PDA

View Full Version : El Palacio de la Papa Frita

Young & Restless
04-30-05, 12:07
El Palacio de la Papa Frita
Lavalle, 735 (Centro)
Tel: 4393-5849 / 4394-7060
http://www.elpalacio-papafrita.com.ar/index0f.htm

This restaurant's trademark is their puffed french fries that they serve. I had the bife de chorrizo con milanesa(??). I've heard the term milanesa used in Brazil also and I'm still not exactly sure what it means, but this milanesa was a thin slice of ham with melted white cheese on top of the steak. Delicious! I was shocked when the bill came and the total was only AP $45. You would be lucky to get this same meal for twice that amount in the US.

My recommendation is to come here and order the bife de chorrizo con milanesa, give your heart the middle finger and pour lots of salt on the papas fritas, and wash it all down with a nice bottle of Malbec. Definitely add this restaurant to your itinerary.

Daddy Rulz
04-30-05, 15:18
In my part of the world we call it a chicken fried steak, but without the gravey. I think with ham and cheese it becomes a chicken fried steak completo. Personally I like them normal with some lemon squeezed on it.

Incaboy
04-30-05, 16:55
El Palacio de la Papa Frita
Lavalle, 735 (Centro)
Tel: 4393-5849 / 4394-7060
http://www.elpalacio-papafrita.com.ar/index0f.htm

This restaurant's trademark is their puffed french fries that they serve. I had the bife de chorrizo con milanesa(??). I've heard the term milanesa used in Brazil also and I'm still not exactly sure what it means, but this milanesa was a thin slice of ham with melted white cheese on top of the steak. Delicious! I was shocked when the bill came and the total was only AP $45. You would be lucky to get this same meal for twice that amount in the US.

My recommendation is to come here and order the bife de chorrizo con milanesa, give your heart the middle finger and pour lots of salt on the papas fritas, and wash it all down with a nice bottle of Malbec. Definitely add this restaurant to your itinerary.

There are many forms of milanesa here. It's the kind of thing you eat when you are hungry and want something simple. It's on most menus.

You'll notice the "Milan" in milanesa. That's because this dish is thought to have originated in northern Italy where one of its names is cotoletta alla milanese. Italians are the largest immigrant group here so it's no surprise to see milanesa everywhere. This dish crossed the border into Austria where they call it schnitzel. The famous Wiener schnitzel is a schnitzel made from veal. Bife de chorizo is simply one of the local cuts of beef. You'll see other variants like milanesa de pollo (chicken).

Paying half price for food here compared to the U.S. usually means someone is ripping you off. :D

Damn, I'm having another milanesa craving.

Dickhead
04-30-05, 17:29
Place a large bowl in between two plates. Assuming you are right handed, put flour on the plate on your left. Do not use "harina leudante" which has baking powder in it. Avoid the temptation to add too many spices to the flour but you could put a crushed green herb in there appropriate to what you are going to make milanesa out of.

Crack two eggs in the bowl and add half a cup of milk and beat it up a little. Don't beat the shit out of it and don't stick your slimy fingers in there yet. On the right hand plate you are going to put your "rebozador" which is the breading, a flour base. Some of these already have particular flavors but let's get the plain and then tailor it to the dish, eh? This is enough to processs four victims.

Me, I might add some ground white or black pepper, some paprika, and especially some very dry parmesan. Don't use fresh grated reggiano or anything like that, though. Don't use anything that burns easily such as garlic, or suffer the consequences.

Prepare the victim: Thinly pounded or formed: beef, pork, chicken, soy patty, trout, rabbit, frog legs ... mmm

Place the evenly pounded victim in the plate of flour. Coat the victim thoroughly. Drag the screaming victim through the egg/milk mixture, again coating it thoroughly. Hang the little son of a ***** up by its heels over the bowl not over the breading you fucking slob to allow most of the excess batter to drip back into the god damn bowl and not all over the fucking counter. Gently lower the victim into its eventual tomb of breading and coat it thoroughly with the breading, patching any bare spots with library paste. Just kidding. Why are there any god damn bare spots when I just told you to coat it thoroughly? Jesus. What is wrong with you people?

Refrigerate this for several hours before sauteéing it in some well lubricated medium such as a heavy skillet or a flat grill. Don't use some piece of shit little aluminum thing or you'll burn the shit out of it. And keep it off the god damn parilla grill. Only turn it once. If you have to turn it more than once the pan wasn't hot enough. I like to use some butter mixed with some other oil like olive oil or vegetable oil or even all three of those cuz olive oil has a really strong taste.

That's the basic milanesa and suprema usually means topped with maybe a nice dry ham or prosciutto, tomato sauce, and often times cheese. I think maybe my best ones were the pork milanesas I fed to Rosie and Rafaela from Catto's the night I tag teamed them, but I didn't have time to make a nice sauce. You could use hollandaise.

Incaboy
04-30-05, 18:21
Place the evenly pounded victim in the plate of flour. Coat the victim thoroughly. Drag the screaming victim through the egg/milk mixture, again coating it thoroughly. Hang the little son of a ***** up by its heels over the bowl not over the breading you fucking slob to allow most of the excess batter to drop back into the god damn bowl and not all over the fucking counter. Gently lower the victim into its eventual tomb of breading and coat it thoroughly with the breading, patching any bare spots with library paste. Just kidding. Why are there any god damn bare spots when I just told you to coat it thoroughly? Jesus. What is wrong with you people?

Spanking chicas tilll their bottoms are red and now this? :D

You need to get yourself a carpincho dog collar with spikes so we can identify you in the clubs.

WorldTravel69
05-01-05, 12:57
Maybe it taste better if you make your own. The ones I have had at the restaurants were horrendous. I thought my heart would stop. Why would anyone eat that shit?
WT69

Lunico
10-28-05, 00:59
Fine chicas all over the place at 1 today. Ordered the Pollo a la provenciana. Provincial chicken? I reckon its just not very sophisticated, pan sauteed chicken with garlic and herbs and potatoes. Very good. 24 pesos included an apettizer, entree, drink, desert.

12-05-09, 07:25
I've never had the milanesa there. Sorry Dickhead. But the Palacio's puffed french fries are the best I've ever eaten anywhere! Also, they consistently have the best Noquis (sorry for the Porteno spelling) I've eaten in the city! Where else can you get a great piece of Filet Mignon, sublime fries, noquis, dessert and coffee for 25 pesos? I also really like the cafe Madeline (on Callo. Its a great diner!

Enjoy,

Ariel