PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Superman
08-09-14, 20:23
I will be in BA on the 28th. PM me if you need to exchange to USD.

Thanks.

Big Boss Man
08-13-14, 20:47
Dolarblue.net quoting 13.3 pesos to the $1. Xoom.com finally surpasses June 6th price at 10.775 P compared to 10.31 P to the dollar. It ran under 10 for two months.

TejanoLibre
08-13-14, 21:22
There is a Private Exchange Operation here in Mendoza that will accept a check from an American bank and cash it in Dollars or Pesos.

You hand them a personal check and they hand you the cash.

It can be a combination of dollars and pesos.

Better than a Xoom rate and less than a Blue Rate.

No minimum or max I think.

They are here to serve the American community.

Going to see if they have a partner in BA.

Ultra tired of Xoom's Bullshit!

Monthly Bullshit!

Proof of income, personal bank statements!

2 to 3 days to receive my own fucking money!

Fuck You Christina!

TL.

Reasonable Surcharge!

$50.00 dollars.

Big Boss Man
08-14-14, 12:20
11.1175 P on August 14 compared to 10.775 on August 13,2014.

Jackson
08-14-14, 19:28
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 6 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = 13.15

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 13.10

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 13.22

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 13.30

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dólar BLUE o Dólar Paralelo" = 13.22

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = 13.198

Rate Actually Received = 13.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.12% (x .9888)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Gandolf50
08-26-14, 22:36
When I left the house dollar blue said the rate was 13.94. When I got down town they were all offering 13.60 and 13.70 on Calle Florida and I thought I was sharp because I was able to get 13.80. But when I got home I see it went up to 14.20. I guess I was not as sharp as I thought I was.

Riina
08-27-14, 00:05
When I left the house dollar blue said the rate was 13.94. When I got down town they were all offering 13.60 and 13.70 on Calle Florida and I thought I was sharp because I was able to get 13.80. But when I got home I see it went up to 14.20. I guess I was not as sharp as I thought I was.If an exchange website shows 14.1 bid and 14.2 offer, what's the bid offer spread in a cueva?

Jackson
08-27-14, 13:37
If an exchange website shows 14.1 bid and 14.2 offer, what's the bid offer spread in a cueva?

Hey Riina,

I don't think I could have answered your question any more accuractly than with the field research I posted JUST TWO POSTS BELOW YOUR QUESTION.

You're welcome.

Jax

Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 6 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = 13.15

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 13.10

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 13.22

DolarBlue.net (http://dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Venta" = 13.30

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dlar BLUE o Dlar Paralelo" = 13.22

Average Published Rate = 13.198

Rate Actually Received = 13.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.12% (x .9888)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Riina
08-27-14, 14:46
Hey Riina,

I don't think I could have answered your question any more accuractly than with the field research I posted JUST TWO POSTS BELOW YOUR QUESTION.

You're welcome.

JaxSorry, I just learned two Spanish words. Compra and venta.

PirateMorgan
08-27-14, 15:45
I have always considered ISG the best source of information about what is happening 'on the ground'. As reported by members. To those of you in Argentina please keep us up on the what is happening 'on the ground'. It seems that another sizeable change in the exchange rates is in progress and I wonder how it is affecting everyday life of expats and local people. It is like watching history happening in front of our eyes. Thanks to all ISG'ers.

Cuanto Cuesta
08-28-14, 00:19
I Screwed up and didn't bring enough dollars with me.

My best option was to access my bank account back home through xoom.com.

5953 pesos for $500 US+ $24.50 fee.

Net rate 11.5 pesos / dollar.

Not as good as the blue market, but, it served me well in a pinch.

Picked up the pesos on Libertad near Santa Fe.

TejanoLibre
08-30-14, 01:13
Yeah, yeah, a lot of you guys go to the Junin Coin Shop near Newport.

A Block away.

My stupid ass, following stupid recommendations on this board sent us to the FAKE COIN SHOP ON JUNIN! YOU KNOW IT AND LOVE IT!

PAID ME 13 TO 1 !

Just PURE LAZYNESS on TL's PART!

Went to Alejandro where I have been telling everybody where to go and he laid down 13.70 !

Paid 14 to 1 yesterday!

No problems!

So the assholes that think that the coin shop pays better are Morons!

It' s VERY probable that the cocksuckers at the coin shop don't know me and don't know what I can do for them, very probable.

If its a few dollars no big deal but the assholes at the coin shop cost us 700 pesos! A nice girl!

So we changed 1000 at 13 and a 1000 at 13.70 so we ended up at 13.35 .

Better than a stick in the ass!

And TL did not make a fucking penny!

Have Fun,

TL

Superman
08-30-14, 13:45
I got 14 at the luggage store.

TejanoLibre
08-30-14, 23:09
I got 14 at the luggage store.That's Alejandro right next door to La Madelein on the corner of Cordoba and Carlos Pellegrini across the street from X.

Good Guy!

TL.

Riina
08-31-14, 13:03
I wish I had a list of underground cuevas like the post below. Since I don't, can someone provide basic direction of how to locate an underground exchange knowing only that they are located around Florida and LaValle. Would you approach barkers and just go with your gut instinct if you were completely without reference to a specific place? Seems the only real risk is fake currency. Any real risk of getting mugged?

Daddy Rulz
08-31-14, 14:45
I wish I had a list of underground cuevas like the post below. Since I don't, can someone provide basic direction of how to locate an underground exchange knowing only that they are located around Florida and LaValle. Would you approach barkers and just go with your gut instinct if you were completely without reference to a specific place? Seems the only real risk is fake currency. Any real risk of getting mugged?On Lavalle, between Esmeralda and Maipu there is a restaurant called Acapulco Restaurant. Directly across Lavalle from that is a gallaria that cuts through to Corrientes. On the right, maybe the 3rd or 4th local is a leather shop. There will be a great big guy standing outside and usually a line of people by the door or against the wall across the hall.

Tada!

Jackson
08-31-14, 15:17
Yeah, yeah, a lot of you guys go to the Junin Coin Shop near Newport.

A Block away.

My stupid ass, following stupid recommendations on this board sent us to the FAKE COIN SHOP ON JUNIN! YOU KNOW IT AND LOVE IT!

PAID ME 13 TO 1 !

Just PURE LAZYNESS on TL's PART!

Went to Alejandro where I have been telling everybody where to go and he laid down 13.70 !

Paid 14 to 1 yesterday!

No problems!

So the assholes that think that the coin shop pays better are Morons!

It' s VERY probable that the cocksuckers at the coin shop don't know me and don't know what I can do for them, very probable.

If its a few dollars no big deal but the assholes at the coin shop cost us 700 pesos! A nice girl!

So we changed 1000 at 13 and a 1000 at 13.70 so we ended up at 13.35 .

Better than a stick in the ass!

And TL did not make a fucking penny!

Have Fun,

TLHey TL,

With all due respect, you voluntarily went to the coin shop and you voluntarily exhanged your dollars for pesos at the rate he offered.

That doesn't make him an asshole.

Anyway, I know that guy as I've lived in that neighborhood years. He knows his rates are not competitive with the "unofficial" exchanges. As he's explained to me, he's a small time retailer who doesn't have access to the wholesale currency exchange rates. Nevertheless, the retail tourists in Recoleta are only too happy to know a place where they can get any rate better than offered by the official exchanges or from using the ATM's.

The bottom line: He's running a currency exchange for tourists, not locals. If you don't like his rates, then don't buy.

Thanks,

Jax.

ThomasGermany
09-02-14, 14:08
Dear board members.

Anyone needing to get rid of Pesos and who wants to exchange for Euros at the going blue rate on the 6th of September in BA, please PM me. What's the current "blue" Euro rate?

ThomasGermany.

Cowpie
09-02-14, 23:03
So based on the rates mentioned:

I can take 1000 USD and get 14,200 peso (hopefully no counterfeit), then turn around and buy back 1000 USD for about 8400 pesos, and have 5800 pesos (or $700 USD) in my pocket?

What am I missing? Or am I right in my thinking.

I'm coming down Oct 29th to Nov 7th. Last time I was there in Nov. 2009 the rate was about 3. 4 to 1 and no blue dollar that I was aware of.

TL not sure if you remember me but I try to get a hold of you.

Tres3
09-02-14, 23:43

I can take 1000 USD and get 14,200 peso (hopefully no counterfeit), then turn around and buy back 1000 USD for about 8400 pesos, and have 5800 pesos (or $700 USD) in my pocket?

What am I missing? Or am I right in my thinking.You are missing the important point that you cannot sell the pesos for anything, much less 8. 40.

Tres3.

Cowpie
09-03-14, 00:27
You are missing the important point that you cannot sell the pesos for anything, much less 8. 40.

Tres3.What about the official exchanges located on Florida.

Dickhead
09-03-14, 01:04
There are no official exchanges since according to Cristina there is no such thing as a dollar.

Rocky2
09-03-14, 01:22
What about the official exchanges located on Florida.Jajajajajajaja.

Jackson
09-03-14, 01:57

What am I missing? Or am I right in my thinking.

I'm coming down Oct 29th to Nov 7th. Last time I was there in Nov. 2009 the rate was about 3. 4 to 1 and no blue dollar that I was aware of.

TL not sure if you remember me but I try to get a hold of you.And to augment Tres3...

You cannot buy dollars at any official exchange unless you have a specific, written authorization from AFIP (the Argentine IRS).

Since you do not qualify for said authorization (you're not an Argentine citizen or resident, you don't have a provable source of income here in Argentina, you don't have an Argentine bank account, etc.), you cannot buy dollars at the official rate from any government authorized entity, including banks, official exchange houses, period.

You also cannot buy dollars at the official rate from any unofficial money exchange. It's not that they're physically restrained from selling you the dollars at the official rate, it's just that they won't do it because they're not stupid.

However, you can buy dollars with pesos at the blue rate at any unofficial money exchange, aka "las cuevas".

I trust that this sufficiently torpedos your aspirations for a financial windfall.

Thanks,

Jax

TejanoLibre
09-03-14, 02:30
And to augment Tres3...

You cannot buy dollars at any official exchange unless you have a specific, written authorization from AFIP (the Argentine IRS).

Since you do not qualify for said authorization (you're not an Argentine citizen or resident, you don't have a provable source of income here in Argentina, you don't have an Argentine bank account, etc.), you cannot buy USD at the official rate from any government authorized entity, including banks, official exchange houses, period.

However, you can buy dollars with pesos at the blue rate at any unofficial money exchange, aka "las cuevas".

I trust that this sufficiently torpedos your aspirations for a financial windfall.

Thanks,

JaxCome on down Hedegehog!

We can beat the system.

TL.

Member #3320
09-03-14, 10:45
And to augment Tres3...

JaxHilarious!

Cowpie
09-03-14, 11:14
Hilarious!Thanks for bursting my bubble y'all.

I was unaware of how the exchanges on the street operate with the blue rate so high, it's been 5 years since I was down there.

I mistakenly thought this board was to help fellow Americans but I guess I was wrong again.

Lesson learned the American way apparently.

Daddy Rulz
09-03-14, 12:23
Thanks for bursting my bubble why'all.

I was unaware of how the exchanges on the street operate with the blue rate so high, it's been 5 years since I was down there.

I mistakenly thought this board was to help fellow Americans but I guess I was wrong again.

Lesson learned the American way apparently.You aren't anywhere near the first person to have expressed this idea on this very thread. There was an Aussie guy a while ago that was certain he could resell his pesos back in Australia at the "official" rate. We tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen and just before he left he had a fire sale on pesos. For you this is the first time you have had this conversation. For us it's more like the 10th, hence the shouts of derision, nothing personal.

