PDA

View Full Version : Street Crime

Skip1
12-21-05, 00:56
I got stuck up at gupoint (not sure if the gun was real) in Boca. Got my bag, $, camera, and most inconvenietly, my LP Argentina book. They are not for sale at all here.

Anyone in BA that can give me a look at their LP book would be doing me a great favor. Shoot me back a private message or call me at my Hotel Dos Congresos at 4372 0466 room 109 anytime, email me at heevay at yahoo dot com, or give me a way to contact you.

I promise you true tales and free beer

Jaimito Cartero
12-21-05, 09:17
I got stuck up at gupoint (not sure if the gun was real) in Boca. Got my bag, $, camera, and most inconvenietly, my LP Argentina book. They are not for sale at all here.

Anyone in BA that can give me a look at their LP book would be doing me a great favor. Shoot me back a private message or call me at my Hotel Dos Congresos at 4372 0466 room 109 anytime, email me at heevay at yahoo dot com, or give me a way to contact you.

I promise you true tales and free beerSorry to hear about your ordeal. If you can post a bit more about how / when this happened, perhaps others can learn from it and avoid it!

Skip1
01-26-06, 18:54
More on the great stickup. I went to Boca and wandered around the tourist-tango area near the river and then walked along the river to the right as you face the river for about 1km were the old derelict boats are with no problem at all. The next day I came back and did the tango area again, had some pizza in a very local place just outside the tango area bought some bootleg CD's from a very nice guy at a stand and walked along the river to the left as you face the river – also no prob.

BUT after about 300 meters to the left at the old disused big rusty steel bridge structure that is in all the tourist pictures, there are little boats that run across to the other side of the river. It is a very short distance – less than 100 meters to the other side. The boats are rowboats and very picturesque and well maintained. They look very atractive and legitimate. BE WARNED on the other side of the river, were they go, is one of the most dangerous places in BA – maybe in all of Argentina. It's called ISLA MARCEL. I was suck up at gunpoint almost immediately as I got off the boat – within 30 meters.

When I told my Argentine friends about it they thought it was almost funny that I managed to find the worst are in BA by accident - a place "where no tourists go and no Argentines go". This is a really lawless area that even the cops keep away from.

The thing about it is that the boats look so innocent – as if they were designed to look cute for tourists. At a minimum, those boats should be barred from taking ANY foreigners and warning signs should be posted. This is a major danger.

Moore
01-27-06, 01:12
From what I remember, most of Boca is a dodgy area. I explored it and the surrounding area once when I just moved here.

Can you think of anything that may have set you off as a "mark" for these guys?

I'm not saying this necessarily applies to you, but its fairly common to see foreigners walking around relatively poor areas with "Please Jack Me" plastered all over them. Cameras around neck, clueless looking, Indiana Jones hats, audible English / French / German, visible "waistpacks" undoubtedly stuffed with cash, etc.

Andres
01-27-06, 01:38
More on the great stickup. I went to Boca and wandered around the tourist-tango area near the river and then walked along the river to the right as you face the river for about 1km were the old derelict boats are with no problem at all. The next day I came back and did the tango area again, had some pizza in a very local place just outside the tango area bought some bootleg CD's from a very nice guy at a stand and walked along the river to the left as you face the river – also no prob.

BUT after about 300 meters to the left at the old disused big rusty steel bridge structure that is in all the tourist pictures, there are little boats that run across to the other side of the river. It is a very short distance – less than 100 meters to the other side. The boats are rowboats and very picturesque and well maintained. They look very atractive and legitimate. BE WARNED on the other side of the river, were they go, is one of the most dangerous places in BA – maybe in all of Argentina. It's called ISLA MARCEL. I was suck up at gunpoint almost immediately as I got off the boat – within 30 meters.

When I told my Argentine friends about it they thought it was almost funny that I managed to find the worst are in BA by accident - a place "where no tourists go and no Argentines go". This is a really lawless area that even the cops keep away from.

The thing about it is that the boats look so innocent – as if they were designed to look cute for tourists. At a minimum, those boats should be barred from taking ANY foreigners and warning signs should be posted. This is a major danger.It is called "Isla Maciel" and it is certainly very dangerous.

Andres

El Perro
01-27-06, 02:37
Not in your category, but had my rented cellphone swiped off my belt by a swift moving, bicycling ladron tonight. Just less than a block away from Exedra, walking with Emilia, a sweet little mexicana to catch a cab back to my place. I heard snatch and grab was the main MO down here. Didn't take me long to see it in action.

The dog

Skip1
01-27-06, 04:19
Yeah I was taking pics of the steel bridge with a small digital camera and was, I supose, clearly a foreginer. My point is that the area and partularly the boats did not look dangerous. I've travelled to all kinds of places and you have to make judgment calls all the time an this one looked ok. That's why a warning is needed at that particlar spot.

Skip1
01-27-06, 04:27
An argentine friend of mine, middle class guy in his 30's, told me that Isla Maciel used to be an ok old neiborhood 20 years ago - his grandparents lived there but it turned bad as the the old timers moved out.

El Perro
01-27-06, 12:33
More info re: my stolen cellphone. I got a new phone today from Phonerental, the company I opted to deal with on a short term basis here. Bad news-in the fine print I am responsible for half of replacement costs (plus taxes) on the stolen phone. I ain't shaming myself with the exact figure out of my pocket, but it was substantial. Don't let your phone get stolen!

Thomaso276
01-27-06, 21:50
Cheap cell phones here go for 100 pesos. Check Clarin and La Nacion for daily sales and see if they over charged you for the same model.

El Perro
01-27-06, 22:21
Will do, thanks for the info.

Andres
01-27-06, 22:34
An argentine friend of mine, middle class guy in his 30's, told me that Isla Maciel used to be an ok old neiborhood 20 years ago - his grandparents lived there but it turned bad as the the old timers moved out.Skip1:

Isla Maciel was always dangerous, although not as extreme as nowadays. In fact, some minor companies operate there, and the Club Atletico San Telmo has its stadium in the heart of the island. Thus, some people should be able to go to work or watch a game without much hassle.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Breakawaytx
09-14-06, 20:50
I hate to revive an old threat, but my experience today warrants it.

I was having lunch alone at La Strada near V. Lopez and Junin today around 2:30. About twenty minutes after sitting down, some men rode up to the entrance on a motorcycle and one jumped off and ran into the restaurant. I only saw him in my peripheral vision for a split second before he hit me very hard in the face. He then began pulling at my watch, which was pretty nice, and I stood up and swung back. At that point, his friend donkey punched me in the back of the head and I sort of grayed out for a minute. When I regained my senses, they had taken off on the bike.

I have a fractured orbit and quite a lot of soreness, but am otherwise okay. The police believe that I was followed for some time prior to the attack, since my table could not be seen from the sidewalk, and that I was very lucky. They said that these attacks are usually conducted with either a gun or knife involved.

I've no idea how they zeroed in on me, other than the fact that I am dressed nicely, but I have taken normal precautions on this trip (radio taxis, not pulling out maps in public, etc. Anyway, be safe out there!

If you see me out and about, say hi. I am the mellow American with a big shiner.

Moore
09-14-06, 20:57
What kind of watch? Did they take your wallet, too?

That area is usually patrolled, isn't it?

El Perro
09-14-06, 21:01
Sssshhhhh! There's no crime in BA!;)

Breakawaytx
09-14-06, 21:14
PM out, Moore.

Edited to add: The restaurant refused to call the police, which I thought was odd, but they did call an ambulance. The hospital called the police after I arrived and they came to the ER to take my report.

And no, they did not even reach for my cell phone or bag. It was very, very fast and almost surgical.

Moore
09-14-06, 21:27
What did they look like? Age, clothes, race, size?

