PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Kevins
01-26-12, 15:55
I don't understand the discrepancy between various rates. Today Dolar Hoy shows that the best rate you could get in BsAs if you were selling dollars is 4. 335. But twice I've gotten 4. 5 on Corrientes and most recently 4. 55. And now Canardly is posting much better rates in nearby countries.

The place on Corrientes is certainly no secret so I doubt that it's black market. And wouldn't international currency trading keep exchange rates pretty consistent around the world?

Can anyone explain how such discrepancies can exist?

BobThere is the official rate and the paralel rate. The official rate is what you buy and sell for within the legal system f you can provide all the proper arg stip reg otherwise you get the paralel or nowadays the blue rate which is the dif

Canardly
01-26-12, 17:44
Argentina's government has enacted capital controls to stop capital flight.

Good luck with that one. The result is that people who want to move money out of the country (generally into dollars) will pay a premium to transact an exchange which cannot otherwise be made.

Gandolf50
01-26-12, 18:19
Its true, Argentines want dollars no matter what the cost. The Euro is shakey for long term right now. So its only dollars. I saw signs on Calle Florida yesterday in several stores for $4. 70. Out here in the boondocks where I live they were paying $4. 90 last week and selling at $5. 50! They even asked me if I had more I wanted to sell and that they could give me a slightly better price. I said why should I when the price goes up almost every week!

Captain Looney
01-27-12, 00:33
So I haven't been down since March of 2010, at that time it was still quite easy to get dollars from a couple of ATM's down there, is this not the case still? If the exchange rate can be had that much above the bank rate it may change my usual tactics. Would love to know more, are chicas really into getting dollars instead?

Looney

Roman719
01-27-12, 01:47
It would be nice to use USD if possible as the girls can get more value, rather than giving it to the bank. What are you seeing out there?

Gandolf50
01-27-12, 06:48
So I haven't been down since March of 2010, at that time it was still quite easy to get dollars from a couple of ATM's down there, is this not the case still? If the exchange rate can be had that much above the bank rate it may change my usual tactics. Would love to know more, are chicas really into getting dollars instead?

LooneyNo dollars in ATM's. Argentines need permission from AFIP (IRS more or less) to buy dollars and there is a ten day lead time to get them. (when argies say 10, figure 20!) Don't forget, if you pay in dollars figure 5 to one! Otherwise pay in pesos!

Canardly
01-27-12, 16:54
This is based on my experience in currency control countries.

If any of this is wrong please correct me.

1) Unlike its neighbors Uruguay and Paraguay (don't know about Brazil) Argentina strictly controls the exchange of its currency.

This is partly due to the default etc of ten years back but basically it is because Argentinians would like to move as much money as they can out of the country and the government wishes to stop them doing so.

Interesting article in page 26 of Clarin today,"Sin dolares, con mucha humillacion." Basically a retired person with 12000 ARG per month pension tried to get $2000, the cashier accepted 9000ARG and told the customer they had to get AFIP (=IRS) permission. Which was denied. The only legal way to exchange currency is at a bank or cambio (with passport) or at an ATM, which will issue ARG with a fee. 17ARG I think.

If you try to change ARG for dollars, they will require proof that you legally acquired them, remember this is you need to make a transaction at the Cambio at the airport. (Hint just go to an ATM and pick up an appropriate discarded receipt.)

2) If you want a better rate of exchange it is easy to find it in Uruguay or Paraguay, legally with a receipt from the cambio. It's a little more complicated here. Stores on Florida are advertising dollar rates from 4. 40 all the way up to 5 (perfume store on NW corner of Florida and Lavalle.) If you want to buy something at the store, just tender $100 and receive change from 500 ARG or whatever.

3) Or you can exchange "informally". Just stroll Florida / Lavalle or Corrientes / Libertad and listen to offers of "cambio" from street barkers. You will be invited to give your dollars in some secluded spot and the barker will return (hopefully) in 15 minutes or so after he has negotiated his own deal with whichever local street merchant is most anxious for dollars. You're not taking much legal risk. The police are much more interested in the merchant and in the barker. But you don't have any recourse (except ratting the barker to the police) if you end up with short ARG or worse still the barker fails to return. Market rate now seems to be about 4700ARG for $1000, slightly less for smaller amounts.

Good luck mongers!

Gandolf50
01-27-12, 22:28
This is based on my experience in currency control countries.

If any of this is wrong please correct me.

1) Unlike its neighbors Uruguay and Paraguay (don't know about Brazil) Argentina strictly controls the exchange of its currency.

This is partly due to the default etc of ten years back but basically it is because Argentinians would like to move as much money as they can out of the country and the government wishes to stop them doing so.

Interesting article in page 26 of Clarin today,"Sin dolares, con mucha humillacion." Basically a retired person with 12000 ARG per month pension tried to get $2000, the cashier accepted 9000ARG and told the customer they had to get AFIP (=IRS) permission. Which was denied. The only legal way to exchange currency is at a bank or cambio (with passport) or at an ATM, which will issue ARG with a fee. 17ARG I think.

If you try to change ARG for dollars, they will require proof that you legally acquired them, remember this is you need to make a transaction at the Cambio at the airport. (Hint just go to an ATM and pick up an appropriate discarded receipt.)

2) If you want a better rate of exchange it is easy to find it in Uruguay or Paraguay, legally with a receipt from the cambio. It's a little more complicated here. Stores on Florida are advertising dollar rates from 4. 40 all the way up to 5 (perfume store on NW corner of Florida and Lavalle.) If you want to buy something at the store, just tender $100 and receive change from 500 ARG or whatever.

3) Or you can exchange "informally". Just stroll Florida / Lavalle or Corrientes / Libertad and listen to offers of "cambio" from street barkers. You will be invited to give your dollars in some secluded spot and the barker will return (hopefully) in 15 minutes or so after he has negotiated his own deal with whichever local street merchant is most anxious for dollars. You're not taking much legal risk. The police are much more interested in the merchant and in the barker. But you don't have any recourse (except ratting the barker to the police) if you end up with short ARG or worse still the barker fails to return. Market rate now seems to be about 4700ARG for $1000, slightly less for smaller amounts.

Good luck mongers!This is basically correct. Argentina has only been trying to "control" the exchange in dollars since the election last year. Every one with a brain and a little bit of money that lives here is scared sh*tless. They are afraid its 2001 all over again so they are either trying to put their money outside gov't control (out of the country) or to hoard money under their beds. Since the ARG peso is worthless outside of Argentina and its immediate neighbors (Mercosur) that means changing it to something else. The only type of money that is widely accepted is dollars or euros. (I know there are others but these are the two BIGGIES!) With the euro possibly taking a dive any day that only leaves the dollar. Very few countries try to control the dollar like Argentina, Cuba and Venezuela come to mind and in both countries it has been a disaster. (note these are both countries with strong ties to Argentina) Personally I think it would be better to let the peso devalue and save all the bullsh*t they are going through to try and maintain it. It is going down anyway. It seems every week Moreno (minister of finance & boliches) comes up with a new way to "control" the dollars and capitol flight, but it seems it is just costing the country more in the long term. Personally all this nonsense works for me. I was able to change dollars today for $5. 05!

TejanoLibre
02-09-12, 20:54
Its true, Argentines want dollars no matter what the cost. The Euro is shakey for long term right now. So its only dollars. I saw signs on Calle Florida yesterday in several stores for $4. 70. Out here in the boondocks where I live they were paying $4. 90 last week and selling at $5. 50! They even asked me if I had more I wanted to sell and that they could give me a slightly better price. I said why should I when the price goes up almost every week!AVOID GLOBAL EXCHANGE at the Airport!

They are paying $3. 47 to 1 USD!

$4. 50 per Euro!

They say that they offer a 24 hour service and that they are not breaking the law.

It is the first thing you see when you come out of the hallway!

FUCK THEM!

TL

Hooky
03-01-12, 22:48
About changing USD for pesos. Are there preferred denominations? Do they mostly deal with 20's and 100's, are they familiar with $50 USD bills? I like 50's, big enough denomination to not take up so much room, yet small enough to be changed or broken.

Just wondering, in the past when I've traveled, I've been told, for example, don't take any torn bills. When I get cash up here, I ask them to just give me the newest version, the one with colors in it. Just to make sure.

I've heard if you know some locals, they may change you at a better rate. Someone on one of the travel forums suggested this to me. Of course I am a little wary of getting counterfeits.

Did I already post about that?

Banewbie
03-02-12, 01:10
About changing USD for pesos. Are there preferred denominations? Do they mostly deal with 20's and 100's, are they familiar with $50 USD bills? I like 50's, big enough denomination to not take up so much room, yet small enough to be changed or broken.

Just wondering, in the past when I've traveled, I've been told, for example, don't take any torn bills. When I get cash up here, I ask them to just give me the newest version, the one with colors in it. Just to make sure.

I've heard if you know some locals, they may change you at a better rate. Someone on one of the travel forums suggested this to me. Of course I am a little wary of getting counterfeits.

Did I already post about that?Got my 50s changed at the Airport and then at the Money Changer at the Florida street. No issues at all.

Gandolf50
03-02-12, 09:54

Did I already post about that?They will change all denominations. Like you said, no torn, dirty, or marked up bills as many (not all) places will try to discount them. I have not had trouble with older bills, but that might change any day. As always, check your change and double check their math!

Santa
03-02-12, 12:39
AVOID GLOBAL EXCHANGE at the Airport!

They are paying $3. 47 to 1 USD!

$4. 50 per Euro!

They say that they offer a 24 hour service and that they are not breaking the law.

It is the first thing you see when you come out of the hallway!

FUCK THEM!

TLI need to change a small amount of dollars at the airport to pay for my cab. I will have a number of bags including my SO, where besides, Global Exchange, do I exchange money? Thanks

Gandolf50
03-02-12, 15:01
I need to change a small amount of dollars at the airport to pay for my cab. I will have a number of bags including my SO, where besides, Global Exchange, do I exchange money? ThanksAt Banco De La Nacion. They give a decent rate and the best in the airport. When you enter the airport lobby from customs keep bearing to your right and they are right in front of you.

Hooky
03-03-12, 01:28
Thanks Gandolf.

Banewbie, are you in BA now, and what rate are you getting at the changer on Florida Street? Or I could ask, how are the rates there in general?

BTW my bank says it will credit me back all ATM fees after I come back, so that's still an option.

As I may have mentioned, someone on a travel forum contacted me and said I might get better exchange rates dealing with local friends. It sounds like the difference would be around 10% higher. Not sure if it is worth it though. On the other hand, the ATMs have a daily limit, don't they?

Thanks again you guys, really appreciate the advice.

AllIWantIsLove
03-03-12, 10:19
BTW my bank says it will credit me back all ATM fees after I come back, so that's still an option.

Did you ask specifically about the foreign currency transaction fee?

Bob

Hooky
03-03-12, 16:29
Did you ask specifically about the foreign currency transaction fee?

BobSorry Bob I am not sure to what you are referring. What they said they would credit back to me are the ATM w / the fees charged by the bank in Argentina. From what I've read there is typically a charge in the range of 14. 17 ARS, plus some people's banks charge them as well for using an outside ATM.

Is there another fee as well?

Just trying to figure this one out.

TejanoLibre
03-03-12, 20:17
Sorry Bob I am not sure to what you are referring. What they said they would credit back to me are the ATM w / the fees charged by the bank in Argentina. From what I've read there is typically a charge in the range of 14. 17 ARS, plus some people's banks charge them as well for using an outside ATM.

Just trying to figure this one out.The ATM withdrawal fees are about 17 pesos per transaction and unavoidable for the most part.

TL

PS - Depends , Citibank will not charge you a fee if you have an account with them in the USA .

Hooky
03-04-12, 01:40
The ATM withdrawal fees are about 17 pesos per transaction and unavoidable for the most part.

TL.

PS. Depends, Citibank will not charge you a fee if you have an account with them in the USA.OK that's what I thought he was talking about, my bank says they'll credit it back to me, they do sort of specialized banking so maybe that's why.

I mean I have my 10, 000, 000 Vietnamese Dong deposited there.

Cheers!

TejanoLibre
03-04-12, 03:59
OK that's what I thought he was talking about, my bank says they'll credit it back to me, they do sort of specialized banking so maybe that's why.

Cheers!Is that not like 30 dollars?

Now quit fucking with US!

TL

AllIWantIsLove
03-04-12, 13:35
If you have a US debit card (I think that it is true of credit cards also) any transaction here in pesos will generally incur a foreign currency transaction free.

If I recall correctly the ATM receipt will not show this fee. Your bank or credit card statement may or may not. The last time I did an ATM withdrawal here, several years ago, my bank charged me 1. 5. I've heard that the fee can be as high as 5% (http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditcards/credit-cards-with-no-foreign-transaction-fee/). When banks say they refund ATM fees they generally, again in my experience, are not including the foreign currency transaction fees. This gets very confusing because when you call a bank's toll free number you are often talking to someone who does not travel abroad and has never heard of the foreign currency transaction fee.

Bob.

Sorry Bob I am not sure to what you are referring. What they said they would credit back to me are the ATM w / the fees charged by the bank in Argentina. From what I've read there is typically a charge in the range of 14. 17 ARS, plus some people's banks charge them as well for using an outside ATM.

Just trying to figure this one out.

TejanoLibre
03-04-12, 15:40
OK that's what I thought he was talking about, my bank says they'll credit it back to me, they do sort of specialized banking so maybe that's why.

Cheers!Actually that's about $980. 00 dollars is'nt it?

Anyway, this is how it works for me :

I am charged $17. 43 pesos per transaction using my Chase USA Card by ANY local BA ATM. For me there is no way around it.

My statement goes to Houston so I never know what they do on that end.

Don't worry about the little things man!

"Just Fuck It" like Nike says!

TL

Canyon
03-04-12, 19:27
Since it seems that Argentinians would rather have dollars, does it make any sense to exchange currency except for small amounts for taxis, meals, etc. It seems like the girls would prefer dollars to Argentine pesos? Is this correct? If so, what is the exchange rate they would calculate: 4. 6 to 1; 5 to 1? Please let me know your thoughts. For my trip in April, I'm thinking about bringing dollars in cash with me and using that for all major expenditures. I would only exchange a small amont of money for incidentals. Does this make sense?

Canyon

TejanoLibre
03-04-12, 20:33
Since it seems that Argentinians would rather have dollars, does it make any sense to exchange currency except for small amounts for taxis, meals, etc. It seems like the girls would prefer dollars to Argentine pesos? Is this correct? If so, what is the exchange rate they would calculate: 4. 6 to 1; 5 to 1? Please let me know your thoughts. For my trip in April, I'm thinking about bringing dollars in cash with me and using that for all major expenditures. I would only exchange a small amont of money for incidentals. Does this make sense?

CanyonBlack market may be close to 5 by then and you can use that in your favor with the girls but not with the restos.

They, the restos, will tell you that they are selling their grub at 4. 55 to 1 but in reality you are still losing cash.

Best bet :

I will take you to a black market dealer and get you the best rate available for restos and cabs, etc. Cabs will NOT accept your dollars due to ignorance or lack of ability to distinguish the real dollars from SUPER DOLLARS!

Have we NOT gone over this fucking issue enough already!

