PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Restaurant Reports

Jackson
04-27-03, 12:21
Please select "Add New Report" to start this section.

OttoGraham
04-27-03, 14:55
Welcome to Uncle Otto's Chez Argentina!

Foodie that I am, and knowing many of you are looking for good places to eat while in Buenos Aires, I asked our man Jackson to open up a separate section for Buenos Aires Restaurants and Bars. It's my hope that visitors to our fair city can break free from the "Recoleta Restaurant Row" habit and sample many of the great restaurants and bars that make BsAs such a great place to visit.

Below I've cut and pasted some personal recommendations from one of my former posts. Feel free to share!

Dining

Your Uncle Otto fancies himself an epicurean. Thus, the highlights of his trips to any destination are finding terrific restaurants for a nice dinner with a lovely companion. Simply stated, Buenos Aires is a meat-eaters paradise. But there are other options to be had, too! Some suggestions:

1800, 1665 Defensa, San Telmo, tel. 4307-2746. A terrific, old-fashioned BsAs parrilla, a meal with wine and several courses of half-orders of dishes came to a grand total of 28 pesos. I was astonished at how inexpensive it was for a restaurant where almost everything is home made, including the pasta and the limoncello.

Dashi, Fitz Roy 1613, Palermo Hollywood, tel. 4776-3500. An excellent Japanese restaurant with excellent sushi and other dishes. I've eaten here on each of my most recent trips and found it outstanding. Per person with wine ~ 60 pesos.

El Mirasol (3 locations, including Puerto Madero). I usually dine at the branch found at 1032 Posadas (intersection with 9th of July Avenue), Recova, 4326-7322. Modern parrilla, to be contrasted in decor and style with 1800, although excellent in its own right. Per person with wine ~ 60 pesos.

Next to El Mirasol on Posadas are two excellent restaurants called Piegari, (both under the same management) one of them is also a parrilla, the other an excellent Italian restaurant. I've eaten at both and also highly recommend them.

For a "splurge," try the Sofitel Hotel's new restaurant, called Le Sud. Arroyo 841, Retiro, tel. 4909-1454. Elegant and more expensive than the other restaurants listed here ~ 85-100 pesos a person for terrific French-inspired food in an elegant surrounding. Dress neatly please - no t-shirts or blue jeans. I really liked this place, and on a price versus quality measure, it's a bargain! A place like this in New York would run you US$200+ a person for dinner. They occasionally have "theme" nights, this such as a recent chamber-music concert accompanied with a prix fixe five-course dinner for about 160 pesos if memory serves correctly.

A lunch recommendation: Patagonia, in the food court of the Galeria Pacifico mall, on Florida Street in downtown. It has excellent luncheon plates, quiches, and local micro-brewed beers, in a decor reminiscent of southern Argentina.

Bon Appetit!

-Uncle Otto

JackDaniels
04-27-03, 15:44
I am just copying over my post from the BsAs board.....

On the subject of food and drink - there is a really smart bar called Gran Bar Danzon on Libertad just moments off Santa Fe. It is not on street level but on the first floor (American second floor) up a staircase. It is not easy to see the entrance from the street.

This is a really smart bar full of beautiful people (no providers here). Excellent wine, great sushi and the best spring rolls I have had anywhere.

A couple of glasses of wine, sushi and spring rolls should not be more than about 60 pesos.

Anyone else been there ?

Cheers.

Ferolga777
04-27-03, 23:46
Thanks to Otto and, of course, Jackson for this category.
This is my short list of restaurants in BsAs that I find worthy of recommendation.

1. Tomo 1
I found it mentioned at www.economist.com. It's an expensive place, but, it's a first class establishment. The manager speaks English.

http://www.tomo1.com.ar/

Hotel Crowne Plaza Panamericano
Carlos Pellegrini 525 - EP
(1009) Buenos Aires
Argentina Tel: (54-11) 4326-6698
TelFax: (54-11) 4326-6695
info-tomo1@tomo1.com.ar

2. Restaurante Errazuriz

This cozy restaurant is located on the grounds of the Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo. Their steak in wine sauce is superb. Cash only.
Its hours are from 12.00 a 19.00. [12 pm to 7 pm]
phone 4806-8639.

http://www.mnad.org/

Address: Avenida Del Libertador 1902
[corner of Pereyra Lucena]
(Palermo Chico)
Capital Federal, Buenos Aires 1425

3. Chiquilín

Excellently prepared traditional Argentine food. You can have a beef dish, or, you can have a pasta dish. In Argentina the tomatoes are superb, so, you can have that too.

Sarmiento 1599 (Centro) At Corner of Montevideo.
Telephone 4373-5163

[As far as other places to go, The Time Out Guide: Buenos Aires is an excellent guide.]

Andres
04-28-03, 02:51
I second the recommendation of Ferolga: Tomo 1 is the best Argentine traditional restaurant in Buenos Aires.

For French food, I heard that La Bourgogne in Alvear Hotel ranks among the best in BA. It is, perhaps, the most expensive restaurant in BA, though.

As I mentioned in ohter posts, some neighborhoods of the city host different styles:

- The "Las Cañitas" zone near the polo field in palermo hosts many parrillas and pasta houses (and a couple of good German restaurantas as one called "Bodensee"). I remember a very good Thai restaurant called Lotus Neo Thai, at 1800 J Newbury St.

- The San Cristobal restaurant zone (Venezuela St and San Jose St area) host some good Italian and Spaniard restaurants: Prosciutto, Plaza Mayor, Campo dei Fiori. I really recommend Prosciutto.

- Don't miss the Rodizio at the Costanera or the one at Callao Av and Juncal St. Don't expect to "hobby" after such "meat feast" :-)

- The Old Palermo area near "La Placita" (Cortazar Square in Serrano St and Honduras St) has many "new wave", trendy restaurants and bars of Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, add-your-own-country food.

- A VERY good mexican restaurant is (or was) Frida Kahlo, located in Ciudad de la Paz 3100-3200. It used to be expensive but really superb. Nice Margaritas and Cuban Mojitos, also.

- The area aroound Avenida de Mayo host several Spaniard restaurants, among them La Casa del Jamón, El Globo and El Imperial. I recommend El Globo for a good "puchero" (a dish made of boned-beef and vegetables that became a classic in the Argentine homes, specially for winter).

There are many, many more to recommend. I suggest to buy a "Guia de los Restaurantes", as the one by Fernando Vidal Buzzi, in any bookstore of Florida St.

Hope this helps,

Andres

MeGustaBoliches
04-29-03, 09:30
Andres,

Isn't "Globo" slang in Argentina for a condom? I gotta go to this condom restaurant...and try "puchero".....hehehe

DownBA
04-30-03, 22:45
Andres,

Thanks for the great restaurant reviews. I want to add two great restaurants to the list with your help since I can't remember the name of one of them. At the old Hipodromo, Andres, I ate at a restaurant that once was literally one of the stables and inside they still had the stall doors and there were tables separated by the old stall doors. This was a parillada restuarant with the regular Italian pastas and Pollos al verdeos, etc., that you so commonly see around Buenos Aires, but this one was really unusual since it was formerly a stable. Do you remember the name of this one? The food was excellent here, the ambience great with flowers all over the place and they had a tremendous wine list as well.

The second one is Rio Alba in Palermo, just down the street from Hotel Cristoforo Colombo. When I first ate there lots of the hotel workers recommended this place as one of the best parilla restaurants in Buenos Aires and I recommend it highly too. It's a few blocks away from a Jumbo store which is another French owned Walmart type store where they easily have 60 cashiers, all cuties wearing nylons and short skirts while they check your merchandise out. DownBA

Andres
05-01-03, 01:40
DownBA:

1) The restaurant at the Hipódromo was facing Libertador Av. or inside the Hipodromo facilities? I guess that I saw its name in the F. Vidal Bussi guide, and perhaps is one of those who belong to the local cheff Francis Malmann.

2) Rio Alba... a GREAT place, my favorite to bring girls to eat parrillas. Cerviño Av and Oro St, 2 blocks from the American embassy. I remember having eaten a 2 people parrillada, 1 serving of salad, 2 servings of fries, flan, coffee and limoncello for ar$50. The problem is that, after a couple of years living in the States, I lost the enzimes that digest such a good meat. Now, I need an ambulance after a parrillada...

