PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Ripoffs

Jackson
01-01-06, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Jaimito Cartero
01-11-06, 01:27
I decided to head over the Cabana Las Lilas for my last supper here in BA before I fly out. The food and service were great (Thought the 15p per person cubierto sucks)

Outside there are a line of taxi's, and I grudgingly decided to grab one. The taxi driver seemed to be deaf, and I had to repeat the address 3 times.

Driving there, the other taxi driver had gone out of the way a few blocks, but nothing major. It had cost 5.72 pesos or such.

Going back, we're only 4 blocks from Puerto Madero and it's already over 5 pesos. WTF?

By this time, I know I'm dealing with a fixed meter. It seemed about twice as much as a normal one. The guy almost hit two pedestrians, and one other taxi on the way there. The fare was 9.64p (He didn't go out of the way at all)

I have all my 5+ peso bills in a money clip, and pulled out a 10 peso note. He then starts to hand back a two peso bill and told me I gave him the wrong bill. I told him he was wrong, he just shrugged, and went on his way. It's bad enough he nailed me for double the correct fare, but then trying the old switcheroo too?

I doubt you'd ever get this guy, but he's the fattest taxi driver I've seen in BA. The wheel can barely turn when he's in the seat. He also has some dash mounted guages on the passenger side of the car.

Hunt99
01-11-06, 12:55
Speaking of taxi ripoffs, I had my first one on my most recent trip. The meter in the taxi kept going out. And I would say to the driver, "Senor, your meter is not working." So he would restart it, and in 15 seconds it would stop working again. This happened like 3 times, and I finally stopped reminding him.

So we get to the destination and he quotes me double what I know the fare to be. I knew how much, since the pickup was outside of Black, and the destination was my hotel, a route I took several times on my last visit.

So, I just handed him what I knew to be the correct fare, and like Jaimito, just got out of the cab. He drove off without making a fuss.

Now, even if I had paid his quoted double fare, I would have lost something like three dollars. BFD. But it's the point that counts. And I tend to tip the taxi drivers in BsAs very well, like one peso plus the difference in centavos between the meter and the next full peso. Most locals don't tip anything at all.

Exon123
01-11-06, 14:10
Be carefull in Taxi's in making change and or "Cambio"

Never give them a big bill such as a $100 peso note.

There's lots & lots of Counterfit money that floats around Buenos Aires and 9 times out on 10 your going to get it from a taxi driver.

Moreover, Taxi drivers love "Newbie's" to pass the Counterfit money too.

Exon

Hunt99
01-11-06, 15:05
Be carefull in Taxi's in making change and or "Cambio"

Never give them a big bill such as a $100 peso note.

There's lots & lots of Counterfit money that floats around Buenos Aires and 9 times out on 10 your going to get it from a taxi driver.

Moreover, Taxi drivers love "Newbie's" to pass the Counterfit money too.

ExonThis is true. One of the tricks a newbie has to learn is to keep your spending money in small denomination pesos - 2s, 5s, 10s, 20s. Nobody will ever have change for a 100, except in hotels or restaurants.

Rock Harders
01-11-06, 18:43
I am sure that all guys in-country a long time are well aware of this, but for the inexperienced I will reiterate that you should stick to well known Radio-Taxi companies such as Radio Taxi Premium, Mi Taxi, Tu Taxi, and the like. Taking taxis off the street is fine, as long as they are Radio Taxis from one of the reputable services. I myself will take an independent street taxi from time to time, but only if I am with a group of six or more that is trying to squeeze into one taxi (some radio taxi drivers will not allow this because their insurance will not cover them if some mishap occurs with 7 people in a 4 passenger cab) However, street taxis find their niche here in that they don't give a fuck and would put 10 people in their cab without blinking an eye.

In addition, there is absolutely no need to take any shit from these taxi drivers, or anyone else trying to rip you off down here (in most cases) The typical Argentine hustler will do his / her best to fleece you out of your dollars, but the second you get in their face and let them know who they are dealing with and that you are not going to take their shit they immediately back down and do nothing. No offense to anyone here, but Argentine men are NOT a tough lot, physically speaking, and are easily intimidated.

Dirk

Moore
01-11-06, 18:45
Never give a taxi driver a $100? They, like almost everyone else, often don't have change for a $10.

I take the first taxi I see on the street and dont even notice if its a "reputable" one or not. Never seen any difference and never had any problem in 5 years (maybe 3000 rides) that I can remember. Exception, if its hot and I have a long ride ahead I will wait for one that I see has AC sometimes.

Thomaso276
01-11-06, 21:18
Most taxi drivers will keep some sort of club / tire iron under the seat for protection - intimidation. I have seen a couple pull one out and waive it at another driver or pedestrian in a road rage mode.

I tend to look for well dressed (shirt and tie) older types. Avoid the guy who looks like he just got out of prison - unshaven, 220 lbs, sloppy appearance.

Also watch out for side street diversions. No need to head through residential areas for many monger type trips.

If you feel uncomfortable, just step out when cab stops and throw 'em 5 pesos. Better than being taken to some area for a robbery - usually done by some thugs following or a couple of thugs waiting on some side street.

Overall, very safe with cabs, but probably the best opportunity for robbery other than the snatch and grab of a watch by thugs on motorcycles.

Also noticed lately several bike riders cruising neighborhoods, in groups of two and three. 16 - 20 years old, definitely not Recoleta material. Back in good old USA this was a favorite MO for strong arm robbery. If you see the same guys riding around within a couple of blocks they may be checking you out. Be especially aware if their direction changes while you casually walk a few blocks. Spotted a couple the other day around Montevideo and Arenales.

Belmont Too
01-12-06, 01:52
Thanks, Good Info!

Strad
01-12-06, 02:19
This cabby waited outside of a parking circle between Asia de Cuba and the Hilton. Normally, from Port Madero to my apartment in Recoleta, the fare would run A$R5.00. All the way he drove very fast, and so did his meter - flipped pretty fast. The whole trip I did not say anything, I was observing and amazed, wanted to know how much this guy is gonna rip me off in the end. And in the end, the meter showed A$R10.00, big deal, not even worth to get my doorman involved! I gave him the exact amount but, I did point out to him, "Sir, you meter is not right", he explained something while he quickly drove off.

In all, my experience with BA's taxi drivers was good, most of the cabbies are honest. Before paying my fare, I would always ask the driver to turn the back seat light on, and check the bills (from the changes) into the light right in front of his face. It seems to be rude, but hey, isn't the thing everybody does in Buenos Aires?

