PDA

View Full Version : Bars in general

Dickhead
06-15-05, 23:56
Didn't think we needed a new thread for every bar so I am starting a new, general thread. Found an interesting one today. "Jack the Ripper" in the 900 block of Montevideo (odd numbered side, middle of the block). Good happy hour and other specials such as ladies' night, darts downstairs, good music, high female/male ratio. Check it out.

Miami Bob
06-20-05, 01:53
What's the age range and type of folks who hang-out there?

Non-pro women? Some folks speak some english?--sounds like an English-style pub?

Dickhead
06-20-05, 02:14
I can't really generalize based on one visit. I was the only gringo in the place, and it wasn't crowded. What I mostly liked was there were two tables full of women and when I wandered over to talk to them, they were friendly. I refuse to speak English in these situations so I don't normally find out if many people speak it or not. The manager definitely does and I chatted with him for a while with him speaking English to me and me speaking castellano back to him. I'd assume none of the chicas spoke English or they might have tried some with me. I talked to four or five of them and never heard any English. All younger people in there. Chicas were in their 20s and there were a couple of 35-ish guys who wandered in and out.

Daddy Rulz
06-20-05, 03:13
I've done a ton of mongering in BsAs however I have never had an invitation turned down by a non pro for dinner movie etc. The women here are pretty much unafraid of strangers. Christ if they will talk to Richard T they will talk to anybody.

Take a chance and ask a non pro out.

Moore
06-20-05, 23:29
Where is it? Never heard of it, maybe because that name said in Spanish would sound funny.

Dickhead
06-20-05, 23:50
Ummm.

As I stated in my original post it is in the 900 block of Montevideo which places it between Paraguay and Marcelo T de Alvear. To get even more specific the odd side of the street indicates it is on the east side, which is towards the river.

Sorry to sound snarky, Moore, but you have it coming.

Moore
06-22-05, 21:08
My "bad", I honestly can't believe I asked about the address when its posted posted below Dickhead. Anyway, I promise to never make a mistake again!

Thing
10-10-05, 18:22
My favorite bar is UNICO in Palermo Hollywood (Honduras 5602, corner of Fitz Roy) It's a small place with dark wood, very casual, and a bit of a West-Village-meets-Left-Bank-bistro feel to it. But it has good clientele (pretty girls, and people who are a bit more intellectual / artsy than usually flock to the area) is open all night, and is arguably at it's best during the afternoon and evening. It's more or less the neighborhood pub / cafe for the cooler, less Miami-flash residents of Palermo Soho / Hollywood. And their hamburgers are phenomenal.

So if you you find yourself missing your old downtown NYC watering hole (and Kilkenny, Shamrock, etc. Don't fill this need for me) stop by UNICO. Bring the newspaper, a pack of smokes, and have a late lunch and you'll see what I mean.

Stowe
11-08-05, 02:18
Permanently shut down? That is the bar near your apartment, right? I liked that place. It always had a lot of energy and was busy. A lot of chicas there also.

Too bad.

Stowe

Moore
11-08-05, 19:06
Shamrock, like many other bars, has been closed / clausurado several times over the past few years. So has Kilkenney. Using recent history as a guide, the closure should not last for more than a week.

Hunt99
11-08-05, 19:11
Shamrock, like many other bars, has been closed / clausurado several times over the past few years. So has Kilkenney. Using recent history as a guide, the closure should not last for more than a week.Long enough for the owners to get their payoff to the local police Capitan up to date.

Moore
11-08-05, 19:43
Hunt99,

Something like that.

Moore
11-11-05, 17:47
Shamrock is open again.

BTW, to all guys who complain about 2nd hand smoke - move back to the USA immediately. People in Argentina, like in most parts of the world, smoke and smoke a lot wherever they please. Dogs shit all over the sidewalk here too. Stop whining and deal with it.

Daddy Rulz
11-12-05, 05:49
Shamrock is open again.

BTW, to all guys who complain about 2nd hand smoke - move back to the USA immediately. People in Argentina, like in most parts of the world, smoke and smoke a lot wherever they please. Dogs shit all over the sidewalk here too. Stop whining and deal with it.I'm with Moore.

Daddy Rulz
11-12-05, 14:31
Point taken Benny.

Moore
11-12-05, 18:57
I am sincerely sorry to hear about your health problems Papa Benito, whatever the cause may be.

Once again, if secondhand smoke poses a problem for you then you really should be in the USA. Most of the rest of us will continue going to Shamrock (after waiting in a long line) and other places and not even notice the smoke. Good luck finding bars around here that cater to people who are sensitive to secondhand smoke.

Maybe El Alamo might be suitable for you. I avoid that place and recommend the same to others because I believe it is a health hazard. I almost vomited upon ingesting the food there, and unfortunately I ingested it firsthand. I was afflicted with diarrhea later that day and I believe that the firsthand food of El Alamo was the cause of that health problem.

