PDA

View Full Version : On the town...

Bacchus9
02-20-05, 12:11
While chicas and the pursuit of same and real estate opportunities have dominated the old board justifiably, if you live here, Buenos Aires is full of wonders found everyday. The daily newspapers are full of everything imaginable from shows, to music, food in abundance, wine, shoppings to say nothing of the parques and museums. Just walking down the street there are hundreds of little shops with a myriad of stuff that eventually you wish you could remember where you saw it. It's mind blowing really, a cornucopia.
So this thread is for that, the full boat of living in Argentina.
At the moment, one of my goals is to take this gorgeous 30 something chica I recently enjoyed to Teatro Colon for the Orquestra Filharmonica de Buenos Aires which she loves and then bring her home and have my way with her, again.
The other is to get Gisell back for a little noon time massage and erotica followed by pasta at Campo di Fiore where they make the pasta by hand.
Venezuela 1411 in Monserrat. 3 great restaurants on this corner, Italian, Spanish and Argentina.
I never thought I would find any place to take the place of living in Manhattan, but man this is "Living" with a capital L.

Bacchus9
02-24-05, 11:19
In the land of matte finding coffee on my arrival became something of a crusade. Spoiled by Peets and their ilk in San Francisco, I'm having a pound of dark french roast brought down by a friend, one of my first objectives was to replace the Braun coffee bean grinder I'd left behind (found at Fravega) and find a neighborhood source. Coffee is available in spades at any bar or restaurant but finding a roaster and getting the right roast on the beans turned out to be the challenge. I was pointed to a chain, Bonafides, which turned out to be a cut above the supermarkets and just ok, but settled finally on the Moka blend at De Cafe on Puyreddon just a block or so north of Santa Fe on the east side of the street.<br>
But the reason for posting today is the discovery of Cafe Martinez which is a small chain mostly in Barrio Norte. They have a "Tostado Italiano" which moves the peg up a notch from De Cafe's Moka and is not an espresso roast.<br> There! The abridged version of the 45 day hunt for the perfect coffee in 2 paragraphs.

Jackpot
02-26-05, 23:11
This cafe is at the corner of Vicente Lopez and Montevideo across from the Norte Supermarket on Vicente Lopez. They sell 6 or 7 roasts and will probably mix a custom blend for you. You can taste test by the cup.

May your cup runneth over..............

Jackpot

Spassmusssein
05-31-05, 01:21
I found here. Being friendly and smart, speaking a little spanish opens the hearts and mouths of everybody. I am living here since 2 years. as an Austrian "expatriate", and mongering around. Possibly there is no better place on this planet.

MCSE
12-31-05, 14:37
Some times appears as snow. But don't get wrong, with 30C / 90F degrees there is no snow at Buenos Aires. Every last business day of the year, at Buenos Aires, people drops old calendars, the yewllow pages, and many many peaces of papers by the building windows, it's an unique porteno tradition that repeats every year, so finally, I've shooted a video which now is available to download. I guess the video will explain it better than I.

http://www.barts.com.ar/barts/videos.php

Thomaso276
12-31-05, 16:47
In the Clarin today there was an article denouncing this "tradicion." The author pointed out that it creates alot of cleanup work, clogs the sewers, etc. As well, Government offices throw out papers containing people's personal information - how would you like your social security number floting around the city. He noted, wryly, that the custom is to throw out the monthly calendars that sit on people's desks and each page is turned daily. The sheets of paper are printed with spaces for daily appointment info and tasks done or to be done. The pages are almost always blank. He wrote that is shows they produce nothing and apparently don't work too hard during the year. I saw some of these myself Friday.

The whole thing is irresponsible, but what else is new.

Fred88
12-31-05, 17:24
"I never thought I would find any place to take the place of living in Manhattan, but man this is "Living" with a capital L."

You got that right, pal. I'm also from Manhattan (30 years) and cannot believe my good luck in discovering, through several friends, how great BsAs is. I took early retirement and moved here permanently in August and I've already left plans to throw my ashes in the Rio de la Plata when I drop off the perch -- which I hope won't be for a few more years!

Cheers and happy 2006 to all.

Peter aka Fred88

In Martinez