01-01-05, 02:00
List - Downtown Rental Car Agencies

Victory Rent a Car
Paraguay 938 in Capital Federal.
5217-2277 / 5217-2278 / 15-4539-4088
victory_rentacar@hotmail. Com

Gandolf50
07-03-05, 21:55
Does any one have any information on reasonably priced rental cars? The airport gouges you! I was using Top Renta Car in Recoletea, but they seem to have gone out of business.

El Aleman
07-04-05, 06:26
2 years ago, I was using Localiza, who seems to be one of the largest South American rental companies. This was arranged by Mayra, and everything worked well - especially, when I had some trouble with the car (cooling water hose broke) they came along with a replacement in a few minutes.

I found prices "reasonable", but I am European, and prices here always have been higher than in the States - so what I consider reasonable still may feel high to an American.

Anyway, renting a car only makes sense if you want to go out of BA, either on a trip, or as it was in my case, on a dayly basis. Within the city it is hard to spend as much on taxies as a car costs. And Dickheads know to travel even cheaper.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

El Centro
07-04-05, 15:25
Does any one have any information on reasonably priced rental cars? The airport gouges you! I was using Top Renta Car in Recoletea, but they seem to have gone out of business.I have used Utility - Rent a Car for the last 2 years or so. Price for a pretty new Renault Megane - 2ltr Sport = AR$3000 per month on a long term hire, inclusive of full insurance.

I'm not sure if this is cheap by local car hire standards here or not (my company picks up the tab anyway)

I guess that you should be able to pick up a car similar to this for a little more than AR$100 per day or so, probably considerably less if you were to go for something a little smaller.

All in all, as has been recommended by other regular posters, if you can avoid driving down here then so much the better though. Taxis are cheap and plentiful, and AR$3000 can buy you a lot of running around over a month.

But if on the other hand you absolutely just have to hire one for whatever reason then I feel comfortable recommending this company, they have given me no problems at all during my period with them.

Hope this info helps you out some.

Suerte.

EC.

Utility Rent a Car.

Av. Brasil 2644, Capital Federal.

011 4942-5055

info@utility. Com. Ar

Gandolf50
07-04-05, 20:40
Thanks for the info. Hertz charges (at the airport) about $500US a week plus you need to put up a $1500 deposit (Credit Card OK) and thats for a Uno! Your right, in the city the taxi & trains are great, but my place is a little ways out and I am always needing to hit the hardware store / Easy / etc. Not to mention going out at night! I really need to buy a car and leave it there but I always end up using the money on other things!

El Aleman
07-05-05, 06:11
Gandolf:

Check www.localiza.com.ar.

A compact like a Ford Focus or GM Astra is A$R 70,- a day, but WITHOUT miles, they go extra. And for a week you pay 5 days.

Buying a car might not be that easy, you probably need all sort of residential bullshit, like for opening a bank acount.

If you pm me what you are doing in BA, I can give you some info about what I did and how.

Have fun,

El Alemán

Thomaso276
08-04-06, 10:27
I just used New Way Car Rental, Marcelo T. 773, 4515-0331 / 04332 for a trip to Pinamar.

www.new-wayrentacar.com / newwayrentacar@hotmail. Com

2006 VW Gol, unlimited mileage, insurance and taxes included for 150 pesos a day (three day rental) I had priced others and Hertz / Alamo were way out of line. The key for me was unlimited miles. Limiting daily miles seems to be the industry standard here. They held a voucher for my credit card but never charged anything.

Very happy with the company. I had heard some horror stories about ripoff inspections when the car is returned. Although you inspect the car with a rep before leaving, it is done in a relatively dark garage. When you return it the inspection is done on a bright sunny street! They had marked on the form the tiniest little chips and scratches when I took control of the car. When I turned it in they signed off without any bullshit.

I was ready to ask if there was a small chip in the paint and they wanted to charge me, how come the other chips were never fixed if people had to pay for the scratch?

Anyhow it worked out well and I highly recommend them.

Jackson
03-01-08, 20:21
Greetings everyone,

I recently rented a car for my a two week trip to the beach. Before renting, I compared rates with several car rental agencies (listed below) all at downtown locations and all for a comparable car.

For the 3rd year in a row, Thrifty Rent a Car in La Recova beat out the other agencies by approximately 20%. I don't know why, but they've been consistent winners for three years in a row now, and I was 100% satisfied with their service.

Thrifty Car Rental
Carlos Pellegrini 1576
La Recova de Posadas.
0810-999-8500

The other agencies I checked with in person were.