Strad.

I decided to head over the Cabana Las Lilas for my last supper here in BA before I fly out. The food and service were great (Thought the 15p per person cubierto sucks)

Outside there are a line of taxi's, and I grudgingly decided to grab one. The taxi driver seemed to be deaf, and I had to repeat the address 3 times.

Driving there, the other taxi driver had gone out of the way a few blocks, but nothing major. It had cost 5.72 pesos or such.

Going back, we're only 4 blocks from Puerto Madero and it's already over 5 pesos. WTF?

By this time, I know I'm dealing with a fixed meter. It seemed about twice as much as a normal one. The guy almost hit two pedestrians, and one other taxi on the way there. The fare was 9.64p (He didn't go out of the way at all)

I have all my 5+ peso bills in a money clip, and pulled out a 10 peso note. He then starts to hand back a two peso bill and told me I gave him the wrong bill. I told him he was wrong, he just shrugged, and went on his way. It's bad enough he nailed me for double the correct fare, but then trying the old switcheroo too?

I doubt you'd ever get this guy, but he's the fattest taxi driver I've seen in BA. The wheel can barely turn when he's in the seat. He also has some dash mounted guages on the passenger side of the car.

Sportsman
01-12-06, 02:39
I usually use a $100 bill whenever I'm paying at normally reputatble places such as resturants or shops. I always make sure I have some $2 and $5 bills and plenty of coins with me. This way I can give exact change to taxi drivers with tip included, and aviod having to worry about receive any counterfeit bills back from them. I do the same thing at privados also, always try to pay with the exact amount.

Cactus
01-12-06, 17:15
I recently spent a couple of weeks in BA. I uesd taxis to get around. In all of the taxis I used I never felt that I was overcharged and was always treated fairly, with small bills only given, which I learned on this forum. If more could speak English it would be better but my experience with taxi drivers was very positive.

Cactus

Jaimito Cartero
01-12-06, 22:48
Well, I've had lots of taxi ripoffs tried on me around the world. It's one thing that's constant. Many will try and hustle you.

One thing I did seriously this time, it to make sure the bank at the airport gave me LOTS of small bills. I got plenty of 20's, 10's and 5's. Trying to get them at other times can be pretty difficult.

I also name the amount I'm giving them, and never give them more than 5 pesos over the amount that they're charging.

I've never gotten any fake money. I think one other time, I had a taxi driver hustle me for the (Oh, senor you only gave me 2 pesos) so I'm pretty familar with all the different scams. I think I'll just stay away from any type of taxi stands (Though, I've never had a problem with the Village Recoleta one) especially in expensive areas.

I got a good driver going to the airport. He quoted me 40 pesos from Congreso, plus tolls. He turned the meter on, and when we got there, the meter read 37 and change. That's all he asked for. I gave him the 40p though.

I would say that a couple of other taxis have fixed meters to some degree. I've taken the same trip from my apartment, and had one come up to 8 pesos, and the other 12p, driving the same streets, and no long traffic delays.

Moore
01-12-06, 23:29
Whenever I get cash at the ATM, I always get p490 (per transaction limit 500 for me). Then I always use 100s when eating at decent restaurants - which is most days - I rarely go to Burger King and there is no Denny's in BA. That keeps my wallet full of smaller bills. Also I find that a small business that knows you well will give you change. The kiosk I use almost everyday will usually change a 50/100 for me if needed.

Mojokpr
02-05-06, 04:58
Whenever I go to the bank before 3:00 pm tp get some pesos, I always just get in line and change the $100's right there at the bank. It's no problem, they do it for the locals all the time. It saves having to change money all the time.

I've never had a bad experience with a taxi driver here except for one that went a long way around one time. Recently I jumped in a cab in Recoleta and told him I wanted to go to Plaza Dorrego and he took off in the wrong direction. I quickly told him that he was not going where I wanted and he said that he thought I wanted to go to another place called Dorrego. When we got to the Plaza, he told me I could pay less than the meter for the lost time. I did check the map the next day and there is a station Dorrego in the direction he was going so it was probably an honest mistake.

Other than that, I find the taxi drivers very honest, and most like to talk to you about your travels, the US, the Governator (when they hear I'm from California) pretty friendly people. I never call a taxi, just grab one off the street, pretty much all hours of the day and night.

It takes everything I got to keep from killing the taxi drivers in Prague.

Stoker Star
12-05-06, 00:37
Taxi service has been great. Never any odd directions. Also giving back the change. On Sunday when I had only 100 peso bills, taxi driver carried me to a shell sattion where he changed bill with the attendant.

All you have to do is give them an intersection of 2 streets and they semmed to be able to get there.

StrayLight
12-05-06, 16:53
I've only had one or two taxis drivers who were obviously trying to scam me on the ride, i.e., taking a much longer route than necessary. As my knowledge of the city and of Spanish has improved, I don't worry too much about that anymore.

But getting counterfeits is still something I keep in the back of my mind. To that end, I try to never get in a situation wherein the taxi driver will be giving me $10 peso notes or above for change. In other words, if I know I'll be taking a taxi, I will make sure I have a $10, a $5, a few $2s, and loose change beforehand. I keep a little jar of that stuff around the flat just for that reason.

Webcams
12-13-06, 01:23
Taxi from Airport to Hotel?

Am I better off hiring a car service or just getting in a taxi, I have heard they might take you off the beaten path and rob you, I am sure you will all get a laugh about the question but I honestly heard that today.

I also heard of how poor they drive scares people to death.

Appreciate any feedback guys thanks.

Thomaso276
12-13-06, 10:58
Call Anna Luna. Do a search for her services and feedback on the board.

Jaimito Cartero
12-13-06, 16:13
Taxi from Airport to Hotel?

Am I better off hiring a car service or just getting in a taxi, I have heard they might take you off the beaten path and rob you, I am sure you will all get a laugh about the question but I honestly heard that today.If you use the taxi booth outside the arrivals hall, you'll pay a flat fee (58 or 59 pesos) to the downtown area. This includes tolls and everything. I've used these taxi's many times, without any problems. From the city to the airport is 47 pesos.

Mo and Ana Luna provide the same service, for a little more if I recall.

