PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

DavieW
01-02-13, 21:48
Have you guys found a cueva that gives those rates? If not, how are they relevant?No they haven't. They're not.

Those dollar-blue rate web-sites bear no relation whatsoever to the rate you're going to get on the street. As has been said many times before on this thread.

Mpexy
01-02-13, 21:55
Are you referring to the coin store in Recoleta on Arenales? I got 6.50 from them today with 1K USD.It's the "coin store" in recoleta but not on arenales. On Junin between Vicente Lopez and Las Heras.

Prob same one and you're just thinking arenales. If so, I'd assume they'd fluctuate rates even on same day depending how much supply they have on hand plus what kind of mark they think the customer is.

I was ready to walk. They bumped the intro 6. 3 and offered me max 6. 4 at noon'ish when I was there today. 6.4 was what I wanted so didn't try another raise or walk counter.

Aqualung
01-02-13, 22:00
No they haven't. They're not.

Those dollar-blue rate web-sites bear no relation whatsoever to the rate you're going to get on the street. As has been said many times before on this thread.I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't exchanged today at that rate.

Bold Focker
01-02-13, 22:25
Anybody know what the unofficial rate for the UK £ is?

The official rate is 8.

I have not been to BA now for about 7yrs. How much Cash can you take into the country Legally?

Chezz
01-02-13, 23:16
No they haven't. They're not.

Those dollar-blue rate web-sites bear no relation whatsoever to the rate you're going to get on the street. As has been said many times before on this thread.How do you know whether or not they have? And yes, I have read this thread and understand the difference between the rates posted on some currency-exchange website and what's actually available on the street. But because of the recent volatility, those numbers didn't sound too far-fetched.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't exchanged today at that rate.Aqualung, if you're getting that rate today, my hat's off to you, sir.

Chezz
01-02-13, 23:19
It's the "coin store" in recoleta but not on arenales. On Junin between Vicente Lopez and Las Heras.

Prob same one and you're just thinking arenales. If so, I'd assume they'd fluctuate rates even on same day depending how much supply they have on hand plus what kind of mark they think the customer is.

I was ready to walk. They bumped the intro 6. 3 and offered me max 6. 4 at noon'ish when I was there today. 6.4 was what I wanted so didn't try another raise or walk counter.No, it's a different one. I'm using the cueva on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. I got 6.50 at 1pm.

SnakeOilSales
01-03-13, 00:02
The 6. 89/6. 91 buy / sell rate posted on the site Aqualung mentioned is not what you will get at a "cueva". At black market establishments such as a "cueva" the buy / sell spread is going to have at least a ten basis point difference and probably twenty or thirty basis point difference under most circumstances. I would guess that at today's close the buy / sell rates would be about 6. 50/6. 85 which means if you have dollars and want to buy pesos you would get the former and if you have pesos and need to buy dollars you get the latter.

Aqualung
01-03-13, 00:05
How do you know whether or not they have? And yes, I have read this thread and understand the difference between the rates posted on some currency-exchange website and what's actually available on the street. But because of the recent volatility, those numbers didn't sound too far-fetched.

Aqualung, if you're getting that rate today, my hat's off to you, sir.It depends on who you know. The cuevas or arbolitos are just making a living or a little something extra on the side. I know the traders they sell to and go directly to them. When I have currency (or gold) to sell I usually just leave it with them early and pick up the money at closing time. They always give me the best rate of the day.

Mpexy
01-03-13, 00:16
No, it's a different one. I'm using the cueva on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. I got 6.50 at 1pm.I'll have to try this one next time. Any landmark or helpful markers to spot this one?

CyberDas
01-03-13, 00:49
I didn't get the name of the place, but it is located on the basement level of a shopping center a few shops north of the Florida and Cordoba intersection across from Galerias Pacifico. The touts on the corner will take you there (or you can go on your own) to where two dudes at a kiosko exchange at ongoing parallel rates paying higher for $50 and $100 USD bills. I went there twice and all the Argentine Peso bills I got were good. I checked them at a close-to-corner store 1 block east on San Martin. The lady there has a machine that verifies the bills. You could buy a soda or candy from her.

DavieW
01-03-13, 02:53
Anybody know what the unofficial rate for the UK £ is?

The official rate is 8.

I have not been to BA now for about 7yrs. How much Cash can you take into the country Legally?It's virtually impossible to change UK£ at a decent rate. Nobody wants them.

You can bring in as much cash as you can carry, but if it's USD10, 000 or more you have to declare it and be prepared to prove its provenance.

Gandolf50
01-03-13, 06:38
It's virtually impossible to change UK£ at a decent rate. Nobody wants them.

You can bring in as much cash as you can carry, but if it's USD10, 000 or more you have to declare it and be prepared to prove its provenance.This is true, best to change your pounds to dollars before you leave.

Mpexy
01-03-13, 10:23
You can bring in as much cash as you can carry, but if it's USD10, 000 or more you have to declare it and be prepared to prove its provenance.

For Argentina, there is no rule requiring proving provenance of the cash assets you wish to declare and bring in. All that is required is your declaration form OM 2087. Same for the half dozen euro coutries I've declared in.

The sole criteria for bringing in cash is noted on AFIP English site: http://www.afip.gob.ar/english/touristInformation.asp

Under the section "Negotiable Instruments you may bring into or take out of the country". There are no regs listed for proving your own funds. Maybe there are some drug / money laundering statues that allow for demanding provenance but if so never seen it listed or had it asked.

Aug 2012. Had no issue entering Argentina with declared cash well in excess of $10k+ USD. Other than the somewhat amused shock and awe from the officials that I was actually declaring. The only questions I was asked after submitting my declaration form was what I was going to be spending this money on while in Argentina. I told them cash rental apartment and chicas at boliches. They just laughed and wanted to know which boliches I liked best.

DavieW
01-03-13, 11:08
For Argentina, there is no rule requiring proving provenance of the cash assets you wish to declare and bring in. All that is required is your declaration form OM 2087.When I first arrived here 6 years ago I entered twice with 10k+ and was asked to provide evidence of where it came from. Admittedly they weren't very thorough and were easily satisfied with some un-translated paperwork referring to a property sale.

Daddy Rulz
01-03-13, 11:13
I'll have to try this one next time. Any landmark or helpful markers to spot this one?It's not far from the house, I'll show you next time you need to go.

Daddy Rulz
01-03-13, 11:20
Had no issue entering Argentina with declared cash well in excess of $10k+ USD. Other than the somewhat amused shock and awe from the officials that I was actually declaring. The only questions I was asked after submitting my declaration form was what I was going to be spending this money on while in Argentina. I told them cash rental apartment and chicas at boliches. They just laughed and wanted to know which boliches I liked best.This works at Xoom as well. The last time they called me asking what the money was for I said "whiskey and putas." The guy said "que?" And I said "beer and hookers" in English. When I picked up the money, no problems at all and nobody has ever called me since and I've never had to stand at the window waiting while the person behind the glass called somebody about my money.

Jim Mac
01-03-13, 18:02
No, it's a different one. I'm using the cueva on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. I got 6.50 at 1pm.Just arrived in BA and went to Arenales and got 6.50, changing $500.

Gandolf50
01-03-13, 22:10
$6. 50 to 1 today in Moreno

Red Raider
01-04-13, 00:07
$6. 50 to 1 today in MorenoGot 6. 6 today

Daddy Rulz
01-04-13, 01:02
Is this fast rise going to continue or is it a holiday bump from dollar demand rising due to vacationers needing dollars to take to Uruguay? I seem to remember one like this in July as well during winter vacations.

Gandolf50
01-04-13, 05:49
Is this fast rise going to continue or is it a holiday bump from dollar demand rising due to vacationers needing dollars to take to Uruguay? I seem to remember one like this in July as well during winter vacations.Thats what I'm thinking. Supply and demand. We will see in a couple of weeks as the season draws to a close.

DavieW
01-04-13, 12:29
Even the official rate is up to 4. 9 which is pushing up what we can get on the street.

Jim Mac
01-04-13, 19:07
Got 6. 7 today at the place on Arenales, changing $500. The $500 got me 100 more Pesos than yesterday. Almost enough for a good Bife de Ojo!

Aqualung
01-04-13, 20:34
The traders were paying 7. 02 today so the arbolitos should be paying 6. 7 or 6. 8. No, I didn't do any exchange today at that rate!

Added - the 27th of February should be interesting. Keep you eyes open on that day!

TejanoLibre
01-06-13, 03:30
Got 6. 7 today at the place on Arenales, changing $500. The $500 got me 100 more Pesos than yesterday. Almost enough for a good Bife de Ojo!

Got 6. 7 today on Lavalle without even haggeling, it was only $1000. 00 u$d but the 6. 7 was nice. Must be selling for 7?

Don't know.

The dude on the street makes a commission so they must be paying more than 6. 7 , but how much more?

5s. 10s and 20's paid 6. 5. 50s ad 100s paid 6. 7.

What's next? This guy was an unknown.

TL

DavieW
01-06-13, 07:14
Got 6. 7 today on Lavalle without even haggeling, it was only $1000. 00 you$the but the 6. 7 was nice.

5s. 10s and 20's paid 6. 5.

TLTwo friends of mine on holiday from the UK turned up at my place yesterday and wanted to change some dollars (500). I told them it was a shame they hadn't come on Friday, when I could have taken them to my usual place and got them 6. 95. I explained that the rate always drops a bit at the weekend and that it also wasn't great that they only had $20 bills.

So we just wandered down to Lavalle, where we got 6. 8, without even haggling.

(Remind me to never, EVER do business with TL!)

TejanoLibre
01-06-13, 14:32
Two friends of mine on holiday from the UK turned up at my place yesterday and wanted to change some dollars (500). I told them it was a shame they hadn't come on Friday, when I could have taken them to my usual place and got them 6. 95. I explained that the rate always drops a bit at the weekend and that it also wasn't great that they only had $20 bills.

So we just wandered down to Lavalle, where we got 6. 8, without even haggling.

(Remind me to never, EVER do business with TL!) It was not my money, it was very hot and it was too close to game time so the. 15 cents was not worth chasing to me. Grabbed the first guy on the street. It was a favor for a friend.

Wow! We could have saved $20. 00 dollars!

Thanks,

TL.

So your buddy made $10. 00 dollars, BFD!

DavieW
01-06-13, 22:23
6. 80 minus 6.50 = 30 cents.

Q. And who gives a damn about how much anyone lost or gained?

A. This thread exists because everyone's looking for the best deal!

You claim to change USD20k per week and fell short by 30 cents. That is quite a big deal actually.

I posted the comparison just to make unsuspecting victims aware.

Chezz
01-07-13, 01:31
I posted the comparison just to make unsuspecting victims aware.Victims?

I told them it was a shame they hadn't come on Friday, when I could have taken them to my usual place and got them 6. 95.Would you mind posting where you were able to get 6. 95 on Friday?

Thanks!

TejanoLibre
01-07-13, 01:54
6. 80 minus 6. 50 = 30 cents.

Q. And who gives a damn about how much anyone lost or gained?

A. This thread exists because everyone's looking for the best deal!

You claim to change USD20k per week and fell short by 30 cents. That is quite a big deal actually.

I posted the comparison just to make unsuspecting victims aware.I got 6. 8 and you got 6. 95, last time I checked that equals to. 15; not. 30.

Shit Man , it changes every fucking minute ! 6.8 , 6.7 , 6.95 , etc . Last week I was happy with 6.4 , I give my Pizza Man 6.0 because I'm a nice guy ! I SELL him my dollars at 6.0 !

Something I'm sure you would never do to help out a local . I do it because it is a trivial amount and it's accross the street from my house , plus he gives me extras in return .

If it's my money and if it's a substancial amount I may walk a mile for a camel but if it's for a few dollars more nobody gives a shit.

That's all folks!

TL.

