PDA

View Full Version : Cigars

JengisKhan
06-25-05, 16:53
Hi,

I am coming to Buenos Aires for my first time in October, and plan to stay for a year or more. Was wondering what the situation is regarding buying Cubans down there. Should I bring a bunch with me or are they readily available? And how are they priced? For example, I can get a box of 25 Romeo why Julieta Churchills for about U$S 320 in the States. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Exon123
06-25-05, 23:41
Joe,

They're for sale all over town but in my view their not inexpensive.

Seems the Cuban's are real proud of their stoggies so expect to pay a price for them but I do think they are cheaper than in Mexico.

Exon

Macgoo
06-26-05, 22:36
JNasty,

Assuming that your question on buying cubans is in reference to cigars, I would tell you that finding "true Cubanos" is not as easy as you may think. It has been my experience that those available in nicer hotels were overpriced. You will see them in many places but not kept in a humidor. I did find the best (real) cuban cigars in the most unlikely of places – Café Exedra! I recommend that you buy a quantity there, although they do not keep a very large stock. I believe their rj's were priced at us$7.00 for no.1's or no. 2's. They also had Cohibas. While I am certain they are there, I did not see any RJ Churchills in bsas.

Your price on RJ Churchills seem like a very good price, but I wonder if those that you are getting in the us are actually Dominican; not Cubanos, right? Regardless, I do not recommend taking your private stash from the us down to BSAS. Taking a few to tide you over until you find the ideal location to buy locally would be a wise thing to do. I wish I had since it took me 3 days to find them.

JengisKhan
06-27-05, 09:35
jnasty,

Assuming that your question on buying Cubans is in reference to cigars, I would tell you that finding "true Cubanos" is not as easy as you may think. It has been my experience that those available in nicer hotels were overpriced. You will see them in many places but not kept in a humidor. I did find the best (real) cuban cigars in the most unlikely of places – Café Exedra! I recommend that you buy a quantity there, although they do not keep a very large stock. I believe their rj's were priced at us$7.00 for no.1's or no. 2's. They also had cohibas. While I am certain they are there, I did not see any RJ Churchills in BSAS.

Your price on RJ Churchills seem like a very good price, but I wonder if those that you are getting in the us are actually Dominican; not Cubanos, right? Regardless, I do not recommend taking your private stash from the us down to bsas. Taking a few to tide you over until you find the ideal location to buy locally would be a wise thing to do. I wish I had since it took me 3 days to find them.Ecedra sounds like a good place to sit and smoke a cigar! I will have to check it out, sin duda! By the way, you$s 7.00 for a ryj 1 or 2 is a great price. Even if you buy a box of 25 in the states, they will run you at least $10 usually. I get a box of Cubans about twice a year. Usually Cubans but sometimes Dominicans. I order online, and when I order a Cuban they are definitely Cuban. I'm not an everyday smoker (because I can't afford it) but about once a week I like to smoke a fine cigar. For me its quality, not quantity, as I can easily go without. But life's too short.

This way I can satisfy two vices at once. And don't have to bring my humidor (which I'm not very good at using. And its pretty crappy anyways) excellent tip. Thanks. Let me know if there are any other good places to buy singles.

One more thing, were the RYJ's and Cohibas in Ecedra kept in a humidor? I assume so. And how much were the Cohibas? (my all time favorite. I only smoked about five in my life, but OMG.

Hunt99
06-27-05, 14:21
There are some good-quality cigar stores in town, equivalent to what you would find in a cigar store in most big cities (not talking about kiosks here) unfortunately I don't have an address to refer you to. Might I suggest you ask the concierge at your hotel, and if you find a place you like, tell us the details?

And I should add that by my opinion, Cubanos ("puros" in castellano) aren't worth the money you'll pay.

Dickhead
06-27-05, 16:53
Although tobacco is evil and marijuana rules, I can say there is a fairly good tobacconist in Rodríguez Peńa between Juncal and Arenales on the odd numbered side. Looked like a decent cigar selection.

Macgoo
06-28-05, 01:18
Jnasty,

You are absolutely correct about the dual benefit of Ecedra. Smoking a nice cigar while sampling the chica scene for the first time was one of my most memorable experiences in BSAS. Unlike you, I am hopelessly hooked and have to have a least one per day, albeit Monte Cristo minis.

Yes, the cigars sold in Ecedra are kept in a table-top humidor. I would not have purchased or recommended you buy there otherwise. That being said, I do recommend you shopping at other locations as suggested by Dickhead and other regulars to BSAS.

Good for you if you are actually getting real Cubans over the internet. I know from personal experience that cigars purchased over the internet are often bogus knockoffs. As you know, there are many more fake Cubans sold globally than the real mccoy. Just something I learned during work with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) while investigating tobacco sells by Canadians to unsuspecting Americans.

So, from one connoisseur to another; exercise caution before making an investment in any quantity of Cuban cigars. This applies to even the most reputable establishment due to significant problems up and down the Cuban supply chain. Note: many perfectly packaged and sealed cigar boxes contain fakes swapped at the factory back in havana. Cubans, after all, are extraordinarily resourceful!

