PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Currency

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Jackson
01-01-05, 02:00
I've created a new thread in the "Living in Argentina" forum titled "Currency Exchange Rates - Political Discussion" specifically to discuss the politics surrounding international currency exchange rates.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where can I check today's currency conversion rates?

My favorite website is http://www.dolarhoy.com.ar/

It's a local Buenos Aires website that is updated several times every day. They have a chart that compares the rates of all the cambios and banks, with the best buy and sell rates highlighted. Each cambio or bank name is a link to a popup window with the address, etc.

Other websites include:

http://www.dolarpeso.com

http://xe.com/

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/currencies/americas_currencies.html

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=USD&to=ARS&submit=Convert

2. Where is the best place to change currency?

There are a number of currency exchange locations scattered through Recoleta and the Microcenter. However, after utilizing many of them at one point or another, I've come to the conclusion that the "best" place to exchange currency is the 500 block of Sarmiento, near the intersection of San Martin, one block from Florida Ave.

In this 2 block stretch of Sarmiento there are perhaps 2 dozen banks and cambios, many with signs clearly displaying their current dollar exchange rates. In my own personal experience I have determined that these numerous venues located in such close proximity to each other offer the city's best rates, no doubt spurred on by their mutual competition.

My preferred exchange house is:

Paris Cambio Corner of Reconquista and Sarmiento.

Second Location: On Sante Fe between Suipacha and Esmeralda (in the Microcenter).

There are a number of reasons why I prefer to use Paris Cambio, including:

1. They almost always have the most favorable exchange rate in the city, as demonstrated on many days by the comparison chart on www.dolarhoy.com.

2. They do not require you to present a passport or other ID to exchange money.

3. They do not close for three hours in the middle of the afternoon like many of the locations in Recoleta and elsewhere.

4. They do not have a street barker.

Map Link: http://www.cybermapa.com/default.asp?sec=res_dir&opcion=%5bACTION%3dOPCION%5d%5bPAIS%3d%5d%5bPROVINCIA%3dCAPITAL%20FEDERAL%5d%5bCIUDAD%3dCAPITAL%20FEDERAL%5d%5bLOCALIDAD%3dCIUDAD%20AUTONOMA%20BUENOS%20AIRES%5d%5bCALLE1%3dSANTA%20FE%2c%20AV%2e%5d%5bCALLE2%3dESMERALDA%5d%5bALTURA%3d%5d%5bPOSX%3d%2d58%2e378550%5d%5bPOSY%3d%2d34%2e595052%5d%5bZOOM%3d3%5d%5bUSUARIO%3d1000%5d%5bUSERIP%3d200%2e114%2e190%2e132%5d%5bLAYERS%3d%5d

EDITORS NOTE: This summary was developed with valuable input from Dickhead, Jackpot, Spassmusssein and others.

Jackpot
03-09-05, 23:30
A good site for a fast update to the currency world is www.dailypfennig.com
and its partner site everbank.com offers ways to beat the USA interest rates.

Jackpot

Incaboy
04-18-05, 18:36
When visiting a bank to exchange cash, be sure to bring your passport and not a photocopy. Banks require your passport. A photocopy of the page with your photo is good enough to use a credit card for shopping by not for changing money at banks.

Sportsman
04-18-05, 23:50
http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory gives exchange rate history also. I wish I knew about BsAs when the rate was 3.8 pesos to 1 USD in JUN 2002!!!!

Dickhead
06-06-05, 01:36
Also they do not make you show your passport which I appreciate. Santa Fe between Suipacha and Esmeralda on the south side of the street.

Daddy Rulz
06-06-05, 02:07
It's on Paraguay right before you get to Florida. Go into the Galaria and just inside to the right is a little fur store with one of the fattest guys in BsAs sitting behind a little desk. Friendly folks, never any trucho (sp) and great rates. It's an unofficial place so no ID needed. Don't exchange on Friday as the rates always go down a bit for the weekend, tuesday and wednesday are the best.

Daddy Rulz
06-06-05, 13:00
Official cambio's as opposed to black market ones are required to get ID. I think they have to pay some government squeeze, which is why the underground ones usually offer better rates. However some underground ones will try to pass fake bills.

Hunt the fucking IRS is everywhere.

ComeOnDown
06-06-05, 14:03
I do all my financial transactions with Forexcambio S.A., located just beside Marriott. Their services are not limited to foreign exchange transactions. They can also encash your checks (foreign and local) with a commission charge of 1%.

Last week, I needed to transfer some US$ from my US based bank account to Buenos Aires. Since I do not have any dollar account in Buenos Aires I almost resorted to using the services of Western Union, I decided otherwise because of their hefty charges. Forexcambio was able to do it for me charging the same 1% commission charge. The whole process only took a day.

Skip1
11-22-05, 04:20
I'm new here and will be flying to BA in early December for a month of travel in Argentina. Does anyone in the US have A pesos for sale?

Dickhead
11-22-05, 06:05
Skippy,

There is no reason to do that. Just bring an ATM card, or bring some US Dollars and change it at the bank (NOT the foreign exchange booth) on your right as you exit customs.

Skip1
11-30-05, 06:46
Hunt99 said:

"The best rate I recently found on pesos anywhere in BA was at the Banco Nacional de la Nacion, which is located right by the customs area in the airport. (Not the kiosk, a regular bank branch)"

Is this bank at the airport good for ATM $US as well as cash $US? Enquiring minds want to know.

Hunt99
11-30-05, 13:27
Hunt99 said:

"The best rate I recently found on pesos anywhere in BA was at the Banco Nacional de la Nacion, which is located right by the customs area in the airport. (Not the kiosk, a regular bank branch)"

Is this bank at the airport good for ATM $US as well as cash $US? Enquiring minds want to know.I think there is an ATM at the airport, in addition to the regular bank branch. I tend to deal in cash, and haven't withdrawn money from an ATM in a long while. But I do recall that the exchange rates from ATMs were also almost all at excellent rates. The only thing you have to be wary of are "ripoff" rates at small kiosks and exchange cambios (probably on the order of a 5-10% difference with the actual rate)

MCSE
11-30-05, 18:29
Here's a great source for checking out current exchange:

http://www.eye4u.com.ar/content/ba.php (this one for mongers since there is also nice things to see around)

http://www.dolarhoy.com (this one for serious business people and best rates)

Skip1
11-30-05, 20:15
Should I bring cash dollares in 100's only or are some smaller denominations convenitent for something?

Easy Go
11-30-05, 21:29
Should I bring cash dollares in 100's only or are some smaller denominations convenitent for something?New style 100's and a 20 for your exit fee.

Daddy Rulz
12-01-05, 05:11
Should I bring cash dollares in 100's only or are some smaller denominations convenitent for something?Easy go makes a good point, having a 20 to pay the exit fee is a good idea. Otherwise why bring cash? Use ATM's it's safer. If you have a big stash of Dollars you can get ripped off. One word of advice, use ATM's at a bank when the bank is open. Always get a recipt and check the money right away. I've pulled out money a few hundred times without a problem but the last one I did I got a fake 100 peso bill, didn't get a reciept and the bank did nothing for me.

Another tip, to help win the change war when your pulling money out select other amount, then if you want 600 get 590 and you will start with 90 pesos in smaller bills.

OslersVoice
12-01-05, 10:58
Easy go makes a good point, having a 20 to pay the exit fee is a good idea. Otherwise why bring cash? Use ATM's it's safer. If you have a big stash of Dollars you can get ripped off. One word of advice, use ATM's at a bank when the bank is open. Always get a recipt and check the mney right away. I've pulled out money a few hundred times without a problem but the last one I did I got a fake 100 peso bill, didn't get a reciept and the bank did nothing for me.

Another tip, to help win the change war when your pulling money out select other amount, then if you want 600 get 590 and you will start with 90 pesos in smaller bills.I would think you could get ripped off at any time. Why should carrying more money make you more likely to be a target (unless that person is stupid enough to be flashing it around)

I like the tip on getting 590 and a receipt. Thanks!

Daddy Rulz
12-01-05, 16:00
I would think you could get ripped off at any time. Why should carrying more money make you more likely to be a target (unless that person is stupid enough to be flashing it around)

I like the tip on getting 590 and a receipt. Thanks!Having more money doesn't make you a bigger target. Having more money means you lose more if you get robbed. Personally I think it's a better idea to keep cash not needed in the moment in the neatherworld of electronic banking. A prudent reserve in a hotel safe is not a bad idea but only if you are the only one with access.

OslersVoice
12-01-05, 16:26
Having more money doesn't make you a bigger target. Having more money means you lose more if you get robbed. Personally I think it's a better idea to keep cash not needed in the moment in the neatherworld of electronic banking. A prudent reserve in a hotel safe is not a bad idea but only if you are the only one with access.That was my point DR.

Easy Go
12-01-05, 17:27
When I get money from a Citibank ATM in BA, it gives me a mix of bill sizes even when I select a round number like $AR900. Other banks usually need the $AR890 trick.

ATMs are definitely the way to go but don't assume that you can use any ATM at any time of the day. I'd say that 20% of the time outside of normal business hours, I have a problem and can't get any money from a specific machine. I'm usually able to find one that works, but it's a PITA. Better to plan ahead.

Sportsman
12-02-05, 00:11
I have been using this ATM whenever possible. Two things I like about this ATM:

1. When I withdraw 500 pesos, I always get (except in one instance) four 100 pesos, one 50 pesos, and five 10 pesos bills.

2. I only have to swipe the card instead of inserting it into slot. This way if there is a problem, the machine does not "eat' my card. I had that problem once while overseas, the machine kept my card. Luckily I had another one for my trip.

Skip1
01-26-06, 18:02
They are at Sarimiento 356 near Reconquista, down the street from Paris Cambio.

I found them orderly an efficient. You take a number and get served pretty quickly. They always had the top rate and they run the peso bills thru a counting machine several times as you watch and put them under a blue light to detect trucho.

Mike411
03-10-06, 23:34
I ended up at Metropolis casa de cambio on Florida 506 on my last day, and due to time and desperation I ended up getting hosed exchanging to Euro from Peso at 3.72. I walked by other places quoting 3.66 and 3.58, but they were all out of Euro, or Dollar. Oh well.

I couldn't find that Russian guy.

Moore
03-11-06, 01:02
The best Euro sell rate is 3.66 per dolarhoy.com, so you couldnt have lost more than a few Euro assuming you were not buying several thousand of them.

Exon123
03-11-06, 13:18
Hears something to think about! And worth considering.

Every time I leave Buenos Aires I have a few unspent peso's.

Problem is no one wants them at any exchange house in the US Ariports. They simply don't touch Argentine peso's, Wonder Why? LOL.

But moreover I need dollars when I leave Not Peso's. I try and plan to have a hundred US dollars in my pocket for the trip back.

Hers a possible solution.

All us Mongers come to town with dollars and one of the first things a lot of us see is Ana Luna for our ride into town from the airport.

Quess What, Most of us pay her in Dollars cause we don't have peso's which she has to convert into dollars, of course she collects more dollars and tips with her side trips.

Try exchanging your extra peso's for her dollars on the way to the Airport, that way everyone wins.

Exon

Thomaso276
03-11-06, 13:54
Metropolis always has one of the worst rates. As well, they drop considerably in the afternoon and on weekends.

Rock Harders
03-12-06, 01:55
Mongers-

I do not understand why those coming to Buenos Aires bother bringing any more than a negligible amount of USD with them, when there are thousands of ATM's located everywhere that will give you the best, up to the minute exchange rate. For example, I have a Citibank account in the NYC area, I withdraw from any of the dozens of Citibanks located throughout Buenos Aires (and other major Argentine cities) I get the best exchange rate possible (and the citibank machine shows how many dollars are coming out of my account on the screen) and there are ZERO fees involved. This would also work with those holding HSBC account, as there are HSBC branches in Buenos Aires as well.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Jaimito Cartero
03-12-06, 02:20
If you're going to be hurting financially because you have 100 pesos in your wallet, you're in trouble. I always try to have enough for a taxi in my wallet for my next trip.

That way if I come in late, I'll always have enough to get to my apartment. Obviously if you're never coming back, then spend or exchange them.

Mpexy
03-12-06, 17:18
Mongers-

I do not understand why those coming to Buenos Aires bother bringing any more than a negligible amount of USD with them, when there are thousands of ATM's located everywhere that will give you the best, up to the minute exchange rate. For example, I have a Citibank account in the NYC area, I withdraw from any of the dozens of Citibanks located throughout Buenos Aires (and other major Argentine cities) I get the best exchange rate possible (and the citibank machine shows how many dollars are coming out of my account on the screen) and there are ZERO fees involved. This would also work with those holding HSBC account, as there are HSBC branches in Buenos Aires as well.

Suerte,

Dirk DigglerAnd if need be, perhaps for some reason you think or want to have dollars, you can simply withdraw in dollars rather than pesos from those same Citibank and HSBC atms. At least, the ones I've used in Recoleta and Galleria Pacifica.

Note - there is one reason at least that I prefer to have some dollars on me while in BA, and that's to make my security deposits on apartments. I prefer to pay rent in pesos, but have my security deposit made and returned in dollars.

Moore
03-12-06, 18:35
I have exchanged cash once that I can remember in several years in BA, and that was to make my USD rental deposit (sizeable). The USD/Peso bank spreads are so tight that you're only losing about a point on the exchange.

If you're leaving the country for a long time, Argentine pesos are not a currency to hold. So after paying your airport taxi/tax in pesos, you can just change the couple hundred pesos leftover at the airport. Even if the rate there was 10% below market, you're still only talking 6 or 7 USD loss.

But as a general travel rule - never change money (except leftovers of unwanted currencies when you leave). In most currencies you get dorked substantially both buying and selling. Theres just no reason to with ATMs and credit cards giving you market rates on local currency. Even in small, remote towns here, it seems that you're never far from an ATM. Besides being cheaper, its safer and easier than going on trip with a big wad of US100 dollar bills in your pocket, hotel room, etc. Like in USA, I never even bother looking for an ATM with my bank name here - the 1.50 otherbank ATM fee isnt a killer. It has amazed me in the US how many people will go out of their way, driving thru traffic, to save a 1.00 ATM charge.

I do, however, think its a good idea to keep about US$200 tucked away in a special compartment of your wallet at all times. It can be a real lifesaver in a pinch down here!

Dickhead
03-13-06, 14:28
ATM (Ass to Mouth) is not a chili dog. A chili dog is when you are butt fucking and when you pull out there is shit all over your dick.

I avoid ATM fees by using my fee-free ATM card from E-Trade. If you have a certain minimum amount invested with them, I think either 25k or 50k, they will reimburse you for an "unlimited amount" of ATM fees "within reason" and they themselves don't charge any ATM fees. So, I haven't paid an ATM fee down here, ever. Also they only charge a 1% conversion fee as opposed to Waterhouse which charges 3% (I have accounts with both)

The thing about propinas was sort of a joke. I tip 10% in restaurants and whatever is left on the cab meter (I do have to use cabs when I am pulling chicas from clubs) up to 50 centavos for a short ride or 1 peso for a long ride. By this I mean that if the fare is say 6,30 I tip 50 centavos and if it is 6,60 I tip 40 centavos. But if the fare is say 14,30 I tip 70 centavos and if it is 14,80 I'd probably tip one peso. In bars, if I just have one drink and the bartender pays me no never mind I don't tip. In my regular bars I tip 10%. In boliches I tip the bartender 5 pesos about every other visit and the doorman 2 pesos about every other time he gets me a cab. Unless it is raining; then I tip 5 pesos (always)

I don't tip chicas. With most of my regulars we aren't discussing price and I might give them 120 or 130 or 140 depending on what kind of change I have, how long they spent, whether I fed them, and so forth. Now that I am out in the suburbs I will also pay cab fare one way, which is 15-20 pesos.