The BA taxis do have a tendency to not stay in one lane, but other than that, they're far better than other latin america taxis. (Lima stands out as some of the worst taxi drivers I've ever had)

The Hunter
12-18-06, 01:24
Speaking of Rip off around here,

I did get ripped off once taking a taxi, it happened when me & my buddy partied (we're in our 20's) our nights away in the famous Pacha club on the side of the river. My buddy didnt have a change and I didnt want to break my 100p bill - it was stupid in my part to use that in a taxi later on as it was already 7ish am after the whole night of partying we just wanted to go home. Knowing it would cost 20p for the fare, and 70p, we took the ride and the driver told us he has a change. Ok then, my buddy had a friendly chat with him while I was sitting on the back, when we arrived to our destination, he pulled a stack of cash, and started to pull one 20 and one 10 ok, that was weird mentally and my subconscious mind tried to dismiss the weird part while he pull another stack of bill to pick the 50 bill while he can get it on the first stack. It was dumb in my part for not recognizing the tactic and he gave me the bills and I lifted it and check the watermark - ok it's there, and I got out again, having a sense being duped and hand it to my buddy for confirmation as I had a strange feeling I got ripped off. Later on I cursed for getting ripped of 50p, that could have been a great hour in rio bamba privado lol.

But I think most drivers are honest and you do get once in a while the shady ones.

So taxi takers- beware

Sportsman
12-18-06, 07:30
Plan ahead, always, always save your last 10P /20P bill for the taxi ride. Never, never give a taxi driver a 100P bill and ask for change.

Paco Luna
01-09-07, 02:28
One scam I encountered on arrival at the airport is: cabbie takes your money, looks at it, claims its counterfeit, and gives it back. Whereupon you give him another good bill. What he really is doing is putting your good money in his pocket and giving you back the same denomination bill from his stash which really is counterfeit. He knows you're in a hurry, don't know the currency well, can't see what he's doing in the darkness and in the front seat, and therefore are in a poor situation to challenge him or even notice. When I got into the airport to change back to dollars the changer pointed out to me how amateurish the argentine counterfeit money was. I suppose one solution is to mark or note a number on the bill you hand over so you know the counterfeit bill he gives you back is not the one you gave him.

Bairespirata
02-25-07, 07:58
Taxidrivers can not only rob you, they can kill you. I read below that the man who's dangerous probably was the driver trying to kill me on 7July 2006.

It was to a large extend my own fault, since he picked me at Lavalle / Pellegrino with bags from the shoppingmalls at Florida.

I had just recommended site members not to do this. But then I bought a book and read it for a couple of hour, then it had became completly dark, so the just time passed away at this café at Pelligrino 500.

He drove me to place empty of people. Then started to stab me with a screwdriver. I was alert and put up my arm as a shield, took some hits, but quickly got out of the taxi with my things. Had he been intelligent he would have set up a meeeting with his-partners-but he probably doesn't have any since is a-social rude guy. The majority of the taxudrivers are good people and enjoy talking. Many of them are well educated but have to work as taxistas since the stagnation of the economy since 1974.

After that incident I always use "Llamenos".

Finally I also recommend single foreigners to buy a stillett, pepper-spray, tear-gas, el-chock device. I feel bad about it, but I only have ONE life and don't want to be killed for maybe the 100 pesos I wear in my wallet.

Smuler
03-29-07, 00:42
One night going from Sudestada (Fitzroy and Guatemala) to Salome, I hailed a taxi.

The first warning sign to me was that his windshield was smashed.

I should have waived him by, but I was already in the taxi.

He refused to put the meter on, and was constantly looking in his rear view mirror, and circling around. Even I know he was driving in circles.

I was feeling increasingly edgy and screamed at him - " Stop the cab Mother Fucker! What do you think I'm fucking stupid! He asked for 5 Pesos, I threw him a 2 and told him to get the fuck out of there.

You had to see his face when I went to the back of the cab and took his plate #. It was precious!

Be aware.

Smuler

Msch912
11-07-08, 12:54
I noticed there haven't been any posts here for a long time, which probably says a lot about the taxi drivers in Argentina. I can't say much about the airport drivers, but I found the drivers in BA to be the best I've ever encountered. Always used the meter, were polite and often talkative, never drove me out of the way and gave change. I only used radio or official taxis and paid with small bills.

El Perro
11-07-08, 14:00
A foreign woman, a first time visitor was charged $400 from EZE to Recoleta! Keep your guard up!Anybody that stupid deserves it. Let me know when she is next in town and I'll pick her up.:)

El Perro
11-07-08, 15:12
You are defending the Taxi scum, not the poor, uneducated woman!I like the BA cabbies. There's a few bad apples, but IMHO 95% or more are reliable. As I have reported previously, head on up to Mexico City if you want to experience bad cabbies.

Argento
11-07-08, 15:18
I noticed there haven't been any posts here for a long time, which probably says a lot about the taxi drivers in Argentina. I can't say much about the airport drivers, but I found the drivers in BA to be the best I've ever encountered. Always used the meter, were polite and often talkative, never drove me out of the way and gave change. I only used radio or official taxis and paid with small bills.We obviously live on another planet. And especially if you drive here. They are the most indifferent, selfish drivers in existence. Sin excepcion. And cause mayhem to other drivers by their gutter-crawling driving technique. The reason there are few posts is that words fail us!

Argento

El Queso
11-07-08, 16:59
I see two (or maybe three) faces of cab drivers here.

For the most part, like Doggboy says, they are business like and get the job done with no muss or fuss. In the two years I've lived here, I've had one taxi driver ask for too much after he forgot to turn on the meter (and I gave him about half what he asked for) two taxi drivers that were obviously running with bad meters (I paid them what I knew the trip was worth) and one taxi driver that took me and two buddies too far to a place where we knew we were going and tried to argue with us (and we paid him what the trip was worth)

I have been in cabs with foreign visitors who have tried to be "fierce" with a cabbie and ensure that the cabbie is not ripping him off. I have seen these people try to tell the cabby the names of the streets and give directions they want to go in a fashion that even I had a hard time understanding and get angry at the cabby and accuse him of not understanding on purpose. (I'm not naming any names here;))

I once saw a cab driver purposefully bump a school gril who crossed in front of him as the light was changing - he actually hit her backpack and quite on purpose. I was in the cab (forgot to list this with the issues above) and got out immediately and refused to pay the prick a dime.

I agree with Argento 100% too - cab drivers are the biggest problem of traffic on small streets and trying to get around the city in busy places because of the way the trawl for their fares to the exclusion of other people being able to get around them, and they are the absolute worst drivers because they couldn't give a rat's ass about ANYONE else on the road, whether it be another cabby or a private driver.

