PDA

View Full Version : La Caballeriza (Recoleta Village)

Moore
05-31-05, 02:09
Tourist trap zone. Pretty much sucks. Overpriced.

Booths / English Menus / TGIFridays atmosphere should have been enough to keep me out. Surprising that the waitresses werent wearing clown uniforms (almost were).

Had the Churraso steak. Not bad for a thin skirt strip. Was expecting a good thick Argentine cut.

Papas a la provenzal served up in such a way that I ordered ketchup (never done that here before).

Coffee quite good.

Price for 1 pesos 47, way too much for that.

Hunt99
05-31-05, 02:20
I have eaten here before, but not within the last year, but when I did I found it acceptable.

A good, nearby alternative that I like is El Parrilon de Recoleta, which is 100 meters away next door to New Port Pub.

Keep in mind that the restaurants in this area are perhaps the most-touristy of all in BsAs. If you're wanting an inexpensive, locals-only parrilla, this is not the area to eat in.

However, with that said, there are a number of commendable places in this area, and, unless Moore's unfortunate experience is truly a new standard, no really terrible tourist trap ripoffs. Argentines tend to be too proud of their cuisine to sell terrible food. ;)

Jaimito Cartero
05-31-05, 02:56
I find that many of the restaurants in this area are overpriced and quality is always up in the air. Stay away from World Sport Cafe (Bar?) in particular. You can go down the street to Yugo's for 14 pesos and get a lot more.

Dickhead
05-31-05, 05:51
I have eaten at Parillón de Recoleta on a number of occasions at others' behest, probably 8-10 times, and have always been disappointed, often severly so. In fact, as a former professional cook, I think the place should be nuked into oblivion. What they do to perfectly good pink salmon is downright inexcusable.

Had dinner at Yugo's just this past week and it was excellent as always. Not only is it one third the price of the Recoleta Rip Offs, it is better even if prices were the same. Recommend the lomo or the ojo de bife.

Just my opinion.

Hunt99
05-31-05, 12:04
I have eaten at Parillón de Recoleta on a number of occasions at others' behest, probably 8-10 times, and have always been disappointed, often severly so. In fact, as a former professional cook, I think the place should be nuked into oblivion. What they do to perfectly good pink salmon is downright inexcusable.

Had dinner at Yugo's just this past week and it was excellent as always. Not only is it one third the price of the Recoleta Rip Offs, it is better even if prices were the same. Recommend the lomo or the ojo de bife.

Just my opinion.

Just as I would never order a steak at a sushi bar, you're probably asking for trouble if you order a salmon at a parrilla, DH!

We'll have to agree to disagree about PdeR, though. Plenty of mongers on this board eat there regularly, and they can't all be wrong. While I haven't eaten there for half a year or so, I've never had a really bad experience. You do know a thing or two about cooking an excellent steak, however, so I value your opinion even if I don't necessarily agree with it in this instance.

As for Yugo's, where is it? It might be worth opening up a new thread on it with an address and your thumbnail review. I'd like to check it out.

Daddy Rulz
05-31-05, 13:27
I eat there alot (even though the owner is a fucking River fan) and have generally been satisfied. I only go there for one thing though, a romilade (sp) of lomo. It's a hunk of lomo sliced thin and wrapped around ham, peppers, onion and cheese, always excellent.

If you just want a hunk of good beef cooked well in that neighborhood, go to the joint off Las Heras on Azucucho (Richard T could you supply the name please) ask for Carlos the waiter and order any bottle of wine. His wine presentation alone is worth the price of dinner. Food is excelent and 1/3rd of the price of the tourist joints 4 blocks away. This may be the Yugo DH was talking about.

Dickhead
05-31-05, 15:22
Yeah dat's Yugo and it is at Ayacucho 1629 and Charlie is my favorite waiter (that might be Daddy's Carlos). Don't order the chicken, though. Hey daddy and Uncle, I had that roulade at Parillón too and was not impressed. Also the last time I ordered a medium steak I had to send it back for more fire. The chorizo is okay.