Sometimes just for fun I will negotiate a chica down from say 130 to say 120 and then give her the 130 anyway.

If I get food delivered, which is rare, I tip 1 or 2 pesos depending on the bill, but somewhat less than 10%. They are all making at least minimum wage, unlike the US where waiters and waitresses make I think it is 60% of minimum wage. And they get the aguinaldo and all of that. No, they don't make very much money but the general wage structure of the country is not, to me, a reason to tip. Tipping is an obnoxious practice overall. In the US, I'd much rather see the servers get paid what the market will bear, by the restaurant, and raise prices accordingly.

My experience is that most working class Portenos tip less than 10% in restaurants. In fact I recently ate with such a couple and attempted to tip 10% and they told me that was too much and to leave somewhat less "because they have to come here all the time."

Moore
03-14-06, 01:12
Question for Dickhead-

Overcast day, taxi fare 8.36. Do you tip 64 centavos or 50 centavos? If the answer is 50c and neither you nor the driver has anything smaller than 5c coins, do you tip 49 centavos or 54 centavos? Or something else?

Assuming chicklets/candies are not valid currency/change, which are considered valid change by many Argentine cashiers.

Since were talking cents here, I'll ask about your "zero ATM fee" account, but that has a 1% conversion fee. I just looked at my last ATM withdrawl and I received 3.073 pesos/$, which is slightly better than the best rate offered on dolarhoy.com. I do pay a flat $1.50 ATM fee (which is less than 1% for my withdrawls), but apparently no conversion fee. I think I could avoid the 1.50 by going to certain machines but dont even bother, I just go to the nearest one. And this is just a standard US checking account with no minimum balance. So is that not even more "free" than your account?

Dickhead
03-14-06, 05:16
Oh, you're paying a conversion fee. Trust me. It just isn't transparent. Sounds like yours is 1% also since that 3.07 point whatever is what I got on my last withdrawals. Normally, and I've posted about this before, I get the wholesale conversion rate minus the 1% and it ends up being about not quite halfway between the bid rate and the ask rate at the cambios. If the cambios are offering 3.06 pesos for the dollar, and asking 3.10 pesos to buy a dollar, I'd be getting 3.075 or so.

Waterhouse boosted their fee from 1% to 3% without ever saying anything about it and that cost them most of my business. They had some shit buried in the fine print of the account agreement that they could do that but I still found it to be very sleazy.

So yes, you are getting fucked $1.50 at a time as compared to me. Nyah.

I always have plenty of small change from trolling pay phone booths and scouring gutters so I would probably give the driver 8,75 in that scenario. I would give him 9 pesos if he drove well and told some good jokes, and would give him 8,50 if he drove like shit, smelled like shit, flipped me shit, or had a dirty car.

To add further info: I checked my last four withdrawals. Two were on 13 March and two were on 10 March and the conversion rates were:

Plus Moore, aren't you paying $10 a year for your ATM card? I'm not.

Moore
03-15-06, 01:26
Dickhead,

I favor being thrifty and not wasting money, so long as I don't have to radically change my habits to do so. And I fully agree that an American should adjust his tips to local levels. But is it rational/healthy to worry about pennies? Lets say you're spending a few hundred US$/month each on items such as girls, restaurants, and bars. Does 6 dollars/month for ATM fees matter?

Yeah, I could save maybe US50/mo by avoiding taxis and fucking around on buses here but whats 50 dollars? I could also save that amount by reducing my whoare consumption by approx 1.372 sessions/month (9 months worth of ATM fees). But part of the fun is relaxing and not having to pinch every peso, right?

Jackson
04-02-06, 14:33
Greetings everyone,

Upon returning to BA from the USA, I noted a couple of what were to me new changes in the baggage pickup area.

First, there are now large signs hanging over each of the baggage conveyors, written in Spanish and English, advising anyone who took a second to read them, of the names and locations of three banks just outside the baggage area that would gladly buy your dollars at a freshly posted rate of 3.05.

Second, there are now two currency exchange booths positioned between the baggage conveyors, each posting an exchange rate on that day of 2.70. Incredibly, there were people lining up at these exchange booths to sell their dollars at this ridiculous rate.

I stood there, looking back and forth between the line of tourists at the exchange booth and the signs just 20 feet away in both directions, and just shook my head: You just can't save some people from their own stupidity.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
04-02-06, 16:10
There is apparently and not surprisingly a zone at EZE (at baggage claim or immediately after it) for sucker FX rates and taxis.

There is one born every minute, thats why such places exist.

I would offer an exchange rate of 1.00 per dollar and probably get some takers. Just read the Black thread and you'll see that people happily pay 1:1, on inflated prices. Why dork someone for 10% at 2.70 when you could dork them for 70% at 1.00? Actually 'Id give them counterfit pesos / patacones / lecops for a pure profit margin, theyd never know what hit them. But they would ask "do you think I overpaid..."

Jaimito Cartero
04-02-06, 17:34
I've warned against these rip off cambios before. It's amazing how stupid some of these people can be.

I don't know if they exchange Argentine Pesos, but when I see people lined up in the US airports to exchange dollars for a foreign currency, it's even worse. They get hit for 10-20%.

I recall one guy who got some Costa Rican colones last year, and said he "only" changed $200. He took a 15% hit, so lost $30 off the top. We all know that $30 can buy some fine entertainment in BA.

Jackson
04-12-06, 20:38
Greetings everyone,

There are a number of currency exchange locations scattered through Recoleta and the Microcenter. However, after utilizing many of them at one point or another, I've come to the conclusion that the "best" place to exchange currency is the 500 block of Sarmiento, near the intersection of San Martin, one block from Florida Ave.

In this 2 block stretch of Sarmiento there are perhaps 2 dozen banks and cambios, many with signs clearly displaying their current dollar exchange rates. In my own personal experience I have determined that these numerous venues located in such close proximity to each other offer the city's best rates, no doubt spurred on by their mutual competition.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
04-13-06, 00:21
I've determined that the best place to exchange US$/Pesos is anywhere that I have a cell phone signal. I call BancoRio and get instant attention, excellent rates, no fee, and the transaction between my US$/Peso accounts is complete/confirmed before I hang up 30 seconds later. Note to self - steer clear of casinos, options, and foreign currency "day trading/investing".

OK, I understand that most guys don't have bank accounts here. This area on Sarmiento in Microcentro is well known and, as written, there are tons of cambios there. There are also many shady "arboles" whispering fx rates on the street as you walk there. I've compared BancoRio rates that I get within the friendly confines of Recoleta and they are within .02 centavos of the BEST rates on dolarhoy.com. So if you are changing US$1,000 you MIGHT save US$5 by taking a taxi thru a shitload of downtown traffic to a relatively dicey area in Microcentro (after deducting the taxi fare you're saving maybe $1 and I'm assuming your time is free).

If you are changing cash, I believe that the best overall place is one of the major banks like BancoRio or BancoFrances which have branches probably within 2 short blocks of your apartment in beautiful, safe Recoleta. Last year I had to make a cash US$7,000 payment when signing an apartment lease. I thought about going downtown because I could have saved about US$30 on a transaction that size (before deducting travel, time, and risk cost). Transactions like this are extremely rare for me and I don't feel comfortable walking anywhere with that kind of cash on me, especially around Sarmiento 500. So I decided to change it at a BancoFrances branch 100 yards from apartment. Saving $25 net for that one large unusual transaction wasn't worth it in my opinion.

For any normal transaction, say under US$1,000, the difference is peanuts and compared to a 5 minute cakewalk to a Recoleta branch, it's quite a hassle.

And as mentioned, we all know that you get superb rates simply by withdrawling pesos with your ATM card, so most guys should never be changing cash anyway, except for leftover pesos upon departing Ezeiza.

Hunt99
04-13-06, 12:07
Just examining my Chase bank card statement, the fuckers charged me a 10 dollar foreign ATM fee for every goddamn transaction. Asshole vampires. Cocksucking bankers, even anally raping me every time I make a son of a bitching fifty peso withdrawal. Basta. Avoid Chase. Pissants.

El Perro
04-13-06, 13:50
Just examining my Chase bank card statement, the fuckers charged me a 10 dollar foreign ATM fee for every goddamn transaction. Asshole vampires. Cocksucking bankers, even anally raping me every time I make a son of a bitching fifty peso withdrawal. Basta. Avoid Chase. Pissants.Check out USAA Federal Savings Bank out of San Antonio. Very expat friendly. Zero nasty charges such as above. Their services are designed for military personnel, but regular folks can take advantage of their banking services. I draw from my checking account down here using the ATM system. Never a charge. Great customer service. I intially found out about them while following a BA expat blog. Some advise for those interested, you will need a USA mailing address to start an account.

Daddy Rulz
04-14-06, 17:14
I don't know whats up with that Dogg, but I bank at Chase and have only been charged the normal 1.50

Check out USAA Federal Savings Bank out of San Antonio. Very expat friendly. Zero nasty charges such as above. Their services are designed for military personnel, but regular folks can take advantage of their banking services. I draw from my checking account down here using the ATM system. Never a charge. Great customer service. I intially found out about them while following a BA expat blog. Some advise for those interested, you will need a USA mailing address to start an account.

Hunt99
04-14-06, 18:44
DaddyRulz, Doggboy:

Is it not crystal clear that Hunt99's post is not to be taken seriously?No, my post was dead serious. Sitting right there on my online statement: "Transaction Fee $10" And those $$$ ain't pesos. Fuck Chase and the horse they rode in on.

Moore
04-14-06, 18:46
All my Chase statements say 1.50 per ATM withdrawl. Who in the hell takes out 50 pesos anyway.

Hunt99
04-14-06, 18:49
Oh my goodness, I just realized that Hunt99 is Goblin. So all those arguments were simply Hunt99 talking to himself.:D.

PS All my Chase statements say 1.50 per ATM withdrawl.Hunt99 has been laid at least once during the reign of the current monarch. It's obvious that the same cannot be said for Goblin. ;)

I took out 50 pesos on my last day in Buenos Aires to cover my expenses on the way to the airport. If I took out more, what would I do with a wallet full of worthless sheets of wanna-be wallpaper also known as pesos?

Dickhead
04-14-06, 18:53
E Trade

If one uses E Trade, one can withdraw 50 pesos whenever one wants, or even 10 pesos. I could withdraw 10 pesos 49 times a day if I wanted to.

El Perro
04-14-06, 20:16
I don't know whats up with that Dogg, but I bank at Chase and have only been charged the normal 1.50That was Hunt99 getting screwed, not me, you Cordoba addled, mongering cousin of a dog! I ain't be getting charged nothing at USAA Federal.

Judd
05-31-06, 17:32
Most banks in BA (at least where I'm located on Las Heras and Pueyrredon) close at 3:00pm. I just finished lunch at 4:00pm, and was looking to exchange money. Only one bank was open. The dude told me they stopped exchanging money at 3:00pm. The rest of the banks I went to all closed at 3:00pm. BTW, exchange rate dollar to peso is 3.07.

There is a bank inside the EZE airport where you can exchange money for a good rate (3.06 last week.) I always thought you'd get ripped off with shitty exchange rates. Once you pass customs before your greeted by the cabbies looking for they're fare, go immediately to your right. The bank is located on the right next to a general kiosk. You should be able to see a couple of armed guards outside the bank. I should have exchanged more money. I thought the exchange rate might have spiked during my day long flight. Avoid the hassles, get it all done at this place.

Judd

Hunt99
05-31-06, 18:10
Judd may be referring to the Banco de la Nacion Argentina. There are exchange windows (the same bank branch faces in two directions) both outside in the terminal and also inside, next to customs (where you run your bags through a scanner if selected). AVOID the kiosks inside the baggage claim, which you will pass after clearing passport control but before you go through customs.

Hojo
05-31-06, 22:18
Is this bank at the airport (mentioned by Hunt99 and Judd) open Saturday mornings?

If not, what is my best bet on a Saturday for exchanging my cash, knowing I won't have any pesos when I get off the plane?

Pop till you drop,

Hojo

Dickhead
06-01-06, 01:01
IIRC it is open on Saturday mornings. 85% sure. If not best bet is ATM in the airport and withdraw 990 pesos.

Moore
06-01-06, 13:21
I had to exchange 6,000 Euros to Dollars on Monday. I went downtown to the Sarmiento 500 area and got the good market rate (1.27), but what a pain in the ass. Here are my notes.

Local banks in Recoleta like Banco Rio, Banco Frances, and Citibank will only exchange pesos. So to exchange Euros to Dollars, you have to change Euros to Pesos and then Pesos to Dollars and of course you get fucked royally. The effective exchange rate is about 1.23 since you sell Euros at about 3.85 and then buy Dollars at about 3.12. Exchange houses downtown will change from Euros to Dollars directly.

However, there is a 10,000 Peso (or equivalent) limit per exchange house transaction. Since 6000 Euros is worth about 23,000 Pesos, I had to go to three exchange houses to change it all. The paperwork was extensive at most of the houses. You must have your passport or DNI. I'm 99% sure the 10,000 peso limit does not apply to exchanges made at your own bank. When I transferred these funds into Argentina, I exchanged them into Euros in one transaction at my local Banco Rio.

Sarmiento 500 is not my favorite area of Buenos Aires. As usual, there was a street demonstration with drums, guys with masks and sticks, some minor fires. When I was in one exchange house, they blocked/locked the doors as the demonstrators passed. That gave me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling. And there I am walking around with a very thick bulge of cash in my front jeans pocket. Actually it wasn't so bad since there is usually a good police presence in the area, and due to the demonstration there were hundreds of them.

So I saved about 3% or US$250 on my 6,000 Euro exchange. The biggest hassle was having to go to multiple houses.

BTW, I had about 30something Pesos left over after clearing exit customs at Ezeiza on Tuesday. The Dollar buy rate was decent at the exchange kiosk near gate 1 - about 3.12 IIRC. So I got a 10 Dollar bill and still have a 2 Peso note left over as a souvenier - its good for entertainment "value".;)

Stoker Star
12-06-06, 16:21
Went to Cambio and a tout took me to a small store on Florida. Offered 3 peso more per $100. When I received the $ it looked very fake. Took my Franlkins and left.

Noticed at La Madiliene across from Excreda and small sign said exchange 312 for 100. Worked like a champ.

Best rates I saw all week.

King of Sluts
12-09-06, 15:45
Mongers,

This is Kos checking in Argentina. Just to introduce myself if some of you are not familiar with my style. I have vast knowledge of Mexico, Costa rica, Panama, Colombia and Venezuela and many Carribean islands. I am thinking of moving to Argentina for three months to monger and to experience the city. My question is, where is the best place to exchange dollars for pesos, I understand it is 3 to 1, which is great. But is the airport, casas de cambio, bancos, where is the best exchange rate. Every country is different and I have never been so far south as buenos aires. But I will be making my way down there.

Thanx.

KOS

Stowe
12-11-06, 01:13
Hey KOS.

The best place at the airport is the National bank-the only one. You can find it just outside customs. Ignore all the booths that offer money exchange, they are a rip off.

You can either do it while still inside the customs area or if there is a long line (rarely) you can exit the doors and circle around and behind the booths on the right to another entrance into the bank to exchange money.

Once in Buenos Aires, the best place I have found is on Santa Fe up by Plaza San Martin, I think between Maipu and Esmeralda or Esmeralda and Suipacha. It is on the opposite side of the street from the American Airlines office on the corner. It is on the right side as you are walking from 9 de Julio toward Suipacha-Esmeralda-Maipu.

