PDA

View Full Version : Teatro Colon Q's

Judd
11-14-05, 06:31
Last February, I did the tour of the Teatro Colon. I enjoyed it, and was impressed to hear the symphony gearing up for an upcoming opera, if only for a minute. I guess it turned me into a renaissance man, because I'm on the board starting a thread about the opera house. I will be in BA Friday, November 18th leaving on the 28th of Nov.

My question is can anyone recommend the best night to visit the Teatro Colon during my vacation? I've included a link showing the upcoming events for the theater. Http:/ www. Teatrocolon. Org. Ar / inicio. Htm. Looks like there might be an opera called Turandot playing, and the Philharmonic Orchestra of Buenos Aires is playing on another night. I'm not sure what would be the most entertaining for a novice like me. Any help would be appreciated.

Judd

Fred88
11-14-05, 09:06
After numerous regular and wildcat strikes by workers at the Teatro Colon, the city ordered it shut until further notice. If something can be done about the labor situation, it may reopen in 2006. Otherwise, the city's most famous cultural attraction is down for the count. The negative side of unruly labor disputes. Teatro Avenida and other venues are still open.

Thomaso276
11-14-05, 11:35
I believe they reopened it again recently when Gov't changed it's mind and cancelled the shut down decree. Judd: like the subways, trains, schools, airlines, services and programs down here open and close without notice! When you arrive just go and buy a ticket.

PS: be careful around the Teatro in the afternoon, I personally saw one mugging and also talked to an American who got mugged in the afternoon on a side street after leaving the theatre. The rolex watch was his downfall. Guys on motorbikes pulled a hit and run. Thieves know alot of elderly, rich folks are in the area to buy tickets.

Good luck.

Marak5
11-15-05, 07:57
Judd,

I wouldn't recommend the opera if you are new to this type of music. I'm not familiar with that particular one though. But some of them are rather long (like 4 hours) and if you come to find out that it's not your bag, it's kind of a waste. The opera is probably a little more high brow and stiff than the symphony performance.

The symphony is probably pretty accessible. Mendelssohn is really easy to listen to, and you can't really go wrong with Bruckner. Plus the concierto is probably no longer than 30-45 minutes and the symphonly most likely isn't much longer than an hour, so it's less of a commitment.

I've been meaning to check out the theatre and I will be in town the same time as you, so perhaps I will see you there!

Judd
11-15-05, 15:14
Marak5,

That's what I wanted to know. With a concert / symphony, you can see + hear the theater in all it's glory, and be in-n-out in fairly short order. Whereas, the opera has a higher opportunity for the boring factor to creep in since they are rather long. Makes sense.

Thanks again,

Judd

Guiller
11-15-05, 23:30
Hi,

The breaking news is that the theatre is officially retaking the 2005 season, interrupted after a series of strikes. The truth is that the level of musical performances of this cathederal of classical music has been steadily decreasing in time due to the lack of funding (more notably after the mid 70's) If you would accept my advise, try to avoid any symphonic concerts and better concentrate in the operas (I. E. The scheduled conductors are not particularly talented) Actually, the best recent performances are all of lesser know operas, but we are now left with two titles! If you would like a more concrete advise I could recommend "Don Giovanni" (Mozart) The only alternative is "Turandot" (Puccini) that perhaps is visually more attractive, but cannot compete with one the greatest operas ever written. The complete program for the 2005 season can be found (in Spanish) here:

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/programacion/temporada2005/calendarios/calendario2005.htm

I hope this helps.

All the best

MCSE
11-16-05, 06:18
Opera it's just fascinating art.

Opera contains other arts as music and theatre but is considered an art by itself. Hollywood movies and opera have many things in common, but for understanding modern movies, opera it's great the same way for understanding all romance (western) languages latin will help a lot.

In addition, the opera it's artcraft made, movies are distributed to everyone in just one version, it's like comparing a concert and a CD.

Turandot it's a great opera, one of my favorites, as Carmen and La Boheme, sometimes funny, since 'au contraire' many people think, operas have funny scenes, action, romance and some way a reflection of common life, just like hollywood movies. Turandot it's a reflection of evil woman, an interpretation on how cruel a woman can be, using her beauty as a tool to demand beyond the possible and impossible to a man in love.

Judd don't miss the opera and make yourself your own impression, just take it as the first time you were on a live concert then tell us what your conclussions about the opera are. Anyway, it's always recomendable to search for the book with acts at the main hall since operas are in italian.

All the best

Judd
11-16-05, 06:40
MCSE,

I see that your currently online. I just sent you a pm. Send me a quick pm back. I want to fill you in on getting those items for you before I leave the US on Thursday.

Judd

Guiller
11-16-05, 10:02
Hi all,

Here's an informative link (in spanish, but could be easily translated using any on-line translator) related to the theatre's reopening, published in today's edition of "La Nacion" (one of Argentina leading newspapers and, many will argue, one of the best):

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/cultura/nota.asp?nota_id=756673

All the best