PDA

View Full Version : Airlines

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Artisttyp
10-06-10, 18:41
Has anyone bought a ticket on LAN online lately? I am interested in buying a ticket to ecuador for $502. I noticed they don't allow you to choose your seat at the time of purchase with "base fare" tickets. In order to do so I would need to buy a "base fare" plus ticket for an extra $172 .

I could deal with whatever seat they gave me but who is to say they wouldn't bump me from the flight if they had a base fare plus buyer? After all I wouldn't have an assigned seat. Why not just assign me whatever seat they choose once I've paid for it. It looks like they are charging people these rates to be stand by's.

Anybody?

Jaimito Cartero
10-06-10, 22:01
Has anyone bought a ticket on LAN online lately? I am interested in buying a ticket to ecuador for $502. I noticed they don't allow you to choose your seat at the time of purchase with "base fare" tickets. In order to do so I would need to buy a "base fare" plus ticket for an extra $172.

I could deal with whatever seat they gave me but who is to say they wouldn't bump me from the flight if they had a base fare plus buyer? After all I wouldn't have an assigned seat. Why not just assign me whatever seat they choose once I've paid for it. It looks like they are charging people these rates to be stand by's.

Anybody? Hey, Chickenlittle, er, Art.

Unless you don't check in on time, if they bump you then they'd owe you IDB for your flight. Many airlines allow you to check in online at the 24 hour mark. Check in as close as possible, usually you get to choose your flight at this time. Sometimes you can also call in and get an assigned seat.

Artisttyp
10-06-10, 23:18
Hey, Chickenlittle, er, Art.

Unless you don't check in on time, if they bump you then they'd owe you IDB for your flight. Many airlines allow you to check in online at the 24 hour mark. Check in as close as possible, usually you get to choose your flight at this time. Sometimes you can also call in and get an assigned seat. Thanks.

I don't get the chicken little bit? Are you the skipper and I am gilligan?

LAN has I believe 4 or 5 different levels of tickets. It's ridiculous.

Jaimito Cartero
10-07-10, 12:04
Thanks.

I don't get the chicken little bit? Are you the skipper and I am gilligan?

LAN has I believe 4 or 5 different levels of tickets. It's ridiculous. Research what Chicken Littles catchphrase was.

Most airlines have many different fare classes. On an average flight a coach ticket may cost between $400-2000 each. Same seat. Full fare tickets (usually Y and B class fare buckets) may be upgraded to first class for free on some routes, especially if you are elite. Or with a certain amount of miles.

Some seats may be in their elite section. They may offer extra legroom for free, or even an empty seat next to you, since they fill them up last.

As I have mentioned before, elite status can help a lot. Free luggage allowance, extra frequent flyer miles. Upper levels often give free lounge access. Given the amount you fly you should at least be lower or middle tier. (Most US airlines have 3 levels. 25k, 50k and 75/100k)

Rev BS
10-22-10, 22:32
Wrong thread but did not feel like creating a new one. Just wanted to pass along some great cruising deals that has BA as a destination in the next few months. With airfares not coming down anytime soon, and plenty of cruising promotions for people who has the freedom to go anytime and also longer vacations, it can be very useful and enjoyable. I often use cruises to navigate my way around, especially inter-continental and regional cruises. All prices are for interior rooms.

1) December 4, Star Princess, Rome to Rio de Janeiro, 16 days, from $699 + tax.

2) December 20, Star Princess, Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires, 20 days, from $1605 + tax (wish I could go on this
one with Antartica on the itinerary)

3) December 5, Celebriity Infinity, Miami to Santiago, 14 days, $1499 + tax (was down to $899 and could go down
again)

Now of course, you need 2 people so the costs goes up if you are toting the bill. And you need pussy especially for the long cruise, so that makes it difficult for mongers. Staring at a fellow monger with a hard on for any length of time might result in some form of strangulation. Imagine Exon and Jackson in such a scenerio, not bad for a tv series. But I remember in early 2008 after the financial meltdown, prices for a cruise between Santiago and BA, for 14 days dropped to an unbelievable $499 or $599. I kid you not, as I had already paid $999 and considered that a bargain, so you could have easily pick up a chick in BA, and get star treatment for being such a benevolent sponsor.

Jaimito Cartero
10-22-10, 23:45
There might be a few chicas that it might fun to cruise with, but a week at tops. Cruising can be a good deal if you have someone to go with, otherwise you'll end up spending too much time and money away from the action.

Perhaps if they had a nice Mongering Cruise.

Redhot
10-27-10, 03:00
From November 3 at 11pm to December 1st inclusive, Jorge Newbery Airport will be closed for maintenance of the track, forcing the passenger to move to the Ezeiza International Airport for cabotage trips.

Miami Bob
11-18-10, 00:54
Gentlemen[and I use that term loosely]

I have an adventure coming: leave miami early morning to jfk / NYC. Visit with aunt and uncle in their 90's; back to jfk and taking the red-eye to BA. Basically 24 hours of traveling and two trips thru TSA security.

I must travel with cash and med's. On TV there was a bunch of confusing stuff about "enhanced security", pat-downs and special new x-ray equipment. On TV. They said that now in is necessary to have empty pockets-no $ no plastic pill cases?

I haven't flown in a few months and the new security stated nov 8 or 9.

Do I have to really fly with empty pockets. My apartment rental $ and extra cash cannot be on my person?

http://www.tsa.gov

The tsa website offers little help-I'll ask the boys: what the F*k is actually going on here?

Jackson
11-18-10, 03:05
Gentlemen[and I use that term loosely]

I have an adventure coming: leave miami early morning to jfk / NYC. Visit with aunt and uncle in their 90's; back to jfk and taking the red-eye to BA. Basically 24 hours of traveling and two trips thru TSA security.

I must travel with cash and med's. On TV there was a bunch of confusing stuff about "enhanced security", pat-downs and special new x-ray equipment. On TV. They said that now in is necessary to have empty pockets-no $ no plastic pill cases?

I haven't flown in a few months and the new security stated nov 8 or 9.

Do I have to really fly with empty pockets. My apartment rental $ and extra cash cannot be on my person?

http://www.tsa.gov

The tsa website offers little help-I'll ask the boys: what the F*k is actually going on here? Miami Bob,

My advice is to write to your congressman and tell them that enough is enough, and that its time to put liberal PC sensitivities aside and for us to start using profiling as our primary screening strategy. You can explain it to him like this: Stop screening for the devices and start screening for the criminals!

Thanks,

Jackson

Member #3320
11-18-10, 12:17
Guys,

Anyone knows of any good deals for the route, JFK to EZE in Dec or Jan?

Thanks

Damman
11-18-10, 13:52
Just flew in yesterday. I think, and who hell really knows. When going through the new xray machines, they make you empty your pockets of everything. No cash, billfold, nothing, the fuckin lint in your pockets causes problems. You place everything in a tray and you and your $ part ways while going through security. You get to pick your stuff up after you clear security and continue on your way.

See where flying in and out of EZE next Thursday could be fun. Close the highway to EZE.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/conflicto-empleados-aeronauticos-amenazan-Riccheri_0_373162910.html

Wild Walleye
11-18-10, 17:45
Just flew in yesterday. I think, and who hell really knows. When going through the new xray machines, they make you empty your pockets of everything. No cash, billfold, nothing, the fuckin lint in your pockets causes problems. You place everything in a tray and you and your $ part ways while going through security. You get to pick your stuff up after you clear security and continue on your way.

See where flying in and out of EZE next Thursday could be fun. Close the highway to EZE.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/conflicto-empleados-aeronauticos-amenazan-Riccheri_0_373162910.htmlThis process and the related efficiencies is going to metastasize into something pretty ugly. There is no shortage of stories where after putting one's stuff onto the conveyor belt and going through the metal detector, a traveler is for one reason or another selected for wanding and / or pat down and during the process, somebody grabs some of his stuff off the belt and disappears. While there are cameras and the like, there is no way they are going to break a sweat trying to help you get your $2k or your Rolex back after their process forced you to place it at risk.

I am a highly allergic to being separated from my passport, cards and cash. I also don't like being told what to do by authoritarian storm troopers. I have not been through a US scanner yet but I plan to follow my usual procedure when I do and will adjust or refuse accordingly.

I go for maximum efficiency and security when passing through security. I wear slip on loafers, a belt that I know won't set off the detectors. My carry on is set up to go: my laptop (nothing connected to it) and my 1-quart baggie with all of my liquids (shave cream, shampoo, gel deodorant, etc) are right on top. They go in the first bin, zip the carry on closed, toss it in front of the first bin (easier to push things along that way, shoes and jacket (phone in pocket) go in the second bin. In my bag, to facilitate inspection should the need arise, all cords and adapters are stored in a clear 1-gallon bag, similarly my extra phones and accessories are in another clear bag as are my meds and non-liquid toiletries. When taking off my jacket, I flip it inside out (not the sleeves) and roll it up so as to prevent anything from falling out and to keep it clean, I put my passport and boarding pass in my shirt breast pocket. I keep cash and credit cards in my pants pocket. Through the detector and collect my stuff. I never take my eye off my stuff on the belt and on the occasions when I get selected for extra scrutiny, I make it clear (in a polite way) to TSA that keeping an eye on my stuff is important and something on which I will not compromise.

In my opinion, it is best to smile, be polite and easy going and do absolutely nothing that might set one of these guys off or give them a reason to involve anyone else (supervisor) in the process because it will only slow you down.

If carrying more than a couple hundred bucks (while traveling internationally) I like to tuck it away in something like this:

http://www.hikestop.com/lewis_n_clark_hidden_security_stash-744368.php

It is basically a small, zippered, flimsy, nylon baggie with a loop, through which you run your belt to hold it in place. You put your belt through the loop and then let it hang down inside your pants. It is not noticeable (so long as you don't stuff $20k in singles in it) when placed on the outside of you hip. You can put 30-40 crisp bills in it without creating much of a bulge, depending upon the cut of your slacks. You can also position directly in front. If you are going belt-less or expect that you will need to remover your belt, either connect the loop it to the button on the front of your pants (before buttoning your pants) or somehow affix it to one of your belt loops.

You may also like: https://stashitware.com/pocket_underwear.html

With this one, the underwear, has a pocket right on top of your johnson.

If the TSA is telling the truth about the body scanners, that they are set to distort the passenger's genitalia, the item may be obscured. In any event, the scanner can see through both the bag and the cash and you should not be required to remove it. It is unreasonable that even the dumbest TSA employee could interpret the image to be of something dangerous. I don't know this for a fact but I would suspect that unless the item under your clothes appeared to be something that could be dangerous, you wouldn't get called out on it. Further, if your cash is directly over your doodle, in a pat down, the TSA agent will need to place his (hopefully her) hand directly on the little guy, a practice that I believe is reserved for the few, chosen for special screening.

Leaving the politics aside, this process is a cluster fuck, at best. There is absolutely no legal foundation upon which TSA can forcibly dispossess you of thousands of dollars of your cash and place it at risk in an open, unsecured environment. However, none of this means that you won't get called out on it. If discovered you might be asked what it is or to remove it. If and when this event occurs, I would politely ask which one of the TSA agents will be keeping custody and bearing personal responsibility for my property (something I am certain they will not understand.

El Perro
11-18-10, 20:09
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/11/18/us/AP-US-Airport-Security-Private-Screeners.html?hp

Miami Bob
11-19-10, 00:44
Boys who have been through the process which just stated nov 8 or 9. Please tell us exactly what to expect so we can prepare and WW doesn't have to undress in line and cause many women to faint when they see the size of the bulge in his underwear cause by his flesh-not his hidden bankroll.

This will be a new adventure. I, like WW, had mastered the former procedures and I am not looking forward to the new ones.

Wild Walleye
11-19-10, 02:35
Boys who have been through the process which just stated nov 8 or 9. Please tell us exactly what to expect so we can prepare and WW doesn't have to undress in line and cause many women to faint when they see the size of the bulge in his underwear cause by his flesh-not his hidden bankroll.

This will be a new adventure. I, like WW, had mastered the former procedures and I am not looking forward to the new ones. I have been contemplating putting a rolled up sock in my shorts when I go through security. However, I suspect that this humorless legion of automatons would fail to find it funny.

Again, the procedures may say no money belts, the law says otherwise, provided however, that this issue needs to be adjudicated which will take some time.

WorldTravel69
11-19-10, 19:39
Bayboy is having trouble on AP, so he asked me to post this for him.

"I just got back from Colombia last week. Flew American Airlines from San Francisco to Miami, changed planes and then to Medellin. Same route coming back, I went thru security checks in SF going out and Miami coming back.

My pockets were NOT empty at the checks. Had little things like a pen, comb, handkerchief, chapstick etc. In my pockets. My money was put in a pouch and put in the tray. Also by medicines were in a Ziplock bag in my carry on luggage.

There was a lite pat-down at security. In Miami it was done by a female guard? Those people worried about having their genitalia grabbed are over exaggerating the situation. Watching too much FOX TV. It was so lite, I don't see how they could have detected a bomb anyway.

Out."

I have been contemplating putting a rolled up sock in my shorts when I go through security. However, I suspect that this humorless legion of automatons would fail to find it funny.

Again, the procedures may say no money belts, the law says otherwise, provided however, that this issue needs to be adjudicated which will take some time.

Punter 127
11-19-10, 20:50
The enhanced pat-downs are for those who 'opt out' of the full-body scans, or those who set off the alarm on the metal detector. I just came through DFW and had the enhanced body scan, shoes off, belt off, and pockets completely empty. I was allowed to keep my billfold and small papers in my hands which were held over my head during the scan.

I witnessed a guy refuse the scan at DFW, they made a big deal out of it loudly calling out 'opt out' several times.

Anyone who says the pat-down this guy got was 'light' is very mistaken, or they're blowing smoke up your ass, which would be similar to what you get from MSNBC.

Sportsman
11-19-10, 21:03
I just flew back on from a three day monger trip from Frankfurt, Germany on Monday. In Frankfurt you are always told to empty everything out of the pocket, but you keep your shoes on initially. Sometime I still set off the metal detector, then the shoes come off to be scanned. I had the pat-down and the hand-held wand. Never bother me. Small price to pay to have sex with 15 girls in 3 days. :D

Exon123
11-19-10, 21:05
The enhanced pat-downs are for those who 'opt out' of the full-body scans, or those who set off the alarm on the metal detector. I just came through DFW and had the enhanced body scan, shoes off, belt off, and pockets completely empty. I was allowed to keep my billfold and small papers in my hands which were held over my head during the scan.

I witnessed a guy refuse the scan at DFW, they made a big deal out of it loudly calling out 'opt out' several times.

Anyone who says the pat-down this guy got was 'light' is very mistaken, or they're blowing smoke up your ass, which would be similar to what you get from MSNBC. Punter,

I'll bet your a "Site" on the full body scanner.

Sorry to have missed You.

Exon

Miami Bob
11-25-10, 02:23
I survived Miami to JFK / NYC to EZE / BA. I spoke to security supervisers at MIA and JFK. The new rules if you go thru on of the new x-rays is:

You must have empty pockets and no money belts. If they pick-up anything on the scanner, you must place in a bin.

Both supervisers said PLEASE just follow the new rules and safley stash your valuable in a carry-on and then go in a bathroom and do what ever you want to do.

The rules were made by bureaucratic who do not go thru the lines and end up with a wallet and credit cards or a money belt in a bin. Both supervisors were unhappy and aggreed with me that the upper end people in Washington should be forced to go thru the normal lines when taking a two week vacation to understand the realities of the situation.

The rank and file workers were generally polite. I did not witness anyone who refused the enhanced x-ray imaging.

Trampa
12-13-10, 22:57
Anybody ever used the miles by the frequent flyer programm of British Airways, I have about 10. 000 and would like to know what I can do with those miles

Tequila Tim
12-14-10, 02:10
Anybody ever used the miles by the frequent flyer programm of British Airways, I have about 10. 000 and would like to know what I can do with those milesYou can use British Airways miles for American Airlines flights. I got a Chase British Airways credit card with a 100,000 mile sign-up bonus and have booked 2 trips thus far to BA. You can book American Airlines flights through the British Airway website. Here's a useful web site for credit card frequent flyer mile bonuses:

http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

Here's a link for a 50K British Airway bonus:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/visa-signature-card/public/en_us

You can also transfer American Express Starwood points into BA miles. I believe there is a 25K Starwood bonus on the frugal travel guy web site. 25K bonus + 10K balance +5K spend on card would =40K (an off season round trip on American Airlines).

WorldTravel69
12-14-10, 05:37
British Airways from Where?

From S. F. I would have to buy 30, 000. With A.A. and United wants 50, 000. total in off season,

Which is March thru October, I believe.

