PDA

View Full Version : Learning Spanish

Hunt99
03-09-05, 12:28
One point, probably overlooked sometimes, is that the better your Spanish, the better your Buenos Aires experience will be.

With a few very notable exceptions, the chicas don't speak much English beyond "Hello baby!" and "What is your name?"

Every little bit you are able to practice from your rusty high-school Spanish will pay you dividends far and beyond the time you spend learning.

And when you do arrive, definitely don't be shy if your grammar or vocabulary aren't perfect. Just let fly with your best attempts at Spanish, I have never been made fun of or laughed at because of my poor Spanish. Just the opposite: even English-speaking Portenos appreciate my feeble attempts to wrap my tongue around some of the more difficult phrases.

El Aleman
03-09-05, 13:16
Hunt,

Nothing could be more true!

To be able to communicate has a lot of advantages, from the more practical ones that with decent language skills you are in a much better position to negotiate price and service, to the simple fact that it is just a hell of a lot more fun.

And, a good way to practice, and to get used to that particular porteño sound, is just spend time with the girls. Take them to dinner, talk about this and that, have them tell their stories etc.

As my old and wise father put it: there is no better place to learn a language than in bed.

El Alemán

Water Rat
03-09-05, 19:13
I agree, it pays to be a cunning linguist in so many ways.

ChicagoBoy23
04-04-05, 22:52
My chica would help me do my spanish homework in bed. She loved to take the tests with me and help me practice.

I would have been much better student in college if I had beautiful chica instructor :)

Silvina
05-10-05, 03:43
Hi Guys!

I hope that these pharses can help all Mongers. They are the words that the Argentineans use with the girls in the clubs. In others words, slang porteño.

In the club:

- Que buena estas! (You are so pretty!)
- Sos muy copada (You are cool)
- Que tomas? (Do you want to drink something?)
- Te quiero comer la boca! (I want kiss you!)
- Sos una perra! (Your body is fantastic!)
- Sos una diosa! (You are the best!)

Speaking of money:

- Cuanto pedis? (How much?)
- $300 mangos es mucho! ($300 is too much!)
- Ponete las pilas (Please be nice, I am not an idiot)
- OK, $200/ $150, y arreglamos (I love this price!)
- Que me das por eso? (What I get with that money?)

Basic Instincts:

- Me haces un pete sin globito? (Oral sex without condom, please say yes!)
- Me das la cola? / Te quiero hacer la cola! (I want anal sex)
- Que buen culo! (Your ass is great!)
- Te quiero acabar en las lolas / en la boca / en la cara
(I want to come in your tits / mouth / face)
- Chupame la pija! (Suck my dick!)
- No pares! (Please dont stop!)
- Queres mi leche? (Do you want my cum?)
- Haceme acabar con la mano! (Hand job)

Thanks and good night:

- Me mataste! (Good fuck!)
- Muy buena cogida! (Excellent fuck!)

Have fun!

Love,

Sil

David_33
05-10-05, 19:23
Silvina...is it "pides" or "pedis" ?

Silvina
05-10-05, 20:41
David33,

The answer to your question is PEDIS. In Argentina the spanish is very different, Pides is to much Latino Americano.

For example:

Queres pedir algo? / Pedis algo?

SIL

Jaimito Cartero
05-10-05, 22:29
Hmmm, it shows how different things are, language wise.

I´ve always been under the impression that ¨Sos una perra!¨ was a rude thing to say in Central America. I easily admit that my spanish is at the first or second grade level at best, though.

Thanks for the lessons, Silvena.

Silvina
05-10-05, 23:35
JC,

Yes, you are right, in Central America that expression means something bad.

In Argentina slang, it means that the girl has a mixture between beauty and eroticism.

Of course that phrase you do not say to a girl that you don't know, as it has a sexual connotation, but you can use it in a club or with your girlfriend.

Bye!

Sil

Incaboy
05-11-05, 01:36
Hmmm, it shows how different things are, language wise.

