PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Mayo - 1245 Avenida de Mayo

Jaimito Cartero
05-13-05, 11:55
Iīve been on a quest for the best reasonably priced steak in town since I got here more than a week ago. Iīve been somewhat sidetracked with chicas, so I havenīt focused my total attention to it yet.

Mo had mentioned a good place close to his apartment. So I decided to check it out. For some reason, I keep waking up too late for lunch, but too early for dinner. I guess I should go to bed before 6am.

I got to Rancho Mayo at about 6:30pm. Itīs a big place, but only one other table was occupied when I came in. Theyīve got some set menus that are pretty good deals (15 pesos or so), but I was here for the Lomo, so no distractions.

The cubierto here is 2 pesos, but you actually get something for it. You get the usual bread basket, plus a medium sized empanada and a small glass of wine.

I order the Lomo for 17 pesos. Things arenīt exactly hopping here. It takes about 20 minutes to come. While Iīm waiting, I notice that one of the bus boys is out talking to a chica on the street. She looks kind of cute from 60 feet away. Iīm 5 booths in from the street, but she smiles and gives me ĻIīll fuck youĻ look and inquires whether I want her to come over or not. By reflex, I shake my head no, and she starts to walk away.

I realize that Iīm stupid, and even if I donīt feel like fucking her at that moment, I should at least get her number. Oh well. I figure Iīll walk the neighborhood afterwards and see if I can spot her.

The steak comes. Itīs a big portion (350 grams, Iīd guess). Itīs tender, but not horribly flavorful. It varies between medium on the edges and medium rare in the middle. I decide to just eat it, and not complain. Itīs certainly filling.

Total damage is 22 pesos with an Agua. This place is a bit worn. You can tell all the glassware and tableware are used a lot. Most have small chips, and the booths have seen better years.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Pricing for the portion was good, and service was decent. They have a large salad bar, but I didnīt partake. Iīve included a couple of pictures for those interested in such ĻNaked foodĻ pictures.

I then walk down the street and see the chica (Alejandra) sitting next to the door to the Hotel Chile. Surprise, surprise. She was definitely working. Up close, she had a lot of mileage. The purple in her hair was cute, but I think I can do better in BA. I got her number, just to emulate MM. :)