PDA

View Full Version : Package Delivery Services

Jackson
05-16-05, 21:44
Greetings everyone,

As we all know, the performance of government or quasi-governmental organizations is always suspect, and specifically the performance of the official mail system: Correo Argentina. I've never used them, but I suspect that there's a reason why people don't send checks in the mail, and why the major utility companies hire private mail services to deliver their bills.

In any event, I had a occasion recently to need to send a letter to a friend in Junin, so I was compelled to research the alternatives.

First, Federal Express and the other recognized international delivery services do not or cannot deliver within the country, so that option, as pricey as it might have been, is off the table.

Eventually, I discovered the website of what is described to me as largest private mail services in Argentina: Correo Andreani.

http://www.andreani.com.ar

The specific page for their mail services is

http://www.andreani.com.ar/institu/andreani2/correo/home1-1.htm

The website includes descriptions of their various packaging and shipping options, the delivery times to various locations, etc. I was also pleased to note that they are partners with UPS.

Most of their "offices" listed on their website are actually their agencies, which are typically incorporated within kiosks, locotorios, etc. However, they do have a main office downtown that is staffed with their own uniformed employees. The address is Suipacha 272, near the three way corner of Sarmiento & Pena.

I paid 12 pesos for next day delivery to Junin.

Thanks,

Jackson

VaqueroNY
01-20-06, 12:54
Hello,

I'm generally a lurker in this forum and have gained alot of valuable information as one. I will be returning to Buenos Aires, this time for 8 months and had some concerns about receiving mail / packages during my stay. I do not have access to a mail (courier) pouch nor would the senders be able to afford the UPS / FedEx option.

Should I just not have packages (small ones) sent to me?

MoonDog
01-20-06, 13:01
Hello,

I'm generally a lurker in this forum and have gained alot of valuable information as one. I will be returning to Buenos Aires, this time for 8 months and had some concerns about receiving mail / packages during my stay. I do not have access to a mail (courier) pouch nor would the senders be able to afford the UPS / FedEx option.

Should I just not have packages (small ones) sent to me?VaqueroNY,.

Even if they could afford Fedex, don't use them. Fedex opens and holds the packages at the airport (EZE) and then you have to go get them. Then they charge more fees on top of that for storage and whatever else they can dream up. Even with an interline discout of 75% , you will still pay almost three times what the package is worth just to ship it via Fedex to Argentina.

Moondog

Thomaso276
01-20-06, 20:30
You'll have trouble getting packages. Hire someone you trust to check your mail, give them your printer scanner from home and they can scan and send you important stuff via email! Of course they will have access to personal info so be careful.

Moore
01-20-06, 20:35
Are you sure Moondog?

I've had items FedExed many times from USA to my apartment here and never had anything opened and it always came directly to my door. Never took more than 3 days USA-ARG.

Cost for a letter sized package is US$50 coming down and US$30 sending from here. Not the cheapest, but it is the only way I send things of any value whatsoever. If you send something regular mail from or to Argentina that even looks valuable (bank statement, etc) it will get stolen. As a newbie here I had an ATM card sent here regular mail once! I never made that mistake again.

Regarding Correo Argentino for mail within the country, I've used them several times to send registered mail - called "carta documentos". Cost is 20 pesos, you get a tracking number / receipt, and its always worked.

PS Vaquero, maybe you have a special situation, but many people dont need mail. You can do almost everything online free and instantaneously. The only time I need a FedEx is for a new bankcard or for a legal document that needs my signature. Very rare.

Greetings everyone,

I agree concur with Moore. I've used FedX both ways several times and I've never had a problem. The only caveat I've found is that if your sending anything besides documents that Argentina Customs may delay the delivery by several days. I usually get my monthly package containing my US Mail from my house in the states within three days, but one time I was expecting a print proof from my printer for approval, andI guess because it was in a tube instead of a letter-size box, customs held it for inspection, which delayed the delivery for several days.

