PDA

View Full Version : Airlines

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Moore
08-30-06, 01:22
It's a subsidiary of Lan (Chile). I've flown Lan Chile several times EZE to SCL, maybe once SCL to MIA and it was fine.

I always try to avoid American Airlines on international routes. They often suck.

Jaimito Cartero
08-30-06, 06:40
I'd gladly fly on LAN before flying on Delta to EZE again. Heck, I'd even fly Copa before DL.:)

Punter 127
08-30-06, 07:14
I flew LAN (Peru) once MIA to EZE, stopped in Lima. I would repeat.

Cowpie
08-31-06, 00:22
I flew LAN (Peru) once MIA to EZE, stopped in Lima. I would repeat.I've flown from Miami to BA with Lan twice in the last 2 years and both times I had no problems.

I just booked a flight in November from Miami to BA (non stop) for a total of $355 USD including all taxes and fees. They're running a deal of $299 + 5,000 KMS for LAN members.

My connecting flight into Miami is with Delta because I'm using FF miles and in my opinion there's only 1 difference $$$.

Bottom line from Ohio to BA for $355.

Check out their site.

http://www.lan.com/index.html

Jaimito Cartero
08-31-06, 02:21
I've flown from Miami to BA with Lan twice in the last 2 years and both times I had no problems.

I just booked a flight in November from Miami to BA (non stop) for a total of $355 USD including all taxes and fees. They're running a deal of $299 + 5,000 KMS for LAN members. The only thing to remember is that most miles plus cash deals get you no frequent flyer miles. If you're an AA or LAN elite this can add up to 17k miles and almost 8k status miles.

Jaimito Cartero
08-31-06, 13:50
It seems that reward tickets have become available again (at least on CO) for standard levels to EZE. I managed to snag a Biz class ticket, which I've been looking for 6 months.

Timba8
09-06-06, 20:10
Phew!

Flying to BA was easy, but leaving last night was a lot harder than my trip in May.

There was an addtional layer of immigration before check in, and full opening of carryon bags at the gate. Lines were long at every check and took a full two hours to run that gauntlet on a Tuesday night. This was in addition to the other checks we had before.

The point of this? Um well, bring plenty of time and patience to EZE.

Moore
09-07-06, 03:50
Always try to be the last in line. Leave Recoleta 2 hours before departure.

And fly Aerolineas Argentinas if you can, especially for flights to Brazil or Chile. You clear check-in and customs in about 10 minutes in that terminal. Ditto for arrivals, there are tons of agents in the Aerolineas terminal.

Bangkok Dave
09-07-06, 14:07
The only thing to remember is that most miles plus cash deals get you no frequent flyer miles. If you're an AA or LAN elite this can add up to 17k miles and almost 8k status miles.Also remember that LAN Argentina and LAN Ecuador will not garner any FF miles on AA. Like LAN Chile does. (IIRC)

Dave

Moore
09-07-06, 14:15
Yes, one of the disadvantages of Aerolineas is that they are partnered with basically no one. They award points, not miles.

But if you're going to use them several times that's not a problem. I flew them to Spain, Brazil, others and then used my points for domestic awards to Bariloche, Mar del Plata.

And they'll even let you go into cockpit sometimes, in flight.

El Greco
09-08-06, 18:21
Pappa Benito that maybe true for the rest of the world except latin America.

Last April all flights from Rio and Sao to anywhere in europe were heavily overbooked, including Varig, for many-many days.

Now with the absence of Varig (it was the biggest company in the area) I don't think there will be any price cut in the region.

El Greco

Walnuts
09-16-06, 22:47
For those who said prices would be going down, you were right.

From LAX to EZE, Delta and American Airlines have airfares around $680 (including taxes / fees) for the time around Thanksgiving. These lower fares started this week. Previously, flights were over $900. Delta's rates jump up and down. With patience, you may get an even lower rate.

I tend to not like Aerolíneas Argentinas because they went on strike last year while I was in Argentina. Since unions in Argentina have a reputation for strikes, I prefer not to take any chances (since my vacation schedules are not flexible). The strike did not affect other airline flights, although strikers blocked part of the road into the airport and many people had to take a long walk to get to the airport.

Monger514
10-25-06, 19:27
Delta is advertising a sale to BA right now, 469 one way from ATL. http://www.delta.com.

El Aleman
10-26-06, 06:56
Between Dec. 20 - 28, everything seems full. On Lufthansa and Swiss, more or less only full fare business (€ 7000) is left, also my attempt to spend my miles failed. Varig can still be booked, but the last thing I want is spend the holidays on some airport because they don't fly.

El Alemán

Hunt99
10-26-06, 11:17
between Dec. 20 - 28, everything seems full. On Lufthansa and Swiss, more or less only full fare business (€ 7000) is left, also my attempt to spend my miles failed. Varig can still be booked, but the last thing I want is spend the holidays on some airport because they don't fly.

El AlemánDefinitely avoid Varig. I had a friend stranded for 2 weeks last summer because of their problems.

El Aleman
10-26-06, 15:41
I sure as hell will!

I finally managed to get something with LH for around € 1200 to Sao Paolo, and another 259 on to EZE, but that was by far the cheapest available.

Varig is certainly one big source of the problem, as they had several flights from Sao Paolo and Rio running to various European cities, and all thet's gone, and the others don't put in additional planes, but are just happy that they can sell the expensive seats as well.

There still is Alitalia and Air France, and Iberia, but I have my reasons to avoid those. And going through Atlanta with Delta also is not exactly fun.

El Alemán

T Tuna
10-26-06, 16:39
You might also look into connecting through Miami with LAN or (gag) American. I haven't checked the pricing but I do remember seeing a lot of flights south before.

Hope this helps.

Tuna

Bangkok Dave
10-26-06, 23:01
Delta is advertising a sale to BA right now, 469 one way from ATL. http://www.delta.com.$938 plus taxes and fees. Not as bad as before. I hate that "469* one way based on a round trip" bullshit.

AA has a fare with a layover of about four hours each way in Miami for $764.50 all in. A long time to sit in an airport.

Dave

El Greco
10-27-06, 15:04
El Aleman

You may also check www.airmadrid.com from Madrid or Roma.

They run daily flights to EZE and double flights on weekends.

You will not get the service of AF or LH but they will still get you there.

Unfortunately they do not have traffic rights for triangular flights. Eg a stopover at Fortaleza on the way to / from EZE.

El Greco

Stoker Star
12-05-06, 00:44
I used a travel agency GO Argentina today. I struggled as they could not approve a credit card, the bank had to and then they could not print a ticket the airline had to email them.

Veronica and Celina were great. Also very good looking. Located at 1424 Tucman near Urguary.

Jaimito Cartero
12-13-06, 16:05
AA has a fare with a layover of about four hours each way in Miami for $764.50 all in. A long time to sit in an airport.I always book my international connections with a 2-3 hour window, in case of weather or mechanical delays. If you're at least a Platinum in status with AA or a partner airline, you can use the lounge for free.

Jaimito Cartero
12-13-06, 16:08
Without going into the datails, 2 recent experiences are enough to tell me to never use this airline again! They are not 'customer friendly'!Copa can be hit or miss. They're real assholes about being checked in at *least* one hour before the flight (ex-US) and they will refuse you even if you're there in 59 minutes. They're business class is okay, if you don't have to pay for it (free upgrades for Continental elites) although going through Panama and flying 8 hours segments on a 737 aren't my normal idea of fun.

Nick Danger
12-13-06, 16:43
I used a travel agency GO Argentina today. I struggled as they could not approve a credit card, the bank had to and then they could not print a ticket the airline had to email them.

Veronica and Celina were great. Also very good looking. Located at 1424 Tucman near Urguary.I used them last year too. Veronica is a cutie!

Big Friendly
12-14-06, 21:59
Check www.kayak.com. They index all the flights. I like electronic tickets so I don't have to deal with Travel Agencies. There are rarely Credit Card problems unless it is the Customer's fault.

David

Thomaso276
02-26-07, 22:24
I am trying to get some info from American Airlines for an upcoming flight to USA and the phone system is not working - after long menu options it gets a busy tone or repeats menu. Then I realized that the weather problems up there are causing havoc! So thousands must be using the system. In any event a quick question for the pros:

I know there is a limit of 50 lbs per check in bag, the AA website says there is a charge for additonal weight (like up to 70 lbs each) but someone told me there are times you cannot bring more than 50 lbs in each bag regardless of your wilingness to pay more.

Any thoughts as I want to bring back two overstuffed bags. Thanks

Captain9026
02-26-07, 23:49
The 25 bucks over 50 is correct. I do not know about a second bag. I had a bag just a tad over 50lbs and a light back pack. I switched a few things around and brought the bag down below 50. Beat giving away the 25 bucks.

Daddy Rulz
02-27-07, 06:14
United charged 25 for domestic but international was a different story. Overweight can be 100s of dollars depending on the market. I would hit the AA store down on Sante Fe (if I'm remembering right thats even close to you) and ask them. I would also request a copy of the policy in case some pelotuda at EZE decides to make up their own policy.

Gandolf50
02-27-07, 17:13
Extra bags, including sports equipment (skis / scuba etc.) start at $100. Over 50lbs there is also a surcharge depending on much over. Over a certain size is also a surcharge! AA has given me some slack on occasion being a Platinum member, but they do like to collect those fees!

Hunt99
02-27-07, 17:47
Hi Sidney,

''pelotuda'' is a word in Spanish. It means "an idiot who lives in a Spanish-speaking country and yet takes great pride in his steadfast refusal to learn any Spansh".

Thanks,

JacksonI thought the word for that was "Jackson"?

I actually like the sound of "pelotuda," however.

The definition, according to a French-Spanish dictionary. Even with my bad French I got the idea! :)

pelotuda
adj
amer fam (imbécil) crétin(e)

http://www.wordreference.com/esfr/pelotuda

Hi Hunt,

What leads you to believe that I can't speak any spanish?

Thanks,

Jackson

Fly99
02-27-07, 22:19
I have used Delta Buddy passes and they are great. Cost from New York is around USD $300 and you have to fly through Atlanta. There are a few conditions though. First, you are flying stand-by. That means you are only getting on the plane if there is room. With only one flight per day from ATL-EZE this may mean an overnight in ATL. Ouch! However, what I do is go on delta.com and their system will show you how many seats are left. If you are willing to fly last-minute and delta.com shows lots of seats left you should be good to go. As a huge plus, if there are seats you will get bumped to business class. Sweet for that 9-hour flight down to paradise.

Note that ATL-EZE flights are usually full. All us mongers filling up them damn planes! What I usually do is fly return to Santiago, Chile (SCL) and then purchase a regular return LAN flight on lan. Com for USD $125 (USD $80 plus taxex) So my total cost is around $425 with the option of spending time in Chile (which is great for me!

Buddy passes are not for everyone. But if you have a flexible schedule you can save some good cash. If you are looking for passes, you can sometimes find people selling them at http://atlanta.craigslist.org. Be discreet. Delta employees are not allowed to accept cash for their passes.

Happy flying!

Fly

Captain9026
02-27-07, 22:28
My info on AA $25.00 is good as of 1-18-07. The second bag is not known by me but the first bag is sure.

Daddy Rulz
02-28-07, 03:40
Sr Dhead if you care to correct me feel free, or PM me.

Beludo=Bullshitting asshole.

Like the guys that post about pulling chicas from Black and Madaho who either don't charge them or give them the money back. Que Boludo!

Pelotudo=idiotic asshole.

Like the time I confused Moore and Stowe, not the people just the names. I said Moore was a sick twisted disgusting assfucker when actually that is Stowe. Que pelotudo! Because I tarnished Moores reputation through stupidity, nothing to do with Stowe as EVERYBODY knows He is a sick twisted disgusting assfucker.

These are not exact and both are very versatile words, kind of like fuck in English. Kind of, no word has achived that kind of versatility except fuck. General guidelines for use are as such.

When somebody does something wrong through stupidity or you are faced with an unpleasent experiance because of stupidity, Pelotudo. When on the other hand somebody does you dirty it's Beludo.

Both words can be used in referance to a person or a situation.

Not being a native speaker I'm sure I'm not exact, Andres or Anna please feel free to add but I'm pretty close.

Out for Flesh
02-28-07, 07:57
Pelo= chica hair. Tuda=puta or chica *****?Not at all. "Pelotud@" comes from "Pelota", a slang to refer to the bollocks. Pelota means originally "ball" as in "football". "Balón" is a synonym.

Now, "Pelotudo" would mean "having big bollocks" in the sense of having the guts to do something, but it has degenerated to mean "being so careless / lacking of respect / absentminded / to do / say / think something regrettable / stupid / inconvenient / unexpected / unsupposed /", but probably without being a terrible, unforgivable offense. As pointed out elsewhere in the forum, there are many subtetlies in using those kind of semi-taboo words.

Sorry about the off topic.

Hunt99
03-02-07, 13:04
Hi Hunt,

What leads you to believe that I can't speak any spanish?

Thanks,

JacksonJackson actually speaks excellent Spanish. In fact, the last time we had lunch together, he spoke with the waiter: "Agua without gas, por favor."

Out for Flesh
03-02-07, 21:44
Daddy--Pelotuda = idiotic asshole. Out For Flesh--but it has degenerated to mean "being so careless / lacking of respect / absentminded / to do / say / think something regrettable / stupid / inconvenient / unexpected / unsupposed /", but probably without being a terrible, unforgivable offense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I was at the airport, the Pelotuda (Skirt) was so eager to charge me the $25 overweight fee, that she forgot to charge me a $50 ticket change!So she was being so careless that she did something she was not supposed to. It fits:-)

Jaimito Cartero
05-03-07, 19:01
American Airlines has a decent price out of Atlanta until the December of this year. There are taxes and a fuel surcharge on this, so about $645 total. Some dates are blacked out, but this is about $500 cheaper than any other fare out of Atlanta. Grab one while you can, as this is probably an AA attack on Delta. (So you might see a retaliation, DFW-EZE fare)

Punter 127
05-03-07, 21:11
American Airlines has a decent price out of Atlanta until the December of this year. There are taxes and a fuel surcharge on this, so about $645 total. Some dates are blacked out, but this is about $500 cheaper than any other fare out of Atlanta. Grab one while you can, as this is probably an AA attack on Delta. (So you might see a retaliation, DFW-EZE fare)I just booked one, total $649.20. Even with my cost to get to Atlanta I will still save over $300 perhaps more.

Thank you!

Elusive
05-03-07, 22:17
I used this "Bucket Shop" twice and saved 50% off all the major travel engines.

http://www.1800argentina.com/english/?OVRAW=Argentina&OVKEY=argentina&OVMTC=standard

Jaimito Cartero
05-03-07, 23:40
I just booked one, total $649.20. Even with my cost to get to Atlanta I will still save over $300 perhaps more.

Thank you!It's hard to find many good prices to BA these days. Glad I could be of help.

If you're elite on American Airlines, this will definitely work out good for you. If you not, American Airlines has a challenge program, where you can get Gold elite with just one flight to BA. If you have more flights within a 90 day period, you can even get up their Platinum level (100% bonus miles) I've helped a couple of friends to this recently, and the benefits sure help out in the long run.

Jaimito Cartero
05-03-07, 23:45
I used this "Bucket Shop" twice and saved 50% off all the major travel engines.

http://www.1800argentina.com/english/?OVRAW=Argentina&OVKEY=argentina&OVMTC=standardIf you could find fares at half the $649 listed, I'm sure they would have tons of business. I checked dates, and only find that they're giving the same pricing for the American Airline flights, but with an additional $20 fee added on.

Jaimito Cartero
05-11-07, 08:25
If anyone wants some super cheap Business class tickets out of BA, pm me in the next half hour.

Fly to JFK or LGA for $550 or so, with the international segments in Business Class. Book on www.delta.com - Works *from* EZE only!

Jaimito Cartero
05-11-07, 15:29
It appears that that Delta has pulled the $552 RT fare. This was over a $5000 discount off their normal price. You can always try some of the online travel agents to see if they still have the fare loaded, but it doesn't look good.

If you were lucky enough to book the fare, and have any questions, I've cleaned out my PM's.

Daddy Rulz
05-11-07, 16:43
It appears that that Delta has pulled the $552 RT fare. This was over a $5000 discount off their normal price. You can always try some of the online travel agents to see if they still have the fare loaded, but it doesn't look good.

