PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Canardly
05-14-13, 01:43
Bear in mind that this is an "informal" transaction.

Maybe the types of razor thin spreads quoted are representative of million dollar transactions between dealers but in practice, for typical transactions the spreads are rather higher.

The excellent article posted by Damman shows, for me, the danger of using unreliable source data and drawing unwarranted conclusions therefrom.

Damman
05-14-13, 02:01
Cannot help but believe the Government and / or its cronies are the big purchasers in this blue market. They sure as hell cannot print US dollars, but pesos they can print. Easy swap if your in the inner circle. No questions ever asked.

Daddy Rulz
05-14-13, 13:55
Dollar blue has it down to 9.3.

Don B
05-14-13, 14:59
Dollar blue has it down to 9.3.Could be the latest Federal Reserve Report.

I could find the site I read about the change from the previous one but the gist is there were only six words changed.

Essentially the Fed has now admitted in writing that fiscal policy hampers growth. Who would have thought that?

Don B.

Joe 23
05-14-13, 18:47
Dollar blue has it down to 9.3.The blue market is almost frozen because Guillermo Moreno put pressure on two of the most influential executives in the exchange market, according to the BA Herald. The official rate moved up half a centavo today.

Seems that the government wants to keep the blue within twice the official and this has so far worked for two days, but we still have to see if it can continue.

MataHari
05-16-13, 22:24
Hey guys,

For anybody interested, since I m leaving the country, I m exchanging 2000 pesos (me) for 200 USD (you). Send me a pm if interested.

Daddy Rulz
05-17-13, 12:31
Hey guys,

For anybody interested, since I m leaving the country, I m exchanging 2000 pesos (me) for 200 USD (you). Send me a pm if interested.I'll take them.

MataHari
05-17-13, 14:08
I'll take them.Sorry guys, Thomaso shot the first so he got the deal...

Daddy Rulz
05-17-13, 15:10
Are we going to end up with yet a third market?

There is the "official" rate 5. Whatever.

Now due, I understand to Gov pressure (though I wonder if somebody didn't release some dollars into the market to create a glut) the blue rate is in free fall, based on Dollar Blue I expect to get around 8.1-8.2 today but haven't changed so I don't know what it will be.

Will there now emerge a "Puce", or maybe "Vermillion" market to again trade freely.

I for one am taking my lumps, trading a couple hundred today at whatever I can get then hunkering down and hording the rest until the silly season passes.

Daddy Rulz
05-17-13, 19:00
I got 8.7 for 200 at my chino.

Brock67
05-17-13, 20:51
I got 8.7 for 200 at my chino.8.6 for 40 USD (yes, forty) on Florida w / Lavalle.

10.6 for 10 EUR.

I don't pretend to understand...

TejanoLibre
05-17-13, 21:35
I got 8.7 for 200 at my chino.

$8.70 today at the place next door to La Mad.

Told me the peso is freaking out!

You did well.

10 to 1 yesterday was awful unless he's thinking long.

Very Long!

Realize that Chicas that were 940 yesterday are not going to be 870 now . And worse !

TL.

Carlos Pellegrini 787.

Turismo Dalman.

Drop Tejano Libre's name for best rate.

I hope! I Think?

It's close enough and easy to find but it's closed on Sat. And Sun. And closes at 5:30 pm on the other days.

FAKE PESO ALLERT :

A counterfeit ring was busted in BA today with 172k in fake bills , new and old hundreds .

1 counterfeiter and 3 buyers that bought them for .23 and sold them on the "Street" for ?

23 peso hundreds.

TL

MataHari
05-18-13, 00:17
10 to 1 yesterday was awful unless he's thinking long.

Very Long!

Realize that Chicas that were 940 yesterday are not going to be 870 now . And worse !

TL.
I m not investing, TL, I m leaving the country for a few month and cashing out. Bought the pesos at 9.80 last week and didn't want to make a lame 20 dollars profit on a forum member. Didn't want to bother with small notes as well so rounded it up to 10. Cold temperatures in a big town always remind me of Christmas time; o).

Thanks for the café and the interesting informations, Tomaso!

PS : meanwhile take care with dollar calls in the microcentro, there are some police officers in disguise in the lot. Only trade with verified sources. My home delivery guy got caught yesterday and lost a serious bunch of dollars. The sneaky pressure should last for two weeks in order to discourage speculation and control the bubble.

Silver Star
05-18-13, 22:53
I m not investing, TL, I m leaving the country for a few month and cashing out. Bought the pesos at 9.80 last week and didn't want to make a lame 20 dollars profit on a forum member. Didn't want to bother with small notes as well so rounded it up to 10. Cold temperatures in a big town always remind me of Christmas time; o).

Thanks for the café and the interesting informations, Tomaso!

PS : meanwhile take care with dollar calls in the microcentro, there are some police officers in disguise in the lot. Only trade with verified sources. My home delivery guy got caught yesterday and lost a serious bunch of dollars. The sneaky pressure should last for two weeks in order to discourage speculation and control the bubble.How did he get caught? And wad he arrested and booked?

MataHari
05-19-13, 04:53
And wad he arrested and booked?They caught the network (5 people) after an investigation and he got his colleage got trapped by an inspector in disguise. 60 k dollars were confiscated and the fine represents 3 times the dollars found (180 k). We didn't ask too many details to respect his privacy and pain.

This is just an illustration of the pressure the government is putting on the market.

Don B
05-19-13, 11:17
They caught the network (5 people) after an investigation and he got his colleage got trapped by an inspector in disguise. 60 k dollars were confiscated and the fine represents 3 times the dollars found (180 k). We didn't ask too many details to respect his privacy and pain.

This is just an illustration of the pressure the government is putting on the market.Our statists, WT69, et al, who always change at the official rate, are certainly applauding the government doing its job.

Get rid of the free market, state control over all.

Don B.

AllIWantIsLove
05-20-13, 02:55
How about these guys who operate out in the open (like Scalabrini Ortiz why Cerviño)? Are they being hassled? (Let me guess. The answer is that you have a choice. You can pay the bribes or you can pay the fines. Right?

Bob.

Sleeper
05-20-13, 14:38
How about these guys who operate out in the open (like Scalabrini Ortiz why Cerviño)? Are they being hassled? (Let me guess. The answer is that you have a choice. You can pay the bribes or you can pay the fines. Right?

Bob.I just went there and exchanged at 8.6. There was a cop (PFA) on the corner, and I didn't realize that he followed me in until I was making the transaction. My 'oh fuck' meter shot up, but then I suppose I should have been more concerned about AFIP agents. As it turns out, he just started chatting with the guy behind the other window. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

TejanoLibre
05-21-13, 23:17
I just went there and exchanged at 8.6. There was a cop (PFA) on the corner, and I didn't realize that he followed me in until I was making the transaction. My 'oh fuck' meter shot up, but then I suppose I should have been more concerned about AFIP agents. As it turns out, he just started chatting with the guy behind the other window. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.Someone told me on the street that the "arbolitos" were down to 8.40 and I know that Xoom is catching up at 8.10 !

Is it still a good idea to stuff your mattresses?

Keep the green?

TL.

Don B
05-21-13, 23:39
Someone told me on the street that the "arbolitos" were down to 8.40 and I know that Xoom is catching up at 8.10 !

Keep the green?

TL.8.4 today at Dalman, he was quite apologetic.

Don be.

Gandolf50
05-22-13, 00:01
Someone told me on the street that the "arbolitos" were down to 8.40 and I know that Xoom is catching up at 8.10 !

Keep the green?

TL.More then a few people I have talked to think this will last from 2 to 4 weeks and then it is expected to continue upwards. So yes, if you can afford to hold out for a while it is probably a good idea. Several economists are predicting some where between 11 and 13 to 1 unless the government changes its policies.

Tres3
05-22-13, 10:45
I went to Colonia yesterday (Tuesday) to get dollars from an ATM machine. There are two REDS (Networks), REDBROU and BANRED. I found three banks on the main street of Colonia (the same street as city hall). Two banks use BANRED for their ATMs. They are BBVA and Banco Comercial. The bank using REDBROU is Banco de La Nacion.

Regardless of the network that you use, there is a $1000.00 per day limit on withdrawals using FOREIGN ATM cards. BANRED has a $300.00 per transaction limit and a $6.00 per transaction ATM fee. Unless you use an ATM card that is fee less or rebates the fees, the fees add up pretty fast. I use a Schwab card, so I do not care about the fees. I got all of my dollars at BBVA, as they had the shortest line. Banco Comercial had a very long line, but also had a nice Ice Cream shop next door.

REDBROU appears to not have the $300.00 per transaction limit, but the ATM machine was not working. I went twice, about two hours apart and got the same "Bajo Mantainamiento" message.

Colonia is a nice, small town, but if you have a good source of "blue" currency, Argentina, is cheaper. The ferry, with taxes and fees cost $354 pesos, plus the taxi to and from the ferry terminal.

Tres3.

Aqualung
05-24-13, 05:37
Banco Comercial had a very long line, but also had a nice Ice Cream shop next door.

Tres3.Thanks for a very informative post in general but the part I picked must be the post of the month! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah I loved it!

Jackson
05-30-13, 16:24
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 1 pm I exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at $8.70.

Just before I left to exchange my cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.78 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.89 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.87 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.87 venta

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Rate = $8.85

Rate Actually Received = $8.70

Discount from Average Rate = -1.70% (x .983)

You're welcome.

Jackson

DavieW
06-04-13, 08:11
Damnit!

Have to pay my rent today (6 months) so had no choice but to change yesterday. I'd called late on Friday and been quoted 8.7, but it had dropped again by midday yesterday and I got 8.56 (changing USD3000). I checked a couple of places on Florida on the way and was offered 8.3/8.4. The old Western Union place at Lavalle / Florida offered 8.5.

Really shouldn't complain, but it smarts a bit to be 4,500 pesos down from the peak of a couple of weeks ago!

Sleeper
06-05-13, 10:13
Damnit!

Have to pay my rent today (6 months) so had no choice but to change yesterday. I'd called late on Friday and been quoted 8.7, but it had dropped again by midday yesterday and I got 8.56 (changing USD3000). I checked a couple of places on Florida on the way and was offered 8.3/8.4. The old Western Union place at Lavalle / Florida offered 8.5.

Really shouldn't complain, but it smarts a bit to be 4,500 pesos down from the peak of a couple of weeks ago!I wouldn't be surprised if this continues for a while. My tinfoil hat guess is that the real value of the dollar is much higher, and Moreno and Co. are paying that rate for dollars, if not higher, with an accord with the cuevistas that they don't dish out too many pesos for the dollars coming in. It's would be a short-term win-win for the cuevas and the K regime, who have proven time and again not to think beyond a couple of months.

Kurty
06-05-13, 11:20
Does anyone know of a good exchange place (good rate, reliable), close (walking) to the Hilton Puerto Madero?

Thanks a bunch.

TejanoLibre
06-05-13, 14:01
Does anyone know of a good exchange place (good rate, reliable), close (walking) to the Hilton Puerto Madero?

Thanks a bunch.You really want to walk with a pocket full of cash?

I personally don't know of anything near The Hilton but there are about 25 of them on Lavalle and Florida or on Lavalle between Carlos Pellegrini and florida.

About 16 uphill blocks from you, give or take.

Corner of Carlos Pellegrini and Cordoba right next door to La Madelein. (Pellegrini 787).

Tourist Trap Shop and Long Distance Travel Bus Company called Turismo Dalman has been a good enough rate lately for a bunch of us.

Call them:

5. 031. 8008 and ask for "Cambio", tell them El Tejano Loco sent you and let's us know what the rate is .

Thanks,

TL.

Across the street from Excedra.

Jackson
06-05-13, 17:59
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm I exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at $8.35.

Just before I left to exchange my cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.55 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.55 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.55 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.52 venta

Average Rate = $8.54

Rate Actually Received = $8.35

Discount from Average Rate = -2.20% (x .978)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Poker
06-05-13, 20:45
Jackson,

Everyone has to make a living, even a black marketeer! It has been my experience that the established houses pay 20-25 peso-cents less than the published rate.

So if you exchanged $1000 they made on you 200 pesos, for which they had to pay rent and for the cop that is in front of the store all day long.

Only in Argentina you can find a cop securing a so called "illegal joint" for the safety of the costumers that are actually breaking the law.

By the way, to demonstrate how fair the charge is in comparing it to the legal fees elsewhere. I just went by an exchange booth in Europe.

The rate on the newspaper was 1.29 for the Dollar against the Euro. The asking price at the booth 1.45Dollar per Euro, that would have been a cost of US$160 to exchange a $1000 that you exchanged today. Or like 1300 pesos in the exchange rate you got today. That is 650% more than you paid. by the way before I left to Europe I changed my Dollars at a store in NYC the exchange rate was 1.31 Dollar for Euro.

Today at approximately 4 pm I exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at $8.35.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.55 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.55 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.55 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.52 venta

Average Rate = $8.54

Rate Actually Received = $8.35

Discount from Average Rate = -2.20% (x .978)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Jackson
06-05-13, 20:52
Jackson,

Everyone has to make a living, even a black marketeer! It has been my experience that the established houses pay 20-25 peso-cents less than the published rate.

So if you exchanged $1000 they made on you 20 pesos, for which they had to pay rent and for the cop that is in front of the store all day long.

Only in Argentina you can find a cop securing a so called "illegal joint" for the safety of the costumers that are actually breaking the law.Hey Poker,

I'm not complaining about the difference between the published rates and the actual rates. Of course the exchange houses need to make a profit.

I'm only interested in establishing the average difference between the published rates and the actual "over-the-counter" rates because I find myself constantly a position wherein I am exchanging cash as a favor for friends who sometimes they think that I should be giving them the published rate because that's what they saw on the websites.

In other words, I get tired of having to explain to them that if I do them a favor and agree to sell them some of my pesos (for example, to get them through the weekend until the exchanges are open) that I can't give them the published rate because the next day when I go to the exchange house to replace the pesos I sold to them, that I'm not going to get the published rate either.

Now, back to the research.

Thanks,

Jackson.

P.S.: I would appreciate anyone else who is willing to assist in this endeavor.

Tres3
06-06-13, 01:49
Hey Poker,
I'm not complaining about the difference between the published rates and the actual rates. Of course the exchange houses need to make a profit.
I am exchanging cash as a favor for friends who sometimes they think that I should be giving them the published rate because that's what they saw on the websites.

My take is that Jackson, or anyone else that is exchanging money, is not only doing a "friend" a favor, but in so doing is breaking the law twice. The first time was when he changed the money with the cueva, and the second time was when he did the "friend" a favor. If the "friend" does not like the exchange rate received, the "friend" is free to find an open cueva and make the exchange himself. If he does not like that alternative, the "friend" can pound sand, and take the "official rate".

Tres3.

Poker
06-06-13, 03:13
For the past 9 months the blue houses paid about 20-25 peso-cents less than the published rates, sometimes if you change over US $3,000 you can get 5 or 10 cents better.

The blue rate is subject to abrupt movements and if someone changes Dollars over the weekend, he might see 15 or even 30 cents difference by the time the store opens on Monday.

The government of Argentina plays a major role in this blue market and for example; two, or three weeks ago shut it down for several days. Once it reached 10 pesos per Dollar, they sold millions of Government Dollars to bring it back down to the 8.5 area.

DavieW
06-07-13, 04:41
A brief history of the USD exchange rate since May 2007 (when I came to live here), based mainly on postings in this thread.

May 2007 - 3.10.