The 20k a week or month is never all at once but maybe in 2k to 4k spurts.

If ALL of you would combine your dollars then you could probably break the 7 to 1 mark, official or not!

These people want to stuff their mattresses with Franklins at any cost!

You keep crying over spilled cum ! Big deal you fucking Limey !

Mrropes
01-07-13, 12:40
I can asure you that there were no victims. TL helped out (for free) and the member who exchanged his money seemed happy. I was along for the knowledge.

Returned today and changed my money. No muss, no fuss. A great benefit for those of us who do not know what is safe and not.

DavieW
01-10-13, 18:26
Got my first of the new Evita 100 peso notes today. I like them!

And against all expectations and predictions, the rate continued to rise this week. Judging by what I got from my agency, you should be able to get 7 on the street today I reckon.

Mpexy
01-10-13, 19:24

And against all expectations and predictions, the rate continued to rise this week. Judging by what I got from my agency, you should be able to get 7 on the street today I reckon.Got 6. 85 couple days ago on tues.

Silver Star
01-10-13, 20:05

And against all expectations and predictions, the rate continued to rise this week. Judging by what I got from my agency, you should be able to get 7 on the street today I reckon.I like the new green reflecting security feature on the new Evita 100's. I heard there are fakes of these already on the streets!

Also a better security hologram on the front too.

Member #4112
01-10-13, 20:42
Just authorized a transfer via Xoom at 6. 6 to one but noticed in the Buenos Aires Herald the Blue Market rate is no 7. 12 to one due to the demand from tourist season. That's a 44% delta fromt he "official" rate of 4. 94 to 1.

Just an FYI

DavieW
01-10-13, 21:21
in the Buenos Aires Herald the Blue Market rate is no 7. 12 to oneThat was for yesterday. I actually got that rate in my hand today, so I'm guessing the 'published' blue rate is at least 7. 22 today!

Rubiks Cube
01-10-13, 23:49
I'll be in buenos aires next week and was hoping for a safe place I can change some dollars. Please pm me any help if not comfortable posting location here. I really appreciate the help.

Daddy Rulz
01-11-13, 11:53
I'll be in buenos aires next week and was hoping for a safe place I can change some dollars. Please pm me any help if not comfortable posting location here. I really appreciate the help.Bring some peanut butter and root beer by the AP House and I'll take you by the hand and walk you there.

Gauntlet77
01-11-13, 13:41
Got 6. 9 this morning at Cervino / Scalabrini Ortiz cueva.

Exchanged 2, 800 dollars.

Aqualung
01-12-13, 03:25
The Dollar closed at 7. 18/7. 20 for this week. Usually the best days to sell are Thursdays and early Fridays (before midday).

Mrropes
01-16-13, 13:42
Got 7. 15 this morning, no begging, no hassles. Wow. 4 increase in a week!

Emeritus
01-16-13, 14:10
Also was that rate for smaller amounts like 200 USD?

Thanks for your.

Thanks for your time and indo.

Got 7. 15 this morning, no begging, no hassles. Wow. 4 increase in a week!

Aqualung
01-16-13, 14:45
Today. 16th of Jan. 1:30 pm. 7.37/7. 51 pesos to the Dollar.

Mrropes
01-16-13, 17:43
About 750 Lavalle.

A little indoor mall across from Acapulco restaurant. Walk in, up three steps and first door on right.

7. 15 for $100USD

SunSeeker
01-17-13, 15:33
7. 2 to 1 for 500usd at cervino today. 1220hrs,

Esten
01-18-13, 01:39
Oh man, up from 6.2 to 7.2 in six weeks. Anyone coming to town now with dollars has got to be pleased with their timing.

Mpexy
01-18-13, 13:50
7. 25 to 1, for 1200 USD this morning at 11:00am at recoleta cueva.

Note. Initially asked for 7. 20 and teller said ok, yes. But in rare honesty for Argentina, she then told me after punching in the 1200 into computer system they use that for that amount I'd get 7. 25

Toymann
01-18-13, 13:59
7. 25 to 1, for 1200 USD this morning at 11:00am at recoleta cueva.

Note. Initially asked for 7. 20 and teller said ok, yes. But in rare honesty for Argentina, she then told me after punching in the 1200 into computer system they use that for that amount I'd get 7. 25If it is then do you know if it is open on Saturdays and what the hours of operation are? I arrive tomorrow morning and will need to get some pesos. Happy mongering all. Toymann

Studmuffin44
01-18-13, 18:01
Arriving BsAs in two week need reliable / safe exchange location in Congresso area.

Post here or PM me prefered, Thanks

Jim Mac
01-18-13, 18:38
If it is then do you know if it is open on Saturdays and what the hours of operation are? I arrive tomorrow morning and will need to get some pesos. Happy mongering all. ToymannDon't know about the one on Junin but the one on Arenales os closed Saturdays and Sundays and it closes at 5. 30 Monday to Friday.

Member #4112
01-18-13, 23:49
Saw yesterday the Blue Dollar rate was 7. 51 to 1.

Anyone getting that rate anywhere?

Rubiks Cube
01-19-13, 14:18
Was the rate I was able to get. I was very happy and appreciate advice of others.

MikeT
01-23-13, 10:17
Does anyone know if the western union place changing dollars near Florida is still open?

DavieW
01-23-13, 10:38
Does anyone know if the western union place changing dollars near Florida is still open?It certainly was last week. Although the Western Union banner is no longer hanging outside, so it's a bit harder to find if you don't already know it!

ElReyalto
01-23-13, 12:57
Xoom now at 7.05.

Member #4112
01-24-13, 17:59
Received 7.10 to 1 today.

SunSeeker
01-24-13, 20:24
Cervino and scalabrini was 7.2 around noon hour,

Jim Mac
01-25-13, 08:34
Received 7.2 at the Arenales cueva late yesterday morning.

Gbartoli
01-25-13, 23:07
Received 7.2 at the Arenales cueva late yesterday morning.A general question for all those using the services of a cueva: say you exchange $1,000 at 7.2, do you go through all 72 100 peso bills checking for counterfeits before you leave? And if you do check them, what do you look for? I know about the metallic ink (easy to check) and the watermark (more time consuming to check). Are there other security features?

TejanoLibre
01-26-13, 06:43
CQUOTE=Jim Mac; 431333]

Received 7.2 at the Arenales cueva late yesterday morning.

The "Blue Baby' hit $7.65 yesterday if you know where to go , I never exchange very much money so I don't care much but the TV that I bought for $1500.00 dollars would now cost me $1000.00 dollars eventhough the price has gone up by 1000p !

Crazy ! That is quite a bit of a diff .

There is a 50% ( give or take a centavo ) between Baby Blue and the Official bullshit Rate , the house of cards must fall apart soon .

TL

Makes me mad because now I want a 4k Super HD TV , you can have my 3 month old Sony at cost ! 3D Smart TV .

P.S - Good chance that your Dollars are as fake as their pesos !

Jim Mac
01-26-13, 09:30
A general question for all those using the services of a cueva: say you exchange $1,000 at 7.2, do you go through all 72 100 peso bills checking for counterfeits before you leave? And if you do check them, what do you look for? I know about the metallic ink (easy to check) and the watermark (more time consuming to check). Are there other security features? At Arenales they count out 100's with the metallic strip down. I watch each one carefully as they count them out. Then I recount them at the counter with the metallic strip up. I've given them back a couple of bills that were in bad condition and they changed them without question. There's no guarantee but when I see the professional style of the Arenales cueva I believe peddling counterfeits is just not in the business plan, it would potentially cause them all kinds of grief.

I'm just down here as a tourist on a long trip and I've now changed over $5k at Arenales which means over 300 Ar$100 bills received and I've had no problem with any of them.I started with a 40% spread on the official rate and its now up to 505. When I'm in tourist places and I see other tourists haul out their credit cards to pay for things,I just shudder. They are crazy and,of course,probably completely unaware of how to access the blue market. Fortunately I read this board.

Daddy Rulz
01-26-13, 11:20
A general question for all those using the services of a cueva: say you exchange $1,000 at 7.2, do you go through all 72 100 peso bills checking for counterfeits before you leave? And if you do check them, what do you look for? I know about the metallic ink (easy to check) and the watermark (more time consuming to check). Are there other security features?You should check every bill,every time. Once in twenty I give myself a pass at the curva I go to. Even if you don't know what you're looking for make a show of checking your bills.They don't know that you don't know what you're looking for. If you don't check them beieve me they will notice.

Here's a pretty good article on what to look for when checking Rocas.

http://santelmoloft.com/2011/07/22/fake-money-in-argentina/

AllIWantIsLove
01-26-13, 12:56
... Which is maybe what you would expect anyway. But a post back in November said that it was open on Saturdays. I got there around 11:15 and it was closed, and a sign in the window said that it is open only weekdays.

Bob.

Spin the Globe
01-26-13, 19:57
Received 7.4 both today and yesterday at the Laval street location previously mentioned in this thread.

They are open Mon through Sat until 5 pm.Closed Only on Sundays.

Big Boss Man
01-28-13, 00:29
{TCS-ellipses} Which is maybe what you would expect anyway. But a post back in November said that it was open on Saturdays. I got there around 11:15 and it was closed, and a sign in the window said that it is open only weekdays.

Bob.It was good information in November. I went there on a Saturday first thing after I arrived. Thank you for the update.

MikeT
01-28-13, 00:30
Any chance someone is so kind as to give the specifics.

Of the "Leval" and "Arenales" locations.

Thanks.

Mrropes
01-28-13, 00:50
Read the post (#97?)

Lavalle about 750.

Opposite from Acapulco Resturant.

TejanoLibre
01-28-13, 00:52
Any chance someone is so kind as to give the specifics.

Of the "Leval" and "Arenales" locations.

Thanks.Lavalle,not Leval! From Carlos Pellegrini to Florida.

Be glad to take you there by the hand if it's not to early or hot.

No problem and no commission!

TL.

Call me at a decent hour.

AllIWantIsLove
01-28-13, 14:11
Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino 7.3 Today (Jan 28) Around Noon.

Emeritus
01-28-13, 17:37
4:30 pm Lavalle y Florida USD/peso 7.4.

Such a game this is.

The last country that wants dollars?

Gauntlet77
01-29-13, 18:34
7.5 at Scalabrini / Ortiz cueva this afternoon!

That's a 50% difference from the official rate. How much higher can it go?

Are we looking at a Zimbabwe hyperinflation here?

Aqualung
01-29-13, 19:49
Are we looking at a Zimbabwe hyperinflation here?No we are looking at the return of Argentine hyperinflation. There was a 12,000% yearly inflation here in the late 80s. (Yes, that is twelve thousand percent a year!)

Member #3320
01-29-13, 21:38
7. 5 at Scalabrini / Ortiz cueva this afternoon!

That's a 50% difference from the official rate. How much higher can it go?

Are we looking at a Zimbabwe hyperinflation here?Right now in Venezuela, the official rate is 4.3 bolivars to 1us$ and the blue rate is 23 Bolivars to 1 us$

I envisage the same situation here in times to come.

Gandolf50
01-29-13, 21:39
Right now in Venezuela, the official rate is 4.3 bolivars to 1us$ and the blue rate is 23 Bolivars to 1 us$

I envisage the same situation here in times to come.Of course, Argie land is following Chavez"s "modelo"!

Santa
01-29-13, 22:07
Someone posted on Facebook that the blue dolar was 7.80 today. 29/01

Mpexy
01-30-13, 13:29
7.5 to 1 today at recoleta cueva. No bonus this time for exchanging 1200usd. (Last time was slight tier increase for over 1k amts)

Quality Time
01-30-13, 18:10
Someone posted on Facebook that the blue dolar was 7.80 today. 29/01Hi, what does "blue dollar" actually mean?