TL

Hooky
03-04-12, 20:38
Black market may be close to 5 by then and you can use that in your favor with the girls but not with the restos.

They, the restos, will tell you that they are selling their grub at 4. 55 to 1 but in reality you are still losing cash.

Best bet :

I will take you to a black market dealer and get you the best rate available for restos and cabs, etc. Cabs will NOT accept your dollars due to ignorance or lack of ability to distinguish the real dollars from SUPER DOLLARS!

Have we NOT gone over this fucking issue enough already!

TLCome on give us a chance, just a few more times ought to do it.

Remember, we are noobs here.

LOL, just kidding TL, your help is much appreciated! ! !

Gandolf50
03-05-12, 07:03
Something happened to me last week that might benefit other mongers. Two of my "friends" stopped by the house and wanted dollars. It seems that when they want to send money home in dollars the place where they send money from charges them around $5. 60p for each dollar. They offered me $5p for each dollar. If you have a decent relation with some of your "friends" maybe you can help each other out. Just a thought!

Hooky
03-06-12, 01:59
Something happened to me last week that might benefit other mongers. Two of my "friends" stopped by the house and wanted dollars. It seems that when they want to send money home in dollars the place where they send money from charges them around $5. 60p for each dollar. They offered me $5p for each dollar. If you have a decent relation with some of your "friends" maybe you can help each other out. Just a thought!This is the kind of thing I heard about.

To where do your friends send dollars? You mean Paraguay or Dominica for example?

But OK they weren't referring to that type of friends I don't think.

Gandolf50
03-06-12, 07:35
This is the kind of thing I heard about.

To where do your friends send dollars? You mean Paraguay or Dominica for example?

But OK they weren't referring to that type of friends I don't think.Exactly, working girls. I just used that as a example to obtain a better then average exchange rate since it seems that most of us has at least a "few" friends.

Canyon
03-11-12, 16:32
I understand that cabs and restaurants want pesos, but how about the girls. Would they rather have dollars or pesos? If they want dollars, what exchange rate will they give you? 4. 6 to 1? 5 to 1?

Santa
04-06-12, 12:14
I hear rumors of $5 or more. What is your current experience?

TejanoLibre
04-06-12, 15:33
I understand that cabs and restaurants want pesos, but how about the girls. Would they rather have dollars or pesos? If they want dollars, what exchange rate will they give you? 4. 6 to 1? 5 to 1?Only the smart girls prefer dollars as they put them in a safety deposit box at the bank.

Also, it needs to be a girl that keeps busy enough to be able to put money away and not one that lives from trick to trick.

Exchange rate from a Chica is unknown to me.

I have been getting about 4. 65 to 1 downtown.

Basically they will all accept dollars but only the smart ones prefer them.

TL

Gato Hunter
04-08-12, 01:13
Where can we get the 4. 9 rate?

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp

TejanoLibre
04-08-12, 05:06
Where can we get the 4. 9 rate?

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.aspI live within the underbelly of BA and I exchange 1000's of dollars per week yet I can only obtain about 4. 65 these days!

I know that if you show them the money they will come up with more but 5 to 1 is not obtainable by TL!

ThANKS!

Tl

Embassador
04-08-12, 17:44
I live within the underbelly of BA and I exchange 1000's of dollars per week yet I can only obtain about 4. 65 these days!

I know that if you show them the money they will come up with more but 5 to 1 is not obtainable by TL!

ThANKS!

TlYou will get about at least 10 centavos more I f you are able to deposit dolars on a foreign account.

Saludos

Gato Hunter
04-23-12, 17:13
This is no joke and not spam.

Xoom. Com will give a 5. 18 exchange rate when sending money to Argentina. With the small fee its still over 5, more you send cheaper it gets. The pickup place is at a More on libertad 1057. This is only from a US bank account or CC. I read about this on the baexpat board and its no joke. Get it while its good. The rate was 5. 02 last week then jumped to 5. 18 after YPF hit the fan.

I sent a small test amount to myself already to get the bank info settled out before my trip. I got an email today saying its ready for pickup. I guess ill find out in a little over a week.

This could cancel out a few months of inflation LOL!

Stay horny my friends!

DavieW
04-23-12, 19:10
I live within the underbelly of BA and I exchange 1000's of dollars per week yet I can only obtain about 4. 65 these days!Really TL? You need to get your sh1t together mate!

I've only been in BsAs a couple of years, but 2 weeks ago when you posted this I was getting 4. 84. And not from the back of a dodgy jewellery shop on Lavalle either, but from a big business with impressive offices in a very secure environment. I only change my salary there (about US$3000 / mth) , but I've seen people walking out with carrier bags full of cash.

If you want to know more, please email me. If you're changing that much cash. 20c per dollar will soon add up!

DavieW
04-23-12, 19:19
At Banco De La Nacion. They give a decent rate and the best in the airport.What? Not even close!

The best at Ezeiza (by a looooooong way) is the Banco Piano exchange booth in the check-in area.

Creedence
04-23-12, 19:34
This is no joke and not spam.

Xoom. Com will give a 5. 18 exchange rate when sending money to Argentina. With the small fee its still over 5, more you send cheaper it gets. The pickup place is at a More on libertad 1057. This is only from a US bank account or CC. I read about this on the baexpat board and its no joke. Get it while its good. The rate was 5. 02 last week then jumped to 5. 18 after YPF hit the fan.

I sent a small test amount to myself already to get the bank info settled out before my trip. I got an email today saying its ready for pickup. I guess ill find out in a little over a week.

This could cancel out a few months of inflation LOL!

Stay horny my friends!Thank you for this info, please let us know if it works OK

Paladin
04-24-12, 10:06
See my recent post on ATM's for the name of a "legit" money changer. Rate 4. 8 last week for 100's.

Paladin

Canitasguy
04-27-12, 03:02
Thank you for this info, please let us know if it works OKXoom. Com is a internet scam that arranges the international transfer of money from your home bank account to a local bank through an online service. A few weeks of months after the initial transfer takes place they go back into your bank account and extract funds that can neither be traced or recovered!

Gato Hunter
05-07-12, 19:52
I sent myself a sizable amount of pesos a few weeks ago when xoom. Com was offering 5. 18. This is totally legit. I picked up my cash today two blocks from the AP casa. I sent myself more after I picked up and the rate has now dropped to 4. 93. If you enter the code "speedmay" there is no fee. The pickup place is talchuano 1057 at a More Money transfer place. You need a passport for pickup I was in and out in 5 minutes.

This is better than the 4. 7-4. 8 rate I have been offered here on the ground with crispy franklins.

The guy asked me for my occupation I replied "yo es gatero", he laughed and said seriouso, I replied yo es ladron. He did not smile at that one. Finally I said I was a doctor.

Santa
05-07-12, 20:47
I sent myself a sizable amount of pesos a few weeks ago when xoom. Com was offering 5. 18. This is totally legit. I picked up my cash today two blocks from the AP casa. I sent myself more after I picked up and the rate has now dropped to 4. 93. If you enter the code "speedmay" there is no fee. The pickup place is talchuano 1057 at a More Money transfer place. You need a passport for pickup I was in and out in 5 minu.

U.

This is better than the 4. 7-4. 8 rate I have been offered here on the ground with crispy franklins.

The guy asked me for my occupation I replied "yo es gatero", he laughed and said seriouso, I replied yo es ladron. He did not smile at that one. Finally I said I was a doctor.4. 9 for the last two weeks, but I hear rumors of 5 to 5. 20. Maybe I an afford a leather jacket soon.

Big Boss Man
05-09-12, 22:32
I received 4. 97 today from Xoom. Com. Google Xoom coupons to find a current coupon that waives the $30 transaction fee. I thought it would take a few days to clear. In my case it took 1 hour. Money remains in your account until you pick it up.

Gato Hunter
05-09-12, 22:40
Pickup place is Libertad 1057 not Talcuhuano.

CallaoParaguay
05-10-12, 13:28
Pickup place is Libertad 1057 not Talcuhuano.Thanks so much, I followed your advice, used Xoom. Com, transferred $2k (USD)

And saved 1544 pesos compared to my usual shitybank rate. This is a truly simple.

And expedient method for getting ahead of the unbelievable inflation here. The process.

Only took a few minutes and I was in and out of the cash pick-up location on Libertad.

In less than 10 minutes, absolutely smooth sailing. Thanks again for this invaluable.

Advice Gato Hunter.

C. P.

SunSeeker
05-10-12, 13:45
Thanks so much,

Only took a few minutes and I was in and out of the cash pick-up location on Libertad.

In less than 10 minutes, absolutely smooth sailing. Thanks again for this invaluable.

Advice Gato Hunter.

C. P.Definitely valuable advice! And it looks like there is a pickup close to where I will be living come June in Palermo Botanico, sweeet!

Gato Hunter
05-10-12, 22:36
I just read that AFIP changed the rules today. Before you could change 40% of your income to USD per year now it's 25. The parallel market should go up mañana.

Does anyone know a place that I can get 5+ for crispy franklins? The rate on 3 sites is currently 5. 12.

Xoom went to 4. 9724 tonight. From 4. 93 yesterday.

I did my walk down Santa Fe today on my way back from breakfast and noticed several stores were offering 5. 2 to the USD. T bad I don't need women's clothing jajaja!

Gato Hunter
05-10-12, 22:40
Definitely valuable advice! And it looks like there is a pickup close to where I will be living come June in Palermo Botanico, sweeet!I have read and found out that some of the locations listed are not the correct address. I. E. The one on Libertad is listed as Talcuhuano. MoreMT has a few branches I would verify first. The baexpat board has a good thread on this.

Peter Sideburn
05-10-12, 22:44
I spoke with xoom and they could not tell me if the banks in Argentina actually charge to pick up the money. Did any of you who have used this service get charged additional fees at pick up? It seems right now if you include the fees the rate is about 4. 8.

Pete.

Definitely valuable advice! And it looks like there is a pickup close to where I will be living come June in Palermo Botanico, sweeet!

TejanoLibre
05-10-12, 22:59
I spoke with xoom and they could not tell me if the banks in Argentina actually charge to pick up the money. Did any of you who have used this service get charged additional fees at pick up? It seems right now if you include the fees the rate is about 4. 8.

Pete.Still better than a sharp stick in the ass!

Depends on the stick I guess!

TL

Gato Hunter
05-10-12, 23:32
The conversion is being charged if you try to get dollars from BBVA. No fee getting pesos, use the coupon code also.

SunSeeker
05-11-12, 04:21
The conversion is being charged if you try to get dollars from BBVA. No fee getting pesos, use the coupon code also.GH, are you picking up at Banco Frances? On BAExpat someone wrote that they needed a DNI to pick up their cash, another had to ensure the xoom rate was paid and not the "official" rate.

Gato Hunter
05-11-12, 04:38
I picked up at the More MT. They needed my passport, transaction number, they asked me the amount I expected to be getting and my occupation. Don't say soy ladron like I did as a joke they don't think its funny.

SunSeeker
05-11-12, 04:48
I picked up at the More MT. They needed my passport, transaction number, they asked me the amount I expected to be getting and my occupation. Don't say soy ladron like I did as a joke they don't think its funny.Thanks. I thought I was reading the newest posts first on BAExpats but I wasn't, doh! After reading more it does appear better to pick up at the More location. With a bodyguard haha. I will definitely give it a try when I arrive. Hopefully my spanish will be better by then.

I thought I would try "hombre puto" and see what they say.

El Perro
05-11-12, 11:00
I thought I would try "hombre puto" and see what they say."Hombre puto" roughly translates as "fag man". Cuidado.

Peter Sideburn
05-11-12, 12:24
I picked up at the More MT. They needed my passport, transaction number, they asked me the amount I expected to be getting and my occupation. Don't say soy ladron like I did as a joke they don't think its funny.Sorry to so dense. When I spoke to XOOM they mentioned multiple Banc of France siites that one could use for pick up. What is More MT? Is this a bank chain? Couldn't find it on google.

Pete

Gato Hunter
05-11-12, 13:47
More MT is like a western union.

Www.moremt.com

Dickhead
05-11-12, 18:00
Received 4.85 on Tuesday at the casa de cambio on Scalabrini Ortiz near Cervinyo (no tilde on this keyboard). No ID required.

Paladin
05-11-12, 23:15
A friend got 4. 92 Thursday at the exchange on Rodriguez Pena for 100's

Dickhead
05-11-12, 23:49
Except no one has been able to give a cross street for that place. FWIW I did change 100s but they quoted me the rate before they knew that and I don't think it matters at this place. I will change another thousand before I leave and will try to negotiate which I did not this last time.

Gato Hunter
05-12-12, 00:06
I did a Xoom transfer today to myself that was flagged by AFIP needing "additional documents". It was 8000 pesos. Glad I brought dollars. In hindsight I should not have done that all at once. I was trying to just be good on pesos until I left. Xoom has assured me I will get my money back if there is a problem, we shall see how this goes.

BTW the informal rate today was 5. 18. I want to know where this is at!

SunSeeker
05-12-12, 01:20
"Hombre puto" roughly translates as "fag man". Cuidado.Damn! I guess Portuguese doesn't translate to Spanish on that one! LOL.

Roman719
05-12-12, 11:59
Are any of these places open on a Sunday? And what are the counterfeit checks I should do?

Big Boss Man
05-13-12, 09:41
Citibank ATM was only 4. 40 yesterday so exchanging now seems the best strategy. I will pick up my Xoom. Com transfer this week and I hope I do run into Gatohunter's problems. Called an escort and she said $100 dollars or $400 pesos. I had to laugh.

SunSeeker
05-13-12, 10:18
Citibank ATM was only 4. 40 yesterday so exchanging now seems the best strategy. I will pick up my Xoom. Com transfer this week and I hope I do run into Gatohunter's problems. Called an escort and she said $100 dollars or $400 pesos. I had to laugh.BBM, please post your experience if you are picking up a lot. Once I am in BA I would prefer to doing a 1 time transfer of 2999 USD instead of a whole bunch of transfers, but of course I will do so to avoid any hassles/problems.

Big Boss Man
05-14-12, 12:22
Transaction went very smooth this morning. I received the full 4.97 without further charge. I just told them I was a tourist. There is something about $6,000 in a time period but I am not clear on the rule. Rate this morning is 5.09 which is attractive even with the $30 fee.

Gato Hunter
05-14-12, 19:50
I got 4. 92 for dollars and 6. 1 on the euro at the place on scalability Ortiz today.

Dickhead
05-16-12, 18:20
5. 20 today on S. Ortiz, up from 5. 00 yesterday. That is a 4% increase in one day. The sky is falling.

Big Boss Man
05-16-12, 19:14
Supposedly this a flight to safety. Fairly amazing given the US debt load and unwillingness of Americans to raise taxes or cut government spending. I know Government workers who's pension relies on taxes who do not want to pay taxes. It's all magic now.

TejanoLibre
05-16-12, 20:56
Supposedly this a flight to safety. Fairly amazing given the US debt load and unwillingness of Americans to raise taxes or cut government spending. I know Government workers who's pension relies on taxes who do not want to pay taxes. It's all magic now.As much as $5. 65 to 1 Boys!

If you can find it!

On Lavalle the guy told me :

$5. 15 for less than a grand.

