PDA

View Full Version : Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

Metkim
05-28-05, 22:09
Hi There,

My vonage adapter is fried and I can't find a store that has one, does anyone know of a place for me to get this along with a universal adapter for my other things that need to be charged. My transformer poped also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Metkim,

La Casa del Transformador
Parana 220

If they don't have the exact combination of converter voltage / amperage / plug that you need, they will make one for you on the spot.

Jackson

Bacchus9
07-06-05, 16:14
I just received a new Vonage "black box" myself, plugged it in to find that the transformer is not 120-240 V, it was only 120. Bad aromas coming out of new box. Something fried.

Took it to a little repair shop on Riobamba just off of Arenales. Riobamba 1181. Callao Service it's called.

For 40 pesos they're replacing a diode that burned.

Recommended, they've fixed things well in the past.

Thomaso276
08-25-05, 16:16
I know two guys here in BA with Vonage and they say it works fine. I did a webserach and saw some problems in reviews by users. As well, in the service agreement they state they can cancel if the system is used outside of USA.

Anyone here have any problems with service, connection, cancellation? Most of the negative reviews related to switching hard line phone numbers in USA to Vonage and problems with cancelling service.

I am thinking of getting one via a relative in the States and having it brought down soon. Thanks

Hi Thomaso276,

I've got two Vonage phones here in BA. Other than burning out the diode like Metkim did (I accidentially reversed the polarity of the transformer), it's been great. I don't know about being canceled if you use it outside the USA, but it's never been an issue for me or anybody else I know who is using the system.

Thanks,

Jackson

Metkim
08-25-05, 18:46
I was in BA for the past 2 days and Vonage worked better in BA than in NYC. Although I get more upload with Time Warner, there seems to be less packet loss which gave me better QoS. As far as the cancellation, I tell them that I am overseas, they never mentioned a thing about it being an issue. I think all that they care about is you have an address in the states that they can bill.

Saint
08-25-05, 21:32
Yep. Those posts are correct. I have used Vonage a while now. I have it in my house, my office and about 20 of my apartments. No issues other than the same issues as Jackson (once burned out the unit due to someone accidentally plugging it in to the 220 v current here) It works fine. Sometimes there is static when it rains here. Also, if you are downloading heavy files. The 1 MB from Fibertel works fine with it. The 2 MB is amazing and never any problems. IPlan also has a good 2 MB that Vonage works excellent with.

Vonage does have the right to cancel if you are outside of the USA but as the previous poster correctly posted. They just want a USA address to bill things to.

Also, make sure if you haven't done so lately you log in and acknowledge the 911 activation as they will cancel your account by Monday, August 29 due to the FCC forcing them to.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050825/ap_on_hi_te/internet_phones_e911_8

Good luck all.

Saint

Thomaso276
08-26-05, 02:25
Thanks all for the information. Called my brother today in USA to have him order one for me.

Jaimito Cartero
08-26-05, 07:43
Thanks all for the information. Called my brother today in USA to have him order one for me.One thing to remember is that they offer big referral bonuses to sign up. If you check on eBay, you can get the unit for free, plus the person who signs you up will kick back $10-$20 I think.

There is also a cancellation fee if you keep it over a certain amount of days (15 or 30, I think) Make sure it's going to work well for you.

Regulr Travlr
08-26-05, 19:52
The following is from the Vonage site.

"Take It On the Road.

Your Free Phone Adapter makes a great travel companion. You can use it anywhere in the world where you have a high-speed Internet connection. Bring it anywhere overseas and you won't pay international dialing rates when you call back home. The same is true when you travel to other area codes in the US for both business and residential Vonage accounts.

For example, let's say that you live in Chicago and bring your Free Phone Adapter on a trip to Hong Kong. With Vonage you can call your next-door neighbor from Hong Kong and it's priced like a local domestic call. This is also true when your neighbor calls you. So it's very convenient for people dialing you, and it's extra easy on your wallet too."

Hope this helps.

Traveler

AllIWantIsLove
08-27-05, 12:56
I sent them a note on this subject and here is the response I got.

"Our service and the phone adapter will MOST LIKELY work in other countries. The phone adapter that we provide (Linksys RTP300) OPERATES ON 110-120 VOLTS ONLY. We advise you to check the local VoIP laws of the country that you are using it in as some countries regulate the use of VoIP. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the quality of service due to the long latency between your local ISP provider and our service in the United States." I capitalized some of the text for emphasis.

Incidentally, I looked on the Linksys web site but could not find the RTP300.

The following is from the Vonage site.

"Take It On the Road.

