PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards

Jackson
01-01-05, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Incaboy
04-16-05, 00:29
I suggest you call your credit card companies prior to your trip to let them know you are visiting Argentina and give them the dates. If you don't, they may stop your card from working for security reasons to prevent unauthorized transactions.

Even if you do this, if a store's machine has trouble reading your card and someone there needs to type your account number manually, that may be enough to raise an alarm. That happened to me once last year. I had to make a free collect call to my credit card company and they enabled my card after explaining why they disabled my card.

Incaboy
04-16-05, 00:55
Also be aware that you can get the 21% Value Added Tax back at the airport for purchases over $200. There is some paperwork that needs to be filled out at the place of purchase. Sometimes they forget, like today at Ona Saez where I bought several shirts, so be sure to stay on top of this. That 21% might represent a few blowjobs. :)

Silent Monger
04-22-05, 08:26
Dear Gentlemen,

please forgive me for asking any questions which may seem simplistic to some of you experienced travellers out there; however I am a less experienced traveller, especially where South America is concerned.

I was wondering if someone could please tell me if many restaurants, cafes and shops in BsAs accept credit cards such as VISA, MasterCard or Amex?

Also what is credit card security like there, has anyone experienced problems with fraudulent or unauthorised transactions after using their card in BsAs?

Do Argentinian merchants use electronic payment at point of sale, or are credit card transactions usually processed manually using a sales voucher?

Thank you,

SM

HappyGoLucky
04-22-05, 13:02
SMDear Gentlemen,

I was wondering if someone could please tell me if many restaurants, cafes and shops in BsAs accept credit cards such as VISA, MasterCard or Amex?

YES.

Also what is credit card security like there, has anyone experienced problems with fraudulent or unauthorised transactions after using their card in BsAs?

I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. IF YOU WANT A LITTLE EXTRA SECURITY, GET THE AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL FUNDS CARD. IT'S LIKE THE OLD TRAVELLERS CHECKS, EXCEPT IT'S A PREPAID CARD WHICH CAN BE RELOADED BY PHONE USING ANOTHER CREDIT CARD AND NO CASH ADVANCE FEE. PLUS IT HAS ALL THE ADVANTAGES OF THE OLD TRAVELLERS CHECKS, E.G. CARD AND FUNDS REPLACED IMMEDIATELY IF LOST OR STOLEN. I USE IT TO WITHDRAW CASH AND MAKE PURCHASES IN ARGENTINA. NO PROBLEMO.

Do Argentinian merchants use electronic payment at point of sale, or are credit card transactions usually processed manually using a sales voucher?

I HAVE SEEN BOTH.
-HGL

Incaboy
04-22-05, 14:04
Dear Gentlemen,

please forgive me for asking any questions which may seem simplistic to some of you experienced travellers out there; however I am a less experienced traveller, especially where South America is concerned.

Thank you,

SM

I've found it to be pretty much like back home in the U.S. I've spent several months of my life here since the late 90s using my credit cards (mostly VISA but also MasterCard) for nearly everything but mongering and small purchases like eating at the confiterias and I've never had a problem even far away from tourist areas. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some smaller businesses didn't accept credit cards just like in other countries. I'd always have enough cash on you to cover yourself just in case. I can't recall how it was done in the past but the past few weeks that I've been here on this trip the transactions have all been electronic.

Silent Monger
04-27-05, 14:05
HGL & Incaboy,

thanks for the informative replies!

SM

Jaimito Cartero
04-29-05, 04:15
Just remember that you will pay a 1-3% foreign exchange charge on transactions. Some businesses will offer a cash discount, if you ask for it as well.

I usually try to bring a moderate amount of cash to exchange, and then take money out of ATM's.

Some merchants have told me they pay 5-8% to the credit card companies, so they'd don't like them either. You can't put a tip on your card for this reason.

Incaboy
04-29-05, 04:21
Just remember that you will pay a 1-3% foreign exchange charge on transactions. Some businesses will offer a cash discount, if you ask for it as well.

I usually try to bring a moderate amount of cash to exchange, and then take money out of ATM's.

