PDA

View Full Version : Scams

Knuckhead
02-20-05, 22:54
Whether it’ a counterfeit bill, or a thief in disguise,
crooked taxi drivers, or boliches full of spies...
Saint’s laptop’s gone, what a surprise!
These sad things, I truly despise...
Sad as they are, we all surmise
they merit their own thread, on this WSG enterprise!

Andres
07-13-05, 00:03
Guys:

This is a note on Clarin about a SP scam. It works as follows: A very young girl in Cordoba seduced middle-age men at the bus station in Cordoba city, then brought them to her room where 3 guys robbed and beat them.

Since many of you are starting to moving to the Interior, it may help you to separate the semi-pros from the scams. As a rule of thumb, NEVER go to the home / room of a SW. ALWAYS go to the hotel ("transitorio" or "telo")

Hope this helps,

Andres.

--------------------------

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/12/um/m-1012871.htm

17:40 | FUE DETENIDA POR LA POLICIA.

Les prometía una relación sexual ocasional pero después los asaltaba.

Una menor de 18 años seducía a los pasajeros en la terminal de micros de Córdoba. Las víctimas eran llevadas hasta una casa cercana donde tres cómplices les robaban el dinero.

Es apenas una jovencita de 18 años pero la edad, al parecer, no hace a la inocencia. Con sus encantos a flor de piel, desplegaba todas las técnicas de seducción para atraer a los pasajeros que esperaban en la Terminal de micros de la ciudad de Córdoba why les ofrecía una relación sexual ocasional. De todas maneras, la breve historia de amor con los pretendidos tenía un sólo fin: eran llevados a una habitación para robarles todo el dinero. La serie de engaños de la menor terminaron hoy al quedar detenida por la Policía.

Con la sangre en el ojo por haber caído en la trampa, una de las víctimas colaboró con la policía cordobesa para dar con la menor a la que los investigadores llamaron "La viuda negra". El ******, a diferencia de otros, aceptó atestiguar en la causa. ¿Cómo una de las víctimas explica esto en su casa? Bajo este contexto, no hay modo de justificar frente a la esposa el robo de dinero why objetos de valor.

Sumado el testimonio de este valiente why otras pistas, la Policía rastreó los pasos de la "viuda negra" hasta que este mediodía llegaron a detenerla. La adolescente prometía una relación pasajera why circunstancial pero en algunos casos, cobraba 10 pesos para mantener relaciones sexuales. Los llevaba hasta una casa del barrio Villa Revol Anexo why en una de las habitaciones ponía el moño a la trampa: las víctimas eran asaltadas a punta de revólver why bajo las fuertes amenazas de otros tres cómplices.

No debe pasar por alto su condición de menor. Tan sólo 18 años why el comienzo de una carrera delictiva que terminó mal. No buscaba a cualquier persona: se fijaba especialmente en hombres mayores why de buen aspecto. El comisario Carlos Collino precisó que los cómplices de la adolescente actuaban violentamente. Le sacaban a las víctimas el dinero que tenían mediante amenazas de arma de fuego why armas blancas o golpes de puño.

"Hoy se estaba llevando a cabo una orden de allanamiento, (cuando) esta mujer arriba al lugar con un potencial cliente, el cual poseía 1500 pesos", contó Collino al graficar cómo fue desbaratada la coartada de la joven.

El oficial dijo a la prensa local que la Policía investigaba un total de cuatro robos calificados, vinculados al accionar de la "viuda negra" why sus cómplices. "Todos estaban relacionados a esta causa, eran cuatro los hechos why además hemos logrado que este señor sea testigo de nuestras presentes actuaciones", agregó.

El comisario Pedro López, por su parte, añadió que la joven "era una mujer que ofrecía sus servicios personales, íntimos", a personas que acababan de cobrar algún tipo de dinero o bien a desprevenidos turistas que arribaban a la Terminal de ómnibus de Córdoba.

Dinero
10-06-05, 05:30
Gentleman,

It's been eight or so years since I lived in BA, and at that time I found the city safe save for one attempted mugging down in Palermo. What is the security situation these days?

Is the crime anything like Brazil?

Dinero

Sanlucar
10-07-05, 08:55
Gentleman,

It's been eight or so years since I lived in BA, and at that time I found the city safe save for one attempted mugging down in Palermo. What is the security situation these days?