May 2008 - 3.24.

May 2009 - 3.75.

May 2010 - 3.90.

May 2011 - 4.15.

Oct 2011 - 4.37 - Government imposes restrictions on buying dollars, the cuevas are shut down and we start talking more and more about the 'blue' dollar. (At this point the difference between the official and 'blue' rate is about 20 centavos).

May 2012 - 4.92 - After a brief, holiday induced blip up to 5.05 in mid-Jan.

Jun 2012 - 5.50 - The cuevas are shut down again.

Sep 2012 - 6.15 - Jul / Aug / Sep was crazy time. Blips at 6.50 in Jul, before dropping back down to 6.15.

Oct 2012 - 6.20.

Nov 2012 - 6.30.

Dec 2012 - 6.40.

Jan 2013 - 7.50.

Feb 2013 - 7.60.

Mar 2013 - 8.20 - Government demands a drop in the blue dollar rate. Drops very briefly to 8.10 and then starts to rocket!

Apr 2013 - 8.97.

02 May 2013 - 9.30.

03 May 2013 - 9.40.

08 May 2013 - 9.80 - There are reports of 10+, but nobody reliable appears to have been lucky enough to actually exchange at those dizzy heights.

13 May 2013 - 9.00 - 'blanqueo' becomes a dirty word and a government amnesty is introduced to allow 'dirty' USD to be repatriated.

17 May 2013 - 8.70.

20 May 2013 - 8.60.

21 May 2013 - 8.40.

30 May 2013 - 8.70.

04 Jun 2013 - 8.50.

05 Jun 2013 - 8.35.

Sleeper
06-07-13, 11:01
The government of Argentina plays a major role in this blue market and for example; two, or three weeks ago shut it down for several days. Once it reached 10 pesos per Dollar, they sold millions of Government Dollars to bring it back down to the 8.5 area.You mean they sold the dollars to the cueva execs? Not that I am doubting you, but do you have a source for this? To me it seems that the mechanisms behind the drop in price have generally been regarded as a mystery, and I'd like more information on it.

Poker
06-07-13, 12:20
It is a common knowledge that most countries that experience black market foreign exchange system, do so with the government knowledge and the government manipulates it as an integral part of foriegn exchange policy.

In the first place there is a policeman in front of the exchange house. Second, if you and me know the address of the exchange house, so is the government.

Third I talked to one of the guys at the store after the recent slide from 10+ to 8.5 and asked him what happened. His answer; "its all the government".

Fourth; the presidenta issued an official statement on Thursday that everyone who changes pesos for Dollars will lose. Then on Friday she closed the exchange houses.

And the Peso was reaching 14 or 15 in Colonia, Uruguay. So when they opened the blue markets again on Tuesday and Wed the government just sold millions of Dollars and started the process of bringing it back to what is acceptable to them.

In Argentina they have a big tax on Credit Cards purchases abroad and almost all non essential imports are either very expensive, or not allowed.

Being semi Communist, the president tries all the methods that failed so many times before. As a result while almost all of the better economies in South America experienced gains against the Dollar, Argentina is on a never ending path of devaluations and inflation.

Sorcerer
06-09-13, 10:18
I'm coming to Buenos Aires next week and I'm confused. I see exchange rates in this thread in the 8+ range. When I look at online currency converters I see.

1,000.00 USD = 5,299.00 ARS.

US Dollar ↔ Argentine Peso.

1 USD = 5.29900 ARS 1 ARS = 0.188715 USD.

Member #4112
06-09-13, 11:16
The difference is the official rate you see on the currency exchanges of 5.2 and the "blue dollar" rate of 8+ you get from the local "black market" exchanges in the country.

Poker
06-09-13, 12:07
Bellow is an article published the other day in the Buenos aires Herald. It is according to well placed sources coming as a direct results of the Argentinian Government.

Failure to control the so called Blue Market through other means (ie; selling the Government Dollars into the blue market trying to lower the Dollar).

Friday, June 7, 2013.

Fears of gov't control paralyze dollar informal market.

The dollar informal market was paralyzed today with no transactions registered amid fears of controls from the government. Meanwhile, the US dollar remained unchanged today at exchange offices at a selling price of 5.31 pesos after rising two cents this week.

The black market dollar ended two cents up at 8.57 pesos.

Sorcerer
06-09-13, 12:14
The difference is the official rate you see on the currency exchanges of 5.2 and the "blue dollar" rate of 8+ you get from the local "black market" exchanges in the country.Thanks. So is there a "safe way" to get Blue Market currency. How do I find these places. I assume I would also need "hard currency" "large denomination US bills" I.e. $20 $50 $100.

Kamikaze
06-09-13, 12:44
Thanks. So is there a "safe way" to get Blue Market currency. How do I find these places. I assume I would also need "hard currency" "large denomination US bills" I.e. $20 $50 $100.You want to bring $100 bills. You will get a lower rate for 20's and 50's. If you look through this thread you will find several places listed. The place on Florida & Lavalle with the Western Union sign is popular. If you are nervous about going yourself the first time try and make a friend with someone who lives there. Check the section where people are requesting things from the USA. Someone might take time out of their day to meet up with you and take you to one for a jar of peanut butter. Check your bills before you leave (watermark, reflective silver strip) to make sure they don't slip you some counterfeits. It's all pretty painless.

Gandolf50
06-09-13, 13:32
You want to bring $100 bills. You will get a lower rate for 20's and 50's. If you look through this thread you will find several places listed. The place on Florida & Lavalle with the Western Union sign is popular. If you are nervous about going yourself the first time try and make a friend with someone who lives there. Check the section where people are requesting things from the USA. Someone might take time out of their day to meet up with you and take you to one for a jar of peanut butter. Check your bills before you leave (watermark, reflective silver strip) to make sure they don't slip you some counterfeits. It's all pretty painless.Also try to bring clean bills, many places will try to discount dirty, old or written on bills.

TejanoLibre
06-09-13, 16:07
You want to bring $100 bills. You will get a lower rate for 20's and 50's. If you look through this thread you will find several places listed. The place on Florida & Lavalle with the Western Union sign is popular. If you are nervous about going yourself the first time try and make a friend with someone who lives there. Check the section where people are requesting things from the USA. Someone might take time out of their day to meet up with you and take you to one for a jar of peanut butter. Check your bills before you leave (watermark, reflective silver strip) to make sure they don't slip you some counterfeits. It's all pretty painless.I would be glad to take him there. I go about 4 times a week anyway for myself and a lot of the other guys.

One large jar of Peanut Butter is what it will cost him. American Peter Pan or Jif. Smooth.

Scorcerer, PM me if you'd like any help down here.

Thanks,

TL.

Sorcerer
06-10-13, 01:25
I'll pack some PB in my carry-on and call once I get my hotel info and exact schedule.

BTW. If I "overbuy" LOCAL currency. Is there any problem changing back to DOLLARS at the airport when I go home?

I would be glad to take him there. I go about 4 times a week anyway for myself and a lot of the other guys.

One large jar of Peanut Butter is what it will cost him. American Peter Pan or Jif. Smooth.

Scorcerer, PM me if you'd like any help down here.

Thanks,

TL.

TejanoLibre
06-10-13, 01:46
I'll pack some PB in my carry-on and call once I get my hotel info and exact schedule.

BTW. If I "overbuy" LOCAL currency. Is there any problem changing back to DOLLARS at the airport when I go home?REALLY BAD IDEA!

They may not accept, take back or exchange pesos for dollars and if they do the exchange rate will kill you!

Maybe buy your pesos at the official rate at the least! Sell you dollars at 10 to 1 ?

Help me out guys!

I'm here all the time but a lot of these Boys travel in and out of this country often so they know a lot more about it.

Your best bet is to meet up and we can exchange a normal amount and after that if you see that you may run out of pesos you can exchange again on your own if you'd like.

Better to run out of pesos!

Thanks,

TL.

Gandolf50
06-10-13, 06:42
REALLY BAD IDEA!

They may not accept, take back or exchange pesos for dollars and if they do the exchange rate will kill you!

Maybe buy your pesos at the official rate at the least! Sell you dollars at 10 to 1 ?

Help me out guys!

I'm here all the time but a lot of these Boys travel in and out of this country often so they know a lot more about it.

Your best bet is to meet up and we can exchange a normal amount and after that if you see that you may run out of pesos you can exchange again on your own if you'd like.

Better to run out of pesos!

Thanks,

TL.I don't believe any one outside of Argentina would trade pesos for dollars. The currency is worthless. Just buy in small amounts and throw away any that's left over. By this time next year there might even be a new currency. So maybe save a little bit as a keep sake? Hell, I still have cruzieros, drachmas and marks! I am thinking of using them as decoration.

Kurty
06-10-13, 10:25
If you have extra pesos. At the Airport they will NOT, let me repeat, They will NOT, exchanging it back to Dollars. Even if you want 20 pesos to 1 dollars.

Unfortunately, learned it the hard way.. And I had to spend all my left over pesos at duty free in EZE.. And buy stuff I didn't want!!

I don't believe any one outside of Argentina would trade pesos for dollars. The currency is worthless. Just buy in small amounts and throw away any that's left over. By this time next year there might even be a new currency. So maybe save a little bit as a keep sake? Hell, I still have cruzieros, drachmas and marks! I am thinking of using them as decoration.

Sorcerer
06-10-13, 13:06
If you have extra pesos. At the Airport they will NOT, let me repeat, They will NOT, exchanging it back to Dollars. Even if you want 20 pesos to 1 dollars.
Unfortunately, learned it the hard way.. And I had to spend all my left over pesos at duty free in EZE.. And buy stuff I didn't want!!Thanks for the info. Since I'll be carrying small amounts of local currency do they have ATMs for a quick refill if I need.

ALSO. Since the dollar is so valuable, is it possible to negotiate prices with the ladies in DOLLARS?

Daddy Rulz
06-10-13, 14:03
Thanks for the info. Since I'll be carrying small amounts of local currency do they have ATMs for a quick refill if I need.

ALSO. Since the dollar is so valuable, is it possible to negotiate prices with the ladies in DOLLARS?I'm just curious, are you taking the time to read anything that's ever been posted here? Every question you have asked has been talked about, deconstructed from every possible angle, and a consensus reached by the brotherhood.Bring whatever money you need in cash, clean unmarked 50 and 100 dollar bills onlyBring TL and I some peanut butter and we will take you by they hand and help you exchange money, you will recoup your PB investment many times over with the better rate we will get you, let alone not getting robbed on the way out (I'm also running out of clabbergirl baking powder, the onion rings were worth it but I need more)Feel free to use your ATM card if you don't mind getting a 30% lower rate plus paying international usage feesCarefully figure your burn rate the last three days you are here to have no left over pesos, they are worthless outside of ArgentinaNever, ever, under any circumstances negotiate with chicas in dollars, not only will you pay more but then, in accordance with the laws of chica land, so will every extranjero that comes after youI'm not normally a RTTF kind of guy but all of this stuff has been said many, many, many times before.

Joe 23
06-10-13, 16:11
Thanks for the info. Since I'll be carrying small amounts of local currency do they have ATMs for a quick refill if I need.

ALSO. Since the dollar is so valuable, is it possible to negotiate prices with the ladies in DOLLARS?This needs to be emphasized.

NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances negotiate with chicas in dollars.

Daddy Rulz
06-10-13, 16:59
The cambio at the end of the hall in the gallaria near Florida and Cordoba (next to the big cell store) is totally off my list. I used to change there because they were competitive and had a nice secure place for larger transactions but in accordance with Argentine Econ 101 have abused the relationship to the point where it's time to terminate it. Today they tried to give me 7.6 and I got 8 on 100 at my chino across from the Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. I didn't do any shopping on the 8 rate as I had other shit to do, they may be on the way out as well.

Loyalty programs just don't exist here.

Gauntlet77
06-10-13, 18:06
From this morning's BsAs Herald:

Monday, June 10,2013.

US dollar steady; black market paralyzed.

While the US dollar rate at exchange offices was unchanged at a selling price of 5.631 pesos, transactions in the informal market were paralyzed on fears of government controls after Domestic Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno's threats.

Moreno held meetings last Friday with exchange offices representatives and asked them to hold the "blue" dollar between a six to seven pesos rate.

Exchange brokers told reporters they preferred halting transactions for a few days to having their businesses closed or raided by government inspectors.

Kurty
06-10-13, 18:09
The cambio at the end of the hall in the gallaria near Florida and Cordoba (next to the big cell store) is totally off my list. I used to change there because they were competitive and had a nice secure place for larger transactions but in accordance with Argentine Econ 101 have abused the relationship to the point where it's time to terminate it. Today they tried to give me 7.6 and I got 8 on 100 at my chino across from the Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. I didn't do any shopping on the 8 rate as I had other shit to do, they may be on the way out as well.

Loyalty programs just don't exist here.I need to make 1000 US $ change on Wednesday. Is that the rate? 8 pesos? You can't get more?

Daddy Rulz
06-10-13, 18:47
I need to make 1000 US $ change on Wednesday. Is that the rate? 8 pesos? You can't get more?I didn't have time to shop it but based on recent experience that's about what I was going to get today. I may need to reshop though. I think the current trend is going to be down while they burn through all the new drug and graft money. Mondays and Fridays are always a little worse though.

Nikki
06-11-13, 12:12
I need to make 1000 US $ change on Wednesday. Is that the rate? 8 pesos? You can't get more?I can give you 8$ Send me a private message if interested. In Recoleta.

Jackson
06-12-13, 03:18
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at $8.10.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.57 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.57 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.57 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.57 venta

Average Rate = $8.57

Rate Actually Received = $8.10

Discount from Average Rate = -5.48% (x .945)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Moore
06-13-13, 02:45
Thanks everyone for the great currency information.

I have been out of Argentina for almost 2 years.

I arrive to BA on 6-July, which is a Saturday. Are the cuevas open on weekends?

I will be spending some time in the provinces, such as Mar del Plata. Are there abundant cuevas there?

Do restaurants, hotels, others accept US $ at the current blue rate? I have never paid for anything there in USD since 2001, but this seems like a very different situation.

Thanks,

Moore.

Daddy Rulz
06-13-13, 04:56
Thanks everyone for the great currency information.

I have been out of Argentina for almost 2 years.

I arrive to BA on 6-July, which is a Saturday. Are the cuevas open on weekends?

I will be spending some time in the provinces, such as Mar del Plata. Are there abundant cuevas there?

Do restaurants, hotels, others accept US $ at the current blue rate? I have never paid for anything there in USD since 2001, but this seems like a very different situation.

Thanks,

Moore.Yeah Moore they are open on the weekend but the rate is significantly lower Saturday and Sunday. I can't speak on Mar del Plata but Corrientes had ZERO cambios. You can however use Xoom in most of those places. Don't bother trying to pay in dollars, change to Pesos and use them. The rate on dollars at restos and shops remains terrible.

Welcome back,

DR.

DavieW
06-13-13, 08:46
The one time I needed to change USD in Mardel I went for a wander from my hotel and found a jewellery store, within a block, that changed at the blue rate. Directly opposite the Casino Central on the same block with with the coffee-shop on the corner that sells spectacular cakes.

Hotels will happily take your dollars. At the OFFICIAL rate!

Tres3
06-13-13, 13:50
The one time I needed to change USD in Mardel I went for a wander from my hotel and found a jewellery store, within a block, that changed at the blue rate. Directly opposite the Casino Central on the same block with with the coffee-shop on the corner that sells spectacular cakes.

