PDA

View Full Version : Tourist Visa Information

Jackson
02-16-05, 17:28
Generally speaking, US Citizens do not need an advance visa to travel to Argentina. As a matter of general protice, US Citizens are granted a visa at the airport on arrival in Argentina.

Here is the U.S. State Department visa requirement web site for every country.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

Here is the requirement for the British and UK residents

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590

Do check in the Foreign and Commenwealth Office's main website for more information.

Jaimito Cartero
06-26-05, 02:18
I recall that jak (I think) posted about a quick way to get a Brazilian Visa while in BA. I'm going for a bit more than a week, and rather than send it to the Brazilian consulate in the US, I thought I could get it on my trip.

Has anyone gotten one in BA recently?

Moore
06-27-05, 23:07
I recall that Jak (I think) posted about a quick way to get a Brazilian visa while in BA. I'm going for a bit more than a week, and rather than send it to the Brazilian consulate in the US, I thought I could get it on my trip.

Has anyone gotten one in BA recently?I got my Brasilian visa about a year ago in BA. Its good for five years and cost about US100. It was for business, which may or may not make a difference. I think I had to show a paid airline ticket at the consulate to get it and it only took 1-2 days. I remember a few years ago that an American colleague of mine routed his trip to BA in order to get his Brasilian visa here, it was much easier than getting it in the USA.

Jaimito Cartero
06-28-05, 04:21
I got my brasilian visa about a year ago in ba. Its good for five years and cost about us100. It was for business, which may or may not make a difference. I think I had to show a paid airline ticket at the consulate to get it and it only took 1-2 days. I remember a few years ago that an american colleague of mine routed his trip to ba in order to get his brasilian visa here, it was much easier than getting it in the usa.Well, my passport is expiring in a bit more than a year, so the 5 year part won't do me too much good. I know the normal passport is $100 or so. I'm only in town for a bit more than a week, so I would kind of need my passport back to leave.:)

Bandy
06-28-05, 12:26
well, my passport is expiring in a bit more than a year, so the 5 year part won't do me too much good. I know the normal passport is $100 or so. I'm only in town for a bit more than a week, so I would kind of need my passport back to leave.:)Multi-year visa most of the cases exceeds the current passport expiration date (my brazilian visa will have 2 more years left when my current passport expires). All you have to do is to carry both passports, your new one and this old one. Visa for all countries will remain valid. If you have doubts, you can check with the brazilian embassy.

Bandy

Jaimito Cartero
06-28-05, 13:16
multi-year visa most of the cases exceeds the current passport expiration date (my brazilian visa will have 2 more years left when my current passport expires) all you have to do is to carry both passports, your new one and this old one. Visa for all countries will remain valid. If you have doubts, you can check with the brazilian embassy.

BandyAh, good to know. I just thought I'd have to waste another $100 when mine expired. I think I need to get a passport with 128 pages or something this time.:)

Sportsman
06-28-05, 21:03
ah, good to know. I just thought I'd have to waste another $100 when mine expired. I think I need to get a passport with 128 pages or something this time.:)I have 5 more years before my passport expires but I run out of visa pages already. I was gonna pay the $67 to renew my passport. Then I found out I can apply for extra pages to be added to my passport at no charge. Just fill out the ds-19 form. I got it back in the mail two weeks ago. Next time I will apply for the 48 page passport, again it is no extra charge.

Moore
06-28-05, 22:51
As written below, the Brasilian visa is valid even though the passport may have expired. I got my first 5yr visa in about 1999, when my US passport expired in 2000. I continued to carry and use my expired passport with the valid Brasil visa for about 4 years. This is not the case for all countries, in Chile they give you a "visa" upon entry for about us70 that is stapled to your passport. It is only good until that passport expires. Short on time, no problem, the Brasilian consulate will generally only give you the visa if its urgent (you are travelling in a week, already have a ticket, and need the visa now)

As for getting more pages in your US passport, go to the US embassy in Palermo, they´ll give you about 20 addl pages in about 15 minutes.

Jaimito Cartero
06-29-05, 00:29
I think Jak posted about getting an Brazilian visa a year or so ago. I have tickets for late August. I just think it's going to be a hassle to apply from the US for it. I already got the 24 extra pages in my passport when I was in Costa Rica earlier this year. I've already used up 5 or 6 pages of it.

Moore
06-30-05, 14:50
Again, many of the embassies / consulates (including USA) work ONLY when urgency is a factor. I remember in 2000 when my US passpost was about to expire in 3 months. I was living in the USA and had no upcoming travel plans so I thought it would be a good time to get a a new passport while I had time. The consulate´s response was basically - why do you need a new passport if you have no travel plans? En cambio, if you´re leaving the country in 3 days they'll give it to you in 1-2 days. Generally the same with visas at Brasilian consulates - if you're travelling Aug. 30 go to their consulate with tickets on Aug. 23 and you shouldnt have a problem.

Dickhead
07-01-05, 00:19
Both these trips basically suck, but:

Buquebus (office on Córdoba, north side, near Esmeralda) to Colonia currently has a slow boat special for 71 pesos round trip. The Cacciola bus / boat combo (office Florida 520 #113) to Carmelo is holding steady at 64 pesos. Note that the Carmelo trip gets you back to BA much earlier in the day. Lines / queues are much less annoying for the Carmelo trip. Oh yeah; another advantage of the Carmelo run is you could hang out in Tigre for a while on the way back and then take the train instead of the bus. That would add another 1.1 pesos to the cost, though.

Carmelo is a cheaper town to hang out in for a few hours and the beers on the boat are cheaper than the ones on Buquebus. Also the town of Carmelo is a bit closer to the boat dock than Colonia, although neither is that far of a walk. Colonia is a prettier town. Colonia has a lot of brick and cobblestone streets so you would be better off wearing hiking boots than sneakers and that is a pain in the ass too.

Buquebus has a duty free shop on board but if you are interested in shit like that you are probably not much of a monger. Oh, wait a minute; the Carmelo boat has duty free too, but it is completely lame.

I have done Buquebus twice with female companions / hookers and it is a long ride back with very little to say. Overall if your goal is three more months with the least hassle I recommend the Carmelo trip. No one in their office speaks any English, though.

CityDude
07-16-05, 12:21
Please folks, keep in mind that one is forbidden from doing any business activity when in AR on a defacto-tourist visa. Since my firm has many branches (offices) in various parts of the world; I have visas for many countries where visa are not required.

Much of my are & R is after hours in places where I have work related assignments - It has it's pros-and-cons.

Dickhead
07-16-05, 12:56
What's your point? Are you a snitch?

Art Vandalay
07-21-05, 10:24
Does any one know if you can enter Argentina and ask the immigration agent to stamp a separate page not part of your passport to enter Argentina? Reason I ask is I want to go to BsAs without lookng like I have been there when the Mrs. checks my passport at a later time. I heard they do this when you go to Cuba as an American.

Art

Jaimito Cartero
07-21-05, 17:53
Art,

As far as I know only certain Middle Eastern countries (Israel, etc) will let you stamp a removable page. If it's that big of a problem, you may have to "lose" your passport and get a replacement. Just don't try to use the old one if you find it again.

Moore
07-21-05, 20:48
Art V,

Is Argentina known by women around the world as a mongering destination? What is wrong with your wife knowing that you went there? Whenever I mention to foreigners that I'm in Argentina they'll comment on the futbol, the beef, the ecomomy, but never that it's a known fleshpot sex destination like maybe Bangkok or Amsterdam. Most people have no idea! It appears you have a problem if someone other than a customs officer examines your passport.

Art Vandalay
07-22-05, 13:41
Moore,

The wife and I travel at least once a year together and although I doubt she would look in my passport with suspicion she might look to see al the stamps since I have many more than she does. And as far as me going to BsAs WITH her knowledge is definitely out of the question. Let's just say I have been a little naughty before I got hitched and alhough she has no idea about the mongering, she did see pictures of a couple chicas I went out with last year when I went to BsAs while our relationship was on hiatus. So looks like I'll just have to go and smudge the entry and exit dates a little with that purple ink they stamp it with. Where there's a will there's a Vandalay.

Cheers,

Art

Moore
07-23-05, 00:18
Art,

Well if your wife already knows about some of your previous adventures in BA thats another story. You can at least try asking customs not to stamp you passport, it might work. In your case you might want to check into a 2nd US passport. Ive heard, surprisingly, that you can get a 2nd one and have two valid at the same time. Thus you could use the 2nd for Cuba, Israel, and Argentina and the USA, Arab countries, and the wife would never know by looking at your 1st passport.

El Centro
07-23-05, 10:26
Art,

What Moore says is totally right, I'm not sure about in the -US- but I know for a fact that this is possible and in fact quite easy within in the -UK- anyway.

All you will need in the -UK- is a letter from your company, on company headed paper saying that you will require a second passport for buisness travel.

I would suggest, that if you live quite close to a passport office that you just pop in and ask them about it, what they would require, etc.

Have fun & safe travels.

Suerte.

EC

Jaimito Cartero
07-23-05, 15:14
I don't recall this being allowed for the normal US citizen. Other than diplomatic or some other type of government passport, I don't think this will happen.

The US is certainly not going to make it easy to go to Cuba.

Gandolf50
07-26-05, 23:05
Cuba is quite easy to get to. You can fly direct from Toronto, Mexico and several islands in the caribean. Put a five dollar bill and a blank peice of paper in your passport and they will stamp the paper, not the passport. Do not bring back anything that will trip you up in customs! (cigars for instance!)

Daddy Rulz
07-27-05, 03:14
Lots of people go to Cuba and don't get their passports stamped. As far as the second USA passport I don't think so but I'm not an expert and it may be possible. Art you could also "lose" your passport upon your return to the States.

Rickster
07-27-05, 10:42
When I was last in Cuba two years ago it was Cuban Government protocol to issue a tourista green form that was stamped and which you were requested to keep on you at all times during your stay. They will not stamp your passport as they really want your dollars and you to return.

The sticky issue is re-entry to Mexico [ I don't know how it works for Canada]. I have read that if you put $10USD in your passportthat the Mexican authorities will not stamp. I asked "no stampa passport" and the gal did it anyway, albiet lightly. The good news was I smeared it with saliva immediately afterwards and it is illegable.

Thing
10-10-05, 17:53
I've been doing the 3-month tourist visa renewal regularly and am planning on staying in the country for long time so I would like to get my residency. The old forums had some good information, but (given how often bureaucracy changes here) I was wondering if anyone has any recent tips about how to make the process as painless as possible (I have the FBI record enroute already, etc. And am more curious about which offices are faster and if anyone knows about any current under-publicized visa programs) I'm sure others checking in on this section would also be interested.

For anyone wondering, I am proof that you can renew your 3-month visa repeatedly for (so far) over a year. So if you go that route, you have nothing to worry about (they never bat an eye while fingering through my 12-pages of back-and-forth stamps) (I prefer the Buquebus trip to Colonia: catch the 11am hour-long boat and return on the 5pm one. But it still feels like a wasted day often.

P. S. Nice work on the new forums. I've been travelling around the country for almost the entire last year, but I'm glad to be back in the city permanently now and glad to see that this invaluable community still thriving.

Emeritus
02-14-06, 11:41
Hello.

Is it possible and easy to cross into Uruguay from Gualyguychu and get a new 90 day stamp for my usa passport?

Thanks gentlemen

Andres
02-14-06, 22:39
Hello.

Is it possible and easy to cross into Uruguay from Gualyguychu and get a new 90 day stamp for my usa passport?

Thanks gentlemenBe careful. Curently, there is a dispute with Uruguay regarding paper plants being installed in front of Gualeguaychú, and angry neighbors block regularly the bridges. Better go to another bridge (like Colón-Paysandú or such)

Hope this helps,

Andres

VaqueroNY
02-28-06, 11:29
Hello to all.

