PDA

View Full Version : Tomo1

Lunico
10-25-05, 10:56
Prounounced Toe-mo-uno, two words, I think it means, I drink one or I take one: Member #3313 took me to this place the other day. What a meal. 79 pesos the person, 4 star dining. The special was goose patte, your choice of salad or soup (leek) Cornish Hen legs, fruit tart and coffee. Two thumbs up. Just delicious.

Service, impeccable.

Decor, elegant.

Staff, english speaking.

Wine, of which 1/2 a bottle is included in the meal was the best I had in argentina, we sampled the red and white, both just wonderful.

http://www.welcomeargentina.com/plantillas/30549_i.html

Thanks Member #3313. Your a classy guy!

Knuckhead
10-26-05, 03:39
...but I do believe the price-fixed menu for lunch is 72 pesos. It is 79 for dinner. I do realize this place is not exactly bon marché in the big scheme of things, but consider that the wine is, for all practical purposes, "all you can drink".

I have been to this place about 6-7 times and the food has always been good, with the exception of once in August when Dickhead and I went there together.

And Lunico, thanks for the translation of the name: I had no idea what the name meant!

Dickhead
10-26-05, 17:32
But the hostess was hot.

Norman Stormin
12-29-05, 14:13
Are unusual for me. When disappointed, I normally just never frequent the place again. However, a four star hotel implies a dining experience of similar stature and price. This is not the case at Tomo 1 and warrants a warning to fellow travelers.

I never make reservations. Most restaurants open at noon for lunch with no customers until 1pm. I always show up at noon and never have a problem. This particular day I had a lot going and thought it best to make a reservation for 1:30 pm. I arrived 30 minutes late and I guess I was punished for my tardiness by being put in a midget table for two in the corner. The reservation was not necessay as only five of approximately 25 tables were occupied. My date protested having a view of two blank walls and we were moved to a center table for four.

Ambiance: There is none. The room is quite stark. It looks as though they ran out of money while decorating. There are a few pieces of cheap artwork hanging between a lot of blank wall space. The wicker chairs are the type you might find in any neighborhood confiteria. There is a skyline view of 9 de Julio, however the shades were drawn shortly after our arrival as if to signal it was close to closing time.

Service: Very American (ie. very rushed). I was served my salad five minutes after the appetizer. I felt like this was a place for a new cover every hour. I think the wait staff was ordered to have us out by 3 pm. I put my foot down and politely told the waiter I was not here to get an ulcer.

Food: Standard cafe fare. The appetizer was a flavorless terraine of zuccinni. Next was a small arrucula salad with a few red pemiento pieces. The main course of breaded pork loin medallions was well prepared but the accompaning green beans and zuccinni had been in the steam table since 10 am. The redeeming factor was the wine which the prix fix menu described as about half a bottle. The wine kept flowing and I'm sure we each had a full bottle. I think this is an intentional ploy to distract you from an otherwise boring experience.

Price: Good value at 25 pesos per person; A bit expensive at 50 pesos; But a priceless experience of Argentine thievery that would make even Menem blush at 72 pesos.

Spassmusssein
12-29-05, 23:27
Norman stupid posted his senseless estimation:

Another cheap asshole who does not know nothing.

Tomo uno is one of the best places to eat.

Maybe normanstupid does not know how to behave sitting aside.

Andres
12-30-05, 01:40
Prounounced Toe-mo-uno, two words, I think it means, I drink one or I take oneLOL.

It means "Volume I". Cheff Ada Concaro is a Mathematics Teacher.

Andres

Andres
12-30-05, 01:43
Are unusual for me. When disappointed, I normally just never frequent the place again. However, a four star hotel implies a dining experience of similar stature and price. This is not the case at Tomo 1 and warrants a warning to fellow travelers.Sorry for your bad experence.

I heard that it is considered the best Argentine restaurant in Buenos Aires.

They may be accustomed to on-time guests.

Andres

Lunico
12-30-05, 04:14
That'll learn me some proper spanish. Just shows how many volumes of anything I've read in spanish. Shoot, I don't believe I've read volumes of anything in english either. Yeah I love Tomo 1 and volume one reads a lot cooler than "I drink one".

I hope to be in BA in or after June, if your in town you have my invitation for a meal here.

Hunt99
12-30-05, 22:18
They may be accustomed to on-time guests.Andres my friend, this is Argentina we're talking about, not Germany.;)

Norman Stormin
01-08-06, 13:30
I have been complaining about this restaurant to several locals who also swear it is one of the best in Buenos Aires. After several interogations, I find NONE of them have eaten here. They only "heard" it was so good.

The other day the truth came out from one of these touters. Her former boyfriend was a chef there at one time. She had never eaten there. The owners are two women (Ave and Ebe) or something close to that. They never cook and only teach. One is in fact a mathamatics teacher. They have a constant turn over of cooks.

I find that many recommendations here are pure fantasy. But the proof of the pudding is.

Spassmusssein
01-08-06, 19:05
-love to eat shit, I DO NOT.

Tomo I is the best international-mediterenean-stile places. As Ex-European used to the best places there, I surely can estimate this.

I am living close, so I am used to eat there, for me one of the best price / value in respect of high-class food. I also apreciate the colors and the location, it opens my mind and that is what I want eating in places like that.

If you want burgers and french fries, juicy steaks and blond receptionists, stay at Alamo, everybody in this city is free to do what he wants.