Hotels will happily take your dollars. At the OFFICIAL rate!I would like to suggest that a VISITOR to BA change more blue dollars than he thinks he will need when going out of the city or before the weekend. If you have some pesos left over before going home, you can take a slight haircut by offering them on this forum to a gringo who lives here and can use the pesos. I saw a recent traveler offer 2000 pesos at 10 to 1 when the blue rate was about 8.5 to 1. I do not know how many PM offers he had, but I do know of at least two offers to exchange from frequent posters on this forum who live in BA. If you do the math, that is a better alternative than the OFFICIAL rate or the rates offered by hotels, shops, restos, ATMs, etc. As other posters have said, pesos are worthless outside of Argentina, and you cannot change back to dollars at EZE or AEP.

To give you an idea of how worthless pesos are in another country, an Argentine truck driver recently tried to pay for fuel in Chile with pesos, and the pesos would not be accepted, at any exchange rate.

Tres3.

Dickhead
06-13-13, 14:47
[Forum Complaint deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: The general posting sections of the Forum are not the place to voice your personal complaints about the Forum's rules or operating procedures. In the future, please send any complaints about the Forum to me personally by email or PM, or post them in the Comment on Forum Rules section. Thanks!

Joe 23
06-13-13, 16:21
Was 8.15 at the Western Union on Lavalle. The place is 10 minutes walk from my office.

Just across the street from my place, there's a local travel agency / souvenir shop. They quoted 8.00.

Gandolf50
06-13-13, 16:46
Was 8.15 at the Western Union on Lavalle. The place is 10 minutes walk from my office.

Just across the street from my place, there's a local travel agency / souvenir shop. They quoted 8.00.That seems to be the norm. I got 8.10 today and supposedly that was .10 more then they were paying every one else. The funny thing is, just like 3 months ago I was ecstatic to get 8 to 1. Now I'm bitching that I am only getting 8.10!

MataHari
06-17-13, 11:18
If you have some pesos left over before going home, you can take a slight haircut by offering them on this forum to a gringo who lives here and can use the pesos. I saw a recent traveler offer 2000 pesos at 10 to 1 when the blue rate was about 8.5 to 1. I do not know how many PM offers he had, but I do know of at least two offers to exchange from frequent posters on this forum who live in BA.
I offered them at 10 because I got them at that price a few days before. Now had the uptrend continued, and my offer might have looked too poor. The 2000 pesos left were due to the fact that I found a cheaper ticker to Europe than expected thanks to an online service (7 k instead of 10 k)...I wouldn't encourage anybody to convert more than needed precisely because the peso is worthless as a saving vehicule.

TejanoLibre
06-21-13, 21:34
Walked around Lavalle and Florida looking for "cambio" on Thursday and the rates were a bit depressing.

One idiot offered 7.40 and the next guy hit us at 7.70 while explaining that it was a National Holiday, that most places were closed and that they had all agreed to the 7.70 rate.

The money was not mine and it was only 500 dollars so we ended up at the Asian Lady's Leather Shop and she paid 7.85 .

Not sure if that's what DR would have received from her but it was good enough at that moment.

TL.

Sleeper
06-22-13, 01:54
Does anyone know whether Scalabrini Ortiz / Cervino is open on Saturday? If not, are there any places in Palermo where I could change dollars for pesos on a Saturday? I'm not sure if I'll make it through this weekend...

Thanks in advance!

DavieW
06-28-13, 15:03
Had to change USD2k today and my usual agent was closed, so had to take my chances out on the street. Offered 7.7 all along Florida, but was always heading for "Western Union" at Florida / Lavalle.

They started at 7.8, but I made the young guy tap his boss on the shoulder because I knew he'd recognize me, even though I haven't changed there regularly for 18 months. He immediately went to 7.9. I said I couldn't take less than 8 and he asked if I had clean 100's. I told him I had all new consecutive numbered bills and he gave me 8.0.

That's actually the first time in 6+ years that I've personally been asked about the denomination and condition of my bills and it's made a difference!

e2a: FYI....the blue dollar websites linked on the front page here were all saying 8.05 before I ventured out.

Member #4112
06-28-13, 17:34
DW, don't you think maybe it being Friday had something to do with the low ball rates. Going into the weekend?

Paladin
06-28-13, 17:42
The rate has been around 7.9 to 7.95 all week. I changed today at my regular place and got 7.95. I believe everyone is waiting to see what happens next week when the new monetary regs. Take effect. Moreno is trying to drive the rate back to 6-7 pesos to the dollar. Personally, I do not think the bonds for dollars program will work and the rate will clime again as winter progresses and we get closer to the elections. The INDEC stats are meaningless. The reason for the increase in retail sales volume is inflation not increased economic activity.

DavieW
06-28-13, 20:12
DW, don't you think maybe it being Friday had something to do with the low ball rates. Going into the weekend?I didn't think they were low, given recent history!

MrWoppers
06-29-13, 12:51
Anyone know where I can change some euros in Mar. Del plata? Thanks.

Hollywood124
07-09-13, 16:11
I changed USD (US Dollars) to ARS (Argentine Pesos) at a small little shop on Florida. Called "Florida City" and is located at Florida 360, local 32 (shop 32) in the Galeria Colon. I got 7.90 ARS to the USD. I used clean $100 bills with no marks, cuts, tape or "Hello Kitty" stamps. I learned throughout the world that the exchange houses are very particular when it comes to USD $100 bills. Most that I went to will not accept USD that have any type of marks, in short they want "Clean and Perfect" bills. The elderly man was quite friendly and honest. I will return.

TejanoLibre
07-21-13, 01:26
What is the latest rate?

Daddy's "Secret Asian" woman gave me 8 to 1 on Friday because they were small bills under 50 .

Maybe offered 8.25 to 1 for 50's and 100's? Did not pay attention to her since it did not matter at the moment.

The short fuck with the limp that works the street for her tried too cut his Euro Trash clients in front of me after I had waited 15 minutes for the woman to return with pesos.

Thanks,

I see her fairly often so I would like to know what the real deal is.

Old Coach
07-22-13, 18:12
Just returned from a wonderful week in BsAs. Exchanged 2000 Euros at 10.25 on Florida which made my holiday fantastic value for my money.

One steady Chica (native Porteño). Took me to the most wonderful restaurants, bars and shows that a normal tourist is not likely to discover.

My third visit in the space of one year and it gets better each time!

TejanoLibre
07-23-13, 23:42
A friend of "ours" back in Sex Prison wanted to hit the ground running when he arrived in BA so he asked his friendly banker to exchange a few bucks for Argie Pesos before he came down here.

Easy enough, safe and legit.

Our friend gave his friendly banker $5000.00 Dollars and the banker gave him $25,000.00 Pesos to spend in Argentina.

Our friend immediately lost $15,000.00 to $17,500.00 Pesos on the spot.

Fortunately after we talked a bit he decided to return the majority of the Pesos to the States. ( didn't have to talk that much ! )

Made a considerable difference on the cost of his vacation.

Bankers!

TL.

Tres3
07-24-13, 00:56
A friend of "ours" back in Sex Prison wanted to hit the ground running when he arrived in BA so he asked his friendly banker to exchange a few bucks for Argie Pesos before he came down here.

Easy enough, safe and legit.

Our friend gave his friendly banker $5000.00 Dollars and the banker gave him $25,000.00 Pesos to spend in Argentina.

Our friend immediately lost $15,000.00 to $17,500.00 Pesos on the spot.

Fortunately after we talked a bit he decided to return the majority of the Pesos to the States. ( didn't have to talk that much ! )

Made a considerable difference on the cost of his vacation.

Bankers!

TL.He is just as stupid as Zimmerman, if not more so. I hope he does not buy a pistol and obtain a concealed carry permit. His "friendly" banker gave him less than he could have gotten at EZE, not for just a few dollars, but $5,000.00 dollars. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Tres3.

Jackson
07-25-13, 16:43
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $2,000 USD for pesos at 8.45.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.60 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.58 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.58 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.58 venta

Average Rate = $8.585

Rate Actually Received = $8.45

Discount from Average Rate = -1.57% (x .9842)

You're welcome.

Jackson

DavieW
07-25-13, 19:00
USD for pesos at $8.45.
Phew, that's a relief. Happy to see it on the way back up again!

Jackson
07-29-13, 16:54
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at 8.40.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.53 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.53 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.53 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.53 venta

Average Rate = $8.53

Rate Actually Received = $8.40

Discount from Average Rate = -1.52% (x .9847)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Member #3320
08-02-13, 19:23
All of these sites are frozen with regards to the blue rate on govt order.

the site to check the rate is

www.infobae.com

Thanks

Member #3320

Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at 8.40.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.53 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.53 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.53 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.53 venta

Average Rate = $8.53

Rate Actually Received = $8.40

Discount from Average Rate = -1.52% (x .9847)

You're welcome.

Jackson

TejanoLibre
08-02-13, 22:51
all these sites are frozen with regards to the blue rate on govt order.

the site to check the rate is

www.infobae.com

Thanks

Member #3320$8.55 to $1.00 Today across the street from "X" .

Thanks,

TL.

MisterTea
08-04-13, 09:26
all these sites are frozen with regards to the blue rate on govt order.Is that because they are based in Argentina? If so, would sites basing themselves across the border and getting their info by phone work any better?

TejanoLibre
08-05-13, 03:44
$8.55 to $1.00 Today across the street from "X" .

Thanks,

TL.8.7 on Friday.

TL.

Tito1
08-05-13, 03:59
Anyone know of a good place to exchange for dolar blue in the Recoleta area? Going to be in BA for the first time on the 13th so any help would be much appreciated.

DavieW
08-07-13, 13:24
Nobody on Florida / Lavalle offering more than 8.50 yesterday (not even 'Western Union').

I got 8.60 at the agency that 'imports' my salary.....along with the news that they've upped their fee from 1% (USD100 minimum) to 2.5% (USD200 minimum). No prior warning and this just when I was getting 3 months salary at once. SHAFTED!

If anyone can point me to somewhere else that does the 'transfer your dollars into our foreign account and we'll give you the dollars here' kind of deal, it would be very much appreciated!

Thomaso276
08-07-13, 17:03
Nobody on Florida / Lavalle offering more than 8.50 yesterday (not even 'Western Union').

I got 8.60 at the agency that 'imports' my salary.....along with the news that they've upped their fee from 1% (USD100 minimum) to 2.5% (USD200 minimum). No prior warning and this just when I was getting 3 months salary at once. SHAFTED!

If anyone can point me to somewhere else that does the 'transfer your dollars into our foreign account and we'll give you the dollars here' kind of deal, it would be very much appreciated!Check your cell px messages, Tom.

Fun Pete
08-11-13, 04:48
Are there any places in Palermo or Recoleta for blue rate exchange? The only places I keep reading are on Florida?

Thanks!

Jackson
08-11-13, 15:38
Are there any places in Palermo or Recoleta for blue rate exchange? The only places I keep reading are on Florida?

Thanks!Hi Pete,

I know several places in Recoleta, but I'm not dumb enough to post their address in a public forum.

Thanks,

Jax.

Mack Dad
08-16-13, 21:03
Can anybody PM a good place in Florida (blue rate) in which they don't try to pass counterfeit bills. I got stuck with one fake bill and found out after the fact. Leaving tonight for BA.

Gandolf50
08-16-13, 21:04
I received 8.70 today out here in the boondocks. (Moreno).

Jackson
08-16-13, 21:32
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at 8.70.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $8.90 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.60 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $8.85 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $8.95 venta

Average Published Rate = $8.825

Rate Actually Received = $8.70

Discount from Average Rate = -1.42% (x .9858)

You're welcome.

Jackson

HiLife
08-17-13, 09:54
Just looking at this post.- 8.7 for you selling dollars and you buying pesos seems unrealistically high unless you are staking out some change place and doing a deal on the street with some unsuspecting old lady that needs dollars to stuff under her mattress! The reality is the larger the spread between the buy rate and the sell rate the more "retail" the deal.

When you see a small spread (between buy and sell, nothing else) this is more indicative of where the market is for transactions over $100 K. Ambito.com looks to be the most reasonable of the list. If you are the seller, you will get 10 or 15 centavos less than the lower rate (You are selling dollars but from the perspective of the dealer, you are coming to him to BUY pesos, the seller needs to make a margin too. When people go to BUY dollars they need to give the dealer the higher side of the rate... )

Now, I would love to know where I can go and get 8.70 when the market is 8.55-8.60 and the most I can get at the best places is about 8.40 or 8.45. Please PM me with those details if those deals are real, otherwise, like lots of things out there, it's just too good to be true and we need not feel bad that we didn't get that deal because it's not real.

Happy trading.

Nikki
08-17-13, 10:38
I totally believe that he got 8.70. He exchanged out of the city, and as a general rule of thumb, the further away you are frm the city, the more you will get for your dollars. In some provinces you get more than 9 per dollar.

Just looking at this post.- 8.7 for you selling dollars and you buying pesos seems unrealistically high unless you are staking out some change place and doing a deal on the street with some unsuspecting old lady that needs dollars to stuff under her mattress! The reality is the larger the spread between the buy rate and the sell rate the more "retail" the deal.

When you see a small spread (between buy and sell, nothing else) this is more indicative of where the market is for transactions over $100 K. Ambito.com looks to be the most reasonable of the list. If you are the seller, you will get 10 or 15 centavos less than the lower rate (You are selling dollars but from the perspective of the dealer, you are coming to him to BUY pesos, the seller needs to make a margin too. When people go to BUY dollars they need to give the dealer the higher side of the rate... )

Now, I would love to know where I can go and get 8.70 when the market is 8.55-8.60 and the most I can get at the best places is about 8.40 or 8.45. Please PM me with those details if those deals are real, otherwise, like lots of things out there, it's just too good to be true and we need not feel bad that we didn't get that deal because it's not real.

Happy trading.

Jimmy Boy 99
08-17-13, 13:22
I changed US $ 200 at 8.70 at the place on Florida and Lavalle on Friday.

Mack Dad
08-17-13, 14:02
I changed US $ 200 at 8.70 at the place on Florida and Lavalle on Friday.I found a place that gave me 8.7 for large bills.

DavieW
08-17-13, 14:49
Just looking at this post.- 8.7 for you selling dollars and you buying pesos seems unrealistically high...

I would love to know where I can go and get 8.70 when the market is 8.55-8.60 and the most I can get at the best places is about 8.40 or 8.45. Please PM me with those details if those deals are realHa, ha! And what do you think anyone gains on here by inventing numbers?*

People come on here to help each other, you muppet! If you bother to look a little more attentively you'll see that more often than not, people DO say exactly where they made their exchange, as well as the rate they got.

* Only once have I seen someone make nonsense claims, but he's a well-known Walter Mitty type and his word would have been taken with the pinch of salt it generally deserves.

Daddy Rulz
08-17-13, 15:21
People come on here to help each other, you muppet!Which is worse, calling somebody a muppet or a wanker?

Jackson
08-17-13, 16:39
"Muppet"? Them's fighting words in my neighborhood!

Anyway, for the record, my friend exchanged his currency with a semi-private broker in Recoleta.

Thanks,

Jax

HiLife
08-17-13, 16:42
Was there something else involved in that exchange at 8.70? That's not a straight deal, could have been other things involved in that deal? Or were all the notes good? Could you change $1000 or more at this rate or only small amounts? Did you have to buy something too? You can go to the Apple store and they will give you 7.00 if you buy a Mac from them!

It's like a 27% FX uplift on a 60% product markup. You tell me, whose getting the deal here?

