PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Lessons / Language Schools

Jackson
02-18-05, 02:34
Thread Starter.

Traveling J
02-20-05, 17:55
Dear Gents:

After a long time lurking on the WSG Forum, I have decided to take a trip to Argentina.

I would like to combine our mutual hobby with some Spanish language learning. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, legitimate Spanish language school in Buenos Aires or elsewhere in Argentina?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations. I need to learn Spanish, plus I need a little "plausible deniality" -- however slight -- for the Thai wife.

Traveling J

HappyGoLucky
02-23-05, 23:26
If you want inexpensive, try "I.E.S. Lenguas Vivas" at Carlos Pellegrini 1515 in BsAs, phone 54 11 4322 3992. I cannot speak about the school from personal experience, but a friend told me the classes are "okay" and cost $400 pesos for 4 weeks, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week. Compared to other schools with high internet visibility, that is an excellent price point. The last time I checked, I.L.E.E. in BsAs was charging U$D 200 per week for the same number of hours of instruction.

Yossarian99
02-26-05, 15:27
University of Buenos Aires also has a really good program for foreigners. In fact, it's called "Espanol para Extranjeros".

Cost is about the same as Lenguas Vivas: 570 pesos per class, whether it's the normal class (4-hrs weekly for 4 months), the semi-intensive class (8-hrs weekly for 8 weeks), or the intensive class (16-hrs weekly for 4 weeks).

You can get more info at the school's web site:

http://www.uba.ar/internacionales/est_extranjeros/idioma.php

good luck...

Yos

Traveling J
03-02-05, 13:50
Thanks, guys! Both of your posts were very helpful.

Yujin
05-16-05, 22:50
or in any Spanish speaking country, I found this website to be an excellent resource: http://www.123teachme.com/

I thought I knew most of the language schools in Buenos Aires until I looked at this website. Students rate the schools and the ratings seem fair and objective. I've attended schools in Spain and Peru and I agree with the rating of those schools on this website.

I attended IBL located on Florida St. It's a small school and a good value with good instructors.

Sky Ryder
05-18-05, 19:06
I attended ILLE last August for three weeks. The classes were four hours a day and I found them to be both educational and intense. The instructors were all well qualified and I had three different ones over the time I was there. They will not speak any English to you or allow you to speak English unless it is the only way to communicate the point. There was some homework (written) as well. There were a number of college students attending in different classes, but I had no more than two other people in my class. The price was about $200 US per week, but I don't know how much the other schools charge. I will probably go back this August for another three weeks or so unless I find a better deal. I tried to return for two weeks in Feb, but it was last minute and they didn't have my level class available. They did give me a certificate for a free week when I paid in advance, but asked me to not broadcast that to the other students.

Easy Go
05-19-05, 01:28
I attended ILEE for four weeks earlier this year and had a similar experience. Class sizes were 4, 2, 1, and 1. Two weeks of a private class have sold me on the benefits of personal instruction so I'm going to to just do private lessons next time. One drawback to ILEE is that private classes are only offered in the afternoon.

I'd really like is to be able to take lessons over the Internet from somebody in BA using Skype. The classes were good but the minute I got home, I started to forget what I had learned.

Felipe
06-04-05, 09:48
I assume the Argentine Spanish schools teach "vos" instead of "tu." The vos form threw me a bit when I was in BA since that was not what I had studied or used in other countries. In addition to vos and using a J sound for LL instead of a Y sound, what other Argentine Spanish differences are there?

Hi Felipe,

I thought the double "LL" in Argentina was pronounced like an "S"?

Thanks,

Jackson

Felipe
06-04-05, 16:04
I assume the Argentine Spanish schools teach "vos" instead of "tu." The vos form threw me a bit when I was in BA since that was not what I had studied or used in other countries. In addition to vos and using a J sound for LL instead of a Y sound, what other Argentine Spanish differences are there?

Hi Felipe,

I thought the double "LL" in Argentina was pronounced like an "S"?

Thanks,

JacksonNot exactly a J or an S, I guess. More like the sound of the "su" in pleasure. Maye a slushy J or SH.

Barney Lobo
06-04-05, 21:37
"Vos" is actually "you" in latin not Catellano or Espana. Although I sure as hell am not a linguistic expert. Not to disagree with Jackson, but "ll" and "y" are pronounced like "sh". I know this because the accent is difficult and not to sound ignorant, but almost annoying, because it is different from Latin America and Espana, thus difficult for learning purposes. Chau.

Daddy Rulz
06-05-05, 04:20
But is exactly like the su, actually more like just the s, in pleasure not like sh in shyster at all.

Dickhead
06-05-05, 05:00
zh not sh. Zho may zhamo el Toro Rrrro-ho.

Sky Ryder
06-05-05, 05:25
The Argentines do not use vosotros as well. Every where I have been in Argentina they understand "tu" as well as "vos", but you are correct it really gets some interesting looks when you use it in other Spanish speaking countries. One thing is for sure, I sound like a 4 yr.old when I try to speak Spanish, but at least I am trying.

Felipe
06-05-05, 12:37
ZH is a good way to write it I think. And they do use "vos" in place of "tu" for the familiar second person singular in Argentina. Vos tenes (accent over the second e) instead of tu tienes. It confused me when I was there a while back. "Vosotros" is the familiar second person plural and is hardly ever used anywhere (except maybe in parts of Spain).