If this could be done every currency speculator in the world along with every Argie would do it and empty the treasury in a day, not the six months it's going to take as things are going.

Stinger
09-03-14, 13:03
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-03/argentines-buying-dollars-at-record-clip-as-peso-plunges.html?cmpid=yhoo

Jackson
09-03-14, 13:48
I mistakenly thought this board was to help fellow Americans but I guess I was wrong again.I am helping you, by stopping you from wasting any more of your time.

You're welcome.

Thanks,

Jax.

DavieW
09-03-14, 14:07

Well, your first mistake is in assuming that everyone in the world is American!

:-)

Cowpie
09-03-14, 16:06
FFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK everybody. With no assumption as too your nationality.

Jackson
09-03-14, 16:50
Well, your first mistake is in assuming that everyone in the world is American!

:-)And / or assuming that everyone on this forum is American.

Daddy Rulz
09-03-14, 19:29
FFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK everybody. With no assumption as too your nationality.Allow me to return the sentiment Sr Torta de Vaca.

Dccpa
09-03-14, 20:32
FFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK everybody. With no assumption as too your nationality.I think you guys have brought out his latent homosexuality.

Thomaso276
09-03-14, 20:48
Why would anyone take the name of COWPIE for a forum?

Member #3320
09-03-14, 21:59
Why would anyone take the name of COWPIE for a forum?As per the online dictionary:

Cowpie = a dropping of cow dung.

Now, why would any consider himself / herself that?

TejanoLibre
09-03-14, 22:11
Why would anyone take the name of COWPIE for a forum?CP is a good old boy from where Cowpies grow on trees.

He is a good boy.

Lucky enough to work and live in BA for a while.

How about Tejanolibre?

I'm not a Cubalibre like dickhead once mentioned!

If you sort of know me then you would catch the jest of the Nom de Guerre!

Check out some sites under development. (Parked but not forgotten!).

Buenosaireschicas.

Tejanolibre.

Yeah, Cowpie is ok but I'd rather have a Moonpie!

HotRod11
09-04-14, 01:08
My 8 year old son and I were traveling through a rural area of my city that had lots of cows. My son asked what those round plate sized things were all over the pasture. I explained that they were cow pies. When a cow takes a dump, when it hits the ground it flattens out forming a cow pie. I went on to explain that when the early settlers were here they discovered that if you turned the cow pie over it was soft and if you took a little of that soft cow pie on your finger and rubbed it on your lips it helped with chapped lips. He said how disgusting. I said well it really didn't help heal your chapped lips but it kept you from licking them. A few days later at supper with the entire family my son said "You know dad, my teacher asked us what we learned during summer break, and I told her my dad taught me how to cure chapped lips." After I explained it to her she didn't say anything but she had a very odd look on her face.

My cow pie story.

Dccpa
09-04-14, 13:51
CP is a good old boy from where Cowpies grow on trees.

Yeah, Cowpie is ok but I'd rather have a Moonpie!I think an RC Cola is required to go with a Moonpie, but I suspect you would rather have an RC Culo!

Caricoso
09-05-14, 01:10
I think an RC Cola is required to go with a Moonpie, but I suspect you would rather have an RC Culo!Think twice. You may get the rear end twisted in exchange!

Extraordinary
09-08-14, 00:44
Does anyone know if I can walk into a bank in uruguay and actually talk to a bank teller and take out more than the daily limit that's on the ATMs. I'm looking to take out like 5 or 10 grand. I gave a European debit card. Any help would be great. Thanks.

TejanoLibre
09-08-14, 00:53
Does anyone know if I can walk into a bank in uruguay and actually talk to a bank teller and take out more than the daily limit that's on the ATMs. I'm looking to take out like 5 or 10 grand. I gave a European debit card. Any help would be great. Thanks.Read the board.

Are.

Extraordinary
09-08-14, 01:31
Read the board.

Are.Yea I did. But what I can't find anything about is this. All the posts are about taking with credit cards. I have a debit card and want to take with that.

Thomaso276
09-08-14, 09:48
Yea I did. But what I can't find anything about is this. All the posts are about taking with credit cards. I have a debit card and want to take with that.No can do. You need an account with a Uruguay bank to use their debit card.

Canardly
09-08-14, 17:06
" I have a debit card".

First talk to whoever issued the debit card and see if they will approve the transaction if you can find a willing UY bank.

Then ask them if they have any relationship with a particular UY bank to make things a little easier.

Good luck.

Big Boss Man
09-12-14, 22:37
I am posting so that Dickhead will check my math. The number is so high I do not trust my own work. You can tell I work for a large organization.

So On June 5, using Xoom.com I exchanged at 10.31 P to $1.

Today September 12, I can exchange at 12.9515 P to $1.

So we have seen a ((12.9515/10.31) -1)*100 = 25.6% increase.

It has been 99 days so the daily percentage increase has been ((1. 256^(1/99)) -1)*100 = . 231%.

To the get annual rate: ((1. 002307^365) -1)*100 = 131.88%.

Wow! What is annualized inflation? Do I receive 23.82 P to $1 next June? Simple extrapolation is obviously not the way to forecast currency movements.

Dickhead
09-13-14, 03:13
Pretty dang close. I did the whole calculation with no rounding and I got 131.86% when I rounded the final answer (131.8602985 ... %).

Englishbobaz
09-13-14, 21:24
I did exchange with a friend who live here yesterday 14.00 per 1 $.

Thomaso276
09-13-14, 22:06
You gave your friend a nice discount. It's 14.35 when selling pesos. That's 350 pesos on 1000 dollars.

Englishbobaz
09-14-14, 18:46
Oh well what are friends for.

At least he will change it back for the same rate.

You gave your friend a nice discount. It's 14.35 when selling pesos. That's 350 pesos on 1000 dollars.

Daddy Rulz
09-15-14, 18:34
4,000 pesos buys 200 Euros if anybody is going back and is peso heavy. I know that's probably 50 pesos too much but just wait a day or to and it will be 4100 pesos. Strike now.

Of course you could always find some use for the pesos back there. Bin liner, bird cage, ect.

DavieW
09-16-14, 09:35
4,000 pesos buys 200 Euros if anybody is going back and is peso heavy.

What you doing with Euros Daddy? Been selling your ass again?

;-)

Daddy Rulz
09-16-14, 10:47
What you doing with Euros Daddy? Been selling your ass again?

;-)A guys got to do what a guys got to do to get by.

Favor for a friend, one time deal for monopoly money. He also had some of those pound thingy's, but they aren't real money.

I heard if Scotland goes the Queens going with it because she likes Craichidh better than London. Any truth to that?

DavieW
09-16-14, 11:12
I heard if Scotland goes the Queens going with it because she likes Craichidh better than London. Any truth to that?

Ha, ha! I wouldn't blame her.

There's a huge movement here in the north of England to encourage the Scots to vote 'yes' and to take the north of England with them, just to get away from this totally inept Conservative government!

;-)

Jackpot
09-18-14, 00:15
I'll be coming down to BA with over 10 K USD.

I need advice on the process at both USA and ARG required documentation.

IE. What forms to fill out and where do you get and submit said forms.

Many thanks from those of us who need this info.

Jackpot.

Dickhead
09-18-14, 00:42
You want FinCEN Form 105. Here is a link to the form itself:

www.fincen.gov/fin105_cmir.pdf

You file this on departure from the US. See:

https://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/OLM_035.htm

These are the relevant laws:

31 USA C. 5316; 31 CFR 1010.340 and 1010.306.

The customs form to enter Argentina will ask you if you are carrying more than $10 k. Upon entering Argentina, you will need to fill out Form OM. 2249-A. Here is a link with more information:

http://www.afip.gov.ar/english/touristInformation.asp#g.

"Entry and exit of currency:

Entry of cash or monetary instruments to the Argentine territory (RG 2704).

The travelers, older than 16 years old and emancipated, that bring cash and / or monetary instrument in foreign or national currency for an amount equal or above ten thousand American Dollars ($10,000) to the Argentine territory shall declare said action before the Customs service when entering into the country through the Form OM. 2249-A.

However, the amount shall be of five thousand American Dollars ($5,000) in the case of travelers under the age of 16 years old and not emancipated.

These limits shall be applicable to each traveler or crew. The currency exchange shall be made using the exchange rate of the day prior to the arrival informed by the Bank of the Argentine Nation."

Then AFIP will make a phone call and arrange to have your ass robbed before you get five clicks down the road. Ha ha. Hope that helps!

Easy Go
09-18-14, 05:52
I read that as saying if you bring in more than 10 K, they are going to force you to change it to pesos on arrival at the official rate. Does that automatically give you permission to turn around and buy dollars back at the official rate?

Gandolf50
09-18-14, 06:32
I read that as saying if you bring in more than 10 K, they are going to force you to change it to pesos on arrival at the official rate. Does that automatically give you permission to turn around and buy dollars back at the official rate?Any one who is stupid enough to sell their dollars through the bank at the airport can change pesos for dollars at the same rate when leaving at the bank in the airport.

Gandolf50
09-18-14, 06:36
I'll be coming down to BA with over 10 K USD.

I need advice on the process at both USA and ARG required documentation.

IE. What forms to fill out and where do you get and submit said forms.

Many thanks from those of us who need this info.

Jackpot.Would it not be cheaper to bring the allowable limit in cash and then use one of the "services" to bring in the rest? Paying the 200 USD per 10 k is cheaper than getting fleeced at the bank! (at least that's how much I paid last year, maybe its more now?)

ElAlamoPalermo
09-18-14, 07:24
I read that as saying if you bring in more than 10 K, they are going to force you to change it to pesos on arrival at the official rate. Does that automatically give you permission to turn around and buy dollars back at the official rate?-Any amount of USD can legally be imported into Argentina as long as it is declared AND you are carrying with you abundant proof of the source and legality of the funds, with the higher the amount of cash being carried calling for more paperwork substantiating the origin of the cash. You will not be forced to exchange the USD into local currency.

-A maximum of $10,000 USD or equivalent in other foreign currencies (this includes gold and silver bullion, which is quantified at its metal value, NOT the face value of the gold / silver coins) may be exported from Argentina. Any amounts OVER $10,000 USD in value must be exported in the form of Argentine pesos, declared, and paperwork presented substantiating the origin and legality of the funds.

Jackson
09-18-14, 18:30
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

PLEASE NOTE: These are the published rates to SELL your dollars in exchange for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = 15.00

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 14.90

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 15.03

DolarBlue.net (http://www.dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Compra" = 14.60

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dolar BLUE o Dolar Paralelo" = 15.05

A) Average Published Rate = 14.916

B) Rate Actually Received = 14.90

C) Discount from Average Rate = -0.11% (x .9989)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Gikubik
09-19-14, 13:41
Hello, I would like to know if there are still cuevas working to exchange currency unofficially or only arbolitos in Florida. A coleague is arriving next Wednesday and asking me to exchange in a cueva. When I travel there I always use a friend of mine working in a realstate office but I don't want to point this person there. If cuevas are still working, could anyone give me some address? (I suppose it's allowed through private message, I don't know).

Thank you.

GiK.

Big Boss Man
09-21-14, 12:27
I am posting so that Dickhead will check my math. The number is so high I do not trust my own work. You can tell I work for a large organization.

So On June 5, using Xoom.com I exchanged at 10.31 P to $1.

Today September 12, I can exchange at 12.9515 P to $1.

So we have seen a ((12.9515/10.31) -1)*100 = 25.6% increase.

It has been 99 days so the daily percentage increase has been ((1. 256^(1/99)) -1)*100 = . 231%.

To the get annual rate: ((1. 002307^365) -1)*100 = 131.88%.

