PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Questner
11-22-19, 00:37
To begin whith a lot of places give 10 to 20 % discount for cash. Plus changing dollars for pesos has a better exchange rate then the banks give you on your card. With the return of a corrupt goverment in a month this will become even more in favor of cash is king.As I am posting now, 1 USD on my cc will cost me 61.25 ARS including 2.5% charged by VISA. Dolar blue rate 'compra' is 63.75 unless I find a kiosk which is going to offer a better rate. This is 4% advantageous to me if I had cash and not use my cc. However, I am a tourist and don't travel with piles of cash for security reasons. It costs me much more to withdraw pesos than 4% because of the 'smart' government who limits dispensing cash out of ATM. Where can I withdraw 30K in pesos in one transaction, for example at ATM on VISA System? Nowhere, plus the fees they charge, 420 Pesos on 4K to 5K withdrawal, which is robbery. Cash is always king, but that is what many Argentinians do, they suck cash, exchange it and deposit in Urugauay. The government will not achieve anything unless they make sure there is trust and economic benefits are shared.

Questner
11-22-19, 00:47
At FunPete: I agree, however my institution covers withdrawal fees only, but not the ATM fees itself - you are blessed with a better choice as a consumer. If your institution gives you exact XE market rate, then you're blessed twice, I have no access it this service, even through exchange houses. My Mastercard or VISA charge 2.5% over XE rate. As for hotels, I don't pay ahead and pay at the hotel only and it helps with tax issue in Argentina or Colombia. I wish Brazil does the same.

Mendez
12-05-19, 11:12
Isn't it possible to get foreign money from ATM's?

Wild Walleye
12-05-19, 16:22
Isn't it possible to get foreign money from ATM's?I don't think you can get USD out of an Argie ATM.

Getting ARS before traveling is a pain in my ass. I'll pay the ATM fee at the airport for my first fistful of pesos for walking around money.

Grab one of these travel wallet things.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/d8/ac/22d8acd845671c5fe9d790f0c896d99b.jpg

Stick a grand or two in it (before you leave the US) and tuck it in your pants (don't put your passport in it, its a PIA). This thing doesn't come out until you're in your hotel room. Take what you want to exchange and put the rest in the safe along with a credit card and your driver's license (won't do you any good unless trying to establish your identity at the US embassy) and a photocopy of your passport. That way, if you end up having 'problems' you'll still have the resources necessary to get home.

The ATM fees, over the course of a week of mongering, will add up to at least an hour or two with a lovely lass.

Questner
12-15-19, 02:46
Just a note, there are several exchange rates you can take a look; one is at at xe.com, then dolar blue rate, then a rate at a particular exchange place, and then an official rate. Tourist dollar rate has been implemented, it relates to dollars purchased by Argentinians for purchases and travel abroad.

Questner
12-17-19, 04:44
Argentinians now have to pay 30% more over official rate on card purchases in dollars. It pushes dolar blue rate up. Now USD cash is a way to go, as interbank xe rate does not reflect real demand, and for now we are going back in time.

Thomaso276
12-20-19, 13:13
All of South America is flooded with the older bills. As a local expat I am looking for new - blue stripe - bills here in BA.

I will make it worth your while. Check my reliability & legitimacy with Admin. Plus you must be a veteran on this board.

For example, are you ready to leave BA and have dollars left over; do you have room for bills under the 10g limit as you fly to BA.

PM me for details.

Thomaso276
01-02-20, 19:14
All of South America is flooded with the older bills. As a local expat I am looking for new - blue stripe - bills here in BA.

I will make it worth your while. Check my reliability & legitimacy with Admin. Plus you must be a veteran on this board.

For example, are you ready to leave BA and have dollars left over; do you have room for bills under the 10g limit as you fly to BA.

PM me for details.Instant transfer to your account using Zelle+ 3% .

1000 bucks gets usa $33 or peso rate today = about 2400 pesos = 1 chica session.

PM to discuss.

TejanoLibre
01-06-20, 18:11
Anyone like the idea of 77 to 1?

USD $100.00's to Pesos. Completely Safe and SECURE .

From a very GOOD friend and occasional PARTNER who lived in New York and obviously can Speak English and I can VOUCH for him 100% !

My words are GOLDEN like always !

Tejano Libre is ALIVE and WELL !

Later Gators !

Or Gatos ?

Member #3320
01-17-20, 00:32
Anyone like the idea of 77 to 1?