AllIWantIsLove
01-30-13, 20:11
According to http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130130-715370.html

Bob

Sibiola
01-30-13, 21:40
They buy for 7.5 - 7.6 and you can buy for 7.8 - 7.9 now. In street Florida and Lavalle.

Was today. Euro 9. 70. 9.80. Crasy

Jim Mac
02-01-13, 09:47
I have read on this board that the exchange rate in smaller Argentina cities is usually lower than in Buenos Aires. I was in BA for 10 days and Mendoza for 4 days. Just wanted you to know that I was in Mendoza last week. They were giving 6. 2 at the Cambios right on the main street by the McDonalds. You did not have to do large amounts. You did not have to bargain. For 100 dollars you got 6. 2. I went there multiple times and never got a bad bill in exchange. There are always 4 or 5 guys together (from different Cambios) in front of the building whispering "cambio". As you walk inside the building there are different offices for all these guys but the one right down the stairs straight ahead in the Oro (gold) office was the easiest to deal with. Very professional. Clean bills. Very safe. If they are giving that much in Mendoza for small amounts I would suggest that you might see the BA rate climbing even higher very soon.

MountaineerThought I'd update the Mendoza info. The cambios are on San Martin. If you stand on Sarmiento, the pedestrian street, the McDonalds and the cambios are across the street to the left along the block. Walk towards McD's and the touts will accost you on the street.

Yesterday one guy offered me 7 on the street. He went to 7. 3 when I wasn't buying 7. I just followed Mountaineer's advice and walked straight in and straight down half a flight of stairs and into the Oro office. There I was offered 7. 4 which I took. Very professional. Good bills. A few minutes and you are back out on the street with your pesos.

SunSeeker
02-01-13, 11:18
7. 65 this morning. Don't forget they are closed saturdays now.

Jim Mac
02-01-13, 17:50
Also got 7. 65 at Cervino early this afternoon. When we arrived two policemen held the door open for us! Only in Argentina!

Stinger
02-02-13, 14:37
Got 7. 5 to 1 yesterday. Was 7. 8 at the Western Union yesterday according to a friend.

Esten
02-02-13, 18:58
This really is looking like a bubble. Or just the new normal? I remember speaking with a (non monger) American and his Argentinian wife on my last trip, he thought the rate could go to 10.

TejanoLibre
02-02-13, 23:21
This really is looking like a bubble. Or just the new normal? I remember speaking with a (non monger) American and his Argentinian wife on my last trip, he thought the rate could go to 10.It will surpass ten!

TL

Paladin
02-03-13, 00:11
The currency will continue to devalue against the dollar until it becomes apparent that CFK cannot have a third term. If the same economic team stays in place that has exhibited total incompetence in managing an emerging economy, then there will continue be a flight of capital. The embarrassment of the IMF sanctions will be downplayed locally while the world looks on in disbelief at the incompetent management of the Argentine economy. Some one must finally say that the "emperor has no clothes" CFK is all show and no go and her sycophants are uneducated or delusional ideologues with utopian ideas that were discounted 60 years ago. Argentina is caught in a time warp with no foreseeable away out of this economic quagmire. Social programs are great if you have the money to pay for them. You see absolutely no real effort to stimulate the economy. There is a government acceptance of underemployment and no incentive to educate the Argentine youth for the 21st Century economy. Giving an uneducated 16 year-old the right to vote is not the same as giving him / her a relevant education. You might gain votes but ultimately your country goes into the shitter even more.

Damman
02-03-13, 10:23
Some ideas about the blue rate:

http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/153891-Rumores-de-desdoblamiento-cambiario-llevaron-al-blue-a-8-pesos-pero-una-mano-oficial-amiga-lo-baj-diez-centavos

Jackson
02-03-13, 13:44
The currency will continue to devalue against the dollar until it becomes apparent that CFK cannot have a third term. If the same economic team stays in place that has exhibited total incompetence in managing an emerging economy, then there will continue be a flight of capital. The embarrassment of the IMF sanctions credit rating downgrade will be downplayed locally while the world looks on in disbelief at the incompetent management of the Argentine US economy. Some one must finally say that the "emperor has no clothes" CFK Obama is all show and no go and his sycophants are uneducated or delusional ideologues with utopian ideas that were discounted 60 years ago. Argentina The USA is caught in a time warp with no foreseeable away out of this economic quagmire. Social programs are great if you have the money to pay for them. You see absolutely no real effort to stimulate the economy. There is a government acceptance of underemployment and no incentive to educate the Argentine American youth for the 21st Century economy. Giving an uneducated 16 18 year-old the right to vote is not the same as giving him / her a relevant education. You might gain votes but ultimately your country goes into the shitter even more.All I had to do was change the names and it's now a story about the USA.

Paladin
02-03-13, 14:10
Ok Jackson! Touche! But I will forgive you because you are such a good guy and I do not want to be blackballed from the Mansion. Jajaja.

All I had to do was change the names and it's now a story about the USA.

Sibiola
02-04-13, 22:45
The world to come apart. Europe, America or South America. We need to go together. We are one family.

Toymann
02-04-13, 23:42
The world to come apart. Europe, America or South America. We need to go together. We are one family.First he wants to bring Lunita to America for porn, now this foolishness. Where is the moderator. LOL. This guy needs to go. My dos centavos. Toymann

DavieW
02-06-13, 17:19
Damn! It was definitely a bubble. I couldn't change any dollars last week because I didn't have any. Got paid today and got 7. 57 and they told me they were giving 7. 86 at the peak. They reckon it may have already bottomed out though and we should go back to the usual steady rise from here.

Wild Walleye
02-06-13, 17:54
Damn! It was definitely a bubble. I couldn't change any dollars last week because I didn't have any. Got paid today and got 7. 57 and they told me they were giving 7. 86 at the peak. They reckon it may have already bottomed out though and we should go back to the usual steady rise from here.What did the bible say about the money-changers?

Christina is extorting grocery chains into "voluntary" price controls for sixty days and we are told this was the bottom?

FYI, a non-monger buddy of mine told me he was getting something around 8. 2:1 on Florida, within the past two weeks.

Economies are like battleships, it is pretty easy to see when they are turning. Take for instance the US economy which has yet to turn since 2008.

I don't see anything in the economic forecasts that would make me thing think that Arg is past the peak of any bubble or that they are in any sort of bubble. What are tehy going to do about that pesky 30% inflation thingy? The FOREX (official and blue) rates will fluctuate, however they are dictated by other economic factors (specifically Argentinian relative to US and EU factors). Were it not for the US and EU economies being in the crapper, we'd have seen 10:1, long ago (I predict 10:1 won't be the bottom).

I'd strongly recommend holding dollars until you start the foreplay, before exchanging them for pesos.

BTW, CFK's prospects for winning reelection in the midst of this sh*tty economy are about the same as they were for a US president winning with rampant unemployment, 50 million plus on food stamps and absolutely no recovery four years into the recession. The similarities (especially the rampant corruption) couldn't be more clear.

Aqualung
02-06-13, 19:01
Damn! It was definitely a bubble. I couldn't change any dollars last week because I didn't have any. Got paid today and got 7. 57 and they told me they were giving 7. 86 at the peak. They reckon it may have already bottomed out though and we should go back to the usual steady rise from here.The rate only went down for a few days because pro Cristina traders sold a bunch of Dollars to try and close the gap between official and blue rates. The government is desperately trying not raise the official rate even though many government officials now have confessed that the official rate should be 6 to 1.

Meforu 2000
02-06-13, 20:44
Was at 520 ave corrientes wednsday and got $7. 50 to one, walk in ask what they are paying, exchange and leave no fuss no muss, open on saturdays too was there. Been exchanging for 10 years and never got a bad bill. Hope it helps

Invictus
02-07-13, 13:25
Yesterday I exchanged at 1 to 7. 9 here in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. In 10 days I'll arrive in BA where I will stay for three months. From the rates that I see folks mentioning here, it seems that the exchange rate in BA will probably soon improve and therefore it would be better to bring dollars and exchange them into pesos in BA. Any thoughts? Thanks.

AllIWantIsLove
02-07-13, 14:04
Scalabrini Ortiz and Cerviño 7.45 Today (Feb. 7) Around Noon:30 for US$440. They were OK with 2 50s and 2 20s. I don't know if that might have affected the rate.

Bob

Kazzooey
02-07-13, 21:21
I was quoted the same rate in the same location a few hours later, though they upped it to 7. 5 for $1, 000 USD. They wouldn't go higher for $2, 000, though I should've pressed harder.

FYI, I exchanged $2, 000, which included twenty $20 bills. They didn't so much as bat an eye (of course, there were also sixteen $100 bills, so that might have been enough to have made them overlook the twenties).

The rate (s) they quoted me were before they knew what bills I had, so the inclusion of twenties did not affect the rate whatsoever.

Scalabrini Ortiz and Cerviño 7. 45 Today (Feb. 7) Around Noon:30 for US$440. They were OK with 2 50s and 2 20s. I don't know if that might have affected the rate.

Bob

Mpexy
02-08-13, 19:37
At a Recoleta cueva. For 1k USD.

Studmuffin44
02-09-13, 00:04
520 Corrientes, after my hassle free exchange, I was offered an air conditioned private cubicle with a calculator to count and inspect my new stack of pesos, when I was done I walked out of the cubicle said Hi to the Police officer there, then went and had a great steak, impressive operation!

Tummyargentina
02-11-13, 17:22
Can any of you please suggest safe places where I can get a good exchange rate near to Arroyo 841.

Thanks

TejanoLibre
02-16-13, 22:37
At a recoleta cueva. For 1k USD.Getting fucked at Xoom at 7.19 to 1 but I have no choice.

TL.

Bring Dollars and exchange here Boys.

Gato Hunter
02-17-13, 12:52
Been getting 7.5 for a few hundred at Western Union. Florida & Lavalle. As of yesterday.

SunSeeker
02-18-13, 11:46
7.5 today at 10:10 am, didn't matter if changing $500 or $1000.

Lionadwc
02-19-13, 05:51
I am about to head to B A and was at a western Union cambio in Sydney and the guy tell me a lot of people are buying pesos on the black market and selling them in Sydney at the official rate Anyone tried this? Seems like it could be a good earner. He did say that the pesos needed to be in pristine condition.

Daddy Rulz
02-19-13, 16:20
I am about to head to B A and was at a western Union cambio in Sydney and the guy tell me a lot of people are buying pesos on the black market and selling them in Sydney at the official rate Anyone tried this? Seems like it could be a good earner. He did say that the pesos needed to be in pristine condition.I'm amazed! For quite sometime you haven't been able to unload unused pesos in the States when you return. The exchange houses just don't want them.

To answer your question, absolutly this would be a good earner, you can buy pesos here for 7.3- 7.5 to the dollar and if you can sell them there for 5 ish (or whatever the Oz dollar is going for) that's quite a return. I would make good and damn sure that you could sell them in Sydney though. You might find yourself with a lot of expensive toilet paper once you return to Oz.

Not saying don't do it, just saying be careful.

Invictus
02-25-13, 21:11
FYI. Today I exchanged $1,000 at 7.55 at Scalabrini Ortiz & Cervino. No hassles and the fellow waited while I re-counted. Easy as pie.

Stinger
02-26-13, 01:49
7.6 Today at the Western Union.

Lionadwc
02-27-13, 09:50
Hi, what are the chances of getting new pesos in these cambios, and is it worthwhile going for large amounts in one fell swoop, e.g. 6,000 US?

Daddy Rulz
02-27-13, 15:41
Hi, what are the chances of getting new pesos in these cambios, and is it worthwhile going for large amounts in one fell swoop, e.g. 6,000 US?I wouldn't though, that's a lot of cash to have on hand, the exchange is going up (7.6 today, 7.7 in a couple days ect. Personally I wouldn't change more than 500-1000 unless you have some big planned expenditure or are the kind of person that never leaves the house and just gets chicas that do delivery. Also it would be a pain in the ass to check that many bills at one time and everybody near the cambio would see you checking a never ending amount of pesos.

