PDA

View Full Version : Gyms and Health Clubs

Jackson
01-01-05, 02:00
Thread Starter.

Thomaso276
08-13-05, 11:13
Neos Gym is on opposite corner of Madaho's as you walk towards Las Heras. Daily and weekly rate. Machines, weights, cardio stuff. I was a member but switched last year so I cannot tell you the daily rate. (Monthly was about 80 pesos)

Meglatron is on Arenales, three blocks from Callao, near Junin. Three stories, group classes, weights, machines, lots of cardio stuff, first class and new. 90 pesos monthly when I joined 6 months ago. I am not sure what daily cost is.

Both have clean lockerooms, showers. I recommend Meglatron. Even when crowded there are no long wait times because of the space and extra equipment.

Neos can get very crowded in afternoon and early evening.

Good luck.

Hobby Fan
08-14-05, 22:43
There are gyms all over town, it is doubtful that you will have to walk more than a few blocks from your hotel or apartment. Ask for weekly and half-month and month rates, and figure what is best for you. Megathlon (mentioned by Thomaso, someone confirm spelling please) is great, as he reports.

Thomaso276
08-15-05, 12:02
Just checked my card: Meglaton. Also at: www.megatlon.com

Yujin
08-15-05, 22:52
Here's a website for gyms and health clubs in and around Recoleta.

http://www.todoslosgimnasios.com.ar/gimnasios/recoleta.htm

I also recall walking by a YMCA with a gym several blocks away from Cafe Orleans.

If you find a good gym, be sure to post with all the details. At my advance age, I need to work out or else I turn into "flubber."

Easy Go
08-16-05, 17:37
http://www.wellclub.org/home2.htm

$AR75 for a single. I checked out the Megathlon in Alto Palermo Shopping and while I thought it was nicer, they wanted $AR150 for a single month.

I used Neos last time and agree with the comments posted. I always went outside the busy hours because it was so crowded. I'm in Palermo this trip or I'd be using Neos again.

Clubs in BA are definitely downscale from clubs in the you. S. Much smaller with older and more limited equipment.

Rock Harders
03-19-06, 16:12
I got a long term membership plan here back starting in August 05, cost $90AR per month. There is a pool, aerobic room, masajes, and a center of aesthetics, none of which I have utilized. La salon de musculacion, the weight room, is the only thing I use her, Monday-Friday. A fairly good sized weight room, has a high ceiling with a surrounding second floor catwalk where there are treadmills and exercise bikes that look down on it. The machines are not too old, they have 3 flat barbell bench press, 2 incline bench, 2 smith machines, 2 preacher curl, 3 lat pulldown and two different kind of leg press machines. Also there are 3 racks for doing squats, deadlifts, bentover rows, shrugs, etc.

My complains about this place is that there is no air conditioning (Megatlon on Arenales has it) and that the setup is not designed for a person of my weightlifting capabilities / preferences. For example, the flat barbell bench press rack has the resting pins (where you put the bar when you are not pressing it) that are much too narrow for my wingspan, which makes it a pain in the ass to grip the bar where I need to, which takes a toll when going very heavy. Also, the preacher curl resting pins are too narrow, and the thing is not bolted down so it slides while I am curling unless I weigh it down with at least 80 kilos.

Another complaint is that there are not very many really beautiful women that go to this place- there are some- and there are a ton of fags that go there also. The trainers in this place look like they haven't lifted a weight in their entire lives.

Overall, this is a decent gym, I actually prefer it to Megatlon Recoleta because the weightroom there is too small IMO and the machines are very close together, which cramps my style.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
03-19-06, 17:27
Which block of Arenales is Megation? I just moved to Arenales, entre Rodriguez Pena why Montevideo. This location might be made to order for me.

Thanks.

The dog

Rock Harders
03-19-06, 20:39
Mongers-

Megatlon Recoleta is located on Arenales between Riobamba and Callao, if I remember correctly. If not it is within a half block of those coordinates. Moore, if you really want to know my training regime, you can PM me and ask.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Hunt99
03-28-06, 14:27
Then of course there's Marak5, who works out and works out and works out but still can't seem to bulk up.

Billy 32
04-04-06, 21:08
I checked out a couple of gyms today. Megatlon on Rodriguez Pena near Santa Fe is 140 Pesos per month. Hours are 8AM until 10PM. I don't know why, but from their website I get the impression the weight room was open 24 hours Monday through Friday. That I was wrong is not surprising, my Spanish comprehension leaves a bit to be desired. The weight room was nice, a good selection of free weights and machines. Looked modern enough for me.

The other gym was Olimpia on Esmerelda 1000 block. Not too great compared to Megatlon but not too bad either. Small weight room sandwiched in with some cardio equipment. Mostly free weight with a few machines. Not as modern as Megatlon. 70 Pesos per month, hours are 700AM until 10PM.

Thomaso276
04-04-06, 21:31
Billy32, check your PM's.

Dickhead
04-04-06, 21:59
In between those two in price and quality is Well Club, which has about five branches in Recoleta and Barrio Norte, including one on Rod Pena between Santa Fe and Arenales. Last price I knew of, as of January, was 75p per month. Lots of good looking gals working there and not all those fags you find at Megatlon.