Yujin
06-05-05, 15:22
When I was in Argentina, even though I knew they used "vos," it just wouldn't register with me when I heard it. I think it's because I heard "bos," instead of "vos."

There was once a website that dealt exclusively with the unique words and pronunciation of the Argentinean Spanish. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that website. I did, however, find this interesting website:

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/argentinean_spanish.htm

Khun Larry
08-29-05, 02:48
If you want inexpensive, try "I. E. S. Lenguas Vivas" at Carlos Pellegrini 1515 in BsAs, phone 54 11 4322 3992. I cannot speak about the school from personal experience, but a friend told me the classes are "okay" and cost $400 pesos for 4 weeks, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week. HGL thanks for the tip. Great price point!

Any possibility an email address is available.

Stowe
09-19-05, 00:02
I am researching schools in Buenos Aires that do Spanish instruction for English speaking students.

I know of one, Academia Buenos Aires, but I do not know much about it. Does anyone anything about this or other schools where English speaking students are taught Spanish?

Suerte,

Stowe

Kc Questor
09-19-05, 21:38
See this thread (www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940) in the Travel Information section.

Stowe
09-20-05, 00:06
I knew I had seen it before and spent about 2 hours seaching without success. I appreciate it.

Suerte,

Stowe

El Perro
02-20-06, 13:27
It's been awhile since anyone posted here so I thought I would ask if there is any news out there about spanish classes before I become a student again.

Classes or private tutoring?

Thanks

Daddy Rulz
02-20-06, 17:21
HGL thanks for the tip. Great price point!

Any possibility an email address is available.Took the basic course with a guy from this board who doesnt know who I am (hehe) and I wasnt impressed. We had three different instructors (two were good one was a complete ***** who doesn't like N Americans I think) the course work was mostly about words not structure. Ok I reckon for 400 pesos but you would probably learn a lot more using that same amount of money to hire a private tutor.

YMMV

Marak5
02-20-06, 18:50
It's been awhile since anyone posted here so I thought I would ask if there is any news out there about spanish classes before I become a student again.

Classes or private tutoring?

ThanksDoggboy.

Forget about Spanish, you need to learn yourself some ebonics and how to rap if you want to truly live up to the name Dogg-boy. Ya heard?

Here's your first lesson:

Holla back dawg, where da hoez at? Don't trip or else ya end up wit a fat lip. Don't front why you call Marak5 a ****?

In English this means:

Say hello friend, where are the girls? Don't be a jerk or you'll get hurt. Why you calling Marak5 a **** in other threads when he doesn't even know who are?

More lessons to follow.

Stormy
02-20-06, 21:31
Additional info

Hunt99
02-20-06, 22:32
Doggboy.

Forget about Spanish, you need to learn yourself some ebonics and how to rap if you want to truly live up to the name Dogg-boy. Ya heard?

Here's your first lesson:

Holla back dawg, where da hoez at? Don't trip or else ya end up wit a fat lip. Don't front why you call Marak5 a ****?

In English this means:

Say hello friend, where are the girls? Don't be a jerk or you'll get hurt. Why you calling Marak5 a **** in other threads when he doesn't even know who are?

More lessons to follow.Personally I preferred the boring, self-indulgent, navel-gazing posts we used to get from this guy.

El Perro
02-20-06, 23:06
Before it gets lost in the flotsam, I am looking for a castellano speaking tutor, not a faux ebonics instructor from the very windy city. Thanks.

Tinman
04-13-06, 23:09
Regarding the pronunciation of double L as in "llamo", you can definitely tell the difference between the the way a person from Buenos Aires says it compared to other parts of the country. In BsAs it is almost like they are "shushing" and they pronounce "llamo" as "shamo" or "zhamo". There is even a saying in Argentina that makes fun of the way they say double L's that sounds kind of like our tongue twister "She sells sea shells by the sea shore". I forget the actual saying, but it's pretty funny.

I noticed that in the North of Argentina they typically don't pronounce S's at the end of words. For instance, the word "Vos" sounds like "Bo". Kind of confusing at first but you get used to it after a while. As far as I can gather, Argentinos would consider people from the Norte as we consider people from the South of the US; they talk slower, etc.

In the North they use the word "Boludo" a lot as a word filler (a la our use of the word "dude" or "fuck") and in Córdoba they use the word "Culiado" or "Culiao" as it's pronounced. Not sure about BsAs. Didn't stay there long enough to see.

Yujin
07-05-06, 03:22
I found this website offering private Spanish lessons. It looks like a good way to learn Spanish and to learn about Buenos Aires. If anyone has taken Spanish lessons from this woman, I'd like to know if you would recommend. Thanks!

http://www.gabrielaferrante.com.ar/

El Greco
07-06-06, 19:45
I found this website offering private Spanish lessons. It looks like a good way to learn Spanish and to learn about Buenos Aires. If anyone has taken Spanish lessons from this woman, I'd like to know if you would recommend. Thanks!

http://www.gabrielaferrante.com.ar/If you want inexpensive, try "I. E. S. Lenguas Vivas" at Carlos Pellegrini 1515 in BsAs, phone 54 11 4322 3992. Cost $400 pesos for 4 weeks, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week 14:00-18:00.

Try to call them or have a fellow member list you for the course you want to attend in advance. No need of payment for the booking. They have courses almost every month.

I took the preliminary course last November and I could hold a 2 hours decent conversation with a chica at Bogota on December.

Highly reccomented.

