PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Carlospalermo
05-23-15, 18:08
The numbers are crazy this year. I ended up buying at the wrong time and wrong price thinking in would go up if i waited more. Turns out the opposite happened.

Maxuk
05-23-15, 20:12
Anyone want to give me some pesos in exchange for some dollars ... Reasonable offers considered.

Max.

El Perro
05-27-15, 13:26
I've $600US in twenties to get rid of. Any idea as to what rate I should expect ? Thanks.

Daddy Rulz
05-27-15, 13:40
I've $600US in twenties to get rid of. Any idea as to what rate I should expect ? Thanks.But the Korean off of lavalle told me generally speaking .50 less from her.

TejanoLibre
05-27-15, 20:03
But the Korean off of lavalle told me generally speaking .50 less from her.The less value is bullshit.

Call me DB !

Esmeralda and Cordoba.

High Rise.

Safe .

American .

TL.

Tres3
06-12-15, 18:32
The ferry, with taxes and fees cost $354 pesos, plus the taxi to and from the ferry terminal.

Tres3.Earlier this week I went to Colonia for the first time in over two years. I went with a friend and did not obtain ATM dollars like the last time, but the ATM machines still give dollars or Uruguayan pesos. I bought the ticket at the Seacat office on Cordoba, and paid with cash that I had obtained at the blue rate. The exchange rate had kept up with the ticket increases, so I paid about the same in dollar (about USD $50 R/T) terms as I paid over two years ago.

The ticket is issued by Seacat, but the ferry is operated by Buquebus. So little has changed in two years that I did not notice any changes. With the tip, I paid 70 pesos for a taxi from an area near the Biblioteca Nacional.

The nice thing is that the Argentinians and Uruguayans have gotten together, and you only have to go through Customs and Immigration once.

Tres3.

Tres3
06-13-15, 11:47
I received 12.45 pesos per USD for 5 Benjamins.

Tres3.

Bobby Doerr
06-14-15, 10:52
Earlier this week I went to Colonia for the first time in over two years. I went with a friend and did not obtain ATM dollars like the last time, but the ATM machines still give dollars or Uruguayan pesos. I bought the ticket at the Seacat office on Cordoba, and paid with cash that I had obtained at the blue rate. The exchange rate had kept up with the ticket increases, so I paid about the same in dollar (about USD $50 R/T) terms as I paid over two years ago.

The ticket is issued by Seacat, but the ferry is operated by Buquebus. So little has changed in two years that I did not notice any changes. With the tip, I paid 70 pesos for a taxi from an area near the Biblioteca Nacional.

The nice thing is that the Argentinians and Uruguayans have gotten together, and you only have to go through Customs and Immigration once.

Tres3.Do you know if caja automaticas (ATMs) in Colonia Uruguay have a max amount of US dollars they let you withdraw daily? I know my bank limits withdrawal to $500 a day. But is there a daily limit on withdrawals set by the ATM machines themselves? How much?

Tres3
06-14-15, 12:30
Do you know if caja automaticas (ATMs) in Colonia Uruguay have a max amount of US dollars they let you withdraw daily? I know my bank limits withdrawal to $500 a day. But is there a daily limit on withdrawals set by the ATM machines themselves? How much?When I made a withdrawal 2 years ago, my bank had a maximum of $1000.00 USD per day. The ATM machines had a maximum of $300.00 USD per TRANSACTION, and a $6.00 charge per transaction. I made 3 withdrawals of $300.00 each. I could have made a fourth withdrawal of $100.00 but chose not to.

If the banks are like the most of the rest of Uruguay, little has changed in 2 years, and you are still limited to $300.00 per ATM transaction. I do not know if the ATM machines have a maximum USD withdrawal limit, but since your bank limits you to $500.00 USD, you should be OK..
I hope this helps.

Tres3.

Creideiki
06-14-15, 14:07
When I made a withdrawal 2 years ago, my bank had a maximum of $1000.00 USD per day. The ATM machines had a maximum of $300.00 USD per TRANSACTION, and a $6.00 charge per transaction. I made 3 withdrawals of $300.00 each. I could have made a fourth withdrawal of $100.00 but chose not to.

If the banks are like the most of the rest of Uruguay, little has changed in 2 years, and you are still limited to $300.00 per ATM transaction. I do not know if the ATM machines .Hee hee. Seriously, though, good information. I'll be visiting Uruguay during my upcoming trip in October, so will take advantage of the ATM opportunities.

Wild Walleye
06-17-15, 11:58
When I made a withdrawal 2 years ago, my bank had a maximum of $1000.00 USD per day. The ATM machines had a maximum of $300.00 USD per TRANSACTION, and a $6.00 charge per transaction. I made 3 withdrawals of $300.00 each. I could have made a fourth withdrawal of $100.00 but chose not to.

If the banks are like the most of the rest of Uruguay, little has changed in 2 years, and you are still limited to $300.00 per ATM transaction. I do not know if the ATM machines have a maximum USD withdrawal limit, but since your bank limits you to $500.00 USD, you should be OK..
I hope this helps.

Tres3.Is it possible to go to the teller and get cash for the full amount in one transaction, rather than doing the three or four transactions?

Tres3
06-17-15, 12:36
Is it possible to go to the teller and get cash for the full amount in one transaction, rather than doing the three or four transactions?I do not know about the Uruguay banks, but if they are similar to the USA you probably have to have an account to cash a check. I do not know if the Uruguay banks give credit card advances in dollars. My ATM card rebates the ATM fees in full, so I just use the ATM machine.

Tres3.

Jackson
06-18-15, 18:01
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

PLEASE NOTE: These are the published rates to SELL your dollars in exchange for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = 12.75

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 12.92

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 13.08

DolarBlue.net (http://www.dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Compra" = 13.02

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dolar BLUE o Dolar Paralelo" = 13.02

----------------------------------------------------------

A) Average Published Rate = 12.96

B) Rate Actually Received = 12.90

C) Discount as percent of the Average Rate = -0.47%

D) Discount as a multiplier of the Average Rate = x .9953

You're welcome.

Jackson

Tres3
06-22-15, 17:18
This afternoon I received 12.70 for three Benjamins.

Tres3.

Daddy Rulz
06-23-15, 20:24
This afternoon I received 12.70 for three Benjamins.

Tres3.As did I, Ambito shows a close of 13.2-13.3 today. Sadly last nights entertainment is COD. Hopefully this is the beginning of the long awaited adjustment.

Tres3
06-24-15, 10:05
As did I, Ambito shows a close of 13.2-13.3 today. Sadly last nights entertainment is COD. Hopefully this is the beginning of the long awaited adjustment.I do not pretend to be smart, but on occasion I am lucky. I usually change $500, but Monday I only changed $300.

Tres3.

BadMan
06-25-15, 21:40
This analysis would actually be more accurate if you not only take the average published online rate but also an average of the cueva rates. From what I've found cueva prices usually differ about 20-30 centavos so a more accurate analysis would factor this in as well.

When I left the exchange rate was 12.40 Now it's 13.40. Damn capital controls. Did I miss any elections btw?

Buymecola
07-05-15, 22:34
How does Argentina's illegal and opaque currency market really work?

*A long report*.

https://www.the-newshub.com/international/inside-argentinas-blue-dollar-market

Daddy Rulz
07-21-15, 13:54
Prolly around 14.5 today, still gaining.

Perm adjustment or winter vacation demand? Change a bunch or slowly ride it up? Opinions?

El Perro
07-21-15, 13:55
Prolly around 14.5 today, still gaining.

Perm adjustment or winter vacation demand? Change a bunch or slowly ride it up? Opinions?$14.76 right now.

Member #3320
07-21-15, 15:42
I think it would be wise to change at least 5000 usd at 15.0 and not repent whether it goes further up or crashes down.

Member #3320
07-21-15, 20:40
I just hope BA does not become Caracas.

1 usd = 6 Bs in white.

1 usd = 630 Bs in Black.

Gandolf50
07-22-15, 07:36
I just hope BA does not become Caracas.

1 usd = 6 Bs in white.

1 usd = 630 Bs in Black.While it might never get that bad here, its not for lack of trying.......

Gandolf50
07-22-15, 07:48
It looks like one might be able to get that 15 to 1 this week!!!

Gandolf50
08-19-15, 23:09
This past week in Bariloche they were changing at 14 to 1. Before I left I received 14.50 here in Moreno.

Fireheat
08-27-15, 15:56
This past Monday, I exchanged for 15.40 on Florida near to Corrientes. I have stopped using the runners and went straight to the place who exchanges, got about .60 better rate than when the runner helps. PM if you'd like location of business.

Albert Punter
08-29-15, 10:53
Does anyone know reliable places for exchanging dollars or euros at blue rate on saturdays ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fireheat
08-30-15, 01:31
Hey Albert, the place i mentioned, I've got to both on a Saturday and on a Monday. =).

Does anyone know reliable places for exchanging dollars or euros at blue rate on saturdays ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fireheat
08-31-15, 14:22
Hey Guys, I've gotten quite a few PMs for the address of the money exchange. As a rule of thumb, the rate I've gotten has been about 50-60 cents less than the rate given one this twitter account: https://twitter.com/dolarblue - Currently, it's at 15.45 today, so you'd be lucky to get 15, probably 14.80.

Santa
09-14-15, 21:31
What is the latest info on bitcoins. Is it worth my time? Can you exchange at blue rate? Thank you Santa.

Tres3
09-23-15, 12:50
CFK strikes again as the election nears. If you can, I would suggest holding on to your dollars.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-22/argentine-parallel-exchange-rate-rallies-on-regulator-resolution?cmpid=yhoo

Tres3.

DavieW
09-23-15, 13:03
CFK strikes again as the election nears. If you can, I would suggest holding on to your dollars.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-22/argentine-parallel-exchange-rate-rallies-on-regulator-resolution?cmpid=yhoo

Tres3.That's interesting.

Not true, but interesting.

Ambito and lanacion showing the blue UP today (15.9) and a quick email exchange with an old friend who works in FX confirms that the trend is still UP (today). ;-)

Daddy Rulz
09-25-15, 02:52
That's interesting.

Not true, but interesting.

Ambito and lanacion showing the blue UP today (15.9) and a quick email exchange with an old friend who works in FX confirms that the trend is still UP (today). ;-)This is a little closer to the truth. I swear I hope they let her stay in for life.

http://www.bubblear.com/mutual-funds-forced-into-pesos-values-drop/

Gringo Verde
09-25-15, 18:45
15.7 for four $100s this pm at the cuerva in the galaria on the 300 block of Florida. That's up from 15 and a few centavos for $300 last week.

Dickhead
09-25-15, 19:40
I believe my friend Daddy Rulz is saying he hopes KFC stays in for life because her policies are so stupid it will tank the peso, and thus be good for gringos. This is a possible example of schadenfreude. I am having the same selfish feeling, being in Europe, and hoping that the European central bank loosens monetary policy as a stimulus measure while the US Fed raises rates. That will lead to a stronger dollar vs. the euro and benefit me personally.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that although relative real interest rates are the primary determinant of foreign exchange rates, the second most important factor is the balance of trade. KFC's policies are equally stupid in that area, so the two may very well offset and inflation will eat up all of the benefit for gringos. My analysis is that the gringos who will benefit the most will be those who consume mostly domestic goods, because remember, the price of imports will skyrocket if the peso collapses.

Having said that, Argentina's fairly long-standing history of putting huge tariffs on imported goods has already been providing a huge incentive to consume domestically produced goods.

The problem with that, of course, is that a lot of Argie products are total crap. So what the gringos in Argentina can probably look forward to is paying even cheaper prices for the same fucking crap. That is not the worst thing in the world, but if the ECB loosens and the Fed tightens, gringos can go to Europe and pay cheaper prices for stuff that is actually of high quality. Last time I was in Europe in 2013, the euro was at about 1,35 and this trip it's been between 1,06 and 1,13 and I am eating like a prince and staying in some pretty nice apartments for very attractive dollar prices. Meanwhile, Argies are going to have a real hard time traveling to other countries. That breaks my fucking heart.

Gandolf50
09-26-15, 07:58
The truth is I lived better and cheaper here when the exchange rate was 4 to 1. While the higher rate of exchange helps offsett the inflation, the inflation is being fueled in part by the higher exchange rate. And on and on and on......