Wow! What is annualized inflation? Do I receive 23.82 P to $1 next June? Simple extrapolation is obviously not the way to forecast currency movements.It is up 3. 5% in 11 days.

Dickhead
09-21-14, 12:49
When inflation was at its zenith in the Weimar Republic, the workers demanded to be paid twice a day. Their wives would come to the job site at lunch time to get the money to go grocery shopping before the prices went up again in the afternoon.

I suspect that many latina women view their pussies as a hedge against inflation. It must be nice to sell a product where after you sell it, you still have it. It gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "perpetual inventory."

ElAlamoPalermo
09-21-14, 17:27
I suspect that many latina women view their pussies as a hedge against inflation. It must be nice to sell a product where after you sell it, you still have it. It gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "perpetual inventory."Working women are not "selling" any product; they are essentially "renting" the use of their body for a determined amount of time. Marriage is akin to "buying" the product in question and divorce is akin to eating half (or more) of the resale value of the product.

Big Boss Man
09-27-14, 13:22
Up from 13.4075 6 days ago on September 21,2014. I calculate 5. 5% in a week.

Big Boss Man
10-04-14, 13:42
Up from 13.4075 6 days ago on September 21,2014. I calculate 5. 5% in a week.This week it is quoting 13.8015 down 2. 44% from last week's 14.1475.

HotRod11
10-06-14, 16:11
Anyone know of a way to pull up current blue rate. Google was no help. Dated info. Thanks.

Canardly
10-06-14, 16:21
http://www.dolarblue.net/

Tres3
10-06-14, 16:22
Anyone know of a way to pull up current blue rate. Google was no help. Dated info. Thanks.Try any of the sites shown on the "Exchange Rate" ad on the Front Page of this site.

Tres3.

Daddy Rulz
10-06-14, 16:43
This week it is quoting 13.8015 down 2. 44% from last week's 14.1475.I just got 14.9 today on 500 bucks.

Big Boss Man
10-11-14, 12:55
This week it is quoting 13.8015 down 2. 44% from last week's 14.1475.This October 11, 2014 rate is 13.2211 P to $1. It is down 4.2% from last Saturday and 6.5% from September 27, 2014.

Big Boss Man
10-13-14, 16:35
But it is a large part of who I am.

I saw a 750 ml bottle of Norton Reserva 2011 at Costco today for $11.99. If any of you on the ground is so inclined to check, what is the current price at Disco or in BA?

Dickhead
10-13-14, 20:21
But it is a large part of who I am.

I saw a 750 ml bottle of Norton Reserva 2011 at Costco today for $11.99. If any of you on the ground is so inclined to check, what is the current price at Disco or in BA?I don't see vintages on that one but it sells for about 80p on Mercado Libre:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-522921061-norton-reserva-malbec-de-750-solo-envios-_JM

Big Boss Man
10-13-14, 21:18
I don't see vintages on that one but it sells for about 80p on Mercado Libre:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-522921061-norton-reserva-malbec-de-750-solo-envios-_JMDefinitely the right time for a trip to BA. Decent wine at a great price.

Vitrea
10-19-14, 20:06
Anyone know of a way to pull up current blue rate. Google was no help. Dated info. Thanks.I use this one. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369.

The touts tend to rely on this one more. La nation is a local newspaper and more easily recognized by locals. I carried a link to this on my samsung which helped me get 10 cents more over 500 USD. Ha ha. Not a big deal and is only worth an empanada and a glass of Malbec but it is cool to look like you are well informed.

Dickhead
10-19-14, 20:50
I was wondering if gold and silver prices in BA are based on Cristina's imaginary rate or on the blue rate, or what. If anyone is on Talcahuano, could they got the spot price for gold and/or silver? This would be a way around the 10k cash limitation (bringing junk silver dollars, for example).

Jackson
10-20-14, 00:02
Anyone know of a way to pull up current blue rate. Google was no help. Dated info. Thanks.Okay, for the 10,000 time, here is the list of websites reporting the daily Blue Dolar exchange rates, copied from the Front Page of this forum:

LaNacion.com.ar

Ambito.com

Infobae.com

DolarBlue.net

DolarAlDia.com

Of course, you could simply use the links on the Forum's Front Page.

Thanks,

Jax.

Vitrea
10-21-14, 21:01
May be this was reported before but today (Tuesday, Oct 21st) I found an Blue-exchange place in Ricoletta that is offering the best rates. It is on XXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX.xxxxxxxxx. When I went there this morning there is no line but I saw a line this afternoon. They gave me 20 cents less than the rates published on LaNacion. That is 40 cents more than on Calle Florida...

P.S. I edited the post to remove the address of the exchange. I got a PM from one of the members saying it is "dumb shit to post address for an illegal activity". I am removing it out of respect but personally I think it is foolish to think that the cops do not know the locations of ALL the exchanges. There was actually a cop standing right outside and next to him was the line. Cop was minding his own business and no one cared that he was there.

Canardly
10-22-14, 10:31
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/172762/central-bank-increases-pressure-on-‘blue’.

I wondered why the blue was stuck on 14.70 - and here's the answer.

There's a crackdown on Exchange Houses, hopefully won't last long.

Riina
10-22-14, 20:14
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/172762/central-bank-increases-pressure-on-blue.

I wondered why the blue was stuck on 14.70 - and here's the answer.

There's a crackdown on Exchange Houses, hopefully won't last long.Sounds like they cracked down on the big boys playing with real money. I would think nobody cares about the average Joe hedging himself with dollars.

Jim Mac
10-23-14, 09:36
May be this was reported before but today (Tuesday, Oct 21st) I found an Blue-exchange place in Ricoletta that is offering the best rates. It is on XXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXX.xxxxxxxxx. When I went there this morning there is no line but I saw a line this afternoon. They gave me 20 cents less than the rates published on LaNacion. That is 40 cents more than on Calle Florida...

P.S. I edited the post to remove the address of the exchange. I got a PM from one of the members saying it is "dumb shit to post address for an illegal activity". I am removing it out of respect but personally I think it is foolish to think that the cops do not know the locations of ALL the exchanges. There was actually a cop standing right outside and next to him was the line. Cop was minding his own business and no one cared that he was there.You are correct about the cops. A cop also opens the door for you sometimes at the cueva at Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz. I wonder if your PM correspondent has ever been in BA?

Vitrea
10-23-14, 19:54
You are correct about the cops. A cop also opens the door for you sometimes at the cueva at Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz. I wonder if your PM correspondent has ever been in BA?I agree with you. As I said to my PM correspondent, "Trying to keep the address a secret on an english language sex forum is illogical. The point of this forum is to help fellow punters be efficient with their time. Rest is paranoia with a good dose of over analysis.".

Anyway since the point is to help each other and not argue, I took it down but I will be happy to PM the location if any of you are interested.

Daddy Rulz
10-23-14, 21:19
I agree with you. As I said to my PM correspondent, "Trying to keep the address a secret on an english language sex forum is illogical. The point of this forum is to help fellow punters be efficient with their time. Rest is paranoia with a good dose of over analysis.".

Anyway since the point is to help each other and not argue, I took it down but I will be happy to PM the location if any of you are interested.Woulda been to tell them to fuck off. Or maybe, go fuck yourself. Maybe just a terse Fuck You. But it would have been something along those lines.

You were far nice than I would have been. Tell me the address of the place and I'll post it. I don't post much info about the chicks I'm currently fucking because so many guys are intent on paying them more money than I do which causes me problems because I'm a cheap bastard, but I'll post the address of a cambio.

Aurora
10-23-14, 22:33
Woulda been to tell them to fuck off. Or maybe, go fuck yourself. Maybe just a terse Fuck You. But it would have been something along those lines.

You were far nice than I would have been. Tell me the address of the place and I'll post it. I don't post much info about the chicks I'm currently fucking because so many guys are intent on paying them more money than I do which causes me problems because I'm a cheap bastard, but I'll post the address of a cambio.I got 15 to 1 today! :).

Member #3320
10-24-14, 08:39
I don't post much info about the chicks I'm currently fucking because so many guys are intent on paying them more money than I do which causes me problems Coudn't agree more.

Member #3320
10-24-14, 08:41
I got 15 to 1 today! :).Where did you get 15 to one yesterday?

Aurora
10-25-14, 00:43
Where did you get 15 to one yesterday?My friend! LOL.

Hollywood124
10-29-14, 22:35
I got 14.30 on Monday. Florida, corner with Corrientes in the Galleria in the very back. After many years of going to the same place I did not know it was illegal to use the Exchange Houses to get the "Blue Rate?" I'm going back on Friday and will report on what I get.

BadMan
10-30-14, 16:45
I got 14.50 yesterday.

Hollywood124
10-31-14, 02:14
I got 14.10 on Florida/corner with Corrientes in the Galleria in the very back today about 14:00.

This is my Argentine Grandfather (no relation, just a good friend over the years).

HotRod11
11-03-14, 17:14
Like all of you I bring cash and exchange it on Florida street. Over the last several years I can't remember how many times I have done this with no problem. At a flower stand on Florida st with a very large man, OK big fat guy, about ten days ago I exchanged four hundred dollars and one of the one hundred peso bills was a fake. I have been back several times to confront him but he hasn't been three. I will keep you posted.

PirateMorgan
11-03-14, 17:53
When I asked about people to exchange with...I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?

Dickhead
11-03-14, 21:10
When I asked about people to exchange with. I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?And why would you do that? You start asking around about that and they are going to think you are a nark working for AFIP.

PirateMorgan
11-03-14, 22:39
And why would you do that? You start asking around about that and they are going to think you are a nark working for AFIP.

Well, they don't call you Dickhead for nothing.

TejanoLibre
11-03-14, 22:39
Like all of you I bring cash and exchange it on Florida street. Over the last several years I can't remember how many times I have done this with no problem. At a flower stand on Florida st with a very large man, OK big fat guy, about ten days ago I exchanged four hundred dollars and one of the one hundred peso bills was a fake. I have been back several times to confront him but he hasn't been three. I will keep you posted.Out of about 60 bills you Only received 1 Fake .

That's very good .

The guy that exchanged the money for you may not remember you and even if he does he may not do anything about it .

He might but he will probably tell you that you should have checked All of your bills before you left .

Checking 60 $100 Peso bills in front of 1000's of people is not much fun either .

If you realize that it's Only about $6.50 then it's No big deal .

It happens every once in a while .

Keep the bill so you can recognize Fakes in the future .

Cheap Lesson .

TL.

Dickhead
11-03-14, 22:54
Hey, if you don't want to listen to someone who lived there for years and saw the paranoia first hand (see my reports from Mendoza from June 2012) when trying to use dollars, then don't listen. I'd rather be a dickhead than a fool.

Daddy Rulz
11-04-14, 01:24
When I asked about people to exchange with...I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?????I would just wonder why you would bother. Why try and find somebody to get near the blue rate when you can just go to the cambio and get the blue rate. You can do private deals and get a little more (splitting the buy and sell) but that's generally maybe 2% if you're lucky and you have to chase them down, make arrangements, or you can just stick some dollars in your pocket and go to the cambio.

Now if you're talking about doing it in Cordoba then maybe. Changing dollars outside of BsAs can be difficult. Unless they have some wealth most people don't want dollars because they aren't as liquid there as they are here. I can't speak for Cordoba as I've never tried to change there, these comments are based on my experiences in Corrientes.

Gandolf50
11-04-14, 06:37
Out of about 60 bills you Only received 1 Fake .

That's very good .

The guy that exchanged the money for you may not remember you and even if he does he may not do anything about it .

He might but he will probably tell you that you should have checked All of your bills before you left .