El Greco

Hound
07-12-06, 20:07
On another forum I read on occasion a member posted asking about some differences in various Spanish dialects and suggestions on how to best proceed in learning the dialect of Bs As. Below is a responding forum member's reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, my vote is that you start learning Iberian or "peninsular" Spanish, AKA Castellano, as spoken in and around Madrid. It's not that difficult. Even if your instructor is from México, he / she knows the difference and can easily add that extra conjugation for the pronoun vosotros. He / she can also teach the approximately accurate dialect, thetas and everything. Once you have your foot in the door of peninsular Spanish, you'll most likely find it easier to hear and interpret the multitude of dialects spoken around the rest of the world.

Second, you have posted a very good and very loaded question. Where do you plan to spend the majority of your Spanish-speaking life? If you're only planning on hanging about Argentina there is no reason not to jump in and sample the local language schools, all of which will teach you to speak the local dialect known as Rioplatense. Rioplatense is a unique dialect spoken primarily by those who live along the Rio Plata in Argentina and Uruguay. In many ways, it's a smooth-sounding lush dialect of Spanish that incorporates a great deal of intonation of Italian -- Neopolitan Italian, to be specific. It is also one of the many things that characterize Buenos Aires as distinct from the rest of the Spanish-speaking world. And that, in my opinion, is a good thing, for one of the five primary rules of Linguistics is there are no superior or inferior languages, just different ones.

If you plan to visit Argentina for a few weeks / months and then travel extensively in South / Central America, México, and Spain arriving armed with the ability to speak, (or at least understand the basics of verb formation) for Iberian Spanish is extremely helpful. Before everyone jumps on me it is important to note that each Spanish-speaking country has at least one distinct, if not several, dialects. Argentina is not unique in this respect. However, speculate that if you did not already speak English but wanted to learn, would you prefer to speak and hear English as it is spoken in Great Britain, Central Canada, the "news broadcast" style pronunciation of American English, or would you rather learn to speak as though you're from rural Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia? One might also add Texas to that list of regional dialects – say, Midland or Odessa? Porteños, though not ALL Argentines, speak the Spanish equivalent of a southern, US accent. That is, they use the voseo form, (vosotros in Spain) almost exclusively whether speaking to one person or several people. In addition, Rioplatense has evolved its own rules for conjugating, spelling and pronouncing the second person plural familiar, which is far too complicated to explain here. Basically, learning Rioplatense Spanish is similar to using "why'all" in general conversation. I impart this information not out of disrespect for Porteños, but only to explain that on the most elemental level, that's one of the major differences you'll encounter when deciphering Rioplatense instead of the strong, marked dialect of urban México. It will also prepare you for several linguistic surprises as you listen, learn, and speak Spanish in BsAs.

A second glaring difference between Rioplatense and standardized Spanish is the substitution of a "sha" (voiced) or "j" (unvoiced) sound in place of the "why" sound in such worlds a lluvia (shuvia) llamar (shamar) ajer (ayer) etc. The "sha" sound lends itself to the aspiration or elision of fricatives and dropping the r sound in verb infinitives. In most of the Spanish speaking world such elisions of the final r is considered a sign of being uneducated. However, in the Southern Hemisphere this aspect of Rioplatense is recognized more as a unique accent marker spoken by Argentines and Uruguayans. It is also responsible for the more fluid sound of the dialect which many people regard as so suave and sensual. The problem occurs when trying to distinguish between "se cayo" (he fell) and "se calló" (he shut up or became silent) In standardized Spanish "cayo" is pronounced with a short why and "calló" is pronounced with a long why. In Rioplatense they are pronounced exactly the same, with a j or sha sound. So, be prepared to wrestle with the "yeismo" or blending of sounds represented by ll (the palatal lateral / ʎ / and why (historically the palatal approximate / j / which in Buenos Aires have fused into one. (Damn it, I tried not to be too technical, but I are [sic] a holder of a couple of them thar advanced degrees in Linguistics and Anthropology.

And for those of you who can't possibly stand reading any more: Rioplatense is unique enough from standard Spanish that it is viewed by many linguists to be rapidly evolving from the merging of late 19th Century criollo Spanish, (combination pidgin and patois versions of French / Italian / English with Castellano) to eventually become its own language. However, that phenomenon is not expected to occur for about another 100 years. Just observe the sinage on buses, billboards, all advertisements and anywhere the imperative is used as a warning or to grab your attention and you'll notice a big difference between Rioplatense and standard pedestrian Spanish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Hound

El Greco
07-13-06, 20:10
Read this.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940&highlight=GRECO

El Greco

Big Bob 7
07-13-06, 20:18
Maybe this should be its own thread but I am not sure. I am curious to know what the members have done to develop fluency in Castellano? I would especially like to hear from long term residents. Did going to a language school play a big role? Did you think that your language school experience was a big waste of money? Do you think that you learned a lot from hanging out with chicas? Who knows? Maybe it would be better to get a bargain rate for a bbbj / conversation session with a favorita and leave the language schools out of the loop.

Alan23
07-13-06, 20:44
Bob,

I would not depend on the chicas for language lessons! With one exception, I have found the chicas to have pretty bad language skills - evidenced by their sms spellings. It is shocking to me how all of these girls with children ever pass along the language to their children.

It is not that they are inpatient, but just don't understand what it takes to teach (pass along knowledge) I'm quite happy to pay for a good language school / teacher if I can find one. Also have misgivings about learning only Castellano - as I would like to be able to communicate effectively in the rest of the Spanish speaking world.