El Perro
09-14-06, 21:29
PM out, Moore.

Edited to add: The restaurant refused to call the police, which I thought was odd, but they did call an ambulance. The hospital called the police after I arrived and they came to the ER to take my report.

And no, they did not even reach for my cell phone or bag. It was very, very fast and almost surgical.The restaurant doesn't want the bad pub. Good luck to you. As an aside, there is clearly an increase in crime in the tonier areas of Capital Federal. Not that my castellano is worth a damn, but if you only read the BA Herald you won't get the info about increasing street crime in Palermo, and as noted here by Breakawaytx, in Recoleta. I am definitely not an alarmist, but the advise about dressing down and leaving the Rolex at home is advice well taken.

Dickhead
09-14-06, 21:31
Normal precautions would include not wearing a fancy watch, I would think. I'm sorry you had that experience. I wonder if those were the same "world's best thieves" that robbed Saint. The locations are very similar.

I fail to see how you were lucky. I also wonder if your Black chica set you up. She was in your pad, she saw your watch, she told some of her friends to watch your place, etc.

Moral of the story: Be like me. Dress like shit.

Coach 245
09-14-06, 21:35
I am staying just around the corner from where you were attacked today. I was in session at 2pm with a favorita or I might have been on your sidewalk or possibly even in that cafe at that time. I normally eat lunch around 2 - 2:30pm. I like to stay close to my apartment so I usually dine at one of the restaurants near Vicente Lopez next to the Recoletta Hotel! I'm sorry this happened to you and I'm even sorrier about the response by the police.

Coach

Breakawaytx
09-14-06, 21:35
What did they look like? Age, clothes, race, size?I couldn't really say much, aside from stocky, middle-aged men, since I didn't see the first punch coming. Definitely not kids, though.

As an aside, every single porteno guest at that restaurant came over to offer assistance and their personal apologies for what happened. They were clearly mortified. I still love this country and its fine people.

BadMan
09-14-06, 21:53
Hey does anyone know what the law in BA is regarding carrying mace or a stun gun. I usually dress casual, but I sometimes wear nice watches and sometimes dress nice. I am just wondering because I don't mind getting into a good ol' scrap but if there are usually multiple attackers or they have a weapon, a nice stun gun or mace might do some good.

Badboy

Breakawaytx
09-14-06, 22:00
Hey does anyone know what the law in BA is regarding carrying mace or a stun gun. I usually dress casual, but I sometimes wear nice watches and sometimes dress nice. I am just wondering because I don't mind getting into a good ol' scrap but if there are usually multiple attackers or they have a weapon, a nice stun gun or mace might do some good.

BadboyI don't know the laws here, but consider this:

A stun gun is a contact weapon - meaning that you have to be within arm's reach to employ it. So, if your attacker is armed, you will probably get shot or stabbed. Plus, they are not consistent when layers of clothes are involved.

Mace is a straight up joke. I had a pissed off GF mace me once just for spite, and it did nothing more than make me really angry.

Unless they are unarmed, just give them what they want and live to tell the tale.

Punter 127
09-14-06, 22:14
Lets see first this guy goes to Black, breaks every rule in the book, and then gets mugged inside a Recoleta restaurant. He has a grand total of four post, and two of those are follow ups. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:rolleyes::confused:

BadMan
09-14-06, 22:21
I don't know the laws here, but consider this:

A stun gun is a contact weapon - meaning that you have to be within arm's reach to employ it. So, if your attacker is armed, you will probably get shot or stabbed. Plus, they are not consistent when layers of clothes are involved.

Mace is a straight up joke. I had a pissed off GF mace me once just for spite, and it did nothing more than make me really angry.

Unless they are unarmed, just give them what they want and live to tell the tale.Thanks for the comments, though I would still like to know what the laws in BA are.

I have personally used stun guns and mace and they work extremely well. I don't really know what you are talking about. If you get mace directly in someones face, they can't see, some people get violent allergic reactions on contact, I have personaly seen some people almost die when taking a full shot in their mouth. I have taken a few shots myself at a few night clubs by some scurred bouncers in LA, and even though it didn't cause any real damage, it completely impaired my ability to fight, dude I couldn't see shit. And my dumb mother fucker friends poured bottled water on my face, which only made shit worse. So umm, if anyone is willing to test Breaks theory out just PM me, I have a face full of mace for you, lets see if it only makes you "angry". You need to know how to use it ofcourse, just like any weapon, but if used properly it can work.

Sorry but I love that stuff, and you are correct about stun guns being mainly used for close contact, but umm, they have many kinds of stun guns and some you can shoot at quite a nice distance. But one of my favorite techniques is pulling out the stun gun and instead of swinging back, I would much rather get a clear shot of the jugular or carotid.

I am not advocating anyone" fighting back " when getting robbed, I am mainly asking if anyone knows what the laws are in BA regarding such weapons for MY own personal safety. If someone doesn't think these things work thats fine with me, from my own personal experience, I think, when used properly, they work just fine.

Badboy

Breakawaytx
09-14-06, 22:22
Lets see first this guy goes to Black, breaks every rule in the book, and then gets mugged inside a Recoleta restaurant. He has a grand total of four post, and two of those are follow ups. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:rolleyes::confused:If you have a problem with me or with my responding to questions, just say so. Not that I really care.

Bangkok Dave
09-14-06, 22:43
PM out, Moore.

.Maybe this is why the bald guy at El Yugo keeps the door locked?

SanteFe
09-14-06, 22:47
I wouldn't doubt that when you paid the 300 usd for a chica in Black it caused a flag to go up ending with you being robbed. They probably figured if a guy can pay that for a chica he must have stuff worth stealing. When a chica demands 200p and I walk away with 150p being my starting and ending offer nobody suspects I am worth robbing.

Dickhead
09-14-06, 23:39
Pepper spray ("Halt") is a good alternative to Mace and you can use it on dogs. It has the added advantage of containing a dye that marks the assailant.

Now I remember I was confusing Saint's "world's best thieves," who were not on a motorbike, with the guy who got his "Rolodex" stolen off his wrist in that neighborhood. Those were the guys with the same M. O.

Timba8
09-02-07, 23:41
I'm not sure where I read about it, but one of the crime modes in BA is to spray an oil / mustard / spice / recipe on unsuspecting tourists. Someone comes by to offer "help" and uses the opportunity to grab wallets, purses, cameras, backpacks, etc.

Yesterday, I was walking down Libertador on my way to the Retiro Station. A middle-aged man pulled on my arm and pointed out a large blotches of muddy looking stuff on my pants. I immediately distanced myself from him and he jumped into a car that was conveniently parked on the curb nearby.

I told someone else about the incident and they immediately asked me if I was in Recoleta when it happened. When I said "yes" they said they had heard of a couple of other similar incidents in the past few weeks, but the others had been robbed because they did not realize what was going on.

Cuidado guys.

Redondo
09-03-07, 01:33

BadboyIn Argentina you can do whatever you want.

I would worry more about stuff like metal detectors at boliches.

Punter 127
09-03-07, 12:04
In Argentina you can do whatever you want.So you're telling us in Argentina we can carry any kind of weapon we want?

So I can carry my normal concealed carry weapon, just like at home, I find that hard to believe?

Thomaso276
09-03-07, 12:18
Carrying concealed weapons (slaps, brass knuckles, stun guns, mace, asps, etc) is illegal. I imagine a small pocket knife like a swiss army style with less than 3 blade would be okay but a 4" folding buck would draw scrutiny)

Carrying concealed firearms without a permit is illegal.

I spoke with some cops several years ago and they confirmed.