And lastly, I know of two women who have been raped by cab drivers late at night.

The cab drivers are far from angels, although I have to say that I personally, when I ride in cabs, have had an extremely small percentage of issues, but I'm a reasonably big guy and probably make most of them think twice before trying anything too outre.

Member #3320
11-07-08, 17:17
I have mixed view of the cabbies of BA. I used about 60~80 odd cabs during my stay. I would say that almost 80% of them were very likable, pleasant, welcomed me as a foreigner, chatted with me with great interest about my life and in all offered a great ride to my destination.

However, 20% of them were very mediocre in their jobs, didn't have a clue on the BA routes, deliberately tried to increase the fare by taking longer routes, absolutely non cooperative at times, rude, sulky, unpleasant.

Overall, having used taxis in 50 odd countries in last 10 years, in my consensus purely, I would rate BA taxi drivers as much safer and less corrupt as compared to drivers of many 3rd world countries or even some of the other Central or South American countries. I never felt scared hailing a cab at 3 am in the morning on the streets of BA, I never felt scared going to a unknown place with a new cab driver at 2 am in the night. It speaks a lot about the safety the BA cabs provide to non-Spanish speaking tourists.

Being a well traveled person, I can vouch that their are some really rogue taxis in some of famous world cities. So, 3 cheers to BA cabs from me.

Gipse
11-08-08, 09:32
My personal experience with cabs in BA is 97.5% positive. Over multiple trips with many cabs, I have had two bad experiences.

One was an obviously fast meter. The fare was twice the usual. I paid the cabbie the standard fare and exited the cab. The second incident was a minor one. When the cabbie dropped me at the airport, he asked me to pay for the tolls also. I said the deal was all inclusive paid him the agreed fare and walked away.

My female friends on the other had tell me many stories of bad cabbies in BA. I guess the sight of a foreign female brings out the greed.

On a positive note, on one ride half way to my destination I noticed the meter was off. Upon being reminded the driver immediately turned it on and started cursing himself. At the destination when I asked him what was the total fare, he pointed to the meter which read $4 something. I gave him $8 which was the fare of my previous trip.

Aqualung
11-09-08, 01:08
Keep in mind that about 70% (my estimation) of cab drivers aren't the owners so any trip they do with the metre off is stealing from their employer who can't check this at the end of the day with the metre unless the car is equipped with sensors beneath the seats that indicate the amount of kilometres someone has been sitting there. That pleasant, talkative chap that drives you to the airport from the car owner's point of view is a thieving fucker that is stealing from him.

The shorter the journey is the more the cabby earns. They make more on the "bajada de bandera" (pulling the flag down) than on the kilometre driven (plus the fact that they use less gas) So the "scenic route" you all worry about is not to the driver's benefit. It's just because he's an idiot that doesn't have a clue where he's going at least during normal working hours. Notice how the tortoise becomes a hare once he has a passenger. He wants to get rid of the fucker as quick as possible so as to pick up someone else!

Highway tolls are paid by the passenger unless specifically (and this means SPECIFICALLY) indicated otherwise. If you refuse to pay, most cab drivers' attitude is to jump in the cab and get back on the streets and make it up. They get robbed at gun point, all they made in the day stolen, their cars stolen. Even shot or stabbed so a gringo refusing to pay for the "peaje" is just part of their daily losses! Big deal two or three pesos more or less!

A few years ago, it had become quite dangerous to take a cab in Bs. As. Crooks were stealing cabs from their owners and driving them till they picked up a likely client and robbing him or taking him to an ATM machine to empty the account (the reason why banks justify the limits they have on withdrawals) but strict police controls and collaboration with the legitimate cab drivers put an end to this type of crime or at least lowered it drastically.

Today, the percentage of crooks driving cabs is low but, of course, shit happens.

But I do recommend rather than work a deal with a cab driver you either take a remise or some other fixed price means of transportation for long hauls or a radio cab for shorter trips around town!

Bazzerboy
11-18-08, 20:47
I was taken. Very slick taxi driver about 55 years old. Waiting outside Mahados in Rcoletta.

I got in. Meter wasn't on. Said he would charge me 25 pesos to Palermo. (I knew the story and it was more then the actual fair but let it go as my stomach wasn't feeling good)

When we got to Palermo I handed the guy a 50 pesos. He took it and I don't know how he did it but the guy was a wizard and changed the 50 into a 5 practicaly in front of me.

I was amazed and here is where the killer blow came (hindsight is a *****) I went to my wallet for the 50 that I knew I had and when it wasn't there I realised I had no change and gave him 100 pesos. He took it and began counting out my change in 5 and 10s up to 50 pesos. The original amount I thought I had given him. I got out and as soon as I did I knew something was up. I closed the door and stood there smiling at him. He sat there looking at me for about 20 seconds and I just stood there smiling. I knew that he had done the switch-er-oo but at that time didn't realize that he had short changed me as well.

He roll's down the window and asks me if everything is OK and tells me there is some good clubs around the corner before slowly putting the car in gear and dawdling away. I just stood there smiling.'

Fuck me the Guy was smooth and fuck me I was slow.

So I got taken for 95 pesos which I'm sure will come back in the form of a horse passing the post and he'll get a burst tyre some night.

A little jet lag and a little tipsey with a bit of a bad stomach and not paying attention one late night in be. A.

El Perro
11-18-08, 20:56
Lesson learned. Do NOT take taxis right outside boliches. The chances of running into a problem of one sort or another increases exponentially.

Daddy Rulz
11-18-08, 22:07
That they turn on the meter, if they say "pay me what you think the trip is worth" give them 25 centavos. Just fucking demand that they turn on the meter or pull over, as simple as that.

Second since change is war in BsAs seperate your money, keep big bills, 100s in one pocket with like 2 two peso notes. When you go to a place you know will have change (Coto, Jumbo, big places not the corner kiosko) whatever the charge is pull out the wad with the 100's and 2 two peso bills, look stupid as a gringo should and just say "no tengo cambio". This will insure at the end of the night you have enough 10s and 20s to pay taxis.

Jackson
11-18-08, 22:42
I agree with Dogg and DR, and I would emphasize that having change is the most important defense against rogue taxis. Simply put, if you're in any situation wherein there is any sort of fare dispute, just toss whatever you believe is the correct fare into the taxi's front seat and walk away.