Jackson
08-17-13, 16:43
Was there something else involved in that exchange at 8.70? That's not a straight deal, could have been other things involved in that deal? Or were all the notes good? Could you change $1000 or more at this rate or only small amounts? Did you have to buy something too? You can go to the Apple store and they will give you 7.00 if you buy a Mac from them!There was nothing else involved in the exchange, other than my friend does a LOT of business with this exchange every week.

I don't know if you could exchange amounts of less than $1,000 USD, but I doubt it. It's a private brokerage, not really a retail exchange. I know my friend has never exchanged anything less than $1 k, and generally more than that.

Thanks,

Jax.

Nikki
08-17-13, 16:51

Gandolf50
08-17-13, 16:58
Where I change in Moreno is a established currency exchange. Small, but there is not a lot of business here. His normal price the other day was 8.60. When I complained he gave me 8.70. I have been dealing with them for more then ten years. Sometimes they pay more then in the city, other times less. I think it depends on how badly they need the dollars.

Rock Harders
08-17-13, 16:59
Was there something else involved in that exchange at 8.70? That's not a straight deal, could have been other things involved in that deal? Or were all the notes good? Could you change $1000 or more at this rate or only small amounts? Did you have to buy something too? You can go to the Apple store and they will give you 7.00 if you buy a Mac from them!

It's like a 27% FX uplift on a 60% product markup. You tell me, whose getting the deal here?Mongers-.

This guy is having a hard time understanding because he is obviously dealing with outdated / inaccurate information. Unfortunately the Ambito website no longer accurately reflects the true cueva prices. The actual buy / sell spread at Friday's close was 8.70/8.95.

Suerte,

Rock Harders.

Tres3
08-17-13, 17:06

It's like a 27% FX uplift on a 60% product markup. You tell me, whose getting the deal here?It sounds as if you are having a case of seller's remorse. We all make less than optimum deals, but we remember that we are dealing on the illegal black market, and move on. We also remember the recent past when the blue market rate went down to 8.00 or when the official rate and blue rate were virtually the same. Stop crying over a few centavos. Ronald Reagan once said "No team ever went to the World Series with a perfect record".

Tres3.

DavieW
08-17-13, 17:51
Which is worse, calling somebody a muppet or a wanker?

Pretty much the same. But knowing what a sensitive bunch you lot are I chose the one which might sound less offensive. Ya daft cvnt!

;-)

Mack Dad
08-18-13, 10:51
The max rate is given for large bills. You show up with less then Benjamin's the rate drops. They are all over Florida and most of them are business's that are buying as many dollars as possible. I also saw people trading bit coins in the alleys for pesos. I was here back in March and was very Leary in dealing with back alley conversations. I went to a galithic bank atm Saturday night to make a 500 peso with draw. One of those bills was fake. I was so mad I got stuck with a bad bill. So I decided on this trip to roll thru a cave and change out my Benjamin's. It worked.

Daddy Rulz
08-18-13, 15:55
The max rate is given for large bills. You show up with less then Benjamin's the rate drops. They are all over Florida and most of them are business's that are buying as many dollars as possible. I also saw people trading bit coins in the alleys for pesos. I was here back in March and was very Leary in dealing with back alley conversations. I went to a galithic bank atm Saturday night to make a 500 peso with draw. One of those bills was fake. I was so mad I got stuck with a bad bill. So I decided on this trip to roll thru a cave and change out my Benjamin's. It worked.Fucking Banco Frances at Cabildo and La Croze, I was with an Argie friend of mine and we went directly inside and the manager just said "That's impossible." Bunch of bastards.

Thomaso276
08-18-13, 17:32
Fucking Banco Frances at Cabildo and La Croze, I was with an Argie friend of mine and we went directly inside and the manager just said "That's impossible." Bunch of bastards.G.

I had a problem with ATM years ao and learned that the machines are operated independently from the bank itself. Look at ATM for the name of the company (IE Banelco I think) and a phone number to make a complaint. The bank that houses the machine will not take responsibility.

Boston
08-18-13, 18:08
G.

I had a problem with ATM years ao and learned that the machines are operated independently from the bank itself. Look at ATM for the name of the company (IE Banelco I think) and a phone number to make a complaint. The bank that houses the machine will not take responsibility.Is there an advantage in dealing with 100 dollar bills?

Tres3
08-18-13, 18:24
If you have the ability, you should deal with clean, crisp 100 dollar bills. The newer, the better. That is true in most of the world, not just Argentina.

Tres3.

AllIWantIsLove
08-18-13, 22:25
Mack Dad,

I know next to nothing about bitcoin but I thought it was entirely digital and online. I don't understand how there is anything to see?

And ... What does it mean "to roll thru a cave and change out my Benjamins"? I get that Benjamins are $100 US bills. It's the "roll thru a cave" part that I don't get.

Thanks, Bob.

The max rate is given for large bills. You show up with less then Benjamin's the rate drops. They are all over Florida and most of them are business's that are buying as many dollars as possible. I also saw people trading bit coins in the alleys for pesos. I was here back in March and was very Leary in dealing with back alley conversations. I went to a galithic bank atm Saturday night to make a 500 peso with draw. One of those bills was fake. I was so mad I got stuck with a bad bill. So I decided on this trip to roll thru a cave and change out my Benjamin's. It worked.

Mack Dad
08-19-13, 22:30
Mack Dad,

I know next to nothing about bitcoin but I thought it was entirely digital and online. I don't understand how there is anything to see?

And ... What does it mean "to roll thru a cave and change out my Benjamins"? I get that Benjamin s are $100 US bills. It's the "roll thru a cave" part that I don't get.

Thanks, Bob.Google Bitcoins and you will see that its huge in BA. As far as black market aka blue rate is concerned it you can go change with a friend in BA. Only problem my known associates down there only wanted to give me 7.5. I took the chance and walked Florida and found a arbolito (tree) aka the guys yelling change change dollars, euros, Reias. You ask him what rate he is giving. If the rate is agreeable he walks you to a cueva (cave) aka side business buying dollars. The business I went was inside a shopping area and was setup as a travel agency selling tango tours. They asked how many 100 dollars bills I wanted to change. I told them 2. I received 1740 pesos. I inspected all the pesos made sure they had the red serial numbers, silver strip and water mark. The counterfeit bills tend to have the black serial numbers.

Now there are restaurants that accept dollars at black market rate but the one I went La Estancia was only giving 7.5 to pay for your meal.

I just got back from BA this weekend and at 8.7 it made this trip very affordable.

Seismo
08-20-13, 17:51
Coins- I have noticed in the past few weeks several Chinese grocery stores and Chinese buffets offering to buy coins at a 5% to 7% premium. Any ideas on why this is happening as I haven't seen a coin shortage anywhere?

MisterTea
08-21-13, 11:10
Coins- I have noticed in the past few weeks several Chinese grocery stores and Chinese buffets offering to buy coins at a 5% to 7% premium. Any ideas on why this is happening as I haven't seen a coin shortage anywhere?

Wikipedia says:

'Small denomination currency and particularly coins are sometimes difficult to come by in Argentina, especially in Buenos Aires. The problem has developed to a stage in which some shop owners will not sell items if the transaction involves giving the purchaser change in coins. It has also been exacerbated by ATMs, which tend to give out only 100 peso notes, and by bus companies, some of which will take only coins in payment and sell these at a 5–10% markup on the black market rather than depositing them at banks.[8] This situation has improved in the years following the Argentine economic crisis (1999–2002). Nowadays nearly all bus lines have a Sube (Sistema Único de Boleto Electrónico) smartcard reader, allowing passengers to pay electronically without coins.[9]'

Given that the last two sentences only seem to refer to coin hoarding by bus companies and not by others, I guess hoarding must still (or again) be taking place. Or maybe there is some valuable metal in the coins?

MisterTea
08-21-13, 11:19
They asked how many 100 dollars bills I wanted to change. I told them 2. I received 1740 pesos. I inspected all the pesos made sure they had the red serial numbers, silver strip and water mark. The counterfeit bills tend to have the black serial numbers.What is the highest-value peso bill? Wikipedia says $100 but I wondered whether that was now out-of-date what with the inflation..

Daddy Rulz
08-21-13, 13:59
What is the highest-value peso bill? Wikipedia says $100 but I wondered whether that was now out-of-date what with the inflation..Also known as Rocha's or Violetas. Though I'm sure if you wore Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and Birkenstocks with socks you could find somebody on Lavalle that would sell you some 500 or 1000 pesos notes.

DavieW
08-21-13, 21:21
Got 8.90 today, changing USD2 k.

Oddly, the web-sites clickable on the front page here were showing an unusually diverse range between 8.85 and 9.07.

MikeT
08-22-13, 02:57
Does anyone know if this place is still open for changing money?

Thanks.

Flexible Horn
08-22-13, 11:25
I'm sure if you wore Bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and Birkenstocks with socksIs that not how most Americans dress.

Jackson
08-22-13, 13:19
Is that not how most Americans dress.When you buy your clothes at the unclaimed luggage store, you get what you get.

Punter 127
08-22-13, 13:51
is that not how most americans dress.

when you buy your clothes at the unclaimed luggage store, you get what you get.ROFLMAO

Jackson, Why is the Text Cleanup changing everything in the quotes to lower case, even the names?

Daddy Rulz
08-22-13, 14:29
Is that not how most Americans dress.We picked it up from seeing pictures of Brits on vacation in Spain.

Flexible Horn
08-22-13, 14:39
We picked it up from seeing pictures of Brits on vacation in Spain.We thought after 4th July 1776 you as a nation could set your own trends. Obviously we were wrong. Forever in our shadow.

Jackson
08-22-13, 14:42
We thought after 4th July 1776 you as a nation could set your own trends. Obviously we were wrong. Forever in our shadow.At least we figured out that the beer goes in the fridge.

Flexible Horn
08-22-13, 15:35
At least we figured out that the beer goes in the fridge.NO lager goes in the fridge...beer comes from a barrel. We have been holding your hands since 1776 don't worry we won't stop guiding you.

SimpleWrangler
08-22-13, 16:08

Thanks.Too risky, as your operations are visible from the outside. They are too many people and they are organized. They can just text each other and everyone knows that a guy is the carry dollars guy. Best is to have a contact and meet in a bar, coffee shop, etc.

TejanoLibre
08-22-13, 17:06

Thanks.If it's gone there are probably 10 more that have taken it's place.

Exchanging money ANYWHERE can be risky down here. Even inside of a Bank. There are no guarantees but if you do it during the day when there are a lot of people around you then I think your chances of survival are in your favor.

The Boys that live down here full time exchange Dollars every day.

Bring a friend if you want.

There are so many businesses exchanging cash on the streets that the only thing you need to do is find the best rate.

I have been using the "Secret Asian" girl because I'm lazy but there are many more. The guy next to "La Mad" during the day is very fair and his store is on one of the busiest corners in BA. Safe!

TL.

TejanoLibre
08-23-13, 16:05

Thanks.Try This Place:

M-F till 5:45 or 6 pm.

Corner of Carlos Pellegrini and Cordoba right next door to La Madelein. (Pellegrini 787).

Tourist Trap Shop and Long Distance Travel Bus Company called Turismo Dalman has been a good enough rate lately for a bunch of us.

Update. The Store and the Sign are being renovated. Just walk in and ask for Cambio.

Call them:

5. 031.8008 and ask for "Cambio", tell them El Tejano Loco sent you and let's us know what the rate is.

Thanks,

TL.

Across the street from Excedra.

Tres3
08-24-13, 19:18
The appellate court handed Argentina its hat, and ordered the country to pay its defaulted bonds. Argentina says that they will appeal to the Supreme Court, but I will be surprised if the Supreme Court hears the case. If the Supreme Court denies certiorari, it will be game over for Argentina. It will be interesting to watch the effect on the blue dollar exchange rate.

Tres3.

Tres3
08-25-13, 11:39
From Reuters.

Argentina will continue paying bondholders on the same terms, its economy minister told state news agency Telam on Saturday, after losing an appeal in its legal battle with creditors who rejected past restructurings of the country's defaulted debt.

The 2nd USA Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a judge's order on Friday requiring Argentina pay $1.33 billion to hedge funds still fighting the country over its record sovereign debt default more than a decade ago.

"We're going to keep paying as we have until now, on the same terms," Economy Minister Hernan Lorenzino told Telam, calling the court ruling "an attempt to bring the country back to 2001.

The appeals court held off enacting its decision while the USA Supreme Court weighs whether to take up the case, bringing short-term relief to investors concerned about another default.

The 93 percent of bondholders who renegotiated debts after Argentina's $100 billion default, accepting less than 30 cents on the dollar, worry the refusal to pay holdouts in the face of court orders could freeze payment on restructured bonds as well.

Dissident bondholders led by Aurelius Capital Management and NML Capital Ltd, a unit of Paul Singer's Elliott Management Corp, are demanding payment in full. They have argued that Argentina can't deny them their due while paying investors who agreed to restructurings in 2005 and 2010.

Tres3.

Esten
08-25-13, 16:01
Some research on Paul Singer will quickly show he is nothing but a vulture capitalist, the worst of the worst, who will use his money to (try to) walk over anyone, anywhere in his quest for profits.

His modus-operandi is to buy cheap debt, and extort the situation for profit. Creating lobbying groups, making strategic political donations, and filing lawsuits as needed.

The other 93% of Argentina bondholders agreed to a deep cut, but Singer's hedge fund is demanding full payment on Argentine bonds with a face value of $630 million, claiming they are now worth $2.3 billion with accrued interest. He stands to make a huge profit, and won't back down no matter what the fallout is for other people. He did this with Peru back in 1996 too. He is certainly on solid legal ground, but on morals it is another question.

Look up the story of how Singer, backed by Mitt Romney, bought a controlling interest in a key automotive parts supplier (Delphi) for pennies on the dollar in 2009. They then threatened to withhold key parts to GM, threatening the recovery of the US automotive industry. With the help of the US government, Delphi was bought back, and Singer and Romney made huge profits (up to 3000%). But not before Singer moved much of Delphi's operations to China, sticking US taxpayers with the bill for the pensions of the Delphi workers cut loose. This is a truly sickening story, and to think Singer almost helped his buddy Romney get elected President? Vulture capitalism should not be confused with job creation.

Romney & Co Shipped Every Single Delphi UAW Job to China
http://www.gregpalast.com/romney-co-shipped-every-single-delphi-uaw-job-to-china/

Tres3
08-25-13, 17:04
. He is certainly on solid legal ground, but on morals it is another question.

What does morality have to do with the issue? USA Courts decide legal issues, not moral ones. There have been people of questionable morals throughout recorded history. Was the unilateral Argentina default morally correct? If it were, Argentina would not find the international credit markets closed.

Tres3.

Jackson
08-25-13, 17:18
Some research on Paul Singer will quickly show he is nothing but a vulture capitalist, the worst of the worst, who will use his money to (try to) walk over anyone, anywhere in his quest for profits.Only a liberal would use these words to describe someone who wants his loan repaid. And yes, I said "his loan" because he bought the bonds and thus he now owns the loan.

Creating lobbying groups, making strategic political donations, and filing lawsuits as needed.None of that would have been necessary if Argentina had repaid the bondholders as they had originally promised.

The other 93% of Argentina bondholders agreed to a deep cut...The other bondholders didn't really agree with the haircut in so much as what really happened was that the Argentina government shoved the agreement up their asses.