I've also used Adrianni Correo (a large, private mail service here in Argentina) to send a couple of items to other cities within Argentina, and I used the same registered mail service level, both times without incident.

Regarding the concept of having your mail scanned, I believe Saint recently provided the name of a mail-drop service that specifically specalizes in that service.

Thanks,

Jackson

VaqueroNY
01-21-06, 04:52
I appreciate the responses.

It's my work knives. I would rather travel with them, but I'm sure TSA wouldn't approve of me carrying my roll into the cabin and I'm terrified of putting them in my luggage in case they get bent (hold sentimental value) or puncturing through the roll and jacking my stuff up.

At any rate I am done whining.

Thanks again for the heads up. I might have to end up using FedEx.

Andres
01-21-06, 11:33
I appreciate the responses.

It's my work knives. I would rather travel with them, but I'm sure TSA wouldn't approve of me carrying my roll into the cabin and I'm terrified of putting them in my luggage in case they get bent (hold sentimental value) or puncturing through the roll and jacking my stuff up.

At any rate I am done whining.

Thanks again for the heads up. I might have to end up using FedEx.In my case, I had the same experience as Moore had.

If you send the knives with an invoice by USPS, registered package, it will arrive at the international Mail ward in Retiro. There, you will be asked to pay Customs fees in order to release that package, fees that may be much cheaper than FedEx fees. It used to work for me.

Hope this helps,

Andres

El Perro
01-21-06, 16:56
I recently relocated to BA from Miami. No problems with personal mail as I am using USABOX in Miami (they scan and send to BA via DHL) Will cost you about $35 a month as long as you keep the shipments to less than 2 a month. My challenge is going to be finding the cheapest, most reliable way to get my work related packages delivered here from Miami. My plan is to do my consulting here in BA and get paid dollars from Miami. This will necessitate sizable packages of documents to be shipped to me from Miami about twice a month. My packages back will be miniscule. The issues:

1. Is the cost going to be prohibitive re: the packages being sent here? Somebody in one of the other postings scared the shit outta me with a story of huge price and having to get my stuff at EZE. Tell me it ain't so!

2. As I am only at my current residence here for 2 months before finding a better place, what company can I trust as a "drop" for my packages? I checked with Correo Argentino who will accept the packages, and only charge me 4p to pick them up. Way cheap, but how reliable? Plus, no emails or phone calls to let you know stuff is here. You gotta hoof it by there. Is Correo Andreani an option?

There's the problem in a nutshell. FYI-another option for me, and possibly others. HP makes a device called a digital sender. It's sort of a combination hard drive, scanner, "faxer", except it doesn't "fax", it sends scanned info to your email address. Example-like me, you need a bulk of documents sent to you from wherever, and the cost via traditional methods is too expensive. Solution-a digital sender (I think the model # is 9200C)-you "feed" the documents into the scanner part of the device, they are scanned and saved to the hard drive, and then can be emailed anywhere in the world. Presto! This was my original idea for my consulting work but it was shot down by the bosses's moron son who is computer non savvy. Well, I think he is about to find out that several pound packages sent from Miami to BA ain't gonna be cheap.

Any feedback and advise will be greatly appreciated! Save the Doggboy's BA experience!

Hi Doggboy,

This doesnt specifically answer all your questions, but I'd like to point out that there is a big difference in the way Argentina Customs handles documents and the way they handle merchandise. From my experience, documents are assumed to have no montary value and thus ARE NOT held by customs for inspection and possible tarriff levies. This, I assume, is why FedX, UPS and USPS packages containing documents are delivered relatively rapidly (with a day or two of entering the country) and directly to your door, whereas similar packages containng "merchandise" are held at the airport, at the customs house, etc. waiting for you to appear to pay any tarriff that may be assessed.

Thanks,

Jackson

Hunt99
01-21-06, 18:23
www.efax.com is a service which allows people to fax stuff to your US email address but which is delivered to you as an email attachment.

