PDA

View Full Version : Mercosur Air Pass? Other cheap ways to GIG from EZE?

Chica Chaser
12-23-05, 06:30
Hello everyone,

Well I wanted this, my first post, to be a trip report but I need info before making the trip.

Has anyone used a Mercosur Air Pass?

http://www.globotur.com/mercosur.htm

I want to make a side trip to Brazil, if I come to Buenos Aires, but I'm not thrilled by the ticket prices I see doing searches from here in Canada. I'm wondering whether my IP is noted when I do a search and so I'm getting the "gringo price," I'm seeing $430 return for Jan 31st to Feb 6th.

It looks like, with a $285 2500 mile Air Pass I could just squeeze EZE > GIG > EZE in. Has anyone used one? Are they pretty much hassle free?

Also I'm thinking that maybe it's just cheaper to book through a local travel agent while in BA? Anyone know if it is? For just a three hour flight $430 seems quite steep - even for me with my Canadian wages. For a Porteno that would be over a month's wages wouldn't it?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Chica Chaser

Jaimito Cartero
12-23-05, 14:52
Hello everyone,

Well I wanted this, my first post, to be a trip report but I need info before making the trip.

Has anyone used a Mercosur Air Pass?

http://www.globotur.com/mercosur.htm

I want to make a side trip to Brazil, if I come to Buenos Aires, but I'm not thrilled by the ticket prices I see doing searches from here in Canada. I'm wondering whether my IP is noted when I do a search and so I'm getting the "gringo price," I'm seeing $430 return for Jan 31st to Feb 6th.

It looks like, with a $285 2500 mile Air Pass I could just squeeze EZE > GIG > EZE in. Has anyone used one? Are they pretty much hassle free?

Also I'm thinking that maybe it's just cheaper to book through a local travel agent while in BA? Anyone know if it is? For just a three hour flight $430 seems quite steep - even for me with my Canadian wages. For a Porteno that would be over a month's wages wouldn't it?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Chica ChaserMy mileage program is showing it's 2480 miles, so you're just squeaking in on that one. Obviously you have to make sure that there are no stopovers, and it's direct only.

The link you provided showed that they charged $60 shipping/handling plus some other fees too. That would bring it to $360 or so total. I don't know if you can get around the fees by buying in person or not.

Aerolinias Argentinas flies direct, as do TAM and VARIG. In checking these, it's about $340 RT with taxes. I checked on Gol which flys to EZE, but their prices for next month were not cheap (1000R), and no direct flights.

http://www.voegol.com.br/

You might find a better price or options in dealing with a TA direct in BA.

Chica Chaser
12-24-05, 14:38
The link you provided showed that they charged $60 shipping / handling plus some other fees too. That would bring it to $360 or so total. I don't know if you can get around the fees by buying in person or not.

Aerolinias Argentinas flies direct, as do TAM and VARIG. In checking these, it's about $340 RT with taxes. I checked on Gol which flys to EZE, but their prices for next month were not cheap (1000R) and no direct flights.

http://www.voegol.com.br/

You might find a better price or options in dealing with a TA direct in BA.JC,

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I was losing hope that anyone would do so.

You're right about those extra fees for the Air Pass. I noticed them after posting my question. Makes the pass not a deal at all - at least not for just two flights, out and back. I guess if one was making three, four, five flights within the allowed miles it would then be a good / great deal.

I'd been to all those sites, except TAM's, but just did a search at each again - using Jan. 26th returning Feb. 6th. The best price I got was AP1200 or so. NOT a deal. Nowhere near $340. Mobissimo shows Varig USA at $398. Better but still not great. As I don't think the $340 you mention was quoted to you at a Buenos Aires travel agent you must have used different dates.

It would be nice to hear from someone that has checked with travel agents there. Did you find similar prices to those online? Those on each airline's respective sites? I suppose they must be. I suppose they can't be much cheaper, if at all, or no one would book online; and if much more, especially considering the lower incomes of Portenos, no one would book through an agent. Man people are getting soaked! A similar flight up here, say from Vancouver to Los Angeles, can be had for as little as US$275 or so - return. I expected airfares for similar distances in South America would be lower due to lower manpower costs.

Anyway thanks again JC. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chica Chaser

Jaimito Cartero
12-24-05, 15:29
JC,

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I was losing hope that anyone would do so.

You're right about those extra fees for the Air Pass. I noticed them after posting my question. Makes the pass not a deal at all - at least not for just two flights, out and back. I guess if one was making three, four, five flights within the allowed miles it would then be a good / great deal.

I'd been to all those sites, except TAM's, but just did a search at each again - using Jan. 26th returning Feb. 6th. The best price I got was AP1200 or so. NOT a deal. Nowhere near $340. Mobissimo shows Varig USA at $398. Better but still not great. As I don't think the $340 you mention was quoted to you at a Buenos Aires travel agent you must have used different dates.