If you were lucky enough to book the fare, and have any questions, I've cleaned out my PM's.One time United was running a special from IAD to LHR, it was supposed to be $999.00 and somebody entered it at $9.99. It was only available for 30 minutes or so but because it was a published fare they had to honor the tickets. A bunch of travel agents called all their buddies and sold a mountain of them.

Jaimito Cartero
05-11-07, 18:53
One time United was running a special from IAD to LHR, it was supposed to be $999.00 and somebody entered it at $9.99. It was only available for 30 minutes or so but because it was a published fare they had to honor the tickets. A bunch of travel agents called all their buddies and sold a mountain of them.No, not a mistake. Just a really, really, good advertised special.:) a $5500 off sale.

I believe it was "in the market" for over 12 hours. I discovered it after it had been out about 4 hours, and tried to figure it out (what cities you could use it from, stopovers and such) for the next couple of hours.

DosLuna
05-15-07, 01:28
Newbie here and have been reading the forum. Question: Its about 5 weeks away for my 1st trip to BA and flights out of LAX are over $1000. Checking kayak, sidestep, 1800argentine. Airlines, orbitz, discountairfare, and others) they were $800 plus several days ago. Will prices fluctuate or continue rising? I'm thinking of waiting a few more days to see if they go back down. Does anyone have a take on this? Appreciate it. Dosluna

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-07, 03:18
About $900 is the cheapest I see right now on LAN. (If you book on their website, with a 3% savings) Pricing does vary, so check all LA area airports, plus SFO and LAS. You can sometimes save $200-$300 from these airports. Otherwise, you'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy one now.

You can also try Hotwire or Priceline, if you don't care about routing or getting frequent flyer credit. However, it's usually not worth doing so.

DosLuna
05-15-07, 04:43
About $900 is the cheapest I see right now on LAN. (If you book on their website, with a 3% savings) Pricing does vary, so check all LA area airports, plus SFO and LAS. You can sometimes save $200-$300 from these airports. Otherwise, you'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy one now.

You can also try Hotwire or Priceline, if you don't care about routing or getting frequent flyer credit. However, it's usually not worth doing so.Thanks for the info. When I first checked it a couple of days ago, it was about $800. Just purchased it for about $900, considering it might go up again. Btw, kayak indicated there were only 4 seats left on the return flight, but when I checked out the seating preference on the LAN site, there were tons of seats available!

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-07, 06:00
Btw, kayak indicated there were only 4 seats left on the return flight, but when I checked out the seating preference on the LAN site, there were tons of seats available!Some travel sites report only a few seats, often to spur you into buying before it disappears. Some carriers also only report a certain number of seats (4, 6 or 9) on each flights fare class, but there are usually more.

$900 isn't bad. The cheapest I've ever flown to EZE from LAX is $399 plus tax. Maybe they'll have another fare war, and tickets will go way down. It's best to set some fare alerts on www.farecompare.com, that way you'll get an email when the price drops. You may have to monitor for 6 months to find a killer deal, but they do usually come.

Easy Go
05-15-07, 22:40
Many people don't have preassigned seats so lots of open seats on a seat map doesn't mean anything.

I've never had much luck trying to predict what is going to happen with prices either short-term or long-term.

Artisttyp
05-17-07, 11:20
The story begins when I booked on LAN from NYC to Buenos Aires connecting in Lima.

When I left NYC the weather was great no clouds in the sky and the plane was already at the gate when I arrived. Still we started boarding around 40 minutes late then we sat on the runway at JFK for another hour. Before the plane even took off I had missed my connection to BA from Lima.

When I arrived to Lima there was a LAN attendant waiting for me with my next boarding pass to Santiago, Chile where I would be connecting again to BA. I had to wait 2 and a half hours in Lima for that flight. Again with security etc. We get to Chile then again security and another 2 and a half hour wait. Total travel time to BA from NYC was just under 24 hours including airport transfers etc.

Mind you I know that AA has non stops 10 hours from NYC but the seats don't go back and they have no TVS etc. I thought Id go a little out of my way and connect in lima for the extra luxury that LAN offers but it backfired on me.

The moral of the story is fly direct whenever possible. Forget the miles programs and all that crap and just focus on getting there. I guess in a perfect world 1 hr 15 minutes is enough to change planes but the airles are far from perfect.

The flight attendants were absolutely gorgeous which made it even more frustrating. I was fed the entire way even on a 1 and half hour flight from santiago. America sucks! Lol

I happened to have met a heavy metal band on the plane . They are from brazil called ANGRA. They invited me to their concert this Friday. Has anyone heard of them? They have a record deal.

Jaimito Cartero
05-17-07, 16:51
The story begins when I booked on LAN from NYC to Buenos Aires connecting in Lima.

When I left NYC the weather was great no clouds in the sky and the plane was already at the gate when I arrived. Still we started boarding around 40 minutes late then we sat on the runway at JFK for another hour. Before the plane even took off I had missed my connection to BA from Lima. I always try to book a minimum 2 hours on international connections. If it's from a super busy airport, or prone to weather or ATC delays, I'll add another hour. It sounds like they still did a good job getting you there.

My CO plane out of IAH was delayed about an hour on the ground, but still got in early to EZE.

Let's just hope that the Air Traffic Controllers don't go on strike while we're leaving!

T Tuna
05-17-07, 22:28
I'm sure you noticed the difference between the LAN response and what America or United would have done to you. If you'd flown American they'd have just cancelled and left you on our own to find out that they just scheduled you for the flight 2 days later. United would have done the same. Jaime is right on the 2 hr connection for international unless you know you're on the same plane (LAN from LAX via Santiago comes to mind. Generally I've found that Continental and LAN seem to be the best at getting me there with the least hassle. I can't speak for Delta since I haven't used them on an international flight.

DosLuna
05-18-07, 01:49
I always try to book a minimum 2 hours on international connections. If it's from a super busy airport, or prone to weather or ATC delays, I'll add another hour. It sounds like they still did a good job getting you there.

My CO plane out of IAH was delayed about an hour on the ground, but still got in early to EZE.

Let's just hope that the Air Traffic Controllers don't go on strike while we're leaving!Here is a recent link on the strike. Not much is said other than the standard 'in talks' of negotiations.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070517/20070517006133.html?.v=1

Just purchased my LAN ticket from LAX to EZE with a stopover at Santiago, Chile. Hope I don't run into any problems.

Artisttyp
05-18-07, 02:03
Yes I will be fair and say LAN did there best and were attentive to my needs. If it was American Airlines I would have been left eating out of a garbage can sleeping on the curb.

Strikes I hear. Well thats nice to know. The subway (subte) was on strike today as well and it was total caos.

Be aware that elections for BA proper are in July and for the president in October. Something you should consider before coming or should you? Better to ask an expat living here but be aware ot it.

El Perro
05-18-07, 12:10
Strikes I hear. Well thats nice to know. The subway (subte) was on strike today as well and it was total caos.

Be aware that elections for BA proper are in July and for the president in October. Something you should consider before coming or should you? Better to ask an expat living here but be aware ot it.Good point. The brinksmanship has started and will continue in the run up to the elections. The unions will be trying to wrest as many concessions from the guvmint as possible. In the bigger picture, Kirchner's kid glove treatment of the left will eventually bite him. Biting the hand that feeds them and all that. And so it goes.

Starfe
05-20-07, 02:50
American presents 767-300 business class upgrade during European tour.

Tuesday May 15, 2007

American Airlines' business class upgrade for its 767-300s is progressing as planned, the carrier said last week in Brussels during a tour to present the new cabin.

By summer, all 767-300s operating on Europe-New York JFK routes will be refurbished with the "next-generation" business class and at year end the process should be completed on its entire fleet of 58 -300s, which in addition to transatlantic services are operated on select routes within the US and to Latin America.

The overhaul is part of a broader program to upgrade premium service across its fleet of 124 757s, 73 767s and 47 777s. MD Sales and Marketing-Europe, Middle East and Africa Maria Sebastian told ATWOnline the carrier is investing up to $500 million spread over four years on the upgrade. "This will put us back a level playing field with our competitors from Asia and Europe," she said, admitting that AA, "like all other US carriers, has not been in a [financial] position to really invest in product and services."

She added that the airline's "business class seats date from the '90s. In 2006, we produced our first annual profit in six years and this year's first quarter marked the first profitable Q1 since 2000. This allows us to reinvest in our product."

The new 767-300 business class features Recaro lie-flat seats in a 2-2-2 configuration, Panasonic IFE with audio and video on demand and 10.6-in. Screen, state-of-the-art lighting and larger overhead bins. The Recaro seat is an "exclusive" design for AA, Sebastian noted. Features include a "track forward" capability allowing passengers to move forward while in an upright position and "industry-first" interlocking tray tables--one drops down from the seat back and a second lifts from the center console. The seat width is 58.4 cm. (23 in. And it extends to a length of 195.6 cm.

The carrier's 777-200 fleet will feature a similar next-generation business class, but in a 2-3-2 configuration. A "test" retrofit of a 777 is planned for this summer and fleet-wide refurbishment should begin this fall. Upgrades for 757s are planned for early next year

El Perro
06-01-07, 19:38
I am arranging a brief trip to Mendoza next week. I am taking my portena girl and wondering how I might negotiate airfare so I don't get stuck paying gringo prices for both of us. Is there anyway to do that and still use my credit card?

Clueless Dogg

Jaimito Cartero
06-01-07, 23:39
Seems that UA is fighting with Delta on some international flights. You should also check out from ATL and CVG. This is a coach fare, but is a good deal to Buenos Aires. About $530 including tax.

It's possible that that Delta will attack back, so you could check out of UA hubs (IAD, ORD, etc) to see if they match.

Jaimito Cartero
06-02-07, 00:16
Delta is fighting back. So far from Denver and Washington. Maybe ORD and SFO next? If you want a sub $600 ticket, this will be your best chance for a bit.

Jackson
06-02-07, 02:56
I am arranging a brief trip to Mendoza next week. I am taking my portena girl and wondering how I might negotiate airfare so I don't get stuck paying gringo prices for both of us. Is there anyway to do that and still use my credit card?

Clueless DoggDoggboy,

You have a portena girlfriend and you've never introduced her to any of us?

Smart man.

Thanks,

Jackson

AllIWantIsLove
06-02-07, 03:07
I don't think that there is anything you have to negotiate. I took a trip with a chica when I was there not too long ago and the travel agent charged me one price for the chica and, if I recall correctly, charged about twice that amount for my ticket.

You could also let the chica purchase her own ticket.

Bob

Clueless Dogg

Rainot
06-02-07, 04:40
I don't think that there is anything you have to negotiate. I took a trip with a chica when I was there not too long ago and the travel agent charged me one price for the chica and, if I recall correctly, charged about twice that amount for my ticket.

You could also let the chica purchase her own ticket.

Bob.Why do you have to pay twice as much? Air tickets should have only one price, whether it's purchased by locals or by foreigners traveling around the country.

El Perro
06-02-07, 10:52
Why do you have to pay twice as much? Air tickets should have only one price, whether it's purchased by locals or by foreigners traveling around the country.Unless things have changed, both LAN and Argentina Aerolineas tack on a gringo premium. Even some hotels charge a different rate. Whatever the market will bear, eh?

El Aleman
06-04-07, 07:30
Doggboy,

Send the chica to purchase both tickets, and have her pay cash.

I fly frequently Bs. As. - La Rioja, and my tickets are always purchased by my Argentine business partners. It might happen that at check in they require you to pay the foreigner's surcharge, but I think it happened once out of 10 times to me. Usually, the agents could not care less about their employer getting fucked.

The only thing my friends do when buying my tickets is using the spanish form of my first name. Also never made problems.

And, yes, 2 tier pricing sucks. No matter if it is for flights, hotels or chicas.

2 centavos de.

El Alemán

El Perro
06-04-07, 16:18
Thanks to El Aleman and others for their advise. Due to time constraints I was not able to use all advise given, but did get the gf's resident rate, while I am paying non resident. I will be better equiped to perform subterfuge next time.

Tiger
06-04-07, 21:51
Hello,

I just wanted to share some inside info on AA. This October they will be adding their 5th flight to B. A.. This flight will be from ORD. United had this route but they gave it away. So AA will be picking it up if the goverment approves, which I am sure they will. Also United will stop flying to Montevideo on June the 8 of this year.

Take care.

Tiger

Sky Ryder
06-05-07, 12:10
Just in the interest of accuracy. United didn't "give up" the ORD-EZE route. It is a seasonal routing that they only fly during the Argentine summers. Last year they decided not to operate that route, but they retain the authority to operate it.

AA is going to operate the route starting in the North American fall and will also probably operate a MIA-MVD non-stop on a daily basis starting in Sept./ Oct. timeframe.

The last UAL flight to MVD will be tomorrow, June 6th.

Jaimito Cartero
06-05-07, 19:59
DL and AA are attacking each other for their fares to Buenos Aires. So you can get a $640 all in fare on DL from SFO or DEN, or $615 from Atlanta and SLC on AA. These fare wars usually don't last long. If DL or AA have a hub in a city, check the other airline for good fares.

Jaimito Cartero
06-06-07, 05:04
Ah, I love the smell of airlines fighting each other!

Artisttyp
06-06-07, 12:11
I just recieved an email from LAN saying they are doing direct flights from NYC to Chile. There are several planes a day that leave Chile for Buenos Aires so If you miss your connection your not screwed like I was going through Lima.

I still think a coach ticket on LAN to BA through Chile is better than coach on American Airlines. If you can afford business class by all means do AA non stop.

BundaLover
06-07-07, 16:05
Gentlemen,

Delta is having a fare promotion. You can get this fare for ALL this summer and into next March or April of 2008. Yesterday the prices dropped from about 1500$ for December travel to 540 plus tax or 630$ RT. In December only Dec. 24th was at this price, however the complete months of June, July, August, Sept. October had this price as well as after Jan. 16 2008. This morning they are all 950 to 1900$. HOWEVER check every few hours as Delta will drop the price today to below what I paid yesterday (per the same email alert service that informed me yesterday). It comes and goes in a few hours, act quickly.

Jaimito Cartero
06-07-07, 16:53
Not a promotion, as much as a fare war against UA.

Good from WAS, DEN and SFO. Get them while you can!

Gentlemen,

Delta is having a fare promotion. You can get this fare for ALL this summer and into next march or April of 2008. Yesterday the prices dropped from about 1500$ for December travel to 540 plus tax or 630$ RT. In December only Dec. 24th was at this price, however the complete months of June, July, August, Sept. October had this price as well as after Jan. 16 2008. This morning they are all 950 to 1900$. HOWEVER check every few hours as Delta will drop the price today to below what I paid yesterday (per the same email alert service that informed me yesterday) It comes and goes in a few hours, act quickly.

El Perro
06-08-07, 15:20
Mandatory! His private affairs are our business! Ex-communicate him!Hey, what's going on! I'm not in Buenos Aires. Out of the loop?

Jaimito Cartero
06-08-07, 17:12
Mandatory! His private affairs are our business! Ex-communicate him!And what does this have to do with Airlines?

Hunt99
06-08-07, 17:39
Those 600 dollar fares now appear to be gone. 800+ now.

Best of all in the good old days at the nadir of the Argie currency crisis - flights were mainly empty, leading to 400 dollar RT fares. At that price, I even slipped away for a couple of long weekend trips.

Artisttyp
06-11-07, 17:40
I was unpacking today and realized that a zipper had been torn off my suitcase. When I opened it things were tossed all over. The odd thing was all they stole was a carton of cigarettes. I had a 2 pairs of nice shoes 2 ties and a few other things.

I invested $400 in that suitcase just this christmas. I thought I deserved a good suitcase instead of buying a new cheapo every other trip.

By the way the line for Aerolineas Argentinas was sickining. The day before there was overcast so they couldnt fly and man were they paying the price. It was like the caos that goes on with cheapo american carriers.

I made my 55 minute connection. I was so pleased.

Hunt99
06-11-07, 18:32
I was unpacking today and realized that a zipper had been torn off my suitcase. When I opened it things were tossed all over. The odd thing was all they stole was a carton of cigarettes. I had a 2 pairs of nice shoes 2 ties and a few other things.Maybe those shoes aren't as nice as you think?:p

Jaimito Cartero
06-11-07, 18:37
I was unpacking today and realized that a zipper had been torn off my suitcase. When I opened it things were tossed all over. The odd thing was all they stole was a carton of cigarettes. I had a 2 pairs of nice shoes 2 ties and a few other things.