Yujin
07-15-06, 02:13
Maybe this should be its own thread but I am not sure.If you look under "General Information > Language Schools or Spanish Phrases," there's already an existing thread. It's real confusing when someone starts a new thread on an existing subject.

El Grandote
07-15-06, 05:26
Hound that was very impressive the way you examined and explained the dialect variations. I have been speaking Spanish for about 45 years and still have trouble keeping all the dialect straight. My Spanish sometimes comes out sounding Italian or some other form of Spanish. Anyway great job with the analysis report.

El G

Hound
07-15-06, 13:04
El Grandote.

Ah, I wish indeed that I could take credit for the body of that report. Way at the top I noted that it was from another forum that I read occassionally. I found it to be enlightening and thought others would enjoy it so I did a copy / paste. Sorry for the confusion.

Hound

Chascomus
11-05-06, 18:43
A friend from the U. S. Wants to come here to learn the language, culture, etc. She wants to stay in the city. Has anyone had any experiences?

Thanks for your help!

Exon123
11-05-06, 20:29
Yea have her stay at Cafe Excerda, what a foolish question for this forum.

Exon

Sky Ryder
11-06-06, 21:13
I went to this school on two occasions for three weeks at a time and was very pleased with the instruction. It is not the least expensive, but reasonably priced and I thought worth the money. You can P. M. For more details if you wish. I would and most likely will attend again in the future.

www.ilee.com.ar

El Greco
11-09-06, 00:06
A friend from the U. S. Wants to come here to learn the language, culture, etc. She wants to stay in the city. Has anyone had any experiences?

Thanks for your help!If you want inexpensive, try "I. E. S. Lenguas Vivas" at Carlos Pellegrini 1515 in BsAs, phone 54 11 4322 3992. Cost $400 pesos for 4 weeks, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week Mon-Fri 14:00-18:00.

I took the preliminary course last November. They are good. Later on December and January I was dating non pros in Colombia and could hold decent conversation for hours.

El Greco

WorldTravel69
03-24-07, 11:40
If anyone is interested in private lessons I will recommend this nice Profesora.

Laura Saslavsky.

156 370 2985

saslavsky@sinectis.com.ar

She speaks perfect English. She speaks it as good as me, because we both learned it in the same city. San Francisco.

Besides English she speaks a few others.

Flexible Horn
03-24-07, 15:44
She speaks perfect English. She speaks it as good as me, because we both learned it in the same city. San Francisco.I'm yet to meet any American who speaks perfect English, does one exist?

That includes you Daddy Rulz.

WorldTravel69
03-25-07, 11:42
Not that gibberish Queen's English you speak.

I'm yet to meet any American who speaks perfect English, does one exist?

That includes you Daddy Rulz.

Daddy Rulz
03-25-07, 13:17
I'm yet to meet any American who speaks perfect English, does one exist?

That includes you Daddy Rulz.Just because you have that cockinmouth accent and grew up listening to some damn bells doesn't make you an expert.

From the OXFORD dictionary.

SCREEN-a frame with fine wire netting used in a window or doorway to keep out flying insects.

WorldTravel69
04-18-07, 16:50
I have taken many classes in Spanish. I am still too hard headed to learn much, but these private Spanish lessons are really helping to better negotiate with the chicas. I find it nice when I have a problem she can explain it to me in English.

She was born and raised in Buenos Aires.

Besides S. F. Laura also went to school in New York to learn English. She teaches at many bars and restaurants.

She has credentials from many language schools.

She charges 50p for an hour and 15 minutes, but has sometimes gone past the time.
She uses course materials to fit your needs. If you want homework she will give you some. She realizes that you are on vacation so there is no pressure.

Her new email is saslavsky.l@gmail.com

If anyone is interested in private lessons I will recommend this nice Profesora.

Laura Saslavsky.

156 370 2985

saslavsky@sinectis. Com. Ar

She speaks perfect English. She speaks it as good as me, because we both learned it in the same city. San Francisco.

Besides English she speaks a few others.

Daddy Rulz
04-18-07, 17:41
But I also have a pretty good tutor. I wouldn't use her as a teacher as she has no course material. However if you want to work with somebody outside of lessons you may be taking she's great for that and at 20 pesos an hour a real bargain.

No she is not on the program.

SexMachine
06-06-07, 18:34
Hi guys.

I am planning on taking spanish lessons and considering the following schools for a 4 week intensive course -

1. I. E. S. Lenguas - Price is 450 Pesos. Best price but 12 students in a class.

2. BASI-Spanish - $ 360 with max. 4 students.

3. Estudio - $ 540 with max. 4 students.

4. ILBASS - $ 400 with Max. 3 students.

5. Buenos Aires Centre - $ 590 with max. 5 students.

6. Lucem - $ 540.00 with max. 4 students.

Has anybody ever taken any lessons from any of these schools? I can't decide which school to attend.

Any input on either of these schools or any other good school will be appreciated and I will see you guys soon.

SM

Yujin
06-07-07, 01:19
Four or five years ago, I attended IBL, but I took private lessons. http://www.ibl.com.ar/ingles/AB_AboutIbl.asp

The teacher was excellent.

Since you're going to be there for 4 weeks, you should wait until you get there to make a decision. The location and facilities are important. You don't want to sign up for a school that has excessive outside noise, e. G. Construction work and / or traffic. The school should also let you sit in on a class to see if you like it. Sometimes the vibs aren't right with the wrong teachers, wrong textbooks, wrong student mix, wrong everything. Don't feel pressured to sign up without checking out as many schools as you can. Whatever you do, don't pay in advance for more than a week. This gives you some flexibility to change schools.