I´ve always been under the impression that ¨Sos una perra!¨ was a rude thing to say in Central America. I easily admit that my spanish is at the first or second grade level at best, though.

Thanks for the lessons, Silvena.

perra means b-i-t-c-h as in a female perro or dog

I wonder if this is a context issue where it could mean something good or bad.

Jaimito Cartero
05-11-05, 17:46
JC,

Yes, you are right, in Central America that expression means something bad.

In Argentina slang, it means that the girl has a mixture between beauty and eroticism.

Of course that phrase you do not say to a girl that you don't know, as it has a sexual connotation, but you can use it in a club or with your girlfriend.

Bye!

Sil

Oh, sure NOW you tell me I can´t use it on the street. I got slapped 3 times yesterday! :)

Bjoel
07-22-06, 23:55
I have enough spanish to understand most of what is on the spanish foro at BG. One word has me stumped. What does "onda" refer to. My basic spanish says "wave" but it must mean something else.

Dickhead
07-23-06, 00:58
It is like how you hit it off, or chemistry. For example a chica might sleep with you "por plata" (for money) or "por onda" (because she digs you) "Una buena onda" is a good experience, or you "clicked" or there was good chemistry. It does indeed literally mean wave. Waves go up and down and come and go and some are better than others.

There is a chain of gift / junk shops called "Onda Shop." Go into one and you will see what I am talking about.

Bjoel
07-23-06, 01:04
Thanks DH. I was leaning toward that interpretation, but your explanation clarified it.

Moore
07-23-06, 02:49
Can also refer to intent. For instance, "te lo digo de buena onda" can mean, basically, "I'm telling you this as your friend".

Though a somewhat versatile word, "onda" best translates as "vibe". Buena onda = good vibes usually. Literally, onda means wave as in sound/other wave. Microwave is micro-onda. A wave in the ocean is ola.

Dickhead
07-23-06, 03:28
Again I think we have some regional variances. Surfers in Perú are always talking about catching the best "onda" or ocean wave. But, I've also heard "ola" as an ocean wave as Moore says. I've also heard "ola" used to refer to a heat wave. "Vibe" is an excellent and concise definition of how they use "onda" here in BA. Good job, Moore. I don't agree so much about what he says about microwave ovens as I usually see them referred to as "microhondas" and not "micro-ondas"; it would be pronounced the same either way. I suspect that etemology came from "honda" or oven in general rather than "onda" or wave in general.

Here's a good one I learned recently. "Barrilete" translates as "kite." Here it means a gal who sleeps around or moves from guy to guy and hence is somewhat pejorative or derogatory. In explaining this my friend moved her hand like a kite, going this way and that way as if with the whims of the wind. She said another way to call a woman a **** is "cualquiera" which literally translates into "whichever" or "any," as in: "Necesito una crema para mi piel" (I need some skin cream) "Qué tipo de crema?" "Cualquier crema." (What kind of cream do you want? Any kind will do; whatever skin cream you have to offer I will accept kind of thing)

Moore
07-23-06, 04:00
I am not a great speller and guessed at "micro-onda", now looking at the word in use I see it is "microondas". The "onda" in this case appears to be a direct translation of wave to me; actually I'm surprised it's not just called a microwave in Spanish. Most technical and not-so-techical word imports from English aren't translated.

Except for the slang use, "onda" seems to refer to wave in the technical sense (like a sine wave or a microwave) and thus microwave got microondas. "Ola" seems to refer to wave in common usage like ocean wave or heat wave or even a wave of kidnappings.

I know nothing of the subtle differences in Peruvian Spanish, but are you sure that those surfers aren't referring to the sensation of the ride and not the wave itself when they say "onda"?

What does honda mean?