A friend of mine is considering visiting me in BsAs. However she only has a Guyanese passport and neither Guyana nor Argentina have consulates of the other in their countries.

I know that she'd need an application form.

My question is where should I go to get one of these applications? Ministry of Interior or Tourisim?

I appreciate your help.

JH

Thomaso276
02-28-06, 18:06
I think you would go to immigration, behind Sheraton Hotel Convention center (hotel is on Libertador)

Call them to find out: http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/

VaqueroNY
02-28-06, 18:29
Thanks.

My google-fu is weak.

JH

El Aleman
03-01-06, 07:42
Vaquero,

The list of entry requrements you find on the Argentine Immigration Service's web site http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migraciones/VISAS_2006.pdf shows clearly, that Guayana nationals don't need a visa for Argentina.

Gentlemen, there is a hell of a lot of information available on the internet. You just have to search.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Emeritus
03-09-06, 16:31
Hello everyone,

IF YOU don't HAVE TIME OR ENERGY TO RENEW VIsa you can go to immagration office. Behind Sheraton Hotel Convention center (hotel is on Libertador)

The cost is 100 pesos and the wait is about 1 1/2 hours. You will be given another 90 days without leaving country.

Maybe be useful to someone.

El Perro
09-25-06, 12:18
Avoided the Uruguay trip and went to Retiro this morning to renew my visa. The experience reflected those had by others but I do have a tip. Make a copy of two pages of your passport before you go-the personal information page and the page documenting your last visa renewal. I had to stand in a long, very slow line for at least 45 minutes to access the on site copy machine. I was in and out in just under two hours and it could have been much shorter. Still 100p.

Ssr2005
11-16-06, 15:57
Does anyone know if you need a visa to go from BA over to Uruguay for a few days with a Ar. Friend.

Ssr2005.

Hunt99
11-16-06, 16:32
Does anyone know if you need a visa to go from BA over to Uruguay for a few days with a Ar. Friend.

Ssr2005.US and most European citizens do not need a visa to visit Uruguay.

Sportsman
11-16-06, 16:48
For US citizens, check out US State Department website for Foreign Entry Requirements:

URUGUAY - *Passport required. Visa not required for tourist / business stay of up to 90 days.

Ssr2005
11-16-06, 17:23
Thanks guys.

Sigprn
05-16-07, 07:06
Is a visa required for BA if your on a American Passport and just going to stay for 15 days. I'm assuming not. Just show Passport and round trip ticket back home in 15 days rite and your good to go.

BadMan
05-16-07, 13:51
You are good to go without a visa as long as you aren't staying more than 90 days. Though I think countries like Brazil and Paraguay do require visas.

Bad

Ampfofu
05-16-07, 18:43
All you need is your passport. Remember when you leave BSAS you will have to pay a tax. Something like 18 dollars

Sportsman
05-16-07, 20:58
Here are US citizen visa and passport requirements for all the countries:

There is an existing thread on this very topic already, check out the first report in this thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1919

Breakawaytx
06-07-07, 12:18
Does anyone have experience securing a US tourist visa for an Argentine? I have a friend who would like to come visit, but the prospect seems daunting. Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan23
06-07-07, 13:42
Does anyone have experience securing a US tourist visa for an Argentine? I have a friend who would like to come visit, but the prospect seems daunting. Any advice would be appreciated.Breakaway,

You will have to provide more information - like: is your friend male or female, what type of work they do, etc. Bottomline: If your friend is a 18-40 years working girl, without substantial ties to Argentina (owned home, business, etc.) - forget it. Her family ties can play a role, however if they were that strong chances are good she would have already visited the USA.

Alan

Exon123
06-07-07, 14:51
Its next to impossible to get a US Visa for a Chica.

About the only way your going to get one is apply for a marriage Visa and even that will take about 6 months.

How it works is after the applacation is made the Chica has to go to an interview at the US embassy in Palermo. There the state department has specialy trained interviewers that have the sole discression over granting a US Visa or not. Its at this point the Chica had better have her story together. In essence she must prove it would be an extreme economic hardship on her if she would stay in the USA and violate the terms of the Visa. She pretty much has to prove she's a millionaire before he's going to grant the Visa.

There are exceptions which are absolutely amazing, (Money doesn't talk, it screams)

I have a good friend who looks as though she could be a "Working Girl" Chica, gorgeous thing. She a brillant young girl of 24 years old whom I met through Roxana and a computer genius that a graduated from the University of Buenos Aires in computer programing. I had her build me a website and in the process we became good friends.

Well as the story goes on she asked me if I'd buy her a laptop and bring it down on my next trip since their so expensive in Argentina. I said sure, You pick out what you want on E-Bay and I'll buy two since I need one myself knowing nothing about computers and did so. (a sidebar is I paid $700 US for the computer she said would sell for $3,000 US in Argentina)

Anyway as this process was going on in my several months here in Sex Prison She was hired by Microsoft to program their software in Spanish for Argentina.

Well as the story goes on, Microsoft wanted her in Redmond Washington for a weeks training and she was very worried she couldn't get a Visa to go. Well guess what, along comes a letter from the Vice President of Human Resources of Microsoft Corporation addressed to the US State Department stating they needed this little girl in Redmond that very next next week. She was on an airplane three days latter with a 5 year Visa, come and go to the United States as you want too my dear.

So nothing is impossible, its just that you need a lot more "Juice" than most Mongers that post on this board ever dreamed of. I'm guessing that if that bureaucrat in the US Embassy had denied her Visa his job would be at risk.

As stated above, "Money & Power Doesn't Talk, It Screams"

By the way she later told me that Microsoft gave her a laptop computer that was 10 times better than the one I bought for her.

Exon

Easy Go
06-07-07, 23:32
The State Department grants a visa when it is convinced that the person isn't a risk to overstay the visa. A female Thai friend just got a 10 year visa without any problem but she has a good job, a 10 year work history, family in Bangkok, and the money to pay for the trip. If she had no job, no job history, and was getting the money from you for the trip, there's zero chance of getting a visa.

Mat
06-08-07, 12:35
The discussion is going on how hard it is to get a visa to visit the USA I agree whole heartedly with the situation & examples of lot of people being turned down for visa to visit.

However there are always exception to the rules, or the saying goes rules were made to be broken, in this instance I have personal knowledge of a girl getting a WORKING VISA in the US, which I never heard that any one has obtained, so it depends who do you know.

Money screams but but PoWER howls.

Hunt99
06-08-07, 13:11
If the girl is an Argentine citizen, the ability to get a visa at the US Embassy in Buenos Aires is much better. The advice here is very good - she must show ties to Argentina (land owned, a good job, kids she's leaving behind, money in the bank, pre-paid round trip ticket, etc.) Chances are she'll get a tourist visa in such a situation. She'll need to look professional in that interview - remind your friend that the hooker look may get customers, but not visas.

Many visa applicants show all of these characteristics by using forged documents. Of course I would never recommend doing this, but the fact of the matter is that they usually can't check out the truth or falsity of a fake bank statement now, can they?

Breakawaytx
06-11-07, 00:56
Thanks for the advice, guys. My friend is not a working girl, just a charming young creature whom I met last year.

Stevechh
06-11-07, 03:57
Thanks for the advice, guys. My friend is not a working girl, just a charming young creature whom I met last year.A work visa is very different from the tourist visa. If someone is highly skilled, as in the Microsoft example, the ability to obtain a work visa is quite high. However, 90% of Argentines are denied tourist visas to the U. S. The surest method is the fiancee visa. I've done it.

Hunt99
06-11-07, 12:59
A work visa is very different from the tourist visa. If someone is highly skilled, as in the microsoft example, the ability to obtain a work visa is quite high. HOwever, 90% of Argentines are denied tourist visas to the U. S. The surest method is the fiancee visa. I've done it.That's a one-time shot, of course. A girl can't visit on multiple fiancee visas, and I think a fellow will have problems getting his "fiancees" in eventually if he sponsors multiple girls for this honor.

The best idea for a girl is to buy a prepaid package tour for a one-week visit, come and leave, and later on try for another one for a longer visit (she'll also need all those documents discussed earlier in the thread, of course). Chances are good she could even get a 10-year multiple entry visa if she's a bit older and shows a history of legitimate tourism as opposed to long stays to work illegally. Some of the working girls discussed on this board have these kinds of visas, as a matter of fact.

El Perro
07-11-07, 15:40
I renewed my tourist visa today by going down to the immigration office in Retiro. Second time I have done it this way and exceedingly easy, particularly if you bring a photocopy of your passport face sheet and page with your last stamp. In and out in less than a half hour, and this was at 1pm. Still 100p. The area where you take care of this is on the opposite side of the room where it was last time. Seems to me I read or heard somewhere that you can only renew this way once or twice a year. Is this fact or scuttlebutt? Unless I had a hankering to get out of town, I would prefer this route every time. Beats the hell out of wasting a day in Colonia or whereever.

Facundo
07-12-07, 08:53
I renewed my tourist visa today by going down to the immigration office in Retiro. Second time I have done it this way and exceedingly easy, particularly if you bring a photocopy of your passport face sheet and page with your last stamp. In and out in less than a half hour, and this was at 1pm. Still 100p. The area where you take care of this is on the opposite side of the room where it was last time. Seems to me I read or heard somewhere that you can only renew this way once or twice a year. Is this fact or scuttlebutt? Unless I had a hankering to get out of town, I would prefer this route every time. Beats the hell out of wasting a day in Colonia or whereever.One can only renew at the immigration office in Retiro every other time. In about 3 months you need to get out of dodge to renew. Also, if the visa has expired, it cannot be renewed in the immagration office.

El Perro
07-12-07, 10:31
One can only renew at the immigration office in Retiro every other time. In about 3 months you need to get out of dodge to renew. Also, if the visa has expired, it cannot be renewed in the immagration office.Thanks for the feedback Facundo.

El Perro
05-19-08, 12:02
I renewed my tourist visa once again last week at the immigration office in Retiro. In and out in 45 minutes. Remember to bring not only your passport, but a copy of the passport demographic page and a copy of the page with your last entry stamp. 100p. Duck soup.

MCSE
10-07-08, 02:04
Looks like visitors will need to pay to enter Argentina. More info in Spanish at
http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/06102008/24/politica-argentina-cobrar-visa-ingreso-turistas-eeuu-canad-114-pa.html

Facundo
10-07-08, 05:14
Looks like visitors will need to pay US$131 to enter Argentina. More info in Spanish at.

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/06102008/24/politica-argentina-cobrar-visa-ingreso-turistas-eeuu-canad-114-pa.htmlIt appears to me Argentina is electing to imlement a Visa fee at the worst possible time. Markets are / have crashed world-wide and people are feeling poor. When spenders are feeling poor they cancel major purchases, vacations, etc. I think Argentina will give another excuse for tourists not to come to Argentina.

Also, the article doesn't state for how long is the visa? Is it three months or five years? If it's for a short period of time, how will it impact those who do not have residency in Argentina who go to Colonia / Retiro to renew their visa every three months? Will they have to pay US$131 every time they renew?

Member #3320
10-07-08, 05:27
Lets not jump to conclusions. Lets see what happens eventually.

It appears to me Argentina is electing to imlement a Visa fee at the worst possible time. Markets are / have crashed world-wide and people are feeling poor. When spenders are feeling poor they cancel major purchases, vacations, etc. I think Argentina will give another excuse for tourists not to come to Argentina.

Also, the article doesn't state for how long is the visa? Is it three months or five years? If it's for a short period of time, how wil it impact those who do not have residency in Argentina who go to Colonia / Retiro to renew their visa every three years? Will they have to pay US$131 every time they renew?

El Perro
10-07-08, 09:01
Looks like visitors will need to pay US$131 to enter Argentina. More info in Spanish at.

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/06102008/24/politica-argentina-cobrar-visa-ingreso-turistas-eeuu-canad-114-pa.htmlLooks like Cristina spent a little too much time with Lula recently.