Hope this helps

Andres

MiddleAgeGuy
05-01-03, 11:54
Great Restaurante reviews. I will be near the Rio Alba late next week and will take up your recommendation in this area which is a bit out of the way from the ussual.
Can someone help me with a location/name of the following? 2 years ago, I went to a New York Italian place off 9 de julio down one of the avenues. Had a New Yorkish kind of name, a fresco of the Brooklyn bridge or something inside. They had the best calamari I have ever had; large pieces smoothered in butter and garlic. Have not had the time to find it since.
I doubt it is too chica friendly, but for those off days, or after partaking in a fine bottle of American high test Listerine, it can work.
Jackson and others, hope to see you sometime on the May 19 week when I return from the provinces. I will keep a look out for who is around.
Thanks,
middleageguy

Andres
05-01-03, 12:08
middleageguy:

You are talking about Broccolino, located at Esmeralda St between Viamonte St and Cordoba Av.

Hope this helps,

Andres

DownBA
05-01-03, 14:26
Andres, the Hipodromo facing Libertador is the new one I believe or maybe I'm mixing up which one is the new one and the old one but I can tell you that this restaurant is nowhere near the Hipodromo on Libertador, it's near another one far away from the Libertador one. Sorry I can't recall the name because it's really a restaurant that I highly recommend and one that would be great to take a nice chica to. If you think of it let me know as I'd like to go there myself my next time in BA. Thanks, DownBA

Andres
05-01-03, 15:42
DownBA:

You may be talking about the San Isidro racetrack. As far as I know, there are only 3 big racetracks in the BA area: Buenos Aires-Palermo, San Isidro and La Plata.

Anyway...

Another restaurant that I mentioned several months ago and that deserves to be mentioned again is Nihonbashi, located at Moreno St near Rincon St. The perfect place to bring a "geisha" for an afterwards "tea ceremony"...

From my point of view, the best Japanese restaurant in BA: Each table is a tatami isolated form the other ambiences by sice-paper walls, and decorated with Shogun swords and other Japanese handcrafts.

I remember having eaten soem nice vegetable/tofu entrees, its main dish (Shabu Shabu: you cook your emat and vegetables in a Swiss-stile marmite with boiling water, which builds as a broth for cooking noodles), seasoned with abundant sake and aduki jelly dessert. Very expensive (US$160 for 4 persons) but its'really worth a visit. Many japanese embassy employees come often.

Hope this helps,

Andres

OttoGraham
05-01-03, 16:58
Andres mentions the San Isidro race track in his post, this reminded me of another good restaurant recommedation:

Villa Hipica, also known as the Jockey Club, which is by the racetrack, address is Diego Carman 222, San Isidro. Tel. is 4763-5533.

French cuisine (the roasted quail is excellent), also with the requisite Argentine grilled meat selection. A great place to eat in connection with a day of wagering the ponies.

Since the San Isidro track is about 15 miles from downtown BA, you'll probably need to have a remis bring you here, it's a good idea to have transportation arranged by your hotel concierge. English-speaking staff at the restaurant can arrange a return taxi ride as well.

-Uncle Otto
Your maitre 'd

Guillermo
05-01-03, 17:09
Sounds as if the sex in BA may be almost as good as the food. ;-)

MeGustaBoliches
05-01-03, 17:18
Originally posted by Guillermo
Sounds as if the sex in BA may be almost as good as the food. ;-)

Guillermo: both are world class but after making my way through the list of restaurants provided here, I may change my screen name to megustaparillas.....

Amantelondres
05-05-03, 12:30
As one who enjoys his food I can strongly recommend the following:

El Desnivel:In San Telmo in Defensa street near Independencia junction. Doesn`t look much from outside but trust me, terriffic food, mainly parrilla but others too. Gets very crowded and used by many airline crews who know how to search out a good deal. Meal for three cost 60 pesos and that included a good wine, water which accounted for 20 pesos. The bife de lomo was big enough for two and that´s saying something coming from me!!

Sucre: An "in" place in Sucre street in Belgano ( they also own the Gran Bar Danzon in Libertad 1161.) Very big, spacious, modern with a very long bar. Good place to take your favourite chica as it´s the place to be seen!!

Oviedo, in Ecuador street, is a classic Spanish restaurant in the Barrio Norte. Excellent food and wine. Good atmosphere.

Piegari, the restaurant as opposed to the grill in the Recova has been reviewed and I think it is a great place. Gets very full and the portions are fantastic. They will even give you a doggy bag to take the leftovers home!

Buen provecho...now off to see Wendy of Platynum...a great favourite of mine...have her as your desert!!!

Leo
05-12-03, 13:04
anyone know if they allow corkage in b.a.?

i'd love to bring back my 6 bottle allotment on my upcoming trip, but i want to try bottles before buying 2-4 of any one of them... thus it would be good to be allowed to bring a bottle into a restaurant.

thanks!

OttoGraham
05-12-03, 13:28
Leo, I'm not sure where you're from. And I've never heard of any BsAs restaurant allowing you to bring in your own wine. But I suppose it is possible, especially if you call to ask beforehand.

However, if you like Argentine wines a lot, let me tell you what I've done when returning to the USA with wines from Europe - I simply declare them on my customs form. You are allowed to bring back as much as you could reasonably carry, you just have to declare them and pay the excise tax, if any. There is NO problem with doing this. You will NOT get in trouble for bringing more than the "limit" into the U.S. You simply have to pay the tax, which is minimal.

I brought back two cases of wine (24 bottles) from Europe a while back, the total excise tax was US$5.00. Bring your receipt to show the value of the wine of course. I didn't need one, but it can be useful if they ask. Taxes are calculated on the prices paid for the wine.

This is a great way to stock up, very cheaply, on good wines you probably won't be able to find at home in most any wine shop.

-Uncle Otto

Guillermo
05-12-03, 22:52
Originally posted by OttoGraham
You are allowed to bring back as much as you could reasonably carry. . .

Tio Otto,

Not sure what you're saying. Did you hand carry 2 cases of wine?
Or did you check them along with the rest of the baggage and cross your fingers they would arrive at the other end?

Thanks,

Guillermo

DownBA
05-13-03, 08:54
Guillermo,

Last November I brought back 22 bottles of wine all nicely packed in wine boxes by the fellow in the nice wine store around the corne from the Etoile on Quintanas and the first intersection behind the Etoile (Alvear possibly) and I didn't have a lick of trouble except you have to try to distribute the weight of the boxes evenly in your suitcases to avoid paying an excess weight fine with the airlines. As Otto said, I declared the wines since the total of what I paid came to about $100.00 US (and these were all very, very, good wines) and nobody even blinked back in the states. DownBA

Leo
05-13-03, 09:45
you're correct in your amazement in why one might want to bring bottles of wine into argentina - i certainly wouldn't!

please allow me to provide more definition of what i mean by "corkage", which is a common practice at finer restaurants in the u.s.

you pay a small fee, currently $10 or $20 in the u.s., to bring each bottle to the restaurant, to be sure that you'll have a bottle that meets your tastes available. not all nice restaurants have exactly what you want on the winelist (well aged and quality controlled, specific region, specific verital). often it's customary to offer a glass to the chef.

my plan would be to select from a wine store (like near etoille, or i know good ones on at puerrydon/juncal or one on junin or uribururu near peña) maybe 4-5 bottles that i may wish to bring back to the u.s. and try one of each of them during my 4-5 days there, confirmed which i like and don't, before committing to bringing back quantities of any.

thus, i'm asking if finer ristorantes in b.a. allow you to bring your bottle of just locally-bought wine with you, and pay a small fee like ar$5 maybe.

OttoGraham
05-13-03, 12:07
Guillermo,

I usually stuff a case of wine or more into a carry-on. Remember that in BA, as well, you'll be able to bring two carryons, I've never seen anybody confronted about hand baggage.

Also, DownBA is right, packing boxes will protect wine completely.

