PDA

View Full Version : Where do you find lobster in BA?

Justmoi
12-01-05, 21:28
I have a home in Cordoba where I reside a couple of months out of the year for vacation, but I spend a little time in BA. The ONLY place in BA that I found that has lobster is Sorrentos (near the Canadian embassy) I have searched all over Puerto Madero and the closest I have ever found were shrimp which they didn't really even know how to cook. So. Anyone? Lobster?

MCSE
12-02-05, 01:45
Argentina is not the right place for lobster, since you'll find cheaper and better on the Caribbean, all the lobster they have in BA is frozen and imported, anyway, I've liked Sorrento's seafood (the one at la Recova, Retiro) but I did not order lobster since I guess you've spent US$200+ (I guess 2 people, plus wine, etc) I'm I wrong? Lobster is top top top in Argentina. While pizza bill may be 20 pesos at Romario (very good pizza) seafood bill (paella valenciana) at Plaza Mayor (San Jose close to Av. De Mayo) cost was 173 pesos.

I've seen lobster on the menus at novecento (Las Canitas, Baez and Argibel) and Japanese style lobster (also on the menu) at Moshi Moshi (Again las Canitas on Ortega why Gasset) honestly I prefer saving for my travel to bring down the 328 Ci BMW, but I tell you this: You should go to Catalina, in downtown (Reconquista and Tres Sargentos corner) pull out your wallet and tell me if they know how to cook the lobster. Regards.

Justmoi
12-02-05, 04:26
Me? Cook? LOL! Silly man!:)

I always stop in BA on my way to / from Cordoba and I ALWAYS make a stop at Sorrento with my good friend Allison (since that's the only place I know that serves lobster) Typical Argentine, she hates lobster. Typical Californian that I am (though I was born in Cordoba) I LOVE lobster. The lobster plate there is only $140 pesos and when all is said and done, dinner on my own there is usually around $200-250 pesos. With Allison around $300-$350. A good Lobster dinner plate at a decent place here in Los Angeles costs me around $85 and when all is said and done, dinner tab comes to around $150. So, BA is still a bargain for me (as much as I try to explain that to Allison since she thinks I'm nuts to spend as much as I do on dinners)! My kitchen (s) have rarely been used. I eat out nightly (daily as well) - been doing so for the past 15 years or so (I'm 42) so me cooking isn't even a consideration! LOL!

There is a fabulous place in BA that opened a couple of years ago called Uno (I believe). The chef there used to be a private chef to the stars in Hollywood then moved back to BA because he missed his family. One of the NICEST guys I've ever met. I waltzed into his restaurant last time I was in BA and ribbingly complained that no one in BA knows how to cook shrimp. The waiter mentioned something to the chef while I was deciding what to order. I guess the chef took it as a challenge because he gave me a bottle a wine and told me to be patient... Considering shrimp wasn't even on the menu, he had someone go out and find some shrimp and made me one of the most delicious shrimp dinners I have ever tasted to this day. Stupid as it may be, I forgot his name already, but I do thinkthe name of the place was called Uno. It was recommended to me by the desk at the Etoille where I typically stay. The waiter was rather surprised what I tipped the chef, but it was that good! Will defiinitely be going there again when I pass through BA this month! :) MMmmmm!!

Hunt99
12-02-05, 12:14
Could it have been "Tomo Uno", on Carlos Pellegrini, near the Obelisk? Upstairs on the first floor, above a hotel?

Justmoi
12-02-05, 12:41
Nope. Just "Uno" rings a bell. It is a standalone place away from the center of the city. It was in a nice little area. I'll verify the name when I'm in BA in a couple of weeks.

Member #1164
12-02-05, 16:03
Can you let me know also I have been living here for the past few years myself and never found a restaurant that sold loberster till I saw this post. In regards to that shirmp place let me know. I love seafood and its hard to comeby good seafood in BA, especially shrimp.

MoonDog
12-02-05, 16:24
Can you let me know also I have been living here for the past few years myself and never found a restaurant that sold loberster till I saw this post. In regards to that shirmp place let me know I love seafood and its hard to comeby good seafood in BA especially shrimp.Try the restaurant, Plaza Major (Pronounced, Plaza Mayor) at the corner of Venezuela and San Jose. I'm not sure about lobster, but they do offer good seafood there.