Anybody ever used the miles by the frequent flyer programm of British Airways, I have about 10. 000 and would like to know what I can do with those miles

BayBoy
12-25-10, 17:52
When I go to Colombia (I need 30, 000) I always buy some miles from American Airlines. Every 6, 000 miles I purchase gets me 2, 000 bonus miles for the price. The miles add up fast.

Donnie D
12-27-10, 22:57
American Airlines is the way to go for me. I prefer to use my miles when I travel during off season. 40, 000 miles can get you to South America. All you pay is the tax (about $112 US).

During high season I buy the ticket direct from the Airline and use my credit card. This way I get the miles from the cost of the ticket plus the actual miles flown.

DD

Droplet
04-03-11, 17:35
Hi all, a slight off topic here on the forum,

Does anyone know how much a cheap flight is to ushuaia is from Buenos Aires? Aerolineas says its about $300. I heard there is another airline called LADE that does it for $125. But on the website, it is unable to provide any sort of information. Can anyone provide some useful info or confirmation on this?

Finally, buying a plane ticket to Ushuaia, are there airline offices in town instead of going to the airport? Which can be both time consuming and expensive.

Thanks,

Sportsman
04-03-11, 20:43

Does anyone know how much a cheap flight is to ushuaia is from Buenos Aires? Aerolineas says its about $300. I heard there is another airline called LADE that does it for $125. But on the website, it is unable to provide any sort of information. Can anyone provide some useful info or confirmation on this?

Finally, buying a plane ticket to Ushuaia, are there airline offices in town instead of going to the airport? Which can be both time consuming and expensive.

Thanks, Never flew them before, but here (http://www.lade.com.ar/ingles/sucursales_ingles.html) are LADE branch offices. Based on the number of travel agencies I see in town, my guess is most Argentines don't do plane ticketing online.

WorldTravel69
04-03-11, 23:26
Lan goes there. I do not know which days. I tried two and it said "Try another Day."

Lan is cheaper than Aerolineas.

I used the travel services listed on this site. I can not remember her name.

I have also booked through a travel company on Calle Florida at Paraguay. It is upstairs across from the old Herods store. You can see it from the street.

Thanks,

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-11, 05:35
When I go to Colombia (I need 30, 000) I always buy some miles from American Airlines. Every 6, 000 miles I purchase gets me 2, 000 bonus miles for the price. The miles add up fast.30k offseason with AA is pretty good deal. There are much better ways than buying the miles from AA, though. Citibank / AA has some nice credit card sign up bonuses, and you can often get airline miles through other avenues. I bought some hotel points last week, that I was able to turn into AA miles. 44, 000 miles for about $300. At that kind of rate, I'd spend a lot to buy them, but the deal was very limited.

Credit card signups are some of the easiest ways to get free or almost free miles. I earned about 300k AA miles in the span of a year.

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-11, 06:48
American Airlines is the way to go for me. I prefer to use my miles when I travel during off season. 40, 000 miles can get you to South America. All you pay is the tax (about $112 US).

During high season I buy the ticket direct from the Airline and use my credit card. This way I get the miles from the cost of the ticket plus the actual miles flown.

DDAre you flying from the US? $112 in taxes seems to high for an award ticket on AA.

WhiteCat
05-15-11, 10:05
I earned 40k from CITI by opening 2 accounts. I just booked and got a ticket for 40K from AA with $68. 00 tax. Free ticket!

BlueFalcon
06-07-11, 22:01
What is the local scoop on flight delays / cancellations at EZE and BUE due to the Chile volcano eruption?

BF

Silver Star
06-08-11, 14:33
What is the local scoop on flight delays / cancellations at EZE and BUE due to the Chile volcano eruption?

BFI was at the airport doing a pickup this morning, and it looks like we are back to normal.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires Airport Transfers in English

Silver Star
06-09-11, 12:32
I was at the airport doing a pickup this morning, and it looks like we are back to normal.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires Airport Transfers in EnglishI am showing Delta110, United 846, and Continental 52 cancelled for today, June 9th.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Stan Da Man
06-09-11, 14:11
Howdy folks. Quick couple of questions:

I'm flying into the local airport (AEP) next month from Rio de Janeiro (GIG). I've never flown into AEP. How bad is it? It's near Puerto Madero, correct?

Also, do the same Customs procedures apply? In particular, I'm traveling with one gentleman who has never been to Argentina, and therefore has not paid the one-time tourist tax they impose when you land at EZE. Will they impose this same tax on a US Citizen flying in from Brazil via AEP?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Toymann
06-09-11, 16:50
My morning AA flight from dallas got within 100 miles of EZE and was rerouted to Santiago, Chile for the night due to the volcano. This was the case will all AA flights from north america today based on the lineup at the hotel here in santiago. Toymann is very unhappy right now. They are supposed to fly out of here tomorrow afternoon but we'll see. Very Bummed Toymann

Chezz
06-09-11, 17:59
Howdy folks. Quick couple of questions:

I'm flying into the local airport (AEP) next month from Rio de Janeiro (GIG). I've never flown into AEP. How bad is it? It's near Puerto Madero, correct?

Also, do the same Customs procedures apply? In particular, I'm traveling with one gentleman who has never been to Argentina, and therefore has not paid the one-time tourist tax they impose when you land at EZE. Will they impose this same tax on a US Citizen flying in from Brazil via AEP?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows. You'll enjoy flying into Aeroparque (AEP) much more than EZE. In fact, if you're flying out of Rio, there's actually some flights out of Santos Dumont (SDU) now that are much more convenient that flying out of GIG. Regarding AEP, as it's your first point of entry, you'll need to clear customs. But in any case, a much better option than Ezeiza. Also, it's not so close to Puerto Madero. It's actually closer to Palermo Chico and the athletic clubs, right next to the water. You'll enjoy the view of the city on approach. Get a seat on the right.

And yes, if your friend hasn't paid his tourist tax, he'll need to pay it at Aeroparque. Good for 10 years.

Cheers.

Stan Da Man
06-09-11, 18:20
You'll enjoy flying into Aeroparque (AEP) much more than EZE. In fact, if you're flying out of Rio, there's actually some flights out of Santos Dumont (SDU) now that are much more convenient that flying out of GIG. Regarding AEP, as it's your first point of entry, you'll need to clear customs. But in any case, a much better option than Ezeiza. Also, it's not so close to Puerto Madero. It's actually closer to Palermo Chico and the athletic clubs, right next to the water. You'll enjoy the view of the city on approach. Get a seat on the right.

And yes, if your friend hasn't paid his tourist tax, he'll need to pay it at Aeroparque. Good for 10 years.

Cheers. Thanks very much. I've heard AEP has a very bad reputation among pilots for takeoffs and landings, but that's about it.

Off the top of your head, do you know which airlines fly from SDU to AEP? I booked through Orbitz, which is about the only way to get an English interface for international travel on a Brazilian airline. Neither the TAM nor Gol websites work well in English, and their English speaking customer service actually only speak Portuguese.

At any rate, Orbitz didn't show any direct flights from SDU to AEP. Clearly that would be a better way to go, but I assumed that Brazil wasn't letting SDU service international destinations. Sounds like that's not the case.

And, while I'm asking: Does anyone know of a better aggregator for non-US international travel? Last I checked, neither Priceline nor Travelocity would permit one to book travel that both originates and ends in South America. Orbitz will but, as I mentioned, the listed flights would appear to be limited.

Thanks again.

Chezz
06-09-11, 18:41
Thanks very much. I've heard AEP has a very bad reputation among pilots for takeoffs and landings, but that's about it.

Off the top of your head, do you know which airlines fly from SDU to AEP? I booked through Orbitz, which is about the only way to get an English interface for international travel on a Brazilian airline. Neither the TAM nor Gol websites work well in English, and their English speaking customer service actually only speak Portuguese.

At any rate, Orbitz didn't show any direct flights from SDU to AEP. Clearly that would be a better way to go, but I assumed that Brazil wasn't letting SDU service international destinations. Sounds like that's not the case.

And, while I'm asking: Does anyone know of a better aggregator for non-US international travel? Last I checked, neither Priceline nor Travelocity would permit one to book travel that both originates and ends in South America. Orbitz will but, as I mentioned, the listed flights would appear to be limited.

Thanks again. Stan, I must be mistaken regarding flights out of SDU. Sorry about that. You know, I could have sworn GOL had direct flights. I know I priced them out before, though they were more expensive than into EZE. Maybe it wasn't direct. Hmmm.

In any case, when I'm down here I always book online with Expedia. I use Momondo. Com or Kayak as the aggregator and then head either back to Expedia or directly to the individual airline's Web Site. Unless it's Aerolineas Argnetinas, in which case I only buy their tickets through Expedia.

Member #4112
06-09-11, 18:52
Go to the TAM webstie and join their rewards club and it seems to make working on the web site easier, IMHO.

I have booked several flights directly from their site with both origin and destination down here. The site supports English with no problem but can be a bit twitchie at times. When I have a problem booking for some reason there is a Florida number listed on the site you can call for assistance, just have the flight number handy and they take care if it with no problem including the payment.

Tried to post the complete English TAM link but it will not post completely, so just go to http://www.tam.com.br and look at the top of the page to change the country - select United States and go from there. Be sure and enter your new TAM rewards login and password.

Stan Da Man
06-09-11, 21:26
Go to the TAM webstie and join their rewards club and it seems to make working on the web site easier, IMHO.

I have booked several flights directly from their site with both origin and destination down here. The site supports English with no problem but can be a bit twitchie at times. When I have a problem booking for some reason there is a Florida number listed on the site you can call for assistance, just have the flight number handy and they take care if it with no problem including the payment.

Tried to post the complete English TAM link but it will not post completely, so just go to.

http://www.tam.com.br

And look at the top of the page to change the country. Select United States and go from there. Be sure and enter your new TAM rewards login and password. Thanks to both you and Chezz. I hadn't tried Expedia for a while, so that may be a good solution. Also, I've experienced the frustration of trying to navigate TAM's website in English but had never tried joining their rewards program. I've flown them enough so I should have done that long ago. If that makes the website work better, then that's perfect. I appreciate the suggestions from both of you. If you're in BA July 27-29, I owe you each a beer or three. Thanks!

Luckyman
06-10-11, 14:20
Heads up. Flights cancelled. Sadly TAM neglected to send me an email telling me my flight this morning to Asuncióand had been canceled, along with pretty much every other flight as best I could see. Apparently they will be reassessing the situation this afternoon. That's too late for me and I will be canceling my short trip and looking for some local trouble over the weekend.

Silver Star
06-10-11, 21:35
Heads up. Flights cancelled. Sadly TAM neglected to send me an email telling me my flight this morning to Asuncióand had been canceled, along with pretty much every other flight as best I could see. Apparently they will be reassessing the situation this afternoon. That's too late for me and I will be canceling my short trip and looking for some local trouble over the weekend.Flights from EZE June 10 are resuming, since 7PM, of course assuming the respective plane arrived in the 1st place. I passed by AEP at 5PM and it was totally dead.

Fred www.silverstarcar.com

Silver Star
06-13-11, 00:18
Flights from EZE June 10 are resuming, since 7PM, of course assuming the respective plane arrived in the 1st place. I passed by AEP at 5PM and it was totally dead.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Am tracking DL 101 from Atlanta, is cancelled and all arrivals after 8AM next morning too.

So if you are here in BsAs and going out on the 13th, your respective plane may not be in town!

Looks like the European flites are in the air, (BA 247 and 510 from Frankfurt) but watch for possible diversions, may not land at EZE.

Fred.

Specializing in Premium Buenos Aires Airport Ytansfers.

www.silverstarcar.com

Stranger
06-13-11, 19:17
Got a mail that they cancel my flight to Paris tomorrow, and basically a have a nice day message!

I tried to go to the airport but no luck or info there.

Called Air France and can not get anyone on the line!

Chezz
06-13-11, 21:02
Got a mail that they cancel my flight to Paris tomorrow, and basically a have a nice day message!

I tried to go to the airport but no luck or info there.

Called Air France and can not get anyone on the line! Stranger,

Use Skype and call Air France in the United States. +1-800-237-2747 I've had fairly good luck getting a rep on the phone in the past. I just tried now and it took a whole (long hold times) but was able to get a rep. See if you can reschedule for Wednesday. If not, get a refund for your ticket and call Delta +1-800-221-1212. Like Air France a member of Sky Team or go to their office at AV Santa Fe 887. Also try American at +1-800-433-7300 or go to their office at Suipacha 1111. Unfortunately, it appears that for the next two days, all international flights from EZE have been cancelled.

If you ABSOLUTELY need to exit BsAs, take an overnight bus to Mendoza and continue from there. You can get a flight from MDZ to either Santiago or Sao Paulo and continue on to CDG. I would suggest Rosario or Cordoba, but I think all flights from those cities connect through Aeroparque. And forget about the BuqueBus to Montevideo. MVD is shut down too.

Good luck!

Jackson
06-13-11, 21:11
Greetings Everyone,

This is a link to the Argentina government's official airport website which has the real time status updates of arrivals and departures at all of the country's airports, including EZE.

http://www.aa2000.com.ar/

There is an option to view an English version of the webpage.

Good luck,

Jackson

Member #4112
06-13-11, 21:38
Here Is another link for departures and arrivals at EZE in English

http://www.ifly.com/ezeiza-international-airport/EZE-airport-flight-status-departures

Just click on the link, it works I just tried it.

Rock Harders
06-13-11, 22:07
Mongers-

Another option would be to either take a bus or rent a car (driving your own car you can arrive in Asuncion in less than 15 hours) and drive up to Asuncion (ASU) and take a flight from there. From ASU you could take a flight to on GOL to Sao Paulo and then on to Europe on any number of airlines. Other options from ASU would be flights to Lima (several European destinations non-stop) or Santa Cruz de la Sierra (flights to Miami and Madrid).

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Damman
06-15-11, 14:06
My new found expertise: meteorology and volcanology.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/volcanic?REGION=vaacch&V=Puyehue&LANG=en&ART=1

http://mobile.plane-mad.com/airport-weather/argentina/buenos-aires-ezeiza-ministro-pistarini-eze-saez.html

http://www.flightstats.co.uk/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=EZE&airportQueryType=1

Andres2
06-16-11, 20:08
Flew in yesterday and had no problems. Most flights are running but some with long delays

Miami Bob
11-01-11, 02:44
Flyer talk featured it as a suggested mileage run. AA's wedsite has the cheapest fares they offer, except through consolidators.

San franciso is the special-can search for cheapest connection-miami, jfk / NYC or dfw. I costs less to travel fron sanfrancisco than miami?

Fr

WorldTravel69
11-01-11, 11:49
That depends on how far in advance you search. I searched last week for a Mid November flight from SFO to EZE and the Price was $1400. Two months ago it was $1000.

Flyer talk featured it as a suggested mileage run. AA's wedsite has the cheapest fares they offer, except through consolidators.

San franciso is the special-can search for cheapest connection-miami, jfk / NYC or dfw. I costs less to travel fron sanfrancisco than miami?

Fr

Punter 127
11-01-11, 13:47
That depends on how far in advance you search. I searched last week for a Mid November flight from SFO to EZE and the Price was $1400. Two months ago it was $1000.You might want to check it again on Americans webpage. I just did a quick check and MB is right.

San Francisco to Buenos Aires

1 Adult

Tuesday November 15, 2011 – Thursday December 1, 2011

Your Trip Cost:

$861. 60 USD

*Taxes & Fees Included
I just picked random dates, other dates are available.

Miami Bob
11-02-11, 01:44
There can be a wide pricing variation, based upon route-sfo-dfw-eze; sfo-mia-eze; or sfo-jfk-eze. If you have flexibility, I'll bet you can go under us$800 and possibly get mileage bonus-sfo to jfk.

Best of luck and thank you for all the work you do to help all of the AP membership

WorldTravel69
11-02-11, 12:22
I guess I picked a day when the plane was almost full.

I noticed on the return flight, as I looked down the list for the hours of departure the rates went up. That is confusing. I can only remember one departure time. 9 something.

You might want to check it again on Americans webpage. I just did a quick check and MB is right.

I just picked random dates, other dates are available.

Punter 127
11-03-11, 02:00
I guess I picked a day when the plane was almost full.

I noticed on the return flight, as I looked down the list for the hours of departure the rates went up. That is confusing. I can only remember one departure time. 9 something.AA has four flights leaving EZE going to MIA (2) JFK, or DFW between 9:45 and 11:35 PM, your connection will effect the price.

I think the $375 each-way plus tax is a promo out of SFO, and I don't think you'll find a price better price on AA.

Good Luck.

DoubleRTexas
11-29-11, 11:28
AA has four flights leaving EZE going to MIA (2) JFK, or DFW between 9:45 and 11:35 PM, your connection will effect the price.

I think the $375 each-way plus tax is a promo out of SFO, and I don't think you'll find a price better price on AA.