It would be nice to hear from someone that has checked with travel agents there. Did you find similar prices to those online? Those on each airline's respective sites? I suppose they must be. I suppose they can't be much cheaper, if at all, or no one would book online; and if much more, especially considering the lower incomes of Portenos, no one would book through an agent. Man people are getting soaked! A similar flight up here, say from Vancouver to Los Angeles, can be had for as little as US$275 or so - return. I expected airfares for similar distances in South America would be lower due to lower manpower costs.

Anyway thanks again JC. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Chica ChaserWell Gol is the only real Low Fare carrier that I'm aware of in South America. I know there have been other discussions of Southern Winds and some other regional carriers, but I don't think they go to GIG. You might also be able to use from frequent flyer miles (usually 15-20k within SA).

I'll be visiting a TA in BA in January checking on some flights to South Africa, but have no experience with them otherwise. Others have listed some info on travel agents in the past, so I'd try and look around a bit and see what you can come up with.

I usually use Travelocity to do most of my searching, but they don't have every carrier listed. If you have some frequent flyer miles, that might be a better option.

Here are all the direct flights:

[KVS Availability Tool - Worldspan: ITN/CWT/US-LA] (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2804833#post2804833)

[CODE]EZE Buenos Aires Ministro Pistarini BA AR [SAEZ]

GIG Rio De Janeiro Int'l RJ BR [SBGL]

Sun 29 Jan. 2006

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A / C St Availability.

--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- -- -----------------------------------------------

AR 1254 EZE 11:20 GIG 15:20 744 0 J7 D7 Y7 L7 B7 H7 K7 M7 V7 N0 Q0 O0 W0 S0 T0 X0

RG 8613 EZE 17:25 GIG 21:25 738 0 C0 D0 J0 Z4 Y4 K4 before M4 H4 Q0 L0 V0 T0 W0 G0 S0

The fare classes (and seats available) show that all the low fares are sold out on these routes (or just aren't sold online, I guess)

Here are some of the different fare codes listed on Travelocity:

Buenos Aires, Argentina Pistar to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil January 29

Airline Round Trip Fare Code View Rules.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 284.00+ NL12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 284.00+ WLARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 284.00+ WLARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 286.00+ SLSPCLAR.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 324.00+ VL12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 324.00+ ILARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 324.00+ ILARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 327.00+ WLSPCLAR.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 334.00+ NH12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 335.00+ WHARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 335.00+ WHARBR.

Airline Logo Lan Airlines SA USD 335.00+ QLELE213

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 338.00+ SHSPCLAR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 343.00+ TLAP21D.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 344.00+ ML12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 346.00+ KLARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 346.00+ KLARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 363.00+ VLAP21D.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 374.00+ KL12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 382.00+ XLARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 382.00+ XLARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 383.00+ QLSX21D.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 384.00+ VH12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 384.00+ IHARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 384.00+ IHARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 387.00+ WHSPCLAR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 396.00+ THAP21D.

Airline Logo Lan Airlines SA USD 398.00+ QHELE213

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 401.00+ KHARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 401.00+ KHARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 404.00+ VHAP21D.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 414.00+ HL12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 417.00+ VLARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 417.00+ VLARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 418.00+ HLPX1MK.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 424.00+ MH12MBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 434.00+ QHSX21D.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 443.00+ XHARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 443.00+ XHARBR.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 454.00+ KH12MBR.

Airline Logo Aerolineas Argentinas USD 474.00+ BL12MBR.

Airline Logo TAM Linhas Aereas S. A. USD 475.00+ ZLARBR.

Airline Logo TAM Mercosur USD 475.00+ ZLARBR.

Airline Logo Varig Airlines USD 478.00+ MLEE2MBK

Moore
12-24-05, 18:37
Chica Chaser,

I am also looking at flights from BA to GIG (and maybe Porto Alegre) for Jan. Feb. You rarely get great deals down here, usually that flight runs about US350-400 even though its less than 3 hours. Bear in mind, the volume of flights (and all other commerce) is much much lower here than in the USA, which is why I believe flights arent so cheap. For example, there are amazingly few flights per day between BA and Sao Paulo, the two most important airports in S America and only about 1200m apart. Compare that to, for example, the Chicago-Dallas route - there must be at least one flight per hour on AA or United etc.

I don't think its necessary to check all the individual airline sites, just use expedia. Com or travelocity which check everything out there. Sometimes you can finnagle with a connection in SP and then to the city airport in Rio and maybe get a better deal, especially during high season.

I wanted to use Delta miles (20k) for this trip but Skyteam has no partners for this route. I think that sucks.