USD $100.00's to Pesos. Completely Safe and SECURE .

FToo low. Western union is 1 usd = 81.

Ricerocket99
01-17-20, 04:56
Going to BsAs in 3 weeks as a first timer, so figuring out the best option to get the most out of my USD. Doesn’t WU charge fees? I know cash is king there so I assumed Calle Florida would be the route to go, but since I don’t know any reputable places, I don’t want any chances to be scammed. I’m using Tejano’s services, so I hope he can hook it up!

Too low. Western union is 1 usd = 81.

Ricerocket99
01-18-20, 03:07
I stand corrected. I checked on my WU app today and it does show 1 to 81 with various fees. Fees depend on payment options, if you pay in person at an approved WU USA location, you get the lowest fee (usually one time fee). Rate would be 1 to 78/79 after paying the one time fee. If you pay online through a debit card, credit card or bank account, the fees would become a percentage of the transfer amount, around 10%, which is still decent so you still get 1 to 73. I plan to WU myself before I leave the great ol US of A and pick up the money when I get there.

Has anyone done this before? Transferring money to oneself? Wonder why WU is offering such a favorable rate, better than xoom or any service for that matter. I will still have cash on hand as well. Don’t plan on using debit or credit card, but will have them as emergency options .

Going to BsAs in 3 weeks as a first timer, so figuring out the best option to get the most out of my USD. Doesnt WU charge fees? I know cash is king there so I assumed Calle Florida would be the route to go, but since I dont know any reputable places, I dont want any chances to be scammed. Im using Tejanos services, so I hope he can hook it up!

Gringo Verde
01-18-20, 14:42
Ricerocket99 is right. Western Union shows a rate of 81 pesos to the dollar this morning and Xoom shows a rate of 68/$1. That doesn't make sense - they should be about the same.

Ricerocket99, most of the exchange shops on Calle Florida these days are reputable and professional. See my earlier posts on the subject or ask other members where they go. Just ignore the touts in the street and go directly into the shop.

Does anyone know what the exchange shops on Florida are paying for US $s this week?

GV.

Questner
01-18-20, 20:47
As a suggestion, please always provide a web link, photo or address when you post about exchanges. Otherwise, it's unclear if it buy or sell rate, cash or cheques etc. Exchange booths in BA hate when you make a photo of their rates, but fuck them!

Admin2
01-19-20, 00:28
Too low. Western union is 1 usd = 81.Check the date on his post, it was ten days before yours, when he posted it it was probably good.

Going to BsAs in 3 weeks as a first timer, so figuring out the best option to get the most out of my USD. Doesnt WU charge fees? I know cash is king there so I assumed Calle Florida would be the route to go, but since I dont know any reputable places, I dont want any chances to be scammed. Im using Tejanos services, so I hope he can hook it up!I have no doubt he knows many places. Rule of thumb, if you're walking down Florida or Lavalle and they try and make change on the street walk away, if you go into a physical location you're usually good. I use one inside of a gallaria on the 700 block of Lavalle across from the now closed Acapulco Restaurant. Go in and line up on the left and when it's your turn get buzzed in and lay your money on the counter.

NewOrleans
02-25-20, 23:10
Best rate I have found is Western Union at 80.79 which is higher then the Blue Rate. If you bring cash to a store there is a flat fee of 10 dollars. I don't think you can find a better rate or a safer way to get money in Ba.

Spanky28
02-26-20, 14:33
Got 75 on Florida on 2/21.

Went to another shop on 2/22 and got 76.

Dingu
02-28-20, 14:11
Hey guys, I'll be in town next weekend and I would like to exchange some money.

I have never exchanged money there before so I don't know where the best places are. I will be staying in the cordoba and 25 de Mayo area.

Does the exchange places require ID? Do I need to take photocopies of my ID?

Does though exchange places give the blue dollar price or official?

Any help you guys can give will be much appreciated!

Boston
02-28-20, 20:21
Got 75 on Florida on 2/21.

Went to another shop on 2/22 and got 76.Where on Florida? A hawke or regular place?

Thanks.

Questner
02-28-20, 23:43
5 pesos banknotes will not be in use after March 1, 2020.