I wouldn't suggest bringing back two boxes of the usual mediocre wine, but something that offers really good value for money. Personally, that usually means sparkling wines and dessert wines brought back from Europe. I've never tried to bring back more than a couple of bottles from Argentina. The standard malbec reds, etc... aren't so special that I need to import a couple of cases.

OTOH, I do like very much the Baron B series of sparkling wines, and they do represent an excellent value, able to be gotten for about AR30 a bottle or less, when a comparable bottle here would be US$25 or more.

There are several wine bars in Buenos Aires that will allow you to try a great variety of wines, one of the best I visited was a place called Winery which is on Alem, just across the street from the two tall skyscrapers next to Puerto Madero - if you go to BsAs you'll know where I mean. Nice place, highly recommended.

-Uncle Otto

Guillermo
05-13-03, 13:36
Thanks guys,

Let's see.... wine, food, clothes, shoes, and ..... what was the other reason we wanted to go the BA?

Oh yeah, women!

MeGustaBoliches
05-15-03, 23:08
Hey Uncle Otto, based on your reccomendation I took a group of work mates to 1880 Parilla......all I can say is wow...I impressed my compadres while enjoying one of the finest steaks <i have eaver eaten.....

....the total bill for the 4 of us came to less than 80 pesos....80 pesos for 4 steak dinners, wine, coffee, and lemoncello....

Any fool can find Cabana las Lilas or el Mirasol....but I have not found 1880 listed in any guide book apart from uncle otto´s guide....

gracias, gracias, gracias.....

more to come as i eat my way through Buenos Aires....

MeGustaBoliches
05-17-03, 17:13
Here is a great seafood and traditional Argentine fare restaurant in Retiro, very near downtown and several boliches....

Dora. Leandro N Alem 1019 y Marcelo T. Alvear. Seafood & Argentino cuisine.

Good seafood is not easy to find in a city known for its beef. Dora is an exception. Shrimp Dora is a superb dish, tender shrimp swimming in a sauce that marries fish stock and a rich cream sauce with just a touch of saffron. The cheese sampler appetizer includes a butter smooth roquefort among several other pleasing cheeses that were unfamiliar to me.....a 15 year old red blended wine from bodega de Lopez was a perfect, albeit pricey at 85 pesos per bottle, companion for the cheese....
top it off with an icecream that is half dulce de leche and half liquer flavored, washed down with a cafe cortado....

At $25 dollars each, our meal was much more expensive than sex with a Clarin girl....and more satisfying......

I love Argentina...

Andres
05-17-03, 17:34
Very close to Dora (at the corner of Paraguay and Reconquista, next to the boliches) is located Morizono, a West Coast style Japanese restaurant. It used to be slightly expxensive, but the food was supreme. I remember having ordered a kind of teishoku dish made of salmon that really rocked.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Andres
05-24-03, 00:21
Tonight, I feasted like a beast with my family at "La Brigada" (Peña St and Pueyrredon Av), an upscale parrilla.

We ordered mollejas (cow spleen), fries, house special salad, two bifes de chorizo and one buffalo beef, all irrigated with a San Telmo Syrah. Service is superb and the ambience quiet and cozy (patrons average 40 years old). We ordered small desserts (custard and cooked apples). All for ar$40 each.

Hope this helps,

Andres

DownBA
05-24-03, 19:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andres

We ordered mollejas (cow spleen),

Andres, disculpáme por favor, but I have to play the highly unusual part of being an American gringo correcting an Argentinian native on one of the best parts of Argentinian cuisine: mollejas. I eat them like they're going out of style while in Argentina and here in the greater NYC area (they're plentiful in this area, by the way). Mollejas are sweetbreads and sweetbreads are not the cow spleen, they're from the thymus gland of a cow and unless I'm mistaken the thymus gland is in the neck of the cow, not in the torso.

Very high in cholesterol from what even Argentinians tell me but I can't get enough of mollejas, I'm totally hooked. If any of you gringo visitors haven't tried them barbequed yet I highly recommend them. Try them with lemon juice or chimichuri or just pop them in your mouth plain and I dare you not to say "mmmmmm".

OttoGraham
05-24-03, 20:11
MeGusta,

I just saw your post that you found 1800! It is terrific, isn't it? I knew I had to share this gem of a place. 1665 Defensa, San Telmo is the address.

DownBA,

I'm glad you called sweetbreads by their given name here, I think "cow spleen" isn't so appetizing, even if the words come out of a Spanish-English dictionary! ;)

By the way, I was at my (relatively inexpensive) local butcher today buying steaks for a Memorial Day cookout, and guess what they're charging for sweetbreads - US$10 a fecking pound! Eat as many as you can in Argentina, my friend!

Don't worry about their health qualities - high cholesterol foods don't necessarily raise your cholesterol. Or so says the late, great Dr. Atkins!

-Uncle Otto

Dickhead
05-24-03, 20:29
From a culinary standpoint, sweetbreads can be either thymus gland, pancreas, or both. Pancreas is thought by many to be more desirable, known as "heart" or "kernel" sweetbreads. Thymus is known as "throat" sweetbreads; these are much thinner. Although many vertebrates have these organs, normally in finer cooking only calf and lamb sweetbreads are used.

Hope this helps.

DownBA
05-24-03, 21:17
Uncle Otto,

Now we're in the most intersting linguistic area where you find that every Latin American nation has their own words for things and also where you find that dictionaries vary widely in their definitions - Argentinians say "living" for "living room", "palta" is used in the north for "avocado". This list is practically interminable and especially prevalent in sex and food talk.

Tell an Argentinian "vamos a la juerga" and you'll get a blank stare and a "huh?" but beyond a doubt, when you order "mollejas" in the typical parilla restaurant in BA or anywhere throughout the Miami or Greater NYC area you get the mollejas from the neck of a cow. Ditto with Uruguayan restaurants. If you order "corazon de mollejas" in BA you get a much fatter, jucier piece but I'm not sure this isn't just a different cut from the same part of the cow the neck mollejas come from. But cow spleen, no lo creo.

I just checked two Spanish-English dictionaries myself - the time-honored Cassell's, which said nothing about cow's spleen but did mention "sweetbreads" and Miriam-Webster's which simply defines molleja as "gizzard".

Dickhead, "haute cuisine" really doesn't have much to do with BA mollejas....BA's about slapping a blanched piece of cow thymus on a grill, sprinkling it lightly with salt and letting it get browned, then popping it in your mouth and moaning delight! Ask a BA asadero to tell you where his mollejas come from and he's going to point to the neck. DownBA

Dickhead
05-24-03, 21:40
Then I am betting that "corazón de mollejas" is the pancreas and just plain mollejas is thymus. I don't like organ meat, or much of any meat any more, but I will have one of my minions order some when I am down there and make a full report. I do know my sweetbreads, though, and normally blanch them in water with a little lemon juice, shock them in ice water to stop the blanching, and then braise them. That's for pancreas. For thymus it is not as necessary to blanch them first, although I often do; just for five minutes instead of fifteen. Definitely if you are going grill them, I would think thymus would be better. Grill the thymus and blanch the pancreas ...

I think I'd rather have some merluza right now.

I meant to write: "Grill the thymus and braise the pancreas." DH

DownBA
05-24-03, 22:13
Dickhead, yes, I think you're right about the "corazon de mollejas" being from the pancreas because I did a quick search in Google and one article said that "hearts of sweetbread" come from the pancreas. The same article, by the way, said you should blanche the thymus ones too.

I don't care where "corazon de mollejas" comes from - they're AWESOME!! And they definitely do grill them as they do the neck ones in the BA parillas. Try them next time in BA if you haven't....they melt in your mouth. DownBA

Saint
05-26-03, 19:19
A great new restaurant that we all went to was called Dominga in Palermo Hollywood. It's a trendy spot right now. I really liked it and the restaurant was full all night. We were there several hours. It's not expensive either. Most tables had 2-4 people but we had about 4 tables pushed together and at least 16 people. The menu isn't the typical menu in BA. Kind of ecclectic menu that ranged from Rib Eye with potatoes to Sushi.

It was nice to try a new place outside of Recoleta or Puerto Madero. The address is Honduras 5618. The phone number is 4771-4443. Reservations are recommended.