Checking 60 $100 Peso bills in front of 1000's of people is not much fun either .

Cheap Lesson .

TL.Just pass it on to some one else. Thats what I usually do.

PirateMorgan
11-04-14, 08:19
I would just wonder why you would bother. Why try and find somebody to get near the blue rate when you can just go to the cambio and get the blue rate. You can do private deals and get a little more (splitting the buy and sell) but that's generally maybe 2% if you're lucky and you have to chase them down, make arrangements, or you can just stick some dollars in your pocket and go to the cambio.

Now if you're talking about doing it in Cordoba then maybe. Changing dollars outside of BsAs can be difficult. Unless they have some wealth most people don't want dollars because they aren't as liquid there as they are here. I can't speak for Cordoba as I've never tried to change there, these comments are based on my experiences in Corrientes.This is really what I wanted to know about, which is what is the demand for dollars away from exchange houses and street changers. Are people of means always 'hungry' to get there hands on dollars? I am not trying to pimp the conversion rates, just trying to get a sense of the reality of the markets.

Thank you Daddy Rulz.

PirateMorgan
11-04-14, 15:27
Oh no! No Xoom in Cordoba!

Next!

PirateMorgan
11-04-14, 16:54
No Xoom, but looks like RIA to the rescue.

Canardly
11-04-14, 20:50
My regular cueva is taking a siesta as AFIP have been nosy lately.

Found a new place today, thanks to a tip from the guy who cut my hair.

It's in a Galeria one block from the Alvear Palace Hotel, in a faux dress shop, really a full time cambio. The lady exchanges over the table, feels nice, private and safe. Local clientele.

I received 13.30. I wasn't too impressed at the time until I got home and saw the blue had tumbled 40c to 13.50 on http://www.dolarblue.net.

That's the low point for the dollar these last two months.

For those who like statistics the Peso ARS is the best performing currency against the US dollar since September 1st., currently appreciating at an annual rate of 131%! LOL.

PM me for location etc.

Big Boss Man
11-11-14, 19:24
First day here and I was dismayed to receive 12.45 P at a very reliable previously posted spot. I was going to exchange more but cut it in half. Dolarblue.net is 13.20 as I write 4 hours later.

Big Boss Man
11-13-14, 16:24
I received 13.40 P today. I was just unlucky to arrive on a day when there was a momentary blip downward.

Master J
11-15-14, 15:24
Greetings,

I will be in BA on Tuesday and I have been there over 15 times over the years, but the currency exchange thing is throwing me a bit. I see various down the alley near the galleria type posts so I was just wondering if anybody had a genuine specific way of transacting some dollars during my two week stay. I know the Florida Street hawker thing so the the last thing I want to get into is a unsafe transaction. I used to be an American Express trader but I think it's like 8 or 9.

Any genuine helpful tips would be most appreciated. Just looking for no drama.

I will be close to Microcenter.

Thanks in advance.

Also I have read many cell phone tips, but can I buy a reasonable price cell phone just for my two week stay and where? I use an international calling card for .10 cent per minute but some of the contacts won't take a non listed number call.

I know this has all been said before but some tip with the latest information would be helpful.

BobDylan
11-15-14, 15:28
Got 12.60 for the dollar on a Saturday at Florida street.

I must have talked to 15 different people before I found an "arbolito" that seemed reliable but no one would go for more than 12.60.

I hope to have better rates later on the week.

Spassmusssein
11-15-14, 17:28
Greetings,

Also I have read many cell phone tips, but can I buy a reasonable price cell phone just for my two week stay and where? I use an international calling card for .10 cent per minute but some of the contacts won't take a non listed number call.

I know this has all been said before but some tip with the latest information would be helpful.Hi Master, if it helps, I can lent u one of my Blackberrys 9320, liberated 4 all companies here for your stay.

After your stay, just deposit it at the kiosko of a friend in Florida-Street or in friend´s restos in San Thelmo.

Will cost you a cheap wine, if you like wine.

If u are AA or aqualung, you con have it 4 free.

Enjoy your time here.

Master J
11-15-14, 21:18
Greetings,

What a most generous offer. I will take you up on it if that is ok? I will gladly buy lunch, or a bottle of something for you or any thing you request. It takes load off my mind. I will be arriving on Tuesday afternoon in Puerto Madero and it doesn't have be he exact arrival moment. Please let me know how I can contact you. I am older and responsible so you can be assured of me taking care of my end.Thank you again so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Master J.

Spassmusssein
11-15-14, 21:36
Greetings,

What a most generous offer. I will take you up on it if that is ok? I will gladly buy lunch, or a bottle of something for you or any thing you request. It takes load off my mind. I will be arriving on Tuesday afternoon in Puerto Madero and it doesn't have be he exact arrival moment. Please let me know how I can contact you. I am older and responsible so you can be assured of me taking care of my end.Thank you again so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Master J.I could be at a small but honest bar in microcentro tuesday at 17.00hs. As since years TL knows me as good friend, he knows where I usually stay at that time. On Cordoba Ave but NOT Cafe O.

Don´t worry, as I live here since 2002...here are never problems, just solucions.

Have a good incoming!

Master J
11-15-14, 22:01
I could be at a small but honest bar in microcentro tuesday at 17.00hs. As since years TL knows me as good friend, he knows where I usually stay at that time. On Cordoba Ave but NOT Cafe O.

Dont worry, as I live here since 2002...here are never problems, just solucions.

Have a good incoming!Great,

I will check in with you when I am settled and pm or post in to get exact locations. Thanks you again we will be in touch.

Maple Red
11-16-14, 22:47
Out of about 60 bills you Only received 1 Fake .

That's very good .

Cheap Lesson .

TL.I would approach the money changer with the fake bill. Be congenial and non-confrontational. His reaction will be the more valuable learning experience. If he responds acceptably, then you learn he is worth doing further business. Otherwise, use another money changer in the future, and this lesson cost you very little. Given the numerous money changers, and thus competition, you should seek out a reliable counterparty.

Esten
11-17-14, 17:40
Changed a few hundred Saturday on Lavalle, got 12.5 (negotiated up from 12.3).

Changed a small amount Sunday on Lavalle, got 12.8 (negotiated up from 12.6).

Changed a larger amount today Monday at another place, got 12.9. Did not negotiate here, didnt seem like it was possible. This rate was for $100 bills, they only offered 12.4 for $20 bills. Later this afternoon I got quotes of 12.8 and 13 on Lavalle.

Didn't break 13 yet, but still pleased since I was getting 9.5 a year ago.

El Perro
11-17-14, 21:28
$12.80 today at the Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz cueva. Early afternoon and was offered $12.50 a 1/2 hour earlier on Arenales. A lot of volatility lately.

DavieW
11-18-14, 08:35
$12.80 today at the Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz cueva. Early afternoon and was offered $12.50 a 1/2 hour earlier on Arenales. A lot of volatility lately.

Doggboy - you're back in BsAs?! I must have missed the memo!

Commiserations. ;-)

El Perro
11-18-14, 17:10
Doggboy - you're back in BsAs?! I must have missed the memo!

Commiserations. ;-)Can't stay away !

El Perro
11-19-14, 18:14
http://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/analysis/inside-argentinas-blue-dollar-market/

Jackpot
11-20-14, 23:03
http://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/analysis/inside-argentinas-blue-dollar-market/Thanks Dogg for this positively fantastic article on the mysteries of the Blue Dollar !

Mt thoughts are the rate will increase as we get closer to the holiday season and.

The Argie vacation time . Fifteen P to a buck is in the offing.

Can you hold out ?????

Jackpot.

Dickhead
11-20-14, 23:19
I will add my thanks. That was very ingenious about using the relative stock prices in the two markets as a proxy for the exchange rate. It's a similar concept to "purchasing power parity" but a lot simpler to implement.

Tireseus
11-26-14, 13:14
I just got 13.2....I got 15.5 back in September and loaded up, but went through them pretty quickly this trip - and I have yet to pull a chica! I think I'll have to head out to Mia's tonight and rectify that situation.

JoeyDude
12-06-14, 16:11
Ok, getting ready for my first BA trip. I will be staying at king hotel I think it's on corrientes. Any advice how I can find a place to exchange some cash at best rate?

Daddy Rulz
12-06-14, 17:12
Ok, getting ready for my first BA trip. I will be staying at king hotel I think it's on corrientes. Any advice how I can find a place to exchange some cash at best rate?Come out hotel, turn left, go to corner, cross Corrientes, turn left, go to middle of the block, there is a Gallaria that cuts all the way through to Lavalle that has a sex shop as one of the first places. Enter, walk almost to Lavalle (down steps, past LED TV wall mount store, past old stereo store) you will see a leather shop on the left, right there. Don't bring 20's.

Cheerfull
12-09-14, 19:09
AccReceived 12.6 today, downtown BA.

The guy who changes my money, I've used for several years, said if I need more dollars he can provide them, here's how: He sets up an account in his name in some part of the world, I wire the funds from my acct in the US to his acct, and then he takes a commission and provides me with US Dollars. The commission is $150 minimum or 7% of the total. So if I send $2,000 US Dollars to his account I will get $1,850 dollars. Is this the best way to get US Dollars in this country from my USA bank account?

TejanoLibre
12-09-14, 20:21

The guy who changes my money, I've used for several years, said if I need more dollars he can provide them, here's how: He sets up an account in his name in some part of the world, I wire the funds from my acct in the US to his acct, and then he takes a commission and provides me with US Dollars. The commission is $150 minimum or 7% of the total. So if I send $2,000 US Dollars to his account I will get $1,850 dollars. Is this the best way to get US Dollars in this country from my USA bank account?That would work just fine but.

I prefer my deal.

6% of the total with a $100.00 dollar minimum.

$30,000.00 Dollars per day Maximum. (although 1 million USD can be moved with a little notice.)

I know it's only 1% and or a $50.00 dollar difference but that could be substantial at some point.

On another note:

Got 13 to 1 yesterday and a Drink at the same place.

Something called a "Bloody Shame!".

That would be a Bloody Mary without the Vodka.

The above info should allow most of you to figure out where to get a decent rate.

Especially on a Holiday!

TL.

Big Boss Man
12-09-14, 21:46

The guy who changes my money, I've used for several years, said if I need more dollars he can provide them, here's how: He sets up an account in his name in some part of the world, I wire the funds from my acct in the US to his acct, and then he takes a commission and provides me with US Dollars. The commission is $150 minimum or 7% of the total. So if I send $2,000 US Dollars to his account I will get $1,850 dollars. Is this the best way to get US Dollars in this country from my USA bank account?Of course, you would never do this deal for less than $2142.86.

Daddy Rulz
12-23-14, 20:15
All the pages that track the blue dollar are showing up today.

Looking to be back to 14 by the first week of January.

Member #3320
12-23-14, 21:05
All the pages that track the blue dollar are showing up today.

Looking to be back to 14 by the first week of January.I agree. Whats your prediction for the peak value in the peak holiday period?

Daddy Rulz
12-24-14, 04:02
I agree. Whats your prediction for the peak value in the peak holiday period?I'm looking for 16.5 by the February 7th but I think I'm overly optimistic. (It would be nice though) Then a slide back to around 14.5 by middle of March.

Part of me wonders if this recent slide wasn't caused by cuevas colluding to hold the price down to stock up on low cost dollars before the selling spree for vacations. Maybe the ministers applying pressure to be able to buy cheap dollars so they could turn around and sell them in January. They can manipulate that market because they can send out the goon squads because it's illegal. "You saw what happened to Guido over on Reconquista, if you don't want a knock on your door keep it below 13 for the next couple months." That is only imagination on my part though, the oil crash could have had a lot more to do with it.