Punter 127
09-03-07, 12:39
Carrying concealed weapons (slaps, brass knuckles, stun guns, mace, asps, etc) is illegal. I imagine a small pocket knife like a swiss army style with less than 3 blade would be okay but a 4" folding buck would draw scrutiny)

Carrying concealed firearms without a permit is illegal.

I spoke with some cops several years ago and they confirmed.Thanks that ’s the way I thought it was but I wasn ’t sure, so I didn ’t want to just say it (Redondo) was wrong.

Aqualung
09-03-07, 13:49
Thomas 276 is absolutely correct and I disagree with carrying mace or stun guns. It's a sure way of getting yourself shot or badly hurt!

Having any sort of concealed weapon means having to be 100% alert at all times. The crooks always use the surprise factor and to try to go for your stunner or mace once you are in the middle of a robbery is the most sure way to get your face smashed in.

If for some reason you do happen to be carrying valuables, the best thing is to keep alert. Look around you, look at the people following you in the face and make sure they know you are looking at them. Do unexpected things like walk halfway down a block and turn on your heels and return.

Crooks usually work in quite large bands. If they have singled you out to be robbed, you will be followed by two or three different people till the place and moment is right then you get "hit".

Of course, if you are out for an evening with a chica such paranoid behaviour wouldn't be advisable. So just carry the minimum you really need for that evening.

Facundo
09-03-07, 20:33

Carrying concealed firearms without a permit is illegal. I spoke with some cops several years ago and they confirmed.Thomaso, I'm not sure you are correct regarding the illegality of carrying a stun gun. As I understand it, here in Argentina you are allowed to, if you care to, carry a stun gun. The internet site below states clearly that the use of a stun gun is legal in Argentina.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-29798818-electroshock-200000-voltios-legal-y-no-letal-_JM

Thomaso, skip the ads for the stun guns and go directly to the section in which they discuss the legality of stun guns.

I thought about buying one when I first started jogging here in the city and started seeing packs of abandoned dogs. After a while I realized the dogs are fairly sweet. Just abandoned by assholes. The other time I thought of buying a stun gun is when I was jogging early one morning in Parque Tres de Febrero and two of Exon's girlfriends, travesties, started jogging next to me in 6 inch pumps, fishnet stockings, boas wrapped around their necks, and with their silicone boobs blowing in the early morning wind. I started laughing so hard at the sight of these two ridiculous travesties I almost fell down. They turned out to be just as harmless as the abandoned dogs.

Thomaso, I've been to quite a few rough areas of the city and so far I haven't had the need to carry a concealed weapon. However, I do, occasionally, think about carrying one.

Redondo
09-03-07, 20:38
So you're telling us in Argentina we can carry any kind of weapon we want?

So I can carry my normal concealed carry weapon, just like at home, I find that hard to believe?I don't know if you legally carry a (stun) gun, but as laws are not enforced in Argentina so you probally can.

I don't know what the chances are of you getting searced in Argentina but I only get searced if I go to a boliche, airport, Buquebus or a soccer game.

I think if you avoid these places or leave your gun at home you will be fine.

Seaman
09-03-07, 21:40
But what the "end result" might be of carrying the weapons.

I think if a crook sees a weapon, there are two possible reactions;

- He will run away! (That is what you hope for)

- He might get a lot more violent, and try to get control over the weapon. (That is what the most likely reaction is) He might think / guess / hope that you do not want to use the weapon. (As written earlier by Aqualung.)

And if you use your weapon to wound / kill the attacker, what will be the legal consequence?

No, I think it is smarter to stay away from the weapons.

Aqualung
09-03-07, 23:00
Sure you can carry a gun all your life and never get into trouble as police don't do random searches but the reason you do carry it is to use it when things go bad. Use a weapon and kill someone (a crook, an unarmed robber and innocent bystander) and you'll find yourselves rotting in an Argentine clink for a few years.

The legislation about carrying stun guns is not very clear but I'll look it up sometime this week.

I can assure you that carrying a weapon is bad news and it never ends well. I know what I'm talking about.

MCSE
09-04-07, 12:12
All you need to know it's in here, there is also an english version.

www.renar.gov.ar

Aqualung
09-04-07, 14:40
Renar only regulates firearms and explosives but has nothing to do with the legislation about other kinds of weapons such knifes, stunguns, mace, knuckle dusters, clubs etc.

And kill the wrong person even if you do have a permit for carrying a firearm and your still fucked.

MCSE
09-04-07, 15:51
If you are found guilty of murder for the 1st time, you can stay as maximum 5 years in prision. If you are 70 and older you can stay at home. This includes killing someone with a car.

Redondo
09-04-07, 16:20
The question probally is do you want to walk around with a gun, probally scared and seeing behind every tree a crook.

Or do you walk around unarmed and take the small risk that they rob like 50U$, because you should not bring a lot of money with you if you don't have to. At least I do.

Aqualung
09-04-07, 21:49
If you are found guilty of murder for the 1st time, you can stay as maximum 5 years in prision. If you are 70 and older you can stay at home. This includes killing someone with a car.I hope whoever is selling you this shit isn't a lawyer or your going to get some very bad legal advice.

1st - Killing someone with your car (accidentally) is "Homicido Culposo" under the article H84 of the Penal Code and the maximum penalty is 3 years and any penalty of three years or less is "excarcelable" which means you don't do hard time. If you are already doing "soft" time when this happens, the judge can add both and then you do some hard time.

2nd - Killing someone with a car or a gun or a kick in the nuts (purposely) is "Homicidio Simple" and you are going to do time for it. The fact that you carry an unauthorized concealed weapon can even be considered premeditated and you are going to do some serious time. A good lawyer can work it so you get a minimum of time behind bars but even five years in an Argentine jail being someone's ***** isn't Summer camp.

3rd - If you are over 70 and have a decent attorney you can do the time in your own home. That is IF you have your own home. If you don't, well look at some hard time till you are deported to your own country.

Of course, the point to this discussion is not if you do three years or if you do 30 years. It's about "Is it worth it for $50?"

MCSE
09-04-07, 22:50
I hope whoever is selling you this shit isn't a lawyer or your going to get some very bad legal advice. Funny reply, in fact if someone (or even yourself) needed criminal advice I have a close friend who is one of the best criminal attoneys at law in the city, very recognized. I wish to be a lawyer myself in the future as well as I have already my profession, but I really don't like dealing with street criminals nor their families, etc. I hope to work on commercial and civil issues.

The info I have posted however it's based on the news, in fact just a small research in google. Com. Ar if you are able to read in spanish will give you an idea, of course a general vague idea about the jurisprudence (a kind of equivalent to the common law) as I have posted, here some examples are: http://www.eltribunosalta.com.ar/edicion-salta/policiales/20070902_212640.php
http://www.eldia.com.ar/edis/20070830/policiales0.htm

Of course, the point to this discussion is not if you do three years or if you do 30 years. It's about "Is it worth it for $50?"But remember that you may also get killed when robbed. It's not just about paying. This is Street Crime!

Aqualung
09-04-07, 23:19
Funny reply, in fact if someone (or even yourself) needed criminal advice I have a close friend who is one of the best criminal attoneys at law in the city, very recognized.I hope the opinions in your earlier mail were your own and not your friend's.

And both examples you give are

First - of "Homicidio del Art. 84 del Código Penal or "Homicidio Culposo"

Second - Lesiones del Art. 94 del Código Penal or "Lesiones Culposas"

Great examples of exactly what I was telling you in my last mail -

If you can't understand the difference I really don't suggest you try a legal career.

MCSE
09-05-07, 00:20
I hope the opinions in your earlier mail were your own and not your friend's.

And both examples you give are.