Rock Harders
04-05-06, 04:56
Mongers-

I will be re-joing Megatlon on Thursday, April 6, so I will be able to give an updated report on prices, hours, quality of girl, amount of fags, etc. I expect to be quoted the same, $90 AR monthly rate that I paid previously, but I will will post any changes.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Billy 32
04-05-06, 22:07
Just got back from Meglaton in Recoleta. Nice gym, modern equipment. The price I was quoted was 180 Pesos on a month to month basis. 3 months for 400 Pesos. I am supposed to be here for three months but am not sure so I will probably go for a month to month, but 180 sounds mighty steep. Maybe others will have better luck with the prices as I was not shown a price sheet, they may have just pulled a number out of their asses. Later

Stormy
04-05-06, 23:56
180 on a monthly basis does sound steep. They quoted me the 400 for three months or 150 a month on a month to month basis in January -March of this year. I took the 400 deal as I was in BA for nearly 3 months. I think the prices and offers change about weekly. It would be interesting to see what the charge would be with a local spanish speaking person doing the calling or inquiry.

Rock Harders
04-06-06, 19:19
Monger-Weightlifters-

I just returned from Megatlon (on Rodriguez Pena) where I renewed my membership for the price of $75 AR per month, totalling $450 AR for six months. I don't know if I got the "Dirk Diggler" or musclehead / spanish speaker discount or something, but it looks like you boys got RIPPED OFF.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Dickhead
04-06-06, 23:24
Well Club also has cheaper prices if you sign up for six months. I think 60 p per month, but you also have to agree to automatic debit to a credit or debit card.

Thomaso276
04-06-06, 23:58
Billy,

You got a bad price. Complain, it should be around 100 monthly. Send in a cute Chica as your price checker!

Rock Harders
04-10-06, 20:59
Mongers-

They have actually fixed some of the broken / malfunctioning equipment in here, but the electricity still goes out from time to time, which means you have to walk up / down several flights of stairs. Also, now I noticed there are always groups of rugby players in there, all they do are retarted leg exercises, which they do not even do correctly. The same front desk employees and "profesores de musculacion" as usual. The place is still filled with a disproportionate fag / hot chick ratio, which obviously sucks.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Judd
04-23-06, 15:31
Can you get ephedra based weight loss products in BA? The ephedra ban has been temporarily lifted in the states. However, I'm in Cali, and companies cannot deliver the product to the Govenator's state.

Late,

Judd

Rock Harders
04-23-06, 18:21
Judd,

In general, the nutritional supplement market in Argentina is in its infancy and is very underdeveloped. The products that are available are also almost always inferior to those that can be purchased in the United States. About two thirds of the products are manufactured in Brasil with the remaining coming from the USA. The products that are imported from the USA are almost triple the price of what they would be in the USA, and only inferior products are in fact imported, so it sucks all around. Protein powder (generally low quality) protein bars (some decent) creatine (havent tried it) thermogenics (weight loss pills, ephedra based, etc, also havent tried these) and vitamins are all available. Although I have not inspected the label of the thermogenics because I do not use those products, I would bet my bottom dollar that they include some form of ephedra / ephedrine / ma huang, since this is the cheapest, most readily available, and some say most effective metabolism stimulant available. ANYWAY, I buy the protein bars here but I have my protein powder brought in from the USA every month.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Judd
04-24-06, 01:28
That's good to know info. I haven't used any supplements for the past 5 years other than protein powders and the weight loss stuff. I've been working out fairly consistently for the past year but have a hard time losing the body fat. Mainly because I'm not disciplined enough to lay off the fatty foods. Back in 2000, I was in the best shape of my life when I used Hydroxycut with ephedra. I didn't change my diet but the fat just melted away. Nothing I've used since has had any positive effect.

I guess the answer is really to become more disciplined with my caloric intake. It's really motivating when you can get results in a relatively short time frame by using the ephedra based products.

Thanks again,

Judd

Thomaso276
04-24-06, 11:11
As well, I think Argentine regulations prohibit excessive amounts of daily minimum requirements. For example, Animal Pak from Universal has a factory here but ingredients are only up to 100%. Same stuff in USA has 500 -1000% on some ingredients.

Bairespirata
07-08-06, 11:42
I go to Narziso in Palermo at Plaza salguero. I prepaid for a year and the price was 45 pesos per months. Average quality on the machines. But they have many instructurs that will give you very good attention when requested. Besides this, there are many hot Palermo girls, that seems to be from middle-upper class.

My friend goes to Sports Club which have the advantage that you can use the same membership on it's many different locations in town.

Rock Harders
09-12-06, 06:19
Mongers-

I am happy to report that I found a new supplement store named Gym Home located on Marcelo T. De Alvear between Talchuano and Libertad in Barrio Norte. They had a decent selection of Whey Proteins, Creatines, Amino Acids, Weight Gainers, Vitamins, and Fat Burners. In addition they sell gym equipment and other sporting goods (boxing gloves, basketballs, etc) If you are expecting GNC in the USA you will be heavily disappointed, but I would rate this place better than any Megatlon gym or Fitness Show (corner Santa Fe and Luis Maria Campos in Palermo) for buying supplements.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Jackpot
09-15-06, 20:49
Check out the Vitacost. Com for some of the best prices for Animal Packs.

Suggest you order & have items shipped to your US address. The next return trip bring your vites and save a bunch.

Jackpot

Noodleman
09-16-06, 02:02
Where is the best gym to find the ladies?

Rockin Bob
10-23-06, 17:31
For anybody who lives out in the Belgrano area I would recommend the Cuba Club, on Cuba near Congreso. Good people, nice selection of equipment (though I'm not a big power lifter, maybe you shouldn't take my word for it) and a lot cheaper than the gyms in Recoleta.