Unless you have a reason for wanting some of the new pesos I have heard (from the guy at the Arenales house) that there are places (their house) that won't take them. Though to be fair, I haven't heard that from anybody else except him.

SunSeeker
02-27-13, 15:41
Hi, what are the chances of getting new pesos in these cambios, and is it worthwhile going for large amounts in one fell swoop, e.g. 6,000 US?I haven't gotten any new of the bills yet. Personally I wouldn't change that much at a single time, a little too dangerous to carry that much on your person, plus the rate is ever changing but right now seems to be moving upwards...

AllIWantIsLove
02-27-13, 16:01
That was for $400 US. Three 100s and two 50s, although I doubt that the 50s changed the rate. (He wouldn't take the 200 dollar bill.)

Bob

DashingDon
02-28-13, 03:08
Hi Guys,

I used to be a regular visitor in the early 2000 s and am contemplating a visit in a few weeks. I checked online and the rates are about 5 pesos to a dollar, yet all the posters here mention a rate in excess of 7. What gives?

TejanoLibre
02-28-13, 03:51
Hi Guys,

I used to be a regular visitor in the early 2000 s and am contemplating a visit in a few weeks. I checked online and the rates are about 5 pesos to a dollar, yet all the posters here mention a rate in excess of 7. What gives?A friend of ours got 7.77 today but he moves a lot of dollars on a regular basis.

I can maybe get you 7.60 but I never know what's going to happen.

Anything over 7.5 is worth while.

TL.

Sportsman
02-28-13, 04:09
Hi Guys,

I used to be a regular visitor in the early 2000 s and am contemplating a visit in a few weeks. I checked online and the rates are about 5 pesos to a dollar, yet all the posters here mention a rate in excess of 7. What gives?5 pesos to 1 dollar is the official exchange rate. That's the exchange rate when withdrawling money from ATM and using US credit card. 7 plus to one is the unofficial exchange rate (blue rate). That's what you get when exchanging cash at the unofficial exchange places in the city. They are called cueva (cave) . They are officially illegal, but so is prostitution in Argentina. So take that for what it's worth.

Daddy Rulz
02-28-13, 04:41
5 pesos to 1 dollar is the official exchange rate. That's the exchange rate when withdrawling money from ATM and using US credit card. 7 plus to one is the unofficial exchange rate (blue rate). That's what you get when exchanging cash at the unofficial exchange places in the city. They are called cueva (cave) . They are officially illegal, but so is prostitution in Argentina. So take that for what it's worth.Seems all my posts lately start flame wars and I'm hoping this doesn't. Prostitution isn't illegal here, pandering is, but not prostitution. Also the blue rate is what cuevas are changing money for, Joe Schmo on the street is going to get a little lower than blue for 50's and 100's, slightly less for 20's.

DashingDon
02-28-13, 19:27
Thanks for that, Sportsman. I had no idea about the unofficial / official rates.

I first visited Argentina in '96 and it was one peso for one dollar. Very expensive. Then, in the early 2000's, the ISG was on fire about BA and the financial crisis and whatnot. It was 4 pesos to the dollar but no unofficial rate and girls were hooking all over. A guy by the name of Saint posted great reports and tons of guys went down there and we all had a lot of fun. Jackson used to organize the 'Clarin parties' etc and we'd go to steakhouses in the evenings.

At the risk of being told to read 8 years of trip reports, what is the scene like now? Cheap steaks and casa hookers? Is Jackson still in that apt across from the cemetary? I haven't been or read about the scene in 8 or so years. I'm looking to arrive in mid April. Is it just for millionaires now?

Shortguy
03-01-13, 12:52
I will be in BA in a few weeks and have always bought pesos at official change houses. How do you know if you are getting counterfit pesos or the real deal at a cueva?

TejanoLibre
03-01-13, 15:33
I will be in BA in a few weeks and have always bought pesos at official change houses. How do you know if you are getting counterfit pesos or the real deal at a cueva?We just always go to the same places once we find a decent rate. The difference between the official rate and the black market makes it a worthwhile gamble.

Good Luck,

TL.

Heard $7.77 yesterday.

Don B
03-02-13, 16:20
So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?

Member #3320
03-02-13, 17:08
Is Jackson still in that apt across from the cemetary? I haven't been or read about the scene in 8 or so years. New Jackson is a multi-milionaire now. He owns many businesses in many different industries and lives in a posh mansion. He is, what success stories are made of. Everything has changed. Welcome back to BA.

Kamikaze
03-02-13, 18:15
So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?You're missing the point. The reason the "unofficial cambios" pay more for USD is because it's the only way to get USD in Argentina. You can't exchange Argentina Pesos for Dollars. Argentina Pesos are not worth anything outside of Argentina. All those kiosks at the airport that exchange currency, they won't take your leftover pesos either.

Kamikaze
03-02-13, 18:20
I will be in BA in a few weeks and have always bought pesos at official change houses. How do you know if you are getting counterfit pesos or the real deal at a cueva?Always check your bills before you leave. Fake bills are easy to spot. Real bills have a reflective metal strip. If you hold a real bill up to the light you will see a watermark of some guys face. It is very easy to spot a fake bill if you just take 1 second to look.

Tres3
03-02-13, 18:47

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?If a person could get all the dollars he wanted to exchange for pesos, there would be no black market. That is an oversimplification, but enough to answer the question.

Tres3.

Gandolf50
03-02-13, 21:01

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?Because to trade pesos back to dollars at a "official" casa de cambio or bank you need the receipt showing that you you traded dollars for pesos to begin with "at the official rate" . They are stupid, but not that stupid.

GlobalNomad5
03-02-13, 21:23
I'll be visiting BsAs in a couple of weeks and it's clear after reading this forum that "cuevas" are the place to exchange money.

I see this particular one mentioned quite a lot, and I will be staying in the vicinity of that intersection (Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño). But how do I find this cueva? I assume there are lots of storefronts on all 4 corners of that intersection. Feel free to PM if this info is too sensitive for a public forum.

Thanks in advance.

That was for $400 US. Three 100s and two 50s, although I doubt that the 50s changed the rate. (He wouldn't take the 200 dollar bill.)

Bob

AllIWantIsLove
03-03-13, 00:41
I don't recall any sign on the cueva, but it's next door to the Freddo's which does have a prominent sign. (Freddo is a chain of ice cream parlors here.) As you are facing Freddo's it's to the left. You have to push a buzzer to the left of the door to be let in. The door is glass and I think that the entire front of the place is glass and you can see two tellers' windows through the door / window.

Bob.

I'll be visiting BsAs in a couple of weeks and it's clear after reading this forum that "cuevas" are the place to exchange money.

I see this particular one mentioned quite a lot, and I will be staying in the vicinity of that intersection (Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño). But how do I find this cueva? I assume there are lots of storefronts on all 4 corners of that intersection. Feel free to PM if this info is too sensitive for a public forum.

Thanks in advance.

GlobalNomad5
03-03-13, 20:30
Thanks for the info Bob. I assume I can get by there with minimal Spanish, right?

I don't recall any sign on the cueva, but it's next door to the Freddo's which does have a prominent sign. (Freddo is a chain of ice cream parlors here.) As you are facing Freddo's it's to the left. You have to push a buzzer to the left of the door to be let in. The door is glass and I think that the entire front of the place is glass and you can see two tellers' windows through the door / window.

Bob.

AllIWantIsLove
03-04-13, 00:29
If you are close enough to walk all you should need is a map. If you use a cab write down the intersection and show that to the driver. His meter will display the fare. He might ask you something, like which side of the street, but it shouldn't be anything critical and they are used to passengers which don't speak Spanish.

Bob.

Thanks for the info Bob. I assume I can get by there with minimal Spanish, right?

Lionadwc
03-05-13, 15:57
Got 7.6 there today.

Wild Walleye
03-05-13, 17:19
Thanks for the info Bob. I assume I can get by there with minimal Spanish, right?Global:

I have yet to encounter an Argie cabby who spoke any English, during my 30 or so visits to Bs As. However, as the guys who have met me in Bs As can attest, my Spanish skills are abysmal. I haven't had any problem with any cabby, so far. However, it is to your benefit to familiarize yourself with the map of the city, major roads, intersections and landmarks (e.g. Florida, Ste Fe, Recoleta Cemetery, etc).

If you are getting near your destination and the driver starts babbling and pointing with his finger (towards the far side of the intersection) you can tell him "here" by saying "aqui" (pronounced "ah-key") or "there" by saying "alli" (pronounced "ah-ghee").

GlobalNomad5
03-05-13, 21:27
Thanks again for all the info. I've studied the maps and plan to walk as much as possible (for exercise's sake if nothing else).

I have no doubt I'll find the place, my only concern was, will I be able to explain what I need when I get there. Or is it enough to just show some dollars and say "cambio"?

Global:

I have yet to encounter an Argie cabby who spoke any English, during my 30 or so visits to Bs As. However, as the guys who have met me in Bs As can attest, my Spanish skills are abysmal. I haven't had any problem with any cabby, so far. However, it is to your benefit to familiarize yourself with the map of the city, major roads, intersections and landmarks (e.g. Florida, Ste Fe, Recoleta Cemetery, etc).

If you are getting near your destination and the driver starts babbling and pointing with his finger (towards the far side of the intersection) you can tell him "here" by saying "aqui" (pronounced "ah-key") or "there" by saying "alli" (pronounced "ah-ghee").

AllIWantIsLove
03-05-13, 21:55
I don't think that you have to say cambio.

Thanks again for all the info. I've studied the maps and plan to walk as much as possible (for exercise's sake if nothing else).

I have no doubt I'll find the place, my only concern was, will I be able to explain what I need when I get there. Or is it enough to just show some dollars and say "cambio"?

Chezz
03-08-13, 20:02
Got 7.60 this afternoon changing $800 USD at Arenales and Libertad.

Kurty
03-10-13, 18:56
Changed in Cordoba / Florida 500 $ for 7.7 today.

Tummyargentina
03-11-13, 14:23
Guys- Can anyone please tell me are there any trustworthy cambios in Recoleta where I can get a good exchange rate.

Thanks.

Lionadwc
03-11-13, 16:40
Got 7.75 there today.

Kazzooey
03-12-13, 00:10
Got 7.75 there today.How much did you exchange to get that rate?

Jim Mac
03-12-13, 08:28
Guys- Can anyone please tell me are there any trustworthy cambios in Recoleta where I can get a good exchange rate.

Thanks.1245 Arenales.

Lionadwc
03-12-13, 08:29
How much did you exchange to get that rate?2,000 but they gave me that rate before I told them how much.

HappyGoLucky
03-16-13, 00:42
Exchanged $500 for 7.7 today.

PurpleThomas
03-17-13, 16:51
Sign saying the office is now in the basement of Galerias Pacificos, and the booth there wants passports and advertises 4.92.

TL got me 7.5 (would have been more were I less gringissimo) somewhere around Arenales or Santa Fe / 9 de Julio: thanks!

TejanoLibre
03-17-13, 17:02
Sign saying the office is now in the basement of Galerias Pacificos, and the booth there wants passports and advertises 4.92.

TL got me 7.5 (would have been more were I less gringissimo) somewhere around Arenales or Santa Fe / 9 de Julio: thanks!I was not happy with 7.5 because I told him to give you 7.7 but then again it was'nt that much.

That was on Lavalle at a store called Harry Truman, maybe 900 block. It's a clothing and general junk shop but it was convenient as we were in a hurry.

Better luck next time.

The Tour was nice, we must have walked 100 blocks.

Thanks,

TL.