Sapblows
09-26-15, 13:56
https://twitter.com/dolarblue

Daddy Rulz
09-26-15, 20:22
I believe my friend Daddy Rulz is saying he hopes KFC stays in for life because her policies are so stupid it will tank the peso, and thus be good for gringos. This is a possible example of schadenfreude. I am having the same selfish feeling, being in Europe, and hoping that the European central bank loosens monetary policy as a stimulus measure while the US Fed raises rates. That will lead to a stronger dollar vs. the euro and benefit me personally.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that although relative real interest rates are the primary determinant of foreign exchange rates, the second most important factor is the balance of trade. KFC's policies are equally stupid in that area, so the two may very well offset and inflation will eat up all of the benefit for gringos. My analysis is that the gringos who will benefit the most will be those who consume mostly domestic goods, because remember, the price of imports will skyrocket if the peso collapses.

Having said that, Argentina's fairly long-standing history of putting huge tariffs on imported goods has already been providing a huge incentive to consume domestically produced goods.

The problem with that, of course, is that a lot of Argie products are total crap. So what the gringos in Argentina can probably look forward to is paying even cheaper prices for the same fucking crap. That is not the worst thing in the world, but if the ECB loosens and the Fed tightens, gringos can go to Europe and pay cheaper prices for stuff that is actually of high quality. Last time I was in Europe in 2013, the euro was at about 1,35 and this trip it's been between 1,06 and 1,13 and I am eating like a prince and staying in some pretty nice apartments for very attractive dollar prices. Meanwhile, Argies are going to have a real hard time traveling to other countries. That breaks my fucking heart.Pretty much the only imported goods I consume come from Paraguay and pricing on that particular commodity seems to be staying on par or below the domestically produced equivalent.

Jackson
10-20-15, 19:05
Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

PLEASE NOTE: These are the published rates to SELL your dollars in exchange for pesos.

La Nacion (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369) "Dolar Blue Compra" = Unavailable

Ambito.com (http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/) "Informal Compra" = 15.88

Infobae.com (http://www.infobae.com) "Dolar Libre" = 16.03

DolarBlue.net (http://www.dolarblue.net/) "Deep Blue Compra" = Outdated

DolarAlDia.com (http://www.dolaraldia.com/) "Dolar BLUE o Dolar Paralelo" = 16.03

----------------------------------------------------------

A) Average Published Rate = 15.98

B) Rate Actually Received = 15.90

C) Discount as percent of the Average Rate = -99.49%

D) Discount as a multiplier of the Average Rate = X .9849

You're welcome.

Jackson

Dickhead
10-20-15, 20:40
C) Discount as percent of the Average Rate = -99.49%
JacksonWouldn't the discount be .50% and not -99.49%?

(15.98 - 15.90) / 15.98 = .08 / 15.98 = .005 = .50%

But thanks!

Big Boss Man
10-24-15, 13:48
Today the rate is 15.04. It is a better rate than they were using in the past. The green venta (sale) rate on dolarblue.net today is 15.10.

Also if your friend is heading to Paraguay for the holidays, I was told (I cannot substantiate this for fact) that they can receive the transfer in dollars from Xoom in that country.

Vampire
12-07-15, 16:33
Sorry in advance if this a dumb question. Is it possible to exchange money on Sundays on Calle Florida? I will be in BA briefly on a Sunday, then have to catch a bus to Patagonia on Sunday evening.

Thomaso276
12-07-15, 17:17
Yes, plenty on Florida.

TejanoLibre
12-07-15, 21:23
Yes, plenty on Florida.Some of you may know or surely have seen or noticed Victor on the corner of Florida and Marcelo T de Alvear.

He has been there for about 10 years and he is wheelchair bound.

Today I just happened to be walking past him and I was looking for a quick and decent exchange rate but it was a national holiday and I only had a few bucks to exchange.

He gave me $14.60 to 1. Good enough. I had just finished a walking tour of BA and we had walked about 8 miles.

I'm sure you could find a better rate but it was a tiny amount and when I talked to him and thought about his situation I could not think of a more deserving individual.

He gave me the pesos and I told him that I didn't even need to count it but he insisted.

He had overpaid me. Of course I gave him the difference and asked him for his Whatsapp info.

Victor the Cambio Guy.

+54911 3604 1677.

Florida and Marcelo T de Alvear .

7 days a week .

In a wheelchair for life.

Thanks ,

TL.

HotRod11
12-08-15, 11:18
Unless he has backtracked incoming president Mecri has stated that he will remove restrictions on foreign currency purchases. My thoughts have been that this will increase the pesos to the dollar at the official rate. So what happens to the blue rate. I'm wondering if the official rate shows a dramatic increase in pesos to dollars and the blue rate initially stays the same but their goal is to bring the two rates closer together and eventually have the two rates the same.

Daddy Rulz
12-08-15, 12:19
Unless he has backtracked incoming president Mecri has stated that he will remove restrictions on foreign currency purchases. My thoughts have been that this will increase the pesos to the dollar at the official rate. So what happens to the blue rate. I'm wondering if the official rate shows a dramatic increase in pesos to dollars and the blue rate initially stays the same but their goal is to bring the two rates closer together and eventually have the two rates the same.There's a lot of discussion about this on that thread. I honestly don't think anybody knows at this point.

Gandolf50
12-08-15, 20:24
Unless he has backtracked incoming president Mecri has stated that he will remove restrictions on foreign currency purchases. My thoughts have been that this will increase the pesos to the dollar at the official rate. So what happens to the blue rate. I'm wondering if the official rate shows a dramatic increase in pesos to dollars and the blue rate initially stays the same but their goal is to bring the two rates closer together and eventually have the two rates the same.I believe his plan is putting it very simply is to allow the official rate to match the blue rate (official goes up a lot and the blue down a little??) making ONE exchange rate thus helping to reduce the dollar demand and hopefully reduce inflation to a single digit phenomenon. And maybe Moyano will reduce the teamsters salary's while all this is happening?? :-).

BayBoy
12-17-15, 17:00
New Argentina President Macri has allowed the Peso to float on the open market. Its now at 13 to 1 US dollar. Yesterday it was 9.7 to 1. We will see how far it goes.

Thomaso276
12-20-15, 12:41
Called my Citi CC today. With no foreign exchg fee, any charges for today will have a rate of 0.0761 pesos per USD. Therefore:

1.00 USD = 13.1270 ARS.

US Dollar ↔ Argentine Peso.

1 USD = 13.1270 ARS 1 ARS = 0.0761789 USD.

Mid-market rates: 2015-12-20 14:31 UTC.

Too early to start using card. Disco supermarket offered 13 to 1 for cash purchase.

They are all playing it safe.

Maybe members can post other examples - restaurants, hotels, etc..

Daddy Rulz
12-20-15, 13:26
Called my Citi CC today. With no foreign exchg fee, any charges for today will have a rate of 0.0761 pesos per USD. Therefore:

1.00 USD = 13.1270 ARS.

US Dollar ↔ Argentine Peso.

1 USD = 13.1270 ARS 1 ARS = 0.0761789 USD.

Mid-market rates: 2015-12-20 14:31 UTC.

Too early to start using card. Disco supermarket offered 13 to 1 for cash purchase.

They are all playing it safe.

Maybe members can post other examples - restaurants, hotels, etc..Yesterday, a store (clothing, electronics or shoes knowing me) had a rate of 13.7-1 posted at the register. It might have been a restaurant. Sorry I know this isn't that useful but it does help with what is trending because I am certain of the number.

Daddy Rulz
12-21-15, 12:48
Banco de la Nacion is showing the dollar at 12.8 today. I called my guy and he quoted 13.7 on a 1000.

BadMan
12-27-15, 18:20
No more dollar blue.

Daddy Rulz
12-27-15, 19:07
No more dollar blue.The spread is only 10% now but it's still there and probably always will be.

Gandolf50
12-27-15, 20:58
The spread is only 10% now but it's still there and probably always will be.It seems the banks are only giving out 500U$D at a shot unless you meet all sorts of rules. And even then they are running out of dollars and say come back another day. Ive been getting 14 to 1 lately and that might improve in January as people leave for vacations. Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.

Spassmusssein
12-27-15, 21:16
Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.-as Brazil devaluated 35 - 45 %, this year the demand is 4 Real, nomore 4 usd.

Maybe they expropiate the "K-fortune"...this makes BCRA rich.

Maybe the blue-party is over.

Till Chiquiloft will come back. (maybe in Caracas, la Paz o La Habana).

I hope, we will get back to economy, not low-end speculation en "cuevas".

Daddy Rulz
12-27-15, 21:32
It seems the banks are only giving out 500U$D at a shot unless you meet all sorts of rules. And even then they are running out of dollars and say come back another day. Ive been getting 14 to 1 lately and that might improve in January as people leave for vacations. Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.I think as long as they continue the fiction of the "official" exchange rate there will always be a blue rate with a decent spread. 13-1 isn't the number.

Even if they really float the peso there will still be a small one because there is always people trying to stay off book. Those people will always be paying a premium to change black pesos to dollars and as long as they are paying the premium, I will get a little more at the cueva for my dollars.

BadMan
12-28-15, 15:45
That sounds like wishful thinking. I walked down Florida a week ago and was offered 60 centavos above bank rate. The difference is becoming negligible not the reverse. Macri' s election victory did away with any meaningful dollar blue.

The spread is only 10% now but it's still there and probably always will be.

TejanoLibre
12-29-15, 20:31
No more dollar blue.$13.90 today from Victor.

I guess that's better than a sharp stick in the ass but it may depend on the stick.

TL.

He said something about the official being $12.70 but I have not bothered to even check.

No idea what his source is.

But like anything in life you can work it like a car deal or a pussy transaction.

Negotiate!

Not worth my time but it may be worth yours .

Nikki
01-04-16, 20:39
Hi guys,

I have some French friends in town and need to take them to a cueva to exchange some money in Recoleta ( Pueyrredon and Las Heras ) my guy is on vacation, any pointers will be much appreciated! Please PM me :).

TejanoLibre
01-04-16, 21:41
Hi guys,

I have some French friends in town and need to take them to a cueva to exchange some money in Recoleta ( Pueyrredon and Las Heras ) my guy is on vacation, any pointers will be much appreciated! Please PM me :).Alo' Cubano.

Corner of Guido and Vicente Lopez.

6ft. 4in. Very Black Cuban.

Well Dressed. You can't miss him.

Has his office right next to Freddo the ice cream place.

Whatsapp - +54911 3868 2766.

14 to 1 yesterday.

TL.

He is there everyday.

Nikki
01-04-16, 22:06
Alo' Cubano.

Corner of Guido and Vicente Lopez.

6ft. 4in. Very Black Cuban.

Well Dressed. You can't miss him.

Has his office right next to Freddo the ice cream place.

Whatsapp - +54911 3868 2766.

14 to 1 yesterday.

TL.

He is there everyday.Ahhh yes I have seen them many times, but thought he was paying a crappy rate for some reason never asked him, Thx for the heads up TL :).

BadMan
01-05-16, 18:54
Thank you tejanolibre. But. The official exchange rate is now 13.6 and dollar blue is like 13.9-14. Unless I'm exchanging thousands of dollars at a time, it's too much of a hassle and definitely not worth my time For 300 pesos for every thousand dollars I exchange. I spend half of that on the taxi to get to microcentro.

Bye bye CFK. Bye bye dollar blue. Hello Macri. Hello " inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet.".

$13.90 today from Victor.

I guess that's better than a sharp stick in the ass but it may depend on the stick.

TL.

He said something about the official being $12.70 but I have not bothered to even check.

No idea what his source is.

But like anything in life you can work it like a car deal or a pussy transaction.

Negotiate!

Not worth my time but it may be worth yours .

AllIWantIsLove
01-06-16, 03:21
... Bye bye CFK. Bye bye dollar blue. Hello Macri. Hello " inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet.".I know next to nothing about economics, but my simplistic mind figures that there can't be inflation unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly. So those of us lucky enough to be spending dollars won't be impacted by any inflation.

But what do you guys who do understand economics think?

Bob.

BadMan
01-06-16, 11:12
I sure hope for your sake you're right.

Now. Have you looked at your precious " spread " lately?

I know next to nothing about economics, but my simplistic mind figures that there can't be inflation unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly. So those of us lucky enough to be spending dollars won't be impacted by any inflation.

Bob.

Daddy Rulz
01-06-16, 11:27
I sure hope for your sake you're right.

Now. Have you looked at your precious " spread " lately?Still looking pretty damn good to me.

Jackson
01-06-16, 14:28
I know next to nothing about economics, but my simplistic mind figures that there can't be inflation unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly. So those of us lucky enough to be spending dollars won't be impacted by any inflation.

Bob.Here we go again.

As many people tend to do, you're paraphrasing the peso-dollar relationship incorrectly.