Good Luck.American Airlines just filed for Bankruptcy.

Punter 127
11-29-11, 17:04
AA has four flights leaving EZE going to MIA (2) JFK, or DFW between 9:45 and 11:35 PM, your connection will effect the price.

Good Luck.
American Airlines just filed for Bankruptcy.American Airlines filed for reorganization under Chapter 11.

So would you please tell us what that has to do with my original post, especially considering AA's flight schedules are uneffected at this time?

Miami Bob
12-02-11, 00:18
I just got an email; from Citibank regarding American's chapter 11 filing and Citi's advantage rewards CC. Citi claims that American has indicated that they will continue to leave the advatage rewards points associated with the Citi CC in place.

I flew of an American flite to Miami after the chapter 11 filing. The business food service was more like couch meals. The traditional Business meals were not served-simulated dog shit replaced there normal service. The breakfast was a cheese place like what was offerred in busainess as a desert choice. LAN starts looking better every day!

Artisttyp
03-31-12, 16:50
I could not find a thread relating to this topic on ISG. Hopefully someone can give me insight here on AP.

I am going to Mexico on a one way ticket. This is allowed since technically Mexico is considered part of North America. My plans are no plans at all. I land in Mazatlan then I will take it from there.

When I decide to come back should I :

1. Buy my airplane ticket online from the airline website (USA Version)?

2. Go directly to the airport in Mexico and buy from the ticketing desk?

I was going to buy an inter-country ticket in Mexico a few years ago. The agent at the airport told me NOT to do it online. Better to purchase from the airline ticketing desk at the airport. He mentioned that I might have trouble.

I'd like to buy online for various reasons. Does anybody have a GENERAL experience with this? Is it always better to purchase in person? It seems like prices are better online.

I've never done this before.

Thank you for your help.

Artisttyp

Shadowsme8
03-31-12, 18:30
I could not find a thread relating to this topic on ISG. Hopefully someone can give me insight here on AP.

I am going to Mexico on a one way ticket. This is allowed since technically Mexico is considered part of North America. My plans are no plans at all. I land in Mazatlan then I will take it from there.

When I decide to come back should I :

1. Buy my airplane ticket online from the airline website (USA Version)?

2. Go directly to the airport in Mexico and buy from the ticketing desk?

I was going to buy an inter-country ticket in Mexico a few years ago. The agent at the airport told me NOT to do it online. Better to purchase from the airline ticketing desk at the airport. He mentioned that I might have trouble.

I'd like to buy online for various reasons. Does anybody have a GENERAL experience with this? Is it always better to purchase in person? It seems like prices are better online.

I've never done this before.

Thank you for your help.

ArtisttypI too, was trying to fly from Colombia to Argentina, and tried to book with "AVIANCA"

From the USA, thier website wouldn't allow me to, so I did a goggle search of websites that would allow my purchase and came up with 'CHEAPTICKETS. COM"

They allowed the transaction and when I looked up the routing code on Avianca, I found my flight information was also confirmed with them.

Now I haven't flown yet, that's not until June, but I get to Medellin in May and while in the airport in Bogota, I'll go to the desk and re-confirm with them.

So it can be done online thru another site (I hope) , to reach your foreign destination, just one way of I am sure many more on here will tell you.

Hope this helps

Shadowsme8

Gandolf50
03-31-12, 20:40
Most countries no longer allow "tourists" to enter the country with a one way ticket. They very often make the carrier that brought them take them back to where they came from. As a result you might have a ticket but not be allowed to board. This just happened to a friend of mine using copa air. Her returned to the states but when he tried to return to the "land of Christina" he was denied at the check in counter even though he had a valid ticket. He needed to buy a one way return ticket to be allowed to proceed.

Artisttyp
03-31-12, 21:24
Most countries no longer allow "tourists" to enter the country with a one way ticket. They very often make the carrier that brought them take them back to where they came from. As a result you might have a ticket but not be allowed to board. This just happened to a friend of mine using copa air. Her returned to the states but when he tried to return to the "land of Christina" he was denied at the check in counter even though he had a valid ticket. He needed to buy a one way return ticket to be allowed to proceed.Agreed for the most part. Mexico is different though. Many people "walk" across to mexico daily. The only requirement is that they have to buy a visa $22 if they stay for longer than 72 hrs or go x amount of miles south of the border. I've discussed this with both mexican and american owned airlines.

It is true that if you tried this in South America it wouldn't work.

My question is what is the best way to purchase a return ticket once I am there?

SunSeeker
03-31-12, 22:35
Agreed for the most part. Mexico is different though. Many people "walk" across to mexico daily. The only requirement is that they have to buy a visa $22 if they stay for longer than 72 hrs or go x amount of miles south of the border. I've discussed this with both mexican and american owned airlines.

It is true that if you tried this in South America it wouldn't work.

My question is what is the best way to purchase a return ticket once I am there?Depending where I am going I either book through the airline or through Expedia. I managed to enter Brazil on a 1-way ticket and now my trips originate and end in Rio. That may change soon though if I make the move to BA.

Artisttyp
04-01-12, 00:20
Depending where I am going I either book through the airline or through Expedia. I managed to enter Brazil on a 1-way ticket and now my trips originate and end in Rio. That may change soon though if I make the move to BA.The "airline" online USA version? You have never had trouble with local airports accepting the reservation? Have you ever had trouble paying for the ticket with your US credit card while overseas?

Thanks.

* Tonight I re- confirmed my 1 way ticket on US Airways. Some airlines "might" have issues with it. The ones I have talked to do not in regards to * Mexico.

SunSeeker
04-01-12, 01:35
The "airline" online USA version? You have never had trouble with local airports accepting the reservation? Have you ever had trouble paying for the ticket with your US credit card while overseas?

Thanks.

* Tonight I re- confirmed my 1 way ticket on US Airways. Some airlines "might" have issues with it. The ones I have talked to do not in regards to * Mexico.My original 1-way into Brazil was from europe back in 2004 (Air France due to airmiles). My last 1-way back to Rio was Nov 2011 from Dubai, British Airways, bought by the company I had worked for.

I am currently on a trip from Rio-Buenos Aires-Sao Paulo-Canada-Rio (Aerolineas Argentina, United and Continental) bought on Expedia. Com and have bought several other tickets originating and ending in Rio. I've never been asked about my tickets at airports other than being asked how long I was staying in the country when I was at Immigration. However I have been asked to show my Visa to enter Brazil when checking in for flights.

LukeSkywalker
09-30-12, 17:28
Start looking into airfares. Have never seen fares this low.

Aeromexico probably Flies even cheaper from Tijuana to Mexico City then onto to EZE. You can get a few pops in with the sexy chicas while waiting for boarding in Tijuana. . Hope Aeromexico puts real jet fuel into their planes hehehe.

RT LAX to EZE Buenos Aires.* Total price for this trip: $490. 19.

Traveling to Buenos Aires.

Fri 19-Oct-12 Los Angeles (LAX) Depart 11:25 pm To Mexico City (MEX) Arrive 5:00 am +1 day. 1, 552 mi. Duration: 3hr 35mn Flight: 469.Economy / Coach Class, Refreshments, Boeing 737-800.

Sat 20-Oct-12 Mexico City (MEX) Depart 9:30 am To Buenos Aires (EZE) Arrive 9:00 pm 4, 594 mi. Duration: 9hr 30mn Flight: 30. Economy / Coach Class, Hot Meal, Boeing 767.

Total distance: 6, 146 mi Total duration: 13hr 5mn (17hr 35mn with connections)

Traveling to Los Angeles.

Sun 28-Oct-12 Buenos Aires (EZE) Depart 11:55 am To Mexico City (MEX) Arrive 7:10 pm Terminal 2 4, 594 mi. Duration: 10hr 15mn Flight: 31.Economy / Coach Class, Hot Meal, Boeing 767.

Mon 29-Oct-12 Mexico City (MEX) Depart 6:15 am To Los Angeles (LAX) Arrive 9:20 am 1, 552 mi. Duration: 4hr 5mn Flight: 646. Economy / Coach Class, Breakfast, Boeing 737-800.

Total distance: 6, 146 mi Total duration: 14hr 20mn (25hr 25mn with connections)

LukeSkywalker
09-30-12, 18:42
AeroMexico is selling seats from LAX to EZE connecting in Mexico City for US$490 , but same date it wants US$1500 for Tijuana TIJ to EZE?

AeroMexico is out to rape and rip off the sexy and hard-working chicas in TJ to line the pockets of fat gringos flying out of LAX. There must be some big time conspiracies and corruptions in this deal.

Or is it because there are many more airlines flying out of LAX connecting to EZE?

Viva las panochas Latinas yy la competicion!

Gandolf50
09-30-12, 19:06
AeroMexico is selling seats from LAX to EZE connecting in Mexico City for US$410, but same date it wants US$1500 for Tijuana TIJ to EZE?

AeroMexico is out to rape and tip off the sexy and hard-workgng chicas in Tijuana to line the pocket of fat gringos flying out of LAX. There must be some big time conspiracies and corruptions in this deal.

Or is it because there are many more airlines flying out of LAX connecting to EZE?

Viva las panochas Latinas yy la competicion!I would guess its because there is more competition leaving from LAX. When I still lived in vegas the cheapest route was through LAX. I used to get good rates on Taca, as low as $450 RT. But no direct flights. They used to stop in San Jose on the way down and I sometimes was able to pull a overnighter there for free. I doubt they will let you do that now the way they want to charge extra for everything.

Silver Star
10-01-12, 09:07
I would guess its because there is more competition leaving from LAX. When I still lived in vegas the cheapest route was through LAX. I used to get good rates on Taca, as low as $450 RT. But no direct flights. They used to stop in San Jose on the way down and I sometimes was able to pull a overnighter there for free. I doubt they will let you do that now the way they want to charge extra for everything.Wow, that's an awesome fare! For those of you coming on on Aero Mexico, please PM me in advance, we can possibly give you a special rate EZE to City rate for a private, premium transfer. Since Aero Mexico comes in at 9PM, we are often at EZE anyway, doing a dropoff in the evening, so this will complete a trip for us in many cases. We can have a chauffeur waiting for you holding a sign, and you will be on your way, hassle free in a premium car. 100% safe and secure.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Private Premium Chauffeured Cars in English

Artisttyp
11-24-12, 21:46
Have any of you guys flown with Copa Airlines within SA and what was your experience with luggage restrictions and overall service? I see that they count a jacket as one carry on personal item. That is new to me.

I'd like to purchases a multi city itinerary with them but since I haven't used them before I am hesitant to do so.

Thanks for the info.

Member #3320
11-24-12, 22:24
Have any of you guys flown with Copa Airlines within SA and what was your experience with luggage restrictions and overall service? I see that they count a jacket as one carry on personal item. That is new to me.

I'd like to purchases a multi city itinerary with them but since I haven't used them before I am hesitant to do so.

Thanks for the info.If you are traveling to multiple destinations in South America, I suggest your first stop should be anywhere in Brazil. I found that flights between Brazil and USA have a much relaxed luggage allowance than anywhere else in South America. Why? I have no idea.

Also, Air Mexico, has some very good air fares between EZE and USA. Look it up.

No personal experience with Copa. But have heard good things about it.

SunSeeker
11-24-12, 23:38

Thanks for the info.I flew copa from Rio to Panama to Cartagena and return in feb. No probs with a laptop bag, roller carryon, and a checked bag.

Member #3320
11-25-12, 00:11
I flew copa from Rio to Panama to Cartagena and return in feb. No probs with a laptop bag, roller carryon, and a checked bag.That was a long detour. No direct flights between Rio and Bogota?

Silver Star
11-25-12, 01:00
If you are traveling to multiple destinations in South America, I suggest your first stop should be anywhere in Brazil. I found that flights between Brazil and USA have a much relaxed luggage allowance than anywhere else in South America. Why? I have no idea.

No personal experience with Copa. But have heard good things about it.Possibly becuase Brazilians go to USA for major shopping trips?

Tres3
11-25-12, 02:26
If you are traveling to multiple destinations in South America, I suggest your first stop should be anywhere in Brazil. I found that flights between Brazil and USA have a much relaxed luggage allowance than anywhere else in South America. Why? I have no idea.

No personal experience with Copa. But have heard good things about it.I have flown COPA several times from Miami, because of their schedule, which leaves BA in the morning and arrives Miami in the early evening. I have to change planes in Panama, but I would have to change in some USA hub city because my frequent flyer miles are not on an airline that flies direct from Miami. From Miami you are always flying the shortest route to / from BA, so you spend less time in the aluminum tube. The new International terminal in Miami is a big improvement, and you spend less time in customs with a smaller aircraft, and few USA citizens. COPA has always been on time, never lost my luggage, and never hassled me about a jacket / coat and a laptop bag carry-on. They fly a 737 rather than a double aisle airplane, but they have more legroom than the domestic version of the 737. COPA codeshares with UNITED and may codeshare with other airlines. COPA also flies from Houston, Orlando, and New York, and may fly from other cities as well.

Tres3

SunSeeker
11-25-12, 10:26
That was a long detour. No direct flights between Rio and Bogota?There was but cost about 300 USD more and got into Cartagena hours later.

SunSeeker
11-26-12, 00:41
Question. Can a gringo go to the local Aerolineas Argentina office and pay for airfare in pesos?

Toymann
11-26-12, 00:52
Question. Can a gringo go to the local Aerolineas Argentina office and pay for airfare in pesos?My information is at least 3 to 4 years old but most likely is still accurate. The Argentina airline is a total screw job related to foreigners dude. In the past if the fair was 500 pesos to an argentine citizen, it was sold to a foreigner for 500 usd. Yes, I am not kidding. When you present your documents and they see that you are NOT an argentine the price immediately converts from pesos to dollars straight up! I used to fly to corrienties and terra del feugo for fishing and discovered this program by total accident. I have never flown since and that's why I started taking the bus. I have no experience with international travel just domestic. Hope someone can confirm this, as my information is accurate but old. Hope this helps. Monger on SS. Toymann

Silver Star
11-26-12, 01:29
My information is at least 3 to 4 years old but most likely is still accurate. The Argentina airline is a total screw job related to foreigners dude. In the past if the fair was 500 pesos to an argentine citizen, it was sold to a foreigner for 500 usd. Yes, I am not kidding. When you present your documents and they see that you are NOT an argentine the price immediately converts from pesos to dollars straight up! I used to fly to corrienties and terra del feugo for fishing and discovered this program by total accident. I have never flown since and that's why I started taking the bus. I have no experience with international travel just domestic. Hope someone can confirm this, as my information is accurate but old. Hope this helps. Monger on SS. ToymannAbove does apply for the Miami to EZE flight on Aerolineas Argentinas, domestic will have a dual fare system, international no.

Silver Star
11-26-12, 01:45
Above does apply for the Miami to EZE flight on Aerolineas Argentinas, domestic will have a dual fare system, international no.The fares on Aerolineas Argentinas keep going up thru the roof, it makes even more sense now for executive, VIP and other premium travelers to hire a private executive or VIP car with chauffeur to go directly from EZE to Rosario, Mar del Plata, and cities with similar distances. Saves an airport transfer, possible delay at AEP, no risk of missed connection, and direct, door to door service. Private cars will get you there much faster than a bus, which is speed limited to only about 55MPH. We have been getting a lot of Rosario direct runs from EZE lately. Hassle free, with a private car service, your chauffeur will be waiting for you as you arrive, and you are on your way. Especially makes sense for groups of 3-4 private cars generally price per carload, not per person. For those that are looking for a premium, safe and secure executive and VIP car service here in BsAs, one company is SilverStar Transfers and Tours

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Serving the needs of Premium Travelers in Buenos Aires since 2009

Toymann
11-26-12, 02:13
The fares on Aerolineas Argentinas keep going up thru the roof, it makes even more sense now for executive, VIP and other premium travelers to hire a private executive or VIP car with chauffeur to go directly from EZE to Rosario, Mar del Plata, and cities with similar distances. Saves an airport transfer, possible delay at AEP, no risk of missed connection, and direct, door to door service. Private cars will get you there much faster than a bus, which is speed limited to only about 55MPH. We have been getting a lot of Rosario direct runs from EZE lately. Hassle free, with a private car service, your chauffeur will be waiting for you as you arrive, and you are on your way. Especially makes sense for groups of 3-4 private cars generally price per carload, not per person. For those that are looking for a premium, safe and secure executive and VIP car service here in BsAs, one company is SilverStar Transfers and Tours

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Serving the needs of Premium Travelers in Buenos Aires since 2009The toda la camA (executive) argentine bus service is tough to beat. Way more comfortable than that lousy town car, movies, meals, wine, champagne, gringo bingo, hot stewardess, etc. Most buses are overnight thus who cares if it takes an extra hour or so. Plus, what's your price to Rosario? Corrienties is twice as far and is currently around 600 pesos one way. I am guessing that one way Rosario is around 300 pesos. Your thoughts my expensive gringo pricing friend. Monger on Fred. Toymann

Aqualung
11-26-12, 02:53
My information is at least 3 to 4 years old but most likely is still accurate. The Argentina airline is a total screw job related to foreigners dude. In the past if the fair was 500 pesos to an argentine citizen, it was sold to a foreigner for 500 usd. Yes, I am not kidding. When you present your documents and they see that you are NOT an argentine the price immediately converts from pesos to dollars straight up! I used to fly to corrienties and terra del feugo for fishing and discovered this program by total accident. I have never flown since and that's why I started taking the bus. I have no experience with international travel just domestic. Hope someone can confirm this, as my information is accurate but old. Hope this helps. Monger on SS. ToymannIt's not exactly Pesos to Dollars but yo are right in that there is a huge difference. Foreigners pay the price at the top of the scale while Argentines can get any offer that is on the go.