Macgoo
03-01-20, 21:38
Ignore those Arbolitos; best rate and comfortable exchange inside travel/tourist agency on Lavelle, off Florida. This agency is inside a tiny mall, that you will recognize by the miniature BMW sitting in the lobby. The agency is in the back and facing the street. I prefer this because there is a separate room for exchanging money, without rush and they use a counting machine that would kick-out any fakes. Been getting between 74 and 76 for the last 2 months! Others must wait in outer room until you have comfortably counted and put away your stash-of-cash.

BayBoy
05-05-20, 15:08
Just wondering what exchange rate people are getting for the dollar for the Blue Rate against the Peso now a days at the exchange houses. Can you get 120 pesos to the dollar?

Carlotx
05-07-20, 13:59
Just wondering what exchange rate people are getting for the dollar for the Blue Rate against the Peso now a days at the exchange houses. Can you get 120 pesos to the dollar?I got 110 on monday on santa fe.

BayBoy
05-07-20, 17:02
I got 110 on monday on santa fe.Thanks for the info. I was wondering if anyone has gotten as much as 120 say on Florida?

Tyrell
07-25-20, 14:15
Seriously considering moving to BA in early 2021. I just want to make sure about some stupid questions I have. What would be the problem with taking a monthly ferry to Montevideo and taking out $1500-$2000 out of the bank in USD. Then taking it back to BA and exchanging it at a Cambio for pesos.Then deposit the pesos in an Argentine bank account. With the present rate being 72 official/132 blue, the 70+% spread makes the monthly trip worth it.

But it sounds too good to be true. Why doesnt everyone do it? Hell, why dont the Cambios do it? Please burst my bubble and tell me the reality of my plan before I get my hopes up too high. Or hell....maybe one of you guys can try it, in which case, youre welcome. :).

WorldTravel69
08-01-20, 20:07
I was there in 2001 when the banks closed.

Luckily I Dollars on me to get home.

Good Luck with that thought.

Seriously considering moving to BA in early 2021. I just want to make sure about some stupid questions I have. What would be the problem with taking a monthly ferry to Montevideo and taking out $1500-$2000 out of the bank in USD. Then taking it back to BA and exchanging it at a Cambio for pesos.Then deposit the pesos in an Argentine bank account. With the present rate being 72 official/132 blue, the 70+% spread makes the monthly trip worth it.

But it sounds too good to be true. Why doesnt everyone do it? Hell, why dont the Cambios do it? Please burst my bubble and tell me the reality of my plan before I get my hopes up too high. Or hell....maybe one of you guys can try it, in which case, youre welcome. :).

Vampire
08-04-20, 10:23

But it sounds too good to be true. Why doesnt everyone do it? Hell, why dont the Cambios do it? Please burst my bubble and tell me the reality of my plan before I get my hopes up too high. Or hell....maybe one of you guys can try it, in which case, youre welcome. :).This is exactly what expats were doing for years before the official rate and blue rate came together in December 2015 under Macri. The lines at the ATM's in Colonia del Sacramento would be long and would sometimes run out of dollars. Why isn't everyone doing it? You have to have a bank account in USD and I do not think this is possible for Argentines. I think a roundtrip ferry to Montevideo is something like 150-200 dollars, which isn't exactly cheap, for an Argentine at least. Also, the number of expats living in Argentina is down. Buenos Aires was alot more fun in 2013-2014 than today. Every time I go back it is more headaches.

Questner
08-04-20, 22:52
Maybe Argentinians have half of a trillion in USD under mattresses and more in Montevideo.

These rates are relevant for today August 4, 2020 and the mechanism will likely change in the future.

The official dollar (dólar official) is trading this Tuesday, August 4, at $ 71.86 for purchase and $ 76.84 for sale in banks.

As for the blue dollar (your black market or street dollar) (dólar blue), this day is trading at $ 131.00 for the purchase and $ 136.00 for the sale. Thus, it marks a gap (la brecha) of 82% with respect to the official dollar. The value of the blue dollar has a substantial difference with the official dollar, which is purchased from banks and has an established price.

On the other hand, the tourist dollar (also known as the solidarity dollar)( dólar turista /dólar solidario) is trading at $ 99.45. This value is the one used when buying dollars for savings or for making transactions abroad (using credit or debit cards) and it’s higher by 30% of the value of the official dollar of the day.

Another exchange rate is the wholesale dollar (dólar mayorista), which starts the day at $ 67.80 for purchase and $ 67.80 for sale.