...but Singer's hedge fund is demanding full payment on Argentine bonds with a face value of $630 million.Incredible. Imagine the temerity of an individual expecting to be repaid his loan as originally agreed.

...and won't back down no matter what the fallout is for other people.What fallout? That the original bondholders will also have to be repaid in full? Ouch! I bet they're all pissed off at that prospect.

Look up the story of how Singer, backed by Mitt Romney, bought a controlling interest in a key automotive parts supplier (Delphi) for pennies on the dollar in 2009. They then threatened to withhold key parts to GM, threatening the recovery of the US automotive industry.Once again, only in Liberal Land would a for profit company, beholden to their shareholders, deliberately decide to stop selling their products to their #1 customer in an alleged effort to put that customer out of business. BTW, how exactly could Delphi "withhold key parts" anyway, given that GM could have contracted with other manufacturers to supply those same parts?

With the help of the US government, Delphi was bought back...When you say "With the help of the US government" you actually mean "With the help of the US taxpayer who was forced to bailout union companies whether they liked it or not."

Thomaso276
08-25-13, 19:40
Here is a link to the ruling itself. http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/08821c11-2f02-4a64-b8a5-3134521750d2/2/doc/12-105_2_opn.pdf#xml=www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/08821c11-2f02-4a64-b8a5-3134521750d2/2/hilite/

It is only 25 pages and easy enough to read. Clearly a legal ruling that the Supreme Court will not review.

Argentina agreed to all the findings when they wanted to sell the bonds. For example, they agreed that any legal issues would be settled in NY, under NY law. The ruling also binds the banks that are processing payments for the current Argie bonds, which really slam Argentina's arguments (these same arguments where heavily criticized as baloney and lacking fact) so that if the Banks pay the current bond, they also have to pay the defaulted bond, in full. Argentina may default again on their current bonds. The uniqueness of the bond as it was worded will not affect any other sovereign rights. The bonds that Arg. Sold later on and they are currently paying have different wording regarding paying and guarantees and would not have been subject to the current ruling.

Basically, Argentina signed a contract then when they did not like it changed their minds. But this bond had particular rights and guarantees that could not be changed. The legality of the contract was extended, with Argentina's express permission prior to selling the bonds, to any future owners of the bonds, therefore the vulture funds (whom I do not necessarily like) will win this case. The NY courts (especially the tough Judge Thomas Griesa, who originally handled the case) are going to be-slap Argentina for their BS.

Watch for those who settled to try and get some relief.

Gandolf50
08-26-13, 15:40
I recieved 8.90 today in Moreno.

MisterTea
08-26-13, 18:00
Watch for those who settled to try and get some relief.And if their so doing tips Argentina into default?

One day Singer might need some help from those whom he's endangering. I will laugh at that time.

Gandolf50
08-26-13, 18:07
What does morality have to do with the issue? USA Courts decide legal issues, not moral ones. There have been people of questionable morals throughout recorded history. Was the unilateral Argentina default morally correct? If it were, Argentina would not find the international credit markets closed.

Tres3.Talking about morality... The only reason this gov't is making any effort at repayment is so they can borrow more money and do what? Default again. Why should anyone give them any kind of a break?

Jackson
08-26-13, 19:30
And if their so doing tips Argentina into default?Earth to Mister Tea: Argentina is ALREADY in default.

One day Singer might need some help from those whom he's endangering. I will laugh at that time.Yea, right. Singer is going to need the Argentine government's help exactly how?

Canardly
08-26-13, 19:51
Here's today's editorial in the Herald. Good summary.

If Supreme Court will not take the case by 2014 Argentine Government will probably service Exchange Bondholders.

In dollars thru the Bank of Argentina in Buenos Aires.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/139257/sentence-without-a-full-stop

Gandolf50
08-26-13, 20:18

If Supreme Court will not take the case by 2014 Argentine Government will probably service Exchange Bondholders.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/139257/sentence-without-a-full-stopAnd break their agreement with the banks and the courts.

Mack Dad
08-26-13, 22:11
Here is a fake bill I got from an ATM machine from the Galica right next to the General San Martin subway station. The bill had the silver strip and right watermark. What gives away this bill the serial numbers font. Even my friends from there say its one hella of good counterfeit. 28849.

Esten
08-26-13, 22:42
What does morality have to do with the issue?

Morality has everything to do with the motives of a Vulture Capitalist.

Tres3
08-27-13, 01:15

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/139257/sentence-without-a-full-stopIf you read the ENTIRE ruling, the Buenos Aires Herald presents a really bad summary. The Supreme Court has issued a certiorari ruling fairly rapidly if it considers the lower court ruling to be cut and dried.

Tres3.

Tres3
08-27-13, 01:32
Morality has everything to do with the motives of a Vulture Capitalist.There are many who consider mongering immoral. Is your mongering immoral? Do you have bad motives? Morality is an independent opinion that courts in the USA do not decide. As I said before, courts decide the legality, not the morality of a law. Legislatures decide morality. If you think a law is immoral, you should talk to your elected representatives, not judges who are appointed for life in an effort by the framers of the Constitution to keep morality out of the courts.

Is making money legally immoral?

Give up on this one, because you cannot win. You are wrong.

Tres3.

AllIWantIsLove
08-27-13, 03:18
... Legislatures decide morality. ...

Tres3.It seems to me that in the US individual legislators decide how to insure their re-election. And anyway how would they decide morality when they have none?

Bob.

MisterTea
08-27-13, 12:09
Earth to Mister Tea: Argentina is ALREADY in default.No no, in default on the bonds it's currently servicing, and in default on the new arrangements (haircut) on the old bonds. That's the only use of the word here that makes any practical sense.

Yea, right. Singer is going to need the Argentine government's help exactly how?No no, not the Argentine government, but the firms who own the bonds currently being serviced. Those are the ones being endangered by Singer.

Tres3
08-27-13, 12:31
No no, in default on the bonds it's currently servicing, and in default on the new arrangements (haircut) on the old bonds. That's the only use of the word here that makes any practical sense.

No no, not the Argentine government, but the firms who own the bonds currently being serviced. Those are the ones being endangered by Singer.Read, and understand the ruling! If you do not comprehend the ruling, get someone who does to explain it to you.

Tres3.

Tres3
08-27-13, 12:43
It seems to me that in the US individual legislators decide how to insure their re-election. And anyway how would they decide morality when they have none?

Bob.I agree that most all of the legislators have no morality. That is why most of them check which way the morality wind of the voters who elected them is blowing before casting their votes. BUT, that is also why the framers of our Constitution attempted to take morality out of the equation by having an appointed federal judiciary, that is appointed for life.

Tres3.

Canardly
08-27-13, 14:03
The unique feature of the US Courts ruling is that it prohibits banks from paying interest to the Exchanged Bondholders (who agreed to take the haircut) unless Singer is paid.

This is rather extraordinary and the IMF and others may find this ruling uncomfortable.

Probably ends up in the Supreme Court sometime next year.

Tres3
08-27-13, 14:54
The unique feature of the US Courts ruling is that it prohibits banks from paying interest to the Exchanged Bondholders (who agreed to take the haircut) unless Singer is paid.

This is rather extraordinary and the IMF and others may find this ruling uncomfortable.

Probably ends up in the Supreme Court sometime next year.As I said earlier, read, and understand the entire ruling. There is nothing extraordinary about Argentina agreeing to a pari passu clause in the original bond indenture. No one held Argentina's feet to the fire. If you do not know what pari passu means, look it up. The IMF and "others" filed amicus (friend of the court) briefs, and were shot down. In other words, they can take their "discomfort" and pound sand. Argentina made the mistake of paying the Exchange Bondholders when Argentina had not received 100% of the original, defaulted bonds in the exchange, and is now trying to undo that mistake.

Here is the link that was posted earlier.

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/08821c11-2f02-4a64-b8a5-3134521750d2/2/doc/12-105_2_opn.pdf#xml=www.ca2.uscourts.gov/decisions/isysquery/08821c11-2f02-4a64-b8a5-3134521750d2/2/hilite/.

Tres3.

Canardly
08-27-13, 15:30
Tres.You're entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that absent a favorable Supreme Court ruling Argentina will honor its promises to the Exchanged Bondholders by payment in dollars in Buenos Aires.

I'm not arguing right or wrong here, just trying to cut to the chase and predict how the game will play out.

Thomaso276
08-27-13, 16:15
Tres.You're entitled to your opinion.

Mine is that absent a favorable Supreme Court ruling Argentina will honor its promises to the Exchanged Bondholders by payment in dollars in Buenos Aires.

I'm not arguing right or wrong here, just trying to cut to the chase and predict how the game will play out.Bondholders have to agree to this change, if CK changes laws this week & makes it mandatory, it will be considered a default. Laws in Arg. Restrict dollar outflows. How about those Argies holding bonds but never declared them? Who in their right mind would prefer Arg. Law over NY law when it involves debt, contracts and consistency?

Canardly
08-27-13, 16:54
Thomaso. The Exchanged Bondholders are currently being paid interest by New York Banks.

If these banks are forbidden to continue payment by the US Courts I think Argentina will try to continue paying another way. Which I suggest will be in Buenos Aires.

I expect bondholders will prefer to be paid in Buenos Aires than not to be paid at all.

Esten
08-27-13, 23:32
There are many who consider mongering immoral. Is your mongering immoral? Do you have bad motives? Morality is an independent opinion that courts in the USA do not decide. As I said before, courts decide the legality, not the morality of a law. Legislatures decide morality. If you think a law is immoral, you should talk to your elected representatives, not judges who are appointed for life in an effort by the framers of the Constitution to keep morality out of the courts.

Is making money legally immoral?

Give up on this one, because you cannot win. You are wrong.Many things in life can be moral or immoral; it depends on the way in which something is done. We all judge morality for ourselves. Using the law as a shield is no defense from this judgement. If you think the law is all that matters in life, we will have to disagree.

TejanoLibre
08-28-13, 20:34
I recieved 8.90 today in Moreno.9 to 1 on Florida yesterday and that was the "Barker" on the street which means that his boss is paying even more.

Other guys were talking about 8 and 8.5 .

Thanks,

TL.

From Santa fe to Avenida de Mayo on Florida there is someone exchanging money every 5 feet.

Same thing on Lavalle from 9 de Julio to Florida.

Just keep asking and you will find the best deal.

The "Fakes" are up to you.

One guy told me that he can buy 3 fake One Hundred Dollar Bills for $100.00 Dollars.

Shares them with somebody at an exchange house!

SimpleWrangler
08-29-13, 01:08
Exchanged at 9,5 today.

TejanoLibre
08-29-13, 02:07
Exchanged at 9,5 today.No wonder the guy on Florida started off at 9 to 1 as if it was a good deal.

Can you point us in the general direction?

If not we just have to walk a few extra blocks I guess.

Thanks,

TL.

Tres3
08-29-13, 13:08
Many things in life can be moral or immoral; it depends on the way in which something is done. We all judge morality for ourselves. Using the law as a shield is no defense from this judgement. If you think the law is all that matters in life, we will have to disagree.I did not say what I think as an individual. I only said what the USA courts rule on. There is a huge difference.

Tres3.

Jackson
08-30-13, 19:36
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at 9.05.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) = $9.50 venta

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) = $8.75 venta

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) = $9.25 venta

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) = $9.30 venta

Average Published Rate = $9.20

Rate Actually Received = $9.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.64% (x .9836)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Fun Pete
08-30-13, 20:10
Has anyone used Xoom lately to transfer funds? Here is what just happened to me:

I signed up, transferred via my bank account for cash pickup at "More. Casa Central" and it was all cleared and ready to pickup in BA 30 minutes later or so.

A few hours later I got an email the transaction had been cancelled. I called xoom to find out why, and they said it was cancelled by the cash-pickup company MORE in BA without any specific reasons? They will contact them to find out why next week and call me. Strange?

HounDog
08-30-13, 21:40
Has anyone used Xoom lately to transfer funds? Here is what just happened to me:

I signed up, transferred via my bank account for cash pickup at "More. Casa Central" and it was all cleared and ready to pickup in BA 30 minutes later or so.

A few hours later I got an email the transaction had been cancelled. I called xoom to find out why, and they said it was cancelled by the cash-pickup company MORE in BA without any specific reasons? They will contact them to find out why next week and call me. Strange?I used Xoom.com twice this month in Mendoza and once in Salta.

I usually picked up my funds within a couple of hours of receipt of.

Acknowledgement that funds are ready for pick up.

Since this was new to me in August I showed my name as the recipient.

And the Mendoza Cambio Casa's address. You should always use your.

Name as the recipient and since I've been on the road in Latin America for.

2 years I just started using my hotel address. All they want to see is my.

Passport and what the Xoom transfer I'd number is for the transaction.

Hope that helps! Oh, I got 3 of those counterfiet 100 Peso bills in with.

My last 5,000 pesos in Mendoza. Now, I have a new challenge... Getting.

Rid of them!

Houn Dog.

MisterTea
09-04-13, 14:10
Read, and understand the ruling! If you do not comprehend the ruling, get someone who does to explain it to you.What on earth makes you think I don't understand the ruling?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-27/argentina-plans-new-york-buenos-aires-bond-swap-on-singer.html

DavieW
09-04-13, 14:27
I got 9.10 yesterday at midday, changing USD1300.

The sites on here were ranging from 9.20 to 9.30.

There were more arbolitos on Florida than ordinary members of public. Where there used to be 1 or 2 per block, there's now 10 - 15. It's all gone a bit crazy down there!

Fun Pete
09-05-13, 15:45
I got 9 pesos exchanging $200 on Florida near Corrientes. There was about 20+ people screaming "cambio" and I just talked to one and decided to try. We walked for a block, went down the stairs and I gave $200 getting 1,800 P in return. I also gave the boy 20 P propina. Also many locals I know are wiling to exchange, so not to take any risk (or at least less chance of a fake bill than on Florida); they changed for me at 8.5 P to the dollar, which is fine with me.

Thomaso276
09-05-13, 18:57
I got 9 pesos exchanging $200 on Florida near Corrientes. There was about 20+ people screaming "cambio" and I just talked to one and decided to try. We walked for a block, went down the stairs and I gave $200 getting 1,800 P in return. I also gave the boy 20 P propina. Also many locals I know are wiling to exchange, so not to take any risk (or at least less chance of a fake bill than on Florida); they changed for me at 8.5 P to the dollar, which is fine with me.Sorry bro, but your argie friends are clipping you for about 1 peso. When they sell their pesos for dollars they pay the cave currently about 9.30 or more. If you have money to burn please PM me!

Fun Pete
09-05-13, 20:44
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig deal; Florida $200 at 9 = 1,800 P + 80 P taxi round trip = 1,720 P total to me. Friend comes to my place whenever I want, $200 = 1,700 P and I can trust I get no fake bills paying 20P extra. I won't change more than $200, as the rate is changing daily and more likely in my favor! Xoom.com currently exchanges at 8.3 or so plus a hefty fee yielding a net rate of about 8.0. Anyway, I am just adding my sense here, if you know locals you can trust and lose a few pesos, no problem for me.

Sorry bro, but your argie friends are clipping you for about 1 peso. When they sell their pesos for dollars they pay the cave currently about 9.30 or more. If you have money to burn please PM me!

DavieW
09-09-13, 19:50
Got 9.1 changing USD300 today at the 'Western Union' on Lavalle near Florida.

Didn't check what the rates were on here. It was a spontaneous thing.