I invested $400 in that suitcase just this christmas. I thought I deserved a good suitcase instead of buying a new cheapo every other trip.Make a claim with the airline. In fact, how do you know it happened at EZE? I've had more theft at some airports in the US (MIA in particular), than at foreign ones.

I get a decent quality of luggage from Costco, usually $100-$120 each piece. They will also replace them, with no questions asked. I usually get 300,000-500,000 miles out of a piece of luggage before it needs to be replaced.

BundaLover
06-12-07, 02:42
No Delta cheap flights for the last several days. I'll post when I see it again. Stay tuned. Does anyone have more information? On the flight that I purchased both SFO-ATL and ATL to EZE was empty on outbound and return.

Jaimito Cartero
06-12-07, 12:12
No Delta cheap flights for the last several days. I'll post when I see it again. Stay tuned. Does anyone have more information? On the flight that I purchased both SFO-ATL and ATL to EZE was empty on outbound and return.It was empty? You bought and flew it already? If you're talking about the seat map, then many people who buy tickets don't select the seats until they get to the airport, or a month or two before the flight. The seat map doesn't mean much, in this case.

The recent fare wars are just that, a war against the other airlines flying the route. They often last just hours, or a few days as it was here. If you see a really good fare, don't sit on your dick, buy it!

Artisttyp
06-12-07, 12:19
I suggest you research your hotel / apartment situation before booking your flight. As I was leaving alot of tourists were coming.

BundaLover
06-12-07, 14:28
Yup. It was the seat map. However note that the airlines don't sell tickets and THEN fill out the seat map. They don't sell 200 seats and leave the seat map empty. I purchased my ticket for 630$ then the next day a friend purchased the same ticket for 545$ with all taxes for the same flights. (for Dec 2007 / Jan 2008). Now they are posting at about 1200$ plus tax and up.

Delta, American and Continental have established routes. Its not like they are expanding new service or openning up new gateways. In a fare war other airlines will compete. I didnt see anyone competing against Delta hence how is it a 'fare war'? They just decided to cut fares in half on their own. They are not cheap today, I just checked.

Jaimito Cartero
06-12-07, 17:00
I suggest you research your hotel / apartment situation before booking your flight. As I was leaving alot of tourists were coming.What the fuck does this mean? There are always lots of people leaving, and lots of people coming. If you're booking a flight 8 months in advance, you *will* be able to find an apartment if you plan ahead. If you wait until one month before, you might have a problem.

Jaimito Cartero
06-12-07, 17:07
Yup. It was the seat map. However note that the airlines don't sell tickets and THEN fill out the seat map. They don't sell 200 seats and leave the seat map empty. I purchased my ticket for 630$ then the next day a friend purchased the same ticket for 545$ with all taxes for the same flights. (for Dec. 2007 / Jan. 2008) Now they are posting at about 1200$ plus tax and up.

Delta, American and Continental have established routes. Its not like they are expanding new service or openning up new gateways. In a fare war other airlines will compete. I didnt see anyone competing against Delta hence how is it a 'fare war'? They just decided to cut fares in half on their own. They are not cheap today, I just checked.What airline did you buy your ticket on? Many airlines have a best fare guarantee, or will refund your money withing 24 hours of purchase. This is a good thing to know, as if a deal comes up, refund the first one, and buy another, or they will often just change the original ticket and give you a refund on the difference.

It was a fare war because UA was attacking Delta's hubs (ATL, SLC, etc) and DL responded by attacking UA hubs (SFO, ORD, DEN) When Delta first entered the market (2005, I think) the others attacked it, so there were a lot of $369 and $399 fares to EZE. Quite nice if you knew about it and scooped up some tickets.

If you know where to look you would have even seen a DFW-EZE fare in Business class for the cost of a coach seat a couple of weeks ago.

BundaLover
06-12-07, 19:40
Delta. The below is cut from their web page. So I could have purchased and the next day swapped out for a savings. Live and learn. I am still happy with 630$ SFO-EZE and my buddy got a fantastic price. Thanks JC.

Risk-free Cancellation.

As part of our Low Fare Guarantee, you can now get a refund for e>tickets you purchased directly through Delta. You don't even have to call.

Once you've bought your e>ticket, you have a day to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.

See full terms and conditions for additional details.

Here's how it works:

Use your name and flight confirmation number or your SkyMiles number and PIN to search for your itinerary. Then, cancel your e>ticket. Your refund will be automatically applied to your original form of payment.

If you purchased your e>ticket at a Delta ticket office or airport ticket counter, e-mail your receipt number (beginning with 006) for a refund of the Direct Ticketing Charge.

Terms & Conditions.

Tickets / Cancellation:

Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the e>ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Available only for e>tickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta. Com or flysong. Com.

Artisttyp
06-12-07, 19:54
[QUOTE=Jaimito Cartero]What the fuck does this mean? There are always lots of people leaving, and lots of people coming. If you're booking a flight 8 months in advance, you *will* be able to find an apartment if you plan ahead. If you wait until one month before, you might have a problem.[/ QUOTE]It means yeah plan ahead and make sure you know more or less where you want to stay. I researched it for almost a month and it was not easy on a budget.

Not everbody has the luxury of booking 8 months in advance or wants to rent an apartment. I prefer hotels.

Thomaso276
06-12-07, 21:08
Newberry Airport in the midst of another disaster. 10,000 people affected by the recent fog cancellations and then the unions went on strike because people got upset with service and employees felt threatened, so they closed down the airport.

Lots of upset travellers who have dealt with this before and tourists who are saying this is their last trip.

Infrstructure continues to break down in the face of growth.

El Perro
06-12-07, 21:27
Newberry airport in the midst of another disaster. 10,000 people affected by the recent fog cancellations and then the unions went on strike because people got upset with service and employees felt threatened, so they closed down the airport.

Lots of upset travellers who have dealt with this before and tourists who are saying this is their last trip.

Infrstructure continues to break down in the face of growth.More evidence of increasing mob mentality out at Jorge Newberry. God knows the airline business here is a mess, but if the airport is socked in due to fog, what are they supposed to do? The response by infuriated customers, including threats and assault, is also an indication of societal breakdown. Seems we have been seeing more of this lately in BsAs. The rabble is restless!

Jaimito Cartero
06-12-07, 23:37
It means yeah plan ahead and make sure you know more or less where you want to stay. I researched it for almost a month and it was not easy on a budget.

Not everbody has the luxury of booking 8 months in advance or wants to rent an apartment. I prefer hotels.To say that you shouldn't book your flight before you have a hotel, is just plain wrong. Unless you're buying a ticket for one or two weeks out, you shouldn't have a problem with finding reasonable lodging. I booked my ticket about two months out, and had no problem whatsoever finding lodging.

I booked the Intercontinental hotel for $50 a night using a special promotion while I was there last month. Much better than the $200 a night they normally charge. Otherwise, a $20-$40 a night apartment works well. If anyone wanted a nice hotel for a good price, I posted the deal months ago. It's probably not available any more.

I think that giving bad advice is much worse than giving no advice at all.

Joe Vato
06-13-07, 02:11
I had a reservation with a certain local firm that rents out apartments. A month later I was told that the owner needed the apartment back and so they offered other accomodations. I did not like any of them so I easily found another company. The key is that if you have a certain budget for lodging then it becomes more difficult. There are plenty of organizations that are available on the net. Of course, be careful. Do not send any funds via wiregram or Moneygram or any type of wire transaction. Once it is gone it is gone. This is why I think Jackson's setup is above the rest. It just happens that this trip I needed a two bedroom in Recoleta.

Joe Vato

Flexible Horn
06-13-07, 05:43
This is why I think Jackson's setup is above the rest. It just happens that this trip I needed a two bedroom in Recoleta.

Joe VatoHow is Jackson's setup above the rest?

Jackson's apt is overpriced @ $90 a night, I don't know the monthly rate 30x$90 = $2700 x 75% = $2025-00

Jackson's apt is in a good location is modern and has good fixtures, but IMHO its overpriced.

I have stayed in 5 different apts in BsAs, used 4 different companys with no major problems. I have always had 100% of my deposit's returned.

So again why is Jackson's setup above the rest?

El Aleman
06-13-07, 05:54
Jackson's apartment is overpriced if he cannot get it rented at his asking rate. As long as he can keep it occupied at this price, I would say he exactly hit the market. If you see a line of wannabe renters all the way to Madaho's, he probably is to cheap.

And, as can be seen frequently here on the board, sometimes he gives specials to fill upcoming vacancies.

It is a different thing, if some consider $90 too much, but that's their personal idea, not to generalize.

2 centavos onto supply and demand.

El Alemán

Jaimito Cartero
06-13-07, 06:42
Unless something has changed in the last week, I think it is no longer Jackson's apartment, so the point is rather moot.

Joe Vato
06-13-07, 12:39
Last time I was in Argentina I rented an apartment from Alojargentina. The two heaters went out over the course of a three days. The weather became very cold and it was difficult to have someone come on over to fix the heater. I was going to buy a portable heater but I was told that they would send a repairman over. When he contacted me he said that Recoleta was a dangerous area and he refused to make an evening repair. The guy did not show up until 10:30 A. M. The next day. It was a real hassle. I was also told that the owner of the apartment would not spring for a new portable heater to replace the old one. He was short on money.

First of all I bet Jackson would of taken care of any problem right away. Second I understand that there is no need to send a deposit for the apartment. As I remember I also had to wait for someone to arrive to let me into the apartment. It was a real hassle. So Jackson's apartment is above the going rate. Maybe he uses it as a business tool to earn money. Who cares? It is smart if he does rent it out for a profit. The area is very good for a visitor but there is less worry during the stay if something does not go right.

Just my two cents.

Joe Vato

Jackson
06-13-07, 17:26
....When he contacted me he said that Recoleta was a dangerous area and he refused to make an evening repair....What? He told you that Recoleta was a "dangerous area".

LOTFLMAO.

I can't think of many places in BA that are safer than Recoleta.

Thanks,

Jackson

Joe Vato
06-13-07, 18:02
I know. This is just one reason I refuse to do business with this one company. In fact there is a police station just around the corner staffed with an officer 24/7 at the entrance of the station. I found Recoleta to be very safe even walking at 4:00 A. M. I just think that the repair man was lazy and did not want to come out to make the repair because of the very cold weather.

El Perro
06-13-07, 18:40
I know. This is just one reason I refuse to do business with this one company. In fact there is a police station just around the corner staffed with an officer 24/7 at the entrance of the station. I found Recoleta to be very safe even walking at 4:00 A. M. I just think that the repair man was lazy and did not want to come out to make the repair because of the very cold weather.He was probably taking a shit upstairs at New Port.

Punter 127
06-13-07, 23:26
To say that you shouldn't book your flight before you have a hotel, is just plain wrong. Unless you're buying a ticket for one or two weeks out, you shouldn't have a problem with finding reasonable lodging. I booked my ticket about two months out, and had no problem whatsoever finding lodging.

I think that giving bad advice is much worse than giving no advice at all.I agree with JC, BsAs has lots of places to stay, but cheap airfare is hard to come by.

Coach 245
06-15-07, 00:52
The radar was OUT again on my last 2 trips to Bs As. My departure flight was on the tarmac for 50 minutes, as all the backed up planes were lined up to leave. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that they were not "blindly" sending planes down the runways. I just wish they had a way to keep the radar up and running! This is not the first couple times it has been out when I have visited. Seems like a pretty important piece of equipment they might want to keep running correctly.

Coach

BundaLover
06-15-07, 01:25
Does Jacksons apartment have functional radar? I don't want to be off topic about 'airlines' so perhaps we can combine them. Do the other apartments have beverage service?

Coach 245
06-15-07, 01:41
I'm sure there have been many temporairly BACKED up problems in Jackson's apartment! I am also confident that many of the flights were able to get off. Finally! The beverage service has got to be an EXTRA perk! LOL.

Coach

Jaimito Cartero
06-15-07, 03:07
When I was leaving EZE a couple of weeks ago, they said a loaner radar was on a boat from Spain, and was supposed to arrive mid June. I think everyone spent 45 minutes to an hour on the tarmac!

El Perro
06-15-07, 08:52
Due to fog and or strikes and or radar problems, my regular "work package" sent via Fedex from Miami is 5 days late, and has been lounging in Montevideo for the past 2 days.

BundaLover
06-15-07, 13:04
Dear Boss (pick company) or Dear Wife (pick name) I can't return to US for work because as you know the airport doesnt have radar. I will stay in BA and promise not to fuck Portenos or Paraguayenese and focus on tele-commuting until the equipment arrives from god knows where.

JuanCaminante
06-15-07, 13:10
Dear Boss (pick company) or Dear Wife (pick name) I can't return to US for work because as you know the airport doesnt have radar. I will stay in BA and promise not to fuck Portenos or Paraguayenese and focus on tele-commuting until the equipment arrives from god knows where.Bad news bunda - it seems to have arrived.

Maybe the installation specialists will now go on strike!

http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/articulo/argentina_espana_recibe_radar_cedido_1646317.htm

Smuler
06-25-07, 00:13
American Airlines.

Last week of October 2007. Weather should be peaking around then!

Hopefully chica skin will be showing after a cold winter!

JFK-EZE nonstop. On Friday, dropped from 796.00 all in to 647.00.

I booked immediately.

When I came to BA on the same route on 3/13/07, it was 860.00.

213.00 USD saved.

Regards.

Smuler

Ampfofu
06-25-07, 19:13
From where I am United is the only choice. United is the only airline with a direct flight non stop. Yes it is like 2 hundred more, but I have the assurance of knowing my luggage will not be lost and that when my plane lands I will be in Argentina not a pit stop. Many people say I am crazy, but United really is the best and most comfortable.

Jaimito Cartero
06-26-07, 00:53
They tried very hard to cancel my return ticket from SDQ--MIA, after failing to return in 90 days. One year is normal. Only a long argument with a customer service supervisor saved the ticket.Most airlines have different fares for different lengths of trips. Most are 30-60-90 day trips. To buy a ticket for a longer stay usually increases the fare considerably. In fact, it's often cheaper to buy two round trips and throw away the other portion that to buy a ticket for a one year stay.

I recommend using frequent flyer rewards for long stays. You have to use them within a year, either from date of issue or date of departure, it might vary from airline to airline.

Don't just buy a ticket and expect to change the return date with a low fee. It might work, but you might get hit with a change fee, plus a big fare difference.

BundaLover
06-29-07, 13:35
Good July thru March of 2008.

Email info by www.farecompare.

WOW!

Lobovoss
06-29-07, 21:53
Fare compare. Thank you Jaimito!Which Airline please

Rock Harders
06-29-07, 23:24
AA tried to take extra out of the way stops on the non stop MIA-EZE flight and not give me the additional FF miles! Also, the flight attendant tried to charge me $20 for a flat beer while deliberatly speaking to me in Spanish! AVOID! I told her to first take the drink cart to the intersection of seats 10b and 10c, and then to turn right to serve me my drink in seat 13E, but she refused! AVOID! More to come later. AVOID!

Monger514
06-30-07, 17:06
I don't fly AA anymore.

Thomaso276
06-30-07, 19:19
Sid: back in '75 how much were those plywood, hand painted (Rosebud perhaps? Leather strap skis worth?

BundaLover
06-30-07, 21:59
Sid,

Have you checked Ebay for your missing luggage. They are bound to turn up soon.

Dirk,

We shouldnt fly AA because you couldnt get in flight beer the way you like it?

You guys are VERY tough customers.

Master J
07-01-07, 00:17
I began November 2003 Thanksgiving traveling to this promised land. In the 8 trips since I flew American, very flight ORD / MIA / EZE flawless. Great as Gold / Platinum. Only once there was no plane coming in from Uruguay? / but I was hanging in the American Club and expectedly after 3 or 4 hours, as with anyone, they immediately arranged for Intercontinental hotel for 60 people kept the buffet open! Luggage always there, pleasant service, speciall assistance on seating, I have more confidence in them than anyone else. The one time on United when my chicky split 2005 the 6:00 PM never happened. If I did'nt argue she / we would never had gotten an Airport room, so there. Now see what happens to me when I fly American in August!

