PDA

View Full Version : Cabaña Las Lilas

Young & Restless
04-30-05, 12:20
Cabaña Las Lilas
Av. Alicia Moreau de Justo 516 (Puerto Madero)
Puerto Madero C1107AAL
Tel.: (54-11) 4313-1336
http://www.laslilas.com/estructura.htm

I’ve read so many reviews on this restaurant and was expecting something spectacular. I ordered the bife de chorizo, fried provoleta and a chiquitito of San Telmo Malbec.

The appetizer plate (couverts?) that they bring to your table was very good, but they charge you AP $13 for it. Also, watch out for the pan de queso (cheese bread), it is the best that I’ve ever eaten and if you don’t pace yourself with this stuff, you’ll find yourself full before your food gets to the table.

The bife de chorizo had not let me down while I was in BsAs, but I didn’t really notice any thing too special about it here. While it was a really big steak, I thought it was somewhat bland. The fried provoleta could have been better too, as it was a little dry and overcooked.

I liked Cabaña Las Lilas, but after going to a few other parrillas (steakhouses) before I came here, this place just seemed to be the Outback of Argentina.

Total price for everything mentioned above, plus a bottle of water was AP $115,80. Notice that for ½ a bottle of San Telmo Malbec, they charged AP $31. That is painfully overpriced since that same bottle sells for about AP $5 retail.

Again I had a good meal here, but I wouldn’t say that this place is a must try, even if it is your first time in BsAs.

Hunt99
05-01-05, 21:05
Total price for everything mentioned above, plus a bottle of water was AP $115,80. Notice that for ½ a bottle of San Telmo Malbec, they charged AP $31. That is painfully overpriced since that same bottle sells for about AP $5 retail.

Again I had a good meal here, but I wouldn’t say that this place is a must try, even if it is your first time in BsAs.For how many was that 113? For two people that is a good deal compared to shit places like, say, Outback Steakhouse. For one, it is not so expensive. This is an excellent steakhouse, if you want the cheapest of the cheap, there are a lot of candidates in BsAs.

Jaimito Cartero
05-01-05, 22:10
For how many was that 113? For two people that is a good deal compared to shit places like, say, Outback Steakhouse. For one, it is not so expensive. This is an excellent steakhouse, if you want the cheapest of the cheap, there are a lot of candidates in BsAs.Since he mentioned the wine, appetizers and steak, I'd guess it was for one person. Entrees here are 30-45 each, wine 31, 13 for appetizer, plus other stuff.

This is a good place. I ate there a couple of years back, a bunch of WSG guys came there. I prefer the ribeye there.

Hunt99
05-02-05, 10:36
Since he mentioned the wine, appetizers and steak, I'd guess it was for one person. Entrees here are 30-45 each, wine 31, 13 for appetizer, plus other stuff.

This is a good place. I ate there a couple of years back, a bunch of WSG guys came there. I prefer the ribeye there.Probably so, Jaimito. It's the best steakhouse in town, bar none. Its beef comes from its own private farm, they get the first share of the best ingredients from all the markets, etc.... Spending US$50 for a meal here is a great deal. Would I eat there every night? Of course not. But I won't go slagging it off as being too expensive, either.

Incaboy
05-02-05, 15:50
Y&R, you're not alone. I've read reviews on other sites by those disappointed in this place. I visited last year and I too was disappointed. My bife de lomo was also a bit overcooked and tough. That steak would not have held up to a chain Outback joint. The piece of meat I had was not the best. The fact they have their own ranch gives them even less excuse. I haven't gone back. You'll also see glowing reviews which leads me to believe this place is inconsistent. It is the most overhyped tourist steakhouse in the city, there having been a very positive New York Times review some time back and then the inevitable listing in all the tourist books. Better can certainly be had in this city.

Daddy Rulz
05-02-05, 19:14
I've never been to Las Lilas but have been to La Estancia on Lavalle a lot and love it. Has anybody been to both? Which would you recomend?

Young & Restless
05-02-05, 19:20
I’m a little confused here. When did I say that it was expensive? All I did was state how much everything cost (it was dinner for one, btw). The main reason I did that was so people would have an idea about how much to expect to spend. Yeah, I thought the wine was overpriced and I still think that it was overpriced. Not that big of a deal. Cabaña Las Lilas is not a bad steakhouse. I just didn’t think it was as great as I was expecting it to be. Like I said, my steak tasted bland. Maybe the Bife de Chorrizo was the wrong thing to order? I don’t know. Anyway, it’s all about what you enjoy. If this is a place that you like, than come eat here. To treat yourself here on occasions will not force anyone to postpone their retirement and there is not anything wrong with splurging sometimes.

