Lacsa: www.taca.com
Lan Chile: www.lanchile.com
Lan Peru: www.lanperu.com
Lan Ecuador: www.lanecuador.com
Lloyd Aero Boliviano: www.labairlines.com
Taca International: www.taca.com
TAM: www.tam-airlines.com.br
Varig Airlines: www.varig.com.br/

And last but not least, the United Airlines Argentina website, which appears to offer the same fares as their USA website, except with an additional 10% discount.

United Airlines Argentina website: www.ual.com.ar

Hans25
02-16-05, 23:58
Hi all,

TACA has a 3 day special from MEX-EZE for 419Dlls.

JustGotBack
02-18-05, 14:34
I'm coming to BA soon, but I'm thinking about taking a sidetrip to Rio for a couple of days. Is it cheaper to buy it from a travel agent in BA or cheaper on Travelocity? It's about $300 for the roundtrip on Travelocity right now.

Sportsman
02-18-05, 22:19
Two days after I booked my trip I found another package deal in United Airline vacation website. This package has the same fights and date for early April originating from the same the city in the NE connecting in Chicago. Include 3 days stay at Viamonte Suites Appart Hotel. The advantages are this package is $60 cheaper at $840 and Viamonte has a kitchenette in all their rooms and suites. This hotel location is about 1 km away from Wilton.

Jackpot
02-22-05, 17:46
Areolinas Argentina and Austral (same company) charge approx 10 %
more to foreigners. Southern Winds charges all the same.

Ask your travel agent.........

Jackpot

Macgoo
04-05-05, 06:25
FYI

United -- Chicago (and others) to EZE, $499!!!

Daddy Rulz
04-05-05, 12:33
Their web site says $795.00 plus taxes. Where did you see this $499.00 fare?

Hunt99
04-05-05, 14:52
Check out United's "e-fares" promotions. $499 to Buenos Aires from many cities in North America.

Jaimito Cartero
04-06-05, 01:13
Check out:

http://www.itn.net/cgi/store?stamp=DK5wbm5Q5ZQ*itn%2Ford%3D1112756965.03695%2Citn%2Fair%2Fefare&return_to=unpub_avail&efare_group=all&efare_sort=depart&origin=ORD

United has a number of these sales around the country. Sometimes web sites like Travelocity.com will show them, sometimes they won't. If you really want to go, I'd sign up for the United email list. Their weekend sales are usually good for a 3-10 day stay. For a short visit, they're not a bad deal.

Here's a cut and paste text:

Latin E-Fares (departing April 11 - April 14)
The currently available discount fares are for roundtrip flights from selected departure cities to selected destinations listed below. Your return flight must be scheduled during the period Monday, April 18, through Thursday, April 21, 2005. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights/dates. Reservations must be made by Friday, April 8, 2005, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time and at least one day prior to travel through our website. Tickets are non-refundable and require immediate purchase by credit card when reservations are made. Fares do not include Passenger Facilities Charges of up to $18 depending on itinerary. Fares displayed do not include a $3.10 tax which will be imposed on each flight segment of your itinerary. Fares do not include the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10.00 maximum per round trip. A flight segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Please refer to the International E-Fare Facts for a detailed description of these charges and a summary of E-Fare rules.

Departure city Destination city Price
Chicago (ORD) Aruba (AUA) $420.00 Select This Itinerary
Chicago (ORD) Buenos Aires (EZE) $499.00 Select This Itinerary
Chicago (ORD) Mexico City (MEX) $218.00 Select This Itinerary
Chicago (ORD) Rio De Janeiro /Rio Janeiro (GIG) $591.00 Select This Itinerary
Chicago (ORD) Sao Paulo (GRU) $591.00 Select This Itinerary

Stormy
04-15-05, 16:14
Does anyone have an internet site for Southwinds airline? Thanks.

Somerset46
04-15-05, 17:12

Try
http://www.fly-sw.com/en/home.jsp

One Tree Hill
04-15-05, 22:39

Sportsman
04-19-05, 23:57
Expedia has a package deal with RT ticket from my hometown in the east coast to EZE connecting in Chicago on United over Memorial Day weekend (leaving on THUR 5/26 and returning on MON 5/30). The package costs about $800 including 3 nights stay at Hyde Park Hotel, $830 at Dazzler Hotel, $840 at Wilton Hotel, or $860 at Rochester Hotel, tax included. There are few other hotel package choices for under $900. The initial prices when you put in the travel dates are about $80 higher. But when continue with the booking process the prices go down to the prices I mentioned.

This deal is available to other dates around that timeframe too.

I have two other trips scheduled between now and Memorial Day Weekend already, otherwise I would seriously consider this offer. I hate to waste a long weekend just sticking around at home.

Jaimito Cartero
04-20-05, 02:11
Expedia has a package deal with RT ticket from my hometown in the east coast to EZE connecting in Chicago on United over Memorial Day weekend (leaving on THUR 5/26 and returning on MON 5/30).

The AA trip is a bit under $700 with taxes, and you can pick your own apartment. See my other post. You can also stay up to 10 days. 1 long weekend is NOT enough time in BA.

Jackson
04-20-05, 09:29
Does anyone have an internet site for Southwinds airline? Thanks.Stormy,

If you meant Southern Winds, the Argentine airline that flies domestically throughout the country, plus to Miami and Madrid, then the web address is:

http://www.sw.com.ar/en/home.jsp

Thanks,

Jackson

Stormy
04-20-05, 09:40
Stormy,

If you meant Southern Winds, the Argentine airline that flies domestically throughout the country, plus to Miami and Madrid, then the web address is:

http://www.sw.com.ar/en/home.jsp

Thanks,

JacksonNo wonder I couldn't find it, I was searching under the wrong name. Thanks.

One Tree Hill
04-20-05, 16:46
I linked this on 4/15 below.....RTDT: Read The Damn Thing

Jackson
04-20-05, 18:54
OTH,

What are you talking about?

Thanks,

Jackson

One Tree Hill
04-20-05, 19:58
OTH,

What are you talking about?

Thanks,

Jackson

I was picking with Stormy, I gave the link below on 4/15.

Actually Somerset beat me to it on the same day. :)

Codeman
04-29-05, 22:22
Continental has applied to begin non-stop service between Houston and Buenos Aires starting November 1.

Daddy Rulz
04-30-05, 04:16
Everybody that adds seats free's up seats for those of us that fly as non-revs. Buy American, Continental, Delta, Southern Winds please, pretty please.

Jaimito Cartero
04-30-05, 04:49
Competition is good! With luck, they'll fly the 757 which will allow free upgrades. :)

Codeman
05-01-05, 01:27
767's: The same type Continental uses on their Brazil flights. You probably meant that as the 767 is bigger than the 757.

Jaimito Cartero
05-01-05, 02:39
767's: The same type Continental uses on their Brazil flights. You probably meant that as the 767 is bigger than the 757.

No, I mean the somewhat smaller 757's that allow free upgrades. I'd even take a 737-800 or 900. The 767's and other widebodies do NOT allow free upgrades.

Codeman
05-01-05, 03:56
Ahh, thanks for the correction, Jaimito. I wasn't aware of that! Continental will use their 767's, so no luck on that end.

Sportsman
05-01-05, 15:11
I think free upgrades are more so based on the routes rather than the type of planes they fly. I know United, US Airways, and NW have unlimited free upgrades on the domestic routes for their frequent flyers regardless what type of planes. On the other hand, the international free upgrades are very limited.

El Aleman
05-02-05, 08:49
At my experience, free upgrades depend mainly on 2 things: seat availability and how much the check in girl likes you. I have seen it all, from getting it offered without even asking to no way, even for cash.

A good, however a bit risky, strategy seems to be not to get a seat assignment when buying your ticket, and checking in not too early at the business class counter, waving your frequent flyer card. The risk is, if business is full, or the chica does not like you, you end up on the shittiest coach seat that's left over...

El Alemán

Jaimito Cartero
05-02-05, 13:48
I get most of my upgrades previous to flight check-in. I will try and fly on routes that have free international upgrades. There aren't too many out there anymore.

Most require certain high fares for a coach ticket, and then a bunch of miles in each direction.

If you fly Continental or Copa and are a Continental elite (Silver/Gold/Plat), you will get free upgrades if there are available seats, for eligible routes. So my trip last week, LAX-EWR-LIM (Los Angeles to Newark to Lima, Peru) were all on elibile aircraft. Generally, as long as it's not a widebody (767, 777) you're fine.

If you're at the highest level of elite membership, if the plane is full, or overbooked (as intimated by El Aleman), they will generally upgrade those members first.

The last method works sometimes as well, and that's trying to sweet talk the agent. This works best at a airline's club, or at the gate. It hardly ever works at check in.

Sportsman
05-30-05, 23:36
Well, after a lot of clicking and cursing and refreshing and clicking again, I have been able to redeem my frequent flyer miles, and will be arriving in Buenos Aires on the wings of desire (er..make that United Airlines!) in the morning of March 25th. I know it is a long way off, but I am a nerd, and like to do things well in advance.

Above quote is a partial posting from Tbird in the cell phone rental thread.

Most of my airline miles are with US Airways. Last week I tried to book a reward business or first class ticket to EZE for a long weekend (leaving WED or THU and returning on MON or TUE) on United, being it is part of the Star Alliance network. I searched for availability on United website and does not appear to have a single busniess nor first class ticket available for the next 11 months (the furthest ahead you can book a ticket) unless using double miles. I found only 3 dates available in coach between January and March of next year.

I thought US Airways are bad with reward ticket, but at least with them chances are good in the off season and given plenty of lead time. UNITED REALLY SUCKS WITH THEIR REWARD TICKETS!!!

Looks like the only realistic way to get reward ticket to EZE on United is paying double the mileage (80K for coach, 150K for business, and 200K for first).

Sportsman

Tbird
05-31-05, 00:16
Looks like the only realistic way to get reward ticket to EZE on United is paying double the mileage (80K for coach, 150K for business, and 200K for first).

Sportsman

Not quite double for coach, 50,000 miles as opposed to 80,000, but still... In fact, I looked at their site a week ago, and the original dates (1/24 to 1/31) were available on the saver level. Three days later NOTHING was available on saver except the dates I found in March. NOTHING. I just did not want to zero out my account completely, I only had 81,500....

Tbird
05-31-05, 00:19
Continental has applied to begin non-stop service between Houston and Buenos Aires starting November 1.

This is great...except my CO miles are spoken for. I need regular doses of Colombia.

Daddy Rulz
05-31-05, 01:17
But for us non rev travelers it's good news.

Sportsman
05-31-05, 01:47
But for us non rev travelers it's good news.

DR,
Can you explain why airlines prefer to leave their seats empty rather than allowing their frequent flyers to cash in their miles as stand-by during off season? I have heard flights to EZE are half empty this time of the year.

Hunt99
05-31-05, 01:51
Above quote is a partial posting from Tbird in the cell phone rental thread.

Most of my airline miles are with US Airways. Last week I tried to book a reward business or first class ticket to EZE for a long weekend (leaving WED or THU and returning on MON or TUE) on United, being it is part of the Star Alliance network. I searched for availability on United website and does not appear to have a single busniess nor first class ticket available for the next 11 months (the furthest ahead you can book a ticket) unless using double miles. I found only 3 dates available in coach between January and March of next year.

I thought US Airways are bad with reward ticket, but at least with them chances are good in the off season and given plenty of lead time. UNITED REALLY SUCKS WITH THEIR REWARD TICKETS!!!

Sportsman

Instead of looking online, call the airline award phone line directly, and you'll stand a 400% better chance of getting what you want than the way you're doing now. Though on a few occasions I have come up empty, when trying to use my miles on a business or first class ticket, I have had much more success than just plain economy.

And if you're wanting to fly United, stick to paying miles for business class unless only first is available. They fly 767s down to Argentina, and first on those planes isn't much better than business. Unlike their 777s and 747s, which have flat beds in First, which are light-years ahead of the traditional business class seat.

Daddy Rulz
05-31-05, 13:53
First Hunt couldn't be more correct, on a United 767 the only difference between first and business is the seats are electric with a little more pitch and the footrest comes up a little higher, they also have a personal video player. Stick to business first just isn't worth it. Oh yes you get TWO pillows compared to the ONE pillow you get in business.

Sportsman in answer to your question: Who the fuck knows why yield managment does any of the fucking things they do. Those levels are set by fucks that only look at computers and probably don't even know they are talking about an airplane. They are the same idiots that publish round trip fares for $199.00 for a Y seat round trip from Dallas to San Diego leaving the day before Christmas coming back the day after New Years when the trips couldn't be more fucking oversold and we are giving people more money than that to get off of planes.

My guess would be a combination of factors though. To save room for people using upgrades they paid for (more revenue) also a lot of those seats have been sold in advance to priceline et al so they have actually made money on them. They also throw around this idea of not diluting the value of the product alot. The thinking being that if people don't pay cash for C and F then in their mind the Value of that product goes down.

Could also be that a bunch of those number crunching geeks are planning a trip to BsAs to fuck Rosa Maria.

Daddy's advice would be this, buy a domestic ticket to Miami then fly on Aerolinas Argentina or Southern Winds. They both still hire F/A's by the time honored hotness tests and the cabins aren't full of fat assed ugly old cows and sassy queens but rather a preview of what you will be finding when you get to BsAs. Also if you speak Spanish you could probably get some phone numbers. I know the hotel where they Southern Winds crews stay and all the young F/A's are very friendly and I have gone out with a few of them. It may cost you more but then there will be a seat for me on the Fat Cow airline and at least one of us will be happy, perhaps both if you get one of those numbers I mentioned.

Dickhead
05-31-05, 15:18
Sounds like someone is rather bitter about all those pay cuts.

Jaimito Cartero
05-31-05, 15:38
Sounds like someone is rather bitter about all those pay cuts.

I'd say they're more pissed about getting their pension plan turned over to the Fed's this month. What's a little pay cut? From 120k a year to 39k or so for some pilots.

One thing that is very important to do is to know when they release the free tickets. Many carriers are at 330 days, some at 350. I always try and book at the first available day, especially for business class fares.

I'm familiar with CO and NW for most of my tickets, but the system is similar for most of them.

Make sure you check out partner flights. The option I used last year was to fly on Copa to EZE. Not the greatest of option, you fly on a 737, but it is first class and the service is pretty good. It was only 70k miles at the time, so I wasn't too disappointed.

If I recall correctly, AA, DL and UA are the American flagged carriers going to EZE right now. CO to come down in November. I know that you can fly Varig, TAM, Lan and a few others as well. (You could also get a reward trip to Montevideo, and just deplane in EZE. This would *probably* work going there, but you'd probably have to go to Montevideo on the return. They will often have a reward ticket going past your destination, but not to it. Weird yield management stuff. )

I noticed when I left a week and a half ago that Gol is now flying from Brazil to EZE. You could get a reward ticket to Sao Paolo or Rio, and then take a cheap flight on Gol for the rest of the trip.

Stormy
06-01-05, 12:03
The last United Chicago to BA nonstop will be June 6. It seems that United was not able to negotiate a new deal with the company who leases them the aircraft
so they (United) have to give the airplanes back. There will still be service on United through Washington. This was according to the Chicago Tribune today.

I really enjoyed that nonstop.

Daddy Rulz
06-01-05, 14:05
For the past two years United has gone to one flight a day from IAD in our summer/BsAs winter due the sharp decline in demand at theat time of year. The last two years they said it was because of low pax count. This year I think they said it was due to losing the planes so they can fuck us again in court. I'm pretty sure they will add it back again in Sept/Oct. Right now we are filling up the planes to the Orient, Viet Nam mostly.

I recon I am a little bitter about the pay cuts. What any of you Republicans on this board should be pissed about (us fiscally conservative Dems are pissed allready) is that the court wouldn't allow the Union to take over and administer the pension at no cost to the taxpayer. The court seemed to think that a better idea was to put a 6 billion dollar burden on the tax payer with other airlines to shortly follow suit.

As far as Jamito's suggestion of using the hidden city to get a reward flight I would really advize against it. The airlines have managed to get that activity included in interstate fraud and will, not can, but will cancel your return and charge you 100% of the full fare for your return. I'm not totaly sure they can do that on an international flight but I will check at work today and get back to you guys. I've seen this happen many, many times domesticly and people are always ever so suprised when they find out their return will cost them $2000.00 or more for a flight that cost them $99.00 on the outbound. Airlines really suck and have many, many lawyers.

Jaimito Cartero
06-01-05, 15:03
Yes, definitely make sure that any hidden city type thing is checked out. If you were using FF miles, they might freeze your account. It wouldn't work on the outbound, so it's a very mixed bag.

However, if you can't find an award, Montevideo is pretty darn close. I don't know if any low cost carriers fly inbetween them or not.

Perhaps if they stopped giving away free flights to employees that would improve their bottom line. :)

Daddy Rulz
06-01-05, 15:30
I have to pay all of $130.00 each way for first class. However whan too many of you fucks are flying and the plane is full I end up holding my dick at the airport wishing I had bought a ticket.

As the pussy god gives so does he take.

I'll check about the hidden city and post it upon my return to the family manse this eve.

Jaimito Cartero
06-01-05, 19:00
I have to pay all of $130.00 each way for first class. However whan too many of you fucks are flying and the plane is full I end up holding my dick at the airport wishing I had bought a ticket.

As the pussy god gives so does he take.

I'll check about the hidden city and post it upon my return to the family manse this eve.

Well you pay the taxes on them, or a bit more. I'd take a $260 RT ticket any day of the week. I wouldn't work for an airline to do it though.

I'm sure that they'll figure a way to screw you out of it soon enough though. You have my symphathy. I wouldn't want to work in the airline biz these days.

Sportsman
06-01-05, 23:27
The last United Chicago to BA nonstop will be June 6. It seems that United was not able to negotiate a new deal with the company who leases them the aircraft
so they (United) have to give the airplanes back. There will still be service on United through Washington. This was according to the Chicago Tribune today.

That explains the strange things I have been seeing past couple of days. All the sudden flights 854 and 856 for the next few months disappeared from United and all the travel booking websites. I am booked on those flights for my July trip. I called United today and was told the flights are still scheduled in fact they are fully booked. I will call again to comfirm the status.

Sportsman
06-02-05, 00:25
Just got off the phone with United. My Chicago to BA flight in fact has been canceled. I rebooked on the flight out of Dulles. Now my outbound flight instead of only a two hour layover in Chicago (which I think it's perfect timing since I usually do not feel comfortable with a really short layover being having missed an international flight in the past becasue of delay from the first leg), I had a choice of a flight to Washington with an hour layover or one with over four hours layover to the EZE connection. I played it safe and booked the latter one. I hope IAD has a nice Red Carpet Club. The return flights are not much different from the original Itinerary. I also lose out on about 2000 miles on my Frequent Flyer account because of this routing change. :mad:

Daddy Rulz
06-02-05, 03:30
Do not, Do not, Do not book a milage ticket to Montevideo and get off in BsAs unless you do ALL of these things.
Do not check any bags you can not short check bags only carry on. When you return you MUST start in Montevideo. You may still end up getting your trip canceled but if you check in for the flight in Montevideo the argument would be "What do you mean I didn't fly from EZE to here, I sat in that stupid airport for 2 hours and got on the plane and got off here, its your machine that is fucked up."