You wrote "...unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly."

The dollar does not get "stronger" or "weaker" against the peso. It is the peso that fluctuates (usually down) in value in comparison against the relatively stable dollar.

Your summary would have been more correctly stated as "...unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the peso will weaken accordingly."

If two men are standing side by side, and one of them doubles over with a stomach ache, you don't describe the situation by saying that the other man got stronger.

Thanks,

Jax

MisterTea
01-06-16, 17:06

There could also be inflation if - for whatever reason - the productive capacity of the economy shrinks, giving a situation with the same amount of money chasing fewer goods.

DavieW
01-06-16, 20:20
The dollar does not get "stronger" or "weaker" against the peso. It is the peso that fluctuates...Not when you're looking at the relationship from the point of view where the peso is the centre of your world, ie. You do all your business in pesos! Then, to you, it's the dollar that's going up and down. You're only aware that it's the dollar that's 'relatively stable' if you also compare it to other, third-party currencies.

And your analogy with the guy with a stomach ache doesn't really stand up because there's not any connection between the two men and you wouldn't say the well guy 'got' stronger, but you would say he 'is' stronger.

BadMan
01-06-16, 20:25
Still looking pretty damn good to me.There's a 50 centavo difference, on good days. Enjoy those remaining cents. While they last.

BadMan
01-06-16, 21:34
Sounds like you have a better grasp of the basics.

He doesn't know what he's saying. The dollar has been surging against all currencies over the past year. Try and tell a Bull the Dollar hasn't been " strengthening " against all EM and CE currencies. A basic marker for dollar strength is the dollar index. And yes, it hit all time highs last year. Argentina doesn't exist in a vacuum. Everything is interconnected. Unfortunately most people prefer talking nonsense instead of admitting it's really too complicated for them to understand.

In order to properly analyze a currency pair you would have to first properly analyze their respective economies separately and then in relation to each other etc. Both strengthen and weaken with relation to each other and other currencies for different reasons and at different times.

The Dollar is stable? Try telling that to the IMF. 7 years of ZIRP and QE somehow equates stability? The Dow whipwsawwed 1000 points yesterday. There is a reason China's Yuan just got added to the SDR basket for 2016. And also why the IMF is going to be altering the composition of the SDR reserves. Governments and central banks all over the world have had it with the FOMC' s volatile monetary policy.

not when you're looking at the relashionship from the point of vview where the peso is the centre of your world, ie. You do all r business in pesos! Then, to you, it's the dollar that's going up and down. You're only aware that it's the dollar that's 'relatively stable' if you also compare it to other, third-party currencies.

And your analogy with the guy with a stomach ache doesn't really stand up because there's not any connection between the two men and you wouldn't say the well guy 'got' stronger, but you would say he 'is' stronger.

Jackson
01-07-16, 06:38
Not when you're looking at the relationship from the point of view where the peso is the centre of your world, ie. You do all your business in pesos! Then, to you, it's the dollar that's going up and down. You're only aware that it's the dollar that's 'relatively stable' if you also compare it to other, third-party currencies.

And your analogy with the guy with a stomach ache doesn't really stand up because there's not any connection between the two men and you wouldn't say the well guy 'got' stronger, but you would say he 'is' stronger.I think you got my point.

Jax.

Daddy Rulz
01-07-16, 09:26
There's a 50 centavo difference, on good days. Enjoy those remaining cents. While they last.But if all you are seeing is a 50 centavo difference they must love you.

It's a rare day that I'm not seeing 10%.

If I changed the whole concept and started using ATM's once you figured the fees and the monkeying around that the central bank does it would be more like 15-20%.

There will be a blue rate (perhaps under a different name) until the day you can go to Miami or Paris with Pesos in your pocket and change them on arrival into Euro's or Dollars.

Bobby Doerr
01-07-16, 10:34
But if all you are seeing is a 50 centavo difference they must love you.

If I changed the whole concept and started using ATM's once you figured the fees and the monkeying around that the central bank does it would be more like 15-20%.

There will be a blue rate (perhaps under a different name) until the day you can go to Miami or Paris with Pesos in your pocket and change them on arrival into Euro's or Dollars.

When you hit an economy with 5000 bullets, it's hard to tell which ones did it in. To be able to exchange your pesos into dollars or euros when you fly into Miami or Paris, Macri is going to have to pull out the shells that killed the Argentine economy. Good luck.

BadMan
01-07-16, 18:18
http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

The official is 13.78 and the blue is around what?

14-:14.1 says dolar ambito.

" There will be a blue rate "? What, you're making proclamations now without providing any sound reasoning why. Do you even know what mechanics the BCRA is implementing? What their last statement said? No. Of course not. You're just praying to God you're right. Good luck with your incredible shrinking blue rate.

But if all you are seeing is a 50 centavo difference they must love you.

TejanoLibre
01-08-16, 05:15
Thank you tejanolibre. But. The official exchange rate is now 13.6 and dollar blue is like 13.9-14. Unless I'm exchanging thousands of dollars at a time, it's too much of a hassle and definitely not worth my time For 300 pesos for every thousand dollars I exchange. I spend half of that on the taxi to get to microcentro.

Bye bye CFK. Bye bye dollar blue. Hello Macri. Hello " inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet.".The rates change everyday and the more you exchange the better the rate.

Common knowledge.

Now for something completely different:

I was forced to use an ATM ( the bad kind of ATM ) and this is what I received without a kiss.

I withdrew $700.00 Pesos coming from Chase USA.

My account reads :

NON-CHASE ATM WITHDRAW 720607 12/31AV. BELGR AR Peso 700.00 X 0.07722493 (EXCHG RTE) + 1.81 (EXCHG RTE ADJ).

NON-CHASE ATM FEE-WITH $5.00.

$62.03 Dollars debited.

Plus $79.80 Pesos to use the ATM.

Not even close to official or blue . Correct me please!

Xoom -.

Some of us down here use their services at least once a month for ourselves or to give away the money to some losers girlfriend.

Xoom Today -.

13.2783 to 1 plus escalating fees and a maximum allowed.

Best Bet :

My Private Banker downtown .

Up to $30,000.00 Dollars or Euros or Pesos a day .

Or a combination there of.

Fees and minimums apply.

Thanks ,

TL.

BadMan
01-08-16, 09:20
Sounds like Chase gave it to you with no vaseline. Xoom has the worst exchange rate. There are much better options.

The rates change everyday and the more you exchange the better the rate.

Common knowledge.

Now for something completely different:

I was forced to use an ATM ( the bad kind of ATM ) and this is what I received without a kiss.

I withdrew $700.00 Pesos coming from Chase USA.

My account reads :

NON-CHASE ATM WITHDRAW 720607 12/31AV. BELGR AR Peso 700.00 X 0.07722493 (EXCHG RTE) + 1.81 (EXCHG RTE ADJ).

NON-CHASE ATM FEE-WITH $5.00.

$62.03 Dollars debited.

Plus $79.80 Pesos to use the ATM.

Not even close to official or blue . Correct me please!

Xoom -.

Some of us down here use their services at least once a month for ourselves or to give away the money to some losers girlfriend.

Xoom Today -.

13.2783 to 1 plus escalating fees and a maximum allowed.

Best Bet :

My Private Banker downtown .

Up to $30,000.00 Dollars or Euros or Pesos a day .

Or a combination there of.

Fees and minimums apply.

Thanks ,

TL.

Riina
01-08-16, 10:24
Has anybody tried to withdraw from their US Citi account using a Citi atm in BA? I would never use Chase internationally.

Daddy Rulz
01-08-16, 11:07
Don't feed the trolls, don't feed the trolls, never feed the fucking trolls.

Thanks Rocky.

Daddy Rulz
01-08-16, 12:20
Just remember how sad and pathetic their lives must be and be happy it's not yours.

BadMan
01-08-16, 14:13
I wonder about your life. Has it been sad and pathetic? Maybe I can ask some forum regulars to fill me in on your oh so amazing life. If it's so amazing why are you on this little forum 24/7. That alone is sad and pathetic. Good luck with your blue rate bub. I hope you squeeze out every last centavo while you can.

Just remember how sad and pathetic their lives must be and be happy it's not yours.

Daddy Rulz
01-08-16, 15:26
I'm starting to hear a voice from about two years ago. Accompanied by a strange buzzing sound.

BadMan
01-08-16, 19:59
So aside from the bickering. Does anyone know what the rates are?

De Chicago Soy
01-08-16, 20:27
So – the blue and the official peso rates are almost in parity around 13.9 to the US dollar. Are the arbolitos still selling pesos that are less than the service fees and exchange rate adjustments charged by banks when using a US $ based ATM card?

BadMan
01-08-16, 20:33
I just looked online.

Official 13.75.

Blue 14. 05.

That's it?

De Chicago Soy
01-08-16, 20:42
I just looked online.

Official 13.75.

Blue 14. 05.

That's it?Thanks. So, it hardly seems worth the effort and risk to deal with the arbolitos for a 2% spread, however, do ATMs really disburse at the 13.75 rate and are there any substantial service fees or exchange rate adjustments when using an ATM? Thanks again.

Daddy Rulz
01-08-16, 23:08
Thanks. So, it hardly seems worth the effort and risk to deal with the arbolitos for a 2% spread, however, do ATMs really disburse at the 13.75 rate and are there any substantial service fees or exchange rate adjustments when using an ATM? Thanks again.Everybody I have talked to has said that when they use their ATM they are getting less than the published official rate plus are having to pay fees. Some were as low as 2 pesos per dollar lower but most in the high 12's to low 13's plus fees. They have also reported only being able to withdraw a certain amount (usually around 2,000 pesos) per transaction. Given that the highest denomination bill in the country is worth around 8 bucks there have also been a fair amount of problems with machines being empty, especially on weekends.

If you're here for a week or two I'd say use the ATM, accept the lower rate for the security of not having to travel with as much cash just make sure to top off a lot. If you live here then you have to decide if bringing the money in is worth the higher rate you would get from a cueva once you add in the bank fees if you have them.

BadMan
01-09-16, 04:23
If you have dollars on hand and have an exchange house with good rates near by, I would take advantage of those 30 centavos while you can. They won't last. But if you have to use an ATM, there really isn't much of a difference. And that difference keeps getting smaller every day. Not the opposite. Your only real benefit now is saving on bank ATM and FX fees. Just like in any other country. Cash is still king, but the Dollar just isn't what it used to be with no real blue rate.

Macri has staked his entire presidency on reining in inflation and Sturzenegger is already looking past the unification and adopting a free float foreign exchange policy and an inflation targeting monetary policy. Interesting to say the least.

After reading Sturzenegger' proposed changes to Argentinas fx and monetary policy. I know a " blue" rate would never work. It's a non starter. They're mutually exclusive. Not to say a completely black market dollar won't exist. " Criminals " always need to " evade taxes ". We will see. Time will tell.

http://www.bcra.gov.ar/Pdfs/Politicas/ObjetivosBCRA_2016.pdf

Thanks. So, it hardly seems worth the effort and risk to deal with the arbolitos for a 2% spread, however, do ATMs really disburse at the 13.75 rate and are there any substantial service fees or exchange rate adjustments when using an ATM? Thanks again.

Moore
01-09-16, 13:33
If you're here for a week or two I'd say use the ATM, accept the lower rate for the security of not having to travel with as much cash just make sure to top off a lot. If you live here then you have to decide if bringing the money in is worth the higher rate you would get from a cueva once you add in the bank fees if you have them.If the credit card rate is now within a couple percent of the blue rate, why do you need all that cash in the first place? Other than a few things like taxis and some mongering I assume just about everything else can go on a credit card.

Gandolf50
01-09-16, 22:01
If the credit card rate is now within a couple percent of the blue rate, why do you need all that cash in the first place? Other than a few things like taxis and some mongering I assume just about everything else can go on a credit card.A lot of places dont accept credit cards, or they are always " sin sistema" . Which is another way of saying they dont accept cards. That and credit card cloning is fairly common, etc, etc. . Take the word of people that live here. Bring cash. The lines at the ATM,s will astound you at times and most machines are empty most of the time. Besides, the girls want CASH!

Riina
01-10-16, 12:04
How about this touchy issue of paying chicas pesos, this still apply?

Member #4112
01-10-16, 14:20
How about this touchy issue of paying chicas pesos, this still apply?It is not a touchy issue, rule of thumb you work in the currency of the country you are in. I can't tell you how many times a chica would ask for some outrageous number in dollars then when you asked for the price in pesos the number was much less than that quoted in dollars at the prevailing exchange rate. It's the KISS principle - use pesos.