Member #3320
12-24-14, 16:05
I'm looking for 16.5 by the February 7th but I think I'm overly optimistic. (It would be nice though) Then a slide back to around 14.5 by middle of March.

Part of me wonders if this recent slide wasn't caused by cuevas colluding to hold the price down to stock up on low cost dollars before the selling spree for vacations. Maybe the ministers applying pressure to be able to buy cheap dollars so they could turn around and sell them in January. They can manipulate that market because they can send out the goon squads because it's illegal. "You saw what happened to Guido over on Reconquista, if you don't want a knock on your door keep it below 13 for the next couple months." That is only imagination on my part though, the oil crash could have had a lot more to do with it.I agree with what you are saying. I am predicting 1 USD=17 pesos somewhere between last week Jan and first week Feb. Secondly the best value for USD for first 7-8 months of the year will be in this period (last week Jan. / first week Feb.). I am planning to change enough USD in this period for my expenses of next 5-7 months.

Gandolf50
12-24-14, 16:31
I agree with what you are saying. I am predicting 1 USD=17 pesos somewhere between last week Jan and first week Feb. Secondly the best value for USD for first 7-8 months of the year will be in this period (last week Jan. / first week Feb.). I am planning to change enough USD in this period for my expenses of next 5-7 months.LOL! If it hits 17 I will gladly buy you dinner! One can always hope!

Riina
12-26-14, 18:53
I am planning to change enough USD in this period for my expenses of next 5-7 months.That does not make financial sense. I'd rather hold good hard money than shit soft money.

Daddy Rulz
12-26-14, 19:38
That does not make financial sense. I'd rather hold good hard money than shit soft money.It would have made sense last year.

Generally speaking it's better to hold dollars than pesos but last year there was an exception. Around the end of January the peso hit 13 or so, then about a week later it slid to right around 10 and it didn't get back to 13 until August so if you hedged some in February you were ahead of the game for 6 months.

http://soberlook.com/2014/08/argentinas-blue-dollar-market-hits-60.html

I don't know if it will be that much for that long this year but if it goes as normal it probably will for two or three months. In January and the beginning of February there's a big demand for actual physical dollars because of people going out of the country on vacation which usually results in a pretty big spike in the exchange rate.

Here is another one showing the same effect, though smaller, in 2013.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NYZDDKJFAvc/UXVeYVyj-eI/AAAAAAAAVVM/MpzGJJZtmwY/s1600/arg_dolar_blue_2013.gif

Last year they had a program where people were supposed to be able to buy dollars if you were going on vacation but they just turned most people down that applied. This year though my friends that work in white have been able to actually buy those dollars (one friend could get about 200 a month) at the official rate so I don't know if that same demand will be there but considering the general lack of planning one sees here I'm assuming there will be some effect though how great is anybody's guess.

Member #3320
12-27-14, 02:35
That does not make financial sense. I'd rather hold good hard money than shit soft money.I have been having that conservative approach for most of 2014 but ultimately whenever the peso devalued, Feb'14 and Sept'14, I decided to wait and see what happens. End result. It came back to almost 3 pesos lesss versus dollar.

Eg Feb '14

14. 5 $= 1 us $.

April '14

11. 5 $ = 1 us $.

Again,

Sept '14

15.5 $= 1 us $.

Dec'14

12. 8 $ = 1 us $.

So I have decided I will take the plunge this time in Feb'15. Lets see what happens. Anyway, I live here and need pesos throughout the year. So might as well try this experiment.

El Queso
12-31-14, 14:50
I saw an article a couple of days ago, don't remember where, that was talking about someone in the government indicating that Argentina would "normalize" it's currency in 2015. I doubt very much that they will let the official rate go to 15 or so, the last calculation I'd seen that indicated where the peso really should be as related to the US Dollar. But I would bet that we'll see over $10 USD (around 10.6? A roughly 25% increase was what I'd heard) for the official rate sometime in mid-to-late January or even early February. It was early in 2014 (mid January was it?) that we saw the official price go up from 6-something to 8-something pretty much overnight then creeping up to 8.5/8.6 and pretty much staying there most of the year.

I had previously predicted we'd see $15 blue rate at the end of this year, but I didn't expect the government to become so concerned about the blue market as they did toward the end of the year. I'm not sure what that really means for the blue market this coming year with the government and a rising official rate. With inflation I'd sure love to see 15+, but I fear that while the insane woman is in office (and maybe if her party wins the presidency yet again in October? Christ on a crutch.) they will battle with the cuevas as long as possible to keep that rate down. If they are interested in "normalizing" their official rate, I can't believe they'd let the blue market rate soar much past where it is now, maybe trying to keep it between 13 and 14 at least the first half of the year.

Better than 12, but still nowhere near reality.

As far as the demand for Dollars, I don't think it's so much from citizens trying to get their dollars "legally" with government approval. I think too many Argentinos can't get their money legally that way, for various reasons and even if they could, the government limiting that keeps the demand pretty low in the face of the $8-billion-some-odd market that is the blue market (a number I'd read somewhere a few months ago, but can't site source because I don't remember!

But at any rate, I'd not sell all my dollars for pesos at one time, for a months' supply of pesos. There is no telling what's going to happen here. I doubt we'll see blue prices going down to match the official rate, and I doubt the official rate will rise to match the blue. I'd bet on small increases in the gap of the blue in the next six months at worst, maybe a roughly stable price, but it would be a sheer gamble to buy a whole bunch of pesos at, say, $14 and thinking that the price may go down from there. May go down a little bit with fluctuations but I can't believe that it would go down and stay down.

BTW. The blue rate didn't hit 14.5 in February 2014. It spiked at $13.10 in late January and fell to $11.65 three weeks later, and then by mid-April had fallen to $10.44. (http://dolarblue.net/historico/).

That spike price in February is actually pretty close to where it is today. But you would have had to have been a wizard to know that it would be good to buy for the next 6 months. We may see a spike again after the official rate "normalizes" (I. E. , whatever they're going to actually do), and it might be a good time to buy quantity, but you never know. Hell, it might even go higher than the possibly coming spike this time around sfter a couple of months. A lot depends on how well Cristina's policies go in the next few months and the holdout situation, etc.

PirateMorgan
12-31-14, 15:14
In any long range movement of markets spikes are inevitable. They are usually impossible to predict so why try. The fact that the Argentine Peso has an average depreciation against the dollar should offer sufficient comfort to those who live by changing dollars to pesos. The expansion and contraction of the the Blue Dollar premium is totally emotional so why try to predict unless someone needs something to talk about or likes to gamble. That premium could expand or collapse over night so really I ask, "what me worry"? Signed-Alfred E. Neuman.

Daddy Rulz
12-31-14, 15:57
I've been saying this for a couple months. Until just recently the rate was pretty hard on 12.5 I think we will see a 20% rise topping out around 16 the last week of January followed by a slide a 12-15% slide by Valentines day to stabilize around 13.5-14 which will hold until June. I'm not going to argue about it, I'm just putting it here so I can't wiggle.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Member #3320
12-31-14, 21:49
topping out around 16 the last week of January .Topping aroud 16.5 ~ 17 between 28 Jan ~ 5th Feb.

PirateMorgan
01-03-15, 02:44
IMO what is really interesting about the Peso is that the price of the Peso is now below the panic selloff of last January regardless of where the Blue Dollar is. In the end it is the price of the Peso itself against the dollar that underpins the Blue Dollar. The picture then looks like a Picasso for those who are steady monthly converters of USA Dollars. Better a steady decline that goes on forever than some economic event that forces a potentially unknown change in what is now a sweet course.

Spikes in markets just signal problems or ruin. Look at the spike in gold from $1700 to $1900. The holders of gold were doing just fine before the spike. And if someone wants an econ laboratory then look at the crude oil movements of late. In any free market you would certainly be looking at a spike of a momentous degree. Then selling oil would be just dumb. Spikes signal ends of moves, not the beginning of new moves. So let's hope for more dumb government and no spikes!

Daddy Rulz
01-03-15, 04:43
So let's hope for more dumb government and no spikes!Spikes make for excellent purchasing periods for big ticket items. There's always a lag between inflation and the blue dollar when the peso drops. In October / November when it spiked to 14 I was able to buy a new TV and Surround Sound for less than what the same makes and models would have cost me new at Amazon in the states which because of the import tariffs is unheard of here.

January will be an excellent time to buy TV's, computers, laptops, refrigerators, furniture, ect.

Otherwise I agree, a long steady decline that keeps me above inflation is fine.

Droplet
01-04-15, 07:32
13.3 is the current rate on Florida. Changed some yesterday.

If you people thinks it will go higher towards end of Jan. I may save some of my dollars till then as I'm flying out of Buenos Aires at the end of the month.

JoeyDude
01-06-15, 09:22
Come out hotel, turn left, go to corner, cross Corrientes, turn left, go to middle of the block, there is a Gallaria that cuts all the way through to Lavalle that has a sex shop as one of the first places. Enter, walk almost to Lavalle (down steps, past LED TV wall mount store, past old stereo store) you will see a leather shop on the left, right there. Don't bring 20's.DR, I've changed hotels to the republic wellness spa and hotel on corrientes and cerrito. Any blue rates place near there. Thanks for all your help.

JoeyDude
01-06-15, 13:52
DR, I've changed hotels to the republic wellness spa and hotel on corrientes and cerrito. Any blue rates place near there. Thanks for all your help.I just realized I will be arriving on Saturday morning, I read that most blue rate locations are closed. Any idea on a place that might be open and near my hotel.

WorldTravel69
01-06-15, 14:53
You will be only a few blocks away from the guys hawking for dollars.

Why do you want to stay in that area?

Retiro or Recoleta would be more fun.

I just realized I will be arriving on Saturday morning, I read that most blue rate locations are closed. Any idea on a place that might be open and near my hotel.

JoeyDude
01-06-15, 15:20
You will be only a few blocks away from the guys hawking for dollars.

Why do you want to stay in that area?

Retiro or Recoleta would be more fun.Hmmm, the hotel was listed on a map from this site, I figured it was in the heart of the action. I could change it if you think it's that bad there. It will cost me a few buck but don't want to to have travel very far for action.

WorldTravel69
01-06-15, 15:31
If you like clubs Ness, Cattos, Hook, and is not that far from Newport, Exedra and Orleans the heart would Av. Cordoba. There are massage places and Privados everywhere.

It is not bad on Av. Corrientes, they have great theatre stage shows. Great music shows, etc. Noisy.

Hmmm, the hotel was listed on a map from this site, I figured it was in the heart of the action. I could change it if you think it's that bad there. It will cost me a few buck but don't want to to have travel very far for action.

JoeyDude
01-06-15, 17:05
If you like clubs Ness, Cattos, Hook, and is not that far from Newport, Exedra and Orleans the heart would Av. Cordoba. There are massage places and Privados everywhere.

It is not bad on Av. Corrientes, they have great theatre stage shows. Great music shows, etc. Noisy.It appears to be only a short walk from what it looks like on a map. So you don't think I'll have a problem finding some blue rate spots on Saturday? What street has these guys hawking dollars?

WorldTravel69
01-06-15, 22:56
If there are tourists there will Hawkers.

On Lavalle, Corrientes and Florida.

Watch out for counterfeit bills. Be sure you have exact fair for taxis. They are notorious for giving phony bills.

It appears to be only a short walk from what it looks like on a map. So you don't think I'll have a problem finding some blue rate spots on Saturday? What street has these guys hawking dollars?

JoeyDude
01-06-15, 23:38
If there are tourists there will Hawkers.

On Lavalle, Corrientes and Florida.