Good luck.

DownBA
05-28-03, 00:55
Dickhead, I checked with my Argentinian friend about "corazon de mollejas" and he told me it's just a different cut of the same part of the neck of a calf - closer to the center of this part of the animal, but by no means is "corazon de mollejas" from the pancreas. Nor is it even remotely related to the cow's spleen as Andres suggested. DownBA

Saint
05-28-03, 20:31
DownBA. I'm not sure about the "corazon de mollejas" nor do I care since I would never eat it but it's funny how you wrote that "you checked with your Argentinian friend" especially since Andres is a native Porteno. It doesn't get much more Argentinian than that.... ha, ha.

DownBA
05-29-03, 01:40
Originally posted by saint
DownBA. I'm not sure about the "corazon de mollejas" nor do I care since I would never eat it but it's funny how you wrote that "you checked with your Argentinian friend" especially since Andres is a native Porteno. It doesn't get much more Argentinian than that.... ha, ha. Saint - I'm surprised at you for saying you'd never eat them - seems like you've adapted to so many other things in BA and virtually adopted BA as your second home - happens that mollejas are some of the best things about Argentina right up there with Argentinian women, beef and soccer; they're unbelievably good and you'd probably love them if you gave yourself the chance as have all my American friends that I've turned onto mollejas. Does the old saying "when in Rome do as the Romans do" strike any cords with you Saint?

Come on God dang it Saint, dump a dishful of chimichuri on some mollejas and go to town! DownBA

OttoGraham
05-29-03, 12:21
DownBA, I think our friend Saint is a lost cause for Argentina. He's down on Argentine women, down on mollejas, I betcha he now prefers the salsa to the tango! Brazil on the brain is what he suffers from!

By the way, in addition to mollejas, the three El Mirasol restaurants serve up some really excellent riñones and creadillas. Mmmmmm mmmmm good!

-Uncle Otto

DownBA
05-29-03, 18:45
Otto, just can't quite understand Saint's reticence toward trying some of the best eatins in the whole goddamn world! Surely if the Saint can gobble the best porteño concha down 3-4 per day for weeks on end he can manage to scarf down some of the best edibles in South America, no?

By the way, what are creadillas? Have to admit you've caught me off-guard with that dish but will definitely try it my next time down. Have you tried any Pollo al Verdeo in BA? To DIE for!!! Otto, I can just tell that you and I would have the greatest time eating, drinking and screwing our way around BA together since it seems like we both have an unending gusto for the fine wines, food and women down there. Bife de chorizo, bife de lomo, chinchulines, mollejas, ensalada mixta con palmitos, pollo al verdeo.....AYYYYYY Viva Buenos Aires!!! Vivan Las Porteñas!!!!! DownBA

Andres
05-29-03, 18:56
DownBA:

Criadillas are bull testicles. I never tried them :-)

Andres

OttoGraham
05-31-03, 11:35
Heh heh heh heh, I knew somebody would pick up on that!

They taste like chicken! :D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Really, they're pretty bland, need to be seasoned to be tasty. I'm certainly glad to say I've tried them, but wouldn't rave about them the way I will about sweetbreads.

-Uncle Otto

Leo
06-02-03, 12:46
i also like dominga very much (mayri comes thru again!). prices were in the ar$15-20 range for entrees, if i remember correctly. numerous wines (cabs) were ar$20-40.

for others wanting to visit palermo hollywood but looking for something less nice, more casual, i've eaten at unico before - it's right on the corner next to domingo, and is a good spot for potentially meeting straight girls.

both of these spots, along with all of palermo hollywood or palermo viejo are good hits on your way to las canitas, if trying to meet non-pros is your thing. i particularly like voodoo bar there.

Leo
06-02-03, 12:50
Here's some info on a super low price restaurant around the corner from Etoile.

COMER

I found a new spot for the very budget minded! Comer is around the corner from Etoile on Guido between Ortiz and Ayacucho.

It's a buffet place, all you can eat. I liked it not only due to low price, but I like to grab a quick coffee when I wake up (noon?), and I like to eat protein in the morning, and I want something really fast! Here, all the food is ready for you, so I could get my immediate eats with my coffee.

ar$7 weekday lunches, not more than ar$11-13 for dinners anynight.

The place is huge, with 2 cold/salad buffets and 1 hot food buffet.

Granted, the buffet food is only average, but I only wanted pure of batata or pure of pumpkin, spinach and veggies (and they had plenty of all this).

The real gems were the made to order / short order counter, where you can get rabbit/chicken/fish/beef/pastas all made to your order, and the parilla in the rear of the place, with all types of meats.

And last, they had a dessert buffet, which included 6 different types of ice cream.

The service is typical Argentine top-level... and for a buffet? - the waiters are always attending to the food, and they wipe down your plate and glass before they let you use them, typically pouring you more soda/beer before you can reach for the bottle, etc.

Drinks cost extra, but for about ar$10-15 including beverage and tip, this place is a nice find.

MeGustaBoliches
06-02-03, 15:29
Here is a third vote of confidence for Domingas....I have been back several times....great food....relatively inexpensive.....trendy kind of place....the black pasta and salmon teryaki are great....total cost pp...40 to 45 pesos, including wine and tip...

Balul
06-12-03, 13:52
Another two "eat as you can" restaurants:

Grant's: In Recoleta, near the corner of Las Herras and Junin. It's very similar to "Comer" which Leo described. Prices: 11AR$ at nights, with free salads, meats, pastas and deserts, and not free drinks. Not the best food, but a nice place if you like to eat as much as you can...

Siga La Vaca: In Puerto Madero, De Justo st. (If you come from the city centre, you'll have a long walk until you get there). Here, the food is better than in most "eat as you can" restaurants. The salads are free, but more important, the parilla is free, and the meat is fantastic. 20 AR$ for free salads and meats, 1 liter drink and one desert.

MeGustaBoliches
06-26-03, 18:33
Here is a restaurant you wont find listed in your guide book....

Bella Italia....Arabe Siria 3300block...near Libertador....Limited but excellent menu.....try the Portobelo Mushrooms in a rich, dark wine sauce for an appetizer...the grilled trout on a bed of steamed vegetables as a main....and the tiramasu for dessert....with wine, 35 pesos....My amiga had a pasta dish that was equally delicious......

For lunch, try the menu del dia for 12 pesos at this Thai restaurant

Empire Bar. Tres Sargentos y Reconquista downtown....

OttoGraham
06-30-03, 16:26
La Brigada

One of a chain of three steakhouses, I ate at the one located in Palermo. Excellent all-around introduction to the traditional Argentine parrilla. Steaks, wines, salads, a special favorite I've not found anywhere else was a "provoleta" (grilled cheese round), but this one was made of goat's cheese.

Dinner for seven, including several courses, several bottles of excellent Malbec and decent Chandon sparkling wine, as well as dessert, came to a reasonable 500 pesos.

Brigada; La (Parrilla) Estados Unidos 465 4361-5557 (San Telmo branch)

Brigada; La (Parrilla) Av. Entre Rios 678 4381-0205 (Palermo branch).

-Uncle Otto

OttoGraham
06-30-03, 16:29

I've previously reviewed 1880 which is located in San Telmo at 1665 Defensa. It remains the best bargain restaurant in Buenos Aires. I ate at this traditional parrilla twice in recent days, one weekday lunch and one weekend lunch. Each time, several courses, a bottle of wine in one of them. Excellent service and recommendations from the waiter.

Tab for two without one wine on a weekday lunch was a whopping 31 pesos.

For four on a weekend, with a nice bottle of Chardonnay recommended by the waiter: 100 pesos.

-Uncle Otto

OttoGraham
07-05-03, 17:02
El Mirasol Puerto Madero

Snuffy and I had dinner last Saturday evening in this previously-reviewed establishment. It continues to maintain its high standards as one of the premier parrillas in Buenos Aires. Dinner for two with a bottle of very good malbec and several courses including my recent favorite, roasted intestines, ran to about 100 pesos.

-Uncle Otto

Roxanne
07-09-03, 14:54
Hi, sexy gourmets!!!