Budget Rent A Car - San Martin 1225
Dollar Rent A Car - MT Alevar 449
Localiza Rent A Car - Cerrito 1080
Dietrich Rent a Car - also in La Recova.

Budget and Dollar were approximately 20-30% higher.

Localiza and Dietrich (the Argentina companies) were approximately 50% higher.

Hertz and Avis have been off the charts the past two years, so I didn't bother to check them out this year.

Thanks,

Jackson

RobBarone
06-07-08, 17:09
Hi guys

Any idea where yo rent a decent car (not a crappy one) in BA?

I don't to sell my kiddney but I need to go to Mar del plata. Thnx

Dickhead
06-07-08, 18:43
Hop on the bus, Gus. Or take the train.

BA Luvr
06-07-08, 19:17
Besides Sydney's advice, be sure to check the car for any dents or scratches. They will charge you big time when you return the car.

Dickhead
06-07-08, 19:29
BA Luvr gives good advice (although my advice is even better!) and in fact, I would take some photos. Get the rental agent in the photos for further proof.

Sinistra
06-07-08, 19:41
I rent cars often and it's usually from Sixt or Thrifty. Both are near the corner of Carlos Pellegrini and Libertador.

I usually go with Thrifty because they offer Peugeots and Sixt offers Fords and the former are nicer to drive. The Fords suck. Thrifty also has a discount when you use American Express, which is nice. With the discount it's about 160 pesos a day for a 206.

BUT. Sixt has unlimited miles, so when I need to go a long way away, I rent from them.

Jackson
06-08-08, 16:25
Besides Sydney's advice, be sure to check the car for any dents or scratches. They will charge you big time when you return the car.Hi,

I would emphasis this point. A week after I returned my February rental, Thrifty charged my credit card for an additional $150 USD for a missing spare tire.

Frankly, I have no idea if the car had a spare tire when I picked it up, although I do know that the car was always locked and there were no suspicious "incidences" while it was in my possession.

Of course I was present when the agent inspected the car at check in, and she didn't bother to look in the spare tire well, and neither did I. My point is that they "accepted" the car at that time, which to me ends my liability.

Anyway, the entire "mysteriously missing spare tire" incident impressed me as having all the earmarks of a typical Argentine employee scam, so I contested the credit card charge. Nevertheless, you can bet that I will now be examining the spare tire well of every car I rent in BA.

Thanks,

Jackson

Sinistra
06-08-08, 16:37
Hi, I would emphasis this point. A week after I returned my February rental, Thrifty charged my credit card for an additional $150 USD for a missing spare tire.Interesting. I have to say, though, that I've rented from them some twenty or thirty times over the last 18 months without incident. Several times I've returned it with less gas than what I left with and even a couple more scratches. They've never said a word. Generally I've found them to be nicer than what I would have expected. *shrug*

==================================================

I would imagine that is because the rental agency's employees can't make any money by stealing and reselling "a couple more scratches" or a gas tank with "less gas than what I left".

OTOH, a spare tire...

Thanks,

Jackson

Hawaii
06-09-08, 16:00
I've rented from Dietrich several times, no problems and they are not expensive.

Member #3320
10-25-08, 10:06
I do not have much experience with car rentals.

Can anyone explain me in detail, the car rental scene in Buenos Aires.

Are the deals better if renting for 2-3 months or is it irrespective of the duration of the rent and just the daily rate is applicable?

eg In some Asian cities, you can rent a decent small sized car for 300~400 usd a month, but its usually via small companies in long term rentals. Does anyone have clue about this in BA? Maybe some local in distress willing to rent out his car, etc etc

Do rental cars often break down? If yes, how to get it adjusted?

If the rented car does get a dent, would it be prudent get it fixed before returning the car? If yes, please elaborate on it.

Thanks in advance.

P. S: I know most mongers on short visits are against the idea of car rentals, but I am personally quite intrigued by the idea and want to try it out in my next visit if the price is reasonable.

Capn Rick
11-20-08, 22:38
Does anyone know where I can rent a van. in BsAs or Mar Del? I have a large item. 6 feet long, 4 feet high and 350 pounds.

Cannot be crated. Any ideas, guys? I'm getting desperate 'cause I need it here (MarDel) by 27Nov. H-E-L-P!

Suerte

Aqualung
11-21-08, 01:01
Does anyone know where I can rent a van. In BsAs or Mar Del? I have a large item. 6 feet long, 4 feet high and 350 pounds.