Sorry but I do not recall the name.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the chicas.

Suerte.

Stowe

Aqualung
12-12-06, 13:45
A good place to exchange especially if it's other currency not Dollars is Forexcambio on Marcel T de Alvear. When you get to the end of Florida with the Marriot Plaza in front of you, take a right along MT Alvear and about half a block you'll find Forexcambio. They will also change your travellers. Once you have been there a few times they won't bother you with documents or papers and so on.

Thomaso276
12-12-06, 14:07
The official daily rate at: http://www.dolarhoy.com.ar/

Webcams
12-13-06, 01:36
Is it naive to ask to see what argentine currency looks like?

Looking at a currency site now, Just asking =) A peso is only a peso if it is a peso.

Oh and What are australs ?

Hound
12-13-06, 12:08
From experience I can say that Alhec Group consistently beats Forexcambio. This morning Forex is 3.03, Alhec is 3.04. Less than a 5 minute walk from Forex, Alhec is at 641 Paraguay just steps from Florida. Tel. 4316 5000

King of Sluts
12-13-06, 21:29
Mongers,

Thanx for the good info, this board seems to have good useful information, it figures, money always draws attention. Thanx again and keep the info alive on exactly where to find the best rate. Nobody likes to get less than there money is worth.

KOS

King of Sluts
12-15-06, 15:53
EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was deleted because the subject was not related to the purpose of this thread, which is "Exchanging Currency".

MCSE
12-15-06, 22:32
Oh and What are australs?The australes was the old currency, replaced by the pesos when Menem president converted 1 peso for 1 dollar. That happened after the hiperinflatuation crisis in the 80's. People used to carry millions of australes for buying a lunch.

Sigprn
05-19-07, 06:58
I had to exchange 6,000 Euros to Dollars on Monday. I went downtown to the Sarmiento 500 area and got the good market rate (1.27) but what a pain in the ass. Here are my notes.

Local banks in Recoleta like Banco Rio, Banco Frances, and Citibank will only exchange pesos. So to exchange Euros to Dollars, you have to change Euros to Pesos and then Pesos to Dollars and of course you get fucked royally. The effective exchange rate is about 1.23 since you sell Euros at about 3.85 and then buy Dollars at about 3.12. Exchange houses downtown will change from Euros to Dollars directly.

However, there is a 10,000 Peso (or equivalent) limit per exchange house transaction. Since 6000 Euros is worth about 23,000 Pesos, I had to go to three exchange houses to change it all. The paperwork was extensive at most of the houses. You must have your passport or DNI. I'm 99% sure the 10,000 peso limit does not apply to exchanges made at your own bank. When I transferred these funds into Argentina, I exchanged them into Euros in one transaction at my local Banco Rio.

Sarmiento 500 is not my favorite area of Buenos Aires. As usual, there was a street demonstration with drums, guys with masks and sticks, some minor fires. When I was in one exchange house, they blocked / locked the doors as the demonstrators passed. That gave me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling. And there I am walking around with a very thick bulge of cash in my front jeans pocket. Actually it wasn't so bad since there is usually a good police presence in the area, and due to the demonstration there were hundreds of them.

So I saved about 3% or US$250 on my 6,000 Euro exchange. The biggest hassle was having to go to multiple houses.

BTW, I had about 30something Pesos left over after clearing exit customs at Ezeiza on Tuesday. The Dollar buy rate was decent at the exchange kiosk near gate 1 - about 3.12 IIRC. So I got a 10 Dollar bill and still have a 2 Peso note left over as a souvenier - its good for entertainment "value".;)There is a Citibank in BA thats great. I bank with Citibank here in illinois. I will just have my bank do a bank to bank transfer to open a account at the Citibank for me. Transfer 1000 american dollars. They can't screw me on exchange rate then because I'm a Citibank customer. Does anyone know how far the Citibank is from las Canitas in Palermo

Rock Harders
05-19-07, 07:03
Bad News Signprn-

As Argentina is not a signatory party to the various international banking conventions (meaning they reserve the right to nationalize and / or seize deposits from time to time) Citibank Argentina and Citibank in all other countries are not associated. The only advantage to having a Citi USA account is the free ATM transactions in the Citi banking machines. Although they have the same parent company, operationally, they are completely disassociated.

Sorry,

Dirk Diggler

Facundo
05-19-07, 08:13
Let's assume you were successful in getting Citibank in the USA to help you open an account without a DNI (this presupposes you are very rich, your investment banker has made a direct phone call to one of the big shots of Citibank in Buenos Aires, and you can show you are trying to establish residency in Argentina) you would still have to wait six months before you can directly transfer dollars from the USA to your Citibank account in Argentina. The nearest Citibank from Las Caņitas is on the 1700 block of Avenida Cabildo in Belgrano, about a 5 minute cab ride.

Sigprn
05-23-07, 09:50
I didn't know it was like that. When I went to the Philippines Makati I stayed in a servied apartment, Fraser to be exact and the main Citibank was rite there. So my Citibank was able to just able to do a bank to bank transfer for me no problem. It worked out great. Because if I just needed money I would go there and get it no problem out of the temporary account set up.

TangoManiac
05-23-07, 11:53
SigPRN,

Welcome to Argentina. Most things that would make sense businesswise don't make sense in Argentina.

It's very difficult to get dollars here. So if you need dollars, bring them with you. Otherwise your ass better hop the ferry to Colonia. You can withdraw pesos from the ATM's at a very good rate though. But some transactions like renting apartments need Greenbacks

Artisttyp
05-23-07, 13:12
I brought dollars and they are treated like travelers checks. I went to Citibank to cash them and there is a minimum of $200 U$ otherwise they won't change them. You have to bring your passport (yes for cash) and then they diddle with the paperwork. Stand in line etc.

It would be a good idea to ask for small bills in case of funny money. Its not always possible.

TangoManiac
05-23-07, 14:34
A copy of your passport will do. I wouldn't be walking around with your original. Too much of a ***** to get it replaced if you get robbed or lose it. I once convinced the guy to use some fake numbers for the passport #.

Your best bet is to change money at the bank at Ezeiza (the real Banco Argentina, not the stand by the luggage rack. It's right by the door as you walk out after you get your bags) You can ask for small bills. I also recommend getting like 50 pesos in 1 peso coins. It will make your life so much easier. Plus you can ask for all the change you want and they always have someone who speaks decent english. Oh yeah and its open 24/7 unlike the regular banks.

Otherwise changing dollars is a hassle. Standing in line, finding a place wtih a decent rate, etc. ATM is the best bet. I've found I got better rates on ATM than on regular money conversions. Only pain in the ass now is finding one that lets you take out more than 550 pesos at a time. Last time could only take out 1000 max. Irritating, but if you can usually have your US bank refund their out-of-network ATM charges.

But for emergencies, Keep some greenbacks.

Jaimito Cartero
05-23-07, 14:46
I brought dollars and they are treated like travelers checks. I went to Citibank to cash them and there is a minimum of $200 U$ otherwise they won't change them. You have to bring your passport (yes for cash) and then they diddle with the paperwork. Stand in line etc.Anyone who has bothered to read the forum much, will know that you should change money at the airport when you arrive. Open 24 hours, great exchange rate, and you're in and out in only a few minutes. Getting smaller bills is always a good idea.

There are many restaurants and other businesses that will take the dollar at a good rate. I've seen 3.10 and 3.20 in the last days. I also see these good rates, when I don't have any dollars on me.

El Perro
05-23-07, 15:09
Changing dollars is not always a hassle. I'll try to find the address of the place I used to use in Palermo Verde / Botanico or whatever. Use to walk in without passport or copy, short line and get a good rate on dollars or euros. It's a small place near the corner of Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino, or possibly Segui. I haven't been over that way in a while.

Artisttyp
05-24-07, 01:39
Anyone who has bothered to read the forum much, will know that you should change money at the airport when you arrive. Open 24 hours, great exchange rate, and you're in and out in only a few minutes. Getting smaller bills is always a good idea.

There are many restaurants and other businesses that will take the dollar at a good rate. I've seen 3.10 and 3.20 in the last days. I also see these good rates, when I don't have any dollars on me.I did that when I arrived but I'm here for 25 days. I just do what I need to do at Citibank. Its right by my hotel.

Westsider
06-19-07, 02:51
I did not receive the good exchange stated below at the cambio outside of security near the exit door. Received 2.72p rate while downtown a 3.14p rate was available. Its possible the exchange is better at the exchange booth near the baggage belt, but I cannot confirm this.

Easy Go
06-19-07, 14:11
You have to go to the bank in the airport to get a good rate. When you come out of the area with the booths after customs, make a right buttonhook and you'll see it.

El Greco
06-19-07, 19:20
I did not receive the good exchange stated below at the cambio outside of security near the exit door. Received 2.72p rate while downtown a 3.14p rate was available. Its possible the exchange is better at the exchange booth near the baggage belt, but I cannot confirm this.Next time avoid the Cambio booth in the middle of the arrivals area and try the bank a few meters away. I think is a "Banco de la Nacion" branch. Much better rates there.

While in town, for good rates, try "Paris cambio" in the begining of Santa Fe avenue. Avoid it on saturdays. Not such good rates on saturdays.

No passport needed. There is always a short waiting time. Too many customers due to their good rates.

El Greco

Fretta
06-19-07, 20:42
No passport needed. There is always a short waiting time. Too many customers due to their good rates.

El GrecoI have to second El Greco. They have good rates and long lines if you go at the wrong time. Unlike him, however, I am asked for my passport about half the time. I think the more "foreign" I look, the more likely they are to ask for a passport.

StrayLight
06-19-07, 21:40
As soon as you pick up your bags from the customs x-ray machine, and before you go through any sliding doors, stop and look around. You should see a Banco de la Nation counter on the other side of the room.

I cannot say authoritatively that this counter provides the best rates in town. But I can say that I've always gotten the best rates there compared to the other places I've tried using. Last time I went through it was 3.07 or thereabouts; at the same time, Banco Galicia was only giving me something like 3.02 or 3.03 (and I have a preferred account there).

Seaman
08-18-07, 22:25
Recently I have been changing my money at a place which gives me 1c under the current bulk exchange rate. I have checked it a few times, and if DolarHoy told me that the US$ -> AR$ was 3.15, I got 3.14.

No need to bring ID / Passport etc.

The place is located in a mall at Florida street, 800 block.

The name of the place is "Gestoria New Exchange" (Or something like that.)

See the attached pics for more "visual" information. Walk into the mall, till you are at a small "square" (pic 2) look to the left and you will see the place in the corner. (pic 3)

Rock Harders
08-19-07, 06:38
Mongers-

El Alamo will exchange currency, anytime, 24/7, without any minimums / maximums or ID required, at the best possible rates, as good or better than any exchange house or bank. This deal is good on US Dollars, Euros, or UK Pounds Sterling. A great way to avoid waiting in lines, going to undesireable locations, paying ATM fees, and dealing with ATM maximums. Just walk in and ask for the owner or manager.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Orang05
10-05-07, 14:18
Here's an interesting and informative article on this subject. It's a jungle out there!

Old-fashioned cash (preferably in something other than US$) is becoming the way to go.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2003907603_pucci30.html

DosLuna
11-23-07, 09:32
Guys,

The exchange rates were all over the place at the airport today. Make sure you get the best rate there by going over to the Banco de Nacion as you exit the luggage area, they are to your right. The rate this morning was $3.12 AR for the US dollar.

El Greco
11-23-07, 21:16
Guys,

The exchange rates were all over the place at the airport today. Make sure you get the best rate there by going over to the Banco de Nacion as you exit the luggage area, they are to your right. The rate this morning was $3.12 AR for the US dollar.It was 3.13 to the dollar and 4.63 to euro at the Paris cambio today at lower Santa Fe ave.

Make sure you have a passport xerox with you. I forgot and had to go again.

El Greco

BioGekko
03-07-08, 14:56
I'm not sure why anyone bothers to exchange US$ at all. I've gotten between AR$3.0 and AR$3.1 all week directly from merchants around Recoleta and Puerto Modero; but maybe it's harder to spend US$ in other neighborhoods?

At 3.0 exchange that's around a 4% cost today, at 3.1 exchange it's less than a 1% exchange cost. And it's a one way cost, because you don't wind up with a bunch of unused pesos to turn back into US$ at the end.

Also, the idea that chicas should only be paid in AR$ is, in my opinion, silly. The ones I've met can multiply and divide by 3 as quickly as anyone else. This is a fluid two currency economy. JMHO.

Lysander
03-07-08, 18:40
I'm not sure why anyone bothers to exchange US$ at all. I've gotten between AR$3.0 and AR$3.1 all week directly from merchants around Recoleta and Puerto Modero; but maybe it's harder to spend US$ in other neighborhoods?

At 3.0 exchange that's around a 4% cost today, at 3.1 exchange it's less than a 1% exchange cost. And it's a one way cost, because you don't wind up with a bunch of unused pesos to turn back into US$ at the end.

Also, the idea that chicas should only be paid in AR$ is, in my opinion, silly. The ones I've met can multiply and divide by 3 as quickly as anyone else. This is a fluid two currency economy. JMHO.Well as you say in your post about Madahos, "I am obviously a well heeled American" and your experience there might tell you something about the downside of using dollars when you're negotiating with chicas, especially if you don't speak reasonable Spanish. Sure the girls can multiply by three, but that's not the point when you insist on using dollars. Its the message it conveys. What it say is. "look I've just arrived, I don't know my way around, I can't be bothered going to a local ATM and drawing out some pesos, because I won't be staying around for long, I'm loaded and don't mind paying top dollar for you tonight."

Don't worry about having a few pesos left when you leave. You can always use them on you next visit. That is. If you ever decide to come back again.

Jaimito Cartero
03-07-08, 18:47
4% is 4%. If you spend $3000 in a month, it's $120. That's 4 times at Maipu, 10 dinners at L'Alliance, etc.

And for changing money into US$, why do it? I come back often enough, and it will spend the same when I come back. I'll change a reasonable amount at the airport, and then hit ATM's when needed.

Last week, I withdrew a small amount, a bit over $100. Even with the $1 withdrawal fee, I got 3.122 rate. If I had maxed out the amount to $400 or so, I'd have gotten 3.135 or so.

Also, the idea that chicas should only be paid in AR$ is, in my opinion, silly. The ones I've met can multiply and divide by 3 as quickly as anyone else. This is a fluid two currency economy. JMHO.

Xion149
03-25-08, 10:57
I am aware its rather hard to obtain US currency here, unfortunately all I had got sucked into my rental deposit. I just need about $50 USD more.

Checked out 2 or 3 cambios on Florida and in that giant mall down there. Nobody seems to be selling USD, only buying. I'm off to check out the 500 block of Sarmiento now. Hopefully one of you fine gents can point me in the right direction should I return empty handed.

Edit: Mission accomplished.

Metropolis Casa de Cambio S.A.
Florida 490
5031-2931
AR 3.18 : USD 1

Member #2041
04-17-08, 14:58
FYI, among the major banks, Santander Rio and Citibank offer exchange in both directions for non-clients. Santander Rio's rates are better. Today, when the official exchange rate is 3.17, they are buying dollars for 3.14, and selling for 3.21. Citi was buying for 3.11 and selling for 3.24

Summerguy
07-15-08, 20:38
I'm a relative new visiter to BsAs. Could someone please tell me. Is changing a 500 Euro note a problem? And if not where is the best place to do it:

Gato Hunter
07-16-08, 14:57
I did it at the cambio near La Biela, I think its on Quintana. I cashed in two on my last trip. They did not bat an eye.

