PDA

View Full Version : English language bookstores

Kc Questor
09-07-05, 04:17
I like to have a book with me whenever I am traveling. It makes it easy to sit in a cafe and check out the girls, sit in a park and check out the girls, sit on the beach and.... you get the picture. I tend to blow through most books pretty fast, so for extended trips it gets cumbersome to carry a library with me. When I used to stay at hostels it was easy to trade books with other travelers, but that doesn't happen much in apartments or hotels.

How common are English language books at bookstores in BsAs? Are there bookstores specializing in English books, or will I mostly just find a few old copies of John LeCarre and Louis L'Amour on a lower shelf?

Stormy
09-07-05, 11:51
There is an English language bookstore on.

Marcelo T. De Alvear just beyond the corner at Talcahuano going west. It is small and they have a lot of classics, but not the hot new stuff. Prices were rather high. I bought a paperback copy of "The Sun also Rises" for about 30 pesos for a gift. There are other English language bookstores I have walked by, but can't remember addresses.

Daddy Rulz
09-07-05, 13:23
In Chacarita (I think) is a book fair like the faria in Recoletta for handicrafts. It's in a big park with about a gozillian vendors. Most any hotel bellmen could probably tell you where it is. Most of the selection will be old books but a lot of the vendors also sell trutcho copies of new books. I saw a guy with many copies of the Da Vinchi code in paperback (not released yet as paperback) I think they just type them up and print them. Most new and used book stores around the city have an english section but books are expensive as hell.

I'm the same way about reading, parks and good looking girls.

Out for Flesh
09-10-05, 20:41
ABC Bookstores (http://www.libreriasabc.com.ar/) is a good place. They have a branch at Córdoba 685. Yes, the books are expensive for Argentina, as they are sold by the original price -- I. E. If it's 8 pounds in UK, then it'll be like 40 pesos. They have books in English and German.