PDA

View Full Version : Safety

Hafrbo
01-25-06, 05:17
Here's some of my general observations on safety in Buenos Aires:

FIRES.

I have been here over three weeks and have already witnessed two fires. Both were on Ave. Santa Fe. A week ago there was a fire in the 2600 block due to a a car catching fire in a parking garage and the other tonight in the 2400 block in a store.

I checked my apartment last night and realized there are no fire alarms. Make sure that wherever you are staying, you know how to get the fuck out of the building without getting on the elevator.

In a disco or club it might be a good idea to take a glance at where the fire exits are at. Don't forget, over a year ago over almost two hundred people died in a fire at a disco club.

TAXIS (driving in general)

Pretty much anyone who drives in Buenos aires is an accident waiting to happen.

If you're walking on the street realize that in this city the car has the right of way, not the pedestrian. You definitely need to look twice for both taxis and mopeds before you cross the street.

In the course of two weeks I saw a taxi hit a guy on a bicycle and another hit a guy on a moped. And tonight there was a head on collision in Palermo that involved two taxis. Did I mention that most of the time the seat belts on the taxis don't work?

WALKING AT NIGHT.

It all depends on the neighborhood and the time. During the day most neighborhoods have cops who 'patrol' on foot. Realize that the more affluent and tourist neighborhoods will have more cops.

I live near Palermo Viejo and usually walk home after dinner in Recoleta around 3 am. I usually walk on Av. Santa Fe and have had no problems so far. Again it all depends on the neighborhood, so be realistic and don't walk around with your rolex watch on and expect nothing to happen to you.

Hafrbo

El Perro
02-23-06, 18:33
The following is from a report on a local expat blog. Seems to be Buyer Beware with the Stones. Jackson-let me know if copying / pasting this is verboten)

"On Tuesday the scene outside the River stadium was complete chaos as ticket holders rushed to enter the stadium. At 9:45 PM, when the Rolling Stones started playing, the line to enter the stadium was still 10 blocks long. Many of the people waiting to get in were foreigners who had bought their tickets from scalpers, on Mercadolibre, etc.

The news showed despondent Chileans, who traveled all the way from Chile (since the Rolling Stones will not make a stop in Santiago) to hear the Stones perform in Buenos Aires, who said they'd paid $500 USD for their tickets and now had no way to enter the stadium. Most Argentines had shown up to the stadium at 5:00 or 6:00 PM, aware that they would need several hours just to get inside and find their seat.

The concert promoter decided not to hire the River stadium security apparatus and instead chose a private security firm to handle things. Clearly they couldn't handle the sold-out show.

Message to expat concert-goers: Just because you can walk-in to a concert 30 minutes before the show in your own country, don't assume anything in Argentina will be conducted with that level of efficiency. Argentina is the queue capital of the world and they will find a way to make you wait."

Flexible Horn
02-23-06, 19:16
I was at the concert on Tuesday, I have seen many concerts in England but have never witnessed scenes such as Tuesday night.

There where hundreds of 'Fake' tickets for sale, the asking price ranging between 300-400 pesos. The only difference was the missing TICKETEKCOM hologram on the front of the ticket.

There where gangs of up to 100 people roaming around.

After queuing for only 1 hour I was in the stadium, thousands of people managed to enter without tickets.

Many where refused entry having purchased fake tickets.

The staffing of the stadium was laughable, young college kids against hardened gangs intent on seeing the Stones at any cost (not monetary)

I have probably left this post to late but if your going tonight, as I am, take EXTRA care.

FH

Moore
02-23-06, 19:41
Hi Mongers,

I read about the Stones concert as well. It is obvious that we should never patronize entities like River Plate Stadium, ticket scalpers, or The Rolling Stones that conduct business in such a deplorable, unethical manner. If they do not have standard policies in place that prevent such mishaps, then they should not receive repeat business from us or anyone else. I trust that everyone here will boycott every event at that Stadium as well as anything associated with the Stones or ticket scalpers in the future.

It is unbelievable that something as unruly as this could happen in Argentina. The buck stops here and now.

Thanks,

Moore

El Perro
02-23-06, 19:49
The fucking Stones, god love em', have got to be the most mercenary bunch of rock n rollers in history. Here it is about 35 years since Altamont, and they are still playing to sold out stadiums full of crazed maniacs without adequate security. AND, doing it the world over! Jagger didn't get a business degree for nothing.

Savoy
02-23-06, 21:04
Actually he has a degree in Economics from LSE

Seismo
02-23-06, 23:18
The great local band "Ratones Paranoicos" [paranoid rats] used to open for the Stones on their world tours for several years. I have no idea if they are still around, but if they are and you have a chance to see them, they are definitely worth a look. They have got to be as old or older than the Stones.

Their CDS can be bought in the discount bins of the closeout music / book stores on Avenida Rivadavia, if any of you are interested.

Thomaso276
03-17-06, 14:27
I found out yesterday from neighbors that today is a wild night in the Av. San Martin, Reconquista, San Retiro area. Apparently there is a large street party that draws about 50,000 people to celebrate St Patrick's day.

Streets are closed off and the local pubs are jammed. Last year there were some incidents (See today's Clarin) involving the many groups of drunken revelers.

I imagine Excedra and the triangle area may be okay, but I would not think Jazz, Cutty Sark, XO would be great destinations for any mongering tonight.

I would avoid the area unless, of course, you enjoy these street parties. I myself will be stuck in my apartment (in the same building as Matias Pub) for the night. I had my fill of these events while in the States.