$5. 20 for $1000. 00 to $4999. 00.

$5. 25 for $5000. 00 and up.

That was the carnival barker but if I go straight to the owner there is no commission so it should be higher.

A few of us should pool our resources and get a better deal.

Maybe hit $5.65 .

Say each of us has to exchange 2k or something like that?

TL

Dickhead
05-16-12, 22:31
Somehow my original post on the casa de cambio on Scalabrini Ortiz got edited but it is the first or second door on the right as you cross Cervino (that should have a tilde) coming from Las Heras towards Libertador. I think it is the 3200 block of S. Ortiz but cross Cervino and there is a discreet little door with frosted glass and a buzzer. If you can't find it based on these directions, go to the corner of Park, Waite, and Hope and hacete una paja.

Gato Hunter
05-16-12, 23:10
Like that damn pig commercial. It's on a ride. Jumped to 5. 5 after 4pm.

Big Boss Man
05-18-12, 13:39
To think 3 weeks ago I would have jumped up and down saying ATMs are the way to go when you travel. My large investment house broker is now charging 2% at the ATM so really I was at 4. 20 to 1 last Saturday when I arrived. I could swear it was only 1% fee last year. The big banks are broke guys. They recruited too many people from the same schools, slept together, and now their progeny are idiots. IMO it is an extreme negative sign in an economy when everybody goes off system. Between Dickhead's and Gatohunter's advice I am probably getting a go or two for free.

Gato Hunter
05-18-12, 18:36
Get a Schwab ATM card, they refund all fees and if you have enough in there there is no forex fee's also.

I tried an old trick yesterday. The AMEX office in retro once upon a time would give you 1000 USD as a chas advance. I was going to try to get the USD and hop on a bus to Palermo to make 120$ in 30 minutes. Unfortunately they are only giving pesos now at the blanco rate.

SnakeOilSales
05-20-12, 19:58
There is a reliable black market no questions asked exchange place located on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. If you are walking on Arenales toward 9 de Julio, it is on the left hand side halfway between the aforementioned streets. The sign outside says Exchange and Antiques and the phone number is 4813 7978. Their most recent buy / sell spread was $5. 40/$5. 65.

Jackson
05-20-12, 21:42
Earlier this week I went to my two favorite no-name-on-the-door places on Corrientes near Florida with 2k to exchange.

I observed that their street presence is somewhat diminished than it was in the past. The places used to have 2-4 cops standing in front of the door, but no more. At one place the employees were blocking the door and challenging anyone who wanted to enter, and the other's front door was locked and they appeared closed until a guy inside apparently recognized me through the one way glass and opened the door to let me in.

Unfortunately, both places were stuck on 5.1, so I left.

Congratulations to everyone getting these 5.2-5.4 rates.

Thanks,

Jackson

Amantelondres
05-21-12, 08:59
There is a reliable black market no questions asked exchange place located on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. If you are walking on Arenales toward 9 de Julio, it is on the left hand side halfway between the aforementioned streets. The sign outside says Exchange and Antiques and the phone number is 4813 7978. Their most recent buy / sell spread was $5. 40/$5. 65.Interestingly I found this to be a good place to exchange greens on my last trip. When the guy asked me how much I wanted to change I said 200. Thousand! I was of course joking but he said with a bit of notice it wouldn't be a problem!

Jim Mac
05-26-12, 12:41
Interestingly I found this to be a good place to exchange greens on my last trip. When the guy asked me how much I wanted to change I said 200. Thousand! I was of course joking but he said with a bit of notice it wouldn't be a problem!Can you be reasonably sure at a place like this that you are not getting fake pesos for your greenbacks?

Amantelondres
05-27-12, 07:38
Can you be reasonably sure at a place like this that you are not getting fake pesos for your greenbacks?I had no problem re fake pesos. I'm sure other mongers who've changed greens here would have posted had they experienced a problem

TejanoLibre
05-28-12, 18:10
Earlier this week I went to my two favorite no-name-on-the-door places on Corrientes near Florida with 2k to exchange.

I observed that their street presence is somewhat diminished than it was in the past. The places used to have 2-4 cops standing in front of the door, but no more. At one place the employees were blocking the door and challenging anyone who wanted to enter, and the other's front door was locked and they appeared closed until a guy inside apparently recognized me through the one way glass and opened the door to let me in.

Unfortunately, both places were stuck on 5. 1, so I left.

Congratulations to everyone getting these 5. 2-5. 4 rates.

Thanks,

JacksonNew Law!

http://news.yahoo.com/argentina-more-controls-buying-us-dollars-180240507.html

I can get over 5. 3 at the grocery store!

One of those Asian mini markets.

She has tons of cash ready to go in bundles of 10k.

TL

Canardly
05-29-12, 21:40
Xoom offering 5. 63.

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees

New Law!

http://news.yahoo.com/argentina-more-controls-buying-us-dollars-180240507.html

I can get over 5. 3 at the grocery store!

One of those Asian mini markets.

She has tons of cash ready to go in bundles of 10k.

TL

TejanoLibre
05-29-12, 22:03
Xoom offering 5. 63.

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/feesThat's excellent but I live here so how can I send them money?

What happens if I just show up and ask them to exchange dollars?

TL

Gato Hunter
05-29-12, 22:36
Key words with Xoom are "US based bank account or credit card".

SunSeeker
05-30-12, 00:23
Key words with Xoom are "US based bank account or credit card".Yep that be true. I have a USD account and VISA but not with a US bank and I am out of luck using xoom. Com. Though I can though send money to a friend in the USA via PayPal and have them send me the money via xoom. I'd have to check all the fees to see if it would be worth it though.

What is the daily limit for usd withdrawal in Uruguay?

Tres3
05-31-12, 22:55
I completed a test transfer of USD $200 using the XOOM service. I was sufficiently satisfied that I transferred another USD $500. Here is the 411 on my transfer-by the numbers.

I got 5. 6238 pesos to 1 USD. After you apply the xoom service charge, that works out to about 5. 46 pesos to 1 USD.

1. The web address is www.xoom.com.

2. You must have a USA bank account or credit / debit card. (I used a debit card for the test transfer and a bank account for the second transfer) If you do not have a USA bank account or credit card, you need a TRUSTED friend with one.

3. You can pick up the cash at any MORE Money Transfers or Banco Frances location. The MORE locations are akin to Western Union, and I prefer them. You are in and out very quickly. I am told that some Banco Frances locations require an account. You can also have the money transferred to a bank account.

4. The xoom service charge is variable. It goes up with the amount transferred, so there is only the convenience advantage of transferring a large amount.

5. I had no trouble with the authorities. I do not know whether they make random investigations or if their investigations are based on the size of the transfer.

6. Some credit cards have their own fees which can be quite onerous. For example, I carry one card that has no annual fee, but has a currency conversion fee, a cash advance fee, a "foreign" transaction fee, and starts charging interest as soon as a cash transfer is made. I used a debit / ATM card issued by my bank, that is also a Mastercard. For the second transfer I went directly to my bank account because the xoom service charge is lower for a bank account transfer vice a credit / debit card.

7. You have to have TWO different email addresses in order to send money to yourself. Xoom asks for two email addresses (one for the sender and a different one for the receiver) , and they cannot be the same. I use AOL, so this was not a problem. I am pretty sure that hotmail, yahoo, and gmail all accommodate multiple email addresses.

8. You must have an Argentina address and telephone number. I used the apartment I am renting, and it worked just fine. I am sure that you can use a hotel with no problem.

9. I gave the person behind the CAJA window at MORE a slip of paper with the transaction number, the amount of pesos I was expecting and my USA passport. He counted the money and I was out of there. I used the MORE on Libertad in Retiro.

10. The xoom online form has a space for a coupon code, but they also say that they do not accept coupons. I could not find a code that worked and paid the service charge.

Tres3

Yujin
06-01-12, 23:38
Given the Argentinean government's restriction on currency exchange from pesos to dollars, I'm wondering if anyone can share their recent experience with currency exchange from peso to US dollar. Are tourists able to exchange their peso to US dollar at local banks before they depart? Is official pre-approval necessary for the currency exchange?

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?

Gandolf50
06-02-12, 09:33
Given the Argentinean government's restriction on currency exchange from pesos to dollars, I'm wondering if anyone can share their recent experience with currency exchange from peso to US dollar. Are tourists able to exchange their peso to US dollar at local banks before they depart? Is official pre-approval necessary for the currency exchange?

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?Banks in Argentina are more or less under the control of the government (the law requires them to "invest 50% of their deposits in government bonds etc. Which give the president a lot of say in the way banks operate here. That said I would not advise anyone from keeping more then a few thousand pesos (for day to day use) in ANY bank here. Most people here with money keep a "stash" at home which is why there are so many home invasions and kidnappings. The people with money here, if they are intelligent need to keep a low profile because #1 the banks are thieves #2 the police are worthless (they get paid nothing!) and very often are connected to the crime #3 The law gives minors immunity to do what ever they please. Most crimes are committed by minors although often under the direction of adults. #4 there are too many poor people here that think the rich should support them. A theme that the government tends to underwrite.

Tourists may change their pesos into dollars only if they can show a receipt from a legit "casa de cambio" and then the can only change up to the amount shown on the receipt.

Tres3
06-02-12, 11:49

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?It is hearsay, but I have heard it from more than one person. An Argentinian citizen now must "prove" (whatever that means) that he got the pesos "legally" before he is allowed to change them to dollars. I do not know about legal residents who carry USA passports, but if you travel to the USA or Europe a lot, I would recommend a foreign bank account with some dollars or euros on deposit. For a tourist (or anyone carrying a foreign passport) to change pesos back to dollars, you need a receipt from a licensed "casa de cambio", and a lot of patience. You will still take a haircut, but it is better than nothing. You should plan your travels to leave the country with very few pesos.

Unless you are going to change dollars to pesos on the "bolsa negro", I advise using plastic and ATMs for most of your transactions. They give you close to the "official" exchange rate at the time of the transaction, and you do not have the hassle of going to a "casa de cambio" to obtain pesos. You should carry an ATM card that rebates ATM fees, and a credit card with no "foreign transaction" fees. If you have a frequent flyer miles credit card, you get miles for your vacation expenditures.

Tres3

Gato Hunter
06-02-12, 17:09

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?I put on my best gringo tourista face and tried this before I left for shits and giggles.

The answer is "NO".

This made me watch my peso count the last few days I was there. In the end I gave one of my long time favoritas a nice tip on my last day, and a bought 120 pesos worth of alphahores, postcards and other touristy shit to make it look like I was actually on vacation and not fucking every hot chica on a whim.

SunSeeker
06-02-12, 17:54

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?I kept my pesos knowing I would be coming back (big grin). Another 4 days!

El Queso
06-05-12, 02:48
I just completed a transfer using Xoom. I was very impressed with the simplicity.

I sent $1700 USD, at an exchange rate of 5.63, via the debit card attached to my bank account. The fee was 46.70, which is higher using a debit card (30 would have been a direct bank debit) , but I wanted to try this first. I have since added my bank account to my Xoom account to try it that way next time.

My effective exchange rate including the fees, then, was 5. 48 pesos to the dollar.

I had to fill out a form there in the office, when I went to pick up my money. As I understand it, locally, there is a $5000 ARS limit on how much a recipient can pick up without filling out a form which has both the sender and recipient's information. I filled out both sides since it was me at both ends, and had no problems. I put my same email address in both recipient and sender and nothing was remarked. I signed some receipts and they counted out the money.

There are limits on Xoom transfers. Check the site to get the correct information, under "Help". Easy to find.

I believe that the declaration you fill out here to receive the money is based on the local ARS $5000 limit that was mentioned for More to give out money. But since More is here locally, I don't know that the Xoom forms and the MMT (More) forms serve the same purpose. As I understand it, to raise my limit to send from Xoom, I have to declare other documentation with them.

To send more than Xoom's default limits you need to fill out more information with Xoom. The website gives you telephone numbers to use to contact them to file this additional information. They mention something like an official government-issued I'd (such as a driver's license) to be on file to comply with US regulations. They also say that if you try to send more than the limit, that you will automatically prompted to fill in the required information at the point you send on the website.

It took me about a total of ten minutes to complete the transfer. The girl behind the glass was pleasant and professional. They give you the money in an envelope, but be ready to put it somewhere quickly. But you're only 2/3 block from Santa Fe anyway.

The area's quite safe overall. Technically it is in Retiro (I was surprised, thinking Retiro ended at 9 de Julio until I looked on a barrio map) , but it's effectively part (or outskirts of) Recoleta. It's actually safer than parts of Recoleta where it gets closer to the Villa nearby.

AllIWantIsLove
06-06-12, 02:27

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?I did my last two exchanges from dollars to pesos at a bank. Then before I left I went to the same bank (although I don't think that mattered) and gave them pesos and one of the receipts, which was for more than the number of pesos I gave them, and received dollars. But that was a few months ago.

Bob

Gtbguy
06-06-12, 21:58
Becareful out there, we've had a number of people that have received fake 50s amd 100s peso notes. Taxi cab drivers can be notorious for this and we even had a fake $50 peso note come from an ATM. Look at them closely!

Dickhead
06-07-12, 00:33
Becareful out there, we've had a number of people that have received fake 50s amd 100s peso notes. Taxi cab drivers can be notorious for this and we even had a fake $50 peso note come from an ATM. Look at them closely!Who's "we"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? What does getting fake money from a taxista have to do with the subject of this thread? And what happens if you "look closely" at all the bills you get from an ATM and you think one is fake? What exactly do you plan to do then?

SunSeeker
06-07-12, 18:22
Somehow my original post on the casa de cambio on Scalabrini Ortiz got edited but it is the first or second door on the right as you cross Cervino (that should have a tilde) coming from Las Heras towards Libertador. I think it is the 3200 block of S. Ortiz but cross Cervino and there is a discreet little door with frosted glass and a buzzer. If you can't find it based on these directions, go to the corner of Park, Waite, and Hope and hacete una paja.Found the place no problem after finding your post. Has a sign "Dollar Euro" and a green awning. I had not gone far enough on Scalabrini this morning. 5.4 today for 5 x $100 bills. No sense changing more at one time if the rate continues to climb.

Equivalent with xoom.com, including the $15 service fee paying with a bank account, would get you $2684.85 (5.3697 - 1). Almost the same as the cambio gave today.

TejanoLibre
06-12-12, 17:45
Found the place no problem after finding your post. Has a sign "Dollar Euro" and a green awning. I had not gone far enough on Scalabrini this morning. 5.4 today for 5 x $100 bills. No sense changing more at one time if the rate continues to climb.

Equivalent with xoom. Com, including the $15 service fee paying with a bank account, would get you $2684. 85 (5. 3697. 1). Almost the same as the cambio gave today.I have a better deal for you Boys!

Nestor Umere

He is paying $5. 65 today if it's at least a grand.

You call him and he will bring it to your hotel or apartment.

Super Safe to do things this way.

I'm pissed because I only got $5. 30 from him just recently but the dollar keeps jumping!

Nestor 153 517 0377.

Tell him Tejano Libre sent you!

TL

TejanoLibre
06-18-12, 16:27
I have a better deal for you Boys!

Nestor Umere

He is paying $5. 65 today if it's at least a grand.

You call him and he will bring it to your hotel or apartment.