Some merchants have told me they pay 5-8% to the credit card companies, so they'd don't like them either. You can't put a tip on your card for this reason.Good point. I've negotiated on large purchases (i.e. a couple of high-end leather jackets in the same transaction) in the stores here on previous trips to pay in cash and have gotten a nice discount. A few times I was offered to pay in dollars instead of Monopoly Money (I know that's rude but it's my opinion), no receipt, no Tax Free, and given a substantial (25%+?) discount. This was at a major well-known boutique store on Sante Fé not some little family shop. Surely they didn't want a paper trial so the government wouldn't get a cut. There's so much corruption here, LOL! I guess I don't always pay for everything with the credit card, heh. I haven't tried this with anything small. I don't care if they dislike my credit card. If they don't like it they better be willing to pay me for the inconvenience of paying in cash.

I know I've looked into the foreign exchange charge on my credit cards and the associated exchange rates versus the spreads for exchanging dollars for cash and what I've gotten out of ATM machines and they were pretty close for me like several or less percentage points. This may be different depending on your financial institutions, where you're exchanging money, etc. Sometimes you'd need to carry an unmanagable number of bills with you to buy certain things and security is also an issue. I weigh these risks and trouble versus the possible monetary reward in each situation and pay accordingly.

Gandolf50
07-17-05, 01:21
Good point. I've negotiated on large purchases (I. E. A couple of high-end leather jackets in the same transaction) in the stores here on previous trips to pay in cash and have gotten a nice discount. A few times I was offered to pay in dollars instead of Monopoly Money (I know that's rude but it's my opinion) no receipt, no Tax Free, and given a substantial (25%+? Discount. This was at a major well-known boutique store on Sante Fé not some little family shop. Surely they didn't want a paper trial so the government wouldn't get a cut. There's so much corruption here, LOL! I guess I don't always pay for everything with the credit card, heh. I haven't tried this with anything small. I don't care if they dislike my credit card. If they don't like it they better be willing to pay me for the inconvenience of paying in cash.

I know I've looked into the foreign exchange charge on my credit cards and the associated exchange rates versus the spreads for exchanging dollars for cash and what I've gotten out of ATM machines and they were pretty close for me like several or less percentage points. This may be different depending on your financial institutions, where you're exchanging money, etc. Sometimes you'd need to carry an unmanagable number of bills with you to buy certain things and security is also an issue. I weigh these risks and trouble versus the possible monetary reward in each situation and pay accordingly.With the sales tax or IVA at 21% a 25% discount hardly touched their profit. You just were able to skip the tax. Just as a a by the by, If you save your receipts you can get a refund on most of the taxes you paid while in the country at the airport when you leave the country if you have a non Argentine passport. So if you can, ask for a discount and a receipt!

ComeOnDown
07-18-05, 11:06
Worked for me as well. Business owners generally prefer debit cards or cash. Some stores even post two sets of prices in their goods: one for efectivo (cash) and credito (credit card) Of course the price for cash is usually lower by 10 to 20 percent as against the card price. In fact in most pharmacies, paying cash will automatically give you a 20 percent discount.

There is no harm in asking them before paying. The discount may not be much when only buying small items - but believe if you buy several items they do add up and will get you enough for one more visit to your chica.

Usmc57
12-19-05, 16:05
I assume that Visa and Mastercard are both accepted in BA, but I was curious if American Express or Discover are also accepted?

Guiller
12-19-05, 17:34
I assume that Visa and Mastercard are both accepted in BA, but I was curious if American Express or Discover are also accepted?Hi Usmc57:

Visa and MC are accepted everywhere. AE or Dinner's are viewed here as more exclusive cards (actually, the stores have to pay AE a higher comission than they do to Visa or MC and therefore many merchants avoid it unless they have some special reason to accept it) and therefore are less common. However, they are accepted in expensive restaurants, and in general, in any store oriented towards tourism and not to local customers (e. G. Leather goods stores, etc) As for Discover, I guess its acceptance level is even smaller.

All the best

Member #4110
03-19-06, 22:06
Just remember that you will pay a 1-3% foreign exchange charge on transactions. Some businesses will offer a cash discount, if you ask for it as well.I just got a Providian bank credit card bill, with 5 charges from my recent trip to Argentina. They gave me a better exchange rate than I could get at banks or cambio offices: 3.08 (the best I could do at a cambio was 3.05)

And they charged no foreign currency rate! It was great.

