PDA

View Full Version : Shopping

Quester3
01-05-06, 20:49
Shopping for stuff you wouldn't normally pack and take up space even on long trips abroad.

Wouldn't have started another thread but I didn't see one specific for shopping places, so here it is.

I have a furnished apartment in BA but I figured I needed some extra towels - which turned out to be right as while my place has a good number of very comfortable and clean towels with spare linen, etc. - I miss USA style very-large bath towels, almost beach towel size ones. The ones they gave me are your basic normal size.

Especially since I'll need not just for myself but if I invite that special guest over.

So anyway I went towel hunting and of course, even reading here that it was a tourist trap, I went to Patio Bullrich because that was closest. Home & Harmony store on the third floor has all the apartment linens, towels, etc. That you could want.

Surprised at the prices a bit, basically same as Beverly Hills but it's the same quality on the other hand.

Jackpot
03-05-06, 23:55
I'm setting up an apartment for a girlfriend with a 9 year old boy.

We need a single place bed with mattress, linens for single and double beds,

Small refrigerator, electric fans, and a TV. Also, a desk for the boy.

Any help in obtaining these items would be appreciated.

Does any one have a source for used furniture, TV and refrigertor. Are there any Flea Markets here where this stuff could be found?

The apt is in the Belgrano area.

Jackpot

Dickhead
04-01-06, 17:12
There's a weekly paper called "Segundo Mano" that might be useful for you gentlemen.

DownBA
04-01-06, 21:48
Fellas, for second-hand items you could try looking in the classified ads of www.clarin.com and www.lanacion.com where, by the way, they have ads for used cars as well as lots of ads for masajes and servicio completo and colegialas and universitarias which to me sounds like a really good time. They have musical instruments and furniture and all sorts of stuff you can use around the apartment or casa. Hope this is helpful.

DownBA2

El Perro
11-03-06, 09:26
This is a long shot I know, but I am looking to buy some exotic east Indian clothes for a friend in the states. She likes the high end (of course) long, flowy (is this a word?) dresses. Think a buddhist, Dali Lama loving chick. Patchouli and all that. It's good to spread the love. Any of you cross dressers have some ideas?:D.

Thanks

AllIWantIsLove
01-16-07, 21:35
Couldn't find one at Jumbo in Palermo and couldn't find one in Walmart. Are they available here? Where?

Thanks, Bob

Big Bob 7
01-16-07, 23:17
Did you try one of the neighborhood hardware stores? Also check out the lighting and lighting fixture stores. We have a ton of them where I am around Las Heras and Scalabrini Ortiz. There are about 4 of them that I know of in maybe an 4 block radius. It might be "tres chic" at the lighting store and, as a result, more expensive but I am sure that they will have something. Argentines have to make it to the bathroom to take a leak in the middle of the night without tripping over something and breaking their necks just like everyone else.

Tungurahua
06-03-07, 21:30
A month ago I overheard a German kid in my hostel talk about entire music collections available on cds in mp3 format. Remembered the kid saying later they were great quality cds. Afterwards never thought much about it.

The last few days I have considered the value of such a thing, if true. On Saturday Aristtyp and I went to scope it out, bought a handful of cd-mp3s to test the waters.

I am listening to them right now. Grade-A quality. Wow. Aristtyp and I received a buy-4-get-1-free deal. Each cd as 5 pesos. Fucking incredible, considering each cd is worth $100+ of cds back home.

Take the A-train (subte) to Acoyte station, backtrack 1/2 a block to Parque Rivadavia. There are dozens of book sellers here. Follow the punks to the cd stalls, particularly those that have the mp3 photo-albums (listing all groups / titles available).

Dvds present too. Aristtyp found a couple groups he loved which are hard to get. I found my beloved Dream Theater, five cds worth. In addition bought 2 cds of Yes, 1 of Alice Cooper, 2 of Kiss (music I loved so long ago). I am going back tomorrow to raid the whole goddamn photo-album, buying experimental items I only casually thought about before: Jazz, Trance, Tango, you name it I am buying it.

As I am carrying over a hundred cds of photos already it will be no problem at all to mix these mp3-cds in, to ship them home without a trace.

Jaimito Cartero
06-04-07, 04:23
If you go to Asia, these are quite common there. About the same price you paid in Bangkok, and probably cheaper in Indonesia. I've even seen some that use DVD data disks, which would put 50-75 CD's onto one disc.

One problem that I've run into is that some songs / albums aren't coded with the names, which make it real confusing if you have a 500 gig HD with 100 "Song 1's" on them.

A month ago I overheard a German kid in my hostel talk about entire music collections available on cds in mp3 format. Remembered the kid saying later they were great quality cds. Afterwards never thought much about it.

The last few days I have considered the value of such a thing, if true. On Saturday Aristtyp and I went to scope it out, bought a handful of cd-mp3s to test the waters.

I am listening to them right now. Grade-A quality. Wow. Aristtyp and I received a buy-4-get-1-free deal. Each cd as 5 pesos. Fucking incredible, considering each cd is worth $100+ of cds back home.

Take the A-train (subte) to Acoyte station, backtrack 1/2 a block to Parque Rivadavia. There are dozens of book sellers here. Follow the punks to the cd stalls, particularly those that have the mp3 photo-albums (listing all groups / titles available)

Dvds present too. Aristtyp found a couple groups he loved which are hard to get. I found my beloved Dream Theater, five cds worth. In addition bought 2 cds of Yes, 1 of Alice Cooper, 2 of Kiss (music I loved so long ago) I am going back tomorrow to raid the whole goddamn photo-album, buying experimental items I only casually thought about before: Jazz, Trance, Tango, you name it I am buying it.

As I am carrying over a hundred cds of photos already it will be no problem at all to mix these mp3-cds in, to ship them home without a trace.