However they may still screw you when they see your passport and see the entrance stamp for Argentina on the day you said you flew to Montevideo. You may be able to be an American asshole and get away with it but Daddy really doesn't think so. The waiters advice is to go to MVD if that is the only milage fare available, have some fun and take the ferry over and back to leave the country.

Sportsmen there is both a Red Carpet club and a First Class lounge near the gate for 847 (or 846) in the C concourse. Usually 847 leaves out of gate C-6 but lately was going out of C12. If you pm me with the flight you arrive in IAD I can direct you if you are unfamiliar with the airport. On your return I would suggest you give yourself a minimum of 3 hours between connections. Immigration at IAD sucks first you walk a mile to get to the fucking shuttle bus from the plane and invariably you get stuck at the back of the bus, then wait an hour at passport control. Then you have to get your bags back to United and clear security after customs and then go BACK to the concourse you just left. Sometimes where you return your bags there will be a United agent handing out expedite passes for TSA, sometimes not. If you can get one get it.

Tbird
06-02-05, 15:35

Ooops! that's my routing for March! (BWI-ORD-EZE). I guess they will have to put me on a flight out of IAD...which is better for me, anyway.

Sportsman
06-02-05, 22:09
Ooops! that's my routing for March! (BWI-ORD-EZE). I guess they will have to put me on a flight out of IAD...which is better for me, anyway.

Not necessary, the ORD to EZE flight is still on the schedule for dates after Dec 04, at least for the time being.

Looks like my IAD to EZE flight in July is fully booked now. It does not show up on any travel web site. I'm lucky to have gotten an aisle seat in Economy Plus.

Daddy Rulz
06-03-05, 04:31
Hmm... Oh yes, that's that area behind business, I had forgotten all about it.

I'll probably be stuck back there now on my next ten trips now for being an asshole. Fellow Mongerers do not be of faint heart, I'm telling you they will add the second flight again around September/October. They do this every year. I really think the reposession news is more to have leverage to fuck me at the bargaining table.

Sportsman
06-07-05, 00:24
Do not, Do not, Do not book a milage ticket to Montevideo and get off in BsAs unless you do ALL of these things.
Do not check any bags you can not short check bags only carry on. When you return you MUST start in Montevideo. You may still end up getting your trip canceled but if you check in for the flight in Montevideo the argument would be "What do you mean I didn't fly from EZE to here, I sat in that stupid airport for 2 hours and got on the plane and got off here, its your machine that is fucked up."

However they may still screw you when they see your passport and see the entrance stamp for Argentina on the day you said you flew to Montevideo. You may be able to be an American asshole and get away with it but Daddy really doesn't think so. The waiters advice is to go to MVD if that is the only milage fare available, have some fun and take the ferry over and back to leave the country.

Daddy Rulz,

If it is true that it may be easier to get a free ticket to Montevideo via BA than only to BA but you do not recommend just getting off the plane at BA, do you think this approach will work:

Take flight 855 from ORD to EZE (7:40 pm to 11:45 am), continue on flight 847 from EZE to Montevideo (12:50 pm to 1:30 pm). Then start the return leg the same day on flight 846 from Montevideo to EZE (7:15 pm to 8:05 pm), ask for a layover at EZE (assuming that is allowed. I know US Airways allows a layover for overseas reward ticker at no extra cost, don’t know about United). Stay at BA until ready to go home on flight 854 (8:45 to 5:10 am).

The bad part about this is obviously the “outbound” trip is over 8 hours longer, which makes a very long trip.

Any comments?

Sportsman

Dickhead
06-07-05, 00:40
I just flew from BA to Montevideo on United and it only cost $74.50 round trip or "return" if you are a Brit or an Ozzie, or "ida y vuelta" en castellano, including taxes and the $5 Travelocity fee, plus about $37 in airport taxes, so an option could be just to get the award to MDE and fly to EZE. However I am not sure if the fare would be the same MDE-EZE as it was EZE-MDE. The flight was fuckin' empty in both directions, though, so I imagine it wouldn't be too expensive. Or, you could take the Buquebus bus/boat combo and probably do it even cheaper. You can get from the airport in MDE to the Buquebus terminal in Tres Cruces for 22 pesos Uruguayan which is about 85 cents US. Just walk outside the terminal to the bus stop, get on the first bus that says "Montevideo," and get off in Tres Cruces. Piece of cake.

Daddy Rulz
06-07-05, 02:26
Don't really know, international ticketing rules are so fucking complex (it's kind of like the tax code, nobody really understands it that's why we can get away with fucking so many people). What you propose I see know problem with so long as you can book it. Let me add imaginary dates to see if I understand you correctly.

04 Jul 855 ORD-EZE/ 05 Jul 847 EZE-MVD/ 05 Jul MVD-EZE then some undetermined amount of time in BsAs say until 19 Jul 854 EZE-ORD. I don't see a problem with it if you can book it. My suspicion is that there will be some fare rule that disallows it. But if you can get away with it I'm all for it.

Here's an idea if you can't get an award ticket for the specific dates. Try to use your miles on a code share. Varig flys from MIA I think so you could use miles for ORD-MIA-GRU (Sau Paulo)-EZE and return. The itin sucks but it might get you there. I think Mexicana still does MEX-EZE but Mexicana is a code share not Star Alliance anymore so it might not work. Being an employee that doesn't do a lot of international ticketing I'm not fully up to speed and I could give a shit about miles for personal travel. But AC flying ORD-YYZ-EZE would. This would limit you to Y class and might be a SHITLOAD of miles but is worth investigating. Now another alternative is to find a corruptable UAL employee that will work out a deal with a travel pass....

Dickhead
06-07-05, 02:28
"corruptable UAL employee"

Isn't that redundant?

Daddy Rulz
06-07-05, 13:21
No, I have never sold my passes nor do I expect to start. However I do know that some people do.

Sportsman
06-07-05, 21:59
Daddy Rulz,

04 Jul 855 ORD-EZE/ 05 Jul 847 EZE-MVD/ 05 Jul MVD-EZE then some undetermined amount of time in BsAs say until 19 Jul 854 EZE-ORD.
Yes, this is the type of itinerary I had in mind. I am still debating because the “outbound” trip is very long.

But AC flying ORD-YYZ-EZE would. This would limit you to Y class and might be a SHITLOAD of miles but is worth investigating.
I was offered AC flight to EZE via YYZ with a stop in Santiago, Chile. This flight arrives EZE around 2 pm. The return flight leaves EZE in the morning with a long layover in Santiago before leaving for YYZ in the evening. I could have gotten business class for the outbound flight only, but with coach for the return trip. However, the cost still would have been 80K miles even though I am getting busniess class for the outbound flight only.

Thanks for the feedback, I will continue to investigate ways to cash in my miles to the paradise!!! In the meantime, I just have to pay for it.

Sportsman

ChicagoBoy23
06-09-05, 21:24
Discount airlines

hit latin america

as travelers flock to region,

cheap options proliferate;

rio to são paulo: $20

by amy chozick

staff reporter of the wall street journal

June 8, 2005; page d1

the discount-airline craze that has transformed travel in the u. S., europe and asia, is starting to take off in latin america.

Until recently, travelers covering long distances in countries like brazil, mexico, and peru had either to take expensive full-fare flights -- often offered only by small charter carriers -- or else hop aboard a bone-jarring long-distance bus. However, a fast-growing class of discount airlines is starting to establish itself as an alternative. In the past year or so, at least four budget airlines have started offering service or have added cross-border flights serving not only major cities but tourist spots as well. Modeled on discounters like ireland's ryanair and u. S.-based southwest airlines, the upstart latin carriers are offering fares as low as $20 between são paulo and rio de janeiro. In some cases, promotional one-way teaser fares have been less than a dollar.

Several new carriers are about to join the fray. In July, mexicana, mexico's leading international carrier, plans to launch click, a budget airline that will offer domestic routes from mexico city to popular but tough-to-reach beach towns like ixtapa on the west coast and puerto escondido, a onetime surfing hot spot now popular among nonsurfers drawn by its pristine beaches. Click also will take over mexicana's routes to popular caribbean spots such as cancún and playa del carmen, and is expected to apply discount-airline pricing formulas to them.

In December, brazilian startup gol linhas aéreas inteligentes sa launched service to buenos aires from são paulo with promotional fares starting around $167 (the lowest fare the brazilian government would permit at the time) each way, compared with $300 or so on the country's major carriers. This month, the no-frills airline -- expect cold snacks and economy seats -- will begin flights to santa cruz, bolivia, and also says it plans to add service to the capitals of uruguay and paraguay in the next few months.

The new airline competition corresponds with a surge in tourism to the region. With the the euro still strong against the dollar, u. S. Citizens are flocking south. While the u. S. Dollar has decreased by about 10% against the euro over the past two years, it has gained 7% against the mexican peso. In nicaragua, the dollar has been so strong against the córdoba that a night in a luxury hotel currently goes for about $15 to $25.

The relative bargains are driving up travel. International arrivals to central america are growing by nearly 11% a year, according to a study last year by the world trade organization. Tourism to belize has increased by 50% over the past five years, primarily due to new interest among cruise lines. Peru expects more than a million tourists this year and two million annually by 2010.

Flights to salvador, brazil, on gol's nighttime service -- nicknamed corujoes, or 'owls' -- are as low as $65 one way.

The carriers can offer substantial savings and convenience for travelers who know what to look for. Nature air in costa rica is serving new destinations like drake bay, a wilderness resort town on the beach that used to require a six-hour drive and two-hour boat ride to reach from san josé. (flight time: 40 minutes.) tikal jets has made it easier to reach guatemala's famed tikal ruins for $99 each way.

Air travel in the region has a reputation for being rough around the edges: lengthy delays are commonplace, and government oversight in the past tended to keep prices sky-high, until a recent wave of deregulation. While traveling on the discounters May be cost-effective, it can cause headaches for vacationers unfamiliar with the region. Some carriers use major airports, but others fly into out-of-the-way landing strips with little or no infrastructure. Costa rica's nature air, for instance, uses an old sandinista airstrip on its route between san josé and granada, nicaragua. Some little airports May make announcements only in spanish or portuguese. And on gol, the most affordable flights are offered as part of its night service. Nicknamed corujões (or "owls" in portuguese), these flights operate between 1 a. M. And 5 a. M.

The budget-airline movement in latin america comes at a time when discount carriers are dramatically reshaping the airline industry around the world. In the u. S., discounter southwest airlines has become one of the fastest-growing domestic carriers, expanding in recent years into nonstop transcontinental routes.

In europe, traditional airlines have lost market share to budget carriers such as ryanair and easyjet. Last month, iberia, spain's largest airline, announced that it would consider buying or creating a low-cost carrier of its own. In asia, competition among discounters is so heated that flights on popular routes such as hong kong to singapore have sunk as low as $25 each way.

The expansion of discounters in south america is happening as aviation officials are making it easier for carriers to add flights across borders. In May, regulators in peru and brazil signed an agreement to allow 28 flights a week between the two countries, more than triple the current quota of eight flights a week. A new peruvian airline, wayra peru, is expected to enter the market as early as this month, serving 12 peruvian cities including cuzco, the town closest to the machu picchu ruins.

The new airlines are primarily targeting the millions of middle- and lower-middle class latin americans fed up with shelling out for bumpy, cramped 10-hour-plus bus rides between cities -- trips that can cost as much as $75 to $100 on some routes.

However, the new airlines are aimed at foreign tourists as well. U. S.-based travelers can buy tickets on these carriers' own web sites, which typically have english options and allow bookings with major credit cards. Some of the airlines offer hotel and car-rental packages aimed at tourists. Tikal jets offers discounts at the radisson and grand tikal futura hotels in guatemala city when tickets are bought through the carrier's web site.

Almost none of these carriers is listed on the big online travel agencies like travelocity or orbitz.

Mexicana's click plans to offer code-share agreements with several carriers from abroad that will allow international travelers to transfer to click flights. Click says its site, clickmexicana. Com, will have an english option when it is launched in July.

Airlines remain a relative luxury in south america. According to avgroup inc., a miami-based aviation consultant, fewer than 10% of the 500 million people in latin america and the caribbean travel by air.

Brazil's gol airline -- named after the portuguese word for "goal" in soccer -- was founded by the family that controls the country's biggest bus-travel company. It was launched in 2001 with just six planes traveling to seven destinations within brazil. It now has 32 planes and flies to 40 airports.

Some carriers use smaller planes in their fleets. Nature air's aircraft are mostly 19-seat twin-engine planes. Tikal jets operates dc-9s, and gol uses boeing 737-700s. Civil-aviation authorities in south america require the budget airlines to meet the same aviation standards as established carriers.

Like many of the new discounters, nature air offers online booking and special web-only discounts on its web site, www.natureair.com. Tikal Jets, Guatemala's national carrier, doesn't consider itself a low-cost carrier, but nevertheless it's targeting the low-fare end of the market as it expands. The airline, which also serves destinations in Belize and Cuba, offers special hotel/airfare package deals on its Web site, tikaljets.com.

Gol's Web site, www.voegol.com, has listed low-cost teaser fares in an effort to build buzz. For instance, some special fares between rio and são paulo have been listed as low as $20 each way, not including taxes or fees, compared with $160 or so, round trip, on major carriers. The airline currently accepts only american express for online international purchases, and u. S. Travelers can't print electronic tickets.

Gol's night-owl fares sometimes even undercut the price of bus tickets. For instance, a four-hour night flight from rio to the popular tourist city of salvador starts at $65 each way. By comparison, a first-class bus trip (which takes about 24 hours) would cost about $70 each wa

Daddy Rulz
06-10-05, 04:57
Please don't string an itin from larado to bsas on everyone of these carriers. I can see it allready "but daddy I can save $14.00 if I fly laredo-ixtapa-df-managua-san jose-david-bogota-cuzco-la paz-corrientos-rosario-jorge newberry and it's only on 9 different carriers and took 4 days.

I can see your face in baggage service. "what do you mean my bag is in samoa?"

Miami Bob
06-10-05, 11:13
Is aerolinas the only carrier now? I don't want to take the bus. I don't like the aeolinas non-argentine national's higher tiicket prices. Is there another choice? I'll be traveling in July, 2005.

Daddy Rulz
06-10-05, 14:52
No gringo premium, hot hot hot flight attendants and by buying a ticket you can also support the international drug trade.

ChicagoBoy23
06-16-05, 20:44
I have to drop somebody off at airport for 4:00 pm flight. Mine does not leave until 9:30 pm.

Anybody have any suggestions on where I could go to monger near airport on a Sunday to kill the time???

Thanks in advance

Dickhead
06-16-05, 20:51
I don't understand why you would "have to" drop anyone off at the airport but that is plenty of time to take the MTL bus back downtown, monger for a while, and get back. San Martín 793 3A is open Sundays, for example, and that is right across from Orleans, and both are very close to the MTL station. The MTL takes about ten fewer minutes on a Sunday as compared to Monday through Friday.

Prosal
06-17-05, 08:01
Guys

What are the choices to flight directly from BA to Lima or Bogota ?

Thanks.

David_33
06-17-05, 12:43
LAN to Lima

Prosal
06-17-05, 15:48
David thanks.

What could be the approximative cost of a one way ticket ?

David_33
06-17-05, 15:59
I just got a super deal on a roundtrip Lima-BA-Lima for under $300 including Peruvian taxes (around 20%). Go to the LAN site and check it out. But purchase in the States, on the net, not in S.A. and avoid the local taxes.

http://www.lan.com/index.html

Better check with an expert (there are some on the forum)...like Jaimito, because it looks to me like a one way costs more than round trip. Good luck.

Sportsman
06-22-05, 00:17
After weeks of trying, hours online, and numerous phone calls, finally I got my business class award ticket on United! And it’s not through any hidden SA city either, direct to EZE via IAD on the way down and ORD coming back. The catch, it is not until Jan 06. I probably will have 3 paid trips between now and this freebie. I’m staying at Sheraton Libartador next week for the first time. If I like the hotel, I’ll use my Starwood Points again for a free room there. Now only if I can find some free p***ies would make this an ultimate trip. :D

Jaimito Cartero
06-22-05, 04:58
Looks like about $320 for RT LIM-EZE on LAN. Not bad for a 4 hour or so flight. It's too bad Gol doesn't fly there, or it would be half the price.

I didn't find anything cheaper, although I will say that many low price carriers aren't easily found on the internet. Direct is nice sometimes.

MrNewYork
06-28-05, 03:36
If you are tired of searching Expedia or specific airlines and punching in locations and dates like I was, then another possible option might be skyauction. Com. I recently bid and won a rount trip ticket form NYC to Buenos Aires for 605 US Dollars. I thought that was a pretty decent price because the airlines are charging around 900 US dollars from NYC these days. Although I happen to be a very skeptical person I am starting to believe I will get the tickets because they confirmed travel dates and gave me a ups tracking number. I will keep you informed and let everyone know how my SkyAcution experince ended.

Sportsman
06-28-05, 21:13
if you are tired of searching Expedia or specific airlines and punching in locations and dates like I was, then another possible option might be Skyauction.com. I recently bid and won a rount trip ticket form NYC to Buenos Aires for 605 US dollars. I thought that was a pretty decent price because the airlines are charging around 900 US dollars from NYC these days. Although I happen to be a very skeptical person I am starting to believe I will get the tickets because they confirmed travel dates and gave me a ups tracking number. I will keep you informed and let everyone know how my skyacution experince ended.That sounds like similar operations as Priceline and Hotwire. Were you notify the exact airline and flight numbers before purchasing? And is your ticket eligible to earn frequent flyer mileage? Priceline and Hotwire tickets usually are not eligible.

MrNewYork
06-29-05, 04:42
That sounds like similar operations as Priceline and Hotwire. Were you notify the exact airline and flight numbers before purchasing? And is your ticket eligible to earn frequent flyer mileage? Priceline and Hotwire tickets usually are not eligible.Sportsman, I think it is very similar to those operations except that it's more of a horse and ass pony show run out of Madison ave in NYC. I found this http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports/Default.aspx?id=65816 from a post on another form and it looks like they get a ton of complaints. Makes me wonder why I bid.

On a more promising note, the plane tickets were delivered in the mail today and they look real enough. There was also a note telling me to confirm with my airline 72 hours before departure in case of cancellations or delays. We will see if I ever make it to ba.

To answer your?'s I was notified during the auction that the winner would be flying on argentine aerolinas but not given flight number be / c the auction was for a trip "anytime from now till march 2006". The frequent flier mileage has not been determined yet, and I don't know how I am going to apply for it. There is a chance I might get some ff credit when I check in at the airport with my tickets or maybe I will get retro credit after the trip. Even though I've never flown argentine aerolinas before I just singed up for their program and I will try to get some miles and I will let you know what happend.