Is the crime anything like Brazil?

DineroRecently my gringo friend was mugged. Two guys drove in a motorcycle, the guy in the back seat jumps on you, rip your watch off your wrist and drives away. My friend's watch was a rolodex. I think we were targeted from the beginning. This happened one block away from recoleta at noon.

Brazil is safer

Cactus
10-07-05, 12:34
Why was he wearing a phone directory on his wrist?

Sorry just being an asshole.

Daddy Rulz
10-07-05, 13:39
Why was he wearing a phone directory on his wrist?

Sorry just being an asshole.But it was funny.

Dickhead
10-07-05, 13:56
Targeted from the beginning of what? And has this guy ever been to Brazil?

Daddy Rulz
10-07-05, 15:06
Recently my gringo friend was mugged. Two guys drove in a motorcycle, the guy in the back seat jumps on you, rip your watch off your wrist and drives away. My friend's watch was a rolodex. I think we were targeted from the beginning. This happened one block away from recoleta at noon.

Brazil is saferExcept they were Vietnamese, and they stole a camera. Most Rolodexes have a latch to prevent it from opening. Perhaps this guy gave up his rolodex but it wasn't "ripped" from his wrist. Unless of course they cut his hand off first.

The story tells you he doesn't know BsAs, where they one block away from Recoleta in Barrio Norte? Palermo? Retiro? San Nicolas? Or perhaps they were one block from the cemetary. You must admit it is amusing though.

Bowdie
10-08-05, 00:20
All I can say is that you guys are pretty ruthless.

But you right it is funny.

Anybody know what time it is

Dancesw/Chicas
10-08-05, 12:46
I doubt that Brazil is safer than BA. I have been in Porto Alegre for.

The last 10 weeks and I can assure you that BA is a lot safer.

Furthermore, Porto Alegre is a city with a low crime reputation.

Compare with Rio or Sao Paulo.

DWC

Sconjo USA
10-29-05, 16:32
A few days ago I wrote about someone trying to pickpocket me on Pellegrine Ave. And what happened to him, because I was faster than him. And left him bleeding. The fucking moral is: Don't carry a wallet in your back pocket in ba. Was that bad info.

Sconjo usa.

Sconjo USA
10-29-05, 17:54
Jst think, if your ex. erked for a dentist, she could call dental replacement ---wallet dental replacement.

Ampfofu
11-14-05, 15:46
I have been in BA several times. I am a big guy, and have been told I have a bikers look, but their are some things you should do to avoid being scammed. ALL AMERICANS have a big sign over our head that says we are Americans. Americans are the easiest to scam, however if you are a city person then it is easy to not be scammed.

1. Walk with confidence. Like you live in BA.

2. Be on the alert at all times, look at your surroundings. You can easily pick out the people who are eyeing you. (I remember seing this all the time late at night, but they knew I knew what they were up to, so I avoided the problem)

3. OF course do not put your wallet in your back pocket.

4. Make sure you see the type of people who are around your apartment. People might be waiting for you to leave so they can break in. Security people can easily be conned.

5. These are some little tips, but remember BA is a big city just like NYC, but the only difference is Buenos Aires is the best place on earth.

Gandolf50
12-08-05, 00:55
I doubt that Brazil is safer than BA. I have been in Porto Alegre for.

The last 10 weeks and I can assure you that BA is a lot safer.

Furthermore, Porto Alegre is a city with a low crime reputation.

Compare with Rio or Sao Paulo.

DWCI have lived in both places and Brazil has some of the worst street crime I have seen (And I grew up in New York) BsAs is as good as can be expected, but as noted in other reports, you always ned to be aware, no matter where you are.

Daddy Rulz
12-08-05, 04:00
4. Make sure you see the type of people who are around your apartment. People might be waiting for you to leave so they can break in. Security people can easily be conned.Be very aware of people hanging around your front door. Push in home invasion is a really bad thing here. Also if the maid is taking out the trash or something also be aware when she returns. Sometimes they use a threat to the maid to gain access. If you see somebody that doesn't look right just keep walking, do another block and see if they are still there. Don't open your door until the coast is clear.

