PDA

View Full Version : José Luis, Pte. M Quintana 456 I think

Dickhead
05-15-05, 01:27
This is a seafood place. It is sort of southern Spanish (as opposed to Basque) cuisine. Mickey Mouse and Stormy took me here on my birthday (thanks guys) and it is quite nice. I would say it is reasonably priced although not Dickhead priced. There are a few really expensive things on the menu, including the appetizer menu, but I don't think anyone takes those items too seriously. But I had the swordfish ("pez") and I think it was 26 or 28 pesos for a generous portion. The service was very good although officious; the waitress took Stormy to task for always ordering the same wine and suggested a different one. The wine was good, or great, or mediocre; WTF do I know about wine? I believe the wine we selected was made from some type of grape and had alcohol in it. They don't have any tap beer for which points must be deducted. The shrimp appetizer was very good but I thought the squid appetizer was overcooked. Squeaky clean bathrooms and overall a very nice ambience.

IWR

Dickhead
05-31-05, 22:51
Address is correct. Between Callao and Ayacucho. Went here again last night with EZE and El Ricardo. Had the younger, cuter, less officious waitress who, it occurs to me, may be the daughter. I was going to have the sea bass but we ended up having an appetizer with shrimp and scrambled eggs and some other seafood, and a mixed seafood platter that was allegedly for two but among the three of us we could not eat it all. The clams were overcooked and gummy but all else was very good. Dinner for three with two bottles of water, four beers, and three coffees after came to 135 p = good value because we decimated many denizens of the deep. Nice friendly place, clean and well-lit, good bathrooms. Never trust a restaurant with dirty bathrooms. Waitress would be moderately successful if put on the program. IWR.

Stormy
10-15-06, 14:40
This place describes itself as a Spanish restaurant. The main thrust is seafood, but they have a number of meat items on the menu, including rabbit and lamb.

Have eaten here many times and the food and service have been consistantly very good. Portions can be quite large, but this evening the fish main was exactly right for one.

Saturday night about 9:15 pm on the holiday weekend, several tables open, no one smoking. Excellent meal of mussels, 18 p. As a starter (really could be for two people) and then Salmon Rosado with boiled potatos, (two small pieces, perfectly prepared) 30p + 5p. Bottle of Luigi Bosca Sauvignon Blanc, 50 p. Water 4p and service charge 3p. For a total of 110 p. Plus tip 12 p for a total of 122p.

Excellent meal and I staggered off to Excedra for a hot chocolate and a conversation with several mongers.

(priceless)