Peace out

Daddy Rulz
06-29-05, 06:06
When you buy these unbelievable low fares one of the things you give up is protection. When you buy a priceline ticket there is no "fare value" on the ticket, it says "bulk" in place of the fare. If nothing goes wrong no problem but if something bad happens, cancelled flight, broken airplane etc. Then the airline your traveling on can't really move you to another as your ticket has no value.

Rule 7 something D of the IATA agreements says that one the same day of travel AA can move you to another IATA member airline for the face value of your ticket. If your ticket has no face value (priceline, travelocity et al) then the contracted carrier has to reissue the ticket for the full Y fare. Since they sold that seat last year to priceline based on unused capacity for a couple hundred dollars they will not (unless I'm on the counter and you have SPECTACULAR hooters on display, none of you qualify) turn around and essentially buy a walkup fare for you. Have there been instances where people have been rebooked, yes. Can you count on it, no? Why? Because when you buy a priceline ticket on Delta, YOU are not a Delta customer, YOU are a PRICELINE customer, priceline is Delta's customer.

The terms and conditions that most people don't read stipulate that the contracted carrier is not obligated to rebook you on anything if your flight doesn't go REGARDLESS of the reason. The airline sold space to the Internet travel agency for that flight, that day, and nothing more. Again the long suffering over abused airline Joe (me) may choose to help you, but he (me) is not obligated to. (Hint people who fucking yell at me get pricelines fucking 800 number and I call the next person in line) Most Airlines will rebook you on their next available flight no problem. Sometimes that may be days later though. It's always a trade off price / flexibility.

Is all of this a big deal? Not really unless your in ATL, DFW, ORD, IAD, MIA, JFK and starting in November IAH and the gate agent says "sorry folks we have a small problem with the plane" then your sweating. None of you better ever say that nobody told you because Daddy just did. If you want to gamble that's fine, but don't b1tch when you flip a set and the other guys got a flush, you made the bet when you called it.

While I'm on my rant, the asshole (who may not be a member of this board) that was bitching to me about not knowing you need a visa for Brazil (I know this is Argentina but I'm on a roll) do you need somebody to tell you to wipe your ass after you take a shit as well. Jesus I can't fucking stand adults that refuse to be responsible for their own ignorance and refuse to educate themselves.

Hope this helps.

MrNewYork
06-29-05, 06:38
When you buy these unbelievable low fares one of the things you give up is protection. When you buy a priceline ticket there is no "fare value" on the ticket, it says "bulk" in place of the fare. If nothing goes wrong no problem but if something bad happens, cancelled flight, broken airplane etc. Then the airline your traveling on can't really move you to another as your ticket has no value.

Rule 7 something D of the IATA agreements says that one the same day of travel AA can move you to another IATA member airline for the face value of your ticket. If your ticket has no face value (priceline, travelocity et al) then the contracted carrier has to reissue the ticket for the full why fare. Since they sold that seat last year to priceline based on unused capacity for a couple hundred dollars they will not (unless I'm on the counter and you have SPECTACULAR hooters on display, none of you qualify) turn around and essentially buy a walkup fare for you. Have there been instances where people have been rebooked, yes. Can you count on it, no? Why? Because when you buy a priceline ticket on Delta, YOU are not a Delta customer, YOU are a PRICELINE customer, priceline is Delta's customer.

The terms and conditions that most people don't read stipulate that the contracted carrier is not obligated to rebook you on anything if your flight doesn't go REGARDLESS of the reason. The airline sold space to the Internet travel agency for that flight, that day, and nothing more. Again the long suffering over abused airline Joe (me) may choose to help you, but he (me) is not obligated to. (Hint people who fucking yell at me get pricelines fucking 800 number and I call the next person in line) Most Airlines will rebook you on their next available flight no problem. Sometimes that may be days later though. It's always a trade off price / flexibility.

Is all of this a big deal? Not really unless your in ATL, DFW, ORD, IAD, MIA, JFK and starting in November IAH and the gate agent says "sorry folks we have a small problem with the plane" then your sweating. None of you better ever say that nobody told you because Daddy just did. If you want to gamble that's fine, but don't b1tch when you flip a set and the other guys got a flush, you made the bet when you called it.

While I'm on my rant, the asshole (who may not be a member of this board) that was bitching to me about not knowing you need a visa for Brazil (I know this is Argentina but I'm on a roll) do you need somebody to tell you to wipe your ass after you take a shit as well. Jesus I can't fucking stand adults that refuse to be responsible for their own ignorance and refuse to educate themselves.

Hope this helps.Calm down, why all the hostility?

We all know low risk, low reward / loss. High risk, high reward / loss. As with most, if not all buisness adventures. You are right. These state your own price airfare deals are a gamble. But last week I bought 4 yankees tickets off ebay for 36 dollars including shipping, took a friend, and sold the remaining 2 tix for 40 dollars. So it looks like I'm the one on the roll so why should I stop throwing the dice now, daddy? Anyways, unless you are a lawyer no one will complain to you when things go wrong. In which case you get paid for doing acutual work.

Jaimito Cartero
06-30-05, 04:16
I would agree not to use Priceline or Hotwire for airline tickets, in particular international tickets.

For hotel rooms they're great if you know you're going to be there. However, for air tickets, no knowing what times you're flying, in most cases no FF mileage and the problems if you need to change tickets FAR outweigh the slight savings.

You can find $600 tickets to BA from NYC pretty regularly. AA has sales there a lot. I would not credit any miles to a foreign carrier unless you know you will fly them often. See if they have a US partner, and credit them there. If your ticket is marked Bulk or such, you probably won't get miles anyway.

I often get the same dollar value in mileage from a trip as the ticket cost.

Bacchus9
07-10-05, 22:29
Just came back from a trip to NY that originated in Buenos Aires. BsAs - NY and return via Aerolineas Argentina. I arrived at NY pre-check in at JFK and the Arg attendant starts to go spastic because I'm a US passport flying to Argentina without proof of a return flight. Am I going to have to buy a ticket on the spot? Am I going to be able to make my flight? Anxiety rising!

Fortunately a nice and knowledgeable chica attendant tells him the rule is you can fly without a return as long as you have a credit card or cash proof that you can buy a return ticket if they turn you around and send you back in Argentina. I flash a credit card. She navigated him in his computer to some page that had the rule. End of crisis. On to baggage check in.

If you like staying in Argentina as long as possible when traveling I recommend Aerolineas Argentina. About $100 more than American Air, e. G. But friendly attendants, less of the imperial capitalist marketing, free wine with dinner, you travel with mostly Argentineans and economy seats were surprisingly comfortable / sleepable even if you don't luck out and get a row to yourself.

Daddy Rulz
07-11-05, 15:21
Calm down, why all the hostility?

But last week I bought 4 Yankees tickets off ebay for 36 dollars including shipping, took a friend, and sold the remaining 2 tix for 40 dollars. So it looks like I'm the one on the roll so why should I stop throwing the dice now, Daddy? Anyways, unless you are a lawyer no one will complain to you when things go wrong. In which case you get paid for doing actual work.Hmmm, international airline tickets v 4 tickets to see the Yanks play. Does the stadium often have mechanical problems forcing the cancelation of the game, and if it does are you frequently forced to pay for a hotel room you reserved but won't be using, not to mention the loss of a days vacation?

I'm not generaly a hostile person however people that scream amd swear at me because they chose to not inform themselves generaly piss me off. As far as "actual work" most days I'm tossing bags in 100 plus degree weather, not bitching, I enjoy my job, but I qualify for preforming work. It's usually not the Lawyers but the fat, overindulged gringas that do the screaming. My distaste for them has been amply documented in the "American Woman" section of the WSG.

The point I was trying to make is the Joe at the ticket counter is the one trying to help you, people abuse us on a daily basis (watch Airlines on A & E) we are empowered to do a lot of stuff but we are not required to. The old adage of bitching until you get the boss doesn't really work for my airline anymore, most days I have no supervisor present. Be the one smiling face in a long line of assholes and you may be the one that I rebook in first class on a compeating airline even though you have a Y ticket because that's all that's available. (I did that for a couple going to Australia for their honeymoon last week) Be another one of the assholes telling me I'm incompetant and your going to sue not only the airline but me personally and you will be going home to return in 3 or 4 days because that's the next available why space I have.

As always I remain your humble servant regarding the ins and outs of Airline travel.

Dickhead
07-12-05, 13:13
Re Bacchus' post: I just returned from the US and to CYA I bought my next trip to Uruguay on the boat. When I boarded (Delta) in the US, I said, "I have proof of onward travel within 90 days." They didn't give a shit either way.

Boy are there a lot of fat cows of all ages and genders in the Atlanta airport, where I spent about 8 hours, twice.

Donsat
07-12-05, 17:28
I recently bought a ticket to BA on Delta. ATL to BA was 1150 on delta. LAX to BA via ATL was 678 only. Same flight.

Jaimito Cartero
07-12-05, 18:19
I recently bought a ticket to BA on delta. ATL to BA was 1150 on delta. LAX to BA via ATL was 678 only. Same flight.Yes, competition is great. I think we'll see a 10-20% reduction on some of the high fares ($800+) once CO starts flying in.

I flew the same LAX-ATL-EZE for $389 or $399 on DL in late April. Not my favorite choice, but it's hard to beat the fare. If you don't look at any of the travel forums, I'd recommend setting up a Travelocity.com account, and setting it so that it will email you when the rates drop below a certain point. Most of the super-duper fares last a few days at the most.

Daddy Rulz
07-13-05, 04:28
I could be mistaken, I'll check and edit if I am, Travelosity is one of the few internet travel agency's that give you a ticket with the fare value on the ticket. So you would avoid the problems I mentioned before with priceline. Not 100% sure but pretty sure, it's either travelocity or cheaptickets. Com.

Jaimito Cartero
07-13-05, 16:34
I could be mistaken, I'll check and edit if I am, Travelosity is one of the few internet travel agency's that give you a ticket with the fare value on the ticket. So you would avoid the problems I mentioned before with priceline. Not 100% sure but pretty sure, it's either travelocity or cheaptickets. Com.Are you talking about discount tickets? Travelocity has some $ of coupons sometimes, but not in the line of Site59 or Priceline / Hotwire. All their tickets that I've bought from them always show the pricing in the reservation.

Daddy Rulz
07-14-05, 04:35
JC what I'm talking about is a fare value associated with the ticket. In the priceline TICKET, not on the web site when the price is quoted, but the actual ticket that is issued. Regardless if the ticket is paper or electronic on the lower left there will be what is called the "fare ladder" this is where fare, and taxes are shown seperatly adding up to the total price of the ticket. On a piceline ticket it will look something like this.

Fare BULK.

X tax $22.50

Why tax $23.20

Blah blah blah, a ticket like this is not subject to IATA rule number 720 D (I think thats the number, I don't work the ticket counter much anymore) which is the agreement between IATA airline members to accept each others passengers based on available space during irregular operations. The airline that accepts you agrees to fly you for the face value of your ticket. A priceline ticket has no face value so no other airline has to accept you unless your original airline is willing to reissue the ticket. Then the original airline pays the full fare for the class of service you fly in. This is part of the small print nobody reads on pricelines web site when they buy the ticket.

What you need is this.

Fare $780.00

Xtax $22.50

Ytax blah.

Total fare blah.

Travelocity I believe has a fare value on the ticket I forgot to check at work today so I can't say for sure. You can also run into this problem with some live travel agency's as well.

Most times it's not an issue so I'm not saying NEVER do it. I'm saying be aware that if you purchase a ticket from them and your flight gets fucked up while they are moving other people to another airline you may be stuck. I see it happen every single time ORD or IAD go down due to storms.

Jaimito Cartero
07-14-05, 06:00
I don't know why people use Hotwire or Priceline for airline tickets. I did it once or twice and luckily didn't have any problems. However, no frequent flyer miles, and as you have pointed out, in occassion of irregular ops, you're often SOL.

As for the endorsable ticket, I think you're referring to Rule 240. At least that's what has been written on my ticket when I've had to change airlines during weather or equipment problems.

Punter 127
07-14-05, 19:00
JC what I'm talking about is a fare value associated with the ticket. In the priceline TICKET, not on the web site when the price is quoted, but the actual ticket that is issued. Regardless if the ticket is paper or electronic on the lower left there will be what is called the "fare ladder" this is where fare, and taxes are shown seperatly adding up to the total price of the ticket. On a piceline ticket it will look something like this.

Fare BULK.

X tax $22.50

Why tax $23.20

Blah blah blah, a ticket like this is not subject to IATA rule number 720 D (I think thats the number, I don't work the ticket counter much anymore) which is the agreement between IATA airline members to accept each others passengers based on available space during irregular operations. The airline that accepts you agrees to fly you for the face value of your ticket. A priceline ticket has no face value so no other airline has to accept you unless your original airline is willing to reissue the ticket. Then the original airline pays the full fare for the class of service you fly in. This is part of the small print nobody reads on pricelines web site when they buy the ticket.

What you need is this.

Fare $780.00

Xtax $22.50

Ytax blah.

Total fare blah.

Travelocity I believe has a fare value on the ticket I forgot to check at work today so I can't say for sure. You can also run into this problem with some live travel agency's as well.

Most times it's not an issue so I'm not saying NEVER do it. I'm saying be aware that if you purchase a ticket from them and your flight gets fucked up while they are moving other people to another airline you may be stuck. I see it happen every single time ORD or IAD go down due to storms.Question how can you tell when booking on line what type of ticket you are getting? I have recently booked through Obitz, and there is a dollar amount in the "fare ladder". However I have used other websites in the past and I don't know if they had a dollar amount or if they were bulk, but I did get skymiles from Delta. Is there a way to tell before you book?

Thanks for the info.

Jaimito Cartero
07-14-05, 22:55
If you're using a normal travel search engine (Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia) you should be fine. When you get tickets via Priceline, Hotwire or a consolidator, you may not get miles, and may have problems if you have to reschedule.

Daddy Rulz
07-15-05, 04:35
I would imagine there maybe something in the "terms and conditions" however I don't know. Now that I think of it I think it is Orbitz not Travelosity that has a fare value. Works been crazy and I keep forgetting to go through tickets and look.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Priceline does not.

Check in terms and conditions and see if it says anything about rebooking, resceduling, it may mention 725D or 120 explicitly. I have no experiance buying tickets from them so I don't know. I would be willing to bet if it says you can't earn miles it has no fare but I could be wrong about this as well.

Bandy
07-15-05, 18:35
I would imagine there maybe something in the "terms and conditions" however I don't know. Now that I think of it I think it is Orbitz not Travelosity that has a fare value. Works been crazy and I keep forgetting to go through tickets and look.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Priceline does not.

Check in terms and conditions and see if it says anything about rebooking, resceduling, it may mention 725D or 120 explicitly. I have no experiance buying tickets from them so I don't know. I would be willing to bet if it says you can't earn miles it has no fare but I could be wrong about this as well.Daddy Rulz,

I am not busting your balls when I say that this particular post belongs to WSG Archive classic. I still can not stop laughing. Except for the Priceline comment, every sentence, especially the last one, starts with a pure conviction and ends with a full surrender. Don't get too much riled up on this. If you have a sense of humor you should find your post really amusing. Thanks for making my Friday.

Bandy

Daddy Rulz
07-16-05, 03:46
"Check in terms and conditions and see if it says anything about rebooking, resceduling, it may mention 725D or 120 explicitly. I have no experiance buying tickets from them so I don't know. I would be willing to bet if it says you can't earn miles it has no fare but I could be wrong about this as well."

BECAUSE I don't know I told him to check. I told him this because he asked me a question I was not CERTAIN of the answer to. I don't see how "check in the terms and conditions" qualifies as pure conviction. Something like "If you look in the terms and conditions you will see that" would be an example of, as you say, pure conviction.

The first section started out:

"I would imagine there maybe something in the "terms and conditions" however I don't know."

Now THAT is a bold statement, full of conviction I must say. It's the kind of thing I say when I'm making an educated guess you numb nuts.

Here is a declarative statement. "Brandy, your a fine girl fine, what a good cell b1tch you would make." Or maybe "Bandy you jumped my ass in another section of this forum because you didn't like something I said there. Now your making Rovian statements here in a pitiful attempt to make me look like I'm flip flopping. Do you stay awake at night thinking of these things?

Just curious, were you wearing your Grandma's panties and smearing peanut butter on your wee wee while you were laughing?

Daddy Rulz
07-16-05, 03:59
I confered with a co-worker today about internet tickets. We had no large stack of them to check, it's amazing how few paper tickets you see anymore. She used to work at the international rate desk in ORD and has forgotten more about ticketing than I will ever know. It was her OPINION (note the word opinion brandy) and her RECOLECTION (note that one as well) that both Travelocity and Orbitz generaly have fare value. Orbitz all the time and travelocity most of the time.

Disclamer for my b1tch brandy. Neither of us are CERTAIN about this, it is our considered opinion lacking the ability to PROVE with real data. I BELIEVE we are correct but I can not SWEAR I am.

In the end, I do not know how to make certain you will get the kind of ticket that allows movement when you purchase from a re-seller such as these. However I am not saying you should not buy them. The reason I broached this subject was in order to warn you guys that sometimes you can get fucked at the airport instead of getting fucked at Tres Sargentos. I feel I have raised awareness of this issue and have made a contribution. I have not stated anything I don't know is fact, and when I wasn't sure I mentioned that. Use my advice if you care to. PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Triple Input
07-16-05, 04:14
I am making my first trip to BA during the last week of August. I purchased my ticket through Expedia (like I have on many trips) and havent really had any problems. I am the type of person who likes to pick the times I want to fly, the airline and the type of planes which to me makes a big difference. This time I got an email from Expedia saying my flight has changed. Right then this bummed me out because my original flight was LAX-ORD-EZE, now it was changed to LAX-IAD-EZE. No big to some but it just makes for a longer flight. United changed the time and flight info. So I called Expedia and they where cool on the phone. I told them the new flight wasnt what I wanted and I had researched something new through IAD and asked for a change. Expedia put me on hold, called up United and within 5 minutes my request was granted, no charge at all.

After reading the last week of posts I feel kinda of lucky to not get bumped off the flight to BA to begin with. Guess luck is on my side. Hope it goes the same when I arrive! Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Jaimito Cartero
07-16-05, 07:07
Just curious, were you wearing your Grandma's panties and smearing peanut butter on your wee wee while you were laughing?Rosa Maria does not like being called Grandma.:)

Daddy Rulz
07-16-05, 11:10
We can build up our own little data base.

Triple Input, if you have recieved a paper ticket do you have a fare value on the lower left? You guys can look at your tickets and answer Punters question.

JC your right. If you tell are M I said that I'll have to turn you into a Soprano and I don't mean like Tony.

CityDude
07-16-05, 12:52
Looks like LAX-ORD has been substituted to LAX-IAD - Hmmm; This is Expedia or UA? Normally an Airline will not drastically change a routing this far in advance. Check the buzz on flyertalk on such occurances.