Hefe
10-24-06, 00:01
There is a nice gym and pool at the Sheraton. If the weather is ok, the girls shows up in their bikinis.

BadMan
10-25-06, 21:36
I just signed up today to a gym about 5 minutes away from my house. The gym is in Las Canitas. It is a small gym, they have free weights, machines in one room, cardio equipment in another, and upstairs they have classes for pilates, boxing, yoga and all other kinds of stuff. The membership included all the classes. It is a no frills type gym, but it has all the stuff you will really need. It's open from 7:30 am until 10:30 pm. I liked it because they have a set pricing. I went in thinking they might give me the tourist price, but they showed me their flyer with all the prices printed on there. The only thing the gym lacks, which I have used in the past are the the saunas and swimming pool, but for someone who is mainly interested in doing an hour or two of cardio and free weights a day and having the option of free classes in all kinds of stuff, its a good place. The prices are as follows. $60 AR a month, $150 AR for 3 months and $250 AR for 6 months. I could have probably gone and paid more at another gym but this one is about a 5 minute walk from my house and it has everything I need. Plus, I saw some hotties in there, and the lady at the front desk was a real looker too.

Number is 4773-1837

Easy Go
10-30-06, 21:27
Neo's closed since my last trip so I was out checking gyms in the Recoleta area today. Megatlon wanted $AR80/ week or $AR200 for a month and is a bit far from my apartment at Guido & Pueyrredon so it was not very attractive. I looked at three others: Bull's Gym (French y Azcuenaga) Akros (Juncal y Junin) and Full Energy (Las Heras y Azcuenaga) All three are small clubs with just the basics. None have much in the way of modern aerobics equipment compared to Megatlon but the cost is $AR40-60/ month.

Bull's has yoga and Pilates and Full Energy is much closer than either to my apartment.

I ended up joining Akros for $AR55 because my personal trainer at Neo's suggested we use it and the walk will do me good.

Spirit Rider
10-31-06, 14:07
It is near Scalabrini Ortiz in Palermo. It is a decent club with a fair amount of equipment. It was 70 pesos. For two weeks. Megatlon at Alto Palermo wanted 200 pesos.

There are maybe six treadmills, four bikes, and four elypticals (that are pretty flimsy) There are about at least a dozen strength training machines and decent amount of free weights.

Enough to keep the half a cow in your colon from migrating to your gut.

Mercboy
11-11-06, 04:20
Anyone know a gym in Recoleta with decent personal trainers?

Mahku
11-12-06, 14:01
I went to Gimnasio Leiton on Maipu. It cost 12 pesos for a one time visit. It's on 3 floors, reception on the first, aerobics room on the second, with weights and cardio machines on the top floor.

One of the trainers here spoke English very well. He was very helpful when needed but got out of my way when he saw that I knew what I was doing.

It was early Saturday evening and there weren't many others there. There were a couple of lookers, one of whom had a wedding ring and another that left soon after I started.

The equipment is adequate. Some of the machines need some maitenance or should just be junked altogether. But between the machines and free weights you can get a fairly complete workout.

From the Mansion where I'm staying just walk down Haedo toward Maipu. This will take about 10 minutes. Then turn right on Maipu and walk another 10 minutes or so. The gym will be on the right.

There may be better gyms around but this one was adequate and didn't cost much.

Hemin
11-13-06, 10:53
There is a very good one in Montevideo (just corner with Vicente Lopez square) the place is upscale and has very good facilities. The trainers are good and dedicated. The monthly fee for the gym is 120 (all days) and the trainers must be about 35 per hours.

SexMachine
03-10-07, 15:10
Hi Guys.

I am coming to BA for a month and staying near Esmeralda and Lavalle.

Does anybody know of a gym within the walking distance?

I would prefer one with the swimming pool.

Thanks.

SM

Stormy
03-10-07, 19:01
Le Parc is at 645 St. Martin. It has a pool as well as the standard machines.

SexMachine
03-11-07, 03:21
Thanks for that info.

Any idea about the monthly pricing.

Do they have the standard rates or gringo prices.

Thanks.

SM

Hound
03-11-07, 13:23
Standard rates about 130p / month. Busy from 1-3pm and then again after work hours. Best time is from 9-12:30.

Fretta
03-12-07, 20:07
Le Parc is at 645 St. Martin. It has a pool as well as the standard machines.Last time I was in town I got a monthly membership to Le Parc and I thought it kind of sucked. It was large, but it was often mobbed and the free weights were a bit on the lousy side. Besides, the whole place just seemed a little grungy. I was in the San Martin Park area, so I think it was the best place that was close. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Thomaso276
03-13-07, 10:02
Meglaton at Riobamba and Areneles is only a 15 minute walk from the Plaza. Very upscale and clean. But as with all gyms here, going at 7 or 8pm means there will be a crowd.

Fretta
03-13-07, 10:14
Meglaton at Riobamba and Areneles is only a 15 minute walk from the Plaza. Very upscale and clean. But as with all gyms here, going at 7 or 8pm means there will be a crowd.Yeah, I really like that gym, but I find a certain PITA factor in crossing Avenida 9 de Julio, so I'd rather not go that way. Is anyone familiar with olimpia cancilleria? It bills itself as a squash and racket club, but it also has weights and the like.