Bon appetite!

Y & R

Hunt99
05-21-05, 12:20
I ate lunch here twice recently. Fabulous. Exceptional wine list in addition to wonderful steaks and accompanyments. Not inexpensive - but if I compare it to a recent meal I had at a high-end US steakhouse, the quality, ambience, service, and food were comparable.

If you live in BsAs, you won't eat here every day. But as a tourist, I could probably pull off that feat without being too unhappy.

In the US, the tab was US$250. Here, 200 pesos. (For two.)

(Note to diners - Argentine steaks tend to be tougher than US meat because they are not fed grain diets. The same cut of meat will always be tougher in Argentina. However, the tradeoff is that it will be much more flavorful. If tenderness is a priority, stick with the ribeye (Ojo de Bife) or the tenderloin. Sirloins and flank steaks will not be to your liking.)

El Aleman
09-25-06, 01:34
I had lunch there today (after not being in Cabaña Las Lilas for a couple of years) and my impression is:

Quality - excellent, no doubt about it. Tender, tasty, everything you want from a perfect steak. Plus a nice ambience and good service. And, as mentioned, a very impressive wine list.

Prices: before the crash of 2001, they had the same prices as in a comparable place New York or SF. In 2002, they were cheap (exactly by a factor of 3) Today, they are back on the US level - and that is ridiculously expensive for Argentinean standards. Most cuts around A$R 55,-.

Amazing, however, that most guests were Argentineans, not foreigners. Still a lot of money around.

A general observation comparing Argentinean with US beef, coming from somebody who lives in neither country and is rather unbiased: US usually is more tender, Argentinean often tastier. I think the reason is that cattle in Argentina is all open range, has to use those muscles, whereas US beef gets raised without moving too much, and a heartier diet. I don't say one is better that the other, just different.

El Alemán

Hunt99
09-25-06, 10:27
You know, I ate here a couple of times over my last two trips a couple of months ago, but didn't update my comments on this thread.

I think this place is no longer the best steakhouse in BsAs. I do think it has gotten overpriced for the competition, and the quality was just good, not great.

This is representative of the wonderful state of Porteno restaurants, more than for any shortcomings of this particular restaurant. It's still good, but I am willing to be impressed by other places even more.

Easy Go
09-26-06, 01:35
AR$55 is still much cheaper than the high end steakhouses in the US. I paid US$48 for the NY strip at Prime in the Belagio (Las Vegas) the other night and about the same at Cut in LA a few months back (where the Kobe was $30/ ounce with a 5 oz minimum) Both Prime and Cut were excellent but you are talking about $150/ person even with a "cheap" bottle of wine (I don't recall any bottle under $75 in Prime)

AR$55 is more like the cost at a Black Angus or similar steakhouse chain these days.

I can think of a few other places in BA where the lomo is around $AR45-55 so $AR55 isn't completely insane. But I'm usually quite happy with the places that are less than 1/2 that price.

El Aleman
09-26-06, 01:49
Today I had lunch in "Happening", also Puerto Madero, one block west of Las Lilas. Same ambience, same quality, same service, but prices 40% less (around A$R 30. 35 for a typical main course) And one in the party was the same Argentine business friend that invited on Sunday.

We agreed that the price calculation of the better BA restaurants is not rational. Las Lilas has a reputation, and tries to milk that cow as long as possible.

Hunt, I agree 100% with your comment.

2 centavos from an overfed Alemán.

The next days I will concentrate a bit more on calory burning activities. Just coming back from Newport with some phone numbers in my pocket. Report to follow.

Vsg888
09-26-06, 16:03
I love the quality of Las Lilas' beef. That's why I go.

But I switch in a heartbeat if there are options.

Can some of you recommend places that have the same quality but at lower cost?

Thanks

Hunt99
09-26-06, 17:29
Can some of you recommend places that have the same quality but at lower cost? Check out Estilo Campo, also in Puerto Madero. Last time I was down the prices there were a good bit lower than Cabana, and I think the quality was better.

Some of the posters here like a place called Aquillos Anos, out in Costanera Norte.

Capt Dave
09-26-06, 18:53
A few of us had dinner there just the other night, and it was just fine!

Service was first class, everything was good, and the prices are still SUBSTANCIALLY lower then Cabana las Lilas (which used to be my favorite, but no more!)