Your Free Phone Adapter makes a great travel companion. You can use it anywhere in the world where you have a high-speed Internet connection. Bring it anywhere overseas and you won't pay international dialing rates when you call back home. The same is true when you travel to other area codes in the US for both business and residential Vonage accounts.

For example, let's say that you live in Chicago and bring your Free Phone Adapter on a trip to Hong Kong. With Vonage you can call your next-door neighbor from Hong Kong and it's priced like a local domestic call. This is also true when your neighbor calls you. So it's very convenient for people dialing you, and it's extra easy on your wallet too."

Hope this helps.

Traveler

Daddy Rulz
08-27-05, 14:57
My buddy spent 2 months in EZE and bought a vonnage adaptor that worked in his laptop. No power problems and good communications. Sometimes it would sound a little off but no problem. I'm pretty sure my adaptor that I use in the states takes both 110/60 and 220/50. I don't feel like crawling under the table and looking though. Maybe if there was some pussy under there I would but alas this is not the case.

Punter 127
09-06-05, 12:46
I currently have Vonage like many of you, however I recently discovered Lingo. Has anyone tried Lingo VoIP phone service? Here are some of the differences I see in favor of Lingo. The price of unlimited service for Vonage is you$S 24.95, Lingo is $US 19.95. Another advantage to Lingo is you can get a second number for $US 5.00 which can be an argentine number, or several other countries. (Both numbers ring the same phone) Vonage does not offer argentine numbers. This means I could get the same unlimited service I have with Vonage plus a local argentine number for the same money from lingo. Com. So calls placed in Argentina to the second number are local calls, and can be answered any place in the world, that you hook up to high speed internet. By the way Lingo is already offering free Western Europe calling in their package, Vonage does not. I'm thinking of changing service, so I would appreciate any input.

Since Lingo is offering Argentine phone numbers, VoIP laws must not be a problem.

Punter 127

Barazinco
09-30-05, 17:46
Well guys this is my first message I discovered your forum by chance as I was trying to find some info about Cordoba, buy the way any contact for serious real estate agent?

About Lingo: I did try it in USA and I cancelled after a few months, first it's very complicated to set up, I had to be on the phone with them for hours, and then I constantly had lost connection etcc. Etcc. Well I don't know if it is a one bad experience only but I couldn't recomenend it.

Hello to all of you.

Thomaso276
10-01-05, 09:51
I have had Vonage for several weeks now. Quite simply, it has been great for my needs.

AllIWantIsLove
10-09-05, 15:28
Does VOIP work better with a Cable modem? Is cable internet even available in BA, or just DSL?

Are you guys using Vonage buying the pieces there, or did you bring the components from the US? I'm concerned, e. G. That a Vonage Phone Adapter purchased here in the US might not interface properly with a phone purchased in BA.

I know that a Vonage Phone Adapter purchased here in the US won't come with a voltage adapter for BA current, but I also know that I can find a voltage adapter here that will.

Thanks,

Bob

Thomaso276
10-09-05, 21:50
Use Fibertel CableModem here in BA, 1Meg, no DSL available that I am aware of, buy the system in USA, have a friend bring it down, use a voltage power converter (buy it here they are alot cheaper) otherwise simply plug in phone line and cable modem. No software, CD's, etc needed.

Metkim
10-11-05, 22:36
I am an idiot, I fired another vonage phone adapter, I brought another one for back up, but the quality is not there. Does anyone know of a place where I can get my device repaired.

AllIWantIsLove
10-12-05, 01:15
Thank you Thomaso. But I am not sure what you mean by "the system". Do you mean just the phone adapter or the phone adapter AND the phone? I anticipate bringing a lot of crap, so I don't want to bring anything I can buy there.

Thanks, Bob.

Use Fibertel CableModem here in BA, 1Meg, no DSL available that I am aware of, buy the system in USA, have a friend bring it down, use a voltage power converter (buy it here they are alot cheaper) otherwise simply plug in phone line and cable modem. No software, CD's, etc needed.

Bacchus9
10-15-05, 17:44
On Riobamba between Arenales and Santa Fe, but just a few doors down from Arenales on the left is a small shop with phones and what not in the windows. If you see Sentirte's sandwich board sign, a little breakfast place, you're next door.

Operated by a nice young girl and her mother, their technician has managed to fix every fried or disfunctional electrical problem I've brought in, including a new Vonage modem that I brought down and fried on the first plug-in. It might take them a day or two to get the diode or plug but they do it and modest cost. Speak spanish only but rarely an obstacle, they know their business.