Rock Harders
07-01-07, 01:35
Mongers-

I guess nobody except Sidney and myself understood that I was doing an obvious ridiculous parody of Sidney's complaints and writing style. The events I wrote about never actually occurred, in truth I have never even been on the MIA-EZE flight, I take the JFK-EZE route. I do not like American Airlines that much, but I just chose them at random to parody Sidney. However, in my experience, flying AA to Buenos Aires is the worst of the four US airlines that fly to EZE. Their 767's have the least entertainment options and are the least comfortable.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
07-01-07, 02:33
Mongers-

I guess nobody except Sidney and myself understood that I was doing an obvious ridiculous parody of Sidney's complaints and writing style. The events I wrote about never actually occurred, in truth I have never even been on the MIA-EZE flight, I take the JFK-EZE route. I do not like American Airlines that much, but I just chose them at random to parody Sidney. However, in my experience, flying AA to Buenos Aires is the worst of the four US airlines that fly to EZE. Their 767's have the least entertainment options and are the least comfortable.

Suerte,

Dirk DigglerUpon re-reading I get it. Please don't make a habit of that. One El Sid is enough.:)

Master J
07-01-07, 02:36
I guess when I traveled three time during that year when I fell in lust with my chicky, the points added up then you go miles, so I have limited experience with orther airlines. I certainly respect the senior opinions, so if you have better options please pass it on. I will finish my free mileage soon, and will explore your options. I trust the boards experience. Which airline do you think are the best?

Exon123
07-06-07, 19:22
Estimados clientes,

Queremos informarles sobre nuestra tarifa promocional a Buenos Aires desde New York de $579 más $67 de impuestos (total $646 aproximadamente) ida why vuelta para viajar en vuelos directos.

Esta tarifa no aplica para viajes que se inicien entre el 11 de julio why el 9 de agosto, why debe estar finalizado para el 30 de noviembre.

Para hacer su reserva, visite nuestra página www.1800ARGENTINA.com

Éste es sólo un ejemplo de nuestras promociones. Para ofertas desde otras ciudades o a otros destinos, visite www.1800ARGENTINA.com

Buen viaje!

Carbone Travel.

PS: Esta promoción está sujeta a disponibilidad why cambios. Puede ser cancelada en cualquier momento. Le sugerimos comprar su pasaje lo antes posible.

Sportsman
07-06-07, 20:06
Just did a dummy intin for a random date in SEP on the website Exon quoted.

On TAM, JFK to EZE via Sao Paulo - $618 all in.

On American direct from JFK to EZE $652 all in.

El Perro
07-06-07, 21:38
Just did a dummy intin for a random date in SEP on the website Exon quoted.

On TAM, JFK to EZE via Sao Paulo - $618 all in.

On American direct from JFK to EZE $652 all in.I would guess this only applies to round trips originating in NYC. Somebody let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks

Master J
07-07-07, 02:35
Looking at Chicago for $728 / $800 with Tax. I never know if I should use the miles or what when the fare goes to this? Any thoughts? Kudos to Exon for getting the word out two hours after Carbone Travel emailed me. I don't get it, isn't fuel up? I think it's because everyone is sick / congestion down there? No offense meant.

Member #3319
07-07-07, 02:55
They currently have a round trip flight out of Miami for $494 including taxes. Amazing. Thanks Exon for this valuable tip.

Exon123
07-07-07, 14:24
They currently have a round trip flight out of Miami for $494 including taxes. Amazing. Thanks Exon for this valuable tip.Since I'd be whats considered a frequent flyer too Buenos Aires I've tried them all. Over the years I've found Carbone Travel to be the best for the lowest fares down there. You even get the miles.

Carbone is whats called a ticket consoladator, they buy hundreds if not thousands of seats at a time at discounted prices. Then resell them over the net at discounted prices.

As an example, check a fare then go to the carriers website or another discounter website and normally you'll find Carbone is 2 to 3 hundred dollars cheaper.

Mongering Tips from the Top by.

Exon

El Perro
07-07-07, 14:38
Since I'd be whats considered a frequent flyer too Buenos Aires I've tried them all. Over the years I've found Carbone Travel to be the best for the lowest fares down there. You even get the miles.

Carbone is whats called a ticket consoladator, they buy hundreds if not thousands of seats at a time at discounted prices. Then resell them over the net at discounted prices.

As an example, check a fare then go to the carriers website or another discounter website and normally you'll find Carbone is 2 to 3 hundred dollars cheaper.

Mongering Tips from the Top by.

ExonRighto Exon. I started using them years ago as they have a presence in Miami. Unfortunately, these wonderful deals don't help us fellows in BA as the origin must be in the states. Good for you guys though.

El Queso
07-07-07, 17:24
I have used Delta for the last year, simply because they had unbeatable business class prices, if you were willing to book 50 days in advance. However, I recently decided to start traveling economy.

I live here in BA (for the last 6 months) so I have't been able to take advantage of places like CheapTickets. Com, which I did when I was living in the States.

I went to check out Carbone and received a price of $903/ ticket from EZE to the IAH (Houston) Decent price, for sure, per ticket, compared to what's out there on carrier sites. However, they charge an additional $110 Govt Taxes and fees, and with the other usual charges, the ticket came to $1,040. That's still cheaper than going to most airlines directly. The travel was on AeroMexico, BA to Mexico City to IAH and back. Sept. 2 through Sept. 8.

I tried Carbonne with an origination from the States and saw that the price was different - the ticket was much cheaper ($742) but the taxes were higher ($213) with a total price of $955 (no other fees and taxes presented) Still a good price.

As a side note, I was surprised after reading Doggboy's post that they didn't give me a problem searching with EZE as my point of departure. Have they changed things perhaps? Having a good cheap outlet to buy tickets for roundtrips to the States from BA would be great!

Also, I did a comparison just for grins, on CheapTickets. Com (where I've also bought tickets in the past) Instead of originating in EZE, I originated in IAH, roundtrip, because CheapTickets does require originating in the States even for searching. The price I got there was $930 per ticket, total (taxes and fees) Not a lot of difference, but a little cheaper. This flight went from IAH to Miami to BA and back.

The cheapest flight I could find on Delta or Continental (Continental is the only airline I know of that has direct flights from Houston to BA) was $1,300, taxes and fees not included, so look at at least another $200, to bring it to $1,500 or more.

Jaimito Cartero
07-08-07, 06:35
Rarely is it a good deal to fly from an airline's main hub, where there is no competition. So you get a good price from NYC or MIA, but not from IAH. It's almost always a better deal to fly on a separate ticket from these other cities, than to just buy the direct city.

As Sydney has noted, using www.farecompare.com is good (sign up for email alerts for EZE) and if Carbone travel can beat the rates, and you get your FF miles, go with them.

Moore
07-09-07, 00:03
Has anyone figured out how to get regular 50,000 mile award flights on Delta or its partners for USA / Argentina? I just checked online and could not find a single one in the next 12 months! Do they even exist? Only 100,000 mile awards (skychoice) were available - that's 100k for a friggin economy seat.

Monger514
07-09-07, 01:15
Has anyone figured out how to get regular 50,000 mile award flights on Delta or its partners for USA / Argentina? I just checked online and could not find a single one in the next 12 months! Do they even exist? Only 100,000 mile awards (skychoice) were available - that's 100k for a friggin economy seat.You won't see them further out (as you might at first expect) Actually, check in the next 1-3 days. That's when they're available. Which means, you'll probably have to mix and match, Skysaver outbound and Skychoice on return trip. Or, take a 1 way Skysaver and play the same game when you're ready to return.

Tough to plan on apt rental reservations this way, little easier if you're staying in a hotel.

Jaimito Cartero
07-09-07, 01:18
Has anyone figured out how to get regular 50,000 mile award flights on Delta or its partners for USA / Argentina? I just checked online and could not find a single one in the next 12 months! Do they even exist? Only 100,000 mile awards (skychoice) were available - that's 100k for a friggin economy seat.I would call up Delta and have them check their partner awards. Often they may not have their own awards available, but might have Continental, Copa or Aeromexico via an DL agent. (I'm not sure what exact partners Delta has. I'm a NW member, and can us 4 different partners, but even airlines in the same alliance can vary a little.

You might end up paying the phone booking fee, but still much better than wasting another 50k miles! If you have any American Airline miles, you can get pretty easy awards in the off season for 40k miles.

For instance, using my NW account, I can find 50k flights from the west coast to EZE in September. Mostly CO flights, but some with a DL leg in them too.

Jaimito Cartero
07-09-07, 01:21
You won't see them further out.If DL only has awards 1-3 days out from a flight, then they're surely a frequent flyer program to avoid. I book about 10 reward flights a year (I only use 5 of them, I cancel the other 5) and book out 11 months sometimes. I thought CO was stingy in handing out awards, but I find it hard to believe that DL is so bad.

Most airlines allow you to book 330-350 days out. Find out what your airline does, and try to snag the seats as they come available. If you're booking in a busy time, book at the first chance you can get, and if your city isn't coming up at a reasonable rate, check other major cities close to you.

BA Luvr
07-09-07, 01:55
I don't know about Delta, but you can only get international award seats on American's partners by calling; the internet site lets you look but it's misleading. I wasted lots of valuable time in trying to score seats to Australia before finding this out. I don't know the partners for Delta but it's worth a shot.

El Queso
07-09-07, 02:32
I cashed in awards for 50,000 in May, booked almost 30 days in advance, on Delta. Not sure why you would have a problem. I know Monger had the same problem when looking for business class tickets trying to get rewards, but I've not had a problme except for a few blacked out days, not months, for SkySaver.

Monger514
07-09-07, 12:31
Just to clarify....

Delta has plenty of award seats going out for a full year. It's just the cheaper awards (Skysaver) that tend to only be available at the last minute. This is especially true for business class, but it's pretty much the case for coach, too, you just might see one a week or so out, from time to time, so not terribly much better. So, being adventurous pays off, I suppose.

Delta does have a nice feature on their website where you can look at a calendar one month at a time and see what awards are available every day of the month.

Hlover
08-02-07, 14:39
Live in the United States.

Does anyone have ideas for calling the 1-800 customer service number. Perpetually on hold.

Moore
08-03-07, 01:41
Live in the United States.

Does anyone have ideas for calling the 1-800 customer service number. Perpetually on hold.IF you can't get thru to AA USA, call AA customer service in one of the other countries that doesn't have a toll free number, like Australia at +61-2-9234-9000 or New Zealand at +64-9-379-3675. It should only cost a few bucks for a 5 or 10 minute call to make/change reservations. I've done this when outside Argentina and local office was closed for the day. They all have access to the same system.

You often can't call toll free numbers like AA Argentina's 0810-222-VOLAR (86527) unless you're in country.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-07, 15:19
I don't know the details, but just saw this posted. Works as a one way down, I believe. Not sure if it works from other cities yet, or FROM BA yet.

This is about 30% of the normal first class fare!

So far, it doesn't seem to work from other cities, or in the reverse direction. Normal fares seem to be in the $5000-$5500 range.

Jackson
08-16-07, 15:23
Hi JC,

"Mexicana Business Class"

Is that the cabin where they don't permit livestock?

Thanks,

Jackson

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-07, 15:29
Hi JC,

"Mexicana Business Class"

Is that the cabin where they don't permit livestock?

Thanks,

JacksonThere's only one way to find out!

JuanCaminante
08-16-07, 15:34
There's only one way to find out!Mexicana business class is pretty decent.

You guys will be surprised!

I've done it a few times Mia- Mex and its superior to American, but thats not saying too much.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-07, 15:43
And you can credit to AA, or LH. Biz class gives a 25% bonus to AA programs, plus whatever elite mileage you may have.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-07, 20:38
Looks like it's working from Chicago too. About $1295 with taxes.

Rock Harders
08-22-07, 07:26
Mongers-

Just researched and booked a "going home for the holidays flight" from EZE to JFK December 22 returning to EZE January 5th for $841 including all taxes, booked on AA. Com. Thats about as cheap as that (the only non stop flight between NYC and Buenos Aires) ever gets, and for the holidays how convenient. I flipped the cities and if you originate in JFK on those dates the price soars to well over $2000 USD, go figure.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Seismo
08-26-07, 19:55
While waiting at the airport, I saw a familiar looking woman at the lounge area. I thought I recognized her as a flight attendant, but I couldn't remember which airline I had seen her on.

I thought I might impress her by guessing which airline she worked for.

I approached her and said: " Fly the Friendly Skies". She ingored me.[not United Air].

Next, I tried " you are now free to move about the country". She frowned.

[not Southwest Air]

Finally, she looked up at me and said: "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?"

Now I know, you work for American Airlines!

Jaimito Cartero
08-27-07, 17:01
While waiting at the airport, I saw a familiar looking woman at the lounge area. I thought I recognized her as a flight attendant, but I couldn't remember which airline I had seen her on.

I thought I might impress her by guessing which airline she worked for.

I approached her and said: " Fly the Friendly Skies". She ingored me.

[not United Air].

Next, I tried "You are now free to move about the country". She frowned.

[not Southwest Air]

Finally, she looked up at me and said: "WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?"

Now I know, you work for American Airlines!Ah, such great service!:)

Redondo
09-21-07, 18:50
Hy guys, hopefully some of you can help me.

I would like to go to DC with United (I have some vouchers I can use) and from there on to Amsterdam.

I like to see the Caps and they are in town the 26,28th of September and 6th of October and stay one night (Georgetown?) there. I need to be in Holland at the 8th, so if I opt for the last night I need to fly back on Sunday the 7th.

My return flight I would like to use either to go NY or Chicago if they go directly from O'Hara then (I red somewhere that service starts around the 10th of December) and probally in December or November (date not really important)

Can somebody tell me how you can book this trip and does anybody know a good agency in BA who can book this trip?

Thanks,

Redondo

Jaimito Cartero
11-16-07, 02:19
While not a super-duper deal, you can fly in Biz class on Mexicana, with a connection (or stopover) in Mexico City. This is about 1/3 the normal price. Doesn't seem to work going in the other direction, but you can certainly try.

AllIWantIsLove
11-16-07, 02:55
While not a super-duper deal, you can fly in Biz class on Mexicana, with a connection (or stopover) in Mexico City. This is about 1/3 the normal price. Doesn't seem to work going in the other direction, but you can certainly try.I just did a search on Orbitz and got first class on all four legs for a total of $1308. BUT... Going to EZE I'd have to leave JFK at 1:30AM and arrive in Mexico City at 6:05AM. Returning to JFK there is a 23 hour layover in Mexico City. And this fare is only good on certain days. Still, first class all the way from JFK to EZE. An interesting option.

Bob

Lgover
12-06-07, 06:44
Ticket prices are sky high now.

Anyways to get cheap tickets in the $1200 range from LAX.

Thx

Redondo
12-06-07, 17:11
Does United still only fly from Dulles to BA?

Can anyone tell me what they paid for a round-trip BA-Asucion?

JuanCaminante
12-07-07, 08:24

Can anyone tell me what they paid for a round-trip BA-Asucion?Earlier this year, I paid just under $200 round trip from EZE - ASU - I purchased this in Europe

Exon123
12-07-07, 16:38
What The Fucks Up With These Prices, "Help"

Exon

======================================

Hi Exon,

I sincerely appreciate your contributions to the forum, but...

Would you please refrain from capitalizing the first letter of EVERY word in your reports!

It's difficult to read, it's time consuming to fix, and it takes you more work to write like that.

On behalf of myself and your fellow Forum Members: Thank You!

Jackson

Easy Go
12-07-07, 19:13

Can anyone tell me what they paid for a round-trip BA-Asucion?Only one flight a day to BA and it's from Dulles.

Exon123
12-07-07, 20:44
United is showing a flight out of Chicago.

Exon

Redondo
12-07-07, 22:54
I heard they would offer flights from the 10th of December from Chicago. That would be great I have some vouchers I can use untill febuary, need to go back to BA and Chicago is a nice stop-over.

I flew today with TAM for about 300 dollar one-way from MVD to ASU and the stewardesses looked stunning. The had one of the nicest tits I have seen in my life, I don't know if they are selected on that criteria or they wear tights shirts that make them look beautifull, but it was really beautifull

Sportsman
12-07-07, 23:02
United is showing a flight out of Chicago.

ExonUnited hadn't have a non-stop flight to EZE out of Chicago since MAR 06. American on the other hand started one from Chicago in Oct. 07.