And to think that some people accused me of being a pussy just for ordering an Amstel Light once!

Jaimito Cartero
11-12-05, 19:35
If these places just invested in some good ventilation, with good smoke filtering, they'd be fine. Given all the people that died in the nightclub, some of these places should be closed for overcrowding.

Moore
11-15-05, 00:54
I'm not in denial. Smoking is not healthy, no doubt about it. Many things are unhealthy and/or dangerous. Look at life expectancy rates of countries with a relativlely high rate of smoking like France, Japan, or even Argentina and compare them with the rate of the USA. Not much difference, Japan's is even higher.

Lots of things kill you in the long run. Probably the most life threatening thing I do -by a long shot- is get in a car in the USA. Most of the danger is caused not by me but by secondhand reckless/drunk drivers. But I still do it and don't really worry or complain.

Increase you life expectancy by drinking Amstel Light, "the largest-selling imported light beer brand".

Moore
05-25-06, 00:08
Is clausurado/closed again. I happened to be passing by last night at about 11 and saw it. That's twice in 6 months, hmmm.

Shamrock should have its own thread. One of the best and consistently good bars in the city.

El Perro
05-25-06, 21:59
Is clausurado / closed again. I happened to be passing by last night at about 11 and saw it. That's twice in 6 months, hmmm.

Shamrock should have its own thread. One of the best and consistently good bars in the city.I would guess whatever the local equivalent is of the fire marshall. I live around the block, and you can't go by the place from 11pm til whenever without it being jam packed.

El Perro
05-27-06, 18:20
Noted today a sign on the door that says reopening May 29.

Dickhead
07-17-06, 01:59
I was going to go to Deep Blue on Ayacucho between Arenales and Juncal a few nights ago but it was closing (around 2:45 AM) so I went into the place directly across the street and was favorably impressed. The name of the place escapes me, though.

5 pesos for a mug of Isenbeck and there is a 2 for 1 happy hour at some point, maybe 7 to 11 or thereabouts but don't hold me to it. Jameson's is 12 pesos which is too much so I passed on that, which was probably wise at that point in the evening.

There were a lot of good looking chicas who appeared to be gringas but were speaking excellent Spanish. Turns out they are US university students, Spanish majors, on an exchange program. Some hot young American chicas here! Also many were quite drunk. Could be a target rich environment for those so inclined. They live nearby so are probably there quite often.

Bartenders were quite friendly. Initially I was shortchanged; asked the price of the beer, five pesos. Gave a ten and got back three. Pointed out the discrepancy and they were profusely apologetic and more importantly gave me the second beer on the house. So, I stayed for a few more. Anyone who's in the hood might post the name.

Moore
07-17-06, 02:36
That place used to be called The Spot and was a hangout of mine. Apparently reopened or a new venture. The head bartender was an Australian dude. It was a cool bar but was almost always empty or maybe a smattering of Anglos.

Dickhead
07-17-06, 02:51
I think it might even still be called The Spot. It was certainly by no means full but seemed like it was doing a healthy business given the day and time. Maybe 20 people in the place. Twice as many women as men. The bartenders both seemed like Argies to me but you never know since it was a whole big deal not to speak English (because of all the Spanish students) and plus I was already in the .15 range when I walked in there. I never heard a word of English out of the bartenders even between themselves. Darts was the main activity.

El Perro
07-18-06, 12:55
I dropped by "The Spot" location last night about 11:30. Not open. Checked with a couple of loitering locals who report it is open Weds-Saturday, not sure about Sunday. For anybody headed over there, there is no sign outside (unless they hang something out when they are open) Just about directly across from Deep Blue. Black gate. Also dropped by the Shamrock. Same ol. Hard to beat the happy hour drink prices. 7p gets you 2 Heinekens. Do NOT go there most days of the week after 11 or 11:30. Packed, with a line of wannabes way down the street.

Hound
07-18-06, 13:47
As stated by others this is a dark bar, Englishman owned. Was there for happy hour (6-9) on a Monday. Happy hour is 2 for 1 on all alc beverages so for the Grand Marnier drinkers (12p) at 2/1 not a bad deal at all. Music is from an internet feed, a nice mix. The bartender said the best time is about midnight with a mix of locals and some English speakers. Ladies night Thurs. On July 28 there will be a 5 year anniversary party. About a 7,8 minute hike from the Shamrock or the Kids R Us Beerhall (1175 Uruaguay) Maybe a good diversion about midnight?

Dickhead
07-18-06, 13:50
"Spot" had some kinda sandwich board out the night I was there, which I remembered from previous visits to Deep Blue. Were it not for that I would never have known of its existence.

El Perro
07-20-06, 00:59
I had a few beers at "The Spot" tonight. To correct some of my previous misinformation, the place is open Tuesday to Saturday. Not directly across from Deep Blue, but a little diagonal towards Recoleta way. Very personable barkeep name of Claudio, originally from Uruguay. And Moore, your Aussie barkeep is back down under.