Bacchus9
10-15-05, 17:53
All you need to bring with you is the Vonage modem and adapt it to work on 220v which can be done here - see note on electrical shop on Riobamba. There are many phones available here and they're like any phone - just plug your phone line from the Vonage modem into the phone, start dialing.

Savoy
11-18-05, 14:17
I just found that out and thought some other people may benefit from that if the case is having a local US, Uk, german numbers while travelling. Skype has a relatively new service called SkypeIn and without any need for any device but just a pc and a headset, you can receive calls on your local US, UK, German (some more) numbers. It is $35 for a year and $12 for 3 months, it comes with a free voice mail and also you can forward incoming calls to any numbers.

Thanks

Punter 127
11-18-05, 19:43
I'm in BsAs now and using my Vonage for the 1st time, its working great. I bought the Linksys model PAP2 modem at Best Buy, it was free after the rebate, and it also has a dual voltage input so you don't need a transformer, only a plug adapter.

I don't think Skype is VOIP? with Vonage you use a normal telephone not head phones, and it does not tie up your computer, you can be on the computer and the phone at the same time. Skype is much cheaper, but the service is not the same quality, I have had calls from the USA on Vonage and the callers could not tell I was not at home.

Easy Go
11-18-05, 20:14
I'm in BsAs now and using my Vonage for the 1st time, its working great. I bought the Linksys model PAP2 modem at Best Buy, it was free after the rebate, and it also has a dual voltage input so you don't need a transformer, only a plug adapter.

I don't think Skype is VOIP? With Vonage you use a normal telephone not head phones, and it does not tie up your computer, you can be on the computer and the phone at the same time. Skype is much cheaper, but the service is not the same quality, I have had calls from the USA on Vonage and the callers could not tell I was not at home.VOIP is just a generic term for Voice over IP so it applies to Skype as well as Vonage. There are ways to make handsets work with Skype and it doesn't interfer with using your computer for anything else. The quality with Skype can vary pretty wildly. But it is really, really cheap. 2 cents per minute to most phones, no monthly fee (for outgoing calls) and Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype is better for people that are moving around as it is much easier to get your computer connected to a broadband connection than hooking up a Vonage router (routers are pretty much useless with connections that require any authentication like in hotels)

You don't need to choose. Use both!

Punter 127
11-18-05, 20:35
VOIP is just a generic term for Voice over IP so it applies to Skype as well as Vonage. There are ways to make handsets work with Skype and it doesn't interfer with using your computer for anything else. The quality with Skype can vary pretty wildly. But it is really, really cheap. 2 cents per minute to most phones, no monthly fee (for outgoing calls) and Skype to Skype calls are free. Skype is better for people that are moving around as it is much easier to get your computer connected to a broadband connection than hooking up a Vonage router (routers are pretty much useless with connections that require any authentication like in hotels)

You don't need to choose. Use both!I agree use both, and for the hotel Skype is a better choice, as most hotels are now wireless, and Vonage requires wired service. They do offer a wireless deal for $10 more a month, which is too much and still requires head phone and mic, which I hate. I would like to know more about how to make a handset work with Skype.

Easy Go
11-18-05, 21:02
I agree use both, and for the hotel Skype is a better choice, as most hotels are now wireless, and Vonage requires wired service. They do offer a wireless deal for $10 more a month, which is too much and still requires head phone and mic, which I hate. I would like to know more about how to make a handset work with Skype.http://www.skype.com/store/accessories/

http://www.actiontec.com/products/communications/ipw_usb/index.php

They struck me as more trouble than they are worth but that's because a headset doesn't bother me and I use a traditional phone line at home.

There is nothing about Vonage that makes it incompatible with wireless networks. It all depends on the situation. For example, at home I have a wireless network but plugged my VOIP adaptor into the router in my computer room and used a wireless phone with it. But I could have plugged the VOIP adaptor into a wireless "game" adaptor and used it with a wired phone in any room in my house.

The issue with wireless on the road is that it might need a browser-based login to work. But you can have the same problem with a wired connection.

Savoy
11-18-05, 21:04
Punter127

Here is the link, http://www.skype.com/store/accessories/, you can find handsets there, sound quality is shockingly perfect, but it all depends on your connection speed (so does vonage) another thing is that you can forwrd any incoming calls to any number you want, for example; you are heading down to Patagonia or up to Brazil or going downunder for a short visit, you don't even need to have a computer with you, and you still can receive calls just by forwarding to a number wherever you are (cell or a landline) and you will be charged at very competitive rates which you can find on their website.