Super Safe to do things this way.

I'm pissed because I only got $5. 30 from him just recently but the dollar keeps jumping!

Nestor 153 517 0377.

Tell him Tejano Libre sent you!

TLA friend of "OURS" on this board received counterfit pesos from the Xoom affiliate here in BA.

Don't know how much or how many $100. 00 peso bills they gave him but an exchange house should know better!

TL.

I'm sticking to Nestor

Lgover
07-01-12, 13:33
TL,

Nestor phone# not working. Updated ph# for exchange? Gracie.

A friend of "OURS" on this board received counterfit pesos from the Xoom affiliate here in BA.

Don't know how much or how many $100. 00 peso bills they gave him but an exchange house should know better!

TL.

I'm sticking to Nestor

Lgover
07-01-12, 17:28
Western Union at Lavalle and Florida in Microcenter offered 5. 50p for a dollar today.

Much better than 4. 32 offered by the cambio de casas next door to them.

Inflation here is crazy now.

TL,

Nestor phone# not working. Updated ph# for exchange? Gracie.

Gato Hunter
07-01-12, 17:34
The zoom rate is over 6 now that sounds like a low rateI have stopped using more MT using BBVA bank transfer now.

People have gotten truchos from an ATM

From a security standpoint I would never invite some stranger to my apartment for a money deal now they know where to send the ladrons for all Of your shit or worse.

I wor not do a large amount either the rate is not doing down anytime soon

TejanoLibre
07-01-12, 19:44
TL,

Nestor phone# not working. Updated ph# for exchange? Gracie.The phone number rings and goes into his voice mailbox so I don't know.

At first I had the same thoughts as GH about having someone come over but if you have an apartment with an entryway downstairs that's good enough.

The Money Man will not know which unit you live in and if you are in a hotel then it does not matter and the lobby is good enough.

And if that's not good enough you can go and see him on Lavalle where he will take you to a Chino grocery store in broad daylight and the old woman will hand you stacks of $10. 000. 00 pesos stacks.

I need to go look for him tomorrow.

Also, you boys should pool your cash before you exchange to get the highest rates.

Bank Transfers :

A ROYAL PAIN the last time I tried

It must go to the Central Bank first and if not claimed by a certain day it will be returned to the USA, a lot of paper work and red tape and questions and after all that if you do get your money it will be in pesos and at the official rate I'm sure.

Maybe things have changed?

TL

SunSeeker
07-05-12, 12:10
5. 7 there this morning. Xoom shows 5. 9 so pretty much equal after fees.

Gato Hunter
07-05-12, 14:45
I went there today also with 200$ in ratty 20$ got 5. 7 if there is anyone that needs help finding this place sendmea pm I'll show you just pay my bus fare $2. 50 round trip I'm going to go every two or three days I'm just changing enough for a few days worth of lomo matte and empanadas I'm suprised how cheap I can live when I'm not buying chica drinks and paying two or three chicas a day the rate is not going down anytime soon. This place always seems to change increments by 5 centavos. Will probably be 5. 75 next time

Also there was a PFA inside as a guard today. Only in Argentina is there a federal officer in an illegal casa de cambio.

SunSeeker
07-05-12, 18:38
I'm surprised how cheap I can live when I'm not buying chica drinks and paying two or three chicas a day.HAH! Ain't that the truth! I've hit the place 3 times in the last month and the rate has gone 5. 5,5. 6, and today's 5. 7. Yeah there is no reason to change a lot each time. If the rate gets high enough I may go buy the color photo printer I saw for $3100 pesos!

TejanoLibre
07-05-12, 18:53
6 to 1 the other day from a friend!

As for the printer, realize that it's probably $299. 99 Dollars on E-Bay!

TL.

Man it's out of control Boys!

Price of Pussy is getting pretty high! Like Giraffe Pussy and that's really up there!

SunSeeker
07-05-12, 20:30
6 to 1 the other day from a friend!

As for the printer, realize that it's probably $299. 99 Dollars on E-Bay!

TL.

Man it's out of control Boys!

Price of Pussy is getting pretty high! Like Giraffe Pussy and that's really up there!Yep, online it is around $375-$400 USD, but at 34lbs I wouldn't want to try and bring it here. Or pay whatever the extortion would be to buy it from Amazon and get it shipped here. Hey at 8-1 it is 400! Jajaja. Canon Pixma Pro9000 MarkII.

What pussy has been getting pretty high? Lots for less than 500 pesos. Some high quality and some lower quality. A person just needs to take some time and do some research.

Gato Hunter
07-05-12, 21:00
A 7 or 8 will cost 500 with no arguments AMD basic Spanish. With BBBJ

SunSeeker
07-05-12, 21:21
A 7 or 8 will cost 500 with no arguments AMD basic Spanish. With BBBJ500 for a foreigner or for a local as well? A majority of the chicas from BG, SI, and other websites on the local boards are 400 servicio completo. Some are 500 yes, and some I would most definitely not think twice before dropping 500 for them. If a majority of the chicas start hitting the locals for 500 then I will agree prices are going up. I don't go to Hook, Black, Madahos etc so I have no idea if all those chicas are 500 and up or not.

Just my opinion but it seems as soon as some chicas know you are not local their asking price goes up. If they can get it kudos to them.

Big Boss Man
07-05-12, 21:53
What's interesting to me is that since May when I was there the Cambio and Xoom have switched positions on which pays the most. In May Cambio was paying 5. 50 and Xoom was at 5. 00. Now Xoom is at 5. 97 and Cambio is at 5. 70. Is this the result of government policy?

SunSeeker
07-05-12, 22:07
What's interesting to me is that since May when I was there the Cambio and Xoom have switched positions on which pays the most. In May Cambio was paying 5. 50 and Xoom was at 5. 00. Now Xoom is at 5. 97 and Cambio is at 5. 70. Is this the result of government policy?Hey BBM! When you figure in the fees the rates are almost the same. 5.72 vs 5. 7 for $500usd.

I don't know how the locals keep up with the prices in the grocery stores. It seems like the prices change a couple of times a week.

Gato Chaser
07-05-12, 22:12
Hey BBM! When you figure in the fees the rates are almost the same. 5.72 vs 5. 7 for $500usd.

I don't know how the locals keep up with the prices in the grocery stores. It seems like the prices change a couple of times a week.I was talking with my dad about this same subject and we came to the conclusion that most of the locals (he is one) , bite the bullet on the small Chinese markets, but then hit the COTO or Carefour on the days where they have the 20% off and stock up.

Also they seem to rely a lot on their CC company agreements with malls and dept stores rather than buying full retail.

Gato Hunter
07-06-12, 10:13
I have info on 5. 8 will once I personally confirm I will pass it on.

Gato Hunter
07-06-12, 15:01
Prolly another jump coming, there was a new law forbidding tht sale of dollars for savings read it in the BA herald today.

Gato Hunter
07-06-12, 15:09
You ain't shitting on the grocery store I have been living in with the GF and we went to disco the other night got a lot of stuff to cook with and a few kilos of lomo for the grill, it's was 550 fucking pesos!

I have not been carrying a lot of cash but I just went to cambio and had a months salary in my pocket or I would have been a pelotudo, when Mongering hard core I would usually have 3000 pesos on me as walking around money. Now it's like 200 unless I'm going to the grocery store. Jeje

Gato Hunter
07-08-12, 18:24
Got 5. 8 today from a dude on lavalle he sid 5. 6 I said 5. 8 replied OK did the deal in a doorway $200 in twentys

Member #3320
07-09-12, 02:56
Got 5. 8 today from a dude on lavalle he sid 5. 6 I said 5. 8 replied OK did the deal in a doorway $200 in twentysWhat is safer / better? Xoom or on in BA exchange home?

WorldTravel69
07-09-12, 12:15
The Government wants all transactions in Pesos.

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/07/06/argentina-its-official-no-more-dollars/#axzz208PD89Du

Gato Hunter
07-09-12, 14:05
I have been shut off from Xoom, they want bank statements and all sorts of shit, fuck that. It was actually MOre MT not Xoom that shut me off isn't about I sent myself about 3000$ over a 3 month period, I have heard of others having this happen also.

Holding cash is the best option I belive, if there is a probelm and you can't get money from xoomyour fucked without a backup.

I'm going to Montevideo with my GF this week and you can get dollars there from ATM I'm going to re charge the reserves if I get 2000$ out I will make almost 2000 pesos over using an Argie ATM more than enough to cover the cost of the boat and food.

Xoom is the best rate though.

Using an ATM is the worst move you loose out on about a peso per dollar or more

Canardly
07-10-12, 01:06
Banks may sell you Pesos AR at a great rate in Monte, at least they did back in January.

Completely legal too.

AR is toilet paper to them so they will deal.

I have been shut off from Xoom, they want bank statements and all sorts of shit, fuck that. It was actually MOre MT not Xoom that shut me off isn't about I sent myself about 3000$ over a 3 month period, I have heard of others having this happen also.

Holding cash is the best option I belive, if there is a probelm and you can't get money from xoomyour fucked without a backup.

I'm going to Montevideo with my GF this week and you can get dollars there from ATM I'm going to re charge the reserves if I get 2000$ out I will make almost 2000 pesos over using an Argie ATM more than enough to cover the cost of the boat and food.

Daddy Rulz
07-10-12, 20:24
I've talked to other people who had the same problem in BsAs with Xoom. Here in Corrientes it just couldn't be easier. First time there I filled out a few sheets of paper, after that just sign for the money and go. Have you been using a bank or money store? I'm using a money store here.

Gato Hunter
07-11-12, 03:23
Money strore, I'm going to set up with the GF 'S bank account soon though and try that way.

Gato Hunter
07-13-12, 17:59
There es another law passed today saying you can't buy dollar with cash has to be a bank transfer. Blue rate is now6. 1 I was offered 6 today by a cambio guy in llavlle

El Perro
07-14-12, 14:34
5. 8 today at the cueva on Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino. That might be a little lite given the blue rate jumped to near 6. 10 yesterday.

Gato Hunter
07-14-12, 14:43
That is light. 5.95 or 6 is correct now, the rate was 6. 17 yesterday

SunSeeker
07-14-12, 14:52
5. 8 today at the cueva on Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino. That might be a little lite given the blue rate jumped to near 6. 10 yesterday.May be different this coming week. I see xoom is 5. 99 today and I have found this cueva is usually. 15 less. I'm to leery of changing with the guys downtown. I wouldn't be able to tell a fake 100 from a good 100.

Gato Hunter
07-14-12, 14:55
I go into a bus ticket office well lit private, can inspect. Every note. Bring a wingman if doing a large amount, SAFTEY and numbers

Gato Hunter
07-16-12, 10:40
With the need to print money as fast as possible brazil has been printing 100 peso notes as fast as possible. Well they fucked up the cuttigng process and cut the 1 off the end so you have a 00 peso notes these are legal tender.

I have not gotten or seen one yet but if I do I'm going to keep it, misprint money tends to have collector value over time.

A fellow board member turned me on to this, I followed up and checked it out online, you cn prolly google it yourself if you don't belibve me

Gato Hunter
07-16-12, 19:38
My wingman and o hoy 5. 9 for 1000 today from the place I found. Started At 5. 8 just a little leveragge and he bent like a treein the Wind.

Gato Hunter
07-16-12, 19:39
Fuck I bate.

IPad autocorrect!

Gandolf50
07-16-12, 20:14
A friend of mine whose brother works in the stock exchange said they were buying dollars today at 6. 25. They expect it to keep climbing. On another more or less related subject, while talking to a friend who is in military intelligence (a oxymoron if I ever heard one) that they expect naftas to go to 10 pesos a liter with in a year.

Gato Hunter
07-16-12, 22:47
Please tell us all where we can do this, sounds like a trading action ning somethingthe every day monger can do.

Zqqqqqq.

At current exchange rate. A months salary is 500$, this is the amount needed to do any mother fucking thing you want in a given evening, trust me. When I die and my life flashes in front I will giggle.

Gandolf50
07-17-12, 06:52
Please tell us all where we can do this, sounds like a trading action ning somethingthe every day monger can do.

Zqqqqqq.

At current exchange rate. A months salary is 500$, this is the amount needed to do any mother fucking thing you want in a given evening, trust me. When I die and my life flashes in front I will giggle.Unfortunately it seems you need to be a member to get in. (the stock exchange that is) I have already asked if I can give him some money in advance to give to his brother to change for me. I will let you know what he say after he talks to his brother. It was the point though that it is going to continue to climb. One has to laugh, I read over the weekend where the deficit is now around 75% here. Yet the queen bee here keeps saying to other countries "Look at us and how well we are doing!" Argentine history repeats itself again!

Gandolf50
07-17-12, 08:07
I just heard on the TV that the dollar "BLUE" reached 6. 33 yesterday!

Gato Hunter
07-17-12, 14:05
Yes that's the online rate also, will test the waters later on this week to see what is attainable for real though, one of the best places in the world right now to have dollars, pussy gets cheaper by the day!

El Perro
07-18-12, 18:16
Up to 6.80 today. Its important to keep in mind that it is winter vacation time right now in Argentina. There is thin trading as a result and more volatility. Also, with the recent AFIP restrictions regarding dollars and travel for argies, their vacation demand for dollars is likely driving the blue rate up as well. Not to say the rate will go down a lot, but it might go back down some once the vacation period comes to an end. Vamos a ver.

Dccpa
07-19-12, 13:26
Xoom only shows about 6. 27, so you guys are getting a fantastic rate. Argentina, one of the few places printing money faster than the US. LOL

Gato Hunter
07-19-12, 18:04
Xoom only shows about 6. 27, so you guys are getting a fantastic rate. Argentina, one of the few places printing money faster than the US. LOLThe UK is going much faster than the EEUU

Stranger
07-20-12, 12:34
HILARIUS article in today's Buenos Aires Herald called;

"Travelling overseas? Check how to get some greens"

Get out your popcorn and enjoy!

Situation on the ground here is unreal now, everyone is DESPERATE for USD, girls tell me they get no action and it is a "we are hitting the iceberg" feeling here!

Basically I party like it is 1999, jeje.

Stranger

Member #3320
07-20-12, 14:32
Basically I party like it is 1999, jeje.

StrangerDo you think girls are increasing their prices in sync with the blue market rate? Or you would say girl rates are pretty much the same as 8 months ago?

Wild Walleye
07-20-12, 15:04
Is there a premium above the blue rate to be had by paying chicas in dollars?

El Perro
07-20-12, 15:26
Do you think girls are increasing their prices in sync with the blue market rate? Or you would say girl rates are pretty much the same as 8 months ago?Chica rates are going up along with everything else. Even old standbys are now from $400-500p. Getting laid for $400p is a pretty cheap fuck.

I don't know if the chicas follow the blue rate or not, but it doesn't much matter. Word on the street is the gauge.

I've been back in BA a week and the prices are an eye opener. Offset to a great degree however by the ballooning blue dollar rate. I brought plenty of dollars with me and I'm glad I did. At this point ATM fees are a thing of the past. Its Xoom, Uruguay or working a deal with someone in the states who has bank accounts there and in BA.

The times they be a changin'.