Easy Go
12-24-05, 22:36
I get my tickets through a BA TA (Mayra@argentinatravelservices. Com) but have not found her prices to be any better than I could get from a US TA. But I think she is better at dealing with local carriers like Aerolineas and Southern Winds since she can call the local offices and get questions answered.

Chica Chaser
12-25-05, 01:32
Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Taking into consideration what you said Moore, and thinking about it more, I don't suppose it is cheaper booking through a travel agent in BA. As I said in my original post, I'd hoped to learn that site searches of the South American airlines, done from North America, resulted in gringo prices. It wouldn't be hard to set up such a system, what with IPs being regional and all - and trackable. Like one of you said though, it's probably lack of volume that keeps prices high; high by our standards; astronomical by the locals'.

Chica Chaser

Moore
01-16-06, 07:54
Chica Chaser,

Check out the Aerolineas link below. They have a rt fare special to Sao Paulo for US$225. Ive flown it several times and it rarely gets cheaper than that. From there you can get to Rio city airport easy and cheap.

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/ar/index.asp?idi=es

Bandy
01-17-06, 15:00
Chica Chaser,

I don't know about the flights originating from Canada, but if you fly via American or Varig to EZE from major gateway cities in US (New York, LA etc.), they will allow you a free stop-over in either GIG or GRU. May be you can explore these possibilities. Last trip, I took advantage of this (I used American; GRU to EZE leg they use TAM Airlines) and I am going to do it again in April.

Bandy

Chica Chaser
01-17-06, 15:39
Chica Chaser,

I don't know about the flights originating from Canada, but if you fly via American or Varig to EZE from major gateway cities in US (New York, LA etc. They will allow you a free stop-over in either GIG or GRU. May be you can explore these possibilities. Last trip, I took advantage of this (I used American; GRU to EZE leg they use TAM Airlines) and I am going to do it again in April.

BandyBandy,

Thanks. Unfortunately I have to stop in Buenos Aires before I can in Brazil. I don't have the Brazilian Tourist Visa as yet but I'll get it in BA.

I have been told by a lady that works at the hotel I've reserved that there are many luxury coaches (Omnibuses) that go from BA to Rio. Fare is about 300P. Trip is 40 hours but some (the one I'll be on for sure) have beds. Unless I get lucky with a real cheap flight, say for no more than 400P, that's the way I'll be going to Rio. Hey it'll give me a chance to see some scenery and read my Lonely Plant Brazilian Portuguese Phrasebook - at least the part about Sex.

;)

Chica Chaser

Jaimito Cartero
01-17-06, 17:27
Bandy,

Thanks. Unfortunately I have to stop in Buenos Aires before I can in Brazil. I don't have the Brazilian Tourist Visa as yet but I'll get it in BA.

I have been told by a lady that works at the hotel I've reserved that there are many luxury coaches (Omnibuses) that go from BA to Rio. Fare is about 300P. Trip is 40 hours but some (the one I'll be on for sure) have beds. Unless I get lucky with a real cheap flight, say for no more than 400P, that's the way I'll be going to Rio. Hey it'll give me a chance to see some scenery and read my Lonely Plant Brazilian Portuguese Phrasebook - at least the part about Sex.

;)

Chica Chaser40 hours on a bus sounds pretty brutal. When you figure food, and other stuff in, I think the $225US mentioned here is a bargain. It's over 1240 miles as the crow flys, so probably 1300-1500 miles. Uggg.

I'm sure you could take buses all the way down from the US too, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Moore
01-17-06, 19:44
40 hours, jesus. I wouldnt take it for free. Who cares how nice the bus is, even if you have all the time in the world on your hands. Even if you don't get the special airfare, paying about $350 is only $250 more than the bus. For 37 hours less travel time it seems worth it!

And you'll have plenty of rainy days in Rio to read Lonely Planet.

Chica Chaser
01-17-06, 23:19
40 hours on a bus sounds pretty brutal. When you figure food, and other stuff in, I think the $225US mentioned here is a bargain. It's over 1240 miles as the crow flys, so probably 1300-1500 miles. Uggg.

I'm sure you could take buses all the way down from the US too, but I wouldn't want to do it.From what I see on their site that fare isn't available now and March doesn't work for me.

Chica Chaser

Jaimito Cartero
01-18-06, 00:50
From what I see on their site that fare isn't available now and March doesn't work for me.

Chica ChaserSounds like you're in the Nibu groove. I know he's done some long bus journeys. Report on the journey, so we can all see what we missed.

Chica Chaser
01-18-06, 00:55
Sounds like you're in the Nibu groove. I know he's done some long bus journeys. Report on the journey, so we can all see what we missed.I'll try to turn it into The (BIG) Bang Bus!

:)

Chica Chaser