First - of "Homicidio del Art. 84 del Código Penal or "Homicidio Culposo"

Second - Lesiones del Art. 94 del Código Penal or "Lesiones Culposas"

Great examples of exactly what I was telling you in my last mail -

If you can't understand the difference I really don't suggest you try a legal career.I don't think I need legal advise to express a simple idea Aqua:

The fellas were asking about liability AND weapons carrying INCLUDING fire weapons and that's why I have posted the renar link.

I'm not providing any legal advise as I'm NOT an attorney and I just wanted to expose that the span of time in prision if you are found guilty for MURDER it's "garantista" in Argentina, not meanning the "penal" (criminal) code but the "jurisprudencia" (kind of common law) because very soft penalties are applied, as in the US the time in prision it's longer and in some states it's even possible the prissioner to get killed by the authorities when found guilty for murder.

Again, my source it's nothing but the news.

I have never menctioned the lesiones culposas. That's the way you understood it and I'm sorry if my post wasn't that long and accurate, I have just exposed that you can even kill someone using a car, either accidentally or not.

And thanks for your suggestion but I will follow the career I want as I did in the past and I hope never to deal with death, assesinations, murder, ugly stuff, police, and disgusting things like that. My stuff it's on the side of beauty, models, girls, and things like that.

Aqualung
09-05-07, 00:55
My stuff it's on the side of beauty, models, girls, and things like that.Now that's something we can agree on.

Bacchus9
09-05-07, 02:43
Just a note on this interesting thread, I read today in the Buenos Aires Herald that a guy shot someone that had entered his house and was making a robbery. The shooter was put under arrest until it could be proved he shot the robber in self defense.

I guess the guy should of been more polite.

El Perro
09-05-07, 09:54
Just a note on this interesting thread, I read today in the Buenos Aires Herald that a guy shot someone that had entered his house and was making a robbery. The shooter was put under arrest until it could be proved he shot the robber in self defense.

I guess the guy should of been more polite.Always an interesting question as to when lethal force can be used on someone breaking into your home. Many states in the USA have very different approaches, but the scenario noted above happens in the states as well. I am guessing Thomaso can enlighten about this, especially about his home state. As I recall Texas has some of the "best" legislation in this area. I personally support any law that let's you put a round through anybody who comes into your home uninvited. If you don't want to get shot, don't enter a home that is not your own without permission. Easy!

Thomaso276
09-05-07, 11:04
Florida has beome more self-defense friendly as well.

Punter 127
09-05-07, 11:18
In the past few years many states (perhaps most states) have passed "Castle Doctrine Laws". The NRA has been trying to get these and right to Stand Your Ground Laws passed.

A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept derived from English Common Law, which designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his / her "castle") and / or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. Within the legal paradigm, therefore, it functions as a type of justifiable homicide.I would rather have to explain why I killed an intruder than be dead.

Always remember this; "I thought he had a weapon and I was in fear for my life."

Aqualung
09-05-07, 14:02
Actually, I believe in the individual's right to own and carry a gun. It might have sounded as if I wasn't but it's just that there is a huge responsibility in carrying a gun.

You use a gun in this country and you are going to be held responsible. If you used it correctly your troubles are going to be less but if you use it incorrectly you are going to have to pay (like most every other countries in the World) Never get the idea that killing a person is taken lightly. You'll find many articles in the papers about people getting away lightly but that's why those stories are in the papers because they are unusual cases that make headlines. Ask the tens or maybe hundreds of thousand others behind bars if the local legislation is light!

I agree wholly that sooner or later you will walk from prison but you'll never get up out of the grave. The point is, most of you guys on this forum aren't going to find yourselves in life endangering situations so why risk spending the next three or thirty years of your life in the clink? To defend the fifty bucks in your pocket? That doesn't sound like making sense to me!

And there's defending your pride or honour or whatever you like to call it but I still have to find someone that can explain to me how he defended his honour while he's being ass fucked in Devoto jail.

Punter 127
09-05-07, 14:48
Actually, I believe in the individual's right to own and carry a gun. It might have sounded as if I wasn't but it's just that there is a huge responsibility in carrying a gun.

You use a gun in this country and you are going to be held responsible. If you used it correctly your troubles are going to be less but if you use it incorrectly you are going to have to pay (like most every other countries in the World) Never get the idea that killing a person is taken lightly. You'll find many articles in the papers about people getting away lightly but that's why those stories are in the papers because they are unusual cases that make headlines. Ask the tens or maybe hundreds of thousand others behind bars if the local legislation is light!

I agree wholly that sooner or later you will walk from prison but you'll never get up out of the grave. The point is, most of you guys on this forum aren't going to find yourselves in life endangering situations so why risk spending the next three or thirty years of your life in the clink? To defend the fifty bucks in your pocket? That doesn't sound like making sense to me!

And there's defending your pride or honour or whatever you like to call it but I still have to find someone that can explain to me how he defended his honour while he's being ass fucked in Devoto jail.Anytime someone carries a weapon they need to understand the great moral and legal responsibility that goes along with that. I tend to agree with your post, as far BsAs goes however if I lived here I would have some form of protection in my home.

You should think long and hard before deciding to carry a weapon (not just guns) especially outside of your home country. I don ’t think anyone wants to end up in an Argentine jail, or any jail for that matter, there is a reason they call it the “pokey ”!

Seaman
09-05-07, 14:59
Again, my source it's nothing but the news.MCSE: Trust me I know Aqualung personally, and I can tell you that his sources are way more reliable then the news (papers)

Timba8
09-05-07, 19:08
Hi Gang!

Got my pants back from the Tintoderia. I'm out 12 pesos on this whole deal.

No guns, mace, or tactical nukes required.

Kind of sorry I started the whole thing though.

Facundo
09-05-07, 20:01
Anytime someone carries a weapon they need to understand the great moral and legal responsibility that goes along with that. I tend to agree with your post, as far BsAs goes however if I lived here I would have some form of protection in my home.

You should think long and hard before deciding to carry a weapon (not just guns) especially outside of your home country. I don 't think anyone wants to end up in an Argentine jail, or any jail for that matter, there is a reason they call it the "pokey "!In my apartment I have a state of the art alarm system that has a back-up system just in case they cut the phone lines. I can from any room in my apartment just press a button and in a matter of minutes an ambulance, or fire trucks, or the police will be at my front door. At night time while I'm sleeping the alarm is on the entire apartment except the room in which I'm sleeping. I once accidentely pressed the panic button and the police were at my front door in less then two minutes. The monthly cost for this security is $116 pesos per month.

Punter 127
09-05-07, 22:37
Hi Gang!

Kind of sorry I started the whole thing though.I don't think you should be, I think some good info has been posted, and without anyone getting upset. That's what the forum should be like, IMHO

Punter 127
09-05-07, 22:39
In my apartment I have a state of the art alarm system that has a back-up system just in case they cut the phone lines. I can from any room in my apartment just press a button and in a matter of minutes an ambulance, or fire trucks, or the police will be at my front door. At night time while I'm sleeping the alarm is on the entire apartment except the room in which I'm sleeping. I once accidentely pressed the panic button and the police were at my front door in less then two minutes. The monthly cost for this security is $116 pesos per month.Sounds like a great system at a good price, and if it makes you safe (and feel safe) it's money well spent.

Aqualung
09-05-07, 23:53
No matter how much security you put in, nothing is 100% inviolable. The aim is to make your "target" harder than it's worth or at least harder than Joe next door's.

A steering wheel jam on my old car is as effective as a complicated electronic device on a new BMW. It's just not worth fucking around with for the value of the stolen object!

But a system that not only keeps the bad guys out but can get you an ambulance or a fire truck in minutes is certainly worth $116 a month. Facundo, does your system allow you to punch a button in the case you got a heart attack or something like that? If so, it's something to really keep in mind. Heart attacks kill millions more every year than crooks.

