PDA

View Full Version : Burger King

Moore
11-30-05, 01:27
Location - Santa Fe & Ayacucho.

Just had a jumbo Whopper combo meal. That was some good shit!!! But I am hammered though. I was on my way back from jackhammering a new chica at Santa Fe 1707 hillbilly style. This place is decked out 1950s style with checkers, chrome, and big red booths.

Will definitely repeat!

Moore
12-13-05, 00:41
Recently I was exiting Santa Fe 1707, half spent from the intense machinegunning session I had there and half drunk from Stella / Heineken.

Well now I needed some American grease. The place Salto de Las Ranas is right around the corner - which is supposedly a TexMex place. But we all know that nobody outside of the US (more specifically the Southwest, even more specifically Texas) knows how to do TexMex. Even the Mexicans have no idea what it is. So I decided to not set myself up for a disappointment there.

Only 2 options left - I was equidistant (approx 3 blocks) from Burger King and El Alamo. I had to make a choice.

No contest - Burger King hands down. I had an excellent meal (Whopper combo) there and will repeat again. The place was packed. It exceeded my expectations.

JengisKhan
12-13-05, 11:54
I don't want to burst your bubble but I thought that everyone knew that the best Tex Mex in the world comes from California. More specifically in La Taqueria in the Mission district of San Francisco, or a Marisco's truck in various locations of Los Angeles. Texas has better barbeque though. I'll give you that. Nothing like a big steak soaked in butter.

Moore
12-13-05, 15:16
I've had great TexMex in California, which sort of qualifies as part of the Southwest. But why do you think the food is called TexMex and not CalMex? I believe that fajitas were invented in South Texas, for example.

Quester3
12-13-05, 23:20
What the food is called and where it is good / best at are two separate things. For example, not that I'm that huge a fancy french fare gourmet, but lots of people argue the best french cuisine can be found in many inns of Napa Valley.

Or that the best 'california fresh' cuisine can actually be found in the baja area of mexico. Or that the best New England Clam Chowder is not actually best in New England, which while damn good, draws more raves from the sourdough bowl and clam chowder capital of the world - San Francisco.

However, back to the subject - native californian I may be, but I'm an honorary Texan - I think the best TexMex is from Austin.

Hunt99
12-14-05, 11:20
You are an idiot Moore. Overpaid by 75% for your Whopper. La Casa de Ptomaine on the corner of Estados Unidos and Defensa sells their own version of the Whopper for 80 centavos. Only stupid gringo tourists eat at Burger King.

Moore
12-14-05, 19:13
Strong words Hunt99.

I didnt realize that I was splurging by dropping a "whopping" 10 pesos at BK. I do know that I was the only gringo and the only "tourist" (and possibly the only idiot) there. I would have gone to El Alamo if I wanted to be surrounded by that crowd.

Does La Casa de Ptomaine truly serve burgers? I will try it if you're serious. Argentina doesnt seem to be to keen on burgers - Ive yet to find a place that throws a good half pound ground sirloin on the grill and serve it up right. After eating several thousand 400 gram bife de chorizos, Ive become kind of bored with them, even though theyre usually very high quality here.

Normally when its very late and I'm drunk and hungry for grease here I get a choripan with chimichurri (thats like a sausage sandwich in case you didnt know). It hits the spot and Ive become used to it. Most late night (after 2am) grills here have it and in provincia there are guys on the street that cook it in barreldrum grills and sell it right outside of bars / clubs. Just like the Mexicans do with fajitas outside of bars in Texas. Its exactly what you want after all the alcohol.

Hunt99
12-14-05, 20:10
I am going to take a page from the playbook of Exon123 and am going to stop answering the questions of stupíd gringo tourists who eat at Burger King and Dennys. Casa de Ptomaine is where the wise residents eat. If you want a Ripoff Burger (aka Whopper) eat at Burger King.

Daddy Rulz
12-15-05, 06:09
I don't want to burst your bubble but I thought that everyone knew that the best Tex Mex in the world comes from California. More specifically in La Taqueria in the Mission district of San Francisco, or a Marisco's truck in various locations of Los Angeles. Texas has better barbeque though. I'll give you that. Nothing like a big steak soaked in butter.TEX MEX means TEXAS / MEXICO. Sorry bubba I've been to Cali and it isn't the real thing. It's good, fresh well prepared food by fat Mexican Amer grandmothers but it surely isn't TexMex.

Quester: Thanks for the shout out of my home town, Austin has some seriously good TEXMEX (which we just call Mexican food) but without a doubt the best example of the genre I've ever had was at Virgils Drive In in Goliad. Which incidently was where Gen Santa Ana had his ASS whupped thereby bringing the Republic of Texas in to the world. As far as Major cities, I think San Antonio (San Anton to us) beats Austin by a slight margin.

Norman Stormin
01-13-06, 21:13
Next time you order a take out from 1707, stop by Burger King first for a take out. They have a promotion of the "classic combo". Show them your subte ticket and get the second one free. You might not have to kick her out so soon after you've shot your wad.