Lionadwc
03-18-13, 12:04
I need to offload some pesos (all in good condition, no writing ect) as my plan to change them back in Australia has come unstuck-western union have just changed their policy and won't buy them now at the official rate. So I suppose back to the cueva unless someone is interested in an exchange to $us at a good rate. I am in Recoleta.

Daddy Rulz
03-18-13, 13:49
I need to offload some pesos (all in good condition, no writing ect) as my plan to change them back in Australia has come unstuck-western union have just changed their policy and won't buy them now at the official rate. So I suppose back to the cueva unless someone is interested in an exchange to $us at a good rate. I am in Recoleta.You might want to give an idea of exchange rate and amount you can handle. I realize why you would want to be circumspect but you might get more responses with a little more info.

Also I got 7.9 for 3300 today at my guy on Florida right across from Galaria Pacifico.

Lionadwc
03-18-13, 14:30
I need to offload some pesos (all in good condition, no writing ect) as my plan to change them back in Australia has come unstuck-western union have just changed their policy and won't buy them now at the official rate. So I suppose back to the cueva unless someone is interested in an exchange to $us at a good rate. I am in Recoleta.Sure, good advice. Really just want to get rid of them so happy to exchange at 7.8 have 20000 pesos.

Lionadwc
03-19-13, 12:46
Happy to change at 7.9 see my previous posts.

PurpleThomas
03-20-13, 11:29

TL got me 7.5 (would have been more were I less gringissimo) somewhere around Arenales or Santa Fe / 9 de Julio: thanks!Sorry about this, my fault: on a weekday there are guys in the 800-900 block of Florida who are sufficiently delighted to exchange at 7.7 that I wonder if I could have got more.

Wild Walleye
03-20-13, 12:54

Thanks.Tommy: For most of the 'stuff' (cell phones, SIM cards, good exchange rates, etc)., I have found that I need to go to Centro. That said, if you go back in this thread several pages or so, I am pretty sure that Toymann or one of the other local legends has a cambio on Junin (if I recall correctly) that I probably walked past a million times.

Good luck.

SunSeeker
03-20-13, 14:36
8.1 for 500 USD at cervino cueva today.

Will be open Saturdays again starting 23 March, if I read it right from 10:00-13:00, Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00.

Wild Walleye
03-20-13, 16:13
8.1 for 500 USD at cervino cueva today.

Will be open Saturdays again starting 23 March, if I read it right from 10:00-13:00, Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00.I haven't bothered to do a regression analysis, however, it seems to me that the spread between the official rate and the blue rate is growing. I would interpret that as a leading indicator and what it is indicating isn't positive for anyone hold large amounts of pesos.

Daddy Rulz
03-20-13, 19:54
My best Argie friends cousin works in finance here and he told me yesterday morning there was no price to buy dollars. That may have changed during the day but yesterday morning there wasn't a price. I'm thinking the peso is about to shoot to 9 or 10. I'll be changing as needed over the next couple weeks.

Disclaimer; I'm not an economist, nor have I ever played one on TV. Additionally I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last evening so my thoughts about the peso could be horribly wrong.

Lionadwc
03-20-13, 20:38
My best Argie friends cousin works in finance here and he told me yesterday morning there was no price to buy dollars. That may have changed during the day but yesterday morning there wasn't a price. I'm thinking the peso is about to shoot to 9 or 10. I'll be changing as needed over the next couple weeks.

Disclaimer; I'm not an economist, nor have I ever played one on TV. Additionally I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last evening so my thoughts about the peso could be horribly wrong.I sold a lot of pesos today for $US at Arenales. Price was changing buy the hour, started at 8.45 at 11 am was 8.7 at 1.30 pm. Guy told me that all the cuevas will sell dollars.

Aqualung
03-20-13, 23:16
The traders closed today at 8.70-8.75. This is after yesterday's hike from 15% to 20% on all purchases made in foreign currency with credit cards. Cristina had a meeting with the president of the central bank this evening. It will probably lower a little tomorrow but it will be interesting to see what happens next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Canardly
03-21-13, 00:17
Looks like we may be close to a breathtaking opportunity to buy prime BA real estate.

SunSeeker
03-21-13, 09:26
Looks like we may be close to a breathtaking opportunity to buy prime BA real estate.Almost ALL the real estate I have looked at here is priced in USD, and overpriced in my opinion.

Canardly
03-21-13, 11:47
I was last in BA a year ago and I agree with you on general valuation.

But here is what has changed: in July Christina made it illegal to transact in dollars for real estate and transactions are down big YOY.

Because sellers don't want to accept a price which is effectively less than the blue rate and buyers won't pay more than the official rate!

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/07/07/argentine-central-bank-announces-pesification-of-real-estate-operations

http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/argentinas-economy-hurting-housing-market-59916.aspx

Because the market is not functioning there is a growing pent up demand of people who need to sell and will eventually transact at the clearing price.

If the blue market continues to rise, there will be a major advantage for holders of US dollars to compete with locals who hold Pesos ARS.

Gandolf50
03-21-13, 12:54
Almost ALL the real estate I have looked at here is priced in USD, and overpriced in my opinion.It always has been, overpriced and priced in dollars!

Daddy Rulz
03-21-13, 13:08
Almost ALL the real estate I have looked at here is priced in USD, and overpriced in my opinion.I don't follow them religiously but I've noticed a lot of flyers in the windows of real estate offices with prices that seem to be dropping. I'm pretty sure those flyers are more bait and switchy than the Esmeralda VIP web site but seems like the prices have really come down. I don't remember seeing a lot of Recoletta Apt's for under 150 K in a long time and now there are a lot in the 130 K range.

Again, not something I'm expert at, just something I've noticed.

DR.

SunSeeker
03-21-13, 20:36
I don't follow them religiously but I've noticed a lot of flyers in the windows of real estate offices with prices that seem to be dropping. I'm pretty sure those flyers are more bait and switchy than the Esmeralda VIP web site but seems like the prices have really come down. I don't remember seeing a lot of Recoletta Apt's for under 150 K in a long time and now there are a lot in the 130 K range.

Again, not something I'm expert at, just something I've noticed.

DR.Could be DR, I haven't looked in agency windows in Recoleta, though I have looked at "for sale" signs when wandering in that area, anything I have seen for less than $150 k USD was usually 45 m2 or less, and a couple of houses, 3+ bedrooms, 300 m2+, (in serious need of renovations) I looked at were $750 k+ which to me was nuts!

I'll have to look closer at agencies my next time in Recoleta.

SunSeeker
03-21-13, 20:38
I was last in BA a year ago and I agree with you on general valuation.

But here is what has changed: in July Christina made it illegal to transact in dollars for real estate and transactions are down big YOY.

Because sellers don't want to accept a price which is effectively less than the blue rate and buyers won't pay more than the official rate!

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/07/07/argentine-central-bank-announces-pesification-of-real-estate-operations

http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/argentinas-economy-hurting-housing-market-59916.aspx

Because the market is not functioning there is a growing pent up demand of people who need to sell and will eventually transact at the clearing price.

If the blue market continues to rise, there will be a major advantage for holders of US dollars to compete with locals who hold Pesos ARS.I hope it turns out that you are right.

Canardly
03-23-13, 12:34
According to Reuters blue hit 8.70/8.75 Wednesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/20/argentina-peso-idUSL1N0CCBCN20130320

FrankAndStein
03-23-13, 19:30
Wow, I was hoping to get 7.9 and got 8.2. Definitely is a reaction to the increased tax of 20% on locals using credit cards outside Argentina. Scramble (panic?) to buy USD.

At this rate will be 9 in a few weeks and 10 by June.

I probably should have waited to change dollars, but it seemed too good to be true so I changed 2 k.

At 8, BsAs is as cheap as it was 2 years ago. At 9 or 10 it will be like 2006.

It will be a great opportunity to buy an apt within the next year. Dollars will rule. Fantastic deal to buy a nice apt in Palermo for 100 to 150 K in one of the great cities of the world. Thank you Kretina!

Aqualung
03-23-13, 20:26
As I predicted, the Dollar dropped a little to 8,42/8,48 to close the week after hitting a record high of 8,70/8,75 earlier this week. The method the government used to make the Dollar come down can only keep it like this for a very short time. They are desperate not to devalue the peso till after the elections later this year and are using all the resources they can. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't reach 9 later next week or the week after.

TejanoLibre
03-23-13, 21:12
As I predicted, the Dollar dropped a little to 8,42/8,48 to close the week after hitting a record high of 8,70/8,75 earlier this week. The method the government used to make the Dollar come down can only keep it like this for a very short time. They are desperate not to devalue the peso till after the elections later this year and are using all the resources they can. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't reach 9 later next week or the week after.Moreno asked that the Blue Rate be set at 8.45 and nobody listened to him so on Monday the rate will be set at 6.00 by force and the illegal cuevas will be closed down!

This is front page news in todays Clarin. What should we do? Run to the exchange house of choice on Sunday and sell as many dollars as you think you will need?

That means Lavalle and Florida as some of the others will be closed.

Any thoughts?

TL.

Maybe someone can pull-up the article.

Don B
03-23-13, 21:31
Moreno asked that the Blue Rate be set at 8.45 and nobody listened to him so on Monday the rate will be set at 6.00 by force and the illegal cuevas will be closed down!

This is front page news in todays Clarin. What should we do? Run to the exchange house of choice on Sunday and sell as many dollars as you think you will need?

That means Lavalle and Florida as some of the others will be closed.

Any thoughts?

TL.

Maybe someone can pull-up the article.Damn, and I won't be in Bs As until May.

Don be.

FrankAndStein
03-23-13, 21:49
Here's the article: http://www.clarin.com/politica/Moreno-pretende-bajarle-ahora-quiere_0_887911326.html.

In brief it says Moreno demanded the blue rate be lowered to 6 'within 1 week', and how ridiculous it is for him to expect that to happen.

It says he could indeed close all the cuevas, but that would probably take some time.

No one will sell dollars at 6 when they know there is demand at 9.

This could get interesting. If they do close the cuevas the market will just move to private offices and houses. I already sell dollars to friends here, and I could start up a business if they shut down the cuevas.

Go for it Moreno!

Old Coach
03-24-13, 01:28
Anyone know the current blue rate for Euros?

FrankAndStein
03-24-13, 16:20
Anyone know the current blue rate for Euros?I changed a bunch of currencies at the same place (cervino) at the same time, so not sure exactly but it was over 10. Maybe 10.5?

They also changed some brazilian currency for me that I had left over. All at 'blue' rates of course.

And yes, a cop opened the door for me, so it isn't exactly being pressured to close, at least not yet.

Old Coach
03-24-13, 16:34
I changed a bunch of currencies at the same place (cervino) at the same time, so not sure exactly but it was over 10. Maybe 10.5?

They also changed some brazilian currency for me that I had left over. All at 'blue' rates of course.

And yes, a cop opened the door for me, so it isn't exactly being pressured to close, at least not yet.Wow! Was 7.5 last October.

Turtle28
03-25-13, 18:17
Landing in BA tomorrow night.. Can anybody suggest the best place to exchange money...

Just somewhere which has blue rate (or close to it) and shaft me with a heap of counterfeit money.

Much appreciated.. Probably want to exchange 1000 US for the week.

Regards.

Silver Star
03-25-13, 18:29
Landing in BA tomorrow night.. Can anybody suggest the best place to exchange money...

Just somewhere which has blue rate (or close to it) and shaft me with a heap of counterfeit money.

Regards.Hi Rory.

I am an airport chauffeur here, and I'll be heading into EZE from the CITY at 5:45 PM, let me know if you would like to take advantage of my transfer service at a lower rate than normal since I will be there anyway, and I may also be able to assist you with $ exchange, so you will be ready to go from the start. The sooner I know the better so we can make the necessary arrangements.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Chezz
03-25-13, 20:02
Here's one in Recoleta: 1245 Arenales, between Talcahuano and Libertad. Very professional and located in a good neighborhood.

Regards.