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-16, 23:18
Maybe I haven't been reading messages here carefully enough, but when I needed some pesos today I thought I'd go to a bank which is a lot closer to me than any cueva that I am aware of. I went to the Superville on Las Herras and near Pueyrredón. As soon as I got inside I was faced with a kiosk asking me (I think) for an account number and what I wanted to do - deposit, withdrawal, pay a bill, etc.. Having no account number, of course, I went to the desk of the cutest employee I saw and asked her if she spoke English. Her English wasn't great but way better than my Spanish. She asked me if I wanted to change dollars into pesos or the other way around and then asked me to wait while she consulted another employee. When she came back she said that no I could not do a currency exchange. I think she said something like because I did not have a claim. I am guessing she meant because I did not have an account.

So I went to the cueva at Cerviño y Ortiz and got a rate of 13.8 (for $600).

Bob.

Guacamole
01-25-16, 20:58
So, I will be arriving to Ezeiza at 22:00 and want to check into my hotel and go for a chica. I dont have pesos.

How could I exchange currency at this time?

Where in microcentro would you recommend me to exchange my USD?

Thanks.

WorldTravel69
01-25-16, 23:14
After you get through baggage claim, walk through the doors, you will see different stands on both sides, turn right at the end of the wall, sharp. There should be a bank with ATMs.

Unless it has changed in five years.

So, I will be arriving to Ezeiza at 22:00 and want to check into my hotel and go for a chica. I dont have pesos.

How could I exchange currency at this time?

Where in microcentro would you recommend me to exchange my USD?

Thanks.

TejanoLibre
01-26-16, 01:04
Some of you may know or surely have seen or noticed Victor on the corner of Florida and Marcelo T de Alvear.

He has been there for about 10 years and he is wheelchair bound.

Today I just happened to be walking past him and I was looking for a quick and decent exchange rate but it was a national holiday and I only had a few bucks to exchange.

He gave me $14.60 to 1. Good enough. I had just finished a walking tour of BA and we had walked about 8 miles.

I'm sure you could find a better rate but it was a tiny amount and when I talked to him and thought about his situation I could not think of a more deserving individual.

He gave me the pesos and I told him that I didn't even need to count it but he insisted.

He had overpaid me. Of course I gave him the difference and asked him for his Whatsapp info.

Victor the Cambio Guy.

+54911 3604 1677.

Florida and Marcelo T de Alvear .

7 days a week .

In a wheelchair for life.

Thanks ,

TL.14 to 1 on Saturday.

TL.

Bobby Doerr
01-26-16, 08:38
Moving to Palermo on 3900 block of Cervino near Calle Arabia de Syria. Who is the best cambionista in the area? Thanks Bobby Doerr.

MessiFan
01-26-16, 20:14
Is there any point in exchanging currency before making the trip? I would think there would be competitive rates in NYC but I am still doing research. Never been before. Arriving in a few weeks just for a few days. Then a side trip for a few days. Then BA for one more night. Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Gandolf50
01-26-16, 20:48
Is there any point in exchanging currency before making the trip? I would think there would be competitive rates in NYC but I am still doing research. Never been before. Arriving in a few weeks just for a few days. Then a side trip for a few days. Then BA for one more night. Apologies if this is a dumb question.LOL!!! I really doubt you could find anyone with ARS (pesos argentinos) for sale in N.Y.. The spread is no longer that big. Worst case, change a little at the bank in the airport.

DavieW
01-26-16, 22:25
Apologies if this is a dumb question.You're forgiven....but it is a dumb question!

Arg pesos are not an internationally trade-able currency. You'd have trouble finding them even in neighbouring countries.

MessiFan
01-26-16, 23:47
You're forgiven....but it is a dumb question!

Arg pesos are not an internationally trade-able currency. You'd have trouble finding them even in neighbouring countries.Ah. Ok then! Thanks for the info!

TejanoLibre
01-28-16, 11:25
This is a First.

Lorena the Brazilian Cambio Girl offers a money-back guarantee if any of her 100 peso bills are ever rejected as fakes.

This is unheard of in the 10 years that I have lived here.

Simple.

Her 100's are "marked' so all you have to do is return it to her and she will exchange it.

Tiny little puppy paw print.

Last Saturday she was giving 14 to 1.

Marcelo T. De Alvear 626 Local #22.

@ Florida St.

L.P Silva's sweater shop.

Above the Direct TV store.

Lorena:

Whatsapp - +54911 6118 7649.

Almost speaks English and has a set of hooters too.

Bonus!

TL.

AllIWantIsLove
02-04-16, 10:53
13.8 for $300 at Cerviño y Ortiz on Monday Feb 1, 2016.

WorldTravel69
02-04-16, 12:13
Anyone know the exchange given at the ATMs?

VegasCrazyGuy
02-04-16, 19:35
Anyone know the exchange given at the ATMs?I was getting about 13.6 from the ATMs.

Best cash exchange I found is about 1.5 blocks past Acapulco Restaurant on the same side of the street. Just before you get to the second street after passing Acapulco Rest is a cell phone store with a cashiers cage in the back room. There is always a line of people there waiting to make cambio. They pay 14.2 for $100 bills and 13.9 for $20 bill.

Daddy Rulz
02-05-16, 21:35
Why would the official be higher than the informal? Is it a "because Argentina" thing?

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

Big Boss Man
02-05-16, 22:44
Why would the official be higher than the informal? Is it a "because Argentina" thing?

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/Neoclassical economists following the ideas of Marshall will always want to evaluate supply and demand functions to determine price.

Perhaps the Argentine government has increased its demand for dollars because it is about to settle its on-going bond dispute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/progress-reported-in-ny-talks-with-argentina-bond-creditors/2016/02/05/1176fc98-cc57-11e5-b9ab-26591104bb19_story.html

Sly One
02-06-16, 00:30

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/Answer is simple......

If you want to drive the informal guys out of business ..Then offer a higher rate for say 6 months or so and they will all go broke and find new jobs....

At that stage there will only be one rate "The Official Rate "as there will be no competition...

It called getting control of your currency exchange...

Sly.

Daddy Rulz
02-06-16, 00:51
Nor have I ever played one on TV. I appreciate the comments and I have some follow ups.

Neoclassical economists following the ideas of Marshall will always want to evaluate supply and demand functions to determine price.

Perhaps the Argentine government has increased its demand for dollars because it is about to settle its on-going bond dispute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/progress-reported-in-ny-talks-with-argentina-bond-creditors/2016/02/05/1176fc98-cc57-11e5-b9ab-26591104bb19_story.htmlIf this was the case, then would we see the cuevas keep place? The last ambito post was the Friday before a four day holiday perhaps it lagged.

Answer is simple......

If you want to drive the informal guys out of business ..Then offer a higher rate for say 6 months or so and they will all go broke and find new jobs....

At that stage there will only be one rate "The Official Rate "as there will be no competition...

It called getting control of your currency exchange...

Sly.If this is the case, and while I don't claim to understand Argentine Economics well beyond hooker pricing I do consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on how Argies themselves work, this will not put the cuevas out of business. They will simply follow right behind the "official" knowing that there are enough lazy tourists and people who want to hide their money that will trade it .05 or .10 behind the "official" in order to keep the transactions off the books and then they will run down and buy Pesos, Reales, Dollars, or Euros at the official rate to realize a profit.

When the bigger bills get released I'll be looking for a whole new wave of counterfeiters because a 500 peso bill is worth counterfeiting when a 100 peso bill isn't. So they will take dollars, buy counterfeit 500's at about 30% of face value, sell those to tourists, then take the tourist dollars, sell those to drug dealers and other people with off the book income and then settle up for real dollars at the higher government rate.

I see what you mean, and can see the government trying it, I don't think it will work though.

Thomaso276
02-06-16, 12:18
This morning I asked my local (argie owned) supermarket their dollar rate = 14.20. My change guy was 14.10 this week. Maybe its time to use dollars for daily untraceable transactions.

Vampire
02-11-16, 18:16
Worked the street last Sunday. I was offered 14 by most. I was able to negotiate 14.1 on a thousand dollars. The currency exchange in Pacifico was doing 13.6 and there were about twenty people in line!

MileHighDave
02-12-16, 06:04
Paid my Tourist reciprocity fee today. Government gave me 14.5:1. Considerate of them as they print all this money anyway! A-Peso goes down most every day particularly this week. Had a lot of catching up to do after being closed for Carnival earlier this week.

WorldTravel69
02-12-16, 14:03
Quoted 410.

Paid my Tourist reciprocity fee today. Government gave me 14.5:1. Considerate of them as they print all this money anyway! A-Peso goes down most every day particularly this week. Had a lot of catching up to do after being closed for Carnival earlier this week.

MileHighDave
02-12-16, 14:27
Quote on official exchange this morning per Bloomberg is 14.77:1. Found a quote on the net for blue dolar at 14.83:1. Why bother with unofficial exchange?

Daddy Rulz
02-12-16, 18:42
Quote on official exchange this morning per Bloomberg is 14.77:1. Found a quote on the net for blue dolar at 14.83:1. Why bother with unofficial exchange?You might not want to show a passport.

WorldTravel69
02-12-16, 20:07
All along Lavalle and Calle Florida.

Vampire
02-21-16, 20:58
I am in Bariloche right now, and there are guys all over looking to exchange money on Mitre. They were offering 14.8. Official is about 14.95-15 right now. Two year ago when there was a good spread on the blue dollar, I struggled to find one or two. Now there were a dozen guys in just 2-3 blocks.

I was in Ushuaia, El Calafate, and El Chalten over the last two weeks. Businesses, restaurants, and casinos were exchanging at a rate of 1 USD to 13 ARS....taking advantage of tourists.

AllIWantIsLove
02-22-16, 19:20
I reported on Jan 19th that I hadn't been able to exchange dollars for pesos at the Superville on Las Herras near Pueyrredón. That was because I had been told by an employee that I couldn't. But the employee was wrong. I bumped into someone from the US who had exchanged dollars for pesos at that same Superville branch. He said to ask the guard at the door for help. So I did, but the guard was so fast with the kiosk menus that I am not certain what he did. I think on the first menu, asking for a document number, he just touched "continuar", and then on the next menu I think he touched cambio or something similar. Whatever ... It was simple. On that first attempt I had given up too easy because it looked like you needed a document number of some sort.

NOTE that you do need your passport. And the clerk looked through the pages in my passport very carefully and several times. He may have been looking for that reciprocal thing which is not in my current passport because it's in my previous passport which of course I have with me in Argentina but did not take to the bank.

Bob.

Thomaso276
02-22-16, 20:45
He was probably looking to see if you had resident status in Argentina.

Its documented in my USA passport. Only tourists can change without proof of income.

What did you get?

Paladin
02-22-16, 21:02
Some good news... Capital One was giving at least 15 pesos as of Friday and 15.17 today according to a friend of mine... No transaction fees or conversion fees... Time to use the card and save the cash...

AllIWantIsLove
02-23-16, 10:52
He was probably looking to see if you had resident status in Argentina.

Its documented in my USA passport. Only tourists can change without proof of income.

What did you get?Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I got 14.7 on Feb. 17th. This was at the Supervielle on Las Heras between Austria and Pueyrredon.

Bob.

PirateMorgan
02-23-16, 22:36
The resent stability of the Peso reflected an optimistic outlook for the new regime in Argentina. But this new slipping of the peso shows signs of a bad future for the peso vs dollar. Not confirmed really until it happens but in this world of DRAMATICALLY depreciating currency what was once an uncommon extreme is now common; Col,Mex.

Me? I would convert just what I needed for daily living.

Bobby Doerr
02-24-16, 09:03
The resent stability of the Peso reflected an optimistic outlook for the new regime in Argentina. But this new slipping of the peso shows signs of a bad future for the peso vs dollar. Not confirmed really until it happens but in this world of DRAMATICALLY depreciating currency what was once an uncommon extreme is now common; Col,Mex.

Me? I would convert just what I needed for daily living.Good post. Once again, here is my take. The papers say the inflation rate is 20% but empirical observation says it may be more considering the way prices are rising at the markets and restaurants. As the peso develops less buying power, people will look to the dollar for stability. There will be an increasing demand for dollars and with greater demand, the exchange rate climbs. One feeds on the other. So, where will it end? Strict price controls maybe. My guess is the exchange rates may blow past the teens and move into the 20's for one dollar. Bobby Doerr.