Aquellos Anos is also very good, but is in la Costanera, so it's a little bit of a treck.

David

Exon123
09-26-06, 20:46
Estilo Campo.

I love Estilo Campo but I'm not allowed in their anymore.

Exon

El Aleman
09-26-06, 20:48
VSG,

I thought I just gave exactly that advice - one post below yours.

?

A little bit confused Alemán

Moore
09-27-06, 00:30
Estilo Campo is excellent - one of my favorite restaurants anywhere in the world. I've always preferred it to Cabana Las Lilas and usually bring foreign visitors there. Their prices have probably increased only as much as everyone elses since the devaluation, except Cababa Las Lilas which raises their prices about 2X everywhere else.

I've always been disappointed with Happening. It's like they think that you simply set up shop in Puerto Madero and that automatically makes it a first rate joint. I've had some poor meals there, such as bondiola and even steak. The bar area there is very cool though. I suppose that Dickhead strikes up interesting political/other conversations with strangers in the men's room there.

Polvo
10-30-06, 22:04
Alicia Moreau de Justo 516, (Puerto Madero) Tel: 4313-1336

If you want to go posh at lunch, this is a good option. It is not recommended for vegetarians. Local businessmen and and other varied upper crust twats go there for business lunches. The outside veranda is good for watching chicas go past and rating their racks.

As far as the food goes as long as you are prepared for a large dead animal to be plonked on your plate all is fine. Excellent quality, good service but pricey as hell. (I was not paying - yipee! 2 people - kidneys and sweetmeats for appertizer, half-bottle of wine (OK - we're wimps) flan and the biggest ef*ing steak I have ever seen $150 pesos.

Do recommend it, if budget is not an issue.

Polvo

Thomaso276
10-30-06, 23:02
I buy (actually my GF buys) the brand Lilas carne in the Disco. Ojo de Bife about 20 pesos a kilo, always a great cut. Same steaks they serve in their restaurant. Get three beautiful steaks from a kilo. Works out to about 3 dollars a pound (I remember when it was $1.50) Still cheap.

Chascomus
11-05-06, 18:50
I was in Cabania las lilas, and I have to admit the service was very good, but the prices were definately targeted to foreigners. And executives. True, they are in Puerto Madero, and they give you this beautiful plate of little appetizers. But, I eat ALL over this country. Usually in the nicer places, but NEVER had I seen a plate of "Ojo de Bife" for $42 pesos! Dam! I can get the same exact cut at "La Portenio" or any other decent nice place for usually not more than $12. Maybe $14 pesos?

It is a place I ONLY go if someone else invites me! Hint)

Jaimito Cartero
11-05-06, 19:05
And executives. True, they are in Puerto Madero, and they give you this beautiful plate of little appetizers. I'd check your bill a little closer. They don't give you anything there for free. I seem to recall they charged $5 a person for the "free" stuff.

BadMan
11-08-06, 11:57
I buy (actually my GF buys) the brand Lilas carne in the Disco. Ojo de Bife about 20 pesos a kilo, always a great cut. Same steaks they serve in their restaurant. Get three beautiful steaks from a kilo. Works out to about 3 dollars a pound (I remember when it was $1.50) Still cheap.Thanks for the heads up on that one Thomaso, I went to the Jumbo in palermo today and I looked and found some Cabana las lilas tenderloins and hamburgers, they also had about 4 other premium brands apart from the regular stuff. I got a 1.60 Kilogram tenderloin of Cabana beef for like 35 pesos, I can cut like 6-8 filets from that one piece.

Thanks again man,.

