PDA

View Full Version : Katmandu 3547 Cordoba (Indian)

One Tree Hill
02-16-06, 20:59
Not far from Salome.

Very good and authentic Indian food. I had Roganjosh at the indian hot level. It was damn hot! No problem with spices here.

Lamb curry - good.

Roganjosh - very good.

Jasmin rice - excellent.

Nan bread and samoosa - very good.

Apple cinnamon tea - outstanding - real apple pieces in it.

Prices - moderate. Total for 2 135P incl 2 beers and 1 water.

A sample of sauces was put on the table, not sure if chutneys are available or not.

I believe this restaurant is co-owned along with Mumbai in the micro center (Paraguay and San Martin) May try that one this weekend.

Member #3320
09-22-08, 03:14
I happen to eat here for first time this visit, along with another monger.

FYI, Katmandu is the capital of Nepal, a small country on North of India.

Nepal is generally not known for its cuisine and hence I never understood the idea of calling this restaurant "Katmandu"! They are basically serving Indian food and is the sister restaurant of "Mumbai" also in BA.

PRICES: Not so expensive. I had a really great meal for 85ARS and was really full. Combined price for the two of us was 170 ARS.

QUALITY OF FOOD: Excellent.

QUANTITY of FOOD: Excellent.

WHAT DID WE ORDER: We ordered butter chicken, dal makhani and dum aloo, along with garlic naan and rice. I also had 2 beers.

AMBIENCE: ordinary.

SERVICE: very good. Its definitely ahead in matter of service as compared to other Indian restaurant "Tandoor" where the waiters are almost dastardly in their behavior! I have started avoid "tandoor" (though food is good) basically cos of the very rude service by the waiters.

DO I RECOMmEND THIS PLACE?

Its the BEST option for Indian food in my view as food is decent and service is good. It lacks in ambience but makes up with taste of food & service.

TRIVIA.

When the bill came, I found we were charged extra "15 ARS" for no reason. I pointed it out to the waiter and it was corrected immediately without any argument.

Enjoy BA

Ray111
03-26-09, 16:08
I rate this place, great rottis, naans and tandoori chicken. They have a proper high temperature clay tandoori oven, not just a grill like some impostors use.

Obviously it's not half as good as the Indian food in the UK with the large indian influx, but there's not much choice in BA and it's lucky this place exists.

Mike12
03-29-09, 06:39
Went here a couple years ago and was not impressed. Can't remember the details but they did not have my favorite Aloo Gobi, and the Navratan Korma was a mystery.

The wait staff was a bunch of weirdos straight out of the movie 'Waiting.' One waiter was as bizarre as can be, another swished around dressed like an Indian, and the waitress Maria had a Bindi (dot) on her forehead but was Argentine.

A very strange experience to say the least. Have heard it said that Argentineans do not like anything spicier than pepper; Plus I find it had to believe there are only two Indian restaurants in a city the size of BsAs, and two in Rio.

Amantelondres
03-29-09, 07:40
Actually Mike, I believe there are more than two serving Indian food. I've had good meals at Tandoor (see BA Herald for address) You're right that Argentines don't like their food too spicy though on my visits to Tandoor most patrons were locals. Just make sure you ask the witer for extra chillies, or to use local slang for chillies, "puta que te pareo".

As for the bindi, this signifies their religion not their nationality. I know several brits in the UK who have bindis and who are English.

Member #3320
03-29-09, 18:47
Please refer to my review of Kathmandu in 2008.

I have not been there in 2009 but I am sure its keeping up with the good taste in food.

Kathmandu versus Tandoor.

Kathmandu, has great tasting food, excellent service, ordinary ambience, the owner being in the business for many many years now. Most of the patrons are visiting Indians, Pakistanis though.

Vis-a-vis.

Tandoor, excellent ambience, located in the posh barrio norte, but the good points end here. The food is v ordinary and the service v haughty. It is being run by a Indian engineer who decided to settle in BA.

For going out for a date or business dinner, tandoor is a good choice.

However if its good authentic Indian food you looking for, kathmandu wins hands down!!

Amantelondres
03-30-09, 15:21
Mike,

My apologies. Was rightfully corrected by another forum member. Do not ask for Puta que te pareo as that'll get you killed! Just ask for Puta Pareo. Hope you're still alive!

Mike12
04-04-09, 08:19
Mike,

My apologies. Was rightfully corrected by another forum member. Do not ask for Puta que te pareo as that'll get you killed! Just ask for Puta Pareo. Hope you're still alive!Thanks for the info Amantelondres and yes I am still alive. I eat alot of Indian, Pakistani, and Bengali cuisine to the point of buying the microwaveable RTE box foods for a dollar you can find in Indian grocery stores. SWAD, MTR, and Joy to name a few, although the MTR Alu Methi is fantastic.

The Katmandu dining experience was like eating Argentine vegetarian labeled Indian. Wish I was in BsAs to try it again though.

Member #3320
10-11-09, 16:55
I happen to eat here for first time this visit, along with another monger.

FYI, Katmandu is the capital of Nepal, a small country on North of India.

Nepal is generally not known for its cuisine and hence I never understood the idea of calling this restaurant "Katmandu"! They are basically serving Indian food and is the sister restaurant of "Mumbai" also in BA.

PRICES: Not so expensive. I had a really great meal for 85ARS and was really full. Combined price for the two of us was 170 ARS.

QUALITY OF FOOD: Excellent.

QUANTITY of FOOD: Excellent.

WHAT DID WE ORDER: We ordered butter chicken, dal makhani and dum aloo, along with garlic naan and rice. I also had 2 beers.

AMBIENCE: ordinary.

SERVICE: very good. Its definitely ahead in matter of service as compared to other Indian restaurant "Tandoor" where the waiters are almost dastardly in their behavior! I have started avoid "tandoor" (though food is good) basically cos of the very rude service by the waiters.

DO I RECOMmEND THIS PLACE?

Its the BEST option for Indian food in my view as food is decent and service is good. It lacks in ambience but makes up with taste of food & service.

TRIVIA.

When the bill came, I found we were charged extra "15 ARS" for no reason. I pointed it out to the waiter and it was corrected immediately without any argument.

Enjoy BAUpdate on my review of last year.

Things remain more or less same as last year except the following:-

A) The mediocre ambience has gone further down by few notches.

B) The service which was good has gone down a wee bit too. The waiters looked absolutely disinterested.

C) On a Sat night, it was absolutely empty.

D) The food in my opinion remains pretty good as before.