SunSeeker
07-20-12, 15:56
Do you think girls are increasing their prices in sync with the blue market rate? Or you would say girl rates are pretty much the same as 8 months ago?The chicas I've been with have not been increasing their prices. The majority of their clients are local argies. The chicas that mostly deal with the tourists or short-timers may have increased their prices but I have no idea if they have or not. There is either not a lot of fucking going on or not a lot of posts with prices. LOL

WhiteCat
07-20-12, 19:35
The chicas I've been with have not been increasing their prices. The majority of their clients are local argies. The chicas that mostly deal with the tourists or short-timers may have increased their prices but I have no idea if they have or not. There is either not a lot of fucking going on or not a lot of posts with prices. LOLIf you stay away from the mainstream gringo hustlers you can do ok but it takes a little Spanish to navigate the route. There is still plenty of tush to be had at a good price. Do some homework and keep that Spanish cd in the computer everyone. And NEVER pay anyone AR850 (plus taxi) for service.

AllIWantIsLove
07-21-12, 01:12
Is there a premium above the blue rate to be had by paying chicas in dollars?A good question. I hope someone responds. A related question is, if they will take dollars, are they OK with smaller bills like 10s and 20s? In Feb. The guy who was buying dollars from me wasn't interested in anything smaller than 50s. (Although a bank was OK with 10s and 20s.)

Bob

TejanoLibre
07-21-12, 03:29
A good question. I hope someone responds. A related question is, if they will take dollars, are they OK with smaller bills like 10s and 20s? In Feb. The guy who was buying dollars from me wasn't interested in anything smaller than 50s. (Although a bank was OK with 10s and 20s.)

BobMine are real pesos and the margin will be fair!

TL.

Got 6. 20 to 1 on just a hun!

Rocky2
07-21-12, 12:07
Mine are real pesos and the margin will be fair!

TL.

Got 6. 20 to 1 on just a hun!What "mine" are you referring to.

Gato Hunter
07-21-12, 15:45
In Uruguay I was able to get up to daily 1k$ limit with a schwab card, at 300$ a pull, crispy franklins.

NEVER let your chica see you pulling ben Franklin from an ATM this was a chica management failure on my part it fucked shit up, I'm going to have to gently cut her loose now.

Two cambio places I asked only did the hair cut aproach dollars to Uruguay Pesos the to Ars. No gracias!

SnakeOilSales
07-21-12, 16:33
In Uruguay I was able to get up to daily 1k$ limit with a schwab card, at 300$ a pull, crispy franklins.

NEVER let your chica see you pulling ben Franklin from an ATM this was a chica management failure on my part it fucked shit up, I'm going to have to gently cut her loose now.

Two cambio places I asked only did the hair cut aproach dollars to Uruguay Pesos the to Ars. No gracias!In Uruguay certain key banks will exchange any major currency for any other major currency without first exchanging for Uruguayan Pesos. For example, the spread on USD-Euro exchange at said bank is $1. 20/$1. 23 and USD-GBP is $1. 55/$1. 59 which are very competitive rates and ironically FAR better than you could ever get from an exchange place within the US itself. The rate for exchanging AR pesos directly to USD is a whopping 7. 33 AR/$1 USD.

Gato Hunter
07-21-12, 16:59
In Uruguay certain key banks will exchange any major currency for any other major currency without first exchanging for Uruguayan Pesos. For example, the spread on USD-Euro exchange at said bank is $1. 20/$1. 23 and USD-GBP is $1. 55/$1. 59 which are very competitive rates and ironically FAR better than you could ever get from an exchange place within the US itself. The rate for exchanging AR pesos directly to USD is a whopping 7. 33 AR/$1 USD.Wish I could of found a place like that, I asked twice in casa de cambios, did not think of asking a bank, and had better things to do. When I won 5 million guarani in paraguay last year playing poker they gave me a really good rate at the time to pay me in ARS, and I took it.

Gato Hunter
07-21-12, 21:10
I got 6. 25 after some negotiation. For 2 franklins, the catch was I got it in 50 peso notes, I don't care they are accepted everywhere.

TejanoLibre
07-22-12, 06:31
I got 6. 25 after some negotiation. For 2 franklins, the catch was I got it in 50 peso notes, I don't care they are accepted everywhere.Just get in touch with me!

TL

Daddy Rulz
07-24-12, 19:57
Not sure why others are having problems. I did a transfer last night and got the email this morning saying it was ready. I went to the money store at Libertad 1057 and had no problem. Less than 10 minutes I walked out with my money. As almost all of you guys have more cash than I do the issue may be in the amounts. I sent U$S 700 which cost me 20 bucks and I walked out with 4400 and change. I told the lady behind the counter that other people I knew were having issues with the service. I asked her if it might be the amount because all my "friends" are rich. She said it shouldn't be an issue but you never know in practice. Considering that I would have had to spend almost 1000 bucks for a like amount from an ATM I was most happy crappy.

I've talked to other people who had the same problem in BsAs with Xoom. Here in Corrientes it just couldn't be easier. First time there I filled out a few sheets of paper, after that just sign for the money and go. Have you been using a bank or money store? I'm using a money store here.

SunSeeker
07-24-12, 20:26
Not sure why others are having problems. I did a transfer last night and got the email this morning saying it was ready. I went to the money store at Libertad 1057 and had no problem. Less than 10 minutes I walked out with my money. As almost all of you guys have more cash than I do the issue may be in the amounts. I sent U$S 700 which cost me 20 bucks and I walked out with 4400 and change. I told the lady behind the counter that other people I knew were having issues with the service. I asked her if it might be the amount because all my "friends" are rich. She said it shouldn't be an issue but you never know in practice. Considering that I would have had to spend almost 1000 bucks for a like amount from an ATM I was most happy crappy.Hey DR! Xoom, cash, or a day trip to Colonia rule! Get on the buquebus! My bank is probably wondering if I am still alive as I haven't used the ATM in so long! LOL

SunSeeker
07-24-12, 22:36
Xoom is now at 6. 31 I will need to get some pesos this week and I will post what the cambio on Cervino gives me.

El Perro
07-25-12, 10:49
Xoom is now at 6. 31 I will need to get some pesos this week and I will post what the cambio on Cervino gives me.If I get over there before you do, I'll post as well.

SunSeeker
07-25-12, 12:55
Xoom is down to 6. 26 this morning. The cambio gave me 6. 1 for 100x5 which is what I had expected.

Daddy Rulz
07-25-12, 13:22
I have a good Cambio as well in Galaria del Sol. What I don't have is dollars in my pocket. I have to move them from my bank in the US to here so cambios do me no good. I just wanted to let everybody know I had no problem at the place I went to.

Xoom is down to 6. 26 this morning. The cambio gave me 6. 1 for 100x5 which is what I had expected.

El Perro
07-26-12, 14:25
6. 10 today at the Cervino cueva, for $500US. This strikes me as little light given the blue rate is just short of 6. 50. I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a better rate elsewhere.

SunSeeker
07-26-12, 15:16
6. 10 today at the Cervino cueva, for $500US. This strikes me as little light given the blue rate is just short of 6. 50. I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a better rate elsewhere.Hey BD let us know what you find out. I could always use a little more cash (big grin).

Xoom is still 6. 26, after adding in their fees the place on cervino is pretty close to the same. And it is a very short walk from my apt.

Gato Hunter
07-26-12, 20:18
I'll check out the lavalle place mañana

Daddy Rulz
07-26-12, 21:10
I always got a pretty good rate at a cambio in Galeria del Sol. It's at the corner of Florida and Paraguay. If you walk in the Paraguay entrance you will see a little leather shop at the first hallway intersection after you enter a little to the right. Inside should be a pretty fat guy with white hair. Behind a little wooden half wall is where they change the money. I haven't used him in years but back in the day the rates were good and I never got a single fake bill.

6. 10 today at the Cervino cueva, for $500US. This strikes me as little light given the blue rate is just short of 6. 50. I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a better rate elsewhere.

Gato Hunter
07-26-12, 22:21
I gt 6. 1 for 200$ tonigh on lavalle.

Guy would not budge. I needed pesos for tonih so I took it I betters ATM.

Dccpa
07-27-12, 10:28
I gt 6. 1 for 200$ tonigh on lavalle.

Guy would not budge. I needed pesos for tonih so I took it I betters ATM.AP is letting me post today. Lately, there are days where I can log in as many times as I want to, the program thanks me for logging in, but I am still not logged in.

The USD reached the end of a technical pattern late Wednesday / early Thursday and broke down sharply from over 84 to under 83. Because the markets have had a tremendous amount of false breakouts / breakdowns in the markets over the last year, I am still not convinced that the move is real. But for now, the USD has stopped its uptrend.

Gato Hunter
07-27-12, 15:42
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/evita-argentina-peso-note.html

Roca must be sad.

Daddy Rulz
07-28-12, 20:38
Because I've been talking about this place I took a quick run by it today. Whatever is in the local is different from the fake leather place that used to be there. I'll go back and poke around the Galaria next week and see if he's still there but for the nonce consider it closed.

I always got a pretty good rate at a cambio in Galeria del Sol. It's at the corner of Florida and Paraguay. If you walk in the Paraguay entrance you will see a little leather shop at the first hallway intersection after you enter a little to the right. Inside should be a pretty fat guy with white hair. Behind a little wooden half wall is where they change the money. I haven't used him in years but back in the day the rates were good and I never got a single fake bill.

Gato Hunter
07-28-12, 21:04
Back of the Western union place at Florida why lavalle, ot 6. 2 for 200$ tonight all the way in the back on the right side there is a door go through money booth behind!

Damman
07-29-12, 00:34
Heard the Government got involved with the blue market when it it peaked last week. Used *a third party / friend to dump some bucks when it approached seven. Something happened the way it retreated.

SnakeOilSales
07-29-12, 07:39
Heard the Government got involved with the blue market when it it peaked last week. Used *a third party / friend to dump some bucks when it approached seven. Something happened the way it retreated.La Nacion supports your statement in this article published today:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1494348-kicillof-vigila-a-los-privados-para-evitar-los-despidos

Mpexy
08-04-12, 01:25
When I lived in bs. As before, used my US based Citibank account as primary source of drawing pesos, with advantage not paying any withdrawal fees due to my bank status. So other than some dollars brought in for initial apartment rent, did everything in ATM supplied pesos.

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4.5 official bank rate.

Basically looking to confirm and get additional how-to kinda primer on exchanging cash dollar to pesos now:

As I understand it, there are official cambios. Walk in currency exchange places that provide better than ATM withdrawal but worse than blue dollar rate exchange pegged by blue chip bond swap rates? Or did I read this wrong, not quite sure about this.

Followed by arboletos or highly unofficial individuals giving whatever black market rate of the day that is higher than the cambios and close to or better than bond pegged blue rate?

Read about Xoom so may try it but not really interested in that option at moment. Partly because even cash pickup seems to have couple days delay, and not sure but read various claims only allow $3k / mo which would be far too small. Also not interested in random arboleto, exchanging with guy on corner or back of t-shirt shop just not my thing.

Are there actual walk in cambios that provide close to 6:1? Read here something about western union. Is that WU actually providing exchange services or some random guy that walks into the WU with you?

Somewhat of a consideration is also budget. No matter how great the rate I can't exchange couple hundred bucks at a time. Looking for a reliable, reasonably safe cambio type place I can exchange large sums every day if needed. Basically, ATM version of a cambio place that's higher than bank rate but ok to be lower than blue rate pegged to bonds.

Anything like that exist? I recall a cambio called Metropolis in recoleta next to cafe la biela. Anyone know if they exchange only at bank rates or do they follow the unofficial rates?

Daddy Rulz
08-04-12, 11:08
No I'm not a paid shill for these guys but my experience is different. Every transfer I've done has taken less than 24 hours. I highly recomend the pick up place at Libertad 1057 (I think that's the number, it's between M T de Alvear why Santa Fe). As far as any blue market rate with bank cards I don't know of any. To my understanding you're taking it up the ass on the cambio everytime you stick that card in a machine or use it at a store because you're going to get the "official" rate. With the cap on Xoom I guess it could be part of getting cash and just live with Christina fucking you for the others. If anybody knows a way to get dollars with a bank card at a better rate I'm all ears.

When I lived in bs. As before, used my US based Citibank account as primary source of drawing pesos, with advantage not paying any withdrawal fees due to my bank status. So other than some dollars brought in for initial apartment rent, did everything in ATM supplied pesos.

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4. 5 official bank rate.

Basically looking to confirm and get additional how-to kinda primer on exchanging cash dollar to pesos now:

As I understand it, there are official cambios. Walk in currency exchange places that provide better than ATM withdrawal but worse than blue dollar rate exchange pegged by blue chip bond swap rates? Or did I read this wrong, not quite sure about this.

Followed by arboletos or highly unofficial individuals giving whatever black market rate of the day that is higher than the cambios and close to or better than bond pegged blue rate?

Read about Xoom so may try it but not really interested in that option at moment. Partly because even cash pickup seems to have couple days delay, and not sure but read various claims only allow $3k / mo which would be far too small. Also not interested in random arboleto, exchanging with guy on corner or back of t-shirt shop just not my thing.

Are there actual walk in cambios that provide close to 6:1? Read here something about western union. Is that WU actually providing exchange services or some random guy that walks into the WU with you?

Somewhat of a consideration is also budget. No matter how great the rate I can't exchange couple hundred bucks at a time. Looking for a reliable, reasonably safe cambio type place I can exchange large sums every day if needed. Basically, ATM version of a cambio place that's higher than bank rate but ok to be lower than blue rate pegged to bonds.

Anything like that exist? I recall a cambio called Metropolis in recoleta next to cafe la biela. Anyone know if they exchange only at bank rates or do they follow the unofficial rates?

SunSeeker
08-04-12, 14:47
Xoom has the rate at 6. 11 this morning. Lower than last weeks 6. 26

SnakeOilSales
08-05-12, 05:57

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4. 5 official bank rate.

Anything like that exist? I recall a cambio called Metropolis in recoleta next to cafe la biela. Anyone know if they exchange only at bank rates or do they follow the unofficial rates?There are no places legally buying and selling currency higher than the official rate; the blue rate and blue exchange houses (the proper term for these establishments is "cueva") are 100% ILLEGAL yet are allowed to exist and operate (like so many other things in Argentina). The "bond" linked rate you refer to is the "contado con liquidacion" which means you buy bonds in Argentina in pesos that can be cashed in for dollars in the US. The "blue" rate available at cuevas is what you need to reference in terms of what you can get by walking into one of these places with USD cash. This website is a good reference for the current price of the various exchange rates.

http://dolarblue.net

Mpexy
08-05-12, 19:35
There are no places legally buying and selling currency higher than the official rate; the blue rate and blue exchange houses (the proper term for these establishments is "cueva") are 100% ILLEGAL yet are allowed to exist and operate (like so many other things in Argentina). The "bond" linked rate you refer to is the "contado con liquidacion" which means you buy bonds in Argentina in pesos that can be cashed in for dollars in the US. The "blue" rate available at cuevas is what you need to reference in terms of what you can get by walking into one of these places with USD cash. This website is a good reference for the current price of the various exchange rates.

http://dolarblue.netThanks very much.