Seaman
07-16-08, 15:45
You can go and shop for a nice exchange rate at Corrientes between Florida and San Martin. You will find gold shops there with guys standing outside repeating the same word over and over again. "Cambio":)

Make sure you check the exchange rates before going there. Normally they will give you a few centavos above the bulk rate which is posted at www.dolarhoy.com .

Shop around and tell them you want to change 500 Euro. The more you want to change, the better exchange rate you get.

Recently I got 3.06 for a $ when the official rate was 3.02. I was changing $2500, so the difference was AR$100. Enough for some fun ;-)
They will not ask for a passport or any other form of ID, so that makes it also easier..

WhiteCat
07-20-08, 11:26
Anyone know if the cambio near La Biela is open on Sunday?

Short Rib
07-22-08, 23:43
White Cat,

If you need to change several thousand dollars, you should go to Banco Piano. It's on San Martin near Corrientes. Large sign. You won't miss it. They have the best rate and don't fuck around. When you change larger amounts, you get taken to the back room with the money counting machines. Good place.

Now, if you need larger amounts changed, send me a PM.

Short Rib

James Bond 007
09-05-08, 00:31
Anyone know what the hours are like for Banco National or one of the other banks at the airport? Are they open on the weekends and do they have late hours?

El Greco
09-05-08, 18:09
Don't worry about having a few pesos left when you leave. You can always use them on you next visit. That is. If you ever decide to come back again.You can also change them back into usd, euros, reais (and so on) in the airport at the bank kiosk in the check in area.

Albert Punter
10-02-08, 01:17
It has been said already some time ago and a few posts back, but it is always good to stress it.

After you have gone through the duty free area and enter the baggage claim area, DON'T rush to the exchange kiosk: there rates are between 15% and 20% less favourable than at Banco de la Nacion, located on right side as soon as you exit in the main arrival hall (after sliding doors). This is reason there are always some customers queueing at Banco.

Also, while you wait for your luggage, just read the yellow signs in the middle of the conveyor belts which update you about US$ and EUR exchange rates at Banco de la Nacion, so you can immediately comprare how exchange kiosk and other exchange offices after customs control (DON'T be tempted by them either) are a real RIP OFF.

At that Banco you can also change Reais in case you don't have wasted all of them with "garotas de programa" in Brazil.

Gipse
10-05-08, 07:09
Thanks to the information on this site I found the Banco de la Nacion on my first trip. When I see others exchanging money before customs, I feel like stopping them but I restrain myself.

This time when I exchanged the money I got more pesos than I was expecting. I thought maybe I gave the teller more money than I thought so I put the pesos in my pocket and walked out. Then I realized to check the exchange receipt. Behold the teller had used the wrong exchange rate. Of course I had to give the extra money back - who wants bad karma.

MCSE
10-07-08, 22:55
Good News today Oct. 7th: dollar closed 3,20 3,23 www.dolarsi.com

El Perro
10-08-08, 16:26
I headed down to Paris Cambio on Sarmiento around noon today to change some pesos to dollars. No dollars available at Paris. There were long lines at the many other Cambios in the area. Not throngs of people, but not too far from that. I am guessing that Paris ran out of dollars before the other places given their attractive rates. A sign of the times.

Jackson
10-08-08, 19:05
I headed down to Paris Cambio on Sarmiento around noon today to change some pesos to dollars. No dollars available at Paris. There were long lines at the many other Cambios in the area. Not throngs of people, but not too far from that. I am guessing that Paris ran out of dollars before the other places given their attractive rates. A sign of the times.Last week I went to my favorite exchange house to collect my monthly wire transfer. They advised me that the fee was now 2.5% , up from 1% , specifically because in the past week there was a big increase in demand for USD due to (get this) many Argentinos transferring their funds out of US banks. Apparently the commonly held theory is that many US banks were on the verge of failure and that their funds were in jeopardy of being lost in a bank failure.

A friend of mine went to the same exchange house a few days later for the same purpose as I, and was was on that day charged 6%!

It has been suggested to me that this is the reason why the USD has been strengthening lately, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
10-08-08, 21:46
Last week I went to my favorite exchange house to collect my monthly wire transfer. They advised me that the fee was now 2.5% , up from 1% , specifically because in the past week there was a big increase in demand for USD due to (get this) many Argentinos transferring their funds out of US banks. Apparently the commonly held theory is that many US banks were on the verge of failure and that their funds were in jeopardy of being lost in a bank failure.

A friend of mine went to the same exchange house a few days later for the same purpose as I, and was was on that day charged 6%!

It has been suggested to me that this is the reason why the USD has been strengthening lately, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Thanks,

JacksonMy guess is that alot of locals are swapping discretionary pesos for dollars. Currencies in South America are getting battered this week and I'm sure the locals are concerned that this battering may continue for some time. I would also guess that if there are alot of dollars coming back to BA from US banks, that that money is finding it's way to the friendly mattress.

Msch912
11-07-08, 13:10
The posts on not exchanging money at the airport before customs is very helpful. However, I forgot the part that said wait till after you pass the automatic glass doors. There's a bank at luggage retrieval, with a long line. But then when you clear customs there is another bank, as well as remi services. I was shocked to see a rate under 3 at the bank. Only then did I realize you're still in a kind of airport Purgatory and have to pass through the doors to reach the general terminal, with its friendlier bank.

El Greco
11-07-08, 20:00
The posts on not exchanging money at the airport before customs is very helpful. However, I forgot the part that said wait till after you pass the automatic glass doors. There's a bank at luggage retrieval, with a long line. But then when you clear customs there is another bank, as well as remi services. I was shocked to see a rate under 3 at the bank. Only then did I realize you're still in a kind of airport Purgatory and have to pass through the doors to reach the general terminal, with its friendlier bank.Once you exit the restricted area and you see all those Remis car drivers holding name signs TURN RIGHT 180 DEGREES and you will see a Banco de la Nacion. They have the best rates there same that you will find in the city.

Bartonsky
11-22-08, 18:05
Has anyone from the U. S. Tried to buy FX in their acct. I am planning a trip to South America in the new year. The USD has had a massive rally against almost all currencies but especially the Brazil Real and other S. A. Fx's. I think this is really short term. I want to buy some Reals now before I leave in Feb. So I don't miss this opportunity.

here is a chart. Number of Reals per $

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDBRL=X#symbol=USDBRL=X;range=1y

Thanks

Gato Hunter
11-24-08, 01:05
You can buy reals if you have a decent brokerage account that offers that service. Currency trading is like legalized craps! This being said I dabble in it with small amounts since my party poker was taken away!

Otherwise you can buy 10kusd worth of physical hard currency / financial instruments and import it. I am assuming your from the US, if not disregard the above.

The devaluation of the real has me thinking about rio vs BA for my next trip. I have never been, but I like thick asses and big boobs. Plus I want to check out the moonraker scenes at the redemer!

With oil at 50$ the tupi is not economically worth it. Someday it will be just not now.

Bartonsky
11-24-08, 01:29
Yeah I need to look into an acct that has that feature. Ideally I would want it in the same acct I take cash out in. I plan on going to Rio also. It would be frustrating if the dollar crumbles by the time I make this trip.

Has anyone heard if this visitors tax in Argentina going through? Man that would suck to drop over $100 before I even make eye contact with a girl;)

Art Vandalay
11-25-08, 10:18
What is generally the most you can change from dollars to pesos at the airport? I'm thinking I might need to exchange $2000 USD to pesos. Would the airport be the place to do this and if so would they really cash that much?

Rock Harders
11-25-08, 13:59
Mongers,

Anyone coming to Argentina with either USD or Euro cash is welcome to contact me as I am able to provide private exchange services with the absolute best rates, better than any ATM machine, FX house, or bank, all with no fees and no ID requirements, all in the safest, most convenient location in town. PM me for details.

Thanks,

Rock Harders

Argento
11-25-08, 14:13
What is generally the most you can change from dollars to pesos at the airport? I'm thinking I might need to exchange $2000 USD to pesos. Would the airport be the place to do this and if so would they really cash that much?No trouble with the quantity. They can easily handle U$2000. Unless you are going to spend it immediately, ie. 2 days; don't have that much in pesos. They are bulky and there is a mafia operating out of cambios and banks that will endeavor to intercept you and rob you at gun-point. So don't be obvious with your money and change it as you really need it. Not much difference in the rates and if you are downtown, there are exchanges every block or so. Very competitive.

Be careful and be discreet. Suerte.

Argento

Gipse
11-26-08, 08:14
I hate carrying my passport around everytime I need to exchange money. I try to exchange as much money as I need for my trip at one location in one go: at the airport, at a downtown bank, or at the American Express office. The safest place by far, away from the preying eyes of others, is the American Express office. I keep the money in a safe and take out little at a time as needed.

Tequila Tim
11-26-08, 10:20
Although I didn't change money this trip (went the ATM route) on prior trips I was able to change money with just a photocopy of my passport.

Bartonsky
11-26-08, 12:50
Why would it not always be best to just go to ATM's?

I hate carrying my passport around everytime I need to exchange money. I try to exchange as much money as I need for my trip at one location in one go: at the airport, at a downtown bank, or at the American Express office. The safest place by far, away from the preying eyes of others, is the American Express office. I keep the money in a safe and take out little at a time as needed.

Gipse
11-27-08, 14:25
Why would it not always be best to just go to ATM's?The ATM withdrawl limit hampers my BA lifestyle. I'll have to visit the ATM everyday and be more selective in my daily extra curricular activities. I visit for a short time, a week or two, so I don't like feeling restricted. Carrying the ATM card on me all the time is a burden for me. Pesos, copy of my passport, and the apartment key is all I have on me while in BA. Oh yeah! And a smile on my face.

Jackson
12-16-08, 18:01
Greetings everyone,

Today I went to a nearby HSBC bank to exchange some USD for pesos to pay some utility bills for my rental apartments. I've been doing this regularly for the past couple of years with no problem. However, this time they advised me that, by order of the Argentine Central Bank, they can now only change currency for persons holding a DNI.

As it happens, in the line next to me there was an American who was simultaneously being turned away after attempting to exchange his pesos for USD, so I caught his attention and we conducted our own exchange.

Has anyone else experienced this new money exchange limitation?

Is this for real, or is this just HSBC's Argentine way of telling me that they don't want to do any more money exchanges?

Is this related to all the other recent money exchange limitations such as Money Exchange houses no longer accepting and cashing wire transfers?

Thanks,

Jackson

Rock Harders
12-16-08, 19:42
Mongers,

First of all, these new money exchange limitations are for real, are not going away, and are designed to prevent a run on the currency. The big exchange houses on Sarmiento will exchange up $1000 USD with a foreign passport. Persons showing DNI's will be forced to prove the source of the funds. My personal strategy has been to go to 4-5 different exchange houses in the same day, with another person, all showing only my passport and saying nothing about holding residency documents. It is a big fucking hassle but it is what it is.

The second point here is why is any member of this board bothering going to exchange houses or banks to exchange their USD, Euros, Pound Sterling or other hard currencies? Anyone can send me a PM and they can set up a private, secure exchange appointment with me, night or day, no ID required, no questions asked, all at better rates than any exchange house, bank, or ATM.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Jackson
12-16-08, 20:59
The second point here is why is any member of this board bothering going to exchange houses or banks to exchange their USD, Euros, Pound Sterling or other hard currencies? Anyone can send me a PM and they can set up a private, secure exchange appointment with me, night or day, no ID required, no questions asked, all at better rates than any exchange house, bank, or ATM.

Suerte,

Rock HardersHey Rock,

I knew that, but on this particular day I needed to get this done in the morning, and I was pretty sure that it would be a bit early for you. Hell, it was a bit early for me too.

Next time, for sure.

As an aside, I can't figure out how preventing people from buying pesos prevents a run on the peso. Wouldn't people buying the peso serve to strengthen it?

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
12-16-08, 21:16
As an aside, I can't figure out how preventing people from buying pesos prevents a run on the peso. Wouldn't people buying the peso serve to strengthen it?

Thanks,

JacksonThere must be something else going on there. Maybe HSBC is just using the government as an excuse and are looking to decrease their currency swapping. I don't think alot of banks are crazy about exchanging one currency for another anyway, and certainly not all of them do it. It can be a pain in the ass, even in good times.

WorldTravel69
04-22-09, 15:32
I forgot to mention when I was there earlier this month, about a robbery.

I met a couple walking down the street. They had a map in their hands and I asked if they needed help and they said no.

I said to be careful, being Saturday, that the Motorbike Thiefs are running around more on the weekends, because there is only a little traffic on the streets.

They said they just got robbed on San Martin. They were hit with the Mustard Trick.

The pickpockets had gotten the man's wallet out of his pocket and took US$600. From it and replaced it in his pocket. They left the credit cards.

I forgot to asked exactly where, but most likely it was between M. T. Alvear and Paraguay.

I remember that same exchange place has had a lot of problems. There are thiefs watching that place.

Artisttyp
06-05-09, 20:19
Do I need to be vigilant about fake bills when exchanging currency here? I will need to do at least one exchange here. Also god forbid one of my bills has a nick or scratch. Do they scrutinize over the bills' appearance?

Thank You.

Artisttyp

TejanoLibre
06-05-09, 21:56
Do I need to be vigilant about fake bills when exchanging currency here? I will need to do at least one exchange here. Also god forbid one of my bills has a nick or scratch. Do they scrutinize over the bills' appearance?

Thank You.

ArtisttypI found a tiny, hidden spot on Lavalle near Florida.

They will pay very near the going rate.

A lot more than the Casas de Cambio where the guys with the annoying voices are squawking!

Seaman and I went there the other day and pulled maybe $3,620.00 when the Cambio houses would have paid maybe $3,250.00?

It was a few months ago.

Very fair and as safe as anywhere else!

I would expect you to get $3.75?

We tried to walk on their low ball offer and they gave in!

The guy told me that I Lost my commission and I said that I did not want one!

Call me!

R

PS - They will NOT accept torn , faded , written-on , cum stained bills !

NOBODY will !

Xyconyx
06-07-09, 07:33
I was pissed when I got back to Bsas a few weeks ago.

I had been staying in Rosario and there the exchange was 3.72

So when I saw those bastards at the tourist places offer 3.65 I was pissed, damn you big corporate bloodsuckers.

So anyway, I was looking for a flight back home after two years here I've had enough for now, but will return, anyway the travel agency happened to be on the 800 block of Santa Fe.

Lo and behold I came across an exchange house there, it was called the Paris exchange or soemthing like that.

Anyway, they were paying out 3.73

I forget the exact address or name, but it had one of those red digital little signs, and has the exchange rates on a white board with those little black letters.

The place doubles as a travel agency apparently, it has the business hours on the door, I think it was from 9am-6pm to sell currency. 9am-4pm to buy if I remember correctly.

It's a little bit of a walk away from the north end of florida / plaza General San Martin. But for more money, it's worth it, if you're lazy or tired from walking around, the C line subte Estacion Plaza Gral. San Martin, leaves you a block from it.

Santa Fe 800 block (middle of the block)

Hope this helps.

Xyc

Sportsman
06-07-09, 12:31
I have been using Paris Cambio in the last three years because I found they have the best rate and only two blocks from my apartment. The exact address is Sante Fe 840 between Suipacha and Esmeralda. Their website: http://www.pariscambio.com.ar/

Apparently they have another office on Sarmiento 399. There is a picture of their front door showing the exchange rate sign XYC has mentioned.

One thing though, usually they ask for passport / document to excahnge money. There have been a few times when I went there on Saturdays they did not ask for it. They can get busy at times, just take a number and wait. At times there have been may be 12-15 people ahead of me and the wait have be up to half an hour for my turn.

