PDA

View Full Version : Businesses and Alcohol during Elections

Moore
10-19-05, 18:00
As I'm sure most people know, this Sunday 23-Oct is a major election day here in Argentina. Does anyone know if, when, and how this affects bars, boliches, and other businesses this weekend? Andres?

It is common in Latin America, where voting is often mandatory, for alcohol to be forbidden the entire weekend of an election.

I remember something like this here in BA a couple years ago. I was entering the Shamrock on a Saturday night and they said it was closed due to the elections the following day.

MCSE
10-21-05, 15:14
Theaters and shows, public and sports events, meetings of voters (this means that no political party should organize any meeting 80 meters or closer to any public school) carring a weapon even if authorized is forbidden 12 hours before and 12 hours after the election closing and beginning, as no carring any red flag, banner, flair or political party insign (this is funny, but some people go to vote on red pants, to identify themselves as radicals) it's also forbidden to expose public surveys about the election on media.

AND NO ALCOHOL TO BE SOLD 12 hours before the election procedures (sunday 23rd at 8:00 AM) and 3 hours after the election official results.

There is nothing written about restaurants and pubs, in theory they could open and sell non alcoholic beverages, but many of them close to avoid any kind of fines, as they have obligation to let employees take the day off if they vote (sunday). Consider this is a senators and deputee election, it's not so important as the government election, but has been widely covered by the media since current president's wife (cristina Kitchner) and former president's wife (chiche Duhalde) are both as competitors for the Buenos Aires province, the most populated area within the nation.

Dickhead
10-21-05, 16:47
I read MCSE's terrifying post and so decided I had better go score some heroin instead. But, while I was out I saw a guy buying wine at a store so I went into Norte. They had signs up saying, "Anticipate your alcohol purchases because Sunday we won't be able to sell any." To clarify I asked the security guard, "No alcohol sales on Saturday and Sunday or just on Sunday?" and he said he was pretty sure it was just Sunday (as the signs indicated)

So maybe MCSE meant he read this today at 8 AM. It doesn't start today at 8 AM as he post seemed to indicate. That's good because I haven't been able to score any heroin yet.

Moore
10-21-05, 18:26
I've asked several locals about this during the last few days. I have gotten many different answers. The most credible answer I got was that no alcohol will be served anywhere from 8pm Sat thru 8pm Sun. This would be logical since I believe voting hours on Sunday are from 8am to 6pm. That allows 12 hours between bottle and throttle. The ban includes Amstel Light.

Dickhead
10-21-05, 18:52
Well, I'm off to the supermercado to buy 417 quarts of Brahma.

MCSE
10-22-05, 02:59
The restriction begins 12 hours BEFORE the election. The election starts at 8:00 AM on Sunday, so alcohol is forbidden to be sold from Saturday October 22nd at 8:00 PM.

Jackson
10-22-05, 22:38
Greetings everyone,

I just got back this evening (Saturday, approximately 8:30pm) from the local Carrefour store (Carrefour is link a Super Walmart) The entire alcohol section was barricaded off with signs advising that per Argentine law alcohol sales were not permitted after 8:00pm on the day before an election.

Jackson

Dickhead
10-22-05, 23:04
I finally found some heroin in Constitución. How do you shoot that shit up anyway? Can I use a knitting needle? Somebody said I had to cook it first. Can I just microwave it? Somebody help me out cuz I am out of Brahma.

BTW the alcohol ban lasts til midnight tomorrow night according to the cop on my block. My friend "La Boliviana Trucho" says the clubs will open up at midnight and to expect it to be busy. I don't vouch for any of this information but that is the 411 in the hood. Now if anyone has the 420 please let me know.

Moore
10-23-05, 00:14
I just had dinner at my local restaurant (10pm Saturday) and drank wine and beer (damn, not Amstel Light) There is a sign on the door saying no alcohol will be served the entire 24 hours of Sunday. But as of 11:15pm Sat they are serving.

Locos and Man
11-22-05, 07:52
What were these elections for? Is there any place that is covering the elections?

Loc.

Btw, I find Dickheads sprinklings of addiction on these threads hilarious. Top notch stuff, keep up the good work!

Moore
11-22-05, 20:31
The elections were for citizens voting for people running for political office.

Hope this helps,

Moore