Recently they did not charge me a foreign currency rate on a trip to Canada. But they did charge me 1% on a Thanksgiving trip to Costa Rica. I called them up and talked to some guy in India. He did not have a clue as to what was going on. Oddly, in one of Providian's printed rules there is a statement that there is a 1% charge, and in another there is a statement that there is a 3% charge. At any rate, unless they ask for a fee in a future statement, I am going to use the Providian card for all foreign travel. Great rate, no foreign currency charge (at least not yet)

Kolos
04-20-06, 23:28
It is not Providian, it is just VISA or MC rule, they charge it no matter what. AMEX charges 3% or so right now. MC a little more expensive than VISA.

Myself I prefer not tu use AMEX, 5% punishment to merchant is not fair IMO (+3% they charge you for exchange), unless you don't like the merchant ;-)

Especially in Argentina, where reality is a little different than in the USA (products are not overpriced 150-200%) I prefer to use cash whenever I can.:-)

Flow Index
08-12-07, 22:20
Capital One doesn't charge a foreign exchange rate. Matter of fact if I understand it correctly they actually pay the 1% Visa charges so that there are NO extra fees for purchase or cash advance. Of course if you do a cash advance they charge you interest from day one and it might be at a higher interest rate then for purchases.

I confirmed this on my recent trip outside of the US.

Diego Saenz
05-23-08, 10:59
For newbies like me who don't know it yet an identification card is required everytime you use your credit card at any business establishment in Buenos Aires. Initially I was taken by surprise when they asked me for an ID when I paid my purchases because they don't do this in sex prison. However, they explained it to me that this is merely for my protection as they need to be certain that I am the real card holder.

Moore
05-25-08, 05:00
For newbies like me who don't know it yet an identification card is required everytime you use your credit card at any business establishment in Buenos Aires. Initially I was taken by surprise when they asked me for an ID when I paid my purchases because they don't do this in sex prison. However, they explained it to me that this is merely for my protection as they need to be certain that I am the real card holder.Though it may have happened, I don't remember ever being asked for ID in Argentina when using a credit card. And I used it a lot.

In sex prison, however, they often require ID when using a credit card at convenience stores.

Something that seems to have changed in BsAs is the verification of cash bills. In the old days (say 5 years ago) it was fairly common for waiters/taxistas/vendors to hold the bills up in the light before accepting. I didn't experience that during my last visit in April.

I miss that Patacon-Lecop era.

Thomaso276
05-25-08, 12:47
One of the big department stores (Fabella?) Asked me for my original passport about 2 years ago when I wanted to use my CC. I told them no one in their right mind carries the original and they would not accept my copy as ID.

Otherwise I have never been asked for other ID, but I do not use the card much down here. Maybe 3 -4 times a year.

Aqualung
05-25-08, 14:50
I use a card very much. (petrol for my car, supermarkets or even at clubs like Cattos where I know the owner) and I have never been asked for an ID. Maybe I look honest! LOL

Dickhead
05-25-08, 15:32
About the only place I ever use a credit card is Carrefour or Disco and they always ask me (and everyone else) for ID. I use my US driver's license and they have no problem with that. Coincidentally it has the same number of digits as a DNI.

Jackson
05-25-08, 16:50
I use my credit cards at Coto because on Fridays they offer a 10% discount for purchases charged on a credit card. This practice typically carves 10% off my weekly grocery run, and has for example saved me 500 pesos when I recently purchased a flat screen TV and 400 pesos on a new A / C for my rental apartment.

Given that all electronic items sell for EXACTLY the same MSRP no matter where you shop, this being due to some convoluted Argentine thinking that price competition will hurt retail store employees, this strategy appears to be an end run around this limitation by the retail chains. I've noticed that Musimundo has recently adopted the same practice.

I get asked for ID at Coto every time. They have never accepted my USA driver's license, always insisting on seeing my passport. My guess is that this is probably because the cashiers have no familiarity with the driver's license.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
05-25-08, 17:09
It sounds like the larger retail chains, which I rarely used, may require ID.

A benefit, albeit a small one, of having a DNI and permanent residence is that you can get a cedula which fits in your wallet just like a driver's license. It is accepted for anything; you can even travel to other Mercosur countries with just the cedula. It is valid ID for banks and signing legal documents. So you can leave your passport and DNI at home.