If you fly international on Aerolineas you can get the same prices as Argies get. I suggest people that need to fly a lot inside Argentina to fly internationally into Montevideo and then get Aerolineas (international) to Argentina. Then you get your internal flights at local rates.

Member #3320
11-26-12, 03:17
Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Serving the needs of Premium Travelers in Buenos Aires since 2009Fred,

How much do you charge for a 1 way ride from Palermo to a Roasario hotel?

Aqualung
11-26-12, 03:19
The toda la camA (executive) argentine bus service is tough to beat. Way more comfortable than that lousy town car, movies, meals, wine, champagne, gringo bingo, hot stewardess, etc. Most buses are overnight thus who cares if it takes an extra hour or so. Plus, what's your price to Rosario? Corrienties is twice as far and is currently around 600 pesos one way. I am guessing that one way Rosario is around 300 pesos. Your thoughts my expensive gringo pricing friend. Monger on Fred. ToymannAbsolutely no way a private car is going to beat the coche cama ejecutiva except maybe in time (and not much there either). The biggest advantage with a car is that you are not restricted to the bus schedules and can make the journey when you want or need to and, of course, pay a small fortune for that advantage.

Even then a van is better and safer. A Mercedes Sprinter can be hired cheaper than multiple cars and can carry up to 8 or 12 passengers depending on the luggage. You from experience know of the dangers with unmarked roadworks on Argentine roads. A high riding van can overcome many obstacles that can destroy a car.

And when you are facing an oncoming 18 wheeler in the wrong lane I'the rather be in a Ejecutivo Bus or at least a big van than in a Crown Vic and I don't even want to start on how a VIP car stands out like a sore thumb on dark roads in the middle of nowhere when the lads are roaming the highways looking for a target to hijack. So security and safety are also questionable selling points.

Toymann
11-26-12, 03:37
You from experience know of the dangers with unmarked roadworks on Argentine roads. A high riding van can overcome many obstacles that can destroy a car.I should have taken your advice years ago about the bus. As most North Americans I was thinking Greyhound NOT the argentine bus experience. Even after my first excitement renting a car, I in fact continued to rent cars for at least 3 years more when I travelled north to fish. It was only after making many friends in corrienties that THEY convinced me to try the bus. Never looked back since! In spite of the fact that the bus fares have gone through the roof the past two years I now travel like an argentine. Your point about traveling by bus is spot on! If I hadn't been so hard headed I would have gotten with the program much earlier. Never to old to teach this dog some new tricks. Hope your health is hanging in there dude! Monger on aqualung. Toymann.

Ps. Assuming the good die young, you and I just might live forever. LMAO. Toymann

Gandolf50
11-26-12, 07:09
There is limited train service to Rosario. One a day or some days twice a day from Retiro. First class and up is OK. Sleeper cars too. On board dining etc. Very reasonable prices. I did Cordoba last year for 150 pesos round trip. A few hours more then a bus (4 hours longer to Cordoba if I recall) but then the bus schedules are always optimistic anyway.

SunSeeker
11-26-12, 07:26
Thanks to all for the info. I would be looking at International flights only. I've flown with Aerolineas to Colombia and a few times to Brazil (always booked online with expedia etc) and if I can pay in pesos the flights are cheap like borscht.

DavieW
11-26-12, 11:18
It's not exactly Pesos to Dollars but yo are right in that there is a huge difference. Foreigners pay the price at the top of the scale while Argentines can get any offer that is on the go.Not exactly accurate. It's not FOREIGNERS who get ripped, but NON-RESIDENTS.

As a resident I pay the same as the Argentines. And it's generally cheaper to fly than take the bus. Eg. I'm off to Iguazu in a couple of weeks, AR$1050 return with LAN. It's currently AR$1650 return on the bus (for the lay-flat bed option).

DavieW
11-26-12, 11:22
It's currently AR$1650 return on the bus (for the lay-flat bed option).Jeebus! I just realized the enormity of that bus fare. I remember 5 years ago getting outraged when the fare from Iguazu to BsAs first went over AR$100!

At the time it was about AR$600 to fly (I wasn't a resident then).

Silver Star
11-26-12, 22:56
The toda la camA (executive) argentine bus service is tough to beat. Way more comfortable than that lousy town car, movies, meals, wine, champagne, gringo bingo, hot stewardess, etc. Most buses are overnight thus who cares if it takes an extra hour or so. Plus, what's your price to Rosario? Corrienties is twice as far and is currently around 600 pesos one way. I am guessing that one way Rosario is around 300 pesos. Your thoughts my expensive gringo pricing friend. Monger on Fred. ToymannIf you are EZE you will have to transfer to the shady Retiro bus station in the city, then wait for the bus to head out, then bus is speed limited to 90km, with possible stops on the way. With a private car service like ours, you are on the way, and there usually in much less than 4 hours. Time is money. For a fare quote, please contact me directly. We can go 130km, almost 50% faster.

Silver Star
11-26-12, 22:57
Fred,

How much do you charge for a 1 way ride from Palermo to a Roasario hotel?Please contact me directly for a fare quote.

Silver Star
11-26-12, 23:00
Absolutely no way a private car is going to beat the coche cama ejecutiva except maybe in time (and not much there either). The biggest advantage with a car is that you are not restricted to the bus schedules and can make the journey when you want or need to and, of course, pay a small fortune for that advantage.

Even then a van is better and safer. A Mercedes Sprinter can be hired cheaper than multiple cars and can carry up to 8 or 12 passengers depending on the luggage. You from experience know of the dangers with unmarked roadworks on Argentine roads. A high riding van can overcome many obstacles that can destroy a car.

And when you are facing an oncoming 18 wheeler in the wrong lane I'the rather be in a Ejecutivo Bus or at least a big van than in a Crown Vic and I don't even want to start on how a VIP car stands out like a sore thumb on dark roads in the middle of nowhere when the lads are roaming the highways looking for a target to hijack. So security and safety are also questionable selling points.Never have had any security issues in 4 years. The route to Rosario is all highway, no vans will be coming the other way, and Mercedes Sprinter Vans are limted to 90KM / hr. Town Car can legally do 130km, making us an excellent choice for the executive traveller. (Time is money)

Gandolf50
11-27-12, 06:21
I was at the airport last night and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the followiing:

A lack of people flying (the airport was almost empty)

Increased police presence (or maybe I did not notice so many before because there was more people)

More police in flak vests!

Silver Star
11-27-12, 16:04
I was at the airport last night and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the followiing:

A lack of people flying (the airport was almost empty)

Increased police presence (or maybe I did not notice so many before because there was more people)

More police in flak vests!I am a professional chauffeur here, so I'm at EZE all the time. Without a doubt there is less foot traffic, and more dollar and euro sniffing dogs.

Member #4112
11-27-12, 20:12
I noticed the same thing when I left in early November. Not nearly the crowd I am use to seeing checking in and going through customs. Now there were lots of folks lined up at American and United but not much anywhere else.

Fred, since when did they waste the time training dogs to sniff currency? Is that even possible? Drugs and explosives have unique scents but money is handled by many people and placed in many places on the body, remember that twenty you gave to the topless dancer? So what's up with this comment?

Gandolf50
11-27-12, 21:57
I think the money sniffing dogs is all B. S. Some one said they can smell the ink. But for how long? Plus as Mr Doppleganger pointed out, with so many people handling the bills? I think they are there so they can get a reaction out of people. They look for people who are scared of the dogs. I was also surprised at the amount of police wearing vests. Not normal here.

SnakeOilSales
11-27-12, 22:02
The money-sniffing dogs are not the concern; the PSA (Policia Seguridad Aeroportario) and the Prefecto Naval have been using money-sensing handheld scanners at both the AEP, EZE and Buquebus terminals.

Gandolf50
11-27-12, 23:58
The money-sniffing dogs are not the concern; the PSA (Policia Seguridad Aeroportario) and the Prefecto Naval have been using money-sensing handheld scanners at both the AEP, EZE and Buquebus terminals.Again, how would something like that work? In the US they put metal strips in the dollars for a while so that they could detect large wads, but something went wrong and they canned that. I really doubt they have anything here that senses money. (or anywhere for that matter) I just think they watch peoples faces when the dogs or "detectors" are close by. Scared or nervouse people are pulled aside for a search.

Toymann
11-28-12, 00:04
The money-sniffing dogs are not the concern; the PSA (Policia Seguridad Aeroportario) and the Prefecto Naval have been using money-sensing handheld scanners at both the AEP, EZE and Buquebus terminals.I know I am just one traveler but I always come through EZE with damn close but just under 10k. My corrienties buddies told me long ago that the dog sniffing plata story was just that, a story! Just curious in your speculation. Monger on dude. Toymann

Silver Star
11-28-12, 00:21
I noticed the same thing when I left in early November. Not nearly the crowd I am use to seeing checking in and going through customs. Now there were lots of folks lined up at American and United but not much anywhere else.

Fred, since when did they waste the time training dogs to sniff currency? Is that even possible? Drugs and explosives have unique scents but money is handled by many people and placed in many places on the body, remember that twenty you gave to the topless dancer? So what's up with this comment?They absolutely have trained dogs to smell USD and Euro, and there have been busts, Argentines are taking money out of the country in droves, there have been articles about this in the papers, etc. See them all the time at EZE.

TejanoLibre
11-28-12, 00:21
Again, how would something like that work? In the US they put metal strips in the dollars for a while so that they could detect large wads, but something went wrong and they canned that. I really doubt they have anything here that senses money. (or anywhere for that matter) I just think they watch peoples faces when the dogs or "detectors" are close by. Scared or nervouse people are pulled aside for a search.If a dog can be trained to sniff out blow, grass, meth, etc, it can surely be trained to sniff out nasty fucking bills! The vast majority of you$the having traces of blow on them. Dog stuck his nose in my crotch and got frisky, I just said that I had just left the gym and did not shower.

Take. 5mg of Valium before you go through customs and you will be in like Flint! Nobody will notice because you will be super mellow.

TL

Silver Star
11-28-12, 00:22

Fred, since when did they waste the time training dogs to sniff currency? Is that even possible? Drugs and explosives have unique scents but money is handled by many people and placed in many places on the body, remember that twenty you gave to the topless dancer? So what's up with this comment?Started abut 6 months ago, when they teally ramped up the currency controls.

SnakeOilSales
11-28-12, 00:24
I know I am just one traveler but I always come through EZE with damn close but just under 10k. My corrienties buddies told me long ago that the dog sniffing plata story was just that, a story! Just curious in your speculation. Monger on dude. ToymannWell, first of all, the issue is NOT entering Argentina. The Argentine government is not in the least bit concerned about anybody bringing in excess currency and make no effort to control the ENTRANCE of currency. Their concern is CAPITAL FLIGHT, so they have implemented all sorts of measures to stop the EXIT of currency. As for the dogs, they are used primarily to sniff cars / luggage at border checkpoints such as Buquebus terminal and the international bridges that go over the Rio Uruguay. Argentines have been seen this economic song and dance before and have been doing everything possible to get their money out of this country before the "music stops" so to speak. As for the handheld scanner at the Buquebus terminal, my personal experience is that I walked through the metal detector without setting off any bells and whistles; the Prefectura Naval officers then used a handheld scanner on me and the minute they passed over the wad of $9950 USD I had in the inside jacket pocket the handheld scanner went off and the officer asked me if I had cash on me. I said I did, they brought me aside to talk to a superior officer, and I took out the money, told him how much it was, and he advised me not to lie to him as he was going to make me take all my clothes off and do a thorough search. I told him I know the law and that I was under the limit and he said ok and I was on my way.

Toymann
11-28-12, 00:28
Well, first of all, the issue is NOT entering Argentina. The Argentine government is not in the least bit concerned about anybody bringing in excess currency and make no effort to control the ENTRANCE of currency. Their concern is CAPITAL FLIGHT, so they have implemented all sorts of measures to stop the EXIT of currency. As for the dogs, they are used primarily to sniff cars / luggage at border checkpoints such as Buquebus terminal and the international bridges that go over the Rio Uruguay. Argentines have been seen this economic song and dance before and have been doing everything possible to get their money out of this country before the "music stops" so to speak. As for the handheld scanner at the Buquebus terminal, my personal experience is that I walked through the metal detector without setting off any bells and whistles; the Prefectura Naval officers then used a handheld scanner on me and the minute they passed over the wad of $9950 USD I had in the inside jacket pocket the handheld scanner went off and the officer asked me if I had cash on me. I said I did, they brought me aside to talk to a superior officer, and I took out the money, told him how much it was, and he advised me not to lie to him as he was going to make me take all my clothes off and do a thorough search. I told him I know the law and that I was under the limit and he said ok and I was on my way.Excellent post. If I ever get pulled I will use the same response. Monger on dude. Toymann

P. your post makes total sense!

Aqualung
11-28-12, 00:50
You'd be surprised how efficient those dogs are. I saw the first ones being trained at the Federal Police dog school some time back. Originally they were to be used in investigating money laundering operations. Of course, they aren't going to smell out a dollar bill hidden in your shoe but bigger stashes have quite a distinct smell. One of the reasons, as I mentioned before, cuevas try only to buy US$ 100 bills. A million dollars in twenties is five times the size of a million in hundreds.

Mpexy
11-28-12, 20:44
Well, first of all, the issue is NOT entering Argentina. The Argentine government is not in the least bit concerned about anybody bringing in excess currency and make no effort to control the ENTRANCE of currency. Their concern is CAPITAL FLIGHT, so they have implemented all sorts of measures to stop the EXIT of currency. As for the dogs, they are used primarily to sniff cars / luggage at border checkpoints such as Buquebus terminal and the international bridges that go over the Rio Uruguay. Argentines have been seen this economic song and dance before and have been doing everything possible to get their money out of this country before the "music stops" so to speak. As for the handheld scanner at the Buquebus terminal, my personal experience is that I walked through the metal detector without setting off any bells and whistles; the Prefectura Naval officers then used a handheld scanner on me and the minute they passed over the wad of $9950 USD I had in the inside jacket pocket the handheld scanner went off and the officer asked me if I had cash on me. I said I did, they brought me aside to talk to a superior officer, and I took out the money, told him how much it was, and he advised me not to lie to him as he was going to make me take all my clothes off and do a thorough search. I told him I know the law and that I was under the limit and he said ok and I was on my way.Entering Argentina. For what it's worth, I entered via EZE last aug with considerably more than 10k in cash. No one searched or asked me anything until I asked to declare the money via customs. Had done same on USA side for exiting with 10k+ and no issue. At EZE they were astounded I was declaring and took awhile to find and dig out the customs guy. They didn't count but asked me why I was bringing in more than 10k and told them because as they know all gringo rent is in cash and dollars and would be in arg for at least 6 months. The rest was for chicas and boliches.

After the form was registered, they hung out talking with me about what boliches I like best and what the top shelf chicas charge. Pretty damn friendly really.

At buquebus. Oddly enough not checked at all coming back with about 3k in USD cash but on puerto madero side entering the terminal I was scanned and guard opened my small belt pouch. Had about 1k USD as emergency cash in case got stuck in colonia with ATMs not working. Guard actually counted bills and asked me lot of hostile questions why I was taking 1k to uruguay. Told him the just in case I stay day or two and ATMs not working but was really hostile and kept insisting I provide better reason. Eventually let me pass but seems he was just looking for excuse to hassle me for taking any USD out

Aqualung
11-28-12, 20:55
Entering Argentina. For what it's worth, I entered via EZE last aug with considerably more than 10k in cash. No one searched or asked me anything until I asked to declare the money via customs. Had done same on USA side for exiting with 10k+ and no issue. At EZE they were astounded I was declaring and took awhile to find and dig out the customs guy. They didn't count but asked me why I was bringing in more than 10k and told them because as they know all gringo rent is in cash and dollars and would be in arg for at least 6 months. The rest was for chicas and boliches.

