PDA

View Full Version : Notorious

El Perro
02-02-06, 11:40
I checked out this jazz club / restaurant / cd store last night on my initial BA "date". Callao 966. A very impressive jazz quartet played (Paco Weht cuarteto) Bass player and drummer have been playing in Barcelona. The pianist and sax player locally. All are portenos, and very talented. They appear to have live jazz every night of the week. A very nice venue, well run. Definitely for jazz aficionados. They have food and a decent wine selection. We had a light dinner that was fair, and another try needed to give an opinion on the food. Even if it turns out to be mediocre, this is a jazz haven. The front of the place is devoted to selling and listening to cds. You wouldn't know anything else existed there from the street. Highly recommended for the music and the kind of place in which women feel very comfortable.

I thought about including in my review a multi paragraph description of the date, a la that boring **** Marak5, but opted not to do so.

The dog

Hunt99
02-02-06, 12:03
I thought about including in my review a multi paragraph description of the date, a la that boring **** Marak5, but opted not to do so.I thought everybody enjoys watching a slow-motion train wreck?:p

Thanks for the tip on the place, by the way. I've been looking for a good jazz club to visit in BsAs.

El Perro
02-02-06, 12:21
I might have misled about jazz "every night". Might be best to call ahead of time-4813-6888. They are also online at www.notorious.com.ar. BTW, has Jackson ever deep sixed a thread in the past due to "narcissistic jacking off"? Today Marak5 admits he never reads responses to his posts. What the. Talk about a waste of space! Jackson is providing a forum for this guy to write his fucking diary. Hey, whatever, maybe Marak5 has an embarrassed fan club that won't own up to drooling daily over his dispatches from dumb fuck land! That would account for his continued existence.

Dickhead
02-02-06, 13:40
Notorious has primarily jazz but really it has a very nice and eclectic mix of every type of music. It's a very small venue so lends itself well to vocalists accompanied by one or two instruments. I like it a lot. Shows start at 10 PM but one would be well advised to get there at 9 because a lot of the tables have no view of the stage. The waitresses tend to be very cute ranging to extremely cute.

El Perro
02-02-06, 13:55
Did a bit more research today. There is also a jazz club in Palermo called Thelonious (www.thelonious.com.ar -very slick page) I'll check that out soon. I plan to make the jazz rounds.

Andres
02-02-06, 21:10
Did a bit more research today. There is also a jazz club in Palermo called Thelonious (www.thelonious.com.ar -very slick page) I'll check that out soon. I plan to make the jazz rounds.Thelonious is a nice place for jazz performances.

2 recommendations:

1) It is small and has few tables and a long bar, so go early (at least, 45 minutes before the scheduled time) to secure a table.

2) There's almost no food, just pizza and a few snacks, so don't expect to have dinner there.

It closes on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Hope this helps,

Andres

AllIWantIsLove
02-18-06, 19:41
OK, I got the address from the web site. But Callao is one long street and I have no idea where 966 is, and my free map isn't much help.

So, if anyone knows the nearest cross street I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi AllIWantisLove,

Try using [/url]http://www.cybermapa.com.ar[/url]

Enter the address and it will present you with a map containing an indicator at the address you entered.

Thanks,

Jackson

Mpexy
02-18-06, 20:44
It's not the nearest cross street, but to point you in the right direction, Callao 1234 is right on Callao and Arenales, with the block before at Juncal being 1300.

So the 900-1000 range would be going up Callao towards Sante Fe, cross that, and keep going till you get to the 900's most likely right around the Callao and Cordoba cross street.

El Perro
02-18-06, 21:12
I think Mpexy has got it about right. Remember, it looks like a CD store from the street, so don't miss it.

Sportsman
02-18-06, 21:29
966 Callao should be between Marcelo T. De Alvear and Paraguay.

El Perro
02-18-06, 21:31
By the way, I bought a copy of La Nacion today to assist in my apartment hunt. In the "Espectaculos" section they had a great description of local jazz offered this week. At Notorious, Thelonious and Perro Andaluz, and other venues that I don't know about. My spanish skills are rudimentary but I could tell who, when and where. You won't find that info in the Herald. Definitely a must for live music fans.

The dog

AllIWantIsLove
02-19-06, 11:20
Thanks for the help gentlemen. (Jackson, that's a great web site; one of the most useful I've ever encountered.

Now if only I had been bright enough to realize that I might need a reservation!

Next time I will call (and hope that my very poor Spanish will do)

Thanks again guys, Bob

El Perro
02-19-06, 12:27
Thanks for the help gentlemen. (Jackson, that's a great web site; one of the most useful I've ever encountered.

Now if only I had been bright enough to realize that I might need a reservation!

Next time I will call (and hope that my very poor Spanish will do)

Thanks again guys, BobGood luck next time! When I was there about two Saturdays ago it was packed.

Marak5
02-20-06, 13:09
a la that boring **** Marak5, but opted not to do so.