Watch out for counterfeit bills. Be sure you have exact fair for taxis. They are notorious for giving phony bills.Any place you can recommend. I plan on exchanging just the once so want to do it right.

Thanks for all your help? Can I bring anything from the states?

TejanoLibre
01-07-15, 00:18
It appears to be only a short walk from what it looks like on a map. So you don't think I'll have a problem finding some blue rate spots on Saturday? What street has these guys hawking dollars?If you are going to be staying at the Hotel Republica then you will be walking distance to everything downtown.

2 blocks from the Currency Exchange places.

4 blocks from Excedra.

5. 5 blocks from the Hooker Bars.

Surrounded by Privados.

You will feel like a Tampon!

White and Surrounded by Pussy!

Need a Guide?

TL.

Don't worry about Fake Pesos and Dishonest Taxi Drivers.

They are out there but not as common as before.

I received 780 $100.00 Peso bills on Saturday and they were all real.

I have only seen 1 fake in about 4 years and I exchange almost everyday.

WorldTravel69
01-07-15, 01:27
I will PM you with some other info.

Any place you can recommend. I plan on exchanging just the once so want to do it right.

Thanks for all your help? Can I bring anything from the states?

Dickhead
01-07-15, 01:54
I will PM you with some other info.And you won several NCAA championships.

JoeyDude
01-07-15, 10:59
If you are going to be staying at the Hotel Republica then you will be walking distance to everything downtown.

2 blocks from the Currency Exchange places.

4 blocks from Excedra.

5. 5 blocks from the Hooker Bars.

Surrounded by Privados.

You will feel like a Tampon!

White and Surrounded by Pussy!

Need a Guide?

TL.

Don't worry about Fake Pesos and Dishonest Taxi Drivers.

They are out there but not as common as before.

I received 780 $100.00 Peso bills on Saturday and they were all real.

I have only seen 1 fake in about 4 years and I exchange almost everyday.What street should I walk on to find currency exchange places?

So you know my hotel, how easy will it be to get girls into my room?

TejanoLibre
01-07-15, 13:15
What street should I walk on to find currency exchange places?

So you know my hotel, how easy will it be to get girls into my room?The Currency Exchange places will find You.

Directly across the widest avenue in the world (9 de Julio) from your hotel. Carlos Pellegrini.

2nd. Street on your left (Lavalle) becomes a Pedestrian street. (begins 900 block of Lavalle) .

Walk from the 900 block of Lavalle to about the 400 block.

You will be bombarded with offers to exchange currency every 5 feet.

There are no Official places that you would want to deal with. They are All clandestine.

DR gave you directions to his favorite.

Have Fun,

TL.

Are you from Australia?

Oh yeah, no problem with girls getting into your room as long as they have an I.D Card.

JoeyDude
01-07-15, 13:37
The Currency Exchange places will find You.

Directly across the widest avenue in the world (9 de Julio) from your hotel. Carlos Pellegrini.

2nd. Street on your left (Lavalle) becomes a Pedestrian street. (begins 900 block of Lavalle) .

Walk from the 900 block of Lavalle to about the 400 block.

You will be bombarded with offers to exchange currency every 5 feet.

There are no Official places that you would want to deal with. They are All clandestine.

DR gave you directions to his favorite.

Have Fun,

TL.

Are you from Australia?

Oh yeah, no problem with girls getting into your room as long as they have an I.D Card.I am from USA, NYC.

El Perro
01-07-15, 13:48
I am from USA, NYC.With a name like Joeydude where else would you be from! East Bronx?

JoeyDude
01-07-15, 14:04
With a name like Joeydude where else would you be from! East Bronx?Yes, I am a Bronx boy. Wow you are good!

JoeyDude
01-08-15, 17:52
I am starting my trip in Argentina but will end my trip in Rio. Would I benefit from exchanging pesos that I got using the blue rate into reals, or should I just exchange dollars for reals?

Tres3
01-08-15, 18:17
I am starting my trip in Argentina but will end my trip in Rio. Would I benefit from exchanging pesos that I got using the blue rate into reals, or should I just exchange dollars for reals?About the only place that an Argentine peso is worth anything is Argentina. If you can find a Brazilian who will take your pesos, you will most likely take a haircut. Foreign countries do not want pesos. Even at the borders of adjacent countries people do not want pesos. That is why you should change only what you need.

Tres3.

JoeyDude
01-08-15, 18:20
About the only place that an Argentine peso is worth anything is Argentina. If you can find a Brazilian who will take your pesos, you will most likely take a haircut. Foreign countries do not want pesos. Even at the borders of adjacent countries people do not want pesos. That is why you should change only what you need.

Tres3.It's what I figured but thought I would ask. Thanks.

WorldTravel69
01-08-15, 22:33
If you throw them into the Trevi fountain in Rome, the fountain most likely spit them back at you. "Three coins in the fountain", for those who do not know or remember the song.

I am starting my trip in Argentina but will end my trip in Rio. Would I benefit from exchanging pesos that I got using the blue rate into reals, or should I just exchange dollars for reals?

AllIWantIsLove
01-22-15, 22:17
13.3 Today (Thur. Jan 22nd) for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30 pm.

Wild Walleye
01-27-15, 18:36
I am starting my trip in Argentina but will end my trip in Rio. Would I benefit from exchanging pesos that I got using the blue rate into reals, or should I just exchange dollars for reals?Try to get to EZE or the aeroparque with just enough pesos to get through the terminal. Spend them all, even if it is buying magazines and gum.

AllIWantIsLove
01-28-15, 12:03
I use this place from time to time and I think in the past they have always shown me the rate and waited for my consent before taking my money and counting out the pesos. On Monday I held up my two $100 bills and waited for the guy to show me what rate I would be receiving. But he reached for the bills, took them and began the transaction. Since I always have felt that I receive a fair rate here I did not object. But I really need to learn how to inquire about the rate (and understand the answer).

Bob.

El Perro
01-28-15, 13:04
I use this place from time to time and I think in the past they have always shown me the rate and waited for my consent before taking my money and counting out the pesos. On Monday I held up my two $100 bills and waited for the guy to show me what rate I would be receiving. But he reached for the bills, took them and began the transaction. Since I always have felt that I receive a fair rate here I did not object. But I really need to learn how to inquire about the rate (and understand the answer).

Bob.Tell them how many dollars you have and ask for the rate before you pull the dollars out of your pocket. That said, $13.30 is not a bad current rate at all.

FYI, I went by this cueva last Saturday about 11 AM and they were closed. I remember a few years ago they were open on Saturdays.

Daddy Rulz
01-28-15, 13:40
Fuck, no January effect this year at all. What a pisser.

AllIWantIsLove
01-28-15, 14:53
Tell them how many dollars you have and ask for the rate before you pull the dollars out of your pocket. That said, $13.30 is not a bad current rate at all.

FYI, I went by this cueva last Saturday about 11 AM and they were closed. I remember a few years ago they were open on Saturdays.But what's the Spanish for what I need to ask? I'm pretty sure that cotizacion would be part of it but what are the other words? "Cual es el cotizacion?" I don't think that cotizacion is used in other countries but I see it used here.

El Perro
01-28-15, 15:12
But what's the Spanish for what I need to ask? I'm pretty sure that cotizaciand would be part of it but what are the other words? seeal es el cotizaciand? ?? I don't think that cotizaciand is used in other countries but I see it used here.I doubt my miserable Spanish is any better than yours! I say "Tengo cinco cien dolares" (as an example), and then ask for the "rate" in English. They know what "rate" means!

TejanoLibre
01-28-15, 16:06
But what's the Spanish for what I need to ask? I'm pretty sure that cotizacin would be part of it but what are the other words? "Si al es el cotizacin?" I don't think that cotizacin is used in other countries but I see it used here.This should be good enough:

"Cuanto vale el Dolar hoy?" " How much is the Dollar worth today?

They usually counter with:

"Compra o Venta?" " Buying or Selling?

You say:

"Venta. " , "Cambio. " That you are Selling, exchanging.

And yes, $13.30 for a small amount seems good enough.

May actually be $13.45 but what can you do with the $30 p that you left on the table?

TL.

TejanoLibre
01-28-15, 19:40
If you are down here for an extended amount of time or you can't bring enough money with you because of the limits, this company allows you to send money to yourself from the United States.

Using your account in the USA:

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/send-money?f=Ramiro&xtl_client_id=88002&e={emailreplacement0}&xtl_advocate_last_name=Guerrero&xtl_share_id=6109502387130387015&xtl_click_id=6109505731093868041&l=Guerrero&cid=raf_ext_dsk_all_all_pd__raf____ad_acq_en_us_&xtl_site_id=1a533824835928b905516253&xtl_zone_name=friend_landing_coupon&ref=tellapal&languageCode=$languageCode&_rt=bac-all-referafriend&xtl_campaign_id=520 aceb95 e29 ccb0 f900077 f&xtl_advocate_first_name=Ramiro.

We also both get paid if you use that link.

Free Money.

It's a referral program.

You pick-up your Pesos (NEVER DOLLARS) on Libertad and Santa Fe in a perfectly safe office that is like a Western Union but the rates to send money are a lot cheaper and the exchange rate is a lot better.

Maybe 11.75 to 1 today. Changes all the time.

Western ONION is probably 8. 5 to 1 .

A lot of us use this method all the time.

Works great to send money to your GFs too.

TL.

ElAlamoPalermo
01-29-15, 00:17
Fuck, no January effect this year at all. What a pisser.There are four primary reasons to explain this:

1. The "dolar ahorro" is in full effect; basically any Argentine worker earning about 10 k pesos or more per month in white can use up to 20% of their salary to buy USD at the official rate +20 %; they take those USD and sell them immediately at a cueva for an instant profit. This provides significant liquidity to the blue market.

2. The government essentially banned CCL (contado con liquidacion) operations and shut down / corralled several investment banks for allegedly abusing these types of financial operations.

3. The economy is in full recession. Just take a look at all the empty storefronts in prime locations all over the good neighborhoods in the CABA. There is simply far less disposable income floating around than there was in prior years.

4. The government continues to intervene in the parallel market by selling ANSES held dollar denominated bonds; this is basically selling off the pension fund's assets to temporarily subsidize the USD price at a time of global USD appreciation; truly disgraceful!

AllIWantIsLove
02-03-15, 19:31
13.0 Today (Tues. Feb. 3rd) for US $100 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30 pm.

PirateMorgan
02-03-15, 22:19
There was some advice on a previous post that suggested using XOOM was a great idea. I disagree as long as you do not need the money and can wait six days. Actually I think that the recipient of the advice mentioned he was not in a hurry.

If you sent $2000 from a USA Bank account for pickup in Argentina, delivered in Pesos, via Xoom, right this minute, the money would transfer at a rate of 11.80 pesos with charge up front of $30.

The same transaction via RIA would be done at 12.09 pesos delivered in Argentina with a $10.00 charge up front.

The difference is. 29 pesos x $2000 = 580 pesos. 580 pesos at approx. 13 to the dollar = $44.61. $44.61 + $20 difference in up front fees = $64.61. $64.61 in Argentina is a steak and a blow job.

You are not going to poke holes in my argument this time.

Carlospalermo
02-04-15, 22:54
Hello I'm looking for 500 dollars I can pay 13.30/1 for them. I'm in palermo we can meet in a public place for the safety of both parties. Yes I've just joined, so for brave souls only. Pm for details.

Dosruedas
02-04-15, 23:33
Hello I'm looking for 500 dollars I can pay 13.30/1 for them. I'm in palermo we can meet in a public place for the safety of both parties. Yes I've just joined, so for brave souls only. Pm for details.Right now I'm in Las Vegas. I'll be in BA 19 February for a few weeks. I know its a long way away. But if you're still in need for some USD. Let me know. Dos are.

