PDA

View Full Version : Way Down South

Moore
12-14-05, 19:42
There are a couple of remaining places Ive been meaning to cross off my "to visit" list while being conveniently stationed in BA - the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas if you're Argentine) and Antarctica. I'm planning to travel somewhere in Jan. Or Feb.

Both destinations seem hard to reach, but the Falklands seem relatively much more feasible. On the internet I can see that there are weekly (Saturdays) flights between Rio Gallegos, Argentina and the Falklands on Lan Chile. And there are almost daily nonstops from BA to RG. The problem is, Saturday to Saturday seems like a very long time to pass on those small islands. 3 days would be much better. Does anyone know if there are other means (other airlines, ships) to travel back from the islands to the mainland midweek?

Antarctica is more of a long shot. Ive seen that occasionally there are charter flights from Ushuaia or Punta Arenas, Chile. But the flights seem sporadic and from what Ive seen very expensive (about US$2k) Ive seen cruises, but have no interest in that since they generally last 10 days or more. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Moore

Hunt99
12-14-05, 20:22
There are some floozy penguins in Antarctica. But no Burger Kings.:(

Rock Harders
12-14-05, 22:25
I was in Ushuaia for a week back in late October and researched the possibility of making a trip to Antarctica. There are essentially three options, two of which are only somewhat feasible, and the other more of a longshot. First, you can take a flight on a modified Aerea Fuerza Argentina Hercules C-130 Cargo jet, which leaves about 5am from Ushuaia, lands at the joint Argentine-Chilean military camp in Antarctica, and returns in the afternoon to Ushuaia. The cost of this one day trip is ridiculous, about $2000 USD, and the sightseeing is limited to the territory within the base. The second option is to take a Cruise, which are in the 10 to 14 day range, and cost more or less the same as what an Alaskan Cruise would cost, basically a minimum of $2500 USD- Expensive, however I was advised that this is the best option because the sights you see are worthwhile. The third, and almost totally unfeasible option for most, is to get a job as a crew member on either a fishing or supply vessel that is going to Antarctica. I only know about this because my trekking guide in Ushuaia resorted to this measure because he did want to cough up the large sum to visit Antarctica.

One last thing regarding flights to Las Islas Malvinas- I am under the impression that the Argentine government does not even allow use of its airspace for any plane landing in Las Islas Malvinas, let alone a direct flight from an Argentine airport. I think that it is necessary to fly from a Chilean airport in order to reach Las Islas Malvinas. I am not 100% positive about this, however.

Moore
12-14-05, 23:21
Thanks DD,

Yes I remember seeing something about the Hercules C130 flight a while back but now I can't find the company that offers / offered it. Id like to find out.

Regarding the Falklands, I thought the same thing about the restriction on Argentine airspace. Actually I was certain that I had read it quite recently. But I can see on Lan Chile that there is a nonstop between Rio Gallegos and the islands twice per month. The flight originates in Punta Arenas, Chile, stops in RG, and then goes to the islands. Listed as a 90 minute hop between RG and the islands which is about right.

MCSE
12-15-05, 00:38
I am not 100% positive about this, however.After the war in 1982, no flights from Argentina to Malvinas (Falklands) but this year as Moore said was the first flight from Argentinean territory to Malvinas by LAN, and the frequency is one per week.

Art Fartzalot
12-18-05, 05:24
Discovery Cruises has several voyages to Antarctica starting approx Jan. 9, 2006, I'm not sure if space is available but went last year and our ship, MV Discovery, which was the sister ship to the old Love Boat TV Series ship, the Island Princess leaves out of BA I'm pretty sure on the 9th heads to the Falklands, (Malvinas) spends a couple days there, then takes approx 2 days to sail to Antarctica. Base cost could start around $4300 this year, last year was much less via a deal Discovery offerred to folks who boarded in Lisbon, Portugal which I did. http://www.discoveryworldcruises.com for more info.

Good time of the year to go, can get off the ship via Zodiac to mainland, last year we visited the Chilean base and separately the Argentina base, because of a 100 mile long plus Iceberg we were unable to even attempt to go to Murdoch Station, the US base.

Better bring a gal with you as there are some gals sometimes on the ships, most are accompanied by someone, not a cheap / low budget type trip, but more of a scientific oriented group IMO. As for Antarctica, one smells the Penguins before they see them, kinda like Iguazu Falls-one hears the roar and thunder of the falls before they see.

We spent approx 4 days in Antarctica, image being on Love Boat in Antarctica and this was kind of like it was, coming back about half the ship got seasick crossing the Cape of Good Horn as the waves were high and the ship bouncy. We docked at Usuhaia-seemingly a great place for about 6 hours then flew to BA where I spent most of my free time goin to Orleans then going to transito' or bringing back to my hotel.

Glad I went one time to Antarctica, a beautiful place, kind of cool climate. I'm not ready to go back this trip though at some point in time would consider returning.