Turtle28
03-26-13, 01:59
Thank you.

MikeT
04-09-13, 05:36
What is the latest blue exchange rate?

Thanks

DavieW
04-09-13, 10:33
What is the latest blue exchange rate ...?
Interested to know myself. I only change USD once a month when I get paid and it looks like I've missed out on the highs of a couple of weeks ago.

I'm expecting my salary to arrive later this morning. I'll let you know what I get offered.

Kazzooey
04-09-13, 11:37
I got 8.1 yesterday April 8 at the cueva on Scalabrini and Cervino.

Jackson
04-09-13, 14:07
What is the latest blue exchange rate?

ThanksGee, I wonder if those links titled "Exchange Rates" on the forum's Front Page would be of any help in answering this question?

Member #4112
04-09-13, 17:54
Jackson,

I don't think anybody reads down to the blue dollar link.

Sort of the same mentality of the newbys asking for help without reading any posts.

Got pabulum?

Santa
04-09-13, 18:12
Jackson,

I don't think anybody reads down to the blue dollar link.

Sort of the same mentality of the newbys asking for help without reading any posts.

Got pabulum?Wrong!

Yes it is helpful, but I have a question. On Precio Dolar Blue and La Nacion the current purchase rate is 8.34 and the current sell rate is 8.37. Whereas on DolarBlue.net the current purchase rate is 7.87 and the sale rate is 8.37. Last year, some person, who want to buy dollars from me, told me that you had to use DolarBlue's figures and average the sale and purchase rate on DolarBlue.net to determine the correct sell price. Using the current prices on DolarBlue.net he would buy my dollars at 8.12. Obviously this is a rip-off. No doubt there is a discount from the current published purchase price, but I believe that it should be in the range of 5-6 cents depending on the amount and denominations of the dollars involved. Thus, using a purchase price of 8.34 the price would be 8.28 or 8.29.

So after that long winded introduction what is the normal discount from the published purchase price, if any?

Canardly
04-09-13, 18:39
Let me explain the best I can:

It's a market. I'm not an Argentine (or any sort of) lawyer so I'll not comment on the legality or otherwise of exchanging money other than at the white rate a little over 5.

I'll stick with practicality. Those of us lucky to have a direct line to a cueva will not want to disclose information potentially embarrassing to the cueva.

Think of the cueva as the principal. The cuevas employ "arbolitos" as agents. These are the guys who patrol Florida and Lavalle (pronounced Lavash) They need to make a little money themselves so they will offer a little less than the cueva. So talk to the arbolito and negotiate a price (they were offering me 8.0 on Sunday). Tell him how many dollars you want to exchange and he will give you a price. There may be a little room for negotiation, generally speaking $100 bills are most desired (portability) and larger amounts get a better rate.

There also some cambio places mentioned in this thread which may be principals or agents, it's a little hard to tell sometimes.

If you agree on price he will probably take you to a local storefront within a mall, take your money and ask you to wait. He will then go to the cueva with your money, or possibly to a local business owner if the has that connection, and ten minutes later will return with the agreed amount of Pesos AR.

Will he come back with the correct amount of Pesos AR? Extremely likely.

Will there be any counterfeit bills?" Unlikely but possible, but almost certainly it will be by mistake rather than malice. Could happen at a bank also.

Remember, It's a market. There is no "right price". It's just a matter of are there more Pesos looking for dollars or dollars looking for Pesos.

Good luck out there and remember to post your report!

Santa
04-09-13, 19:15
Last year 6.34 three weeks ago, 7.87 and last week 8.20 All $100 and a $1000 or more. None were made on Florida or LaValle.

As to the discount, if any, you do not average the buy / sell rates on DolarBlue.net,no? Can I just look at the published rate on La Nacion, discount it by 5 cent and get a fair exchange?

DavieW
04-09-13, 20:12
I'm expecting my salary to arrive later this morning. I'll let you know what I get offered.8.25 this afternoon.

Jackson
04-09-13, 20:23
Wrong!

Yes it is helpful, but I have a question. On Precio Dolar Blue and La Nacion the current purchase rate is 8.34 and the current sell rate is 8.37. Whereas on DolarBlue.net the current purchase rate is 7.87 and the sale rate is 8.37. Last year, some person, who want to buy dollars from me, told me that you had to use DolarBlue's figures and average the sale and purchase rate on DolarBlue.net to determine the correct sell price. Using the current prices on DolarBlue.net he would buy my dollars at 8.12. Obviously this is a rip-off. No doubt there is a discount from the current published purchase price, but I believe that it should be in the range of 5-6 cents depending on the amount and denominations of the dollars involved. Thus, using a purchase price of 8.34 the price would be 8.28 or 8.29.

So after that long winded introduction what is the normal discount from the published purchase price, if any?Hi Santa,

Without a doubt, any published "Blue Dollar" rate is only an estimate as there is no official market for such exchanges.

Nevertheless, these sources do provide some insight into what is by nature a murky subject.

I generally find that I will receive approximately 97 to 98% of what I sense is the day's "most rational" number.

I can also say, in a completely subjective statement, that www.ambito.com seems to more consistently provide the most accurate number (after being discounted as described above).

Of course, as noted, there are dozens of other variables which may effect the rate you get quoted at that moment, including the possibility that the cueva you are in may be under-supplied with one currency or another and they're just at that moment trying to discourage purchases of that currency.

Thanks,

Jackson.

MikeT
04-09-13, 22:41
I did not see those links before.

Jackson
04-11-13, 18:09
FYI...

Today the published blue dollar rates were:

lanacion.com = 8.40

ambito.com = 8.42

dolarpeso.com = 7.68

dolarblue.net = 8.43

preciodolarblue.com.ar = 8.42

Today, I actually got 8.25 while exchanging 1k.

That's 98% of the ambito.com published rate.

You are welcome,

Jackson

Member #3320
04-11-13, 20:26
Beats me, why someone who earns in pesos from local business would want to exchange us $!

Gandolf50
04-11-13, 20:37
Beats me, why someone who earns in pesos from local business would want to exchange us $!I am not a economist but I think it would be obvious. The banks are not paying interest, any where. But if you earn in pesos and buy a small amount (what ever you could afford) monthly the saving and earnings should be obvious. In less then two years the dollar has gone from 5 to 8 pesos. About a 60 % gain? Where else can you get that return on a small investment. With the dollar supposedly going to 10 in the near future, that would be 100% in less then 3 years. It seems like a good idea to me!

HappyGoLucky
04-12-13, 21:59
8.15 today, Friday.

Gandolf50
04-18-13, 09:13
Dolar Blue is showing 8.70. Is any one getting anything near that?

Daddy Rulz
04-18-13, 12:47
Dolar Blue is showing 8.70. Is any one getting anything near that?I got 8.40 for 300.

Santa
04-18-13, 14:03
I got 8.40 for 300.8.40 both days for 1000 K each.

BlackBerry1
04-18-13, 14:34
I'll be staying in Microcentro. Does anyone know where I can get my dollars exchanged in that area?

Sleeper
04-18-13, 14:45
Hey, does anyone know how late these guys are open? I haven't been there yet, but they sound legit based on what people have been saying here. If anyone has any bad experiences with them, please let me know before I go! Thanks.

TejanoLibre
04-18-13, 18:30
I'll be staying in Microcentro. Does anyone know where I can get my dollars exchanged in that area?To you and Sleeper:

There are 951 Posts on this subject! Anything and everything ANYBODY could EVER want to know! Just spend 5 minutes to read them and you can exchange all you want without getting killed or ripped off!

TL.

All within walking distance of the Obelisco!

Don B
04-19-13, 14:37
[Deleted by Admin]

Jackson
04-19-13, 16:05
What is the name of the hotel on [Deleted by Admin] (I think).As I remember it is the building where United Airlines had a large operation years ago. Don B.Hey DonB,

What the fuck does this have to do with "Exchanging Currency"?

Thanks,

Jackson

Don B
04-19-13, 16:39
Hey DonB,

What the fuck does this have to do with "Exchanging Currency"?

Thanks,

JacksonNothing, but frankly your posting rules and methods are not logical.

So how about answering the question.

Don B.

Jackson
04-19-13, 16:56
Nothing, but frankly your posting rules and methods are not logical.

So how about answering the question.

Don B.Really?

You think that asking members to post in threads that are relevant to their post is "not logical"?

And then you continue to spam the thread with the question "So how about answering the question."

Here's a question for you: Why don't you fuck off?

Thanks,

Jackson

Exon123
04-19-13, 17:26
Believe me, you don't "Fuck With El Jefe".

I learned that the hardway.

Exon

HappyGoLucky
04-20-13, 01:30
Until 5 pm Monday through Friday; not sure about Saturday. I've never had a problem there and usually get a higher rate with $100 notes on exchanges over $1000.

Hey, does anyone know how late these guys are open? I haven't been there yet, but they sound legit based on what people have been saying here. If anyone has any bad experiences with them, please let me know before I go! Thanks.

Kazzooey
04-24-13, 19:10
Got 8.65 this afternoon at Scalabrini and Cervino. This was their initial quote, independent of amount changed.

20 minutes later, I popped into the Junin coin shop to see how they would compare. Was quoted only 8.3.

TejanoLibre
04-26-13, 18:33
Got 8.65 this afternoon at Scalabrini and Cervino. This was their initial quote, independent of amount changed.

20 minutes later, I popped into the Junin coin shop to see how they would compare. Was quoted only 8.3.Got $8.97 today across the street from X at the "Tourista" Store next door to La Mad!

I said "$8.97 ? That's too much!! ".

And the guy said " I can pay you less if you'd like! ".

Then I heard that Gautlet got 9 to 1 !

Fuck! It is about to hit the fan! Or it already has!

TL.

Turismo Dalman.

Carlos Pelegrini 787.

Leather, Kitchen Magnets and Mate' Gourds!

Tourist Shit!

High-End Bus Tickets to All Over The Country Too! Same price as the Bus Terminal but a lot more convenient!

Don B
04-26-13, 19:33
Got $8.97 today across the street from X at the "Tourista" Store next door to La Mad!

I said "$8.97 ? That's too much!! ".

And the guy said " I can pay you less if you'd like! ".

Then I heard that Gautlet got 9 to 1 !

Fuck! It is about to hit the fan! Or it already has!

TL.

Turismo Dalman.

Carlos Pelegrini 787.

Leather, Kitchen Magnets and Mate' Gourds!

Tourist Shit!

High-End Bus Tickets to All Over The Country Too! Same price as the Bus Terminal but a lot more convenient!How late are they open?

Don B.

TejanoLibre
04-26-13, 23:58
How late are they open?

Don B.It's a retail shop for Tourist on a super busy intersection but most of the retail shops seem to close at 8 pm on the street and 9 pm in the malls.

Figure 5 or 6 pm to be safe.

Just walk in and say "Tengo Dolares, me mando El Tejano Libre. ".

" I have dollars, Tejano Libre sent me.

That's just to keep him honest!

Ask for $9.00 to 1 since I just found out that a lot of people are dropping their pants for 9 bucks! Right off the bat! Hit him even higher if you want!

I had not exchanged in a week so $8.97 shocked me.

TL.

P.S. The 3 Boys that think I make a single Penny on these deals can go to Heaven! At 9 there is no room is there? Oh yeah, at $8.97 I can make $3.00 per THOUSAND u$d! Tempting isn't it? I can't even get a drink that I won't drink!

I will take that back! If it's a 60 year old single malt I will consider it since it's about $6,000.00 dollars a bottle and maybe $1000.00 dollars a shot in the USA!

Better be better than a Deluxe Rusty Trombone!

Jackson
04-27-13, 15:45
I've been studying the varoius websites that publish unofficial blue dollar rates.

Some of these published rates just don't make any sense to me.

Specifically, yesterday La Nacion published the blue dollar rates as:

DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA = 9,260.

