price = $250 per week
well appointed kitchen
nice patio area
large windows

Negatives

no elevator - 3rd floor
AC is a small unit in master BR only
no bath tub
due to loft BR's - little privacy (could be a plus!)

Overall this place if HUGE and a good deal for the money. Neighborhood is central, but not lively. However taxi is 5 pesos from Recoleta. See link for details on web site.

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propview.php?view=475&bookit=

I recommend this for size versus money. Good place for a party!

Dboy
12-21-03, 03:10
I prefer renting an apartment over a hotel, even for a week or so, for several reasons. It’s very private. Some have a doorman part time or full time, but all have been very cool about guests. Typically there is a beautiful lobby of marble and hard wood, large glass windows, and an elegant feel to it. The chicas have been impressed.

Of the 3 apartments that I’ve rented, 2 were thru a woman named Paz. She speaks good English. She represents about 20 apartments near Ayacucho and Guido, excellent locations in Recoleta, right near Hotel Etoile and Restaurant Row.

Both apartments that I rented thru Paz are spacious, have a small, extra bedroom (that got used once), are really clean, and have balconies. They have CD players and cable TV, a full kitchen with plates, glasses and silverware, and are stocked with cheese, crackers, milk, OJ, coffee, tea, bread, etc.

There are spare sheets and towels, and a washing machine. Maid service is twice a week. Typically, US$300 per week +US$15 for the apt. phone.

There are no taxes, unlike the high hotel taxes, and she includes an airport pickup for free. Both times I was able to stay and use! the apartment until 7:00pm on my day of departure. No need to store bags or negotiate a late checkout.. She will then arrange a driver to the airport for less than $P40 if you want. Makes that last day a good one.

When you arrive, you can walk a block or 2 to the Disco supermarket and stock up on inexpensive wine, champagne, Coca Lite (a favorite of the chicas I entertained), fruit salad, prepared foods, candy or packaged deserts. Nothing costs much, but when a cutie is leaving and you give her a treat to go, she smiles.

To contact Paz, her cell is 15-4069-9446, email: housingba@aol.com. In February, she’s pretty full, so contact early. She knows me as Daniel. My last apartment was 1853 Ayacucho, Floor 9b. It looks onto the back of Hotel Etoile, but also has views of Recoleta Cemetery, Rio del Plata and the Artisans Fair (on weekends).

JohnGuapo
12-22-03, 14:23
Glad you had fun in the famous apartment on Ayacucho. If only the walls could talk in that place!!!

HappyGoLucky
01-21-04, 00:54
Anyone looking for an apartment might also check these sites:

http://www.apartmentsrental.com.ar
http://www.ba-h.com.ar/Deptosin.htm
http://www.balodging.com

Otto, VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!

MeGustaBoliches
01-22-04, 18:50
Havana,

I, too, have visited Jackson's apartment and agree with your assessment. Perfecto....

Disfruta su experiencia!

I have seen Saint's Havana trip pix on another board. Also his pix from Brazil and trip reports from Europe. He does get around!

Me gustan boliches

Dickhead
02-06-04, 17:05
In case any of you is a cheap fuck like me, Hotel Marbella has an apartment for 84 pesos a night with no minimum stay.

HappyGoLucky
02-06-04, 18:10
Esteemed Dickhead,

The Hotel Frossard offers rooms for U$S 20 per night. I have heard it's good, but I don't know if it's chica friendly cause I haven't stayed there. The location is very close to the Florida Street mall, thus close to Cattos, Hook, Ness, etc. So you're in gay Paris huh? The chica scene there just can't compare to our beloved BA!

Hotel Frossard
Tucuman 686 Cap. Fed.
Bs. As. Tel: 54-11-4322-1811
http://www.hotelfrossard.com

Marcos
02-10-04, 02:36
Dollars 84 a night is ridicuously expensive in BsAs. You can spend 30 and have own bathroom, tv and a/c, in Congreso (calle Mitre, Rivadavia). There is stuff for less but then the places gets a bit rought like the level of the hotels where the working girls are staying. I know of one and it's quite an interesting place, they can't bring clients in, but imagine the fun if a crazy monger would rent a room there. Altough, at daytime he would probably not touch any of them as the trasformation after demakup is quite impressing.

With usd 20 or a little more (depend how long you stay) you can rent a nice aparthotel in Recoleta. Double or triple that amount, (and makes one look very rich to my eyes) and you have fine aparthotels like ArtSuites. I look back with nostalgy to the glorious days when I was staying there, how many sweet memories. Sure, at 3.85 pesos for the dollar change, it looked cheap for the services rendered.