As Moore indicates, FedEx does deliveries in Buenos Aires, which should be fine for delivery of paper. You can have clients send stuff on your account number.

Vonage internet telephone service works for plenty of people in BsAs (US telephone number, but rings anyplace in the world that you have a broadband internet connection)

Some people on the board have suggested different PO Box services which scan your mail and email it to you, again as an attachment.

El Perro
01-21-06, 18:32
www.efax.com is a service which allows people to fax stuff to your US email address but which is delivered to you as an email attachment.

As Moore indicates, FedEx does deliveries in Buenos Aires, which should be fine for delivery of paper. You can have clients send stuff on your account number.

Vonage internet telephone service works for plenty of people in BsAs (US telephone number, but rings anyplace in the world that you have a broadband internet connection)

Some people on the board have suggested different PO Box services which scan your mail and email it to you, again as an attachment.Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out the efax prospects. I hear some folks are using Skype down here for phone service abroad as well. Nice to have that local area code back in the states while you answer down here.

MoonDog
01-22-06, 00:25
Are you sure Moondog?

I've had items FedExed many times from USA to my apartment here and never had anything opened and it always came directly to my door. Never took more than 3 days USA-ARG.Yes, positive. As the others point out, documents are no problem. But any package of any value sent via Fedex will be opened and held for additional taxes and storage fees. I recently sent a Christmas package to BA. It was almost a week before the person could get out to the airport to pick it up. Even though I told Fedex to add any charges to my credit card, they made the person pay storage charges and additional taxes. Add to that the cost of transportation to and from EZE, and it added up to about 220 dollars additonal.

Documents are ok, but be prepared to pay the charges of anything of value.

Moondog

Moore
01-22-06, 00:37
OK I have no experience with that since I've never shipped goods to/from Argentina, only documents (or bankcards that fit into document packs). Whenever I need something durable from the USA I just wait until I visit there and then bring it back with me. Computers, certain clothes, some books from Barnes & Noble.com, Christmas gifts, etc. It sounds like a costly hassle to ship durables here - personally I don't foresee the need to ever do it, especially after reading your informative posts.

If, for instance, I'm bringing back a lot of new clothes in my luggage, I'll usually at least take the price tags off to avoid potentially getting dorked for import taxes. I don't ever remember having an issue though.

El Perro
01-31-06, 13:50
In a previous post I mentioned my business plan that I hope leads to my making BA a permanent home. Part of my plan involves sending small packages back to the states. I recently used both DHL and Fedex. FYI-the cost with Fedex was nearly half that of DHL. Interesting however that DHL allowed me to use a credit card for payment, where Fedex would not, unless I had a CUIT.

Hi Doggboy,

I'm surprised to read your report, because I send packages and letters back to the USA every month, and in my experience DHL and FedX are approximately the same, approximately $100 AR to send an letter pac to the USA. This was for 2nd day service as next day delivery is not available.

I've also used my credit cards at both locations, and specifically the FedX office on 25 de Mayo, near Correntes.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
01-31-06, 15:32
I had the same experience that Jackson had with FedEx. Even the same location. Credit cards no problem. Cash no problem. 2 day delivery the quickest (cheapest/only?) option available at 100 pesos, as posted previously. Also you can use your Fedex acct number that they'll give you for free. The acct number is very useful when someone in USA has to send you something at your expense.

They never asked me for my CUIL, which would make zero sense anyway. Are you sure you're thinking about shipping, bro?

El Perro
01-31-06, 19:38
At the moment that is my only option due to some folks I work with in the states being hardheaded. I do alot of dictation, and my packages back to the states are microcassettes (weighing next to nothing) $40US a pop though I can write em off at years end. The sane solution is digital dictation / transcription. Everything digital, transferred back to the states via the web. Philips is the state of the art. Too sane for my clients who are used to the ol way, and are now barking that I want to change things after relocating to BA. They are fuckin' envious that I am here, and not in the mood to make changes. I'll trek on down to the Fedex office and see what the deal is with this no credit card / CUIL business. Any news in this area would be greatly appreciated. This area of my plan will make me, or break me. God knows, I ain't interested in returning to the states if I can help it! Thanks again!