Moondog

MCSE
12-13-05, 04:58
Try the restaurant, Plaza Major (Pronounced, Plaza Mayor) at the corner of Venezuela and San Jose. I'm not sure about lobster, but they do offer good seafood there.

MoondogI totally agree. Plaza Mayor it's great, also famous for the pan dulce, it's a spaniard food specialized restaurant. I'm almost sure they do not have lobster, but try the paella or cazuela de mariscos. Ambience it's great but it's very expensive.

Plaza Mayor it's on san jose and venezuela. About 4 blocks away, there is another spaniard sea food restaurant over avenida de mayo, "El Asturiano", and it's cheaper, but ambience it's not same.

Hound
12-17-07, 17:29
At Dora, 1076 Reconquista. Priced at $285p. No I didn't fat finger the keyboard--285p. Also offered are both Iranian and Russian cavier. Market price.

The restaurant is a short and nearly equidistant walk from Marriott's Plaza and Sheraton BA Hotel and Conference Center. If BA has a geographical epicenter for foreign corporate credit card account holders it would probably be be really close to here.

Aqualung
12-17-07, 21:06
Lobster is almost impossible to get in BA, but for seafood you have Tancat on Paraguay between Maipu and Florida - It's not cheap but has possibly the best Gambas Al Ajillo I have ever tasted.

Another great seafood restaurant is Taberna Vasca on Chile street between Tacuarķ and Bernardo de Irigoyen.

I'm sure that if you ordered in time, Tancat could get lobster for you.

TejanoLibre
12-17-07, 21:22
We have been thinking about placing a live lobster tank in the window and trying to serve grilled lobster and a few other dishes.

I have not looked into it lately though. I know that I can get rabbits, alligators, nutrias, carpinchos, pheasants, ducks, shark, buffalo, ostrich, etc, etc.

I still hold the record in Houston, Texas for eating 22 lobsters and drinking 11 Coronas in a single meal! They were about 1.5 pounds each.

It hurt like hell but they took my picture and gave me a free t-shirt!

Lobster in BA! Hell yes! I will look into it soon. After the x-mas dinner and New Year's dinner / parties.

Take Care,

Ramiro

Lgover
12-17-07, 23:21
I love the Paella & cazuela at La Grana Taberna.

An excellent seafood place with huge portions.

I recall seeing "Langostino" in the menu.

Not sure if it is grilled.

A "Puerto Nuevo style Langostino" would be great in BA.

Rock Harders
12-17-07, 23:32
Lgover-

Sorry to burst your bubble, but langostinos are shrimp not lobster. Lagosta is the word for lobster in castellano. I would not recommend anyone to bother eating lobster in Buenos Aires. If you can find it at all it will be ridiculously overpriced for a piece of shit quality lobster. I just got back recently from Cuba where you can have the owner of a casa particular cook you two of the most ridiculously monstrous lobster tails (over a pound each) for a whopping $12 USD total. Go to Cuba for lobster, Buenos Aires for steak.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Lgover
12-20-07, 22:37
My spanish is improving but isn't "camarones" = shrimp?

Thanks dirk for the cuba specials.

Aqualung
12-21-07, 00:56
Langostino or Gamba is Prawn.

Langosta is Lobster but it is also the insect Locust.

Camaron is Shrimp

BundaLover
12-21-07, 04:25
Lgover-

I just got back recently from Cuba where you can have the owner of a casa particular cook you two of the most ridiculously monstrous lobster tails (over a pound each) for a whopping $12 USD total. Go to Cuba for lobster, Buenos Aires for steak.

Suerte,

Dirk DigglerThe best food I had in Kuba was when the owner asked if we would him to prepare the dinner. After the crap at the restraunts we figured how bad could it be? OH MY GOD we actually ate until we couldnt anymore of fish and lobster. That was in Cienfuegos. Actually Kuba has another kind of tail that is just as sweet.

Facundo
12-21-07, 07:54
Jumbo, the supermarket chain, has a 2 pound frozen lobster (langosta) for sale in the frozen fish section for AR$235 pesos. I can't imagine anyone buying it.

By the way, the fresh fish section of Jumbo has some of the best fresh fish I've tasted in Buenos Aires. For example, fresh sea salmon from Chile is between 39 and 49 pesos per kilo.

I've been to just about every restaurant in BA that serves fish and I've never found a restaurant that cooks fish properly. Therefore, about 3 times a week I cook fish at home.