Meforu 2000
06-07-09, 19:35
I use the cambio place on florida st just across the street from the subte be line, they give me the best rate, allways a few cents more then the rest. Plus its easy and no id required you go in they ask how much your going to change they use a calculator they show you what it would be you take it or you can leave it. It takes just a few minutes no pain. I have been useing them for sevral years and no problems. Once they paid me by mistake the exchange for euros, but I had dollars bot a real good deal hahaha left out like a bandit.

Meforu

Butcher
06-09-09, 04:30
Lucky bastard!

Every time a cashier mistaken something has been on their own side.

Good for You!

I use the cambio place on florida st just across the street from the subte be line, they give me the best rate, allways a few cents more then the rest. Plus its easy and no id required you go in they ask how much your going to change they use a calculator they show you what it would be you take it or you can leave it. It takes just a few minutes no pain. I have been useing them for sevral years and no problems. Once they paid me by mistake the exchange for euros, but I had dollars bot a real good deal hahaha left out like a bandit.

Meforu

Md2000
06-13-09, 14:39
Should I have some money exchanged from here before I arrive at BA?

I don't want to go to get a cab and not have pesos to pay the driver.

What do you all usually do?

Member #4112
06-13-09, 15:01
No, don't exchange money prior to arrival. After you clear immigration, collect your bags and pass through the bag check look to your right and there is a bank just before you exit the secured customs area. They have some of the best exchange rates, much better than the little kiosks you pass going to collect your luggage. If you miss it on your way out they have a entrance on the other side of the secured area.

Toymann
06-13-09, 15:11
I always exchange my money at the airport. Please be very careful and DO NOT use any of the money exchanges until you have completely left security. The exchange counters just before you leave the security area are a total rip off. Once you leave the security area, you will know as you go through the doors into a large open area filled with people waiting to pick up arriving travellors, MAKE AN IMMEDIATE RIGHT and walk around the corner. Just ahead of you tucked in the corner (about 10 meters) is the bank I use to exchange my currency (sorry, can't remember the name) You really can't miss it. I prefer this bank for three reasons.

First, without fail I have found that their rate is either the same or better than any of the exchange options in BA, wether they be banks, exchange offices on florida, ect. Secondly, I have never had any issue with counterfiet bills using this bank. Finally, this bank at the airport has no problem exchanging larger amounts of $$$ without hesitation (the most I have ever exchanged is just over 9k US) The last time I was in recoletta I needed to exchange about 3k US and the damn bank I went to had a limit of 1k US per transaction per day. On my last trip, there had been a long line-up at the airport bank and I was in a hurry to get to town (pussy related of-course) and I hadn't used my normal airport option. I needed to make 3 separate trips to the banks in recoletta to exchange my 3k, and it was just a hassle that I could have avoided. Regardless of the line up, I plan to go back to my old favourite exchange option at the airport when I return later this year. Hope this helps. Happy Mongering All. Toymann

Kevins
06-13-09, 18:10
You are talking about the Banco de La Nacion on the left as you come out of customs in the main building and yes you are right it is the best and really only place to change upon arrival but be aware they will be closed if it is a bank holiday.

Member #4112
06-13-09, 20:47
Toyman, Kevins, if you look to your right as you clear customs Banco de La Nacion has a window on that side just before you leave customs. They usually only have one window open and it never has a line unlike the entrance outside customs. You are both right about the little exchange kiosks inside, a total rip off.

BA Luvr
06-14-09, 01:21
If you don't need large amounts of cash (and I don't like carrying lots of cash) are the ATMs in town. With a little research beforehand, you can find a bank that doesn't charge more than 1% for foreign exchange transactions. But they do have daily limits and some folks have reported issues getting amounts they want. I've had very few problems getting up to U$D300 equivalent (once, my usual ATM in Village Recoleta was out of money until the next day)

TejanoLibre
06-14-09, 01:35
If you don't need large amounts of cash (and I don't like carrying lots of cash) are the ATMs in town. With a little research beforehand, you can find a bank that doesn't charge more than 1% for foreign exchange transactions. But they do have daily limits and some folks have reported issues getting amounts they want. I've had very few problems getting up to U$D300 equivalent (once, my usual ATM in Village Recoleta was out of money until the next day)It ALL depends on the bank in BA and your bank in the USA.

Some will fuck you with surcharges and some will blow them off.

HSBC is NOT the same as the huge outfit out of Hong Kong!

The worst that I have seen is Banco Galicia with a $10.00 DOLLAR transaction fee!

So I've heard!

Just to pull out a few bucks!

I always use LINK but I'm still getting fucked without being kissed!

My advice is for ALL of you to transfer your funds to my Chase Manhatten account in the USA and I will give it back to you here in BA.

Chase Investments. No surcharges. No A. T. M's either!

I was fucked one day without a fucking dime to make an emergency call to the USA!

There are no Chase Banks down here!

Send me your cash and I will pull out the pesos from my matress and I will exchange them at $ 2.80 to $ 1.00.

Whenever your ready!

TL

WorldTravel69
06-14-09, 21:48
Never change money at any airport! You will always get ripped off!

Use the ATMs at the airport. There were three different banks ATM machines.

Toymann
06-15-09, 00:27
Hey WT69,

Hate to diss ya on the board but you're dead wrong on this point regarding the bank at EZE. I usually convert 5 to 9 k everytime I come to BA. I have tried all the different currency exchange vehicles in the past 6 years of coming to argentina. In fact, the worst deals, in my experience, are related to bank card usuage in argentina. It wasn't that way many years ago but today its just crazy to use bank machines in Argentina if you really are interested in getting the best rates. If you want the best exchange rates bring cash and exchange at the bank at the airport. Times are a changing and sadly, bank cards are just a total rip-off if you're concerned with getting the best rate. In fact, years ago both my AMEX and MC were good vehicles for purchasing items abroad. Today, MC charges a fee (percentage) for out of USA purchases (EVEN CANADA) and AMEX just screws you on the exchange rate to get their piece of the action. Suggest ya update your research buddy. Times are a changing.

Happy Mongering All.,

Toymann.

PS. No disrespect WT69 intended. Your comment in most countries is probably spot on! The bank at EZE is just a strange exception to the rule. Check it out the next time you come through, you'll find the rate is market and they have no trouble handling larger transactions.

El Greco
06-15-09, 14:46
Never change money at any airport! You will always get ripped off!

Use the ATMs at the airport. There were three different banks ATM machines.I'm afraid this is not the case for B'sA's only.

When machines were giving away 1.500p / transaction was ok. Now that they only give 300p is a rip off whether it is airport or not. My bank charges me flat rate of 4euros / transaction plus any given hidden percentage in the exchange rate. Not worth it for only 300p.

I take cash with me for B'sA's expenses now and I change a lot at the airport bank. Not the cambio at the luggage area but the bank, I think it is Bank de Nation. It is located just outside the luggage / customs area on the right 180 degrees. They have good best rates there equivalent to city center ones.

I also found that the Paris cambio on the lower Santa Fe ave is having good rates. Better ones someone could get at a cambio on the side street of the Marriott hotel, let's say the extension of Santa Fe past Frorida st on the right.

WorldTravel69
06-15-09, 15:35
What is the service charge for changing money?

I guess I am lucky, because my bank does not charge me an ATM fee.

El Greco
06-16-09, 19:29
What is the service charge for changing money?

I guess I am lucky, because my bank does not charge me an ATM fee.There is not any service charge.

Thomaso276
06-17-09, 11:54
Look closely because some banks do not charge an ATM fee but when you pull pesos, they charge 1% - 3% for a foreign conversion fee.

Artisttyp
06-17-09, 23:38
I went to Paris Cambio today located on Santa Fe between Suipacha and Esmeralda. I was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes. They gave me 3.76 to the dollar. I did have my passport on me.

I can't find the previous post that recommends it but thank you to the forum member who posted.

Thats what brotherly love is all about.

Member #3320
10-05-09, 19:22
Paris Cambio ( located at 840, Santa Fe) is a good place to change currency.

Got a rate of 3.82 today as advertised by their website. No surprises, really.

I am not sure if Banco de Nacion offers a better rate than Paris Cambio.

The guy scrutinized my passport and documents more closely than the immigration officer. Kind of made me uncomfortable.

Looked at all the dollar notes a 100 times before finally doing the exchange. All the notes were brand new, unmarked, BTW.

No long waiting. Just walked in and was on it straightaway (at 1715 hrs)

As soon, as I came out, took a cab back home. Not a good idea to start walking with a wad of cash in your pockets.

Saw a couple of suspicious looking chaps hanging very close by. So be a little aware of your surroundings when you exit with a wad of cash.

Thank you to Artysip and Sportsman for the information on this wonderful exchange place.

Suerte.

P.s : One local friend told me that the going rate is 3.89 pesos but I asked where can I get such a rate, she had no answer!

Slipknot
10-06-09, 21:50
I have a friend who needs to exchange some Pounds Sterling (not Euros) and has not had any luck at two exchange houses. Any suggestion on where to go to exchange under.

Many thanks.

SteveC
10-06-09, 23:49
Its a subte ride away from centro but if you're in the area there's a good place (normal rates, no passport needed) in Belgrano. Outside Juramento subte, on c / Juramento opposite Ateneo bookstore. Pounds, euros, dollars, and more.

SteveC
10-10-09, 16:23
Saw this place this morning. Almost at the corner of Santa Fe and Pueyrredon near the subte. Changes everything, pounds included. Passport needed.

SteveC
10-10-09, 18:09
Sydney,

Thanks for the warning. I was walking past just before 10.00 am as they were opening up and only checked if passports were needed.

Exon123
10-10-09, 19:13
Thats where the Chicks from out of town go to cash in their dollars.

Just up the street about a block & a half is a resident apartment hotel. Its completely full of girls from Paraguay and Brazil and most of them work in Recoleta clubs.

The tourist gringo's will sometimes pay them in dollars and thats the spot they exchange them for peso's.

Exon

Miami Bob
10-11-09, 01:01
They accept photocopy of passport and will match bank rates. No english really spoken. I can change money off hours at the bank rates. They will negociate the rates if you are changing a few hundred dollars. To change 50 us dollars, they are not really interested.

Rev BS
12-29-09, 13:42
I had this happen in Las Canitas early this year and in Bangkok in the summer. When the cashier is ready to give you your money, instead of verbally counting and showing the bills to you, they will just flop them under the window, whilst verbally emphasized the total figure of the transaction. If you are in any way distracted, you will be annoyed to find 1 bill missing later on. The second occasion, I caught it, and was paid but not much you can do about it.

Seaman
12-29-09, 14:34
If you are in the situation that you need to change dollars to pesos, and the usual places are closed (which is most likely the case after 6PM) then you can go to Disco or Carrefour supermarkets and just pay your 10 pesos grocery with US$100. Disco gives ~5 cents under the published rate, Carrefour about 10cents. So that comes down to a whopping 5 pesos / 10 pesos for every US$100 changed. So in case you need pesos, and the exchange places are closed, that is the way to go!

Donald
03-22-10, 15:04
Does anyone know what time the bank at the airport opens?

Seaman
03-22-10, 15:40
The only place you want to use there is Banco de la Nacion which gives you the official exchange rate. I guess they open at normal business hours, so around 8-9AM? I might be wrong though.

Stay well clear of all the other exchange places! Recently I was at the airport and checked the exchange rate at the other places. The official rate was 3.85 to a dollar, they were offering 3.33 to a dollar! And people were still queuing up to use their service. (The only thing they had to do was looking to the left and walk another 50 ft. BdlN was advertising the rate on a display!

Toymann
03-22-10, 15:56
I usually arrive on the early American Airlines flight and have always found the Bank Seaman refers to as open. This flight arrives around 8 or 7am based on the time of year. Seaman is quite correct about the "other" exchange locations at the airport (total rip off joints)

Happy Mongering All. Toymann

Donald
03-22-10, 17:46
Well aware but thanks for mentioning not to use the exchanges, I was refering to the Bank. American flight from Miami gets in at 6:20am, it's been two years but I'm thinking I had to wait a little bit for them to open, I just don't want to sit around the airport for another hour. Maybe I should just hit a bank in town, do you know a good place closer to Uruguay and Cordoba or Santa Fe than Paris Cambio?

El Perro
03-22-10, 18:00
Well aware but thanks for mentioning not to use the exchanges, I was refering to the Bank. American flight from Miami gets in at 6:20am, it's been two years but I'm thinking I had to wait a little bit for them to open, I just don't want to sit around the airport for another hour. Maybe I should just hit a bank in town, do you know a good place closer to Uruguay and Cordoba or Santa Fe than Paris Cambio?Hitch a ride on the 152 down Santa Fe and you are at the Paris Cambio in no time. Take it back from whence you came on Marcelo T. De Alvear.

Rock Harders
03-22-10, 19:22
Mongers,

The Banco de La Nacion branch at Ezeiza International Airport is open 24 hours per day, every day.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Donald
03-22-10, 19:55
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the info.

One week till Monger Heaven!

Marlboro Red
05-16-10, 19:29
Hi,

I need to bit of USD to pay for the apartment, can I change euros to USD at the airport or bank?

Regards,

Gato Hunter
05-17-10, 11:16
If you change them in BA they may try to first convert the EUR to ARS, then the ARS to USD. You get a haircut twice in other words.

If you must have USD for your apartment I would do that exchange in Europe.

WorldTravel69
05-17-10, 13:29
Who are you renting from? If you are renting from bytargentina you can pay in pesos. Unless they changed their policies.

Hi,

I need to bit of USD to pay for the apartment, can I change euros to USD at the airport or bank?

Regards,

Silver Star
05-17-10, 17:49
The only place you want to use there is Banco de la Nacion which gives you the official exchange rate. I guess they open at normal business hours, so around 8-9AM? I might be wrong though.

Stay well clear of all the other exchange places! Recently I was at the airport and checked the exchange rate at the other places. The official rate was 3.85 to a dollar, they were offering 3.33 to a dollar! And people were still queuing up to use their service. (The only thing they had to do was looking to the left and walk another 50 ft. BdlN was advertising the rate on a display!I do airport pickups professionally here, and Banco de la Nacion has the best rates and is always open. If you come in Terminal B at an odd hour and if the branch is closed there, the one in Terminal A will be open. Avoid Global Exchange like the plague, much lower exchange. A good option if you are short on time and if the line is long at Banco De La Nacion, try Banco Piano, very reasonable exchanges, but not the best. Go upstairs in terminal A in the morning for the shortest lines. Also, if the HSBC ATM has a long line near Farmacity, there are other ATM's in the departure area downstairs with no lines. Generally the best exchange in town is at Paris Cambio, but expect to wait 15 minutes or so, depending. If you are coming from outside the US, it is generally best to buy USD in your home country, then get Pesos with your USD here.

Thanks,

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Rioman
05-19-10, 18:58
I thought the thread was about exchanging currency, but reading Exon and Jackson jabs is almost more entertaining. However, for any repeat offenders (I mean visitors) to BA, the best place to exchange $'s for pesos is right near your departure gate at EZE. There actually is a booth there that provides a rip-off service for stupid people that are trying to clean their pockets out of usually loose change (although a couple wks back saw one guy exchange over 7000p for US$. The real gravy is that a good chunk of the small bills that people exhange are the fake ones that Argentina is so famous for. The legitimate exchange place quickly points this out to the stupid customers and if you close by (you usually standing by the gate doing nothing - unless you Exon and you may be masterbating anyways) and come up with an offer (50% value seems perfectly fair for counterfeit as have found it works as good for mongering as the real stuff) you usually can get their other business at the rip-off rate as well. Am not advocating too long of a postn in the peso for sure, but it provides a bit of airport entertainment and maybe your first few sessions usually.