El Perro
01-31-06, 19:41
I'll look into this right away. Thanks for the info!

John

Seaman
09-03-07, 17:13
I recently bought some stuff at Ebay, which was coming from the states.

Before I got the stuff sent over I inquired about the customs regulations here with a local friend. He advised me to get it sent down here if possible in an envelope, since envelopes would not be checked by customs.

For one item I was able to get it sent down here in an USPS envelope, and indeed it showed up at my door without any invoice of customs attached to it. The declared value of the contents was US$200, so it was way over the duty free limit of US$25 (!!!) / month.

The other item had to be shipped in a box (by USPS / EMS) Correo Argentino showed up with the box and a customs invoice. The package had a declared value of US$150 and shipping value of US$57, and the total customs fee was $328. Since I did not have the cash on me at the time I asked the driver if it would be possible to pick it up at the office near Retiro station. That was not a problem and he gave me a notice showing the package details etc. I called the phone number on that notice the day after, and got advised that I had to wait for another notice which would come in by mail later the week, which I needed to pick up the package.

Well it took a week to get the needed second notice. I went to the correo argentino office and waited for >2hrs to be served. Once I handed in my notice they processed it, and I got told to wait in the room next door for my number to be called.

I had to wait another 30 mins in that room before my number got called. I went in the back to the customs guy who was going to open the box and inspect etc.

Once the guy figured out I was a foreigner without a residency down here he told me that I would not have to pay duty on the package, since the law does not require it. He just singed off the paperwork where he put my passport number on, and that was it.

All in all it saved me $328, and cost me half a day at the post office and another week of waiting for my package.

So if you have the time, just make sure that the package is sent back to the correo argentino office, and then tell them you are not a resident, but a temporary visitor. Most likely they will wave the duty on the package.

In any case, if possible, have it sent in an envelope instead of a package, and it will save you the duty too!

Mpexy
11-07-07, 20:23
I had a package shipped to me via FedEx, a box not just a envelope, containing electronics I needed from the states. Other than a 1 day delay where my FedEx tracking showed it was delayed at customs, it got passed through and delivered to my door.

No customs payment or tax. Maybe because it was a computer part, not the whole laptop it didnt need to be paid as a import duty. Who knows.

Also, guess no one needs to sign for anything directly here, my doorman received it - my buzzer was never rang by the FedEx guy, it just went directly from the FedEx guy to my portero who later knocked on my door to personally hand me the package.

I see that Amazon.com delivers to international locations for only a little bit more in shipping fees so I think I'll try ordering a bunch of books for delivery to my place in Argentina.

Rainot
11-09-07, 20:45
I had a package shipped to me via FedEx, a box not just a envelope, containing electronics I needed from the states. Other than a 1 day delay where my FedEx tracking showed it was delayed at customs, it got passed through and delivered to my door.

No customs payment or tax. Maybe because it was a computer part, not the whole laptop it didnt need to be paid as a import duty. Who knows.

Also, guess no one needs to sign for anything directly here, my doorman received it - my buzzer was never rang by the FedEx guy, it just went directly from the FedEx guy to my portero who later knocked on my door to personally hand me the package.

I see that Amazon. Com delivers to international locations for only a little bit more in shipping fees so I think I'll try ordering a bunch of books for delivery to my place in Argentina.You got really lucky. Almost all electronics get caught in customs and you have to pay taxes, especially those which look expensive hehehe. Maybe 'cause it was the first time you ordered something this year. You're allowed to bring stuff up to 25 USD per year. If you exceed those 25, they charge 50% of what you exceeded. Only for goods that pay taxes, of course (which doesn't apply to your books) E. G.: device that costs 100 USD, 100 - 25 = 75; 50 % of 75 = 37.5 USD ($120) That's what they would charge you. So if you bring anything else (that pays taxes) into the country that same year, remember you already used your 25 bucks.