Facundo
09-06-07, 08:24
No matter how much security you put in, nothing is 100% inviolable. The aim is to make your "target" harder than it's worth or at least harder than Joe next door's.

A steering wheel jam on my old car is as effective as a complicated electronic device on a new BMW. It's just not worth fucking around with for the value of the stolen object!

But a system that not only keeps the bad guys out but can get you an ambulance or a fire truck in minutes is certainly worth $116 a month. Facundo, does your system allow you to punch a button in the case you got a heart attack or something like that? If so, it's something to really keep in mind. Heart attacks kill millions more every year than crooks.Yes, it has a medical emergency button.

The firm I use is Prosegur, Tel. 4709-8080. The alarm system and the installation of the system was relatively inexpensive, about $750 pesos for a fairly large apartment of 160 sq meters. I think it's a lot cheaper for smaller apartments because you need less sensors. I added the back-up system (they don't recommend it here in the city because most of us have doormen, security, etc.) that has a cellular phone for an additional $750 pesos just in case they cut the phone wires. I bought my apartment preconstruction and dictated how I wanted my apartment built. I had the architect prewire the apartment for an alarm system. For those of you with older apartments that are not prewired and don't care to hard wire your apartment Prosegur sells a wi-fi alarm system that works really well.

Suerte

El Perro
09-08-07, 21:27
I witnessed the aftermath and "getaway" of what I assume was a snatch n' grab in Recoleta Village this afternoon. I was sitting on a bench having a smoke, killing time before a movie, directly facing the McDonalds. Here comes a young chick running down Junin towards Vicente Lopez, yelling and distressed. She was out of breath and must have been running a distance. I had not noticed any neer do wells running from the same area before she showed up. She seems to give up, and heads in the direction from whence she came. Soon thereafter, I turned my head and noticed a neer do well, who had apparently been hiding behind a long tourist type bus, stroll over to a car parked on Vicente Lopez, open the rear door and quickly throw something in the back street, before hurrying off at a trot. Not 15 seconds later, a guy who had been sitting two benches down from me, get's up, goes over to the car, fires up, and drives off. There's alot of teamwork in BA. License plate GBZ 579. Black on black, japanese number, sporty in a dumb fuck way.

El Perro
09-08-07, 22:06
Also, while sitting in the same spot, I was watching a guy play bass guitar for money. He had a big, clown like shoe in front of him waiting for tips. Three dirty urchins from the depths of hell (I am guessing 7-10 years old and probably from across the tracks) came along and scurried up, eyeing the guy's shoe with bad intent. They made absolutely no pretense about their ambitions. He walked up and kept a very firm foot on the shoe. These are your future, completely without conscience, psychopaths.

Aqualung
09-09-07, 03:39
Yesterday a shop owner was shot in Once district because he tried to stop a crook escaping from a stick up at another shop.

The point here is (still) that you guys can much easier loose fifty bucks than take a lump of lead or spend three months in jail.

This is Argentina's battle, let them fight it!

Aqualung
09-09-07, 03:48
Doggboy,

Just for your peace of mind. I will follow up on GBZ 579 but I bet any money it's a white Fiat Duna or a red VW Gol or something like that

El Perro
09-09-07, 04:10
Doggboy - Just for your peace of mind. I will follow up on GBZ 579 but I bet any money it's a white Fiat Duna or a red VW Gol or something like thatLOL. Not unless they made it to a chop shop chop chop.

Aqualung
09-09-07, 04:26
They will chop everything up except the licence plate and then it's Chop Sui to all.

Hahahahahahahaha

Thomaso276
09-17-07, 11:55
Both work on the same electric principal. Here is an interesting story. Amazing legal system we have - should have let the guy finish his plan!

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD01091707.htm

Shaggyboy
09-17-07, 12:12
I must say that the city gave a quite safe impression to me, even if I just was in town for a few days. In a city / country with these huge economical challenges it would not be strange at all with a lot more crime. This might allso be one of the good reasons to actually visit BA. At least I will return as soon as possible.

Member #3314
11-02-07, 19:23
I was walking home just now and I saw a bag grab and escape via motorcycle.

It was at those restaurants in Recoleta Village, caddy corner from Madaho's.

It was an older couple, the wife had her purse on the chair next to the sidewalk. The guy was about 30 feet in front of me walking towards them and broke into a sprint. He was at full speed by the time he got to the bag. The guy on the motorcycle was at the light. The other guy got on and they blew the light and were gone. This took 5 seconds to occur.

I did not stick around, I did not see the guy but even if I had it probably would not have done any good. I just saw the back of his head. I am guessing early 20's and can run very fast.

I think its pretty safe here but if you leave yourself open something will happen. Be careful everyone.

Capn Rick
11-05-08, 23:18
Thanks to all the posters.

I spent a lot of time in Mexico on the Texas border. Zeta (ex-military working for the cartels) country. I also spent a great deal of time in Colombia. At times, I have had to defend myself, and I have been tempted to carry a weapon. I never carried a weapon outside the US. Now that I am 65 and retired, I may appear to be a better target than I used to. So, I can tell you that I now carry pepper spray purchased locally while carrying more than USD50 on me for special expenditures during the daytime. I also carry a small device that is called a personal alarm. It screeches like a banshee and cannot be turned off without re-inserting the alarm pin. It's kinda embarassing when it accidently gets activated. I haven't had to use it so far.

I have seen some strong-arm robberies on the street in Bogota, snatch and run in Europe (France and Italy) including using a motorbike for escape. I have seen 3-5 person teams rob people on the street in broad daylight. Keeping your valuables out of sight, wearing a money belt between a t-shirt and outer shirt / outer wear makes more sense than carrying a weapon. These guys are good and would probably end up with your weapon, as well as your goodies.

I also have a vest-type thingy for outerwear that literally I have used instead of a suitcase because it has so many zippered and velcroed storage pockets.

At night, things are a bit more complicated. So far, I have been lucky to have never had a reason to carry a large sum of money with me on the street at night. I have seen 4-5 guys grab a guy on the street, and basically strip him down to the skin on the street. There is nothing short of having a culo safe that can protect your money under those circumstances. My MarDel police friends tell me that it is common for 4-6 guys to perform this function, one standing out of reach with a firearm, and the others putting their hands in your skivvies to make sure the odd 10 centavo coin is not overlooked. So, I carry a 100 peso bill to hand to such a group if approached this way, to avoid this indignity. But, I am big enough and ugly enough to get by with it. Your mileage may vary.

There is no substitute for good "situational awareness" and staying out of dangerous neighborhoods, staying in the street instead of on the sidewalk at night, being careful when approaching dark corners, etc. Staying off the streets at night as much as possible is a good idea. Call a cab to pick you up near the door unless you know the area or are with a GROUP.

I asked my police buds about the carry permit process and the laws regarding carrying weapons on the street. Be aware that police don't always know the law as well as they think they do, so take the following with a grain of salt.

- If you are caught carrying a knife, gun or club, or anything that appears to have been modified to serve the purpose of a weapon, it is a violation of the weapons laws. A stun gun is considered the same as a firearm. (Really? I know -right?

- If you have used a weapon on the street and cannot PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that you took said weapon off your attackers, you will be considered to have engaged in premeditated violence. Premeditated inasmuch as you deliberately went out on the street ready to do battle.

- You can NOT make application for a carry permit unless you are a permanant resident or citizen. It doesn't much matter. Such a permit would doubless be disapproved unless a relative is politically well connected.

- You MAY make application for having a rifle or shotgun (not cut down in any way for easier concealment / handling. I asked) for sporting purposes. It is understood that the weapon would also be able to be stored in loaded condition in one's home for home protection purposes. Said firearm may be transported in ones vehicle only for sporting trips. Ammo may not be carried in the same compartment with the firearm while being transported. Forget the "what if" questions. If your vehicle is a van, a lockable glove compartment will suffice.