Fred88
12-08-05, 10:55
I hadn't know of this ATM scam, but it's insidious. Last night I went to the ATM nearest where I live to get some pesos. When I put my card in the slot, the screen asked for my PIN, which of course I entered -- and that was the end. The screen went blank for a few seconds and then came back on with a "out of order" message, and the machine wouldn't return my card.

What happened was that the criminal involved had put a thin metal sleeve into the card slot. This sleeve captures the card and records the PIN. When you finally leave in frustration and call to cancel your card, the thief comes into the bank and pulls out the sleeve -- with your card -- and runs to the nearest ATM and starts withdrawing money as fast as he can, usually in 500 peso increments.

I had my cell phone, called the number on the bank screen and learned that since mine was a US card they could only tell me to call and cancel the card. I called my bank in the US, experienced all kinds of waiting time and frustration, and was not in fact able to get the card cancelled until more than an hour later!

Of course in the meantime my account had been wiped out. It was "only" 1500 bucks, but it was my entire backup account for living here fulltime as a retiree.

I believe the bank (s) will reimburse all or nearly all of the money, but it will take time and hassles, I'm sure, and I also have to get another card sent from the US.

I later checked a bunch of websites and learned that you should always notice if the card slot looks "funny" in any way. The easiest way to tell is that the slot itself is very thin and just big enough to accept the card. It may also protrude a bit from the machine. But nonetheless it's a clever piece of work and easy to be fooled by if you're just on the way home and trying to get some cash. There's also another system where a tiny remote camera is mounted on the top of the ATM and views the keypad. Whee.

Live and learn -- I hope! Write me a note if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Peter / Fred 88

Andres
12-08-05, 11:59
Advice:

1) Try to go always to the same ATM machine, so you can easily figure out if there were some changes respect to card readers.

2) When slipping the card in the entrance reader, look if there are 2 readers instead of 1, and if there are loose cables. If so, chances are that you may be victim of a scheme.

3) These crooks usually insert Rx sheets folded into the card slot so as to recover the card. Before inserting your card in the machine, if you feel that there is some plastic object or other things inside the reader, don't release your card. Pull it back.

4) If possible, try to get cash during the day, and at a bank headquarter office in downtown. For instance, BankBoston has a branch in Florida 99, where there are (or there were) 8 ATMs in a row. It is very unlikely that such scheme could be set in such busy settings.

Hope this helps,

Andres.

I hadn't know of this ATM scam, but it's insidious. Last night I went to the ATM nearest where I live to get some pesos. When I put my card in the slot, the screen asked for my PIN, which of course I entered -- and that was the end. The screen went blank for a few seconds and then came back on with a "out of order" message, and the machine wouldn't return my card.

What happened was that the criminal involved had put a thin metal sleeve into the card slot. This sleeve captures the card and records the PIN. When you finally leave in frustration and call to cancel your card, the thief comes into the bank and pulls out the sleeve -- with your card -- and runs to the nearest ATM and starts withdrawing money as fast as he can, usually in 500 peso increments.

I had my cell phone, called the number on the bank screen and learned that since mine was a US card they could only tell me to call and cancel the card. I called my bank in the US, experienced all kinds of waiting time and frustration, and was not in fact able to get the card cancelled until more than an hour later!

Of course in the meantime my account had been wiped out. It was "only" 1500 bucks, but it was my entire backup account for living here fulltime as a retiree.

I believe the bank (s) will reimburse all or nearly all of the money, but it will take time and hassles, I'm sure, and I also have to get another card sent from the US.

I later checked a bunch of websites and learned that you should always notice if the card slot looks "funny" in any way. The easiest way to tell is that the slot itself is very thin and just big enough to accept the card. It may also protrude a bit from the machine. But nonetheless it's a clever piece of work and easy to be fooled by if you're just on the way home and trying to get some cash. There's also another system where a tiny remote camera is mounted on the top of the ATM and views the keypad. Whee.

Live and learn -- I hope! Write me a note if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Peter / Fred 88

Sportsman
12-09-05, 03:12
Another good reason for me to continue using my favorite ATM machines on Paraguay 720. The machines there only require the card to be swiped and not inserted into the machines. So there is no chance the machines to "eat" my card.