Here's Amazon's price list for items delivered to Argentina (they don't send electronics outside the US):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-8136632-3011349?ie=UTF8&nodeId=596202

;)

AllIWantIsLove
12-22-07, 03:04
Does anyone have recent experience with USABox? I am thinking about using them but I sent them some questions about three weeks ago and they still have not responded. If they handle mail the same way they handle questions I do not want to do business with them.

Thanks,

Bob

El Perro
12-22-07, 03:20
Does anyone have recent experience with USABox? I am thinking about using them but I sent them some questions about three weeks ago and they still have not responded. If they handle mail the same way they handle questions I do not want to do business with them.

Thanks, BobHey Bob-I've been using them for two years between BA, Spain and now Mexico-no problems. I can't say what the deal is with the no response though. Their phone number is 305-406-1696. Suerte.

Jackson
12-22-07, 16:23
Hi Bob,

I've been using USABox for about two years. From my perspective, their service has been flawless.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Queso
12-22-07, 22:02
I use USABox as well, for almost a year now. I've never had any problems outside of Argentina customs (which doesn't matter what you use, if you have something you have to declare or something that they discover that you didn't declare you will always have problems of money) They are extremely prompt - I almost always receive my mail the following day if I request it early enough, never later than the day after - again, unless it gets held up in Customs, and then it's DHL, not USABox that is dealing with it.

I've sent them email requests a couple of times and always had fairly quick responses as well. Like Doggboy, not sure why they didn't answer you.

El Perro
12-22-07, 22:28
I've never had any problems outside of Argentina customs (which doesn't matter what you use, if you have something you have to declare or something that they discover that you didn't declare you will always have problems of money) They are extremely prompt - I almost always receive my mail the following day if I request it early enough, never later than the day after - again, unless it gets held up in Customs, and then it's DHL, not USABox that is dealing with it.Ditto to all above. Very fast, and yes, I go to great pains to make sure I don't have anything sent to me that customs will impound. I had one experience with that, and once burnt twice shy.

ComeOnDown
01-09-08, 09:34
Not really sure if this belongs here. Anyway here it goes. I requested a friend to send me some stuff from Austria. He sent it through regular mail. When the box arrived, it appeared lighter than its supposed to be. My worst fear was confirmed, the package was opened with some items stolen. My friend was partly to blame because the box was not sealed properly. A word of advice, packages whenever possible, should be taped on all sides and corners. It may not stop them from stealing what is inside but it will certainly be a deterrent and may make them think twice before opening it as will be too obvious if they do so.

El Queso
01-10-08, 00:41
Well, I think the first word of advice is NEVER send anything through regular mail. Except possibly a letter or something that you don't care much about. Use the courier services like DHL or FedEx, etc. They're bit expensive possibly, but very reliable.

I don't think a "properly" sealed box is going to stop anyone from opening it if they want to get in a get something out. If you can open it, so can they.

Aqualung
01-10-08, 02:39
I don't think a "properly" sealed box is going to stop anyone from opening it if they want to get in a get something out. If you can open it, so can they.They just take the whole package! It has happened to me! Just this last year I didn't get two packages I was sent!

Use DHL or one of the private companies NEVER Correos Argentianas

ComeOnDown
03-09-08, 00:23
Friends regularly send me packages through regular mail and all of them have been personally delivered to my doorstep by the mailman. However, in this one instance all I got was a notice that I have a package that needs to be picked up at the international mails department located in Retiro. It still is not clear to me what the criteria is for packages to be delivered door-to-door as opposed to getting them personally at the mail office.

