PDA

View Full Version : Comparing living in BA to Rio?

Boxer
11-13-05, 14:09
Any members that know both Rio and Buenos Aires well care to give their opinions and experiences on the commonalities and differences between the two cities please?

Will be relocating from Rio to BA shortly.

Choose any topic (s) that you wish too.

Thanks,

Boxer

Full Throttle
11-13-05, 17:13
BA is better.

It's like comparing a Broadway show to a school play.

I love Rio, but, for living, there is NO comparison.

Of course, that's just my opinion. It's also right, but it's my opinion.

FT

Easy Go
11-13-05, 17:44
Rio - better sex scene, better beaches.

BA - better for pretty much everything else plus it's cheaper at current exchange rates.

Boxer
11-13-05, 20:04
Your posts are very encouraging to read. Thank you for replying.

To Full Throttle, Easy Go and any other fellow members wishing to offer their opinions and experiences on the following topics please;

*Any specific or general recommendations regarding Buenos Aires for a newcomer? I have had only short limited business trips to date over the past few years)

*Can you recommend any particular neighborhoods to live in for a single male?

Walkable, close to stores, gyms, sports, parks and cafes?

*What are considered the best gyms to join and cafes (regular and otherwise) to hang out at?

Regards,

Boxer

Jaimito Cartero
11-13-05, 20:27
I spent almost a month in Rio this year, and have spent almost 2 months in BA over the last couple of years.

I am much more relaxed in BA. I enjoy the restaurants, and nightlife more in BA. In Rio (Copacabana, in particular) I always felt I had to really watch my back. I am always cautious where I am, but had to constantly be on high alert in Rio.

I would pick BA to live in in a second. I would have to have a really good reason to live in Rio.

Full Throttle
11-13-05, 23:47
There is a relatively small contingent of ex-pat's, but they are (almost) universally great guys and, assuming you are too, will give you far better advice than I.

Make friends with Dickhead, Jackson, Captain Dave, Roxana and Sylvina. For the best bet, stay at the "Mansion" for a couple of weeks and bend Jackson and Captain Dave's ears about EVERYTHING.

Fantasizing, I would live in Recoleta if budget wasn't a big concern. The premium is only around 40% for rent as far as I can tell, but get better advice.

FT

El Aleman
11-14-05, 11:46
A good neighborhood is certainly Recoleta, but also Palermo and most of Barrio Norte.

If you really consider moving to BA, I would start with a recon trip of several weeks, gathering as much information as possible, looking at various parts of the city, getting a feeling myself. Maybe stay 2 weeks in this area, 2 weeks in that, etc. This will give a good idea of each area.

Walkable always means your close surroundings, and there are nice spots in many parts of the city. But forget about walking out of your direct neighborhood into other parts of BA, it is just too big.

El Alemán

Moore
03-19-06, 01:40
This is one of many reasons we live in BA and not Rio. Live from Ipanema beach.

Most of Brazil is how I would expect Nigeria or Jamaica to be like. Very much a third world banana place, and the crime rate (violent) is horrible. Even the efficient south like Porto Alegre is VERY dangerous. Women, wine, food, culture, climate...absolutely no comparison to BA. Even the best neighborhoods in Sao Paulo look like maximum security prisons. And it rains every friggin day there. Not in 100 years will you see this in Argentina:

Jaimito Cartero
03-20-06, 06:33
I think that Brazil has some very nice mongering opportunities. I stayed for a month last summer and enjoyed it.

Moore is right about the crime and scams going on there. I wouldn't mind living in BA, but would only ever visit SP or Rio.

I found the residents of Rio to be quite friendly, like most places I visit.