Hi guys.

I am planning on taking spanish lessons and considering the following schools for a 4 week intensive course -

1. I. E. S. Lenguas - Price is 450 Pesos. Best price but 12 students in a class.

Has anybody ever taken any lessons from any of these schools? I can't decide which school to attend.

Any input on either of these schools or any other good school will be appreciated and I will see you guys soon.

SM

WorldTravel69
06-07-07, 04:17
Are you going to Argentina to learn Spanish or to have fun.

These courses are for those that do not know why they are going to B. A. All these classes are for learning Spanish only. Nothing wrong with that. But that means lots of studying and homework, no time for sseexx.

Private lessons can be geared to fit your plans, are the best way.

Mine worked fine, how else was I able to call and visit most of the Privados?

Thank You, Laura. I will return for more private Lessons. Oh, yes just lessons, sex is after class, but not with the teacher.

P.S. Thank you, Yujin. You said it. The right teacher and course related matter.

Hi guys.

SM

Jesse James
07-08-07, 02:42
Are you going to Argentina to learn Spanish or to have fun.

These courses are for those that do not know why they are going to B. A. All these classes are for learning Spanish only. Nothing wrong with that. But that means lots of studying and homework, no time for sseexx.

Private lessons can be geared to fit your plans, are the best way.

Mine worked fine, how else was I able to call and visit most of the Privados?

Thank You, Laura. I will return for more private Lessons. Oh, yes just lessons, sex is after class, but not with the teacher.

P. S. Thank you, Yujin. You said it. The right teacher and course related matter.Learning spanish gives you something to do between binge screwing.

WorldTravel69
07-08-07, 05:09
Great first post, but you are saying what?

Are you interested in Learning Spanish? And coming to B.A. to do both?

I think if I posted this I would just delete it, and try to post something more useful.

Learning spanish gives you something to do between binge screwing.

WorldTravel69
08-22-07, 16:55
Here is series called Destinos. It is from the College of San Mateo in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It is on Monday to Friday at 2pm Pacific Savings Time.

But you can watch online at this site.

http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

Orang05
09-29-07, 16:17
I apologize in advance if I am startiong a "new thread" when there is an "old thread" around on this subject somewhere in the forums. Sorry - I just could not find one.

In mid-October I'll be coming to B. A. For several months and am intent on -- among other things -- improving my conversational Castellano. I am probably classified as a "maybe-mid-level-beginner," having had some language experiences in Spanish-speaking countries over the years (including AR) having finished 2 of the Pimsleur (CD-based) courses and one-third of the Rosetta Spanish suite (DVD-based) and having had a private tutor [native speaker from Chile] in the US for 2 hours per week during this immediately-past summer. I have a pretty fair background in other romance languages, and can make my way through a general readership publication in Spanish [e. G. Newspaper, pop magazine] sufficiently well for my purposes. I really want instruction and direction on the general conversation end, the better to practice with and gain better language proficiency in my other be. A. Activities. Small classes (3-6) or ptrivate lessons 4-8 hours / week would be perfect.

Any of you gents have any suggestions or recommendations for this in Buenos Aires based on personal experience or trusted recommendations?

Gracias, obrigado e merci, senors!

WorldTravel69
09-30-07, 00:06
I took lessons from Laura, cell 156 370 2985 or home 4382
6031, and will continue next week when I get there.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940

I apologize in advance if I am startiong a "new thread" when there is an "old thread" around on this subject somewhere in the forums. Sorry - I just could not find one.

In mid-October I'll be coming to be. A. For several months and am intent on -- among other things -- improving my conversational Castellano. I am probably classified as a "maybe-mid-level-beginner," having had some language experiences in Spanish-speaking countries over the years (including AR) having finished 2 of the Pimsleur (CD-based) courses and one-third of the Rosetta Spanish suite (DVD-based) and having had a private tutor [native speaker from Chile] in the US for 2 hours per week during this immediately-past summer. I have a pretty fair background in other romance languages, and can make my way through a general readership publication in Spanish [e. G. Newspaper, pop magazine] sufficiently well for my purposes. I really want instruction and direction on the general conversation end, the better to practice with and gain better language proficiency in my other be. A. Activities. Small classes (3-6) or ptrivate lessons 4-8 hours / week would be perfect.

Any of you gents have any suggestions or recommendations for this in Buenos Aires based on personal experience or trusted recommendations?

Gracias, obrigado e merci, senors!

Xen2002
10-29-07, 07:36
Hi,

I am going to be coming to Buenos Aires for six months and am looking for a language school. My Spanish will be at about mid begginer and I'm looking to be able to speak to a decent level before I leave but don't need to be able to write or spell etc. Ideally I'm looking for a 4 week course for up to 4 hours a day with people around my age (23) bracket. Any recomendations? Thanks