Every now and then I get a taxi with a rigged meter. In these situations I just sit quietly until we arrive at my destination, exit the taxi (never pay while in the taxi) and hand him approximately what I know the fare should have been (and perhaps less) and just walk away. Of course the driver will start his usual protestations, even exiting the vehicle to confront me, which is when I tell him that I know that the meter is rigged, but if he wants to pursue the issue further then I will be pleased to take up the issue with the police. At this point there is usually some exchange of colorful unpleasantries as he drives away.

Thanks,

Jackson

MiddleAgeGuy
11-18-08, 23:08
A couple months ago, a gabby taxista forgot to turn his meter on and I noticed at probably 6 pesos worth of ride. Coincidently, the rates had just gone up and he was saying he hadn't gone in yet to get the meter changed, too big a line up. I think the ultimate meter charge was around 12 pesos and he said that was good enough and fair for his lack of attention.

I gave him a 20.

MAG

Daddy Rulz
11-19-08, 01:32
A couple months ago, a gabby taxista forgot to turn his meter on and I noticed at probably 6 pesos worth of ride. Coincidently, the rates had just gone up and he was saying he hadn't gone in yet to get the meter changed, too big a line up. I think the ultimate meter charge was around 12 pesos and he said that was good enough and fair for his lack of attention.

I gave him a 20.

MAGThe vast majority of taxi drivers (Tacheros) are honest hard working professional guys (albeit with a sociopath belief that they own the roads) who are well trained, helpful, and for the most part congenial. These precautions are for when you run into the 5% or so that are hard working scum bags.

Aqualung
11-19-08, 18:36
(albeit with a sociopath belief that they own the roads) I agree with everything you say but I especially loved that quote! May I use it?

Daddy Rulz
11-19-08, 20:33
I agree with everything you say but I especially loved that quote! May I use it?But only if you tell me how to say it in Spanish.

Aqualung
11-20-08, 01:20
But only if you tell me how to say it in Spanish.Con una creencia sicópata de que son dueños de la calles. Hahahahahahaha

AllIWantIsLove
02-18-09, 13:17
For the first time ever, anywhere, when I was paying the taxi driver yesterday he pushed a button on the meter and it printed a small receipt, called "Ticket Pasajero". It identifies the driver / cab. So later if I discovered that he had given me counterfeit bills I could report him. Or if I discovered that I had left something in the cab maybe I'd have a shot of being able to get it back.

Do all meters have this capability? It seems to me like it would be a good idea to always ask for it. If everybody did that I think it would make cab drivers more honest. (Although so far as I know I have never had a problem.

Bob

Mr Vice
02-24-09, 15:07
I told all of them to get fucked! Hailed another. We decided on 70 pesos to Recoleta. A metered ride to EZE was 64 pesos. BTW, Ezezia Taxi is up to 98 pesos!I guess they know they have a monopoly market and they are using their advantage. I was also forced to pay 98 ARS from EZE to Belgrano (but in all fairness I could have taken the bus, if I had not been such a creature of comfort)

ComeOnDown
02-24-09, 15:30
Do all meters have this capability? It seems to me like it would be a good idea to always ask for it. If everybody did that I think it would make cab drivers more honest. (Although so far as I know I have never had a problem.

BobMost fleet taxis I. E. Radio Taxi Premium, Taxi BuenViaje, Radio Taxi Gold have a meter that can print out a receipt. However, you have to ask for it as it is not a usual practice for Porteños to get receipts for their cab rides so the drivers are not used to it.

I don't know about the privately owned taxis as I generally don't ride them. Maybe its just me but I have feeling that their meters and their sense of honesty is questionable since they are not answerable to anybody.

El Queso
02-25-09, 01:18
Yeah, it must be the monopoly. I looked on the map and I am about 30% farther out than EZE is from the center of the city. We can both be reached from any point in the city roughly the same, each on a major highway.

I can get a remis out here that will drive in to town and pick someone up from Recoleta and drop them off at my house for 85 pesos - just had it done today in fact. I'm sure it's the same to just about anywhere else (as far as rough rate per kilometer) except for to and from the airport.

One of these days soon I will need to take a remis to the airport for a trip back to the States. I'm sure I will pay two different prices for each of leg of the trip - cheaper going and much more expensive returning.

Silver Star
08-27-09, 03:17
A foreign woman, a first time visitor was charged $400 from EZE to Recoleta! Keep your guard up!Yikes! I have heard similar stories (Charged $500AR) like that, that's partly why I started a Lincoln Town Car service down here in Buenos Aires!

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Joe Hernandez
08-27-09, 14:24
I told all of them to get fucked! Hailed another. We decided on 70 pesos to Recoleta. A metered ride to EZE was 64 pesos. BTW, Ezezia Taxi is up to 98 pesos!Hailing a non-official taxi at Ezeiza is dangerous, I would think the risk is not worth 20 peso, especially if you carry cash and expensive luggage.

Joe Hernandez
08-27-09, 14:28
When I took a cab with my girlfriend and her brother, my GF wanted to pay with a 100 bill and he said name the last 3 numbers and remember them. He then checked the bill. Pretty nice because that way there is no risk he changes the bill or the customer getting angry on a counterfeit bill.

Actually you should try to avoid with 100 bills or even 50 bills.

Silver Star
10-05-09, 00:10
Be careful folks when you take a black and yellow capital cab. I was at EZE today early for a pickup and ordering at McDonalds, and a Brazilian who was just dropped off had a fake $50 rejected he had got as change from a cab. The bill paper did not have the right feel and texture, and the portrait of the watermark was very hard too see, although it was there. Color of the bill looked good.

Moral, never give cab drivers big bills to change!

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Wild Walleye
10-05-09, 13:32
Be careful folks when you take a black and yellow capital cab. I was at EZE today early for a pickup and ordering at McDonalds, and a Brazilian who was just dropped off had a fake $50 rejected he had got as change from a cab. The bill paper did not have the right feel and texture, and the portrait of the watermark was very hard too see, although it was there. Color of the bill looked good.

Moral, never give cab drivers big bills to change!

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.comWent to pay the driver as he dropped me off (fare was AR$90) gave him AR$100 bill. While I grabbed my stuff off the seat, he must have switched the bill I gave him with a fake AR$100 bill, which he returned to me saying it was a fake and asking for another. I was a little distracted so I just gave him another. Upon further consideration, I realized that all the 100s in my pocket came straight out of the ATM and therefore were very unlikely to include a fake. Learn from my mistake.

Tika Taka
10-06-09, 01:24
First post on the boards, thought I'd share.