Daddy Rulz
03-13-07, 12:33
Yeah, I really like that gym, but I find a certain PITA factor in crossing Avenida 9 de Julio, so I'd rather not go that way. Is anyone familiar with olimpia cancilleria? It bills itself as a squash and racket club, but it also has weights and the like.What is a PITA factor.

Put It in a Tight Ass?

Pussy Is Tempting Always?

Fretta
03-13-07, 12:42
What is a PITA factor.

Put It in a Tight Ass?

Pussy Is Tempting Always?Close! PITA (acronym) Pain in the ass. Example: She's a great lay, but then there's the PITA factor.

Daddy Rulz
03-13-07, 13:48
Close! PITA (acronym) Pain in the ass. Example: She's a great lay, but then there's the PITA factor.Funny how your definition and my first one are close.

If you find crossing 9 July a PITA and are close to Ave. De Mayo here is a little trick figured out by us public transit users. Enter the supte station on either side and then follow the signs to transfer to either the A or C line. A to C if your going from Cerito to Pelegrini or the reverse Peligrini to Cerito. It's a great way to cross the street when it's raining. In the rain the tunnle floods so your shoes get wet but they would have outside anyway.

Easy Go
04-23-07, 20:53
There is a very good one in Montevideo (just corner with Vicente Lopez square) the place is upscale and has very good facilities. The trainers are good and dedicated. The monthly fee for the gym is 120 (all days) and the trainers must be about 35 per hours.This is Deporte Total which I happened to visit today. Price is unchanged with other plans at 100 (8 visits per month) and 110 (12 visits per month)

The one kicker is that you need a medical certificate for $50. They have an on-site doctor that does them on Monday mornings. She said it was a requirement for all health clubs but it's the first time I've heard of it and I've belonged to 5 or 6 clubs in the last couple of years. Either it's a new requirement or most clubs ignore it (shocking!

Or you can buy a day pass at the Park Hyatt ($250) or Alvear Palace ($350 including a 1 hour massage) Which doesn't really seem very practical approach for most of us.

Rock Harders
04-23-07, 23:42
Mongers-

A few weeks ago I renewed my Megatlon membership for another year to the tune of $85 AR per month. The rates are very screwy at these places, several people have told me they were quoted $300 AR for a one month membership at the Alto Palermo branch. I think negociating with these gyms is like negociating with chicas in that if they know you speak spanish, live here full time and know the score, they will not try to fuck you over as much. An important clue when joining Megatlon: the only way to get the best rate is to use a credit card, if you pay cash the rates are much higher for reasons that I am unaware of.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Redondo
06-04-07, 12:45
Can somebody recommend me a good female masajist. A normal girl / woman and not a hooker.

I prefer if she can come to my home or she is located near Microcentro, Puerto Madero.

Bairespirata
06-06-07, 22:42
Her name is Sandra and is bilingual and has excellent references.

BadMan
08-20-07, 19:58
Since moving, I had to find a new gym. I tried out the Megatlon at Alto Palermo which is pretty close to my house, but their pricing was pretty off. I was quoted 240 a month without a contract and 140 a month with a contract, I was about to sign up for a 6 month membership when I found a great gym about 2 blocks from my house on Coronel Diaz, which is called Well CLUB. They have 6 locations all in Palermo, Barrio Norte and Recoleta, with swimming pools, wet and dry saunas, solariums. All their machines are brand new and comparable with megathlon's machines. The price was somewhat less as well. I was quoted 120 a month without a contract and 90 a month for a 6 month contract, so I signed up.

Same equipment as megatlon, but at megatlon I pay 300 US for a 6 month contract and here I pay 200.

Here's the website.

http://www.wellclub.org/

Bad

AllIWantIsLove
08-21-07, 01:39
Are you sure they all have a pool? From the web site it looked to me like only the Arenales location has one.

Bob

BadMan
08-21-07, 02:35
The location I use does not have a swimming pool, but I was told others do. I usually swim at home, so I am not going to drive to another location just to swim, but I have the option if I wanted to. But if you have any questions, you might want to call them directly. I have only been to one location so far.

Bad

Hobby Fan
09-17-07, 18:08
My gym now has signs all over it that say that after 9-30-07 they won't let anyone use the gym until they have a medical certificate on file. Easy Go's April 2007 post noted this legal requirement, and that it was being widely ignored.

Does anyone know if there is an exception for non-residents, or short term visitors? For example, it seems unlikely that all hotels are supposed to require you to get a medical clearance for a one hour one time use of their gym.

Assuming it really is needed: Does anyone know where to go to get this certificate without waiting in some clinic half the day? My gym is small and does not have a doctor lined up. I have my doubts as to whether Easy Go's gym doctor (there Monday mornings) will see non-members.

Thomaso276
12-29-07, 11:33
Megatlon is getting ready for some heavy price increases after upgrading Rod Pena and Alto Palermo. I was quoted 1500 pesos (cash) for the year. Last year it was 1100. The year before around 900.

I am not sure if it (1500) included Alto Palermo which the guy said was now a different category from the Platinum membership. It is considered Superior. Someone I know went there last night and was told the price to include Alto Palermo in the network it was 1800 pesos for the year. I asked about Arenales only, as I do not use the other locations and the fucker said it was more to go to only one place. You can never get a straight answer out of these guys and I think each location has different pricing.

Although I have been a member for 3 years I have had enuff of these 20-40% jumps. I will be looking for a new gym closer to home.