El Perro
03-17-06, 17:41
I found out yesterday from neighbors that today is a wild night in the Av. San Martin, Reconquista, San Retiro area. Apparently there is a large street party that draws about 50,000 people to celebrate St Patrick's day.

Streets are closed off and the local pubs are jammed. Last year there were some incidents (See today's Clarin) involving the many groups of drunken revelers.

I imagine Excedra and the triangle area may be okay, but I would not think Jazz, Cutty Sark, XO would be great destinations for any mongering tonight.

I would avoid the area unless, of course, you enjoy these street parties. I myself will be stuck in my apartment (in the same building as Matias Pub) for the night. I had my fill of these events while in the States.With the triangle (Kilkinneys) out of the question, where would be a good place or area to have some fun tonight? Not necessarily PFP fun, but general good times, with imbibing local portenas?

Hunt99
03-17-06, 18:09
With the triangle (Kilkinneys) out of the question, where would be a good place or area to have some fun tonight? Not necessarily PFP fun, but general good times, with imbibing local portenas?If Thomaso says 50,000 people are going to be partying downstairs from his apartment, might not that be the best suggestion for you, Dogg?

El Perro
03-17-06, 18:17
If Thomaso says 50,000 people are going to be partying downstairs from his apartment, might not that be the best suggestion for you, Dogg?I'm afraid I might get my tail stepped on in the hubbub! Or, is Thomaso overreacting? I have no idea, but I ain't interested in the BA version of Pamplona when the bulls are in gear. I was thinking The Shamrock, though after looking in there last night about 11, there is no way it could be anymore sardined than last night.

Cautious dog

Moore
03-17-06, 18:43
I went to the Kilkenney area for StP day the year before last I think. Its a friggin zoo if you ask me. If you like being in the center of the mob on Bourbon St on Fat Tuesday then you might enjoy it. I personally don't like being trampled, pushed, pissed and puked on. Forget about Kilkenney / Shamrock tonight unless you like that environment.

El Perro
03-17-06, 18:52
I went to the Kilkenney area for StP day the year before last I think. Its a friggin zoo if you ask me. If you like being in the center of the mob on Bourbon St on Fat Tuesday then you might enjoy it. I personally don't like being trampled, pushed, pissed and puked on. Forget about Kilkenney / Shamrock tonight unless you like that environment.Moore,

Thanks for the heads up. BTW, I have been thinking about sampling Madonas, and remember you posted about the place not long ago. Is it the typical, not rolling until 1-3am boliche, or is anything going on there earlier?

The dog

Thomaso276
03-24-06, 16:36
Okay, about 30 minutes ago my girlfriend tells me there is a big commotion in Plaza San Martin, just down from our place. I have to see it! We walk down and about 300-400 protestors are in front of the Kavanaugh building. Just a few meters from the Marriot. Apparently one of the ex-dictators lives there and today is the memorial day for the end of the Junta.

After a few minutes of cheering and signing, it starts. Quickly. Bottles, rocks, paint ballons are smashed against the front of the building. We are in the park about 40 meters away and the crowd watching starts to diperse cause they know what is next. We walk over by the Marriott as the building assault continues. I note that several cops in front of the building that was attacked had to have received some of the rocks and bottles as well as broken glass from above them. News just posted there were 7 injuries.

Cops staged by the Marriot start the mobile field force response and deploy the grenadiers who shoot chemical cannisters into the crowd. The crowd moves down toward Libertador, opposite the Sheration, where I cannot see them. One cop had to ask me to move behind their lines. I got caught up.

I note a change in the direction of the breeze and a few minutes later here comes the gas, back toward the bysanders. I feel the molecules of pepper / chemical compound in the air as they enter your nose and eyes. Really cleans out the old sinuses. Folks start clearing out. It is not thick but uncomfortanble for most of the folks. Show over for us.

Watched it on the news and what bothers me about this shit is the group attacks police in front of the building. Most of the cops weren't even born 30 years ago. Just an excuse for some group to start a mini riot and break stuff. News showed one asshole trying to smash a window of a business next to the apartment building! What has this business got to do with some ex tyrant who should be in jail, not in the Kavanaugh building?

Oh well, off to USA in three hours. Time to pay my taxes!

Moore
03-24-06, 16:58
ThomasO,

It seems to me that the endless demonstrations / marches / strikes are a Latin thing. Like in Paris - its seems that they are marching, banging, screaming in the street about something nearly every day. The last couple times I was there I remember thinking...this is just like Buenos Aires. Or maybe since there is an educated population and a huge % that doesnt work, people have nothing better to do. I don't know.

BTW, why not pay your taxes from BA?

Hunt99
03-24-06, 17:00
BTW, why not pay your taxes from BA?Taxes? What are those? Only the little people pay taxes.

-Shamelessly stolen from Leona Helmsley

Moore
03-24-06, 17:05
\Well your idol Warren pays them. Don't underestimate the IRS, many have and regretted it.

Exon123
03-24-06, 19:31
Thanks for the Report Thomaso276,

Very interesting.

Exon pays his tax's, Gladly, He knows not to Fuck with the IRS. They taught him a very expensive lesson once. Not to be repeated.

Exon

El Perro
03-14-07, 20:52
From the portero in my ex apartment building-two girls from England stabbed in Barrio Norte today by an apparent nutjob. If this is so (he is usually reliable) we will see it in the BA Herald tomorrow. Also there have been reports of a snatch and grab gang working the area between Corrientes and Cordoba, though I am not sure of the exact streets involved. Still pays to keep your eyes open (watch the dogshit if nothing else)