DÓLAR BLUE VENTA = 9,300.

That's only a .5% margin.

Also, ambito.com lists the rate as:

COMPRA = 9,300.

VENTA = 9,340.

That's only a .45% margin.

So my question is: How do these rates make any sense?

For example, if a money exchange was to utilize these rates, how could they possible stay in business on a 1/2% margin?

Thanks,

Jackson

DavieW
04-27-13, 16:41
I think it means you can take them with a pinch of salt! Neither La Nacion nor ambito.com ARE money exchangers and nobody in the real world has ever found anyone exchanging money at the rates they publish.

As has been said many times on this forum, they're an approximate indicator of what the real exchange rates might be if you take 20-30 centavos off their published buy rates and that's about as much as should be read into them.

TejanoLibre
04-27-13, 17:04
I've been studying the varoius websites that publish unofficial blue dollar rates.

COMPRA = 9,300.

VENTA = 9,340.

For example, if a money exchange was to utilize these rates, how could they possible stay in business on a 1/2% margin?

Thanks,

JacksonI surely don't know finance unfortunately but I'm at the Arbolitos about 4 days a week and they try to fuck me for everything from $7 to $1 to $9 to $1 Yesterday!

At 300k USD it starts to make sense to a tiny store front that sells leather too . ( maybe ? )

My only guess is that the Blue or Black Market Boys are hedging their bets and are stuffing their mattresses with Franklins! No fucking way are they putting them in the bank, not even in their safety deposit boxes!

They are assuming that the Blue Rate is going to hit 10 to 1 and a lot more; maybe even a catastrophic crash!

Sidney, Mad Max, Toymann or Morgando should know something solid!

I'm not complaining about 9.3 though!

Gold may drop to 1200 so I'm thinking Sell now and Buy later when it gets stupid again!

I only know the price of pussy and it's higher than Giraffe Pussy these days!

TL.

Spassmusssein
04-27-13, 17:49
You can win 80% cash per day. Buy at 5.1 sell at 9,2.

One day they 'll wiki-leak the list of senators or congressmen who "suddenly" became rich.

Pussy-price in Thelmo or Mburucuya staying stable (for spassi).

600 P.S. TLN.

Yes we can

TejanoLibre
04-27-13, 17:57
You can win 80% cash per day. Buy at 5.1 sell at 9,2.

One day they 'll wiki-leak the list of senators or congressmen who "suddenly" became rich.

Pussy-price in Thelmo or Mburucuya staying stable (for spassi).

600 P.S. TLN.

Yes we can80% is EXCELLENT!

And I guess the price of Pussy ALL depends on where one might hang-out!

I take guys to the tourist traps because they are looking for that level but I prefer the Local Race Track myself!

TL.

Jackson
04-27-13, 19:01
As has been said many times on this forum, they're an approximate indicator of what the real exchange rates might be if you take 20-30 centavos off their published buy rates and that's about as much as should be read into them.My thinking is that the delta would probably be better expressed as a percentage as opposed to "20-30 centavos", which in itself looses accuracy with inflation.

As nearly as my preliminary observations can determine, the difference is somewhere between 2% and 4% of of the published (and largely speculative) rates on the websites.

The question is which one of the websites offers the most accurate base rate from which to discount.

Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks,

Jackson.

TejanoLibre
04-29-13, 03:45
My thinking is that the delta would probably be better expressed as a percentage as opposed to "20-30 centavos", which in itself looses accuracy with inflation.

As nearly as my preliminary observations can determine, the difference is somewhere between 2% and 4% of of the published (and largely speculative) rates on the websites.

The question is which one of the websites offers the most accurate base rate from which to discount.

Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks,

Jackson.Feris Bueller's Quotes?

Or the retaurants on Lavalle that were kind enough to offer us $5.13 to $1 for dinner?

That was funny!

TL.

Canardly
04-29-13, 21:04
At Jackson:

Above website gives me the best handle on rates.

The blue ask is the key rate, a good cueva will give maybe 15 centavos south of the ask on $1000 plus in hundreds, if you're selling Pesos maybe 15 centavos north.

http://www.dolarblue.net

My thinking is that the delta would probably be better expressed as a percentage as opposed to "20-30 centavos", which in itself looses accuracy with inflation.

Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks,

Jackson.

DavieW
05-02-13, 20:33
My thinking is that the delta would probably be better expressed as a percentage as opposed to "20-30 centavos", which in itself looses accuracy with inflation.Got 9.30 today with ambito.com saying 9.60.

I know that what you're saying makes sense Jackson, but I've been seeing the 20-30 centavo delta since the rate was about 4.20.

Dickhead
05-02-13, 21:41
I used to work for a currency trading firm and was chatting with a former colleague about the behavior Davie and Jackson are observing, where the nominal spread is remaining constant but the percentage spread is narrowing. He said it was volume-related; there has been more active trading in the Argie pesos and so economies of scale have driven down the percentage spread. At the higher or wholesale trading levels, the liquidity is better as the trade is more popular, and the spread narrows.

This guy went to MIT so I only 85% understood him but it makes sense on an Econ 101 type level. Oh yeah, and he also said his current firm is following a "daily short" strategy with Argentina where they close out their short position in the peso every night. He said that leads to somewhat higher trading costs but that the risk of an overnight blow-up is more than they want to risk. Basically they are re-assessing the country risk every single day.

Aqualung
05-03-13, 02:07
It's simple. It's all about offer and demand. You have to realize it's the other way around to what you as foreigners perceive. The market is dictated by Argentines buying US $ not the how much anyone gets for his Dollars. Today we closed at 9.60/9.63. The demand for Dollars pushed the price to 9.60 while the lack of sellers narrowed the difference to 3 cents.

When the central bank had reserves it just dumped a pile of greenbacks on the market so the price dropped. Today it doesn't have reserves so it can't regulate the price. Another variable were the exporters (farmers). When they sold their crop they also flooded the market with Dollars. Today they are so controlled by the government they keep their real money in offshore banks bringing only the minimum they can't get away with into the country as hard cash.

Cancelling foreign debts is another variable but the government's attitude is "F-you. You are the one loosing sleep over money that you probably will never see again." So the sanctions that may or not come in the future aren't relevant at this moment.

You guys exchange at little trinket or leather stores where they may see at the most a few hundred Dollars a day so they (have to) offer as low as they can to sell as high as they can thus making a little profit but the big traders are buying and selling BY THE KILO. A million Dollars in C notes is 1 kilo 100 grams.

The preferred currency for getting the money out of the country is the Euro. The 500 hundred note weighs much less.

Jaggar
05-03-13, 06:42
Excuse the ignorance of my question. Are we to bring ben franklin notes down in our underpants and exchange them in microcentro? Whatabout the fear of them argies handing over to us counterfeit AR pesos??

Thank you.

Jaggar.

Damman
05-03-13, 10:12
Think the Blue market is bigger than I ever imagined: $100 million a day in Buenos Aires.

http://www.cronista.com/contenidos/2013/05/03/noticia_0005.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.cronista.com/contenidos/2013/05/03/noticia_0005.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

TejanoLibre
05-03-13, 12:20
Excuse the ignorance of my question. Are we to bring ben franklin notes down in our underpants and exchange them in microcentro? Whatabout the fear of them argies handing over to us counterfeit AR pesos??

Thank you.

Jaggar.We go to the same exchange house of choice all the time and for many years for some of us so it's not worth it for them to do that.

Go with someone that knows where to go.

TL.

Damman
05-03-13, 12:49

Thank you.

Jaggar.Understand someone's skepticism and fear. Follow TL's advice and tip the guy a few bucks. A small price to pay for a sure thing. Don't get greedy. The market is so volatile things change as we speak. And the idea of stuffing Benjis in your britches is crazy. Be guarded and careful. One place where I change currency is an armed camp. Feel safer there than about anywhere in BA. Been doing it for years and notta problem ever. Blue Market is quite sophisticated. Have seen suitcases come and go from the little rooms. My paltry sum is chump change. Enjoy the life and thank Cristina for pessification.

TejanoLibre
05-03-13, 13:38
Understand someone's skepticism and fear. Follow TL's advice and tip the guy a few bucks. A small price to pay for a sure thing. Don't get greedy. The market is so volatile things change as we speak. And the idea of stuffing Benjis in your britches is crazy. Be guarded and careful. One place where I change currency is an armed camp. Feel safer there than about anywhere in BA. Been doing it for years and notta problem ever. Blue Market is quite sophisticated. Have seen suitcases come and go from the little rooms. My paltry sum is chump change. Enjoy the life and thank Cristina for pessification.No need to tip anyone, if I'm not doing anything we can go and talk to 3 or 5 exchange houses and you can make your own choice.

7 days a week.

Daddy might help if he has time too. A lot of guys will help you.

TL.

Daddy Rulz
05-03-13, 14:03
No need to tip anyone, if I'm not doing anything we can go and talk to 3 or 5 exchange houses and you can make your own choice.

7 days a week.

Daddy might help if he has time too. A lot of guys will help you.

TL.I'm not going to walk downtown and check out the houses everyday for nothing no time for that. I normally change money once or twice a week. I use one of two places depending on the amount. For small amounts when it's just my money I go to the chino in the galeria across from Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. If I have more than 500 bucks to change (I never change that much at one time myself due to the upward trend) I go to my guy on Florida across from Galaria Pacifico.

The chino gives me a better rate but I don't trust him as much, it's in a leather shop and anybody walking through the galaria can watch you check the money which I do, every bill, every time. The guy on Florida is usually .1 behind the chino but it's a private office. I've stopped checking him for the most part and would be very surprised if he ever passed me fake money.

I'll try and remember to post here the day before I go and anybody who wishes may come along. (no charge, but an offer of a coffee is rarely turned down) If you want me to make a special trip with you I'll do it for 50 bucks an hour. (US) Yeah that's way too much fucking money to do this but don't give me any shit about it, I really don't want to do it so if I have to drag my ass out of the house to accomodate you it will cost you an arm and a leg.

TejanoLibre
05-03-13, 15:03
I'm not going to walk downtown and check out the houses everyday for nothing no time for that. I normally change money once or twice a week. I use one of two places depending on the amount. For small amounts when it's just my money I go to the chino in the galeria across from Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. If I have more than 500 bucks to change (I never change that much at one time myself due to the upward trend) I go to my guy on Florida across from Galaria Pacifico.

The chino gives me a better rate but I don't trust him as much, it's in a leather shop and anybody walking through the galaria can watch you check the money which I do, every bill, every time. The guy on Florida is usually .1 behind the chino but it's a private office. I've stopped checking him for the most part and would be very surprised if he ever passed me fake money.

I'll try and remember to post here the day before I go and anybody who wishes may come along. (no charge, but an offer of a coffee is rarely turned down) If you want me to make a special trip with you I'll do it for 50 bucks an hour. (US) Yeah that's way too much fucking money to do this but don't give me any shit about it, I really don't want to do it so if I have to drag my ass out of the house to accomodate you it will cost you an arm and a leg.I'll do it for $49.00 !

Joking but sounds good!

I usually go about 4 days a week and it's just down the street so it's no big deal.

TL.

Told you somebody here is usually willing to help out one of the Boys!

Damman
05-03-13, 15:28
Two jars of Jiffy peanut butter will get you about anything you wish from these two guys. Throw in a pound or two of coffee and the world is yours.

HappyGoLucky
05-03-13, 15:42
9.35 today for $1000, ($100 bills).

Gandolf50
05-03-13, 16:06
Two jars of Jiffy peanut butter will get you about anything you wish from these two guys. Throw in a pound or two of coffee and the world is yours.Don't forget about maple syrup!

TejanoLibre
05-03-13, 16:34
Don't forget about maple syrup!I think I know where there is a bunch of Maple Syrup and Pancake Mix! The Real Stuff and likely to want to sell it.

Maybe 80 bags of mix!