Daddy Rulz
02-24-16, 10:51
Good post. Once again, here is my take. The papers say the inflation rate is 20% but empirical observation says it may be more considering the way prices are rising at the markets and restaurants. As the peso develops less buying power, people will look to the dollar for stability. There will be an increasing demand for dollars and with greater demand, the exchange rate climbs. One feeds on the other. So, where will it end? Strict price controls maybe. My guess is the exchange rates may blow past the teens and move into the 20's for one dollar. Bobby Doerr.Bobby there isn't a question in my mind that this analysis is spot fucking on correct. This is exactly what should happen.

Who the hell knows what will happen here.

WorldTravel69
02-24-16, 14:01
On Monday through TL's friend.

Paladin
02-24-16, 22:22
Today I withdrew 4500 pesos at HSBC by ATM at 15.26 from my US bank with a rebate of ATM fees later... Three withdrawals of 1500 pesos plus 93.6 fee... 1593.6 pesos from HSBC and $104.43 US from my account...

Paladin
02-25-16, 19:29
More recon... Do not use Argentine banks for ATM withdrawals... Banco Provincial and Banco Hipo only allow 1000 peso w/d and charge 93.6 pesos per transaction...total ripoff... Use HSBC and BBVA both allow 1500.

And at least 3 pulls... More recon tomorrow as to the maximum pulls per day from either BBVA or HSBC...My California gave 15.25 as the exchange today. Capital One MasterCard was 15.45 yesterday ...

Bobby Doerr
02-25-16, 22:08
The USA educated Harvard and MIT Sloane Business School economist, egghead now running the Banco Central de Argentina, Sturzenegger, is pissing in the wind if thinks he can buy his way out of this escalating peso weakness. Yesterday Federico Sturzenegger (no relationship to Arnold) invested more than US $100 million of reserves and the currency fell 28 cents. My take is the boys in Macr's store are very nervous. Flooding dollars into the market is like shoveling shit against the incoming tide. It will work for a while but will never stop the inevitable flood that's coming. Macri must tackle inflation first. Strict pay freeze and price controls. It will never happen because it's a bitter pill for Argentina to swallow. That's my two cents. Thanks Bobby Doerr.

SimpleWrangler
02-26-16, 01:28
After Macri www.dolarblue.net is no longer online.

However, for selling dollars the current market price can be seen online at www.mundinix.com.

They only mark the sell-dollar (buy peso) exchange in Buenos Aires, but it's quite accurate.

Tres3
02-26-16, 03:02
The USA educated Harvard and MIT Sloane Business School economist, egghead now running the Banco Central de Argentina, Sturzenegger, is pissing in the wind if thinks he can buy his way out of this escalating peso weakness. Yesterday Federico Sturzenegger (no relationship to Arnold) invested more than US $100 million of reserves and the currency fell 28 cents. My take is the boys in Macr's store are very nervous. Flooding dollars into the market is like shoveling shit against the incoming tide. It will work for a while but will never stop the inevitable flood that's coming. Macri must tackle inflation first. Strict pay freeze and price controls. It will never happen because it's a bitter pill for Argentina to swallow. That's my two cents. Thanks Bobby Doerr.Every politician in a democratic society, including Richard Nixon, who has tried price controls has failed. They may be a short term fix, but in the long term they are doomed to failure.

Tres3.

Vampire
02-26-16, 03:07
More recon... Do not use Argentine banks for ATM withdrawals... Banco Provincial and Banco Hipo only allow 1000 peso w/d and charge 93.6 pesos per transaction...total ripoff... Use HSBC and BBVA both allow 1500.

And at least 3 pulls... More recon tomorrow as to the maximum pulls per day from either BBVA or HSBC...My California gave 15.25 as the exchange today. Capital One MasterCard was 15.45 yesterday ...I had the same problem. I have American credit cards and bank cards. I'd try to draw out say 3,000 or so pesos from atms belonging to Argentine banks, and I'd get denied. The only time banks like Banco de la Nacion, Banco Patagonia, etc would work is if you withdrew a small amount like 700-1000 pesos, basically nothing bigger than their fast cash. To get the amount of pesos needed, you'd have to keep swiping and paying around 92 pesos per piecemeal withdraw. Maybe this scheme is how the Argemtine banks stay in business?

I was able to get 2000 pesos from a Santander Rio ATM on one swipe, but I think it denied me from getting 3000 pesos on the previous try. Is that a Spanish or Argentine bank?

WorldTravel69
02-26-16, 15:18
I got 2500p at the Citi on Florida and Tte Gral Juan Domingo Peron, on the 16th.

They charged me 90.60p.

For a total of $174.69.

Enough of this.

Start checking which Private Apartments are still open!!!

Tres3
02-26-16, 17:19
I got 2500p at the Citi on Florida and Tte Gral Juan Domingo Peron, on the 16th.

They charged me 90.60p.

For a total of $174.69.

Enough of this.

Start checking which Private Apartments are still open!!!The only way you can do better than a cueva is if you have an ATM card that rebates the ATM fee, does not charge a foreign transaction fee (charged by USA issuers on your monthly statement), and does not charge a money exchange fee (also charged by USA banks on your monthly statement).

Tres3.

PirateMorgan
03-01-16, 08:52
The move is on. Dollar holders and owners can only hope that the slide in the peso value will be gradual and orderly so as not to provoke some unpredictable and dangerous behavior out of the parties that be. This is truly a Pura Vida moment! (I gotta come and eat steak).

Peter Sideburn
03-01-16, 15:00
Sorry I am dense but this string, or my understanding of it, goes against everything I have encountered, anywhere....I know Welcome to Argentina! But, could someone on the street there with serious knowledge of this break this down for the board...If you don't know please don't confuse the issue more. Not looking for economics lesson but some basic breakdown of what the last few weeks of this string really mean to the person showing up tomorrow. Thanks if advance.

1. Are you saying not to exchange dollars for pesos at typical exchange places or "Cambio" guys we all know and love?

2. Are you saying the banks are giving equivalent or better exchange than the places above for straight up cash change dollars to pesos?

3. Are you suggesting that if your bank does not charge foreign transaction fees, money exchange fees, and rebates the ATM charge that using your debit card is a better deal than exchanging cash?

4. Are you suggesting that people use their credit card for purchases if it has not foreign exchange fee because they will get a better rater than they will from 1-3 above?

Troyster
03-01-16, 15:21
Sorry I am dense but this string, or my understanding of it, goes against everything I have encountered, anywhere....I know Welcome to Argentina! But, could someone on the street there with serious knowledge of this break this down for the board...If you don't know please don't confuse the issue more. Not looking for economics lesson but some basic breakdown of what the last few weeks of this string really mean to the person showing up tomorrow. Thanks if advance.

1. Are you saying not to exchange dollars for pesos at typical exchange places or "Cambio" guys we all know and love?

2. Are you saying the banks are giving equivalent or better exchange than the places above for straight up cash change dollars to pesos?

3. Are you suggesting that if your bank does not charge foreign transaction fees, money exchange fees, and rebates the ATM charge that using your debit card is a better deal than exchanging cash?

4. Are you suggesting that people use their credit card for purchases if it has not foreign exchange fee because they will get a better rater than they will from 1-3 above?I am no economist but I am understanding that cash is still king unless you have a magical bank card that charges no fees at all.

Tres3
03-01-16, 15:28
In an effort not to confuse the issue some more, I will respond only to your item #3. My post was in response to an earlier post. I was trying to alert members that they need to take all of the fees that are assessed before concluding that an ATM was a good, or almost equal deal.

FYI I do not live in Argentina, and there are no fees from my bank. My bank rebates all ATM fees. I visit Argentina almost every year for at least one month (lately for two). This will be my 15th trip to Argentina since 1991. Even though the current government has devalued the currency and made ATMs very close to cuevas, I will continue to change money with my local money changer. Nothing anyone has said or done has convinced me that my local money changer does not give the best deal. It is not as good as before the devaluation, but it is still better than an ATM. When I travel in Argentina, I leave all of my plastic in a safe.

Tres3.

PirateMorgan
03-02-16, 07:43
A couple of days ago I suggested only converting dollars to meet immediate needs. Now the slide is on and it is getting dramatic. So instead of just converting dollars to meet immediate living needs-heck-I would try to borrow in pesos (ie car loan), if possible, and repay later in what really looks like a fast depreciating currency.

Gandolf50
03-02-16, 13:47
A couple of days ago I suggested only converting dollars to meet immediate needs. Now the slide is on and it is getting dramatic. So instead of just converting dollars to meet immediate living needs-heck-I would try to borrow in pesos (ie car loan), if possible, and repay later in what really looks like a fast depreciating currency.The idea is sound if you are in the US, but here with interest at 40% plus....... Not a great idea. The people lending the money are well aware of the inflation and charge accordingly.

Diegoccs
03-10-16, 16:54
I had the same problem. I have American credit cards and bank cards. I'd try to draw out say 3,000 or so pesos from atms belonging to Argentine banks, and I'd get denied. The only time banks like Banco de la Nacion, Banco Patagonia, etc would work is if you withdrew a small amount like 700-1000 pesos, basically nothing bigger than their fast cash. To get the amount of pesos needed, you'd have to keep swiping and paying around 92 pesos per piecemeal withdraw. Maybe this scheme is how the Argemtine banks stay in business?

I was able to get 2000 pesos from a Santander Rio ATM on one swipe, but I think it denied me from getting 3000 pesos on the previous try. Is that a Spanish or Argentine bank?Same problem with my cards. Either Chase or Bank of America debit cards, I'm using Banco Nacion ATMs as they are close to home.

I can get 1400 pesos, if I try 1500 it gets denied.

Yesterday I got 1400 pesos, with a 94 pesos ATM fee, the charge by Chase was for US 97.02, so I'm getting 14.43 pesos per dollar.

I think it is not a bad deal, so will save US cash for other high cost 'activities'.

Thanks for the tip on Santander Rio ATM giving you $2000, will try it.

Regards,

Diego.

Santa
04-06-16, 17:46
I am getting 14.70, today, April 6, for exchange $100 bills. This rate seems a little low. What is the spread between the blue dollar rate.

And what is the "normal"discount from the buy rate, Thanks.

Daddy Rulz
04-06-16, 21:50
I am getting 14.70, today, April 6, for exchange $100 bills. This rate seems a little low. What is the spread between the blue dollar rate.

And what is the "normal"discount from the buy rate, Thanks.I just checked Ambito and I would say that 14.7 today was in the right ballpark, I might have gotten 14.8 or 14.85 from my guy maybe.

The spread is weird right now, sometimes the blue is above and other times below the "official." I don't think they really know what to do because the administration is buying down the rate in a bunch of different ways. Being money guys when they are uncertain they err to caution.

Tres3
06-28-16, 09:45
I received 15.0 yesterday. That is up from the 14.1 I received at the same place a week ago.

Tres3.

Member #3320
06-29-16, 00:12
I received 15.0 yesterday. That is up from the 14.1 I received at the same place a week ago.

Tres3.Thank the Brexit for the strong dollar.

No thanks to *weak peso*.

Diegoccs
06-29-16, 11:06
Got some cash at Banco Nacion ATM yesterday, with the infamous $6 fee by the local bank.

For $AR1500, using a Chase debit card, the total was $106.77, so the "ATM exchange rate" in my case was 14.04, including all fees, my bank and local bank ones.

So Benjamins are still a better option.

Dickhead
06-29-16, 13:38
Got some cash at Banco Nacion ATM yesterday, with the infamous $6 fee by the local bank.

For $AR1500, using a Chase debit card, the total was $106.77, so the "ATM exchange rate" in my case was 14.04, including all fees, my bank and local bank ones.

So Benjamins are still a better option.The better option would be for you to dump Chase and get an account with Schwab or E-Trade, both of which provide ATM cards where the fees are reimbursed world-wide. Chase sucks, right out loud.

Tres3
06-29-16, 14:24
The better option would be for you to dump Chase and get an account with Schwab or E-Trade, both of which provide ATM cards where the fees are reimbursed world-wide. Chase sucks, right out loud.Not only does Schwab reimburse the ATM fee worldwide, they also have no foreign transaction fee and no foreign exchange commission. One gets all of one's money. However, in Argentina I still think Benjamins are better because the cuevas often give you the best rate. I agree that Chase sucks, in more ways than one.

Tres3.

Diegoccs
06-30-16, 10:50
Out of curiosity, checked my Chase account. For my accounts there is no ATM fees, domestic or international.

But I see the charge for $AR1500 is for $106.77, just that, no extra fees or charges.

The Banco Nacion ATM gives a message that I will be charged around $AR90 (Around $6) when getting money. Is anybody getting this $6 charge also? Could it be just Banco Nacion... Or Cirrus Network?

