PDA

View Full Version : Le Sud

Hunt99
05-30-05, 17:00
http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fichehotel/gb/sof/3253/fiche_restaurant.shtml

I had dinner here a few days ago in the company of two prominent board members and our dates.

The opinions of our two fellow posters were split. When discussing what we should write in a review, one said: "tell the cheap bastards on the board that this place is too snooty and expensive for them." The other's comments were more positive, but less colorful. :)

Like any elegant French restaurant, this place can rub some the wrong way. No bife de chorizo and papas fritas on the menu. But excellent, elegant food and a super wine list. Dinner including a less-expensive wine (Torrontes, an excellent Argentine varietal, highly recommended!), an appetizer, entree, and dessert ran to about 100 pesos apiece.

There is a five course prix fixe menu for 95 pesos which had some excellent choices on it, though none of us ordered it (with this kind of selection, you really need to have most or all of the members of your party to order it, else you'll have a lot of people sitting around watching you eat!).

Arroyo 841 849
CAPITAL FEDERAL
C1007AAB
BUENOS AIRES
ARGENTINA

Tel +54 11/41310000

Young & Restless
05-30-05, 18:03
Hi Hunt99,

Good review on Le Sud. It even sounds like it might be worth checking out. I’m sure that I’m in the minority here, but ignorance is truly bliss because I actually enjoy eating garbage like bife de chorizo and papas fritas. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing some of the better places to eat at in BsAs. Next time I might actually fool some people into thinking that I have good taste. LOL!

Hunt99
05-31-05, 01:40
Hi Hunt99,

Good review on Le Sud. It even sounds like it might be worth checking out. I’m sure that I’m in the minority here, but ignorance is truly bliss because I actually enjoy eating garbage like bife de chorizo and papas fritas. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing some of the better places to eat at in BsAs. Next time I might actually fool some people into thinking that I have good taste. LOL!

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of a good hunk of beef ("jugoso" of course!), but I think Le Sud was refreshing (at least for BsAs) in that it didn't have a single steak on the menu.

There are some excellent steakhouses reviewed on this board; I know a few more that I will add when I have the inspiration.

Hunt99
11-21-05, 13:43
Had lunch here last week. Continues to be good, albeit a bit on the pricey side for some of our more economy-minded colleagues (which means it costs about what you'd pay at Applebees back home) Had an excellent salmon and a seafood appetizer, forget what appetizer and entree my dining mate had, but remember that it was good. Three glasses of very good wine total, 200 pesos.

Norman Stormin
01-17-06, 22:36
It has been over a year since I ate here and as I've been on a French kick lately, I thought it time to renew my aquaintance. This is, after all, a French hotel with a chef trained in France. And today I found out that beautiful hostess / cashier is from Nice. Time on target, 13:30 with no reservation. None necessary as everyone is at the beach. I love January in Buenos Aires. I can get a seat on the bus or subway and you never need a reservation.

The lunchoen menu and prices have not changed in 2 years. I was here 12/03 and 12/04. You have four choices:

1) Totally a la cart with dishes ranging from 14p to 40p.

2) Prix fix 3 course of appetizer, main plate, desert, with one glass of wine 45p. There are no choices. Today was smoked salmon, escalopes of beef loin in a wine sauce with green beans, and a difficult to describe orange soup with hardened cream and peach desert.

3) Prix fix 3 course same as above except you have about 6 choices from each category and one glass of wine 49p. I had an escabeche of chicken serverd with greens and a terraine of eggplant, pork loin seared in Dijon mustard and pepper corns (excellent) and another indescribabel yet yummy desert of pureed pineapple, coconut in a hardened cream, decorated with chocolate stearmers.

4) Same as 3 above with no desert 42p.

Water 6p and coffee 6p are extra. I prefer the food at La Bourgone, but Le Sud is a close second. Given the extraordinary ambiance and price structure of Le Sud, I rank it as the best value in the French category.

If anyone is interested, they are having a diner promotion the 24th thru 29th of January. A five course meal prepared with wines of the Finca la Celia cellar 89p.

Norman Stormin
12-07-15, 10:21
Prix Fix Luncheon: 350p appetizer, main and beverage.

Add desert: 450p.

Norman Stormin
12-17-18, 12:07
Not only is the Restaurant gone, but the Hotel with it !

The restaurant sceen is becoming like the private apartment bordello sceen:

A historical memory !