Jaimito Cartero
07-16-05, 16:32
Looks like LAX-ORD has been substituted to LAX-IAD - Hmmm; This is Expedia or UA? Normally an Airline will not drastically change a routing this far in advance. Check the buzz on flyertalk on such occurances.I think that it was mentioned on FT that they are discontinuing the direct flight from ORD. I'm not sure if this is a temporary (seasonal) change or not.

Sky Ryder
07-16-05, 21:44
The ORD- EZE flight on UA was cancelled for the North Americian summer, it is scheduled to return in December. If they had not rerouted you thru IAD you could not have traveled on United to BsAs. I am not sure what changes you made, but I do know that they IAD-EZE portion is exactly the same aircraft your new itenerary was changed to, I am sure the only change is the LAX-IAD portion. Just want to pass along a small piece of advice, if you don't travel a lot to the east coast in the summer. I would not schedule a tight connection for myself late on a summer evening in IAD (or any hub east of the Mississippi) if there is only one flight to my destination (ie. UA flt 847 IAD-EZE is the only UA flight to BsAs) If your flight from LAX encounters weather problems trying to get to IAD, I would be shocked if the flight to BsAs will wait for your arrival, especially traveling on an Expedia ticket.

But hey I could be wrong!

Gandolf50
07-17-05, 01:14
If you are leaving from the west coast you should try Groupo Taca or one of the Lan's (Lann Chile etc.) I have found them to be cheaper and much faster. AA through DFW is not bad either. At all cost stay away from AA through Miami. The airport is torn up, customs & Immagration is overloaded and when you miss your flight they tell you to beso mi coulo! In April I did Lax / SJO (8 hr layover in San jose for a little fun (my idea)) EZE $459! And Groupo Taca is having a promotion for the summer, no overweight charges. Saved me a small fortune.

Gandolf50

Triple Input
07-17-05, 04:30
I have an E ticket (not a paper) so there is no fare value on the bottom.

As Sky Rider said, UA changed there flight to BA so it goes through IAD. It does suck since it is alot easier to go through ORD. I have about 3 hrs between the time I arrive in IAD and when I have to depart. Should be good. I havent had any problems in the last few years with Expedia but there is always a chance. Last year got a ticket from Expedia to Uruguay and it was all good.

Daddy Rulz
07-17-05, 13:59
For the last two years UAL hasn't operated ORD-EZE in N America summer. This ear they said it was due to losing a lease on a plane. I think it's more about load factor. The flight is showing back in December but if past years are an example service should resume around Sept. Oct. The change is due to UAL not expedia.

For us non-revs this fucking sucks as I couldn't get on the fucking plane last night and had to spend the night in DC. Daddy's not happy. Will be trying again tonight.

Sportsman
07-17-05, 19:27
Since UAL canceled the ORD / EZE route, the IAD / EZE flights I took two weeks ago were completed full. Not an empty seat in the plane in both directions. Sorry, more bad news for Daddy Rulz.

Daddy Rulz
07-19-05, 22:02
I got out on Sunday night, though due to an exceptionaly large group of longtime employee I had to fucking ride in coach. Oh the horror.

Tartanarmy
07-20-05, 18:19
Greetings Gentlemen,

I am to work in Campana at the end of September for three - four weeks and hope to meet up with like-minded gents who know the scene and don't mind a newbie hanging on!

Any accommodation suggestions / offers would be greatly appreciated, especially if there are any of my homelanders out there!

Hans25
07-21-05, 19:13
There's an airline called LANCHILE hat has a flight from LAX to EZE with a 3 hour stop in Santigo Chile, it leaves at 2:00 pm and arrives at EZE at 11:30am.

Jaimito Cartero
07-21-05, 22:31
There's an airline called LANCHILE hat has a flight from LAX to EZE with a 3 hour stop in Santigo Chile, it leaves at 2:00 pm and arrives at EZE at 11:30amThat's a bit more time than the Copa flight that stops in PTY. I'm pretty sure it's a more direct flight as well, with a 2 hour or less stopover. All the LAN flights I've seen are pricing higher too.

Sportsman
07-21-05, 23:12
Has anyone purchased ticket from onetravel. Com and airfare. Com? Are they legit and are their tickets eligible for airline miles? The tickets I'm looking at are about $80 - $100 cheaper there than most other mainstream online travel sites like Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz for the same flights and date. With the ability to earn up to 23K miles for each RT ticket, I will only purchase tickets that can earn me miles.

Thanks.

Regulr Travlr
08-01-05, 20:06
I recently had my ball and chain removed (along with a goo portion of my wallet) I am planning on a celebration trip in November around Thanksgiving. I have enough air miles for a US to South America trip. I would like to make the most of my first trip here and spend some time in Buenos Aires. Rio and Sao Paolo.

I need some help with choosing the right gateway city for my international trip and also some recommendations on reliable and reasonable airlines between the cities.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing detailed trip reports shortly.

Easy Go
08-01-05, 21:57
I recently had my ball and chain removed (along with a goo portion of my wallet) I am planning on a celebration trip in November around Thanksgiving. I have enough air miles for a US to South America trip. I would like to make the most of my first trip here and spend some time in Buenos Aires. Rio and Sao Paolo.

I need some help with choosing the right gateway city for my international trip and also some recommendations on reliable and reasonable airlines between the cities.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing detailed trip reports shortly.We need more information.

1. Which airline are your miles on?

2. What are your mongering priorities?

3. How comfortable are you in other countries?

4. Do you speak Spanish or Portuguese?

5. How much time do you have?

6. Where are you flying from?

Caffrey
08-02-05, 04:06

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing detailed trip reports shortly.I did this through American FF miles. Good thing is they are partner with TAM. My routing was dallas - BA (AA) BA - sao polo - Rio (TAM) Rio - Miami -dallas (AA)

Entire trip covered by the FF miles. Good thing it was less FF miles than the normal requirements since it is off-peak. I had a blast in both the locations.

Regulr Travlr
08-02-05, 11:55
We need more information.

1. Which airline are your miles on?

2. What are your mongering priorities?

3. How comfortable are you in other countries?

4. Do you speak Spanish or Portuguese?

5. How much time do you have?

6. Where are you flying from?I will be using Delta miles.

I am primarily interested in outcall services but feel the need to visit the termas and other incall facilities that have been discussed here.

I speak some Spanish, no Portugese.

The trip will probably be about two weeks.

My flight will originate from the Midwest US.

Hope this helps Thanks

Regulr Travlr
08-02-05, 11:59
I forgot to add that for several years I traveled extensively throughout Europe, Israel and Turkey. Although married I did take advantage of this time to monger in every country I visited. Due to a job change in 2002 my travel stopped, along with the mongering. Interestingly enough it also was the beginning of the end of my marriage.

I am sure Dr. Phil would have a field day with this!

Jaimito Cartero
08-02-05, 16:50
I'm not a Delta frequent flyer, but believe their coach reward is 50k miles. I flew coach LAX-ATL-EZE and while not great is was acceptable.

If you're flying out of ORD, you may also want to look at buying your ticket. You'll pay about $600 with taxes if you pick a non peak time. AA and Lan have this pricing right now. Delta is considerably higher.

If you fly LAN or AA, you'd want to sign up for the AA Challenge, which would allow you to become an elite member (and get extra miles and upgrades) with just one long international trip.

I generally try to get 1.5 to 2 cents per mile of value out of my FF miles. If you used 50k for a flight from the US on Delta it would be about 1 cent per mile. I think the Biz class reward is 80-90k. You'd have to ask Dickhead about the comfort level, since I've never flown DL Biz.

Easy Go
08-02-05, 18:12
I will be using Delta miles.

I am primarily interested in outcall services but feel the need to visit the termas and other incall facilities that have been discussed here.

I speak some Spanish, no Portugese.

The trip will probably be about two weeks.

My flight will originate from the Midwest US.

Hope this helps ThanksUnless you have a lot of flexibility, don't assume that you are going to be able to get a Saver ticket. Saver award tickets can be tight. An unrestricted award coach seat to southern South America is 100K on Delta.

The Delta schedule says that Delta will be flying ATL-GIG (Rio) direct starting 1 October. My recomendation would be a week in Rio and a week in BA. While in Rio, you might consider visiting Buzios or another beach town for part of the trip. Definitely try to hook up with some of the regular mongering crowd especially in Rio where local course knowledge really pays off.

In BA, pay attention to the recommendations on the boards. Unless you want the adventure of discovery, you'll do a lot better than picking girls at random from either the clubs or Internet sites. Girls in Roxana's and Silvina's sections are pretty reliable performers as are girls you might meet at the Mansion. If you go to an apartment, don't forget that most of the girls are available for takeout.

In Rio, termas are great. You can get phone numbers to hook up later but be discrete about it as the girls can get into trouble sometimes. I've had good luck at Help but it is a major crapshoot. Rio is much better for overnights if that's your interest.

I've never used agencies in either city so have no recommenation there.

Good luck, EG

Easy Go
08-02-05, 18:35
You also might want to check the Delta section on flyertalk. Com for insight into award travel on Delta.

You can fly an open jaw (ORD-GIG and EZE-ORD) on an Delta award ticket. But GIG-EZE one-way can be expensive. I think I paid around $US385 last time I did it.

Jaimito Cartero
08-02-05, 18:52
You can get a one way fare on Gol for $180-$250 from either SP (cheaper) or Rio (higher) GIG / EZE or GRU / EZE. They are a bit difficult to buy tickets on, since you must have an AMEX card to buy the ticket from abroad, or pay cash in country (or use a Brazilian Visa / Mastercard)

ChicagoBoy23
08-02-05, 21:38
UA's Latin America service has been cut way back.

They are down to 1 flight a day and it always sold out. Saw lots of people running to make connection only to have UA slam door in their face (I missed my leg day 1 as I was waiting for co-traveller)

Coming back Sunday night was better - plane was not full. Its only a matter of time till they close the Red Carpet club in BA and end service to Latin America.

Sportsman
08-02-05, 23:42

They are down to 1 flight a day and it always sold out. Saw lots of people running to make connection only to have UA slam door in their face (I missed my leg day 1 as I was waiting for co-traveller)

Coming back Sunday night was better - plane was not full. Its only a matter of time till they close the Red Carpet club in BA and end service to Latin America.UAL will resume their ORD-EZE route on 15 Dec. At least according to their booking website.

Mike12
08-03-05, 07:25
Not going anywhere. Trip down the drain. Supposed to have left weekend of the 18th of July for 3, 4 weeks in Argentina, but due to a cold or reaction to insect bite missed the plane. When I was able to fly without sneezing and coughing tried reserving a seat on AA from JFK to EZE and was told overbooked, oversold, poor for standby, and the flight has a couple of standbys already. Lowest regular fare to be found was $1200 which was out of the question since I still have my original standby ticket and had to eat some other costs as well. Myself and co-workers have flown this route many times and never had this problem so this came out of the blue. Jackson tried to accomodate me with lodging if I could ever get there which did not happen. Thanks alot Jackson, next time better planning and luck on my part I hope. Now I'm stuck here in this disgusting 90 degree weather. Main reason for trip was to get some cold weather as well as the pussy.

Agent on phone said "after June 1st everyone who hasn't flown since 9-11 decided to get on a plane and fly", and "don't even try to go to Europe this summer". Just saw an ad from United where flights to EZE from major US cities between 8-15 and 11-22 are around $800, lucky me.

So to wrap it up no casa de chicas, Orleans Cafe, Isenbeck, alfajores, cold air, Triangle, and many other things that are too hard to think about right now. I will continue to live vicariously through the adventures of supermongers who bang different chicks every nite while cooking exotic dishes, mongers who develop sexual infatuations with different chicks in different bolliches, and mongers who hang out at Orleans all afternoon. Think of me in the local Starbucks getting dagger-like stares because I happened to glance in a broads direction and be happy you are in BsAs.

Regulr Travlr
08-03-05, 11:38
Thanks guys for all the quick responses and PM's.

I will be making plans and continue to review the posts. Without a doubt I will be contacting Roxana and Silvina for assistance. As this will be my first venture to BA, why take any risks.

Daddy Rulz
08-03-05, 14:24

Coming back Sunday night was better - plane was not full. Its only a matter of time till they close the Red Carpet club in BA and end service to Latin America.I don't think United will close BsAs as a city (Christ I fucken hope not) the load factors are ok and labor there is low. Unlike Santiago and Lima BsAs has a city pair with Montevideo.

I predict the second ORD flight will resume before December. I know it's not showing yet but I predict late October. I've been looking at the loads for August and they are dropping towards the end of the month and September is empty at this point. Tons of NC upgrades available from the 27th August.

Thanks for using Daddys travel service.

Lewemoc
08-03-05, 14:42
I rarely think more than two weeks in advance without going back and changing my plans.

However, after being confronted with a $8000 (Dollars, not Pesos) ATL-EZE in business I was forced to go coach, and still paid over $1000 for the privelege of sitting next to an aging portena who had to get up every 15 minutes to relieve herself.

Delta is now offering $2100 business class ATL-EZE with 50 day advance (same basic rate from many markets) so if you are thinking about a spring time trip, book it now and cash it in for something else if the trip falls through.

Worth a look.

Sportsman
08-03-05, 15:38
I'm planning to spend Thanksgiving in BA and have been monitoring UAL airfare to EZE for November past few weeks. Today I found an UAL R/T ticket in Orbitz. Com from my hometown in the NE to EZE via IAD for $545 tax included. There is an additional $21 fee for paper ticket and FEDEX delivery (There is no choice in those matters). The catch is the return flight is not direct from EZE to IAD. First leg is EZE to Sao Paulo on TAM, then connecting from Sao Paulo to IAD on UAL. It is at least $200 cheaper than direct EZE to IAD return route. The connection is not too bad. The TAM flight from EZE to Sao Paulo leaves at 6:00 pm instead of 9:30 pm for UAL direct flight. With 3 hours layover in Sao Paulo, the connecting UAL flight leaves San Paulo at 12:30 am and arrives IAD at 7:20 am. I believe it is worth the $200 plus savings.

Daddy Rulz
08-03-05, 16:20
Thats a hell of a fair. If I ever actually bought tickets I think I would jump on that. One VERY minor consideration, a Yanqui pig needs a visa to enter Brazil, since you are connecting on an international flight no visa will be required. However in the worst case (I do work for the airline after all and think worst case all the time) if the flight cancels in GRU I'm pretty sure you couldn't leave the transit area unless you currantly hold a visa for Brazil. It's a VERY minor consideration and certainly wouldn't stop me from buying that fare.

To put it in perspective I pay around $US 110.00 or so to fly round trip standby including taxes but not airport fees.

Sky Ryder
08-03-05, 19:38
United is adding a second Sao Paulo to IAD flight beginning on Oct.30 and it is the flight you are connecting to in GRU. I will be very surpirised if UAL drops service to BsAs and GRU, because of loads and other considerations.

I will also be surprised if they add the ORD-EZE flight before Dec. Because of a lack of available lift, but hey I could be wrong.

Daddy Rulz
08-04-05, 03:43
I saw this spoofing about the web. Much cheaper than mine.

http://www.intratours.com/Specials/Specials.asp?SpecialID=36&Destination=BUE&IndexID=778

$476 from MIA, maybe now I can get on a fucking airplane!

Bangkok Dave
08-04-05, 11:36
I saw this spoofing about the web. Much cheaper than mine.

http://www.intratours.com/Specials/Specials.asp?SpecialID=36&Destination=BUE&IndexID=778

$476 from MIA, maybe know I can get on a fucking airplane!Typical bait and switch. The fine print says if the quoted fare is higher the advertised fare is sold out. I tried every season and date up to December and all fares were higher. Dave

Daddy Rulz
08-04-05, 13:33
Typical bait and switch. The fine print says if the quoted fare is higher the advertised fare is sold out. I tried every season and date up to December and all fares were higher. DaveI'll tell you, those fucking airlines. You know what you guys should do as a protest? For the week of 27 August you should all take busses from the EEUU to BsAs, that would teach them!

Sportsman
08-04-05, 23:09
One VERY minor consideration, a Yanqui pig needs a visa to enter Brazil, since you are connecting on an international flight no visa will be required. However in the worst case (I do work for the airline after all and think worst case all the time) if the flight cancels in GRU I'm pretty sure you couldn't leave the transit area unless you currantly hold a visa for Brazil.I have though about the possibility of a problem can arise in GRU without a visa. I have another more immediate concern and likely scenario – checked luggage. When the luggage is checked with TAM in EZE, is it checked all the way to the final destination (providng I still have to claim it at the port of entry in the US) or do I have to claim it at GRU and recheck it onto the UAL flight since TAM and UAL are not partner airlines? I foresee a problem if I have to claim it at GRU since luggage claim is always after immigration. I vaguely remember few years ago when I checked my luggage on a Czech Airline flight in Prague, it was checked all the way to the final destination on a US Airways flight. But I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone have the similar experience and care to share your knowledge?

Thanks,

Sportsman

Sky Ryder
08-04-05, 23:40
Sportsman,

You should not have a problem with your checked luggage, even though the arilines might not be "partners". I would suggest that when you get the baggage claim checks that you verify your final destination is printed on the claim check. That is the way you will know the destination your luggage is checked to arrive. Also the tags should show your flight numbers as well (although that info may only be on the tag on your bag) I am not sure of the relationship between TAM and Varig, but Varig and United are part of the "Star Alliance" so they do partner on many parts of the travel experience.

Enjoy your trip!

Daddy Rulz
08-05-05, 05:22
I have though about the possibility of a problem can arise in GRU without a visa. I have another more immediate concern and likely scenario – checked luggage. When the luggage is checked with TAM in EZE, is it checked all the way to the final destination (providng I still have to claim it at the port of entry in the US) or do I have to claim it at GRU and recheck it onto the UAL flight since TAM and UAL are not partner airlines? I foresee a problem if I have to claim it at GRU since luggage claim is always after immigration. I vaguely remember few years ago when I checked my luggage on a Czech Airline flight in Prague, it was checked all the way to the final destination on a US Airways flight. But I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone have the similar experience and care to share your knowledge?

Thanks,

SportsmanThis issue is baggage agreements. UAL has baggage agreements with most serious airlines. Southwest being an exception. As an example, Aerolineas Argentina and UAL have no codeshare or ticketing agreements, we do however have a baggage agreement. Which means you can check in with Aerolineas and fly to MIA then switch to AA and fly to DFW then go to UAL and fly to DEN. Aerolineas can make a bag tag covering all your flights and all the airlines can transfer the bags to each other. (this does not mean you should do this, if you do, your bag WILL get lost along the way, it only means in THEORY you can) You could not though fly Aerolineas to MIA, AA to DFW on to SAT the Southwest to Luv field. You would have to pick up your bags in SAT and transfer them yourself to SW.