MCSE
10-07-08, 13:33
I have re-readed the news, I'm sure title was accurate yesterday, they have changed the title, now it says that Argentines are currently paying USD 131 to enter to the USA, but does not makes any menction of how much Americans, Canadians and other 114 countries will be charged for entering to Argentina. I have edited my original post.

Yahoo news, menction "Los fondos recaudados se destinarán a modernizar los sistemas informáticos de las oficinas de migraciones, apuntaron las fuentes al aclarar que el monto y duración de la tasa de ingreso a Argentina se fijará en reciprocidad a la que aplican los países en cuestión."

Leads to think that fees will be different for each country, depending on how much they charge Argentinos for the visa. Something similar Brazil did a few years ago.

Exon123
10-07-08, 22:11
The CockSuckers.

Exon

Facundo
10-08-08, 08:05
It appears the government of Argentina is proceeding to adopt / implement the new visa regulation. I tried to get the actual details but the Minister of Interior public relations people still haven't responded to my e-mail. I think today we'll get the details after the new regulation is presented at noon:

BUENOS AIRES, Oct. 7 - Interior Minister Florencio Randazzo, tomorrow will present the new regulation to the Immigration Act which, in fact, compels residents of countries to get visas that ask for that document of Argentines, for example the United States.

The draft regulations of Law No. 25,871 will be presented at 12 o'clock in the hall of the Escudos of the Minister of the Interior by Randazzo and the director of Immigration, Martin Arias Duval.

BUENOS AIRES, Oct. 7 (DyN) - El ministro del Interior, Florencio Randazzo, presentará mañana la nueva reglamentación a la Ley Migratoria que, en los hechos, obligará a sacar visa a los habitantes de países que pidan ese documento a los argentinos, por ejemplo los Estados Unidos.

El proyecto de reglamentación de la ley Nº 25.871 será presentado las 12 en el salón de los Escudos del Ministerio del Interior por Randazzo why el director Nacional de Migraciones, Martín Arias Duval. A-5786

Facundo
10-08-08, 11:48
Here are two lenghty articles in apanish regarding the new visa fees. Sorry, I don't have time to translate them, but here are the esential points:

1. The fee, at least initially, will be collected at the entry point; airport, border corossing.

2. The fee will be reciprocal. If the USA charges $131 dollars, then Argentina will charge the person entering from that country the same fee,

3. Argentina expects to collect about 12 million dollars from these new visa fees. The money will be used to improve the enry posts around the country,

4. These new visa fees have nothing to do with the Wilson suitcase event.

Although these fees do not impact me, I have residency, DNI, and a European Union passport, I don't know at this point if the persons who go back and forth to Uruguay to renew their visa will have to pay every time or maybe pay a multi-entry fee. Canada, for example, has a multi-entry visa fee of AR$485 pesos for Argentines. If the visa fee is truly reciprocal then Canadians will have to pay the same for a multi-entry visa.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1057264
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elpais/1-112858-2008-10-06.html

Stan Da Man
10-08-08, 19:44
If you have any information on when this will go into effect, I would appreciate hearing it. With my limited Spanish facilities, I tried reading through the first article but saw nothing to indicate when the tax might be imposed. I'll be there in a month with two other partners, so I'm just interested in whether this will be in place by then.

($131 isn't a tremendously large amount of money, but some of the mongers on this board could probably negotiate a dozen or more sessions for that kind of dough. My negotiating skills aren't quite that well-honed yet. This sum probably represents just a firm handshake or a peck on the cheek for me.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows for sure when this tax gets imposed.

Facundo
10-08-08, 21:16
If you have any information on when this will go into effect, I would appreciate hearing it.The new visa fees will be in place in the next few days or as soon as Cristina signs the bill according to the attached article. The fees will impact 22 countries, including Canada, United States and Australia. North Americans will have to pay $131 dollars when they enter Argentina and Australians 100 dollars.

Suerte.

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/07102008/43/n-argentina-cobrar-xe1-n-visado-turistas-extranjeros-22-pa-xed.html

MCSE
10-08-08, 21:46
Thanks a lot Facundo for the info, I was kind of confused about it, since the government wasn't very clear about the fees they wanted to charge. I understand there is no fee for Argentines entering to European countries (at least I'm sure for refferences of Arg friends who travelled to Spain, Italy and France) so I guess that being Italian would have no cost for entering.

In addition, I would like to know, if being Italian, but, entering to EZEIZA from the USA for example, will make you elegible to pay the fee?

El Perro
10-08-08, 21:51
Thanks a lot Facundo for the info, I was kind of confused about it, since the government wasn't very clear about the fees they wanted to charge. I understand there is no fee for Argentines entering to European countries (at least I'm sure for refferences of Arg friends who travelled to Spain, Italy and France) so I guess that being Italian would have no cost for entering.

In addition, I would like to know, if being Italian, but, entering to EZEIZA from the USA for example, will make you elegible to pay the fee?For sure it will depend on your passport.

I'm going down to Retiro tomorrow or Friday to renew my tourist visa. I'll report on any changes, snafus or fee increases.

Facundo
10-08-08, 22:41
In addition, I would like to know, if being Italian, but, entering to EZEIZA from the USA for example, will make you elegible to pay the fee?No fees for those who enter Argentina from the USA or whatever country as long as they present an european union passport.

In bocca al lupo.

Exon123
10-08-08, 23:43
The MotherFucking CockSuckers.

Exon

Easy Go
10-09-08, 00:50
That article is from Tuesday and the official announcement wasn't until Wednesday. I've yet to see anything (and I've been looking) that clearly lays out the fees and conditions. Something is going to happen but the specifics are still speculation. It might be real reciprocity ($131 for a 10 year, multi-entry visa with a pain-in-the butt application process and random rejections just like the USA) it might be idiotic reciprocity like Brazil with a fee of $131, a PITA process, and a visa good for just 90 days, or it might be something in between, e. G. $100 per entry paid on arrival. If anybody knows yet, they are not talking.

There were lots of web site comments on today's article in La Nacion. As you might expect most were praising the "social justice" of reciprocity while totally ignoring that they might be shooting themselves in the foot. Most people seemed to be assuming that it would have absolutely no impact on tourist visits from the USA and Canada. Personally, with crazy rising prices in Argentina and the crashing world economy, I think the tourist business was already on track for a big 2009 crash. Screwing the visa thing up will only make it worse.

Hopefully, they will think things through before acting and nobody will get hurt. After all, isn't that what governments are really good at doing?

El Queso
10-09-08, 00:57
I have to wonder, really, how quickly they could start such a process anyway? The truth is, I can't see them all of the sudden telling people they can't get a visa on arrival, that they have to get one before. Not that it couldn't grow into that at some point.

But if they are still going to allow people to come here and get a visa on arrival, how will they accept the money? They have nothing now but a booth with a person sitting inside, a computer and scanning equipment basically at the airport. It's a bit more chaotic and open at Buquebus, and would seem even more difficult to implement. The border at places like between Paraguay and Argentina where the buses cross may be a little easier to manage but they won't be gettign very many US, Canadian and other non-Mercorsur residents crossing I woudln't think.

Considering that most places here cannot even allow the same person to both attend a client AND take their money (you always have a vendedor and a cajero, separate work tasks except for true mom and pop shops and kioscos for the most part) I'd be surprised that they could just decide one day to start accepting money from all the foreigners who come to visit.

Again, not that they wouldn't do that at some point, but how much time would it really take to get all the apparatus in place (not just physical components like cash registers and such, but procedures, personnel assignments, etc) at all the border crossings, that it would take to do that?

Easy Go
10-09-08, 01:17
A friend looked at the La Nacion article for me and she says it definitely says that it will be implemented as a "visa on arrival" fee (I'm weak on tenses so "will", "could", and "should" pretty much all look the same to me).

I don't see where this necessarily means a fee per entry as your passport and the immigration system could easily indicate if you've paid a visa on arrival fee in the last x years.

But greed so often outweighs common sense and the search for "social justice" and "easily" usually means "impossible to implement" in government-speak.

Moore
10-09-08, 01:39
I have to wonder, really, how quickly they could start such a process anyway? The truth is, I can't see them all of the sudden telling people they can't get a visa on arrival, that they have to get one before. Not that it couldn't grow into that at some point.After the Jan-02 devaluation, when the USD per capita income of Argentines fell 70% overnight, the USA put Argentina back on the visa-required list within months.

Some of the newcomers may not know that Argentines didn't need a US visa for several years prior to 2002.

For those of you say there is no reason to have Argentine residency/DNI - here's a good one.

Dickhead
10-09-08, 05:24
Well, yeah, I was one of those who said that and this could certainly make me re-think that but it definitely depends if it's a multi-entry thing or not. Still, to get residency I'd have to go back to SP and I could pay $131 quite a few times for what it would cost me to do that, given current air fares, hotel costs, blah blah. What it might make a lot more attractive is the opportunity to stand in line to leave every six months instead of every three months. That's what, 110 pesos now?

But, since we appear to be entering a world-wide depression, a lot of things need to be re-thought. For example, I've left and re-entered about twenty times now but if I never had left, I certainly wouldn't have gotten busted. Yet. So maybe I will just stop leaving and see what happens. My guess is nothing. If I do overstay, the worst they can do is throw me out and never let me back in and my guess is the consequences would be much less severe than that.

What I'm saying is, all the time I've been here I could never have left and so far I would have gotten away with it. So far. I've never been asked to show any kind of papers and I've had no contact with the cops. One friend of mine was on the bus crossing from the city to the provincias and the cops boarded the bus and asked everyone for ID and he showed his US driver's license and he was fine. He actually has residency but never carries the proof.

Obviously at some point I'd need to leave (unless I die and the probability of dying is 1) and it would catch up with me and money would change hands. The question becomes, how much money? In my experience in Latin America, asking for forgiveness costs less than asking for permission.

Facundo
10-09-08, 05:48
It might be real reciprocity ($131 for a 10 year, multi-entry visa with a pain-in-the butt application process and random rejections just like the USA) it might be idiotic reciprocity like Brazil with a fee of $131, a PITA process, and a visa good for just 90 days, or it might be something in between, e. G. $100 per entry paid on arrival. If anybody knows yet, they are not talking.

(QUOTE=Easy Go)

According to the officials it will not be a Brazilian or USA pain in the ass type visa. I think if the visa regulations are too rigorous then there won't be any room for a liitle corruption. Here is an interesting quote:

"The presidential decree does not stipulate restrictions on entry of foreign citizens as it happens with the Argentines in the USA and member countries of the European Union. This indicates that despite claims that may arise from the foreign delegations in the country, Argentina has widely tolerant immigration policies."

"El decreto presidencial no estipula restricciones al ingreso de los ciudadanos extranjeros como acaso ocurre con los argentinos en los EEUU why en los países miembros de la Unión Europea. Esto indica que, pese a los reclamos que puedan originarse en las delegaciones extranjeras en el país, la Argentina posee un régimen ampliamente tolerante en políticas migratorias."

Suerte

Facundo
10-09-08, 10:59
La Nación reported this morning that the new visa regulations will be implemented in January of 2009. Also, it reported many in the business of tourism have responded vigorously against the new visa fees.

Suerte.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1057553&pid=5188773&toi=6276

El Perro
10-09-08, 11:22
La Nación reported this morning that the new visa regulations will be implemented in January of 2009. Also, it reported many in the business of tourism have responded vigorously against the new visa fees.

Suerte.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1057553&pid=5188773&toi=6276I doubt if the Kirchners give a shit about the tourism sector complaints at this point. Tourism is likely to decline anyway given other factors, and probably has been declining at least some over the past year. In addition, while the government has profited from tourism, they have not profited to the degree that the local real estate sector has. Yes, the VAT charges have helped, but how much?