Dickhead
07-23-06, 13:50
Honda means "sling" according to my dictionary. My dictionary (British) does indeed also say "microonda" with no "h" but I googled "microhonda" and came up with a bunch of ads for microwaves, and that's how I'm used to seeing it spelled. My guess would be that is to avoid having the same sound twice in a row, as is the case in "el agua" and "el ala." Both those nouns are feminine but if a feminine noun begins with "a" and the stress is on the beginning syllable, you change the "la" to "el." Similar logic applies with, for example "Martin and Sons Plumbing"; it is "Martínez e Hijos." Ditto for "or others"; it is "u otros" and not "o otros." Note that in the first case, the plural reverts to "las"; "el ala" but "las alas."

Fun stuff, huh? As far as the Perú thing goes, you could be right. I don't recall the conversation that well. They call condoms "ponchos" in Perú if that helps.

Out for Flesh
08-17-06, 23:29
Honda means "sling" according to my dictionary. My dictionary (British) does indeed also say "microonda" with no "h" but I googled "microhonda" and came up with a bunch of ads for microwaves, and that's how I'm used to seeing it spelled. My guess would be that is to avoid having the same sound twice in a row, as is the case in "el agua" and "el ala." "Microhonda" is just wrong (unless someone wants to refer to a microscopical sling:-) If it's written like that, it's a typo. The 'h' in the middle does change the sound of any of the 'o'. Googling for 'microhonda' give me 768 hits, and 376,000 for 'microonda'. Well, the latter is the winner!

Your observation about 'el agua' and the rest is very precise. Let me add only that even in this case you say 'una ala' (or 'esta ala') because the stress in 'una' is on the 'u' (I. E. It _has_ stress, while 'la' and 'el' do not have a proper stress)

Master J
05-04-07, 04:07
Received a nice email from a newbie I am pursuing in Coronel Suarez. Any info on what is going on there besides Polo? Worth a side trip next time I am in BA? Anyway in her letter she uses the word joda, which on babel comes up as screw, but on a new translation site http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp they use fuck. Any comments regarding?

Thanks

Lunico
05-04-07, 04:43
I've heard Joda mean to bother from the verb joder.

No jodes would mean don't bother me. I've heard Argentines say "Podes dejar de joder"?

Would you stop bothering me?

My 2 cents.

Lunico
05-04-07, 04:44
Oh, and this bbs site is really neat. Interactive media and everything. Best of all its free!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/

JuanCaminante
05-04-07, 05:29
Received a nice email from a newbie I am pursuing in Coronel Suarez. Any info on what is going on there besides Polo? Worth a side trip next time I am in BA? Anyway in her letter she uses the word joda, which on babel comes up as screw, but on a new translation site http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp they use fuck. Any comments regarding? Thanks.Could mean absolutely anything depending on the context.

Screw, bother or even a good night out

Andres
05-04-07, 07:56
Received a nice email from a newbie I am pursuing in Coronel Suarez. Any info on what is going on there besides Polo? Worth a side trip next time I am in BA? Anyway in her letter she uses the word joda, which on babel comes up as screw, but on a new translation site http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp they use fuck. Any comments regarding? Thanks.It could also mean tease or joke or something funny or not very serious.

Coronel Suarez is located aprox 500 km from BA, somewhat 6-8 hour car ride. Some trekking nearby, but not much else (not worth a trip by itself)

Andres

Artisttyp
05-12-07, 11:40
I've been learning spanish for awhile now but I couldn't find the word for
"thinning shears " in my dictionary or translator. I know tijeras is scissors and fino / a is the word for thin.

I can put those words in the same sentence but it just doesn't sound as good as " I need *thinning shears on top"

Anyone have any idea?

Why the big deal? I've never gotten a haircut in latin america and I'm passing up $2 haircuts all over the place.

Geo Eye
05-12-07, 21:10
Received a nice email from a newbie I am pursuing in Coronel Suarez. Any info on what is going on there besides Polo? Worth a side trip next time I am in BA? Anyway in her letter she uses the word joda, which on babel comes up as screw, but on a new translation site http://translation2.paralink.com/lowres.asp they use fuck. Any comments regarding?

ThanksBE CAREFUL.