JengisKhan
06-28-05, 02:43
Jnasty,

You are absolutely correct about the dual benefit of Ecedra. Smoking a nice cigar while sampling the chica scene, for the first time, was one of my most memorable experiences in BSAs. Unlike you, I am hopelessly hooked and have to have a least one per day, albeit Monte Cristo minis.

Yes, the cigars sold in Ecedra are kept in a table-top humidor. I would not have purchased or recommended you buy there otherwise. That being said, I do recommend you shopping at other locations as suggested by Dickhead and other regulars to BSAS.

Good for you if you are actually getting real Cubans over the Internet. I know from personal experience that cigars purchased over the Internet are often bogus knockoffs. As you know, there are many more fake Cubans sold globally than the real McCoy. Just something I learned during work with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) while investigating tobacco sells by Canadians to unsuspecting Americans.

So, from one connoisseur to another; exercise caution before making an investment in any quantity of Cuban cigars. This applies to even the most reputable establishment due to significant problems up and down the Cuban supply chain. Note: many perfectly packaged and sealed cigar boxes contain fakes swapped at the factory back in Havana. Cubans, after all, are extraordinarily resourceful!When you put it that way I guess I'm not as sure as I once was, but damn they sure tasted good. All I know is that they had the official markings on the box. The way you put it, even buying them in Cuba you are taking a risk of getting a knock off, so there isnt much you can do about it.

How much were the Cohiba's at Cafe Ecedra? I'm just trying to do the math to put together a hypothetical perfect night in Argentina for when I arrive.

A great steak: $25?

A nice bottle of tinto: $25?

A cuban cigar: $25?

And a nice puta: $150?

All for $225 (or US$ 78) unreal. If my math is correct, I plan to treat myself to a night like this about once a week.

Also, its interesting that puro means a Cuban cigar down there. In Spain, a puro is any cigar, and a porro is a joint.

Nickoarg
06-29-05, 15:39
A great steak: $25?

A nice bottle of tinto: $25?

A cuban cigar: $25?

And a nice puta: $150?

All for $225 (or US$ 78) unreal. If my math is correct, I plan to treat myself to a night like this about once a week.Yes Joe, and even cheaper.

What you need to know is a couple of good places that we, the "locals", go where you get the best food, and reasonable prices. If I can be allowed to suggest a few:

"Broccolino", incredible pasta and excelent price for amazing wines. Esmeralda why Cordoba, microcentro.

"El trapiche", parrilla (bbq) also, excelent price, great food. I'll have to look for the address.

Check www.elgourmet.com and clik on "Guia de Restaurantes"

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visits!

JengisKhan
09-29-05, 14:58
We can meet up and everyone or both of us (depending on how many cigar smokers there are here) can bring a few (maybe three) cigars for the others to sample. Might be fun.

Best regards.

Dh

Spassmusssein
10-01-05, 19:45
-last week in Exedra had been a cigar-smoker. Asked him if I am right that the smokes "Romeo and Julietta", I WAS right (smellt it without seeing the cigar)

He sells Habanos and I bought a box of "Alejandro Robaina" Torpedos at a very reasonable price (180USD /25) it IS Robaina (I have been at his farm in Pinar del Rio, Cuba four years ago) and handed to me fresh, in perfect humidity and each of them really satisfied my affiction.

The e-mail addy of the seller is: tonymontanahabanos@hotmail.com
Today passed me his new cell-no: 15-6118 8992, call or mail to check-up.

Judd
05-23-06, 05:05
I wanted to bring back some Cuban cigars for a client of mine. Isn't is still illegal to bring them into the states? I've heard they will allow you bring a few back. What's the magic number? I'll be clearing customs at the Dallas / Ft Worth Airport.

Thanks,

Judd

Hunt99
05-23-06, 09:21
Bringing any amount back is illegal. In practice, I have brought back a box once or twice, more for the "show-off" value than for any real quality. I always declared "cigars" on my customs form and never was searched or hassled.

Shop carefully. There are a lot of fakes, and also I have found that the quality of "Cuban" cigars is often inferior to the quality of good cigars from the Dominican or Nicaragua.

Lowlight
05-23-06, 11:28
I have bought Cohibas in the duty free shop and I put them in my pocket and did not get hassled at customs. Something else I did with some cubans I bought was to slide their tags off and wrap them up. No way anyone can say if they are cuban or not. A great place to buy is a half block form Plaza de Mayo. When I see you durng the week I will tell you more.

Lochdhu
05-23-06, 12:57
[QUOTE=Lowlight]I have bought Cohibas in the duty free shop and I put them in my pocket and did not get hassled at customs. Something else I did with some cubans I bought was to slide their tags off and wrap them up.QUOTE]I do the same, but I normally bring back 2 boxes, one for me, and one for a cigar store owner here, carefully take off all the labels, remove them from the box, wrap in plastic, customs always hassles me, but I just tell them they are dominican cigars. It also helps to know your cigars, as there are many Fake Habanos out there, I didn't spot any fakes on this trip, but I have seen them all over cali colombia. Best prices for Habanos was out in San Isidro, I forget the name of the shop, but the prices were good, and I didnt see any Falsos.