It looks like the government is pulling out all stops to pour money into the coffers in preparation for their financial obligations for 2009. The worldwide meltdown has made this more of a priority, with the possibility of a deflating peso, commodity prices on the decline, etc. And, the government has made some faint noises recently about actually trying to do something about inflation. If you are a believer that tourism has increased inflation to some degree (particularly in housing) then the government may have that in mind as well.

Dancesw/Chicas
10-09-08, 12:47
I know this new fee will certainly lower the number of Americans going

to Argentina. Some of my friends here don't travel to Brazil, for example,

because of the visa fees. It's not so much the money, it's the hassle of

it. Many countries like Costa Rica and Mexico are much more welcoming of

tourists dollars.

And by the way, could someone explain to me, if this fee is a one time fee

good for 5 years like Brazil, or if it is to be pay every single time we enter

Argentina?

DWC

Monger514
10-09-08, 17:24
Some of my friends here don't travel to Brazil, for example, because of the visa fees. It's not so much the money, it's the hassle of it.That describes me perfectly. After my last visa expired, I decided not to go to Brazil anymore. For sure I would have done a couple of trips in the last two years, if it wasn't so difficult.

Fewer tourists will come and bring fewer tourist dollars. Government officials can never see the side effects of their policies.

Punter 127
10-09-08, 19:13
Fewer tourists will come and bring fewer tourist dollars. Government officials can never see the side effects of their policies.So following normal Argentine business practices at this point they will increase the visa amount?

Monger514
10-09-08, 19:42
Precisely. It's like that old Steve Martin routine where he started calculating how much he would make if he started charging $800 a ticket.

After tourism drops off, they'll double the fee.

Easy Go
10-09-08, 19:48
US passport holders will pay $131 each trip on arrival.

I wonder how short exits will be handled? For example, if during a visit to BA, you go to Colonia for a day. Do you get wacked for another $131 to re-enter Argentina? If you are on a cruise that does BA, Malvinas, Ushuia, Punta Arenas, and BA, do need to pay $131x3? What about the workers on ship with affected passports? Do they have to pay to get off the ship for a few hours? What about airline crews? I've seen nothing about these kinds of situations.

Member #3320
10-09-08, 20:14
US passport holders will pay $131 each trip on arrival. What about the workers on ship with affected passports? Do they have to pay to get off the ship for a few hours? Easy Go,

Workers of ships (namely seamen aka sailors aka marineros) never have to pay anything to get off the ship for few hours when the ship is visiting the port. Every seamen has something called a "seaman's book" along with his passport. Before the ship comes to port, the data on every crew member is sent before hand to the officials of the country via a hired agent by the company of the ship. When the ship comes to port (say to Mar del Plata) the immigration officials come and meet the captain (eg me!) They check the passport & seamen's books of all the seamen, do some more paper work and issue what is called "shore pass" for every seamen. This shore pass is issued without charging any fees to the seaman ( even if he is an American!!). This shore pass is enough for the sea man to go ashore for a few hours within the international laws.

FYI, the shore pass does has some limitations. It can not be used to travel to another city of the country. eg, The seaman comes to Buenos aires. He can not go on "shore leave" to Mar del Plata and catch a flight to Mendoza. It would be illegal and he would be legally penalized for it ( Its called desertion of the vessel)! However, if the same ship goes from BA to another port of Argentina, another shore pass to each seaman will be issued via the same procedure.

You may think why is this shore pass for free. Nothing is free in this world! The company of the ship usually pays something called "port dues" to the port. This money goes in the treasury of the country/Port. However this port dues comprises of many things on behalf of the company than just the seaman's shore pass. The port dues are directly handled between the company and the port and usually the Captain, just signs some documents on behalf of the company, and doesn't deal with it.

Trust this answers all your queries regarding the above topic.

Saludos.

Daddy Rulz
10-09-08, 20:20
The fee is a pain in the ass but if it doesn't have the complications of Brazil I doubt it will affect tourism. Brazil is a pain in the ass because you have to go through an application process, if this is more like a cover charge like Chile it would be ok. Chili is about 100 bucks and the visa is good for unlimited arrivals for the life of the passport.

Cover charge=common practice.

Complicated visa application=bad news.

El Queso
10-09-08, 20:41
Yeah DR I agree. I don't think they're really doing anything more than trying to make some money. Therefore, I think that going to a visa application process would be more than just trying to get more money - it basically would be a complete reversal of Argentina policy related to immigration, as far as having mostly open borders.

I'm going to see a lawyer tomorow about some issues related to getting my residency. Today I specifically asked him about this new law and he said he didn't think it would be a problem as far as entry to the country goes, just a monetary issue. But he didn't know everything about it yet.

He is going to have a meeting with some immigration officials in the morning and promised to learn more and talk to me about what he learns in our meeting. I'll pass along whatever I find out.

Facundo
10-09-08, 21:07
The fee is a pain in the ass but if it doesn't have the complications of Brazil I doubt it will affect tourism. Brazil is a pain in the ass because you have to go through an application process, if this is more like a cover charge like Chile it would be ok. Chili is about 100 bucks and the visa is good for unlimited arrivals for the life of the passport.

Cover charge=common practice.

Complicated visa application=bad news.Everything I've read so far tells me the process will be a simple process. The Government expects to collect only 12 milliom per year which is a modest amount. What we don't know is the lenght of the visa and if it will allow for multiple entries. I've written to the Ministerio del Interior and hopefully his representative will respond shortly.

Suerte

Jackpot
10-09-08, 21:08
Senior Moore,

Your post says a DNI will exempt the holder, extranero - foreign temporary residency visa holder, from the impending "Visa TAX".

Please provide the source for this as it effects a lot of us come and go mongers.

Thanks, Jackpot

Rock Harders
10-09-08, 21:32
Mongers, Jackpot, etal-

Holders of valid DNI's with either temporary or permanent residency obviously will not have to pay any tourist visa tax to enter Argentina because they are entering on a temporary residency visa, NOT a tourist visa. When I renew my residency every August, I pay $200 AR for the priviledge. Once this becomes permanent after next year, I will not have to pay anything more.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Stan Da Man
10-09-08, 21:42
Everything I've read so far tells me the process will be a simple process. The Government expects to collect only 12 milliom per year which is a modest amount.I'm not questioning your figures, but if I've done my math right then $12 million per year would be less than 100,000 taxable tourists just from the U. S. Per year. Perhaps I'm just over-estimating the level of tourism in Argentina, but this would be just 250 or so new U. S. Tourists per day. Seems like there are many more than that on the flights that I've taken down, and in the non-resident entry lines I've waited in at EZE. Add in the rest of the countries subject to tax and it seems the $12 million number should be still higher.

I assume all of these figures are in dollars, not pesos, correct? Are the same people who tabulate the inflation data responsible for these numbers? Is $12 million the government's take and the rest goes to the Kirchner re-election fund?

Again, Facundo, I don't mean to imply that I'm attacking you. You've been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.

Facundo
10-09-08, 22:39
I'm not questioning your figures, but if I've done my math right then $12 million per year would be less than 100,000 taxable tourists just from the U. S. Per year. Perhaps I'm just over-estimating the level of tourism in Argentina, but this would be just 250 or so new U. S. Tourists per day. Seems like there are many more than that on the flights that I've taken down, and in the non-resident entry lines I've waited in at EZE. Add in the rest of the countries subject to tax and it seems the $12 million number should be still higher.

I assume all of these figures are in dollars, not pesos, correct? Are the same people who tabulate the inflation data responsible for these numbers? Is $12 million the government's take and the rest goes to the Kirchner re-election fund?

Again, Facundo, I don't mean to imply that I'm attacking you. You've been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.Stan da Man, I don't feel attacked. I've also questioned the figures. Over 400,000 visitors per year come from North America, but the various newspapers reported that the annual take from the new visa regulations that impact 22 countries will be about US$12 million or $40 million pesos (El ministerio del Interior estima que se recaudarán con los visados $ 40 millones al año)

Stan, bienvenido a Argentina a country of contradictions, shoddy stats, and a country without memory, but then again, we are here for all the other stuff; beautiful women, a rich culture, great writers, artists, and the opportunity to encounter different people if one just travels a few miles outside of the center of the Buenos Aires.

I hope to have more info on this story as soon as they release it.

Suerte.

Daddy Rulz
10-10-08, 00:26
I'm not questioning your figures, but if I've done my math right then $12 million per year would be less than 100,000 taxable tourists just from the U. S. Per year. Perhaps I'm just over-estimating the level of tourism in Argentina, but this would be just 250 or so new U. S. Tourists per day. Seems like there are many more than that on the flights that I've taken down, and in the non-resident entry lines I've waited in at EZE. Add in the rest of the countries subject to tax and it seems the $12 million number should be still higher.

Again, Facundo, I don't mean to imply that I'm attacking you. You've been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.That was reported in error, 12 million will be the skim, not the amount raised.

Moore
10-10-08, 02:32
Senior Moore,

Your post says a DNI will exempt the holder, extranero - foreign temporary residency visa holder, from the impending "Visa TAX".

Please provide the source for this as it effects a lot of us come and go mongers.

Thanks, JackpotSorry, I don't understand the question. Could you point out the post you're referring to?

I think Rock may have answered it below.

Easy Go
10-10-08, 03:35
The La Nacion article reported 286,240 US visitors and 32,925 Canadian visitors arrived in EZE in 2007. But I'm guessing that includes all visitors, not just tourists. I've got to think that lots of folks are going to be exempt, e. G. Airline crews, diplomats, business visas, and family visas. Plus we still don't know if the tax will be collected every visit or if it will cover multiple entries. From the things I've read, the government is assuming that the tax will have little to no effect on the number of visitors. Depending on the details, $US12M might be optimistic.

If they copy Chile's reciprocity tax, the $131 payment will cover all visits until the passport expires. I'd guess that a tax like that won't have a significant effect on visits.

Inflation in Argentina and and the on-going world financial crisis are going to be much bigger factors effecting tourist visits going forward. I don't see how the tourist business is going to avoid taking a big hit.

Facundo
10-10-08, 09:02
This morning I heard from a friend who works for the Ministerio del Interior (low level position) She told me she was told the new visa for American passport holders will be valid for ten years or the life of the passport. Also, she confirmed the fee will be US$134. The information given to me is unofficial. However, if true, it will hardly impact those who re-new their visa every three months by exiting and returning to Argentina.

Suerte.

Julio
10-10-08, 10:26
Fewer tourists will come and bring fewer tourist dollars. Government officials can never see the side effects of their policies.Yes, and that would be a great distress for all argentines here.

It would be a pity that guys like AP mongers who love so much this country, most or all it's people, should refrain to keep on coming, or be forced to leave for such unequal economic reasons.

But I'm sure, as Monger514 says, that Cristina's government will find a solution in a trouble of such magnitude.

Stan Da Man
10-10-08, 12:09
Here's some info from a U. S. Paper saying it won't go into effect until Jan. 1 and the tax will be effective for 10 years:

Argentina plans reciprocal visitor fee.

The Associated Press.

Article Launched: 10/09/2008 09:17:26 AM PDT.

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina—The interior minister says Argentina will soon charge visitors from the U. S. And 21 other countries a fee to enter the country.

The fee goes into effect Jan. 1 and will match what those countries charge Argentine tourists.

Although details have not been released, U. S. Citizens will probably be charged $131, a fee that covers re-entry for 10 years. That's the equivalent of what the U. S. Charges Argentine tourists.

Argentina joins Brazil, Bolivia and Chile in charging U. S. Visitors a fee to enter the country.

Interior Minister Florencio Randazzo calls the fee "an act of justice."

He said Wednesday that "it's not fair that they charge an Argentine traveling to Miami $131" and aren't charged anything in return.

http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_10678020

El Perro
10-10-08, 15:01
Did the 90 day renewal today at Immigration in Retiro. No change. Still 100p. Pretty big crowd. Friday is probably not the day to go. Took about two hours.

