PDA

View Full Version : How to post a link to a message

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 14:32
I just posted a message to the "Telephone Issues" thread in Living in Argentina. Then I discovered a Vonage thread which my message would also pertain to. How can I determine the link to my message in Telephone Issues and what kind of markup do I have to put around it so that it shows up as a link?

(Couldn't find anything in the FAQ when I searched for "thread link".

Thanks, Bob

Hunt99
01-19-06, 15:20
I just posted a message to the "Telephone Issues" thread in Living in Argentina. Then I discovered a Vonage thread which my message would also pertain to. How can I determine the link to my message in Telephone Issues and what kind of markup do I have to put around it so that it shows up as a link?

(Couldn't find anything in the FAQ when I searched for "thread link".

Thanks, BobBecause of the editing software, the way to post a link is to enter it as an "Edit Message" once you have created and posted your original post. Perhaps there's another way, but this is all that I have been able to do when I post links myself.

Bandy
01-19-06, 16:19
AllIWantisLove,

I understand that you want to put a web link in your message.

Click the Edit button of the message, then inside the message box type the URL and put the code {url} before the web address and at the end put {/url}. Please make sure that you replace the { with [ and } with]. The address will appear as a link.

To save typing the URL, I generally open the web page, copy the address bar and paste it in the message box.

Bandy

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 18:16
I think that I followed the advice given but you can see the result in the Test Messages thread. The url was always replaced by the single digit 0 whether enclosed in the html tags or not. I should have used square brackets right? Or is there a character mapping problem and I should have used angle brackets. Maybe I'll try another experitment. Here's the url I was trying to reference (except that I've expanded it by inserting blanks so that it won't get replaced by a 0): h t t p: / / w w w. A are g e n t I n a p are I v a t e. C o m / f o are you m / s h o w t h are e a d. P h p? P = 3 4 7 4 5 3 # p o s t 3 4 7 4 5 3

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 18:23
Thank you Bandy. You meant URL not url, right? In any event URL worked for me whereas url did not.

Thanks, Bob.

AllIWantisLove,

I understand that you want to put a web link in your message.

Click the Edit button of the message, then inside the message box type the URL and put the code {url} before the web address and at the end put {/ url}. Please make sure that you replace the { with [ and } with]. The address will appear as a link.

To save typing the URL, I generally open the web page, copy the address bar and paste it in the message box.

Bandy

Bandy
01-19-06, 18:44
AllIWantisLove,

I am glad that things are working now. Jackson has created an extensive primer on vB code list. Use the following link. This is a very handy reference guide, whenever, you have trouble posting. I sent you a PM earlier. Ignore it. Looks like you solved your problem.

Bandy.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Jackson
01-19-06, 20:29
Greeting everyone,

I appreciate all the input, but you guys are doing this the hard way.

To like to another report, all you need to do is enclose the report number with and tags.

For example, here's a link to one of my favorite reports: #350442

Which I entered as: [ post ]350442[ /post ]

Obviously with extra spaces between the brackets so that you can see the code.

Thanks,

Jackson

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 21:23
Thanks Jackson, I can handle that. But how do you know the number? In the example you used 350442. Even when I followed the link in your example I did not see that number anywhere.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Here's the easiest way: Move the mouse pointer over the 'quote" button and then read the post number in the Status Bar at the bottom of your browser window.

Thanks,

Jackson

AllIWantIsLove
01-20-06, 00:20
Geez, I should have guessed. Thanks Jackson.

Thanks Jackson, I can handle that. But how do you know the number? In the example you used 350442. Even when I followed the link in your example I did not see that number anywhere.

Thanks,

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Here's the easiest way: Move the mouse pointer over the 'quote" button and then read the post number in the Status Bar at the bottom of your browser window.

Thanks,

Jackson