Daddy Rulz
11-19-05, 05:51
I'm coming down in January and will have an adaptor I won't be using anymore. If anybodys interested pm me.

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 18:27
If I've done it correctly here's a link http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=352797#post352797 to my Vonage experience which I posted today in another thread.

Bob

Savoy
01-21-06, 20:57
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check out the efax prospects. I hear some folks are using Skype down here for phone service abroad as well. Nice to have that local area code back in the states while you answer down here.Skype is ab fab, second to none. There is nothing like having a local phone number where ever you are, as long as you have a computer with a broadband connection. I have been using it for almost a year and extremely satisfied. For example, I take my laptop with me to a cafe with WiFi and do my phone calls on Skype whilehaving breakfast, or when I am on a trip, I go to an internet cafe and just log onto skype and make my calls while checking my emails, never ever deal with those outrages hotel rates (phone) nor try to find a calling card and a payphone. Highly reccomend it. It is a must have.

Hope this helps.

PS: You don't actually need to sit by the computer to talk on Skype since there are compatible cordless phones or bluetooth earphones.

Easy Go
01-22-06, 11:47
Skype is ab fab, second to none. There is nothing like having a local phone number where ever you are, as long as you have a computer with a broadband connection. I have been using it for almost a year and extremely satisfied. For example, I take my laptop with me to a cafe with WiFi and do my phone calls on Skype whilehaving breakfast, or when I am on a trip, I go to an internet cafe and just log onto skype and make my calls while checking my emails, never ever deal with those outrages hotel rates (phone) nor try to find a calling card and a payphone. Highly reccomend it. It is a must have.

Hope this helps.

PS: You don't actually need to sit by the computer to talk on Skype since there are compatible cordless phones or bluetooth earphones.Another product similar to Skype is Gizmo Project. I use both as I like certain aspects of Gizmo Project better but find that Skype calls are clearer in Argentina. Both are "pre-pay" services so you don't have to use one exclusively. Gizmo is 1/2 the price calling the US but the difference is 1 cent / minute vs 2 cents / minute so it doesn't really matter.

There are Internet "political" reasons to prefer Gizmo but most people couldn't care less that Gizmo uses open protocols while Skype is proprietary.

There are things happening with the FCC that are likely to spell the end of Skype, Gizmo, Vonage, and all the other VoIP carriers in the US as alternatives to the regular phone companies anyway except for computer-to-computer calls. The FCC is moving towards requiring any service that connects to the regular phone network (incoming or outgoing) to comply with both E911 and wiretaps rules. Both requirements are likely to be impossible for most VoIP companies to meet. You might have seen the notice on the Skype home page that says "Skype is not a telephony replacement service and cannot be used for emergency dialing." but that's just buying a little bit of time. Skype is the only player with pockets deep enough to effectively lobby the issue in Washington but it's not clear the issue fits with eBay's strategic vision for Skype.

El Perro
01-31-06, 13:55
I got my Skype OUT up and running. Fantastic service!02 cents a minute for calls to the states. I set up my account for the OUT service before moving to BA. I am having some issues setting up Skype IN from BA, and may have to have someone help me with that who is living in the states. All in all a bargain, and for anyone making regular calls to the states, this, or something similar is a must.

Doggboy,

With all due respect, what does Skype have to do with the subject of this thread, which is titled "Package Delivery".

Thanks,

Jackson

Mpexy
01-31-06, 14:10
FYI on Skype. Top up your account with all the skype out credit you think you will need before you come to BA as once you get to any part of south america, you won't be able to do automatic credit card processing to get instant additional skype out credit.

Skype does an auto detect of what region of the world you are logging in from, so if you're down in BA and logging into your skype account, you won't be given the option to do a credit card charge to add $10 euros to your skype out balance - only a bank transfer which takes days and a online payment provider system which I'd rather not join.

Only option if you're down here already is to have someone back home log into your account, and using your cc / address process the charge for you.

Mpexy,

With all due respect, what does Skype have to do with the subject of this thread, which is titled "Package Delivery".