Are these cuevas basically guy on street / back of t-shirt shop informal or are there ones that look like standard exchange houses? (e. G. Walk in secured location similar to a cambio Metropolis)

Been reading up more on Xoom and apparently if extra info / verification is provided can get $6k in 30 days transferred so will be looking into that option as a secondary source in addition to bringing US dollars.

SnakeOilSales
08-05-12, 22:00
Thanks very much.

Are these cuevas basically guy on street / back of t-shirt shop informal or are there ones that look like standard exchange houses? (e. G. Walk in secured location similar to a cambio Metropolis)

Been reading up more on Xoom and apparently if extra info / verification is provided can get $6k in 30 days transferred so will be looking into that option as a secondary source in addition to bringing US dollars.They are secured locations in that you will have to be buzzed in and then will either do the transaction at a bank-like window, or, if the amount permits, buzzed though an additional door and do the transaction in a back room where they have counting machines, etc. The place will have a name in English such as Exchange and Jewelry, Exchange and Antiques, etc etc.

TejanoLibre
08-05-12, 22:25
Thanks very much.

Been reading up more on Xoom and apparently if extra info / verification is provided can get $6k in 30 days transferred so will be looking into that option as a secondary source in addition to bringing US dollars.I use an Asian grocery store near 517 Esmeralda.

The Cambio places are paying $4. 57 to 1 if that's good enough for you.

The Asian woman is between $5. 20 and $5. 50.

Yes, she has her Carnival Barkers on Lavalle near the rip-off exchange shops.

Just grab your cash and go straight home!

TL.

No I. D required and no minimums!

Mpexy
08-06-12, 06:13
I use an Asian grocery store near 517 Esmeralda.

The Cambio places are paying $4. 57 to 1 if that's good enough for you.

The Asian woman is between $5. 20 and $5. 50.

Yes, she has her Carnival Barkers on Lavalle near the rip-off exchange shops.

Just grab your cash and go straight home!

TL.

No I. D required and no minimums!5. 2 to 5. 5? That low?

Thought the unofficial exchangers were fairly close to the blue rate? (e. G. Close to 6 or higher)

If true then seems like Xoom 6. 1 current rate far surpasses even USD cash exchange at a cueva

SunSeeker
08-06-12, 09:27
5. 2 to 5. 5? That low?

Thought the unofficial exchangers were fairly close to the blue rate? (e. G. Close to 6 or higher)

If true then seems like Xoom 6. 1 current rate far surpasses even USD cash exchange at a cueva25/26 July it was posted the "cueva" in Cervino why Scalabrini exchanged at 6. 1. With xoom now at 6. 11 the cueva is probably around 5. 9-6 area. It has a locked front door, you get buzzed in, and the guy doing the exchange is behind glass.

El Perro
08-06-12, 13:16
25/26 July it was posted the "cueva" in Cervino why Scalabrini exchanged at 6. 1. With xoom now at 6. 11 the cueva is probably around 5. 9-6 area. It has a locked front door, you get buzzed in, and the guy doing the exchange is behind glass.6. 25 as I type this. I would expect 6 at a cueva, and wouldn't accept much less than that.

Member #1164
08-06-12, 14:00
If you need to buy pesos let me know I will take your dollars and give you my pesos 6 pesos per 1 of your dollars pm me.

Wild Walleye
08-06-12, 15:48
I am curious about how Xoom does it. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. By doing "it" I mean, who do they get all those cheap pesos? I am guessing that they are using off-setting forward-forward swaps, but I am not sure. Even with F-F swaps, I am thinking that they are playing the continued devaluation, with some degree of un-hedged risk. There needs to be a 'gap' or significant leverage to get the discount that is baked into their numbers. I know that they can go into the spot market and get those rates. If they could, every hedge fund in the world would be taking advantage of the arbitrage opportunity. There is no such thing as a risk-less arbitrage. If such an opportunity (anomaly) begins to present itself, money chases it and makes it disappear. If it seems like such an opportunity is present, there is something unseen that is causing the alleged mis-pricing. That 'something' is usually risk.

That said, I am all over xoom or hooking up a senior member (regardless of political orientation) with greenbacks, for my upcoming trip.

Brad Pito
08-07-12, 03:06
I am curious about how Xoom does it. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. By doing "it" I mean, who do they get all those cheap pesos? I am guessing that they are using off-setting forward-forward swaps, but I am not sure. Even with F-F swaps, I am thinking that they are playing the continued devaluation, with some degree of un-hedged risk. There needs to be a 'gap' or significant leverage to get the discount that is baked into their numbers. I know that they can go into the spot market and get those rates. If they could, every hedge fund in the world would be taking advantage of the arbitrage opportunity. There is no such thing as a risk-less arbitrage. If such an opportunity (anomaly) begins to present itself, money chases it and makes it disappear. If it seems like such an opportunity is present, there is something unseen that is causing the alleged mis-pricing. That 'something' is usually risk.

That said, I am all over xoom or hooking up a senior member (regardless of political orientation) with greenbacks, for my upcoming trip.I wonder what will happen with xoom once they have their IPO in the US in the fall, you will be able to see their financial statements so less funny business will occur.

Mpexy
08-07-12, 04:24
Some additional Xoom info. Please note this is what I was merely TOLD, I will confirm actual experience once I arrive in Argentina end of week.

Called Xoom customer service number to confirm what they have on their site and ask additional questions. Their site states that:

Sending limit by default is:

$2999 per 30 day period.

$9999 per 180 day period.

Time is measured from date of first transaction sent. 31 days after, the first limit is reset. 181 days after, the second limit is reset. Their site also stated that you could get bumped up to the next pre-set limit tier automatically "by supplying additional information".

$6000 per 30 day period.

$19500 per 180 day period.

I asked if I could pre-verify or get started now before I left the states, to make use of my time before I arrived in Argentina. The agent told me there was no way to pre-verify, but I could send a transaction now so that it would likely be waiting for me by the time I arrived end of this week. She stated pickup could be made (15) days after date of arrival at cash pickup office, and if needed, could contact them to hold the pickup their for another (15) days before it auto-refunded for lack of pickup.

I inquired about potential delays to first transactions and she told me there was no built in "first transaction" delay. Could be be. S. And will report what I experience in reality but what she told me was that:

A) 98% of all transactions, including first send transactions, are delivered within a day. Stated that Xoom fronts the funds based on detecting bank transfer in process, not waiting till actual full transfer process complete.

Be) 2% of all transactions are randomly selected for audit. Closer scrutiny of the sender, info, and wait until actual full bank transfer is complete. Given most banks take 3 days to fully complete direct debit transfers, she said this was why for a few percent of unlucky people would take more than a day. Again, no idea whether this is just customer service be. S. Or real. Will have to relay my experience when done.

Re: upgrading to next limit level. She stated the upgrade from default to next level tier above happened automatically as follows:

1. After 1 or more transactions, at whatever point the transaction you are trying to send at that moment exceeds your $2999 within 30 day limit, she said their website would automatically ask you for some additional info. Specifically occupation and driver license.

2. She stated sometimes their system would reject the DL entered, and if so, to just enter social security number instead.

3. Said that their system would auto verify this information. I assume like auto insurance companies, they must tie into the DMV systems to verify legit DL and matching name against your bank name / info. Not sure why even include occupation since I don't know of a way that can easily be auto verified without a deep background check.

4. Did not say and forgot to ask how long for this getting verified to next limit level transaction would take. But after that one goes through, then you're at the $6k per 30 day, $19, 500 per 180 day limits automatically.

5. I asked a bit regarding their custom limit above these two standard defaults. She said it had to be handled case by case basis by their "compliance" team. There is a separate number on their website to call and go through that and for now have put that aside, will cross that bridge later. If it was $19, 500 per 90 days would be lot better than every 180 days.

TejanoLibre
08-07-12, 06:02
5. 2 to 5. 5? That low?

If true then seems like Xoom 6. 1 current rate far surpasses even USD cash exchange at a cuevaMy mistake!

It is 6. 2 to 6. 5 to 1.

I should stick to chicas instead of finance!

I have used this Asian woman many, many times!

Asians are NOTORIOUS for being excellent business minded individuals!

Thanks for your help!

TL

Mpexy
08-08-12, 18:06
Anyone know if the Xoom cash pickup location in Bs. As on Libertad 1057 (More. Casa Central) is open on Saturdays?

Daddy Rulz
08-08-12, 18:59
No but I'm only 2 blocks away, I'll check and post their hours.

Anyone know if the Xoom cash pickup location in Bs. As on Libertad 1057 (More. Casa Central) is open on Saturdays?

El Perro
08-08-12, 20:05
Got 6 today at the Cervino / Scalabrini cueva.

SunSeeker
08-08-12, 23:23
Got 6 today at the Cervino / Scalabrini cueva.Looking at xoom it is good you cashed some today. Xoom is at 6. 02 right now, down from 6. 11

MikeT
08-09-12, 06:35
If you need to buy pesos let me know I will take your dollars and give you my pesos 6 pesos per 1 of your dollars pm me.I will be in BA in about a month and will need to change some USD for pesos (1000-2000 USD) what do you recommend?

Daddy Rulz
08-09-12, 19:19
They are open 9-6 Monday through Friday.

No but I'm only 2 blocks away, I'll check and post their hours.

DavieW
08-09-12, 20:40
Got 6 today at the Cervino / Scalabrini cueva.I'd have given you 6. 10 yesterday!

Damman
08-10-12, 15:18
http://www.cronista.com/finanzasmercados/Los-bancos-preven-que-la-emision-del-Central-acercara-al-dolar-blue-a-los--7-20120810-0051.html

Mpexy
08-10-12, 17:04
After creating new account on Xoom, sent myself a transfer from my US bank to be picked up at cash location in Argentina. Sent before leaving from states. Did this because thought may take longer for first transfer so might as well send before I leave and make use of travel time.

But good news so far is placed order last night and barely 15 min later got confirmed process email with transaction code to allow cash pickup

Hope transfers initiated from Argentina go just as fast.

Mpexy
08-10-12, 17:10
They are open 9-6 Monday through Friday.Thanks DR.

Too bad not open on sat, arriving in morning this sat and my Xoom transfer is already available for pickup.

Daddy Rulz
08-10-12, 18:12
Thanks DR.

Too bad not open on sat, arriving in morning this sat and my Xoom transfer is already available for pickup.Man I couldn't even begin to tell you where to get pesos on Saturday. PM gato hunter, I think his place is open Saturdays. Have you ever been to the Colmegna Spa? Best place EVER to get in shape after that long flight. Don't pay the extra for VIP if you go, the only advantage to that is an expensive hand job from a middle aged woman in a short neglige. Though the locker room is quite nice.

Mpexy
08-10-12, 20:33
Man I couldn't even begin to tell you where to get pesos on Saturday. PM gato hunter, I think his place is open Saturdays. Have you ever been to the Colmegna Spa? Best place EVER to get in shape after that long flight. Don't pay the extra for VIP if you go, the only advantage to that is an expensive hand job from a middle aged woman in a short neglige. Though the locker room is quite nice.Worst case I can use an ATM. But are there not regular currency exchange places open on Saturdays?

Daddy Rulz
08-10-12, 21:01
Worst case I can use an ATM. But are there not regular currency exchange places open on Saturdays?Honestly hoss it's been so long since I went to one I couldn't say for sure

El Perro
08-10-12, 21:15
Worst case I can use an ATM. But are there not regular currency exchange places open on Saturdays?The cueva at the intersection of Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz is open on Saturdays. I don't remember the hours, but noon, or a bit earlier, ought to put you close to the middle of when they're open.

Check Dickhead's post earlier in this thread for directions.

Suerte!

Member #3320
08-10-12, 23:49
Did a xoom transfer for the first time ever.

Works superbly.

Good a good exchange of 5. 90 all inclusive (xoom charges etc).

I think its the best bet for expats from US. Even better than cuevas etc.

Especially if you arrive with 10k $. This is a good way to top up every now and then.

Once every few months, get another 10k$ from abroad.

Tres3
08-11-12, 14:18
I completed a test transfer of USD $200 using the XOOM service. I was sufficiently satisfied that I transferred another USD $500. Here is the 411 on my transfer-by the numbers.

I got 5. 6238 pesos to 1 USD. After you apply the xoom service charge, that works out to about 5. 46 pesos to 1 USD.

1. The web address is.

www.xoom.com.

2. You must have a USA bank account or credit / debit card. (I used a debit card for the test transfer and a bank account for the second transfer) If you do not have a USA bank account or credit card, you need a TRUSTED friend with one.

3. You can pick up the cash at any MORE Money Transfers or Banco Frances location. The MORE locations are akin to Western Union, and I prefer them. You are in and out very quickly. I am told that some Banco Frances locations require an account. You can also have the money transferred to a bank account.

4. The xoom service charge is variable. It goes up with the amount transferred, so there is only the convenience advantage of transferring a large amount.

5. I had no trouble with the authorities. I do not know whether they make random investigations or if their investigations are based on the size of the transfer.

6. Some credit cards have their own fees which can be quite onerous. For example, I carry one card that has no annual fee, but has a currency conversion fee, a cash advance fee, a "foreign" transaction fee, and starts charging interest as soon as a cash transfer is made. I used a debit / ATM card issued by my bank, that is also a Mastercard. For the second transfer I went directly to my bank account because the xoom service charge is lower for a bank account transfer vice a credit / debit card.

7. You have to have TWO different email addresses in order to send money to yourself. Xoom asks for two email addresses (one for the sender and a different one for the receiver) , and they cannot be the same. I use AOL, so this was not a problem. I am pretty sure that hotmail, yahoo, and gmail all accommodate multiple email addresses.

8. You must have an Argentina address and telephone number. I used the apartment I am renting, and it worked just fine. I am sure that you can use a hotel with no problem.

9. I gave the person behind the CAJA window at MORE a slip of paper with the transaction number, the amount of pesos I was expecting and my USA passport. He counted the money and I was out of there. I used the MORE on Libertad in Retiro.

10. The xoom online form has a space for a coupon code, but they also say that they do not accept coupons. I could not find a code that worked and paid the service charge.

Tres3The above step by step instructions for Argentine Pesos via XOOM was posted in June. Enjoy!

Tres3

Mpexy
08-13-12, 15:47
To recap. Before I left the states, sent myself a $300 test transfer, signed up zoom account and sent first transaction on thur evening. Rate at that time was about 6. 1 pesos to dollar. To my pleasant surprise, transfer complete and transaction confirmation email sent to me (as sender and receiver) in just 2-3 minutes.

Arrived sat evening so today was first chance to pickup at More location on Libertador.

Couple observations, one contradicting what someone posted here about sending to yourself:

1. I did NOT have to provide two different email addresses to send cash to myself. My account setup as well as receiving party email was same and had no problems.

2. When entering the More location, take a number. I saw 5-6 pp, sitting down and wondered what that was about. Guy entered and took a number before I realized had to queue up.

3. Took longer sitting around waiting for my turn than the actual pickup. I could hear couple of the people being asked bank name and other questions. Seems like took 5-10 min per person and only had 2 cashiers working.

4. I handed my passport and slip of paper with my name, Xoom transaction number and amount I transferred in dollars. Clerk handed me form with two identical receipt to sign and enter passport number, then did some busy work for 2-3 min and started counting cash. Handed me another form to sign, then returned my passport, receipt and handed over the pesos.