At any rate, I went to the office in Retiro and not surprisingly there was a long queue. As in most Argentine government offices, the procedure is such that you have to deal with several people / counters before you get the finished product. In this case the first among many steps is to secure your number and then when called present your notice and pay storage charges if any to the receiving clerk. Sit again and wait for the number written in your notice to be called. This is a bit tricky because the sound system is muffled, so if possible sit as close as possible to the speaker. When called you present your notice to another clerk who then directs you to the dispatcher tasked to assess if your package has contents which are taxable. When I was asked for the contents of my package I simply said used clothes. I don't know if this did the trick since I did not have to pay any duties on my package.

The entire process took something like two hours. If you can, I suggest that you come first thing in the morning when the line is shorter. They open their doors at nine.

El Perro
03-09-08, 12:10
For Come On Down or anyone else-any success or history receiving packages purchased through Ebay? I used EBay twice recently in Mexico City without a problem, though the wait time was between two and three weeks. And on both occasions a notice was dropped at my address and I picked up the packages at a local post office.

El Perro
03-14-08, 15:51
I ordered my monthly shipment from USABOX yesterday afternoon and it showed up from Miami today via DHL around 2:30. Amazing. Great service.

El Perro
03-14-08, 16:34
Just curious. I think Fedex is $35.Sid, USABOX collects my personal mail and sends it to me once monthly. The monthly fee, living in Argentina is $25, which includes one free shipment per month. I don't know about specific charges with DHL. A great service which a number of BA expats utilize.

Jackson
03-14-08, 19:32
I ordered my monthly shipment from USABOX yesterday afternoon and it showed up from Miami today via DHL around 2:30. Amazing. Great service.Lately I've been getting next day delivery from them also.

That is, unless Argentina Customs decides that even though they have no idea what's in the package, that they want $60 ARS to clear it! This has been happening approximately every third delivery. I've learned to keep the shipments under a pound to reduce these incidences.

Thanks,

Jackson

Jackson
03-14-08, 19:34
Just curious. I think Fedex is $35.A one pound package deliever by DHL from Miami to Buenos Aires via 2 day service is $24 USD.

In many cases, it will arrive the next day.

El Queso
03-14-08, 19:44
Lately I've been getting next day delivery from them also.

Of course, that is, unless Argentina Customs decides that even though they have no idea what's in the package, that they want $60 ARS to clear it!

Thanks,

JacksonBTW - I've been in two different situations with DHL delivering something tome from the States. These two times, DHL held the shipment and told me that a $60 peso fee was required by customs to clear the packages. Both times I called to find what the hold was and the person I talked to just said "sorry, you have to pay the fee. Customs has just said it's due to clear the package" and that's basically all the information I could get.

Both times I asked to talk to a boss. I pushed the boss to explain what the deal was and he said the same thing the girl had said. However, after arguing a bit with him and telling him that I'm not going to pay for something unless I understand what I am paying for, he said "that's fine, we will waive the fee."

I found it interesting that DHL was willling to waive a Customs fee. I'm not sure if they are trying something crappy and make up a charge that doesn't exist, or if they actually paid the fee and then didn't charge me for it. However, both times I received my packages the next day with no extra fee, as promised by the boss.

This is not to be confused with true Customs issues, like the time I tried to have a $10 (US) power cord sent to me and Customs wanted to charge me $60 to clear it and I told them to go fuck themselves. It seems that ANYTHING electronic in nature will be held by Customs here and you have to go through some crappy tramites and actually go out to the airport Customs are to pick up the packe after you've paid customs duties, and so on.

Having said that, I've found DHL (both through USA Box and DHL themselves) to be much cheaper and efficient than FedEx from her to the States.

WorldTravel69
03-17-08, 10:20
I sent a package to my Spanish teacher in B. A. from my home last July. After two months she said that she still had not received it. Finally, she received a notice from Customs, saying that this was the second notice and that she would need to pay 70p for it. But it was too late to pick it up, because the time limit had expired or something like that. I don't understand it?

I received the package at my home in February. Long after I hand carried another one to B. A. in September.

Argentines are very strange.

Anyone want a Snow Globe of San Francisco?