The dogDamn, I was hoping for another report about cbjs, bbjs, mish, doggie, and a climax. Never can get enough of em. But I'm sure you had a splendid time if you're still talking about me in your reports 3 weeks later.

Lates,

Marak5

Strad
02-20-06, 15:29
Notorious is my favorite place for Jazz. I go there often solo, four blocks away. 10~15p can get you in. I realize pre-reservation a must but even I make a reservation, I still get to sent to a stool around the bar. The reason is reservations are full. I don't know how full they are, I have no way of knowing. They have tables fit for four, so it is whole table of food against a couple of beer sales. If my theory is right, they have tables but purposely not to give me regardless my reservation.

Strad

El Perro
02-20-06, 15:41
Strad,

That sounds like a good theory. Makes bidness sense anyhow. How is it sitting at the bar? I have been once and really liked the place. I plan to get back there alot.

Strad
02-20-06, 17:01
There are 4~5 bar stools located in the rare right. If you have drink on the bar, then you are facing away from the stage, so you have to turn around, away from your favorite beer. Sitting on the stool for 2 hours is not that comfortable but if the program is good, and the place is full, you have better advantage than those who are standing. The first bar stool has a full view but if you are not get the first stool, try to get the second, the view is getting worth from there.

Strad.

Strad,

That sounds like a good theory. Makes bidness sense anyhow. How is it sitting at the bar? I have been once and really liked the place. I plan to get back there alot.

Big Bob 7
03-18-06, 03:05
There are 4~5 bar stools located in the rare right. If you have drink on the bar, then you are facing away from the stage, so you have to turn around, away from your favorite beer. Sitting on the stool for 2 hours is not that comfortable but if the program is good, and the place is full, you have better advantage than those who are standing. The first bar stool has a full view but if you are not get the first stool, try to get the second, the view is getting worth from there.

Strad.I've been to the Notorious on Callao and I really liked the vibe and the music that I heard there but I read in a guuidebook that there is another location. Has anyone here in this forum been to the other Notorious. It is supposed to be located in a bookstore. I think that it is the Gandhi or Foro bookstore or something like that. I wonder if the hours and the music are the same?

El Perro
03-18-06, 11:18
I've been to the Notorious on Callao and I really liked the vibe and the music that I heard there but I read in a guuidebook that there is another location. Has anyone here in this forum been to the other Notorious. It is supposed to be located in a bookstore. I think that it is the Gandhi or Foro bookstore or something like that. I wonder if the hours and the music are the same?Big Bob 7,

I haven't heard of another Notorious, and no mention of another on their website. If you find that there is one, let us know.

http://www.notorious.com.ar/notorious/aspWeb/Index.asp

Seismo
04-10-06, 20:27
One block south of Notorious, on the 800 block of Callao, is CLASICA & MODERNO, cafe with live entertainment (usually jazz) nightly. There is a small bookstore in the back. May be closed on Mondays if I recall. Certainly worth a look if you are in Notorious.

Dickhead
05-23-06, 20:52
Went to Notorious Saturday night with a QPP and saw a nice show by a band by the name of? I don't remember. It was good, very laid back, lots of trim there. Older trim, younger trim, and middle aged trim. 18 pesos each for the show and a nice bottle of white wine for 21,50. This was the 2130 (9:30 PM) show. They had a Brazilian band earlier at I believe 1800 and another band was scheduled for 0030. I bought the CD for the QPP for an additional 20 pesos.

Recommended. The waitresses aren't that cute, though. We had a waiter who was not a flagrant homosexual and gave good service, but the servers are mostly female.

El Perro
05-27-06, 11:41
I saw my first poor show at Notorious last night after many positive experiences. This was Delfina Oliver, an attractive chica singer "interpreting" classic jazz tunes by Miles, Monk, and Mingus. She added her lyrics to these tunes. What a fucking disaster. Overly mannered, didn't swing, and the chick has a nasally, little girl voice that I hated from the first word. Of course, the well heeled crowd appeared to love it, and as usual, interrupted with applause after every fucking instumental, like a bunch of dumb ass Pavlov dogs. 18p for entrance and 22p ! for my jack and water that I downed in a hurry. I was back on the streets after two songs.

Hey Jackson, I am thinking about becoming a jazz critic without portfolio. Can I start a "Dog's Jazz Musings" thread so I don't bore the hell out of readers who want to read about Notorious without my opinions?

Eric Dolphy Dog

===============================================

Hi Dog,

If Exon can start a thread on his favorite jackoff websites, and DickHead can start a thread on his cooking experiences, then why not a thread on "Dog's Jazz Musings"?

I say "Gofor it!"

Thanks,

Jackson

Bacchus9
05-27-06, 14:43
Yes Jackson, please, a Jazz critic thread for doggboy. Until you get your own thread Notorious works since their program is dedicated to same.

