PDA

View Full Version : Terra del Fuego, Patagonia and Lake District

Boxer
12-13-05, 23:38
Heading south to Ush. On one way flight later this week.

Plan to stay in Ush and then head northwest to Patagonia and Lake District--, San Martin, Bariloche.

Any tips or ideas from fellow travelers to these areas would be much appreciated.

Places to stay? Ground transpo north from Ush to Patagonia and so on?

Good trekking?

Thanks a million,

Boxer

Moore
12-14-05, 00:27
I'd suggest getting a round trip ticket to Ushuaia. I went there once on a charter flight which then continued (2 days later) to Calafate (where the glaciers are) and then returned to BA (1 day later) I beleive such charters are rare. Ushuaia is neat because its at the bottom of the world - theres probably only 4 hours of complete darkness there this time of year. But other than that theres not much to see IMO. It looks like what I expect a typical Alaskan mining town would look like. The glaciers, however, are incredible. Much more impressive than Iguazu IMO.

I think ground transportation down there is sparse and crude - like crossing Siberia. The national route 3 outside of Ushuaia is a narrow gravel road. Ush to Bariloche is a very long way - Id guess 1000 miles! Bariloche is a beautiful alpine place and I'm sure there is plenty of trekking there. I strongly recommend flying. And you'll most probably have to connect in BA.

PS I thought you were going to Mar Del Plata?

Rock Harders
12-15-05, 01:34
I was in Ushuaia the last week of October and went on a hardcore, two day overnight trek in some truly amazing terrain. The guide's name was Federico and he works at the Antartida Hostel as his day job. I stayed at Hostel Cruz del Sur located on Gobernador Deloqui; you can get in touch with the guide Federico by having the hostel owner, Luca (italian guy living in Ushuaia) call his cellphone. Both Federico and Luca speak perfect English. If you make it to the Hostel Cruz del Sur and see two girls, one blonde named Fernanda, the other a brunette with glasses named Karina (they are best friends that were living at the hostel) see if the blonde looks pregnant because I fucked her rawdog and came inside her before changing my flight to the next day so I could get the fuck out of Ushuaia without seeing her.