PS - am sure you do not want to get caught doing this so you do need to be a little discreet in how you funnel business away from the rip off concession, but have never had a prblm.

Jackson
05-19-10, 19:32
Greetings Everyone,.

I moved the last several pages of discussion regarding "US Dollar Inflation" to another thread in this forum titled "US Dollar Inflation".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6299

This "Thread Splitting" process is not perfect, and it's possible that I may have inadvertently moved / did not move a few reports. If you find that your own report was also moved / not moved, please don't take it personally.

Thanks,.

Jackson

Guacamole
05-24-10, 01:23
Hello All.

Will be staying near the Florida Street and the Marriot Hotel.

Where do you recommend me to exchange my USD? Whats the closest place?

Thank you

Sportsman
05-24-10, 14:41
Hello All.

Will be staying near the Florida Street and the Marriot Hotel.

Where do you recommend me to exchange my USD? Whats the closest place?

Thank youParis Cambio,

http://www.pariscambio.com.ar/

Only two blocks away on Sante Fe. You'll need to bring your passport with you. Be prepared to wait. Certain days the wait can be 30 minutes or more, certain days no one inline at all.

Guacamole
05-25-10, 02:53
Paris Cambio,

Only two blocks away on Sante Fe. You'll need to bring your passport with you. Be prepared to wait. Certain days the wait can be 30 minutes or more, certain days no one inline at all.THANK YOU sportsman. Do you know what cell phone company works the best as a pre paid phone?

Ken Brown
05-26-10, 16:15
Just to get a bit more clarity, what is the spread in exchanging USD for ARS (Peso) I mean if the official rate is 3.90 ARS = 1 USD (for example) what rate do I expect to get at the Bank Nacional? 3.50, 3.60?

By spread I mean the percentage difference between the official / traded rates.

Best,

Ken

Gato Hunter
05-26-10, 17:02
If you exchange currency at EZE while waiting for your bags you will get ripped off.

You should get 3.90, maybe 3.88 at the worst case at the bank at EZE.

Toymann
05-26-10, 17:22
As has been mentioned numerous times on this thread before, use the bank that is at the airport just outside of security, around corner to the right as you exit. Enough said as it has been mentioned many many times before.

Happy Mongering All. Toymann

PS: Go get em' Gato Hunter

Sportsman
05-26-10, 20:24
Just to get a bit more clarity, what is the spread in exchanging USD for ARS (Peso) I mean if the official rate is 3.90 ARS = 1 USD (for example) what rate do I expect to get at the Bank Nacional? 3.50, 3.60?

By spread I mean the percentage difference between the official / traded rates.

Best,

KenParis Cambio website shows their buying and selling exchange rate.

Currently is actually $0.01 better than the interstate exchange rate shown on Onada: http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
and same rate as xe.com http://www.xe.com/

Ken Brown
05-26-10, 21:18
Sportsman,

I am aware of these rates. These are interbank rates, and not those that are offered for retail purchase / sale. Genarally the spread between buy / sell is much wider than the interbank rates. For instance, the current buy / sell rate on pariscambio is 3.90/3.93. This is the interbank rate. If I were to try buying today as a retail buyer, I would probably get -4/5% over theinterbank rate.

So today, I could purchase ARS (pesos) @ 3.744 (@ 4%) or 3.705 (@ 5%)

Just wanted to know from an actual user to cross check fact vs general practises.

In any case thanks for the info on the websites. Let me know, if you have converted USD / ARS reently and let me have the date and rates, so I can figure out the discount.

Best, Ken.

Paris Cambio website shows their buying and selling exchange rate.

Currently is actually $0.01 better than the interstate exchange rate shown on Onada: http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/
and same rate as xe.com http://www.xe.com/

Rock Harders
05-26-10, 21:30
Mongers, Ken Brown, et al-

When you see the rate 3.90/3.93 outside the Paris Cambio, any bank, or any other exchange house, what you see if what you get. If you are buying pesos you will get 3.90 pesos / 1 US Dollar. If you are selling pesos to buy dollars you pay 3.93 pesos / 1 US Dollar. The reason the spreads are so tight on buying / selling dollars in Buenos Aires is because it is such a high volume wholesale operation.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Ken Brown
05-26-10, 21:48
Merci Beaucoup Rockharders. This is nice.

Jackson
05-26-10, 22:43
Guys,

These are right on the forum's home page:

http://www.dolaraldia.com/
http://www.dolarpeso.com/

Dolarhoy is my favorite because it gives you a list of the local currency exchange places with their rates, updated several time every day.

http://www.dolarhoy.com

Then select the link labeled "VER COTIZACIONES" and then scroll down the webpage to review the list and updated exchange rates. The best exchange rates for both buying and selling each specific currency are highlighted in purple.

And yes, as stated by Rock, these are the actual exchange rates being offered by those exchange houses, in Buenos Aires, at that time.

Thanks,

Jackson

Gato Hunter
05-27-10, 17:41
It was 3.89 this morning at the banco del la nacion at EZE.

3.56 at the ripoff place while waiting for luggage.

Silver Star
05-27-10, 23:09
It was 3.89 this morning at the banco del la nacion at EZE.

3.56 at the ripoff place while waiting for luggage.Wow! That's pretty high for the rip off place (Global Exchange) I usually see them around 3.35 or so lately. (I'm at EZE all the time)

Remember for those who want to take advantage of my premium car service, we do exchange USD, etc at bank rates as a courtesy to our valued customers. Just let us know beforehand how much you will need to get your trip started. Our goal is to save you valuable time, it's much better to enjoy your self than to be waiting in a possibly long line at the bank, or having to wait for a tiny, uncomfortable cab that might have an overly aggressive taligating driver who can't speak English.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Affordable Luxury

Seismo
05-30-10, 02:31
NO passport required, no ID, no questions asked, never a line, and the best exchange rate! I got 3.91 last week.

Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.

The sign on the door says: "INFO"

It is a small one room office with two teller windows.

This cambio is next to a large bank.

Gato Hunter
06-06-10, 18:50
My bank put a fraud hold on my ATM card because I used it in Paraguay. It will be lifted in the morning, but I am needing mongering funds asap. Best part is I told them I was going to Paraguay.

I have crisp Ben Franklins. Where can I turn these into pesos tonight?

Jackson
06-06-10, 20:30
My bank put a fraud hold on my ATM card because I used it in Paraguay. It will be lifted in the morning, but I am needing mongering funds asap. Best part is I told them I was going to Paraguay.

I have crisp Ben Franklins. Where can I turn these into pesos tonight?Gato Hunter,

With all due respect, this is right out of Travel 101:

- Always travel with TWO ATM cards from TWO differnet banks on TWO different networks.

- Never rely on just one ATM card, ever. It's your lifeline.

- The same applies to traveling with credit cards. Always travel with TWO credt cards from TWO different banks.

Thanks,

Jackson

Member #3320
06-06-10, 20:57
Don't mean to sound mean, GH but I concur 100% with Mr Jackson on this issue.

Gato Hunter,

With all due respect, this is right out of Travel 101:

- Always travel with TWO ATM cards from TWO differnet banks on TWO different networks.

- Never rely on just one ATM card, ever. It's your lifeline.

- The same applies to traveling with credit cards. Always travel with TWO credt cards from TWO different banks.

Thanks,

Jackson

WorldTravel69
06-06-10, 21:00
Go see Dave or Mat.

I have crisp Ben Franklins. Where can I turn these into pesos tonight?

Gato Hunter
06-06-10, 22:22
Thanks to all that pm'd me or called me. I'm all set for tonight.

I was never in danger of not being able to monger tonight. I am sitting on plenty of Ben Franklins. Worse case Madahos would change them for 3.8.

Cash is better than two ATM cards.

Santa
06-07-10, 17:49
Yes cash is better! However, passport, driver license and one of each credit cards should be put into a safe or a secured place along with the extra money.

Ferdglob
06-15-10, 15:54
3.905 on Alvear right near the Sheraton. Walked around the neighborhood and was the best rate I saw.

Argento
06-17-10, 15:55
3.905 on Alvear right near the Sheraton. Walked around the neighborhood and was the best rate I saw.Used my long-term money changer today. Home delivery.

Rate 3.97. On the sell side, 4.04.

Lot of talk on the radio by the journalists covering the World Cup. They are astounded at how cheap everything is in both Europe and South Africa. And how salubrious the bars and confiterias are. And how clean the sidewalks are of dogshit and how well they are maintained. Travel sometimes can broaden the mind.

Argento

Yankee617
06-24-10, 23:39
When exchanging USD cash.

1. What size notes are best to bring from the USA? $20, $50, or $100.

2. What size transaction seems optimal? $100, $200, $400, $600, $800, or.

3. How does this compare to using credit cards or bank debit cards?

I'm thinking of visiting BA for a couple months (during Winter in USA) and am now doing bits and pieces of advance research. For a change, I plan to stay in one place just to live a relaxed life, while studying spanish and doing some light mongering when the mood strikes.

I visited BA (and Uruguay) once before a couple decades ago; that was only for a couple weeks. Since then I've traveled extensively along Brazil's coast, usually 3 weeks at a time (and only 3-4 days in any one place) Now I want to visit the spanish-speaking countries of S. America more thoroughly. My reasons for starting in BA instead of, say, Colombia are:

+ BA seems more cosmopolitan,

+ Current BA prices are the best I've ever seen, and.

+ I have some Argentine friends in BA (young married couple)

All comments welcome. Thanks!

AllIWantIsLove
06-25-10, 01:41
1) I bring mostly 100s because otherwise the wad of bills gets too thick.

2) I don't think that most places give you a better rate for larger amounts. I base the amount on convenience. I do between 200 and 400 depending on anticipated expenses. Smaller amounts are not practical for me because the place I stay is far from the exchange places which give good rates.

3) I bring a debit card and sometimes I use it but only if I am in a real bind. The foreign currency transaction fee really pisses me off so I use a credit or debit card only as a last resort.

Good Luck, Bob.

I'm thinking of visiting BA for a couple months (during Winter in USA) and am now doing bits and pieces of advance research. For a change, I plan to stay in one place just to live a relaxed life, while studying spanish and doing some light mongering when the mood strikes.

I visited BA (and Uruguay) once before a couple decades ago; that was only for a couple weeks. Since then I've traveled extensively along Brazil's coast, usually 3 weeks at a time (and only 3-4 days in any one place) Now I want to visit the spanish-speaking countries of S. America more thoroughly. My reasons for starting in BA instead of, say, Colombia are:

All comments welcome. Thanks!

Rev BS
06-25-10, 02:27

All comments welcome. Thanks!The best credit card for travelling internationally is CapitalOne. It does not charge for foreign transactions. For ATM, I use HSBC as they have banks extensively in South America, Asia and Europe (not sure about Africa) You will save substantially on ATM fees.

Yankee617
06-25-10, 04:11
The best credit card for travelling internationally is CapitalOne. It does not charge for foreign transactions. Yes. Thanks for pointing that out. However, you do pay 3% of the transaction as a cash advance fee. How does that compare to exchanging USD cash? Do you think you get a better exchange rate (vs cash) with CapitalOne?

NOTE: A trick I've used for years is to pre-load my credit card with a few thousand dollars positive balance. Then, when I take a cash advance, this avoids the high 24.9% cash advance interest rate (but it does not avoid the aforementioned cash advance fee)

Rev BS
06-25-10, 07:16
Yes. Thanks for pointing that out. However, you do pay 3% of the transaction as a cash advance fee. How does that compare to exchanging USD cash? Do you think you get a better exchange rate (vs cash) with CapitalOne?

NOTE: A trick I've used for years is to pre-load my credit card with a few thousand dollars positive balance. Then, when I take a cash advance, this avoids the high 24.9% cash advance interest rate (but it does not avoid the aforementioned cash advance fee)Because of the fee, I never use cash advance from credit cards. That is why I have the HSBC account for ATM, you can easily open an internet account in the US. It is highly rated and one of the largest banks in the world. Since I am overseas most of the time, I don't like alot of cash on me. I have used it extensively in Argentina, Peru, Colombia and Brazil in the past. As with currency banking rates, they are usually very good. Argentina has the Banelco fee, which you cannot avoid, I forgot how much it was.

Northsider
09-10-10, 01:36
Just used my Cap1 credit card for the first time in a long time before seeing your posts, Black Shirt. I then remembered why I don't use it often.

Last week I was about to buy an airline ticket in another country (S. Africa) online. I called Cap1 and gave them a heads up about it, and it was duly noted. I bought the ticket, and a few hours later get an urgent email about a possible fraudulent transaction and must call in. Yeah, then I remembered I had never used their card abroad without having to call in, ever. At least now with Skype it's a little easier, but if I'm on the go I'll use a different card. Even in the US I've had instances where my card got blocked when buying gas (btw, I have excellent credit, so that's not an issue)

Another thing is their phantom exchange rate. Yes, no charge for international transactions, but they hit you on the rate. I just calculated it with the S. African air ticket, and it was 1%. I first caught them at it in the 1990s, and it was app. 1-2% if I recall correctly. Call Cap1 and ask about it, and you'll never get them to admit it ("that was the rate at the time of the transaction, sir") I'm not griping about the 1% (especially on a $40 transaction) but I don't like to be bs'd.

Citi used to do the phantom rate on foreign ATM transactions when they didn't have a service charge for using a Citi card, and there again you'd never get them to admit it. Then they officially tacked on a 3% transaction fee, and the exchange rate became one you'd see on the likes of Oanda; in fact, it was even a little better than before the fee became official.

Lothario
10-13-10, 05:57
Sounds like these are difficult to cash in BA?

Exchanging money here in Australia the banks can only give me pesos in $100 notes as they can't source any lower denominations.

Whats the best way to break these when I get to BA?

Will a bank swap some $100 pesos for smaller notes when I arrive?

Cheers,

Lothario

Wild Walleye
10-13-10, 11:18
Sounds like these are difficult to cash in BA?

Exchanging money here in Australia the banks can only give me pesos in $100 notes as they can't source any lower denominations.

Whats the best way to break these when I get to BA?

Will a bank swap some $100 pesos for smaller notes when I arrive?

Cheers,

Lothario

Is to use them (almost anywhere other than a taxi or kioski). If you are at a restaurant or bar, etc. If you have 20s and 50s in your pocket when paying for lunch or dinner, break out the 100 note(s). I have never had trouble getting change back at privados (although one should go in with exact change on hand).

If you haven't already purchased pesos in Ausiland, I'd suggest waiting until you get to Bs As and hit the ATMs (somewhere in this thread there is info on the best ones at EZE). Depending upon your mode of transport from EZE to your destination, you may get a few smaller bills in change.

Lothario
10-14-10, 00:38
So as long as I use a bit of smarts, I shouldn't have any problems by the sound of it.

Thanks mate.

Is to use them (almost anywhere other than a taxi or kioski. If you are at a restaurant or bar, etc. If you have 20s and 50s in your pocket when paying for lunch or dinner, break out the 100 note (s. I have never had trouble getting change back at privados (although one should go in with exact change on hand.

If you haven't already purchased pesos in Ausiland, I'd suggest waiting until you get to Bs As and hit the ATMs (somewhere in this thread there is info on the best ones at EZE. Depending upon your mode of transport from EZE to your destination, you may get a few smaller bills in change.

Jaimito Cartero
10-14-10, 04:34
99% of the time, it's stupid to exchange outside of Argentina. I know that the good bank at the airport (Banco de La Nacion) gives good rates on USD and Euros. Don't use Global Exchange or the other ripoffs at the airport. You can ask the bank for lots of small bills. I always do.