In relation to the Cash with Liqui (CCL)( Contado con liqui CCL), the reference price is $ 116.01. The CCL is the operation that allows companies to buy Argentine issued financial instruments in the local market and sell them abroad in order to use foreign currency for "hoarding".

How many types of dollar are there in Argentina?

Today in Argentina there are at least six different types of quotes for the US currency, some more used than others.

1) Savings dollar / card or tourist / solidarity dollar (Dólar ahorro/tarjeta o dólar turista/solidario): it has a surcharge of 30% imposed by the Government on purchases made with a card in foreign currency and on the acquisition of foreign currency for savings ("atesoramiento") within the official circuit.

2) Blue dollar (dólar blue): these are banknotes sold in the informal market, through what Argentinians call “caves” or “little trees” (cuevas o “arbolitos”) on the street.

3) Counted with Liqui: (Contado con Liqui): it is a legal operation to get dollars abroad. It has became the preferred path for companies. Argentine stocks or shares are bought in pesos and then sold abroad in dollars.

4) Official or retail dollar (Dólar oficial o minorista): it is the price that individuals can access but always within the US $ 200 monthly limit (cepo).

5) Wholesale dollar (Dólar mayorista): it is the one used for foreign trade, the payment of debts denominated in USD and dividends. Theoretically, it is the one that influences the pricing of imported products.

6) Dollar for industry and services (Dólar para industria y servicios): due to the effect of withholdings, exporters of manufactures and services actually receive a dollar at a lower value than the official one, and much lower than the blue one. Within this category, there are different values for those who export meat and dairy products, for wheat, corn and sunflower and for soybeans.

Wild Walleye
08-21-20, 01:15

But it sounds too good to be true. Why doesnt everyone do it? Hell, why dont the Cambios do it? Please burst my bubble and tell me the reality of my plan before I get my hopes up too high. Or hell....maybe one of you guys can try it, in which case, youre welcome. :).Keep all of your money in dollars until the moment before you plan to spend it.

Omegaman
08-30-20, 02:05
Keep all of your money in dollars until the moment before you plan to spend it.I have a question: if you bring more than $10,000 into Argentina and declare it what are the issues. Will Argentina tax the money? Will they track the money so it will be difficult to exchange at the blue rate on Florida Ave? Any other issues I am not thinking of.

Wild Walleye
08-31-20, 00:21
I have a question: if you bring more than $10,000 into Argentina and declare it what are the issues. Will Argentina tax the money? Will they track the money so it will be difficult to exchange at the blue rate on Florida Ave? Any other issues I am not thinking of.Keep that cash in a US bank and draw it as needed via an ATM card.

Old Coach
08-31-20, 02:58
Keep that cash in a US bank and draw it as needed via an ATM card.Any idea when travel to Argentina will be opened?

Having withdrawl symptoms :):):).

Omegaman
08-31-20, 10:34
Keep that cash in a US bank and draw it as needed via an ATM card.The only issue with that is I get the official rate. By bringing cash I get the blue rate, which is at least a third more.

PirateMorgan
09-01-20, 06:37
For W.W.....the way we do it here is by Western Union. WU transfers are done close to the Blue Dollar rate. The best way is having someone in the U.S. Send the money to you here. I have no luck just accessing my bank account in the U.S. and doing it myself. Someone sends me the money by physically going to WU in the states once a month. I physically pick up the money here...in pesos. It really works well. And you keep a minimum here in reserve...and.....then....you will NEVER be using your debit card or credit card in Argentina. You will be living a cash life.

El Perro
09-01-20, 10:48
For W.W.....the way we do it here is by Western Union. WU transfers are done close to the Blue Dollar rate. The best way is having someone in the U.S. Send the money to you here. I have no luck just accessing my bank account in the U.S. and doing it myself. Someone sends me the money by physically going to WU in the states once a month. I physically pick up the money here...in pesos. It really works well. And you keep a minimum here in reserve...and.....then....you will NEVER be using your debit card or credit card in Argentina. You will be living a cash life.All true except the Western Union rate follows the Contado con Liquidacion, not the Blue Dollar. They are often pretty close though. You can also use your USA debit card to send money via WU. There is a fee doing it that way, but if you don't have someone helping in the states its an easy method. I sent $400US via WU early yesterday morning and picked up$49,000+pesos at WU within an hour.

CarlitaFitness
01-04-21, 12:27
Like many already said here, the official rates are almost half than the unofficial (80 to 160 to round up). So I would not recomend using ATM´s or similar methods unless you stay in an insecure place.