Thomaso276
06-30-16, 21:54
The blue has been below the official for 3 days. Take your passport & money to a bank for a better rate at this time. http://www.ambito.com/.

Rocky2
07-01-16, 01:14
Out of curiosity, checked my Chase account. For my accounts there is no ATM fees, domestic or international.

But I see the charge for $AR1500 is for $106.77, just that, no extra fees or charges.

The Banco Nacion ATM gives a message that I will be charged around $AR90 (Around $6) when getting money. Is anybody getting this $6 charge also? Could it be just Banco Nacion... Or Cirrus Network?Everyone pays that $6.00 fee........but, as Dickhead says, Schwab refunds all the six dollar hits at the end of the month. What other bank do, I do not know.

Diegoccs
07-01-16, 10:31
Everyone pays that $6.00 fee........but, as Dickhead says, Schwab refunds all the six dollar hits at the end of the month. What other bank do, I do not know.Thanks Rocky2, all clear now... Thanks also Dickhead and Tres3.

Will go ahead with a Schwab account, just checked their web page, it looks easy to open an account with them.

BR!

Dickhead
07-01-16, 13:55
Actually, at least in my case, both Schwab and E-Trade refund the fee much sooner than that. With E-Trade it happens immediately, as in I go to the ATM and five seconds later I see both the withdrawal and the rebate of the ATM fee. With Schwab, I don't see either the withdrawal or the rebate until the morning of the next business day.

Thomaso276
07-01-16, 14:29
Changed today and got 14.85.

5 minutes later got 14.93 paying a bill with credit card.

Official rate still better than blue.

HappyGoLucky
07-05-16, 14:47
Hey Thomaso,

Which bank did you try? I tried Citibank and they said I had to be a client with an account to exchange dollars.

The blue has been below the official for 3 days. Take your passport & money to a bank for a better rate at this time. http://www.ambito.com/.

Gandolf50
07-05-16, 15:57
Hey Thomaso,

Which bank did you try? I tried Citibank and they said I had to be a client with an account to exchange dollars.I believe that is true at most banks. But then there is always the bank at EZE.. They are open long hours also.

Moore
07-05-16, 19:07
I've had to go to the bank (Santander) a few times this week. While there I changed a couple hundred (got 15.05).

You take a ticket, and the wait is 45 minutes minimum.

So I saved about $5 on $200 compared to the cueva rate. Certainly not worth the time, next time I'll go the cueva and change instantly.

Not that I'll be changing much. So far on this trip pretty much every restaurant, bar and store accepts my credit card.

HappyGoLucky
07-06-16, 16:00
Today I tried exchanging dollars at Santander on Santa Fe at Esmeralda and they told me I had to be a client.

I've had to go to the bank (Santander) a few times this week. While there I changed a couple hundred (got 15.05).

You take a ticket, and the wait is 45 minutes minimum.

So I saved about $5 on $200 compared to the cueva rate. Certainly not worth the time, next time I'll go the cueva and change instantly.

Not that I'll be changing much. So far on this trip pretty much every restaurant, bar and store accepts my credit card.

Invictus8
07-06-16, 16:01
Hello,

I am comming to Buenos Aires on 21st of July and I expect to sepnd quite some time there (going to teach English), and I wanted to ask you about the situation in Argentina right now. I have Canadian account where I have most of my savings, so I wanted to know, whether it is ok to just come there with my card and echange money there, or if I should exchange some USD beforehand. I intend to stay there at least half year. Thank you.

Moore
07-06-16, 21:37
Today I tried exchanging dollars at Santander on Santa Fe at Esmeralda and they told me I had to be a client.Sorry I didn't know that. I am a client but I was already there for another reason.

Gandolf50
07-06-16, 22:02
Hello,

I am comming to Buenos Aires on 21st of July and I expect to sepnd quite some time there (going to teach English), and I wanted to ask you about the situation in Argentina right now. I have Canadian account where I have most of my savings, so I wanted to know, whether it is ok to just come there with my card and echange money there, or if I should exchange some USD beforehand. I intend to stay there at least half year. Thank you.For now with the blue and the official rate almost the same, and you can do transfers without a lot of hassles money should not be a issue . But remember to keep a reserve because the banks are always going on strike or the ATMs are always empty, et., etc.. This after all is Argentina, always have a plan B!

HappyGoLucky
07-07-16, 04:34
That's okay. I'm glad you brought all this to my attention. I've started using my Schwab debit card on this trip because of your info., and I get the Visa exchange rate (which was $14.87 today).

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html?fromCurr=USD&toCurr=ARS&fee=0&exchangedate=07%2F06%2F2016&submitButton.x=115&submitButton.y=6&submitButton=Calculate+Exchange+Rates

http://www.ambito.com

Plus Schwab refunds all bank fees and there are no foreign exchange fees. So except for only being able to withdraw 2000 pesos each time, it's the best deal and there are several banks and ATMs around my apartment.

Sorry I didn't know that. I am a client but I was already there for another reason.

Invictus8
07-07-16, 05:49
For now with the blue and the official rate almost the same, and you can do transfers without a lot of hassles money should not be a issue . But remember to keep a reserve because the banks are always going on strike or the ATMs are always empty, et., etc.. This after all is Argentina, always have a plan B!Hi Gandolf, thank you for your reply. When you say keep reserve, I guess you mean little bit of pesos(because of inflation) but mostly USD right? Is there a way to get USD down there either through ATM or from the bank, when I have Canadian account? Because I would assume that I can only take out pesos from ATMs.

Thank you.

Moore
07-11-16, 17:23
I think I just set a record for worst exchange rate ever.

I pulled 2,000 pesos out of Santander ATM (that's the max) and the total that came out of my bank, including 3 fees, was USD 152.40.

So the effective rate was 13.12, about a 13% haircut off official.

I haven't used an ATM in Argentina for years, so I wanted to try. Lesson learned.

Johnbear
10-11-16, 11:05
Guys,

What is the exchange rate now? Where is the best place?

TejanoLibre
10-12-16, 22:40
Guys,

What is the exchange rate now? Where is the best place?Found $15.20 this afternoon.

It was not my money so I did not even check anywhere else.

TL.

Charm City Dav
11-03-16, 12:32
Hi, I almost always use ATMs when travelling. My bank has not transaction fees and even rebates any ATM fees charged. But seems the consensus here is cash is king in BA. Is that true. Can anyone recommend the best place to get a good rate in Retiro?

Daddy Rulz
11-03-16, 12:47
Hi, I almost always use ATMs when travelling. My bank has not transaction fees and even rebates any ATM fees charged. But seems the consensus here is cash is king in BA. Is that true. Can anyone recommend the best place to get a good rate in Retiro?There are no good rates right now and I don't know anyplace I would change money in retiro.

Retiro is really close to all of the places guys have talked about changing money on this thread.

Esten
11-27-16, 18:31
I brought about $1500 down and exchanged three times. Twice earlier in the week at 15.1 and 15.2. Later in the week got 15.4 at a different place. Both places were on Lavalle. This was all with 20s, I totally forgot to bring 100s, which would likely have got me a better rate. Not a big deal, probably a $20 difference. The "cambio cambio" guys are still out in full force.

Have done a few ATM withdrawals as well. The most I have been able to withdraw at one time is 2000 pesos which is a poor deal. Each withdrawl you get the $6 (94.20 pesos) local bank charge. Have yet to see what my bank charged, but suspect the net rate will be lower than 15.

TejanoLibre
12-09-16, 18:33
Howdy ,

If anyone needs to exchange a few pesos for this long weekend you can send me a message .

I am just trying to help a friend of ours that is leaving the country tomorrow morning .

Maybe 7000 so its just a little pocket change but completely worthless outside of the country.

Thanks ,

TL

Whatsapp is the Best way to communicate .

+54 911 6116 4254

BayBoy
12-11-16, 11:36
On the Bloomberg exchange it sez the argentine exchange rate is 15.99. Is anybody getting that or anything even close to that now?

HotRod11
12-15-16, 12:25
On Monday I got 16.00 and on wed I got 16.10 at 860 Florida. I have used this guy for several years I always exchange three hundred us and during the blue days he always seemed a little higher than others and now he seems right at the official exchange rate. When you enter this small shopping mall, Galeria el sol Walt to the last door on the right.

BayBoy
12-16-16, 01:16
On Monday I got 16.00 and on wed I got 16.10 at 860 Florida. I have used this guy for several years I always exchange three hundred us and during the blue days he always seemed a little higher than others and now he seems right at the official exchange rate. When you enter this small shopping mall, Galeria el sol Walt to the last door on the right.That's definitely an upward change from 3 weeks ago. Don't know if that will make things cheaper in BA.

Moore
12-17-16, 16:20
I brought about $1500 down and exchanged three times. Twice earlier in the week at 15.1 and 15.2. Later in the week got 15.4 at a different place. Both places were on Lavalle. This was all with 20s, I totally forgot to bring 100s, which would likely have got me a better rate. Not a big deal, probably a $20 difference. The "cambio cambio" guys are still out in full force..$1500 in 20s - will that even fit/fold in a wallet?

Big Boss Man
01-24-17, 11:01
Exchanged currency on Saturday January 21. I received 16.60 pesos per $ on Lavalle. Using my Schwab ATM with no foreign exchange fees or ATM fees I received 15.82 pesos per $.

Big Boss Man
01-25-17, 12:43
Today I received 16.63 per dollar. Yesterday I received 16.9 per dollar.

Slipknot
01-26-17, 00:13
Hey guys, it looks like I will be back in BA late summer for a few months and wanted to ask what was the best way to receive a money transfer from the US that I can convert to cash? Is Western Union a good option, or something similar? I plan to get a Schwab ATM card, but there might be occasions where I will need cash and don't want to set up a local account, etc.

Thanks in advance.

TejanoLibre
01-26-17, 01:54
Hey guys, it looks like I will be back in BA late summer for a few months and wanted to ask what was the best way to receive a money transfer from the US that I can convert to cash? Is Western Union a good option, or something similar? I plan to get a Schwab ATM card, but there might be occasions where I will need cash and don't want to set up a local account, etc.

Thanks in advance.Howdy Captain ,

Check out Xoom as a way to transfer money from the United States to yourself down here in Buenos Aires.

The company is owned by PayPal and the transfer fees are very reasonable compared to Western Onion .

Lots of convenient pickup locations too.

Actually cheaper than using an ATM for now .

Maybe only 4% but better than a stick in the ass.

After a certain amount of money has been transferred the Argentine government may ask you for proof of income .

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything before you arrive .

It's been a while !

TL.

Big Boss Man
01-30-17, 12:07
The security card at my hotel that offers advice says you should avoid giving a 100 peso bill to a taxi driver. It might have been true two or three years ago.

Tres3
01-30-17, 13:22
The security card at my hotel that offers advice says you should avoid giving a 100 peso bill to a taxi driver. It might have been true two or three years ago.Even though the newer bills are harder to counterfeit, the haste of taxis, especially after dark, and the unfamiliarity of the currency make cheating the gringo passenger relatively easy. I carry a wad of small bills in a separate pocket so that I am able to pay the taxi driver very close to the exact amount of the fare. You should also be sure the the driver puts the "flag" down on the meter and always try to take a "radio" taxi. It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.

Tres3.

Albert Punter
01-30-17, 22:55
However problem is that when you draw money from ATM only 100 bills are delivered.

Even though the newer bills are harder to counterfeit, the haste of taxis, especially after dark, and the unfamiliarity of the currency make cheating the gringo passenger relatively easy. I carry a wad of small bills in a separate pocket so that I am able to pay the taxi driver very close to the exact amount of the fare. You should also be sure the the driver puts the "flag" down on the meter and always try to take a "radio" taxi. It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.

Tres3.

Big Boss Man
01-31-17, 01:19
Many of the rides I have taken have ranged from 60 to 140 pesos so the 100 peso bill is a natural one to exchange. I have had a long day and a couple of drinks but isn't the initial drop 23 or 27 pesos now? The feedback is coming from very experienced guys so the advice on taxis should be heeded.

DavieW
01-31-17, 07:47
It is an unfortunate reality, but BA is full of petty thieves and fraudsters.
Never a truer word spoken. But in my 7+ years in ARG I was robbed more than most (20+ times!), but never by a taxi driver. I found them to be a very proud bunch who hated to hear stories about other drivers ripping people off. On more than one occasion I've had a driver take me home for free when I've realized I didn't have enough cash for the fare. Also been given discounts on the meter reading if they've inadvertently taken a longer route than necessary. It wasn't all good mind - I had a few bad experiences in taxis, having been thrown out after asking them to stop texting-and-driving, or smoking!