Daddy Rulz
10-10-08, 21:22
http://www.mercurynews.com/travel/ci_10678020[/url]Figured this had to be coming someday, it's too big of a revenue stream to go untapped.

El Queso
10-10-08, 21:42
I spoke with my lawyer today (after his meeting with the guys at Inmigraciones) and he confirmed pretty much what everyone is saying here.

He said the intention at this point is just to charge an entry fee on arrival and it will last for the length of the passport. Who knows how long this latest intention will last.

He also said that no one is really 100% sure what is going to happen going forward. There are many people who are outraged and pissed off that the US government makes it so hard to go there (and I'm in agreement with their feelings on that subject) and that this may not stop at just a tax to enter the country. There are many people in the government who want to make it more difficult and require a visa to be obtained before hand for any country who does the same to Argentinos.

I had an interesting conversation with him after we discussed the law itself.

I asked him why people were so intent on being as "bad" as the Americans? Argentina has fairly open borders now (and as I understand, are proud of that fact) and making things more difficult in terms of requiring visas in advance as a reciprocity measure would be stooping to the level of "those damned Americans." Why shoot yourself in the foot by reducing the number of tourism dollars that may be held back just to make a point that no one in the government in Washington would give one rat's ass about anyway?

For once, why can't someone who disagrees with a policy like that do BETTER than the Americans instead of going for "tit-for-tat"?

He looked at me for a moment and I swear I could literally see the light go on in his head. He said "Tenes todo la rason!" He really liked what I had to say, and he admitted at that point that he was actually one of those who often feels the need to "punish" foreginers in this manner and told me that was a really good way of looking at things.

At that point he began talking about one of his buddies, who is apparently a spin doctor who has the ear of La Presidente, and he was going to mention exactly what I said to this guy.

Who knows - maybe I have just put some advice in the ear of Cristina.;)

Exon123
10-10-08, 21:49
The CockSuckers.

Exon

Easy Go
10-10-08, 22:10
An article today said that implementation has been postponed until 1 March. Pay on arrival $131 for the life of the passport isn't going to have a huge impact. But it might get blamed when tourism is down 40% next year due to other factors.

Damman
10-10-08, 22:38
I can understand the Argentines for their reaction. Know we can paint the Visa thing every which way: corruption. The Authorities in the U. S. Are out of control, all in the name of "protecting our borders. I watched a lady going through U. S. Customs and Immigration at Toronto Airport and it was disgusting. If you are an alien or on a visitor's visa, you are fucked. Looked at that immigration SOB and he was just begging me to say something. It was a no win thing. Honestly was ashamed to say I was an American. Maybe when Bush hits the unemployment line, he can have a little taste of the bullshit that goes on. Jingoism is alive and well.

El Queso
10-11-08, 00:02
What should I do?If you really want to - go for it. Worst case scenario for you is that you do what I'm doing, go see a lawyer and get yourself a retirement visa (although I'm doing mine through my wife, not as a retirement) within a month or so.

(and I'm sure I'm going to hear from everyone how they can tell me exactly how to get the visa and don't waste money on a lawyer, yadda, yadda, yadda, except I work by the hour and my time is precious)

But really, I don't believe that they are going to change their policy on letting people in as far as making it more difficult.

I'm starting to wonder if they are really going to do anything when it comes down to it, with the changes the reporting on the law has had since it came out.

Daddy Rulz
10-11-08, 00:19
I can understand the Argentines for their reaction. Know we can paint the Visa thing every which way: corruption. The Authorities in the U. S. Are out of control, all in the name of "protecting our borders. I watched a lady going through U. S. Customs and Immigration at Toronto Airport and it was disgusting. If you are an alien or on a visitor's visa, you are fucked. Looked at that immigration SOB and he was just begging me to say something. It was a no win thing. Honestly was ashamed to say I was an American. Maybe when Bush hits the unemployment line, he can have a little taste of the bullshit that goes on. Jingoism is alive and well.Washington is the worst, once I was coming through there and I had folded my customs form up and stuck it in my passport, the asshole in the cubicle looked at it and said "do you think you coulda wrinkled this some more?" I was pretty tired after spending 11 hours in a seat between Joey the fucking farter and Howie the burper so I was at Defcon 4 and I responded "no but if you want me to I'll give it a shot."

Dickweed gives me the look and asks me "what did you say?" So I said "I'm not sure if I can wrinkle that anymore but if you want me to I'll give it a try."

He actually asked me if I was looking for trouble.

My response "not really but what are you gonna do kick me out? Deny me entrance? That passport in your hand, my passport, it's a US passport I'm allowed to come in."

He glared at me some more but passed me, fuck those assholes. Not that we don't need them but some of them are just cocksuckers.

Member #3320
10-18-08, 04:45
Found this somewhere. It might be of interest to many forum members.

New visitor and immigration legislation announced for Argentina.

Effective 01 January 2009, Argentina will implement new fees and new immigration rules for foreign visitors. During a press conference, Interior Minister Florencio Randazzo announced a new fee that will apply to visitors who wish to come into the country -- however, the fee will only apply to visitors from countries that charge fees to Argentines coming into their countries.

Effectively, citizens of western countries -- such as the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia -- are being targeted. In all, 22 countries will be affected. "This is an act of justice," Randazzo said, noting the fees will apply to tourists and immigrants. "The fee is reciprocal; it is not restrictive in nature, not at all."

The introduction of reciprocal visa charges means that the cost of a visa for foreigners wishing to enter Argentina will be approximately the same as that charged to Argentines applying for a comparable visa. Thus, for U. S. Visitors, the current fee is intended to be set at about USD $134.

The rules change does not mean visitors will have to actually apply for a visa. Once the charge is paid, it covers the visitor for re-entry for a 10 year period.

New law.

Substantial portions of Argentina's current immigration and visitor regulations date back to the military dictatorship that ran the country from 1976 to 1983. Randazzo characterized the new rules -- which are to be announced in "the near future" -- as being based upon "the premise that Argentina should have never lost sight of its role regarding immigration."

He added that "Argentina grew and developed on the strength of immigration."

The new law, No. 25871, will replace the current legislation. The regulations were drawn up with the help of several respected international organizations, including the United Nations' High Commission for Refugees, the International Organization for Migration and the Permanent Assembly for Human Rights.

Randazzo continued: "[the law] will allow [the government] to raise funds for the modernization of border passes across the country." Estimates are that the new fees will generate approximately 40 million dollars annually.

Randazzo also made reference to the recent tightening of immigration legislation in Europe. He said that Argentina's implementation of this new law would encourage immigration at a time when the world is showing an increasingly negative attitude toward migration. He characterized the legislation and policy shift as placing his country "on the forefront of migratory policies."

Some of Argentina's neighboring countries -- such as Chile, Bolivia and Brazil -- already have made similar policy shifts. Randazzo pointed out what he said is the 'unfair situation' where "Argentine citizens visiting the United Sates must pay a visa fee of $134 USD, while U. S. Citizens visiting Argentina may enter the country for 90 days free of charge."

In the Argentine economy, $134 USD is a more difficult expense for citizens to pay than it is for citizens of more westernized economies.

According to Randazzo, the decision to develop and implement the new law was reached by "considerable consensus." The legislation has been in negotiation and development for "more than four years."

The 'cornerstone' of the policy shift, as described by Randazzo, is "Equal requirements for all, regardless of country of origin." Randazzo stated that the new law amounts to "returning to the concept of welcoming [foreigners] with arms open wide, the same spirit our grandparents were received with."

El Perro
12-24-08, 16:15
FYI-someone posted on the Yahoo BANewcomers site that the $130US (or whatever) visa fee, scheduled to begin with the New Year, has been postponed to at least March. Just reporting it as I read it. Good news if true.

Tequila Tim
12-24-08, 20:11
An article today said that implementation has been postponed until 1 March. Pay on arrival $131 for the life of the passport isn't going to have a huge impact. But it might get blamed when tourism is down 40% next year due to other factors.This is a good point Easy Go. Personally, $134 isn't a big issue for me since I visit 3 or 4 times a year. But a family of 4 just considering visiting once is looking at a $500 surcharge. I bet it matters a lot in a situation such as this.

Pishqa
12-31-08, 00:53
Sounds just like the "reciprocity fee" collected by Chile, payable in cash on arrival. For Chile, it is valid for the life of the passport. Bolivia has a similar fee while Paraguay and Brazil both require a visa obtained in advance.

This is the first I had heard about it.

Bodhi
01-22-09, 23:23
Hiya,

Can someone kindly confirm with some official office that the $134 US, visa tax for entering AR, is postponed until March 1, 2009?

I need to exit the country for visa extension asap, so this dependable information is cardinal. Not sure how to confirm it myself. Migraciones phones are nearly inaccessible.

Thanks

Tessan
01-23-09, 02:52
I came in last Friday, I ask about the tax, was told it will not start until March. I did not pay anything.

Facundo
01-23-09, 05:28
Hiya,

Can someone kindly confirm with some official office that the $134 US, visa tax for entering AR, is postponed until March 1, 2009?

I need to exit the country for visa extension asap, so this dependable information is cardinal. Not sure how to confirm it myself. Migraciones phones are nearly inaccessible.

Thanks.It's been in the newspapers that the visa fee is postponed until March1, 2009. Here is the official Ministerio del Interior site that tells you which citizens of countries must / must not pay the visa fee. Just select the country and it will tell you if you are required to pay the fee:

http://www.mrecic.gov.ar/portal/temas_consulares/visas.html

There is a good chance the fee will be postponed again. The tourism industry is lobbying heavily to eliminate it entirely. The government is being bombarded with doom and gloom stories regarding the additional economic impact the fee will have on tourism. One five star hotel back in November reported one million dollars less of reservations as compared to the previous year.

Regardless, travel and don't worry about the fee for at least another 5 weeks.

Suerte

Bodhi
01-24-09, 21:35
Thanks Facundo, for the detailed, informed and encouraging reply.

Were all Argies (not implying that you are one, as I have no idea) so correct and cordial and informed, our lives here would be much easier, and more pleasant indeed.

Facundo
02-03-09, 14:53
Do you have the address and directions to to renewal office in Retiro?

Thanks!Sidney, here is the address:

Av. Antártida Argentina 1355 | C1104ACA Buenos Aires.

However, I believe, if you are over the 90 day limit you can't renew in Retiro. What you have to do is take a trip out of the country and pay a $50 peso fine. The simplest thing to do is go to Colonia. After you buy your ticket let immigration know you overstayed and they will do a little paperwork and tell you where to go in the terminal to pay. Just in case there are others paying a fine you might want to get there an hour before the boat is launched.

Suerte

Facundo
02-03-09, 15:23
I wasn't sure if it could be done at the Buquebus Terminal. I'll try it about March 1.Sidney, since you are thinking of traveling around the first week of March, you could be the first Australian to pay the new visa fee if they decide to finally implement it.

Suerte

El Perro
02-03-09, 15:28
Sidney, since you are thinking of traveling around the first week of March, you could be the first Australian to pay the new visa fee if they decide to finally implement it.

Suerte.Ha Ha. Sid- better get your aussie butt over to Colonia and back before you have to pay an extra $130US!

Facundo
02-08-09, 06:50
"La Nacion" reported today that, beginning March 1, the fees for boarding international and local flights will go up 69% and 140% , respectively. Boarding fees for international flights out of Ezeiza will rise from US$18 to US$ 29 and at airports like Jorge Newbery the fees will rise from AR$6.05 to AR$14.50.

Foreigners and locals alike pay these fees.

("La suba para los vuelos internos, la primera desde 1998, será de 139,7%. A partir del 1° de marzo, la tasa será de $ 14,50 contra los 6,05 actuales en los aeropuertos de mayor tráfico, como aeroparque Jorge Newbery why los de Mendoza, Bariloche, Córdoba, Tucumán, Salta e Iguazú.