Cannot be crated. Any ideas, guys? I'm getting desperate 'cause I need it here (MarDel) by 27Nov. H-E-L-P!

SuerteThere are not many companies that rent vans or trucks in BA - Try this one:

http://www.paginasamarillas.com.ar/externalUrl.jsp?url=HTTP://WWW.CENTRALRENTACAR.COM.AR&id=410155509948153

And if you just want a van that you don't need to drive yourself try this one.

http://www.fletesya.com.ar/

Gandolf50
11-24-08, 17:10
I rented a pickup once in Pilar and I remember they had vans. It was across the street from the big shopping center on route 8 (Jumbo / Easy / Nextel etc.) Good luck!

Jackson
12-13-08, 14:52
Hi Capn Rick,

Your report on importing vehicles was excellent. In fact, it was so good that I moved it to the thread titled "Importing a vehicle into Argentina" specifically established for this subject.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924

Thanks,

Jackson

Master J
02-24-09, 01:57
I am heading there next week and was considering renting a car for part of my trip. I have an on again off again who lives south of BA and I have taken the trip by cab quite a few times. This way I thought it might give us a little more time together. Plus I am staying in Puerto Madero and I like to frequent some of the Belgrano scenes. I am en ex NY city guy so I am trained well.

My question is in the 12 times I have traveled to EZER I still don't have the slightest clue of how to get on to the Autopista? I can only imagine asking for directions if I am going the wrong way and how about carjacks? I am going to the barrios!

On the positive it gives me more freedom to explore various parts of the city and I can move around at will. Cabs have gotten more expensive.

I emailed New way and I think I am good to go?

Any thoughts if anyone has had any experience and an information regarding.

Thank you Jackson as always for having this forum available for our many needs!

Aqualung
02-24-09, 03:10
I am heading there next week and was considering renting a car for part of my trip. I have an on again off again who lives south of BA and I have taken the trip by cab quite a few times. This way I thought it might give us a little more time together. Plus I am staying in Puerto Madero and I like to frequent some of the Belgrano scenes. I am en ex NY city guy so I am trained well.

My question is in the 12 times I have traveled to EZER I still don't have the slightest clue of how to get on to the Autopista? I can only imagine asking for directions if I am going the wrong way and how about carjacks? I am going to the barrios!

On the positive it gives me more freedom to explore various parts of the city and I can move around at will. Cabs have gotten more expensive.

I emailed New way and I think I am good to go?

Any thoughts if anyone has had any experience and an information regarding.

Thank you Jackson as always for having this forum available for our many needs!Depends a lot on where you have to go to. The Autopista La Plata is damn easy to connect from Puerto Madero. It starts where Pto Madero ends! The Autopista to EZE is reasonably easy. You just go up Independencia Avenue from Pto Madero and turn left on 9 de Julio and you'll stumble on the Autopista.

As to security, also, once again, depends on what neighbouring towns you go to. Some are fine, others OK and some really dangerous!

The biggest pain in the ass is to find where to park in BA!

Daddy Rulz
02-24-09, 13:51
The biggest pain in the ass is to find where to park in BA!The blue "E" in BsAs isn't Kenny boys old company but rather a parking lot. I would of course defer to WB (Welsh Bastard who is not old) in ALL things, that being said you're a braver man than I if you choose to rent a car in BsAs. I've driven there and it's crazy, get all the insurance available and rent from a major not some fly by night crew. If you can get the "I'm ok if I return nothing but the steering wheel" insurance. Get it.

ComeOnDown
02-24-09, 14:57
The biggest pain in the ass is to find where to park in BA!True, with the implementation of the "no parking in the street" rule in most areas in Recoleta and Barrio Norte, parking is literally a pain in the ass because I end up taking the colectivo instead of using my car. We all know how a pain it is in the ass to take those rush hour trips in those colectivos since their seats are uncushioned.

Moore
12-05-09, 02:21
The information on this thread is very useful. I'll be renting a car for about 3 days during an upcoming trip. Does anyone have recent experience to post?

Thanks

BA Luvr
12-06-09, 02:28
I rented a car in Bariloche once. Be very careful to inspect the car when you pick it up and have them record every little scratch and dent. They are MUCH more picky than in the States.

Sexbobber
05-08-14, 10:55
I rented a car in Bariloche once. Be very careful to inspect the car when you pick it up and have them record every little scratch and dent. They are MUCH more picky than in the States.I always go around the car with a video camera.