After the form was registered, they hung out talking with me about what boliches I like best and what the top shelf chicas charge. Pretty damn friendly really.

At buquebus. Oddly enough not checked at all coming back with about 3k in USD cash but on puerto madero side entering the terminal I was scanned and guard opened my small belt pouch. Had about 1k USD as emergency cash in case got stuck in colonia with ATMs not working. Guard actually counted bills and asked me lot of hostile questions why I was taking 1k to uruguay. Told him the just in case I stay day or two and ATMs not working but was really hostile and kept insisting I provide better reason. Eventually let me pass but seems he was just looking for excuse to hassle me for taking any USD outIn general the problem is with taking out US$ from the country. Bringing them in is no problem. On the contrary! They need as many $$$ as they can get their greedy hands on as they have almost run out. One of the reasons they don't have $$$ is because they unloaded tons of them on the market during years to keep the exchange rate down. Anyhow, that is for another thread.

Usually the guys at Ezeiza are quite decent as long as you come out straight with them but the fuckers at Buquebus (Prefectura Naval) are the biggest pain in the ass you can imagine. Power thirsty assholes!

Silver Star
12-05-12, 14:17
In the last 11 years I've brought enough electronics here to start a small store. I don't bring boxes, just the item, no matter what it is or how many I have I say they are for me. I have had my luggage opened a couple times (when you have a computer in one bag and the keyboard and monitor in another, it's going to show on the XRAY) but I mumbled the first couple line of God Bless America and just stumbled through.

One tip, if you get selected for screening look for the machine with the HOTTEST chick. Then choose the machine to either side of her. There is ZERO chance the chabone on your machine will be watching his screen and not the tits, ass, legs, face of the girl next door.Great post! By the way EZE seems totally DEAD, compared to LY. Could be a buyers market this season, TM, please take note

For negotiation purposes. Hardly anyone in arrivals hall during peak arrival time in AM. Last year I would be getting bumped into left into right it was so crowded, TY, it's wide open.

Santa
12-05-12, 21:39
Great post! By the way EZE seems totally DEAD, compared to LY. Could be a buyers market this season, TM, please take note

For negotiation purposes. Hardly anyone in arrivals hall during peak arrival time in AM. Last year I would be getting bumped into left into right it was so crowded, TY, it's wide open.Left yesterday, empty. Plane to MIA half empty.

Wild Walleye
03-08-13, 13:55
Left yesterday, empty. Plane to MIA half empty.I traveled to Bs As approximately 30 times, during 2007-2011. Not once. On any of those trips, did I ever encounter a flight in or out of EZE that wasn't full or nearly full. Almost every flight out of JFK to EZE was over-sold and typical coach fares rarely, if ever dipped below US $1,000 (breifly in 2007) and business class were US $3,500-7,000. Airfare was always the most expensive part of the trip.

I figured that the economy would eventually catch up to this phenomenon. At least some of those Argie travelers have to have their incomes and savings denominated in pesos. So a $1,000 round trip in 2007 now costs the equivalent of $2,600. $3,600 (depending upon whose inflation figures you believe). That has to had some sort of impact on demand. I am surprised that JFK. EZE prices haven't dropped precipitously. AA still runs US $1,300 for a 30-day advanced purchase coach round trip. Of course, this is the same company that kept a 767 on this route when they were turning passengers away in droves.

BorisB
03-09-13, 10:42
Flew out from EZE to MIA on AA 1.5 weeks ago, plane was half empty. Will find out in a few days what its like going back the other way.

Big Boss Man
03-09-13, 14:00
Last year I flew twice US to BA first class using 120,000 miles each time. Now they want 200,000 miles for a business class ticket and 250,000 miles for first class. Right now there is a deal where you can buy 90,000 miles for $1750 which is only really good at last year's mileage rates.

Toymann
03-09-13, 14:15
Last year I flew twice US to BA first class using 120,000 miles each time. Now they want 200,000 miles for a business class ticket and 250,000 miles for first class. Right now there is a deal where you can buy 90,000 miles for $1750 which is only really good at last year's mileage rates.You are correct BBM, but this only applies if you don't book within about 5 months I think. AA lets you book frequent flyer travel 331 days in advance. I have flown them for years. I have found that you can get 40,000 mile return flights in coach as long as you are booking around 290 to 331 days in advance. 100,000 mile return business class tickets are available easily from approximately 180 to 331 days in advance. You can also upgrade your coach ticket one way to first class with 25,000 miles and 350 buck, right up to departure time if they have an open business seat. Hope this helps. Monger on boys. Toymann.

Easy Go
03-09-13, 16:01
American hasn't changed their reward chart. The issue you are seeing is that there are two levels in the award chart for business / first with the MileSAAver award level still at 100/125 for a business / first round trip. AAnytime awards are not capacity controlled and have always been double number the number of miles. In general, I've found better much better business / first award availability on AA to BA than on United. 90 K for $1750 is an OK but not great deal and I wouldn't do it unless I had already confirmed award availability for the dates I wanted. If you just want to add miles to your account, you are better off working the credit card bonuses.

Last year I flew twice US to BA first class using 120,000 miles each time. Now they want 200,000 miles for a business class ticket and 250,000 miles for first class. Right now there is a deal where you can buy 90,000 miles for $1750 which is only really good at last year's mileage rates.

Damman
03-09-13, 17:54
Usually, AA is very cheap to SDQ, POP, MIA, ORD, MSP. Mostly, UAL and DAL are very high! You must search often. I always fly coach, unlike the big spenders.Damn Sidney, surprised you do not buy all your airline tickets in Buenos Aires. Exchange your dollars at the blue rate and pay for the ticket at the official rate: cash in pesos. Savings is substantial. Better get on this band wagon before it quits playing.

Big Boss Man
03-09-13, 20:13
American hasn't changed their reward chart. The issue you are seeing is that there are two levels in the award chart for business / first with the MileSAAver award level still at 100/125 for a business / first round trip. AAnytime awards are not capacity controlled and have always been double number the number of miles. In general, I've found better much better business / first award availability on AA to BA than on United. 90 K for $1750 is an OK but not great deal and I wouldn't do it unless I had already confirmed award availability for the dates I wanted. If you just want to add miles to your account, you are better off working the credit card bonuses.Except I was looking at November to use the miles this morning and the only thing they offered was anytime miles. Current fare is $3050 for business class and $4100 for first class. So 3050/200000 is only 1.5 cents a mile. Last year I got a 7000/125000 or 5.6 cents a mile seat. When I looked at it and the there is not one sold seat for the days I want to travel.

Also the 90,000 miles for $1700 offer is not available now but it will come up again.

Ever notice that some of the richest guys on the board are among the tightest. There must be a lesson in there somewhere that I failed to learn. LOL.

Rock Harders
03-18-13, 06:23
Mongers-.

Looks like this gravy train is coming to a screeching halt:

http://www.ambito.com/diario/noticia.asp?id=680092

El Perro
03-18-13, 06:29
Mongers-.

Looks like this gravy train is coming to a screeching halt:

http://www.ambito.com/diario/noticia.asp?id=680092Was only a matter of time.

Doesn't the Argentine government realize that Chavez is dead and left a big, fat, steaming turd in the middle of Venezuela?

Gandolf50
03-18-13, 06:42
Was only a matter of time.

Doesn't the Argentine government realize that Chavez is dead and left a big, fat, steaming turd in the middle of Venezuela?The funny part is they still don't realize that! It wouldn't surprise me if they (the politicos argentinos) are buying dollars at the official rate and selling them everyday at the blue rate and then blaming capital flight on every one else!

Rock Harders
03-18-13, 13:15
Mongers-.

An update; no sales to non residents, and 20% surcharge for residents plus mandatory providing of DNI / CUIL!

http://www.ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=680155

Chezz
03-18-13, 15:43
Harders,

Does this only apply to international travel? Based on what you've seen, can I (a current non-resident) still purchase a domestic airline ticket using pesos?

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Mongers-.

An update; no sales to non residents, and 20% surcharge for residents plus mandatory providing of DNI / CUIL!

Damman
03-18-13, 22:15
Was sure sweet for awhile. Sounds like you cannot even buy a BuqueBus ticket with pesos. Can only imagine what the unintended consequences are going to be.

Mongers-.

SunSeeker
03-18-13, 23:29
Was sure sweet for awhile. Sounds like you cannot even buy a BuqueBus ticket with pesos. Can only imagine what the unintended consequences are going to be.Looking at the buquebus website right now there are no prices listed for going anywhere, so much for going to Colonia and Punta del Este, guess I'll just have to go to elsewhere to get my 90 day stamp, Brasil maybe? (smile).

Punter 127
03-19-13, 00:15
UAL. Seated all the way in 1 F bulkhead. Very uncomfortable with no leg space! They flew almost to EWR before serving food and drink. Much delayed in EWR. Poor service. Bad food! Why would I ever fly Business Class again?I agree First Class is much better. LOL.

Toymann
03-19-13, 03:24
UAL. Seated all the way in 1 F bulkhead. Very uncomfortable with no leg space! They flew almost to EWR before serving food and drink. Much delayed in EWR. Poor service. Bad food! Why would I ever fly Business Class again?Back before I got my air miles up to my current level I used to do the 40 k miles to Argentina frequent flyer tickets all the time. Is still available today as long a you know when you are coming (250 plus days in advance). I have been coming for 6 to 10 weeks per year for over 8 years now. Aways come for 21 to 24 days at least twice a year plus every other yeAt I add another 2 to 3 week trip. Been flying business class for my last 4 trips (100 k miles). Service has always been greAt (in fact have been scoping out the stew " fernanda" for a couple of trips now! Jajaja). Would never consider any other way of flying to Argentina now. After a night in business class to Argentina I awake refreshed and ready to ring the bell with my midday fAvourita! Just ask anybody who is staying in the house. Doubt many get to their first Chica faster than ol'toymann. Always between noon and 1 pm after Arrival. LOL. That also goes for whatever wingman is joining me on the trip. LOL. Plenty of room in the ol'blackbook.

Nothing like flying business class overnight to South America. I would never pay the full boat ( way to expensive) but never hesitate to blow the miles. 100 k is way more than 40 k but well worth it from my perspective! I did, a couple of trips ago blow 25k miles and 350 bucks to upgrade my buenos aires leg to first class (I fly AA).

Perfect organization makes for perfect performance! Sorry to disagree buddy but its been awhile since you huffed it to Argentina. Enjoy the beAch Sid. Toymann.

Silver Star
03-19-13, 03:42
Back before I got my air miles up to my current level I used to do the 40 k miles to Argentina frequent flyer tickets all the time. Is still available today as long a you know when you are coming (250 plus days in advance). I have been coming for 6 to 10 weeks per year for over 8 years now. Aways come for 21 to 24 days at least twice a year plus every other yeAt I add another 2 to 3 week trip. Been flying business class for my last 4 trips (100 k miles). Service has always been greAt (in fact have been scoping out the stew " fernanda" for a couple of trips now! Jajaja). Would never consider any other way of flying to Argentina now. After a night in business class to Argentina I awake refreshed and ready to ring the bell with my midday fAvourita! Just ask anybody who is staying in the house. Doubt many get to their first Chica faster than ol'toymann. Always between noon and 1 pm after Arrival. LOL. That also goes for whatever wingman is joining me on the trip. LOL. Plenty of room in the ol'blackbook.

Nothing like flying business class overnight to South America. I would never pay the full boat ( way to expensive) but never hesitate to blow the miles. 100 k is way more than 40 k but well worth it from my perspective! I did, a couple of trips ago blow 25k miles and 350 bucks to upgrade my buenos aires leg to first class (I fly AA).

Perfect organization makes for perfect performance! Sorry to disagree buddy but its been awhile since you huffed it to Argentina. Enjoy the beAch Sid. Toymann.Those that hire me to do their airport transfers can have chica waiting for them at EZE. (I bring chica in with me from the city gratis with a paid airport transfer).

Toymann
03-19-13, 03:53
Those that hire me to do their airport transfers can have chica waiting for them at EZE. (I bring chica in with me from the city gratis with a paid airport transfer).Maybe on a one-off basis. Do you have a screen between the driver and the back seat Fred. Just curious for us shy fellas. Toymann.

Wild Walleye
03-19-13, 13:15
Back before I got my air miles up to my current level I used to do the 40 k miles to Argentina frequent flyer tickets all the time. Is still available today as long a you know when you are coming (250 plus days in advance). I have been coming for 6 to 10 weeks per year for over 8 years now. Aways come for 21 to 24 days at least twice a year plus every other yeAt I add another 2 to 3 week trip. Been flying business class for my last 4 trips (100 k miles). Service has always been greAt (in fact have been scoping out the stew " fernanda" for a couple of trips now! Jajaja). Would never consider any other way of flying to Argentina now. After a night in business class to Argentina I awake refreshed and ready to ring the bell with my midday fAvourita! Just ask anybody who is staying in the house. Doubt many get to their first Chica faster than ol'toymann. Always between noon and 1 pm after Arrival.Agreed on a night's rest in b-class versus in steerage. Since I usually return to Bs As from Sex Prison, that first nut is itching to get out. I'd land at (around) 10:00 AM, be one of the first out of the plane, down the stairs to immigration, out the swinging doors (skip the duty free), no luggage to pick up (I only carry-on, especially going to Argentina), walk by the snoozing customs agents, out the door to the remis kiosk on the left and into a car generally within 20 minutes of touching down. Another 30 minutes to Recoleta, get settled, showered and down the street to 1633 Junin for a nooner. I usually keep a couple hundred pesos with me when I leave so as to be prepared to get right at it, when I return. It's like knocking the foam of a choppe.

Nothing like flying business class overnight to South America. I would never pay the full boat ( way to expensive) but never hesitate to blow the miles.Agreed. I did JFK to EZE cattle-class a number of times ('07) to get up to exec platinum status. B-class (I rarely buy tickets more than a week or two in advance) usually runs $3,500. $7,500 and while I like to be comfortable, I can't justify the extra $2-6 K (even though I am traveling for business and am usually passing the cost on to a third party). My boney ass starts to get major fatigue after 8 hours in coach. My standing policy for clients and corporate travel is biz class for anything over 8 hours, however, the magnitude in the difference in the prices to Bs As were too big for me to ignore. My clients probably would have paid it if I pushed but, I didn't even ask.

I must have over 100 of the regular upgrades (utterly useless when you travel further than the Caribbean) and tons of miles (20 k for each RT to Bs As), plus two system-wide upgrades (each year that I am Platinum). I buy a coach ticket and upgrade to biz ($350 plus miles) and with my exec platinum status, I am almost always guaranteed to get it (if I can't, I go through Miami). AA usually has decent food and wine and finishes me off with a little ice cream and dulce de leche before I take my pre-coital snooze.

100 k is way more than 40 k but well worth it from my perspective! I did, a couple of trips ago blow 25k miles and 350 bucks to upgrade my buenos aires leg to first class (I fly AA).Agreed. I can't complain about being upfront for under $1,500. I did the upgrade to first on one Bs As trip and while comfortable, it wasn't the same step up in experience that one might find on other AA routes. Plus, all I really need is the more comfortable seat, everything else is superfluous.

SunSeeker
03-19-13, 13:32
Was sure sweet for awhile. Sounds like you cannot even buy a BuqueBus ticket with pesos. Can only imagine what the unintended consequences are going to be.No problems buying tickets in person at BuqueBus this morning, have your passport as they asked for it, and I paid in pesos, same price as when I looked online last week.

Big Boss Man
03-19-13, 22:33
I am beginning to wonder if the reason that I do not see the supersaver fares in business and first class is because I lost my Gold status. My last few trips have all been on mileage so I was inactive for 18 months. It frustrates me that Toyman is able to see the fare and I am not getting a response. The best I get is 200000 mile round trip business class.

Just tested my theory and it is wrong. I still can't get the supersaver to EZE but can get to Sao Paulo first class for 125000 miles round trip. I may have to call it fate and spend some time in Brazil. The dollar is a little stronger against the real since the last time I was there in June 2011.

I might like to try Asuncion but that one is not giving a good fare either.

Rock Harders
03-19-13, 22:44
Mongers-.

The key to getting the 50 k and 62.5 k (each way) milesAAver awards on AA to / from EZE is to book them either WAY out (330 days) or literally the day before or the day of the flight. I check the availability quite often and they are always available either the day before or the day of the trip. Understandably this will not work very well for people working normal 9-5 jobs as employees but if you are flexible it works out nice.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.

Toymann
03-20-13, 01:22
I am beginning to wonder if the reason that I do not see the supersaver fares in business and first class is because I lost my Gold status. My last few trips have all been on mileage so I was inactive for 18 months. It frustrates me that Toyman is able to see the fare and I am not getting a response. The best I get is 200000 mile round trip business class.