- You may make application as a permanant resident or citizen to keep a pistol of.38/9mm caliber or smaller handgun as home-protection. No permission is implied to carry the handgun in your vehicle for traveling protection.

I was told that my extensible metal baton and sword cane could be used for self protection ONLY against intruders inside my home. I could expect very close scrutiny for using them, and each incident will be judged on it's own merits.

Saludos

MCSE
11-05-08, 23:34
Well. Recoleta it's not the safest neighborhood in the city. That's why I rather preffer Puerto Madero and Palermo.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/05/21/um/m-01676963.htm

This is about the Armani assault, Alvear ave.

Wild Walleye
11-06-08, 04:43
. I now carry pepper spray purchased locally while carrying more than USD50 on me for special expenditures during the daytime.

There is no substitute for good "situational awareness".

. My extensible metal baton and sword cane could be used for self protection ONLY against intruders inside my homeI have seen pepper spray take down a 1300lbs Alaskan brown bear and suspect it would work well on a mugger. When you deploy the spray, make the sign of the cross in the face of the attacker (to make sure the spray meets the eyes / nose / mouth (exposure to their other mucous membranes require you get their pants off first.

Amen on situation awareness. An old mercenary tactic, when on the streets late night, is to walk near (not too near) a woman walking alone seeing that she should make a more likely target than you.

Did he differentiate between the two weapons, (baton, sword etc) If you use the baton, I would suggest finding a nearby sewer or storm drain and toss it in...

Gato Hunter
11-06-08, 07:53
Well. Recoleta it's not the safest neighborhood in the city. That's why I rather preffer Puerto Madero and Palermo.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/05/21/um/m-01676963.htm

This is about the Armani assault, alvear ave.Everyone knows Armani = $$$. The moral here is don't wear Armani in BA, or Rolex unless you have The Dog and Dwayne Lee with the bear mace to back you up.

Cheers!

Wild Walleye
11-06-08, 12:53
Everyone knows Armani = $$$. The moral here is don't wear Armani in BA, or Rolex unless you have The Dog and Dwayne Lee with the bear mace to back you up.Good point. Doesn't make sense to mug someone who is likely to be destitute (often found in poor neighborhoods) That was why Georgetown (in DC) had such a high incidence of street crime, despite being one of the nicest places in the city.

Been in and out of that store many times and Zegna down the street. Never felt the least bit exposed. The only hotel personnel to ever give me any words of caution was the woman who checked me in at the Park Hyatt (just down the street from both stores) last time I stayed there. She noticed my watch (its a subtle, not-flashy watch--I stopped wearing the diamond crusted Rolex when my gold tooth fell out) and suggested that one might want to avoid making a nice watch too visible in the neighborhood.

That said, I have been out pretty late in that neighborhood and have seen very little trouble (hope to keep it that way)

A little common sense (err. Coming from a guy who runs out to 1707 at 2am, that sounds funny) goes a long way. At an outdoor table at any restaurant, don't leave your phone or any other valuables (camera, pocketbook, etc) in plain sight or within reach of the walking public, on the sidewalk. Late at night, stick to the busier streets, when alone walk near other folks (that don't appear to be mugging people) Also, when you leave a place like Armani or a nice hotel, pay attention to those around you and in particular any suspicious looking muthers who are looking at you.

As a back up plan, if I were to be dispossessed of the belongings carried in my pockets, I always leave my passport, a credit card or two, an extra phone and some cash in the safe at my hotel. Make a hi-res scan of your passport (and a photocopy to take with you) and email it to yourself at an email address you can access from any internet-connected PC, in case you need a copy of it.

WW

MCSE
11-06-08, 13:47
Another one in Recoleta, street crime, http://www.clarin.com/diario/2008/05/02/um/m-01663189.htm

They were pick-pocketing in the mornings and finally arrested by the police, it's not only about Armani.

Stormy
11-06-08, 19:37
Early in May, 2008, I was mugged in the microcenter about 11:30 in the evening near the bus stop close to the Temple Bar on Marcelo T. De Alvear. I had stepped into the street to signal a taxi with my right arm up and as the cab pulled up a hand was in my right pocket and I grabbed his arm and thought "Oh, shit" his arm was like a piece of pipe, very strong. I started to yell and he was too close to hit me, but he pushed me over and pulled out my wallet and as I fell I lunged forward and caught his foot and pulled off his running shoe and he ran off hobbling down the sidewalk. There were tons of people all over. They just stared. I got up off the street and chased him and some young people told me he was at the next corner and he crossed into the "no man's land" between parts of Avenida 9 de Julio. It would have been folly to Chase him there; he was short but very powerful. I would have no chance against him unless I saw a cop and I did not. I still had taxi fare in a little money clip in the other pocket and other emergency funds in a concealed part of my body so that was not an issue. I caught a cab and went to the police station a block from my apartment in Recoleta bearing my trophy of war, his shoe. They were sympathetic, but uninterested and told me to go back to the precinct where it happened to report it. When I didn't seem to understand (I was a little dumbfounded.) The desk policeman called the tourist police and another kindly officer who spoke excellent English told me to go home and try to relax and come to the tourist police office in the morning. I tried to explain that the mugger was in a white track suit, had gold chains and was running around on one shoe, but he said nothing could be done that evening. I was not injured save some scrapes and very sore knees from trying to run after him. (I am 66 years old. ) I lost about 300 pesos and a credit card, which was canceled within 15 minutes after getting home, and a couple of personal items.

It had been a nice evening. An American friend and I had had an expensive dinner (thank goodness) at Tomo Uno in the Pan Americano Hotel which is south a few blocks of where it happened. I would guess that the robber followed us from the hotel as we walked up the street. My friend turned off
to go to his apartment and I continued a couple of blocks further north and decided not to walk all the way home as I have done a thousand times which was probably actually good. When my friend and I parted, I should have just crossed the street and hailed a cab in an area where there are always a lot of police, for example, at Cordoba, right by Excedra. I also realize that, I am old and fat and have very gray hair and was well dressed coming out of an expensive restaurant, like an aging water buffalo among the lions. It could have been much worse. Just the day before I had seen a young man try to leap up and take the phone out of hands of a woman on a bus with the
window open and that might have been a little wake up call, but if that wasn't, this was.

When I went to the Tourist Police the next day, down on Corrientes, I think, they were very willing to walk over to a precinct and help me file a report. Apparently they thought I would file some kind of insurance claim. They were uninterested in the details and said that we could get it over with quickly at a nearby precinct but I would have to say that the crime happened in that precinct, not where it actually did. I was anxious to get on with my life and did so. I, of course, will not file an insurance claim for $100. It was a surreal experience. Certainly they tried to be helpful.

In my neighborhood in Chicago I have seen onlookers make a vigorous intervention with robbers on the street, both physically and on cell phones. You may be assured that you are on your own here. I now try to be extra careful when hailing cabs and entering my apartment front door. I don't
have any credit or ATM cards in my wallet, but I always have 300 pesos because there might be a nice dinner or a woman in the course of the evening. I do not walk alone as much in the evening but made myself go back down into that whole neighborhood the next evening (though much
down-dressed) A friend from Tucuman told me that when that horse bucks you off, you need to get right back on or you might stay spooked. I had not written about this before because I didn't want to make anyone fearful about coming here. I have no intention of leaving. In the end, the robber probably did not profit as his running shoe was an expensive Nike that I understand
retails for more than 300 pesos. But this is not Kansas or Illinois and I remain a liberal democrat, though somewhat more in favor of torture.

QuakHunter
11-06-08, 20:58
I travel with my own private law enforcement team.

No issues so far.