Lothario
10-15-10, 05:23
Have already exchanged the money here in Oz because I wasnt sure whether I would get a good rate for the aussie dollar from the banks in Argentina. I got a fairly good rate here, but will go to the Banco de La Nacion when I land at the airport and change for some smaller notes.

99% of the time, it's stupid to exchange outside of Argentina. I know that the good bank at the airport (Banco de La Nacion) gives good rates on USD and Euros. Don't use Global Exchange or the other ripoffs at the airport. You can ask the bank for lots of small bills. I always do.

Gandolf50
10-16-10, 08:06
I have found that most places give reasonable rates for dollars and euros for example. But I have found in trying to change pounds or mexican pesos (for example) that the rates can be absurd (and not in your favor) One place I have found in the city (Other then Banco de La Nacion in the airport) is on the corner of Maipu and Tuccaman near the Florida street tourist trap. The place is a tourist agency and money exchange. No commision, good rates, but they do require your passport or DNI.

Quality Time
10-16-10, 14:23
Have already exchanged the money here in Oz because I wasnt sure whether I would get a good rate for the aussie dollar from the banks in Argentina. I got a fairly good rate here, but will go to the Banco de La Nacion when I land at the airport and change for some smaller notes.Hi:

Can anyone tell me if they will exchange Canadian dollars at the airport Banco de La Nacion?

Thanks

Tigede Jade
10-16-10, 17:59
What commissions are taken in BA when cashing TC?

Are Euro TC (not only USD) treated correctly as far as the rate Euro / peso is concerned?

Gandolf50
10-16-10, 21:23
Hi:

Can anyone tell me if they will exchange Canadian dollars at the airport Banco de La Nacion?

ThanksYes, they exchange almost everything.

Northsider
11-25-10, 11:57
Yes, they exchange almost everything.They wouldn't take S. African rand, referred me to a place upstairs (but I didn't go)

Mariot1000
11-25-10, 16:31
Hi there,

I went to Banco Santander today and got 3. 95 per US Dollar, I thought that was pretty good. No commission either. At the airport today they only wanted to give 3. 35 pesos for each US Dollar, what a difference.

By the way I forgot to bring my party pills, if anyone has any extra Celais or Viagra or could sure use the assist. I am staying in the Recoleta area.

Thanks much,

M

Northsider
12-21-10, 11:03
I've been going over old reports, and hoping to hear some good news on this: is there any way to get US dollars in BsAs that doesn't involve bringing pesos to a bank / cambio and "buying" the dollars?

I have a Citi ATM card, but haven't heard of anyone successfully pulling greenbacks out of a machine. It looks like I'm going to be renting an apt. From someone who wants US$ so I'm researching this.

Failing that, it looks like the best buy / sell spread is. 04 pesos these days, and a 'thank you' to all who posted the cambio websites.

El Perro
12-21-10, 11:27
I've been going over old reports, and hoping to hear some good news on this: is there any way to get US dollars in BsAs that doesn't involve bringing pesos to a bank / cambio and "buying" the dollars?

I have a Citi ATM card, but haven't heard of anyone successfully pulling greenbacks out of a machine. It looks like I'm going to be renting an apt. From someone who wants US$ so I'm researching this.

Failing that, it looks like the best buy / sell spread is. 04 pesos these days, and a 'thank you' to all who posted the cambio websites. Bring the greenbacks with you and if not, head to one of the cambios listed in this thread. I've never heard a reliable report about getting dollars from a machine. An urban myth.

Donnie D
12-27-10, 23:27
I just got back from BA two days ago. The going rate varied at the cambios from 3. 90. 3.95. I brought $100 bills to exchange. I didn't quibble over the small difference when I needed the pesos. But once I found a cambio with a better rate, I continued to use that particular one for the next few days.

Beezer
01-02-11, 22:36
I will be in BsAs for three months starting Jan 15.

In the event I run short on funds over this time period I could withdraw some cash from my USA Paypal account balance IF it were possible.

Has anyone had any luck transfering money from USA Paypal to a bank, cambio or?

I tried to use PayPal once for an apartment deposit but the owner could not figure a way to accept the funds.

I would like to know the best way to scare up some USA based cash if there was an emergency (ie excessive mongering)

Thanks.

Beezer

Tessan
01-03-11, 03:12
I will be in BsAs for three months starting Jan 15.

In the event I run short on funds over this time period I could withdraw some cash from my USA Paypal account balance IF it were possible.

Has anyone had any luck transfering money from USA Paypal to a bank, cambio or?

I tried to use PayPal once for an apartment deposit but the owner could not figure a way to accept the funds.

I would like to know the best way to scare up some USA based cash if there was an emergency (ie excessive mongering)

Thanks.

BeezerJust ask PayPal to give you an ATM card. I have never tried it in BA, but I should work like any other bank card. You enter you pin and withdraw cash in pesos. I once looked into sending money using Paypal from BA to USA, and the fee where very high, was not worth it. Would be cheaper to send it Federal Express.

AllIWantIsLove
02-11-11, 16:52
This place at Av. Santa Fe 840 is mentioned here often. But one bit of info which I don't think I've seen posted here is that it is quite close to the General San Martin stop on the C-line. Only about two blocks away if I recall correctly. So it's good for rainy days.

Today the rate I got for US dollars was 4. 02, a bit better than what their web site says.

There's a sign saying that you need a passport and I was asked for one, but when I said I didn't have it they still made the exchange. However I think that in the future I will have my passport with me when I go there.

When you go in you take a number. But the sign displaying which cashier is available for which ticket number is somewhat hidden by a partition in front of the cashiers, especially once you are sitting down. Worse, it sort of looks like a clock - a single digit (the cashier number) and then two digits (which ticket he is ready for).

Bob

Amantelondres
02-11-11, 18:25
For safety's sake I usually carry a colour copy of the page in my passport showing a photo. I've found Paris Cambio accepts this. Other cambios, such as the one near La Biela (Metropolis I think) insist on original documents.

This place at Av. Santa Fe 840 is mentioned here often. But one bit of info which I don't think I've seen posted here is that it is quite close to the General San Martin stop on the C-line. Only about two blocks away if I recall correctly. So it's good for rainy days.

Today the rate I got for US dollars was 4. 02, a bit better than what their web site says.

There's a sign saying that you need a passport and I was asked for one, but when I said I didn't have it they still made the exchange. However I think that in the future I will have my passport with me when I go there.

When you go in you take a number. But the sign displaying which cashier is available for which ticket number is somewhat hidden by a partition in front of the cashiers, especially once you are sitting down. Worse, it sort of looks like a clock. A single digit (the cashier number) and then two digits (which ticket he is ready for).

Bob

Member #3320
02-11-11, 21:42
Been using the ATM card at Citibank ATMs, got exchange rate of 4. 02 after all expenses of local ATM, conversion etc.

Citibank is allowing 2500 pesos in one single draw (about 624 us$)

Also used my credit card in last week in various occasions and got a exchange rate of 4. 03.

Hope this helps newbies in BA.

Mpexy
02-11-11, 21:52
Been using the ATM card at Citibank ATMs, got exchange rate of 4. 02 after all expenses of local ATM, conversion etc.

Also used my credit card in last week in various occasions and got a exchange rate of 4. 03.

Hope this helps newbies in BA. Citibank will allow whatever your personal bank setup is configured and allows for, depending on type of account and status.

Rarely ever need that much of course, but I can and have drawn out equivalent of $1k US per day, per account, with Citibank as that's the limit I've set. Not sure what the top end.

AllIWantIsLove
02-12-11, 01:25
Did you pay a "foreign currency transaction fee"? I think that's listed separately on your bank statement; I. E. You wouldn't see it from the receipt printed at the ATM.

I've heard that some banks are waving it for accounts over six figures, but unless you are one of those lucky guys I'll bet you paid it.

Bob.

Hope this helps newbies in BA.

Mpexy
02-12-11, 14:11
Citibank used to waive foreign currency transaction fees for cash withdrawals if from a Citibank branch ATM on all accounts but that changed sometime 2009.

Since then, regular accounts pay a 3% foreign currency transaction fee on cash withdrawal and 3% for any debit / credit charge. On your receipt at time of cash withdrawal it's totalled into the conversion. On your bank statement or online report it will break out the total into the exchange part vs the 3% fee.

Status or investment pool tied accounts get a waive on the cash withdrawal 3% foreign currency fee if done at Citibank branch, but debit / credit charge normally gets dinged unless you call to complain. What they do YMMV.

As a side note. Because the ATM machines are placed by some third party company even within the Citibank branches here in Bs. As, it will show as a non-citibank ATM withdrawal even though I use the clearly branded and labelled Citibank ATM machines. I always end up calling every 3 months or so to have customer service wipe out all the non-Citibank ATM charges.

Did you pay a "foreign currency transaction fee"? I think that's listed separately on your bank statement; I. E. You wouldn't see it from the receipt printed at the ATM.

I've heard that some banks are waving it for accounts over six figures, but unless you are one of those lucky guys I'll bet you paid it.

Bob.

Erizone
03-02-11, 21:28
Hey Fellas,

I have travelled enough to know that the worst place to change money is at the airport. I am looking for Casas de Cambio in BA. Does anyone know of any casa de cambio (Address please) where they ususally give good rates? Also, are they open on Sundays? I am arriving this Sunday morning and I am hoping I can change some money that same day.

Thanks!

Erizone

Sportsman
03-02-11, 22:28
I have travelled enough to know that the worst place to change money is at the airport.Well, in EZE you get one of the best and worst places to exchange money. Banco de Nacion is one of the best, usually within 1 to 2 cents from the best rate available to the public. The worst place is the cambio inside the baggage area. In town, Paris Cambio is where I recommend, but they are closed on Sunday. Spent 10 minutes read through this thread, all the places I mentioned have been discussed repeatedly here.

Member #3320
03-02-11, 23:36
Well, in EZE you get one of the best and worst places to exchange money. Banco de Nacion is one of the best, usually within 1 to 2 cents from the best rate available to the public. The worst place is the cambio inside the baggage area. In town, Paris Cambio is where I recommend, but they are closed on Sunday. Spent 10 minutes read through this thread, all the places I mentioned have been discussed repeatedly here.Their are also citibank and few other bank ATM machines at the airport in case you carry a ATM / debit card.

Silver Star
03-03-11, 00:35
Their are also citibank and few other bank ATM machines at the airport in case you carry a ATM / debit card.I am at EZE all the time, when Banco de la Nacion (best exchange at EZE) has a long line (often the line goes out the door) , a good 2nd choice is Banco Piano, reasonable rates, usually no line, and a much better rate than Global Exchange (Avoid at all costs)

If the line is long at the Citibank ATM or the HSBC in terminal A, there is a Banco de la Nacion ATM in departures, usually no line. Beware of high transaction fees and low withdrawal limits.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires Airport Transfers, City Tours and More

CuloDelMundo
03-15-11, 18:58
There's a RapiPago or PagoFacil place in Pueyrredon / Guido and Libertador, opposite to BADesign, and right in front of Checkers (which is an awful place BTW). They have excellent rates and you don't have to fill any documents or present an I'd.

I've been using it for years.

I guess that's my contribution, now if someone would please help me find Mary.

Jake 277
03-24-11, 08:38
OK, Thanks for all the great info.

I will try and get to Banco be la Nacion in the airport. I am assuming that it is outside baggage claim?

Besides ATM's (Need to get a pin for my CC) are there any places open in BA on Sunday?

My work schedule during the week get's me back about 7pm. I am assuming that all banks are closed?

Thanks,

-Jake 277

Gandolf50
03-24-11, 11:24
[QUOTE=Jake 277; 416363]OK, Thanks for all the great info.

I will try and get to Banco be la Nacion in the airport. I am assuming that it is outside baggage claim?

Besides ATM's (Need to get a pin for my CC) are there any places open in BA on Sunday?

My work schedule during the week get's me back about 7pm. I am assuming that all banks are closed?

Thanks.

(Quote)

There is a place on the corner of Maipu and Tucaman one block west of calle Florida. Its a travel agency and exchange house.

Amantelondres
03-24-11, 15:52
Change the minimum amount necessary on Sunday (and Saturday) as rate is less favourable than on weekdays when exchange houses such as Metropolis compete with banks.

[QUOTE=Jake 277; 416363]OK, Thanks for all the great info.

Thanks.

(Quote)

There is a place on the corner of Maipu and Tucaman one block west of calle Florida. Its a travel agency and exchange house.

Rock Harders
03-25-11, 21:38
Mongers-

I am willing to buy dollars at a rate of 4. 10 AR / 1 USD if anyone is looking to obtain some pesos. PM if interested.

Suerte,

RH

Rastaman
03-30-11, 19:37
Since Argentina is experiencing hyper-inflation currently. Has anyone changed currency on the Black market? How many A$ = US$1? Where's the best spots for Black market exchanges?

Seaman
03-30-11, 22:55
Since Argentina is experiencing hyper-inflation currently. Has anyone changed currency on the Black market? How many A$ = US$1? Where's the best spots for Black market exchanges?Hyper inflation? Do you know what that means? There is no hyper-inflation At the moment!

You will get AR$4:U$D1 today, tomorrow, and most likely next month too. In a hyper-inflation situation you will get a different exchange rate by the hour!

Wild Walleye
03-31-11, 02:07
On your first point, the is no hyperinflation in Argentina at the moment. Not sure where you got your info but just throw together a graph correlating the inflation rate (govt or actual) and the exchange rate. While the peso / dollar rate has slipped from about 3:1 to 4:1, over the past four years, the slide has been gradual. Further, the relative value of the two currencies is primarily determined by relative govt interest rates, adjusted for inflation disparities and a few other esoteric variables.

To your second point, unless you are looking to exchange large amounts currency, off the books, you have no need for black market transactions. Further, I wouldn't show to a large denomination, off-the-books exchange without bringing my friends, Sig and Sauer. I'd also be wearing my Kevlar Second Chance long johns that day, regardless of the weather.

The point here at AP is to consume vast amounts of great poontang, parilla and Malbec, while learning about the Constitution, US history and global politics (WW's online graduate program). Adding unnecessary wrinkles that could put you into an unfamiliar arena and possibly harms way are things better left for your fantasies rather than your realities. If a newbie (not saying that you are one) to Bs As could find his way into an off-book currency exchange, I suspect that the rate would be worse than one can get at the Banelco. These guys aren't in the business of providing tourists with better exchange rates for their Amex travelers checks, they are in business to facilitate exchanges that are difficult or impossible to effectuate through normal channels.

Gandolf50
03-31-11, 06:35
I got $4. 16 yesterday in Moreno from a hole in the wall "casa de cambio". The rate for changing less then a thousand dollars was $4. 12. The local bank is paying $4. 04 if you want to standing in line for a hour or two.

WorldTravel69
03-31-11, 13:28
It is not much a black market.

There are people on Calle Florida and Av. Corrientes that will give maybe a peso or two different.

It is not worth the time.

It is also possible to receive counterfeit pesos that way.

Since Argentina is experiencing hyper-inflation currently. Has anyone changed currency on the Black market? How many A$ = US$1? Where's the best spots for Black market exchanges?

Argento
03-31-11, 17:24
On your first point, the is no hyperinflation in Argentina at the moment. Not sure where you got your info but just throw together a graph correlating the inflation rate (govt or actual) and the exchange rate. While the peso / dollar rate has slipped from about 3:1 to 4:1, over the past four years, the slide has been gradual. Further, the relative value of the two currencies is primarily determined by relative govt interest rates, adjusted for inflation disparities and a few other esoteric variables.