I read writing about usd 110+ hotel suites, I respect all tastes but fail to understand what's the purpose except for an hi-roller sex marathon, thta BTW is not likely to be allowed by the managent.

Prokofiev
02-10-04, 04:46
One option is to look for a monthly rental even if you are only staying for several weeks. I had a very nice apartment on Suipacha for 31 days @ $420 US including CableTV, telephone and all utilities. That's under $14 a night. If you are only staying 14 days they will be happy to check you out early and re-rent the apt. So that ends up costing you $28 a night. Still a bargain. Even a 10 day stay results in a reasonable $42. More room and a kitchen as well. Some of the girls are a bit more concerned with visiting a non-hotel for the first time, but I had no problem convincing them. Another option to consider . . .

Dickhead
02-10-04, 08:35
Stoly, clearly I said it was 84 pesos, not 84 dollars. No self respecting Dickhead is going to pay 84 dollars. And to clarify, that is for the apartment and so cannot be compared to the Hotel Frossard, although thanks for the info, HGL. But Paris? I wish. I am in England (Suffolk). It sucks but a guy's gotta earn some dollars (yes dollars, not pounds) to convert to pesos to spend in Argentina.

However, I wrote the Marbella on Saturday with my reservation request and they have not yet responded so that could certainly be a downside.

PK YGM.

Marcos
02-13-04, 20:25
DH, my mistake, I meant pesos as well, I just wanted to comunicate that even if you got what looks as a good deal there is always room for improvement in BsAs. I hope your fund-raising effort is going well in England and will be pleased to meet you on your next trip. take care!

LA Larry
02-21-04, 00:54
Hey Fellas--

I've always stayed in hotels in BA and this time around I'm looking to stay in a really swanky apartment like Saint's or Jackson's places in Recoleta.

Unfortunately, those places are not availaible March 3-21.

Can anyone recommend a great apartment in Recoleta for those dates?

Note--virtually none of the apartments that you see on the websites look pretty standard (nothing close to Jackson's place insofar as quality).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks--

LA Larry

MeGustaBoliches
02-21-04, 08:26
yes, try www.internetvacationzone.com.

Their apartment on Posadas and Cerrito is opposite the Four Seasons Hotel. A very swanky neighborhood. Nice furniture in the apartment, but the carpet is a bit old. Good rates in an upscale area and good building (not as good as Saint's building on Libertad, but in the same area).

MeGustaBoliches
02-21-04, 08:31
LA,

Here are 3 more options:

Try www.homes.com.ar This is a real estate agency that handles short term rentals. Some very nice apartments.

Or try: http://realestate.escapeartist.com/P-22741/
This is an upscale apartment in Recoleta.

www.buenosairesflat.com.ar is another option in Palermo Hollywood, a trendy area about a 5 peso cab ride from Recoleta.

OttoGraham
02-21-04, 12:33
In November Mayra located a very nice apartment for me one block down from the Patio Bullrich Mall on Posadas. IIRC the rate was US$50 a night for a short stay. But I found that truthfully, I prefer to stay in a hotel for such visits. Capt Dave's experience reinforces this opinion for me.

-Uncle Otto

LA Larry
02-21-04, 22:41
Otto & Me Gusta--

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, I suppose what I am going to do is rent a suite at Loisuites for the first couple of days and then try to hook up with Mayri and ask to personally inspect the nicest apartments that she has listed.

(I really want this trip to be special because I will be playing house for about 5 days with my chica from MDP and it tends to get very claustrophobic in a regular hotel room-no matter how nice the neighborhood).

My great fear is that I rent an apartment "sight unseen" and then it ends up feeling dreary/seedy or the bed is lumpy, etc. (Again, lots of those apartments on the sites appear rather average -- no better than a nice suite at the Etoile).

In fact Jackson's joint on Argentina Private is far and away the nicest apartment of the hundreds I've inspected online. What's up with that!? Our fearless leader really struck gold with that place.

Happy Mongering
(Its going to be good getting out this never ending winter in Moscow!)

Jaimito Cartero
03-03-04, 22:54
I have been checking some of the links provided below. I've seen what look like some very nice places at reasonable (US$150-$250) a week. I've seen that some list a month's damage deposit, however. Is this normal, or do they actually ask it for a 2 week stay?

One Tree Hill
03-13-04, 17:19
My Apt in Micro Center

www.bytargentina.com

click on area - San Martin

2 BR San Martin y MT de Alvear

On my block is a laundry, cafe, restaurant, grocery, chica club(Approach), pub, bar and anything else you may need.