Aqualung
10-29-07, 11:32
Hi I am going to be coming to Buenos Aires for six months and am looking for a language school. My Spanish will be at about mid begginer and I'm looking to be able to speak to a decent level before I leave but don't need to be able to write or spell etc. Ideally I'm looking for a 4 week course for up to 4 hours a day with people around my age (23) bracket. Any recomendations? ThanksA few of my clients have used this and were quiet satisfied:

http://www.spanish-time.com.ar/

Facundo
10-29-07, 13:49
Hi I am going to be coming to Buenos Aires for six months and am looking for a language school. My Spanish will be at about mid begginer and I'm looking to be able to speak to a decent level before I leave but don't need to be able to write or spell etc. Ideally I'm looking for a 4 week course for up to 4 hours a day with people around my age (23) bracket. Any recomendations? ThanksI think the best school to study castellano is the University of Buenos Aires. The courses are thought by profesors, are intensive, and inexpensive. I took seven one month intensive courses and feel I can speak and write as well as the locals. Also, you will be studying with mostly young females from the USA, Europe and Asia.

http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/extranjeros/espanol/extranjeros.htm

Suerte

Charbuck
10-30-07, 09:17
I think the best school to study castellano is the University of Buenos Aires.UBA is great and also a great value, but the courses run on a regular schedule like most universities. The previous semester began in August and is now ending and there will not be any summer classes until January, and even then sometimes you get locked out of classes. If you need flexibility, you'll have to use one of the private schools or a tutor. The price of the private schools can get pretty expensive and the quality varies. They also try to upsell you a lot with tours and tango shows and all that crap. Until such time as you can secure a spot at UBA, you might want to try the Buenos Aires Center:

http://www.buenosairescentre.com.ar

Or you might want to try the Club Cultural del Español en Buenos Aires:

http://www.vosbuenosaires.com/?lang=en

I don't think they represent a very good value, but if you can't wait a few months it might be worth it for you. You can also go for like a week and see if it's for you, and that doesn't necessarily represent a large investment.

Craigslist is also lousy with people offering tutoring:

http://buenosaires.craigslist.org/lss/

Xen2002
10-30-07, 12:57
Thanks guy for the recomendations. UBA sounds great as I will be arriving about the right time to start the courses.

Salving123
12-17-07, 23:16
If you want inexpensive, try "I. E. S. Lenguas Vivas" at Carlos Pellegrini 1515 in BsAs, phone 54 11 4322 3992. I cannot speak about the school from personal experience, but a friend told me the classes are "okay" and cost $400 pesos for 4 weeks, 4 hours per day, 5 days per week. Compared to other schools with high internet visibility, that is an excellent price point. The last time I checked, I. L. E. E. In BsAs was charging U$D 200 per week for the same number of hours of instruction.Hello - I tried calling that number, but got only Spanish replies, and hard to communicate knowing no Spanish!

If someone knows Spanish and can call the above number - I've a flyer that also says ask for extension 103/151 and that they are open 10AM to 8PM - I was told to call back in the afternoon though! - and find out exact dates for March class, would really appreciate it.

These guys have classes that start every month on a Monday - and they have a exam on a Wed before that.

So, the March 2008 class probably starts on Mar 3 or Mar 10, with placement test on Feb. 27 or Mar 5. If someone can confirm the exact date, would really appreciate it.

Facundo
12-18-07, 17:09
Hello - I tried calling that number, but got only Spanish replies, and hard to communicate knowing no Spanish!

If someone knows Spanish and can call the above number - I've a flyer that also says ask for extension 103/151 and that they are open 10AM to 8PM - I was told to call back in the afternoon though! - and find out exact dates for March class, would really appreciate it.

These guys have classes that start every month on a Monday - and they have a exam on a Wed before that.

So, the March 2008 class probably starts on Mar 3 or Mar 10, with placement test on Feb. 27 or Mar 5. If someone can confirm the exact date, would really appreciate it.Spoke with the woman who answered the telephone and she told me classes start the 3rd of March. However, she also told me, with an insecure voice, the placement test could be taken on the third of March.

Suerte.

Salving123
12-18-07, 22:02
Spoke with the woman who answered the telephone and she told me classes start the 3rd of March. However, she also told me, with an insecure voice, the placement test could be taken on the third of March.

Suerte.Muchas gracias! I suspect the placement test is actually the week before, so that would be Feb. 27. Though may not be necessary for those taking the Elementary Level course.

WorldTravel69
02-25-08, 04:41
New Video out.

Ladron.

Perfect for us Gringos.

LARDRON. Or To Rob A Thief.

Funny.

If you do not understand, Ask Laura, the profesora. See my posts. She loves Bailar (to dance!) She Speaks English better than you or I. She understands the English Queens English. Not the U. S.'s King's English. But I have been helping her with Our English.

Come on $16. For an hour and 15 min. Is cheap. No Pressure, she knows that you are in B. A. To party. She could be a Guide. cell 156 370 2985 or home 4382 6031.
Party while learning spanish.

saslavsky.l@gmail.com "Laura Saslavsky" <saslavsky.l@gmail.com>

WT69

Cruxifer
02-06-09, 22:38
Greetings gentlemen,

I have just moved to boring Chile, and need some intensive 1 on 1 language training. I would like to combine it with a trip to the famous BA. I'm not looking for the cheapest deal - quality is more important. I will also need some accommodation 2 - 17. May, in a place close to the action. Any recommendations?

Sinistra
02-06-09, 23:22
Greetings gentlemen,

I have just moved to boring Chile, and need some intensive 1 on 1 language training. I would like to combine it with a trip to the famous BA. I'm not looking for the cheapest deal - quality is more important. I will also need some accommodation 2 - 17. May, in a place close to the action. Any recommendations?She's great. And she's cute too. Just say you found her via Craigslist because I don't want to be responsible and you DON'T know any Italian guys.

http://www.aprendiendoespanol.com.ar/

Cruxifer
02-07-09, 15:56
She's great. And she's cute too. Just say you found her via Craigslist because I don't want to be responsible and you DON'T know any Italian guys.

http://www.aprendiendoespanol.com.ar/Thank you for the information, Sinistra. I will check it out.