KeithEdwards
11-06-08, 21:33
I have visited 68 countries, and I have been mugged or robbed in 8 or 9.

The worst have been in the EEUU. Do not ever think you travel in a country more dangerous than your own. And yes, I am pretty careful, but apparently not careful enough.

MCSE
11-06-08, 22:44
This time thieves went to the apartment using a tree as a latter.

http://www.larazon.com/notas/2007/01/15/01345549.html

Again in Recoleta.

Capn Rick
11-08-08, 01:38
Saludos to all who share. Especially to WW for the following:

"At an outdoor table at any restaurant, don't leave your phone or any other valuables (camera, pocketbook, etc) in plain sight or within reach of the walking public, on the sidewalk. Late at night, stick to the busier streets, when alone walk near other folks (that don't appear to be mugging people) Also, when you leave a place like Armani or a nice hotel, pay attention to those around you and in particular any suspicious looking muthers who are looking at you.

As a back up plan, if I were to be dispossessed of the belongings carried in my pockets, I always leave my passport, a credit card or two, an extra phone and some cash in the safe at my hotel. Make a hi-res scan of your passport (and a photocopy to take with you) and email it to yourself at an email address you can access from any internet-connected PC, in case you need a copy of it."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Let me add that I never carry more than 300 pesos if possible, I split my money up into different pockets and press handkerchiefs on top to slow down anyone trying to snatch it. I carry a small case with my driver's license, paper copies of passport title page and the visa page (you have to make copies on a diminished size - I believe mine are at 50%) cut them out with scissors and re-copy to get on one page. Then I scanned it and emailed the compact doc page -front and back- to myself at several different email accounts. I NEVER carry a wallet.

A word about situational awareness. I have been traveling internationally for over 20 years without a serious incident. I do not know if my awareness of a bald, heavyset but fit guy in his 40s that was stalking us was due to having a 20 year habit of looking behind me frequently, but the fact my wife and I had just came out of a money changer may have heightened my awareness.

There were too many people on the MarDel peatonal to take careful note, but 4 - 6 blocks further, I stopped on the street corner while awaiting a chance to cross, I did a 360 degree circle and noticed - among others - this bald guy about 1.5 blocks away who was looking intently in our direction. 3-4 blocks further, and he was 1 block away. We made a quick detour, and, sure enough, he was still there and still intently looking at us. I should mention that I am obviously not a native, tho my wife is.

After 1.5 miles of this, I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and stared intently at him. He finally gave me a little wave and took off.

To this day, I am certain that he was either planning to make a broad daylight snatch and grab, or was planning to follow us home to catch us later or rob the place when we were gone.

Keep those cards and letters coming in.

Water Rat
11-08-08, 06:20
Nothing like situational awareness, in BA or elsewhere. The best diversion was the gypsy in Rome who lifted her blouse to reveal her breasts while a kid went for the scoop. Number two was the "what time is it" on the Subte (answer time to get pickpocketed say it VERY loud to attract attention)

Also it is always good to be reminded about using the room safe for passport etc.

The only other tip that I can offer is to carry a decoy wallet. The one you were going to throw away after you bought the new carpincho one on calle Florida. Put some slips of paper in it so that it has some thickness then feel free to leave it in your back pocket. Like flies to meadow muffins the thieves will go for the easy "money". By the time they figure it out you too are long gone.

Like Sgt Esterhazy said on Hill Street Blues "Be careful out there".

El Perro
01-05-09, 18:00
Well friends, things have got a little sketchy on Doggboy's street in San Telmo. Recently, a number of young to middle aged drunks, drug addicts and general neer do well assholes began hanging out on my street. Previously, my street had been the preferred location for daytime dope smokers and some casual beer drinking. It is a cobblestone street with no colectivos and very little car traffic. Quiet, with not much cop presence, except up and around the corner. Over the past 3-4 weeks the drunks have been increasing, with heavy duty daytime drinking and public displays of afternoon barfing for your viewing pleasure. Late last week, late at night, Doggboy rolls home with a slight buzz and near my doorstep I get into a verbal altercation with some mega drunk young asshole with very few teeth and a large beer bottle in his hand. A mexican standoff ensued, he with his bottle and yours truly with an illegal knife. Better sense prevailed, on my part, and I skedaddled into my apartment. No sense putting my personal safety at further risk, plus if the drunk were to get hurt, I would be at fault with my illegal blade and tourist visa.

The upshot-my street has become a free fire zone, and this afternoon when I went downstairs to pick up my delivered DHL package, there are two cop cars directly across the street, and a covered up with a blanket dead guy. This street has gone to hell in a nanosecond and Doggboy will be relocating to swank Recoleta Feb. 1.:)

Exon123
01-05-09, 18:31
I always told you so Dogg, San Telmo is dangerous and I've never liked it.

Exon

Daddy Rulz
01-05-09, 21:43

ExonI agree, pretty to look at but not a nice place after dark.

I was at the antique fair in Plaza Dorrego with some Argentine friends one Sunday. We nosed around the fair a little then went to a little cafe for coffee / drinks. In the middle of the conversation Tommy looked outside and said "Fuck man, we have to go." He didn't wait a second, reached in his pocket threw some pesos on the table, everybody else looked outside and without a word got up and started heading for the door. This from a group of people that usually take about an hour to discuss when they might start thinking about leaving a restaurant.

I grabbed my coat and headed out with them thinking I would see an army of picateros outside or something but nope there was nothing, just the sunset. I asked Tommy "whats up" and he said "Man you don't want to be here when the lights come on." They were genuinely frightened. I just always assumed vampires came out of the sewer or something.

So Dogg, get thee to a nunnery in Recoletta!

El Perro
01-05-09, 21:57

ExonI still think danger in San Telmo is overrated. As for my move to Recoleta, that has been in the works for awhile. I wouldn't want an aberration on my street to sway someone from visiting, or living, in San Telmo. Remember, I have lived here nearly a year and a half without incident until the other night. Daddy-those people you were with were / are pussies!

Exon123
01-05-09, 22:22
President Bush's daughter Jena had her purse stolen there also.

So it can't be safe.

Exon

El Perro
01-05-09, 22:29
President Bush's daughter Jena had her purse stolen there also.

So it can't be safe.

ExonAnother good thing about San Telmo.;)

Daddy Rulz
01-06-09, 12:01
I still think danger in San Telmo is overrated. Remember, I have lived here nearly a year and a half without incident until the other night. Daddy-those people you were with were / are pussies!Lotsa places have corpses laying in the street. I've heard a lot about the corpse counting competitions they have in Palermo. Little kids ride their bikes down Santa Fe counting corpses, whoever spots the most gets a lollypop. Crimanitleys Dogg, yes some of them were pussies and others of them had pussies, it didn't make them wrong. I will bow to the point that you have much greater experience in the barrio than I though.

El Perro
01-06-09, 14:30
Lotsa places have corpses laying in the street. I've heard a lot about the corpse counting competitions they have in Palermo. Little kids ride their bikes down Santa Fe counting corpses, whoever spots the most gets a lollypop.LOL. Well, they got the body outta here before it started stinkin'. Which is more than I can say for the dead dog a few weeks ago at the 152 stop on Paseo Colon near La Boca.

El Alamo
01-13-09, 14:10
The policia are worthless. The last thing they want is to be involved in a real crime.

Where is Dirty Harry when we need him? Not in Argentina, that I can guarantee you.

TejanoLibre
01-13-09, 20:09
I just can't take this shit anymore boys!

I come from the land where we have the right to carry a concealed weapon and we have the right to use the damn thing!

That would be The Great State of Texas!

So I have decided to take this matter into my own hands.

I am going to go out at night and personally reduce the crime rate.