Pretty efficient and painless. The waiting to get your turn is pretty much the biggest hassle.

I'll update again once I've gone over the initial $3k per 30 day limit to see how hassle free or not that is

Mpexy
08-13-12, 16:05
Thanks goes out to Doggboy and all the other members who pointed me to and posted location help re this place.

Went today and got 6:1 which is better than current Xoom. Even with longer taxi ride out to this vs Xoom location. I'll use both going forward.

Location help:

1. Only thing I'd add is describe the location bit more exactly. Original location description was spot on and no complaints but figure for the next new guy would make it bit easier:

-this cueva is on the street of Scalabrini Ortiz, right near the corner of Cervino (about a 23 peso cab ride from Recoletta tourist area)

-Scalabrini Ortiz is the larger street, Cervino is narrow side street.

-depending which way your cab drove, get out at this corner and look for the Freddo ice cream store. Don't really need the store to orient if you can find the small Scalabrini Ortiz sign on one of the corners but when I was first dropped off I didn't know which street was Scalabrini, which was Cervino.

-if you are looking at the Freddo from across the street, which is Scalabrini Ortiz, cross the narrow side street Cervino and pass the Freddo ice cream store on your right.

-first glass door on your right, literally 5-6 feet past the Freddo place, is the frosted white with green stripe door letting you enter this cueva.

-green awning as posted by other member, but didn't see a dollar / euro sign anywhere. Plastered all over one section of the glass window though was pictures of a ton of world currency bills.

- I buzzed to be let in and 6-7 sec later the door buzzed open.

Observations:

-not a dank, dark cave at all. Basically like a shop store but with just a few plastic chairs and water cooler as you enter. There's no mysterious long corridors and back room feel, you enter, you see the cashier window soon as you walk in, and chairs to sit are on your right.

-came around noon, an elderly lady was already at the cashier window and while I waited another person got buzzed in. Walking a beat right outside across the street was a police officer in orange vest.

-asked the cashier how many pesos for dollar today and he said 6, so said ok I have $X dollars to exchange. Took just a couple min to count out and exchange.

Seismo
08-13-12, 16:36
The address is Scalabrini Ortiz 3205.

Things are easier for everyone if you use the street address.

In Nicaragua they use landmarks instead of physical street names, possibly in part because of illiteracy.

¨its 90 meters from the cinema 6 ¨

Unfortunately the cine 6 got flattened in the earthquake of 1979, but everyone in downtown Managua knows where it was.

Dickhead
08-13-12, 16:43
-asked the cashier how many pesos for dollar today and he said 6, so said ok I have $X dollars to exchange.You should do this the other way around: "What rate can you give me if I exchange X dollars?" Often, although not always, the more you are exchanging the better the rate will be. I know this to be true in the case of this particular cueva.

Sure beats waiting in line at Paris Cambio and having to show your passport every fucking time.

Member #3320
08-13-12, 17:43
As soon as I read your last report. 1 hour ago. I dashed to the cueva (Scalarabini Ortiz why Cervino) to change the money.

Though they gave me a rate of only 6. 0 and NOT 6. 1.

Did I miss out a trick or two.

Thanks

Mpexy
08-13-12, 19:48
You should do this the other way around: "What rate can you give me if I exchange X dollars?" Often, although not always, the more you are exchanging the better the rate will be. I know this to be true in the case of this particular cueva.

Sure beats waiting in line at Paris Cambio and having to show your passport every fucking time.Thanks for the tip. I'll try this next time.

Mpexy
08-13-12, 19:53
As soon as I read your last report. 1 hour ago. I dashed to the cueva (Scalarabini Ortiz why Cervino) to change the money.

Though they gave me a rate of only 6. 0 and NOT 6. 1.

Did I miss out a trick or two.

ThanksI got 6:1 too. You might have confused my other post right below the Scalabrini cueva one which was my Xoom transfer.

Picked up my Xoom transfer which when I sent it last thur night was 6. 1 to 1

At Scalabrini cueva I got 6. 0 to 1, which based on current Xoom of like 5. 9x is better since effective Xoom rate after transfer fees is like 5. 7x

Madu666
08-13-12, 20:14
Anyone know an exchangerate for euros at a cuevo?

Mpexy
08-16-12, 16:04
So my glow around ease of using Xoom to transfer dollars to pesos at reasonable rates hit a snag today.

First xfer went through in minutes. Sent another today. Far under any limit rules. And got an email saying they needed additional verification info. Government photo I'd and bank or utility statement with current address displayed

Somewhat of a hassle if I was at home in my home office to easily scan copy and fax these in. Lot more of a hassle once you're abroad and don't easily have access to send these in.

I ended up using my iPhone to take a pic of my identity docs, and a PDF download from my bank of recent statement and sent that in via email (verification email had option to reply via email with docs attached or fax to their number)

Think these is maybe where the week+ delay people talked about may come in. Sent in early morning today and will update after however long it takes to complete

El Perro
08-16-12, 17:22
So my glow around ease of using Xoom to transfer dollars to pesos at reasonable rates hit a snag today.

First xfer went through in minutes. Sent another today. Far under any limit rules. And got an email saying they needed additional verification info. Government photo I'd and bank or utility statement with current address displayed

Somewhat of a hassle if I was at home in my home office to easily scan copy and fax these in. Lot more of a hassle once you're abroad and don't easily have access to send these in.

I ended up using my iPhone to take a pic of my identity docs, and a PDF download from my bank of recent statement and sent that in via email (verification email had option to reply via email with docs attached or fax to their number)

Think these is maybe where the week+ delay people talked about may come in. Sent in early morning today and will update after however long it takes to completeMpexy-thanks for the Xoom update. Your experience seems to be pretty much par for the course, at least from what I've read on local expat forums. I've not used Xoom, but its only a matter of time.

Buckinup
08-17-12, 00:08
I just used it. After I did the transfer I got an e-mail that originated from Xoom's Argentina partner wanting a local phone number. I replied to that saying I didn't have a local number yet, only the US one. Must have satisfied them, because all went well after that.

Mpexy-thanks for the Xoom update. Your experience seems to be pretty much par for the course, at least from what I've read on local expat forums. I've not used Xoom, but its only a matter of time.

Mpexy
08-17-12, 15:47

Think these is maybe where the week+ delay people talked about may come in. Sent in early morning today and will update after however long it takes to completeSo good news, at least this time, is after I sent in my verification docs described above, I got an email back around end of day saying that step was done and the hold on my transaction removed. Few min after that, got the standard email saying my transaction ready for cash pickup.

Call it about 1 day delay to submit, process, and have this step completed. Hoping that is it and now all other transactions go smooth. Although the interesting next milestone will be when I test the going over $2999 over 30-day period

Mpexy
08-21-12, 13:02
Interesting. This time, my third transaction and after doing all the verification docs I wrote about earlier, had the More Casa guy ask me different questions and he filled out a long one sheet paperwork for me by asking questions while he wrote, then had me sign in.

Either is because 3 transaction in just over week, or because of amount. Previously did $300 and $700 xfers, this time tried $1k. Or whatever random reason, the guy asked me beyond the usual are you tourist or live here, to which always said tourist.

Today he asked me how long I was staying as tourist and I told him 90 days, then had me answer questions for his form:

-am I single or married.

-occupation.

-local Argentina phone number.

Didn't take too long. Maybe an extra 8-9 min as he filled that out and made a call. After that was the normal process and count of pesos.

Wonder if they get more strict if you say you live here vs tourist, or whether More has different limits than Xoom. Either way so far so good but kind of curious what More Casa will do as I try larger xfers

Dccpa
08-21-12, 16:29
I am curious as to whether anyone has tried to or knows the market for selling gold coins in BA? Xoom seems to be a great method and friends in AU vouch for it. But for someone like me who believes the USD is headed downward, gold is a preferred place to keep my money.

Silver Star
08-21-12, 16:49
I am curious as to whether anyone has tried to or knows the market for selling gold coins in BA? Xoom seems to be a great method and friends in AU vouch for it. But for someone like me who believes the USD is headed downward, gold is a preferred place to keep my money.You can get gold coins, etc down here but the spread is pretty wide. Have you checked out www.goldmoney.com?

Dccpa
08-21-12, 19:17
You can get gold coins, etc down here but the spread is pretty wide. Have you checked out.

www.goldmoney.com

?I was referring to selling gold coins in BS as a way of avoiding money transfers or dealing in USD currency. But if the spread is wide in BA, then my idea probably wouldn't work. For buying 1oz gold eagles in the US, Goldmart. Com is the best place that I have found. Unless you are fairly wealthy, goldmoney has too many fees.

Muktar
08-21-12, 20:14
Since it was closed for Sunday and yesterdays Feria, today it was somewhat crowded but Scalabrini exchange was 6.1.

M

Gbartoli
08-21-12, 22:46
After a session, we got on the subject of exchanging currency, I was complaining about the three day weekend: I was looking forward to a cashless Monday night unless I was willing to submit to an ATM ass-f. She says "I'll buy your dollars." I explained about Xoom and the cuevas (I got the impression she was new to everything, I had to explain what a cuevo is). I quoted the current rates and said I couldn't take anything less than 6. 0. She said "ok."

Gandolf50
08-22-12, 06:06
After a session, we got on the subject of exchanging currency, I was complaining about the three day weekend: I was looking forward to a cashless Monday night unless I was willing to submit to an ATM ass-f. She says "I'll buy your dollars." I explained about Xoom and the cuevas (I got the impression she was new to everything, I had to explain what a cuevo is). I quoted the current rates and said I couldn't take anything less than 6. 0. She said "ok."A lot of chicas who send money home are paying as much as 7. 50 pesos for each dollar at the destination point. I sell to two chicas I know for 6. 50 and a discount on their services.

TheRaven
08-22-12, 14:03
I got 6:1 too. You might have confused my other post right below the Scalabrini cueva one which was my Xoom transfer.

Picked up my Xoom transfer which when I sent it last thur night was 6. 1 to 1

At Scalabrini cueva I got 6. 0 to 1, which based on current Xoom of like 5. 9x is better since effective Xoom rate after transfer fees is like 5. 7xSo let me get this straight. If I go through Xoom I will get a rate of 6. 1:1. If I just go to Scalabrini cueva with USD in hand they will exchange at a rate of 6. 0:1 and I don't have to pay the Xoom fees?

Mpexy
08-22-12, 15:24
So let me get this straight. If I go through Xoom I will get a rate of 6. 1:1. If I just go to Scalabrini cueva with USD in hand they will exchange at a rate of 6. 0:1 and I don't have to pay the Xoom fees?Yes on the concept, no to the specific number because those change all the time. You have to compare what rates each are giving at the time and adjust each based on whatever expenses you incur to use each.

Example. Right now this moment, today, Xoom would be just over 6. 1 to 1 pesos, but as noted you pay a small xfer fee. You get slightly better deal the more you xfer but say you did $500 USD today. Bank xfer fee which is lowest would be $15. 75. That means the actual EFFECTIVE rate after fees is more like 5. 93 to 1.

Now compare that to the queue on Scalabrini. Didn't go today but last I went was 6:1, and recent poster below says 6. 1 to 1.

With round trip taxi bit more to the cueva than Xoom pickup store, the effective cueva rate if it was 6:1 comes out for me to 5. 95 to 1.

Basically for me the cueva can offer about 0. 1 less exchange and its about same deal as Xoom. If cueva offers bit more, than its always better deal because of Xoom xfer fee.

Bottom line, both are, pretty much equal in my eyes. I'd bring a ton of cash and use Xoom at same time because as posted there's some delays, hassles, and possible limit cut offs with Xoom. Best to have both good supply of USD while using Xoom in between

TheRaven
08-22-12, 15:34
Yes on the concept, no to the specific number because those change all the time. You have to compare what rates each are giving at the time and adjust each based on whatever expenses you incur to use each.

Example. Right now this moment, today, Xoom would be just over 6. 1 to 1 pesos, but as noted you pay a small xfer fee. You get slightly better deal the more you xfer but say you did $500 USD today. Bank xfer fee which is lowest would be $15. 75. That means the actual EFFECTIVE rate after fees is more like 5. 93 to 1.

Now compare that to the queue on Scalabrini. Didn't go today but last I went was 6:1, and recent poster below says 6. 1 to 1.

With round trip taxi bit more to the cueva than Xoom pickup store, the effective cueva rate if it was 6:1 comes out for me to 5. 95 to 1.

Basically for me the cueva can offer about 0. 1 less exchange and its about same deal as Xoom. If cueva offers bit more, than its always better deal because of Xoom xfer fee.

Bottom line, both are, pretty much equal in my eyes. I'd bring a ton of cash and use Xoom at same time because as posted there's some delays, hassles, and possible limit cut offs with Xoom. Best to have both good supply of USD while using Xoom in betweenThanks for the good advice.

Jim Mac
08-22-12, 19:24
Do board members have experience offering US cash in restaurants in BA? If you are out for dinner and the bill arrives in pesos, can you offer to pay in US$ cash and get a good rate, close to a cueva rate?

Gandolf50
08-22-12, 19:49
Do board members have experience offering US cash in restaurants in BA? If you are out for dinner and the bill arrives in pesos, can you offer to pay in US$ cash and get a good rate, close to a cueva rate?A lot of places have a small sign or card, sometimes in the menu or next to the cash register with what they will exchange dollars for. Most times it is not what you can get on the street.

Gato Hunter
08-23-12, 00:44
Never use dollars for anything, get pesos at blue rate and that's it. Businesses can get shut down if they take dollars not on the normal rate is what I have been. Told AFIP is a bad word in BA, worse than IRS

AllIWantIsLove
08-23-12, 01:05
A more important question: What about the girls? Will they take US dollars at a favorable rate?

Never use dollars for anything, get pesos at blue rate and that's it. Businesses can get shut down if they take dollars not on the normal rate is what I have been. Told AFIP is a bad word in BA, worse than IRS

Gato Hunter
08-23-12, 01:06
Most girls do NOT know about blue dollars and don't fucking tell them either or we will have pussy inflation!

Daddy Rulz
08-23-12, 01:16
Never, EVER deal in dollars with the chicas. Ever, ever, ever, ever. Unless you're selling them a computer or something. Their conchitas are in Argentina not La tierra de las Gordas. Pay what you pay but pay it in pesos. Another note, a girl that talks in dollars will probably be dead pussy. Didn't mean to go off like that but Gato Hunter is right, this will lead to serious inflation and we will loose the advantage of the blue market rate.

A more important question: What about the girls? Will they take US dollars at a favorable rate?

Mpexy
08-23-12, 10:33
A more important question: What about the girls? Will they take US dollars at a favorable rate?I'd just go by the dollar-english distance rules, closer you are to a chica quoting either, the more odds she'll be dead fish, bad xp, etc regardless of actual cost amounts involved.

1. Pay whatever you want, screw the price police, just negotiate and pay in pesos. Merely talking in dollars seems to make most chicas that do a bad xp, even if the dollar amount is lot lower than what you'd willingly pay in pesos.