My question is for all you guys in the USA, what is the average monthly cost for your local gym?

Thanks.

Hound
12-29-07, 12:57
Nearby your residence is La Parc. Monthly priced at 165p--that's month to month. Pretty steep. On a yearly contract I was quoted 99p / month.

BadMan
12-29-07, 13:38
You should check out wellclub, they have 6 locations in the Palermo / Barrio Norte area. I pay $200 US for 6 months, but I think if you pay a year in advance, you will only pay around $350 US.

Thomaso276
12-29-07, 15:41
Went around today for some info:

Megatlon has a tiered price structure depending on what locations you want:

Reconquista, nice, pool, 4 floors, closes at 10, 5 on Sat for 110 a month (1320 Yearly) Locker is 240 a year you get all locations except Arenales and Alto Palermo, Total: 1560. 6 blocks from my home.

Arenales, no pool, includes all locations except Alto Palermo, I rent a locker for about 330 yearly, renew in Feb. For 1550 pesos, plus locker, total about 1900 pesos about 13 blocks from my home.

Include Alto Palermo: 1800 pesos plus locker at Arenales, total over 2100 pesos.

Bad: I went by Wellclub on Rod Pena yesterday, it is a little small and old. Free weights room is tiny. I cannot go out to Palermo as it is too far. FYI, I have been to the Megatlon in Alto Palermo once in three years. Thanks for the heads up but location is not good for me.

Sportclub: Sportclub.com.ar Diagonal Norte and Florida, 9 blocks from my home. Nice new gym, two floors, no pool at this location but others in their network, closest one at 2060 Paraguay. Hours at this place until 10 pm, 3pm on Saturday. One year 1045 pesos, locker about pesos for one year, total: 1250. I was told lots of secretaries during lunchtime and after work!

Sportclub: 300 pesos less than local Megatlon, almost 900 pesos less than the superior membership of Megatlon.

I will check out LaParc Monday. But I have decided enough is enough with price increases and will be changing soon.

BadMan
12-29-07, 16:08
Hey Thomaso,

I have a question for you. If I get membership at the Alto Palermo Megatlon, does that include free parking?

Went around today for some info:

Megatlon has a tiered price structure depending on what locations you want:

Reconquista, nice, pool, 4 floors, closes at 10, 5 on Sat for 110 a month (1320 Yearly) Locker is 240 a year you get all locations except Arenales and Alto Palermo, Total: 1560. 6 blocks from my home.

Arenales, no pool, includes all locations except Alto Palermo, I rent a locker for about 330 yearly, renew in Feb. For 1550 pesos, plus locker, total about 1900 pesos about 13 blocks from my home.

Include Alto Palermo: 1800 pesos plus locker at Arenales, total over 2100 pesos.

Bad: I went by Wellclub on Rod Pena yesterday, it is a little small and old. Free weights room is tiny. I cannot go out to Palermo as it is too far. FYI, I have been to the Megatlon in Alto Palermo once in three years. Thanks for the heads up but location is not good for me.

Sportclub: Sportclub. Com. Ar Diagonal Norte and Florida, 9 blocks from my home. Nice new gym, two floors, no pool at this location but others in their network, closest one at 2060 Paraguay. Hours at this place until 10 pm, 3pm on Saturday. One year 1045 pesos, locker about pesos for one year, total: 1250. I was told lots of secretaries during lunchtime and after work!

Sportclub: 300 pesos less than local Megatlon, almost 900 pesos less than the superior membership of Megatlon.

I will check out LaParc Monday. But I have decided enough is enough with price increases and will be changing soon.

Rock Harders
12-29-07, 21:20
Mongers,

I too have been put off by the recent shake-ups in the pricing / equipment at Megatlon. I go to Megatlon Rodriguez Pena and they recently installed all new equipment in the weightroom. This new equipment is total and complete shit; there are less machines and freeweights (the machines now have LESS weight in their stacks) now there are not all the machines I need to get a proper workout. For example, they replaced the three decent bench presses with two competlely useless bench presses that are almost impossible to find balance on. I am paid up until April but I will not be re-upping my membership if I can find something better. I was recently in Medellin, Colombia and there I went to a network of gyms called BodyTech (they also exist in Rio de Janeiro) that was on par with the best gyms in the USA, something no gym in Argentina has ever come close to.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Easy Go
12-30-07, 03:05
Thomaso276 asked about pricing in the US.

I pay $US300 annually in the US but don't live in a big city. That's for a local club with lots of lots if Olympic free weights, weight machines, and aerobic equipment. No pool. Lockers are daily use only (free) Never crowded and the manager hires for cute.

LA Fitness is opening a big new club nearby. Announced pricing is $S30/ month for a month-to-month plan. Looks nice on the plans and includes a pool.

I was in LA (Santa Monica) at Christmas and used the Spectrum Club there. Daily fee is $20 (ouch! And I think the annual cost is around $500-600.

I paid around $AR60 for a month at the basic little gym I go to when I'm in BA (price was for Sep 2007) No Olympic free weights and no aerobic machines except for a couple of old treadmils and exercise bikes. Small and crowded at prime time.

I'd join another gym if I lived in BA but these guys are friendly and don't hassle me about the health certificate so it's OK for a couple of weeks. The club (Akros) is at Junin & Juncal.

Thomaso276
12-30-07, 11:23
Thanks Easy, as I thought, Megatlon wants as much if not more than USA gym.