I didn't see the show you're describing but I did go to hear Wayne Shorter at Gran Teatro Rex when he was here and there was an Argie opening duo act that was so terrible that, just as you say, received enthusiastic applause and moans so before I started booing I walked out to the atrium until they finally left the stage. What part of the national culture that is about I would really like to know. On the other hand maybe it explains what happens to classic food dishes that turn up here in unrecognizable and inedible forms.

Wayne Shorter with Danilo Perez on piano, John Patitucci on bass, and Brian Blade on drums were non pareil.

El Perro
05-27-06, 15:29
Bacchus9,

Thanks for the thumbs up for a jazz thread. How long ago was the Wayne Shorter gig? I have been pleasently surprised with the quality of jazz around town. Plus, alot of good young players. One of my pet peeves is the obligatory applause from the crowd while the music is ongoing. They fail to realize that some of the most beautiful moments in jazz occur when there is a change from one instrument to another. Much of that applause crap is ego driven. The assholes trying to be "part of the show". Gotta say however that it is not purely an Argie phenomenon. Same thing in the states. Anyway, one bad apple show is no big deal. That chick has been there every Saturday night this month! Ouch!

Dog

Bacchus9
05-27-06, 16:07
Brill! Wayne Shorter was here in October 2005. I agree, there's talent here and the trick is finding the gig and sometimes getting into the small clubs where they're playing. Ditto the pavlov applause problem. Who needs your applause? Sit on your hands and don't get in the way.

Bueno, I look forward to more on this subject.

I've been intrigued to find some chicas in boliches express interest in jazz over the usual fare. Too bad there are no whorehouse blues clubs. Maybe in heaven, err hell.

BundaLover
07-25-06, 14:46
Notorius is a combination CD store / longe and cafe / club.

It is about 950 Callao between Cordoba and Santa Fe. I rented an apartment a few doors down and dropped in at least once per day last week. The CD's are all priced about 25 pesos and they carry, Jazz, Tango, Brasilian, and Pop. They have about 8 listenning stations that allow you to sample before purchase. Great prices by US comparision. Its slow during the day and picks up the afternnoon. The CD store is in the front. Towards the rear there is a narrow walkway with tables and then a bar area and then seating and stage. I'd say it holds about 100 on a busy night. The tables are close together and the bar is small. You need reservations for Fri-Sat and even then the policy is to give the up front tables to diners. I was in Siberia twice. It does not provide a good layout for mingling and a single girl would not be caught dead at the bar.

Lots of girls in groups before the show having coffee. I'd say prime time is 7-9pm. I don't think they stay for the show.

Hard drinks about 17 pesos. Typical consumation during show about 20 pesos, cover 20 pesos or less.

The local girls like to be taken here. Much more of a formica and industrial envirnoment then Million. But Million was always dead whenever I dropped in.

Some nights they have 3 bands. They have live music 6 days a week. They have intro to jazz appreaciation classes and tango during the afternoon too. If you are bored at 9-11 pm I would drop in here without hesitiation as BaAs does not have too much live music IMHO

El Perro
07-25-06, 15:24
BundaLover,

Nice post about Notorious. You might also want to check out Thelonious in Palermo. There's a thread under "clubs and boliches". The surroundings are not as upscale as Notorious but the music is very good, with some shows having more of a rock n' roll flavor. Often they have the rock n' roll / jazz music at the late night spot of midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. In fact, I often prefer Thelonious, as I find, at times, the music at Notorious, and the presentation, a little pretentious. Not a place for dinner however, and the crowd is generally a little younger. A nice counterpoint to Notorious.

Dogg

Strad
08-26-06, 15:20
I went to Notorious for Bosa Nova + Jazz last night. All full, got the last bar stool. A$R18 at the door, plus a minimum AR15. Waitresses are still the same, I quote DH, "dorable".

Cover used to be 10 pesos or even 5, no minimum was required. More varieties on food menu but on the upper price.

An inflation?

Big Bob 7
08-26-06, 18:39
I think that Notorious is a great place but it sucks that they have hiked the price up. I hope that they don't raise it at Thelonious as well. My advice on Notorious is go have a great time and enjoy the music but DO NOT eat the food there. It is really bad IMHO.

El Perro
08-26-06, 18:57
I went to Notorious for Bosa Nova + Jazz last night. All full, got the last bar stool. A$R18 at the door, plus a minimum AR15. Waitresses are still the same, I quote DH, "dorable".

Cover used to be 10 pesos or even 5, no minimum was required. More varieties on food menu but on the upper price.

An inflation?Strad,

I've noticed the cover varying per the act, but I agree 18p is pretty steep. I think this more of the charge what the market will bear mentality that seems to be getting really stoked up in BA over the past few months (or maybe longer than that according to some who have been here alot longer than I have) And the food ain't so great either. BUT, compare these prices to seeing decent music of any sort in the states. Still a bargain.