Gallons of syrup.

TL.

Chezz
05-03-13, 20:37
Got 9.40 today on Arenales, changing only $200. At the rate this is going, I cannot see changing more than a couple of Bens at a time.

Jaggar
05-04-13, 07:07
Hi Folk!

I am not sure but does Xoom allow one to receive US Dollars in BA, or do they hold you hostage to a rate below the BLUE?

Thanks in advance.

Jaggar.

TejanoLibre
05-04-13, 09:47
Hi Folk!

I am not sure but does Xoom allow one to receive US Dollars in BA, or do they hold you hostage to a rate below the BLUE?

Thanks in advance.

Jaggar.Xoom is paying $8.35 today and it's ALWAYS in Pesos. They close at 1 pm on Sat and closed all day on Sun.

M-F they close at 6 pm I think. Impossible to xoom yourself a load today. Maybe?

Uruguayan ATMs pay out in dollars, 1 to 1 .

TL.

TejanoLibre
05-04-13, 10:39
Xoom is paying $8.35 today and it's ALWAYS in Pesos. They close at 1 pm on Sat and closed all day on Sun.

M-F they close at 6 pm I think. Impossible to xoom yourself a load today. Maybe?

Uruguayan ATMs pay out in dollars, 1 to 1 .

TL.
Saturday, May 4th 2013 - 04:18 UTC

Dollar in Argentina ‘brushes’ 10 Pesos; urgent meeting of Cristina Fernandez economic cabinet

For a third consecutive day the ‘blue’ dollar which trades in Argentina’s informal market established a new record and after having brushed 10 Pesos in earlier trading finally closed Friday at 9.84 (buying price) and 9.88 (selling price) Pesos.

Banker Federico Sturzenegger, the situation is untenable.

Vice-president Amado Boudou: “speculative activities from 100 or 200.000 people”

This means the price of the greenback in Argentina’s informal market, as people flock to get rid of their local currency, has soared 44 cents in a week and the gap with the ‘official’ rate which ended trading on Friday at 5.20 Pesos selling price, has reached 90%.

“There are plenty of buyers, but people wanting to sell dollars are scarcer and scarcer. Nobody wants to get rid of the dollars in Argentina, not even tourists”, said Buenos Aires city financial quarter money traders.

“Despite the rain we’re literally flooded with demands for dollars and we have been forced to work on weekends. Because of inflation, people collect their salaries and rush to turn them into foreign currency”, added the money traders.

“The blue keeps increasing because it’s the lifesaver for those wanting to get out of Pesos” said Javier Gonzalez Fraga, a former president from the Argentine Central bank.

With the latest advance, the ‘blue’ dollar in Argentina has ballooned 44.49% since the beginning of the year, while the official rate has only increased 5.5%. The rush on the dollar is reflected in the Central bank’s international reserves which lost 911 million last month and now stand at 39.535 billion, which is the lowest in six years.

The situation called for an urgent meeting at midday convened by President Cristina Fernandez and the cabinet chief Juan Manuel Abal Medina together with Economy minister Hernan Lorenzino, Deputy minister Axel Kicillof, Domestic Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno, the president of the Central bank, Mercedes Marcó del Pont and the head of the tax revenue office Ricardo Echegaray.

Ms Marcó del Pont who was scheduled to open a central bank conference on the international crisis had to suspend her attendance and rush to Government House.

People fear the Argentine government might decide to create a two tier system with weekly or daily auctions of dollars, similar to what has been implanted in Venezuela, which also bans the holding or hoarding of US dollars.

“The government of President Cristina Fernandez has put itself into a trap, at some point it will have to do something: the mismatch between the two markets in untenable. Two more years of this and manufacturing will be devastated: Argentine industry has lost 30% to 40% of competitiveness in the last three, four years”, said Federico Sturzenegger, president of the Buenos Aires City bank.

However Vice-president and economist Amado Boudou stressed the “blue” dollar phenomenon is connected to speculative activities of “not more than 100 or 200 thousand people” while “the government works for 40 million Argentines”.

“The official foreign exchange policies aim at having an exchange rate which is competitive for exports but also inclusive for consumption,” he added.

“Some may want a higher exchange rate, others a lower one, but the government must work for 40 million Argentines” Boudou added. He said “prices are not raised by the government” and defended the “controls” President Cristina Fernández is implementing to “look after the people’s pockets.”

Likewise lawmaker Roberto Feletti from the ruling coalition admitted the government is having trouble offering options to promote Peso savings.

“We are in a process toward the promotion of Peso savings with different instruments we are having trouble putting forward,” the former Economy Deputy minister added.

Referring to the ‘rush’ on the dollar he said that according to Central Bank figures, in 2011, “when the exchange market was open, only 12% of the population had dollar savings”.

Feletti questioned some business groups that “seek an abrupt devaluation to benefit their businesses”. He added “they are putting pressure on the government to destabilize it and force an exit”.Looking Bad!

TL.

Jaggar
05-05-13, 21:53
Tejano Libre, you share valuable advice with newbies like me.

I plan on doing something nice for TL when arriving and urge fellow members here to also show TL some gratitude when arriving.

(Otherwise this source may be lost).

Tejano Libre, do you advise xooming to a Uruguay bank funds? If so...

1. How long a travel from BA to Uruguayan bank of choice?

2. How much willxooomoffer per day (USD) ?

Later,

Jaggar

TejanoLibre
05-06-13, 11:20
Tejano Libre, you share valuable advice with newbies like me.

I plan on doing something nice for TL when arriving and urge fellow members here to also show TL some gratitude when arriving.

(Otherwise this source may be lost).

Tejano Libre, do you advise xooming to a Uruguay bank funds? If so...

1. How long a travel from BA to Uruguayan bank of choice?

2. How much willxooomoffer per day (USD) ?

Later,

JaggarXoom yourself less than $2999.99 DOLLARS per day and pick-it up in Colonia, Uruguay.

The current exchange rate , as we speak is, $200.00 u$d the equal $3702.00 pesos but my thoughts are for you to use an American Banking Card that has affiliates in Uruguay so you just stick in the card and yank out dollars at 1 to 1 . Close enough.

The Hover Craft, actually Catamaran can get you there in a long hour but then you have to kill time for the day! Take a Chica so she can bring back a few stacks for you too; just keep them chained to your dick.

Or take me I'm bored !

So Uruguay is 1 to 1 but if you bring dollars to BA you may get 10 to one soon!

Keep in touch.

TL.

MataHari
05-06-13, 14:54
Staying 20 km away from Buenos Aires, I asked my host how to change my dollars. He phoned a guy who delivered the pesos within one hour at 9.80 for a dollar against 9.81 on blue dollars websites. Quick, fairly safe and excellent rate.

Gandolf50
05-06-13, 16:33
If any one knows any one (most likely a Argentino) who needs dollars some where "outside" for pesos here (Buenos Aires) send me a PM. Thanks.

TejanoLibre
05-07-13, 13:46
If any one knows any one (most likely a Argentino) who needs dollars some where "outside" for pesos here (Buenos Aires) send me a PM. Thanks.

Bad Idea ! 12345 1

Gandolf50
05-07-13, 18:47
Bad Idea ! 12345 1Actually its a great idea, I have been doing it for a while now. They pay over the going rate if they need the money and you can put it where they need it. My problem is my current "clients" don't need any dollars right now.

Fun Pete
05-08-13, 01:47
I was wondering, any chance to get the blue rate at Ezeiza airport upon arrival?

Thanks!

Joe 23
05-08-13, 01:51
I was wondering, any chance to get the blue rate at Ezeiza airport upon arrival?

Thanks!No way, as far as I know.

TejanoLibre
05-08-13, 03:11

Thanks!Maybe if someone is stuck with a bunch of toilet paper on the way out?

TL.

Fred will have some to spare !

On another note (s) a friend of ours has about 150k in dollars per month that he needs to convert.

PM me .

Chezz
05-08-13, 18:35
Received 9.80 today on Arenales, changing $200 USD.

Thomaso276
05-08-13, 23:36
Any regulars who personally know me, who have some greenbacks left over from a trip or are coming down and can bring some please PM me. Thanks.

Sleeper
05-12-13, 18:17
I apologize profusely in advance if this has been answered already, but I haven't found a post with a clear-cut answer yet.

I'm extending my trip to Buenos Aires by six months, and I need to get dollars from my US account. Since I will be going to Colonia to renew my visa, I plan on picking up dollars there.

The problem is that my credit union severely limits what I can take out of an ATM daily.

Is it possible to wire dollars to a bank and withdraw them? Or use something Western Union? Or will the money automatically be converted to Uruguayan Pesos?

There's some talk about using xoom in the forums, but I'd rather stick to traditional methods and companies with a solid reputation. However if xoom turns out to be the best option, I would open to using it.

And if anyone has any other ideas on how to get dollars from my account to Uruguay, I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Don B
05-12-13, 18:21
I apologize profusely in advance if this has been answered already, but I haven't found a post with a clear-cut answer yet.

I'm extending my trip to Buenos Aires by six months, and I need to get dollars from my US account. Since I will be going to Colonia to renew my visa, I plan on picking up dollars there.

The problem is that my credit union severely limits what I can take out of an ATM daily.

Is it possible to wire dollars to a bank and withdraw them? Or use something Western Union? Or will the money automatically be converted to Uruguayan Pesos?

There's some talk about using xoom in the forums, but I'd rather stick to traditional methods and companies with a solid reputation. However if xoom turns out to be the best option, I would open to using it.

And if anyone has any other ideas on how to get dollars from my account to Uruguay, I would like to hear them. Thanks.Have you asked your credit union for special treatment? Once upon a time my bank allowed me to take out $2000/ day.

Don B.

Gandolf50
05-13-13, 06:05

And if anyone has any other ideas on how to get dollars from my account to Uruguay, I would like to hear them. Thanks.Just go into the bank and take out a cash advance on your card from a teller.

Sleeper
05-13-13, 16:03
I just got 9.0 there. I was going to exchange USD 1,000, but ended up changing only 200 as I figure one might do better elsewhere.

Looks like Moreno shook these guys up a little; recently I got 9.1 when the published rate was lower. I'm guessing this will all change soon, though.

Canardly
05-13-13, 17:39
http://www.dolarblue.net

Quotation on dolarblue.net is still 10.03 on the ask, unchanged since Friday afternoon although the liquidacion (for international money transfer via ADRs) dropped 11 centavos.

Looks like the cuevas are cooperating with the government and holding back a little, therefore street spreads may widen until volume comes back.

Don B
05-13-13, 19:21
Got 9.2 for $300 at Dalman today. He offered 9.1 for $200 but bumped it up for $300.

Don B.

Santa
05-13-13, 22:41
Got 9.2 for $300 at Dalman today. He offered 9.1 for $200 but bumped it up for $300.

Don B.No ideal whether this is true or not.

They stopped issuing US dollars in the Uruguayan ATMs about two weeks ago.

Had this confirmed at HSBC Uruguay.

Damman
05-13-13, 23:17

COMPRA = 9,300.

VENTA = 9,340.

Thanks,

JacksonThis piece kind of addresses your question. Rough translation:

If we accept the idea that the free dollar market moves $30 USD million a day this would generate some $102,000 USD per day in commissions (the average spread buying / selling since January 2012 is 0.34% or income before costs $34 USD for each of those intermediaries. This figure ($714 USD per month) is clearly insufficient to maintain brokerage simpler structure, so that the volume should be significantly larger market (a market of $75 million per day USD mean income before expenses $1,761 USD per month per agent).

http://www.cronista.com/economiapolitica/El-origen-del-blanqueo-el-mercado-del-blue-es-mayor-a-lo-estimado-20130513-0027.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.cronista.com/economiapolitica/El-origen-del-blanqueo-el-mercado-del-blue-es-mayor-a-lo-estimado-20130513-0027.html&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8