Just tested my theory and it is wrong. I still can't get the supersaver to EZE but can get to Sao Paulo first class for 125000 miles round trip. I may have to call it fate and spend some time in Brazil. The dollar is a little stronger against the real since the last time I was there in June 2011.

I might like to try Asuncion but that one is not giving a good fare either.I am million miler with AA (primarily due to credit card miles, not flying), and I am permanent gold status. Hope this helps. Toymnn.

Toymann
03-20-13, 01:29
Mongers-.

The key to getting the 50 k and 62.5 k (each way) milesAAver awards on AA to / from EZE is to book them either WAY out (330 days) or literally the day before or the day of the flight. I check the availability quite often and they are always available either the day before or the day of the trip. Understandably this will not work very well for people working normal 9-5 jobs as employees but if you are flexible it works out nice.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.Never tried the day or two before but routinely book 330 days out, or there abouts. Always get 50 k one way business class up to about 250 days out on AA. I often book my wingman on their miles about 250 to 300 days out. Never had a problem getting them business class return for 100 k miles. Hope this helps. Toymann.

Daddy Rulz
03-20-13, 01:32

I might like to try Asuncion but that one is not giving a good fare either.One of the guys at the dinner this past Friday said that AA had zeroed out all award travel to Argentina. Just passing on something that I've heard, I have no first hand information.

DR.

Rock Harders
03-20-13, 05:19
One of the guys at the dinner this past Friday said that AA had zeroed out all award travel to Argentina. Just passing on something that I've heard, I have no first hand information.

DR.DR-.

What the guy said at the dinner is simply not true; AAnytime awards are available on ALL flights down to the very last unsold seat (which for flights to / from EZE are 60 k, 100 k, and 125 k for why, J,F, one way). The sAAver awards to / from EZE are what are difficult to come by in advance; they are 20 k /30 k (high / low season), 50 k, and 62.5 k for why, J,F, each way. However, a day or two before, and absolutely day of the flight these lower award tiers are ALWAYS (unless the flight is sold out) available to / from EZE.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.

Wild Walleye
03-20-13, 13:08
Rock is right on.

The goal of the airlines is not to get you from one place to another, feed nor comfort you during your passage. Their objective is to separate you from your money. They've invested more in the science of how to do this than they have in the baggage carousels at EZE (oh, wait, those are the ones they ripped out of JFK in the 70's and bought on the cheap, slightly used...).

Your best defense against this is information. As Rock pointed out, last-minute deals are plentiful. An unsold airline seat is a perishable good and of zero value, once the aircraft leaves the gate. The marginal cost of servicing a body in that potentially empty seat is pretty low (provided the aircraft is not otherwise empty). Therefore, the airline will do most anything to turn it into value. This includes retiring some of the billions of frequent flier miles that are floating around out there. They also consider the possibility that you will want something that will require you to pay them real money (booze, change fees, etc). The key is you have to be at either end of the flexibility spectrum: really flexible (last minute) or rigid (plan 11 months in advance and not need to change it).

Destination EZE is (IMO) a very good use of miles because the fares are consistently quite high, when compared to other international destinations. 40-120 k miles for a round trip to London (worth $300-600) is no where near as good a deal as 40-120 k miles round trip to EZE (lowest coach fare I have seen in years was $1100).

Daddy Rulz
03-20-13, 13:25
DR-.

What the guy said at the dinner is simply not true; AAnytime awards are available on ALL flights down to the very last unsold seat (which for flights to / from EZE are 60 k, 100 k, and 125 k for why, J,F, one way). The sAAver awards to / from EZE are what are difficult to come by in advance; they are 20 k /30 k (high / low season), 50 k, and 62.5 k for why, J,F, each way. However, a day or two before, and absolutely day of the flight these lower award tiers are ALWAYS (unless the flight is sold out) available to / from EZE.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.I'm pretty good with UAL stuff and still know a lot of people there, but AA is a mystery to me. Thanks for the clarification.

Easy Go
03-20-13, 13:58
I suspect he is referring to me and what I said was that AA had zeroed out all AASaver awards in business and first for October through the end of the schedule (330 days out). I found a single AASaver award for EZE- MIA in first but nothing else. This was a major change from the past where I've always found a decent number of awards 9-12 months in advance. I didn't check DFW or JFK because availability has always been much worse for those cities. I speculated that maybe it was related to cleaning up the balance sheet during bankrupty, a policy change in award availability, or perhaps even a system glitch but didn't really know.

I'd also looked at close-in availability and it looked terrible as well but, since I like to plan my trips way in advance, close-in availability doesn't matter much to me.

I looked at UA at the same time and 9-12 month availability looked a bit lower than normal but there were some seats available.

I paid no attention to coach availability as I don't use award miles for coach as its a poor value relative to business / first in my opinion. I also don't care about AAAnytime awards as they are a poor value as well. Other people may think otherwise.

As pointed out, award availability can change in an instant so you have to check frequently and never assume that you can or can it get a seat without checking.

Wild Walleye
03-20-13, 14:10
October. December (high season for touristas) has always been a bit of a challenge for me to Bs As (particularly, before I got comfortable renting an apartment instead of a hotel). Several years ago, I had to be in Bs As for business in the Spring (I think that there was also some huge Catholic gathering of some sort in Bs As) and arrived at EZE with no hotel reservation (could not find a single room online). I managed to book one that morning through hotelsdotcom via my phone as I rode in the remis, destination unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if the airlines were blacking out some of the possible FF seats in lieu of paying travelers during the period when they expect the most traffic.

Chezz
03-27-13, 21:14
Ever since the blue market for dollars became popular, I got into the habit of paying for my domestic airline tickets with pesos to take advantage of the discount. However, what I've been reading about the effects of la Resolución General 3450 and how the 20% surcharge would be applied made me a little concerned. My local Argie friends tell me that it has no effect on domestic travel, even for those without a DNI / CUIL.

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure. Try to buy a ticket at the advertised price and pay for it in pesos.

Today I walked into my local LAN office and purchased a one-way ticket from my (un-named Argentine City) to Buenos Aires. Before going to the office, I logged into the LAN domestic site from home and checked the price. When I got to the LAN office this afternoon, I used their computer terminal to check the price again in pesos. Basically they were the same as the one advertised on the poster hung on the front of the building, "Fly to Buenos Aires desde $xxxx". I could have purchased my ticket at that computer terminal if I had wanted to use my credit card, as I've done so in the past. Not today. Instead I sat down and a nice young lady sold me a ticket en efectivo. She did not add a 20% surcharge, and there didn't seem to be a surcharge already built into the price of the ticket. I paid in pesos and that was that. She knew I was an extranjero as she had asked to see my passport. So, as of today anyway, domestic airline tickets don't appear to be affected by the resolution.

Damman
07-15-13, 23:51
United terminating NYC route:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.cronista.com/negocios/Por-falta-de-demanda-United-Airlines-elimina-los-vuelos-sin-escalas-de-Buenos-Aires-a-Nueva-York-20130715-0081.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

http://www.cronista.com/negocios/Por-falta-de-demanda-United-Airlines-elimina-los-vuelos-sin-escalas-de-Buenos-Aires-a-Nueva-York-20130715-0081.html

Daddy Rulz
07-16-13, 03:51
United terminating NYC route:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.cronista.com/negocios/Por-falta-de-demanda-United-Airlines-elimina-los-vuelos-sin-escalas-de-Buenos-Aires-a-Nueva-York-20130715-0081.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

http://www.cronista.com/negocios/Por-falta-de-demanda-United-Airlines-elimina-los-vuelos-sin-escalas-de-Buenos-Aires-a-Nueva-York-20130715-0081.htmlIt could be a seasonal adjustment.

Big Boss Man
12-08-13, 13:57
I read this article this morning. http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20131207/frequent-flier-miles-worth-less-as-airlines-roll-back-benefits I am sitting here with a bank of 450,000 miles. Maybe better used sooner rather than later.

Rev BS
01-22-14, 23:09
For those sitting around BA twiddling their peckers:

13 day South America Passage, Buenos Aires to Santiago, March 4 & 17. MS Zaandam. Visiting Montevideo, Puerto Madryn, Straits of Magellan, Puerto Arenas, Ushuaia, Cape Horn, Amerlia Glacia, Chiliean Fjords, Puerto Montt, Santiango.

Just to go to Holland America Cruise Lines website, or other discount cruise agencies. Prices was of today, but don't be surprise if it has gone up when you try to book. You can wait but I don't believe they will go down any further. Cruises are generally $100 per day & up. Sales tax will be added on, and gratituties are about $10 a day. Excursions are extra, but you can choose to go on your own. Just make sure you make back to the ship on time. Generally, you can buy excursions at the port cheaper, or just negotiate with a taxi driver for a set fee or use local transportation. Holland America has a good reputation, and the food is excellent. I did this cruise a few years back.

Boston
01-23-14, 20:14
What's going on with AA? Very hard to get a ticket coach or Bz from Chicago? NO business availability over a 4 month period and the peon section has you taking 3 flights to get there. Observations and opinions welcome.

Troyster
01-23-14, 20:49
What's going on with AA? Very hard to get a ticket coach or Bz from Chicago? NO business availability over a 4 month period and the peon section has you taking 3 flights to get there. Observations and opinions welcome.Very strange. When are you traveling? I hopped on their site and there is limited space in Feb. Not great rates. Most flights through MIA or DFW.

Boston
01-24-14, 20:14
Very strange. When are you traveling? I hopped on their site and there is limited space in Feb. Not great rates. Most flights through MIA or DFW.

Toyster, I should have mentioned I was talking about using miles for the ticket. I was looking mid year and all business was greyed out. I did find one thing out..if you check every few days, availability does change. I also called AAdvantage and found out that if you book and something better does come available, you can change with no problem, as long as destination and dates remain the same.

Easy Go
01-25-14, 23:10
I was looking for a business award in November. Good availability but only for the daytime flights from and to MIA.

You can change dates without a problem on an AA award. Just need to keep the same airports.

Troyster
01-26-14, 17:04
Toyster, I should have mentioned I was talking about using miles for the ticket. I was looking mid year and all business was greyed out. I did find one thing out..if you check every few days, availability does change. I also called AAdvantage and found out that if you book and something better does come available, you can change with no problem, as long as destination and dates remain the same.Our beloved ff miles mean almost nothing anymore. I find if you are limited on flexibility you have to start about a year out these days to have a chance. Good luck. Hope you find something.

Boston
01-26-14, 19:33
I was looking for a business award in November. Good availability but only for the daytime flights from and to MIA.

You can change dates without a problem on an AA award. Just need to keep the same airports.Thanks, I did not know we can change dates too.

Miami Bob
01-30-14, 01:04
The issues on whether to fly with two or three classes and if there is a first class cabin, how many seats, are in flux. When american has the answers, then the booking will be on the website. The new first class will use more space and need a higher ticket price. How much value is added on the difference between first and business? Are most of the first classs seat filled by passengers paying full price or are getting discounted upgrades with miles vs cash.

American is out of bankruptcy and looking to make money with the configuration of their new longer distance eqipment.

I, for one, see little value of the upgrade from business to first class on the 777's the used in the recent past. The upgrade from coach to business is huge for a 9+ hour flight, especially when paying primarily or totally with miles.

TejanoLibre
05-03-14, 00:37
Air Fare:

If I want to fly in or out of this country and I am a citizen or a RESIDENT I pay X amount of pesos if I use the Argie Airlines or LAN.

Fair enough.

But If my traveling companion is a foreigner she May have to pay quite a bit more.

Example:

1200 p for me and 2000 p for my companion.

That's not cool!

Does it help if my companion is part of Mercosur?

Thanks,

TL.

It is cheaper for me to fly than to take a bus!

One is 13 hours and the other one is 2 hours duration!

SHIT!

The Only benefit is that it gives you 13 hours of one on one, face to face time.

Tres3
05-10-14, 18:25
A perfect example is Aerolneas Argentinas, the company loses more then 2.5 million dollars per day, service is lousy. Flights are regularly canceled. Most web travel sites will not even sell their tickets. But the government (which is basically bankrupt) continues to pump money into it that they don't have. Any management with half a brain would sell it off or even give it away just to stop the hemorrhaging. But we all know that will never happen. I had a recent experience with Aerolineas that I would not believe if it had not happened. It is small wonder that Aerolineas went bankrupt, and is once again broke. All I wanted to do was buy two tickets from BA to Iguazu and pay cash. I did not want to pay with a USA issued credit card because all the fees would guarantee that I would receive an exchange rate much less than the "Official Rate". The first thing I encountered was that Aerolineas only gave an hour from the time that the reservation was made until the time it had to be paid for. I could not get to a ticket office listed on the Aerolineas web site in less than an hour. I then discovered that going to an Aerolineas ticket office would do no good. After going to a ticket office, I was informed that the airport (in this case EZE or AEP) was the only place that I could pay cash. I took the Tienda Leon bus to AEP and found that the reservation was a two step process. First I had to make a reservation and have the ticket issued, (thank goodness I speak Spanish because the ticket agent spoke very little English) and then I had to stand in another line to pay. When I payed, I was charged $321.20 p for "miscellaneous charges" that were not disclosed on the web site or by the ticket agent. I paid and left in disgust. I suppose that I could have used a travel agent, but who is going to pay the agent's commission? USA airlines stopped paying commissions to agents many years ago. Does Aerolineas still pay a commission to Argentine agents? Quite frankly I do not care, but that is another expense (government subsidy) that Aerolineas must pay.

The DELTA office across the street from my apartment would let me buy a ticket anywhere DELTA flies for cash (pesos) paid in their office, or their web site would let me pay in the USA with a USA issued credit card, thus avoiding the fees.

Tres3.

Jackson
05-11-14, 01:52
I had a recent experience with Aerolineas that I would not believe if it had not happened. It is small wonder that Aerolineas went bankrupt, and is once again broke. All I wanted to do was buy two tickets from BA to Iguazu and pay cash. I did not want to pay with a USA issued credit card because all the fees would guarantee that I would receive an exchange rate much less than the "Official Rate". The first thing I encountered was that Aerolineas only gave an hour from the time that the reservation was made until the time it had to be paid for. I could not get to a ticket office listed on the Aerolineas web site in less than an hour. I then discovered that going to an Aerolineas ticket office would do no good. After going to a ticket office, I was informed that the airport (in this case EZE or AEP) was the only place that I could pay cash. I took the Tienda Leon bus to AEP and found that the reservation was a two step process. First I had to make a reservation and have the ticket issued, (thank goodness I speak Spanish because the ticket agent spoke very little English) and then I had to stand in another line to pay. When I payed, I was charged $321.20 p for "miscellaneous charges" that were not disclosed on the web site or by the ticket agent. I paid and left in disgust. I suppose that I could have used a travel agent, but who is going to pay the agent's commission? USA airlines stopped paying commissions to agents many years ago. Does Aerolineas still pay a commission to Argentine agents? Quite frankly I do not care, but that is another expense (government subsidy) that Aerolineas must pay.

The DELTA office across the street from my apartment would let me buy a ticket anywhere DELTA flies for cash (pesos) paid in their office, or their web site would let me pay in the USA with a USA issued credit card, thus avoiding the fees.

Tres3.Last month I paid cash at the main Aerolineas Argentinas office downtown at Perú 2 for 2 tickets to Cancun. I made the reservation on their website and had 24 hours to pay. On the 1st trip to the office I tried to pretend I was a tourist, and was advised that all foreigners are required to pay in USD. I returned later that day with pesos and my DNI and was issued the receipt for the electronic tickets within a few minutes.

Go figure.

Thanks,

Jax.

Daddy Rulz
05-11-14, 02:44
I talk to Argie friends of mine and they just don't get this. The National Flagged Carrier will not accept their own currency in their own capital. I could understand it if I was paying for a ticket on Aerolineas in Germany or something. But this would be like American Airlines refusing to accept dollars for a ticket a Brit was trying to purchase in Washington DC saying, "Sorry, we only accept Pounds from you." My Argie friends all say the same "You are Yankees you can afford it" or "YaY, you should use your dollars.".

Then I look at them and ask "how can your government, not allow somebody to buy something using YOUR money in YOUR country? It's like the government itself is saying "Our money is shit, we don't want it." Then they start to understand.

Gandolf50
05-11-14, 08:34
I talk to Argie friends of mine and they just don't get this. The National Flagged Carrier will not accept their own currency in their own capital. I could understand it if I was paying for a ticket on Aerolineas in Germany or something. But this would be like American Airlines refusing to accept dollars for a ticket a Brit was trying to purchase in Washington DC saying, "Sorry, we only accept Pounds from you." My Argie friends all say the same "You are Yankees you can afford it" or "YaY, you should use your dollars.".