To your second point, unless you are looking to exchange large amounts currency, off the books, you have no need for black market transactions. Further, I wouldn't show to a large denomination, off-the-books exchange without bringing my friends, Sig and Sauer. I'd also be wearing my Kevlar Second Chance long johns that day, regardless of the weather.

The point here at AP is to consume vast amounts of great poontang, parilla and Malbec, while learning about the Constitution, US history and global politics (WW's online graduate program). Adding unnecessary wrinkles that could put you into an unfamiliar arena and possibly harms way are things better left for your fantasies rather than your realities. If a newbie (not saying that you are one) to Bs As could find his way into an off-book currency exchange, I suspect that the rate would be worse than one can get at the Banelco. These guys aren't in the business of providing tourists with better exchange rates for their Amex travelers checks, they are in business to facilitate exchanges that are difficult or impossible to effectuate through normal channels. Well "Knowledge Guts", (he who knows all and spruiks all). This time you are provably incorrect. At the "corralito" 2002, the exchange after a few bumps settled at about 3. 12. It has depreciated against the U$ at less than 5% per annum using a controlled devaluation. Given that it is 9 years after the initial panic, the math is very simple. Seems to have blown out a bit since Christmas as the inevitable multipliers of compounded inflation take hold. Still a long, long way to go before the bell rings.

Argento

Wild Walleye
03-31-11, 20:41
Well "Knowledge Guts", (he who knows all and spruiks all). This time you are provably incorrect. At the "corralito" 2002, the exchange after a few bumps settled at about 3. 12. It has depreciated against the U$ at less than 5% per annum using a controlled devaluation. Given that it is 9 years after the initial panic, the math is very simple. Seems to have blown out a bit since Christmas as the inevitable multipliers of compounded inflation take hold. Still a long, long way to go before the bell rings.

ArgentoI have no idea what you are trying to say. I assume your jab at me was intended to spur me into sharing more of my hard-earned brilliance with you and my fellows here in the AP clubroom. As always, I am delighted to share my thoughts and opinions with you and anyone else, it helps me to further amortize the life long investment I have made in the quest for knowledge.

Rastaman's question included the term hyperinflation, the definition of which seems to have escaped him. I imagine that it was through pure happenstance that he happened to include the concepts of exchange rates and inflation rates in the same post, which happen to be interconnected via relative interest rates.

I was merely pointing out that neither the conditions nor the precursors for hyperinflation are present in Argentina today nor has there been a recent, cataclysmic FOREX devaluation.

But since you asked, please allow me to add some additional detail on a fascinating subject that is near and dear to my heart and that is one of sublime importance not only to sovereignty and national security but to the perpetuation of our individual existences.

The definition of hyperinflation is a loose one and ranges from 26% compounded per annum over three years (or in other terms nearly 100%) to more than 50% per month. While a precipitous fall in one country's exchange rate versus a bell-weather currency (I. E. A foreign currency that through such period retains its relative purchasing power for a specific basket of goods and services) could be an the result of, and an indicator of, the presence of high inflation or hyperinflation within the economy, it isn't the root cause of either. While not exclusively caused by loose monetary policy, hyperinflation cannot exist with out increasing money supply. As I think I explained in an earlier post on the subject of quantitative easing by the US Federal Reserve Bank, printing money doesn't increase the amount of wealth in the economy, it redistributes it. Milton Friedman said it better: 'Inflation is a monetary phenomenon, But hyperinflation is always and everywhere a political phenomenon, in the sense that it cannot occur without a fundamental malfunction of a country's political economy. '

While the conditions aren't currently present in Argentina, persistent, episodic hyperinflation in Argentina, from 1983 through 1992, was a horribly destructive force that caused real damage to nearly every Argentine citizen and everyone who help cash or assets denominated in Argentine currency. The political decision to print money to cover government budget deficits resulted in devaluing the peso to nearly 100 billionth of its previous value. I can recall, long before I ever set foot in Argentina, reading stories about this hyperinflation in Argentina and that shop keepers would not put prices on the products in order to facilitate the need to change the prices of their goods multiple times per day. In some cases, prices could increase as much as 30% over the course of a few hours. At the end of the 19th century, Argentina was the 7th wealthiest nation and maintained much of its wealth into the post-WWII era, currently Argentina ranks 30th in GDP and 80th in the world on a GDP per capita basis.

Next to Russia, Argentina is the largest hoarder of US dollars and while the local economy is not officially dollarized, the net result is that for all practical intent and purpose Argentina's inflation 'tare' weight (the weight of the container which is subtracted out of the cost when purchasing the contents) is the US inflation rate. If the US devalues its currency by printing money and quantitative easing or experiences high inflation due to other causes, it will pass those problems on to all of the nations dependent upon the dollar, including Argentina. Therefore, a weaker dollar, means a weaker peso, provided, however, that other variables such as sovereign risk and global flight to quality will likely cause the dollarized and nearly-dollarized currencies to lose value versus the dollar, even though it maybe the US economy that is at the root of the problem.

Hyperinflation is caused by gutless, despotic politicians and is morally reprehensible. It destroys people and nations. It could destroy the US, if we let it. It my opinion, politicians responsible for causing hyperinflation should be treated as criminals, prosecuted and incarcerated.

I posit the following, were it not for hyperinflation and the destruction of wealth by Argentine politicians over a long period of time, Argentina would not be the monger paradise that it is today.

Rastaman
04-02-11, 19:14
Please read the full Bloomberg News article in the link below:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-29/no-one-cries-for-argentina-embracing-25-inflation-as-fernandez-leads-boom.html

Emeritus
04-14-11, 20:42
Thought someone might have some Colombian pesos laying gathering dust.

Please excuse if this is in wrong heading.

Thanks

Daddy Rulz
10-07-11, 13:21
So after 3 years daddys coming back. I checked the rate today online and saw it's at 4. 4 or so to the dollar. Daddy's wondering what the cambios are actually giving. Also is the arbolito flaco with the 70's porn stash still standing on the corner of Florida and Lavalle endlessly chanting "cambio, cambio, cambio?"

Member #4112
10-07-11, 17:36
Went to Metropolitian to exchange Dollars, took my passport and the young lady behind the counter got attitude as soon as she realized I was a Gringo. Gave her all the information she wanted but when I could not give her the telephone number for the apartment she got really fuffy and refused to complete the exchange and told me no phone number no money and to leave if I did not have it. First time this has ever happened. Went to another Metropolitian and when we came to the phone number I told the guy I didn't have it so he said no problem just bring it next time. Changed my money no problem. Is it me or are the chica's getting more bitchy?

Daddy Rulz
10-07-11, 18:09
There was a good black market cambio in Gallaria del Sol. If you're walking down Florida towards Plaza San Martin when you get to Viamonte (I think it's Viamonte, the intersection where Fl Gardens is) take a left, go into the Galaria on your left and you will see a leather shop with a really fat guy in it. They don't actually sell leather, they had a 30 year old coat in the window with 4 inches of dust on it last time I was there, and behind a little partition is an old Russian lady. They always gave me a better rate than the official ones, I never got any trucho bills, and no paperwork to fill out.

Gandolf50
10-08-11, 14:42
So after 3 years daddys coming back. I checked the rate today online and saw it's at 4. 4 or so to the dollar. Daddy's wondering what the cambios are actually giving. Also is the arbolito flaco with the 70's porn stash still standing on the corner of Florida and Lavalle endlessly chanting "cambio, cambio, cambio?"Thursday I got 4. 37 at the casa de cambio in Moreno. No papers no nothing. Just like always.

Damman
11-01-11, 15:44
Exchanging currency is a whole new world here. Do not think there is much of a problem going from dollars to pesos, but cashing out of pesos could present problems. Need a receipt of the exchange to cash out into dollars. Just heads up.

http://www.bcra.gov.ar/pdfs/comytexord/A5241.pdf

AllIWantIsLove
11-03-11, 01:38
Damman, I am not sure I understand (and Google Translate wasn't very helpful). Do you mean that if you want to change pesos to dollars you have to have a receipt to prove that you started out with dollars?

Thanks, Bob.

Exchanging currency is a whole new world here. Do not think there is much of a problem going from dollars to pesos, but cashing out of pesos could present problems. Need a receipt of the exchange to cash out into dollars. Just heads up.

http://www.bcra.gov.ar/pdfs/comytexord/A5241.pdf

Gandolf50
11-03-11, 07:39
Damman, I am not sure I understand (and Google Translate wasn't very helpful). Do you mean that if you want to change pesos to dollars you have to have a receipt to prove that you started out with dollars?

Thanks, Bob.If you don't have permision from AFIP you can't buy dollars. But as a tourist who bought pesos with dollars you can buy up to the same amount of dollars that you sold with proof of the original transaction. Better to sell to a friend as they don't pay much anyway!

Damman
11-04-11, 10:11
As it was translated to me:

I. * The sale of currencies for the purpose of tourism and travels to non-residents will be subject to an authorization by the Central Bank when the following requisites are not fully met: a) it is proven that the previous entry of the foreign currency through the local currency market during the stay of the non-resident in the country for an amount not less than the one being asked for by showing the original receipt of the exchange operation by which the foreign currency entered the country, and for which the process will be treated by the entity for the amount operated by the customer; and be) it does not exceed the equivalent amount of 5. 000 USD for each customer and during the stay in the country. Copy of the required documentation shall be kept in the entity at the disposal of the central bank.

Ii. *Modification of point 3 of note 'A' 4662, being replaced by the following:

3. *'The purchase of currencies and the purchase of foreign currency bills will be done after approval by the central bank.

So, what this text means :

There are two cumulative conditions for a non resident to be able to buy freely currencies :

1- proving that the amount being exchanged has previously entered the country through the local currency market (the receipt needs to be kept). Example = John Doe enters Argentina with 2. 000 USD, changes them to 8. 500 pesos but at the end of his trip, he wants to change back 2. 500 pesos to USD = he will have to show the original receipt.

2- operation must be less than the equivalent of 5. 000 USD (e. G. 5.000 USD / 4. 300 EUR / etc).

If those two cumulative conditions are not met. The Central bank will need to give its approval.

3. *'The purchase of currencies and the purchase of foreign currency bills will be done after approval by the central bank.

Damman
11-04-11, 10:51

Thanks, Bob.Yes.

Exchanging dollars in the black will probably get you about 4. 70 today. The problem with exchanging in the black, no valid receipt to go back into dollars. US dollar is the hottest commodity in Argentina. And from what I have heard, an ATM receipt does not qualify for exchanging back into dollars.

Miami Bob
11-21-11, 11:49
I am arriving Tuesday. At the national bank in the airport, how many pesos per us$ should I expect?

What would be a reasonable black market rate in a casa de cambio-not in a back alleyway in a bad part of town

Gandolf50
11-21-11, 15:12
I am arriving Tuesday. At the national bank in the airport, how many pesos per us$ should I expect?

What would be a reasonable black market rate in a casa de cambio-not in a back alleyway in a bad part of townBanco de la Nacion $4. 25 +. Today I changed dollars for 4. 55, last week 5. 05

Chezz
11-21-11, 17:29
Banco de la Nacion $4. 25 +. Today I changed dollars for 4. 55, last week 5. 05Would you be so kind as to share where you got the 4. 55? I'm arriving next week and would appreciate the tip.

Thanks!

Damman
11-21-11, 17:52
Not offering where to go, everyone is spooked. Government hell bent on shutting down the black market. About 4. 70 today in the black. Just my two cents.

http://finanzas.iprofesional.com/notas/126065-Los-turistas-ya-no-van-a-las-casas-de-cambio-prefieren-comprar-con-dlares

TejanoLibre
11-21-11, 21:11

What would be a reasonable black market rate in a casa de cambio-not in a back alleyway in a bad part of townNo passport required!

Yes, it is hidden in a "Galeria" but it's legit!

Behind the Green Door, I mean behind the glass!

4. 50 to 1 is a fucking bargain Dude!

On Lavalle and almost Florida!

5 blocks from "The Mansion!"

TL

Miami Bob
11-27-11, 02:43
I ended up only changing us$150 at the bank to have some cash. A friend from miami's son changed my other money at 4. 80 pesos for the us$. The new government rules are creating a black market. The telephone place in the airport where I purchased some time for my personel sim card gave 4. 25 pesos-better than the national bank. This is a significant change from the past.

Member #3320
11-27-11, 03:21
I ended up only changing us$150 at the bank to have some cash. A friend from miami's son changed my other money at 4. 80 pesos for the us$. The new government rules are creating a black market. The telephone place in the airport where I purchased some time for my personel sim card gave 4. 25 pesos-better than the national bank. This is a significant change from the past.Is your friend's son available to change for us ordinary mortals as well? @4. 80?

I changed for 4. 65 at a cambio last week.

Miami Bob
11-27-11, 05:11
Speak with me privately. I am a friend of his family and have had asado with him and his childern.

Chezz
12-02-11, 21:29
Having arrived on Tuesday, the airport cambio was closed. Since I've been to town I've only been able to find "official" cambios, and their bs rates. I've been reading this thread about these secret cambios where one can get between 4. 40 and 5. 00. I've combed every fucking inch of Florida street and the only place I found was the official Metropole Cambio, or whateverthefuck it's called.

If anybody can give me information on where to exchange currency at a better-than-official rate, I'd certainly appreciate it. C'mon guys, help a brother out. Thanks!

TejanoLibre
12-02-11, 21:44
Having arrived on Tuesday, the airport cambio was closed. Since I've been to town I've only been able to find "official" cambios, and their bs rates. I've been reading this thread about these secret cambios where one can get between 4. 40 and 5. 00. I've combed every fucking inch of Florida street and the only place I found was the official Metropole Cambio, or whateverthefuck it's called.

If anybody can give me information on where to exchange currency at a better-than-official rate, I'd certainly appreciate it. C'mon guys, help a brother out. Thanks!

Got 4. 55 yesterday but may be able to get 4. 70!

Huge difference of opinion between 4.24 and 4.73 !

TL.

PS- It was in a hidden spot on Lavalle!

TL.

Will take you there.

Rock10
12-21-11, 13:41
Got 4. 55 yesterday but may be able to get 4. 70!

Huge difference of opinion between 4. 24 and 4. 73!

TL.

PS- It was in a hidden spot on Lavalle!

TL.

Will take you there.4. 60 everywhere in the gold and jewelry district Corrientes and Libertad.

Forecast to move to 5. 20 at least next year. Price of chicas is coming down guys!

Madonna only give 4. 00 so take pesos.

Happy Christmas

AllIWantIsLove
12-22-11, 03:24
I've normally paid chicas in pesos, although a few times I used dollars at Gysell's at more-or-less the standard exchange rate.

But these days are chicas happy to take US dollars at a real favorable exchange rate? If dollars are harder to obtain and everyone expects the peso to fall I'd think that it might be smart to pay chicas in US dollars.

Are any of you guys paying chicas in US dollars, and, if so, what rates are they giving you?

Thanks, Bob

Canardly
01-25-12, 22:05
That's why I'm posting at 10 pm. Monte is kinda dead.

Also $4. 90 in Asuncion last week. Lotta ARG leaving the country, now in weak hands.

AllIWantIsLove
01-26-12, 11:25
I don't understand the discrepancy between various rates. Today Dolar Hoy shows that the best rate you could get in BsAs if you were selling dollars is 4. 335. But twice I've gotten 4. 5 on Corrientes and most recently 4. 55. And now Canardly is posting much better rates in nearby countries.

The place on Corrientes is certainly no secret so I doubt that it's black market. And wouldn't international currency trading keep exchange rates pretty consistent around the world?

Can anyone explain how such discrepancies can exist?

Bob