I want to recommend some places I tried myself, and plus this they are located in some different areas of Buenos Aires worth to be visited.

GRAN BAR DANZON: Libertad 1161. tel 4 811 1108. Super fashion and modern, excellent food and drinks, music a little loud but full of genuine Argentine beauties in their twenties and thirties, educated people and no pros. Reservations are a need.

SPIRIT: Serrano 1550. tel 4 833 5331. It's in Palermo Hollywood, a new and designed area, young people everywhere, full of bars and restaurants. This one is small, no expensive and the food is great!! Specially the tapeo de mare, an assorted dish of sea food to share.

POSITANO: Boulevard Olleros 1760. tel 4 772 7539. It's located in Belgrano, a beautiful neighbourghood after Palermo. This Italian restaurant has some nights, opera shows, but with fun and a cross-dresser actor and really good singers from our Opera House, Teatro Colon. The food is very good, specially the Italian bread and of course the wine. You need to make a reservation.

TE MATARE RAMIREZ: Paraguay 4062. tel 4 831 9156. It's in Palermo Viejo, and is restaurant with aphrodisiac food and they have some nights a lesbian show, so you need to call to make a reservation. The food is great too. www.tematareramirez.com

EL ESTABLO: Paraguay 489. tel 4 311 0607. Traditional Argentine restaurant, good prices and for me better meat than in Puerto Madero restaurants, great salads and of course the Argentine wines.

This is a restaurant suggested by Mayra, she told me it's beautiful and they serve great Norwegian food and more than 50 different kinds of vodka!!!

Its name is OLSEN, and it's located in Gorriti 5870, Palermo neighbourghood, the telephone number is: 4 776 7677.

Bon apetit!!!, your Queen Roxana.

Fat Bastard
07-09-03, 22:55
OttoGraham and others who desire fine culinary delights,

I found a nice classy restaurant worthy of mention. The name is Bengal (as in Tiger). Address: Arenales 837 (Puerto Madero side of
9 July). Phone: 4394-8557.

A sister and two brothers are the owners. Specializes in Indian and Italian, but has many other dishes.

This place is small and exclusive…you HAVE TO make a reservation. Reason? It is so popular and limited in space, it is guaranteed to fill up. I went two nights ago with Roxana, Mayra, and another friend at 8:30. Early by latin standards, late for my appetite’s standards. Upon arrival, you will find that the door is locked….and old man will let you in…be nice to him, he’s the owners’ father. When entering, we found a very nicely appointed room. Since we were the first ones there, we struck up a conversation with one of the brothers (Marcelo)…he and the sister speak English. BTW, I noticed that every table in the restaurant had a reserved sign. Our waitress, Rocío (the Spanish word for Dew) also speaks English. She handed us menus, but then asked if we would rather just let Marcelo make up a meal for us. We agreed and never even looked our menus. While drinking wine and listening to Roxana and Mayra carry on, the seven course meal began. Excellent food throughout the evening. The total bill for four people with wine and other alcoholic drinks was $280 pesos before propina, about $25 dollars per person.

FB

Maddur
07-10-03, 01:04
FB,
I also tried Bengal last November. May be it has improved now or I went on an off night. I tried 3 different Indian dishes and all of them were consistently bad.
If you want to try Indian food, a better bet would be Katmandu (Cordoba 3547 - Phone: 4963 1122). Though the food is not that great, they are more authentic and is a welcome change if you ever get bored of bife de lomo! (like that's gonna happen!)

Fat Bastard
07-10-03, 01:15
Maddur,

I don't know what to tell you except that the place seems to have a good reputation by the clientele attending and the definite need for reservations. On a personal note, we all agreed on how good the food was. Like you said, maybe it was an off-night. As with chicas, I guess YMMV with food too.

I have been to Katmandu's and enjoyed our food immensely. I highly recommend the curry.

FB

Airplane
07-18-03, 12:13
There is a new restaurant in the Buenos Aires Design Center. It opened around the first of June.
The Name is Prima Fila and it is a couple of doors away from the Hard Rock Cafe.

I ate there a couple of times and liked the food. I had a pasta dish once and the other time several things wrapped in a crepe.
It is somewhat trendy, but the prices aren't that high. I paid around AR$50 for salad, entree, dessert, wine and coffee.

On Recoletas restaurant row, I liked the bife de lomo at Pepe Pomo.

It is located 5 or 6 doors away from the Newport bar.

Greetings Airplane,

As a neighborhood resident, I can attest to the fact that Pepe Lomo's has the best beef on restaurant row. Pepe Lomo's is easy to find: it's the restaurtnat with the full size plastic cow standing in the sidewalk.

Jackson

Lexton
07-20-03, 18:53
For those staying at the Dazzler, I just found a nice 'Tenador Libre' (self service buffet) around the corner on M. de Alvear. Turn left from Dazzler on Libertad, left on M. de Alvear, middle of block on left. M. de Alvear 1256.

The name is 'Deleite'. Lunch buffet is 12-15:30, dinner is 20:00-00:30. The other hours it is a normal cafe.

Lunch is $8M-F, $10S, $12Sun. Dinner is $10M-T, $12FS, $10Sun

The salads and hot dishes have an oriental slant. There is a good parilla. For an all you can eat buffet, the quality is excellent, with some shrimp and fish dishes.

For a salad lover like me, it is great for a late brunch. It also had the first broccoli I have spotted in Buenos Aires.

Sky Ryder
08-02-03, 00:45
I really enjoyed the Bife de Lomo at Tenorio's on "the row" in Recoletta. It is few doors down from Newport and had some cute waitresses and good atmosphere. They also have a combo act that plays and sings.

I am going to try the place in the design center if I can find the appropriate "date" LOL

Mickey Mouse
08-31-03, 15:00
If you like Greek Food, try Mykonos on Boulevard Olleros 1752 in Belgrano. Great food, wine and entertainment complete with music, dancing and even some plate smashing. Had a wonderful time with a couple special friends!

Another, Piegari, an Italian Restaurant which I believe has been reviewed before.
Neither is cheap (@ 100p for 2 including bottles of wine and all courses) by Argentine standards, but the food and experience was well worth it.

Sky Ryder
09-03-03, 11:47
Had dinner with Roxana and my novia at a place in Puerto Madero recently.
The resturant is named La Caballeriza on De Justo 580. The food was wonderful and they have a great wine list. They actually grill you meats in plain view and it is interesting to watch. A nice view as well.
I would highly recommend this place if you want a little change of pace in a different part of town....

Amantelondres
09-27-03, 17:25
When I was a little toddler, the best meat restaurant and the most famous in BA was La Cabana. This closed many years ago but , having been acquired by the Orient Express company it is opening (or by now should have) in September in the recoleta area. Although I won't be able to try it till November, take your chica there and she'll tell her mum where she ate and will be very impressed!! Let me know how it is. Thanks guys

El Aleman
09-27-03, 19:00
Yes, La Cabaña is open. It is located in Av. Rodríguez Peña, between Posadas and Alvear, on the left side when coming from Posadas. It is just excelent, I was there a few days ago on a business occasion.

When going there, beware: it is a very classy place, and your and your company's attire should reflect that fact. Maybe the best meat in Argentina, which means, the world.

El Aleman

Sky Ryder
10-19-03, 13:57
Went to a resturant/club last night for dinner with some new American friends and a couple of friends from this forum. We went to Asia, which is located next door the Hilton in Puerto Madero.
The entree's vary from beef to sushsi and everything in between. All have a name that is sensualy suggestive and while the food was good the service was quite slow.
After dinner they clear the tables and open the dance floor for continous house and techno music. It really got crowded about 1:00am
This is a legit night club, although about a month ago a freind pulled two young ladies out of the club and they rocked his world until lunch the next day...all it cost him was an empty mini-bar...lol

One really fun thing about this place is they have a spectacular belly dancer and two ladies that do any aerial show from the ceiling while suspended over the dance floor.

MoonDog
10-19-03, 15:29
Thanks for the info. Sounds great

El Aleman
10-20-03, 06:46
The place is called Asia de Cuba.

When staying friday nights in the Hilton, best idea is to go there, as you will hear the music anyway if you have a room towards the city...