I am going to walk around Constitucion with (3) rolexes on my wrist while wearing a cowboy hat, listening to a walkman and talking on an I-phone!

Throw in some gold chains around my neck and a few diamond rings.

When the little MOTHERFUCKERS walk up to me I'm going to pull a ¨Death Wish ¨remake on their goddamn Indian asses!

Charles Bronson or Dirty Harry times 10!

I would like to do this every night in various neighborhoods. Kill at least (1) per night.

Sure sounds like a plan to me.

Kind of makes me a little home-sick!

I may use a samurai sword for a quick and silent effect but I want the scumbags to die a long and painful death!

I'd rather use my Desert Eagle 50. A true hand-cannon!

I could even take special requests and clean-up specific neighborhods.

So now all I need is a partner.

Anybody want to be Robin?

How's about it Aqualung?

Have gun will travel!

Vigilantes to go?

I AM BATMAN!

The policia are worthless. The last thing they want is to be involved in a real crime.

Where is Dirty Harry when we need him? Not in Argentina, that I can guarantee you.

Cowpie
01-15-09, 01:49
Some many deserving ass fucks, yet so few bullets.

Tessan
01-25-09, 03:53
I was walking back from El Alamo a little while ago, and on Uruguay and Rivadavia a guy who looked Dutch and a girl who looked Asian came running towards me, asking me for help, he said that they just got robed of everything the had with them. I ask them what kind of weapons where used, they guy told me knifes. The girl thinks there was a gun, but I think the guy was more calm, so I guess it was knifes. I pulled out my cell phone and called 911. I told the police that we where at Av de Mayo and Santiago de Estero. Then I told the couple we better go there, since it's better to wait in front of a restaurant that is open 24 hours with people, then in the dark street alone.

I've heard bad things about the police here. I was surprised, 2 police cars came within 5 minutes. That's a reasonable response time anywhere. This is the first time I've called the police in Argentina, so I don't know if this is normal or they just happen to come fast this time.

Tmontana
01-25-09, 17:38
That would be a waste of fine ammo. Those bullets are EXPENSIVE. The only way it would make sense to use your desert eagle would be to be able to line up about 5 of the little fuckers in a row before you spend $5 on a bullet:) At least that way you are getting your money's worth. Anyway, I had one and it was a complete pain in the ass. It was not that accurate (the recoil was HUGE) On the bright side even if you did not hit anything the mighty roar and two feet of flame spitting out the huge barrel would scare the crap outta half of the Congresso! Much better to have a nice pair of Walter PP's and a bunch of spare clips in your belt. Suppressed of course so you could go about you business in a responsible manner:)

I actually live here at 1523 Rivadavia. That intersection is 100 metres from my place. It is dark and at night I am not so stupid as to walk there - even with a walther. I have my mother and father in law here with me as I write this and will pass on the robbery to them tho' because it is in my immediate back yard. I suspect it was some of the street crud I see living in the Congresso Park full time or some of the country low lifes from the tenements on Rivadavia around Uruguay. In the daytime there is no problem at all but at night one has to be careful all over BsAs and I think in the neighbourhood especially.

Always fly with a wingman:)

Tmontana
01-25-09, 17:40
Is only about four or five blocks from where that mugging occurred so it is no surprise the cops came quick. What time of night was it?

Tessan
01-25-09, 17:47
About 3:30 am

TejanoLibre
01-27-09, 16:19
I just can't take this shit anymore boys!

I come from the land where we have the right to carry a concealed weapon and we have the right to use the damn thing!

That would be The Great State of Texas!

So I have decided to take this matter into my own hands.

I am going to go out at night and personally reduce the crime rate.

I am going to walk around Constitucion with (3) rolexes on my wrist while wearing a cowboy hat, listening to a walkman and talking on an I-phone!

Throw in some gold chains around my neck and a few diamond rings.

When the little MOTHERFUCKERS walk up to me I'm going to pull a ¨Death Wish ¨remake on their goddamn Indian asses!

Charles Bronson or Dirty Harry times 10!

I would like to do this every night in various neighborhoods. Kill at least (1) per night.

Sure sounds like a plan to me.

Kind of makes me a little home-sick!

I may use a samurai sword for a quick and silent effect but I want the scumbags to die a long and painful death!

I'd rather use my Desert Eagle 50. A true hand-cannon!

I could even take special requests and clean-up specific neighborhods.

So now all I need is a partner.

Anybody want to be Robin?

How's about it Aqualung?

Have gun will travel!

Vigilantes to go?

I AM BATMAN!O. K boys here we go. Today I found a great gun store that will sell me brand new pistols without a single piece of I. D!

WOW!

Done deal!

They are.44 caliber 6 shooters. Remington's or Colt's. Your choice.

Very nice build quality.

Blued, stainless or brass / bronze?

Now I just need a holster!

They are classified as non-weapons but they will blow a huge hole in some little cocksucker!

Non-guns or non-weapons?

Let's ask AQUALUNG. He know's everything.

These are Itallian manufactured working replicas of the old west classics.

Black powder shooters.

I have used them in Texas since the seventies and they will do the job.

Questions for Aqualung:

1. What is the law on these for self-defense?

2. Can I carry them on my hips. Exposed and loaded?

3. Are the ¨balls ¨ traceable when fired?

Let's go shooting boys!

We can shoot ¨cans ¨. Dominicans, Puertoricans, Peruvicans, Bolivicans and my favorite scum.

The fabled Argentineus Domesticus!

Are you ready for some target practice?

And no jokes please. Although they are of Italian manufacture I can assure you that they will not blow-up in your face if you load them correctly!

They are weapons but they are not guns. How odd!

GO CARDS!

WorldTravel69
01-27-09, 16:49
Shit. My teacher lives on near that corner.

I was going to her place three times a week.

That would be a waste of fine ammo. Those bullets are EXPENSIVE. The only way it would make sense to use your desert eagle would be to be able to line up about 5 of the little fuckers in a row before you spend $5 on a bullet:) At least that way you are getting your money's worth. Anyway, I had one and it was a complete pain in the ass. It was not that accurate (the recoil was HUGE) On the bright side even if you did not hit anything the mighty roar and two feet of flame spitting out the huge barrel would scare the crap outta half of the Congresso! Much better to have a nice pair of Walter PP's and a bunch of spare clips in your belt. Suppressed of course so you could go about you business in a responsible manner:)

I actually live here at 1523 Rivadavia. That intersection is 100 metres from my place. It is dark and at night I am not so stupid as to walk there - even with a walther. I have my mother and father in law here with me as I write this and will pass on the robbery to them tho' because it is in my immediate back yard. I suspect it was some of the street crud I see living in the Congresso Park full time or some of the country low lifes from the tenements on Rivadavia around Uruguay. In the daytime there is no problem at all but at night one has to be careful all over BsAs and I think in the neighbourhood especially.

Always fly with a wingman:)

TejanoLibre
01-27-09, 18:50
We can also shoot Mexi ¨cans ¨!

Come on Aqualung. What is the law concerning these toys?

TL

Tmontana
01-27-09, 23:10
Drop yer pistola and the next thing you know they would also be shooting *gulp* AMERI-CANS:)

Honestly - 3:30 am. I am not surprised. I like this area but. At night I take NO chances. I noticed today there is a police station on Rivadavia only maybe 100 meters away from that intersection heading towards Avenide de Julio. I don't walk it at night because the street is all fucked up with sidewalks repairs so I walk the Ave de Mayo instead.

I would rather have a quiet little Ruger 22 head plinker than a black powder / cap gun.

Tejano - I think the flame coming from a black powder gun would scare the shit outta anyone at night here without the bullets even:) and probably just as loud almost as a Desert Eagle too:0

"if it looks like fun someone is bound to try to make it illegal"