2. She speaks english, move on. Use hand gestures and cards with pictures if you have to, chicas that speak English seems general rule of thumb to be crazies or bad xp

El Perro
08-23-12, 11:44
Up to 6. 40 this morning.

http://dolarblue.net/

Tres3
08-23-12, 12:01
Never, EVER deal in dollars with the chicas. Ever, ever, ever, ever. Unless you're selling them a computer or something. Their conchitas are in Argentina not La tierra de las Gordas. Pay what you pay but pay it in pesos. Another note, a girl that talks in dollars will probably be dead pussy. Didn't mean to go off like that but Gato Hunter is right, this will lead to serious inflation and we will loose the advantage of the blue market rate.I second, third, fourth etc. Etc. The posts that say NEVER use dollars. The only time to use dollars is if there is an extreme emergency, and you cannot get to an ATM, currency exchange, use a credit card, or get a XOOM transfer. It is better to bite the bullet and take a small, short term hit until you can get pesos, than to pay in dollars. It is OK to accept dollars, especially if the exchange rate is right, but never pay in dollars. How much you pay is your business, as long as you do not pay in dollars.

Tres3

El Perro
08-23-12, 12:04
Back of the Western union place at Florida why lavalle, ot 6. 2 for 200$ tonight all the way in the back on the right side there is a door go through money booth behind!Is anyone else using this cueva? I recently relocated to San Telmo and I'm looking for a new exchange place. I'd rather not make the trek to Scalabrini and Cervino if I can help it.

TejanoLibre
08-23-12, 19:00
Is anyone else using this cueva? I recently relocated to San Telmo and I'm looking for a new exchange place. I'd rather not make the trek to Scalabrini and Cervino if I can help it.Corner of Lavalle and Florida in the Travel Agency, underground at the bottom of the stairs if you use the Florida entrance.

Accross from the Sex Shop.

Minimum 6. 1 to 1. Depends.

Bright, safe, been using him for small amounts and extra large amounts.

Just walk right in and ask for Cambio.

The Travel Agents look bored.

TL

DavieW
08-24-12, 12:42
Is anyone else using this cueva? I recently relocated to San Telmo and I'm looking for a new exchange place. I'd rather not make the trek to Scalabrini and Cervino if I can help it.I'm close to you, in Monserrat, and use a place on San Martin, close to Plaza de Mayo that gives a consistently higher rate than anything I've ever seen quoted on here. I don't think you can just 'drop in' though. I got 'introduced' and have my salary imported and then changed every month. If you want to change on a regular monthly basis I can 'introduce' you.

DavieW
08-24-12, 12:45
Just called my contact there and she said I could introduce you, even if it's for a one-off. 6.31 today.

El Perro
08-24-12, 13:09
Just called my contact there and she said I could introduce you, even if it's for a one-off. 6.31 today.Check your PMs.

AllIWantIsLove
08-25-12, 02:31
But I didn't mean TALKING in dollars. Let's say I negotiate a price of 450 pesos and then ask the girl if she will take $70 (US) - assuming a 6 to 1 exchange rate. If she says OK that's good for me. If she comes back with $100 (US) I tell her that the choice is between 450 pesos and $70 (US). Or rather among 450 pesos, $70 (US) and the door! Would that be such a dumb thing to do?

Bob.

Never, EVER deal in dollars with the chicas. Ever, ever, ever, ever. Unless you're selling them a computer or something. Their conchitas are in Argentina not La tierra de las Gordas. Pay what you pay but pay it in pesos. Another note, a girl that talks in dollars will probably be dead pussy. Didn't mean to go off like that but Gato Hunter is right, this will lead to serious inflation and we will loose the advantage of the blue market rate.

Stranger
08-25-12, 03:06
But I didn't mean TALKING in dollars. Let's say I negotiate a price of 450 pesos and then ask the girl if she will take $70 (US). Assuming a 6 to 1 exchange rate. If she says OK that's good for me. If she comes back with $100 (US) I tell her that the choice is between 450 pesos and $70 (US). Or rather among 450 pesos, $70 (US) and the door! Would that be such a dumb thing to do?

Bob.Short answer; YES! Jeje.

Stranger

Daddy Rulz
08-25-12, 10:53
But I didn't mean TALKING in dollars. Let's say I negotiate a price of 450 pesos and then ask the girl if she will take $70 (US). Assuming a 6 to 1 exchange rate. If she says OK that's good for me. If she comes back with $100 (US) I tell her that the choice is between 450 pesos and $70 (US). Or rather among 450 pesos, $70 (US) and the door! Would that be such a dumb thing to do?

Bob.Because now you have her thinking in dollars instead of pesos. So the 450 fuck, just turned into 600 because you are thinking 6-1 when the official rate is 4. 5-1 or whatever it is. You work your deals to get pesos as best you can then you buy Argentine pussy, in Argentina, with the money of Argentina. There used to be a thread called "chica rules" and one of the rules was "a chica will price a session at the highest amount she has ever heard that anybody ever got paid" once she's thinking 600 instead of 450 that becomes her price.

Do as you wish, you asked a question here and some pretty serious players weighed in, you may either accept the advice of people with far greater experience or not, do as you see fit.

Mpexy
08-27-12, 17:38
So did my 4th and final pre-going-over-standard-limit transfer today. Sent myself $950 to make my 30-day period total $2950. Just under the $2999 limit before further Xoom side verification stuff supposedly occurs (will report on that when I try that later in week)

For this one, I thought would be smooth sailing given my prior reports (already sent in extra verification docs to Xoom, including passport photo, DL photo, and bank statement confirming US address. Plus the More Casa requested form filled out with my name, occupation etc last time I picked up cash)

However, this time the cashier lady had me fill out form again. Last time guy filled out for me but looks like same form. But this time she asked for additional info the guy who filled out for me last time didn't.

Form wanted my name and address in states, and same for here in Argentina. Marital staus, some other misc junk. But on top of occupation title the cashier had me also fill in company name and web page. No idea what would have happened if I said my company didn't have a web URL but she was very insistent and had me fill it out twice on both top and bottom end of form.

Basically with that plus phone call she made, added about 25 min. The last 5 min was the usual double recipt sign and count out of money. I asked her if I had to do this each time because already filled out form last time and she said yes each time. So not giving up on Xoom given other ways to get dollars in are even more hassle but I'm just preparing myself for a 30-60min session each time now given line of people ahead of me

Tres3
08-27-12, 17:53
So did my 4th and final pre-going-over-standard-limit transfer today. Sent myself $950 to make my 30-day period total $2950. Just under the $2999 limit before further Xoom side verification stuff supposedly occurs (will report on that when I try that later in week)

For this one, I thought would be smooth sailing given my prior reports (already sent in extra verification docs to Xoom, including passport photo, DL photo, and bank statement confirming US address. Plus the More Casa requested form filled out with my name, occupation etc last time I picked up cash)

However, this time the cashier lady had me fill out form again. Last time guy filled out for me but looks like same form. But this time she asked for additional info the guy who filled out for me last time didn't.

Form wanted my name and address in states, and same for here in Argentina. Marital staus, some other misc junk. But on top of occupation title the cashier had me also fill in company name and web page. No idea what would have happened if I said my company didn't have a web URL but she was very insistent and had me fill it out twice on both top and bottom end of form.

Basically with that plus phone call she made, added about 25 min. The last 5 min was the usual double recipt sign and count out of money. I asked her if I had to do this each time because already filled out form last time and she said yes each time. So not giving up on Xoom given other ways to get dollars in are even more hassle but I'm just preparing myself for a 30-60min session each time now given line of people ahead of meI had a similar experience. The woman asked a lot of questions that the guy did not, and generally made a pain in the ass out of herself over the same amount of money. I solved the problem by letting a person go ahead of me and waited for the guy. Sometimes the Argentines can be just as bureaucratic as the Russians. Unless you are real young, I suggest you use "retired" as your occupation.

Tres3

Mpexy
08-27-12, 18:06
Oddly enough, I am effectively retired but young looking enough causes me more problems than its worth even back home if saying that. Middle aged but good genetics. I just told her I run my own company and URL. She didn't even check far as I could see, just more red tape she wanted checked off and double written on the holy form.

I had a similar experience. The woman asked a lot of questions that the guy did not, and generally made a pain in the ass out of herself over the same amount of money. I solved the problem by letting a person go ahead of me and waited for the guy. Sometimes the Argentines can be just as bureaucratic as the Russians. Unless you are real young, I suggest you use "retired" as your occupation.

Tres3

TheRaven
08-29-12, 00:23
Up to 6. 40 this morning.

http://dolarblue.net/Can someone explain this to me? I don't really understand this chart or how to use it. At the time of my post it is saying "Green (Arbolitos)" is exchanging 1 USD for 6. 57 ARS pesos. I think that is what it says. Is Green a bank or exchange place I can go to? Does anyone know where it is? Is this "Green" not for Gringos and I should just go to Cueva or someones contact listed below? If I am staying in Recoletta and my Spanish is not very good, what address can I hand to a cab driver on a piece of paper to go get a good exchange rate. I guess that is what I really want to know.

TejanoLibre
08-29-12, 00:57
Can someone explain this to me? I don't really understand this chart or how to use it. At the time of my post it is saying "Green (Arbolitos)" is exchanging 1 USD for 6. 57 ARS pesos. I think that is what it says. Is Green a bank or exchange place I can go to? Does anyone know where it is? Is this "Green" not for Gringos and I should just go to Cueva or someones contact listed below? If I am staying in Recoletta and my Spanish is not very good, what address can I hand to a cab driver on a piece of paper to go get a good exchange rate. I guess that is what I really want to know.Just call me and we will get real pesos at the real rate, downtown, no problems!

I exchange 20k USD per week!

TL.

4 381 2145

156 116 4254

Lavalle and Florida

Fuck the I. D and Passport and proff of income and limits!

TL

TheRaven
08-29-12, 01:07
Just call me and we will get real pesos at the real rate, downtown, no problems!

I exchange 20k USD per week!

TL.

4 381 2145

156 116 4254

Lavalle and Florida

Fuck the I. D and Passport and proff of income and limits!

TLPerfect. Thanks.

Gato Hunter
08-29-12, 13:15
Can someone explain this to me? I don't really understand this chart or how to use it. At the time of my post it is saying "Green (Arbolitos)" is exchanging 1 USD for 6. 57 ARS pesos. I think that is what it says. Is Green a bank or exchange place I can go to? Does anyone know where it is? Is this "Green" not for Gringos and I should just go to Cueva or someones contact listed below? If I am staying in Recoletta and my Spanish is not very good, what address can I hand to a cab driver on a piece of paper to go get a good exchange rate. I guess that is what I really want to know.Florida why lavalle there is a western union office on the corner, they sell cell phones and other shit enter store walk all the way to the back there is a door on the right side ego in there is a bank teller window there. U don't need TL

Daddy Rulz
08-29-12, 13:52
Can someone explain this to me? I don't really understand this chart or how to use it. At the time of my post it is saying "Green (Arbolitos)" is exchanging 1 USD for 6. 57 ARS pesos. I think that is what it says. Is Green a bank or exchange place I can go to? Does anyone know where it is? Is this "Green" not for Gringos and I should just go to Cueva or someones contact listed below? If I am staying in Recoletta and my Spanish is not very good, what address can I hand to a cab driver on a piece of paper to go get a good exchange rate. I guess that is what I really want to know.You asked to have it explained, here goes.

Tipo de Dolar (literally type of dollar but they mean where are you exchanging.) Compra (sell) Venta (buy)

Blanco=the "official" rate, set I believe by the Banco National most likely made up by somebody in Casa Rosada. All regulated exchange houses and companies like Starbucks, Walmart, ect will use this. This is also the rate you will get from sticking your credit or debit card in any slot anywhere except some girls pussy.

Mayorista= no idea, don't care, not important for our needs.

Blue= what black market non-regulated exchange houses will buy and sell for. Free market cap at it's finest.

The next four don't care, couldn't care less, doesn't effect me today.

Green=this is a new one on me, it refers to "arbolitos" which means little tree in Spanish and it's how they refer to touts because like trees they never move and are always at the same spot. I don't know why this would have a slightly higher rate than blue because I have never seen an arbolito make change, they get a commission from everybody they walk into the black cambio.

Take a couple hundred bucks and walk down Florida and Levalle and when you hear a guy saying cambio, cambio, cambio, cambio walk up to him and ask cuanto cambio dolares (doll-oh-res) he will tell you a number, if you don't understand numbers in Spanish take a note pad and he will write it. Try three (or just go to the western union like GH said) and whichever one gives you the best rate say "Tengo XXX dolares" he will walk you to some nearby storefront pretending to be something else and inside there will be somebody (most likely a woman) that will take your dollars and give you pesos. Do not be shy about examining your pesos, most of them won't give you fake stuff but if you intend to do this on a regular basis, them knowing that YOU know enough to check your money will help to keep them honest. Do NOT be shy about this. Checking your money from a stranger isn't rude and not checking it is idiotic.

I'm not doing anything for the next couple hours and will walk you through it the first time for the same price votes are bought for in the country. Una churipan why una coka.

Dickhead
08-29-12, 14:05
BTW "mayorista" means "wholesaler." There is this little district in Medellín called La Mayorista and it's full of little hooker bars. At first I thought it meant wholesale pussy but actually it is the warehouse district where all the truckers drop off wholesale goods. Hence the name, and hence the hookers. There is another, bigger trucker / warehouse district in southern Spain near Málaga but I can't remember what it's called.

But I digress.

TejanoLibre
08-29-12, 14:21
Florida why lavalle there is a western union office on the corner, they sell cell phones and other shit enter store walk all the way to the back there is a door on the right side ego in there is a bank teller window there. U don't need TLHe obviously needs some help and I do this almost every day.

Personally I don't care where anybody goes, I don't benefit from trivial transactions, all I do is contribute on this board.

Hope You Get Well Soon,

TL

Jackson
08-29-12, 14:45
Green=this is a new one on me, it refers to "arbolitos" which means little tree in Spanish and it's how they refer to touts because like trees they never move and are always at the same spot. I don't know why this would have a slightly higher rate than blue because I have never seen an arbolito make change, they get a commission from everybody they walk into the black cambio."Arbolitos", which as you've noted means "little tree" in Spanish, refers to independent individuals, generally operating on the street corners, who offer currency exchange services.

"Arbolitos" are generally more prevalent in the poorer suburbs of the city, are generally willing to sell smaller amounts of dollars, and generally sell dollars at a slightly higher price than the city cambios.

If you're a typical American 1%'er selling dollars and buying pesos, the higher rate is in your favor.

Of course, if you're a poor person living in the villas selling your increasingly worthless pesos to buy dollars, the higher price for the dollar is not good for you.

Thanks,

Jackson

Daddy Rulz
08-29-12, 14:59
"Arbolitos", which as you've noted means "little tree" in Spanish, refers to independent individuals, generally operating on the street corners, who offer currency exchange services.

"Arbolitos" are generally more prevalent in the poorer suburbs of the city, are generally willing to sell smaller amounts of dollars, and generally sell dollars at a slightly higher price than the city cambios.

If you're a typical American 1%'er selling dollars and buying pesos, the higher rate is in your favor.

Of course, if you're a poor person living in the villas selling your increasingly worthless pesos to buy dollars, the higher price for the dollar is not good for you.

Thanks,

JacksonGot it, interesting, some somebody is sending people to the villas to find out and post cambio rates. Don't know if I'd want to take a couple K's US into 31 to get a little higher rate myself.