Then I look at them and ask "how can your government, not allow somebody to buy something using YOUR money in YOUR country? It's like the government itself is saying "Our money is shit, we don't want it." Then they start to understand.LOL!! Hasn't it been a law now that all purchases in Argentina have to be in pesos? Or is it that the law does not apply to yankee devils?

Tres3
05-11-14, 13:30
Last month I paid cash at the main Aerolineas Argentinas office downtown at Peru 2 for 2 tickets to Cancun. I made the reservation on their website and had 24 hours to pay. On the 1st trip to the office I tried to pretend I was a tourist, and was advised that all foreigners are required to pay in USD. I returned later that day with pesos and my DNI and was issued the receipt for the electronic tickets within a few minutes.

Go figure.

Thanks,

Jax.The law says that all purchases must be in pesos, but I guess that the law does not apply to the government owned national airline unless you can prove that you are not a tourist. I do not live here, so I do not have a DNI. That means I cannot get an Argentine issued credit card to pay for my ticket in pesos in Argentina, or go to an Aerolineas office that will accept cash pesos and pay cash pesos. I must incur the USA or other foreign credit card fees that reduce the effective exchange rate that I receive or pay cash in USD. What if I am a poor tourist who has only a foreign passport AND has changed most, if not all, of his foreign money to pesos? I guess that I am SOL, because the government and / or Aerolineas do not care. An Aerolineas ticket cannot be bought by someone else with a DNI, because the name on the ticket must be the same as the name on the ID used to get a boarding pass.

Meanwhile, Aerolineas gets broker and broker, and never discloses the above to the hapless tourist.

I do not think I will ever figure out the Argentine mentality, and have given up trying in order to avoid going nuts.

Tres3.D

Daddy Rulz
05-11-14, 14:41
The law says that all purchases must be in pesos, but I guess that the law does not apply to the government owned national airline unless you can prove that you are not a tourist. I do not live here, so I do not have a DNI. That means I cannot get an Argentine issued credit card to pay for my ticket in pesos in Argentina, or go to an Aerolineas office that will accept cash pesos and pay cash pesos. I must incur the USA or other foreign credit card fees that reduce the effective exchange rate that I receive or pay cash in USD. What if I am a poor tourist who has only a foreign passport AND has changed most, if not all, of his foreign money to pesos? I guess that I am SOL, because the government and / or Aerolineas do not care. An Aerolineas ticket cannot be bought by someone else with a DNI, because the name on the ticket must be the same as the name on the ID used to get a boarding pass.

Meanwhile, Aerolineas gets broker and broker, and never discloses the above to the hapless tourist.

I do not think I will ever figure out the Argentine mentality, and have given up trying in order to avoid going nuts.

Tres3.DThis explains it. It won't help you get anything done but maybe it will help with the going nuts part. You must accept this at face value, there is no logic involved.

Unlike the rest of the world where the value of goods or services is pretty much based on what a person will pay for it. In Argentina the value of a good or service is based on what you are perceived by the seller as having the ABILITY to pay for it. If one person CAN pay 700 then that's the price, if another person CAN pay 1500 then that is the price. If you pay less, they think you have somehow robbed them.

Once you get this, it isn't any less frustrating, but it does start to make some kind of sense. There is this one chick at Newport that we call Y3K? Why Y3K? Because, well, with a strait face she told me I had to pay her 3,000 pesos an hour, hence Y3K. Her preferred date is an Argie guy, in decent shape, between 23-30 and I fucking know not a one of those fuckers is spending 3 K an hour. I woulda banged her three or four times by now for 1000-1200 but in her mind that wouldn't be 3-5000 pesos she had earned but rather 6-8000 I had stolen from her.

HGL I know you're not a noob here, I don't mean to talk down to you, obviously you know how to handle yourself. It just took me a long time to figure this out and I thought I would offer a "for what it's worth" kinda thing. Mostly because it extends into all aspects of business, they will walk away from a deal with an extranjero that they would happily make with another Argie, rent, services, cars, anything.

ElAlamoPalermo
05-11-14, 15:49
The law says that all purchases must be in pesos, but I guess that the law does not apply to the government owned national airline unless you can prove that you are not a tourist. I do not live here, so I do not have a DNI. That means I cannot get an Argentine issued credit card to pay for my ticket in pesos in Argentina, or go to an Aerolineas office that will accept cash pesos and pay cash pesos. I must incur the USA or other foreign credit card fees that reduce the effective exchange rate that I receive or pay cash in USD. What if I am a poor tourist who has only a foreign passport AND has changed most, if not all, of his foreign money to pesos? I guess that I am SOL, because the government and / or Aerolineas do not care. An Aerolineas ticket cannot be bought by someone else with a DNI, because the name on the ticket must be the same as the name on the ID used to get a boarding pass.

Tres3.DFYI, you can pay for an Aerolineas Argentinas ticket on their USA website using a USA credit card without incurring any foreign transaction fees.

Albert Punter
05-11-14, 17:57
FYI, you can pay for an Aerolineas Argentinas ticket on their USA website using a USA credit card without incurring any foreign transaction fees.Confirmed, you can buy in Aerolineas Argentinas website easily.

Gandolf50
05-11-14, 18:03
Confirmed, you can buy in Aerolineas Argentinas website easily.But you can not buy their tickets on most normal travel sites as they refuse to sell them...

Albert Punter
05-11-14, 20:40
I bought in Expedia at least a couple of times.

But you can not buy their tickets on most normal travel sites as they refuse to sell them...

Member #3320
05-11-14, 22:52
But you can not buy their tickets on most normal travel sites as they refuse to sell them...Not true at all.

Gandolf50
05-12-14, 07:58
Not true at all.I just did a quick search on travelocity for flights from NY to EZE and not one flight shows for Cristina Airlines. I remember asking them once and they said they won't sell their (Areolinas Argentinas) flights because they have too many cancellations and complaints. Too many problems. Lan Argentina shows up but then they are not controlled by a banana republic.

Member #3320
05-12-14, 09:27
I just did a quick search on travelocity for flights from NY to EZE and not one flight shows for Cristina Airlines. I remember asking them once and they said they won't sell their (Areolinas Argentinas) flights because they have too many cancellations and complaints. Too many problems. Lan Argentina shows up but then they are not controlled by a banana republic.Try Expedia

search on Kayak.com

serach Buenos Aires to Rosario or New York to Buenos Aires

On another note, what compels you to continue living all these years in this "banana republic"?

Tres3
05-12-14, 11:22
The extended discussion of how to buy a ticket on this limited forum only proves my point. If Aerolineas were a well, or even competently, managed airline, we would not be having this discussion. In fact, this discussion would have never arisen. I think we will all agree that good customer service, all customers, not just Argentine citizens and residents, is an essential element of a well managed airline. The simple fact that we have had this discussion proves the point that Aerolineas is a poorly managed airline. Posters on this forum are silent with regard to the many other airlines, many of them state owned, that fly to Argentina. We do not need to go into a prolonged discussion of traveling with a computer, the Internet, WiFi, foreign IP. Addresses, credit card fees, etc. A well managed airline has an I.T. Department that has already figured all of that out. Uruguay had the good sense to shut down PLUNA. Argentina should do the same. Competent management will seize the opportunity and fill the void.

My dos centavos worth.

Tres3.

DavieW
05-12-14, 11:35
Prices for international travel are absolutely off the charts at the moment.

I traveled back to the UK with my son a year ago and it cost a total of 18,000 pesos. I'm currently being quoted 42,000 pesos.

Even allowing for the changing exchange rate that's USD2,500 v USD4,000 FFS!

Gandolf50
05-12-14, 20:25
Try Expedia

search on Kayak.com

On another note, what compels you to continue living all these years in this "banana republic"?If things don't get better with the next group of thieves that move into the casa rosada I will be looking into leaving. The truth is I need to unload some more land and houses before I leave. It wasnt this bad a few years ago. Too many losses if I leave now and leave things on consignment.

Gandolf50
05-12-14, 20:37
Try Expedia

search on Kayak.com

On another note, what compels you to continue living all these years in this "banana republic"?Internal flights are one thing as many of the routes are only served by Aerolinias. International is another thing. If I can avoid flying them, I do. They are typical Argentine. They don't like to do required maintenance. They had a plane grounded in NY last month or the month before because the FAA would not let them fly until they performed overdue maintenance. Whats worse is that it was not the first time. Their seats are small and uncomfortable and their prices are usually among the highest. I have been stuck with them on several connecting flights and each time there was a problem with being late, or waiting for luggage or something. Maybe I am just spoiled by American Airlines since they treat me well as a frequent flyer and I get to avoid a lot of lines and almost always get a free upgrade if there is a seat available. But that's me, every one has different needs and tastes. I'm sure there are people some where who swear by Aerolineas...

Moore
09-22-14, 18:18
I'm looking at flying to EZE next month, and getting fare quotes of $1700 and higher. This is getting way out of hand.

Anybody know why flying to EZE from USA is so expensive?

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.

El Perro
09-22-14, 23:22
I'm looking at flying to EZE next month, and getting fare quotes of $1700 and higher. This is getting way out of hand.

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.I recently booked a round trip from Miami through Carbone Travel for about $1,100. Promotional rate with limitations but nice.

WorldTravel69
09-23-14, 11:35
On www.kayak.com is $1141 on certain days next month.
I forgot to mention that is from SFO.

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.

Tres3
09-23-14, 12:26

I regularly fly coast to coast in USA for $350. At 2500 miles that's half the distance to Argentina, but only 20% of the cost.A lot of the price depends on where you live in the USA, and whether or not you are willing to change airplanes in Central or South America. If you live close to South Florida you have a lot more choices because of the competition. I have found that the cheapest fares are change plane fares in Panama, Columbia, or Peru. The layover is one an a half to four hours, depending on the flight and country. The West Coast is terrible for airfares because of the lack of competition, and it is not just to EZE. I have a friend who works in Asia, and lives in Peru. He travels frequently from work to home, and has found it cheaper to fly to Florida, visit his sister, and then fly to Peru, than to fly to Peru via the West Coast.

You are correct about transcon fares, but that is due primarily to the low cost airlines and competition. The Latin American airlines do do not have much competition, and hate competition.

Tres3.

Boston
09-23-14, 19:19
A lot of the price depends on where you live in the USA, and whether or not you are willing to change airplanes in Central or South America. If you live close to South Florida you have a lot more choices because of the competition. I have found that the cheapest fares are change plane fares in Panama, Columbia, or Peru. The layover is one an a half to four hours, depending on the flight and country. The West Coast is terrible for airfares because of the lack of competition, and it is not just to EZE. I have a friend who works in Asia, and lives in Peru. He travels frequently from work to home, and has found it cheaper to fly to Florida, visit his sister, and then fly to Peru, than to fly to Peru via the West Coast.

You are correct about transcon fares, but that is due primarily to the low cost airlines and competition. The Latin American airlines do do not have much competition, and hate competition.

Tres3.Ticket is $1,600.00 from Chicago on AA always. Look for deals for buying miles. There was a promotion from AA where you get a 25% discount on what you buy. I found a round trip for 40 k miles on AAdvantage. I was down to zero miles at the time so I had to buy all the miles. Even with the tax, fees and small print, I ended up paying about $900.00 for all. Same flight that they sold for $1,600.00! AA is the only one where you can fly for 40k miles but you have to be flexible. And.......after you book, if you find a better flight you can change for no cost.

Rev BS
09-23-14, 19:47
Ticket is $1,600.00 from Chicago on AA always. Look for deals for buying miles. There was a promotion from AA where you get a 25% discount on what you buy. I found a round trip for 40 k miles on AAdvantage. I was down to zero miles at the time so I had to buy all the miles. Even with the tax, fees and small print, I ended up paying about $900.00 for all. Same flight that they sold for $1,600.00! AA is the only one where you can fly for 40k miles but you have to be flexible. And.......after you book, if you find a better flight you can change for no cost.The 40 K is low season, a tremendous deal, as with 30 K to Lima, Bogota, Medellin. And for 20 K, you can use it for 1 way, too. Just have to watch the airport taxes, it can be quite different as with London ($200) compared to Paris or Madrid (at least 50 per cent less).

Just watch out for the transfer, flights often come with overnight connections. And beware of coming into LGA and leaving from JFK.

And you need to plan & book way ahead of departure. Unless, you are born lucky.

Boston
09-24-14, 19:32
The 40 K is low season, a tremendous deal, as with 30 K to Lima, Bogota, Medellin. And for 20 K, you can use it for 1 way, too. Just have to watch the airport taxes, it can be quite different as with London ($200) compared to Paris or Madrid (at least 50 per cent less).

Just watch out for the transfer, flights often come with overnight connections. And beware of coming into LGA and leaving from JFK.

And you need to plan & book way ahead of departure. Unless, you are born lucky.One other thing about AA. They seemed to have blocked out the 50 K business class level. I flew this one time and was very impressed. Not Singapore Air but still pretty good. Check iflybusiness.com for deals in business class. I found one for about 3 k on UA but a long layover in San Paolo. If you're going Chicago to san Paolo it is perfect.

Miami Bob
09-28-14, 18:01
You must not use any site other than Lan or you can end up with 3 or 4 stops. Lan does fly non-stop mia / eze RT.

Lan and AA are both part of one world. Sometimes you can save 50% by buying your seat on AA equipment via Lan.

Big Boss Man
12-01-14, 10:13
I cannot even avoid the type As at the airport. I get to the airport and of course there is only one person checking IDs and there is a long line. So I am premiere class so I immediately go to the front of the line. Some woman starts complaining that ID checker should take her first while I do the machine check in. Sorry darling. The world works.

In a slightly different way. Something in the Argentinean air brings out people's egos.

Big Boss Man
12-02-14, 20:59
Rather than flying overnight through Dallas like I usually do I tried the new Buenos Aires to Miami flight that leaves at 10:20 Am.

In BA, lines are much shorter at both security and immigration which gives more time to relax in the lounge. The the new AA Lounge is upgraded with power plugs at every seat.

My true concern was Miami which I do consider the worst airport in the world. First I always arrange that I have a good amount time between flights. AA (prpbably believing they can pull this off) automatically switched me to an earlier flight. As I got off the plane they handed me a boarding pass in a red folder which was supposed to give me priority through immigration and customs. Well I am Global Entry and Trusted Traveler anyway so I do not really need it. First Global Entry Kiosk I try is not working. System does not recognize me. I try another and luckily it goes through. Armed with the red card, I get in the the diplomats and airline personnel line which is slightly shorter than the Global Entry line. The custom's agent asked me if I bought anything and I say just some Christmas stuff. As I am walking away, the agent asks me if I bought more than $2000 in Christmas shit. I just laughed and said "No Way.".

I head to the gate in fairly good time. It turns out the boarding gate listed on the boarding pass had changed. Now I am OJ Simpson which is a sorry sight to see being a 62 year old fat guy. I make it but I am the second to last person to board the plane. Luckily they do not give away those First Class overhead storage bins. Uneventful ride home.

Of course once you reach LA you now encounter the worst taxi drivers in the world. I live 4 miles from the airport and the guy got lost (well only one wrong turn). "Turn here. Turn here." He does not quite hear me. Cab driver was playing Christmas music so I tip him 25%.

Reach the house by 23:00 hours which is 4:00 AM BA time. So waking up at 6:00 AM in BA made it a 22 hour trek and I had a nice nap three hour on BA to Miami flight.

I do like the daytime flight. I just wish it went through DFW. I know Texas is California's great rival but I do admit the Texans are damn good. Worthy rivals.

Joe 23
12-07-14, 22:24
My true concern was Miami which I do consider the worst airport in the world.Can flying through Santiago de Chile be an option for you? If I am correct, AA flies from LA to SCL, ant then you can fly LAN from SCL to BA.

LAN is a One World member so you might be able to use / save your AA mileage.

Big Boss Man
12-08-14, 00:57
Can flying through Santiago de Chile be an option for you? If I am correct, AA flies from LA to SCL, ant then you can fly LAN from SCL to BA.

LAN is a One World member so you might be able to use / save your AA mileage.Yes. I have actually done the Buenos Aires, Santiago and Lima triumvirate of mongering more than once. I took a liking to first class when it took only 120,000 mileage points. Now first class is in the order of 390,000 miles.

LAN does not have first class so you have to sit next to someone. Although I have heard they have improved the LAN business class seats. Anybody with experience in the new LAN business class?

David_33
12-12-14, 16:24
Anybody with experience in the new LAN business class?

Nice lie flat seats in LAN business class:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-lanpass/1545992-new-business-class-b763.html

http://www.lan.com/sitio_personas/minisitios/boeing767/b767/index.html

WorldTravel69
01-10-15, 12:56
What is up with the airlines? Gas is cheap and I had heard that the fares would drop.

Funny I can go to Ecuador for $500, but it cost $1200-1400 to go to Argentina?

Aurora
01-10-15, 14:47
What is up with the airlines? Gas is cheap and I had heard that the fares would drop.