AllIWantIsLove
02-05-15, 20:06
13.0 Today (Thur. Feb. 5rd) for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

Jackson
02-06-15, 18:53
Greetings Everyone,

PLEASE NOTE: These are the published rates to SELL your dollars in exchange for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Venta" = 13.30

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 13.20

DolarBlue.net (http://www.dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Compra" = 13.20

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dolar BLUE o Dolar Paralelo" = 13.25

A) Average Published Rate = 13.21

B) Rate Actually Received = 13.05

C) Discount from Average Rate = -01.22% (x .9878)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Carlospalermo
02-06-15, 20:32
Right now I'm in Las Vegas. I'll be in BA 19 February for a few weeks. I know its a long way away. But if you're still in need for some USD. Let me know. Dos are.Well so far you're my best offer but I hope I get something sooner.

AllIWantIsLove
02-09-15, 21:36
12.8 Today (Mon Feb. 9th) for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

Down by .2 pesos from what I received 6 days ago.

Thomaso276
02-11-15, 14:01
Anyone heading back home who has some 50 or 100 dollar bills left over? I have a stack of 20's to swap. They are tuff to xchange here. Will take whatever you have. Lunch on me for 500 or more. Thanks.

Thomaso276
02-11-15, 16:26
Carnival this weekend. FYI, some change houses closed Mon. & Tues.

AllIWantIsLove
02-15-15, 12:06
I got exactly the same rate less than two hours later at Cervio y Ortiz.

AllIWantIsLove
02-15-15, 12:12
That's the same rate as I received less than two hours earlier at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad).

A sign said that they are closed Saturdays in Jan. And Feb. , which must mean that they are open Saturdays during other months.

AllIWantIsLove
02-18-15, 19:12
12.75 Today Wed. Feb. 18th for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

Wild Walleye
02-19-15, 02:08
If I make it down, next week (we'll see what Murphy has to say about it), I'll be looking to exchange a few dollars for pesos. I will only deal with established senior AP members and will give you slightly better than blue rate exchange. PM me for details.

Carlospalermo
02-22-15, 22:21
Right now I'm in Las Vegas. I'll be in BA 19 February for a few weeks. I know its a long way away. But if you're still in need for some USD. Let me know. Dos are.I have sent you a pm.

El Perro
02-26-15, 16:56
12.75 Today Wed. Feb. 18th for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.Dropped by here today. No pesos for sale.

El Perro
02-27-15, 15:28
That's the same rate as I received less than two hours earlier at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad).

A sign said that they are closed Saturdays in Jan. And Feb. , which must mean that they are open Saturdays during other months.I went by here today and it was closed. Two cuevas in two days not open.

Jackson
02-27-15, 18:53
Greetings Everyone,

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = 13.00

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 12.93

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 13.03

DolarBlue.net (http://www.dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Compra" = 12.90

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dolar BLUE o Dolar Paralelo" = 13.00

A) Average Published Rate = 12.972

B) Rate Actually Received = 12.90

C) Discount from Average Rate = -0.55% (x .9944)

You're welcome.

Jackson

AllIWantIsLove
02-27-15, 19:18
I went by here today and it was closed. Two cuevas in two days not open.Yes, I discovered that too (at around 4 pm). But there was a sign in the window saying "cerrado por duelo" which my dictionary says means closed owing to bereavement.

Bob.

AllIWantIsLove
03-02-15, 13:44
No sign saying when it will reopen. And unfortunately I have no telephone number for the place.

AllIWantIsLove
03-02-15, 13:46
12.5 Today Mon. Mar 2nd for US $400 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

El Perro
03-02-15, 14:33
12.5 Today Mon. Mar 2nd for US $400 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.Same here for $500.

TejanoLibre
03-03-15, 09:46
Same here for $500.Vacations are almost over so fewer Locals need dollars.

That's my opinion.

Still from a constant $12.75 to $12.90 to $12.50 in just a few days is no fun.

Alex told me that a few places were shut down also.

I'm stuck with a $500.00 Euro note because I was nice enough to exchange the guy's Euro during the Dakar rally.

At that point it was about $7,800 peso for a 500 euro note.

So this asshole orders a $90.00 peso drink and expects change in Pesos.

They wanted to kill him and me for asking!

Damn Indians!

Not Feathers!

Dots!

Cost me about a grand so far to be nice because of the drop in demand and value!

They are not even attractive bills! No dead Presidents!

I'm not an exchange house.

I do know a guy that pays $13.00 to 1 for dollars but you may have to buy something.

Maybe commit a felony or 2 .

Try Alex in front of X.

11 am till 5:55 pm.

Or LEO.

Good guys I think. In the luggage store on Pellegrini and Cordoba.

Primicia.

Suerte,

TL.

Mac420
03-03-15, 15:47
Theres a bald guy that works the news stand on florida, hes great with exchanging dollars, euros, etc. Very negotiable. Been to him many times, good luck.

AllIWantIsLove
03-09-15, 18:23
12.3 for US $400 Today, Mar 9th, at Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño.

AllIWantIsLove
03-12-15, 11:00
12.4 Wed. Mar 11 for US $100 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

AllIWantIsLove
03-19-15, 12:10
12.65 Wed. Mar 18 for US $200 at 1245 Arenales (near Libertad) M-F 10 am - 5:30.

Riina
03-19-15, 13:14
Hi guys,

Here's my cambio cheat sheet taken from past posts.

1. The coin shop
2. The leather shop
3. The Luggage Store
4. "Western Union"
5. Shop 32 in Galeria Colon
6. Store on Lavalle with Aaron.

Are these cambio's still working and recommended? Any further comment on a specific place is well appreciated. Thank you.

AllIWantIsLove
03-21-15, 11:47
12.5 for US $300 Mar 20th, at Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño.

Gandolf50
03-21-15, 19:06
$12.60 today at the hole in the wall in Moreno for $500U$D.

BadMan
03-23-15, 18:48
The price won't hit 13;1 anytime soon.

Gandolf50
03-23-15, 21:18
The price won't hit 13;1 anytime soon.The posted price for the blue will, but what you can actually get on the street is something else lately.

BadMan
03-23-15, 21:53
The posted price for the blue will, but what you can actually get on the street is something else lately.Cueva prices are dolar ambito prices and I don't see them pushing past the13;1 resistance marker any time soon. This dos based on much more than market sentiment. But keep hope alive.

BadMan
03-27-15, 00:00
Another WWIII proxy war in Yemen just started. Oil futures getting a temporary boost. If it fizzles I don't expect the Peso to see much movement. If it heats up and oil futures surge I'd look for a weakened USD and a strong Peso. Very interesting development for the markets. Stupid Saudis. International war crimes. Breach of UN charter. Open act of aggression. Would the Americans cry foul if Russia openly started bombing Ukraine? Hypocrites. Lol. Anyway. Stay tuned. Things might get interesting.

Bobby Doerr
04-08-15, 18:22
I got my housing covered. How much dough do you think I should I bring down to exchange if I'm staying 3 months?

Daddy Rulz
04-08-15, 22:08
I got my housing covered. How much dough do you think I should I bring down to exchange if I'm staying 3 months?Even if you don't use it you can always find somebody that will be willing to buy it from you with a wire transfer in the states. Even if you can't they won't spoil so you can take them back home with you.

Tres3
04-09-15, 01:30
I got my housing covered. How much dough do you think I should I bring down to exchange if I'm staying 3 months?If you want to be different and not break the law, bring the entire $10,000 that Argentine law permits. Whether or not you declare it at EZE is up to you. In the current environment, I would not want ANYONE to know that I had that much USD cash. You only need to change a small amount into pesos as you need them. Pesos are worthless anywhere but Argentina. If the place you are staying does not have a safe, buy one. You can always take any unspent USD back to the USA.

Tres3.

Bobby Doerr
04-09-15, 14:31
No way I'm walking out of EZE with 10 G's in cash. Just trying to figure the range an average guy spends a month or a week excluding housing,babes and booze. I got those three covered. Walking around money, like grocery shopping (in supermarkets), laundry, dry cleaning, maid service a couple a mornings a week, hospital med insurance, taxis, cell cards, calls, etc. Is what I'm talking. Is it comparable to the US or 25% moreor 25% less? What's you best guess?

El Perro
04-09-15, 15:24
No way I'm walking out of EZE with 10 G's in cash. Just trying to figure the range an average guy spends a month or a week excluding housing,babes and booze. I got those three covered. Walking around money, like grocery shopping (in supermarkets), laundry, dry cleaning, maid service a couple a mornings a week, hospital med insurance, taxis, cell cards, calls, etc. Is what I'm talking. Is it comparable to the US or 25% moreor 25% less? What's you best guess?You're not obligated to declare any cash up to $10,000. I've come through EZE with $10,000 and more and never a problem. If you are worried about getting taken by a bent cabbie then contact Silver Star for a secure ride into town. Don't be put off by the fear mongering.

Nobody here knows how much you will need because everybody has a different budget. The bottom line is that you don't want to get caught short of dollars because getting dollars here is a pain in the ass.

Bobby Doerr
04-10-15, 18:20
Not too worried about getting mugged, but why carry a wad of money out of EZE when once in a while you might ETF yourself dough online through Western Union? I'm thinkin' you send US Dollars from your credit/debit card or bank online through WU to yourself in BA. Or have the Argies stopped WU from paying a receiver in US dollars? According to WU this morning, if asked, WU in Argentina will pay in US Dollars. Anyone out there know if that's true?

Gandolf50
04-11-15, 21:07
Not too worried about getting mugged, but why carry a wad of money out of EZE when once in a while you might ETF yourself dough online through Western Union? I'm thinkin' you send US Dollars from your credit/debit card or bank online through WU to yourself in BA. Or have the Argies stopped WU from paying a receiver in US dollars? According to WU this morning, if asked, WU in Argentina will pay in US Dollars. Anyone out there know if that's true?Im guessing people dont read older posts. But if he wants to lose 30% of his cash he can use western union all day longggggggg.

TejanoLibre
04-11-15, 21:35
Im guessing people dont read older posts. But if he wants to lose 30% of his cash he can use western union all day longggggggg.Use Xoom !

Cheap Fees and decent limit .

2 blocks from the AP house .

Legit bills and close to blue exchange . You can send up to $2999.00 Dollars per day I think.

Use this link :http://refer.xoom.com/v2/share/6136628123340402916.

Fee Calculator :https://www.xoom.com/money-transfer-fees.

A lot of us have been using Xoom for years .

Good Luck ,

TL.

Albert Punter
04-11-15, 21:37
Maybe I lost something in the discussion.
Why not withdrawing money from ATM, as you need it ?

Not too worried about getting mugged, but why carry a wad of money out of EZE when once in a while you might ETF yourself dough online through Western Union? I'm thinkin' you send US Dollars from your credit/debit card or bank online through WU to yourself in BA. Or have the Argies stopped WU from paying a receiver in US dollars? According to WU this morning, if asked, WU in Argentina will pay in US Dollars. Anyone out there know if that's true?

Tres3
04-12-15, 00:07
Maybe I lost something in the discussion.
Why not withdrawing money from ATM, as you need it ?Last I heard, an ATM in Argentina gave pesos only, and at the official rate (minus the fees). It is an over simplification, but dollars are generally not available in Argentina. To receive dollars, one has to go to Uruguay. If the poster (BD) does not want to listen to folks with years of experience, he should not ask. People on this board like to help, but you cannot help someone who will not help himself.

Tres3.