Thanks,

Jackson

[EDIT - answer: In hindsight, you're right. It's off topic. Apologies. However, also with respect, I suppose I was just answering the Skype pointer raised by Doggboy. And also with respect, if this is off topic, how much more so when someone like Roxanne who I'm sure is a fine person, posts basically an ad for her services on the recent My Place Realestate thread which if we're all to be on topic is specific to informing people of their experiences with that company. I didn't mind when I saw her post, didn't post a reminder to be on topic to Roxanne as for one, I don't know her, but everything I've heard is good, and two - she provides a service which is valuable. But as politely as can be said, if we're off topic here when at least some argument could be made that use of VOIP or Skype might be able to have important info relayed via voice rather than sending down a contract or other paper copy via FedEx, how much more so for mild replies such as Roxannes taking over a competitors apartment services review thread all the way to the flame replies whose only content and purpose is to verbally abuse someone? I don't have a problem with cracking down on off-topic replies, but while you're doing so, I'd voice the opinion that while you're at it, be consistent and at least rid the board of the truly off-topic posts]

El Perro
01-31-06, 14:16
Thanks. I wonder if we are gonna have to put up with that inconvenience indefinitely. You would think since Ebay bought Skype they would be looking into making things a bit more user friendly. Thinking out loud.

El Perro
06-25-07, 20:19
Does anyone living or visiting AR use these computer based, long distance telephone services? Any problems?Sid,

I have been using Skype since I moved to BA. Cheap and no problems. There is a slight "delay" at times. 2 cents a minute. The techheads can tell you more about it, but it's been fine for me.

Jackson
06-25-07, 20:35
Hi Sid,

Did you do a search of the forum's databasse before you posted this question?

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2171

Thanks,

Jackson

TangoManiac
06-26-07, 02:34
You can also use skype in locutorios. Buenos Aires is blessed with very fast internet. Lots of them already have it installed on the machines or you can install it yourself. They usually have nice headphones as well.

I just would be careful typing your credit card onto the website while using a public terminal. YOu never know what kind of trojan horses are on those machines.

Skype is awesome no matter where you are travelling as long as you can find a place with broadband internet. At 2 cents a minute it beats those damn calling cards

Big Nose
06-26-07, 22:26
I used Yahoo Messenger (with call out option) last May in Buenos Aires and it was great for calling back to the states, cellular or land lines.

It was also good for calling Argentina phones, but land lines only. I could not figure out how to dial Argentina Cel phones.

I chose it over Skype since I already had a Yahoo account.

Anyone figure out how to call Argentine cel phones on Skype?

Hawaii
06-27-07, 14:36
Try this sequence when calling BA cell phones on skype:

+54915xxxxxxx

MiddleAgeGuy
06-27-07, 16:00
Actually it is like this:

Assume Cell # is.

15-4444-6666

From Skype you do:

+54-9-11-4444-6666

The 9 replaces the 15, the 54 is country code, the 11 is city code.

It will cost you a lot more though to call a cell in Argentina via Skype, something like 0.17 Euros / min vs 0.017 Euros / min on a fixed line, still good.

Mpexy
08-19-07, 13:51
The skype service never went down, but ability to login with their client did. Which could equate to the same thing for some, but I use skype-in as much as skype-out, so during the Thurs / Fri that it was really bad, and part of Saturday afternoon until it was fixed - the net result was:

-launching the skype client to try and login / connect would sit on "connecting" - sometimes for 30min to hours. Once you connected any call you made out or got in stayed connected until you dropped the line, at which point it was hit / miss with "connecting" to try login again.

-during the entire time, skype-in would still work to receive calls to either your voicemail, or if you had one or more landline / mobile numbers configured as forwards if you didnt pickup your skype line. So I just had all my calls routed to my cell or landline - someone would ring my USA number, and it would forward at just over 2cents a minute to my argentina number (and if that didnt answer, then my argentina cell - which ended up being a lot more than 2c a min but still pretty reasonable compared to traditional international forwards via regular telecom rates)

-not having reliable skype out was annoying because of the sometimes hours wait to connect / login, but anyone who wasnt prepared with a backup probably learned through this it's a good idea to have one. I use skype mainly but always keep two backups with a small amount of credit with net2phone and callserve - same skype model, higher rates but like skype you just buy the credit once and have a pretty long time to use it before it expires.

What really got me was reading some forums where some skype users were moaning and groaning about how their world had ended and because they had no skype, they were completely incommunicado as they had no other phone service.

Why they didnt just spend $5 to 25 with any of the numerous other VOIP skype-alternative providers I don't know. Two minutes to sign up with a new one, even if a temporary one until skype came back up and then just keep it as an insurance backup.

Monger514
08-19-07, 16:24
I used MSN Messenger to conduct a voice conversation with someone I normally use Skype with, and that worked pretty well.

TangoManiac
09-17-07, 03:48
So I'd like to know a bit more of the technical information related to the feasibility of bringing these in. I see a lot of apartments (such as jackson) that have these.

If I have a vonage box, will it work if I plug it in directly from the ADSL modem? In the US most routers use the RJ45 cable but for some reason I remember seeing it run by USB or a different cable when I was in Argie.