El Queso
09-14-13, 01:03
...and I can trust I get no fake bills paying 20P extra...Just a comment. I've lived here for 7 years and have heard people talk so many times about the fear of getting fake bills on Florida pretty much ever since I've been here. As far as I can tell, it's a myth. I've never met anyone who has been screwed purposefully (I.e. A number of fake bills given) and it has never happened to me. Or, at least, I've never noticed it. Given the fact that just about everyone here examines just about every 100 pesos note given in exchange for purchases, I think I would have noticed if I've been dealt fakes before.

I have, however, gotten two fake 100 pesos in ATM machines when it was still worthwhile retrieving money directly from my bank account in the States. Two different machines, two different times.

It is one thing to try to cheat people when it can be done here. However, the guys on Florida police their own because it would be a very bad thing if suddenly they got a reputation for cheating people by handing out counterfeits. Almost all of the change guys on Florida work for the cuevas as their retail arm (be it as direct "employees" or as independent contractors who are beholden to cuevistas) and the bills they are given by the cuevas are run through counting machines and checked for authenticity.

I know this because I have a very good relationship with a local mid-level cuevista here who I do business with at least once a month, if not more, and we discuss these issues often while I'm there chatting with him about the weather and his lamenting the fate of Argentina under Peronists and faux-Peronists like Cristina.

However, I can't fault your paying 20 p extra when all expenses are said and done, just wanted to make a comment about Florida itself.

El Queso
09-14-13, 01:13
...I also gave the boy 20 P propina...I'm not insulting you for giving a tip but I need to make another comment.

I tip about 10% here when I dine out, whereas most Argentinos may tip a few pesos with no eye on the amount of the bill. Things are different here, no doubt. But waiters get paid pretty well. They are in a union and well protected in many cases. I tip because it can have a direct impact on how I get served the next time.

The guys who are working for the arbolitos (the smaller guys changing money publicly, shouting "cambio") get paid by the difference in what he agrees with you will be the rate, and the rate set by his boss who he ends up taking you to, to change the money. If the guy takes you back to a place and opens the door to an empty office, he's the boss and is making all the difference between the rate he gives you and the rate he gets when he sells his dollars to the cueva he works with.

You might get a slightly better rate if you see the same guy again, but I doubt it. Most likely he's going to try to go even lower to see what he can get away with.

In any case, 8.5 in the last few weeks put maybe 100 pesos in his pocket for your deal.

I know, 20 pesos as tip is only a gnat's ass over 2 bucks, not a great big deal. But just so you know.

Daddy Rulz
09-14-13, 02:26
I have, however, gotten two fake 100 pesos in ATM machines when it was still worthwhile retrieving money directly from my bank account in the States. Two different machines, two different times.Happened to me once as well, fucking bastards. I went right into the bank because my ex immediately spotted it as a fake. The manager looked me in the eye and said, "Impossible." Since then I've known two or three people not counting you that have experienced the same. Fucking thieves, I think they are running the fakes that must invariably show up in their stacks through the ATM machine because they can just deny it.

The other time was a waiter at Corrientes and Esmeralda, I saw it was a fake, I stopped him as he walked away and he tried to bull his way through. I stood up and told him I would stand by the register all day telling people they cheated me if he wouldn't give me another. It took ten minutes but he gave me another. That was back when 50 pesos was still a little bit of money.

I have never gotten a fakie from a cambio.

DR.

Fun Pete
09-14-13, 02:38
I like to exchange with locals who I know! You don't? No problem, go and exchange in Florida or where ever you feel like, but stop telling me I am being cheated on. I do not like Florida, I prefer to get 8.5 to the US $ from someone I know, someone who will deliver to my place whenever I want, rather than head to Florida; that is my choice! Consider the 0.7 Pesos or whatever the difference is, a service fee / tip to the local I know. I am perfectly happy with that and I don't feel being cheated on at all. And tips, yes, I leave tips whenever I like to whoever I like to, including the cambio boy; seriously, is it really worth complaining about why I left 20 P tip, a mere $2 or so? How cheap to even write about it!

Now as to anyone trying to exchange US $ to Pesos here in Buenos Aires. In Florida Street you won't miss the many people screaming cambio all the time. As of today, they will give you somewhere around 9 to 9.3 Pesos to the US $. They prefer clean $100 bills.

Many locals will also be able to help you exchange, may be not for as much as Florida, as in my case I have received about 8.6 Pesos to the $. Just ask any local you know, everyone tries to have $ these days, as the future of the peso is not very bright right now. Many stores also will exchange when you pay with US $ cash, anywhere from 7 to 8 Pesos form what I have seen, they will return the change in pesos.

Lastly, you can also use xoom.com, they will withdraw from your US bank account and you can pick up cash in Buenos Aires. Effective exchange rate considering the fees is aobut 8.1 Peso or so to the US$. The great thing is you don't need to bring all that cash.

Pick your choices and enjoy the city. And please, no more whining about my preference on exchanging money!

Thank you.

I'm not insulting you for giving a tip but I need to make another comment.

I tip about 10% here when I dine out, whereas most Argentinos may tip a few pesos with no eye on the amount of the bill. Things are different here, no doubt. But waiters get paid pretty well. They are in a union and well protected in many cases. I tip because it can have a direct impact on how I get served the next time.

El Queso
09-14-13, 03:04
I like to exchange with locals who I know! You don't? No problem, go and exchange in Florida or where ever you feel like, but stop telling me I am being cheated on...Heh. Well. Maybe you have a misunderstanding how the forum is supposed to work.

I was pointing out, to others who may be reading what you had to say, a counterpoint related to my experience here. The forum is an exchange of ideas and information and doing so is not whining. I even made sure to point out I was not trying to insult you, but rather the way things work. How you choose to perform your necessary monetary maintenance is wholy up to you.

Nowhere did I say you were being cheated. There is a difference between being cheated and being generous. If you are generous, knowing that you are indeed being generous, good for you. I think I'm a pretty generous guy, all things considered. If you are being generous because you don't know the difference and don't even care, to me that is foolish. I don't know which camp you fall into and I don't care. Let others make that decision for themselves and accept comments from people in opposition to yours, particularly if they are accurate statements and come from someone who has a lot of experience in changing money here.

You stated you gave the guy a 20 p tip, I merely pointed out for the edification of the other multitude of readers who peruse this site for information that you had already paid his salary and gave him a tip to boot. Others may not be willing to do that.

I probably should have also pointed out that if you go direct to the guy behind the desk once you've been taken there (depends on the place) instead of being taken there by a tout, you would most likely get a better deal. Of course one would need to have an idea of what the current rate should be and dicker with him (he won't give it for nothing unless you build a relationship). But one should have an idea of the price even with dealing with the tout because they'll move off their points as well, unless one is up for spending more money than necessary. The amount of effort required to save even 50 pesos (a cheap steak dinner in many parillas around the city) on an exchange like that is minimal.

I understand that such a thing does not seem to matter to you, but perhaps it will save a reader a few bucks and he will be happy. Think of me when you bite into that bife de chorizo, unnamed reader who profits from my experience!

And I do often change with locals I know, FYI, as if it mattered to you. If I need money and someone I know isn't available, I run right down to Florida, about two blocks away from my apartment and make the change there. Why? Because it's convenient. For me. I even told you in my first post that I understood your accounting as a reason to change with locals and not go down to Florida. Of course, the locals with whom I change money know what the current rate is too and when I insist on something closer to reality than 50 points down, it's usually not a problem.

A lot of guys who read this forum may not have the advantage of knowing a local who wants to buy dollars and he shouldn't be worried about going down to Florida, and should understand how it works. If it's convenient for him. My information was related to changing money on Florida, both the myth of counterfeit bills and how the transactions work.

So much for trying to point out such things in a polite manner, eh?

DavieW
09-14-13, 10:31
Many locals will also be able to help you exchange, may be not for as much as Florida, as in my case I have received about 8.6 Pesos to the $.Besides your unnecessary accusatory tone as pointed out by El Queso (and also for the benefit of others, you've made it very clear that you're happy to receive considerably less for your USD than is available), you're completely wide of the mark with the above comment!

"Maybe not for as much as Florida..."?!?!? Locals who are looking to BUY dollars would have to go to the same cuevas if they weren't lucky enough to have someone as generous as you. Consequently they'd be paying considerably MORE than the current rate than the cuevas are buying them for. On the odd occasion that I have the opportunity to sell my USD to a local I'm happy to sell for 0.1 OVER the current rate and they're more than happy to pay it. So in the case you quoted, when the cueva rate is 9.1 and you're happy to accept 8.6 from your 'local', I can guarantee there are plenty of locals who will pay 9.2 (or more) and would be thanking you profusely for the favour.

*This is a Public Service announcement.*

PS. I've also NEVER received a fake bill on Florida in the 6+ years I've been changing money there.

Kevins
09-25-13, 20:23
Besides your unnecessary accusatory tone as pointed out by El Queso (and also for the benefit of others, you've made it very clear that you're happy to receive considerably less for your USD than is available), you're completely wide of the mark with the above comment!

"Maybe not for as much as Florida..."?!?!? Locals who are looking to BUY dollars would have to go to the same cuevas if they weren't lucky enough to have someone as generous as you. Consequently they'd be paying considerably MORE than the current rate than the cuevas are buying them for. On the odd occasion that I have the opportunity to sell my USD to a local I'm happy to sell for 0.1 OVER the current rate and they're more than happy to pay it. So in the case you quoted, when the cueva rate is 9.1 and you're happy to accept 8.6 from your 'local', I can guarantee there are plenty of locals who will pay 9.2 (or more) and would be thanking you profusely for the favour.

*This is a Public Service announcement.*

PS. I've also NEVER received a fake bill on Florida in the 6+ years I've been changing money there.Basically split the buy and sell blue rate so both side get better desl than on the street, price get by calling or checking internet blue buy sell rate and go from there, our office has been doing that for years wjhoever needs txt sll in office and someone always needs the other side.

Meforu 2000
09-25-13, 22:59
I was there 9/22 at 520 corrientes, and I got 9.20 per USD.

Good place to exchange, in 12 years never a bad bill, and I use them every 4 months.

DavieW
10-03-13, 16:06
With LaNacion and Ambito showing 9.52 and 9.53 before I went out (they're the only ones I ever look at these days - most of the others are in cloud-cuckoo land (eg, dolarblue 9.20, dolarpeso 8.61!)) I got 9.46, changing USD1500.

e2a: and as is the norm on this f**king site it's taken me 4 edits to get it to actually show what I'd originally typed!

And a 5th edit to gentrify the swear word which, ironically, didn't get filtered.

*shakes head*

Daddy Rulz
10-10-13, 01:29
I got 9.5 for 300 at my chino today. I should stop calling it my chino, the Chinese lady is never there anymore.

Jackson
10-10-13, 03:18
With LaNacion and Ambito showing 9.52 and 9.53 before I went out (they're the only ones I ever look at these days - most of the others are in cloud-cuckoo land (eg, dolarblue 9.20, dolarpeso 8.61!)) I got 9.46, changing USD1500.

e2a: and as is the norm on this f**king site it's taken me 4 edits to get it to actually show what I'd originally typed!

And a 5th edit to gentrify the swear word which, ironically, didn't get filtered.

<shakes head>DavieW,

Stop complaining.

The Text Cleanup Script IS NOT INVOKED after you edit your own post.

If you hate the TCS so much, then just post gibberish, then edit it immediately and compose your text as you wish.

*shakes head*

Of course, as always, your post-TCS text must perfectly capitalized and punctuated or it will be deleted, this policy being necessary because some Dickheads would abuse the privilege and write as if they were texting on their cellphones.

Thanks,

Jackson

DavieW
10-10-13, 22:34
Of course, as always, your post-TCS text must perfectly capitalized and punctuated or it will be deleted
Fine. As long as you take into account that my first language is English, not American.

;-)

Big Boss Man
10-11-13, 00:17
Esten,

Thank you for the info. It is very helpful. I will of course be respectful and discrete. That's a great idea on reserving 2 guests in the room to create that argument...yes I'll be checking all the boliches out for sure. I was planning on walking to most of the ones in recoleta, but Tijuana said many are closed or changed locations, and I need to figure out how to get the addresses of all of them. Any thoughts? Also, can you recommend a good cambio near Ayres de Recoleta Plaza that will give the good exchange rate? Your help is very much appreciated!Sunshine69.

Search the Exchanging Currency thread for the coin store on Junin. It is not the place for the best rate but I think convenience will trump the pesos difference. Actually if you explore the site all the information you ask for (maps and everything) is here. You probably should get this conversation out of the Madahos thread.

Big Boss Man
10-11-13, 19:44
Any problems exchanging new style 100's? My credit union just handed me a bunch.

Daddy Rulz
10-11-13, 20:07
Any problems exchanging new style 100's? My credit union just handed me a bunch.FYI, I went to Peru years ago when the current ones had just come out and nobody wanted them because they thought they were counterfeits. I would consider going to the bank and switching them. If you can't and nobody will accept them I will change them for 95% of face value and hold them until they become accepted. No I'm not being a wise ass.

Boston
10-13-13, 18:33
Sunshine69.

Search the Exchanging Currency thread for the coin store on Junin. It is not the place for the best rate but I think convenience will trump the pesos difference. Actually if you explore the site all the information you ask for (maps and everything) is here. You probably should get this conversation out of the Madahos thread.I used this place and I was in and out in about 90 seconds.

Troyster
10-15-13, 15:17
Regarding the blue rate...

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/turismo-extranjero-liquida-dolares-oficial_0_1011498874.html

Willy Heat
10-21-13, 21:42
Regarding the blue rate...

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/turismo-extranjero-liquida-dolares-oficial_0_1011498874.htmlHi guys,

I work with Russian tourism in BA, if you need exchange, I go to your hotel or your apartment.

Find me in argentinavoyage dot com. Today I payed 9.4.

Bye.

German.

Daddy Rulz
10-21-13, 22:18
I got 9.6 on U$S 200 today.

DavieW
10-22-13, 10:24
So we're almost back up to the high of 9.80 of May this year.

Will we hit 10 soon? Or will the government find another way to pull it back, albeit temporarily?

I reckon it's a psychological barrier that they're not keen on seeing broken.

TejanoLibre
10-24-13, 13:03

Will we hit 10 soon? Or will the government find another way to pull it back, albeit temporarily?

I reckon it's a psychological barrier that they're not keen on seeing broken.10.2 Today..

The Cops and Robbers were all over Florida and Lavalle yesterday shutting down the Blue Babies.

Asked everyone nicely to hold-off on exchanging dollars until after the election and to keep it at 10 max.

The Blues Promised that nobody will exchange cash on Thursday or Friday.

Blue Babies say that they can't control the demand for Benjamins and that they won't keep it at 10 to 1 .

Expect it to hit 11 plus by the end of the year!

That's an extra Hump at your Favorite Butt-Hutt for sure!

Have Fun,

TL.

Daddy Rulz
10-24-13, 18:59
This is what I get for assuming TL's posts will be unintelligible pabulum and not reading them. I put pussy before changing dollars and by the time I got to my Koreana, she was closed. Every fucking body was closed, but all the normal guys said they would be open tomorrow.

10.2 Today..

The Cops and Robbers were all over Florida and Lavalle yesterday shutting down the Blue Babies.

Asked everyone nicely to hold-off on exchanging dollars until after the election and to keep it at 10 max.

The Blues Promised that nobody will exchange cash on Thursday or Friday.

Blue Babies say that they can't control the demand for Benjamins and that they won't keep it at 10 to 1 .

Expect it to hit 11 plus by the end of the year!