El Aleman

Dickhead
10-20-03, 15:20
I can recommend Broccolino, also on Córdoba and I believe the cross street is Maipu (or thereabouts; it's on the same side of the street as Mi Casa or My House and the opposite side from Excedra). Huge portions, excellent food, friendly service.

Also I like Tasca Tancat tapas bar on Paraguay half a block from Florida towards 9 de Julio. Some stuff is cheap and some is rather expensive but there is a nice variety.

Andres
10-20-03, 20:38
Broccolino: Esmeralda St between Cordoba Av and Viamonte St

Andres

MiddleAgeGuy
10-21-03, 00:42
I also give high marks to Broccolino, the garlic and butter squid being excellent! Thanks Andres for reminding me where it was some time ago. There is one guy in there that always seems to remember me and will not let me get a word of Spanish in as he dazzles me with his English. Nice people. As the place is pretty close to Hooks, etc., it is a good place to go prior to clubbing in that end of town.
Another area one might want to venture to for eats is Las Canitas, in Palermo. It will cost you 8 pesos or so for a taxi from centro but then you have about 3 blocks worth of eateries from which to chose. It can get very crowded here also. Some places have dancing/shows also, some with a minimum charge meal + show. A nice diversion from Recoletta and Centro.
A classy place in Puerto Madero is Happening. For impressing the chica, it's great, as is the food and service. A little pre-warning to the chica is in order so that she can dress nice. The last time I went there, mi novia said there were a few celebs around, not that I could tell the difference.
Provecho
MAG

Sky Ryder
10-29-03, 18:01
I had a wonderful dining experience this past Saturday evening at place called Morena. It is on the water near the downtown airport. I went with my novia and another good friend, which I am sure added to the pleasure of the evening.
This place sits on the water and is dark and very romantic. You can see the lights of the city twinkle on the water from your table.
The service is wonderful and I had scallops in a wine sauce, both of the ladies enjoyed their dishes as well.
This is not a place to meet someone, but I cannot imagine a lady not enjoying being wined and dined at this establishment.
I suspect that you might want to make reservations on Saturday night, but the rest of the week it shouldn't be necessary. They have a small bar and a combo that plays on the weekend.
A great way to spend the first part of an evening and set the tone for the fun to come later.

Enjoy!!

p.s. I great way to make brownie points with the B & C without having to explain......or having your attentions diverted by other "eye catching" diversions......lol

Roxanne
11-02-03, 10:41
Hi, Perverted Gourmets!!!!

I went to a great restaurant near Puerto Madero, really it's located in front of it and as it is on the top of Comega Building, on the 19th floor, you have a beautiful view of the Docks. The name of the restaurant is AZZURRA, and it is on Corrientes Avenue 222. You need reservations, so their tel. number is: 4315 8381. Also they have a sushi bar on the 20th floor. The food is great, they offer sea food, good pasta and meats. Don't expect a barbecue there, it's modern mediterranean cuisine.

Bon apetit!!!!

Roxana.

OttoGraham
11-13-03, 16:49
Exon123 introduced me to an excellent restaurant that I have not eaten at previously.

Estilo Campo is found at Moreau de Justo 1840, in Puerto Madero. It is located in what I believe is the most southern/eastern old converted warehouse in the row that makes up the Puerto Madero complex.

It is an Argentine parrilla similar in style to the previously-reviewed Cabana las Lilas and El Mirasol, each of which are located in other Puerto Madero buildings.

Dinner for three, with several beef and accompanying courses, wine, and some mixed drinks came to about 220 pesos.

If you like parrillas, as I do, this is an excellent addition to your list. A local friend also tells me another branch of Estilo Campo is found in the suburbs out near San Isidro.

-Uncle Otto

OttoGraham
11-13-03, 17:03
Updates on my old favorites

On my recent long-weekend trip, I ate at a number of restaurants which I have already described in this thread. Since I do believe in repeating a good thing, this was an easy decision for me to make.

El Mirasol with three different locations in town, is an excellent parrilla with good service and decent prices. I had a luncheon for 5, which consisted mostly of appetizers shared amongst us (empanadas - meat pies; provoletas - grilled cheese; sausages; salads; desserts; and a couple bottles of good chardonnay). Total - about 200 pesos.

Le Sud, located in the Sofitel in the 800 block of Arroyo. Elegant French dining, with a varied menu and an excellent wine list of moderately-priced and higher priced wines (try the 2000 Zapata Chardonnay for 90 pesos, one of the best chardonnays I have had!). Appetizers, entrees, and desserts for four, with coffee and 2 bottles of the aforementioned Zapata - 400 pesos plus a tip.

Piegari, which is actually two separate restaurants located across from each other on Posadas, intersection with 9 de Julio. Lunch in the parrilla for 2 - 70 pesos. Light lunch in the Italian restaurant for 3, about 100. I think the Italian branch is getting overpriced for Buenos Aires. The prices were the same as I would pay in the U.S. for a similar meal. Not bad (in fact, the homemade pastas are excellent!) or expensive, but as a relative value for this town, a bit pricey.

1880, another parrilla found at 1665 Defensa, in the San Telmo neighborhood. This is the best value-for-money restaurant I know in BsAs. Good parrilla food, good service, decent low-end wines which are very inexpensive and drinkable. Dinner for 7 of us, including several courses, lots of desserts, many bottles of beer and wine - a whopping 192 pesos plus a 40 peso tip. Highly, highly recommended!

A note about tipping

Some friends think I tip waiters in BsAs too much. However, I am the kind of customer who likes to be doted upon, and am constantly sending my servers back to the kitchen to fetch another small plate of some morsels. I frequently ask them to make recommendations, and chat it up with them as much as my poor Spanish allows. Given all this, I don't think I am being overgenerous when I tip 20 or 25%.

The waiters work hard, I appreciate their business, and as I found both at Estilo Campo and 1880 - if you are a generous, friendly Gringo, the waiters WILL remember you the next time you visit and they will treat you very well. Being a waiter in BsAs is pretty much a permanent, full-time job, so these fellows (and occasional ladies) will work there for a long time, unlike most restaurants in the U.S., where there is a lot of turnover.

I like living it up, and this is one of the ways I enjoy doing so! :D

Bon Appetit!

-Uncle Otto

El Aleman
11-14-03, 11:01
Uncle Otto,

I absolutely second on your opinion that Piegari is overpriced (and the quality not up to the prices asked).

right across the street, also in the restaurant complex under the highway extension of 9 de Julio, is another italian restaurant, (I think) Sorrento. I was in both (Sorrento and Piegari) within a few days, with the same lovely lady.

We both agreed, that the quality of our food was significantly better in Sorrento, at a significanty lower price (As far as I remember, $250 vs. 400 for 2 full, 3 course meals plus wine).

In Piegari, we had the impression that the restaurant is patronized by a special, yuppyish sort of people - and this group all over the world goes to the expensive places, not necessarily the good ones.

El Aleman

OttoGraham
11-14-03, 12:08
Hey, ElAleman, I don't think Piegari is bad - just the opposite. The home made pastas which I and my companions had for lunch were excellent. (My personal favorite were the home made "sorrentinos," a kind of ham-stuffed ravioli in cream sauce.) And the prices were the same as I would pay for pasta at an Italian place at home, or even a hair less. My point was just that for Buenos Aires, it seems the prices here have gone beyond what the competition charges. Please don't let my comments dissuade anybody from eating there, as I like this place very much. It's just not the bargain that, say, 1880 is. But thanks for the tip on Sorrento, I shall have to try it my next time in town.

-Uncle Otto

El Aleman
11-15-03, 13:50
Uncle Otto,

The last thing I want to do is discourage you to further comment on Bs.As. fine eating places. I ow your tips MANY tasteful hours - and that I tried Piegari was due to your recommendation. Btw. Piegari is good.

I was just adding some recent experience (Sept. this year) about 2 restaurants very close together, and had the impression that the other one was better, certainly as far as the price / return ratio is concerned.

And, as you observe, prices at Pieagari are about the same as you would pay in the U.S (or I would pay in Europe), and that is certainly too much.