:)

Modelo Vip
02-08-09, 03:01
I was a teacher of English and Spanish for foreigners before I was an "escort". I could combine both activities now and come up with the "language class with a happy ending".

Chiste

AllIWantIsLove
02-08-09, 10:11
You may be joking, but I think that's an excellent idea. You'd have the student's full attention and the student would be highly motivated. The Spanish I know best is the few expressions I use when with girls ("Ponte a cuatro patas.")

Bob

I was a teacher of English and Spanish for foreigners before I was an "escort". I could combine both activities now and come up with the "language class with a happy ending".

Chiste.

Cruxifer
02-08-09, 10:15

Chiste.Thats a very interesting idea, Chanel.

I'm looking for 30-40 hours / week for two weeks - language training that is ;)

If you are up for the challenge please send me a pb with your fee and details.

Sinistra
02-08-09, 16:42
Thats a very interesting idea, Chanel.I'd read her section through here on AP first. Of course, you could always try a few lessons and then see how it goes.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5211

Esten
02-08-09, 17:15
I like the idea also, spanish lessons and sex. You could have 45 minutes of lessons and then a 15 minute blowjob to finish. But I hope it would be at a discounted rate from the standard full hour escort rate.

You could build in some incentives too. For example, the student has to conjugate three new verbs by memory and correctly, by the end of the lesson. If he gets it right he gets the blowjob, but if he can't get it right he just gets a handjob. That could be a very distracting type of spanish lesson. But fun as well.

Cruxifer
02-08-09, 18:00
I like the idea also, spanish lessons and sex. You could have 45 minutes of lessons and then a 15 minute blowjob to finish. But I hope it would be at a discounted rate from the standard full hour escort rate.

You could build in some incentives too. For example, the student has to conjugate three new verbs by memory and correctly, by the end of the lesson. If he gets it right he gets the blowjob, but if he can't get it right he just gets a handjob. That could be a very distracting type of spanish lesson. But fun as well.Hey, I'm not 18 anymore.:D.

That would amount to a significant number of BJs and HJs during a two week period.

SunSeeker
06-23-12, 22:32
Anyone have any recommendations for spanish lessons in BA? I think I need something more "structured" than the Pimsleur I have been using. A specific time / place for the lessons as something always seems to come up when it is study time in the apartment jajaja

Gato Hunter
06-23-12, 23:00
I learned almost all my castellano from chicas after fucking.

SunSeeker
06-24-12, 00:31
I learned almost all my castellano from chicas after fucking.I can give that a try. She's on her way, with pizza!

Big Boss Man
06-24-12, 00:32
Anyone have any recommendations for spanish lessons in BA? I think I need something more "structured" than the Pimsleur I have been using. A specific time / place for the lessons as something always seems to come up when it is study time in the apartment jajajaI forget her name but she offered to give me Spanish lessons. I was thinking of taking up her offer when I return. She is a year away from getting her degree in linguistics and she says she has tutoring experience. She is quite intelligent and can converse about books, travel and playing guitar at least when I was with her. Way beyond the average chica I met. Of course, things could "come up" when you are with her so you may face the same old problem. I'm laughing to myself because the situation reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry was banging his maid. I can see it now.

TejanoLibre
06-24-12, 00:34
New Video out.

Ladron.

Perfect for us Gringos.

LARDRON. Or To Rob A Thief.

Funny.

If you do not understand, Ask Laura, the profesora. See my posts. She loves Bailar (to dance!) She Speaks English better than you or I. She understands the English Queens English. Not the USA's King's English. But I have been helping her with Our English.

Come on $16. For an hour and 15 min. Is cheap. No Pressure, she knows that you are in B. A. To party. She could be a Guide. Cell 156 370 2985 or home 4382 6031.

Party while learning spanish.

saslavsky.l@gmail.com "Laura Saslavsky" <saslavsky.l@gmail.com

WT69I have known Laura for about 7 years and I can highly recommend her as a Spanish teacher, one on one and as someone that you can take to dinner etc.

No happy endings for you though!

Her rates have changed I'm certain because this is an old post and she may be too busy to take on any new students but you should contact her and tell her Hello, from Ramiro.

Thanks,

TL.

What a busy week for the "A" list girls!

El Perro
06-24-12, 02:08
I'm laughing to myself because the situation reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Jerry was banging his maid. I can see it now.Whoa, got to give George his due. Georgie was the one banging the maid.

Tequila Tim
06-24-12, 02:28
Whoa, got to give George his due. Georgie was the one banging the maid.I remember the maid, she was from Panama and was entralled by the cashmer sweater that George gave her. Until the stain was notice. Then all hell broke loose. She was hot though!

Sportsman
06-24-12, 05:18
Whoa, got to give George his due. Georgie was the one banging the maid.George banged the cleaning lady from his office in the episdoe Tequila Tim described. Jerry had a maid whom became his girlfriend. She made his bed and then took a nap in it.

SunSeeker
06-24-12, 10:24
Thanks for all the info guys. I will have to check them out. I never got into Seinfeld so I don't know the episode but got a good laugh when it popped into my head as I was reading the posts.

I had read the post about Laura but didn't know if it was still valid due to it's age. Happy ending not required LOL. Thanks for the update on her TL.