It is 2 blocks from Cordoba where you find Cafe Orleans,
3 blocks from Suipach where you find Hook, Cattos, Pipers Club and Ness.

If one so desires half block in the direction of Cordoba is a street called - Tres Sargentos - this street has a few SW. One looks pretty good a tall blond - not my bag

The apt has 2 br - a double and a single, kitchen and living room
cable tv, AC in main BR, large fridge, micro wave, stove etc.
It also has a full bath with tub and a half bath off of the kitchen.

No security guard, but of course the entrance is locked.

Phone service for local calls, weekly maid service included

I love the location near Florida st and the above mentioned monger locations. A short ride to Recoleta and near Floroda and Lavalle for walking and shopping.

Rate - $225 USD per week plus one week deposit

Negatives - needs more dishes and glasses, lumpy couch

Overall - great bargain and location. Great for the hobby.

Jaimito Cartero
03-16-04, 21:09
I've got a couple of prospective apartments and I'm not sure how far they are from the the action. Any one area closer or better than the other?

#1 Paraná and Santa Fe Ave. (Recoleta)

#2 Arenales and Laprida I (Palermo)

I'm assuming the Recoleta is closer to the action, but I haven't been able to find a city map that has both the area name and streets online.

Dick for Brains
03-16-04, 23:58
Jaimito,

#1 is about 7 blocks from the prime intersection for mongering in Recoleta whereas #2 is about 13 blocks away.

#1 is closer than #2 to the action in the microcentre as well. #2 might be in more of a residential area as it is a bit further away from the center of the city.

Having said all of this, neither is particularly far, less than a $2 cab ride from the action. It's up to you if you prefer to be located more centrally (#1) or perhaps more typically residential (#2.)

Hope this helps.

DfB

Jaimito Cartero
03-17-04, 08:33
DFB - Okay, thanks for the info. If anyone has a link to an online map that is zoomable, and has the neighborhood names, I'd appreciate it.

Andres
03-17-04, 09:37
Jaimito:

www.cybermapas.com.ar
(not that good, but enough for a proxy)

Hope this helps,

Andres

MiddleAgeGuy
03-17-04, 16:15
Another decent map is:
www.pensaenargentina.com/esp2/esp2barrios.htm
Back-track on the address and there are other areas.
MAG

Jim Mac
04-02-04, 18:32
I just received the following message on my e-mail:

Dear Client,

______ I would like to inform you that our operator, Ms. Mayra Brill, is no longer working with us._
Consequently, Argentina Go is not responsible for any service provided by Ms. Brill in the future.
_We look forward to accommodating you on your next visit to Argentina.

Sincerely,
Elena Presa de Preguerman.
C.E.O.
Argentina Go

I received good service from Mayra last month when I rented an apartment in Recoleta. Does anyone know the story here?

Hi,

Mayra severed her relationship with AgrentinaGo last week. She is now making hotel reservations and arranging apartments on her own. You can contact her at mayrabrill@Argentina.com.

Thanks,

Jackson

EZE_Amante
04-13-04, 09:36
I just want to mention a few things about Mayra. I booked my apartment through her back in December for this trip at the Parera apartments. Everything went flawlessly. Even though there had been a price increase, Mayra has a very good relationship with the management, and called them to ensure they would honor the price I was quoted. I stayed in a larger apartment than I asked for because the smaller one was unavailable, and still paid the price I was quoted originally.

Mayra has excellent relationships with many of the hotels and apartment managers, and I will continue to book my arrangements solely with her. She has always been available to help with any of my travel needs.

I recieved the same emails some of the rest of you did, and I will be replying to let Argentinago know they have lost at least this customer. I would never have used their services in the first place, if not for Mayra. I understand that Mayra now has a new domain for Argentina Travel Services, and I'm sure Jackson or Roxanna will be posting contact details.

If anyone has questions about details, drop me a pm.

EZE

Havrum
04-18-04, 23:29
Yes for 30-40 pesos ($10-13) you can get a nice hotel room in the center of the city. People paying anything over 100 pesos a night are suckers getting ripped off. 30 pesos a night may sound really cheap to us, but it gets even cheaper. There are these places called 'Habitacion Disponsibles' that are found all over the city except the ulra-expensive neighborhoods like Recoleta and Palermo. The average cost for a room with a shared bathroom is 20 pesos for 10 days. Thats not 20 pesos per day, but 20 pesos for 10 days! They are basically the same as boarding houses in the inner-cities of the US, which if any of you have ever been really poor you know what I'm talking about. The difference in Buenos Aires is that they cost $20 a month instead of $400 and are located in decent, central neighborhoods instead of neighborhoods like Brownsville, Brooklyn, SW DC, South Chicago or the South Bronx. Buenos Aires is not only a good place to be a rich, jet-setting john, but it's also a pretty good place to be poor too.

