PDA

View Full Version : Book Exchange

AllIWantIsLove
02-09-06, 19:25
I expect that many of us here enjoy serious intellectual pursuits whilst not fucking our brains out. I wonder if there might be any other readers interested in a book exchange.

At the moment I have "Trace" by Patricia Cornwell, one of her Kay Scarpetta novels, and "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. Both have been on the NYT bestseller list.

If you are interested in either post what you have to exchange. In fact, post what you have to exchange even if you are not interested in one of mine. Somebody else might have one you are interested in.

AllIWantIsLove (but I get by with a little sex from my chica friends)

Hunt99
02-09-06, 21:03
I will trade you those two for:

"Creating the Future: The Massachusetts Comeback and Its Promise for America" by Michael Dukakis, and.

"The Feminine Mystique" by Betty Friedan.

Both of them have been on the NYT bestseller list, too. Let me know.

El Perro
02-09-06, 22:24
Whaddaya mean! You ain't parting with that copy of "The Female Eunuch" you keep next to the shitter?

Moore
02-10-06, 02:06
Does anyone have the Argentine edition of "Real Estate Investing for Dummies"?

I will trade "Dow 100,000" or "Hot Commodities" by Jim Rogers for it.

El Perro
02-10-06, 02:07
Don't throw that away-I need that one.

Norman Stormin
02-10-06, 12:40
Just click on the search tool, click advanced search, and type in the secret code word Saint. It's a hard, verbose read. But this way there's no need to give up any of your valuable novel collection.

AllIWantIsLove
02-20-06, 11:03
Having finished another book gives me an excuse to try to bring this thread back to life and, hopefully, execute an exchange with someone. I now have.

"Trace" by Patricia Cornwell, one of her Kay Scarpetta novels, "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, and "Memoirs of a Geisha", by Arthur Golden. The first two have been on the NYT bestseller list. "Memoirs of a Geisha" doesn't say anything about the NYT bestseller list but does claim to be "The #1 International Bestseller"; and, of course, has been made into a major motion picture.

If you are interested in one of my books post what you have to exchange. In fact, post what you have to exchange even if you are not interested in one of mine. Somebody else might be interested.

AllIWantIsLove (but I get by with a little sex from my chica friends)

AllIWantIsLove
03-16-07, 20:22
The sources I am aware of for used paperbacks in English.

Someone else pointed out a while back that there is a book exchange at the South American Explorers clubhouse, Estados Unidos 577 between Peru and Bolivar (http://www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires/) I went today and learned that the selection is rather small. Also, you turn in a book and you take a book. You can't turn in a book and earn a credit which you can redeem later. AND, you have to be a member which costs $50 per year. Note, as was also pointed out by a / the previous poster, that membership includes some storage priviledge, but I have no details on that.

As Capt. Dave has pointed out in the past there's a decent collection of used paperbacks available at the Mansion too.

Today I discovered a book store of mostly used books in English at 617 Estados Unidos, between Peru and Chacabuco. Prices seem reasonable, I paid $10 pesos for a John Grisham. The owner said that he buys and exchanges used paperbooks too.

I would of course rather be so busy screwing that I didn't have time to read. But my energy and wallet don't allow me to be screwing every waking minute and I find reading an acceptable diversion.

Bob

Daddy Rulz
03-16-07, 21:20
While my reading is generally limited to comic and coloring books I have noticed that almost without exception every used bookstore I have been to here has an English section. Sometimes there are not many but they almost always have some. If anybody sees some "giving bottom for dummies" make sure to send the local to Hunt.

Sorry couldn't help myself.

AllIWantIsLove
02-04-08, 20:51
I've had trouble finding an old post of mine so this is a repeat of that earlier post with a more search friendly title and a bit of additional information.

You can buy used books in English at 617 Estados Unidos, between Peru and Chacabuco. Prices seem reasonable, I paid $10 pesos for a John Grisham. The owner said that he buys and exchanges used paperbooks too. The name of the place is Walrus Books. Open Tuesday thru Sunday, 10am - 8pm. BUT I was there today, not knowing that they are closed on Monday, and there was a sign in the window saying that summer hours are 2pm -? Pm, I do not recall the summer closing time. On the Internet I found this phone number: 11-4777-0632. But I am not sure if that is current - this is the number they used at an earlier location. But since it is a cell number it certainly could be that they still use it. I think that from most phones you have do dial this number with a 15-, not an 11-, prefix.

Bob

Aqualung
02-04-08, 21:30
11-4777-0632 is a land phone not a cell phone. Prefix 11 is the city code for Buenos Aires.

I'll have to check the place you say. I often buy at ABC which is on Maipu between Paraguay and Cordoba they usually have a few second hand English books. Many of the book shops on Avda de Mayo around the crossing with Florida have some.

El Perro
02-04-08, 22:38
11-4777-0632 is a land phone not a cell phone. Prefix 11 is the city code for Buenos Aires.

I'll have to check the place you say. I often buy at ABC which is on Maipu between Paraguay and Cordoba they usually have a few second hand English books. Many of the book shops on Avda de Mayo around the crossing with Florida have some.Walrus is a real nice place with a pretty decent selection, primarily fiction, but a little of everything. A very short hop around the corner to Gibralter if you are there after 6pm.

AllIWantIsLove
02-05-08, 10:12
Aqualung, MY cell phone has an 11- prefix! (I. E. The paperwork from Personal says the number begins with 11. But if I want to dial my cell phone from my land line I have to change the 11- to 15-. What I was told by someone, I forget who, is that Personal uses the 11- prefix and you can use it if you are calling FROM another Personal phone, but from all other phones you have to use 15-.

Bob.

I'll have to check the place you say. I often buy at ABC which is on Maipu between Paraguay and Cordoba they usually have a few second hand English books. Many of the book shops on Avda de Mayo around the crossing with Florida have some.

AllIWantIsLove
02-07-08, 12:03
Used books in English. Mostly, maybe totally, paperbacks. He buys, sells and exchanges. Last year I bought a John Grisham for $10 pesos. Yesterday they traded me three popular paperbacks for two popular paperbacks. And paid me $8 pesos for another paperback. I bought a paperback for $30 pesos. It was "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. On Amazon a new copy would only cost you $10 and change (US dollars) So that wasn't a great deal.

Walrus Books.
617 Estados Unidos, between Peru and Chacabuco.
4300-7135
Tuesday - Sunday, 10am - 8pm.
walrusbooksbuenosaires@yahoo.com