PDA

View Full Version : El Salto de las Ranas

Dickhead
05-15-05, 01:32
Rodríguz Peña between Santa Fe and Arenales. The name means Jumping Frog. This is supposed to be a Méxican restaurant. I have been here 3 times now. They have no clue. Avoid. It's only been open a couple of months and I doubt it will last long. Particularly avoid the carnitas. Go to the Peruvian place next door instead, "Las Cholitas."

Jaimito Cartero
05-15-05, 13:01
Rodríguz Peña between Santa Fe and Arenales. The name means Jumping Frog. This is supposed to be a Méxican restaurant. I have been here 3 times now. They have no clue. Avoid. It's only been open a couple of months and I doubt it will last long. Particularly avoid the carnitas. Go to the Peruvian place next door instead, "Las Cholitas."

I hesitate to ask, but if it´s bad, why go back 3 times? For real Mexican food, I know that Taco Bell is the only choice. Just like for all Italian food, Pizza Hut is the king. I´m quite glad that I haven´t spotted a Pizza Hut, Subway or Taco Bell in BA. I wouldn´t mind a KFC however.

I didn´t get enough Peruvian food when I was in Peru, so Maybe I´ll check out Las Cholitas.

Dickhead
05-15-05, 14:03
Cuz other people wanted to go there. I always defer to other people's restaurant choices because I don't really care. That's why I've been to El Parrillón like seven times even though I think it sucks. The first guy I went with was not impressed. That was the chicken tacos and they were just okay. The second guy I went there with liked it (that was the least bad meal of the three, when we ordered it extra extra extra hot) so I reluctantly went there with him again. That was the cold, fatty carnitas. No más. They don't even have any Méxican beer there.

And if I went there three times, wouldn't that mean I went back there twice?

Bacchus9
06-12-05, 23:29
I went once a month ago, had a Corona (Mexican brand) with tasty, spicy well cooked chalupas, refried beans and some other stuff I don't remember. Probably a 7 on the Tacometer. The staff was obviously anxious to make a good impression and friendly, brought free shots of tequila around to start and I think to finish instead of the usual Jerez that Porteno joints offer. Noise level a little annoying and definitely a young Argentine crowd checking out something different for dinner. The packed restaurant/noise thing has kept me from going back but they definitely get into the zone of good, authentic Mexican food, imho.

Dickhead
06-12-05, 23:35
Yeah, they have Corona (only) but were out of it two of three times and anyway I hate that beer. Mëxican Coors. And, of course, if I had ever gotten any free tequila they would have risen incrementally in my estimation. Agree the staff is friendly but not too competent in my estimation.