Aqualung
05-26-08, 01:32
I admit I never go to the bigger chain supermarkets except maybe Carrefour now and then where they have never asked me for ID.

I repeat - I must look honest not like some of you chaps!;)

El Greco
05-28-08, 09:50
I use my credit cards at Coto because on Fridays they offer a 10% discount for purchases charged on a credit card. This practice typically carves 10% off my weekly grocery run, and has for example saved me 500 pesos when I recently purchased a flat screen TV and 400 pesos on a new A / C for my rental apartment.

Given that all electronic items sell for EXACTLY the same MSRP no matter where you shop, this being due to some convoluted Argentine thinking that price competition will hurt retail store employees, this strategy appears to be an end run around this limitation by the retail chains. I've noticed that Musimundo has recently adopted the same practice.

I get asked for ID at Coto every time. They have never accepted my USA driver's license, always insisting on seeing my passport. My guess is that this is probably because the cashiers have no familiarity with the driver's license.

Thanks,

JacksonThey even refused a photocopy of my passport at Coto. They would only accept the real thing. I talked to the manager telling him that it is not safe for me to have my passport with me but he did't accept the zerox either.

In Disco they did.

El Greco

Jackjack1
01-18-09, 17:20
I got taken for over 2k in Mexico when I used a CC in a liquor store. Anyone had any bad experiences. Is cash better?

Thanks,

Jack

El Perro
01-18-09, 17:52
I got taken for over 2k in Mexico when I used a CC in a liquor store. Anyone had any bad experiences. Is cash better?

Thanks,

JackI've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.

Jackjack1
01-18-09, 18:32
I've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.Thanks for the response.

Jack

AllIWantIsLove
01-18-09, 19:13
Some bogus charges showed up on my credit card after a trip to Cancun several years ago. But the credit card company ate the bad charges. I've had no problems here, but then I haven't used credit cards here very often.

Bob

Thanks,

Jack

Easy Go
01-18-09, 19:19
I've been told that the bank fees on credit cards are high so I try to use cash to minimize the cost to the merchant when it is a small place. I've had cards cloned in both Uruguay and Brazil but not in Argentina.

Of course, cash has it's own risks. I've never lost a dollar on a cloned card as the bank covered it all but I lost $100 to a pickpocket once.

Miami Bob
01-18-09, 22:27
At Cotos I have been able to use a photo copy of my passport coupled with my Florida driver's licence. I tell them that the driver's licence is my eeuu identification card. It has the same number of digits as the DIN. Cottos always has acepted this combination. I last did this in November, 2008. I have never purchased more than 200 pesos worth of stuff on credit card at Cottos. For a 5,000. Pesos purchase they may have a more demanding policy.

Aqualung
01-18-09, 23:26
I have never had a problem with a credit card here and I have used them at some really seedy joints.

The only club I use one at is Catto's as I have been friends with Panco, the owner, for many years. But even if I wasn't, the fact that the owner himself is the one handling your card makes it a little safer than if some employee or other was doing so.

The places I worry a little about are gas stations where the employee turnover is high.

QuakHunter
01-19-09, 12:47
I've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.I have used a CC at least twenty times at Black and never had any problem when reconciling the statement, ever! One time the tab was over $1,800 for a client outing (Stupid yes; but the return was amazing) and it posted to the dime. You can argue the pricing structure at Black all you want, but Daniel needs the business traveler to act the fool like we do and probably wouldn't risk the bad press. That doesn't mean rogue employees feel the same way, so YMMV.

I did get taken for $2,800.00 at the infamous Gold Club in Atlanta; the difference there was the feds went after them like they were the Taliban.

That was an interesting call my wife got from the US District Attoney's office.

Facundo
01-19-09, 16:18

Thanks,

JacksonCoto is one of the worst offenders of the law governing credit card use (La ley de tarjetas de credito) The 8 page law does not specifically state one must show a specific national document of identification. It just states that the user must present an instrument that identifies the characteristics of the holder of the credit card:

(c) Aquel que está autorizado por el titular para realizar operaciones con Tarjeta de Crédito, a quien el emisor le entrega un instrumento de idénticas características que al titular.