Do you have to pay extra fees to run the vonage box from argentina instead of US?

Can you carry around the vonage box and use it at a locutorio?

And one last question: It seemed that in most buildings that wifi was not possible becuase of the DSL. The IP had to be registered with the company, as so that the connection wasn't shared with the whole building. Am I right on this? I"d like to bring my voip line with me instead of having to rely on Skype (which does work great as all you need to carry with you is a cheap headset. The locutorios have these anyway)

Thanks for the help and correct me where I"m wrong on how this works there.

TM

Exon123
09-17-07, 04:09
So I'd like to know a bit more of the technical information related to the feasibility of bringing these in. I see a lot of apartments (such as jackson) that have these.

If I have a vonage box, will it work if I plug it in directly from the ADSL modem? In the US most routers use the RJ45 cable but for some reason I remember seeing it run by USB or a different cable when I was in Argie.

Do you have to pay extra fees to run the vonage box from argentina instead of US?

And one last question: It seemed that in most buildings that wifi was not possible becuase of the DSL. The IP had to be registered with the company, as so that the connection wasn't shared with the whole building. Am I right on this? I"d like to bring my voip line with me instead of having to rely on Skype (which does work great as all you need to carry with you is a cheap headset. The locutorios have these anyway)

TMI bring my Vonage with me, all I need is a high speed internet connection. Its quite handy, just like sitting in my office. The Vonage doesn't know its in South America, so all calls to the USA are free, most calls I don't even need an area code.

Exon

Punter 127
09-17-07, 13:13

TMI have Vonage and I have used it at several apartments with high speed cable internet. All the modems I have seen in BsAs have used the RJ45 connection; I have never seen USB used here. I also carry a small Linksys travel router so I can have Wireless in the apartment; I have not had any problems. Just make sure your unit is dual voltage or you have a transformer.

You do not pay extra for using your Vonage from AR.

I have also used Skype but have had problems with dropped calls.

Hound
09-17-07, 13:56
Another vonage user here. The apt I stay at has adsl as well as a cable connection. My choice. I've found that Vonage won't work with the adsl but is great with the cable connection. Maybe the problem is just with this apt. Maybe it's a Telecom / Telefonca lockout and is true around the city. Anybody use Vonage with adsl connection with success?

Seaman
09-17-07, 14:14
Vonage "does not care" if it is running over a cable or (A) DSL connection.

I am running similar services over a variety of links, including cable and ADSL. (Even WiFi)

Just bad luck from your end I think. Sometimes it will not work when you get a modem from the provider which already has a router with VoIP function built in. (But even then there are ways around it)

MacDaddy
09-17-07, 16:31
I have a question for Skype Users. This may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. I have signed up for the unlimited US Calling. I will be in BA and Southern Brasil soon and I have the following question.

If I log onto Skype down there, I assume it will be free for me to call the US. Is that correct? Thanks.

Dwayne

Seaman
09-17-07, 16:57
Correct. It does not matter where you are calling from. Only where you are calling to.

El Perro
10-01-07, 14:10
After nearly two years with Skype, and very good service, I have noticed an increase in dropped calls and fuzzy connection over the past 2-3 weeks. Any confirmation of that with others? I see today that their CEO is being replaced.

Member #3314
10-01-07, 14:24
I have been calling Argentina on skype for a few weeks with no problems other than my craptastic spanish.

Easy Go
10-01-07, 19:42
It has been reported in the trades that they are having some problems with a couple of recent versions.

I've experience mixed results over the last couple of weeks. Some calls are perfect (Skype in BA to US cell) while others have had delays and echos. No drops.

Thomaso276
10-01-07, 20:33
I do not know if this applies (I have Vonage and never used Skype) but Fibertel -the largest internet cable provider here, upgrading their servers in Sep and thru Oct. I had a few issues while this had been going on but my service was upgraded last week.

They upped all feeds (1mg to 2mg, 2 meg to 4 meg, etc) for the current price.

Surfdog
10-25-07, 14:32
This is a new device that is a Skype / Vonage killer. For about 40 bucks you get one year unlimited service and the USB device.

I've used this last month on several calls from Europe to US clarity is great and connection is immediate.

Good luck. I have Vonage in my apartment in BA and will replace with MJ.

El Perro
11-02-07, 13:37
Here's a question for Skype users: Is there a way to navigate through a recording that asks you to press certain numbers, so that you can be directed to the right person? For example, when calling LAN, you get a recording with a set of numbers to push for reservations, flight info etc. Without the normal telephone "keypad" this is impossible and you can lose the call. Interestingly, every now and then I have pushed the number on my PC's keypad and it has worked, though not today. I've never read anything about this issue. Any magic out there?