Do I know for sure if TAM and UAL have an agreement? No but you can call TAM and find out. My guess is your bags won't make the connection even if they do have an agreement. They will probably miss in GRU and when you get to your final destination you will have to make a claim. Then it will take 24 hours for your bags to show up (only one flight a day between GRU and IAD) then they will clear customs without you (could take a day or two, Department of Homeland Security and all) then they will come to your city and UAL will deliver them. You may be suprised though, I would give myself 2 hours minimum in GRU to make sure you and your bags continue on.

If you get no answer from TAM PM me and I'll check at work tomorrow.

Nobody's lining up on my bus idea to protest how badly airlines screw you guys. Remember the week of August 27 (unless I decide to go a different day)

Hunt99
08-05-05, 10:16
This issue is baggage agreements. UAL has baggage agreaments with most serious airlines. Southwest being an exception. As an example, Aerolineas Argentina and UAL have no codeshare or ticketing agreements, we do however have a baggage agreement. Which means you can check in with Aerolineas and fly to MIA then switch to AA and fly to DFW then go to UAL and fly to DEN. Aerolineas can make a bag tag covering all your flights and all the airlines can transfer the bags to each other. (this does not mean you should do this, if you do, your bag WILL get lost along the way, it only means in THEORY you can) You could not though fly Aerolineas to MIA, AA to DFW on to Sat the Southwest to Luv field. You would have to pick up your bags in Sat and transfer them yourself to SW.You bet that in this circumstance they will lose your bag. It's almost 100% guaranteed. One thing to keep in mind when traveling, guys, is that you ought to take an overnight bag with you, which includes your toiletries and other essentials (such as prescription medications) as well as a change of clothes or two, in the expectation that the airline will lose your luggage. On trips of a week or less, I rarely even check a bag at all.

Jaimito Cartero
08-05-05, 11:23
I flew IAH-GRU on CO, and then GRU-EZE on TAM the first time I went to EZE in 2003. I had no problems checking through luggage. I always take a few days worth of clothes and other important things in my carryon. I'd say that I have luggage problems in about 10% of the cases the last few years, flying 100-180k miles per year.

El Aleman
08-05-05, 11:40
TAM codeshares with VARIG. I have several times been en route FRA --> GRU --> EZE, on both Lufthansa and VARIG tickets, and the last segment (GRU-EZE) was actually flown by TAM.

El Alemán

Daddy Rulz
08-05-05, 13:45
You bet that in this circumstance they will lose your bag. It's almost 100% guaranteed. One thing to keep in mind when traveling, guys, is that you ought to take an overnight bag with you, which includes your toiletries and other essentials (such as prescription medications) as well as a change of clothes or two, in the expectation that the airline will lose your luggage. On trips of a week or less, I rarely even check a bag at all.Never ever check keys or medication, ever. I check things all the time and have never once had a bag misplaced but I still carry a change of underware and all essentials with me. Out of curiosity how many of you guys have had to make claims because your bags were not there on arrival.

Moore
08-06-05, 00:00
Daddy Rulz,

I've had bags lost twice, both times on AirFrance from Paris (not my origin of departure) to Buenos Aires. The only reason I checked bags was because these were extended trips and I could not fit everything in a carry-on. Of course I still had a carry on with the essentials. Both times it took 4-5 days before my bags arrived (only one CDG-EZE flight per day) AF was never able to give any info except - "maybe the bags will be on tomorrows flight".

Regarding the what-if scenario on connecting in GRU as an American without a Brazilian visa, I guess only the EZE to North America leg could cause a problem since the GRU connection is late and if you missed it you would probably have to wait until the next day for the next possible connection. Ive connected in GRU and the process was very smooth - an agent took me directly from terminal to terminal and gate to gate assuming that I didnt have a visa, which incidentally I do. I doubt that GRU would have a transit area to hold you overnight for the next connection. They might have to let you in to the country and go to a hotel? One time at CDG I missed the 11pm connection to EZE (bags lost also) and I was very surprised that by the time (about midnight) I left the airport for my hotel, paid by AF, CDG was like a ghosttown. Apparently the whole place shuts down. And CDG is the busiest airport in Europe, I believe.

Sportsman
08-06-05, 00:37
Thank you guys for the responses. I called TAM today and didn't really get a straight answer. The rep told me only at the airport can tell me if my checked luggage will be checked all the way to my final destination. And she warned me I will need a visa even though I'll only be catching a connecting flight in GRU. I have been to some international arrival terminals that upon deplane from an international flight I had to go through immigration no matter what, Stuttgart, DE for one. I sent them an e-mail from their website try to get a more precise answer. The worse case scenario is they won't let me get on the TAM flight in EZE without a visa. If I don't get a direct and straight answer, I just might have to get the visa to be safe. I have no plan to travel to Brazil in the near future but had though about it. This may push to it since I'll be spending $100 for the visa. When the time comes, I will also try to pack without having to check any luggage. Since this trip is during spring time in late Nov. That makes it a little bit easier.

Sportsman
08-06-05, 00:55
Out of curiosity how many of you guys have had to make claims because your bags were not there on arrival. In the past ten years with an average of 5 trips each year, in only two instances my luggage did not show up upon arrival. Both times were outbound international flights. Both times the luggage was delivered to my hotel the next day. Even since I got caught without the essentials the first time, I always pack everything I need for the next two days in my carry on. Return trip is a different story, obviously keys and other important things are always in my carry on. I read it somewhere that airlines never re-imburse for eventually lost items in the checked luggage like camera and jewelry.

Daddy Rulz
08-06-05, 03:05
Thank you guys for the responses. I called TAM today and didn't really get a straight answer. The rep told me only at the airport can tell me if my checked luggage will be checked all the way to my final destination. And she warned me I will need a visa even though I'll only be catching a connecting flight in GRU. I have been to some international arrival terminals that upon deplane from an international flight I had to go through immigration no matter what, Stuttgart, DE for one. I sent them an e-mail from their website try to get a more precise answer. The worse case scenario is they won't let me get on the TAM flight in EZE without a visa. If I don't get a direct and straight answer, I just might have to get the visa to be safe. I have no plan to travel to Brazil in the near future but had though about it. This may push to it since I'll be spending $100 for the visa. When the time comes, I will also try to pack without having to check any luggage. Since this trip is during spring time in late Nov. That makes it a little bit easier.That sounds like a bunch of horseshit to me. If I remember I'll check tomorrow at work. However you can have right on your side and still have the counter agent not check you in. I've done that myself being in error. Immigration laws are VERY fucking complicated, Singapore may deny entrance to "hippy types" as one crazy example, and when there is a question most agents default to the path that will get them in the least trouble for being wrong. I could see a TAM agent in BsAs not checking you in because they think you need a visa. I'm about 90% sure brazil doesn't require them for through flights. Send me a PM tomorrow and I will remember to check about baggage agreements.

Jaimito Cartero
08-06-05, 05:57
Thank you guys for the responses. I called TAM today and didn't really get a straight answer. The rep told me only at the airport can tell me if my checked luggage will be checked all the way to my final destination. And she warned me I will need a visa even though I'll only be catching a connecting flight in GRU. I have been to some international arrival terminals that upon deplane from an international flight I had to go through immigration no matter what, Stuttgart, DE for one. I sent them an e-mail from their website try to get a more precise answer. The worse case scenario is they won't let me get on the TAM flight in EZE without a visa. If I don't get a direct and straight answer, I just might have to get the visa to be safe. I have no plan to travel to Brazil in the near future but had though about it. This may push to it since I'll be spending $100 for the visa. When the time comes, I will also try to pack without having to check any luggage. Since this trip is during spring time in late Nov. That makes it a little bit easier.I just got a Brazilian visa and it will definitely cost you more than $100. Best case is $110, and worst case is probably in the $200 price range.

If you can go to a local consulate it will cost you $100 +$10. Many local ones will not let you go in person, only use a broker of some sort. The cheapest broker I found charged a $39 fee, plus $6 mailing fee. So $155 is what it cost me.

I think that the airline is trying to cover their ass and say you need a visa. If you're a US citizen, you don't need one to transit.

One important thing to remember is that you must use your Brazilian visa within 90 days of issuance, or it's worthless.

Daddy Rulz
08-06-05, 13:46
I called work and had them check on a system we use called "timatic" it's a data base used by airlines (I don't know if TAM is a subscriber) to check entry requirements for citizens from different countries traveling to or through other contries.

US citizen transiting Brazil: No visa required providing you are leaving within 8 hours, on the next departing flight. No overnight stay is allowed, no hotel is available within the transit area. Make sure the TAM flight arrives at the same airport the UAL flight departs from. As an example if the TAM flight arrived at Jorge Newburry and the UAL flight departed from EZE your fucked. You are "strongly advised" to obtain a transit visa before going. consular@brasilemb. Org

Baggage agreement:

UAL has a full agreement with TAM, meaning that not only can they accept bags from you to be transfered to UAL but if your TAM flight from BsAs to GRU fails for some reason you could in THEORY combine your TAM ticket and your UAL ticket to fly direct from BsAs if UAL had room. You can't just walk up to the UAL counter and try to fly, TAM has to send you (think of a check you get from somebody that owes you money that you endorse to a third party you owe money to)

All this being said here is my advice, check with the Brazilian consulate and see what the deal is with a transit visa, it might be cheaper and easier to obtain then a full visa. Check your bags with TAM but be prepared to have to follow up with a supervisor to get them checked through to your final destination. Go to EZE early and if you run into problems go to the UAL counter and ask them to assist you with TAM. If upon arrival in the EEUU and your bags aren't there be very nice to the UAL baggage person because I helped you a lot here.

Thank you for using the Daddy Rulz travel agency. We are also available for boliche tours during your stay in BsAs.

Moore
08-08-05, 01:24
Ive been using that database for a while, although I never checked its name. I stumbled upon it while using the Qantas website a couple years ago (it may be on other sites as well) The URL is http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/visaHealth. Theres no need to subscribe, its free on the net.

You select your nationality, departure country, destination country, etc and it gives you all the regs. Ive pasted below the regs for connecting in Brasil, which confirms and also adds to Daddy Rulz' post.

National you. S. A. (US) / Embarkation ARGENTINA (AR)

Transit BRAZIL (BR) / Destination you. S. A. (US)

Visited ARGENTINA (AR)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW.

BRAZIL (BR)

Visa not required provided continuing within 8 hours by same or first connecting flight;

And.

- not staying overnight; and.

- connecting flight is confirmed on passenger's ticket; and.

- holding other documents required for next destination.

Leaving the airport transit lounge is not allowed.

Transit visa is required, if staying in the airport hotel.

Overnight, as it is located outside transit area after.

Immigration.

Note:

Although TWOV privilege is available it is advisable to obtain a transit visa in a country of origin to avoid any inconvenience for passenger transiting Brazil.

Visa required if transiting in:

A. Sao Paulo from:

- Viracopos Airport to Congonhas Airport and v. V.;

- Viracopos Airport to Guarulhos Airport and v. V.;

- Congonhas Airport to Guarulhos Airport and v. V.;

Be. Rio de Janeiro from Galeao Airport to Santos Dumont.

Airport and v. V.;

C. Confins Airport in Belo Horizonte.

Those included in somebody else's passport must hold an Individual visa.

All visas issued from a foreign representation must be used within 90 days after issuance. If not: transit denied.

Non-compliance with the transit regulations will result in deportation of passenger to country of origin at carrier's.

Expense. Moreover, the transporting carrier will have to pay the detention costs and a fine of USD 2,000.-, which will be multiplied in case of recurrence.

You. S. A. (US)

Passport required.

However, the following documents are also accepted as proof of.

Citizenship:

- Birth Certificate; or.

- Naturalization Papers; or.

- US. Expired passports,

Provided arriving from:

1. North, Central or South America (if arriving from Cuba a passport is required) or Guam; or Bermuda, Canada or Greenland; or West Indies, Caribbean or Society Islands.

Visa not required.

If holding passport issued in Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands or Palau Islands:

Passport required.

Visa not required.

If holding passport issued in Marshall Islands:

Passport required.

Visa not required.

If being a newly naturalized national of Marshall Isl.:

Visa not required if:

- person has resided in Marshall Isl. For at least five years;

And.

- person is holding a Certificate of Actual Residency issued by The Marshall Isl.

If coming directly from Guam or Virgin Isl: pre-inspection by The Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will have taken place.

Prior to embarkation, when passengers are required to provide.

Proof of their legal right to enter you. S. A.

If coming directly from Puerto Rico: pre-inspection may take.

Place by CBP prior to embarkation, when passengers are required.

To provide their documents and proof of their legal right to.

Enter you. S. A.

Minors: for detailed information see: For details, click here -

Iitems 2. 3. And 4.

If having been in or transited through Libya, special.

Restrictions apply (see: For details, click here)

BRAZIL (BR)

Vaccinations not required if not leaving the airport.

You. S. A. (US)

Vaccinations are not required.

Daddy Rulz
08-08-05, 03:49
I always thought that was some subscription data base. I checked some of the countries and that's exactly what I see at work. It's a great resource thanks for the link.

Sportsman
08-08-05, 23:51
Thank you guys for the great help. I also got an e-mail response from TAM:

Thank you for contacting TAM. You. S. Citizens transiting in Brazil do not require a visa providing they are continuing within 8 hours by the same or first connecting flight, are not staying overnight, and the connecting flight is confirmed. Please note that leaving the transit lounge will not be allowed.

For additional information, please go to http://www.brazilmiami.org/consulado/English/visas/TOURIST%20VISA.htm.

Unfortunately we do have detailed information regarding luggage transfer inside Brazil, so we recommend that you request at the check-in if is possible to send your baggage directly to the final destination.

Now that the luggage issue also has been answered by Daddy Rulz. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I will still try to pack with only carry-on just to be safe. Again many thanks to all.

Jaimito Cartero
08-16-05, 14:04
AA is doing their weekend fare out of NYC again. This isn't a rock bottom fare, but better than normal.

Depart anytime between Wednesday, August 24, 2005, and Friday, August 26, 2005. Return anytime between Monday, August 29, 2005, and Wednesday, August 31, 2005. Tickets must be purchased by this Friday, August 19, 2005, 11:59 p. M. (CT)

Waterboy
08-27-05, 17:34
This may be of interest to some:

American Airlines would like to offer you, as an AAirmail and Net SAAver® email subscriber in the New York area, a 10% discount the next time you book a trip on AA.com. We want to save you not only time, but money. Use this exclusive 10% discount savings when you book and purchase your reservation on AA. Com by September 9, 2005. This exclusive AA.com Discount Code may be used once, for up to six passengers.

Moore
08-28-05, 16:21
Does anyone know of any tricks on how to upgrade a Delta coach award ticket (50,000 miles) from EZE-ATL? The business class award ticket costs 90,000 and I'm running low on Skyteam miles.

Da Cat
08-28-05, 22:32
Get one of your Platnium Medallion buddies to give you a platinum upgrade. I have also seen them bartered on web sites before (strictly against the Delta rule book) They are also only valid with certain fares and subject to availability.

Daddy Rulz
08-29-05, 04:45
Does anyone know of any tricks on how to upgrade a Delta coach award ticket (50,000 miles) from EZE-ATL? The business class award ticket costs 90,000 and I'm running low on Skyteam miles.With UAL the only way to upgrade an award ticket is through operational nessecity. If tourist isn't over booked and they HAVE to move people up to free up seats than no upgrade is allowed. Which does tend to free up Biz and 1st seats for us employees traveling so personally I think it's a GREAT frigging idea. Delta may be different though.

Jaimito Cartero
08-29-05, 16:01
I don't believe that Delta upgrades their elites on most Intl routes. And since you aren't elite, your chances are almost nil. They might be able to use their miles to you / g you, but I'm not up on the rules for Delta.

Moore
08-29-05, 16:49
Thanks for your comments. I am platinum medallion on Delta (once you get the platinum status its good for one year+) but my mileage balance is getting low. Ive upgraded before with paid coach tickets before, but as Da Cat mentioned you cannot upgrade internationally on deeply discounted fares. I am using miles (for a coach award ticket) so this is a different case. There must be a way to do this being platinum but without having the 90,000 miles needed for a business award ticket.

Daddy Rulz
08-29-05, 19:43
Thanks for your comments. I am platinum medallion on Delta (once you get the platinum status its good for one year+) but my mileage balance is getting low. Ive upgraded before with paid coach tickets before, but as Da Cat mentioned you cannot upgrade internationally on deeply discounted fares. I am using miles (for a coach award ticket) so this is a different case. There must be a way to do this being platinum but without having the 90,000 miles needed for a business award ticket.With UAL you can upgrade discounted tickets but not award tickets. Sometimes for a lower fare it takes more miles to upgrade but not the gozzilion miles it takes to get a Biz award ticket. I think a call to the Medallion desk (if they have one) or their 800 number will quickly answer the question.

Jaimito Cartero
08-29-05, 22:27
I think the only upgrade you might get on an award ticket is an op-up. NW gives free upgrades to Gold and Plats for domestic portions on a space available portion.

I think the normal thinking is that if you wanted a FC award, you should have booked it. Strange, eh?

Speaking of which, I just burned some miles on a RTW award, and am wondering if Air France from Paris or Alitalia from Milan is a nicer trip to EZE.

Sportsman
08-30-05, 00:03
There must be a way to do this being platinum but without having the 90,000 miles needed for a business award ticket.Normally 90,000 miles will only get you a SkySaver Award ticket on Busniess Elite, meaning capacity controlled. It costs 180,000 for non-capacity controlled SkyChoice Award ticket on Busniess Elite to South America from CONUS.

Stowe
08-30-05, 00:56
I couldn't use my miles this time because even though there were still 33% of the seats available, there were none available for us using miles! I asked if they had reduced the number of seats for us because I have always made plans no more than 3 weeks out and was able to use them. Of course, they avoided giving me an answer so I guess they did answer, huh?

They did say I could use my miles but only if I was willing to spend 90k of them. They're nuts! So I paid but it worked out because this was the lowest price I have ever seen with AA to Argentina. So I get 18K more miles so my next 2 trips are free!

3.5 days and counting.

Suerte,

Stowe

Daddy Rulz
08-30-05, 02:30
I couldn't use my miles this time because even though there were still 33% of the seats available, there were none available for us using miles! I asked if they had reduced the number of seats for us because I have always made plans no more than 3 weeks out and was able to use them. Of course, they avoided giving me an answer so I guess they did answer, huh?Again I only know UAL does it. Yield managment decides how many seats can be booked as upgrades. I have no idea how they come up with it but I see flights with premium seats open and can't book them as upgrades. Domesticly you can stand by for upgrades for any empty seat I've never worked international flights so I don't know upgrade policy. As a non-revenue traveler I can only hope the policy is tight as hell:)

Exon123
10-21-05, 15:41
Ive just checked the Airfares to Buenos Aires and I'm coming up with numbers that are just out of site.

There talking $1,500 and $1700 hundred dollars round trip on the internet of both Delta & American.

Does anybody have any ideas. I realize that travel has gone up since this oil price rise but thease numbers just don't fly.

Thanks.

Exon

NewOrleans
10-21-05, 17:02
Hi,

Continental just started direct flights from Houston, Ticket ran be $920, and try a travel agency. Traveland. Com is a good one or gateway travel. They both get good deal with package prices. Man I can wait to get back to heaven.