Talking with the chica last night was good but the dictionary certainly came in handy! I'm using Pimsleur right now but it is mostly conversations and doesn't start at the basics, alphabet, numbers, days, months etc. I find I keep falling into my portuguese when I can't come up with the word I am looking for. And of course I can't understand worth shit! LOL.

The language schools here are all around $195 USD per 20 hour week and the chica from last night is going to check UBA for me on Monday.

And the pizza last night was, ok. Filled the pit LOL.

Tequila Tim
06-24-12, 10:46
Sunseeker,

Pimsleur is a great way of improving pronunciation but you need to invest in a Spanish grammer book to learn the various conjugations. There's no "miracle" learning method IMHO. Hard work=progress, it's that simple. There is a good school on Las Heras between Ayachucho and Junin that I attended once. Morning classroom sessions followed by practice sessions about town in restaurants, etc. Instructors were hotties as I recall. If you're serious PM me and I'll try to dig up the details.

Good Luck!

TT

El Perro
06-24-12, 13:22
George banged the cleaning lady from his office in the episdoe Tequila Tim described. Jerry had a maid whom became his girlfriend. She made his bed and then took a nap in it.I stand corrected! Jerry banged a maid? Very un-Jerry like. He seemed to be more into JAPS and uppity shiksas.

WorldTravel69
06-24-12, 14:19
Laura, the profesora. She Speaks English.

No Pressure. Cell 156 370 2985 or home 4382 6031.

saslavsky.l@gmail.com "Laura Saslavsky" <saslavsky.l@gmail.com

Sunseeker,

Pimsleur is a great way of improving pronunciation but you need to invest in a Spanish grammer book to learn the various conjugations. There's no "miracle" learning method IMHO. Hard work=progress, it's that simple. There is a good school on Las Heras between Ayachucho and Junin that I attended once. Morning classroom sessions followed by practice sessions about town in restaurants, etc. Instructors were hotties as I recall. If you're serious PM me and I'll try to dig up the details.

Good Luck!

TT

Sportsman
06-24-12, 15:41
I stand corrected! Jerry banged a maid? Very un-Jerry like. He seemed to be more into JAPS and uppity shiksas.You're right about Jerry. This is his maid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUrXnQi-pM

El Perro
06-24-12, 15:54
You're right about Jerry. This is his maid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUrXnQi-pMThanks Sportsman! I must have missed that episode!

WhiteCat
06-24-12, 19:02
I grew up speaking Spanish and English so I do have an advantage. It amazes me that anyone goes to a country 10x and comes back with a vocabulary that consists of 12 words, 10 of which relate to the hobby. Get involved with a school, take a class, hire a tutor. It pays for itself. You'll get involved with a different kind of chica and you'll find you use your head instead of your wallet to get the chicas. You'll also be able to stay away from the English speaking women who charge 850AR (plus taxi). The biggest advantage I've found on speaking the lingo is that you can get outside the Gringo Circle when you want. For instance, I have not visited Madaho's in the last 4-5 visits even though it was 300 feet from my apt. I find this unadvertised tier of chicas/pussy a better option.

Canardly
06-25-12, 14:34
Best way to learn is 24/7 with a chica who doesn't speak a word of english. And you commit not to speak english or listen to english spoken until you are satisfied with your spanish.

It's about motivation. You REALLY want to enjoy effective communication so you pick it up very quickly.

Shawman
06-28-14, 23:15
Guys, what I have been using like a charm is a professional translator program for my android phone called "prompt translator". I got the paid version because it is fully downloaded to your phone and it is offline. That way you do not need a data signal in order to use it.

Tres3
06-29-14, 13:46
If you can tell a chika how you you like your BBBJ in Spanish, you are bilingual.

Tres3.

Shawman
06-29-14, 14:11
If you can tell a chika how you you like your BBBJ in Spanish, you are bilingual.

Tres3.Chulpame mamasita! . But my Spanish is the only thing that sucks! LOL.

BayBoy
02-27-16, 15:29
On my recent trip to Buenos Aires I had 2 Spanish class lessons from Laura Saslavsky. Good classes, I learned a lot of new Spanish words and also Argentine Spanish too. We had conversational speaking classes; no grammar, punctuation or spelling. Just speaking. Some of the subjects we hit: politics, Juan and Evita Peron, Macri, the Subte, McDonalds, tourists, people in general etc. They were good classes, got some important info about BA, and it was fun. She lives on Rivadavia St. Its 250 pesos per hour. Phone: 156 370 2985.

WorldTravel69
02-28-16, 13:31
I had dinner with her on my last night there last week. We get together for dinner when I am in town.

I had taken a few classes from her in the past. But, not lately. I am too lazy.

She has been a translator in New York and San Francisco.

She is a friend of TLs.

Her prices for returning students are 250p an hour, for new students it is 300p an hour.

She prefers that you to email her and not call her first. saslavsky.l@gmail.com.

On my recent trip to Buenos Aires I had 2 Spanish class lessons from Laura Saslavsky. Good classes, I learned a lot of new Spanish words and also Argentine Spanish too. We had conversational speaking classes; no grammar, punctuation or spelling. Just speaking. Some of the subjects we hit: politics, Juan and Evita Peron, Macri, the Subte, McDonalds, tourists, people in general etc. They were good classes, got some important info about BA, and it was fun. She lives on Rivadavia St. Its 250 pesos per hour. Phone: 156 370 2985.