Bad: I do not know about parking, isn't there parking for the mall itself?

BadMan
12-30-07, 11:54
I see,

The answer is: Yes. The average chain gym will charge you between $25-$40 a month. If you are renewing your membership, many times they will give you a huge discount and they also have 2 for 1 deals. All of this is unheard of here in BA.
Thanks Easy, as I thought, Megatlon wants as much if not more than USA gym.

Thomaso276
01-03-08, 20:38
Okay so today I go by two places to check them out.

I walk to Sportclub second location at 2000 Paraguay (about the same walk from my house to Meg. on Arenales. Big building, lots of equipment, somewhat dated but servicable. Dirk: you may want to check it out as the benches seemed wider, machines had lots of weights. 20 kilo discs abound. Drawback: the lockers and showers are dark and dank. Need some cleaning on the tiles. Pool.

If I join Sportclub this location is included in the very reasonable price.

I go to Meg. and work out and tell them I have had enuff of their price increases (in a nice way) I tell them I will need my electrocard report that I turned in last month and they can't find it. The guy will be looking for it over the next couple of days. Amazing that they wanted this report and letter from the doctor and yet their is no file system with a file for me they can just open up. No one seemed to know where the report went. Guy was looking in drawers at the front desk! I wonder: if I have a heart attack will it magically appear.

I walk to La Parc and speak to some little faggot. He tells me 200 pesos for a month and a monthly price of 120 pesos (X 12) for the year. I get the tour (nice lockers, bathrooms, dark and small spaces for free weights, very little free weights) older machines. Everything is along walls, no big room to work out in. Some girl who is answering my questions seems surprised when I tell her the kid at the desk gave me a foreigner price (Hound was quoted 99 monthly @yr and 165 monthly) and it bothers me. Seems to bother her too. As I am leaving I tell the kid at the desk I wasn't that impressed with the place and also tell him he gave me a foreigner price. He says it is the same price for everyone. I almost ***** slap him.

So much for La Parc.

So far best deals: Meg on Reconquista (includes several others like Rod Pena but not Arenales and Alto Palermo) at 110 monthly @ yr or Sportclub on Diag Norte & Florida, new place, 90 monthly @yr with option to use the one on Paraguay.

Facundo
01-04-08, 04:56
Okay so today I go by two places to check them out.

I walk to Sportclub second location at 2000 Paraguay (about the same walk from my house to Meg. On Arenales. Big building, lots of equipment, somewhat dated but servicable. Dirk: you may want to check it out as the benches seemed wider, machines had lots of weights. 20 kilo discs abound. Drawback: the lockers and showers are dark and dank. Need some cleaning on the tiles. Pool.

If I join Sportclub this location is included in the very reasonable price.

I go to Meg. And work out and tell them I have had enuff of their price increases (in a nice way) I tell them I will need my electrocard report that I turned in last month and they can't find it. The guy will be looking for it over the next couple of days. Amazing that they wanted this report and letter from the doctor and yet their is no file system with a file for me they can just open up. No one seemed to know where the report went. Guy was looking in drawers at the front desk! I wonder: if I have a heart attack will it magically appear.

I walk to La Parc and speak to some little faggot. He tells me 200 pesos for a month and a monthly price of 120 pesos (X 12) for the year. I get the tour (nice lockers, bathrooms, dark and small spaces for free weights, very little free weights) older machines. Everything is along walls, no big room to work out in. Some girl who is answering my questions seems surprised when I tell her the kid at the desk gave me a foreigner price (Hound was quoted 99 monthly @yr and 165 monthly) and it bothers me. Seems to bother her too. As I am leaving I tell the kid at the desk I wasn't that impressed with the place and also tell him he gave me a foreigner price. He says it is the same price for everyone. I almost ***** slap him.

So much for La Parc.

So far best deals: Meg on Reconquista (includes several others like Rod Pena but not Arenales and Alto Palermo) at 110 monthly @ yr or Sportclub on Diag Norte & Florida, new place, 90 monthly @yr with option to use the one on Paraguay.Thomaso, I belong to the Megatlon in La Imprenta (Las Caņitas) and the prices were ridiculous last year and they have gotten absurd with the new year. Last year I paid AR$1,500 pesos for a one year membership. All new memberships are now being quoted the following:

One year membership AR$1,925 or $160 per month if they charge your local credit card over a one year period. However, if you pay in cash or one payment, now this is absurd, the annual membersip is $2,100.

By the way, if one joins one of the other Megatlon gyms that have less expensive memberships you cannot use La Imprenta gym, however, if you join La Imprenta you can use all the other Megatlon gyms.

I've tried quite a few of the gyms you've been investigating and the best I've found so far, albeit expensive, is La Imprenta Megatlon. The machines are state of the art and the pool is impressive. They have on going classes all day and night. Rarely does one have to wait for a machine or weights.

I believe they get these prices because the place is always frequented by local models like Liz Solari, or television and movie stars, or historians like Felipe Pigna.

MCSE
01-05-08, 13:30
One year membership AR$1,925 or $160 per month if they charge your local credit card over a one year period. However, if you pay in cash or one payment, now this is absurd, the annual membersip is $2,100.You don't pay a whole payment when charged to the credit card, you are charged monthly. Also, if you are 2 people the rates reduces, I believe they have a kind of deal with the credit cards companies or something, since it's as you said, absurd that cost more when paying in advance.