Daddy Rulz
12-08-07, 03:35
United hadn't have a non-stop flight to EZE out of Chicago since MAR 06. American on the other hand started one from Chicago in Oct. 07.Some years, depending on A / C availability the offer a flight out of ORD during the holiday season, sometimes extending through March or so. If you want to check and see if it's a second flight, check the flight number from IAD to EZE, if it's the same it's a connecting flight, if it's a different number than it's two different flights.

I checked out united. Com, I'm not seeing a direct flight. I can call some friends at the airport if anybody needs me to find out for sure.

Jaimito Cartero
12-17-07, 18:33
Just noticed this on FT. Supposed to work for Biz fares too.

American is offering 20% off on all flights from the US and Canada to select destinations in Central and South America including Barranqilla, Colombia (BQN) Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) Panama City, Panama (PTY) and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)

To take advantage of this offer, book your reservations on AA.com by December 19, 2007, and travel between December 13, 2007 and May 14, 2008. Use the promotion code DFNNWLAT to receive the 20% discount.

Note that the following blackout dates apply: 12/20/07-12/23/07, 12/26/07-12/30/07, 1/1/08-1/6/08.

http://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/viewDiscountCodeRules.do?discountCode=DFNNWLAT

Punter 127
12-17-07, 22:03
Just noticed this on FT. Supposed to work for Biz fares too.

American is offering 20% off on all flights from the US and Canada to select destinations in Central and South America including Barranqilla, Colombia (BQN) Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) Panama City, Panama (PTY) and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)

To take advantage of this offer, book your reservations on AA. Com by December 19, 2007, and travel between December 13, 2007 and May 14, 2008. Use the promotion code DFNNWLAT to receive the 20% discount.

Note that the following blackout dates apply: 12/20/07-12/23/07, 12/26/07-12/30/07, 1/1/08-1/6/08.

http://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/viewDiscountCodeRules.do?discountCode=DFNNWLATThanks JC that looks like a pretty good deal, they‘re also offering 5,000 bonus miles for round-trip travel between Chicago O'Hare and Buenos Aires.

Book your trip between October 11, 2007 and March 15, 2008.
Travel between December 13, 2007 and March 15, 2008.

Register online,
https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?repositoryId=16063729&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

Jaimito Cartero
12-17-07, 22:53
Thanks JC that looks like a pretty good deal, they're also offering 5,000 bonus miles for round-trip travel between Chicago O'Hare and Buenos Aires.

Book your trip between October 11, 2007 and March 15, 2008.

Travel between December 13, 2007 and March 15, 2008.

Register online,

https://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotionsDetail.jhtml?repositoryId=16063729&repositoryName=PromotionContentRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContentSounds good. Remember that on some fares, you can also take the American Airlines challenge, and become a Gold or Platinum member depending on what fare class you book, just from one trip. Flyertalk has all the info.

ComeOnDown
12-19-07, 02:36
Thanks for the tip Jaimito. You just saved me a couple of hundred bucks on the cost of my relative's ticket to BA which I am partially paying for as a christmas present.

Jaimito Cartero
12-19-07, 02:54
Glad to be of service. Half the fun for me is to see how inexpensive you can get prices down to! I do wish more $500 Biz class tickets would come around (and this time FROM the US)

El Perro
12-23-07, 16:16
They are allowing different baggage weight restrictions to different destinations! Normal, I think is 44 kilos for 2 bags. The surprise was a total of 20 kilos+8 kilos for a carry-on. Then after only mentioning this in the ''fine print'', having the ruthless audacity to charge $12 per kilo, over these limits. I suspect they may do this on other routes. Other airlines may be participating in this same scheme to ''nail'' thu unsuspecting customer!I have heard of others expressing dissatisfaction with LAN and their byzantine baggage regulations. That said, I have flown with them many times, and outside the baggage situation, generally the service has been good. Much less a crapshoot than say Aerolineas.

Jaimito Cartero
12-23-07, 17:48
This is where being an elite in an airline's frequent flyer program may help. I know that they often allow you extra luggage allowance. LAN is a part of Oneworld, so if you're an American Airlines elite that might help you. I believe that 10 or 20 kilos additional apply depending on your elite level. I'd call to verify, of course.

I've flown some Asian airlines, intra-Asia, and only been allowed 15K of checked luggage.

Here is the LAN luggage allowance page:

http://plane.lan.com/info_viajes/equipajes/equipajes_chequeado-en-us.html

I'd guess you're being bit by the 1% of highest tourist class fare. Flying EZE-Brazil, perhaps? I'm doing the same route in a couple of months, so thanks for the heads up.

That is an outrageous amount per kilo.

Jaimito Cartero
12-27-07, 04:55
The is a travel "special" right now. Leave ORD or NYC and go to EZE, for less than $700 one way in Biz class. You must "jump off" before the next flight, so it's a tad tricky. This is a routing fare, so make sure you book it in the right order.

Here are some examples:

EWR-YYZ-EZE-MEX. Even though you're not going to Mexico City, you have to have it in there, or it will price at $6000.

ORD-YVR-YYZ-EZE-MEX will also work, and is only $481! Ride in the front, and in comfort. Come back when they drag your cold lifeless body out of Argentina!:)

Book as multisegment on www.expedia.com, no layovers allowed, so book 3/25/06 departing, and then one day later departing EZE to MEX, but ditch the last segment, or not, as you need.

Most of the flights are Air Canada, but the EZE-MEX segments are Mexicana.

Also works for Sao Paulo, and you can add SCL into the mix too.

If anyone needs help booking one of these, I'll be online for another hour. Just PM me.

Also works starting from MSP and IND, with coach connections to Air Canada. This deal is almost "dead", so it may be gone by the time you see this message.

Jaimito Cartero
12-31-07, 06:05
Well, the deal was live for quite some time (12-16 hours, I think) People routed through Anchorage and Hawaii too, for extra miles. For those really interested, you need to check out the Mileage Run forum on www.flyertalk.com regularly.

Punter 127
12-31-07, 21:53
EZE to SDQ at $1427 is an outrageous price. They made passengers wait 2 hours (no shit) in the check-in line. Another 1 hour at Emigration. Several travel delays. The 737 seats were specifically engineered to give passengers lower back pain! The trip with one stop, ended up taking 17 hours. Their baggage people ripped open my bag, stole minor items. No compensation! Use AA, Lan or Taca.The people that operate Copa also operate the BsAs Taxi Company! :rolleyes:

Just joking Sid, I hope you enjoy the RD. :cool:

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Jaimito Cartero
01-01-08, 02:29
Who would be stupid enough to pay CM 14 bills to fly anywhere? Did you not know the layover when you booked the trip?

Depending on what the damage to the bag is, they may not cover it, and it's fairly standard among most airlines. I'd send a letter or use their online contact us feature, and complain about it.

This is one reason why it pays to stock up on miles, and use frequent flyer awards. It only costs 40k miles for a free trip EZE-SDQ. A decent value. Also elites are often upgraded for free, and often have elite lines for check-in and sometimes for security as well. I flew CM JFK-UIO this summer, and got free upgrades on 3 out of the 4 legs. I am reluctant to check bags on any airline, so nothing to lose or damage there either.

It's also wise not to wait until the last minute to book a trip or use a reward. It usually costs you a lot more. I find lots of awards on CO flights for 50k miles when you book a bit in advance. I think it should be 40k if you can book the Copa rewards, but I can't see availability using the online CO checker.

Sydney, is there ANY airline you like?

Jaimito Cartero
01-01-08, 16:31
And where are you crediting your Copa miles? They'll go into many different mileage plans. CO, DL, NW, AF, etc.

One thing you have to understand about airlines, is that they all screw up, sooner or later. Rarely would I write off an entire airline because of one mistake. You learn the pros and cons of an airline and try to avoid the cons, and take advantage of the good stuff.

During last summer, I had some really crappy problems with Northwest while going on a family vacation. I missed a day of vacation, but nothing too critical. By knowing how the system works, I ended up getting 100,000 miles in compensation, along with the missing hotel night paid for. That's enough miles to get two free trips to EZE in coach, or one in FC and a bit of change left over.

I travel 200,000 miles a year and earn 500,000 miles on a couple of different airlines, most years. I spend $5k-10k per year on tickets, and get about the equivalent value back in frequent flyer miles. Once you're an elite member the bonuses add up quickly. If I flew all these miles on different airlines, I'd only have 200k miles per year. By concentrating mostly on one alliance (Skyteam) I get lots of bonus offers, am able to change award tickets for free, and if something does go wrong, I'm taken care of.

For the amount you spent on your CM ticket, I'm flying to New Zealand in biz class tomorrow. For a few hundred more, I'm doing a tour of major Asian cities later this year. I can change the dates for free, and stop in Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo and Hawaii. And not in the back, but in the front of the plane.

If you were a NW or CO elite, you'd even get free upgrades on your CM flight, even if you buy the cheapest ticket.

I meet guys in BA all the time who fly down 6 or 7 times a year, but don't even credit their frequent flier miles to an account. Reminds me of guys who pay $300US for an Exedra chica.

Enough of my travel rant. Happy New Year!

Daddy Rulz
01-01-08, 18:58
One thing you have to understand about airlines, is that they all screw up, sooner or later. Rarely would I write off an entire airline because of one mistake. You learn the pros and cons of an airline and try to avoid the cons, and take advantage of the good stuff. When I worked for United when people would tell us they would never fly us again because of a mistake we had made I would tell them, "that's fine, all the people that American just screwed today will, go switch places with one of them."

What Jaimito said is so true, as complex as modern air travel is, it amazes me when any airline gets it right, not that they make mistakes. Find ones that excel at what's important to you. I think UAL's coach seats are better on international flights, but if you're going to BsAs AA has so many more options, while CO probably does have the nicest staff everywhere else except in Houston, Aierolinas Argentina, hottest flight crews blah blah.

Just remember they're not planes anymore they are busses that fly. Good service, good food, the idea that anybody, anywhere, in any airline, cares about you as a traveler is long a thing of the past.

Jaimito Cartero
01-01-08, 21:05
You are without peer! I wish that you were my travel agent. There are certain ''niche'' markets, where you could profit handsomely and provide a most appreciated assistance to some needy people and there families. We will talk on PM's.I'm middling at best among the real airline deals people. However, there are some things that people just don't seem to understand when traveling.

First: To get a good deal on flights, you usually have to book more than 3 weeks in advance for international. In fact, many times 8-3 months before your trip is the best time. If you book one week in advance, you're likely to get screwed for intl travel.

Here's a site I've been using extensively of late:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego

It's easy to enter in how long you want to stay somewhere, and find the best price in a month for your stay. Click on the 30 day search for best results. In checking EZE-SDQ for a two month stay, for the next month, you'll find $1274-$2414 for pricing. Really horrid pricing. Often it's better to find the cheapest EZE-USA city, and then buy a SDQ ticket separately.

www.farecompare.com has a lot of options to pick from. They'll tell you the lowest fare that they sell (but it's often not available), usually fuel surcharges aren't included, so take the pricing with a grain of salt.

LAN has a EZE-MIA ticket for $468 plus tax RT. AA has MIA-SDQ fares of $382 all in. Now, you may have to search a bit to find dates that have the lowest fare classes available, but right there you may save up to $400 on your ticket.

And you can credit LAN miles to AA, and use their excellent awards in the future. I just checked AA awards, and found plenty of 40k awards EZE-SDQ for March, April and beyond. For an expensive destination like SDQ, miles would really be a good choice for this trip.

Second: Don't fly on or near major holidays unless you can get a good price. Many airlines raise their prices in Mid December, since they know people have to travel to visit relatives. Book your trip before or after the busy season and save big bucks.

Third: Make sure you participate in a frequent flyer program too. Even if you only fly once a year, you'll get a free ticket every few years.

I value frequent flyer miles at about 2 cents each. For instance, if I could use 40k or 50k for Sidney's ticket, I'd do it, as that put the value at about $800-$1000. If the tickets were $400, it would be a waste of miles.

If you want a kick ass vacation, save up some miles and fuck on 6 continents in one year. You can fly around the world, and hit every continent except Antarctica for 140k miles in Coach, or 220k in Biz class. Tack on about $300 in taxes, and you've got a $10,000 to $30,000 trip for just a moderate amount of miles.

I did this in 2006, and had a blast. If flew Biz or FC on Continental, Air France, Czech, Korean and Alitalia.

As for helping with itineraries, I don't mind too much as long as you're not in a hurry. If I find you a deal, you'll owe me a dinner, or something in the future, probably.:)

I can't dig up a $500 RT EZE-NYC business class ticket every day, but it's surprising how often deals come around, if you keep your eyes open.

BadMan
01-01-08, 22:42
You really should charge for your services JC. Your recent posts have really opened my eyes.

I have all kinds of miles with Air France, LAN, KLM, Swiss, and a few other carriers and have never done anything with them. I don't even know how many I have.

After reading your posts, I am determined to use them.

Thanks again,

BB

Jaimito Cartero
01-02-08, 03:04
I have all kinds of miles with Air France, LAN, KLM, Swiss, and a few other carriers and have never done anything with them. I don't even know how many I have.

After reading your posts, I am determined to use them.Many mileage plans are now nuking your miles after 18 months, so make sure your account is active.

In particular, many of your airlines are in the same alliance, so you're just spreading your seed a bit too far! AF, KLM, CO, NW, DL, AM, KE, SU, CZ and a few others just added are all part of Skyteam. The other two main alliances are Star Alliance and Oneworld.

I generally recommend that you join the frequent flyer program of the airline you'll be flying the most. For North American fliers, Northwest or Continental have some of best programs. Delta has recently downgraded many of their awards, plus they don't give as many bonus miles for their top level elites, so I generally don't recommend their FF program.

Many airlines have associate members that give full mileage and EQM's. Alaska Airlines participates in many different programs, and Copa is the stepchild of Continental, so will now credit to most plans. CO fliers get good upgrades on Copa, with NW fliers getting upgrades 1 or 2 days in advance, if seats available.

Many European plans really suck, as they tax you to hell on your awards. Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France and others may charge you as much as $200-$300 on an economy award ticket!

Most US based airlines have a three tier system. Usually 25k miles in one year (almost always Jan 1-Dec 31st) will get you to the lowest level. At this level you get a 50% bonus on your flown miles (or 25% in some less generous programs). At 50K you get Gold and 100% bonus miles (or 50% bonus), and at 75K on some (And 100k on others) you get 125% bonus miles. Now some airlines play by different rules, so the bonus amount will differ a bit, so it's important to really research a bit, before you decide.

Some airlines don't give you the full amount of EQM (Elite Qualifying Miles), if you buy a cheap ticket. AA has a point based system, so a cheap flight might garner you .5 points per mile, or a First Class ticket may get you 1.5 points. In most cases, Biz Class or FC give you nice extra bonus points, and miles.

Do I need to fly on the airline that I'm getting frequent flyer miles on? Not really. There are some European plans that give quite liberal flight miles on, even if you don't fly them. BMI is one example. If you fly a lot with them (55k+ per year), all miles after 55K, count at double the normal rate. They award 300% of miles for FC tickets, and 200% for Biz on many Star Alliance members. So you could actually get more than 6x the miles you flew in award miles!

Which is the best plan for North American fliers? Well, I'm partial to Northwest, as I find a lot of their promotions really beneficial. Changing awards for free, and great customer service is really nice. Plus on all my flights in North America/Central America/Caribbean that they fly to, I get upgraded to First Class for free about 90% of the time. I also get free upgrades on Continental and Copa, though not as often. And I hear that I might even be getting free upgrades on Delta in the near future.

Last year, NW also announced a bonus program for upper level elites. They have graduated rewards at 60k, 90k, 120k and 160k. At the lower levels they give you a $50 travel cert, or some bonus miles, but at the higher levels, they give you free upgrade certificates that you can use on any NW or KLM flight for Biz class. So you can fly to Africa on a cheap ticket, and fly in the front, or go to Bangkok, Manila or Prague and do the same.

Other plans that have a lot of good buzz about them: American Airlines has a nice challenge program where you can become their lower tier or middle tier with just one or two flights (AA Challenge). Plus they aren't very stingy with awards, and have low off season rewards to South America for only 40k miles!