I got scammed on my first trip upon arrival at EZE. Thought I took a Radio Taxi because it was black with the yellow top, but when I got in the car it didnt look like a taxi at all. Driver didn't turn on the meter until we arrived and tried to charge me 380 pesos since the meter of course showed 3.80 pesos. I ended up paying 35 USD which I assume is a fair bit more than a metered ride from EZE to Palermo would have cost.

Oh well, lesson learned:)

Wild Walleye
10-06-09, 14:23
First post on the boards, thought I'd share.

I got scammed on my first trip upon arrival at EZE. Thought I took a Radio Taxi because it was black with the yellow top, but when I got in the car it didnt look like a taxi at all. Driver didn't turn on the meter until we arrived and tried to charge me 380 pesos since the meter of course showed 3.80 pesos. I ended up paying 35 USD which I assume is a fair bit more than a metered ride from EZE to Palermo would have cost.

Oh well, lesson learned:)You got out of that one pretty easily. US$35 is a little more than a remis from EZE to Palermo, but you got there safely and he didn't try any enhanced methods of extracting more $ from you.

Silver Star
10-25-09, 13:47
Was in front of the Sheraton Convention center waiting to pick up a client for private car services, I noticed a radio taxi dropped off an unsuspecting asian, who paid with a $100AR note. The driver went from outside after helping with bags, and after collecting the $100AR, he went to the cab, and came back with a fake $100 and demanded a new bill! The passenger game him a new $100, and all was good (for the driver)

Moral-Never ever give a black and yellow cabbie here big bills, and exact change is best, always check you bills before giving them out, having a pocket flashlight is helpful.

Fred www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires leader in private native English speaking Lincoln Town Car services.

Gato Hunter
06-10-10, 23:56
I have rented the same apartment my last few trips. I got in a cab to go to EZE on Tuesday night. A spanish speaking board member that speaks fluent spanish was listening while the portero talked to a taxi that was hailed for me. I heard something about coming back tomorrow with 40 pesos but they were talking fast and using some lunfardo.

We go one block he wants me to eat a tic tac, I say no. We go two blocks and I tell the taxista to start the meter. We go three he asks me to eat another tic tac, in hindsight it was probably a roofie. He tells me its a flat 200 pesos to the airport. I tell him to pull the fuck over. He mentioned something about a commission for the portero. I almost climbed over the front seat and was about to kick some ass when he would not stop. He finaly stopped on Las Heras when I was about to beat his ass from the back seat, and tried to drive off with my bag on the front seat. I opened the door and somehow got it out. He then got out and asked for 50 pesos to go away. I was going to bust his teeth out and I think he knew it. So he just left.

I flagged another cab down on Las Heras at 6pm that was happy to run the meter to the airport, no problems.

To those in the know this was not the super cool night portero but the douche bag day portero.

I will never rent from Badman again, this was a setup plain and simple. I am a very street smart ex marine and not a dumb ass schmuk.

Miami Bob
06-17-10, 01:43
Bad--you know the guy is sleeze. He tried to rip me off right in front of you--the maid is paid 25 US dollars per hour. You said nothing.

How will your clients be protected from this guy in the future?

Inquiring minds want to know? Gato is an old hand, young and knows how to protect himself. If an executive from Motorola was physically harmed, there would be a world of shit. How about an elderly couple for their first trip to BA?

No one is outing the name of your business. You have some sort of duty to let this slimebag know that you know what he did and if he does it again, the tourism police will be involved. Let your clients know that 25 pesos per hour is a high, but not an unreasonable rate to pay for extra maid service. 25 dollars per hour is thievery.

You are a good guy--step-up and do the right thing.

Warn your clients about him. Do something.

Silver Star
06-30-10, 19:28
The possibilities of being in an accident increase tremendously! The auto death rates are very high in AR. Why increase your chances of injury, even death? The drivers are incompetent. Why increase your risk? Many drivers cannot see you coming! But the practice continues, satisfying the machismo of the ignorant drivers! In AR, no traffic laws are enforced! Most men and chicas that I know refuse to ride in these vehicles! AVOID!I always drive with my headlights on of course. I was wondering why so many drivers leave them off and what the rationale is. Most Argentines have not had formal driving education, unlike me. Most of them tailgate, weave in and out, have poorly maintained, tiny cars and usually don't use turn signals. Many cars don't have airbags either! (Unlike my company)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Worth It

Silver Star
06-30-10, 19:34
The possibilities of being in an accident increase tremendously! The auto death rates are very high in AR. Why increase your chances of injury, even death? The drivers are incompetent. Why increase your risk? Many drivers cannot see you coming! But the practice continues, satisfying the machismo of the ignorant drivers! In AR, no traffic laws are enforced! Most men and chicas that I know refuse to ride in these vehicles! AVOID!Here is a video on how bad Argentine driver are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwADYmtlTI

Fred

www.silverstarcar.com

¨Play it safe¨

TejanoLibre
07-01-10, 19:38
I always drive with my headlights on of course. I was wondering why so many drivers leave them off and what the rationale is. Most Argentines have not had formal driving education, unlike me. Most of them tailgate, weave in and out, have poorly maintained, tiny cars and usually don't use turn signals. Many cars don't have airbags either! (Unlike my company)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Worth ItBelieve it or not the Argies drive with their headlights OFF at night so they don't burn them up and have to buy replacement bulbs!

The old joke use to be that they drive with their lights OFF so they don't use up their batteries!

I shudder when I see the ¨Donor-cycles¨ without headlights, tail-lights or BRAKE lights!

WTF!

Article in the Houston Chronicle said that you are 6 times more likely to die in a car accident in BA than in Houston!

TL.

P. S - I have only driven twice in BA in 5 years and I would have been terrified if I had'nt been so fucked Up!

Miami Bob
07-02-10, 01:31
I keep the numbers for two large, reputable radio taxi services handy--they have a record of you with both the pick-up and delivery address in their computer. You are not likely a good target for a rip off.

A & S.

Paris taxi.

Taxi Ezeiza is a car service, not a taxi. Airport to city center they are near the bottom of the "at the airport" car services, but depending on traffic, they are about 5-10% more than a street taxi that you can pick-up at the departure area illegally.

From city center to the airport, they are priced about the same as a street taxi during rush hour or maybe 5% more.

Non-rush hour, they are 10-15% more than a street cab.

If you are two or three people with luggage, taxi ezeiza or the radio service. With 24 hours notice, will sent a small sport utility that can carry more than the typical sub-compacts.