Para los vuelos internacionales, el aumento será de 61,1% en dólares. Así, la tasa pasará de los US$ 18 actuales a 29 en Ezeiza, Aeroparque why el resto de los aeropuertos más transitados del país")

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1097710&pid=5807189&toi=6262

Quick78
03-02-09, 05:18
I am flying MIA to Sao Paulo in 2 weeks. I know that you need a visa to get into Brazil, but since I am in transit and am not entering Brazil, do I need to get one anyway? My layover in Sao Paulo is 3 hrs if I am not mistaken.

Facundo
03-02-09, 07:29
I am flying MIA to Sao Paulo in 2 weeks. I know that you need a visa to get into Brazil, but since I am in transit and am not entering Brazil, do I need to get one anyway? My layover in Sao Paulo is 3 hrs if I am not mistaken.No. However, do not plan on leaving the secured area of the airport. All documents must show you are continuing on to a third country and you won't be staying longer than 8 hours in the boarding area. Here is the basic rule.

"2. A transit visa will not be required if the foreigners are in a continuous trip, which is interrupted only for mandatory stop overs of the means of transportation utilized."

Suerte

Facundo
03-02-09, 10:49
Spoke with officials from the "Secretaria de Turismo" and "Migraciones" regarding the implementation of the reciprocal Visa Fee for citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada and a bunch of other countries. This is what they said; we have not received instructions and we don't see it being implemented in the near future (meaning over the next few weeks)

The visa fee was supposed to be implemented on January 1, but it was postponed until the 1st of March. Now, it appears, it is postponed without any announcements. Also, spoke with immigration at the airport and they confirmed that they have not received any instructions and they are not ready to implement the collection of the visa fees.

Bartonsky
12-03-09, 17:51
I booked my tix today and they said I need to book a return flight within 90 days so I just picked something close to 90 days even though I plan to stay in South Am. Longer. I understand I can take some bus to Uruguay and get my passport stamped again. However what do I do with the return flight. It sounds like I can postpone further but the lady at the airline made it sound like I would have to show them when I left the country. How do I show them my passport? Just curious how this works? Or how people travel around SA with all these Visa requirements of return flights.

Thanks,

Bart

Damman
12-03-09, 18:48
Am not an expert for sure on this Tourist Visa thing. When I checked in with Delta for this trip to Buenos Aires, they threw me a curve with the 90 day return policy. They were not going to let me board unless my confirmed return was within 90 days. It has never been an issue before, but it seems to be something new: 90 day limit. Tried explaining the automatic 90 day extension for a Tourist Visa, but they wanted no part of that idea. I have heard the best way to get around this 90 day thing is to have an itinerary where you can show a booking where you shall be leaving the country within the 90 days: multiple country trip. It has been suggested to book a boat ride to Uruguay and show them that reservation. The cost is minimal. Do not really have an answer to your question, but I too did experienced a problem with the 90 day return policy with Delta.

Bartonsky
12-03-09, 19:24
Ok thanks. I guess I am just unclear what power the airlines have in these situations. For example my plan is to stay at first a month in BA then maybe go to Columbia for a bit then maybe come back to BA. So when I postpone my return flight home to the states do I need to show them somehow my flight to Columbia as proof I left. It just seems like they are acting like border agents. Is the airline going to report me to the govt if they don't get good documentation?

I don't understand who to follow. I mean what do all these back packers do that travel around the world in a year. They have no plan or money to blow on return flights etc. Most of them just take buses everywhere. So are there no rules when you travel by ground vs air?

Damman
12-03-09, 19:40
Know what you are saying, but this thing seems to be something new. It is a U. S. Airline thing. They do not want to be stuck with you. It is not an issue with foreign carriers: Mexican, LAN. Have heard the Argentine Officials are turning up the heat on multiple Tourist Visa renewals. As with about everything in Argentine, enforcement is optional. Good Luck.

SteveC
12-03-09, 22:43
I normally enter Argentina with a departure date about 6 months after arrival. Never had a problem apart from one occasion about 4 years ago. I was coming from Sydney with Qantas and the bastards wouldn't allow me aboard unless I bought a ticket to leave Argentina within 90 days. I bought a refundable ticket to Montevideo and then got the money back once I was back home.

Damman
12-15-09, 11:22
Anyone been hit with this fee?

Entry Request Fee.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

Damman
12-15-09, 12:05
CITIZEN SERVICES.

Travelers Information.

Airport Entry Fee.

December 11, 2009

This warning message is being issued to alert U. S. Citizens that on December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging American Citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 U. S. Dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages/airport-entry-fee--december-11-2009.html

El Perro
10-07-10, 12:04
I went down to immigration in Retiro to renew my tourist visa this morning. I was sternly informed that this would be the last time I could renew in Retiro. I was urged to file for residency. I questioned whether I could continue to renew the visa by leaving the country and received a shrugged shoulder in response and a grudging affirmative. So, the days of renewing, for me, without leaving the country are over. Actually, I wish I had just headed over to Colonia as usual. Now, hand written in my passport, next to the 90 day extension granted today is "Ultima Proroga". Meaning "last renewal". They wrote the same thing awhile back when I went to Retiro, but I intrepreted it as meaning I would have to leave the country at least once before I could again renew in Retiro. The way it worked previously was that you could only renew in Retiro every other time.

A fat chick with a voice lower than mine informed me, "you are no longer a tourist in Argentina". Hey, I've only been here a little less than five years! No sense of humor!

BTW-there was no mention of the 180 in and 180 out issue that has been making the rounds of expat gossip boards lately.

Jaimito Cartero
10-07-10, 12:15
You could always get a new passport.

Hoatzin
06-03-12, 16:25
Airport Entry Fee.

December 11, 2009.

The Government of Argentina will begin charging American Citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 USA Dollars. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/warden_messages/airport-entry-fee--december-11-2009.htmlIs the entry fee for US Citizens still $131 USD? I guess the lack of the Visa requirement for US citizens minimizes the otherwise high cost. Not that I'm complaining though. Just scored a Delta Business Class ticket with my miles to EZE for $65 incl. Taxes.

Gato Hunter
06-03-12, 16:45
Its $160 last time I looked. Its good for 10 years so you can carry your expired passport with the visa in it.

Silver Star
06-03-12, 17:24
Its $160 last time I looked. Its good for 10 years so you can carry your expired passport with the visa in it.It was raised to $160USD for US Passport holders because the US charges $160 for an Argentine to get a US Visa. If you have any passport other than US, Canada or Australia you most probably won't have to pay the VISA. So keep that in mind if you are a dual passport holder.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Transfers in English

Hoatzin
06-03-12, 18:48
Thanks Fred and Gato Hunter. I also uncovered this on the US Embassy website right after I posted my query. It's nice it covers for 10 years.

It was raised to $160USD for US Passport holders because the US charges $160 for an Argentine to get a US Visa. If you have any passport other than US, Canada or Australia you most probably won't have to pay the VISA. So keep that in mind if you are

Fred Gold
06-07-12, 02:15
Visiting Argentina via a method other than plane- is there a way to avoid the visa fee and get one at the border?

TejanoLibre
06-08-12, 07:18
Visiting Argentina via a method other than plane- is there a way to avoid the visa fee and get one at the border?I have 3 passports with 3 different names!

Italian, Spanish and Argentine!

My best friend is the head of immigration in Argentina!

He is an immigration Boy!

TL

God knows I need more than 1 name!

Just ask Interpol!

PassherBy
06-08-12, 13:27
Visiting Argentina via a method other than plane- is there a way to avoid the visa fee and get one at the border?Some countries in the region, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, require Americans to have visas to enter the country. Others, Argentina, Chile, have a "reciprocity fee". It's not a visa, just something to be annoying to Americans in reciprocity for our terrible immigration process. At least as of recently (things change all the time in Argentina) , you only pay it entering through EZE. Any other border crossing won't require it. I've entered through four different border crossings included the buquebus from Uruguay, and they only checked it at EZE.

Tres3
06-08-12, 13:43
Some countries in the region, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, require Americans to have visas to enter the country. Others, Argentina, Chile, have a "reciprocity fee". It's not a visa, just something to be annoying to Americans in reciprocity for our terrible immigration process. At least as of recently (things change all the time in Argentina) , you only pay it entering through EZE. Any other border crossing won't require it. I've entered through four different border crossings included the buquebus from Uruguay, and they only checked it at EZE.I came from Sao Paulo via AEP. They have the reciprocity fee at this airport also. I went from Foz do Iguacu to the Argentine side of the falls via car before coming to BA, and they did not collect the fee.

Tres

Silver Star
06-08-12, 23:29
I came from Sao Paulo via AEP. They have the reciprocity fee at this airport also. I went from Foz do Iguacu to the Argentine side of the falls via car before coming to BA, and they did not collect the fee.

TresFrom what I know at this day and time, the fee is only collected at EZE and AEP (International Flights)

Fred

DaveNYC
01-16-13, 21:04
I'm going NY, Toronto, Chile, EZE on the 20th, do I need anything special or is my passport enough? I'm assuming the fee is still $160 to enter? Thanks.

SunSeeker
01-16-13, 21:29
I'm going NY, Toronto, Chile, EZE on the 20th, do I need anything special or is my passport enough? I'm assuming the fee is still $160 to enter? Thanks.If you don't already have a valid visa you can no longer pay upon arrival at the eze or aep airports. You need to pay the fee online BEFORE you fly. The link is somewhere on this board,

DaveNYC
01-16-13, 21:49
If you don't already have a valid visa you can no longer pay upon arrival at the eze or aep airports. You need to pay the fee online BEFORE you fly. The link is somewhere on this board,I'm glad I asked! I'll call the airline too, maybe its included in the cost of the flight? I was actually more concerned with the connection in Chile, do I need a visa or is it ok because I'm just passing through?

Sportsman
01-16-13, 22:07
I'm glad I asked! I'll call the airline too, maybe its included in the cost of the flight? I was actually more concerned with the connection in Chile, do I need a visa or is it ok because I'm just passing through?The Reciprocity Fee is not included in the ticket price. You must pay it online ahead of time. BTW, this fee only applies to US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. Here is the info: http://embassyofargentina.us/embassyofargentina.us/en/consularsection/news.htm#entry.

Daddy Rulz
01-16-13, 22:12
The Reciprocity Fee is not included in the ticket price. You must pay it online ahead of time. BTW, this fee only applies to US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. Here is the info:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassyofargentina.us/en/consularsection/news.htm

#entry.The Airport fee paid when leaving, this is now included in the ticket price.

First thing to remember about Argentina in case this is your first visit, I'm assuming so because of your low post count, nothing is simple or logical.

Wild Walleye
01-17-13, 13:29
The Airport fee paid when leaving, this is now included in the ticket price.

First thing to remember about Argentina in case this is your first visit, I'm assuming so because of your low post count, nothing is simple or logical.Standing in the line to pay a tax to get out of a country. If they could charge you a disposal / dumping fee each time you dropped a deuce, in country, they would.

Dave: The methods of payment just changed at the end of 2012. The Argies make a point of clarifying that the $160 isn't for a visa, since they don't require American tourists to have a visa. Rather, it is a "reciprocity" fee because that is what it costs Argies to come to America.

I wonder, now that they do not have the pay-upon-arrival option, what do they do with people who arrive without the online printout? I can't imagine that they stick you on the next flight back to where you came from. However, given that it is Argentina, I would expect that whatever the process is, it is arbitrary, inconsistent and time-consuming.

Tres3
01-17-13, 14:32
If you paid the "reciprocity fee" under the old system, the Argies stuck a receipt on one page of your passport. The "fee" is good for 10 years from the date you paid it, so your USA passport will expire before the "fee" does. I have not come across anyone that this happened to, so I am just guessing when I say that if you show them both passports, they will not make you pay the "fee" again. HOWEVER, this is Argentina, so who knows what the authorities will do.