Stan Da Man
04-01-08, 12:43
Questions for those living in BA:

I have a friend in BA in serious need of a new computer. I own a business that has many extra computers that are several generations newer than his. Would it make sense to try to ship something like this via USABox? Or, am I just asking for trouble with Argentina Customs? Assuming they opened the package and saw that it contained a computer, how would they assess the value and what fee would they charge to release it?

Thanks,

Stan

Jackson
04-01-08, 13:01

I have a friend in BA in serious need of a new computer. I own a business that has many extra computers that are several generations newer than his. Would it make sense to try to ship something like this via USABox? Or, am I just asking for trouble with Argentina Customs? Assuming they opened the package and saw that it contained a computer, how would they assess the value and what fee would they charge to release it?

Thanks,

StanHi Stan,

We consider that idea as a method of getting donated computers to the comedores. On the surface, it made sense: Lots of guys upgrade to new computers every few years, so let's get them to ship their 3-4-5 year old unit down here to give to the kids. Unfortunately, Argentina Customs killed the plan by insisting that we pay 100% import duties on what they determined was the value of the used computer, which usually amounted to several hundred pesos per unit.

Apparently it was more important to them to collect these tariffs (which they undoubtedly understand funds their salaries) that it was to let a few units go by for, literally, charity.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
04-01-08, 13:05

Thanks,

StanIt would be a miracle if that got through customs. Someone else can chime in regarding the surcharge you would pay, but I think you would be assessed a tax of 50% of the determined value. No telling about a release fee. I know a monger currently in BA who has some laptops for sale, if that would work. I have no idea about the asking price.

El Aleman
04-01-08, 13:30
Stan,

Send him to the "Computer Mall" (Galeria Jardin) on Florida with a lot of small computer shops that will put together exactly what he needs. Prices there are not so much higher than waht I would pay at home, and depending on his needs, there also is a lot of quite cheap stuff they would not even sell anymore in the U. S. Or Europe.

What I did a year ago is bring a mainboard, CPU and hard disk with preinstalled operating system and the software I need in my luggage, and bought the cheap stuff (case, power supply, DVD) in BA, and assembled the box myself. This is an option for a techie like me, certainly not for everybody.

Basically the only way to bring anything in to Argentina without a lot of hassle is in your luggage, legally up tp U$S 300,-. And I have never seen a foreigner been asked anything when bringing in stuff like laptops, cameras, cell phones, etc. The kind of stuff people usually carry on their travels.

El Alemán

Stan Da Man
04-01-08, 21:59
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think that solves it -- either buy locally or bring in luggage. My intent was to make a gift of something that really has little value here, so I guess I'll try the luggage route.

I've only been to BA three times and, generally, I dress like a business traveler when I'm going through Customs. On those three occasions at EZE, they have waived me through with all my luggage without even bothering to scan it or ask me any questions. Is that common, or is it completely random?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was also going to send down an iPhone. They're remarkably easy to hack these days -- even my most computer illiterate employee can manage it. I suspect that this is the sort of thing that would get flagged by Customs as well, even if sent via Fed Ex or DHL, correct?

El Perro
04-01-08, 22:19
I've only been to BA three times and, generally, I dress like a business traveler when I'm going through Customs. On those three occasions at EZE, they have waived me through with all my luggage without even bothering to scan it or ask me any questions. Is that common, or is it completely random?Random is my experience with a definite bias towards not giving a shit. Daddy Rulz posted a funny account not long ago of all the many things the screeners might be doing other than their assigned job. Funny and very true. On my last trip in to EZE, I arrived about 11:30pm and they put my luggage through the screener with nobody looking to see what the baggage might hold. Other times they have just waved me through. I read an account recently on a local expat blog where somebody brought in a well concealed, bubble wrapped tv. No problem.

