PDA

View Full Version : What to wear?

Tbird
02-16-06, 21:33
Having heard a lot about how well-dressed people in Argentina are, I would like some advice on what clothes to bring during my trip in late March. I do not own any designer clothing and do not really want to buy any; at the same time I feel I should take it up a notch compared to the usual jeans / fleece / Dr. Martin shoes I wear around here at this time of year.

Any suggestions? I know I will never pass for a porteno, and that is not the purpose. The purpose is to look decent. I am planning on bringing a few pairs of light slacks or chinos, comfortable but good-looking shoes, etc.

El Perro
02-16-06, 22:00
For what it's worth after my 4 weeks here, I wouldn't sweat the clothes. Unless your aim is high flying non pros hanging out in fancy restaurants or hotels you will do fine with regular duds. Don't dress like Pee Wee Herman or Mr. Roberts and you'll fit in.

Rock Harders
02-17-06, 00:45
Tbird-

What is appropriate to wear in Buenos Aires depends greatly on YOU, and what the purpose of you trip to Buenos Aires is. If you are an older guy that is not in tip top shape you would obviously dress differently than a younger buff guy. For older guys, I would suggest dressing in khaki and button down shirt kind of getups, nothing too formal, doggboy is right, the need to "dressup" in Bs. As. Is overstated. This sort of attire is fine for going out mongering with fellow mongers, and trying to remain inconspicuous in general.

However, if you are younger, and are in Bs. As. To go out hunting for hot non-pro poontang at the "in" bars and clubs, you gonna need to dress less formal and more stylish, and show off what you got. I've lived in Bs. As. For a total of 6 months, and I'm not a dressing up kind of guy, (I'm a young guy) I usually just go out in jeans and a "stylish" t-shirt or short sleeve button down or polo type shirt.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Tbird
02-17-06, 01:11
Well, I am 39, so I guess I fall somewhere in the middle as far as categories go; I am not in perfect shape but surely am not grossly overweight.

Since I am not going to fly 9 hours to hunt non-pros, I guess I will take your advice and just dress slightly above casual (less emphasis on jeans, more on slacks and shirts)

See you guys soon! BTW, who wants to meet up? PM me.

Marak5
02-17-06, 06:25
They really love Americans so you have to play the part. Here's the best thing to do:

1) Recycle your Zubaz from 1988. Hopefully they are a really obnoxious pair.

2) Wear American football jerseys. Make sure to go around telling people that football only exists in America and soccer sucks.

3) Buy a pair Air Jordans. Get in arguments over who is better - Michael Jordan or Ginobli? Just scoff if they even challenge you.

4) Gain 25-35lbs before you arrive. Make sure to tell everyone that a large stomach = wealth in the USA.

Do this and girls in cabarets will be all over you!

Starfe
02-17-06, 11:47
So you're saying its ok to bring my " GREENSPAN KICKS ASS " t-shirt is ok?

Starfe

Exon123
02-17-06, 12:33
TBird,

Wear "BLACK" and you'll fit right in, its the national color. Oh, and don't get a hair cut for a couple of months before you arrive. That way everyone will think your a "Portano".

Exon

Hi Exon,

What's a "Portano"?

Thanks,

Jackson

Hunt99
02-17-06, 13:03
So you're saying its ok to bring my " GREENSPAN KICKS ASS " t-shirt is ok?

StarfeThat's so five minutes ago. My new shirt says "My Big Ben is Bernanke"

El Aleman
02-17-06, 15:25
Tbird,

I think the "well dressed" refers mostly to a business environment, where you certainly meet a lot of well and tastefully dressed people, like in many latin countries, I. E. Italy, Spain or France. For your intentions, however, it is more than adequate to leave the ties at home. The advise given in this thread should do.

One more thing: no sneakers. Nice shoes (anhd other leather goods) are cheap in Argentina, leather is a byproduct of bife de chorizo!

Have fun,

El Alemán

El Perro
02-17-06, 16:35
Good point about the sneakers. They scream Yanqui!

Exon123
02-17-06, 20:01
TBird,

Wear "BLACK" and you'll fit right in, its the national color. Oh, and don't get a hair cut for a couple of months before you arrive. That way everyone will think your a "Portano".

Exon.

Hi Exon,

What's a "Portano"?

Thanks,

Jackson.

Thats a Monger from Utah Jackson

Who wants to look like a monger from Utah?

Thanks,

Jackson

Tbird
02-18-06, 01:30
They really love Americans so you have to play the part. Here's the best thing to do:

1) Recycle your Zubaz from 1988. Hopefully they are a really obnoxious pair.

2) Wear American football jerseys. Make sure to go around telling people that football only exists in America and soccer sucks.

3) Buy a pair Air Jordans. Get in arguments over who is better - Michael Jordan or Ginobli? Just scoff if they even challenge you.

4) Gain 25-35lbs before you arrive. Make sure to tell everyone that a large stomach = wealth in the USA.

Do this and girls in cabarets will be all over you!You are killing me! Also, I suppose I should pretend I do not speak any Spanish, and, when not understood, speak SLOWLY AND INCREASINGLY LOUDER AND LOUDER in English.

Hobby Fan
02-18-06, 19:59
Dirk's advice is good as to dress.

A Porteño (port person, literally) is someone who was born within the City limits of Buenos Aires (the port city of Argentina, and note that suburbs do not count, nor does moving to BA at age 1 and living their 50 years)

Jjgoinslow
02-19-06, 20:19
Shoes, I found Mendoza to have better deals on shoes. I imagine BsAs has great deals as well, just maybe harder to find cause there are alot of tourist trap shopping areas. You can find shoes here for $50 that smoke anything you can find in the states IMHO. So yes, this is a great place (maybe the best place) to buy up multiple pairs of shoes to bring back home if thats your thing. Ive been to italy (a purported leather and shoe center in the world) and here I think you can find shoes of comparable, often better quality and style for alot less dinero.

Jj

Tbird
02-21-06, 01:37
I assume this is a different city or town? How far away is it? Is it worth a separate shopping trip? I am really interested. I would also like to shop for a GOOD leather jacket, something that sells at a store like Johnston & Murphy in the USA for around $500 - I just do not want to pay 500 USD. That is 1,500 pesos. And we all know how much fun can be had in BA for 1,500 pesos:-)

Rock Harders
02-21-06, 03:20
T-Bird-

Mendoza is a city located on the western edge of Argentina (in Mendoza province) in what is essentially a desert at the foothills of the Andes Mountains. The city is known as the land of "sol why vino", literally Sun and wine, as it rains only a few days per year and the region is becoming "world renowned" for the Malbec, and other types, of wine it produces. The city itself is nice, and as with most provincial cities, is significantly less expensive than the Capital Federal for most goods. It is no more than 2 hours by plane from Buenos Aires via aeroparque.

Suerte,

Dirk

El Aleman
02-21-06, 07:44
Tbird,

You will find the same quality of shoes and other leather goods as in Italy, at about the "same" price. Only in Italy it's Euros and in Argentina pesos. One hint: contact Roxana about your shoping needs, she can help!

El Alemán