Tres3

ElReyalto
01-17-13, 15:41
Standing in the line to pay a tax to get out of a country. If they could charge you a disposal / dumping fee each time you dropped a deuce, in country, they would.

Dave: The methods of payment just changed at the end of 2012. The Argies make a point of clarifying that the $160 isn't for a visa, since they don't require American tourists to have a visa. Rather, it is a "reciprocity" fee because that is what it costs Argies to come to America.

I wonder, now that they do not have the pay-upon-arrival option, what do they do with people who arrive without the online printout? I can't imagine that they stick you on the next flight back to where you came from. However, given that it is Argentina, I would expect that whatever the process is, it is arbitrary, inconsistent and time-consuming.I saw it happen numerous times while waiting the horrifically long immigration line. People would get to the window, be told they had to pay the fee and then sent somewhere to pay it. Of course that also meant you had to wait all over again although I saw some cases where one person waited and the other went to pay the fee.

Gandolf50
01-17-13, 16:18
If you paid the "reciprocity fee" under the old system, the Argies stuck a receipt on one page of your passport. The "fee" is good for 10 years from the date you paid it, so your USA passport will expire before the "fee" does. I have not come across anyone that this happened to, so I am just guessing when I say that if you show them both passports, they will not make you pay the "fee" again. HOWEVER, this is Argentina, so who knows what the authorities will do.

Tres3You need to retain both passports, thats all. The "visa" is good for ten years whether or not the passpaort has expired.

DaveNYC
01-17-13, 18:57
The Airport fee paid when leaving, this is now included in the ticket price.

First thing to remember about Argentina in case this is your first visit, I'm assuming so because of your low post count, nothing is simple or logical.First as an adult, kind of sounds like my job LOL.

Standing in the line to pay a tax to get out of a country. If they could charge you a disposal / dumping fee each time you dropped a deuce, in country, they would.

I wonder, now that they do not have the pay-upon-arrival option, what do they do with people who arrive without the online printout? I can't imagine that they stick you on the next flight back to where you came from. However, given that it is Argentina, I would expect that whatever the process is, it is arbitrary, inconsistent and time-consuming.I'll be sure to pay it online today.

Aqualung
01-17-13, 19:28

Tres3Once you have paid you should be in the system and even if you can't produce the proof of payment there shouldn't be a problem. But. (note my use of the conditional tense) this is Argentina. If you have the stamp on an old passport carry it with you.

Aqualung
01-17-13, 20:02
Argentines visiting the US have to apply for a visa. The application form costs the same as the fee for Americans to enter Argentina (thus the "reciprocity" of the "reciprocity fee"). Applying for this visa can be a highly traumatic experience (ask anyone. Not only Argentines). You are in the hands of a, often power crazy, menial civil servant. If he or she decides not to give you a visa you are not even allowed to know why and much less appeal. And you don't get your money back. The US authorities refuse to inform on how many applicants are rejected.

Argentines are the fifth biggest population visiting Miami every year with about half a million tourists. This year there are many restaurants and apartment rentals that are accepting PESOS at the official rate of exchange!

Jackson
01-17-13, 21:07
Argentines visiting the US have to apply for a visa. The application form costs the same as the fee for Americans to enter Argentina (thus the "reciprocity" of the "reciprocity fee"). Applying for this visa can be a highly traumatic experience (ask anyone. Not only Argentines). You are in the hands of a, often power crazy, menial civil servant. If he or she decides not to give you a visa you are not even allowed to know why and much less appeal. And you don't get your money back. The US authorities refuse to inform on how many applicants are rejected.

Argentines are the fifth biggest population visiting Miami every year with about half a million tourists. This year there are many restaurants and apartment rentals that are accepting PESOS at the official rate of exchange!But this is the difference.

The US Government charges a visa application fee because it costs money to actually conduct an investigation into the visa applicant. These investigations are necessary to determine the probability that the applicant will return to Argentina when their proposed visit to the USA is completed, this being necessary because we have a big problem in the USA with foreign visitors deliberately overstaying their visas.

On the other hand, Argentina does not have a problem with American citizens deliberately overstaying their visas to enter Argentina, and thus Argentina does not need to screen visa applicants from the USA.

The operative words in the first paragraph are "actually conduct an investigation".

Argentina does not conduct visa investigations, and thus all they're doing is using reciprocity as an excuse to extract money from every American citizen who enters Argentina. There is no justification for charging a visa application fee when no visa application investigation is being conducted.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
02-04-14, 18:48
I'm thinking about a visit in about a month. I have the "visa-like" page in my passport from 2010, good to 2020. I'm assuming I don't have to go online and mess with the reciprocity thing. Please let me know if I have that wrong.

Thanks.

AllIWantIsLove
02-04-14, 19:14
Mine is also from 2010, and that passport now has two holes punched in the front cover because I have since obtained a new passport. And I was welcomed with open arms! BTW you will be checked more than once by the airline you are flying to make sure that all is in order.

Bob.

I'm thinking about a visit in about a month. I have the "visa-like" page in my passport from 2010, good to 2020. I'm assuming I don't have to go online and mess with the reciprocity thing. Please let me know if I have that wrong.

Thanks.

El Perro
02-04-14, 19:33
Mine is also from 2010, and that passport now has two holes punched in the front cover because I have since obtained a new passport. And I was welcomed with open arms! BTW you will be checked more than once by the airline you are flying to make sure that all is in order.

Bob.Thanks Bob. I figured I was safe but best to check.

Cheers!

Jackson
02-04-14, 19:42

Bob.Many expired passports have visas that are still valid.

That's one reason why they let you keep your old passports, so you can still use the visas contained therein.

Thanks,

Jax.

Extraordinary
07-22-14, 03:39
Does anybody know the address of the immigration centre in buenos aires. I want to renew my holiday visa. Thanks.

TejanoLibre
07-22-14, 05:13
Does anybody know the address of the immigration centre in buenos aires. I want to renew my holiday visa. Thanks.It is right across. The major street from the Retiro Train Station.

Maybe three straight blocks.

It's a maze of red tape bullshit! They will send you from building to building, line to line and table to table.One of the Boys.

Killed 5 people in a car wreck while he was here on vacation. Living here.

TL had. To take our fellow Monger from building to building for 5 straight days just to find the correct monkey to allow him to travel, leave the country.

It was hell.

At one point they hauled him in for not changing his address!

Finally met the head of immigration in BA and got things squared out!

Took us 5 days!

Good luck!

By the way, why do you need it?

TL.

Please excuse my fucking spelling and grammar but this pos computer is a pos ! MFN thinks for me before I write ! In Spanish it's a joke ! Fuck I hate this turd !

Extraordinary
07-22-14, 09:49
It is right across. The major street from the Retiro Train Station.

Maybe three straight blocks.

It's a maze of red tape bullshit! They will send you from building to building, line to line and table to table.One of the Boys.

Killed 5 people in a car wreck while he was here on vacation. Living here.

TL had. To take our fellow Monger from building to building for 5 straight days just to find the correct monkey to allow him to travel, leave the country.

It was hell.

At one point they hauled him in for not changing his address!

Finally met the head of immigration in BA and got things squared out!

Took us 5 days!

Good luck!

By the way, why do you need it?

TL.

Please excuse my fucking spelling and grammar but this pos computer is a pos ! MFN thinks for me before I write ! In Spanish it's a joke ! Fuck I hate this turd !My holiday visa runs out Thursday. Is it ok to overstay. Then leave the country and pay a fine? Will they let me back in? Thanks.

El Perro
07-22-14, 10:29
My holiday visa runs out Thursday. Is it ok to overstay. Then leave the country and pay a fine? Will they let me back in? Thanks.Overstay and pay the fine at the airport. Do NOT go to immigration. People overstay, pay the fine and re-enter the country all the time. Piece a cake.

Extraordinary
07-22-14, 10:58
Overstay and pay the fine at the airport. Do NOT go to immigration. People overstay, pay the fine and re-enter the country all the time. Piece a cake.If I go to Uruguay and return how do I pay the fine? You can only pay at ezeiza?

El Perro
07-22-14, 12:30
If I go to Uruguay and return how do I pay the fine? You can only pay at ezeiza?Are you going to Uruguay just to go or to renew your visa? If you are going just to renew your visa, don't go.

Rockin Bob
07-22-14, 15:07
Are you going to Uruguay just to go or to renew your visa? If you are going just to renew your visa, don't go.I myself would advise doing a day trip over to Uruguay. I don't know how it is in Argentina, but I once overstayed my welcome in Brazil and paid a fine, and it has haunted me ever since! Not that they don't let me back into the country, but there is always a delay while the agent tells me to wait and disappears into the police office.

On the other hand, my impression of Argentine immigration is that you could present a napkin with your name written on it and a smiley face and that would be a valid document. So you could just pay the fine and not worry about it.

Daddy Rulz
07-22-14, 15:23
Overstay and pay the fine at the airport. Do NOT go to immigration. People overstay, pay the fine and re-enter the country all the time. Piece a cake.People do this all the time. If you ever go to Paraguay by bus when you get to the border there will be HUNDREDS of Paragayans lined up at the window to pay the 300 pesos. It's no big deal, though they may wag their finger at you.

If you just intend to renew one time and you're uncomfortable overstaying and feel like you must fix it going to Montevideo or Colonia, is the way to do it, not at the office. The immigrations people are looking more for people that have done it several times. While you're there you can load up on dollars.

Tres3
07-22-14, 16:26
People do this all the time. If you ever go to Paraguay by bus when you get to the border there will be HUNDREDS of Paragayans lined up at the window to pay the 300 pesos. It's no big deal, though they may wag their finger at you.

If you just intend to renew one time and you're uncomfortable overstaying and feel like you must fix it going to Montevideo or Colonia, is the way to do it, not at the office. The immigrations people are looking more for people that have done it several times. While you're there you can load up on dollars.If you have not been to Uruguay before, you should go. Look at the Visa renewal as a bonus because Uruguay for a day, or two, is nice, and the ATM machines give dollars. Depending upon your budget, you can go to Colonia or Montevideo. I prefer Montevideo because they have good fresh swordfish, which is difficult, if not impossible, to find in BA. It is a tasty break from steak. If you use the "search" feature of AP, you will find lots of information on both places.

Tres3.

Extraordinary
07-22-14, 19:02
If you have not been to Uruguay before, you should go. Look at the Visa renewal as a bonus because Uruguay for a day, or two, is nice, and the ATM machines give dollars. Depending upon your budget, you can go to Colonia or Montevideo. I prefer Montevideo because they have good fresh swordfish, which is difficult, if not impossible, to find in BA. It is a tasty break from steak. If you use the "search" feature of AP, you will find lots of information on both places.

Tres3.So if my visa has expired. Then I go to Uruguay. Can I pay the fine with immigration there? Or is it only in the airport you can do this? Do you pay on the way put of the country or on the way back in? This is my first time doing this . Thanks for the advice

Tres3
07-23-14, 01:34
So if my visa has expired. Then I go to Uruguay. Can I pay the fine with immigration there? Or is it only in the airport you can do this? Do you pay on the way put of the country or on the way back in? This is my first time doing this . Thanks for the adviceYou pay the fine to Argentina when leaving the country. Uruguay issues you a Visa when you enter the country, and takes the Visa for Uruguay when you leave the country. Argentina issues a NEW Visa when you enter the country from Uruguay. Be sure to take the "reciprocity" fee receipt (it will be in your passport if you entered Argentina during the early days of the fee) so that you do not have to pay it again. In the future do not overstay your Visa. Go to Uruguay.

Tres3.

Extraordinary
07-23-14, 23:05
You pay the fine to Argentina when leaving the country. Uruguay issues you a Visa when you enter the country, and takes the Visa for Uruguay when you leave the country. Argentina issues a NEW Visa when you enter the country from Uruguay. Be sure to take the "reciprocity" fee receipt (it will be in your passport if you entered Argentina during the early days of the fee) so that you do not have to pay it again. In the future do not overstay your Visa. Go to Uruguay.