By the way, if one joins one of the other Megatlon gyms that have less expensive memberships you cannot use La Imprenta gym, however, if you join La Imprenta you can use all the other Megatlon gyms.Yes, and this structure repeats, as if you get a membership in the congreso megatlon, you should pay an extra fee to get to the one in rodriguez pena.

I believe they get these prices because the place is always frequented by local models like Liz Solari, or television and movie stars, or historians like Felipe Pigna.Yes, La Imprenta it's a very nice neighborhood, and it's amazing "la imprenta" gym which it's located one block away, just next to persicco it's only 70 pesos per month, but you don't have this beauty close to you. (the attached pic is Liz Solari)

Thomaso276
01-05-08, 18:05
Yes, the cash price can be higher than a credit card!

Anyhow today we went to Meg. On Reconquista and it was pretty good. Lots of free weights and machines. Saturday is very slow so no problem waiting. They tell me it is very crowded during the week around 6pm due to office workers. Just as well, I prefer around 4pm. I will check it out. We are going to make an offer to the manager next week about renewing two memberships.

BadMan
01-05-08, 18:11
Thomaso,.

Let me know if this works out. I tried something similar at the Alto Palermo branch and they wouldn't budge. I tried to get one membership at a discount if I purchased and paid for both up front and they said no. So let me know if it works.

Thanks in advance,

Bad
We are going to make an offer to the manager next week about renewing two memberships.

TejanoLibre
01-07-08, 14:11
Thomaso,

Did you check-out the new gym on Viamonte 800 block?

Inexpensive, all the weights are new and the dumbells have a nicely padded grip.

Take Care,

RG.

P. S - airconditioned too!

AllIWantIsLove
02-23-08, 12:34
I checked out these two Megatlons last month. At Alto Palmero, next to the shopping mall, they wanted $300 pesos (all prices will be in pesos) per month plus $30 for the membership card plus $30 for a cardio test. A nice facility, all new LiteFitness equipment. I do not recall the selection of free weights. No pool. Air conditioned as I recall. I don't recall the hours but I do recall that they are open 7 days a week.

At Recoleta (on Arenales between Riobamba and Ayacucho) they wanted $240 per month, no fee for a membership card (no membership card either, I just use my receipt) and no mention of a cardio exam. A nice facility, all new LifeFitness equipment, an adequate selection of free weights (although I do not use them) No pool. Air conditioned. CLOSED Sunday.

In both cases you can use only the one you join. I know that there's a pool at the one on Rodriguez Peņa but I was told that it, and I am not sure if "it" meant only the pool or the whole facaility, is being remodeled.

Feel the Burn, Bob

El Queso
02-24-08, 18:57
Saw this a bit late.

I joined SportClub at their "Checcina" location, which is on Bartoleme Mitre, between Montevideo and Rodriguez Pena. When I joined (October 2007) they had a deal for an 8 month contract for 95 pesos per month for the first member, 80 pesos for the second and 65 pesos for any additional. They have a pool, decent-sized room for free weights and machines (with a number of duplicated stations) a large number of treadmills, abut 10 bike machines, three stair-steppers and two ellipticals. All in fairly decent state of repair, or even recently new. A couple of good-sized rooms for aerobics and karate classes. The building was fairly clean and they had temporary lockers on a couple of floors, as wells as lockers for rent in the shower rooms (which were fairly clean)

I moved recently to Barrio Norte and the SportClub membership included the location (as Thomaso describes) at 2000 Paraguay (there are SportClub locations that the membership did not include, but I don't remember now which ones they were)

The building is a little older, but not bad at all. I found that the bicycle machines and treadmills are in even better repair and newness than the other location. The weight rooms are about the same, fairly nice. I haven't seen the pool yet, but the shower room is a little smaller than the other building. They don't have any temporary lockers, but in the shower rooms they have a corner fenced off with an attendant where you can leave things in exchange for a ticket.

I like SportClub quite a bit. Reasonable price, the people are friendly and the facilities are not that much lower than what I was used to in the States when I went regularly 10 years ago or so.

Dickhead
02-25-08, 00:42
I don't agree with El Queso's evaluation. I was a member of Sport Club Cecchina on be. Mitre from Feb. 2007 to Jan. 2008. They offered me a year membership at 80 pesos per month but then mysteriously began to charge 90 pesos about halfway through the contract. They do not have 3 stair machines. They have two and one was broken most of the time. They do not have 10 stationary bikes, more like 7. The place is brutally, brutally, brutally hot, partially due to the pool but mostly due not having any AC and silly fans that are too high up in the air. It is at least 80 F in the winter in the workout room and well over 90 F in the summer (I checked this with a portable thermometer)

Also the showers are full of mold and at any given time about 70% have shower heads. There are no toilet seats anywhere. There is no water cooler in the aerobic room. The water cooler by the locker room is frequently empty. They do have a decent number of treadmills but 1 of 4 is broken on average and another 1 of 4 needs lubrication or the incline does not work, etc. The butterfly press broke around May and was still broken in January. I had to make three visits just to cancel my membership. The place is often overrun with kids from the private high school next door and even worse, the locker room is full of screaming, uncontrolled, minimally supervised 4-9 year old kids who use the swimming pool. They sit on the stairs coming down to the locker room and on the floor in front of the locker room and seem petulant when kicked.