That's an extra Hump at your Favorite Butt-Hutt for sure!

Have Fun,

TL.

Jackson
11-06-13, 20:14
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.93

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Venta" = 9.83

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.83

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.88

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.86

Average Published Rate = 9.866

Rate Actually Received = 9.70

Discount from Average Rate = -1.68% (x .9831)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Big Boss Man
11-08-13, 17:42
I received 9.55 for 500 on November 7 at the place I used last year that gave good rates. November 8, I received 9.65 for $500 at a place in the Microcenter. Today's spot might not be tomorrow's.

DavieW
11-11-13, 13:05

I reckon it's a psychological barrier that they're not keen on seeing broken.Not sure how they've done it, but it looks like they're managing to keep it under that psychological barrier! (Everybody knows to ignore Walter Mitty with his stories of 10.2 right?) I got 9.90 on 24th Oct, but forgot to post about it after seeing the thread soiled. I heard of a friend of a friend who got 10.05 the day before, but that was very short lived.

On Friday 8th Nov I went to 'Western Union' on Lavalle and was offered 9.60 and was so pissed off that I just walked out! I asked a couple of randoms on Florida but couldn't better it until I ended up back at the first place I ever used on the 100 block of Florida. A cell phone accessories shop in a galería where they offered 9.65 and eventually went to 9.70 for USD500.

Gringo Verde
11-15-13, 18:43
I got 9.8 pesos to the dollar today for a $500 transaction at the cuerva in Galaria Colon, on Florida between Corrientes and Sarmiento. Last week they paid 9.6 for the same dollar amount. Send me a message if you need the full address.

GV.

Jackpot
11-15-13, 19:02
Went to a reliable Cueva on Lavalle and THREE times I was asked to leave because the PIGS were out to bust this joint.

Finally, after 2 one hour waiting periods I was able to get 9.75 for $500 USD.

Be careful guys.

Jackpot.

IndoSpurs
11-17-13, 11:23
Does anyone know if there is any place open on a Sunday to change USD to pesos?

Daddy Rulz
11-17-13, 11:44
Does anyone know if there is any place open on a Sunday to change USD to pesos?There are usually people out on Lavalle on Sunday offering but it's individuals not the office cambio's, they generally want to do the exchange on the street, and it's often hurried and the rate will be bad. It's the perfect mix for getting fake bills. If you're going to be here for awhile and just need pocket money for today you might want to bite the bullet and use an ATM to pull out a couple hundred pesos and exchange a larger amount tomorrow.

DR.

Esten
11-17-13, 17:04
Does anyone know if there is any place open on a Sunday to change USD to pesos?I just exchanged $300 at 9.4 on Lavalle. While not the best rate, it's Sunday and I just need enough for a day or two, for now. Far better than using the ATM. The place was by 835 Lavalle, two guys were outside a couple doors down, a spanish guy and a black guy. The black guy walked me down the strip of stores in 835, into one of the stores, so we had some privacy. I exchange 100 first so I could check the bills. Then did the other 200 which I also checked. The 100 peso notes had the expected faint "face" in the white area when you hold the bill up to the light.

Daddy Rulz
11-17-13, 18:00
I just exchanged $300 at 9.4 on Lavalle. While not the best rate, it's Sunday and I just need enough for a day or two, for now. Far better than using the ATM. The place was by 835 Lavalle, two guys were outside a couple doors down, a spanish guy and a black guy. The black guy walked me down the strip of stores in 835, into one of the stores, so we had some privacy. I exchange 100 first so I could check the bills. Then did the other 200 which I also checked. The 100 peso notes had the expected faint "face" in the white area when you hold the bill up to the light.I still would not recommend doing this for somebody on their first trip. You know what pesos are supposed to look like and your spanish is good. Good info for the vets.

Esten
11-18-13, 19:28
Agreed DR.

BTW, I was getting 9.7 quotes on Lavalle today.

Bold Focker
11-19-13, 21:57
When I was last in BA it was P5 to the £, and you could buy a beer in El Alamo for P5. You could get a girl out of Exhedra or NP for P200 for an hour.

Just so I can get a feel for how BA has changed, What is the going rate for the above now?

Also do banks accept Travellers checks, and when you cash them do the give you $ for $, or do they only exchange into Peso?

Gandolf50
11-19-13, 22:10
When I was last in BA it was P5 to the £, and you could buy a beer in El Alamo for P5. You could get a girl out of Exhedra or NP for P200 for an hour.

Just so I can get a feel for how BA has changed, What is the going rate for the above now?

Also do banks accept Travellers checks, and when you cash them do the give you $ for $, or do they only exchange into Peso?You can change travelers checks at the American Express office near Retiro, only for pesos at the official rate. In other words, a bad idea. As for pricing. Ill let others give you the bad news.

DavieW
11-21-13, 12:58
With the sacking of Moreno and the talk of his replacement being a hard-line Marxist and with a bunch of big bills coming up I was out in a panic yesterday to change a big wad of USD. Especially when I found my usual place on lock-down by AFIP!

I ended up back at the same place in the galeria at the very start of Florida and got 9.75. Was initially disappointed, but talked to my usual place later that day and was told that's all they could have offered me also, so I reckon that's as good as was available yesterday.

Gringo Verde
11-23-13, 13:20
The cuerva in Galaria Colon on Florida gave me 9.8 pesos per dollar on a $500 exchange on Friday; the same rate as last week. Three French girls in front of me exchanged smaller amounts of Euros with no problems and I don't think they spoke a word of Spanish. They just passed their money to the cashier.

GV.

Miami Bob
11-24-13, 16:17
HELLO ALL,

It's been over one year since I visited BA. I would like to use this place on Junin because it is a few blocks from where I will be staying. Is it still open and easy to do business there?

Where is it exactly: address or description of location. Is there anything special needed to change $500+ there. Eg passport or photocopy of passport?

I am arriving Dec 25. Where can I easily change money on either the 25 or 26 of December with a good rate? Would any members who know me like to change money for me at a competitive rate?

Bob inMiami.

DavieW
11-26-13, 12:01
I am arriving Dec 25. Where can I easily change money on either the 25 or 26 of December with a good rate? Would any members who know me like to change money for me at a competitive rate?

Bob inMiami.I would have Bob, but I'll be out of the country myself.

Jackson
11-26-13, 14:12
Greetings everyone,

As readers of this website know, for some time now I've been researching the various currency exchange websites hoping to gain insight into the stastical variation between the posted rates and the actual "street" rate.

During this research I have continually scratched my head over the terms used by said websites to describe their rates, said terms sometimes appearing not to make any sense, as follows:

For example, the La Nacion websites lists the following rates:

DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA = 9.84
DÓLAR BLUE VENTA = 9.92

But what exactly does that mean?

Does "DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA" mean "We buy the dollar (at this rate)"?

Does "DÓLAR BLUE VENTA" mean "We sell the dollar (at this rate)"?

Does it mean that they will buy your dollars from you at 9.84, and sell dollars to you for 9.92?

That makes sense: They buy the dollars low and sell them high. The customer pays more to buy the dollars.

What doesn't make sense is that in this same day, the cuevas were buying the dollars at a rate much closer to the 9.92 rate.

In fact, no one was actually buying dollars at anywhere near any of the posted "DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA" rates, and were in fact buying dollars at nearly the "DÓLAR BLUE VENTA" rate.

So maybe I've got this backwards?

Does "DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA" mean "YOU can buy the dollar (at this rate)"?

Does "DÓLAR BLUE VENTA" mean "YOU can sell the dollar (at this rate)"?

If you think it means "YOU can [buy/sell] the dollar (at this rate)", then that means that you can buy the dollars from them at a lower rate, and also that you can sell them the same dollars back to them at a higher rate, so that can't be the translation.

So where am I going wrong here?

Thanks,

Jax

==========================================

FYI, here are some examples of the nomenclature from similar websites:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta"

DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA (the lower rate)
DÓLAR BLUE VENTA (the higher rate)

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Venta"

COMPRA (the lower rate)
VENTA (the higher rate)

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) "Dolar Blue Venta"

Compra (the lower rate)
Venta (the higher rate)

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta"

COMPRA (the lower rate)
VENTA (the higher rate)

DavieW
11-26-13, 16:58
Does "DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA" mean "We buy the dollar (at this rate)"?

Does "DÓLAR BLUE VENTA" mean "We sell the dollar (at this rate)"?

Does it mean that they will buy your dollars from you at 9.84, and sell dollars to you for 9.92?

That makes sense: They buy the dollars low and sell them high. The customer pays more to buy the dollars.
Yes, that's exactly right. Except for the phrase "they will buy.....and sell". Those sites are just reporting a rate, they're not actually providing an exchange service and their quoted rates are nothing more than a guide.

What doesn't make sense is that in this same day, the cuevas were buying the dollars at a rate much closer to the 9.92 rate.

In fact, no one was actually buying dollars at anywhere near any of the posted "DÓLAR BLUE COMPRA" rates, and were in fact buying dollars at nearly the "DÓLAR BLUE VENTA" rate.

So where am I going wrong here?
Thinking that the rates quoted on those sites actually means anything in the real world! The only exchange rate that's real is the one you're given whilst you're handing over your Benjamins.

OK, they are useful for getting a ball-park figure, but I'm guessing that those rates are posted once per day, probably based on the previous day's trading, and as we all know, the rate 'on the street' can change from the morning to the afternoon!

Boston
11-26-13, 19:53
HELLO ALL,

It's been over one year since I visited BA. I would like to use this place on Junin because it is a few blocks from where I will be staying. Is it still open and easy to do business there?

Where is it exactly: address or description of location. Is there anything special needed to change $500+ there. Eg passport or photocopy of passport?

Bob inMiami.I was there in Sept. And the place was open. Competitive rate also.

Jackson
11-27-13, 04:31
Yes, that's exactly right. Except for the phrase "they will buy.....and sell". Those sites are just reporting a rate, they're not actually providing an exchange service and their quoted rates are nothing more than a guide.

Thinking that the rates quoted on those sites actually means anything in the real world! The only exchange rate that's real is the one you're given whilst you're handing over your Benjamins.

OK, they are useful for getting a ball-park figure, but I'm guessing that those rates are posted once per day, probably based on the previous day's trading, and as we all know, the rate 'on the street' can change from the morning to the afternoon!DavieW,

I sincerely appreciate your response, but obviously you missed the point of my question.

I am well aware that the websites are only prognosticating a decidedly unofficial rate, and also that none of them are actually in the exchange business.

What I am doing is attempting to ascertain what discount from publicly available numbers that may be used as a rough benchmark as to what exchange rate I might actually expect to get on that specific day.

I can also use this research to explain to guys who want to buy pesos that the rates they see on the Internet are not realistic, and that they should actually expect to get a somewhat predictable lower rate.

To that end, I am seeking whatever data set that proves to be the best barometer of the actual rates being proffered. Thus, it really doesn't matter if I use the "COMPRA" or the "VENTA" data set, but I was perplexed as to the linguistics behind the labeling of the rates.

Thanks,

Jax.

DavieW
11-27-13, 13:44
What I am doing is attempting to ascertain what discount from publicly available numbers that may be used as a rough benchmark as to what exchange rate I might actually expect to get on that specific day.

I can also use this research to explain to guys who want to buy pesos that the rates they see on the Internet are not realistic, and that they should actually expect to get a somewhat predictable lower rate.

Sure, I understand that, but IMHO, those sites are pretty much a waste of time and often-times people look at them and set expectations that have no meaning in the real world (lower AND higher!). As has been shown on many occasions on this site, if you go to any of the recommended places, they'll all be offering near-as-damn-it the same rate (give or take a centavo) on any given day. And they're all pretty honest and reliable. How many of us has ever been ripped off by any of them? Not even me.....and I've been robbed 22 times!

So your best bet is to just go to one of them (two or three if you're desperate to find that extra centavo!) and take what they're offering. In my experience, they'll even tell you if the rates are on the way up / down if you ask them, which helps with deciding how much to change and whether it's worth waiting a day or two.

If someone's new at it and doesn't have the confidence to trust the well-known cambios mentioned on here, or wants to have some idea before they head out, they can always come on here and ask for help. It's a pretty responsive place in general!

LVonis
11-27-13, 21:37
This is my first time here. I have been trying to exchange money but couple times it seems the place already closed when igot there. I thought it was supposed to close around 8 pm. Is there anything that open later than 8 pm? If not, do you know what time these places open till?

Any suggestion for a place near Sheraton convention center?

Thanks.

E.

Jackson
11-27-13, 22:17
Sure, I understand that, but IMHO, those sites are pretty much a waste of time and often-times people look at them and set expectations that have no meaning in the real world (lower AND higher!).Hi DaveW,

Actually, my research indicates exactly the opposite.

Several times over the past few months a friend of mine has exchanged exactly $1,000 USD at a fairly typical neighborhood cueva.

Each time, the rate he actually received was a relatively consistent 1.50% - 2.00% discount from the average of the rates posted on the aforementioned websites.

At this point, I think it's reasonable to surmise that there is some discernible correlation between the posted rates and the actual rates.

436449 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.68%

435334 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.64%

435074 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.42%

434823 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.52%

434763 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.57%

433996 --- Discount from Average Rate = -2.20%

433925 --- Discount from Average Rate = -1.70%

Anyway, my original post was regarding the usage of the terms "VENTA" and "COMPRA" on these websites.

As I said, my question was an issue of semantics, not a commentary on the accuracy of the websites.

Thanks,

Jackson

Maddur
11-28-13, 20:29
The cuerva in Galaria Colon on Florida gave me 9.8 pesos per dollar on a $500 exchange on Friday; the same rate as last week. Three French girls in front of me exchanged smaller amounts of Euros with no problems and I don't think they spoke a word of Spanish. They just passed their money to the cashier.

GV.Looks like the rates have come down a little. No one was going above 9,5 today on Florida.

Jackson
11-29-13, 13:08
Greetings Everyone,

Yesterday at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.63

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Venta" = 9.65

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.67

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.64

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.63

Average Published Rate = 9.644

Rate Actually Received = 9.55

Discount from Average Rate = -0.975% (x .9902)

You're welcome.

Jackson

ScottyDog23
11-29-13, 14:16
Hey,

My experience in Colombia and a dozen other countries is that ATM s are safe and offer a good rate.

Is this a good plan in BA?

Miami Bob
11-29-13, 14:26
ATM is about 6.25 pesos for the usDolaar. The blue rate is today (thanks Jackson) about 9.65 pesos for the dollar. You might pay a $15 USD lunch by credit card and it is not worth the hassle for a a small amount of money. For a US$1,000 exchange it is worth the hassle.

There are a few member of this site who earn the living in pesos who likely would love to buy us Dollars. You mighr get a PM offering to buy your dollars at a rate about the blue rate in an easy and painless manner.

If you employ TL as a tour guide, he will walk you through a blue market exchange. If you use "Silver Star Taxi" for airport transfer, Fred will help you exchange money has part of the luxury service he provides. Both Fred and TL have been doing this for years and are both trustable to help you with an exchange. Or you may do it on your own.

Jackson
11-29-13, 14:39
Hey,

My experience in Colombia and a dozen other countries is that ATM s are safe and offer a good rate.

Is this a good plan in BA?Sure, if you don't mind taking a 40% haircut on the value of your money.

Gandolf50
11-29-13, 15:24
Hey,

Is this a good plan in BA?Try reading a few of these posts.

Esten
11-29-13, 16:02
Going rate around 9.4 on Lavalle today, down from 9.7 last week.