Tip to you, as mentioned in a previous post: the new La Cabaña is open. It is located in Av. Rodríguez Peña, between Posadas and Alvear, on the left side when coming from Posadas. Try it.

El Aleman

EZE_Amante
11-16-03, 02:33
Otto,

Do you know if 1880 is open Sunday's, say for late lunch? I planned on ending one of Rox's tours there at the market, and I'd like to take the ladies there if it is open.

EZE

Roxanne
11-16-03, 12:18
Hi, Guys:

I tried the other night a restaurant with some friends and I can highly recommend it. It's located in Palermo Hollywood on Gorriti 5099, corner of Thames street. It's a restaurant, bar and terraza and the good thing is that they put on, different shows. When I was there, they had a very good jazz group with a great young singer, I was there with a friend who is an addict to the music and he was surprised for the quality of the group. We were more surprised when we ordered the food and it was simply great, really I didn't expect that level there. Good wines also, of course, we are in Argentina!!! The restaurant is beautiful and full with people and it's a good idea to start visiting other areas than Puerto Madero, Recoleta and San Telmo. Palermo is a restorted neighbourhood, full of bars, restaurants and design stores and it's easy to get there for the local taxi drivers. The name of the restaurant is SPLENDID and you need to make reservations at: 4833 4477/ 4833 3535.

Bon apetit, Roxana.

MoonDog
11-16-03, 13:17
Thanks Roxana. :)

Moondog

MeGustaBoliches
11-16-03, 18:56
EZE, I am not Otto, but I know the answer to your question...Of course 1880 is open on Sunday afternoon....but you will need a reservation. The place is full of locals with families on Sundays....children, grandparents,etc. laughing and enjoying life! I love 1880 on Sunday...I feel completly immersed in the culture.....

Exon123
11-20-03, 14:12
Micky Mouse & I, plus Carolina decovered the best Restruant in Argentina --- Its called La Brigada --- Phone number 4361-5557 --- Its absoultely outstanding --- You´ve got to try it --- Exon

Vsg888
11-20-03, 14:20
La Brigada

I'm always up for taking advantage of the fine dining in BA. Tell us more about your experience at La Brigada and why you think it's the best.

OttoGraham
11-20-03, 15:33
La Brigada

One of a chain of three steakhouses, I ate at the one located in Palermo. Excellent all-around introduction to the traditional Argentine parrilla. Steaks, wines, salads, a special favorite I've not found anywhere else was a "provoleta" (grilled cheese round), but this one was made of goat's cheese.

Dinner for seven, including several courses, several bottles of excellent Malbec and decent Chandon sparkling wine, as well as dessert, came to a reasonable 500 pesos.

Brigada; La (Parrilla) Estados Unidos 465 4361-5557 (San Telmo branch)

Brigada; La (Parrilla) Av. Entre Rios 678 4381-0205 (Palermo branch).

-Uncle Otto

The above is a copy of my post from last June!

Mickey Mouse
11-20-03, 15:49
La Brigada,

The desserts are a specialty also. I had the pears cooked in a Red Wine sauce that were Out of this World. I have never had anything like it before and probably never will again. Highly Recommended!

Exon123
11-21-03, 13:35
Its a must try experience --- Micky Mouse and I are going back tonight

Marcos
11-30-03, 17:23
I've been to this tenedor libre today and found it has a great selection of meats, fishes and pastas, on top of excellent cold dishes and desserts. The place is super-clean and nicely decorated in estancia style, and I really recommend it. Just few steps off the green-line subway at Puerreydon and Santa Fe. $10 everyday, a bit more on weekends.
I also want to give my own defense about the superior logic that there is in dining frugally in BsAs, even when in company of a fine chica.
First of all, when going to a good place like the above mentioned, the quality and selection is really the same than the one in any other restaurant. Consider that the Argentinean cousine is not built on sophisticated dishes but rather of robust servings made of first-class ingredients. So a free buffet and parrilla comes out naturally enjoyable as opposed to, e.g., Italian cousine that has hundrends of first and main dishes that must be individually prepared just to taste right and poorly matches the buffet presentation.
Second, believe it or not, you're hardly impressing anyone (except yourself maybe) just by dining in an expensive restaurant. That gringos have money and (some have) sophisticated tastes, is already a given for the chicas here. And expecially to the eyes of the ones that comes from the poorest areas, any money spent on superfluous things like luxury foods, is really wasted. Expecially because you´re eating it, rather than potentially giving to her. Many times it happened to me that mentioning the price of something, I was be told by the girl how she know where to get the same for less. Because their culture and common sense, be willing to save a little will gain you more respect than a tendency to dissipate money. And I think that makes a lot of sense, as you will be able to decide later how to spend the savings, with repeats, side-trips or whatever.

Lexton
11-30-03, 21:48
Stoly, you make an excellent point here and I want to strongly second it. You are absolutely right.

For all of the big spending, heavy tipping people: What kind of message do you think you are sending when you negotiate a woman down to $100ar short time or $300arTLN and then proceed to take her out and blow $100-$200ar on food and drink? It is a slap in the face. When you tip the bartender $5 or $10ar for a bar tab of $30-$100ar, what do you think you are doing to her expectations of the tip SHE deserves? What did the bartender do for you that the clerk at McDonald's doesn't do? I usually don't tip bartenders at all. My current favorita(a 22YO Paraguayan) doesn't let me tip over 5% in a restaurant. But I once paid her over $1400ar for an AWFUL LOT of time in one week, all in bed.

Many of these women have trouble affording $500ar/mo for an apartment. If she was from the class of people that could afford luxury, she generally wouldn't be doing this. She would be trying to charge someone their monthly paycheck like the other women in that class, through marriage.

I believe you will have your greatest success if you can make the women feel that you are making a little stretch to pay them, and that they are making more doing this than they could possibly make any other way. If they feel it is a lot of money for you, it will feel like more to them.

I met some of the internet girls that cater to Americans for the first time after the Thanksgiving dinner. You can easily see a difference in their attitude. That may be why I have yet to take a woman from Madaho's, and no longer go to Black.

By the way, if you insist on doing this, spend a LOT. Then the woman will just think you are crazy and it won't affect the market as much. The people who affect the market most are the ones who insist on paying 20%-50% more.

DownBA
12-01-03, 10:01
Guys, I've been trying to get the name of a restaurant that I went to in '98 for the longest time and finally I got it from a local Argentinian businessman I met here in the states recently. The place is called La Caballeriza and if memory serves me it's near the old Hipodromo. The place literally used to be a stable and now there are actually dinner tables in each of the former stalls and there are beautiful floral arrangements everywhere and the wine list is superb, literally hundreds of wines to chose from. I remember the food being top notch as well as the clientele but the check won't set you back at all. I highly recommend this place for something a little different with great food and ambience. DownBA

OttoGraham
12-01-03, 12:47
La Caballeriza is a chain parrilla, with the converted-stable motif. There is one in Village Recoleta beneath Hooters and next door to McDonalds. I've eaten there, and think it is OK. However, I think it is not quite up to the standards for steakhouses set by El Mirasol, Estilo Campo, or La Brigada, all of which are reviewed here also.

-Uncle Otto

DownBA
12-02-03, 03:03
Otto, my local Argentinian friends also recommended "Casa de la papa frita" which they claim is now almost 80 years old and not only has the best french fries in BA but also some of the best bife de churrasco. I forgot where they said it was but I believe it's not far from el Microcentro but you can't hold me to that.

Otto, are you in BA now or are you going to be there sometime this week? I arrive Wednesday morning, if you're going to be around perhaps we'll share a bottle of fine Malbec and a nice parillada, what do you say? DownBA

Andres
12-02-03, 09:43
El Palacio de la Papa Frita
Corrientes Av between Montevideo St and Rodriguez Peña St

Their "papas souffle" are really good.

Knuckhead
12-03-03, 02:09
On my last day of mongering in BA in late October, I wanted to finally try a Puerto Madera restaurant in between visiting chicas. Given the bewildering array of choices (this time I mean the restaurants, and not the chicas :) ), I decided to simply take my chances and ask a taxi driver to drop me off at Puerto Madera. I walked back and forth a number of times and finally went inside what turned out to be a wonderful restaurant.