I'd be curious to see the reaction of a club chica to someone who takes them to a habitacion disponsible. They'd be horrified for sure, but the ironic thing is that their accomodations in far-flung suburb probably isn't much better. Clarin chicas, Flores and suburban clubs and streetwalkers probably wouldn't care since they are more "downmarket".

Dickhead
04-19-04, 07:24
Those places aren't called "habitaciones disponsibles"; habitación disponible simply means "room available."

Andres
04-19-04, 22:32
Havrum

I don't know where you got such info, but it doesn't seem accurate.

As far as I know, it is VERY rare to find accomodations for less than ar$20 a day in the Capital district, and that means a shared room in floor with 1-shared-toilet-and-shower, nothing really enticing to bring home a chica, let alone the privacy issue.

I would like to know what "central neighborhoods" are your talking about. I admit that Recoleta is upper-scale (upper-middle to high class) but Palermo as a whole is far from being "ultra-expensive".

Andres

Havrum
04-19-04, 22:52
They were $20 or$ 30 AR for *10* days (10 days was the minimum time offered), not 1 day. That is 2 or 3 pesos a day. I walked into several places in Constitucion, Monserrat and Balvanera out of curiosity and all were in that price range, all three of which are as about as central as a neighborhood can be. You see them all over the city in neighborhoods south of Rivadavia, and in some areas north of Rivadavia as well. Some people here may consider anything outside of Recoleta and Palermo dangerous, but to me the other 90% of the city rarely explored by tourists is perfectly fine, and in many ways more enjoyable. If anything Recoleta is dull compared to many other barrios in the city.

Palermo may not be ultra-expensive to us, but compared to Argentinians and the rest of the city it certainly is.

Dickhead, thanks for the correction. These particular places do not have a name or sign outside like a hotel, only a sign saying "habitacion disponsible". I'm not sure what they are called in Buenos Aires so it is easiest to call them habitacion disponsibles.

Andres
04-20-04, 08:19
Havrum

Most small, old hotels in Montserrat and Balvanera are staight slumps, not a place to enjoy vacations. As of Constitucion, many guys know the area and can certify that is not a friendly neighborhood, hotels there being not cozy either.

I understand that a family of 4 can share a room for ar$150-200 a month, but these people sleep like backpackers, since these rooms have hardwood floors so old that they make noises everytime you step on them, and torn down paint and roof. You have also to share a colective toilet and bathroom (not very clean). Almost guaranteed, no cable TV, Internet, room phone or any other kind of amenity. Also, safe boxes are inexistant and door locks can be easily forced.

These hotels post a sign of "habitaciones disponibles" every time they have rooms availables. Legally, they are hotels, although some people call them "pensiones" since some of them cater to students and retirees.

Palermo is the biggest neighborhood of BA, with areas ranging from plain middle class houses to luxury mansions. As far as Palermo Viejo or Palermo Hollywood, many restaurants and bars are affordable.

Andres

Havrum
04-21-04, 02:23
Yes they certainly our dumps, but they aren't that different or worse than what you would find in the US and in many ways they are better. Neighborhoods like Balvanera and San Cristobal are quality neighborhoods with cafes, parillas, grocery stores all over with good transporation and a pedestrian friendly environment. They areworking class neighborhoods but they aren't the desolate wastelands that boarding houses in the US are often located in. When I travel I am always outside of my hotel room anyways and just need a place to crash, so cheap alternatives like this are viable options for me.

I don't expect people to stay in these places, my point of bringing them up was to illustrate how unbelievably cheap Buenos Aires can be, especially when you get off the beaten track (i.e. Recoleta, Microcentro and portions of Palermo). A place to sleep for $20-30 a month is really astounding. In New York you can't even find a bed in a ratty dormitory hostel for less than $30 a night.

Andres
04-22-04, 00:09
Havrum:

I agree with you that Balvanera and San Cristobal have many coffee shops and restaurants. In fact, it would be nice to rent an APARTMENT there, but not a cheap hotel room.

What I can outline from your statement is "they certainly our dumps". By "our", I surmise that you are an Argentino. Is that correct?