If you are a larger group or have more luggage you need either SILVER STAR or seperate taxi's

Silver Star
07-02-10, 21:39
Believe it or not the Argies drive with their headlights OFF at night so they don't burn them up and have to buy replacement bulbs!

The old joke use to be that they drive with their lights OFF so they don't use up their batteries!

I shudder when I see the ¨Donor-cycles¨ without headlights, tail-lights or BRAKE lights!

WTF!

Article in the Houston Chronicle said that you are 6 times more likely to die in a car accident in BA than in Houston!

TL.

P. S - I have only driven twice in BA in 5 years and I would have been terrified if I had'nt been so fucked Up!I have to turn off my rear view dimmer at night in order to see the idiots with no drivers education tailgating me, etc when doing airport rides!

Fortunately, my Town Car is a TANK, very safe and airbag equipped, but more important than all of that is driving in a safe and prudent manner.

Our C4 Exclusive is also airbag equipped.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

(much more comfortable and safer than a tiny taxi)

Gato Hunter
07-06-10, 01:12
I don't want anyone to think that its not safe to get in a cab.

This was not meant to be an advert for SilverStar who is entirely overpriced.

I will take a cab my next trip to BA no problem.

Benjoe
08-15-10, 20:26
Is it not possible to put some sort of mark on all of your 100 notes to avoid the fake bill scam? Or is this too much of a hassle for a once in a great while scam (or is all too common)

Silver Star
08-15-10, 23:50
Is it not possible to put some sort of mark on all of your 100 notes to avoid the fake bill scam? Or is this too much of a hassle for a once in a great while scam (or is all too common)It's a common scam, and watch for fake 50's also. (There are a lot of fake 50's floating around right now) Be especially careful if the bill you get back in change is brand new, fake notes don't get circulated as much, and if you ever do have to give a cabbie a 100 peso note, always verify it is real 1st (hold it up to the light and notice the quality of the watermark and paper, and remember the last 3 digits of the serial number. The watermark should be a 3D portrait, not a 2D outline. I have seen fake notes all the way down to 10 pesos. (Many of the passengers I get have been ripped off by cabs, and they give me the fake notes they got to demonstrate to my customers)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want something better than a tiny, cramped and uncomfortable Taxi.

Joe 23
08-16-10, 00:20
I wouldn't think of paying taxis with a A$100 note. Anything can happen.

The driver can give you a fake A$50 as change.

Or, he'll quickly switch your A$100 note to a fake, then tell YOU that YOU've given him a fake note and return it to you.

I pay the taxistas in 20's or smaller notes.

In fact, these notes (20's or smaller) are for taxis, kioscos and tips.

Nothing more.

Silver Star
08-16-10, 16:56

Or, he'll quickly switch your A$100 note to a fake, then tell YOU that YOU've given him a fake note and return it to you.

Nothing more.Also watch for rigged meters that run at 2x speed, without traffic, the meter should click once every 2 blocks or so. Taxi drivers also really appreciate small change, and always round up to the nearest peso. By the way, the overwhelming majority of cab drivers are great folks, but there is that element to watch out for.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires English Speaking Private Car Services

Wild Walleye
08-16-10, 19:15
I posted a long time ago about a remis driver pulling the switcheroo on an AR$100 note at EZE.

Some things you will notice about fake bills, should you come into possession of one or more, are that they are much less durable than legal currency and made of very smooth paper (not like currency) that tends to crease when folded. Legal currency is usually made of cotton and flax as opposed to counterfeit bills which are usually paper.

Fake bills also lack both the 3-D watermark imagery and the security thread.

Silver Star
08-18-10, 18:02
I posted a long time ago about a remis driver pulling the switcheroo on an AR$100 note at EZE.

Some things you will notice about fake bills, should you come into possession of one or more, are that they are much less durable than legal currency and made of very smooth paper (not like currency) that tends to crease when folded. Legal currency is usually made of cotton and flax as opposed to counterfeit bills which are usually paper.

Fake bills also lack both the 3-D watermark imagery and the security thread.I have a fake 50 right in front of me with a security thread and a watermark, but the giveaway is the watermark is in 2D format not 3D, my fake 100's also have the security thread in silver. (All bills were given to me by my clients to demonstrate to my future clients so they know what they are up against)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Pickups and Drop offs in English

Wild Walleye
08-19-10, 13:01
I have a fake 50 right in front of me with a security thread and a watermark, but the giveaway is the watermark is in 2D format not 3D, my fake 100's also have the security thread in silver. (All bills were given to me by my clients to demonstrate to my future clients so they know what they are up against)

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Pickups and Drop offs in EnglishI have not seen fakes in Bs As with the security thread embedded in the paper. That shows a higher level of sophistication in production. Is there a watermark on the security thread?

Silver Star
08-22-10, 00:35
I have not seen fakes in Bs As with the security thread embedded in the paper. That shows a higher level of sophistication in production. Is there a watermark on the security thread?The "security strips" on my fake 50 and 100 are merely printed on top of the inferior paper, not embedded in like the real ones. Just a bunch of silver dashes.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want something better than a beat up tiny taxi

TejanoLibre
08-23-10, 21:43

Nothing more.Then there was the taxi driver that kept saying that the meter was in DOLLARS!

Had to laugh out loud!

TL

Wild Walleye
08-24-10, 05:30
Then there was the taxi driver that kept saying that the meter was in DOLLARS!

Had to laugh out loud!

TLThat you want to demonstrate the choke-hold for.

Silver Star
08-24-10, 17:47
That you want to demonstrate the choke-hold for.I was doing a City to AEP transfer today in my new Executive Citroen C6 Exclusive (complete with rear reclining heated leather seats) and the Canadiens I had got a cab waiting outside Cabaña Las Lilas in Puerto Madero lat night, he had a rigged meter and the fare to Recoleta (Azcuenaga why Juncal) was 50 Pesos, he tried to charge in USD! That fare should be no more than 25 Pesos or so. Always better to call a cab by radio taxi, then get one off the street. I was surprised to see this from PM, as many of the crooked cabs are afraid to go in due to tight Coast Guard Security.