Reading the previous posts on this section, and referring back to the brochure I was given when there, I now realized that this restaurant was the previously mentioned "Sorrento". It is a chain of three restaurants (Sorrento City, Sorrento Puerto, and Sorrento Recova). For 48 pesos, their most expensive "priced fixed" lunch menu was a tastefully presented 4 course meal with a choice of three well prepared appetizers, a salad, a choice of four main dishes (two meat dishes, 1 fish, and 1 pasta dish), and a choice of three deserts. It even included half a bottle of one of their better Malbecs or Chardonnays!

It was late for lunch (about 3:45), and the restaurant was almost empty. The waiter, a very well mannered gentleman in his 50's, stopped by my table at the end and we had a half-hour long conversation! Great service, and what a bargain for only 17USD!

James D 2004
12-04-03, 18:44
Lexton and Stoly, I already discussed the same principle on hotels. In other words, a US$100 suite is impressive but if the girls who come up only worth 100 peso, she may be impressed but what´s the point to impress her? Swallowing some 50 peso worth of food and service with you isn´t a pleasant thought for her.

By the way, don´t you know that given the choice, girls don´t like to dine. That´s almost universal. For some young girls who never saw the best resturants in town they may be interested. Girls with some brains eat very carefully to stay in the business as long as possible. I had a Thai girl and let her pick where to eat. She´s totally uninterested. For most of the day I only saw her only had a glass of water. Most hostess don´t like to drink. If you don´t force them, they only sip a mouth out of every drink. Madahos included. The only exception is the Brazilian girl in Black, who´s into heavy spirits.

Miami Bob
12-06-03, 13:32
SOME RESTAURANTS chosen by my chica in ba where middle class trendy people go which I went to last week include:

LOMO, Costa Rica 4661, Palermo telefono 4833 3200 This is a trendy place that looks like high design out of SoHo in New York City. Models and TV people go here. THE food is primarly meat: cow, lamb, wild game. main dishes are generally US$4 to US$6. This place has the best food that I've had in BA---elegant!!

POLO is near the Polo fields by the border between palermo and belgrano in las canitas. very, very good steak house with better prices than recoleta or puerto madero. There are no tourists here and no millionaires--upper middle class people with good taste. our waiter got another guy to help me with the menue who spoke sufficient english to get the job done with no misunderstanding and a great meal resulted. I tried different Argentine cuts of beef than the standard lomo or ojo de bief or biftec de chorizo.

ROSA NEGRO, San Isidro, just past San Vicente, is in an wealthy enclave 30 minutes from Recoleta by car. There is an English and spanish menu. The waiter spoke good English. Elegant decoration and great food. Many different styles of dishes including fish with different local sauces.

This was my third trip to BA in 18 months. I'm getting outside of the tourist zones and just beginning the scratch the surface as to what makes BA a great world class city and why it's inhabitants are so proud of their city.

Miami Bob
12-08-03, 05:57
POLO is actually:
La Fonda del POLO
Baez 301 c/o Arevalo
Las Canitas Palermo
4772 8946

It is located just below the polo stadium

MeGustaBoliches
12-08-03, 15:27
here is a new restaurant for our list....highly reccommended

LaCorte.Arevalo 2977. las canitas....a trendy neighborhood in Palermo, near the Polo fields....tel 4775-0909.

Extensive wine list....appetizers including duck and langostinos are outstanding....my friend had a carne dish made of very thin strips of meat served in a swirl....I had a flat green pasta and clam sauce.....The menu is not long, but every thing is fresh and the presentation is outstanding...great place to impress chicas ......

MeGustaBoliches
12-12-03, 14:14
Tequila, Costanera Norte...a dinner and dance club is a great experience....lots of 20 and 30 something Argentinos out for a night on the town...go early..11 or so...if you want to get in, especially on Wed or the weekends....Some stunning women wandered in the evening I was there....models, tv personalities, etc....food and drink are very reasonable, and you will be the only gringo in the place....

Amantelondres
12-17-03, 17:07
Was in BA last month and here's my report on my other faforite hobby!

Le Sud (Sofitel Hotel): This hotel is fairly new (within last 12 months) and Le Sud is one of the top restaurants in BA. We had a terriffic meal, excellent service, good size portions and fab. wine and a great place to take a chica. I went with an old GF. The bill came to 160 pesos.Compared to most reports on this site it is expensive but in Europe you'd pay around $us 160. What made it a super evening was that on the last friday of the month all the art galleries in that street (Arroyo, just off 9 de Julio and 5 minutes from Recoleta in a cab) have an open evening with music, drinks and a great street party atmosphere. Worth keeping an eye out and make a booking for friday 26th December.

La Bourgogne (Alvear Hotel) Rated as the top restaurant in BA. A bit more stuffy than the Sofitel but a really excellent meal. Price again 200 to 250 pesos. Quite a few well known people (eg film stars...I was wearing dark glasses!) so your chica would be quite impressed.

La Cabana in Rodriguez Pena 1967, tel 4814 0001, near Recoleta. The old La Cabana in Entre Rios closed down many years ago, was very famous and was THE place to go for bifes. The new one is a lot smarter and appropriately priced and now owned by Orient Express Company of London. It has kept some of the famous items from the old menu, for example their Baby Bifes two sizes 450gr. at 38 pesos and 1100gr. at 72 pesos!! The latter they suggest is para compartir (to share)...they must be crazy! i wouldn't share mine with anyone !!!!The younger chicas won't remember the old La Cabana but a more mature chica may. Again, pricey but an experience not to be missed.

Moving on to more reasonable priced places, not to say that the above 3 are not reasonable. They are very reasonable.

El Kozako Junin 1460, tel 4804 3527. Russian, Ukranian,Polish,and Slav cuisine. Opened last month. Very good food and an interesting alternative from the normal restaurant scene. Music at weekends and worth visiting. Price 100 pesos for two.

La Cabrera (Cabrera 5099 corner Thames St) in Palermo Viejo. A busy restaurant...must book...and specialising in meat. Start with a chorizo...fab. Very close to Splendid already reported on on this site which I also visited on my previous trip and also great.

Spirit (Serrano 1550, 4833 5331) Tapas and Oyster Bar. The oysters were big. It's a busy place in a busy area. If oysters are supposed to be an aphrodisiac.....well, I had 12 and am ashamed to say that only 10 worked!! 120 pesos for 2.

Circulo Av. Libertator 15731 in San Isidro. Quite an "in"place. Nice people, excellent food, not too big, intimate.

Piegari. Already reported on here. I like it. It's got a buzz. Good size portions. Service not as good as in April.

Finally, Gran Bar Danzon. www.granbardanzon.com.ar This is on Libertad between Arenales and Santa Fe. A very cool place. Great Bar, fantastic wines, super dining, a very good Sushi bar at one end of a very long bar, and open till 2.3 or 4 in the morning depending on how busy they are. It is super-cool and your chica will love it. See Roxana's section....she knows it and she certainly knows what's what and who's who in BA....hey R. we must meet up next time. I'm just soooooooo pissed off that I only discovered it on this trip as I live just one block away when I'm in BA.

Well, that's it for now. I can recommend all the above to you. Happy Christmas!

One Tree Hill
12-21-03, 04:43
Pte Madero:

La Bifsteak

Very nice place along the water. Lots of locals celebrating birthdays etc. This place has grilled meat and homemade pastas and lots of buffet items.

I went with my friend and our 2 chicas on a Sat night very late at like 1130PM.

I dont know if they have a regular menu or what. There is a large buffet with everything one could want: Salads, Cheeses, Fruits, hot items, Veggies, dessert etc.

Then you go to the grill area and they have the normal meats on the parilla. They also will make pasta to order.

The four of us had full meals - desserts from the menu, a bottle of wine for the chicas and 4 beers for the guys. Total bill was 120 pesos! About $10 USD each. I expected it to be about double that.

Very classy inside, the chicas liked it and the cost was great. I reccommed it. Good value.

Maddur
12-25-03, 13:55
One Tree Hill,
Correction - The place is called 'La Bisteca'