Andres

Biggee85
06-29-04, 01:11
Is it possible to rent an apartment for a week that has 3 bed rooms?

OttoGraham
08-05-04, 19:05
A year ago I was actually in a three-bedroom offered for rent in a nice central location at http://www.parera156.com/. It was a nice place, IMO.

As Andres would say, "Hope this helps."

Uncle Otto

Roxanne
08-21-04, 11:15
Hi, Guys:

This is an offer provided by Mayra and Roxana, for you to stay in a good location, at a good price with appointments already included in the package!!! :)

7 nights with tax and 6 appointments included for: US$ 345 :)

Studio located in Recoleta, just one block from the Four Seasons hotel.
Equipped with:

Air conditioning, Microwave, Toaster and Coffee machine.
This is a beautiful apartment, very luminous and nicely decorated. It's a big ambient with a balcony facing gardens. The kitchen is incorporated to the ambient with a bar with its chairs. There is a comfortable sofa, table for two and also a double bed.
Included services: Towels and bed linen; Once a week domestic service.
Telephone for local calls (limited) Gas, light, expenses, Cable TV.

You need to book it through Mayra at:

MAYRA@ARGENTINATRAVELSERVICES.COM
MAYRABRILL@ARGENTINA.COM

*It's a pre paid package. NO REFUNDS on apartment and appts. Extra appts. will be paid separately.

*Pick up at the airport, provided by Ana. You pay her directly and separately.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY, SPRING IN BUENOS AIRES IS COMING!!!! :)

Kisses, Roxana.

Capt Dave
08-23-04, 15:28
WSG Mansion - Finally !
Rooms available for rent!

We finally have two rooms finished and available for our friends to stay in style while in BsAs.

I'm putting up new pictures as we speak at the mansion website
http://www.purr.com

PM or Email if you want to make a reservation.

David

PS
There's a TV in every room!
:)

ChicagoBoy23
08-23-04, 17:57
BArents contact info

info@barent.com.ar

Coquí
09-01-04, 16:16
My friend is looking for an efficiency apt. in Palermo BA. He is planning to spend 6 mo. in BA. He is looking for an inexpensive efficiency studio preferably first floor or elevator bld. He is 75 and on a budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phish
09-03-04, 13:18
I took your advise and have reserved an apartment in Posadas Street in Recoleta. I don't have the exact address ( Its in my office mail server).

Is this a decent monger location.

Saint
09-03-04, 14:54
Phish,

What is the cross street? I live near Montevideo/Posades. Near Patio Bullrich mall is a pretty posh area. Generally though, anything in Recoleta is ideal for renting an apartment. Nothing is too far away. It's easy to walk around Recoleta and taxi's are cheap and plentiful. Most of the time I just walk unless I'm going to my office. Even then sometimes I walk. It should be a good location.

When you hear "Recoleta" though look at a map. Many owners say they live in Recoleta but it's really Barrio Norte. Everyone here seems to have a different opinion on where Recoleta ends. There is an 'invisible line' that most locals seem to agree on. Usually anything on the other side of Pueyrredon is Barrio Norte. I don't think it matters too much but the flavor does change the further you go out.

Phish
09-08-04, 01:36
Saint,

The Address that Mayra sent me was

Libertad 1154 7th floor apartment "B"
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I dont know what the cross street, is this a nice local.

thanx

Stormy
09-08-04, 08:35
Regarding your apartment on Libertad:

I stayed for a long time at 982 Libertad, two blocks south , and found it to be a very convenient neighborhood. It is only a short walk over to the triangle, Excedra, and other points of interest. There are also plenty of restaurants and places for shopping for the other necessities of life.

Stormy

Master J
09-17-04, 23:17
To All Members Seeking Rentals,

I just wanted to share an experience from my recent trip from BA. I had previously been staying at the Hilton in Puerto Madero, but the novia there and I wanted to try a couple like experience so I was in the hunt for an apartment rental. After trying some other on line agencies, Mayra came to the rescue, emailed pictures of a beautiful Palermo apartment across from the park and the deal was sealed over the phone.

After Ana picked me up on time after some hurricane juggling, we picked her friend Mayra that morning and the apartment was exactly like shown, even nicer than I expected. She cut me a little slack on the deposit after meeting me and her associate was on the button for check out and return of deposit.

Having traveled there much over the year, I was familiar with the area, and trusted the board ever so much on guidance.

So I wanted to pass on that I was a satisfied customer and would review her options again. The massage by Nailea was on the button as well. Thank you all for your time spent guiding other members.

Muchas Gracias!