Stan Da Man
04-02-08, 02:36
On my last trip in to EZE, I arrived about 11:30pm and they put my luggage through the screener with nobody looking to see what the baggage might hold. Sad but true. Slightly scarier: On the way back to the states this past Saturday, passing through the EZE metal detectors on the way into the terminal, the exact same thing happened. I believe EZE has privately contracted much of the airport security to Securitas, the behemoth Dutch "low cost" security provider. They are the bottom of the barrel. On the way into the terminal, that is exactly what they were doing: You place all your carry-on luggage on the conveyor; there are three "guards" there; but none of them are looking at the screen to determine whether a bomb is present. And, when you walk through the metal detector and it goes off, they just wave you to continue. Why bother with security at all?

Jackson
04-02-08, 15:56
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think that solves it -- either buy locally or bring in luggage. My intent was to make a gift of something that really has little value here, so I guess I'll try the luggage route.

I've only been to BA three times and, generally, I dress like a business traveler when I'm going through Customs. On those three occasions at EZE, they have waived me through with all my luggage without even bothering to scan it or ask me any questions. Is that common, or is it completely random?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was also going to send down an iPhone. They're remarkably easy to hack these days -- even my most computer illiterate employee can manage it. I suspect that this is the sort of thing that would get flagged by Customs as well, even if sent via Fed Ex or DHL, correct?Hi Stan,

Do you see what you did here? With your last question you changed the subject of this thread from its title "Package Delivery Services" to "Airport Customs Inspections".

In the future, please consider the subject of your post and the subject of the thread where you are considering post it. If it's not applicable, please use the Forum's search function to identify a more appropriate thread, or if not found, then start a new thread for a new subject.

Thanks,

Jackson

Stan Da Man
04-02-08, 17:14
Sorry. I didn't think I changed the subject, but I'll bear that in mind in the future.

Mejorahora
04-02-08, 18:53
Hello all,

Anyone have any experience of sending credit cards from the UK ro Argentina?

I have been told not to use the Royal Mail / Argentinian postal service as there is a good chance the cards will never arrive.

I have been told by DHL that they will not carry credit cards. I am not sure if Fedex will but anyway they are really expensive at £72!

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Thomaso276
04-03-08, 22:44
If the card is coming directly from your bank (like a renewal or new card) and they have a branch here have them send it to the branch c / o the manager. I did this several years ago with an HSBC card from USA to a branch in Recoleta.

Otherwise I would say FedEx. DHL sucks. Just wrap it in papers and send it off in the envelope.

Master J
05-12-09, 00:43
I have been sending packages / gift to my to dear one and family for the past 6 years using the post office with no problems at all. I am express mail.

This past week they asked that in addition to the regular small customs form that I fill out an additional customs detailed sheet that requested more information.

The result was that they called and said the name did not match what was written and she had to go to the capital to pick it up.

I thought it might be a scam to collect duty but I had listed only gifts. No commercial value so it was just another inconvenience placed on the public.

This was a new request by the post office who would not accept the package without it and said packages were being returned if not included.

Wtf

WorldTravel69
05-12-09, 04:13
It depends on the weight.

It has to be under 13 pounds or something like that.

I sent a package just a little over that three weeks ago, but wrote down on the custom form, what it was, pants and shirts. It got there in a week. I also have sent two DVDs and it got there one week later.

A year before I sent a Snow Globe of San Francisco to my Teacher and it got held up in Customs. They wanted 70p for her to pick it up, saying that she was late picking it up. Funny I got it back a year later, at no extra charge.
I bought her one with me on my next trip.

Does anyone need one to send to their favorite Chica?

I have been sending packages / gift to my to dear one and family for the past 6 years using the post office with no problems at all. I am express mail.

This past week they asked that in addition to the regular small customs form that I fill out an additional customs detailed sheet that requested more information.

The result was that they called and said the name did not match what was written and she had to go to the capital to pick it up.

I thought it might be a scam to collect duty but I had listed only gifts. No commercial value so it was just another inconvenience placed on the public.

This was a new request by the post office who would not accept the package without it and said packages were being returned if not included.

Wtf