Daddy Rulz
12-09-05, 16:08
I just heard a report about a guy who was robbed back in 1992. I got this on very good authority as well. I heard it directly from Pepe.

Seems an American was stumbling around pissed drunk with a Rolex and several gold rings on this warm evening in 1992. In addition to the Rolex and gold, he had money falling out of all of his pockets. After stumbling around for a few blocks he fell asleep on the sidewalk. When he woke up he found the money missing out of his pockets and his Rolex was missing. In fact, they even took his roladex as well!

The next day several of the 8-year old street children were seen standing in front of his building. Seems word got around that these Americans are easy targets. I suggest when you see these type of criminal street children (gangs) that you run like hell to the closest police station and say "help a me! Help a me! I am an American, g-d, dammmmit!". You can never be too careful.

Be very cafeful out there! Remember, this is not NYC or East LA!The maid thing I described happened to my G / F's Dad. He ended up getting shot, they beat his maid, they killed his dogs, and took everything of value from his home.

A family down the street from her experianced the push in robbery thing. When He got out of the car and opened the garage two guys put a gun to his head and forced their way into the house. They didn't shoot anybody but they did rape his wife in front of him and the kids and stole everything of value as well.

There could be some people reading this board that don't think of things like this happening. I'm from a pretty small town and when I first started going to BsAs I did things that were pretty dangerous because I didn't know the risks. Over time I've learned and try to pass on what I know. Kinda like you taking the ugly girl missing her front teeth from Cattos. Was there a reason for busting my ass or are you just a dick?

SobeMiami
12-10-05, 02:51
On or about Nov. 30th I was the victim of an attempted robbery. I was in Recoleta walking with two friends in the mid afternoon. One man grabbed my wrist and watch from behind. Very sudden. I was in a high class location and I had no suspicion. The man severely damaged my rolex but he did not get it off my wrist. I yelled and he jumped on his accomplices bike and sped away. I will not bring any nice watches again.

Moore
12-10-05, 05:56
On or about Nov. 30th I was the victim of an attempted robbery. I was in Recoleta walking with two friends in the mid afternoon. One man grabbed my wrist and watch from behind. Very sudden. I was in a high class location and I had no suspicion. The man severely damaged my rolex but he did not get it off my wrist. I yelled and he jumped on his accomplices bike and sped away. I will not bring any nice watches again.Seriously?

That is my area and I have a nice watch. Is your watch gold? I believe that gold will attract trouble, Rolex or not.

Mpexy
04-07-06, 18:37
After a bit over 3 months living in BA, finally got my first counterfeit bill - a 10peso note.

After all the other posts here regarding being careful about receiving counterfeit money when getting change and the popular scenarios where it's passed (dark clubs, taxis, etc. I'd been used to making a very low effort but quick scan each time I got change back from situations where I expected it - dark clubs, taxis, etc.

But I recently went to a very nice restaurant in Recoleta, specifically near the La Recova area on Posadas, Carlos Peligrini, and Libertador street area. The place is called Juana M and has very nice grilled meats and pasta.

After paying for my meal, I recalled having a brief flash of making a mental note when I saw one of the 10p notes in my change was very new looking but that's all I thought about it and wasn't suspicious, I just thought at the time it was a new looking 10p note.

Turns out later when I got back to my apartment and was changing out of my clothes and dumping my loose cash and change onto my desk that I really saw that 10p note - it basically was so bad it looked like it came out of a very low grade desk jet / ink jet copier. Even a cursory glance at the upper number marker to see it wasn't the shiny reflective green would have noticed it but as I was in a very nice restaurant I wasn't doing my scan like I do when getting change back from cabs and clubs.

Anyways, I'm saving it as a souvenir.

Dickhead
04-07-06, 19:03
Read my report in the restaurant section about how they tried TWICE to rip us off on the bill. That area isn't Recoleta either.

Bairespirata
06-22-06, 22:31
BA Herald reports everyday on robberies and kidnappings. Foreigners doesn't seem to be the primary target. Instead it is carefully choosen elderly people or females that attracts the criminals, I. E. Those who are most unlikely to be able to make any resistance. This doesn't mean that foreigners are safe. One must take precautions. Don't ever carry anything of value that you don't need. Take radiotaxis from point A to be at night.