Alan23
11-02-07, 14:13
Hi Dog,

In the Skype window, you will have several "tabs" that run near the top (Contacts, Call Phone, Live, History, etc. Click on "CALL PHONES", this will provide you with a numeric keypad. You can use the mouse on it, or I have found that once I click in the window - the numeric keys on my computer keyboard always work.

If you need more info - pm me.

Alan

El Perro
11-02-07, 14:20
Hi Dog,

In the Skype window, you will have several "tabs" that run near the top (Contacts, Call Phone, Live, History, etc. Click on "CALL PHONES", this will provide you with a numeric keypad. You can use the mouse on it, or I have found that once I click in the window - the numeric keys on my computer keyboard always work.

If you need more info - pm me.

AlanMuch thanks Alan. Muy amable. I'll check it out and PM you if I can't figure it out.

Member #3320
08-29-08, 01:50
Dear friends,

I wanted advise on where I can buy Vonage phone in BA.

I am looking for alternatives such as a vonage phone. My cell phone is prepaid and its almost like 30-40 ARS peso expenditure every day on it adding to my overall expenditure.

Any advise on how to save money on local calls would be highly advantageous to me.

Thanks.

AllIWantIsLove
08-29-08, 02:15
I think that you are talking about Vonage. You can buy practically anything electronic at the "Galleria Jardin" on Florida Ave. I don't recall the address but I think that a search will find it easily.

If you travel with a laptop you might not need a phone. With a mic and a headset you can make telephone calls from your laptop. (Maybe you can use your laptop's mic and speakers but I don't as I worry about feedback. Mics and headsets are cheap at "jardin".

Yahoo and Skype both offer such services. Maybe even Vonage does. Yahoo and Skype are both dirt cheap. (The Yahoo service is part of Yahoo Messenger. I've used Yahoo to call the US. Sometimes quality was great, sometimes lousy. In my situation I was sharing an Internet connection. If you have your own Internet connection I'd think you'd have consistently good quality. I'm not sure if it's even possible to call BA but I'd guess so. Worth looking into anyway. You can even get a phone number and receive calls. Your laptop would have to be turned on of course, but I think that the services come with or offer voicemail.

Bob

Sportsman
08-29-08, 02:55
I never used Vonage so I don't know that much about it. What I do know it is not the phone that matters, Vonage uses regular phones. The difference is it connects to a "Vonage Box" and monthly subscription to Vonage service is required. I'm not even sure if Vonage subscription is available from BsAs.

I do use Skype. Making Skype calls to BsAs landline and US costs 2.4 cents (USD) per minutes, 19.8 cents to BsAs cell phones, no charge to US toll free numbers. The rates are the same no matter where you are calling from.

Member #3320
08-29-08, 03:44
I never used Vonage so I don't know that much about it. What I do know it is not the phone that matters, Vonage uses regular phones. The difference is it connects to a "Vonage Box" and monthly subscription to Vonage service is required. I'm not even sure if Vonage subscription is available from BsAs.

I do use Skype. Making Skype calls to BsAs landline and US costs 2.4 cents (USD) per minutes, 19.8 cents to BsAs cell phones, no charge to US toll free numbers. The rates are the same no matter where you are calling from.I went to Vonage website and saw that they are quoting a rate of 1 c / minute for all calls to BA. I wonder how to avail such rates as I am going bankrupt trying to call to BA cellphones.

Sportsman
08-29-08, 04:23
OK, I can't sleep tonight so I called Vonage. Here is what I was told. The Unlimited Plan has a monthly fee of $24.99, plus a $9.99 one time fee for the Vonage adapter. You'll get unlimited calls to any US numbers. $0.01 per minute to BsAs only applies to landlines. BsAs cell phones will cost $0.23 per minute.

Even with their Unlimited Mexico and Latin America Plan with $39.99 monthly fee, only landlines in BsAs are free. Cell phone will still cost $0.21 per minute.

You can get an adapter outside the country, but it will probably cost around $80 USD and another $25 activation fee. Activation fee is waived if ordering the service from the US.

Capn Rick
11-13-08, 21:23
Saludos.

I can report a significant quality degradation in Skype quality over the last 3 weeks -both video and speech dropped from 8-10 (scale of 1-10) quality to 4-6 including several dropped calls. It is notably difficult to talk to customer support reps in Africa and India for some reason. Many times, the problem calls can be improved by hanging up and calling again. This problem has been observed on calls to landline and cell service phones.