Badboy

Thomaso276
11-08-06, 12:41
Cut 'em thick for the best flavor. Enjoy

BadMan
02-06-07, 12:45
I finally made my way here last night,

It was my guests last night in BA, and I decided to take them here hoping to impress them a little. Well, what can I say. The restaurant is nice, it is a great location in Puerto Madero and the food was good. We got there around 9 PM, We waited around 20 minutes for our table. They have a beeper system. You sign in and they hand you a pager and it beeps when your table is ready. Well the restaurant is nice, though they don't have central air, just a bunch of fans (which is kind of tacky for such a pricey place) The service was excellent, also like Houston's, the wait staff works as a team. There was someone who took our drink order, another person in a suit and tie took our food order and then a third waiter served us with an assistant from the kitchen, not to mention there was always a guy walking around refilling our bread basket. There was never a moment when a waiter wasn't a few feet away. The service IMHO was extremely well planned out and well executed, a really top quality place in that regard. Now onto the food. Well as soon as you sit down, they place a large tray of appetizers, meats cheeses, breads veggies, steamed salmon and so on. So you don't really need to order an appetizer. I did, I ordered the empanadas, and they were good, though, IMHO the ones at El Mirasol are better, those are deep fried and these were baked. But they were good none the less. I ordered a tenderloin, I had been edging towards the T-bone, but I opted for the tenderloin to be able to compare. Well the steak was delicious and cooked " a punto " perfectly. The quality of beef is very good here. I also ordered mashed potatoes and they were very good as well, almost tasted home made. I ordered a Mojito bez alcohol just like I always do and this is where I found the first flaw. It was " crap ", it wasn't cold, the ice wasn't crushed, they didn't add any 7-UP to compensate for the missing rum, it basically tasted like a luke warm bland lemon aide, YUCK. The service was excellent, the food was very good, not the best I have had, but very good. I found their bar lacking in basic Mojito making skills.

Now onto the price, we all ate for about 100 pesos per person. So a meal for 5 was about 500 pesos including tip. Not bad. And if you take into account the fact that the same meal at Sparks, Mortons, or Dal Rae, would set you back around 500 US, you do appreciate the quality. For BA standards it is expensive, and you can find food that is just as good for less, but if you compare it to similair quality places in the US, for a tourist who wants a Sparks experience for a third of the price, this is the place to go.

Bad

QuakHunter
02-11-07, 20:04
I was at Cabana Las Lillas several times before 2001, and revisited last April. The place has maintained its quality and is a value when compared against any country and major Metropolitan center.

The staff during our last visit was unbelievable. Myself and three Amigos stopped by for drinks at opening around 7:00pm. In trying to figure out plans for the evening, one of the Chica's from our previous evening before our Dove Hunting trip walked by. The game was on! She called four of her friends and we met in the lounge. The manager and staff treated us like royalty, as opposed to being an instant Pariah in the states. They provided us with appetizers and deserts gratis and made room for us to eat in the lounge. (Of course the 22 bottles of Luigi Bosca helped with their profit margins)

When we left at 12:30 and $500us poorer, the manger called a driver and took us to the Claridge at no cost.

We return in March and will definitely be there again.

Jackson
03-10-08, 01:45
Greetings everyone,

I was recently contacted by a group of guys who were visiting BA on their annual "Golfing trip" with their buddies. Having met a number of these hunting / fishing / golfing trip "We're all Big Swinging Dicks back home" groups in the past, I know that they're typically big spenders at dinner and cheap spenders with the chicas, but the latter is a different story.

Anyway, the guys invited me to dinner, so I met them at their hotel where I made several restaurant suggestions, including l'Alliance, but of course one guy had asked for a recommendation from the concierge, who of course recommended Cabaña Las Lilas. I decided that since they were paying, what the fuck did I care.

The service was excellent and all the steaks were the same quality as l'Alliance. On that night my bife de lomo and accompanying sauteed mushrooms were perhaps 95% of the quality that I've become accustomed to expect from l'Alliance on any given night, but let's assume for the sake of argument that the food at both restaurants is equal.

Here's the kicker: The bill for 10 guys, without wine, coffee or dessert, was $1,500 fucking pesos, including an astonishing $20 pesos per person cubierto! That's $150 pesos per person, or approximately 3 times what the same meal would have been at l'Alliance or dozens of other non-tourist restaurants in BA.

Do I need to say anything more?

Thanks,

Jackson

Jaimito Cartero
03-10-08, 02:22
Here's the kicker: The bill for 10 guys, without wine, coffee or dessert, was $1,500 fucking pesos, including an astonishing $20 pesos per person cubierto! That's $150 pesos per person, or approximately 3 times what the same meal would have been at l'Alliance or dozens of other non-tourist restaurants in BA.

Do I need to say anything more?Yeah, dumb guys everywhere. I think the cubierto was 15-18 pesos when I went with the family a couple of years ago. They did give you some stuff with it, but most wasn't anything I would have willingly paid for.

A fool and his money.

Aqualung
03-10-08, 02:26
In a similar situation, a dozen fishermen two weeks ago paid US$70 each for a steak dinner plus wine! As you say, the service was excellent but the stake was no better than the one Ramiro serves up for a fraction of the price! And the wine I can get at the local supermarket for US$17 per bottle!