I know a lot of United Airlines people who love their program. You get some nice upgrade certificates (System Wide Upgrades aka SWU's) at their higher level elites. Their upper level elite requirement is 100k miles. Supposedly lots of awards available as well.

Programs to stay away from. Lots of turmoil at US Air of late. Often hard to get an award, and they only award 25% and 50% bonus at the low and mid level tiers. Delta has reduced a lot of awards of late, and their SWU's are pretty difficult to use.

As I mentioned, many plans have started to delete your miles if there is no activity within 18 months. 3 years or more used to the the average. NW is probably the best, with a 3 year limit, but they're not actively enforcing it.

If you fly for business, many airlines have an additional Business Perks that you can enroll yourself, and employees too. Points accrue and are awarded the the business account, which you control, hopefully. Although I don't book a ton of stuff, I still got enough points in a couple of years for a free Asian trip in coach. Free to join, most of them require a Federal Tax ID to open an account.

El Greco
01-02-08, 12:30
They are allowing different baggage weight restrictions to different destinations! Normal, I think is 44 kilos for 2 bags. The surprise was a total of 20 kilos+8 kilos for a carry-on. Then after only mentioning this in the ''fine print'', having the ruthless audacity to charge $12 per kilo, over these limits. I suspect they may do this on other routes. Other airlines may be participating in this same scheme to ''nail'' thu unsuspecting customer!I don't know if this is of any help to you all livimg in Argentina but every time I fly from Europe to Latin America I use Brasil as entry and especially exit point.

That is because Brasil and some other Latin America countries, unfortunately not Argentina, are using the so called "PC" system. This is an allowance of two checked bags of 32 kilos each. Lately they are trying to reduce it to 23 kilos each but I don't think it's in effect yet. That also applies to / from USA to those countries.

Happy new year to you all.

El Greco

T Tuna
01-08-08, 23:35
Jackson,

Don't forget Continental http://www.continental.com.

T Tuna

Master J
01-12-08, 20:34
I just turned on the TV looking for the Packer game and they showed a lived shot of EZE with thousands of people stranded, apparently from Aero Argentina striking. I called AA and they said so far no flight have been cancelled, but perhaps I know better how other would support a strike. Any local pro's out there know what is going on? I am leaving on Monday and any information or a site would be much appreciated. They said something about 72 horas?

Thank you in advance. Help!

Thomaso276
01-13-08, 01:21
Check stories in Clarin or La Nacion, both have online articles.

Sky Ryder
01-14-08, 02:36
I wouldn't be too worried about the strike effecting (or is it affecting) other airlines. One reason is that the Aerolinas Argentina is not a part of the IATA, which allows their passengers to use the tickets with other carriers. Also it seems that this is a dispute with the customer service agents and pilots as opposed to the air traffic controllers problem that was going on earlier in the year.

Redondo
01-19-08, 20:03
I would like to fly from the US (anywhere) to Bogota and about a week later to Buenos Aires. I need to fly with United (I have some vouchers)

Any ideas?

P. S. Date should be around 15th of February

Jaimito Cartero
01-19-08, 22:11
I would like to fly from the US (anywhere) to Bogota and about a week later to Buenos Aires. I need to fly with United (I have some vouchers)

Any ideas?

P. S. Date should be around 15th of FebruaryI'd say that you're in a bit of a spot. Looking at paid tickets, it would be quite expensive. ($2400) I'd probably recommend looking at each flight separately first, and then see what you can piece together.

So look NYC-BOG (or whatever city you want to fly out of) and then BOG-EZE, and then EZE-NYC.

United doesn't fly to BOG that I'm aware of, and when I entered NYC-BOG into the United site, they came up with nothing. Is your voucher only good on UA flights, or on codeshares as well?

From the quick search I did, it seems that AA, CO, Avianca, Mexicana and Lacsa / Taca fly to Bogota, at least from New York. DL may fly there from ATL, and I'm sure there are others.

From BOG-EZE, you have Copa, Avianca, Taca, Lan, Aerolineas, DL and AA. Some of these connect in Panama, some like AA and DL even go back to the US.

You might be able to do something, easier with reward miles, but it looks like using UA vouchers for all of this trip might be hard. (It might be easier to use a UA voucher USA-EZE, and then miles for EZE-BOG, if you went to EZE first)

Redondo
01-19-08, 23:11
I'd say that you're in a bit of a spot. Looking at paid tickets, it would be quite expensive. ($2400) I'd probably recommend looking at each flight separately first, and then see what you can piece together.

So look NYC-BOG (or whatever city you want to fly out of) and then BOG-EZE, and then EZE-NYC.

United doesn't fly to BOG that I'm aware of, and when I entered NYC-BOG into the United site, they came up with nothing. Is your voucher only good on UA flights, or on codeshares as well?

From the quick search I did, it seems that AA, CO, Avianca, Mexicana and Lacsa / Taca fly to Bogota, at least from New York. DL may fly there from ATL, and I'm sure there are others.

From BOG-EZE, you have Copa, Avianca, Taca, Lan, Aerolineas, DL and AA. Some of these connect in Panama, some like AA and DL even go back to the US.

You might be able to do something, easier with reward miles, but it looks like using UA vouchers for all of this trip might be hard. (It might be easier to use a UA voucher USA-EZE, and then miles for EZE-BOG, if you went to EZE first)Thanks.

I was looking at the site as well and BOG didn't come up.

I could do a DC - Eze (Which they flew from O'Hara) and then a EZE - BOG but I would prefer if I could do it via Bogota.

As far as I know it's not with code share and they are valid for about a month more so I should use them soon

ComeOnDown
01-20-08, 00:01
I'm a newbie when it comes to mileage programs because I may not even have half (who am I kidding more like 1/4) of the accumulated mileage of Jaimito. I consider his inputs on mileage programs very useful and relevant. In fact I have printouts of some of his posts which serves as references for me whenever I get confused with all these mileage program lingo.

Keep them coming.

Jaimito Cartero
01-20-08, 00:17
Thanks.

I was looking at the site as well and BOG didn't come up.

I could do a DC - Eze (Which they flew from O'Hara) and then a EZE - BOG but I would prefer if I could do it via Bogota.

As far as I know it's not with code share and they are valid for about a month more so I should use them soonIf the vouchers are transferable, it might be wiser to just trade them to someone. Also the dollar amount of the vouchers is important, too. So you have $2,000 worth of vouchers, or only $500?

Almost all the fares I did a quick check on out of the DC area (IAD or DCA) on UA are very, very expensive. $1800-$2000 for a 2-4 week stay. Delta has some that are almost half the price.

Most of the inter South American tickets are really expensive, at least compared to what the same distance flight would cost in the US. BOG-EZE from mid February goes for $768 on Taca for a round trip, or about $80 less for a one way trip.

American Airlines has a 25k mileage award for South America, but only for flights totally within SA. You might be able to get a LAN award, not sure if it's the same mileage or not. Continental charges 40k miles (probably for Copa flights) Northwest actually only charges 20k miles, and it's probably on Copa as well.

Jaimito Cartero
01-20-08, 00:26
I consider his inputs on mileage programs very useful and relevant. In fact I have printouts of some of his posts which serves as references for me whenever I get confused with all these mileage program lingo.Well, when I'm sitting around with nothing to do, I don't mind looking for some travel shortcuts, and explaining them a bit. 8 years ago, I hardly knew a thing, but I feel I'm proficient now.

The thing is, there are so many ways to backdoor special deals, that you'll only know about if you read www.flyertalk.com a lot, and investigate things. It also helps to have friends who figure out some of these deals.;)

There was recently a small thread on Flyertalk about getting Delta miles for 1800flowers. Com purchases. They gave you a 2500 mile bonus on each purchase, if you entered a special code. 2500 miles is worth about $50 alone, so if you could buy some cheap items, and do it again, and again, you could have enough miles for a free biz class flight (and a lot of little 1800flowers trinkets)

After you figured the bonuses, plus cash back on your credit card you used to purchase these items, your cash outlay was about $700 for a Biz class ticket from the US to Argentina. Plus you now have 35 of these little gift bags to give out to the chicas for free! Or donate them to charity, and get a tax write off for $700! You don't get any miles for flying, but it's a great deal, if you know where to find it, and where to jump in on it.

Redondo
01-20-08, 20:58
If the vouchers are transferable, it might be wiser to just trade them to someone. Also the dollar amount of the vouchers is important, too. So you have $2,000 worth of vouchers, or only $500?

Almost all the fares I did a quick check on out of the DC area (IAD or DCA) on UA are very, very expensive. $1800-$2000 for a 2-4 week stay. Delta has some that are almost half the price.

Most of the inter South American tickets are really expensive, at least compared to what the same distance flight would cost in the US. BOG-EZE from mid February goes for $768 on Taca for a round trip, or about $80 less for a one way trip.

American Airlines has a 25k mileage award for South America, but only for flights totally within SA. You might be able to get a LAN award, not sure if it's the same mileage or not. Continental charges 40k miles (probably for Copa flights) Northwest actually only charges 20k miles, and it's probably on Copa as well.Thanks.

Vouchers have a value of 400 dollar, not that much, but it's about a third of my trip to BA. I am not going to let that pass.

My GF goes to Bogota and I would like to join her, but not really for about 700 dollar and as far I see it a EZE - BOG ticket is the only option.

Which airlines fly from EZE to BOG?

Jaimito Cartero
01-21-08, 02:10
Vouchers have a value of 400 dollar, not that much, but it's about a third of my trip to BA. I am not going to let that pass.

Which airlines fly from EZE to BOG?Did you read my earlier post? I noted which airlines flew BOG-EZE. Same airlines both directions. Aerolineas Argentina has a direct flight. A bit more than $700 RT.

If you spend $2000 on a UA ticket, minus a $400 voucher, your cost is $1600. If another airline flies it for $1000, seems rather retarded to pay $600 more just to use a voucher. If it's really saving you money, use it. Otherwise, use it for another trip, further out, or trade it.

Punter 127
01-21-08, 02:12
8 years ago, I hardly knew a thing, but I feel I'm proficient now. Talk about understatements, Dude when it comes to finding deals you ’re the Man!:D.

Thanks again for the deals you ’ve sent my way.

Punter 127

Jaimito Cartero
01-21-08, 02:30
Talk about understatements, Dude when it comes to finding deals you 're the Man!Honestly, there are still so many things that I don't know, it's mind blowing. I've met guys who make 40k a year, but travel as good as royalty, stay free at 5 star hotels, and still save money every year. It's like you find out your favorite boliche has a fuck 4, get 10 for free program, and you never even knew about it.

I wouldn't say that it's easy, but if you put some effort into it, you can find some incredible stuff out there.

Jaimito Cartero
01-22-08, 21:31
Just got an email for United Airlines for a special weekend rate on United from Washington DC. Leave Jan. 28-31, return Feb. 4-Feb. 7. Add taxes, but still a good deal, for a quick trip down.

Tequila Tim
01-23-08, 00:43
I think that is $475 each way (United lists thier efares like this) Too bad. I would've been tempted to come down for a short spell!

Jaimito Cartero
01-23-08, 01:20
You're absolutely right! That's what I get for trying to put it up quick, without double checking. I don't think I'd consider $475 each way a bargain. Sorry folks.

Daddy Rulz
01-23-08, 02:35
Just got an email for United Airlines for a special weekend rate on United from Washington DC. Leave Jan. 28-31, return Feb. 4-Feb. 7. Add taxes, but still a good deal, for a quick trip down.I'm going down next week and will be using a UAL buddy pass. Round trip from AUS = 615 bucks, US dollars not pesos.

Jaimito Cartero
01-23-08, 02:45
I'm going down next week and will be using a UAL buddy pass. Round trip from AUS = 615 bucks, US dollars not pesos.Not very cheap, eh?

I think if I find another batch of cheap business class fares to EZE, I'll have free pussy for all my next trip! $1000 for coach to EZE is pretty bad.

Daddy Rulz
01-23-08, 12:25
Not very cheap, eh?

I think if I find another batch of cheap business class fares to EZE, I'll have free pussy for all my next trip! $1000 for coach to EZE is pretty bad.615 bucks and it's standby. Two advantages to a buddy pass, if there is an open business seat then I can sit there, second is flexibility. If I decide to stay extra day no problem.

When I first started going to BsAs and would take friends on my passes when I worked for UAL it was around 350 round trip, now that was a bargain. With 600-800 RT fairly common with shopping I think in the future I will travel coach and confirmed.

With your ability to find fares and my insider knowledge of airlines. Hmm something to think about.

Jaimito Cartero
01-23-08, 16:20
615 bucks and it's standby. Two advantages to a buddy pass, if there is an open business seat then I can sit there, second is flexibility. If I decide to stay extra day no problem.

When I first started going to BsAs and would take friends on my passes when I worked for UAL it was around 350 round trip, now that was a bargain. With 600-800 RT fairly common with shopping I think in the future I will travel coach and confirmed.

With your ability to find fares and my insider knowledge of airlines. Hmm something to think about.You also don't get any frequent flyer miles? To me, that would be one of the most serious problems. I get $300-$450 in value (depending on carrier) just in frequent flyer miles each trip, not counting any other promotions, or value to requalify elite.

That's one reason why I sometimes pay a bit more for a ticket that is my alliance, as opposed to one that's not.

The problem with the deals I find, is that they are often very short lived, be ready to book a ticket in minutes, or hours if you're lucky. Otherwise, they're gone.

I just canceled 3 of my EZE-NYC Biz tickets last week ($450+ tax) since I really didn't need the miles, and wasn't excited about doing 3 of them in a few weeks. If I could change the names / dates on the tickets, I could have made a killing!:)

Jaimito Cartero
01-23-08, 19:38
I was asked to participate for an article for Inside Flyer magazine. I think you may need to have a subscription to view the article, but the article is titled: Extreme Awards 101, page 22. I think this is also available on newstands.

It just recounts my use of 220k NW miles, and $300 in taxes to travel around the world, 6 continents, 11 months, and over 50k flight miles in Biz or FC.

www.insideflyer.com

Salving123
01-23-08, 22:00
. $1000 for coach to EZE is pretty bad.Looking at IAH-EZE, I think $1100 seems like a good price now, for coach.

What I noticed looking at various fares from Christmas on - airlines seem to change prices even in a single day. Continental shows $1100 fare in the morning, but look at it in the evening, or on a weekend, it is only available at $1300+, and mostly $1600 fares. Around Christmas AA had that 20% discount (the one you provided info on) but that still got it down to $950 only. UAL had it for $1100. Then in Jan. UAL has gone up and stayed up, while AA intermittently is available at these prices, and Continental seems more easily available - though it too goes on / off at this price. So, from what I see, at least for those who won't risk buying lots of flowers to get miles (great tip, though! $1000-$1100 is what seems in the possible range, but if you get unlucky, may have to shell $1500 or so.

AA is around $100 cheaper even now, but I agree that look at mileage programs also - if you're not on AA, then it is still a deal to pay $100 more to accumulate mileage on another airline and buy ticket.

Keep your tips coming, they are a great help!

Jaimito Cartero
01-24-08, 00:31
Pricing of tickets is rather a dark art. As Salv pointed out, you can run a price search at 1pm, and then do the same thing an hour later, and you'll get big differences in prices.

If the time you're heading somewhere is a busy time, you may pay 2-3 times more money. Take Sydney for example. He paid huge bucks to go EZE to the Dominican Republic, because he wanted to go at a busy time. I'm not sure how far out he bought tickets, but buying too far in advance, or too close to departure can hurt you big time.

The sweet spot for normal tickets (Not to be confused with Jumbo / mistake or Airline wars) is 2-6 months before your flight. If you see a good deal, jump on it, even if it's not in this time frame.

You might also want to keep track of how prices are for a certain route. If you want IAH-EZE, and there is a sale every March, then hang out until March to get your ticket.

Jumbo / Mistake fares. These are when someone leaves a zero off a fare, or prices the ticket in Pesos instead of Dollars, so it's $99 to fly instead of $990. These do not usually last very long, so whip your credit card out, and buy some. My favorite is business class flights. I found a EZE-NYC ticket last May, and although I'm not in NYC, I saw the price seemed a bit low, so I checked it out. Only after checking out the fare class, did I realize that it was a business class ticket for only $450 round trip plus tax. Much better than the $6500 price they normally charge.

This fare only lasted a few hours after I posted it, possibly because an asshole called up the airline to ask them questions about the fare. If you think you've got one of these fares, don't call the airlines!