Funny I can go to Ecuador for $500, but it cost $1200-1400 to go to Argentina?It s called CRISTINA! LOL.

They think that this is Europe, everything is very expensive here! It s actually getting more expensive then London! WTF??

Have a great trip!

Maria.

Riina
01-10-15, 16:00

Funny I can go to Ecuador for $500, but it cost $1200-1400 to go to Argentina?I think most gas is bought well in advance by airlines (like six months). I'm sure we will see cheaper prices this summer. Just a guess, but I bet gas is way cheaper in Ecuador than Argentina.

PirateMorgan
01-10-15, 23:58
Well it is too bad for Riina and maybe for the rest of us who need cheap plane tickets. The reduction in the price of oil is putting a lot of money in peoples pockets so you get more travel (more demand) AND there has been huge movements in the currency markets mostly favoring the dollar so many destinations have gotten MUCH cheaper in the last few months, especially Europe (about 12%) and places like Brazil, Colombia and Mexico too. It is hard to find a destination that has gotten more expensive versus the dollar. Really it's cool for those of us living outside of the USA Or traveling outside the USA So the airlines really are in fat city!

Rev BS
01-12-15, 22:54
Not much help for South America. I did see $400 RT for Lima to BA on Lan. So if you have 30 AA miles RT to Lima, you are home free.

From this side of the Pacific, I have not seem such great airfares since the Sars epedemic and 9/11. Not sure what the dynamics for all these incredible airfares. While RT are great, the best for me are multi-city flights. I scored a Capetown to Bangkok-Paris for $595 on Etihad in April. And Singapore-LAX-Bangkok next month on Delta. And I saw a flgiht that I might buy after Paris, and that is Moscow-Istanbul-Bangkok for $330 on Turkish Airline in June.

Last month, I did a Singapore-Sydney RT for $200 on Malaysian Airlines. Not true? Just go to Kayak and start hammering.

Disasters seem to follow me everywhere. After I left Sydney, there was a hostage crisis, leaving 3/4 dead. And now that I am booked for Paris, the terrorist shooting a few days ago. I am starting to feel like Jason Bourne.

Don B
02-06-15, 18:58
I am trying to make reservations for a March trip to Lima and Bs As.

Very frustrating. I juggle dates and every time I finally find fights that are reasonable and try to book either the flights are no longer available or the price increases, in one case by over $3000.

Don B.

Don B
02-06-15, 23:03
So I tried delaying until May. Same thing tried about 1 o flights, even ones that were ridiculous and the same thing, price doubles.

You just can't get to Bs As with a stop in Lima.

Don B.

Rev BS
02-07-15, 00:29
In general, there is a time window for different destinations where prices will be low and then will start to creep up. After that, you have to look out for FLASH deals where they might appear for a few hours, sometimes days.

Go to Kayak. March, LAX-Lima, round trip $600-$800, Lima-EZE, round trip $500-$600. For a single ticket, with Lima stopover1 or 2 way, $1300+. August, you probably could save around $300+.

For about 2 weeks, I was looking for a ticket for my friend, LAX-Paris, round trip. A few months ago, Aeroflot was the cheapest at $700+ with very bad connection times. Not too many alternatives, $1200+ for the others. Then Aeroflot started creeping up, now at around $1050+. But 2 days ago, Turkish Air came out with $800 round trip. Connection time was just as bad, but 1 or 2 nights in Istanbul cannot be beat. He is not a monger. For me, Moscow would have been great. Now that the ruble is down, I was able to book an American 5 star hotel for $104 plus taxes. It used to $300 to $400 a night.

How do you say "fuck me" in Russian?

Don B
02-22-15, 17:30
So I tried delaying until May. Same thing tried about 1 o flights, even ones that were ridiculous and the same thing, price doubles.

You just can't get to Bs As with a stop in Lima.

Don B.Still the same problem with one ticket. Looked at about two dozen cheap fares, even those with terrible connecting times, every time I checked availability the fare would go up by about $1000, USD that is.

By buying two tickets I got almost exactly what I wanted for 754 Ord to Lima and 419 RT Lima Bs As, total 1173. This also gives me a long enough layover in Mexico City for a quick trip for a photo that I want for a book I am writing.

Don B.

Boston
02-22-15, 19:10
Still the same problem with one ticket. Looked at about two dozen cheap fares, even those with terrible connecting times, every time I checked availability the fare would go up by about $1000, USD that is.

By buying two tickets I got almost exactly what I wanted for 754 Ord to Lima and 419 RT Lima Bs As, total 1173. This also gives me a long enough layover in Mexico City for a quick trip for a photo that I want for a book I am writing.

Don B.If you are flexible on dates, AA still lets you travel from USA to BA for 40 k miles. With the promotion they have now, even if you don't have any miles you can get 40 k for about $1. 000. If you have some miles it is even less. I got my ticket for about $900.00, although you have to be flexible. The availability changes almost daily.

DavieW
02-23-15, 09:53
Anyone else ever tried getting an error fare? A mate of mine noticed this a few months back - http://www.secretflying.com/2015/01/error-fare-manchester-argentina-247-return/ - and I got x2 returns from Manchester (UK) to Buenos Aires for GBP250 (USD375) each!

Flying with Lufthansa. Good departure times too - late afternoon both ways. Will be there in April.

Last week I just missed out on first class returns, London-NYC-London, for GBP50!

Tres3
02-23-15, 11:41
If you are coming from South Florida or some other Avianca connecting city, you might want to check out Avianca via Bogota. The daily flight to and from BA is on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The connections from / to MIA are short ant the return flight leaves in the morning, not at night. I travel on frequent flyer miles with the United alliance, but the fares from MIA look competitive.

Tres3.

George Sims
08-16-15, 03:24
I am coming to BA in Dec. I looked for business class out of Miami with Aerolinas Argentinas. Ive read nothing buy horrible reviews on line but they are all over a year old. I RTFF and no one mentions the airline? Has anyone flown it? Are the seats lay flat?

Tres3
08-16-15, 14:00
I am coming to BA in Dec. I looked for business class out of Miami with Aerolinas Argentinas. Ive read nothing buy horrible reviews on line but they are all over a year old. I RTFF and no one mentions the airline? Has anyone flown it? Are the seats lay flat?If anything Aerolinas Argentinas has gotten worse. I do not know if they have lie flat seats, but their fares are comparable, if not higher, than the other airlines flying to EZE. I cross my fingers every time I fly AA domestically because one never knows when they will arrive.

Tres3.

Tres3
08-16-15, 14:10
If you are coming from South Florida or some other Avianca connecting city, you might want to check out Avianca via Bogota. The daily flight to and from BA is on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The connections from / to MIA are short ant the return flight leaves in the morning, not at night. I travel on frequent flyer miles with the United alliance, but the fares from MIA look competitive.

Tres3.Avianca has shifted the Dreamliner to the Santiago, Chile route. I flew the Dreamliner my last visit to BA, and it was no big deal. Avianca went back to A330 airplanes to and from EZE. The Bogota/EZE airplane has lie flat seats in Business Class. I thought the MIA VIP lounge had better food than the airplane.

Tres3.

Gandolf50
08-19-15, 23:16
For those of you who think their service is so good..... My son came down from N.Y. Last week and the flight left 5 hours late.... No explanation or reason given. Yesterday , (18/8/15) almost all flights leaving BRC ( San Carlos de Bariloche ) where canceled. No reason given. Today my flight from BRC to Aeroparque, left a hour late. No reason given. One can only hope that Macri wins and returns the business to the private sector!

Gandolf50
08-24-15, 08:06
More on this disaster of a so called company. My son flew back to NY last night. The line to get on line stretched all the way across concourse C moving like a tortuga. When we finally approached the pre check in people ( five BOLUDOS checking in one person at a time) after almost a hour we see Argies coming up, skipping the line, besos y abrazo with the A.A. People and then they allow them to cut the line. When I objected and called them and the people they were allowing to cut the line a group Hijo de Putas and then they pulled the typical argie defence saying, no, I dont understand, no, they were on line and had to go to the bathroom, etc. Etc. So I tell the idiot to not piss on my leg and tell me its raining. Just like Cristina, lie to your face! Finally the police come over, but I kept making a fuss and they called out some fat chick from the back room who told me I had to make a complaint on line that I could not make a complaint in the airport (?????). Then I start ripping her a new one saying that A.A.s web site does not work worth a damn and you cant even check in on line like they tell you you have to do. At this point a large group of passengers that were near by started clapping and cheering ( I am guessing I am not the only person having a bad day with Asshole Argentina) Their automated check in machines on the concourse were not working either. Eventually the fat stupidvisor figured she had to do something since she was not winning the argument and brought us over to priority check in were there was no line and four agents sitting around with their thumbs up their proverbial a$$es. This morning I tried to lodge a complaint on line, and guess what? The web site was not HABILITADO!!! Macri was right when he said that if this government nationalized a carnival carousel that they would find a way to crash it. Avoid this sad excuse of a airline at all costs!

Dancesw/Chicas
08-25-15, 02:06
I flew back to the States last night and the automated machines were still out of order.

Even without any baggage to check in I was told to do the line and it took nearly an hour.

Since I do not live in Argentina I just see it as part of the "Argentina trip experience" but let me tell you I don't know if I'll have patience for this type of thing on a daily basis.

DWC

Member #4112
08-25-15, 14:31
Hey maybe next time you could hitch a ride with her majesty Christina, bet she does not wait line for the Argie Air Force 1.

These guys are totally Fuck3d. I usually try to fly TAM from BsAs to Rio or Sao Paulo when I go over to Brazil.

Big Boss Man
08-30-15, 13:20
I am thinking of doing the the Sao Paulo Buenos Aires South America circuit this year. The real is now favorable again to the US dollar after many many years. Yesterday I was looking at a combination of paid fare and airline points. Today all of a sudden there is a fare saver special on the flight from LAX to GRU. I can do the whole trip on airline miles. As the Grateful Dead once sang, "Sometimes the light is all shining on me, other times I can barely see.".

Dickhead
08-30-15, 13:25
My travelling companion had to change her flight on Aerolineas and the change fee was more than the original ticket cost. Like about 30% more, just to change the return half. A bunch of Cock Suckers.

Tres3
08-30-15, 14:04
My travelling companion had to change her flight on Aerolineas and the change fee was more than the original ticket cost. Like about 30% more, just to change the return half. A bunch of Cock Suckers.Take a look at a one way fare on any airline coming to BA. It may be less than the change fee. I just bought a one way ticket from Florida to New England for substantially less than the change fee, and will just be a no show (no cancellation fee) on my original ticket. Change fees are complained about more in the USA than checked baggage fees.

Tres3.

Dickhead
08-30-15, 17:18
Take a look at a one way fare on any airline coming to BA. It may be less than the change fee. I just bought a one way ticket from Florida to New England for substantially less than the change fee, and will just be a no show (no cancellation fee) on my original ticket. Change fees are complained about more in the USA than checked baggage fees.

Tres3.I did do that but no one else flies one way non stop that I ever found and the layovers were very long and she only speaks Spanish (and nobody in Spain could fucking understand her argie ass anyway ha ha), and only $100 or so would have been saved.

Gandolf50
08-30-15, 20:52
Another weird airline quirk is that one way tickets are in most cases more expensive then a round trip.

BigMic
09-25-15, 22:01
In a pinch, there are some one way options utilizing the sometimes dirt cheap fares of one of the worlds worst airlines, Spirit, which has one way deals from Panama City and Lima and others. Jet Blue also has one low way fares. In addition to a 'free' layover in Peru or Columbia you can cobble together a trip and stretch a low number of miles as the airlines jack up the numbers from the U S to BA where close to 100k is becoming the norm. For instance, 20k can get you a one way within central/South America with Copa/United. Combine this with a cheap one way fare and a low mileage one way mileage award and you've got the trip closer to the mile level you were promised by the airline. This is an option to look at when your miles can only get you to/from BA in one direction for a reasonable amount of miles.

BigMic
09-25-15, 22:13
Keep in mind that while Spirit and Jet Blue sell one way international flights, proof of return travel is required to leave/return to the US. If using Spirit one has to be able to produce a paper copy of the Spirit 'ticket' for as the pariah of the industry, hated by everyone, Spirit is on their own and there is no recognized clearinghouse ticket number for their 'eticket'; this means there is no return ticket number to put into the computer system of the outgoing airline/TSA so it is essential to be able to produce/surrender a paper copy.

Member #4112
10-22-15, 11:08
Booked a flight on Aerolineas Argentinas with a departure and return from AEP (down town airport - 20 minutes from my apt) for a 07:40 flight in their Premium Economy/Club Condor class (that is First/Business Class for us Americanos).

Two days before I depart I get an email telling me my flight is now at 06:10 and out of EZE (the international airport out in the boonies - 1 hour from the apt) and the return flight is to EZE as well.

Well I'm a bit pissed as this adds about 1 1/2 hours travel time.

But it gets better, my ticket shows Premium Economy and I get access to the premium lounge but when I board the aircraft guess what, it is all economy seating.

So what is the Argie answer to this you may ask?

Why they put me in the isle seat, leave the middle seat open and put the other passenger in the seat next to the window.

The seating chart for my original flight showed only two rows with a total of 8 seats in First/Business, as you would expect.

Asked the flight attendant about this and was told with a smile this was "Premium Economy" and to shut up and sit down or get off the plane.

Just got the email for the return flight and guess what, now I am moved up 4 hours earlier, the seating chart shows it's all economy again so it appears I am getting Argie First again.

My experience has been this airline almost never runs on time or keeps the ticketed itinerary, and their pilots are not competent to fly in the rain (IFR) but what do you expect from a county as Fu*ked Up as Argentina.

For all the mineral and agricultural wealth this country has due to their political corruption, ineptitude and greed they will never amount to anything under their socialist government. Well that's OK Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina are drowning in their social spending debt and will collapse in the near future. Venezuela will go first and it's a toss up between Argentina and Brazil in the next couple of years.

End of rant - got to boogie to the airport for my new departure time.

Tres3
10-22-15, 11:26
Booked a flight on Aerolineas Argentinas with a departure and return from AEP (down town airport - 20 minutes from my apt) for a 07:40 flight in their Premium Economy/Club Condor class (that is First/Business Class for us Americanos).

Two days before I depart I get an email telling me my flight is now at 06:10 and out of EZE (the international airport out in the boonies - 1 hour from the apt) and the return flight is to EZE as well.Another confirmation of my earlier post to avoid Aerolineas unless you have no other choice.

Tres3.

Albert Punter
10-28-15, 22:46
Never had problems with them and honestly speaking they have improved over the years.
Talking abour Airlines, in my experience Avianca is the worst among the big south-american companies and there is no sign of improvement.

Another confirmation of my earlier post to avoid Aerolineas unless you have no other choice.

Tres3.

Big Boss Man
10-17-18, 13:28
AA is currently giving 10 miles for each dollar donated up to $1000. Miles are usually valued at 1.8 cents so buying at .10 cents is a good deal. It might be less if you are able to deduct charitable giving on your taxes. From the West Coast, I find AA the best for Brazil and Argentina. For Colombia and Central America I use Copa. Frankfurt and Madrid are also good on AA especially since they bought the Charlotte and Philadelphia hubs from US Air. You can find some business class flights for low points every once in awhile.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/americanairlines-pub.html/

BigMic
10-20-18, 00:52
AA is currently giving 10 miles for each dollar donated up to $1000. Miles are usually valued at 1.8 cents so buying at .10 cents is a good deal. It might be less if you are able to deduct charitable giving on your taxes. From the West Coast, I find AA the best for Brazil and Argentina. For Colombia and Central America I use Copa. Frankfurt and Madrid are also good on AA especially since they bought the Charlotte and Philadelphia hubs from US Air. You can find some business class flights for low points every once in awhile.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/americanairlines-pub.html/This AA.com/American Airlines ‘deal’ with Red Cross supports a worthy cause to raise funds for disaster relief but works out to 10 cents a mile, more than 5 times the recognized value.

BigMic
10-20-18, 01:07
Starting mid-December American Airlines starts daily nonstop 787 Dreamliner service from the Left Coast; Los Angeles to EZE.

12 hour Dreamliner Flight departs LAX at 2:30 p.m. And arrives EZE at 7:30 a.m.

Return 789 service departs EZE 10 p.m. And arrives LAX at 6 a.m.

Hopefully this new AA route will stick as it greatly reduces travel time from California.

Big Boss Man
10-20-18, 14:11
This AA.com/American Airlines deal with Red Cross supports a worthy cause to raise funds for disaster relief but works out to 10 cents a mile, more than 5 times the recognized value.I can't tell the difference between cents and dollars. It is becoming even more dangerous to do things in my head. When I was working always used a piece of scratch paper to make sure my units were correct.