Tres3.Gracias amigo.

Hollywood124
07-30-14, 02:27
Hi Jackson!

I'll be in EZE soon. Me too, I just got a new passport and so my old one has my EZE visa in it. Good to know that I still can use the old passport with the EZE visa in it. I want to say Hello, and pay you my yearly membership on the other website if possible. Hope to see you soon and thank for all your help!

PS: I made "Senior Level" are you proud of me? Sorry, still kinda shy!

Many expired passports have visas that are still valid.

That's one reason why they let you keep your old passports, so you can still use the visas contained therein.

Thanks,

Jax.

Riina
08-09-14, 15:36
Hey guys,

I have a trip planned to BA in September. I'm debating using my EU passport as opposed to my US passport and save the visa charge. Is it worth it to possibly loose Uncle Sam standing behind me?

Lifeisgoodok
09-14-14, 20:03
Hey guys,

I have a trip planned to BA in September. I'm debating using my EU passport as opposed to my US passport and save the visa charge. Is it worth it to possibly loose Uncle Sam standing behind me?USD $160.00 Visa is only for travel over 90 days.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/argentina.html

Cowboy2
09-14-14, 20:58
USD $160.00 Visa is only for travel over 90 days.

There is no visa required. It is a reciprocity fee.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/argentina.htmlA valid passport is required for USA Citizens to enter Argentina. USA Citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. Argentine law requires that, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, USA Citizen tourist and business travelers pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website. Once paid, travelers must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry. The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. It is advisable to keep multiple copies of the receipt, as it must be presented every time you enter Argentina. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.

Lifeisgoodok
09-15-14, 03:00
A valid passport is required for USA Citizens to enter Argentina. USA Citizens do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days for tourism or business. Argentine law requires that, prior to arrival in Argentina at any entry point, USA Citizen tourist and business travelers pay a $160 reciprocity fee by credit card online at the Provincia Pagos website. Once paid, travelers must print out the receipt and present it to the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry. The fee is valid for ten years from the date of payment and multiple entries. It is advisable to keep multiple copies of the receipt, as it must be presented every time you enter Argentina. The fee applies only to bearers of tourist passports. Travelers bearing diplomatic or official passports are required to get visas prior to arrival in Argentina but are not charged the reciprocity fee, nor are travelers transiting and not entering Argentina.Ah, that's why I put the link. It says what you repeated.

Dickhead
09-15-14, 03:33
US citizens do not need a "visa" per se for stays of 90 days or fewer but they still need to pay the fucking $160. Clear now?

Jackpot
09-16-14, 01:16
US citizens do not need a "visa" per se for stays of 90 days or fewer but they still need to pay the fucking $160. Clear now?I f you possess an Argentine DNI you are exempt from this fee.

Present at check in to get waiver.

Jackpot.

WorldTravel69
12-20-15, 23:42
It is a tourist and business travelers reciprocity fee stamp. It costs $160.

Mine looks like this.

My question is can you get these at the airport when you land?

As I did in 2010.

It looks like you can not do that anymore.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/argentina.html

Daddy Rulz
12-21-15, 01:30
You cannot do that anymore. I suggest you do it right now. You can go to the web site and do it. If you don't do it you will not be able to board when you go to the airport.

It is a tourist and business travelers reciprocity fee stamp. It costs $160.

Mine looks like this.

My question is can you get these at the airport when you land?

As I did in 2010.

It looks like you can not do that anymore.

Don B
12-21-15, 12:21
You cannot do that anymore. I suggest you do it right now. You can go to the web site and do it. If you don't do it you will not be able to board when you go to the airport.From the thread I get the impression this is now required every time you enter, not valid for ten years.

Don B.

Rocky2
12-21-15, 14:48
From the thread I get the impression this is now required every time you enter, not valid for ten years.

Don B.The thread clearly indicates that the permit is valid for 10 years.

WorldTravel69
12-21-15, 16:48
I called the Argentina embassy in Los Angeles.

Since my passport expired last year with the stamp/insert in it, I must get a copy of the original paper work from these people:

But most of the it is in Spanish and I do not see any information on how to get a copy.

https://reciprocidad.provincianet.com.ar/Default.aspx

I tried to call their number in Argentina, but got hung up on before I could talk to anyone.

54 11 5080 3030 or 0810 666-7768.

I still have 5 years on the stamp/insert.

The embassy guy said even if I bring the old passport, it will not work.

Balls Deep
12-21-15, 17:22

Since my passport expired last year with the stamp/insert in it, I must get a copy of the original paper work from these people:

But most of the it is in Spanish and I do not see any information on how to get a copy.

I tried to call their number in Argentina, but got hung up on before I could talk to anyone.

The embassy guy said even if I bring the old passport, it will not work.I have the same Visa situation, you must travel with your old Passport and the new one. The old Passport is only for the stamp. It's the same for Brazilian Visa's, I have both in my old Passport.

Enjoy, B.

WorldTravel69
12-21-15, 17:31
Did you try it?

I know if worked in Brazil for me, but I do not want to be denied and sent home at my expense.

The embassy guy I called said no.

If you the read the second page, it says maybe no.

"U.S. Citizens who arrive in Argentina with expired or damaged passports may be refused entry and returned to the United States at their own expense. The U.S. Embassy cannot provide guarantees on behalf of travelers in such situations, and we encourage you to ensure that your travel documents are valid and in good condition prior to departure from the United States. Different rules apply to U.S. Citizens who also have Argentine nationality, depending on their dates of U.S. Naturalization. For more information, check the Argentine Ministry of the Interior website. Argentine-born naturalized U.S. Citizens who enter Argentina as temporary visitors may depart using their U.S. Passports as long as they remain no longer than the period granted by the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry (typically 60-180 days). Travelers in this category who overstay will be required to obtain an Argentine passport to depart.".

I have the same Visa situation, you must travel with your old Passport and the new one. The old Passport is only for the stamp. It's the same for Brazilian Visa's, I have both in my old Passport.

Enjoy, B.

Rocky2
12-21-15, 18:23

The embassy guy said even if I bring the old passport, it will not work.Two passports work for me. No problem for the last 2 1/2 years.

Balls Deep
12-21-15, 18:35
Did you try it?

I know if worked in Brazil for me, but I do not want to be denied and sent home at my expense.

The embassy guy I called said no.

If you the read the second page, it says maybe no.

"U.S. Citizens who arrive in Argentina with expired or damaged passports may be refused entry and returned to the United States at their own expense. The U.S. Embassy cannot provide guarantees on behalf of travelers in such situations, and we encourage you to ensure that your travel documents are valid and in good condition prior to departure from the United States. Different rules apply to U.S. Citizens who also have Argentine nationality, depending on their dates of U.S. Naturalization. For more information, check the Argentine Ministry of the Interior website. Argentine-born naturalized U.S. Citizens who enter Argentina as temporary visitors may depart using their U.S. Passports as long as they remain no longer than the period granted by the Argentine immigration officer at the time of entry (typically 60-180 days). Travelers in this category who overstay will be required to obtain an Argentine passport to depart.".Chill, it works. I have been doing this for two years. I wouldn't have recommended this if I did not have experience.

B.

PickCherry12
12-21-15, 20:44

The embassy guy said even if I bring the old passport, it will not work.No worries. I had a similar issue recently. I brought my old passport and it worked.

Gauntlet77
12-23-15, 13:10
Two passports work for me. No problem for the last 2 1/2 years.Most of the time I only have to show photocopy of my receipt/visa. I take old passport just in case.

Cheers!

WorldTravel69
12-23-15, 16:52
I emailed this To: info@migraciones.gov.ar.

Hola:
How do I get a copy of the original paper work for this sticker from 2010?
Sticker Number: 002XXXXXUSA131XXXXXXXXX134.
Passport number: 212XXXX.
My Passport expired this year and the sticker is still good for 5 more years.
Your embassy person said I need the original paper work to get a new copy.
Thanks.

I Received this:

Fecha Emisin Apellidos.

16-03-2010 08:51:18 BUSH

Fecha Vencimiento Nombres.

13-03-2020 00:00:00 GEORGE

WALKER

Nacionalidad Nmero Documento.

ESTADOUNIDENSE 212XXXXX.

Paso de confirmacin: AERO EZEIZA Secuencia Sticker: 00121890 Dgito: 8.
El sticker fue asociado por el INSPECTOR: DEL VALLE JUAN EDUARDO.

ATTE AREA DE COORDINACION OPERATIVA.
DIRECCION GENERAL DE MOVIMIENTO MIGRATORIO.
DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES.

The embassy guy said to take this and my old passport.

I am hoping to get a New Sticker, so I do not have carry both passports.

Daddy Rulz
12-23-15, 23:34
The embassy guy said to take this and my old passport.

I am hoping to get a New Sticker, so I do not have carry both passports.You are making the classic gringo mistake, you think because somebody "officially" told you something that the next person you deal with will act the same. They probably won't. Until you have a sticker in the new passport bring the old one. If you don't and you have to buy a new one don't say you were not told. Argentinos don't like change, they like what they expect. They expect somebody who has a new passport to show up with both of their passports, new and old with sticker.

You have been told this by several people who have done it, now just do it and pass on through. If you don't, and you have problems, and post about it complaining I'll most likely say I told you so a lot.

WorldTravel69
12-24-15, 00:20
He said to take both and I will.

I do not want to take any chances.

My buddy and I flew to Asuncion from Rio.

They airline did not check our Visas. We did not either.

They had expired and we got sent back to Rio.

But, the airline made the mistake, so we got a free round trip to Fortaleza.

It was a longer flight than to Asuncion.

You are making the classic gringo mistake, you think because somebody "officially" told you something that the next person you deal with will act the same. They probably won't. Until you have a sticker in the new passport bring the old one. If you don't and you have to buy a new one don't say you were not told. Argentinos don't like change, they like what they expect. They expect somebody who has a new passport to show up with both of their passports, new and old with sticker.

You have been told this by several people who have done it, now just do it and pass on through. If you don't, and you have problems, and post about it complaining I'll most likely say I told you so a lot.

PickCherry12
12-26-15, 20:38
He said to take both and I will.

I do not want to take any chances.

My buddy and I flew to Asuncion from Rio.

They airline did not check our Visas. We did not either.

They had expired and we got sent back to Rio.

But, the airline made the mistake, so we got a free round trip to Fortaleza.

It was a longer flight than to Asuncion.Came in this morning. I asked the immigration officer if in future just a copy of the visa would suffice. He said no, always bring the old passport.

Paladin
02-22-16, 18:39
Gentlemen: I heard some terrible news I would like to confirm before I plan my next visit to Colonia to extend my tourist visa for an additional 90 days. I have heard an awful rumor that immigration now requires an overnight stay rather than a day trip to extend a tourist visa for an additional 90-day period. It is not a problem but it does add an additional cost to securing a visa and getting dollars...

Any current info from anyone on the board???

Thanks,

Paladin.

Gandolf50
02-22-16, 19:36
Gentlemen: I heard some terrible news I would like to confirm before I plan my next visit to Colonia to extend my tourist visa for an additional 90 days. I have heard an awful rumor that immigration now requires an overnight stay rather than a day trip to extend a tourist visa for an additional 90-day period. It is not a problem but it does add an additional cost to securing a visa and getting dollars...

Any current info from anyone on the board???

Thanks,

Paladin.Instead of making the trip, you can renew your visa once a year at the immigration office near Retiro. I have no idea hw much it is today but it used to be $300p.

WorldTravel69
02-23-16, 08:00
I ask before if you need Visa to go through Brasilia.

You do, there is not any in transit area.

Lucky for me i go home the same I came in, through. A 5 hour shorter trip.