If you're an opportunity flyer, like I am, you just want the cheapest flight, and the best seat possible. While 30% of my flights will be in coach this year, I like the biz class or first class seat for my big ass. I just don't want to pay $5000 for it.

If you can go whenever you want, you'll save a lot of money. To find the cheapest fares currently being offered, use Zuji. Com at the link below:

http://www.zuji.com/web/content/splash_index.html

Click on the "flexible dates", and enter your cities. This is a sister site to Travelocity, but the Travelocity site no longer lets you search for international tickets with flexible dates. Sometimes you may get pricing in Singapore dollars, and many flights might be listed, but don't work when you try to select dates. This is pretty normal. You can also use:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/

This is ITA, which is a very nice way to search for tickets, and you won't get as many phantom fares. You can only search for 30 days using the normal interface, though.

So, if you're a cheap sucker, or just want to spend your money on food and chicas, what do you do?

Find airlines that give their best flyers free upgrades to business class. Many airlines have upgrade certificates (Usually referred to as SWU, System Wide Upgrades) that you can use on a flight. Things have tightened up lately, and often you can only use them if you buy a higher coach fare, and then use miles, or one of the SWU's. AA and I think CO now also have Co-pays of hundreds of dollars you pay in addition.

If you're willing to fly on a plane that makes more stops, I'd recommend Copa, as they give free upgrades to Continental Airline elite (they share the same elite program) and even upgrade Northwest Airline elites a day or two before the flight. You do end up stopping in Panama City, but it's not a bad break.

How else to fly in the front? I briefly mentioned using miles to upgrade. This can work great with some airlines, and not at all, with others. Many airlines now require you to be one of their elite members (usually flying 25k a year) to even use them.

One secret that often saves me big bucks is to check how much fares are when they originate in the city I'm flying to. That's how I found my Delta Biz class Jumbo out of EZE. The fare was only good for flights departing out of EZE. Some people would ignore it, since how would it work if they're not in EZE?

It's simple, you either buy a one way ticket, or you nest a round trip ticket out of the US, either purchased, or using frequent flyer miles.

So, you spend $1000 for a Feb. 1st IAH-EZE ticket. You then have 2 round trips EZE-IAH that you found for $400. You spread them out over the year, so that you get 3 trips for only $1800, instead of $3000. This is what the flights would look like:

CO IAH-EZE ($1000) Feb. 1st.

DL EZE-ATL-IAH ($400) Feb. 18

DL IAH-ATL-EZE ($0 return portion) May 1

DL EZE-ATL-IAH ($400) May 20

DL IAH-ATL-EZE ($0 return) September 1

CO EZE-IAH ($0 return) September 24

So you get three nice trips, and don't spend too much money. Now, all the pricing given here is made up. $400 fares don't happen that often, and you may not see one for years. But if you never check the pricing going the other way, you'll certainly never find the deals.

Just by flying these routes, you have enough miles to elite, about 30,000 miles. If you were a Platinum already, you'd get about 70,000 miles, or even 80,000 miles if you didn't fly DL (DL only awards 100% max miles for standard tickets, instead of 125% like CO and NW do) You're very close to a free business class ticket from just these three flights. Say you take one more flight, and spend $2500 total. You now can get a free biz class ticket, having invested only half the amount a normal ticket would cost!

I've found a few sub $400 + tax flights to EZE over the last few years. Many were when a new airlines started a route, such as Delta, or when other airlines get into wars with new entrants, or are just trying to hurt a competitor. These wars are some of the most beautiful things you've ever seen. Better than finding a $100 bill on the ground in front of Exedra.

You can see a fare get chopped in half in 10 minutes, and then be back to where it was an hour later. Don't dawdle on these fares, they evaporate quick.

One of the best ways to find out about these fluctuations is to set up a www.farecompare.com fare alert. You can have it email you every time the fare drops a certain amount. I recommending setting alerts to and from EZE, so you can see all the deals. Also, sometimes Delta will have a screaming deal out of Houston, and Continental will attack back, and have kick ass prices from Atlanta.

For that reason, I would always put all hub cities into your search, as it may be worth paying $100-$200 to fly somewhere to get $400 fares to EZE.

CO hubs: IAH, EWR
DL hubs: ATL, SLC, CVG
UA hubs: DEN, ORD
AA hubs: DFW, MIA

There are other hubs for these, but those are the major ones, I think. A word of caution about Farecompare. It's a great site, but scans all the pricing for possible sales. It does not figure out a lot of the fuel surcharges that airlines are now sneaking in. AA is probably the worst US airline for this, as they can easily add $200 to the fare, instead of $60-$80 for most airlines. So, if you see an AA fare for $400, don't wet your pants yet.

Farecompare also sends you alert as soon as the fare is released, but that doesn't mean it's in the computer of the airlines/travel agencies yet. Sometimes it might take hours before it's loaded into everything. Here's an alert that I just got from Farecompare:

Buenos Aires, AR Chicago from $679 down $40

http://www.farecompare.com/search/year-alerts.html?departure=BUE&destination=CHI

Looking quickly, I find that it's a Delta flight. Going the opposite way, the cheapest fare is a US/UA codeshare for $150 more. The Delta flight might not even be available, so you always have to do some works to make sure the the deal is real. I clicked on a couple of days in April, but come back with nothing less than $1000 using Farecompare. Time to switch to ITA and see if it has anything better. $925 is the lowest I find.

Always check the airline's website first, and then Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc too. When a fare is pulled on the airlines own site, it may still be in the system for awhile at the other sites.

Check the major gateway cities: LAX, SFO, IAH, ORD, DFW, MIA, IAD, DCA, EWR, JFK, ATL, DEN, SLC, DTW, MSP. Most of the good fares are going to be from one of these hubs.

That's all for tonight, folks!

Daddy Rulz
01-24-08, 01:53
This hobby of yours is marketable.

Jaimito Cartero
01-24-08, 02:08
This hobby of yours is marketable.Hey, send me some money, a fine meal (or 10 cheap ones) or some pussy, and you too can be on the Jaimito travel newsletter.:)

But semi-seriously, if you have certain cities you're looking for, let me know, and if I come across something, I'll email or PM you. I'm not saying it's free, maybe you'll have to tie Exon down and have a lactating Chica dump a pint of milk all over his face, or a fine session on Maipu or something.:)

As long as you're flexible. Some things can't easily be done. Like, "I want to go to EZE next week, and want it for $500". In most cases, it's just not going to happen. If instead, you say, "I'd like to go to EZE for $1000 or less, in business class in the next 9 months, I have 50,000 miles to upgrade", then that's in the realm of possibility.

Jaimito Cartero
01-25-08, 14:12
United Airlines has been sending out 10% off email codes recently. So, if you'd like to save some money on your EZE ticket, make sure you sign up for an account, and their email list.

I've got one 10% off code, if someone needs one.

Jaimito Cartero
01-28-08, 21:32
I just got some price alerts for United flights to EZE from LAX and PHX. Looks like $760 or so all in, but I haven't tried to ticket anything. If you'll be flying in the near future, it might be good to check the fares again before purchasing.

Pete Puma
01-28-08, 22:58
You do great work. I just checked United and they have flights from 724.80 from LAX-EZE. I wish I had a dime for everytime you made a good post. I'D BE RICH!

Artisttyp
02-29-08, 02:26
Intresting read on the current state of miles programs.

http://www.aviation.com/travel/080122-using-frequent-flyer-miles.html

Jaimito Cartero
03-01-08, 19:40
It can be challenging to get a good award. To do it right requires patience, and knowing how to make the fuckers pay up with a good award.:)

One important thing is to make sure your miles don't expire. Recently, many have gone to a 18 month expiration time frame. However, don't despair, because all you need is *some* activity to keep your account active. Often you can donate 50 miles the Red Cross, and you're good for another year and a half.

US Air and Delta seem to be some of the worst ones for expiring miles. Northwest seems to be the best, as they have a 3 year rule on the books, but don't enforce it, at this time.

I had 3/4 of a million miles in my NW account recently, and once they announced the possible DL merger, I started spending. I went through over 400,000 miles in two weeks. Now, I will probably refund back most of these, once I see if the merger affects me negatively (if the merger goes through, even) I can also refund them for free, so it makes it so easy.

CO and UA will probably not merge, unless NW merges. NW has a Golden Share of CO that allows them to have some large control of if / when they merge. Once NW merges, then it's open season.

Exon123
03-03-08, 22:57
Now heres a smoking deal.

http://deals.virtualtourist.com/viewDeal-20228-0-1---viewDeal.html

Exon

Jaimito Cartero
03-04-08, 03:46
Now heres a smoking deal.

http://deals.virtualtourist.com/viewDeal-20228-0-1---viewDeal.htmlNot such a good deal if you look at the details. Single supplement, crappy hotels, etc. In most cases you're better off just buying a ticket.

$1118 is the cheapest single price, and I stayed in the hotel they're "giving" you last week, and I wouldn't even put a Cocksucker in there.

Jaimito Cartero
03-07-08, 19:05
What a deal!Have you checked the taxes? I checked on www.mexicana.com and found a nice $495 RT price, but over $300 in taxes in fees. If you have some dates that you've booked the price you quoted at let me know.

1 adult (s) x (495.00 + 317.80) = 812.80 USD.

Total for all passengers 812.80 USD

HairBalderman
03-07-08, 19:30
If you have some dates that you've booked the price you quoted at let me know. [/I]Thanks, JC, for doublechecking that fare. I also checked and came up with nothing less than U$ 842 tax included on Mexicana from Miami. Out of fear of seeming unkind I was holding back on posting a response to Sidney's typical post (ie. No dates, all bragadoccio, no substance)

Jaimito Cartero
03-07-08, 20:00
Thanks, JC, for doublechecking that fare. I also checked and came up with nothing less than U$ 842 tax included on Mexicana from Miami. Out of fear of seeming unkind I was holding back on posting a response to Sidney's typical post (ie. No dates, all bragadoccio, no substance)Well, I don't blame him for sharing it. I'd rather investigate a fare and find out it's got tons of fuel surcharges, than to miss out on a deal. The airlines are pulling tons of crap to make their fares seem low, and then trying to stick it to you with booking fees, fuel surcharges and the like.

For those wanting to fly in Biz class Mexicana did have some nice Biz class fares to EZE for under $1400 RT. The last I heard, it was still working from NYC, you can check other major cities as well.

Jaimito Cartero
03-07-08, 22:22
What source are you getting these from? I've found that many travel search engines don't include the fuel surcharges correctly in the pricing. What I suggest, is that you click on specific dates, and get right up to the purchase screen, and then do a cut an paste.

For instance, the rules from Expertflyer on the this MX fare:

SURCHARGES.

A FUEL SURCHARGE OF USD 125.00 PER DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE.

So right there, you're looking at $250, which is a lot of empanadas.:) When you add the $250 onto your supposed total, it comes up the amount I listed before. You need to select the dates and then find out what the real price is. Fare Compare only tells you what the *possible* lowest fare is. Many are phantom and can't be booked, or have nasty fuel surcharges.

I recommend using ITA Software for real world pricing.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego

Trying to be of service. I have tried to avoid, but Hairy's insults need to stop. Guess he wants a verbal fight? --------------------------------------------From To Roundtrip One-Way Non Stops.

Miami to Buenos Aires (cheapest roundtrip) Click on a price below to select your departure month. Currency $, USD AirlineLowest Fares - All AirlinesMar$495 total $573

Apr.$495 total $573

May$495 total $573

June$495 total $573

July$495 total $573

Aug.$495 total $573

Sep$495 total $573

Oct.$495 total $573

Nov.$495 total $573

Dec.$495 total $573

Jan.$495 total $573

Side by Side Comparison (select an Airline & Cabin. Press "Add Row") Airline: Aeromexico Air Canada American Argentinas Avianca Boliviano Continental Copa Delta Lacsa Lan Lan Peru LanArgentina Mexicana TAM Taca US Airways United Cheapest Cabin:CoachBusinessFirst Add Row

Jaimito Cartero
03-28-08, 17:46
NWA is just jumping on the band wagon. US Air started it a month ago, then UA, and DL joined. In most cases, this only applies to tickets booked after a certain date, but double check their website to make sure.

Edited: Actually UA started it, then US Air followed.

As of yesterday, AA and CO weren't charging it, but they probably will, soon enough.

If you are an elite member, they don't charge this fee, or if you're flying in Business/First Class!

Sportsman
03-28-08, 18:11
AFAIK, this fee is only for domestic flights.

Jaimito Cartero
03-28-08, 18:33
AFAIK, this fee is only for domestic flights.North America from what I'm seeing so far, so Mexico, Canada and maybe part of the Caribbean. I just found out that AA is on the bandwagon too. So make sure you check the website if you're flying with a bunch of stuff. What often happens is they start with Domestic, and then slip in International at a later date.

Jaimito Cartero
03-29-08, 03:02
There are some interesting fares on Avianca from Atlanta to Lima and Santiago, Chile, with a forced stopover in Bogota. So far, the fares look like a bit over $300 RT. 3 day minimum, 1 month maximum.

You can look at the Flyertalk thread, if you want more info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806362

Smuler
03-29-08, 14:43
Hi Jaimito.

I already have my ticket booked for October 2008.

I will be bringing 2 suitcases. Since I already booked my ticket, will AA have the right to charge me extra for the 2nd bag when I fly in a couple months?

Just Curious. And thanks again for the information that you provide to this board!

Best Regards.

Smuler

Jaimito Cartero
03-29-08, 14:57
I will be bringing 2 suitcases. Since I already booked my ticket, will AA have the right to charge me extra for the 2nd bag when I fly in a couple months?If it's a flight to EZE, then you should be fine, as all changes so far have only been to flights in North America. I checked AA's website, and there are no changes for domestic flights yet, so perhaps their plan isn't fully in place yet.

I'd check their luggage info page,

https://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jsp

A few weeks before you go.

In most cases, if you buy a ticket before a rule goes into effect, then you should have the old rules for your flight. Delta has announced that ALL flights, May 1st and later, will go under the new rules. This violates their contract of carriage, so it's possible they will back down from this.

Again, most international travelers won't have to worry about this.

Jaimito Cartero
03-31-08, 17:21
Sidney PMed me about the new Delta promo for double EQMs (Elite Qualifying Miles) that they just released. This promo doesn't give you double miles that you can spend, but counts the miles you need to be elite as double. So, with one trip to BA, you can be a silver elite, and get some benefits out of it.

You have to be a Delta Skymiles member, and register. Only counts for flights from April-June, and you've got to buy the tickets by the end of April. If you're going to fly at least 12,500 miles in this time frame (domestic or international), it would be a good deal to become elite. Here are the full rules:

ACHIEVE STATUS 2X FASTER.

Book at delta. Com and earn double MQMs.

Register Today!

Island hopping? Yes, please. Web site hopping? No, thanks.

Skip the hassle and head straight to delta. Com, where you'll earn double Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) when you book a flight between March 31 and April 30, 2008 and travel by June 30, 2008.

Then start racking up the MQMs for Medallion® status, which enables you to enjoy exclusive perks like complimentary upgrades, priority boarding, mileage bonuses, preferred seating and Crown Room Club® discounts.

And regardless of your status, you'll receive VIP treatment at delta. Com, where you can take advantage of:

An industry-leading Best Fare Guarantee backed by a $100 travel voucher.

No direct ticketing charges or online booking fees.

Flexible searches by schedule, fare or airport location.

Convenient check-in options at home, on-the-go and at the airport.

Seamless flight, car, hotel and trip amenity reservations.

Register by April 30, 2008 and then get the most bang for your booking at delta. Com.

Register Today!

Terms & Conditions.

Eligibility:

You must be a new or existing SkyMiles® member with a U. S. Mailing address in your SkyMiles account to take advantage of this offer. To participate in this offer, eligible members must register online at delta. Com / double between March 31, 2008 and April 30, 2008.

Offer:

Earn double Medallion Qualification Miles / MQMs on all Delta-coded flights booked and purchased on delta. Com between March 31, 2008 and April 30, 2008 and flown between March 31, 2008 and June 30, 2008.

Travel Period:

Travel must be between March 31, 2008 and June 30, 2008. All travel must be completed by June 30, 2008.