Jackson
11-29-13, 18:48
Greetings Everyone,

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.63

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Venta" = 9.57

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.57

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.66

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.66

Average Published Rate = 9.618

Rate Actually Received = 9.40

Discount from Average Rate = -2.27% (x .9773)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Miami Bob
11-29-13, 19:52
Warmest regards,

Bob.

TejanoLibre
11-30-13, 05:11
Hey,

Is this a good plan in BA?The peso is the currency of Argentina and since 1969 thirteen zeroes have been dropped (a factor of ten trillion) due to the inflation here.

Different systems but does that sound like a good plan ?

Dropped a few in 2001 .

In recent times the exchange rate hovered around 3 pesos per United States dollar from 2002 to 2008, was around 4 pesos from 2009 to 2011, and has reached 6 pesos on November 2013.

By November 2013, due to the National Government's policies and the market's lack of trust in the currency, the free exchange rate (the only possible one, as the government has banned the access to US dollars) is about 10 pesos per US dollar (although it fluctuates wildly).

Does this "sound like a good plan?

I guess You can always use Bit Coins.

TL.

ScottyDog23
11-30-13, 11:21
Thanks for all the In-put..I will exchange on the street. Question...I plan to buy some antiques...will merchants give me 10 to One if I pay in Dollars?

Thanks in advance for replys.

Out for Flesh
11-30-13, 16:58
Hey,

Is this a good plan in BA?I do not think so. I guess that ATMs will in any case give you pesos at the official rate, while if you buy pesos in the street you'll have a much more favorable rate. I suppose that the same applies when one pays with a credit card at a shop.

BTW, I am going to BsAs for some days next Wed, after some years of absence. Do shops / restaurants accept cash payments in Euros / dollars? If so, what exchange rate can I expect?

Thanks!

TejanoLibre
11-30-13, 17:23
Thanks for all the In-put..I will exchange on the street. Question...I plan to buy some antiques...will merchants give me 10 to One if I pay in Dollars?

Thanks in advance for replys.Alright Dog!

Some of the guys would be happy to help you exchange dollars at a favorable rate and some of the guys will actually buy them from you.

Enough about that for now.

Antiques:

The city is full of interesting stuff to take back home.

The most interesting stuff can't be imported into ANY country in the world or it can't be removed from Argentina.

Argento knows everything about this subject but he has been silent for quite a while. You may be able to PM him and ask him a few questions.

I have lived here for 8 years and even when I ask how much something cost, especially an antique in an antique store the prices quoted are ALWAYS in dollars but Nothing is clearly marked so who the hell really knows how much it cost!

If these assholes can rip you a New one in any particular manner down here they will never hesitate if you are a "Tourista!

That is a national pastime.

What's down here?

All sorts of shit! Some real, some fakes but with the internet and E-Bay you won't find any special deals but all this chatter may not mean a thing if it's just for personal use.

So how much is that little hooker in the window?

1500.00 .

1500.00 what? Pesos?

No, $1500.00 Dollars because Antigues and Real Estate are quoted in Dollars! BS!

Will they sell their stuff at 10 to 1 ?

Probably not!

Also, the stuff is scattered throughout the city.

San Telmo, Esmeralda St. , Libertad, etc.

Be glad to show you around.

Thanks,

TL.

My favorite story is about this guy I met down here recently and I asked him what he does for a living .

He told me that he Makes Antiques in China !

Very Funny !

DavieW
11-30-13, 18:01
Also, the stuff is scattered throughout the city.

San TelmoOn Defensa in San Telmo there's a few places selling some properly amazing Art Deco furniture, but the last time I checked (3 years ago) it was expensive as hell. More expensive than London prices.

Easy Go
12-01-13, 01:04
Scotty Dog / Out for Flesh.

ATM's and credit cards are a horrible idea in BA as they use the official exchange rate. Occasionally, shops and restaurants can be talked into a decent exchange rate for cash but it's uncommon since dollars are only in demand by relatively small part of the population. Plus I find a lot of people that think the official rate is the "real" rate and anybody wanting an exchange at the blue rate is being unreasonable. A wad of 100 peso notes will usually get you a lot farther than a wad of foreign currency in regular life.

Bring clean 100's (dollars or euros) and exchange them in one of the suggested cuevas. As long as you are not an idiot or horribly unlucky, you'll be fine.

Miami Bob
12-01-13, 01:43
Do not buy on the street without street smarts and good castellano.

Either hire Silver Star limo and Fred, the owner, to pick you up at the airport and he'll do the "blue market" exchange as part of his luxury service--very straight trustable guy who has been in business for years.

Or.

Arrange for TL to do the club tour with you. This is TL business. TL will charge you something--and he'll do it with you or if you are in BA and no interest in mongering clubs or prefer to learn the city on your own; take TL to lunch and he'll do you a favor.

Or PM Daddy Rulz and ask him pretty please with sugar on top and buy him a thank you drink.

Out for Flesh
12-01-13, 19:21
Scotty Dog / Out for Flesh.

ATM's and credit cards are a horrible idea in BA as they use the official exchange rate. Occasionally, shops and restaurants can be talked into a decent exchange rate for cash but it's uncommon since dollars are only in demand by relatively small part of the population. Plus I find a lot of people that think the official rate is the "real" rate and anybody wanting an exchange at the blue rate is being unreasonable. A wad of 100 peso notes will usually get you a lot farther than a wad of foreign currency in regular life.

Bring clean 100's (dollars or euros) and exchange them in one of the suggested cuevas. As long as you are not an idiot or horribly unlucky, you'll be fine.I guess then that euros are also happily accepted (I expected that, but just want to make sure. I am coming from Spain).

Gikubik
12-01-13, 20:03
I guess then that euros are also happily accepted (I expected that, but just want to make sure. I am coming from Spain).I'm from Barcelona, here since last Wednesday. I exchanged euros using a friend of mine who works in realstate business. He usually call someone to come to his office from the cueva for safety reasons. I was talking with that person from the cueva and he told me a couple of things maybe useful about exchanging euros. I'm going to write it in Spanish because my English is not good enough, I'm sorry:

1) El mercado del euro en Argentina no es tan liquido como el del dolar porque mayoritariamente se trabaja más en dolares. Eso hace que las horquillas entre venta / compra sean siempre algo más grandes o sea que te penaliza un poco (no mucho). Igualmente si vas a cambiar los euros a dolares en España tambien tendrás una comision o sea que... "lo comido por lo servido".

2) El billete de euro cuando más grande mejor. Por suerte yo traje billetes de 500 euros cosa que al chaval le gusto. En verdad cuando mi amigo de la inmobiliaria llamó para pedir cambio, no solo le preguntaron cuanto quería cambiar sinó tambien qué billetes eran. Una vez supo que eran de 500 nos dijo la tasa de cambio que fué más alta que para billetes de 50, por ejemplo.

I suppose when you go to the cueva they are going to give you the worst exchange rate possible anyway (that's Argentina! But if you can choose, try to bring with you big banknotes! You are not losing anything and you know like me that 500 euros banknotes in Spain have a lot of controls from "Spanish AFIP" so better to spend them abroad!

Here I'm if you need something!

Xavi.

Out for Flesh
12-01-13, 20:59
I'm from Barcelona, here since last Wednesday. I exchanged euros using a friend of mine who works in realstate business. He usually call someone to come to his office from the cueva for safety reasons. I was talking with that person from the cueva and he told me a couple of things maybe useful about exchanging euros. I'm going to write it in Spanish because my English is not good enough, I'm sorry:

1) El mercado del euro en Argentina no es tan liquido como el del dolar porque mayoritariamente se trabaja más en dolares. Eso hace que las horquillas entre venta / compra sean siempre algo más grandes o sea que te penaliza un poco (no mucho). Igualmente si vas a cambiar los euros a dolares en España tambien tendrás una comision o sea que... "lo comido por lo servido".

2) El billete de euro cuando más grande mejor. Por suerte yo traje billetes de 500 euros cosa que al chaval le gusto. En verdad cuando mi amigo de la inmobiliaria llamó para pedir cambio, no solo le preguntaron cuanto quería cambiar sinó tambien qué billetes eran. Una vez supo que eran de 500 nos dijo la tasa de cambio que fué más alta que para billetes de 50, por ejemplo.

I suppose when you go to the cueva they are going to give you the worst exchange rate possible anyway (that's Argentina! But if you can choose, try to bring with you big banknotes! You are not losing anything and you know like me that 500 euros banknotes in Spain have a lot of controls from "Spanish AFIP" so better to spend them abroad!

Here I'm if you need something!

Xavi.Thanks for the superb info and advice. Yes, I was expecting that the difference official / blue was not going to be as wide for the Euro. But I wasn't expecting that big notes were going to make a difference. Actually I would expect that smaller notes were easier to resell / use later on. Unless you use them to stuff suitcases and make legally doubtful payments. Which of course won't be the case, right?

Gikubik
12-01-13, 22:02
Thanks for the superb info and advice. Yes, I was expecting that the difference official / blue was not going to be as wide for the Euro. But I wasn't expecting that big notes were going to make a difference. Actually I would expect that smaller notes were easier to resell / use later on. Unless you use them to stuff suitcases and make legally doubtful payments. Which of course won't be the case, right?He told me this notes are "más prácticos". As you, I didn't understand... Anyway maybe difference is not so big with smaller notes, and maybe when you go to the cueva they tell you they don't care, you know how it goes in this city... Anyway I think it's worth knowing so, if you have any of this notes (and you are expecting to spend this amount or more) you can bring it with you. And for sure you shouldn't bring notes smaller than 50€, just in case.

You are from Spain and you are here for chicas? I can't believe it! Spain is a paradise if you compare with this country where everything is expensive and they want to suck with condom most of cases! A nightmare!

Good luck!

Xavi.

Out for Flesh
12-02-13, 15:57
He told me this notes are "más prácticos". As you, I didn't understand... Anyway maybe difference is not so big with smaller notes, and maybe when you go to the cueva they tell you they don't care, you know how it goes in this city... Anyway I think it's worth knowing so, if you have any of this notes (and you are expecting to spend this amount or more) you can bring it with you. And for sure you shouldn't bring notes smaller than 50€, just in case.

You are from Spain and you are here for chicas? I can't believe it! Spain is a paradise if you compare with this country where everything is expensive and they want to suck with condom most of cases! A nightmare!

Good luck!

Xavi.I am in a business trip and want to make good use of my extra time.

Gikubik
12-02-13, 23:33
I am in a business trip and want to make good use of my extra time.So like me. You have a PM. Good luck in the Cueva!

Xavi.

Ed Handy
12-03-13, 02:55
Do not buy on the street without street smarts and good castellano.Odd, I did just that. Didn't exchange a lot of money at once ($200 my first day, $300 the next), but there are a million "cambio, cambio, cambio" guys out on Florida street, and have not had any problem spending the AR $100 notes I got from the first one just south of Cordoba.

I have rudimentary Mexican / American Spanish, and pretty much anyone with a year of high school Spanish can do it:

"Cuanto cada dolare?

"Nueve. Veinte".

"Bien. Tengo dos ciento".

(guy takes out the calculator, shows me 9.2 * 200 = 1840).

"Bien".

Guy counts out the money.

"Gracias".

That easy. If you're doing it in daytime with a bunch of people around, and not converting huge tons of money at once, what's the risk? A few bad bills?

DavieW
12-03-13, 09:28
(guy takes out the calculator, shows me 9.2 * 200 = 1840).

"Bien".

Guy counts out the money.

"Gracias".

That easy. If you're doing it in daytime with a bunch of people around, and not converting huge tons of money at once, what's the risk? A few bad bills?

Two risks: a small one, that you'll get dodgy bills (admittedly I've never received one in 6 years of changing on Florida, but I always go to the places recommended on here, NOT to random 'arboles'.)

And the second one: the exchange rate available on the day you got 9.2 may have been 9.8 in the recommended places!

DavieW
12-03-13, 09:33
On today's news. Big rise in the official rate (up 15 c in one day) coupled with a huge drop in the blue rate (down 40 c in one day).

Resulting in Official = 6.16 and Blue = 9.18, bringing the differential down below 50%.

Damn.

Although pretty pleased with myself for having changed a huge wad last week. I'd have been 5,700 pesos down if I'd changed them today!

DavieW
12-03-13, 09:45
And even worse news (for those of us that only have banking in Argentina), the 'tax' on using credit cards abroad just went up from 20% to 35%.

I say 'tax', but this is just legalized robbery. So when I go to Canada for Christmas in 3 weeks time, if I take my lad to McDonalds and pay with my credit card, this government will add 35% and steal it from me. How the fcuk the people here let them get away with this sh1 t is one of life's great mysteries!

Out for Flesh
12-03-13, 14:49
So like me. You have a PM. Good luck in the Cueva!

Xavi.Thanks. Actually I am getting pesos from the people who is renting me the apartment I'm staying in. So in principle no need to go to any cueva.

Santa
12-04-13, 18:15
Now, a non Argentina cannot buy airfare, hotel accommodations and other tourist services with pesos. Does this mean that the women referred to in this forum are going to ask to be paid in dollars or other foreign currency? How about taxicabs, groceries, butchers and other shops?

Big Boss Man
12-05-13, 00:24
Does this mean that the women referred to in this forum are going to ask to be paid in dollars or other foreign currency? A Paraguayan I was meeting with in November asked to be paid in dollars because she was headed home for the holidays and the Argentinian peso is worthless in Paraguay.

Gandolf50
12-05-13, 07:12
A Paraguayan I was meeting with in November asked to be paid in dollars because she was headed home for the holidays and the Argentinian peso is worthless in Paraguay.LOL! If there is a currency worse the the Argentine Peso it is the Guarani!

Gringo Verde
12-05-13, 10:32
The cuerva in Galaria Colon on Florida paid 9 pesos / dollar on Tuesday, down from 9.8 for my previous two exchanges. I only changed $100 on Tuesday and I probably would have received a couple tenths of a peso more for my usual $500 transaction.

GV.

Jackson
12-05-13, 19:08
Greetings Everyone,

I seems that the Argentine bargain hunters taking advantage of the cheap dollar has bolstered the demand and thus restored some of the previous week's rates.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.87

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Venta" = 9.69

DolarPeso.com (http://www.dolarpeso.com/index.php?c=AR) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.69

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.66

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.75

Average Published Rate = 9.732

Rate Actually Received = 9.45

Discount from Average Rate = -2.89% (x .9710)

You're welcome.

Jackson

ScottyDog23
12-05-13, 20:22
Is there an approved (by Jackson and the team) Exchange near my hotel at Juncal & Arroyo in Retiro?

Many Thanks,

Out for Flesh
12-06-13, 20:41
Turns out I've bought more pesos than what I think I am finally going to spend. Any idea on how I can change them back into euros (preferably) or dollars at a reasonable rate?

DavieW
12-06-13, 23:42
Turns out I've bought more pesos than what I think I am finally going to spend. Any idea on how I can change them back into euros (preferably) or dollars at a reasonable rate?Approx how many?

Out for Flesh
12-07-13, 00:27
Approx how many?Can't say exactly until Sunday, but at the current rate let's say AR $4000 or so.

DavieW
12-07-13, 11:04
Can't say exactly until Sunday, but at the current rate let's say AR $4000 or so.I'll give you USD400 for ARS4000 if you can meet me in Microcentro.

Out for Flesh
12-07-13, 15:01
I'll give you USD400 for ARS4000 if you can meet me in Microcentro.I've PM'd you.