HotRod11
04-12-15, 03:21
That is the one thing I dislike about this site. What ever you do don't ask for advise. If you do one of these grumpy old men will jump on it and do their best to make you look foolish. Would it kill you to say- buy your pesos on the black market and get oh lets say forty percent more in the exchange for dollars. Thats why I won't post anything, If I do the first thing that happens is someone corrects my grammar then my spelling then someone tells me how stupid I am to ask that question. I have been on this site for many years and It has been very useful but I try not to ask questions.

HotRod11
04-12-15, 03:32
I have read this post daily and I mean every day for the past oh seven to eight years. I just can't remember posts from years ago. If I were to ask about something that was mentioned in the past -- holy shit my response from the members is -- read the fucking posts. Ok I do read it but I can't always remember past posts. Come on guys this type of attitude is not necessary....

Gandolf50
04-12-15, 08:26
I have read this post daily and I mean every day for the past oh seven to eight years. I just can't remember posts from years ago. If I were to ask about something that was mentioned in the past -- holy shit my response from the members is -- read the fucking posts. Ok I do read it but I can't always remember past posts. Come on guys this type of attitude is not necessary....Maybe the powers that be need to post a "cheat sheet" or a advice column for newbies. The Argentine economy is unlike most countrys in the world. Most Argentinos avoid using banks if at all possible. There are gov't controls on most money transactions. (which relate to more fees and less money for you) The bottom line is if you bring cash you can get 12 plus pesos for your dollars (this week) and if you use WU after fees etc. May be you will get 8. ATM's will get you close to the official rate, which is around 8.80 now. Now this question pops up every other week. So the people who ask have not read anything, they are just being lazy. They will fit in nicely as most Argies are lazy. We need the 10 laws of Argentina or something.

1) Cash is king! No western Union or ATM's.

2) Always make your deal before you take off your pants, not after.

3) Never, never pay up front! (for ANYTHING).

4) Dont expect a Argentine to be on time or to even show up at the time promised.

5) Dont expect to see the same girl at your door as you saw on the internet site.

6)......................

Ill let others continue. The idea is to READ the posts. Use services and restaurants , etc. Recommended by other posters, or at least get into contact with T.L. If you learn something you think is new while here... Post it! GOOD or BAD! Good luck! Have fun! Be safe!!!

Bobby Doerr
04-12-15, 10:42
Thanks Gondolf50, Hot Rod11, Tre3 and TJ for the information (and get a freekin' life Bad Man).

Indeed I have read the most current posts 'bout the blue rate, peso paying atm's, argie fricken banks, (don't you like how they are screwing Citibank) and paying for anything up front. Honest fellers, I didn't just fall off a hay wagon. If you can find me a post about WU paying US Dollars,I missed it Anyhow it costs the sender US$86 per thousand to send by WU. That's like losing 3 hours with a 5 and 15 minutes with a 10. I don't know whether there's any charges at the receiving end of WU and don't really give a shit because it's too much of a discount. Soo, I guess I'll mule the dough in.

Gandolf50
04-12-15, 11:28
Thanks Gondolf50, Hot Rod11, Tre3 and TJ for the information (and get a freekin' life Bad Man).

Indeed I have read the most current posts 'bout the blue rate, peso paying atm's, argie fricken banks, (don't you like how they are screwing Citibank) and paying for anything up front. Honest fellers, I didn't just fall off a hay wagon. If you can find me a post about WU paying US Dollars,I missed it Anyhow it costs the sender US$86 per thousand to send by WU. That's like losing 3 hours with a 5 and 15 minutes with a 10. I don't know whether there's any charges at the receiving end of WU and don't really give a shit because it's too much of a discount. Soo, I guess I'll mule the dough in.Right now, NO One is paying out in US dollars. No one on the grid anyway. There are ways.... But not worth it unless you live here and need to do it on a regular basis. If your coming in as a "tourist" just bring it with you. In a emergency use your ATM or contact a full timer here for other options.

Rev BS
04-13-15, 03:54
[Deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

Gandolf50
04-13-15, 07:22
A bunch of grumpy old men, acting like fraternity boys. Nothing like seeing a person stumble, or get taken to make their day.Actually, the point is to try to help prevent people from wasting their money. Or at least to help people to get the most out of their money.

Daddy Rulz
04-15-15, 14:08
Two days in a row, lets see if it holds.

Finally, see if it holds, I'm changing some today.

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Daddy Rulz
04-16-15, 10:07
Do you know why?Seriously, I have some ideas why the peso is the only Latin American currency that the dollar has not improved against in the last 6 months but as to why there was a big jump yesterday I have no idea.

I would enjoy hearing el Alamo Palermo's thoughts on the matter, he is way fucking smarter than me when it comes to this issue.

Thomaso276
04-16-15, 19:54
Sometimes I have to remind myself that all numbers generated in Arg are lies. Wonderful article in La Nacion how the gov't stole INDEC and how their economic data is all BS.

I hope that this latest rise is a result of the money folks having enuff of the pressure from the current administration and they have decided to stop the losses they have incurred over the last several months. I honestly believe the current rate is more of a result of threats and favors than true economic formulas. The dollar is stronger all over the world but here it falls against the almighty peso. How is that possible even if the Central Bank is manipulating with their purchases on a daily basis.

BadMan
04-16-15, 20:32
Lol.

Actually the dollar just dropped against other currencies in the past few days.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that all numbers generated in Arg are lies. Wonderful article in La Nacion how the gov't stole INDEC and how their economic data is all BS.

I hope that this latest rise is a result of the money folks having enuff of the pressure from the current administration and they have decided to stop the losses they have incurred over the last several months. I honestly believe the current rate is more of a result of threats and favors than true economic formulas. The dollar is stronger all over the world but here it falls against the almighty peso. How is that possible even if the Central Bank is manipulating with their purchases on a daily basis.

ElAlamoPalermo
04-17-15, 00:35
As I commented a few weeks ago, the "blue" rate has fallen as a result of the following factors:

- The "dolar ahorro"; anyone working in white earning 9400 pesos per month or more can buy USD at the official rate +20% with up to 20% of their salary; they then immediately take these dollars and sell them to a cueva for an instant profit. This provides significant liquidity to the blue market; as has been reported in all the papers, each month of 2015 has set a new record for "dolar ahorro" purchases; more "dolar ahorro" purchases = more supply in blue market = lower blue price. That being said, there has to be a significant profit involved in this exercise in order to make it worth parting with the USD, so the peso has probably found its bottom in the 12.5- 12.90 level.

-The economy is in full blown recession; there are simply less surplus pesos floating around demanding to be dollarized.

-The ANSES (national social security administration) has been selling dollar denominated bonds (those stolen a few years ago from the AFJP private pension system that was nationalized) in order to keep the stock/bond market swap price suppressed. The stock/bond swap market is the better alternative to the blue market for market participants with declared "white" money.

- Market anticipation of a regime change at the end of the year; as the end of the K mis-administration nears and the market anticipates a more pragmatic administration who will be forced to implement corrective measures to cure the economic distortions speculative interest in being in Argentine assets increases. This weeks movement back up to 12,80 (as of wednesday) is partly a reaction to the fact that a pro-Kirchner candidate won the primary election for governor in Salta held last Sunday. The more likely it looks like the Kirchners will stay in control, the more investors and Argentines will sour on the peso.

Member #3320
04-17-15, 15:12
Total cacophony.

Hilarious!

ElAlamoPalermo
04-17-15, 18:46
Nope....interesting opinion though.Why bother commenting when you clearly know almost nothing about how/why things happen in Argentina and obviously are not well read on current events here.

BadMan
04-17-15, 19:39
EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely argumentative. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

BadMan
04-18-15, 08:16
[Deleted by Admin]

BadMan
04-18-15, 08:18
[Message to Admin deleted]

EDITOR's NOTE: This report was edited to remove a message directed to the Forum Admin.

The open Forum is not the appropriate venue to contact the Forum Administration regarding individual questions, complaints or comments about the administration of the Forum. Instead, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page to send me an email voicing your complaints about the administration of the Forum, and I will respond as quickly as possible. Thanks!

BadMan
04-18-15, 09:59
[Deleted by Admin]

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was redacted or deleted to remove sections of the report that were largely antagonistic. Please read the Forum FAQ and the Forum's Posting Guidelines for more information. Thank You!

BadMan
04-18-15, 18:02
[Deleted by Admin]

BadMan
04-20-15, 13:49
[Deleted by Admin]

HotRod11
04-21-15, 04:32
Upper mgt, thanks for the redactions. I for one am bored with the nasty posts.

Gandolf50
04-24-15, 20:31
I received 12.50 in Moreno today.

MisterTea
04-29-15, 13:14
I hope this is the right forum for this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/magazine/how-bitcoin-is-disrupting-argentinas-economy.html

JamesBond69
04-29-15, 22:33
I hope this is the right forum for this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/magazine/how-bitcoin-is-disrupting-argentinas-economy.htmlThanks for the link. This is definitely the right forum.

I'm not surprised that bitcoin has taken hold in Argentina. With it's stringent currency.

Exchange policy it's the perfect place for a virtual currency.

Gandolf50
05-11-15, 20:00
I forgot to post, but last Friday I only received 12.20 against the dollar. But while I was waiting for my money I heard a women in the next window buying for 12.80... Too bad I didnt see her in the street!

Fillychaser
05-12-15, 18:03
I went to one of the kiosks on Florida today. They gave me 12 to 1, and when I asked for more the lady indicated that big bills got 12.20. Is this special BS for me, or is this generic BS.

Thomaso276
05-12-15, 19:11
Penalty for small bills is normal .

Maxuk
05-12-15, 19:38
Penalty for small bills is normal .Does anyone know what you get for Euros or UK pounds?

Maxuk
05-16-15, 15:00
Hi Folks.

I am awash with dollars and euros. Can anyone recommend an exchange bureau where I'll get the much advertised 12 peso to the dollar.

Thanks.

M.

Hotman 666
05-16-15, 19:13
Hi Folks.

I am awash with dollars and euros. Can anyone recommend an exchange bureau where I'll get the much advertised 12 peso to the dollar.

Thanks.

M.If you are downtown (ANYWHERE near Florida) you can not walk more than five paces without heaing "Cambio, Cambio.".

I changed US $ today at 12.2.

If you do not like the rate quoted then walk another five steps!!

I have NEVER had any problems changing cash this way.

Regards,

Hotman.

By the way I do NOT speak more than ten words of Spanish.

Tres3
05-17-15, 09:28
Be careful not to get counterfeit bills when you change money on Florida. They are not as prevalent as a few years ago because of the anti-counterfeit measures adopted in the newer bills, but be careful nevertheless.

Tres3.

Maxuk
05-17-15, 12:10
Be careful not to get counterfeit bills when you change money on Florida. They are not as prevalent as a few years ago because of the anti-counterfeit measures adopted in the newer bills, but be careful nevertheless.

Tres3.Hi Tres.

Thanks for the advice... What do I look out for?

M.

AllIWantIsLove
05-17-15, 14:15
Hi Tres.

Thanks for the advice... What do I look out for?

M.Here's one reference : http://santelmoloft.com/2011/07/22/fake-money-in-argentina/.

I think that I've seen other, similar articles but can't find them at the moment.

Bob.

MataHari
05-19-15, 17:36
Hello guys...

I changed 700 dollars in Tarija Bolivia to travel to Buenos Aires last week but it seems that i over rated my travel expenses and I have too much local cash left before leaving the country. If anybody on the forum is interested, i ll buy their dollars at 13 pesos for one dollar, i currently have around 5000 pesos left...the offer lasts till next Saturday. Euros will be also welcome at 14.3 to one.

Thomaso276
05-19-15, 18:28
Please check pm's.