Validity:

Medallion Qualification Miles are based on a multiple of distance flown and fare class purchased for qualifying flights and do not include bonus miles. Medallion Qualification Miles are used for Medallion status qualification and are based on calendar year activity. For this offer, members must book and purchase tickets on delta. Com between March 31, 2008 and April 30, 2008 and fly between March 31, 2008 and June 30, 2008 to be eligible for the offer.

Additional Restrictions:

Medallion Qualification Miles will post to the SkyMiles account of the qualifying member 6-8 weeks following the end of the promotion (June 30, 2008) Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. All SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, visit delta. Com / memberguide. Offers void where prohibited by law. Other restrictions may apply. Offers subject to change without notice.

Jaimito Cartero
04-02-08, 07:05
For those who want to visit the land of Inca Kola from LA-LA land, Avianca fucked up and is selling tickets for $36 round trip, plus about $200 in taxes. You've got to connect in Bogota, which could be good or bad depending on your view of it.

Ticket by April 13th, start your trip by the end of November. 3 day minimum. A lot of days have been scarfed up by rabid Flyertalkers, so it's not an easy one to find. Some guys have even found an add on fare to Cusco for $4 more, but it's probably going to be a tough one to find / figure out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807966

This deal will probably evaporate real quick.

Jaimito Cartero
04-03-08, 21:24
Aerolineas Argentinas suspended operations for 4 hours today. Hopefully this isn't a start of the dismemberment of this airline. I don't know the fiscal shape of the airline, but two domestic US airlines have gone under this week.

SmokersRule
04-03-08, 21:57
Similar deal from ATL to Santiago. I booked for $250. Looks like it must be in May.

Someone at Avianca is going to get fired.

For those who want to visit the land of Inca Kola from LA-LA land, Avianca fucked up and is selling tickets for $36 round trip, plus about $200 in taxes. You've got to connect in Bogota, which could be good or bad depending on your view of it.

Ticket by April 13th, start your trip by the end of November. 3 day minimum. A lot of days have been scarfed up by rabid Flyertalkers, so it's not an easy one to find. Some guys have even found an add on fare to Cusco for $4 more, but it's probably going to be a tough one to find / figure out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807966

This deal will probably evaporate real quick.

Jaimito Cartero
04-04-08, 00:35
Similar deal from ATL to Santiago. I booked for $250. Looks like it must be in May.Uh, yeah, I mentioned it in post 486.

SmokersRule
04-04-08, 01:56
Uh, good point.

Uh, my reported price, however, was $50 lower:)

Jaimito Cartero
04-04-08, 20:53
Continental Airlines is implementing a $25 fee for customers checking a second bag when traveling on certain Economy fare tickets. The fee will be apply for tickets purchased on or after April 5, 2008 for travel commencing on or after May 5, 2008 within the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. Certain customers will be exempt from paying the new fee and will be allowed to check second bags free of charge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions). These customers include:

* OnePass Elite members
* SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members
* Any customer traveling on a ticket purchased in Y class of service
* Continental Airlines Presidential Plus credit card holders
* Active military personnel traveling on orders

Customers traveling with the above exempt customers are also exempt as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including 10 or more customers.

All customers may continue to check one bag free of charge. Additionally, there is no charge for car seats, strollers and wheelchairs.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/checkbag.aspx

Rev BS
04-05-08, 15:59
Is it possible that Avianca is having cash flow problems with fuel costs escalating. Buying tickets for November could be dicey.

Jaimito Cartero
04-05-08, 17:20
Is it possible that Avianca is having cash flow problems with fuel costs escalating. Buying tickets for November could be diceyYou're protected on a couple of fronts with any airline purchase. First if you go through an online agency, that will afford you some protection. Second, by charging it with your credit card, they will almost always refund the money, even if they're out the money.

Jaimito Cartero
04-14-08, 22:36
Looks like the DL merger is going through. Expect more notices of merging (CO-UA) in the next weeks. It's probably going to be bad for those purchasing tickets. No more cheap tickets, or not as cheap as we'd like. :(

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11034

Shane44
04-15-08, 14:47
Actually, this merge has a number of significant hurdles to overcome before the two prosepctive airlines can begin operting as one and reap the economic benefits that a single unified operation presents.

First, it is not at all clear that Delta's institutional shareholders, who make up the majority of the ownership, will agree to the current proposed terms by management. Second, the Department of Justice will have to bless this marriage from an antitrust perspective, and that too is not a sure thing. Can two weak airlines be successfully combined into one strong airline without significantly impacting domestic competition negatively. Third, the politics of Minnesota losing jobs and Georgia gaining jobs will definitely become a political football. Finally, there is bound to be significant labor objections to this marriage from both Northwest's pilots and its machinists / mechanics. Remember, this deal fell apart just two months ago in February due to opposition from both companies pilot unions.

Jaimito Cartero
04-15-08, 19:42
I really hope the merger does not go through. I can only see negatives from my end of the deal. However, I think they'll push it through while they have a friendly person in the White House.

NW and Delta have very different international routes. There is domestic overlap, but out of any possible US merger, it's about as good as it can get. I think the large stock holders are the ones who are really pushing this deal, so other than some minor bitching, will want the stock to rise, so they can get their payday.

It will be the end of this year, or early next year before we know for sure. The unions will be problematic, but they will throw them some bones, and they'll probably see the inevitability of the situation. Many of the really pissed off NW folk have already taken off. Give them a 10% increase, and they'll be much happier.

Aqualung
04-15-08, 21:35
Domestic airlines have raised their prices 18% from today. That's 20% + 18% in the last twenty months!

Aqualung
05-13-08, 19:43
Friday a friend of mine came from the US on American. At the last moment he was told that American wasn't flying to Buenos Aires because of the volcano. But American were flying to Santiago de Chile and Lan from there to BA. After putting all the Buenos Aires passengers on the Santiago flight it was still quite empty.

Another friend came on Thursday on American. It was less than half full with almost every passenger having a full row to himself.

Only a few months ago another friend missed his Saturday night flight back to the US. He couldn't get another seat till Wednesday.

Nick Danger
05-15-08, 05:27
I arrived here on the 12th, American. The flight was pretty full.

Tessan
05-16-08, 22:01
Aerolineas Argentinas no longer has a flight to New York. The route was canceled. I just found out by email late today, was supposed to leave tomorrow. They said they where calling the number I gave them when I brought the ticket, which is my NY number, I am in BA. Only got an email today. They have a flight from BA to Miami, and they can buy me a flight on a third airline to NY but the people who can buy ticket on another airline do not work on weekends, have to call them on Monday. I had called them at 8pm local time, they had left. So I have to stay until Friday.

I should be pissed but I am not. I got 6 more days in BA. Not in a rush to get home. Landlady does not have anyone yet for my apt. So I just pay her a little more. Get to have 6 more days with my favor chicas.:)

Robf43
05-18-08, 02:05
Tessan - Not a bad problem to have, being stuck in BsAs For an extra 6 days!

I just spent the past 2 weeks fly fishing in San Martin de los Andes and Bariloche and the Bariloche (BRC) airport has been closed for 10 days ("due to ash in the atmosphere"). I took a bus from Bariloche to be. A. For 19 hours, just to make sure I catch my flight back to CA on Monday night.

Weird thing is, the San Martin de los Andes Airport (Chapelco) is open and it's only about 60 miles North of BRC. Chalk one more up to the "Well, that's the way it is in Argentina" category.

They'll probably re-instate the AA BA To NYC flight the day after you leave for Miami.

Bo Duke
05-20-08, 21:26
Just got back from BA, flew Mexicana from Mexico City. Flight was pretty sucky, got exactly the same three piss poor films on the way back as on the way out.

Whatever you do, don't accept a seat in files B or F (aisle seats) Under each chair, where your feet should go, is a metal box which takes up half the room. Some of the seats in files C and E also have these boxes, but not every single row. These boxes suck, they really piss you off on a 9 hour flight. Choose window or file D seats to be sure of avoiding them.

I've not flown AeroMexico to BA, but I flew with them to Sao Paolo last year and that was a much better flight (choice of movies on an individual screen for one thing, wine available with your meal etc) Anyone flying down to BA from Mexico direct should probably choose them instead.

Suerte!

Strad
06-09-08, 20:43
Looked at Orbitz, AA in June from NYC to EZE round trip is $589, but after adding the tax, is $1057, what fuk!

Dickhead
06-09-08, 21:09
My guess is that some of those taxes are not really taxes at all, although the airlines might like you to think that they are. A fuel surcharge is not a tax; it is just a price increase dressed up in a pretty little outfit. These airlines are a bunch of lying motherfuckers.

But that is still not too bad of a price.

Hobby Fan
06-10-08, 22:54
The huge markup between 'ticket price' and 'total you pay' on an American Airlines ticket purchased on Orbitz is not just "tax" but is for "taxes and fees." And that "taxes and fees" includes AA charges of the fuel surcharge variety, which Dickhead had prior identified as a part of the ticket price with a cute little outfit on.

This Dickhead sounds like a smart fellow. Maybe I will buy him a beer sometime.

Dickhead
06-11-08, 00:18
I will buy you a beer on June first. June first. June first. I feel bad about that.

MacDaddy
07-06-08, 21:44
I usually go to BA late to mid April each year. Do you guys think it is a good idea to buy tickets now to prevent future rate increases or wait?

Also, has anyone looked at deals on Travel Zoo. They have pre-arranged trips that go to BA and other deals where you go to Rio, Foz de Ignazu and BA for a few days in each city. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Rock Harders
07-07-08, 05:06
Mongers-

I just started looking up flights for my annual Christmas time return to the NYC area, and, quite predictably, prices are sky high as a result of the price of jet fuel. My usual EZE-JFK flight on AA that cost me $800 USD last year is now be quoted at an astronomical $2300 USD. However, it looks like Delta is starting a non-stop EZE-JFK flight as well, and that showed up around $1600 USD (still outrageous) Maybe Jaimito Cartero can come out of hibernation and give us the scoop if this is really the case, as it would be welcome competition to AA in this market. I am not going to book anything now because I honestly believe that prices cannot get any higher than they are currently quoted. UPDATE: I just googled and got information saying that Delta is indeed starting a EZE-JFK route starting December 18th; I may never fly on AA again.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Daddy Rulz
07-07-08, 09:51
Airlines are like hookers, prices should reflect supply and demand but they don't. Flights that are far in the future don't have much interest, either to travelers or airline pricing execs. As the dates get closer and the flights remain empty, the bosses ask why? Then like a hooker that has rent coming they become more open to negotiation.

Companies like Orbitz, Travelocity, and Priceline bought their seats last year, they buy the unused seats on flights, so their costs are pretty much unaffected by fuel price. On the legacy airlines, figuring a 767 with a max fuel load of right at 24,000 gallons, and 160 people for a full load of passengers gallons an increase of 1 dollar a gallon is 150 bucks a seat, 2 dollars a gallon is 300 a seat. 800 bucks for the round trip prolly will not happen this year, but 1000-1200 I think would be within reasonable expectations for a 1 stop flight.

Be prepared to buy, keep checking prices, use their notification options regarding pricing and you will get a decent deal. Decide what a good price is and buy it if it gets close to that number.

Priceline should be the company of last resort as you can't earn miles on their tickets. Right now Taca has a flight, through Travelocity, with a butt fucking ugly itin through Peru and Costa Rica, leaving BsAs 16 Dec returning 1 Jan for 1285 bucks taxes included.

Jaimito uses this site http://www.zuji.com/web/content/splash_index.html

Exon123
07-07-08, 21:04
Mongers-

I just started looking up flights for my annual Christmas time return to the NYC area, and, quite predictably, prices are sky high as a result of the price of jet fuel. My usual EZE-JFK flight on AA that cost me $800 USD last year is now be quoted at an astronomical $2300 USD. However, it looks like Delta is starting a non-stop EZE-JFK flight as well, and that showed up around $1600 USD (still outrageous) Maybe Jaimito Cartero can come out of hibernation and give us the scoop if this is really the case, as it would be welcome competition to AA in this market. I am not going to book anything now because I honestly believe that prices cannot get any higher than they are currently quoted. UPDATE: I just googled and got information saying that Delta is indeed starting a EZE-JFK route starting December 18th; I may never fly on AA again.

Suerte,

Rock HardersRock Harders,

Try this website, there airline consoliders and sometimes have good deals.

I just checked and from my home town the fair has gone down.

http://www.carbone-travel.com/

Exon

Daddy Rulz
07-09-08, 19:17
I wonder what they are after taxes and fuel charges.

Hunt99
07-10-08, 00:22
I wonder what they are after taxes and fuel charges.And the first bag fee. And the second bag fee. And the cubside checkin fee. And the takeoff and landing fee. And the 9/11 security fee. And the pillow fee. And the blanket fee. And the window seat fee. And the economy plus fee. And the dinner fee. And the lunch fee. And the breakfast fee. And the toilet fee. And the enema fee. And the "extra fee so we won't lose your luggage" fee.

(Those last three not yet charged, but doubtless coming.)

Fuck all the airlines except Southwest, which has none of these things.

Jackson
07-10-08, 00:31
And the first bag fee. And the second bag fee. And the cubside checkin fee. And the takeoff and landing fee. And the 9/11 security fee. And the pillow fee. And the blanket fee. And the window seat fee. And the economy plus fee. And the dinner fee. And the lunch fee. And the breakfast fee. And the toilet fee. And the enema fee. And the "extra fee so we won't lose your luggage" fee.

(Those last three not yet charged, but doubtless coming.

Fuck all the airlines except Southwest, which has none of these things.Hi Hunt,

You forgot the "Emotional Outburst" fee, which is imposed whenever a passenger vocally protests the other fees.

Thanks,

Jackson

Rock Harders
07-10-08, 00:50
Mongers-

I think the time has come to accept that traveling on any US-based airline (in economy class) has become the equivalent of taking a flying Greyhound bus. You get on, you suffer the entire trip, and you arrive at the destination hungry, tired, pissed off, and delayed.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Daddy Rulz
07-10-08, 16:36
Mongers-

I think the time has come to accept that traveling on any US-based airline (in economy class) has become the equivalent of taking a flying Greyhound bus. You get on, you suffer the entire trip, and you arrive at the destination hungry, tired, pissed off, and delayed.

Suerte,

Rock HardersAs a 7 year veteran of a legacy carrier I swear to you that time has long passed for the Airlines themselves. You are less than a number. I fucking HATED the traveling public, it came after years of being cursed and abused about circumstances beyond my control. Yes dickweed there really is a delay. If I could put you on the airplane you see sitting out there and get you out of my face believe me I would.

Sometime over a coffee ask me about Kangaroo Island and the assholes bag.

Dickhead
07-10-08, 19:55
My friend was assistant manager of the Durango, Colorado airport. A Mexican gentleman who spoke no English got off the plane, thinking he was in Durango, Mexico. My friend is customer service oriented and also understands the difference between marginal cost and absorption cost so he immediately poor the nice, befuddled gentleman on a (sparsely loaded) plane to Durango, Mexico. He felt this was a good solution to a potentially serious business problem.

This act of kindness and customer service, which cost very little on a marginal basis (fuel was a dollar gallon then) earned him a week's suspension without pay and a reprimand that stayed in his personnel file for a year.

Daddy Rulz
07-10-08, 21:06
My friend was assistant manager of the Durango, Colorado airport. A Mexican gentleman who spoke no English got off the plane, thinking he was in Durango, Mexico. My friend is customer service oriented and also understands the difference between marginal cost and absorption cost so he immediately poor the nice, befuddled gentleman on a (sparsely loaded) plane to Durango, Mexico. He felt this was a good solution to a potentially serious business problem.

This act of kindness and customer service, which cost very little on a marginal basis (fuel was a dollar gallon then) earned him a week's suspension without pay and a reprimand that stayed in his personnel file for a year.I had the same thing happen to me twice, once a lady who spoke no English from the Philippines visiting her sister who she hadn't seen for 20 years was lost in Austin. I took time to dial the 800 babel number (an amazing device, it connects you to speakers of damn near every language on earth) and had them call the airport and make an announcement over the PA directing the lost none english speaking sister to our counter. I got my ass reamed for "wasting" time.

The other time was a diverted flight, LAX to IAD. Diverted to Harrisburg due to weather, this old Polish guy thinking he was in DC got off the plane and missed it when it took off. I was going to put him on the next flight, my boss made him pay.

Didn't take me long to figure out the corporate culture.