Jaimito Cartero
10-21-05, 17:58
Hi, Continental just started direct flights from Houston, Ticket ran be $920, and try a travel agency. Traveland. Com is a good one or gateway travel. They both get good deal with package prices. Man I can wait to get back to heaven.These don't start until December 14th.

What are your dates, Exon?

Jaimito Cartero
10-21-05, 18:02
Flights from your city seem to be around $950 plus tax if you pick the right dates. You can save about $275 by flying out of LAX. It would probably be cheaper to fly from your city to LAX.

If you have some patience, I've seen flights in the mid $400 range out of LAX, but probably not until January or February.

Flying out of your city, I see AA flights for $1025 including taxes. Dates until the 22nd of December. Just fly Monday through Thursday to get these rates. There might be a few days around Thanksgiving that are blacked out.

Exon123
10-21-05, 21:15
Thanks Buddy, check your PM's.

Exon

Tbird
10-30-05, 03:23
And I am sure many of you will. But I have been toying with the idea of flying my Colombian Super GFE amiga (known on the WSG forum as My Maria) out to BA for a few days while I am there. She has never been to Argentina. Before you tell me that I am nuts (probably true) does anyone know of sources for reasonable airfare? I am not rich, and everything I see through standard sources seems to be pushing 700 USD. This would seriously deplete my Buenos Aires Exploration Fund (BAEF) After all, there are so many places to see, so many chicas to meet:)

Any ideas? I have seen LAN Peru and TACA flights. Will check Avianca direct.

OslersVoice
10-31-05, 11:22
And I am sure many of you will. But I have been toying with the idea of flying my Colombian Super GFE amiga (known on the WSG forum as My Maria) out to BA for a few days while I am there. She has never been to Argentina. Before you tell me that I am nuts (probably true) does anyone know of sources for reasonable airfare? I am not rich, and everything I see through standard sources seems to be pushing 700 USD. This would seriously deplete my Buenos Aires Exploration Fund (BAEF) After all, there are so many places to see, so many chicas to meet:)

Any ideas? I have seen LAN Peru and TACA flights. Will check Avianca direct.You are clearly thinking with the wrong head.

Jaimito Cartero
11-19-05, 23:44

Any ideas? I have seen LAN Peru and TACA flights. Will check Avianca direct.You don't bring sand to the beach.:)

On the other hand, if you have miles on NW, CO or Delta, you should be able to get a Copa or CO award to EZE. I know that CO will start flying soon, but I think you'd have to connect in the US, which would end up costing a ton of miles.

I show 20k miles for a standard coach seat, from Northern South America which is a nominal value of $400 for the ticket. I think this will be for just Copa. Probably 50k or 70k for CO.

Jaimito Cartero
11-19-05, 23:47
CO has announced a bonus of 5000 miles for their new flight to EZE.

Earn 5,000 bonus miles to Buenos Aires.

Earn 5,000 bonus miles to Buenos Aires. Our new service between Buenos Aires and Houston and continuing on to New York / Newark begins December 14, 2005. Register to earn up to 5,000 bonus miles through March 31, 2006, on qualifying round-trip flights between Houston and Buenos Aires.

Register using Promotion Code 58032.

I'd keep my eyes open, as Delta, AA or others may start to get aggressive on pricing after Christmas. $400 fares would be nice.:)

Gandolf50
11-20-05, 00:12
I have done $450 fare from LA to EZE including a layover in SJO (another favorite of mine!) on Taca & Lasca. By the way, the CO flights with a connection in the US? There are no more in transit lounges. To take a connecting flight through the US you would need a visa! Stupid shit, but thats the way it is now! (Thanks to the idiots in charge of Homeland Security!)

Jaimito Cartero
11-20-05, 00:52
I have done $450 fare from LA to EZE including a layover in SJO (another favorite of mine! On Taca & Lasca. By the way, the CO flights with a connection in the US? There are no more in transit lounges. To take a connecting flight through the US you would need a visa! Stupid shit, but thats the way it is now! (Thanks to the idiots in charge of Homeland Security!I've done a $389 fare myself, but usually only find $800-$1000 fares. I've got some $399 fares for New Years day, but you have to really keep your eyes open to get something below $400.

Moore
11-20-05, 21:29
JC,

I know that Delta and Continental are partners, but I thought that Delta miles could not be used for Copa, Continental's sister airline. Can you confirm yes / no? I would like to use my Delta miles to fly from BA to Havana on Copa via Panama. Flying Air Cubana doesnt turn me on, and their fares arent that cheap. The only benefit with them is that the flight is nonstop from BA-Havana, which has got to eliminate 100% your chances of being caught by OFAC on a flight manifest as an American going to Cuba.

Thanks.

Moore

Hunt99
11-21-05, 13:35
My two United flights from IAD to EZE these past few days were 100% full in both directions. Which explains why prices continue to be in the stratosphere, even though new airlines are continuing to add flights between the United States and Argentina. Perhaps loads will diminish, with all the new competition (Continental, LAN Argentina, the return of Delta) in addition to the existing triumvurate of Aerolineas Argentinas, United, and American.

Daddy Rulz
11-21-05, 14:40
My two United flights from IAD to EZE these past few days were 100% full in both directions. Which explains why prices continue to be in the stratosphere, even though new airlines are continuing to add flights between the United States and Argentina. Perhaps loads will diminish, with all the new competition (Continental, LAN Argentina, the return of Delta) in addition to the existing triumvurate of Aerolineas Argentinas, United, and American.Most of the Airlines will be paying oversales to do EXTREEM overbooking from now until the middle of January. If your looking to make some free tickets now is the time to go.

OslersVoice
12-01-05, 15:36
Just heard about this.

Any news locally about when this will be cleared up?

Jaimito Cartero
12-01-05, 17:16
JC,

I know that Delta and Continental are partners, but I thought that Delta miles could not be used for Copa, Continental's sister airline. Can you confirm yes / no? I would like to use my Delta miles to fly from BA to Havana on Copa via Panama. Flying Air Cubana doesnt turn me on, and their fares arent that cheap. The only benefit with them is that the flight is nonstop from BA-Havana, which has got to eliminate 100% your chances of being caught by OFAC on a flight manifest as an American going to Cuba.

Thanks.

MooreI just checked Delta's web site, and no go on Copa. I use Northwest, and they have no problems ticketing awards on Copa. There is some talk of Copa joining Skyteam, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Unless you have your mileage account listed in another country, I don't think I would use award travel to Cuba.

Daddy Rulz
12-02-05, 01:08
JC,

Thanks.

MooreArgentina collects and shares APIS (automated passport information system I think) with the EEUU. If you use your Passport to get on a flight to Cuba regardless of the country you leave from I'm pretty sure that info will make it into a databank here. My understanding is that the EEUU doesn't really prosocute but I don't know. I don't think it's running a big risk but the info will end up here somewhere. I do know that you can apply to the State Department to get permission to go to Cuba but again I'm ignorant as to the whys and hows.

I know nothing about CO mileage regulations.

Big Bricks
12-03-05, 22:49
Hey fellow mongers,

Just to give you guys a heads up. Continental Airlines will start flying nonstop from Houston Intercontinental airport to BA starting Dec. 14 2005. Flt nbr 51.

Jaimito Cartero
12-03-05, 23:12
hey fellow mongers just to give you guys a heads up. Continental airlines will start flying nonstop from houston intercontinental airport to BA starting Dec. 14 2005. Flt nbr 51.http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=349865&postcount=154

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=350788&postcount=160

Sportsman
12-27-05, 02:07
Did you select the flights or did you let the UA agent do this for you? Do you have status on UA? I'm out of LAX which has a direct flight (via ORD) to EZE. I plan on trying to redeem a BC award on UA somewhere (EZE probably) and I want to hear all about your experiences. AA is my primary airline and awards are easy to get. I have Executive Platinum status on AA and that helps alot.

When I book award flights I always do it online.For my paid tickets to EZE, I have used UAL, Orbitz, Travelocity, and Expedia web sites. I don't like using UAL online booking web site because it usally has limited choices for my connecting flights. It only gives me flights with the best connections, but the problem with those flights is they only have less than an hour of layover. I'm not comfortable with that fear of missing the connecting flight if the first leg is delayed. So I always try to get an earlier flight that gives me at least a 90 minute layover.

I am a Star Alliance Gold with US Airways, so I have to call US Airways award ticket agent to book my award ticket to EZE. I have noticed award seats are further limited because of it. I have seen seats available on the UAL award web site on certain dates, but when I call US Airways to book the trip no seat was available. I was told not all UAL award seats are available for Star Alliance redemption.

Rock Harders
12-27-05, 02:22
From my experience www.1800argentina.com, which is a travel agency out of NYC, offers THE cheapest tickets to Buenos Aires. In almost all circumstances, a ticket on AA from JFK to EZE (roundtrip) is available at the $700 level including all fees and taxes. I would assume that it is even less out of Miami. One time during research, I looked up the same exact flight on the AA website and they wanted over $2000 for a flight that I had already booked and paid $700 for.

Belmont Too
01-05-06, 23:12
Go here: http://www.continental.com/specials/offers/buenosaires.asp?SID=D32DB2CA3577403D8EA63B02099287FD

Got Mine,

Belmont Too

Belmont Too
01-06-06, 04:16
Don't forget to rgister for the 5,000 bonus miles. Reg at botom of pricing!

Belmont Too

Cabojohn
01-06-06, 11:40
Try this link.

http://vacations.travelzoo.com/european-vacations/221194

Hope someone can enjoy!

Strad
01-07-06, 11:22
From Jan. 17th up till end of Feb. 23, you are lucky if you are from New York area. Varig can fly you from NY to BA for $666 with everthing included. I hope this info will be useful!

Thanks!

Strad

Marak5
01-09-06, 18:11
Go here: http://www.continental.com/specials/offers/buenosaires.asp?SID=D32DB2CA3577403D8EA63B02099287FD

Got Mine,

Belmont TooIt seems as though a couple of other airlines are matching that price. At least when I type in from ord to eze (I'm assuming this would work from anywhere) on yahoo travel with flexible days, that price comes up through march on a couple airlines. Usually not many dates work for me when I'm doing flexible, but it seemed to have many days available at this price through march.

Jaimito Cartero
01-09-06, 18:47
Just make sure you check the stopovers, and routing of any trip you take. I'm in the middle of a LAX-EZE trip that cost me $389 plus tax, but you have to leave LAX after midnight, and then return from EZE at 4am.

Monger514
01-10-06, 00:10
From Jan. 17th up till end of Feb. 23, you are lucky if you are from New York area. Varig can fly you from NY to BA for $666 with everthing included. I hope this info will be useful!

Thanks!

StradI would rather ride the bus all the way there than fly Varig again.

AllIWantIsLove
01-10-06, 02:01
I would rather ride the bus all the way there than fly Varig again.Why? I've noticed that business class on the non-US airlines is a lot less expensive than business class on the US airlines. And since the overnight flight in coach is a real killer for me I've been thinking of looking into them.

What was your (apparently bad) experience on Varig?

Thanks, Bob

Jaimito Cartero
01-10-06, 02:23
Why? I've noticed that business class on the non-US airlines is a lot less expensive than business class on the US airlines. And since the overnight flight in coach is a real killer for me I've been thinking of looking into them.

What was your (apparently bad) experience on Varig?

Thanks, BobI flew Varig from Brazil to BA on my first trip here. They wouldn't let you use a CD player or any MP3 players at that time. Seemed totally assanine to me, but that were the rules.

Some foreign airlines are great. I had a decent trip on LAN in Biz Class to Peru a couple of months ago, for less than $1k.

I'd check on www.flyertalk.com for reports on different airlines, so you don't get stuck with something substandard.

Monger514
01-20-06, 14:49
I had an experience that was so bad it pains me to even recount it. It was off the charts. This happened last year, and there was some kind of labor dispute. The staff deliberately delayed my flight from Rio to SP for several hours and caused me to miss my connecting flight to the States. No one in SP to greet me. It was just incredible.

There was a businessman on that flight who had flown Varig many times and his wife kept warning him not to do it. Believe me, he swore them off after that.

Imagine sitting on the runway for a couple of hours with no air conditioning and NOBODY will tell you ANYTHING.

At least I got off in SP (though my baggage got lost) Guy sitting next to me took it threw to Miami and it got even worse. He tried to get off the plane but US Gestapo prevented him. Quite nightmarish.

So fly Varig at your own risk. You may never have a problem, but if you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Skip1
01-26-06, 18:09
You can pay the airport exit tax with a combination on $US and pesos at a fair rate with no fuss. So you can use up the last of your pesos as you leave the land of the loose and Latin.

Mpexy
02-11-06, 22:45
The airport tax was either $18 US, or $55.44 pesos when I flew out a few days ago for a short trip back to the USA before returning to BA.

If you have a few pesos left over, I'd save that to buy drinks and / or sandwiches at the little counter stand they have inside the gate areas while you wait for your flight. (although the food stand takes US dollars as well)

Marak5
03-02-06, 00:52
Last time I switched my return date so they put me on the Dallas flight (AA) instead of Miami. I don't mind the Miami flight at all. After dinner and drinks are served, it's already 2.5 hours into the flight. After that I try to take a nap, even if I don't fall asleep completely, I can daze for 3 or 4 hours. At that point it's only an hour or two or left before the plane starts to descend so it's smooth sailing.

This last flight for me to Dallas was so miserable. I woke up at like 2pm Bs As time that day so there was no way I was going to sleep at all on the plane. So after dinner, I was wide awake, looking at another 8 hours with the lights out. I felt bad to be the only one in the whole section with a light on to read, so I just Sat there staring at the seat ahead of me for 8 fucking hours. 10.5 hours vs. 8 is a huge difference.

On top of that, I think the plane to Dallas is smaller. So here I am up all night, and the plane is bouncing around like a little 2 seater over the middle of South America so not only am I bored out of my mind, I'm scared shitless.

Never again.

Rock Harders
03-02-06, 01:25
Marak5-

You are correct in that American Airlines does fly a smaller plane on the Dallas-Buenos Aires route than on the Miami-Buenos Aires flight. AA flies Boeing 767's on its flights Dallas-Buenos Aires and New York-Buenos Aires; on the Miami-Buenos Aires flight, they use the 777. Boeing 777 is superior to their 767 in every possible way- 777's have On-Demand video at every seat, even in Economy, and are larger, more comfortable, and newer than the 767's. The Boeing 777 is now the world's premier long distance aircraft and is in fact Boeing's best selling plane, and for good reason. I fly the direct AA 955 flight from JFK-EZE on a 767, it takes 10 hours, 40 minutes and its not that bad because I always get an emergency exit seat, and the two provided meals, while piss poor in quality, break up the trip into manageable periods.

Next time, get the emergency aisle seat, pop a few ambien or xanex, and pass the fuck out!

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
03-02-06, 02:49
They must have upgraded the Miami route to 777s *relatively* recently. Up to a year or so ago I used to fly that route all the time, and they were using the old 767s that must have been passed off to the relatively new Dallas route. Once the Delta/Atlanta route resumed I never took the Miami flight again.

Either way, coach is basically coach on most airlines (notable exception: Emirates). American gives you "more room" (a few inches) by drastically reducing your reclining space. Conversely, on the "less room" AirFrance777 from BA to Paris you can really recline, and if you're under 6'4 you can still strech your legs completely under the seat in front of you. I generally sleep 7-8 hours of that 13 hour flight because I'm almost laying down.

I avoid Miami if possible because its not a US hub like Dallas or Atlanta (thats the best flight <Delta> IMO). You often have to wait hours in Miami for a connection to many major US cities. Additionally, I think I read that Atlanta has more customs officials/booths than any other airport. I always breeze thru before I even wake up and catch a connection in no time flat.

PS Not that I fly coach anymore. I'm just talking from past experience;)

Daddy Rulz
03-03-06, 18:17
I thought the area in the back was for luggage. Now that I don't work for an airline anymore I'm going to have to pay attention to this coach stuff.

Marak5
03-03-06, 18:47
Moore.

Are the planes on the Delta flight new? What size plane is it?

I have flown Delta a few times in the USA and to Costa Rica, but all the planes seemed a bit older.

As far as the connection in Miami goes, I have had no problems. It might be because I arrived in Miami on odd days (Saturday and I think Tuesday) but both times the plane landed around 6 30 am, I breezed through, and I got a connection to ORD within 2 hours.

Daddy Rulz
03-05-06, 15:18
All of the 767s I ever saw are configured with 2 seats by the window, 3 in the middle then another 2 by the other window. United 777 have 2-5-2 most of the airlines will tell you on their scedule page what equipment is flying.

Moore.

Are the planes on the Delta flight new? What size plane is it?

I have flown Delta a few times in the USA and to Costa Rica, but all the planes seemed a bit older.

As far as the connection in Miami goes, I have had no problems. It might be because I arrived in Miami on odd days (Saturday and I think Tuesday) but both times the plane landed around 6 30 am, I breezed through, and I got a connection to ORD within 2 hours.

Sky Ryder
03-05-06, 19:13
As of last week Delta was still flying a 767-300 on the ATL-EZE route. United also flies the 767-300 as does AA from Dallas, NYC and one of the MIA flights. Continental flies the smaller 767-200 from IAH to EZE. AA flies a 777 from MIA as well.

United has a portion of economy which is known as "Economy Plus" in the first 10 or so rows of economy which has a couple of more inches of legroom.

Daddy Rulz
03-06-06, 14:48
As of last week Delta was still flying a 767-300 on the ATL-EZE route. United also flies the 767-300 as does AA from Dallas, NYC and one of the MIA flights. Continental flies the smaller 767-200 from IAH to EZE. AA flies a 777 from MIA as well.

United has a portion of economy which is known as "Economy Plus" in the first 10 or so rows of economy which has a couple of more inches of legroom.Generally the seats in front of the exit rows on domestic flights, not sure about international flights. If you have no status you can't get them preassigned before the day of departure. On the day of departure VERY early in the morning call the 800 number tell them you suffer from claustraphobia and will be VERY uncomfortable unless you can sit towards the front of the cabin. If they say they have nothing available ask for a supervisor. According to the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) the airline must accomodate any reasonable request if your fucked up in some way.

Hunt99
03-06-06, 16:08
Airfares to and from EZE on the normal websites (Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, and the airlines own sites) are just out of sight ~ $1,000 to $1,400, depending on the airline (AA being lower, UA on the high end) I just looked into booking a flight to EZE and found that the fares offered using the utility found at www.sidestep.com came through with fares around $900 on UA, which is a $500 saving. Might be worth looking into if you are pondering a trip to Argentina. That extra $500 you can save buys a lot of poon once you are in country.

Jaimito Cartero
03-06-06, 16:29
Airfares to and from EZE on the normal websites (Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, and the airlines own sites) are just out of sight ~ $1,000 to $1,400, depending on the airline.Often times the fares from one city may be artificially high. The best method that I've found is to go to Travelocity Dream Maps, enter EZE for origination city, and set the dollar limit to 1000 or so.

http://dps1.travelocity.com/dreamMap.ctl

Now fares won't *always* be the exact same when you're going the reverse direction (for example origination in Costa Rica is cheaper) but it will give you a good idea of the price range.