El Perro
07-20-06, 01:11
Also checked out Jack the Ripper tonight, though early. Fucking dark in this place. Had an awkward conversation with some TCU supporter tourist who cast aspersions upon the mongering community. Also, upon noticing my Guinness, remarked in a haughty manner that he could never "develop a taste for that english stuff". I refrained from splitting his fat lip with an at the ready David Bowie jewel case and moved on.

Bacchus9
07-21-06, 15:21
What's called a wanker, when in a British pub, or fucking wanker **** more likely. Also a poser for not liking Guinness.

Flexible Horn
07-21-06, 17:02
Also checked out Jack the Ripper tonight, though early. Fucking dark in this place. Had an awkward conversation with some TCU supporter tourist who cast aspersions upon the mongering community. Also, upon noticing my Guinness, remarked in a haughty manner that he could never "develop a taste for that english stuff". I refrained from splitting his fat lip with an at the ready David Bowie jewel case and moved on.This 'Guy' obviously did not know his stuff, as I believe Guinness was 1st brewed in Dublin Ireland and the Irish are very proud of their drink.

I can't believe a comment like ' Wanker' or 'Fucking wanker ****' if you don't like Guinness.

Have you ever drank in a British pub?

Do you think we all stand around drinking Guinness?

Unbelievable!

Dickhead
07-21-06, 17:16
Not only is Guinness made in Eire (Republic of Ireland) but all the grain used in it is grown in Eire. The harp is the symbol of Ireland and that would be a good first clue.

Rock Harders
07-21-06, 17:58
Dickhead-

Only the Guinness served in Ireland, the UK, the USA and possibly continental Europe is actually brewed in Ireland at the St. James Gate location. The Guinness you get here, whether in the draught bottles or on tap at a pub, is brewed in South America. Likewise if you were to have a Guinness in Africa, Asia, or Australia, its all brewed locally.

Suerte,.

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
07-21-06, 18:36
Do you think we all stand around drinking Guinness?

Unbelievable!Stand first, fall later.:)

Dickhead
07-21-06, 18:58
Understood, DD, but none of it's brewed in the UK, was the point.

Bacchus9
07-21-06, 21:49
A poser for not liking Guinness. A wanker or fucking wanker **** for casting aspersions on the mongering community. I hope this fine point clarifies the issue (s)

On the other hand, as I understand it, in British pubs some are prostrate, not standing, but usually after drinking a lot of Guiness.

El Perro
10-16-07, 20:42
I was there with a gf at 1am, Sun. Morning. Great music, the best that I have heard in BA = rap, hip hop, remix, techno. Lively, convivial, friendly crowd. Not too loud. Chugging contests, darts, small tables, a lotta people standing and talking. Friendly bartenders. Ten pesos cover but includes a pinta. Other pintas are either 7 or 10 pesos, I can't remember. Non ho's available.Nice to see the place is still open. El Sid get's around!

6 pesos a rack at Deep Blue! The tables and sticks are probably for shit too! Now that IS inflation. Still 2p at Gibralter. Their food and beer keep going up, but the price for a game of pool unchanged in nearly two years.

Esten
02-23-08, 15:31
In San Telmo, the address is Defensa 695. It's on a corner between Chile and Mexico.

Very interesting place, low lighting, lots of older wooden furnishings. Warm and cozy atmosphere. Two levels with the second level only on one side and offering a good view of the scene below. Busy when I was there though not completely packed. Younger to middle age crowd. Mainly a bar but with a limited lunch / dinner menu as well. I had the bife for 22 pesos and a salad for 18 pesos. Good music... I heard The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and some jazz.

It is one of several "Bar Notable" designated by the city of Buenos Aires for its historical and cultural significance. According to one website it was converted into a bar from a nineteenth-century pharmacy.

El Perro
02-23-08, 19:32
In San Telmo, the address is Defensa 695. It's on a corner between Chile and Mexico.

Very interesting place, low lighting, lots of older wooden furnishings. Warm and cozy atmosphere. Two levels with the second level only on one side and offering a good view of the scene below. Busy when I was there though not completely packed. Younger to middle age crowd. Mainly a bar but with a limited lunch / dinner menu as well. I had the bife for 22 pesos and a salad for 18 pesos. Good music. I heard The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and some jazz.

It is one of several "Bar Notable" designated by the city of Buenos Aires for its historical and cultural significance. According to one website it was converted into a bar from a nineteenth-century pharmacy.Yeah, I like this place as it's just around the corner from me, relaxed and a wide range of ages. They have live music from time to time.

Aussie Marc
04-21-08, 18:52
Was there on Friday night for a while, around 2-3am, atmosphere was dead as a doornail. I thought I was back home.