Until recently, I would have had no problem recommending Skype to someone needing to call clients around the world every day. I pay about 36 bucks per quarter for unlimited worldwide plus a Miami Beach 305 area phone number.

Suerte

Exon123
11-13-08, 21:43
Saludos.

I can report a significant quality degradation in Skype quality over the last 3 weeks -both video and speech dropped from 8-10 (scale of 1-10) quality to 4-6 including several dropped calls. It is notably difficult to talk to customer support reps in Africa and India for some reason. Many times, the problem calls can be improved by hanging up and calling again. This problem has been observed on calls to landline and cell service phones.

Until recently, I would have had no problem recommending Skype to someone needing to call clients around the world every day. I pay about 36 bucks per quarter for unlimited worldwide plus a Miami Beach 305 area phone number.

SuerteTry using "Majic Jack" its $20 bucks a year and even I can figure out how to use it.

Exon

El Perro
11-13-08, 21:58
Saludos.

SuerteI still have had very few Skype problems. I have a 305 number as well. Today, I downloaded an updated Skype program. Too early to tell if there is any difference.

Giovanni B
11-14-08, 08:12
This is a new device that is a Skype / Vonage killer. For about 40 bucks you get one year unlimited service and the USB device.

I've used this last month on several calls from Europe to US clarity is great and connection is immediate.

Good luck. I have Vonage in my apartment in BA and will replace with MJ.They advertise the MagicJack working from the USA to call out but is anyone using it here to call the US? Does it give you a number so that people can call you?

BadMan
11-14-08, 09:57
I have been using Skype WiFi phones for the past few months and they work great.

All you need is a wifi network and a wifi phone (which looks like a small cell phone) and you are good to go. I can make calls from just about anywhere, home, office, bars, restaurants etc.

The phones cost around $ 140 - $ 200 USD and the Skype service costs $ 12.99 a month (unlimited long distance to over 40 countries including Buenos Aires Argentina) You don't need a funky head set and you don't need a computer. Fuck being wired.

As far as reception goes. I have about a 90% success rate. The phone always works, but I occasionally get a dropped call or some static. But for $ 13 bucks a month for unlimited international. I can't find a better, cheaper, more reliable option. Magic Jack probably has some potential, but it's not a leap forward in technology and I am guessing customer support doesn't exist so it won't work for me.

Regards,

BM.

Giovanni B
11-14-08, 12:23
As far as reception goes. I have about a 90% success rate. The phone always works, but I occasionally get a dropped call or some static. But for $ 13 bucks a month for unlimited international. I can't find a better, cheaper, more reliable option. Magic Jack probably has some potential, but it's not a leap forward in technology and I am guessing customer support doesn't exist so it won't work for me.Stupid question number 1:) You are living in BsAs?

Stupid question number 2:) Where did you buy the phone?

Stupid question number 3:) You have voice mail and a US Number?

Exon123
11-22-08, 20:10
I bought one of these Majic Jacks for ths trip and it works great.

All you need is a lap top, high speed internet and a Telephone.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp

Exon

Lcolombiano
08-14-09, 07:00
FOA, Hello guys this is my 1st post, I moved 4 months ago to BSAS. I wanted to keep in touch w my family overseas, I saw this unlimited country SKYPE promotion for landlane phones. I decided to purchase it, I'm currently with out a credit card so I decided to use bank transfer option, I went down to "Microcentro", pay up in BBVA and went back home, I saw that disclamation statement from SKYPE, that when back transferring it could take up to 7 days, so I sit on wait. Long story short. 2 months since I did my payment, NO unlimited country SKYPE promotion for me, many communications between them and me, and I know it's only 5 bucks, but I noticed that I'm not the only one who has been ripped off. And they also decided to ignore all my questions and communications.

FUCK SKYPE!

Polvo
08-16-09, 02:51
F. I decided to purchase it, I'm currently with out a credit card. FUCK SKYPE!The service is well worth it, but Skype (e-bay) have no customer skills. If you can, one of the best ways to get around this is to get a US PayPal account and pay that way, but try and have a US address. Gets around all the issues. It is also the cheapest service you can get for worldwide, Magic Jack is best for just US calls.

Suerte!

Polvo

Jaimito Cartero
08-17-09, 04:16
Not having a credit card can make things quite painful. I'd buy some sort of debit card that you could fund stuff like this with. I've used the Skype unlimited service for a couple of months, earlier this year, and had no problems with billing or the service.