Right now, New York has the lowest fare of only $519 plus tax on Avianca. This would not be my first choice of airlines, but you can get some majors for a couple of hundred more.

While Travelocity does seem a bit buggy sometimes (it shows that an airline flys from you city, but every time you click on a date, it says it doesn't) it's the tool that I used the most.

There are also consolidator tickets that can save you big bucks on a ticket. Check out your local Sunday paper. I would always use a credit card to buy tickets, to protect yourself against an airline going out of business, or other travel agent problems.

Sportsman
03-06-06, 21:48
Generally the seats in front of the exit rows on domestic flights, not sure about international flights.UA has E+ with 4 extra inch of pitch on international flights too including the 767-300ER it uses for the EZE routes. They are available pre-assigned at no cost to MP elites, Star Alliance Silver and Gold members, and full coach fare passengers. Another way is to buy E+ access for about $300 per year. UA also sells them on a one time basis during check in.

TheKnife
03-22-06, 00:55
UA has a fare $434 plus taxes from Cleveland. Jump on it!

Moore
04-21-06, 19:28
I just called Delta in order to book a reward flight back to USA. I gave them an approximate date (May 30) understanding that you have to be somewhat flexible when using miles. Last time I did this (Sept-05) there were open flights about every 3 days and I was also reserving about 6 weeks in advance that time.

The first flight available from BA to Atlanta is on Aug-16! 2 and a half months after my desired date.

Delta has obviously reduced its award seats to effectively zero. The miles are basically worthless just like the shares.

Punter 127
04-21-06, 20:18
I had better luck using my Delta miles on Continental last time I came to BsAs, you can also check available reward flights on Continentals web page, if you find a flight you want just call Delta and they will book it. I think Delta charged me $10.00 to book the flight. I had to fly out of Houston.

Punter 127

Marak5
04-22-06, 02:26
I must be doing something wrong here. Pretty much every time I cannot find a flight below 1000usd on any of the sites from ord-eze. Last May I booked a flight on Lan Pero for only about 600usd. Since that time I have found nothing even close, and I am checking flexible dates every couple of days.

I just booked a flight last week. I tried to find some of these consolidator websites but these sites were directing me mostly through Sao Paulo, and they were more expensive than booking just on the American Airlines website! One quote was for like 1700usd with some shitty ass South American airline.

In the end a deal came up for 900usd on United at Yahoo Travel, but the connection from Ohare to Dulles was on some little regional jet. I have enough flying anxiety as it is, I get too nervous on those small planes. The flight I like out of Miami was just 193 dollars more so I just paid the extra.

From this point on I decided I will only fly in and out of Miami. Those extra hours flying further inland into the United States fucking kill me. 8 hours I can deal with.

Hi Marak5,

I had the same fare results when I flew back to the USA in March. It seems that at the moment the MIA-EZE tickets are hovering around $900 to $1,000 USD. You might get a little less flying a South American airline, which will route you through one of their hubs, but my experience (Varig, Lan Chile and LAB) is that the cheaper fare isn't worth the extra aggravation and the time lost.

What strikes me is that you can fly NYC to Europe for approximately $400 USD, a relatively equavalent distance, at almost any time. Obviously, we need more competition on the USA-EZE routes.

Thanks,

Jackson

Lobovoss
04-22-06, 02:47
I must be doing something wrong here. Pretty much every time I cannot find a flight below 1000usd on any of the sites from ord-eze. Last May I booked a flight on Lan Pero for only about 600usd. Since that time I have found nothing even close, and I am checking flexible dates every couple of days.

I just booked a flight last week. I tried to find some of these consolidator websites but these sites were directing me mostly through Sao Paulo, and they were more expensive than booking just on the american airlines website! One quote was for like 1700usd with some shitty ass south american airline.

In the end a deal came up for 900usd on United at Yahoo Travel, but the connection from Ohare to Dulles was on some little regional jet. I have enough flying anxiety as it is, I get too nervous on those small planes. The flight I like out of Miami was just 193 dollars more so I just paid the extra.

From this point on I decided I will only fly in and out of Miami. Those extra hours flying further inland into the United States fucking kill me. 8 hours I can deal with.Try Costamer Travel [1-800-444-7171 ] I booked with them from MIA to EZE for $590,00 all inclusiv on Coppa Airline. Leaving on June 13 returning July13. Coppa Flight CM 301 leaving MIA at 4,30 pm to PTY. Leaving Panama City at 7,35 pm Flight CM 454 arriving at EZE 4,40 am. Less Time then with Lan Peru.

Good Luck

Sconjo USA
04-22-06, 08:56
Thanks for the air info. How are you, I hope you are well. Maybe some time we will both be in BA at the same time and go to the fights together. Best wishes and stay well.

Sconjo USA

Moore
04-23-06, 02:35
What strikes me is that you can fly NYC to Europe for approximately $400 USD, a relatively equavalent distance, at almost any time. Obviously, we need more competition on the USA-EZE routes.You can fly from almost any US city (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, etc) for US$400s to Europe in the off-season (approx Nov-Mar). In summer you're generally paying US$700+. You basically never get those super low fares from USA to Arg/Brasil, which is about a 5,000 mile trip just like Europe. The Europe market is, of course, MUCH larger (developed) than the South America market. Lower fares are probably due to economies of scale. Can you think of any imported product, excluding Paraguayan whoares, that is cheaper in Arg than in USA/Europe? Obviously you can reduce direct profit margins/markups with higher sales volume. The corner store usually can't compete with WalMart retail prices. When the local Arg market develops to the degree that there are nonstop flights from Atlanta to Mendoza and Dallas to Rosario, then we'll see how low fares are. Hell will probably freeze over before that happens.

The good news is that there are more carriers/routes from BA to USA than ever. Not so long ago, Miami and NYC on American/Aerolineas were the only way to get here. Such was the case again after the devaluation when most carriers cancelled their flights to BA. Now you can fly directly to Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, DC, Dallas. Aerolineas is supposed to start a nonstop to LA. Ive paid between about $600 and $1300 for my flights and have yet to see any correlation between the prices and seasons/devaluations etc. If memory serves, the lowest I ever paid ($600s) was during Christmas week, which included a 4-hour connection to the west coast. Go figure...

Hi Moore,

I concur.

Thanks,

Jackson

Rock Harders
04-23-06, 07:39
Mongers,

The three different times I flew to Buenos Aires I was able to get a flight each time between $600-$700 USD. I left the USA in August, January, and April. The flights were on United (IAD) in Jan. 05 and American (JFK) in Aug. 05 and April 06. I used 1800argentina. Com each time for the flight.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Easy Go
04-23-06, 17:19
$600-700 has been my experience as well but prices from ORD are out of sight this year. I have not seen a "regular" ticket (I. E. Non-consolidator) under $900 this year.

Moore
04-23-06, 20:48
I had better luck using my Delta miles on Continental last time I came to BsAs, you can also check available reward flights on Continentals web page, if you find a flight you want just call Delta and they will book it. I think Delta charged me $10.00 to book the flight. I had to fly out of Houston. How did you do this? Continental has MANY more award seats available than Delta and they are partners. I called Delta and said - x flights are available per Continental. They told me that just because they are available for Continental doesn't mean they are available for award booking via Delta. Partners, but not seamless award systems apparently. Advice? Continental has the dates / times that I need.

Punter 127
04-23-06, 22:23
I called the number on the back of my SkyMiles card (1-800-325-1551) told them I wanted to use my Delta miles to book a flight on Continental, she ask for the date, checked availability and scheduled the flight. Sounds like whoever you talked with didn't know how to do it. I did this in January and had enough miles for two flights, the first date I could get on Delta was in May, but I was able to get one on Continental in March, I booked both trips at the same time. It cost me $34.00 for the Delta flight and $45.00 for the Continental flight. I think the extra $10.00 was for Delta to schedule the flight on Continental.

Good Luck,

Punter 127

TheKnife
05-09-06, 20:31
When you fly alot (ie have top tier frequent flyer status) there are extra seats available to you. This explains why I've had such a problem getting UA awards nd such an easy time getting AA awards.

The real secret though is most frequent flyer open up awards for booking 330 days in advance. Use Excel to figure out the dates and reserve promptly. In the event you need to change your plans there is on average a $100 change fee. You don't airline status for this.

Eddie

Jaimito Cartero
05-10-06, 12:13
** The most important thing with getting a reward flight, is to know what partners fly there. Always ask them to check availability on partners! Most phone agents will only quote their own flights and won't bother to check partners. Many agents don't know the correct rules. So, when in doubt, call a few different times until you get an answer you like. **

I've flown one Biz class reward to EZE when they were still 70k miles. I've got one RTW Biz reward that I'm in the middle of now, and one of the last legs is a MXP-EZE (Milan-BA) later this year. I had fairly good luck finding coach rewards, but Biz class were very tight, even 6 months in advance.

I fly Northwest for domestic and Asian / European flights, but can use DL, CO, Copa and maybe one or two others to get to EZE.

I always evaluate whether to use a reward or not by a simple rule of thumb. How many miles does it cost? Multiply by 2 cents each. So if it's 50,000 miles for a coach reward, that's a basic $1000 value. Say the flight is 10,000 miles round trip, if you're elite, you'll get a bonus as well, possibly to as much as 22,500 miles with base mileage. Those miles by themselves are worth up to $450, plus going towards your elite status.

So, unless your coach ticket is $1300 or more, it's probably best to buy the ticket. Of course, if you don't have any status, this can change the equation.

Frequent flyer benefits vary. In my program (Northwest) as the highest level (Platinum) I can change reward tickets for free. I get free FC upgrades on 49/ states domestic (95% average) I get 125% bonus miles on all standard flights. I also get some upgrades on international flights (Mainly on Continental 737/757's) and companion FC upgrades for domestic flights. So if you're flying to Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia or Peru on Continental, it pays to have status.

An important thing to find out is which partners fly to the city you want to go to. You can usually mix carriers that are in your alliance. So you can fly CO to Atlanta, and then fly DL to EZE.

The nice thing about reward tickets, is that they're usually good for a year. Say you want to stay in BA for 9 months. If you buy a ticket like that it will probably cost $1500 or more. A reward ticket won't cost any extra.

If some of you guys have a lot of miles around, you may consider doing an Around The World (RTW) reward. Most airlines don't advertise these, but they are a great use of miles.

And I'm sure that there will be some sales for EZE. Wait for CO/DL or AA to fight. The last time this happened, I got sub $400 (plus tax) on DL and Copa to EZE. Some cities are much cheaper than other to fly out of. Always check the NYC area, Chicago and LAX. I flew on Delta for $389+ from LAX. If I had flown out of Atlanta (which my plane connected to), it was double the price!

A few good resources:

www.flyertalk.com A frequent flyer forum.

www.farecompare.com A new tool for finding low priced flights.

www.travelocity.com A decent tool for finding the lowest price in a given period. However, don't trust the "Travelocity Guarantee" further than you can throw it.

Easy Go
05-10-06, 17:38
When you fly alot (ie have top tier frequent flyer status) there are extra seats available to you. This explains why I've had such a problem getting UA awards nd such an easy time getting AA awards.

The real secret though is most frequent flyer open up awards for booking 330 days in advance. Use Excel to figure out the dates and reserve promptly. In the event you need to change your plans there is on average a $100 change fee. You don't airline status for this.

EddieThe extra award seats for top tier flyers (1K) on UA are limited to domestic coach seats. Nothing international or in a premium class. Award (and upgrade) seats to EZE are hard to find because UA inventory management doesn't appear to release any seats. The prices are sky high this year so I'll be interested to see the loads when come down in June.

The 330 day tip used to be golden but inventory management has gotten much more clever the last couple of years.

Hefe
05-11-06, 03:13
I have had good success in using miles with aa (if you book early enough) It is a bargain to also go in November for only 40,000 miles vs. 60,000 miles in December on AA and I already have booked my trip to go in November.

Local Lad
05-11-06, 15:21
I am returning to BA in early Septmber and have heard of a flight direct from BA to Merlo / Possibly Merlot, thus for me bypassing Cordoba. Does anyone know what airline operates this flight as my UK travel agent is unable to track anything down. Any help appreciated.

Strad
05-12-06, 20:26
I am thinking of visiting Cuba via Argentina. Does any Anerican have traveled from BsAs to Havana?

Thanks a lot!

Strad

El Perro
05-12-06, 20:37
I am thinking of visiting Cuba via Argentina. Does any Anerican have traveled from BsAs to Havana?

Thanks a lot!

StradStrad,

I went to Cuba via the Bahamas, but that was back in 1998. Things have changed alot since then, both in Cuba, and the states. The Feds are scrutinizing the situation vis a vis travel to Cuba alot closer. You do not want your american passport stamped in Cuba, unless you are sponsored by some organization that has a waiver. AND, those organizations are harder to find, as the Bush administration has cracked down on sponsored travel. If you would like further info pm me.

Dog

Moore
05-12-06, 22:22
Strad,

The best way to go from BA is on Copa Airlines (short connection in Panama). This is a daily flight, even Maradona flew to it to rehab. There is also a nonstop on Cubana Air on Fridays and Sundays. Dealing with Cubana seems a real pain in the ass (called them a few times, what a surprise).

Going by memory of statistics from about 1.5 years ago when I almost went, about 50,000 Americans visit Cuba illegally per year and about 500/year get nailed (1%). In every case I found, the "offender" received a bill for $7,500 in the mail from OFAC and got it immediately reduced to about $700. They then just paid the fine though they probably could have reduced it to zero if they felt like fighting. I think the max that OFAC can hit you with is $60k per the embargo violation code but I didn't see any cases like it.

Most Americans going to Cuba travel thru one of the 3 convenient gateways from USA - Toronto, Cancun, and Jamaica. It's not so hard to have the Cuban customs not stamp your passport. However, upon arriving back to USA, explaining your recent double Cancun exit/entry stamps to a suspicious US agent can be difficult. That's how people often get nailed. You're also usually required to list countries visited during your trip upon entering USA. Or the customs agent can simply ask you if he wishes. But if you're making a complete roundtrip to Cuba from BA, I would think your chance of getting nailed must be akin to your chance of being struck by lightning.

Check out the Cuba section of the InternationalSexGuide. Lots of info there.

Moore
05-13-06, 00:25
I always evaluate whether to use a reward or not by a simple rule of thumb. How many miles does it cost? Multiply by 2 cents each. So if it's 50,000 miles for a coach reward, that's a basic $1000 value. Say the flight is 10,000 miles round trip, if you're elite, you'll get a bonus as well, possibly to as much as 22,500 miles with base mileage. Those miles by themselves are worth up to $450, plus going towards your elite status. Id say that 1 cent is a better figure. True, a RT flight from USA to BA usually costs around $1,000 or 50,000 miles. But the fare would have to be under $500 for me to buy it instead of using miles. Miles expire, are harder to use, and can become worthless if the carrier goes bankrupt (they do). Miles - use 'em if you got 'em (assuming there are mileage seats available, often there arent). Sort of like tax loss carryforwards.

Strad
05-13-06, 02:07
I have heard in many cases that Cuba Customs won't stemp on our passports, however, just like Moore said,

upon arriving back to USA, explaining your recent double exit / entry stamps to a suspicious US agent can be difficult.Man! It is really a risk business, Sigh!

Strad

Strad
05-13-06, 02:28
I have had good success in using miles with aa (if you book early enough) It is a bargain to also go in November for only 40,000 miles vs. 60,000 miles in December on AA and I already have booked my trip to go in November.I was about to book my July BA trip with requirement 60,000 AA miles when I found out I can fly in mid Aug. For 40,000 air miles! I was told by an AA agent should I for some reason canceled the trip, I still can use the miles within a year no penalty. If I really can't fly within a year, the miles can be transfered back to my AA memeber account for $100 dollars.

Anyway, my next trip to BsAs will be paying only taxs, 80 bucks, cool huh?

Moore
05-13-06, 02:47
Thats part of the point Strad. Even going to Cuba from the USA via Cancun / Toronto / Jamaica, chances are very slim that you'll be caught and even if you are you're probably talking a $700 speeding ticket.

Agents watch these flights because they are very common Cuba routes for Americans.

But if you take a one week RT journey to Havana from BA now and then go back to USA 3 months later, theyre most likely not going to be "suspecting" that you were in Cuba.

Supposedly OFAC can check flight passenger lists. I doubt they check flights from BA-Havana. Miami-BA-Havana is not exactly the shortest distance between 2 points.

Water Rat
05-13-06, 23:35
I am Canadian so I do not have the same issue with travelling to Cuba. My visa was on a separate piece of paper, no stamp in my passport. I was hoping for a stamp as I was trying to fill my passport before expiry. Go pretty close. The Cuban customs were a real hassle. It took forever to get our bags - I am sure that they were inspected for contraband capitalist literature Adam Smith "The Wealth of Nations" etc.

Once there it was really depressing, Havana looked worse than Beirut did 10 years ago. The people are really friendly, but you really have to speak fluent Spanish. I regularly work in Spanish and sitll found that the accent was very different.

As for hobbying, I was on business so I was being watched. One day I was on a bus going along the Rambla, a friendly guy in a suit sat next to me. Looking out the window at the sea, I saw a chica at the side of the road. The suit told me that I was really missing something on the other side of the bus - a very important government building. Ok. A minute later, another chica, another diversion. I got off the bus and lost him but I have no doubt that there was another. All in all it was not worth it, so I took a few photographs and went back to work.

El Perro
05-13-06, 23:58
I have heard in many cases that Cuba Customs won't stemp on our passports, however, just like Moore said,

Man! It is really a risk business, Sigh!

StradStrad,

When I went through the Bahamas in 1998, I worked the trip through a travel agency in Nassau that was in cahoots with a travel agency in Cuba. Obviously immigration had to be on board in both countries as well. My passport was not stamped in Cuba, or in Nassau once again upon my return. So, as I told US customs upon my return, Atlantis was very nice. Back then folks got busted for bringing back cigars, rum and the like, but no major hassles. If I were to go back to Cuba, I would look for a similar arrangement. I have been out of that loop for awhile though. As Moore pointed out, your best bet IMHO is to dig into the International Sex Forum. There are some very hot chicas there. Good luck.

Jaimito Cartero
05-14-06, 15:56
Id say that 1 cent is a better figure. True, a RT flight from USA to BA usually costs around $1,000 or 50,000 miles. But the fare would have to be under $500 for me to buy it instead of using miles. Miles expire, are harder to use, and can become worthless if the carrier goes bankrupt (they do) Miles - use 'em if you got 'em (assuming there are mileage seats available, often there arent) Sort of like tax loss carryforwards.Well value is of course dependent on what you use them for. The chance of the miles becoming worthless on a major US carrier is quite small. For major US airlines that have gone out of business, I can't think of one in 20 years that didn't have another airline come in and buy assets, and honor the frequent flyer plans. TWA and PanAm are prime examples.