TomJackin
02-02-17, 05:46
But in my 7+ years in ARG I was robbed more than most (20+ times!)Robbed 20+ times. Could you please expand on that? Just to help me and others to avoid being robbed more than once.

HotRod11
02-03-17, 05:54
I am now holding 2 - 100 peso bills that are worthless. Both came from taxi drivers and from a scam where you hand them a 100 peso bill and they return it saying it is not acceptable because it has a tear on the corner or an ink mark on the bill and in reality this is not the bill you gave them. Locals tell me they always look at the last 2 numbers on the bill that they hand to a taxi driver....good advice.

Shamester
02-03-17, 14:25
I am now holding 2 - 100 peso bills that are worthless. Both came from taxi drivers and from a scam where you hand them a 100 peso bill and they return it saying it is not acceptable because it has a tear on the corner or an ink mark on the bill and in reality this is not the bill you gave them. Locals tell me they always look at the last 2 numbers on the bill that they hand to a taxi driver....good advice.The uber option is very appealing.

DavieW
02-07-17, 09:07
Robbed 20+ times. Could you please expand on that? Just to help me and others to avoid being robbed more than once.Well documented elsewhere on this forum.

Mostly from when I lived in Puerto Iguazu, which is a pretty typical border town, blighted with gangs coming over from Paraguay and Brasil to rob the tourists. The house was burgled a number of times, at least twice by the local police. In Buenos Aires I was most vulnerable when out with my toddler - if you've got a kid in your arms you're considered an easy target (no chance of either fighting back or running!). Luckily mainly just pick-pockets - only twice threatened with violence and only once had a weapon (knife) pulled on me - each time when I had my kid with me.

One thing I can tell you - if you are robbed, don't bother going to the cops. It's likely to cause you more bother than the thieves did. I once got pick-pocketed on the Subte by a very organized gang who created a fake crush of people getting on to the train. Other passengers who witnessed it told me to check my pockets because they recognized the gang and knew what had happened. I went to the cops and they held me for 4 hours before eventually telling me they could do nothing about it. I told them I could give them good descriptions of at least 3 of them - they declined the offer. It turns out, not only did the cops know them, but they had an agreement that as long as they didn't hurt anyone and only targeted foreigners, they'd leave them alone.

TejanoLibre
02-07-17, 09:37
I am now holding 2 - 100 peso bills that are worthless. Both came from taxi drivers and from a scam where you hand them a 100 peso bill and they return it saying it is not acceptable because it has a tear on the corner or an ink mark on the bill and in reality this is not the bill you gave them. Locals tell me they always look at the last 2 numbers on the bill that they hand to a taxi driver....good advice.Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.

DavieW
02-07-17, 09:42
Just photograph the bill before you hand it to them.

TL.I'd do that anywhere in the world when handing over a large denomination note to a taxi driver! Prior to mobile phones I'd always note down the serial number.

AllIWantIsLove
02-07-17, 14:55
<snip> I once got pick-pocketed on the Subte by a very organized gang who created a fake crush of people getting on to the train. <snip> It doesn't have to be a fake crush. I got pick-pocketed on the Subte during rush hour when every car was filled beyond capacity. It was a front pocket too. I had no idea until a guy standing near the door got off just as the doors started to close. I thought that was sort of strange and then I realized what had happened and checked the front pocket in which I had been carrying my wallet.

Bob.

AllIWantIsLove
02-07-17, 15:00

TL.Another smartphone aid is an app which turns the entire screen white so that you can see anything embedded in the bill. I use one called "WhiteScreen" on my Android phone.

Bob.

HotRod11
02-08-17, 05:17
I am a very very frequent traveler. In Medellin I had my first encounter with a pick pocket. I got out of my taxi at a point where most tourists arrive at the tourist area. The taxi was very small so i had to get out of the taxi to get to my money that was in my front right pocket. I paid the taxi and with a great deal of excitement I walked toward the touristy area. Within a few moments I felt a tug on my pocket. Turning to my right and with my elbow sticking out I hit a bad guy picking my pocket right square in the nose. My unintended aim was right on and hitting him on his nose. The bad guy fell to the ground and my money flew everywhere. Local Columbians gathered up my money and handed it back to me.People are the same everywhere. Colombian people are no different than people in any small city in the usa......

TomJackin
02-09-17, 04:23

TL.Great advise!

TJ.

Moore
02-09-17, 14:13
Has anyone found an ATM that will dispense USD? I just went to a Citibank on Libertador and the machine did have a menu option for USD, but when I tried it it would not dispense. So I ended up taking the max 2000 pesos.

I'm staying here a month longer than planned , need another USD 1,000 for rent, which preferably I could get in a couple pulls.

Rock Harders
02-09-17, 16:35
Has anyone found an ATM that will dispense USD? I just went to a Citibank on Libertador and the machine did have a menu option for USD, but when I tried it it would not dispense. So I ended up taking the max 2000 pesos.

I'm staying here a month longer than planned , need another USD 1,000 for rent, which preferably I could get in a couple pulls.To my knowledge, there are not currently any ATMs in Argentina that distribute USD. The menu option on the ATMs that offers USD dates from the 1-1 FX rate days and after the 2001 devaluation was still a viable option ONLY for account holders at that particular bank with USD denominated accounts. Currently, bank account holders can electronically buy/sell USD right from their internet "home banking" web interface in any amount without limits and either hold the USD electronically in a USD denominated account or go to the teller to physically withdraw the currency.

Tres3
02-09-17, 17:19

I'm staying here a month longer than planned , need another USD 1,000 for rent, which preferably I could get in a couple pulls.The closest ATM that gives dollars is in Uruguay. The fees are high, so if you do not have a Schwab or other ATM card that rebates fees, they will hit you pretty hard. Before Macri, many Argentines went to Colonia to get dollars from the ATM machines, and then change them on the blue market. The lines were long then, but since Macri, I imagine that they have gotten a lot shorter. The ferry to Colonia used to be fairly cheep, so if you must have dollars, that is probably your best bet. Some of the cuevas may give dollars for pesos since the Macri devaluation, but I do not know how much their haircut is.

Tres3.

Moore
02-09-17, 18:05
Thanks for the replies. Pulling USD from my US account did sound too good to be true in Argentina.

Pulling 16,000 in pesos and changing to 1000 USD would take 8 days and around $150 in fees, though mine are supposedly reimbursed now. Not a great option.

I may try Xoom.

Or better yet get the next apartment through AirBNB that just takes my payment online via plastic. It's so much easier than BYT argentina, that requires everything in cash USD, exact change, plus deposit and contract.

Shamester
02-11-17, 12:54
Citibank atms offers us dollar option.

Tres3
02-11-17, 13:01
Citibank atms offers us dollar option.Did you get dollars from a Citibank ATM?? If so, what ATM card did you use??

Tres3.

Shamester
02-11-17, 14:59
Did you get dollars from a Citibank ATM?? If so, what ATM card did you use??

Tres3.Works with whatever the atm accepts.

Moore
02-14-17, 01:48
Today I saw a local news flash that there will be a "paro bancario " or bank strike this Friday. If you're low on cash for the weekend I suggest pulling it before then just in case .

Moore
02-20-17, 17:53
Today I pulled 4,000 pesos (2,000 back to back) from a Santander Rio machine. I always assumed the 2,000 was a daily limit but obviously not.

Fishnfool
02-21-17, 16:02
I will arrive on the first of March and was wondering:

1. Did the aforementioned strike occur? If yes, does it affect my ability to get USD converted to pesos?

2. I read previously that Florida St is the place to go to get the best exchange rate. Does anyone have any tips on who, or other places?

Thanks for any help.

Russ.

Shamester
02-21-17, 21:23
My suggestion is to ask your hotel the closest money exchange location. Rate differences are insignificant unless you are exchanging big sums of cash.

Also remember to use big bills as they get a higher rate than smaller bills.

Atms are plentiful and usually reliable.

Rocky2
02-22-17, 23:21
Does anyone know if ATM's in Chile give a US dollar option as available in Uruguay?

Gandolf50
02-23-17, 05:51
Does anyone know if ATM's in Chile give a US dollar option as available in Uruguay?I dont know if dollars are available from ATM's in Chile but dollars are readily available. I even remember seeing the corner kioskos selling dollars.

Seismo
04-02-17, 17:32
Lavalle 835 # 15.

This is a souveneir shop in a mall.

Paraguay 640 # 115.

Located in galleria del sol.

Both of these places are safe and will give you decent rates.

I have used both several times in the past few years with good results.

Gilkey
05-31-17, 03:27
Today I pulled 4,000 pesos (2,000 back to back) from a Santander Rio machine. I always assumed the 2,000 was a daily limit but obviously not.I thought 2,000 was the limit too. They must have upped it.

Vampire
10-06-17, 01:19
I thought 2,000 was the limit too. They must have upped it.The last time I checked, the limit was 2,400 per transaction with a limit of two transactions, so 4,800 per day. It might be higher now.

Big Boss Man
11-04-17, 20:40
It looks like the Dollar official exchange is higher than the dollar blue. Are people still bringing cash or is the ATM being used now. I have the Schwab card with no transaction fees. I am arriving after Thanksgiving.

Jim Bob
11-27-17, 22:53
Changed money at the bank today (Piano Bank). You have to get a number, from a machine, I think the selection on the machine was comprar/venda de dinero extranero or something like that. It prints out a slip with your number. Then you wait there are monitors that tell you when your number is ready to be served. When your number is up you go to the cashier and show your passport and they change the money. I got about 17.3 pesos to the dollar. Maybe I was in the bank for 30 minutes. It was only 5 minute walk from my apartment so better than taking the subte to Florida.

Gringo Verde
12-01-17, 10:52
Yesterday I got 7.8 pesos to the dollar for 4 $100 bills at the exchange shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida. He gave me the same rate last Thursday. That's about 50 centavos more per dollar than the bank rate right now, or less than a 3 percent advantage.

G.V.

Old Coach
12-01-17, 19:53
Yesterday I got 7.8 pesos to the dollar for 4 $100 bills at the exchange shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida. He gave me the same rate last Thursday. That's about 50 centavos more per dollar than the bank rate right now, or less than a 3 percent advantage.

G.V.Surely you mean 17.8 ?

Gringo Verde
12-01-17, 21:17
Surely you mean 17.8 ?You are correct. 17.8 pesos to the dollar. Thanks.

G. V.

Big Boss Man
12-05-17, 12:26
I get my ATM fees reimbursed by Schwab so from the ATMs I am getting 17.20 ARS to the USD. If I did not get my ATM fees reimbursed it would be 15.83. ATM fees are extremely high. From the cambio yesterday, I received 17.80.

Jim Mac
12-19-17, 13:55
Can anyone give me locations of any good, safe cuevas in Palermo? Any within a 20 minute walk of Plaza Italia would be ideal. Would appreciate BM's help on this.

Diegoccs
12-19-17, 16:22
Can anyone give me locations of any good, safe cuevas in Palermo? Any within a 20 minute walk of Plaza Italia would be ideal. Would appreciate BM's help on this.Very close to Plaza Italia:

Thames 2426.

It is a Western Union / Cueva ran by very nice Columbian guys.

Never had a problem there.

Vampire
01-07-18, 14:58
I got 18.6 on Calle Florida today. There used to be some Brasilian's up by Plaza San Martin that I traded with, but they must no longer be there. Huge line of gringos at the currency exchange going for 18.4. Saved more on time than on money.

Black Gold
01-07-18, 15:27
I got 18.6 on Calle Florida today. There used to be some Brasilian's up by Plaza San Martin that I traded with, but they must no longer be there. Huge line of gringos at the currency exchange going for 18.4. Saved more on time than on money.I received 19 for $1000 on Florida Friday 1/5. At 5 pm. On the next day I was offered 19.1 for $1000 by another tout on Florida but did not need to exchange.

Vampire
01-12-18, 22:19
I got 19 on Calle Florida a couple hours ago, which I'm happy with since the official is at 18.66 right now tumbling down from a high of about 19.1 on Tuesday.

Fun Pete
01-26-18, 01:16
On Wednesday January 24, 2018 I exchanged at one of the Florida Kiosks for 19.50.

Fun Pete
01-29-18, 16:32
It's ridiculous, banks now charge AR$196 , about US$10 ATM fees with a limit of AR$3,000 withdraw. It happened to me at HSBC, maybe there are other banks with other fees? I will report if I find out. But it looks like cash or credit card are the best options.

Pishqa
03-23-18, 14:41
Was 20.60 on Florida for a $100 bill.