Stay Safe.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Wild Walleye
08-24-10, 19:03
I was doing a City to AEP transfer today in my new Executive Citroen C6 Exclusive (complete with rear reclining heated leather seats) and the Canadiens I had got a cab waiting outside Cabaña Las Lilas in Puerto Madero lat night, he had a rigged meter and the fare to Recoleta (Azcuenaga why Juncal) was 50 Pesos, he tried to charge in USD! That fare should be no more than 25 Pesos or so. Always better to call a cab by radio taxi, then get one off the street. I was surprised to see this from PM, as many of the crooked cabs are afraid to go in due to tight Coast Guard Security.

Stay Safe.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.comUS$50 from PM to Recoleta? Depending upon how many drinks I was served at PM, one of us (me or the driver) would be looking for a cop for assistance.

Seaman
08-24-10, 19:34
US$50 from PM to Recoleta? Depending upon how many drinks I was served at PM, one of us (me or the driver) would be looking for a cop for assistance.Well the US$50 is about as expensive as Fred's trip from the cruise terminal to the city. (US$44!) Depending on where the passengers have to go to in the city it might be even cheaper! (For people who are not familiar where the cruise terminal is; it is about 500m from Retiro train station......)

Sorry Fred, but I do not think that you are the right person to start criticizing the rip-off rates of taxi drivers. I think the rates you charge are in the same category. (Or do you think that US$88 for an airport pick up is a "normal" rate? And please do not try to feed me the BS about the town car since you have also a way more regular C6 in use.)

Silver Star
08-24-10, 20:20
Well the US$50 is about as expensive as Fred's trip from the cruise terminal to the city. (US$44! Depending on where the passengers have to go to in the city it might be even cheaper! (For people who are not familiar where the cruise terminal is; it is about 500m from Retiro train station.

Sorry Fred, but I do not think that you are the right person to start criticizing the rip-off rates of taxi drivers. I think the rates you charge are in the same category. (Or do you think that US$88 for an airport pick up is a "normal" rate? And please do not try to feed me the BS about the town car since you have also a way more regular C6 in use.Hi Seaman.

I am just stating facts about taxis, etc. I use taxis myself around town.

The known fact of the matter is it is well known that there are rip off cabs here in town, and it is quite common for this to happen to tourists.

SilverStar is a LIMO service not a taxi, and my rates are competitive / cheaper than similar cars here. I just called One Limo web site for a price check, and they quoted me $164US for a C4 and could not guarantee an English speaking driver. They wanted $215US for a Mercedes E Class, probably much older than my Executive C6. The C6 and Town Car are VERY EXPENSIVE cars to run here, and costs over 3X what a taxi costs. English speaking drivers that drive safely here are also very hard to find. (Don't confuse the C6 with a C4)

The C6 is the same car the French President uses. SilverStar Premium car service has never tried nor can compete on price with Taxis, we can however provide the best possible service here in Buenos Aires. You can't compare a cheap seedy hostel to the Alvear Palace 5 Star hotel, it is the same with SilverStar vs Taxi.

Unfortunately, one of the things here that is not cheaper is running a car - gas, parts and insurance are much more expensive than the USA, and traffic is brutal. It can take me 3.5 hours to 4 hours to do an airport pickup from start to finish during morning rush hour. Also remember the risk we are taking for an accident is very high, as Argentines are some of the worst drivers in the world.

As far as safety goes, many black and yellow cabs tailgate, drive with lights off at night, weave in and out of traffic, don't have rear headrests, run on bald tires have shot suspensions, don't use turn signals and don't have airbags.

We maintain and drive our cars in a professional manner, so the choice is yours, if you find better value in a random taxi, please take it. But you won't find a better car (Town Car or C6 Exclusive) at a better price for an English speaking, punctual driver.

Bottom line - I think you are comparing apples to oranges, if you can find a better price for an English speaking driver with a similar car who drives safe, please do let me know! If we were running beat up tiny Chevrolet Corsas with bald tires and no headrests in the back, I would agree with you 100%

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want the very best English Speaking car service in Buenos Aires

Silver Star
11-26-12, 23:11
Just heard this one, it is very clever. The mark (a green tourist) pays fare with a good 100 peso note, sleazy cab driver switches the bill when the mark is not looking for a slightly torn fake, then "rejects" the torn bill, because it is torn and asks for a non torn one, totally deflecting attention from whether the bill is fake or not. I have the bill in possession (for demonstration purposes only) and it is a VERY GOOD fake note, with sparkly green 100 in left corner and a (crappy) watermark. It is the Brazilian style note with serial number in black on the bottom, not red on the ride, lots of these type of fakes going around.

Good news, I have a new Evita 100 peso note in possession, with more security features than the current Roca note, will be harder to counterfeit fortunately.

Hi Seaman.

I am just stating facts about taxis, etc. I use taxis myself around town.

The known fact of the matter is it is well known that there are rip off cabs here in town, and it is quite common for this to happen to tourists.

SilverStar is a LIMO service not a taxi, and my rates are competitive / cheaper than similar cars here. I just called One Limo web site for a price check, and they quoted me $164US for a C4 and could not guarantee an English speaking driver. They wanted $215US for a Mercedes E Class, probably much older than my Executive C6. The C6 and Town Car are VERY EXPENSIVE cars to run here, and costs over 3X what a taxi costs. English speaking drivers that drive safely here are also very hard to find. (Don't confuse the C6 with a C4)

The C6 is the same car the French President uses. SilverStar Premium car service has never tried nor can compete on price with Taxis, we can however provide the best possible service here in Buenos Aires. You can't compare a cheap seedy hostel to the Alvear Palace 5 Star hotel, it is the same with SilverStar vs Taxi.

Unfortunately, one of the things here that is not cheaper is running a car. Gas, parts and insurance are much more expensive than the USA, and traffic is brutal. It can take me 3. 5 hours to 4 hours to do an airport pickup from start to finish during morning rush hour. Also remember the risk we are taking for an accident is very high, as Argentines are some of the worst drivers in the world.

As far as safety goes, many black and yellow cabs tailgate, drive with lights off at night, weave in and out of traffic, don't have rear headrests, run on bald tires have shot suspensions, don't use turn signals and don't have airbags.

We maintain and drive our cars in a professional manner, so the choice is yours, if you find better value in a random taxi, please take it. But you won't find a better car (Town Car or C6 Exclusive) at a better price for an English speaking, punctual driver.

Bottom line. I think you are comparing apples to oranges, if you can find a better price for an English speaking driver with a similar car who drives safe, please do let me know! If we were running beat up tiny Chevrolet Corsas with bald tires and no headrests in the back, I would agree with you 100%

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

For when you want the very best English Speaking car service in Buenos Aires