It got the job done but I don't recommend this particular branch. If it had not been two blocks from my apartment I never would have put up with it. I will say I did not ever use the pool. Nor did I ever avail myself of the classes, of which they did seem to have plenty. They have plenty of free weights so that is a strong point if that is your thing.

Did I mention that it is extremely hot in the exercise room? Also most of the women there (at least the time of day I went there, normally between 11 and 2) are older and not doing anything but walking on the treadmills and talking on their cell phones.

Also it is very hot in this fucking place.

El Queso
02-25-08, 16:41
I don't agree with El Queso's evaluation.Heh - I guess our posts show how different people can experience two different things in the same place:)

The excercise rooms in what I am familiar with had air conditioning (from big pipes running the length of the machine room, blowing air in both directions from ducts spaced about 15 feet or so. They blew directly at the aerobic machines. When working on the weight machines I didn't notice much of a difference in temperature. In fact, I often felt chilled after I stopped to rest after sweating from the workout. I never worked with the free weights, which were in a different part of that floor and the air may not have distributed well in there. I am a profuse sweater - I can sweat to a soaking wet condition at 80 degrees if I have air movement at all. I didn't feel oppressed in there.

I never saw the broken stair-steppers - they were always functioning when I was there, but there were 3 ellipticals, and one of them was always broken - it always seemed to have a problem with the band that drove the wheel / magneto. Two ellipticals together with one of those broken, and the other elliptical on the other side of two stair-steppers, between the third stair stepper.

I never saw any of the treadmills broken, and the treadmills were almost always completely utilized when I was there. As to whether or not they needed oil or wouldn't incline I can't say, because I prefer the bikes and ellipticals - less damage to the joints.

As to the showers, perhaps I mispoke. They seemed clean to me (having only seen them once - I used the locker room once to change for the pool) but I never showered there - I lived about half a block from there and didn't bother. I don't like showering in public places anyway for exactly the reason of mold and other crap. I can see how I might have missed how bad they were.

My normal workout time was between 3:00 and 6:00 in the afternoon. It would get more crowded the later I was in there, but I don't recall at all seeing kids in there in general, except for the day I had my doctor's exam, there was a swim class being taught that afternoon and there were 4 or 5 kids about 10-14 in the lesson, all very well behaved.

And my god, there were a couple of really gorgeous chicks that would come in and do stretch routines between the two rows of weight machines.

So far I have had no problem at all with my charges. I pay for three people including myself and every month I get charged properly.

Now, I haven't been to the Checcina location since the beginning of December because I had to got he States and then moved in January. Maybe things were really bad after I went?

Dickhead
02-26-08, 14:20
I found the free weight room to be tolerable, temperature-wise. It was the exercise room that was hot (it is directly above the pool) It could easily be that they did not turn the AC on until later in the day, and it makes perfect sense that the kids would be gone by late afternoon since they obviously came from some school or another. I don't think I was ever in the place after 2 PM, especially given that my theory was that it would get even hotter as the day went on. I do remember one gal telling me they did have AC and pointing to those pipes to which you refer but since I tested the temperature empirically I can safely say the place is an oven. Maybe I missed the third stair stepper but the one rowing machine never worked right either (slippage when pulling, leading to inconsistent tension, leading to potential for injury)

Lysander
03-18-08, 22:54
I've been working out at this place over the last couple of weeks and for what I want it suits me just fine. At 60 pesos a month (short term membership and no joining fee) you can't complain about the price. No medical certificate needed either - nor any preliminary instruction given on how to use the equipment when you first joint. After you've paid your money you just walk in a get on with it. Its the kind of place you'd expect to find in Abasto rather than Recoleta - a Mega-mile away from Megaton. Not the most modern equipment, badly marked and some poorly maintained. Lots of free weights, but hardly any safety clips - easy to drop a 20Kg weight on your foot if you loose your balance. Needless to say, a certain amount of improvisation is needed if you want to get the best out of the equipment. An assortment of other weight machines from a variety of local manufacturers. Very few treadmills or exercise bikes. No aircon, just ceiling fans. Even on a mild day like today it was a bit steamy in there. Attracts a youngish crowd of locals including some fit looking girls. Best avoided during busy times (after 5 on week days) when it gets overcrowded.

In summary - just my kind of place. Reminds me of my old rowing club gym. Recommended, but not if you are in imminent danger of a cardiac arrest, or if you don't know how to organize your own training session.

El Perro
11-26-08, 16:57
An update from my visit here today. $250p a month if you go month to month. 150p a month if you do a year deal with a debit card and 120p a month for a year deal if you use a credit card. As best I can understand it.

Md2000
06-25-09, 12:50
Will be heading down to BA in a couple weeks and wanted to see if there is an update on gyms you all would recommend for a 2 week stay.

Thanks

Rachelm
12-31-09, 01:52
Megatlon told me when I signed up for a pre-paid six-month membership that the money that I was paying up-front would be the only financial transaction that would occur. They said that after six month my membership would automatically expire. Yet, they kept charging me forty dollars a month for seven months thereafter, until I convinced VISA to block their charges. Be careful with these people-- I didn't authorize them to use my details for direct debit, yet apparently to them a foreign credit card was an invitation to steal funds. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Moore
08-04-16, 20:12
Anybody have a current recommendation for a good gym in Palermo?

Thanks.

Moore.

Dickhead
08-04-16, 21:00
The one I went to last year wasn't too bad. A better cardio place than for strength training, relatively speaking. Sport Club on Guatemala behind the Disco. I think the cross street is Gurruchaga.