Avoid dressing like a tourist, speaking outloud or taking pics everywhere and you´ll be fine.

There are tons of "arbolitos" (little trees) which are men shouting "cambiooo" (exchange) in avenida corrientes. If you have a local contact that´ll be perfect so they don´t take advantage, but in any case those "arbolitos" will take you to an office and should respect the "blue" price of your money.

Apparently borders will be closed in about a couple of weeks, but nothing is being confirmed yet.

Sandraallen
04-10-21, 06:47
I am new here and planning to visit Argentina soon :).

Sun08
10-31-21, 17:55
A new rule about bringing US Dollar to Argentina.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/economy/argentina-will-let-foreign-tourists-bring-in-dollars-at-a-lucrative-rate.phtml

SteveG75
11-15-21, 23:03
Like many already said here, the official rates are almost half than the unofficial (80 to 160 to round up). So I would not recomend using ATMs or similar methods unless you stay in an insecure place.

Avoid dressing like a tourist, speaking outloud or taking pics everywhere and youll be fine.

There are tons of "arbolitos" (little trees) which are men shouting "cambiooo" (exchange) in avenida corrientes. If you have a local contact thatll be perfect so they dont take advantage, but in any case those "arbolitos" will take you to an office and should respect the "blue" price of your money.

Apparently borders will be closed in about a couple of weeks, but nothing is being confirmed yet.Don't get rip off exchange with those cambio. Western Union give the best rate, 209 today, plus it is safe & secure.

Rudy Rude
02-22-22, 22:45
Don't get rip off exchange with those cambio. Western Union give the best rate, 209 today, plus it is safe & secure.How long in advance should I initiate the transfer? Should I do it a day before I leave? Also I read that you should only attempt to transfer US 300/400 at a time. A $1000 is too much for them to handle.

Born Free
06-04-22, 17:52
Only because I was unable to open up a new thread ..... I'll ask here. Can anyone please recommend an insurance company offering reasonable, short-term Covid-19 health coverage?

After much time wasted on the internet searching, I don't see any good options. In reality, I just need Covid / SARS-CoV-2 variants health coverage to enter the country. And for just for 19 days. It seems that most health coverage options require longer term commitments and try to bundle in all types of useless coverage.

I am double vaxxed yet still contracted Covid (delta variant) last year. But this is the game being played to gain entry and so play it I must.

Thanks in advance.

Frankols 70
11-30-22, 02:29
A new rule about bringing US Dollar to Argentina.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/economy/argentina-will-let-foreign-tourists-bring-in-dollars-at-a-lucrative-rate.phtmlSome more of the same, but this time for debit and credit cards issued outside Argentina.

Yvrcanadian
02-05-23, 19:22
Just came back from BA and this is our experience.

As you know, there are 3 exchange rates in Argentina. The Official Govt rate (bad), the Bank rate, and the black market Blue rate.

At the time of our visit (Jan 2023), the bank rate was about 183 pesos to USD$1. This is the rate that banks will exchange money with you for and also the rate that most cambio (money changers) will do it for.

The blue rate at that time was around 365-380 pesos for $USD1. The blue rate is available from merchant stores. But not all merchant stores will exchange money. The one we went to at the recommendation of our tour guide was called Guns Leather at Calle Florida 658. Its just a regular leather store selling jackets, belts, wallets, etc. But they will exchange money for you at the Blue rate. Its important to bring USD$100 bills to exchange. The rate is about 10-20 pesos less if use smaller denominations like $50 or $20s bills. You can call them before hand to ask for the exchange rate. They did not speak English that well but they can understand you. I picked up a leather wallet and belt while I was there too. The quality is quite good.

Also, you might want to check with the front desk of your hotel. If you stay at a non 5 star big chain hotel, then the front desk clerk usually has a side gig going on to sell blue rate pesos. Our hotel clerk gave us a blue rate of 340 pesos for $1 USD and that was about 30 pesos less then the published blue rate on the first day we arrived at the hotel. I figured he knew we needed pesos for walking around money and gouge us a little on it. We bought it from him considering the alternative was less then half of that if we went to a cambio. On the second to last day of our check out, we bought from the same clerk at a much higher rate of 370. He probably figured out we knew where to get the blue rate now and did not try to gouge us.

The blue rate is available on the nightly news. Or check out this website https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html..

Good luck and good hunting in Buenos Aires.