When I first got to BA I was able to use my european license, but some establishments wanted to see my passport. When I got my argentine drivers license most establishments accepted it as a form of identificaction. When I got my DNI and renewed my license the DNI number appeared on my license and it is accepted at all establishments as a form of national identification except at Cotto's.

With a copy of the law I decided to take Cotto on and after they rejected my license as identification I asked to see the manager. I showed him a copy of the law and told him I was ready to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Society. Lo and behold, now Cotto accepts my license, but I see that it hasn't changed it's policy of discriminating. As a not so famous member of this boars would say; ****suckers.

Easy Go
01-19-09, 23:06
It's not about the place, it's all about the specific individual handling the credit card.

The business usually has too much too lose.

El Queso
01-19-09, 23:39
The only place I have troubles using my card with my TX driver's license is Easy. That is, in places where I would use a credit card here. I've used it at Jumbo, Disco, restaurants in and out of the city. Clerks usually take the license, ask me which number is the DNI (heh) and go on with it.

I did get in a bit of fight one time in Easy and got to use my TX license. I purchased over 1000 pesos worth of goods and Easy isn't like Jumbo - they won't break up the sale in two smaller ones (common invoices can't exceed 1000 pesos for some strange reason which I have yet to understand), so I had to register to get the other type of invoice (I don't know one from the other, so don't ask me what they're called). I didn't have my passport with me and argued that my card was a valid ID, proving who I was, and I guess they must ahve seen all that stuff I was buying and decided it was worth bending their policy.

Maybe I ought to argue more often with them, on the strength of Facundo's post. They have never again allowed me to use my license.

I wouldn't ever use my card in a caberet. I've heard stories from girls I know who've worked in a couple of different places. Stories of when it's slow, drunk foreigners getting thousands of dollars charged while they're half-passed out, general over-charging on every drink and outright fraud committed after the patron leaves his credit card info behind (having paid with it before he left)

Jackjack1
01-25-09, 18:24
I asked about this about 2 weeks ago and other people chimed in that it was pretty safe. I actually asked if cash was better lol?

Jack

Slipknot
03-04-09, 07:43
Does anybody have any information on what bank (s) I can get a cash advance on my US MasterCard at? Not an ATM withdraw, but a cash advance from the teller. In Chile and Panama is was available at many banks, with a US 1,000.00 limit per day. Here I have not been able to find a bank that will do any kind of cash advance.

Thank you,

SL

Gato Hunter
03-04-09, 10:44
Have you tried the Citi ATM talked about in the ATM thread?

Alvear and Callao

Seaman
03-04-09, 10:48
Have you tried the Citi ATM talked about in the ATM thread?

Alvear and Callao.Gato,

He specifically writes "not an ATM withdraw".

Does anybody have any information on what bank (s) I can get a cash advance on my US MasterCard at. Not an ATM withdraw, but a cash advance from the teller. In Chile and Panama is was available at many banks, with a US 1,000.00 limit per day. Here I have not been able to find a bank that will do any kind of cash advance.

Thank you,

SL

Gato Hunter
03-04-09, 11:10
Doh, sorry about that.

I know you can do that with an AMEX card in town but I don't know a place for a MC.

Hollander
03-05-09, 03:40
There's a small bank on the corner where Calle charcas meets Plaza Guemes. I can't remember the name, but I got a cash advance on my Mastercard there after being refused everywhere else. I've been back since, and there's been no problem.

Rock Harders
04-14-09, 04:57
Mongers,

I noticed the other day that you can get a cash advance up to the limit of your Visa or Mastercard at the Banco Supervielle. The particular branch I was at was located on Uruguay between Santa Fe and Arenales. The desk to get the cash advance is in the basement.

Suerte,.

Rock Harders

Slipknot
04-14-09, 20:51
Rock Harders, Hollander,

Thank you for this information.

SL

Slipknot
07-13-09, 11:08
Mongers,

I noticed the other day that you can get a cash advance up to the limit of your Visa or Mastercard at the Banco Supervielle. The particular branch I was at was located on Uruguay between Santa Fe and Arenales. The desk to get the cash advance is in the basement.

Suerte,

Rock HardersI went here last week and had no problems getting a cash advance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.