Jaimito Cartero
05-31-05, 15:48
As for Yugo's, where is it? It might be worth opening up a new thread on it with an address and your thumbnail review. I'd like to check it out.

I wrote a short review of it a couple of weeks ago, and over a year ago as well. I have pictures from my last time there and will post them now that DH posted the address.

The cuts do vary in quality, and the waiters are always great. The last time I went there (the day I left), I was going to go to Grant's around the corner, but they saw my big ass, and said, "Uh, sorry, we're out of food", so I went to Yugo's (I had eaten there the night before), a couple of minutes before 3pm. I was sure they were closed, but they let me in (The was one other person finishing up), and the waiter even cooked my meal for me.

Judd
06-10-06, 05:27
Ate here a couple of weeks ago with some dudes from the board. Shared some cuts of beef and chicken. The beef was average but the chicken was undercooked. My opinion as well as my counterparts, this place is overpriced. Can get a better steak at El Rincon around the corner for 2/3rds the price.

Judd

BA Luvr
06-10-06, 12:42
If you're talking about Caballeriza rather than Yugo, I agree with you. This place sucks. I couldn't finish my meal there. I think there's another one in Puerto Madera, but can't say whether or not it's the same.

===============================================

Hi Ba Luvr,

It's the same place, and I've never been impressed with either of them.

Thanks,

Jackson

Desperado999
09-15-06, 23:07
This restaurant in Recoleta is a greasiest place I have eaten at. Stick to the in Puerto Madero. It is better grade of food and service!

Mpexy
09-20-06, 18:47
I've ate here three times, over a period of something like 8 months. Basically, every couple months I give it a go to see if they've changed, but same thing. My one real complaint that has me avoid the place is that no matter what I say or ask for, the chicken always arrives undercooked.

So that seems to be a recurring theme for this place (the Recoleta one, never tried the other in PM)

El Queso
10-20-07, 21:56
My girl, her sister and I went to La Caballeriza a week or so ago. I've also been there a couple of times in the past with a buddy of mine who visits BA on occasion. It was never particularly bad, but neither was it very memorable, particularly for the somewhat higher prices, being in Recoleta. On this particular night, we had some time to kill before a movie and didn't feel like walking the block and a half to El Yugo (more's the pity)

To sum up (detail to follow) I will never go there again, and would urge anyone else to skip this place in the future.

I ordered matambrito de cerdo, my girl ordered tire de asado (sure that's not spelled right) I don't remember what her sister ordered.

My matambrito wasn't bad, but it was very so-so. My girl's meat arrived, and (she has one helluva nose) said it didn't smell right before the waiter even put it on the table. I told her to see what it looked like, cutting in to it, and it was then we realized that it was almost raw (I love very rare beef - I couldn't have touched this one) Forgetting about the smell at that point, I asked the waiter to bring it back and have it cooked.

After almost twenty minutes, he returned with the steak. It was well-cooked this time, which is the way my girl likes it. However, she put a bite in her mouth and gagged, spitting it out. I tried it to see how bad it was, and almost vomitted - it tasted like the meat had been sitting out in the sun for a week or so before being cooked.

I called the waiter over again and told him what the deal was. He apologized and offered this time to replace the meat with a lomo. I thought that was a fair offer and accepted. He returned about 15 minutes later with a well-cooked lomo. Of course, by this time my girl was a bit upset and also still had the taste of rotten meat in her mouth and didn't eat very much.

When the time came to ask for the bill, I noticed that the waiter had charged me for the Lomo, and not the asado! When I complained he shrugged his shoulders and said that that is what she ended up eating.

Needless to say, I didn't leave a tip, and I doubt it impacted them in any way.

I've lived here for almost a year now, and this is by far the worst dining experience I've had. Not that I haven't had my share of bad service and bad food, but this one took the cake for me.

Thomaso276
10-21-07, 01:26
Here is their webpage with a feed back section. Let 'em have it. Se if they respond and how they handle your problem. Apparently the feedback goes to the manager and maybe someone reads english.

http://www.lacaballeriza-argentina.com/