If you don't have the knowledge or patience to study the frequent flyer program, then you may never even be able to redeem anything. I earn 300-400k miles per year, and usually when I have a ticket in mind, I'll ticket it when I reach that threshold. It's rare that miles become more valuable, so I do agree to use them and not store millions for a rainy day.

I generally redeem high value tickets. Either business class, round the world, or just plain expensive tickets. Given your one cent rule, perhaps you can tell me of an around the world trip in business class, with no change penalties, fully refundable before the first leg, 6 continent travel, one year validity, with no mileage limitations that I can buy for $2200?

If you redeem tickets from Dallas to Las Vegas, for 20k or 25k miles, then you're just pissing them away. However, to use them on a flight you need, at a good "price", then sure.

Penguin
05-14-06, 17:46
If you guys really want to get technical on the value of frequent flier miles, how to accumulate them, when the best time to use them, how to upgrade etc. You might want to head over to Flyertalk. There is a bunch of guys beating this topic as much as you guys discuss pussy.

Here is the link for American Airlines AAdvantage but there is a drop down menu at the bottom of the page to switch to any other airline.

http://www.fliertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=445

Hope that helps.

Penguin.

The Hunter
05-14-06, 18:07
Hey all,

I'm relatively new in this site even though I've been passively shadowing everyones post here. I'm basically new in this hobby and have a lot of catching up to all of you experience mongers outhere lol:)

Not beating around the bush, has anyone travelled extensively in South America? I'm taking a corporate 1month break from work to have some "fun" in BA by August 2006.

I'm thinking about doing the Machu Pichu first and then flying to B.A- I'm quite shocked that there's no European charter flights version like EAsyjet / Ryan Air in S. America.

So if you have any ideas of charter planes / flights from Lima to B.A or B.A to Rio de Janeiro. Please PM me and I would appreciate your input on this.

Gracias

Easy Go
05-14-06, 18:53
Hey all,

I'm relatively new in this site even though I've been passively shadowing everyones post here. I'm basically new in this hobby and have a lot of catching up to all of you experience mongers outhere lol:)

Not beating around the bush, has anyone travelled extensively in South America? I'm taking a corporate 1month break from work to have some "fun" in BA by August 2006.

I'm thinking about doing the Machu Pichu first and then flying to be. A- I'm quite shocked that there's no European charter flights version like EAsyjet / Ryan Air in S. America.

So if you have any ideas of charter planes / flights from Lima to be. A or be. A to Rio de Janeiro. Please PM me and I would appreciate your input on this.

GraciasI think Gol (http://www.voegol.com.br/) is the only big low cost carrier in South America and they are focused on Brazil. But they do fly to BA.

Jaimito Cartero
05-14-06, 19:39
If you guys really want to get technical on the value of frequent flier miles, how to accumulate them, when the best time to use them, how to upgrade etc. You might want to head over to Flyertalk. If you would read the messages that I've posted, you'll see a link to Flyertalk already. My post http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=357679&postcount=209 has a few good links for finding low fares, and other frequent flyer info.

Jaimito Cartero
05-14-06, 19:43
I think Gol (http://www.voegol.com.br/) is the only big low cost carrier in South America and they are focused on Brazil. But they do fly to BA.The last time I checked, the BA flight on Gol was in the low $200 price range. Not a bad airline, I flew them from Sao Paulo to Rio last year. Too bad it's not like Asia with a dozen or more low cost airlines. It would easily be $100 or less there. (There may be agreements between the countries disallowing new carriers, however, and this affects pricing greatly.)

I know that I can fly to South America cheaper from the US, than from many Central American countries.

Moore
05-14-06, 22:56
JC,

I still have a 6figure mileage balance with Delta but recently lost my platinum status. I don't fly 400k miles per year but feel fairly knowledgable of the system. Last year I used a Delta award to go from BA to USA (via Atlanta) and it went quite smoothly. This year, I tried to redeem miles for the same trip and there are available flights about every three months - the next one available is on Aug-16! There would be many more flights available if my miles were on Continental (partner) but far fewer seats are allocated to Delta for use on partner airlines. Ive spoken with Delta and Continental agents. Please let me know if I'm missing something because I would like to use miles and not pay. But if there are award seats available only once every 3 months, then they are essentially useless - zero cents per mile. On the few days that are available, the connections offered with miles suck balls. Like you arrive to Houston via the partner Continental at 6am and have to wait until noon for your connection when there are nonstops at 7:30, 9:00, 10:30 etc, but no award seats on them. I'll gladly sell you my miles for 2 cents each.

And my Delta shares for 70 cents each.;)

Jaimito Cartero
05-14-06, 23:25
Well, since you say they're worth between 1 cents, and 0, I'd give you 1/2 cent each.:)

Are you looking for a coach or biz class ticket? If you'd like to see more places, I'd recommend a RTW reward. 140k for coach, or 220k for Business. When I booked one of these, they had a lot more availability (with none of the double mileage BS)

I don't fly 400k a year, but do get 300-400k a year in mileage / bonuses.

Taking a quick look on Delta.com, I see that DL, CO and AM (Aero Mexico) are possibilities. If you have CO or NW miles you can use CM (Copa) as well. I would recommend calling up and talking the the reservations people. They will sometimes have rewards in their system that isn't listed online. You *must* remind them to check out partner flights, as they will generally ignore them.

If you are a glutton for punishment, you could use your miles on Malaysian to fly to South Africa, and then get an award to the US from there.:)

JC,

I still have a 6figure mileage balance with Delta but recently lost my platinum status. I don't fly 400k miles per year but feel fairly knowledgable of the system. Last year I used a Delta award to go from BA to USA (via Atlanta) and it went quite smoothly. This year, I tried to redeem miles for the same trip and there are available flights about every three months - the next one available is on Aug.-16! There would be many more flights available if my miles were on Continental (partner) but far fewer seats are allocated to Delta for use on partner airlines. Ive spoken with Delta and Continental agents. Please let me know if I'm missing something because I would like to use miles and not pay. But if there are award seats available only once every 3 months, then they are essentially useless - zero cents per mile. On the few days that are available, the connections offered with miles suck balls. Like you arrive to Houston via the partner Continental at 6am and have to wait until noon for your connection when there are nonstops at 7:30, 9:00, 10:30 etc, but no award seats on them. I'll gladly sell you my miles for 2 cents each.

And my Delta shares for 70 cents each.;)

Moore
05-14-06, 23:58
Well, since you say they're worth between 1 cents, and 0, I'd give you 1/2 cent each.We have an opening bid - 1/2 cent. They're very robust, beautiful miles that have never been used and are probably worth at least .04/each. Do I hear .035?

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-06, 00:03
We have an opening bid - 1/2 cent. They're very robust, beautiful miles that have never been used and are probably worth at least.04/ each. Do I hear.035?.002? And since DL is in BK, maybe less?;)

Exon123
05-17-06, 14:42
I just did a little shopping on the Internet.

Carbone Travel!

The Argentine ticket consolidator was $360 dollars cheaper than anyone else from my home in sex prison round trip on the most direct flight.

Moreover Delta was almost $600 hundred dollars more as a member with 39,000 plus miles.

I intend to get even by getting one of their credit card's, (free the first year) and the 20,000 miles that goes with it. That will give me enough miles for a free ticket. Then I will cancel the credit and never fly Delta unless I have too.

"CockSuckers"

Exon

El Perro
05-17-06, 14:45
I just did a little shopping on the Internet.

Carbone Travel!

The Argentine ticket consolidator was $360 dollars cheaper than anyone else from my home in sex prison round trip on the most direct flight.

Moreover Delta was almost $600 hundred dollars more as a member with 39,000 plus miles.

I intend to get even by getting one of their credit card's, (free the first year) and the 20,000 miles that goes with it. That will give me enough miles for a free ticket. Then I will cancel the credit and never fly Delta unless I have too.

"CockSuckers"

ExonExon,

I have used Carbone twice to set up round trips between Miami and BA on Aerolineas Argentinas. No troubles. First trip was about $650, 2nd about $700.

Dog

Hunt99
05-17-06, 14:51
Good luck trying to use those miles for a free ticket. Delta has nothing, NOTHING, NADA to Buenos Aires using their 50,000 mile award. 100,000 minimum if you want to use miles, and that's sitting in their tiny fucking coach seats. Those "free" 20,000 miles will also cost you an annual fee of around 140 bucks. Not worth it.

Jaimito Cartero
05-17-06, 20:07
Good luck trying to use those miles for a free ticket. Delta has nothing, NOTHING, NADA to Buenos Aires using their 50,000 mile award. 100,000 minimum if you want to use miles, and that's sitting in their tiny fucking coach seats. Those "free" 20,000 miles will also cost you an annual fee of around 140 bucks. Not worth it.Didn't you read Exon's post? The Skymiles card is free for the first year.

Most Skyteam partners should have the same reward availability. I know I got a Delta segment (in coach, hopefully Biz will open up) in December on my RTW reward ticket.

Remember to *always* ask about partners (CO and AM) when requesting tickets, as they may have availability.

Exon123
05-17-06, 21:12
I've flown down twice using using Sky Class miles, its was 50,000 miles round trip.

But they delibertly try and screw you up by only confirming only one leg of the trip and puting you in standby for the other leg.

They did this to me both times.

After confirming my standby status I call them and sure enough if I wanted to pay full fare they had a comfirmed seat all the way threw for me both way's.

Exon

Punter 127
05-17-06, 21:24
I'm flying down this weekend on a Delta 50,000 sky miles ticket, coach, confirmed both ways. I flew down in March on continental with Delta miles. I booked both trips in December.

Strad
05-30-06, 17:48
My portano friend forwarded me a link with tour pakcages information:

PLAYA DEL CARMEN:

Aereo con Lan Chile desde Rosario – salida jueves.

7 Noches alojamiento en hotel RIU TEQUILA.

TODO INCLUIDO – Traslados aeropuerto / hotel / aeropuerto.

USD 1290 + impuestos.

PUNTA CANA:

Aereo con Lan Chile desde Rosario – salida viernes.

7 Noches alojamiento en hotel RIU NAIBOA.

USD 1125 + Impuestos.

SAN ANDRES.

Aereo con Copa Airlines desde Buenos Aires.

6 Noches alojamiento hotel DECAMERON SAN LUIS.

USD 819 + impuestos.

PANAMA.

7 Noches alojamiento hotel ROYAL DECAMERON.

USD 899 + impuestos.

SAN ANDRES + PANAMA.

5 Noches alojamiento en CARTAGENA en hotel DECAMERON CARTAGENA.

5 Noches alojamiento en PANAMA en hotel ROYAL DECAMERON.

USD 1049 + impuestos.

VARADERO.

Aereo directo a Varadero desde Buenos Aires – Salida viernes.

6 Noches alojamiento en Varadero hotel MAR DEL SUR.

USD 819 + impuestos.

VARADERO + LA HABANA.

4 Noches alojamiento en Varadero hotel MAR DEL SUR.

2 Noches alojamiento en La Habana hotel COLINA.

TODO INCLUIDO en Varadero + Desayuno en La Habana.

Traslados aeropuerto / hotel / aeropuerto.

USD 779 + impuestos.

VARADERO + CAYO LARGO + LA HABANA.

7 Noches alojamiento en Varadero hotel VILLA TORTUGA.

3 Noches alojamiento en Cayo Largo hotel VILLA CORAL.

3 Noches alojamiento en La Habana hotel Kohly.

TODO INCLUIDO en Varadero why Cayo Largo + Desayuno en La Habana.

Traslados aeropuerto / hotel / aeropuerto.

USD 1175 + impuestos.

Precios por persona en base habitación doble.

Thanks a lot!

Strad

Moore
05-31-06, 22:42
Recently I flew back to Sex Prison. I had reserved the Continental flight from EZE-IAH using Delta miles. At about 5pm, only about 2 hours before the leaving for the airport, I checked the flight status on Continental's website. All clear. I don't usually do that but I had a shitload of bags.

At 8pm I arrive to EZE and instantly see "CANCELLED" next to my flight. What the fuck! Reason given - thunderstorms in Houston. Yeah right.

Luckily, I ended up getting on the Delta flight to Atlanta about 2 minutes before departure. The Atlanta connections are great, but the plane they fly to BA is a hunk of shit. Judging by the interior, it was probably built about the time the movie Star Wars was released. I was in coach - seats barely recline and the space below the seats is very low so you can't really stretch your legs. I think I got a combined total of 40 minutes sleep. The overhead compartments are tiny. They could use some lessons and new planes from Emirates. Now there's a real airline.

Artisttyp
05-31-06, 23:45
American Airlines was the same thing seats wouldn't go back broken magazine racks and mouthy flight attendents. I slept less than 40 minutes and I was exhausted.

They only gave you enough food and drink to keep you alive. I always travel with my own stuff anyway but once I'd like not to have to bring a carry on bag filled with food and drink. Winds up I'm glad I did.

I also noticed AA gives you nothing for gold status only primary check in and boarding and the courtesy to wait standby behind 2 other higher member levels in order to use 500 miles to upgrade. I'm silver on USairways and they come get me to sit in first class if there is an empty seat. Sounds as welcoming as my $10 int. Debit fee from Chase bank.

I'm almost close to a free ticket on AA then I'm moving over to Continental. Do their seats recline? Is gold pass membership worth it?

Jaimito Cartero
06-01-06, 07:30
The Atlanta connections are great, but the plane they fly to BA is a hunk of shit. Judging by the interior, it was probably built about the time the movie Star Wars was released. I was in coach - seats barely recline and the space below the seats is very low so you can't really stretch your legs. I think I got a combined total of 40 minutes sleep. The overhead compartments are tiny. They could use some lessons and new planes from Emirates. Now there's a real airline.I think Delta is still flying the 767 on this route. I flew it once last year ($389+ tax from LAX) but I agree it looks like it's seen much better days.

Sometimes you'll get why mileage out of a reroute like this. Hopefully you gave them you CO, NW or DL frequent flyer number.

I flew on AA once in Biz class which was fine, haven't flown coach there, however. Unless you're flying.

In looking at the schedules, AA, DL and CO seem to be using the 767 on this route. Not my favorite plane, but it could be worse, I guess.

Here's an interesting site that will let you track flights in progress, and sometimes will give you other useful info.

http://flightaware.com/live/

Monger514
06-11-06, 15:26
I like to think I personally had something to do with this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060608/ts_afp/brazilairlinecompanyvarig

Down with socialism (equal time: and crony capitalism)

Moore
06-11-06, 18:34
I don't usually pay attention to these offers, but I see that most airlines are offering decent mileage bonuses (15,000 to 25,000) if you accept a credit card. Delta is the best since the annual fee is waived for the first year. So you get the card (AMEX), make one purchase, pay it off, and then cutup/cancel it. The cost is zero and they give you 15,000 miles.

American's bonus is 25,000 miles for accepting a Visa card. However, the $80 annual fee is not waived and I guess it hits on the first cycle. No idea since I've never paid an annual fee. Still, 25,000 miles are worth $500 assuming the 2 cent rule which seems a good trade for an $80 fee.

PS a question for some of you mileage experts. I have a hodgepodge of small, useless balances on various airlines that I've only used a few times. 15k on KLM, 10k on US Air, 10k on British, etc. Is there a way to combine/transfer these balances to one partner airline so as to make them useful for something?

Sincerely,
Scratching the Days on the Wall in Sex Prison

Amantelondres
06-11-06, 19:41
Not if, as is the case here, the three airlines belong to three different alliances e. g. Oneworld with BA. But it may be the case that you can switch miles for hotel points and you may find that some hotels have the same airline partners. I recently switched my Starwood (Sheraton) points to BA Miles.

Suerte

Sportsman
08-13-06, 16:05
I've been watching the airfare to EZE in preparation for my trip over Thanksgiving. The prices have been insane, especially on United (around $1200 from my hometown in the NE, I've been paying $800-$900 this year so far). But today I came across some very reasonable fares:

www.allcheapfares.com
MIA to EZE non-stop on TAM for $470
From my hometown in the NE to EZE on AA connecting to LAN ARG in MIA for $645

www.Cheaptickets.com
MIA to EZE on LAN ARG for $471
From my hometown in the NE to EZE on AA connecting to LAN ARG in MIA for $655

www.orbitz.com
MIA to EZE on LAN ARG for $475
From my hometown in the NE to EZE on AA connecting to LAN ARG in MIA for $693

All fares listed are R/T, taxes and fees included. Even if you have book a sepearte ticket from your hometown and connect in MIA, these fares are a lot better than what I've been seeing.

My miles are with United and I really need the EQM to qualify for Elite status. But these fares in the One World Alliance are really tempting. Don't know how long they will last. Some of you might able to take advantage of them.

El Perro
08-13-06, 17:33
Sportsman,

Thanks for the great info and heads up on these fares. I have been checking things out today regarding EZE to Miami around Thanksgiving, and the fares are surprisingly good. They are about twice as much around Christmas. I might have to exchange presents early this year.:) Thanks again for alerting everybody to these cheap flights.

Dogg

El Perro
08-13-06, 22:12
Booked a round trip fare today on LAN from EZE to MIA for $499, which includes tax. My cheapest round trip yet. Very surprising. I noted that Aerolineas Argentina has round trip fares to MIA resembling American Airlines price structure. This is a big change from a year ago. More inflation? I don't know. Again thanks to the always well prepared Sportsman!

Dogg

TangoManiac
08-21-06, 20:05
Lan Peru: Miami to eze, book by August 28. Round trip is 399+ tax. Too bad it costs me 250 bucks to get to Miami. Booooo.

Fare is valid from October to Xmas.

BA Luvr
08-25-06, 20:59
OK, which one of you f--cked up? Quote from today's Yahoo headlines:

"In Houston, FBI officials were questioning a man traveling from Buenos Aires on Continental Airlines Inc. Flight 52 after bomb-sniffing dogs at the international arrivals area noticed something in his luggage, a.

TSA official said.

Officials believed he had picked up dynamite during a mining trip while he was abroad and had stored it in his suitcase."

Monger514
08-26-06, 13:54
PS a question for some of you mileage experts. I have a hodgepodge of small, useless balances on various airlines that I've only used a few times. 15k on KLM, 10k on US Air, 10k on British, etc. Is there a way to combine / transfer these balances to one partner airline so as to make them useful for something?Yes, go join Points.com. They have programs where you can trade your miles, usually at a 10-1 ratio - that's if the airline allows it. And they'll fill up your inbox with spam every day.

Master J
08-30-06, 00:53
Greetings,

I noted members quoting fares, ($399 / $ 599) and did indeed follow up with both a web search and a phone call to verify "who are these guys'? Having traveled to BA 7 times over the past two years only on American, I am intrigued, but sceptical about the plane, service, carrier, etc. Has anyone information on the experience and service of this carrier? I was holding off to see if they are like a Southwest Airlines, Midway, etc. Hope to be there during Thanksgiving, kind of my tradition. More to follow.

Thank you.