Daddy Rulz
03-24-18, 02:18
It's ridiculous, banks now charge AR$196 , about US$10 ATM fees with a limit of AR$3,000 withdraw. It happened to me at HSBC, maybe there are other banks with other fees? I will report if I find out. But it looks like cash or credit card are the best options.Fucking banks here have always been thieves.

Tres3
03-24-18, 11:07
While it will not stop the local bank thievery, the Schwab ATM card rebates the ATM fees at the end of each month. In addition to an almost worldwide ATM card, Schwab Bank also charges NO foreign currency conversion commission. Schwab Bank is an Internet bank that gives you access to your bank account anywhere in the world that has Internet access.

Tres3.

Dickhead
03-24-18, 15:55
My Schwab card refunds my ATM fees, world-wide, the very next business day. But I am probably more good looking and have a huge dick. Or not. E-Trade also rebates ATM fees but charges 1% foreign transaction fees if you use the debit card for purchases. One guy I talked to recently did say that Schwab opened accounts for him and then immediately closed them because they were not satisfied with his credit. We found that puzzling since all you are doing with an ATM card is taking out your own money. Even if they give you margin privileges, they can just liquidate your securities to satisfy your overdraft. So that was weird. He actually suggested that Schwab do something physically impossible to itself, so he might have been a little peeved.

Either a Schwab or an E-Trade ATM card, or both, plus a Capital One credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees and gives you cash rebates or travel points, should be in the wallet of all international mongers, and indeed all mongers, and indeed everyone.

Slipknot
03-27-18, 09:44
I got a Schwab account to take advantage of the no foreign transaction fees and no ATM fees. It was easy to set up on line while stateside and I seem to recall the card came within a week. You also have a brokerage account if you want to do trades, etc. The only slight drawback is that they sit on your money for three business days if you transfer from another bank account. In my case my Chase account. Not a big deal, as long as you plan ahead, but worth knowing about.

Dickhead
03-27-18, 13:10
I transfer money among E-Trade, Schwab, Vanguard, and a conventional bank and all the transfers take three days, normally. Sometimes two days, but that is rare. Even if I sell a security and have the funds go into another institution besides the selling institution, it's three days. Not sure if that can be improved on.

Tres3
03-27-18, 14:00
I transfer money among E-Trade, Schwab, Vanguard, and a conventional bank and all the transfers take three days, normally. Sometimes two days, but that is rare. Even if I sell a security and have the funds go into another institution besides the selling institution, it's three days. Not sure if that can be improved on.The only way I have found to speed up the transfer process is to go personally to a branch (a pain in the ass). I get same day funds if I deposit a Schwab Bank check (less than $10,000) into my JP Morgan Chase savings account at the branch that is walking distance from my house. Most of the time I just use an ATM for cash, but when I need a large amount of dollars (like a trip to Argentina) I go the deposit route.

Tres3.

Dickhead
03-27-18, 16:50
What's a 'branch'? Like an olive branch? Oh, you mean a BANK branch. I sort of vaguely remember those. Last time I went to Argentina I went to the AMEX office in Panamá City and they charged me $30 to hand me $10,000, and I ended up paying two days' interest as well before the E-Trade payment hit the AMEX account. One thing I don't like about AMEX is they will not allow you to create a credit balance. Maybe all credit cards are that way. I guess they have to make money somehow. I ran out of the AMEX office back to my hotel to pay off the $10k but I could not pay it off until the next morning, and then it took another day to hit. It was about seven dollars of interest.

BTW Platinum AMEX gets you into Delta airport lounges as long as you are flying on Delta, even in peon class, and you don't have to use the AMEX to pay for the ticket.

Dickhead
03-29-18, 10:28
Well, yesterday I transferred money from E-Trade to Schwab and it showed up in Schwab this morning. First time that has happened. So maybe technology has advanced.

Pishqa
04-08-18, 23:27
BTW Platinum AMEX gets you into Delta airport lounges as long as you are flying on Delta, even in peon class, and you don't have to use the AMEX to pay for the ticket.Amex Platinum also gets you into the Amex Centurion Lounge at Ezeiza. Also Gold status with Hilton, Starwood, Marriott, free Global Entry and other travel benefits.

BayBoy
05-12-18, 11:52
Whats the exchange rate now, dollar to Argentine Peso. I'm seeing and hearing stories of hyper inflation there in Argentina. And also the Blue Note where is that now?

BayBoy
08-15-18, 17:20
I see the exchange rate is now 30 pesos to the dollar. Do things seem cheaper??

Tres3
08-15-18, 20:33
I see the exchange rate is now 30 pesos to the dollar. Do things seem cheaper??My sources tell me that Argentines dollarize their pesos very quickly, such that most prices stay about the same in dollar terms. There are too many government employees, and the Macri administration is having a difficult letting them go.

Tres3.

Gandolf50
08-18-18, 12:40
I see the exchange rate is now 30 pesos to the dollar. Do things seem cheaper??I see many things here have increased by as much as %50 in the past six months. Cheaper??? Not really.

Jim Bob
10-05-18, 18:55
I am paying 1000 pesos to bang nice looking chicas. And I can eat a regular meal with a beer in a café for 200 pesos. I was paying roughly the same a year ago, or there has been a moderate increase maybe 20%. So from what I can see, dollar prices are often about half what they were a year ago. The peso prices increase due to inflation, for food and pussy at least, not the change in the dollar exchange rate. Or possibly at some point inflation will catch up with the drop in the pesos versus the dollar, however so far they are not and I find myself paying 50% less.

Vegas Vic
11-13-18, 15:24
I haven't been to BA in a few years, but am returning in a few weeks. For the best exchange rate, is it still best to bring USD cash (new $100s) and exchange on Calle Florida or are the banks (via ATM) better these days? What kind of rates are you seeing? Can you recommend any specific locations? Thank you in advance.

Jim Bob
11-13-18, 17:01
If you don't have fees from the ATM, I would do ATM. Otherwise the ATM fees seem very high to me. I don't see a big difference in the rate unless you're changing thousands of dollars

I haven't been to BA in a few years, but am returning in a few weeks. For the best exchange rate, is it still best to bring USD cash (new $100s) and exchange on Calle Florida or are the banks (via ATM) better these days? What kind of rates are you seeing? Can you recommend any specific locations? Thank you in advance..

Tres3
11-13-18, 17:43
If you don't have fees from the ATM, I would do ATM. Otherwise the ATM fees seem very high to me. I don't see a big difference in the rate unless you're changing thousands of dollars

.If you have a Schwab ATM card you avoid both the ATM fees and the foreign currency conversion fee. The foreign currency conversion fee varies by currency, and from bank to bank, and is usually buried (hidden) on the bank statement. Schwab rebates the ATM fee, and does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee.

Tres3.

Gringo Verde
11-14-18, 15:06
I haven't been to BA in a few years, but am returning in a few weeks. For the best exchange rate, is it still best to bring USD cash (new $100s) and exchange on Calle Florida or are the banks (via ATM) better these days? What kind of rates are you seeing? Can you recommend any specific locations? Thank you in advance.When I was in BA a month ago the ATM exchange rate was about the same as the rate exchange houses pay for cash. I received 39, 38, and 37 pesos per dollar for $100 bills in September and October. As others have written, the advantage of exchanging cash over using ATMs is that Argentine ATM machines charge excessive fees that your debit card may not refund, and ATMs severely limit the amount you can withdraw per transaction (less than $200 worth of pesos last time I used one).

There are several new professional exchange houses along Calle Florida. Most show their exchange rates in the window, and they are probably all honest. Walk a couple blocks up Florida from the Plaza San Martin end and the rates get better. If you use one make sure they don't charge a commission on the exchange.

I have patronized an old shop in Galaria Colon on the 300 block of Florida for the past 10 years. His rates are competitive and I've never been shortchanged or received a bad bill there. The shop is on the right at the end of a long hallway that has a cafe with a lighted sign reading "BAR" at the very end. There is a sign above the entrance that reads "Local 92", I think.

There is a new exchange shop with a lighted sign in the window across the hallway from the guy I use. They offered about half a peso more than my shop last time I was there, but they require an original passport to make the exchange, and I don't carry my passport with me when I'm walking around the city.

Vegas Vic
11-17-18, 01:08
Thanks for the info, Gentlemen.

Questner
04-04-19, 22:58
Paid in every place I could with a credit card. Take an ID with you, input your PIN, and sign a receipt. Saves a lot over ATM withdrawals with their limits and fees. Cash exchange rates are very poor. They prohibit you from taking pictures of the exchange rates. So, I tell them, here I am writing them over a piece of paper, take a picture and send. Prices at stores sometimes are different depending on how you pay, in cash or by a card.

SanMichele
09-02-19, 16:44
Trying to plan a visit. What’s the blue rate? Any recommended places for the exchange that are reliable.

There was a shop vis-à-vis recoleta, inside the store next to ice cream shop that was good. Thanks.

BayBoy
09-04-19, 19:16
Trying to plan a visit. Whats the blue rate? Any recommended places for the exchange that are reliable.

There was a shop vis--vis recoleta, inside the store next to ice cream shop that was good. Thanks.On the front page of the Argentina Private section look to the far right and scroll down a little ways. You will find the Blue Rate in the Exchange section. Changes every day.

Fun Pete
11-20-19, 00:05
At Florida the best deal I got today was 65 AR Pesos to the US$ The forum front page lists today's blue rate at 76.25, I didn't find anything near that. Most where offering between 59 and 65.

Tres3
11-20-19, 15:10
Paid in every place I could with a credit card. Take an ID with you, input your PIN, and sign a receipt. Saves a lot over ATM withdrawals with their limits and fees. Cash exchange rates are very poor. They prohibit you from taking pictures of the exchange rates. So, I tell them, here I am writing them over a piece of paper, take a picture and send. Prices at stores sometimes are different depending on how you pay, in cash or by a card.Are you crazy, or do you just like to give money away?

Tres3.

Questner
11-21-19, 00:27
Are you crazy, or do you just like to give money away?

Tres3.I beg your pardon? Things change, however for me this was the cheapest way to transact from foreign currency account outside of the country into ARS. I don't have local bank account, nor do I use local debit card or carry a lot of cash. You may help the discourse by providing full detailed explanation to your post, supported by numbers.

WorldTravel69
11-21-19, 07:37
A lot of places charge extra for using your credit card.

Cash is the best.

I guess you have not traveled much?

I beg your pardon? Things change, however for me this was the cheapest way to transact from foreign currency account outside of the country into ARS. I don't have local bank account, nor do I use local debit card or carry a lot of cash. You may help the discourse by providing full detailed explanation to your post, supported by numbers.

Gandolf50
11-21-19, 07:38
I beg your pardon? Things change, however for me this was the cheapest way to transact from foreign currency account outside of the country into ARS. I don't have local bank account, nor do I use local debit card or carry a lot of cash. You may help the discourse by providing full detailed explanation to your post, supported by numbers.To begin whith a lot of places give 10 to 20 % discount for cash. Plus changing dollars for pesos has a better exchange rate then the banks give you on your card. With the return of a corrupt goverment in a month this will become even more in favor of cash is king.

Fun Pete
11-21-19, 16:11
Let me give some numbers:

In Florida cash exchange I got $1US = 65 AR Pesos today.

Using my credit card (I do not get charged any foreign exchange fees or so): $1US = 59.53 AR Pesos.

Using my ATM (my bank refunds ATM Fees): $1US = 59.47 AR Pesos.

Be carefull with ATM fees, they charged me 625 AR pesos (US$ 10.51) which my bank refunded. So if you use ATM it can get pricey, also I do not know what the withdrawal limit is?

As far as I can conclude, cash will give you about 10% or so more value, not so much of a big deal. I thought the blue rate was around AR75+ which would make it really beneficial. However, at 10% I do use my credit card when convenient. Also as far as a cash discount, sure any country, even in the US, when you pay cash vs. Credit card you can get a discount, for example no sales tax, etc.

One more note on credit cards: Foreigners as of now do not pay Hotel Taxes when they pay with a foreign credit card and have a non Argentinean passport. So in that case it is actually beneficial to pay with credit card, because the Hotel tourist tax is around 21% or so added to the room fee.

Good Luck.

FP.

Questner
11-22-19, 00:24
A lot of places charge extra for using your credit card.

Cash is the best.

I guess you have not traveled much?Multiple transactions and no extra fees for using cc. Sometimes, the vendor offers a discount if paid in cash, meaning no debit card or credit card transaction. It should be illegal, but who am I to teach Argentinians of how to manage their economy.